[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How easy is it to move to Tokyo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (312KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312KB, 2000x1000px
So my apartment lease is up in april, and I'd like to move to New York, but I'd really like to move to Tokyo.

Only problems (dumb excuses?) I don't speak Japanese very fluently, though I have some comprehension of it and can learn quickly if I'm there.

I'm a designer, and could easily get a six figure job in New York, but it'd be more exciting to go to another country, and I think it could be fun to work at a bar.

I also have a cat and need to bring him with me. I know it's possible but not sure how or how long it takes.

Anyone have any experience doing this, tips, advice?
>>
Honestly, just stay in New York. You'll be treated better (the Japs don't like non-Japs).

Take a week long vacation to Tokyo if you really need to experience it.
>>
You can't just move to Japan and work in a bar. They don't want you unless you ply a proper skill, start a business or marry a local.

>can learn quickly if I'm there
Everyone thinks that.

>I also have a cat and need to bring him with me.
Holy fuck, this special snowflake stuff is a red flag. Japan will grind you down into a fine powder.
>>
Don't move to Japan. You wouldn't make it out here with that mindset.

Either you make 6 figures in New York or barely make 2,400,000 yen a year (20K-24K USD). Which is the average salary for someone living in Tokyo.

Just work your 6 fig job in New York and come out to Tokyo for vacation till you get your fill.
>>
>>1070666
>2,400,000 yen a year
>average salary for someone living in Tokyo
What? where did you get your data? 4mil+ in late 20s, early 30s is easy to get. Even english teacher scum earn more than 2.4mil
>>
>>1070669
>Even english teacher scum earn more than 2.4mil
Maybe 3 million, but salaries are generally not very good.
>>
>>1070669
>where did you get your data?
My Japanese friends and family that actually live and work in Tokyo.

>Even english teacher scum earn more than 2.4mil
Where are you getting this from? Entry level make 2-2.8 mil.

I know people are autistic on this board when it comes to finances, including you. In OP's case you want to look at worst case scenario since he barely knows any Japanese and can 'easily' make six figs in NYC. He's also looking to work at a bar and you think he will be able to rake in more than 2.4 mil?

You're not even taking the context of OP's post, try harder bruh.
>>
>>1070659

Go fuck yourself with that snowflake shit. Just because you don't take enough risks in life doesn't mean people who do think they're "special" or a fucking "individual snowflake"

I never said what I'd like to do would be easy. In fact, I expect it to be a lot of work to get a job and learn a language in a foreign. But the thing is, people do that all over the world all the time, I'd just like to figure out some strategy from people who have actually done it before learning the hard way myself.

Your response is a sign that your own life is probably boring, maybe you should break out of your comfort zone more.
>>
>>1070733
>the weeb is firing shots
>>
>>1070733
>learn a language in a foreign

I'm not the anon you're responding to. With that, learning sufficient Japanese (speaking, reading, and writing) to work in an actual grown-up job is neither easy nor all that common.

>maybe you should break out of your comfort zone more.

Maybe you should. Leaving your cat at home would be a good start, don't you think?
>>
>>1070741

That's why I'm saying just finding a job as a bartender in an international area like Tokyo and live in a cheap AF apt.

The cat comes with.
>>
>>1070742
>>1070733
>>1070638

I am usually the guy to say go for it and dont look back, but in this case you need to really prepare yourself.

You NEED:
>1..oodles of charm, an extremely outgoing and likeable personality.
>3. A 5 figure bank account or being OK with being a homeless shoplifter
>C. Fluent Japanese, I dont mean broken japanese you learned from a manga, I mean, able to hold down a 20 minute conversation

If you got all 3, yeah you're gonna make tons of friends, get a bar job or "token white guy" job super quick, and laid all the time.

If you don't have all 3, go to your 6 figure job and spend every free minute acquiring all things on this list. You should be good to go in a year or 2.

Having said that, it is super easy to shoplift there...
>>
>>1070638
Tokyo resident working for a company here.

You don't just "move to Tokyo." Aren't you aware of the concept of visas and shit?

Your options with no Japanese ability are: Working Holiday Visa, English teaching, getting sponsored by an employer or working for a company that transfers you to Japan. I'm assuming you're American, so Working Holiday is out. I don't know what kind of "designer" you are. Game designer? If that's true, you may get lucky and get a job in games if you're very skilled and experienced.

Your option is basically English teaching. With a bachelor's degree it's not hard.

>I don't speak Japanese very fluently, though I have some comprehension of it and can learn quickly if I'm there.

Everyone believes this meme. If you are not getting constant exposure and practice at every moment, don't expect to learn quickly. Basically, the only way you will achieve quick mastery is by intensive full time language classes and/or a Japanese significant other, preferably cohabitating, preferably both

>>1070742
>The cat comes with.

Get over yourself and your god damn cat. Apartments in Tokyo are not cheap and many (more than in the US at least) are pet free. Tokyo is not nearly as expensive as New York, but it is not cheap.

The odds of you finding enough bartending work to live comfortably are not good.

