[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did war look like in the 19th century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 19th century.jpg (41KB, 511x720px) Image search: [Google]
19th century.jpg
41KB, 511x720px
How did war look like in the 19th century?
>>
>>50745545
infection and gangrene everywhere!
>>
Fuck. That was meant for /his/.
>>
>>50745545
>How ... like
You goddamn motherfucker.
>>
>>50745545
Tetanus.
>>
File: 25.jpg (3MB, 2995x1516px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
3MB, 2995x1516px
>>50745545

Pretty fabulous.
>>
>>50745665
WWI changed a lot of things, but nothing is as regrettable as that.
>>
>>50745832
The French were still basically in Napoleonic dress in World War One, but that changed eventually.

Fuck, how long did it take them to actually use helmets again? Way too long, anyway.
>>
>>50745558
This.

Also, new technology and innovative new officers clash with old generals and traditional tactics, with spectacularly bloody results. WW1 is the quintessential example of this, but this was happening as early as the American Civil-Napoleon era close order formations plus new Minie ball rifles and rifled artillery made for massacres.
>>
>>50745545
That would wary quite bit depending on when and where the war took place. You start the century with French Revolutionary Wars and end it with 2nd Boer War and Boxer Rebellion.
>>
>>50746206
*American Civil War
>>
File: Lone_Wanderer.jpg (596KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Lone_Wanderer.jpg
596KB, 1680x1050px
>>50745545
Exactly the same as it does now, because War...War never changes.
>>
>>50745545
Might as well ask:

How did American Civil War tactics and strategy affect European doctrine?
>>
>>50746336
War has changed, though. ID-tagged soldiers with ID-tagged guns, etc. etc. And yes, I know that's not what the Fallout quote is about, but still.

The change between 19th-century and 20th-century warfare was especially obvious, since you had such an escalation in tech - hence the fuckshow that was early WWI.
>>
>>50745545
As always when someone asks a question here, it's too wide to give a decent answer to.

You have to look at a specific region or shorter period of time to learn anything useful.

It's like asking "how did mobile phones look in the 20th century"

You have both 2.5 lb bricks that cost 4000 dollars and the first smart phones depending on when you zoom in on.
>>
>>50746731
I'm pretty sure the first smart phones didn't start showing up until the 21st century. I remember reading about it in The Economist in 2003 or 2004 as something Samsung was experimenting with. There were PDAs back then, but they didn't get combined with phones until a few years afterwards. I wish they hadn't been combined
>>
>>50746731
Or you might not have mobile phones at all, because the 20th century encompasses so much!

Fuck, when it comes to tech even talking about decades quickly becomes difficult. How did phones look in the naughts? You went from bricks being popular to clamshells to whoops, suddenly the iPhone is out. And you've got some years during that time when all three are popular and on the market at the same time!

Asking about the history of warfare in terms of centuries kind of makes sense if you go back some centuries, but the acceleration of technology after the industrial revolution kind of fucked up the scale a bit. Among other things.

>>50746895
Blackberry, brah. Also, look up the Nokia 9000 Communicator.
>>
>>50745545
>How did war look like
Retake English.
>>
File: Cannon.jpg (39KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
Cannon.jpg
39KB, 660x371px
>>50746711

It should be noted that technology didn't hit the world in equal waves; the Middle East was an absolute mess in the 50s where swordsmen and Renault FTs and T-55s and Maxim Machineguns and Napoleonic cannons and muskets clashed like a Civ IV game.
>>
>>50745545
I recommend getting off the internet and going to any library, wherein can be found hundreds of these arcane devices we call "books".

From there, one may learn any topic imaginable, including the answers to your question.
>>
>>50746954
and but thems lost the wars then
>>
File: Loosing it.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Loosing it.webm
2MB, 853x480px
>>50745545
>It's this thread again
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.