[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asia's Lonely Planets, Bangkok's Sandals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

Hey /trv/, I have a flight to Bangkok on January 5th. I will be in Thailand (mostly north), Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and China. I plan to spend about a month in each, maybe less for Laos and Cambodia. The flight back to my home country is on May 24th.

1. I read in travelfish.org that lonely planet's regional guides are "hardly worth using" compared to country-specific books. Should I leave my new copy of "vietnam cambodia laos & northern thailand travel guide" at home and buy a 2nd hand copy of each country's guide when I enter it?

2. I plan to buy sandals in Bangkok (Something lighter and more suitable than my hiking boots for everyday non-trekking activities). Travelfish recommended Teva's brand. What are your opinions? And where should I buy it?

3. I've been told I don't need to buy a new camera since Iphone 4s's one is good enough. Is it true?

Thanks a lot!
>>
Only worry I'd have for using you phone for pictures is that you migjt not be able to have it juiced up on power when you need to take your great scenic pictures, where a camera doesn't dies out of battery in the same way.
>>
>>1065175
>Iphone 4s
If you had an android, you could just pack some spare batteries.

A battery pack for an iphone is bulky but probably a sound investment. Also get the extended battery case as well, couldn't hurt.
>>
Thanks guys. Any insights about the first two questions?

Also: any ideas for where to see local music/culture in SE Asia? Authentic stuff I mean, and without it being in an expensive theater or too tourist-oriented.

pic related: Burma
>>
my iphone4s's camera is significantly shittier than my $100 digital camera, plus my digital takes aa batteries, has a real zoom, and has swappable memory. i don't know how many pics my phone will store, but my camera's 32 gig removable memory card has 4000 pics on it with room for 1000+ more. if i were on a 6 month trip i'd probably even bump it up to 64.
>>
File: 8319795795_80558de852.jpg (177KB, 491x500px) Image search: [Google]
8319795795_80558de852.jpg
177KB, 491x500px
>>1065444
thanks anon. you made me think. I wonder how much would a decent digital camera cost in bangkok. and if there is a specific model/brand I should aim for
>>
>>1065175
>Travelfish recommended Teva's brand.
Teva has a nice arch support and molded heel cup, but they have some slimmed down less awesome models as well. There's a hawaiian brand called Olukai. New Balance is making some nice ones, as well as Spenco. Sometimes they're "recovery" sandals, meaning exaggerated support for post-marathon or long hours in sneakers, kind of to unflatten the flattened down poor soles. I like vionic, and I actually like some Crocs models. But, I caution you not to get too squishy, because at the end of the day too much little bone and tendon movement seems to tire me as much as it's soft and comfy.

I've walked many cities in Tevas, after my feet swelled on the plane from booze. They were the only shoes that fit well first day :P
>>
>>1065302
Isan (NE Thailand) is always having outdoor concerts/festivals and their "molam" music is the Thai equivalent of country/folk music
>>
>>1065302
>local music/culture in SE Asia?
If you manage to be in Cambodia when there is a Cambodian Space Project or even better, Dengue Fever concert on, go there.

To the uninitiated it might just sound like western stuff with Khmer singing, but it actually ties into a musical tradition from the late sixties, when locals adopted the music they heard on US forces radio and made it their own.
>>
File: 16059844822_48e91d94c7.jpg (85KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
16059844822_48e91d94c7.jpg
85KB, 304x500px
>>1065529
Many brands to choose from :) I just wonder if I should be picky about a specific pair or just select whatever model available as long as the brand name sounds familiar..

>>1065541
Sounds awesome! It's only that I don't plan to go there :/. I'll only land back in Bangkok from Burma at Fabruary 5th. By the time I'll get to Vietnam I reckon it'll be insanely hot..

>>1065640
Reccomendation noted, thanks anon :)
>>
>>1065724
Dude try on the shoes and buy what feels good, and looks durable (or buy 2 pairs). I actually doubt you'll find these specific american brands locally without a lot of expense to you or easily, but I could be wrong *shrug*.
Can't go wrong with suede strapped birkinstocks for durability (make sure they're all leather/suede and without the new trend of fashion-synthetic strap, so you can actually break them in nicely).
>>
>>1065175
You never realize how shitty your camera is until you get a good one. Mirrorless cameras are cheap, light, and quite a few are actually better than big hulking DSLRs. Cell phone cameras should only be used when you see something unexpected, not when you plan to document things you want to remember.
>>
File: JorgeBen.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
JorgeBen.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>1065763
from what I've heard and read today, it seems as if you have to spend at least $300 dollars for a good camera (otherwise stick with iphone 4s)..
Just thought about it too late :/
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.