[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

90's Toys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

File: Toxic-Crusaders.jpg (755KB, 1500x788px) Image search: [Google]
Toxic-Crusaders.jpg
755KB, 1500x788px
I'm working on a game inspired by 90's toys and am looking for as much reference as possible, i've got a ton of stuff that I had as a kid, but I imagine there was a ton of other cool stuff that I missed out on.

I'm really focusing on anything with bright vibrant colours, as many mutants, monsters and robots as possible, but anything is welcome.
>>
File: Techno-Punch_Terminator.jpg (33KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
Techno-Punch_Terminator.jpg
33KB, 752x564px
This guy was one of my favorite toys from the 90s. When T2 came out and I saw an ad in the paper that Rite Aid or somesuch was carrying toys from the movie, I went as soon as I could, hoping that they'd made an endoskeleton figure.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 640x759px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 640x759px
>>5400049
Rito revolto and other power rangers aliens and monsters, are fucking awsome 90s toys.
>>
File: btas toys .jpg (132KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
btas toys .jpg
132KB, 960x720px
>>5400508
Generally I'd say early 90's were focussed more on "Gross-out" sculpts and bright, pastel colors, while the mid-to-late 90's started bringing on more "extreme" detailing and darker coloring (think McFarlane) , chrome, and translucent plastic. Action feature versions of characters are another big thing; the Batman toys were a major example. You had Batman variants meant to street luge, to snow board, to lava dive; everything. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles kinda started the trend but Kenner went all-out with Batman(ToyBiz did too with Spider-man.)
>>
File: vacman .jpg (150KB, 787x1050px) Image search: [Google]
vacman .jpg
150KB, 787x1050px
Vac Man is another one of my favorites. His massive toothy grin, detailed face, and his gimmick of his skin tightening and showing his innards just screams 90's toy.
>>
If we were to describe the fundamental difference between 80s figure and 90s figures, what would they be?
>>
>>5400656
80s figures were more about making a shitton of new characters and with more minimal sculpts. While 90s figures had awsome sculpts but lots of remolds of exsisting characters, and even more outlandish and outragous paint decos.
>>
>>5400700
But how can you say that when the 80s had like, Motu, which was basically the same body used again and again.
>>
>>5400708
But they made a shitton of new characters for lotu. I shouldve rephrased it about resuing the same characters. Because batman got a dhitton of new sculpts, but motu had alot of new characters with the same body, and only a new head and accesory.
>>
>>5400656
For the most part, 80's figures were sculpted around more stoic or at least stock expressions(for example,
Where as late 80's/90's toys started incorporating more wild expressions and poses in figures. 80's figures generally went for more subdued colors on figures(but often wilder colors on accessories and playsets), while in the late 80's onwards there was a shift to brighter colors. 80's figures generally went for a "realistic" style, while the 90's stuff started going for a more cartoony style.
>>
File: SW.jpg (774KB, 1280x1050px) Image search: [Google]
SW.jpg
774KB, 1280x1050px
>>
File: 1120295.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1120295.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>5400049
Reminds me of the Trash Bag Bunch-figures i had as a child.
>>
>>5400510
Thanks for the spoiler, Kenner.

90's toys really broke down into classes.

You had Superhero toys(exagerated heroic sculpts, bright colours, lots of specialized variants), Mutant Animal toys (TMNT, Biker Mice from Mars, C.O.W.boys of Moo Mesa, Street Sharks, Bucky O'Hare bright colours, often gross out designs, cartoonish proportions), War toys (GI Joe, The Corps, more generic 1/18 guys, realistic proportoins with detailed, often scifi weapons and vehicles), Miniature Toys (Poly Pocket, Micro Machines, Mighty Max, detailed miniature figures, vehicles, and playsets), Ranger invasion figures (All of Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, Mystic Knights of Tyr Na Nog, Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad... I forget if Tatooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills ever got toys... anyway, it's armoured supherheros usually with complimenting, combining vehicles), there were Transformers of course(different from it's origin, it featured garish Generation 2 paintjobs, and the animal changing beast wars), Gross Out toys (Creepy Crawlers, Dread Labratory, anything designed to make your sister go EWWWWW. Also included any of the ooze or gak gimmick toys)

I'm trying to remember if i'm missing any of the major categories.. I'm skipping on the roleplay toys (like water guns, plastic guns, nerf, spy gear, etc) and focusing on action figures, vehicles, and playsets.
>>
>>5401053
Oh wow, I remember those. I had Aracula, a friend gave it to me at my birthday party and I had no idea what it was because I was just into X-Men and GI Joes. His mom probably picked it out for him, I bet. Now that I look back on it, those skeleton figures are 100 times better than any of those shitty early 90s Joes and Marvel figures.
>>
>>5400049
>kid-friendly Captain Planet clone about environmental issues
>based on a movie in which a woman masturbates to a photo of a corpse and people are dismembered left and right

I know it wasn't a big deal to turn r-rated stuff into cartoons for kids, but who thought THAT film in particular was prime material for it?
>>
>>5401060
>>
>>5401053
Skeleton with tits.
>>
man playmates was so godlike during the early 90s (they're sometimes pretty ok these days too)
>>
>>5400049
The original toxic avenger trilogy film series was fucked up. Especially in the second one where he puts that one guy in a superheated hot tub with vegetables and stirred it with his mop to make Jap stew.
>>
>>5401499
The Phantasm toy actually wasn't released until a good month or two after the film because of the spoiler.
>>
>>5405377
Nope. The movie was released in December '93. The 1st wave of figures shipped out before that so they could get the Christmas sales.

