[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEFL/ESL/Teaching English Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 1

Hey everyone. Since there seems to be alot of interest on this board about living abroad teaching English, I made a thread devoted to it and questions related to it.

I am a English teacher living in Vietnam,I have been living here for 3 years. I am getting married soon and will be living here the rest of my life. I primarily teach children but also tutor college kids on the weekend. I also lived and taught in Japan for one year before moving here. So if anyone has any questions about teaching in Vietnam or Japan let me know and I will do my best to answer your questions.
>>
How'd you start? What are your qualifications?
What do you most enjoy about your job, and what do you hate the most?
>>
>>1063212
I got a degree in English not knowing what I really wanted to do with my life, I knew a guy who taught English in Japan so I said fuck it and flew to Japan with my diploma. After a few days of job searching I got a job at a kindergarten. After a year I got really sick of Japan for a wide variety of reasons and moved to Vietnam, which I like a lot better.

I enjoy helping kids and improving their lives by giving them a very valuable skill, being able to speak English, it makes me feel good. I also enjoy that I make enough money that I can afford to rent out a 3 bedroom house in one of the best neighborhood in Saigon all to myself.

What do I hate the most? Nothing sticks out as something I really hate, some of the kids are stubborn and parents can be too. The usual annoyances that come with teaching kids.
>>
>>1063215
What it takes to teach English in Vietnam?
I've been there last year and I was loving the country. I'm a european and I don't have any degree in English besides my C1 certificate.
>>
>>1063217
You have to have to be able to speak and write English fluently. Also having a bachelors degree and being white will help you a lot.
>>
>>1063215
>I can afford to rent out a 3 bedroom house in one of the best neighborhood in Saigon all to myself.

Confirmed for troll. /trv/ has told me many times that ESL pays poorly and you can't make it a career.
>>
>>1063220
Well, I have a master's degree in economics and I'm as white as Hitler's wet dream.

>>1063230
Vietnam is extremely cheap. There was a house in Nha Trang for rent when I was living there, it was like 150$/month.
>>
>>1063230
Look up the prices of rent and average salary for teachers in Saigon for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

But yeah your quality of life and income differs greatly depending on where you live and what kind of job you go.
>>
>>1063234
Is English your first language or can you speak it fluently? If so you can easily find a job. If English is not your first language and you cannot speak it fluently, you will have a much harder time finding a job and it will be impossible to get a legit work visa. You can probably find an under the table illegal job.
>>
>>1063234
>>1063237

I was being sarcastic. I'm the ones in those threads that says ESL is a viable career. It's just most of those that pursue have no real interest in teaching or living permanently or long term abroad.
>>
Sup bro,

Career advancement wise, would you recommend doing a DELTA or getting a masters in applied linguistics? Leaning towards the masters, but I studied economics at uni. Can I still apply for a program even though my bachelors degree was in a totally unrelated field?
>>
>>1063245
Yeah, the majority of people who do TEFL only do it for 1-3 years. I'm in the minority that do it for life, or atleast thats my current plan.
>>
>>1063249
I would go for the masters because it gives you the option of teaching at universities and fancy international schools if you have a teaching license too. I haven't met a lot of people with a DELTA to be honest.
>>
>>1063253
I'm leaning towards thr masters, but i fucked up/didn't care during my last two years of uni since i lost all interest in my major. A lot of my colleagues I worked with last year were working on a module of the DELTA. One of which is is ADOS at AIESEC in Hanoi and is know on 5grand a month. Not sure about the meaning of this post. I guess I'll go ask my buddy
>>
>>1063262
Yeah sorry I can't give you any advice on this, keep in mind even with a bachelors you can get a very good job in Vietnam. Most people teach for a little while to see if they like it and want to make a life time career, then they go for their master's degree.
>>
>>1063264
I did a year of meme teaching in Turkey and after that I was able to get in with International House in Almaty. I think the only reason I got accepted was because they were desperate for teachers. That second year I realized how green I actually was and that I would like to retrain or further my studies in ESL.
>>
>>1063267
Ah, ok. Well yeah once again I don't really have advice for you, but good luck.
>>
I teach Korea and make 2.4mil won a month . I save about half my paycheck a month without trying to save.

I used to think the career was dead end before but people here said otherwise but I haven't seen any stories which is the thing I'm interested in.

Is an international language school pay roughly the same in every country?

What steps do you need to take after a few years of teaching exp, 4 year degree and a TEFL cert?

Is it recommend to teach in multiple countries or is just one all they're looking for?
>>
>>1063313
A teaching certification, preferably from USA/CAN/UK/AUS. Middle East pays the highest, with Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, and Oman being the best countries to work in.
>>
If you're not american but can still speak English fluently, does that change your chances of being hired?
>>
>>1063466
Depends on how well you speak English, what country you are from, what country are you trying to get a job in, and if you have a college degree and a certification.

