[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music festivals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: sQXzZ7c.jpg (418KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
sQXzZ7c.jpg
418KB, 1536x2048px
The Coachella 2016 lineup is out and I'm torn whether to go or not. Can you guys give me some advice whether it's worth it?

Here's some background info:
>friend offering to sell me a ticket for first weekend
>have to decide by the end of the week
>I have wanted to go to a music festival for years but never been (have been to many concerts before)
>last year came up with the idea of going to Coachella
>lineup comes out and I'm disappointed, I'm more into rock/indie/alt rock type of music
>60% is electronic and the headliners are very meh for me
>still I might not get the opportunity to go again for a long time as I have some other plans for the upcoming years

I have also looked at the money, it will be around $800 for the weekend which would be around 16 of travel for me as I usually travel for around $50 per day. I have money, I'm not wealthy or anything but I have quite a bit saved up so I could still do some traveling but at the same time I always calculate my purchases throughout.

Right now I feel like I will lose both ways. If I go I will be out of money for half a month of travel and if I don't go I will regret not going. If one of the headliners was a band I really like, Black Keys or Arcade Fire for example, this would be a no-brainer. Instead I don't know what the fuck I should do...
>>
>>1066347
I've wanted to go to Coachella the past few years, and this lineup is pretty terrible. The only day I would consider going (personally) is Saturday, but for me it's not worth the flight from Chicago to California for one day of festival, let alone the fucking 2 hour drive from LA to Coachella, not including the ungodly amount of traffic there will be on the way.

Go if you want, but I would save my money for another festival if I were you OP.
>>
>>1066347
>I have wanted to go to a music festival for years but never been
>if I don't go I will regret not going.

These would be my main concern. Money will come back, but opportunities might not.

I'd go.
>>
Why does North American have so little EDM festivals? I don't think anyone in the US even knows what gabber is.
>>
>>1066350
What bands on day 2 do you like? For me day 1 is pretty much the only good day with Lash Shadow Puppets and Of Monsters, a couple of other good bands and I think LCD will be a good band for the festival but I'm not a big fan of theirs or anything.

Calvin Harris though, what a fucking disaster. Top-40 garbage.

>>1066353
Yeah, right now I'm leaning towards not going. Probably at around 80% not interested. If I was earning a lot more money than I am now I would go and if at least 1 of the headliners was a band I really liked I would go as well. The only thing that comes up all the time in my head is that I have other plans for next few years and then I will likely be too old to enjoy this sort of atmosphere.

>>1066363
The music is not very popular here, most clubs I know only play electronic/techno once a week.(on a weekday) The rest of the week it's r&b or top-40. Techno here is often just associated with raves of which a lot of people are afraid because "drugs".
>>
>>1066363
We actually have a shitload as of recent. Festivals are pretty much where that type of music thrives here and tons of corporations jump in making them bigger and bigger every year. Most of it is top 40ish or like beatport top 10 stuff though, aquafina's not about to sponser some gabber artist's dj set.

The more rock-leaning stuff is just publicized more because more people talk about it and they've been around longer, and usually try to host the biggest edm acts anyway.

>>1066347
Why don't you just go to a different festival?
>>
File: coachella valley bugs.jpg (62KB, 659x475px) Image search: [Google]
coachella valley bugs.jpg
62KB, 659x475px
>>1066347
>Can you tell me how to get to the Coachella Valley, and the big carrot festival there-in?
>>
>>1066512
>Why don't you just go to a different festival?
There were a few factors I used for this consideration. One is that I'm hoping to do a road trip down to Cali which would coincide with the festival, it won't be possible with other festivals. Coachella is probably the most famous festival I can go to on this continent and it would likely be the only time I ever go to such an event. And then on top of this I now know someone who has an extra ticket and is renting a house which I could stay in for $30 per night (better than camping).