It was one of the early cases of a toy being released before a movie that contain/was a spoiler.
>>
>>5405503
Phantasm wasn't in wave 1...
>>
>>5400049
>>5401053
God, Playmates made the dopest shit back then. Oh how the mighty have fallen. What a shame.
>>
>>5401531
Kevin Eastman apparently.
>>
>>5406441
Doesn't matter which wave. It was still on the shelves when the movie came out. I got mine about a month before the movie came out, and there was a big flap at the time about it being such a spoiler.
>>
>>5406441
Actually, there was only one wave of Phantasm figures that was released, and it was released in 1993.

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=393&universeid=91&figures=batmanmaskofthephantasm

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=actionfigure&id=2080&universeid=91&figure=phantasm
>>
>>5401053
I liked that action figure. For me the Skeletons was so cool. I hope one day they will make a re issue.
>>
>>5401060
I don't like this.
>>
>>5405110
I had some of those.
>>
File: 5178690150_3ecedcf5d4.jpg (80KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
5178690150_3ecedcf5d4.jpg
80KB, 400x400px
>>5409997
How about this?
>>
File: i liked razor better.jpg (23KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
i liked razor better.jpg
23KB, 225x300px
I don't remember this being articulated. Was this the only line of Swat Kats toys?
>>
File: meanie.jpg (79KB, 560x264px) Image search: [Google]
meanie.jpg
79KB, 560x264px
I saw these in a trading card shop as a little kid and it freaked me the fuck out. I was a huge wuss.
>>
>>5401053
>clickety-clack, get into my blister pack!
>>
>>5410124
I remember they had beanie versions that grossed me out, they're dirt-cheap on eBay now.
>>
>>5410404

I still have a bunch of Meanies. My favorites are Velocicrapper and Boris the Mucusaurus.
>>
>>5410124
all this stuff won't fly anymore nowadays. It would trigger someone.
>>
>>5410433
>implying it didn't trigger conservatives back when it came out
>>
>>5410123

Yeah there were four, the main two plus Dark Kat and Dr. Viper
>>
>>5400049
80s would be a lot more fun. They had that wave of gross-out toys.
>>
>>5410449
Yeah, it triggered all the concerned parent organizations everywhere.
>>
All the toylines based on R-rated movies were the best
>>
File: toxic crusaders radiation ranger.jpg (402KB, 1024x990px) Image search: [Google]
toxic crusaders radiation ranger.jpg
402KB, 1024x990px
>>5400049
This pic left out a figure. Though I can understand as it's the least interesting looking of the 9.
>>
File: bucky_ohare_acc1.jpg (14KB, 261x338px) Image search: [Google]
bucky_ohare_acc1.jpg
14KB, 261x338px
This was my favourite toy for a long time when I was younger.
>>
>>5410960
it's there, but mostly hidden behind the blue guy
>>
>>5410960
Shit son, I think that was the series' coolest figure.
>>
>>5400049
I had the whole collection and even some vehicles, I even had doubles of some of them like the two headed guy and Toxie. I guess the toyline bombed so badly my mom just bought me all of them one day whens he saw them on the shelves for cheap, I mean why else would I have had all of those.
>>
>>5410960

Actually the best, tho.
>>
>>5410452
Tfw no metallicats
>>
I had this figure when I was a kid and it was like this gijoe sized green alien guy who had little red buttons on his torso (which was yellow) that you could press to detach his arms and legs to swap them out for others.

One of his arms had a spring loaded snake and one set of legs was like a hover segway kind of thing.

It was really neat but I've never been able to remember or find out what it was.
>>
>>5410449

Actually... they didn't cause any stir at all.
>>
>>5410114
its weird how the capcom figures were more articulate than the marvel ones
>>
>>5400049
please dont die..
>>
File: Badasssharkers.jpg (92KB, 556x417px) Image search: [Google]
Badasssharkers.jpg
92KB, 556x417px
>>
File: street_sharks2-620x.jpg (43KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
street_sharks2-620x.jpg
43KB, 620x465px
>>5416843
Street sharks were goat! The 90s were the best time for toys.
>>
>>5411104
iKnoe
>>
>>5416843
>>5417085

I really, really wish I'd bought those when I was younger. I remember seeing them in their big ass cage packaging and it was just...so stunning to me as a kid. Going into Kmart and seeing this shit, I miss it.
>>
Sorry it's off topic, but TNMT was arounf in the 90's, and it's not worth a new thread, so, here's a question.

I got the Megan Fox April O'Neil figure. Her left leg is super rubbery when everything else is harder plastic. Are they all like this, or did I get some weird defect one?

It looks just fine, just odd when in hand, like the leg came from a different figure.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.