[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
>What is Exalted?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 32
File: Panel051.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Panel051.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4


Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Kingdom Ruling Edition!

How well has ruling gone for your Exalt/Players /tg/? What trials and tribulations have you gone through, or given your players?

Last thread died before hitting 100 replies. I weep softly.
>>
I fucked everything up and didn't fill in the topic edition.
>>
>>45326652
We excavated a 1st age city and are honestly having a bit of trouble filling it with people.
>>
>>45327086
That's actually kind of bizarre when you consider that Chiascuro and Lookshy are only partially intact and they're still regional powers. What's causing the population shortage?

>>45326652
I founded a university for sorcerous pursuits in Halta and now I have to endlessly deal with my students fucking up the geomancy of the surrounding area and pissing off spirits
>I will eventually, however, invent my own method of sorcerous initiation and the ST is going to allow me to switch to it instead of the initiation I started out with
>>
>>45327399
For one, it's in the South. Rather deep in the South, actually. For another, Chiascuro got sacked by a Deathlord. Some of the refugees now live in the city, but it's nearly impossible to find out where the rest got off to. Some of them linked up with the mobile Delzhan hordes and don't want leave. Revolts against the Realm have broken out in the Lap and Harborhead (obviously), and so a lot of people are probably afraid to travel. We also want to really secure it before the Guild or the Realm of someone tries to take it from us, so we're trying to keep it quiet.
>>
>>45327607
>The Realm trying to take a city that's deep in the South
They're too busy preparing for civil war. They aren't even bothering with Thorns right at their doorstep.
>>
Who was that guy who was doing the ex3 charm sheets and had a bunch of figures in the backround? He had got up to bureaucracy and also had furry porn on his blog.
>>
>>45327677
Don't be so sure. It's a first age city with a circle of anathema squatting in it.
>>
>>45327607
well, if it's in the deep south then there's lots of riches to be found nearby. You could try and cause a kind of gold rush to attract settlers, just spread word of people becoming rich.
>>
>>45328364
The Realm still probably wouldn't know about it or the fact that it's ruled by anathema. And Thorns is a lot closer with very obvious anathema activity but no one wants to deal with it.
>>
>>45327086

Similar thing with our group, but the city came with a Benediction of Archgenesis, and was located in the Southern desert, so people pretty much came running.
>>
>>45328364

my nigga that's why the siddies shit a brick and manipulate any available realm contacts to trick them into attacking

sidereals wholly exist so when you're like "what? this should've been impossible!" they show up like "yea it woulda but i'm here now fucker"
>>
>>45327399
How are you mechanically doing the sorcery teaching? I am basically in the same spot but dunno how to go along with it.

Also, why would you switch to a new one instead of just adding it along with your current one(s)? It says in the book that even mortals can learn new initiation rituals and I'm pretty sure inventing a completely new way of shaping and molding sorcerous essence is a great way of getting a new one. Especially if you can learn fire magic by smooching up to a Efreet or some such.
>>
Does anyone have any of the old joke images that would get posted in exalted generals?

I'm trying to convince some friends to play this game, and they don't think it sounds fun enough.
>>
>>45332863
Like this?
>>
File: exalt.jpg (67 KB, 750x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
exalt.jpg
67 KB, 750x600
>>45332863
>>
>>45332863
>>
>>45332863
Have them read Keychain of Creation. It's basically "Exalted played for fun" on steroids.
What do your friends tend to find fun in a pnp game? Exalted has fun for everyone.
>>
>>45328567
>The Realm still probably wouldn't know about it or the fact that it's ruled by anathema
And even if the Ream did know, even their reach has its limits, especially in the current situation. If it's deep enough in the South, it doesn't really matter what the Realm thinks about the place.
>>
Are there any fixes for Archery charms' incompatibility with firewands and crossbows?

>inb4 Righteous Devil
I know, but still.
>>
>You can't use parry-boosters from Melee alongside parry-boosters from MA because they're using different abilities to create that parry.
Holden, on OPP forums.
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/824823-martial-arts-charms-and-native-charms?p=824938#post824938

>because they're using different abilities to create that parry
Does Holden genuinely not know how his system works?
>>
>>45338122
You have a different parry score for each ability if they're at different ratings. Why doesn't that make sense?

In the end it's just a balance thing, even if he's wording it weird.
>>
>>45338509
Because reflexive charms don't give a shit what ability they're improving and parry charms are reflexive.
>>
>>45338122
>Does Holden genuinely not know how his system works?
He doesn't, and yet he said he does. Because he's a liar, just like Morke.
>>
>>45338561
>Because reflexive charms don't give a shit what ability they're improving
So you're saying I can use Peony Blossom Technique to make two archery attacks, use Hail-Shattering Practice on an attack I intend to dodge, Edge of Morning Sunlight a thrown attack, etc?
>>
>>45338561
And there's a separate rule that says "Nu uh, not if it's an MA charm." Right in the MA section. You can go check about how much it says you just goddamn can't combine MA and non-MA charms.

Doesn't matter if it's reflexive; the book already said it can't combine, and if it was poorly worded enough that you misinterpreted, a dev clarified.
>>
>>45338699
Why did you even make this post? Do you actually think this somehow disproves the rules text for reflexive attacks. Besides reflexive attacks like Peony Blossom which have to be made with the same ability as the charm, reflexive charms can be used with any ability unless stated otherwise.

>>45338709
Maybe, though it's pretty unclear. Either way, that's not the matter in hand. Holden posted 'because they're using different abilities to create that parry'. By that standard, Dipping Swallow Defense wouldn't work with Brawl and there are certainly no rules in the book to suggest that.
>>
>>45338784
>. By that standard, Dipping Swallow Defense wouldn't work with Brawl and there are certainly no rules in the book to suggest that.
You don't need any rules to say that, because it's fucking obvious that that won't work.
>>
>>45338784
Yeah he's wording it poorly, but I think he's TRYING to differentiate between combining MA charms with "offensive abilities" (which was clarified to be Archery, Thrown, Brawl, and Melee) and combining MA charms with say, a resistance charm.

Apparently it's kosher to have Aegis of Invincible Might running while you're also boosting your soak with Celestial Tiger Hide, but you can't combine Fists of Iron with Striking Cobra Technique.