But if you are not from an English speaking country and English is not your first language you will have a much more difficult time finding a job, although it is not impossible.
>>
Did you already master japanese/vietnamese before moving to those countries?
>>
Not OP, but TEFL teacher currently finishing my 1st year in Korea (Seoul) through EPIK with Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education (aka government public school, not a private cram school aka hagwon).

I teach 5th and 6th graders.

I'm 23, male from Australia.
Saw what a Korean girl looks like, fell in love and came here asap.

I'm a film school grad. Did my research and finished an i-to-i TEFL certificate 120hrs.

Applied through EPIK program on August 1st at 0:01am. Got my desired position (seoul/only 25 people got placed in Seoul this year).

I'm finished my first year and I love it. but the pay sucks, cause i'm a big spender. I make 2k a month, (1.7 after taxes, healthcare, and compulsory payment for teacher dinners).

Going back to Australia because, although Korea is fun and interesting with THE MOST beautiful women ever, I prefer not to live in poverty and have no savings. So I found a job teaching English to young adults at 4000 a month.

Any questions, ask me.
>>
>>1063552
Did you know korean beforehand?
>>
>>1063552
Shagged some tight korean qts m8?
Are korean chicks hungry for white D?
>>
>>1063550
Nope, most people do not know the language they are living in before they move.
>>
might be a silly question, but would speaking australian english be a disadvantage?

when I was in asia, I was very surprised to find most of the english speakers spoke with a strong american accent ( as much as an asian can), if students learnt to speak with an australian accent, would anyone even understand them?
native english speakers from england and the states have enough trouble understanding me
>>
>>1063562
I heard that a lot of school prefer teachers with an American accent because it is what they hear in movies and tv. But still as long as you speak clear English it should not be a problem. My best friend here in Vietnam is from South Africa, I always thought his accent sounds like a combo of British and Australian.
>>
>>1063563
I met south americans and I thought the exact some thing, it's like new zealand cross british

my english skills are strong, but I'm worried that I'l be too verbose for TEFL and that I won't be able to dial down the dictionary without seeming condescending

yesterday I had to explain "viscous" "meniscus" "digression" "profound" "lateral" and "perpetual" to my co-workers
>>
>>1063567
Grading your English is part of the job, bruh.
>>
>>1063567
If you are teaching children or teenagers, which you probably will be, you have no need to use these words.
>>
>>1063567
daaang u r smart !!!!
>>
>>1063585
Yes, he is arrogant for not avoiding those words - he must know they make you feel small. I bet he wears a crown in private.
>>
>>1063560
So every interaction you do is un English when looking for a job? Don't they ask for a basic level of the native language?
>>
>>1063661
It depends on where you go. It's always a plus, but it's rarely required.
If you are going to teach a language in an english-speaking country, you will be required to speak english. spanish can be required if you want to teach in latin America. Some european countries prefer the candidates to have some basics in their language, but for the most part countries with a language that is not widely spread have no illusions and know they probably wouldn't find anyone if they asked for native speakers with competences in the local language.
Not to mention "no intermediary-language" is trendy as fuck in today's methodology.
>>
>>1063554
A few months before I got the job, I tried to learn. I love learning languages and can speak a few, but Korean was absolutely new to me. It took me a week to learn how to read, and a another week how to say "hello" and "thank you".

I have never gone to classes and never done more than 15 minutes of study, but I immersed my self in as much Korean culture as possible. Music, TV shows, and Korean people.

It's been a year and I can speak conversational.. all from listening, using google translate to figure out patterns and basic translations, and talking to Koreans.

If you love languages and want to learn, you could easily do it in half the time I did. I was just lazy with my study, but motivated with my desire to learn and respect the culture.

>>1063555
The. Greatest. Pussy. Ever.
I got some in the first week I arrived..then I went on a dry spell and couldn't get any girl to talk to me for 6 months. Now, maybe because it's winter, but I have had 5 different girls at my place in the past 2 weeks. Sorry for those who think i'm a man whore. I totally respect the girls and only do it if they are more interested. That tight pussy and smooth milky skin tho.
>>
>>1063555
also, I'm arab looking. So if I can do it, it's x100 times easier for you. Just don't be awkward/fedora/asshole/come off as obsessed with asians
>>
Can you teach English in a country like Thailand if you're 18 years old and only have a TEFL certificate?
>>
>>1063721
From what I understand Thailand is increasingly becoming more strict on the qualifications of ESL teachers, 10 years ago as long as you are white and spoke English you could get a job, today it is basically impossible, and even if you do find a job it will be in the shittiest city, at the shittiest school, for poverty level wages. Also when you get caught you will be fined and deported.
>>
>>1063661
No, actually when I taught in Japan they specifically asked me to never use Japanese if I was able to speak it, they wanted me to exclusively speak English.

