[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm planning to go on a backpacking trip along

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 2000px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png (19KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
19KB, 2000x1333px
Hey guys, I'm planning to go on a backpacking trip along the coast of chile (if you've seen Chile in a map, thats all there is I guess lol).

What I wanted to ask, has anybody been on a limited budget around chile? I'm planning to go with a little more than $1000 and to stay there for about five weeks. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :).
>>
Where do you plan to stay during the nights? 1K is not really that much money and food will cost some too, you'll probably have to do some jobs like cleaning cars or something to earn money, there's also the fact that around this time of the year young people usually do the same thing as you here, so you might find some competition, or in the best of cases maybe find a group to stick to for a while.
>>
>>1061984
>Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Bring more money?

Chile isn't a poor country, and it was already said that this is the busy time of year for traveling there so prices are a bit higher.

The peso has gone down, but I feel that $30/day gets you 2 of: food, shelter and transportation. Don't know what the hitchhiking is like there, should try to meet some Chileans on interpals and couchsurfing.

And most of Chile is actually in the valley between the Andes and the Coastal Mountains. Don't know how literally you meant coast, but there's much less on it.
>>
OP, specify what part of Chile you'll be traversing. While skinny, it is a long country that covers pretty much half of latin america so it's not exactly a place you can see from north to south in 5 weeks.

Chile is probably the most expensive country in latin america. If you're staying 5 weeks that makes around 28 USD, which means around 200000 Pesos. With that money you'll be able pay for lodging in hostels (Around 10 USD is the average though consider a bit more in touristy or remote places), eat, and pay for transportation. Note that when I say eat, I mean cooking your meals. Eating out in restaurants will considerably dwindle your budget.

Traveling here with a grand is doable, only that it's a tight budget. I am not trying to scare you off, only trying to help you organize yourself better before you arrive.
>>
Thank you so much for replying guys,
>>1061999
I've been told the camping sites are not too expensive, so I will stay there whenever I can. I will also try to get some cheap motels or stay at friends' houses (I have some friends from my work and travel experience). Also I should add, I'm leaving January the 8th so its not really high season (Meaning its not the holidays).
>>1062026
>>1062348
My friend is the one who's looking at all the details as in what places to go exactly, but from what i've heard we are going to Arica, then maybe San Pedro or some other valley up north, then go to santiago for some days and finally go through the "carretera austral" down south while visiting all we can on the way. After that I guess we'll make our return. We are bringin a mobile oven so we can cook our food.

>>1062348
Yes I'm kind of scared about the budget, this is all I could muster in such a short time (Circumstances led me to 4 months without a job/ No courses in Uni, and my friends were planning this trip so I grabbed all the money I could and I'm staying put until the day comes we leave for Chile). Sadly, thanks to my career path this is going to be one of the only chances I will ever have to make a trip this long with my friends so that is why I said fuck it and I'm going however I can.
>>
>>1061984
it's a shithole,
>>
>>1063033
Actually, during January you will see more backpackers than at any other month, during January most of the students have vacations (except those from unis who are constantly on a strike), and most parents that can will wake out their children to travel during that time, so January is kind of the high season here.
Also, for parties I would either recommend Valparaiso (extremely expensive), Santiago (never tried them) or Valdivia (really high numbers of young people as it's a university town, so party is prominent there).
>>
>>1063425
As in extremely expensive, how much would a night cost me (party) there?
>>
>>1063704
Basically what >>1064027 said
Viña del Mar and Valparaiso are extremely expensive, at least from the point of view of someone from a city that's not central, for party I strongly recommend Valdivia, mostly because I know it like the back of my hand, and trust me, if you party like a real Valdiviano you won't even need to rent somewhere to sleep, you'll party until sunrise. With 50-60 dollars you will have an amazing night.
>>
Chilean here, go to the South of Chile, start in Concepción and then keep going down as much as you can OP.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.