Or if we're sticking to reflexives, you can combine Reed in the Wind with Serpentine Evasion, but not Iron Claw Grip with Unbreakable Grasp.
>>
>>45338784
>Characters may use any of their reflexive Charms at any
>time, so long as it makes sense for them to do so

There's your rule. Your mastery of swordsmanship won't help you block an attack with your fist
>>
>>45338816
>>45338833
Yes, the magic of 'common sense' saves the day. Of course, if you're not actually using your fists and you're defending yourself with an improvised club the charm magically starts working again. It's only common sense after all.
>>
>>45338784
>Besides reflexive attacks like Peony Blossom which have to be made with the same ability as the charm, reflexive charms can be used with any ability unless stated otherwise.
That's not what the rules text for reflexive says, I suggest you read the rules before you make badly informed posts.
>>
>>45338857
well yeah, because you're using an improvised club with melee, not brawl. Duh

That's more an issue of abilities being very broad
>>
>>45338871
You can use an improvised club perfectly well with Brawl.
>>
>>45338894
>Club/Cudgel/Baton
>Bashing, Melee, Smashing; sometimes Thrown (Short), Improvised

Nope
>>
>>45338917
Brawl has charms that specifically refer to using improvised weapons with Brawl. The list of weapons in the armory chapter is by no means exhaustive, and when you create an improvised weapons statblock, it can have the Brawl tag.
>>
>>45338917
>Brawl also conveys an aptitude for brawling aides such as brass knuckles and improvised weaponry such as chairs and broken bottles. In addition to covering attacks, Brawl can also be used to calculate a character’s Parry rating in combat, although parrying a weapon capable of inflicting lethal damage with one’s bare hands requires a stunt.
Yes.
>>
>>45338942
>chairs and broken bottles
>club
try again
>>
>>45338861
> Reflexive Charms which create attacks generally do so with the Ability they belong to, unless the governing Ability can’t normally attack or unless otherwise noted.
That's the only restriction on using Reflexive charms with other abilities. Except for the 'makes sense' clause of course. If using your skill with one ability to improve another ability doesn't make sense though, the text should really say ' Reflexive Charms can generally only benefit rolls using the Ability they’re listed under, unless otherwise stated.' Just like Supplemental charms do.
>>
>>45338993
Right, so you can use Dipping Swallow Defense on a parry defence using a chair as long as you're using Melee, but not when you're using Brawl.
That's very different from a club. What the fuck is it with this thread and the most worthless pedantry.
>>
>>45338993
When did the words 'such as' transform into 'limited to' in your head?
>>
That entire reflexive part of the rules is fucking worthless. Not only does it not answers questions like those that came up, it's also fucking wrong.
>A reflexive Charm creates a reflexive action or enhances a non-dice action
That's not even true! There's reflexive charms that enhance dice actions, right there in the book.
>>
>>45339034
how is a chair and a bottle the same as an actual club to you? A club is clearly intended as a weapon, even if it's not a very good one.
>>
>>45339045
An improvised weapon using the same stats as a weapon does not equal being that weapon.

Improvised Weapon (Chair)

Bashing, Brawl, Medium, Improvised
>>
>>45339068
well, he said a club, not a table leg that has the same stats as a club
>>
>>45339045
Fuck off, Raziere. How is this even relevant to a discussion. The text doesn't even say 'similar to' it says 'such as'. Chairs and broken bottles are given as examples.

'improvised weaponry such as'. You'll note that the club as linked earlier is both improvised and a weapon, you enormous retard.
>>
>>45339090
Ok Holden
>>
>>45338994
>If using your skill with one ability to improve another ability doesn't make sense though, the text should really say ' Reflexive Charms can generally only benefit rolls using the Ability they’re listed under, unless otherwise stated.' Just like Supplemental charms do.
That's honestly what I think it should say. I mean, how many exceptions do you know where it actually makes sense?
>>
>>45339112
Ah, ad hominem attacks. I guess you're done?
>>
>>45339124
>ad hominem attacks
>Fuck off, Raziere.
>>
>>45339133
You'll note every point that was made was refuted, in addition to name-calling.
>>
>>45339133
Not him but he at least refuted your points. 'Ok Holden.' Is ad hominem. Your argument has been pretty shit this whole thread.
>>
>>45339158
>Your argument has been pretty shit this whole thread.
>hurr durr everyone that disagrees with me is one person
>>
>>45339177
Well, yeah, there's only one Holden.
>>
>>45339177
It's the lack of capitalisation dude, it gives you away.
>>
Look on the bright side, at least the thread won't die with less than 100 replies if these arguments continue
>>
>>45339186
At least it's arguing about the correct way to interpret mechanics instead of shit like Lunar Fans bitching.
>>
>>45339186
There is a clear trend between stupid arguments and threads hitting post limit.

On that note: What does Element Resisting Prana actually do?
>>
File: not-like-this.gif (731 KB, 280x160) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
not-like-this.gif
731 KB, 280x160
>>45339186
I... I didn't want arguments with 'Ok Holden.' As responses...
>>45339205
At least this is true.
>>
>>45339218
It says:
>reduce damage from all elemental
>sources of environmental damage by the Exalt’s
>Resistance rating.
So if you're in a snowstorm, reduce its damage by (stamina), probably letting you ignore it completely. I'm unsure just exactly what qualifies as elemental sources, though. Acid probably won't, but lava or a bonfire will.
Interestingly enough, without Stamina 6 you won't be completely immune to lava
>>
>>45339218
Alright so, there's environmental hazards that will try to do lethal damage to you every now and again. Depending on what kind they are, they do their damage at different rates and different levels.

Page 230 and 232 list the rules for such. Being dunked into an Acid Bath? 3L per round. Being exposed to extreme heat or cold? 1B per hour. It's not raw damage, but dice rolled, ignores soak and hardness, and goes right to HLs.

So, with Element Resisting Prana and 5 Resistance, you could;

Sit in Acid and laugh it off. Walk through the Silent Winds of Hell and barely feel a tickle. Stand inside a bonfire and glare disapprovingly at the weak flames. Be battered in the face with shards of ice from a storm of supernatural intensity and merely be exfoliated.

The only listed environmental hazard you can't completely no-sell with 5 Resistance is Lava, which does 6L per round, but that's just one die rolled per round. So, Resistance 5 Solars with ERP can survive being tossed into molten lava incredibly easily.
>>
>>45339261
>The only listed environmental hazard you can't completely no-sell with 5 Resistance is Lava
I don't think The Silent Wind of Hell qualifies as an elemental source of environmental damage. Likewise, traps (which per the rules are environmental damage too, but resisted with dex+dodge) also will still damage you.
>>
>>45326652
in 2.5 I created a combo of protection of celestial bliss, iron kettle and fivefold bulwark
activating it from pereph essence would also cause my dawn anima to turn on
But here is the thing, I remember there was a rule that things like that don't stack, what I mean is that will +2 to dv from my anima stack with protections +2 dv? Maybe anima is an exception to the rule?
I want muh +4 dv
>>
>>45339255
Environmental Damage are represented only as "An area that can do damage". This includes acid baths, being dunked in lava, dodging through a hall of spinning blades, surviving a snowstorm, etc.