Just think about it, how many white Americans who never traveled abroad can speak Thai or Vietnamese? Barely any, so if a school asked for this they would reduce their hiring potential by like 99%.
>>
>>1063721
>>1063738
Cambodia is the new Thailand, in this regard, though there are signs of even this changing.
>>
>>1063742
Yeah I heard Cambodia is one of the last places where you can teach without a degree. But I heard Cambodia is a shit place to live.
>>
>>1063755
It's basically Thailand 20 years ago
>>
>>1063755
Just don't go to Phnom Penh. the rest is thirdworldy, but at least you don't have the problems of cities too large for their own good, gun issues and other shit.
>>
>>1063763
I heard basically all the jobs are in Phnom Penh.
>>
>>1063771
All the jobs for westerners who want to keep a standard of living close to what they knew before coming to Cambodia are in Phnom Penh. the rest of the country is still pretty deep into inequalities with kids starving in front of the summer house of some local politician.
If you're looking for a job in education, it's possible to find one if you don't mind starting with elementary school and then move up to other things.
Being french helps. A lot.
>>
I was interested in China and it seems everywhere is only 12 month contracts..I have a good job now and I'm over 30 so I'm just craving a little break cause I never really did the live overseas thing...one year might be too much though...any ideas where I can teach english or something for 6 months ? I like asian countries.....
>>
>>1064485
Me again...just want to add I considered signing up for 12 months and then breaking the contract but I heard now some countries can black list you from even visiting again after you. do this....Even if I had the full year to spend I think it would be nicer to live in at least 2 different areas in a year...
>>
>>1063755
>I heard Cambodia is a shit place to live
I love it myself. PP is dirty as fuck. There are some decent cities around. I like Khmers way more than I like Thais, that is for sure.

>>1063773
>rest of the country is still pretty deep into inequalities

That's the same in Phnom Penh though. IMO you can have a decent style of living in many cities and towns, Siem Reap, Battambang, Kampong Cham and so on, and not see too much misery.
>>
English teachers in asia are vermin of their society. they are barely qualified, and just cause troubles like drugs, prostitution, etc.
>>
>>1064513
Non white and/or non native english speaker detected.....I have a good job but I am still interested in teaching english for 6 months or so....once you get in a reasonably comfortable career position you start to question the merits of trying to climb the ladder all the time..plus with many careers you reach peak earning unless you get a lucky break and become a manager
>>
>>1064513
this... youre a beta pedo
>>
>>1064893
The thing I admire about english teachers is that the majority of people build so called respectable careers in the distant hope of eventually impressing a girl, but english teachers just take the shortcut to get action.
>>
>>1064485
>>1064486
In places like Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos you are more likely to come across short term jobs. Sometimes a teacher leaves and a school is looking to fill up the spot until the end of the school year which might be 6 or fewer months ahead.

You can break off your contract, it's likely that the school will screw you out of some money you would have earned in the last few weeks of working and you won't be able to do anything about it. You won't be banned from returning to the country, you will just have to leave as the school will likely cut off your visa.

Also I'd like to say you should go for it. Life is short and you might only get one chance at it. It will be an awesome experience for you.
>>
How hard is it to get a job teaching in South Korea?
>>
>>1063204
OP if you are still there I have a bachelors, tefl cert, and 3 years experience teaching esl. I'm thinking of just hopping a plain to Vietnam and trying to get a job on the ground, preferably in Saigon. Do I need a work visa before I do this?

I've looked this up online and the work visa process for Vietnam looks painful as hell.

If I don't need a visa what paperwork do I need to get hired? I don't plan on working illegally.
>>
>>1063204
>>1063204
OP if you are still there I have a bachelors, tefl cert, and 3 years experience teaching esl. I'm thinking of just hopping a plain to Vietnam and trying to get a job on the ground, preferably in Saigon. Do I need a work visa before I do this?

I've looked this up online and the work visa process for Vietnam looks painful as hell.

I'm American.
If I don't need a visa what paperwork do I need to get hired? I don't plan on working illegally.
>>
>>1063604
Confirmed pleb
>>
>>1065995
Orwell's rules for writers are just as advisable for speaking.

Only a teenager or a 3rd-quartile idiot thinks stubbornly coughing up a dictionary is a good way to communicate.
>>
So is there any reason that Japan has become a meme TEFL destination? Are other countries better for it, or is it just that Japan's a really popular one/ only weebs want to go to Japan idea that makes it an unwanted destination?

