[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, fellow /trv/alers. I am going to Istanbul for five days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Sultan-Ahmed-Mosque-Istanbul.jpg (368KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sultan-Ahmed-Mosque-Istanbul.jpg
368KB, 1920x1200px
Hello, fellow /trv/alers.
I am going to Istanbul for five days in two weeks. What should I do there? I'm into culture and history mostly, although I also like to meet locals and go to bars.
I also enjoy good food. The thing is, I don't have alot of money to spend. Tell me about some cool places to go to, without becoming absolutely broke. Also, how is public transport between Ataturk airport and Sultanahmet?
>>
public transport is fine (not brilliant. but tolerable). the metro will take you most of the way, then change for a tram (get a smart card and top it up before you get on the metro)
>>
Great time to go. 1 USD euals 3.92 Lira (TRY) stay in a hostel cheap. To get to Sultanahmet from the ataturk airport: - go to the metro stop in the basement of the airport - ride the only subway there (the red m1 line) get off at Zeytinburnu the 6th stop. walk to the blue t1 tram line and get on . take tram T1 toward Eminonu. Get off at Sultanahmet (the 16th stop). 1 or 2 day do all the touristy shit. sulanahmanet (hiya sofia, blue mosque, basillica systern, topkapi palace), check out grand bazar(i believe cloased sunday). check out galata bridge and walk accross. New mosque and spice bazar is right there too, super cool. walk up to galata tower. night lift go to Taksim. its a stop on the m2 green metro line. walk from taksim down the main street called istiklal. cant miss it. it is nuts. sketchy old/hip guys will be trying to get you to go into thier clubs. DONT Go IN. they will overchage you for a drink and wont let you leave. Go to bars on istiklal, not the clubs. If your tryin to turn up more tho, great clubs include beat, Nayah, Ritim, Eski Beyrut, indigo... college aged crowd. Def take a ferry accross to the asian side one day and go to Kadikoy. You can catch this ferry right next to galata bridge at the Karakoy ferry stop. Shoots you right accorss the water. Gorgeuos. Oh and be sure to pick up a metro card. Load it up with like 15 lira and it sould get you all around. You can buy one in the basement of the airport rightaway at the subway stop from a vending machine type thing initially. You can use ur metro card for these ferries as well. Go to princes islands one day for a day trip. take a ferry to get there. Honestly just ride the green metro line north and get off at any old stop and wonder around too. Not gayrettepe tho its like a moden mall. no culture. anyways ask me more questions please!! have fun.
>>
it should only cost you like 4 lira to ride the metro 1 line and transfer to Tram 1 line to sluthanamet. Eat tuvuk durum, chicken wraps... sooo fire omg. yum. there like 6 to 8 lira. You can eat like a king, like 4 meals a day for like 30 lira. $7.7 usd a day. try the aryan dairy drink. google best tukish meals they are the real ones. meet fellow travels are ur hostel orw whever ur stayin.
>>
>>1063630
>>1063632
Sounds cool. I already have booked a hotel and everything, it was pretty cheap. By the way, is it acceptable to visit mosques if you have tattoos on your arms? Do I need to cover them?
>>
>>1063728
And what about supermarkets? Are there alot around?
>>
>>1063728
I wouldn't worry about the mosques. The tourist ones don't let you in during services and they give women shawls to borrow if they should cover. You'll be fine.

>>1063731
It's a dense city so there are some but the selection at some places can be lacking. The local ones are okay but may not have alcohol - Carrefour does.

The street food gets old pretty fast - the corn sucks, the chestnuts are okay, and those bagel things are dry. Kebabs, kofte and fish sandiches are also very "dry" and that ayran yogurt/milk stuff is funky. Carry water, drink lots of tea and go to the cheap a la carte cafeteria places for better selection and a big cheap lunch. Also, Turkish coffee is a bit of a meme. It's good to cut the sweetness of the pastries but tea is cheaper and 10x more popular.

Get the museum card, it's a good deal. Take your time at the palace, it's huge. The Grand Bazaar is fun but I find haggling stressful so I'd recommend you go well rested. The red light district is tiny and seedy and probably not worth the hassle.
>>
What should I do on Saturday?

What should I do on Sunday?
>>
>>1064347
Use drugs. Go to sunday school.
>>
>>1063737
>Carry water, drink lots of tea and go to the cheap a la carte cafeteria places for better selection and a big cheap lunch
This how you eat in Istanbul
>>
>>1063129
sunset bar (at sunset)
house cafe istiklal
the old bazarr
-avoid taksim (theres always a riot)
bosphorus, mosques, haggia sophia etc

most important: get lost, you will find something cool
>>
>>1064847
House Cafe, on Istiklal Avenue, is literally in Taksim.

And the protests aren't too big of a deal, go inside a cafe or just move a couple of streets further and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1064881
I got tear gassed twice in one year and i only visited 6 times
>>
>>1064883

That's you being unlucky. I'm there every other week, if something feels off I move onto the next street, and that's that.

There will be a lot of police around there though, that tends to scare tourists. They just hang around there all day trying to look tough while doing absolutely nothing.
>>
>>1064890
yeah but.. the intrigue. we dont get it in lonon so often.

also, so sad it's becoming an islamic country, attaturk turns in his grave
>>
>>1063129
kucukpazar is one of the cheaper streets to get good streetfood around sultanahmet as far as i remember. god the börek in the morning.... so good.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.