The roll to resist is whatever makes sense; you could shrug off extreme temperatures with Stamina+Survival, or be a good outdoorsman and dress well with Wits+Survival.

Since, before the damage is even rolled, you do get to roll against its difficulty to avoid being exposed to the damage at all. So, funnily enough, if you can reliably roll 5 on a Stamina+Resistance Roll, the lava won't even get a chance to roll its 6L damage dice.
>>
>>45339255
>>45339261
I was mostly questioning the definition of 'elemental' used, which is strangely broad. Honestly though, An essence 3 charm making you basically immune to environmental hazards for 5m doesn't sound that bad.
>>
>>45339285
Name Damage/Interval Difficulty
Acid bath 3L/round 5
Severe heat/cold 1B/hour 1
Bonfire 4L/round 5
Lava 6L/round 5
Severe sandstorm 1L/minute 3
Supernatural ice storm 2L/minute 3
The Silent Wind of Hell 4A/round 4


It's on the list of Environmental Damage, but you're right; it does say Elemental Sources of Damage in ERP.

That's a tricky one to adjucate. Acid Baths would probably be right out, as well as trapped hallways, but the Silent Winds of Hell are essentially a weather-hazard. Of Malfeas. Does it count as elemental if it's acid rain, as opposed to an acid bath? If the storms of a wyld-pocket hurl knives of glass along the wind instead of motes of sand, does that count?
>>
>>45328078

beachfoxverse on tumblr.
>>
>>45339291
Also, our group is 70xp currently, at this powerlevel what is the best way to become invincibleish in 2.5.
Not like I have any problems surviving currently but we are going to face some serious shit soon and I want to be ready for the worst.
>>
>>45339318
Remember, toxic fumes are an example given in the charm. Adjudicating what is 'elemental' here is clearly more complicated than just the five elements.
>>
>>45338942
>Brawl also conveys an aptitude for brawling aides such as brass knuckles and improvised weaponry such as chairs and broken bottles.
Does that mean I can use anything as a weapon? Even, say... windows? Could I make a Martial Art out of that?
>>
File: aaMFi.jpg (495 KB, 2559x1439) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
aaMFi.jpg
495 KB, 2559x1439
Are there any particularly abusive tricks that a full circle of Solars can pull of at E4?

It's for a 3e game.
>>
>>45339520
What are you specifically trying to do? Is this just to peeve off the ST?
>>
>>45339520
What is this, the Shit-tier Waifus Hall of Shame?
>>
File: Yordle 5.jpg (352 KB, 1489x957) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Yordle 5.jpg
352 KB, 1489x957
>>45339567
I'm trying to foresee what my players might do and head off things particularly bad things.

Or at least prepare for them, even a little.

>>45339582
LOL champs. It's just an image.
>>
In case anon is still curious:

>>45331924
My character was forced to learn sorcery at a young age by his family, he didn't have the luxury of choosing his method of initiation. He does not like being bound to a second circle demon as part of that initiation. As to how we're doing this, I don't have any lore charms to accelerate the teaching, so the Storyteller is just having this be a normal fixture in the setting. Students learn at the speed they normally learn at and shenanigans occur. I have backing 3, influence 2, contacts 2, and resources 3, but the backing all comes from sorcerers who aren't the most keen on combat.
>>
>>45339638
Ah. I was going to say, if you were a player i'd be rather salty. As an ST I hate when my players specifically try to abuse the system to piss me off. Anyway, my players are still nice and low at essence 1. So fortunately, or maybe unfortunately for you in this case, I've nothing more to add... Though one of my players has supernal melee and shining ice mirror, and is looking at the Single Point style so that they can aim on every turn while still attacking. Also they're looking to combine that with steel devil style. So they have a PDV of like... 11 all the time.
>>
>>45339354
They're toxic fumes created by a volcano, though. That might matter, too.
>>
File: Ez Baron steal.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1145) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Ez Baron steal.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1145
>>45339693
Thanks for the advice.

But something more tangible would have been good.
>>
>>45339693
Steel Devil Style+Full Defense+Battle-Dancer Method+Dodge Charms is fucking annoying.

Someone who can just sit there and stay at 9 defense before using charms and still get decisive counter-attacks that don't consume initiative is fucking annoying. Especially with being able to fill their Charge pool off the initiative they steal for dodging at all.
>>
>>45339475

I'd personally say no, but there technically is a Martial Art that uses ladders as a form weapon.

>Silent Winds of Hell are essentially a weather-hazard

I wouldn't call the imprisoned world-body of one of the architects of Creation a "weather-hazard" because that's selling it a bit short. I mean, it's technically true, but it doesn't really convey her nature.
>>
>>45339291
>>45339335
anyone?
>>
>>45340077
Point taken, if you can argue you can soak away 5 dice of elemental damage from one of the Primordials, you can argue it applies to lightning an Air-Caste throws at you as well. Or blades of cutting wind.
>>
>>45340077
>I wouldn't call the imprisoned world-body of one of the architects of Creation a "weather-hazard" because that's selling it a bit short. I mean, it's technically true, but it doesn't really convey her nature.
>selling it a bit short
You sold it a bit short yourself. Remember the passage of Adorjan has killed entire Hell-Nations (ranking in millions of demons) in a few minutes.
>>
>>45340114
also I have reed in the wind
with that stupid rule does that mean that no matter what I get bonus only from reed in the wind, anima or bliss?
>>
>>45340171
I seem to recall magical armor not stacking, so yes
>>
>>45337903

Righteous Devil

Otherwise import Firearms charms
>>
>>45337903
This film was totally about sidereals, they even had a loom of fate.
>>
>>45340758
>This film was totally about sidereals
Does that mean Sloan was Rakan Thulio?
>>
>>45339255
The supertank in my game used that Charm earlier this week to take a sweet 2 minute dive in lava to tear out some orichalcum from a broken manse.

Worked pretty well for him though he still almost died.
>>
>>45340115
At least in 2e there was a difference between a "natural" elemental damage and directed one.