For the most part, looking back at the lineups from previous years I would have enjoyed almost every single year. Last year wasn't very good either but pretty much every year before that there was at least 1 headliner I really like + multiple good bands. Was hoping last year was a down year and there would be someone amazing at this years festival but no such luck.
>>
>>1066510
Agreed, fuck Calvin Harris.
I saw Gary Clark Jr. open for Outkast a few years ago and he is pretty good, but I would be front and center for Run the Jewels. I really don't listen to many of the artists on any of the days, but given my choice of Saturday I would see Ice Cube, Asap Rocky, and Chvrches, and then hop around from stage to stage and see if there's something new I would enjoy.
>>
>>1066347
Anon, just go. You'll never know what the hell you'll experience and in itself is an adventure you experienced in your life
>>
Hey OP, /Coachella/ fag here

been on four different occasions. I will say the first time I went the festival was utterly life-changing. Great vibes, cool people, incredible music (radio head played that year) and a great balance of EDM and acoustic tunes that you dont find at a lot of festivals. If you dont feel like fist pumping for 12 hours a day you can always mellow out in the grass and listen to Reggae, or get blasted with water at the do-lab. Plus I got laid a few times so thats always a plus.

As its become more popular, however, its gotten oversold and a bit douchey. Still had a blast every year, and still totally worth it. The production value and artistry is pretty much unmatched.

I'd recommend going weekend 2 for a more laid back crowd, and camping is an absolute must. partying in the campsite is half the fun. obviously you'll make friends, but coming with some m8s always helps as well. Show up as early as you can on Thursday. The let you in a day early and its first come first serve for camping spots, and you dont want to be a mile away from the venue.

Hope this helps OP.
>>
>>1066347
If you don't like the main stage headliner, at least one of the smaller tents is guaranteed to have a less-noticed performance that is amazing during that time slot. I've been 5 times so that's 15 nights of Coachella in my life, at least half of those I've ignored the headliner and found based fucking shows like Modeselektor (Thom Yorke showed up), Simian Mobile Disco, Disclosure, Flogging Molly, Devo

Camping is pretty fun, but be prepared to get up early, because it's too hot and bright to sleep in. If you are camping and you want to sleep in past 8 am, you must ensure that you have some sort of a shade-covering that protects you from the rising sun's direct light, but also allows you to get fresh air, because if you're inside a tent, it gets very hot very quickly. A big tarp strung between cars, with an eastern-facing wall is best.

If you want to smuggle anything into the Polo Grounds, a fail-proof method is to shove it into your pants into the space between your balls and your asshole.

If you can't/don't want to camp, start looking now for a rental house in the area. Most of the homes there are not occupied year round and are up for rent for Coachella. It will be expensive, but you defray the costs by getting lots of friends to share it with. It helps you get laid and have parties too. Also you can save on food if you have a kitchen.

Good luck amigo.
>>
>>1066701
>>1066770
I actually posted in >>1066530 that I would be in a rental place so no camping. From what I heard camping is a crapshoot anyways with people being loud all night long and then as you mentioned it gets unbearably hot in the morning already.

I'm not the partying type, I go to concerts for bands I like and not for whatever random band is playing in my city. This is why I think that I just wouldn't fully enjoy this play list because there are few bands I really like on there. I counted only 5 bands I listen to and only 2 of them that I really like, which just doesn't calculate well for me if I'm going to invest $800 into this. None of the headliners and none of the bands in first lines of each day are bands I listen to, not a single one of them. Yeah obviously GNR and LCD would be interesting to see but for not for $800.

Just comparing it to the lineups of 2 years ago or before, there would be at least 3-5 bands I like every day of the festival + interesting acts that I would stumble upon + awesome headliners(even ones I don't listen to likes Snoop would have been cool to see for the novelty). For $800 I want to have a guaranteed good time, not possibly stumble upon a good band.