Your best option is English teaching, and don't expect to bring your stupid cat. Full time English teachers make rock bottom--230,000 (and this is generally at piss easy public school jobs through dispatch companies) ~ 300,000 (direct hire/JET). 230,000 is pretty low, but you could supplement with something else. 300,000 a month is quite comfortable. Average for English teachers is around 250,000. Decent if you're not a club every weekend person. My girlfriend works for the "Japanese IRS" in a career track position (not OL bitch work) and makes about 330,000 yen a month. So the meme about ESL being the absolute poor house is kind of overblown.
>>
>>1070777
>If you are not getting constant exposure and practice at every moment, don't expect to learn quickly.

I just need to emphasize this again, because too many people believe the meme "come to the country become fluent through muh immersion easy peasy"

Japanese is NOT easy.You will encounter people on 4chan or here in Japan who peacock their JLPT N2 or N1 credentials, say they picked it up in no time, etc. etc. It's bullshit. For one, the JPLT doesn't test speaking and the bench mark for passing is pathetically low. You only need the equivalent of a "low F" to pass. It's hilarious.

If you want to live in Tokyo with no Japanese, teach English. The public school jobs are pretty cushy. Especially if you get JET or other direct hire. Then it's gravy train.

That's your only real option as an American with no Japanese ability really. Good luck.
>>
>>1070777
these weebs don't even qualify as travelers because they have no sense of adventure and generally just want to morph into japs.

Stick to your containment board please.
>>
>>1070638
>I'm a designer, and could easily get a six figure job in New York
Can you open up on that? what kind of designer/work
>>
>>1070742
>The cat comes with.
Jesus Christ...
>>
>>1070867

I'm a graphic designer and web designer. I know there are jobs for that in Japan that don't require much Japanese, but I'm not betting on them. Fallback would be some kind of job like a bartender so I could afford a cheap AF apartment.
>>
>>1070907
>Fallback would be some kind of job like a bartender

Do you have any bar tending experience? Because you can't just work there without having somebody sponsor your visa or having a working holiday visa. And yeah, unless you're exceptionally good at bartending I don't think anybody is going to sponsor you
>>
>>1070907
lol this is actual priviledge. You`ve deluded yourself in thinking that because you live in ny, can geta six figure job as a graphics designer that you are qualified as a bar tender/should be easy to get that job, ESPECIALLY in a foreign country. fucking lol
>>
>>1070907
As shit as your odds are at design, they're still better than as a bartender. Look up Robert Walters Japan, as they specialize in overseas recruiting and might have something up your alley.
>>
>>1070923

This is exactly why he won't make it in Tokyo.

With that mindset hes just going to regret moving out there underestimating almost every aspect of life when living overseas.
>>
>>1070863
>don't even respond to my points directly

>HURRR WEEB

Wonderful.
>>
>>1070924
Thanks!
>>
>>1070907
>Fallback would be some kind of job like a bartender so I could afford a cheap AF apartment.
Your fallback option should be teaching English.
>>
>>1071132
Why does OP cling to the belief that he is going to get an apartment and live comfortably off bartending. That's delusional. Bartending is more lucrative in the US because of tipping. Non Japanese bartenders in Japan are generally students and work holiday kids.
>>
>>1071188
>Why does OP cling to the belief that he is going to get an apartment and live comfortably off bartending. That's delusional.

Because OP is delusional. I'm guessing that he's read too many Haruki Murakami novels (cat + booze is a dead giveaway) and thinks Tokyo will be just like those. He wants a fantasy life; the realities pointed out ITT don't seem to interest him at all.
>>
Easiest way to just to move to Japan is a student visa or marrying Jap. At least that's how my friends did it.
>>
so do a search for 'sharla in japan' -- she has many youtube vids out there that will answer most of your questions. on the cat -- u need to check the latest quarantine regulations. aside from most apartment buildings not allowing them -- u may have those quarantine issues. sharla in japan has a few vids on the subject of cats.
>>
>>1071219
Tried to give him a honest assessment of the situation and he just called me a weeb and told me to fuck off without responding to the points. So I guess he really is delusional.

>>1071270
English teaching is easier than marrying a Japanese.
>>
u can lead a horse to water but u can't make him drink...
>>
>>1071282
Not if you know where to look
>>
>>1071188
>Why does OP cling to the belief that he is going to get an apartment and live comfortably off bartending.
He has a dream and he doesn't want anyone else to ruin it.

He asked for help on /trv/ and then fought almost everyone who tried to help him.
>>
>>1071311
You sound pretty whiny desu. if somebody posted that his dream is to climb Mt. Everest in Bermuda shorts and flip flops, he'd be told he's delusional too. If it's something that can't be done, what kind of answer do you expect? "Yeah go for it man, I am sure you can make it"? Do you want people to lie to him? Or do you want people to give him honest and better alternatives?
>>
>>1071311
A chick in this vid teaches English and bar tends in Japan. Has lived there for 4 years. https://youtu.be/O0D7cNvUmTM
>>
>>1071319
>Do you want people to lie to him? Or do you want people to give him honest and better alternatives?
Are you retarded? I was on your side and suggested alternatives which were not taken seriously.
>>
>>1071346
The bartending part is probably illegal
>>
>>1071346
Unless she is on a permanent resident visa the bartending is illegal, though this fact will not be problem for most and most people won't get in trouble or reported.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.