The lightning from a supertornado you'd be able to deal with but the directed essence of an Air Caste would cause you problems. Most of the Primordials always on, you're just dead wide scale effects were also deemed "natural".
>>
Are clashes offensive or defensive? When it says 'decisive only' does that mean you can only use it against decisive attacks or only make decisive attacks? The book doesn't actually allow it to be both.
>>
>>45341381
Clashes mean you both attack each oter on the same tick. So they're offensive
>>
>>45341390
That makes sense. Using one against a withering attack is certainly inadvisable.
>>
>>45340899
I've been doing it that way in my game at least, I actually hadn't really thought about it until now, but I assumed it still worked like that and jsut went okay.
>>
>>45340899
>At least in 2e there was a difference between a "natural" elemental damage and directed one.
There doesn't appear to be a similar distinction in 3e, which is perfectly fine with me, because it was stupid.

Giant pile of firedust "randomly" explodes because of a careless worker with a lantern -> you are completely fine.

Giant pile of firedust "randomly" explodes because a ninja set it off with a lantern -> you are dead.

Perfectly logical.
>>
>>45342149
the worst are the people that tried to justify that as an IC thing, with rules as a physics engine and everything
>>
File: First-Strike-2.png (528 KB, 853x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
First-Strike-2.png
528 KB, 853x480
>>45340077
>Martial Art that uses ladders as a form weapon.

Ah, yes. Yes.
>>
>>45342176
Seeing as how the world of Exalted work, it wouldn't be out of question that intent does change the outcome and metaphysical property of a damage. Not really more stupid than anything else.
>>
>>45340077
>>45342228
That shit got cut for being too silly, and for good reasons.
>>
>>45342274
>Saying shit about Heaven's Ladder Style.

It's like you hate fun.
>>
>>45341432
I keep reading that but I'm afraid I don't get why.

Can someone explain why it's a bad idea to clash Withering attacks? Or is it just clashing Withering with Decisive that is bad (in which case hey I guess I'm just overcomplicating it, because yeah that's obviously not good)?
>>
>>45342274
Okay Dr Seriousman.
>>
>>45342817
>Or is it just clashing Withering with Decisive that is bad (in which case hey I guess I'm just overcomplicating it, because yeah that's obviously not good)?
This. Those extra +accuracy dice really hurt.

Sometimes you might have to, though.
>>
Is there any way to remove bad luck from eclipse oath breakin shit?
We had a contract that our caste would not attack Empire for 10 years and would not touch their armies, but I berserked out and limit broke and started attacking their army last session.
Now I will have 3 fucking botches.
Any way to remove this curse?
>>
>>45342994
Kill yourself, the botches won't carry over into your next live. Aside from that, nope.
>>
>>45342994
You should not make an Eclipse Oath you are not sure you can honour.

Maybe you should have thought of it sooner, because as far as I know there is indeed no way to get around it (appart from 2nd Edition Fiend-caste Infernals).
>>
>>45342994
If your GM lets you negate the Eclipse oath then he's a dick.
>>
>>45339285
>I don't think The Silent Wind of Hell qualifies as an elemental source of environmental damage.
Only if she completed the Elemental Pole of Adorjan.
>>
>>45342994
>took berserk anger as virtue flaw
Just kill yourself before you get your whole circle killed. RAW Berserk Anger is terrible. It's stupidly easy to trigger and extremely debilitating and difficult to deal with.

Though under partial control you shouldn't have been forced to attack them.
>>
>>45326652
Anyone got a link for a download for 2e Alchemical book?
>>
>>45339672
How long is the ST setting this normal fixture to be in game? They are ready when it seems appropriate?

I have the teaching charms and I'm still a few points of exp away from getting my first 3 sorcerers ready. Going to build an academy in the capital city of the kingdom we are currently ruling. Gonna be coolios, me thinks.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 736x1041
From what little I've heard about Exalted apparently the setting is interesting but the rules are irreconcilably broken. Is this true or am I being memed? Did 3e change anything?
>>
>>45339927
>Steel Devil Style+Full Defense+Battle-Dancer Method+Dodge Charms is fucking annoying.
You can't combine dodge charms with parry charms.

Also, flexible weapons bypass full defense.
>>
>>45346492
>Any attack she means to parry

Huh, you're right. I misread it as any attack you wanted to avoid at all. Well, within Dual-Slaying Stance your parry is already raised by 2, so you can easily get a Parry of 9 without spending a mote anyway (Parry 5, Dual-Slaying 7, Full-Defense 9) and not everyone walks around with a Flexible weapon anyway. And if you're using a Medium Weapon, Parry 10.
>>
>>45346454

The mechanics of 1e or 2e can be fairly compared to slamming your dick in a desk drawer that's full of scorpions who are on fire.

3e is considerably better off than 1e or 2e. Depending on who you ask, it's either "legitimately a good system on its own" or "not a trainwreck," but the best point of comparison I can draw is this: People are willing to homebrew entire Exalt splatbooks rather than go back to 2e just to play Lunars/Alchemicals/Infernals/whatever.
>>
>>45346139
nevermind
>>
File: MnemonNamei.png (495 KB, 640x1056) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
MnemonNamei.png
495 KB, 640x1056
What martial arts are you looking forward to, everyone?
>>
>>45347544
Celestial Monkey Style.

Gotta love exploiting chakra's and sucker punching people in the dick.
>>
>>45347544
Arms of the Unconquered Sun. I love the theme of emulating the UCS, and the five Forms you can shift between make for a really interesting combat toolbox. Now that there's a functioning combat system, maybe it will even be as good as it should be.
>>
File: Chosen of Secrets.jpg (277 KB, 620x808) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Chosen of Secrets.jpg
277 KB, 620x808
>>45347544

Literally any functioning MA style. Particularly Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic followed closely by Prismatic Arrangement of Creation. Both of them are kind of iconic and the former is downright weird, especially as it nears the capstone.
>>
File: jeehyung-lee-05.jpg (221 KB, 1920x1233) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
jeehyung-lee-05.jpg
221 KB, 1920x1233
>>45346454
>Did 3e change anything?

Yes. There are subsystems that people don't like (Craft), there are style issues (having lots of itty-bitty rules and rules exceptions), there's some terrible art - but - the combat system is cool and functional, the social influence system is one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG, the setting is really good, the rules for sorcery and sorcerous workings are awesome, and so on.