So the only thing that still keeps me interested is that I want to experience the atmosphere of a great music festival. I'm sure the atmosphere will still be good. Have you guys been to other festivals? Is Coachella better in some way when it comes to the atmosphere? As for the getting laid part, that's definitely not going to happen for me, I'm not an outgoing person and I'm not good looking so random hookups don't happen for me.
>>
>>1066347
It's a shit line up. I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>1066347
>friday
>ellie goulding featuring recorded calvin harris
>sunday
>calvin harris featuring recorded ellie goulding
>mfw people pay twice to hear the same garbage
>>
STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!
>>
>>1066774
37 year old here. more shows than I could even count. in my experience if you are really into music pick 3 of your favorite bands look at their tour schedule. find the smallest venues or the most legendary venues they are playing at and go see them there. if nothing stands out pick a good city and small venue.

or if a festival is in its first year or two and the lineup looks great go check it out. but only if you are under the age of 28.

i think gnr will go down in history with the rolling stones but I would not travel to see them due to their long history of cancelling shows; usually the day of the event. its a lot of wasted money to not see the show.

also after many years your favorite band may not be the best performer. for instance I think local h is a pretty good band. but I would travel up to 5 hours to see them because they are an amazing live band. I probably would not buy a new album but in person its amazing.
>>
Quite pleased that almost every Coachella act I'd want to see is playing Laneway.
>>
LCD, Sufjan Stevens, M83, Purity Ring, Beach House, DEATH GRIPS?!?!?

That sounds fucking awesome. Take me with you.
>>
>>1067793
>>1067801
>>1067802
OP here, I decided not to go after all. I realize that there's more to it than just going for the bands I would like to see but this year there are only 2 bands I really like on this list and it's just not worth spending the amount of money on going. If there were 4 bands like that, including one of the headliners I would have gone. I'll try again next year.

I looked up some other festivals this year and for example these line ups look 100% better for me:

http://www.bottlerocknapavalley.com/
https://fireflyfestival.com/

I feel like I will use the money on traveling instead as the Canadian dollar is so low these days I will likely need it for that. Hopefully next year the list is filled with bands I'd prefer seeing.

>>1067802
I'm not into EDM and while LCD Soundclash will probably have a very good showing it's not a band I would travel for. The only 2 I'd like to see on the list are Of Monsters and Last Shadow Puppets.
>>
>>1067871
another problem with festivals is if you are there for the music the acts that aren't headliners usually have shorter sets. if something happens and they get off schedule a 30 minute set isn't that unusual. so traveling to see your favorite band play for 30 minutes for a bunch of people waiting to see the headliner always sucks.

also the headliners always seem almost forced into playing the crowd favorites.

I just looked tour schedule for Of monster and damn you should check out Honolulu, colombia, capetown, the Philippines, iceland, denmark. Really if you are just a fan of them you probably picked the worst date on their tour.

Last Shadow Puppets however I wouldn't count on them touring after this.

Also as an american you really couldn't go to a worse place to observe Americans in their natural state than a rock music festival. all the memes are in full effect $8 bottle of water $10 beer, bump into you and don't say excuse me, vomit anywhere, pee in the sinks, that sort of thing. so please go to a more civilized place if this would be your first trip.
>>
>>1066347
No point seeing the GnR reunion since Axl Rose will turn up late, then leave early after fighting members of the audience.
>>
>>1068303
I go to the states all the time, just live across the border. I was there on Saturday actually to buy a lottery ticket and eat a good breakfast.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I talked to the girl who was offering to sell me a ticket and she said that it's not worth going for 2 bands, if it was 4 band it would have made financial sense cause on top of those 4 bands there are usually 5-10 other ones you end up enjoying.

>>1068318
Would be hilarious if that actually happened.
>>
>>1066774
Friend, buddy.
If you're going to the atmosphere don't go to Cochella, go to something like
Cali Roots, Electric Forest, Lollapalloza, Bonnaroo, Firefly. Something more vibey and with less frat kids and college bro douchebags. Cochella is filled with nothing but the grown up version of the popular kids table from highschool. Very judgemental crowd that drowns out the love of a music festival. Keep in mind all large events will have these types but do you really want to go to their favorite festival?
>>
>>1068318

I saw GnR at a festival once and this actually happened. He had a tantrum and walked off stage at about the 30 minute point, then came back on 10 minutes later, sang for 5 minutes and then just dropped the mike and left. They were meant to have a 1:30 hour set.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.