Strongly considering doing a TEFL and fucking off somewhere. I'm white and have an MA from an UK university, so I imagine it won't be too tough to find a place to teach, but with my misspent weeaboo youth Japanese is the only language I feel I could learn to a sufficient degree as to not feel like a retard when I'm over there.
>>
>>1063217
I can tell from those poorly written lines that you are definitely not good enough to be teaching English. What a fucking joke.
>>
Is it possible to get a job in Tokyo teaching English? I'm going graduate with a marketing degree in May and plan to do a CELTA course during the summer.
If it is possible, what would the standard of living be like on the salary you are likely to get? I don't have any extravagant hobbies or vices, but I'd like to be able to comfortably go for beers at the weekend or travel to another city if I feel like it, is it possible on the money you would earn? I've also heard that having a business degree can lead into teaching business specific phrases and language in companies to supplement your salary, is this common?
I'm also looking to possibly making a career out of this as I like the idea of teaching and the degree I did just inspires hate in me, is there any thing you can do to advance your skills/opportunities?
Final question, but what is the social element like when teaching abroad in these places, I won't have the native language, is it easy to meet English speakers?
>>
>>1067746
>Is it possible to get a job in Tokyo teaching English?
Very possible. Don't bother with a CELTA course unless you really have nothing better to do/have the time/money isn't a problem etc. You just need a bachelor's degree.

>what would the standard of living be like on the salary you are likely to get?

Comfortable, middle class existence. Nothing to raise a family/save for retirement on, but as a single person with no dependents it's comfortable. You can definitely go out, travel, etc. If you're a club every weekend kind of person (it sounds like you're not) an ESL teacher's salary is very low.

>I'm also looking to possibly making a career out of this as I like the idea of teaching and the degree I did just inspires hate in me, is there any thing you can do to advance your skills/opportunities?

Get a master's degree and/or state teaching license.

>Final question, but what is the social element like when teaching abroad in these places, I won't have the native language, is it easy to meet English speakers?

It is easy to meet people but a lot of them are twats. Fair warning.
>>
>>1067279
There's the weeb factor, but there's also the fact that Japan was the only East Asian (read: exotic) ESL destination that wasn't a shithole for a long time, until South Korea became Japan-lite.

A lot of people just aren't comfortable living in places where life is cheap.
>>
>>1067279
>So is there any reason that Japan has become a meme TEFL destination?

Many reasons. Japan is a safe, modern first world country, it has interesting culture, the pay is generally reasonable...

Of course the weeb thing plays in, but for most people, Japan is going to be much more appealing than China or Vietnam or something.
>>
>>1067753
>You just need a bachelor's degree

Sorry for being a pest but from what you're saying I could just up and snag a teaching job in Tokyo with a BS in Technology Management? It seems too easy but I could just be a pessimist.
>>
Do you have a bank account in your home country or do you bank in your contract country?
>>
>>1067796
What would be so bad about Vietnam? Is it how much you get paid as opposed to Japan? Or is the area just boring?
>>
>>1068664
It's probably because it's just more of a wild west sort of country. They're what, about 4 decades removed from a major conflict? Japan is basically the safest place on Earth unless you try to dick slap a yakuza or something.
>>
>>1068661
Yes. I majored in Comp Sci
>>
>>1068664
You're not going to paid that much in Vietnam and it's definitely 2nd world. You'll have trouble getting any particular western things, there are steep import taxes even if you're getting stuff posted directly to you, lots of hassles with all sorts of things.

You can still buy your way out of a traffic ticket for USD$25 though. Try doing that in Japan.
>>
>>1063220
Where/how would you even go about applying?
>>
Hey. Another guy who's interested in the aspect of teaching English in Japan here but I'm not a weeb (the otaku culture there weirds me the fuck out). I was wondering if there is a real age limit for teachers. Just wondering because after i finish getting my ba there are other things i want to do before going over. Any one have any ideas?
>>
>>1068767

I hear in Japan and some other Asian countries it starts getting harder to find a job after age 35 or so, and your application will be rejected. At least if you're teaching young kids. I guess the slants don't think you'll have enough energy to be their dancing monkey.
>>
>>1068780
Ok. That's not to bad. I was more meanibg mid to late 20's
>>
>>1068767
If you're not a weeb, go to Korea instead. Much better cost of living, easier to meet other foreign teachers, and Korean is easier to learn than Japanese
>>
>>1063215
>my diploma
Don't you need a degree?
>>
>>1068810
>and Korean is easier to learn than Japanese
>English teachers
>Always taking the short cut
>>
>>1068888
nice quads, super hitler.

>>1068889
>implying it isn't true.
>>
I just got a job offer for one of the schools in Japan in the Kumamoto prefecture. Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>1068767
I got an offer at 29.
>>
>>1069448
Looks like a bum fuck inaka. If you're cool with that good.
>>
>>1069458
>inaka
I was looking for somewhere in the Kyushu region- I like the warm weather and hot springs so it didn't sound too bad to me. Do you know anything about the people there?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.