If you or your GM are comfortable making judgment calls on the fly re: rules, 3e is pretty awesome. If you curl up into paralysis because you're not sure this attack counts as an ambush or a surprise attack, then go play something else.
>>
>>45347544
With regards to updates: Swaying Grass Dancer, any SMA, Mantis, the five Dragon styles. I'm more excited for wholly new stuff, though, like Heaven's Ladder.
>>
>>45347544
Golden Janissary.
>>
>>45346334
My character has intelligence 5, bureaucracy 3, lore 3, and occult 5. He's a pretty good organizer, so when the queen of Halta told him she wanted to repay the favor she owed him he said that he wanted to become nobility and run a sorcerous university. She didn't give him the nobility, but he got the university and now he runs it quite well. It's near the capital but not in it, so I would say it will last as long as the current queen remains in power, if not longer. That is, as long as there isn't a student who's actually really powerful, not controlled enough, and whom I haven't spotted as such. If a sufficiently puissant student fucks up, that could mean a fuckup of epic proportions. The dragon lines around the university could end up truly shattered if I don't make sure the students are careful.
>>
>>45349357
>the social influence system is one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG

It's better than 2e & definitely better for use in combat, but I've really come round to the Chronicles of Darkness social chase rules.
>>
>>45353196

Chronicles' is good for the world it's trying to portray, where no matter how good a man you are, eventually you'll give in even to a moderate temptation, and some people are so tempting they can just annihilate you no matter how good of a person you think you are. (I had a character who could, easily, knock 4 doors off in the first interval, meaning you needed above average resolve AND a reason to say no to even hold out for a whole day).

Ex3's is good for the world it's trying to portray, where what you care about matters a helluvalot more than who's trying to sell it to you (give or take), and even at the clutch moment you can say no one more time.

I wouldn't want to use one in the other's setting.
>>
>>45347544
The Immaculate styles and the mythical non-broken Sidereal Martial Arts.
>>
File: korra_by_sakimichan.jpg (566 KB, 1280x1798) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
korra_by_sakimichan.jpg
566 KB, 1280x1798
>>45347544
Prismatic Arrangement of Creation.

Blue Slut style.

'Punch people into ducks' Spider-Fu.

I have simple tastes and a terrible head for names.
>>
>>45355074
>another brown person drawn white for no good reason

I hate this place.
>>
>>45355090
Reading throught the 3e now, with mixed feelings so far.
is it actually possible in this system to kill someone from ambush instantl, without the use of Charms or other magic? As in, for example, for one mortal to shank another straight to Incapacitated in a dark alley?
>>
>>45355090
I could forgive it if the pic was otherwise better drawn.
>>
>>45356253
It's possible but not easy, assuming you're using the combat system and the opponent isn't a trivial opponent. The thing to remember here, though, is that the combat system is meant to enable fights with some back-and-forth, fights that have something going on even when blood is not drawn, fights that generally don't end in one blow. If that's not what the situation calls for, either treating the opponent as a trivial opponent or just rolling Stealth or whatever, with success meaning you manage to stealthily shank a dude, is the way to go.
>>
Guys, seriously, what does Sledgehammer Fist Punch do?
>>
>>45355090
What's the problem?
>>
>>45356253
Oh its easy to OHKO someone from stealth!

If you have join battle boosters.

To reliable OHKO kill someone in one stab you need something like 18 initiative, easily achievable for an exalt with minor charm investment. A mortal who, at the very max, is going to have 12 dice to roll (with a stunt) on join battle? He's going to be more sitting on about 9-ish initiative at the start, which, with a stealthy decisive, is still going to halfway kill someone.

The system is actually designed to make the OHKO much harder to achieve, and the benefit of stealth is so much less about killing someone without them knowing you were there, and instead getting the first blow in so they're running the rest of the fight with a wound penalty.

For extras though, just say they gurgle around the knife and die. Don't need to run a combat for stabbing a merchant in a back alley or pretending to be a sewing machine on the sleeping kings chest cavity
>>
>>45356829

Basically, it lets you do a feat of strength with (Strength) bonus successes, as a combat action (if you use it to attack someone) or reflexively (if you're just using it to wreck stuff).

Why the fuck it's a Brawl Charm, I don't know.
>>
>>45358590
Because Brawl is basically Solar Hero Style. Sledgehammer Fist Punch was in Solar Hero Style. They probably wanted to keep it with the style, though I definitely think that it belongs in the athletics tree.
>>
>>45358590
What does the (Strength) automatic successes do? There isn't a damage roll.
>>
>>45359110
Did you read anything he said? it's a feat of strength, they're successes on the feat of strength
>>
File: whorra.png (469 KB, 666x617) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
whorra.png
469 KB, 666x617
>>45355090

She looks much better white
>>
>>45359158
>ganguro Korra
why do you tempt me so?
>>
>>45359158
>She looks much better white
Who doesn't, really?
>>
>>45359202
Michael Jackson?
>>
>>45359139
That's certainly not what the charm says.
>>
Here's the text, for reference:
This attack is neither withering nor decisive and adds (Strength) automatic successes to the damage roll. This Charm greatly enhances a (Strength + Athletics) based
attempt to punch through an object; if the Solar’s totals approach viability for such a feat, this Charm allows her to greatly speed up the demolition, based on the durability of the object she strikes and the stunt she performs.
>adds (Strength) automatic successes to the damage roll.
>>
>>45359710
>This Charm greatly enhances a (Strength + Athletics) based attempt to punch through an object;

It's pretty clear that the Charm has two drafts that were stuck together, because the only viable readings are:
1) You make an attack that is "neither withering nor decisive" (which makes no sense, because there's no 'basic' attack rules), roll damage with (Strength) autosuccesses, and that applies some narrative modifier to how fast or slow your (Strength + Athletics), which isn't rolled but is looked at, can destroy a thing. (The literal one.)

2) Make a FoS as a combat or reflexive action with (Strength) bonus successes. (The one that contains less bullshit and still accomplishes the exact same intent.)
>>
>>45359770
That reading is interesting, because it makes it a retardedly good charm in a way that I'm not sure is intended. 5 automatic successes for 5m is great and that's before the effect of making an FoS instantaneous.
>>
>>45359809
It's restricted to FoSs that destroy things, though. Need to lift something heavy, or carry it somewhere, or throw it somewhere? You're fucked. Destroying things is a fairly narrow application of FoS
>>
>>45359809
Actually, looking again it has... negative synergy with the Athletics charms. It prevents you from using a full excellency (which Legion Aurochs Method makes cheaper), and 5 automatic successes are much worse than 10 dice when you're using Thunder's Might. You're also not taking any advantage of the extra dice you get for Increasing Strength Excercise, since those are dice-added by charms.
>>
>>45359968
I suppose that explains why it's in Brawl rather than Athletics, it's an FoS charm designed for combat time.
>>
>>45356253
>is it actually possible in this system to kill someone from ambush instantl, without the use of Charms or other magic? As in, for example, for one mortal to shank another straight to Incapacitated in a dark alley?
3e combat does not handle realistic, super lethal combat well; especially with regards to mortals fighting mortals. This isn't necessary a failure, it's just a situation that the combat system isn't designed to handle.

That's not to say that such a thing can't happen (people definitely do get shanked in dark alleys in Creation) but that you would handle the situation narratively, rather than through the combat system. Combat between mortals is almost exclusively going to be between NPCs, anyways.

Where 3e combat excels is in portraying dynamic battles where most combatants are capable of fighting at significantly above human ability.
>>
File: 69854.jpg (47 KB, 225x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
69854.jpg
47 KB, 225x350
>>45359158
She does indeed.

How uncomfortable do demons make people? If a peasant revolution gets bolstered by summoned blood apes, will people abandon the cause?
>>
Say an Eclipse sanctifies a contract that says "we won't fulfill this contract", what happens?
>>
>>45361707
Demons in general tend to be "bad shit here to fuck up everyone" to a normal peasant, but it doesn't have to be a deal breaker if you do things right, i.e have your Zenith tell everyone it's cool, show them they're under control and here to kill the other guys, don't let them eat random people even if they ask nice.

The summoner won't get lots of love from anyone though
>>
test post, please ignore
test post, please ignore
>>
>>45361739
Then if they fulfill the contract they suffer the breach effects/botches.
>>
>>45361739
The magic briefly considers it, coming into a paradox. Then, it decides just to be safe, it'll assume that everyone has failed to meet the conditions. Everyone suffers the penalties.
>>
Do charm dice restrictions apply to the damage pool?
>>
>>45363636
Considering that there's damage adders that straight up double your damage dice on the cheap?

No, no there isn't a charm dice limit on damage
>>
>>45363636
If it did Shining Point would be much less impressive
>>
>>45346454
If you like rules heavy stuff then chances are you will have fun with rules exalted 3e.
>>
>>45363636
Nope. Feel free to kill a 40HL monster with a single strike.
>>
>>45347544
Crystal Chameleon, White Veil, Arms of the Unconquered Sun, Mantis, Swaying Grass, most of SMAs. We could already see a glimpse of Immaculate Styles and they were good so I'm holding my hopes high.
>>
>>45347544
Definitely Water Dragon Style.
I had an Eclipse who ended up getting together with an Immaculately trained Water Aspect, and she taught him said style.
The campaign has been on hold for a while, but we plan on converting it to 3e before we resume, so I'd like to have my full arsenal again before venturing forth.
>>
File: 1425281935745.jpg (473 KB, 1250x1100) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1425281935745.jpg
473 KB, 1250x1100
>>45367022
Speaking of the Immaculate Dragon Styles, though; Does anyone think they'll have the Mastery keyword amongst their charms?

I'd consider it a bit odd since the style was made explicitly for DB's, but who knows. Maybe the Sidereals who made the styles wanted to keep a leg up on the terrestrial practitioners.
>>
>>45356253
>>45361630

In this case, it's simply better to handle the scenario with a single roll of Dex+Stealth to see if the victim isn't simply shanked and killed instantly.

Just in case, though, don't do this if the potential victim is a PC.
>>
>>45367125
Maybe DBs are gonna have Mastery effects on their Aspects Dragon Style or maybe they can buy a immaculate charm that allows them to access them. Thats what I think will happen. Maybe.
>>
>>45367432

It's been confirmed that they have a way to access the Celestial keyword in the same way they could get CMAs, right? Did I hear that one splat will be able to combine MA charms with non MA charms or am I just undergoing Limit Break?
>>
>>45367650
>It's been confirmed that they have a way to access the Celestial keyword in the same way they could get CMAs, right?
Not confirmed, but a pretty good guess.

>Did I hear that one splat will be able to combine MA charms with non MA charms or am I just undergoing Limit Break?
Now that I've definitely never heard; you're almost certainly imagining it.
>>
Hey guys, just got back from a character creating session where I'm making a Lore Supernal and I'm stuck on what Specialties I should take.

I've got my base 4, plus since we're starting at around 75xp he's giving me 5 more because of Lore's Charm that lets you get free ones, that I have.

What are some pretty useful that I could have fun with?
>>
>>45369519
History, geography, religion, and nobility are all good starting points, since you can pull ancient feuds, quirky river currents, weird cults, or friendly aristocrats out of thin air whenever they're necessary.

However, a chunk of it depends on what the rest of your character looks like. A specialty in mathematics might work well for a high-Bureaucracy character, while a doctor might want epidemiology and a sorcerer demons. Or a specialty in the Direction you're native to.
>>
>>45326652
>What is Exalted?

A fucking garbage
>>
>>45371783
ok holden
>>
>>45367125
>Speaking of the Immaculate Dragon Styles, though; Does anyone think they'll have the Mastery keyword amongst their charms?
Almost certainly. The Mastery keyword is just a natural outgrowth of Solars being better at Abilities, including Martial Arts.

>>45367432
>Maybe DBs are gonna have Mastery effects on their Aspects Dragon Style or maybe they can buy a immaculate charm that allows them to access them. Thats what I think will happen. Maybe.
Highly unlikely. That would give them access to a Solar-grade combat suite. It would also make any DB who didn't learn MA or focused on a non-Immaculate MA an idiot.

A way to remove the Terrestrial keyword is far more likely. That alone would be pretty massive powerup. Even contemplating going beyond that is the domain of an E6+ Immaculate Grand Master.
>>
>>45371783
>A fucking garbage


Glorious Garbage Fucker Prana
Cost 1m; Mins: Bureaucracy 2, Essence 1
Type: Simple
Keywords: Autist
Duration: Life
Prerequisite Charms: yes

The Solar suffuses his form with glory, intensifying the angle of his motion, unleashing a torrent of unimaginable shitposting into a general thread. Unfortunately, the general is already shit, so no one cares.
>>
Wait is that a thing? Is like Raziere infamous? thought they were just a forum user on OPP?
>>
>>45369519
Some random lore specialties:
geology
trade
agriculture
math
physics
military history
shogunate relics
prophecy
(local) culture

You'll also want specialties that apply to Lore charms with rolls for those sweet, sweet +(Essence) non-charm successes:
essence manipulation
environmental manipulation
wyld-shaping
riddles
>>
Guy i game with does a podcast with his exalted group. Hes been posting to rpgnet and exalted forums. I dont think he thought to post his shit here but its funny because this thread was the one he originally linked me to grab the more recent leak a few months ago. http://atrusilk.podbean.com/
>>
>>45371783
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1455252403846.webm
>>
>>45372423
She's also on GitP and she's an annoying twatsack there too
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>45359458
This got a good laugh out of me.

Thanks /exg/.
>>
>>45374238
What other users are infamous and what for? I enjoy hearing about the exalted community drama.
>>
>>45376188
Only really irritating one that comes to mind is meschlum, aggravating not just because his username starts with a lower case letter, but because he believes the solution to every problem is the borked 2e Fae mechanics and posts incessantly about them no matter the topic.
>>
>>45337903
>Are there any fixes for Archery charms' incompatibility with firewands and crossbows?
The fuck are you on about? The only Archery charms incompatible with Firewands are ones that extend their Range.
>>
>>45347544
>What martial arts are you looking forward to
White Veil.

But honestly, while Martial Arts Styles used to captivate my interest within Exalted, their utter inaccessibility to mortals in 3e means that unless they grant some way for unexalted someones to learn it, my interest will wane entirely in favor of the now-mortal-accessible Sorcery.

When you have to seek out Dragon-blooded at the bare minimum in order to pass on training of your martial charms, you've just completely destroyed the main thing actually tying martial arts into the world at large, and thus my interest in it.

If they add back in a way for me to be the sifu to an entire class of mortal Golden Janissaries and have it be anything other than a bunch of mortals with a shittier version of mundane Melee, then I'll be enthused again, but until then I'm only looking forward to Martial Arts styles which offer niche characters specific utility above and beyond just normal combat.
>>
File: 1427899143276.jpg (142 KB, 651x520) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1427899143276.jpg
142 KB, 651x520
>>45361707
>How uncomfortable do demons make people?
Enormously.

While the typical Exalted player knows that demons are just the manageable, alien residents of an unpleasant pocket dimension, your typical Creation resident thinks demons are possibly-mythological horrors who are only not-murdering when they're subversively corrupting people.

While the typical Exalted player knows that Fair Folk are barely-shaped horrors from the formless chaos beyond the borders of reality, and that Iron disrupts them because of its close association to the ordered reality of the element of Earth, your typical Creation resident just knows that people sometimes go missing in the woods at night, and that their grandma said sleeping with an iron horseshoe under your pillow keeps away bad dreams.

While the typical Exalted player knows that humans have a two-part soul and that ghosts are caused by the cycle of reincarnation having been damaged by the deaths of the Primordials during an ancient-beyond-ancient war, your typical Creation resident just knows that something horrible happened at the abandoned keep once and now pale figures can be seen in the windows at night, dripping with blood.

Exalted suffers from a really, really bad case of the setting being presented to the readers from an omniscient, objective perspective, while the typical resident of the setting is wildly ignorant of literally everything about all of that shit.

Exalted is a setting where the players know out of character that you can heal someone by using acupuncture to correct the flow of their Wood essence, but your typical peasant might think that albino people can be chopped up into medicinal parts. Where the players know that Gem is a trade city in the far South ruled by a mercantile despot, but the typical peasant has only ever heard of it as a mythical places where sand has turned to fire and men farm jewels like potatoes.

If you need to know what peasants think of anything, assume they're ignorant fucks.
>>
>>45376912
Fuck off, meschlum rocks.

Since when has a homebrewer having a main theme to everything they write been a bad thing?
>>
>>45356253
>>45361630
>STORYTELLING ADVICE: SKIP IT
>We offer one final word of advice about the combat rules: sometimes you should ignore them. In some situations, breaking into a detailed blow-by-blow battle would slow things down rather than spicing the game up. For example: Six months into an ongoing chronicle, a mighty Dawn Caste warrior wielding a formidable artifact weapon comes upon an inexperienced sentry walking the walls of a fortress the Solar is storming. Deciding there’s little doubt as to the fight’s outcome, the Storyteller decides to simply offer the Dawn’s player a chance to make a difficulty 2 (Dexterity + Melee) roll to dispatch her hapless and outmatched foe before he is able to raise an alarm. Alternately, if an infiltrating Night Caste wants to sneak up on a patrolling mortal house guard and knock him out with a sap or headlock, a simple (Dexterity + [Brawl, Melee, or Martial Arts]) roll will probably take care of the problem. If he wants to knock out Octavian, the Living Tower… that’s a job for the combat engine. Ultimately, when to skip over combat is up to the judgment of the Storyteller.
>>
So did anyone home-brew up Dragonblooded yet?
>>
How strongly can Dragon-marks manifest? How strongly have they manifested canonically? I want to make a Dragon-blooded with bark for skin and leaves for hair, but I don't know if that would be too over the top.
>>
>>45377686
If the DB's breeding dots and/or Essence are high, there's no reason it can't be.

Ragara Myrrun, for example, has skin that's practically made out of marble and eyes that resemble polished gems, so there's precedent.
>>
>>45377593
I don't think it's a priority, because unlike Infernals and Alchemicals, DBs are coming out first.
>>
>>45377593
It's the next splat coming out, so nobody wants to bother with it
>>
Are there any Alchemical charms for turning into a motorcycle with SMGs strapped to it?
>>
So I'm writing a Resistance charm that makes you harder to knock-back and the idea is that it a) forces other people to go by Heaven Thunder Hammer rule; that is that they have to be able to physically throw the people they're knocking back and b) make the Solar count as being heavier than they are.

It's an essence 2 or 3 charm so the plan is that it's impossible to move the character without magic, so a strength 7 feat. I just need suggestions on the actual numbers the charm gives. Should it be just 'must be strength 7' or 'essence+stamina' or 'must be capable of making a feat of strength at (Solar's Stamina x2)'?
>>
>>45355090
>another brown person drawn white for no good reason
What are you complaining about? That makes her look better, if anything. Brown women only look good when they have European blood in them. Have you seen pure-blooded black women? They look like lumpy shaven gorillas.
>>
>>45372321
If it's a shitposting charm, shouldn't it be in the Lore tree?
>>
>>45378591
Not Linguistics?
>>
>>45378591
>>45378624

Shitposting is pretty firmly Linguistics.

Lore would be being able to recite the history of shitposting and name notable trolls.
>>
>>45378507
>all brown people are rural, tribal Africans
>>
>>45378867
>Responding to shitty trolls
>>
>>45378773
>name notable trolls
Uh.... Jim Profit?
>>
>>45378984

Dr Asian. Jim Profit. Red Machine D. Porkeye-guy. You have much to learn, grasshopper.
>>
>>45379021
Looks like someone invested in the Lore charms that let you make up bullshit that's retroactively true.
>>
File: Introducing A Fact.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1644) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Introducing A Fact.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1644
>>45379812
>Looks like someone invested in the Lore charms that let you make up bullshit that's retroactively true.
>>
>>45379812

Dr. Asian is the guy who spammed "ASIANS == ELVES???" for an entire summer.

Jim Profit is Jim Profit.

Red Machine D is a fat ginger fuck who used to shitpost before Profit.

Porkeye was more localized shitposting; he had a fetish for THF and called the autist porkeye.

Just because it's not on 1d4chan doesn't mean it isn't true, fucko.
>>
>>45380137
>Jim Profit is Jim Profit.
He needs no further introduction.
>>
>>45365957
There's a chance. The chances aren't good.

But there's a chance.
>>
>>45378773
Very funny.

It's like the entire ex3 engine was designed as a joke to mock paying customers.

Really.

Granted as far as busting up the community goes, it's been fucking amazing.

In fact, more than a few people have posited between the douchery of the developers, the super long wait for anything of use, and the general low quality of Onyx Path productions these days, the audience is mostly gone by now.

Nah. Nah. Nevermind. This isn't like a joke at all. This is like a sad clown hanging itself from a shrub.
>>
>>45380830
Yes, yes, you're very angry, that's nice.

We'll be over here playing 3rd edition.
>>
>>45380830
>It's like the entire ex3 engine was designed as a joke to mock paying customers.
What? The only things about Ex3 that are like bad jokes are how long it's taken, some of the art and Holden and Morke's way of handling PR. Which means that there are quite a few things about it that are like jokes designed to mock the customers, admittedly, but the basic engine is not one of these things.
>>
>>45380830
What the christ are you talking about?
>>
>>45380830
?

I'm not really getting that impression at all.
>>
Has anyone extensively used 3e crafting rules to their full extent, with all the crafting xp types and slots? What is your opinion of it?
Because it sounds quite tedious and counterintuitive. Most of the crafting Charms just seem to be different ways to generate crafting xp or more of it.
>>
>>45381195
His sources are impeccable. Is it 'impeccable' or 'imaginary'? I always get those confused.
>>
>>45381247
Crafting is probably the only real failure of the 3E engine, and is much more complex than it ought to be.
>>
>>45380973
>>45380976
>>45381089
>>45381195
>>45381287
You all missed the part where he called you virgins without you even realizing.
>>
>>45381247
The Crafting system aims at modeling artisans and bringing the "little crafting" back into the spotlight. It's designed around two observations that we can guess were probably what the devs were thinking about at at the time of conception :

>Crafting in pnp tends to drift off-screen because the impressive acts of Crafting players want to enact will generally also be those that take the longest in-game time to cook up, and that naturally gets done in downtime.

So there needs to be a basic level that incentivises small crafting within the system. As such, Basic Projects cover a ridiculously varied range of potential projects, and the reward rules ensure they are used as leverage to move the story along too, which means they by definition cannot be "meaningless busywork" (so no WoW-like crafting a thousand bronze daggers and bam you can do a daiklave). As a result you have Crafters actually Crafting on-screen, and using their personal brand of Crafting to interact with and help forward the story regularly.

>As a result of big Crafting stuff falling in the background, the creation process kind of looses impact on the story, and the Crafter becomes the guy that's got a bunch of cool items rather than the guy who's worked on a Daiklave for 10 years and finally draws it for the first time in Battle.

The solution the Devs opted for to resolve this problem is to implement a ressource-management and dice minigame subsystem for Craft, with a big amount of charms focused on enhancing your performance at the minigame, but that also hooks onto the story (because of the craft xp reward conditions).

So if you're good with both those reasonings and don't mind beancounting much, give it a try!
>>
>>45381939
Nobody cares.
>>
>>45381826
Not the guy you were referring to, but even Craft has its fans. I'm one, I've just gotten tired of the constant REEEEEEEEEEEE whenever I talk about it.

>>45326652
>How well has ruling gone for your Exalt/Players /tg/?

God I want to play a ruler. All my games so far have been travelogues. ;_;
>>
>>45382181
I think the craft system could have been great if the Devs had put actually well-written charms on top of it.

That's my beef. If someone put together a good charm-rewrite for the default system, I'd use it without the slightest kvetch.
>>
>>45382241
What's your beef with the Charms?
>>
what happens in 2.5 to an infernal that resolves their urge? i cant seem to find it in the book.
>>
>>45382732
they get to raise Essence as if they'd fullfilled their motivation, then get a new one.
>>
>>45381977
>>45382181
>>45382241
Right, maybe I would have felt better about the craft system, if there were Charms, that served as an inspiration as to what you can accomplish. Expanded your options, gave special bonuses (unrelated to their intended functions) and rules to someone who used your creations. Maybe a Charm, that makes your creation reinforce or erode certain Intimacies in the users. Draws good or bad luck. Or one that makes them supernaturally desirable, sparking wars for posession or great boons for giving them away, disproportionate to their actual value.

I would even be fine with entire Charm trees devoted to a single crafting specialization, such as Architecture (First Age amenities apartment complex or unconquerable fortress charms) or Cooking (convert meat into fish into milk into fruit, supernaturally nourishing, or food that is impossible to poison).
But as it is, most of the Charms are purely mechanical and very dreary.
>>
>>45380830
Most people enjoy OPP's output, though. Except Beast the Primordial.

Oh god, Beast.
>>
So this happened earlier today, and I need to vent, because god damn it.

Yandere. Swan. Lunar. Mate.

God fucking damnit.
>>
>>45383086
You win, why are you venting?
>>
>>45382632
Pretty much just repeating what that other guy said?

They're fucking boring. Now, to be fair, 2Es Crafting Charms weren't much better. The problem with Craft is that it's both the absolutely largest charm-set in the game, clocking up at above 50 charms, and is the most boring.

The Devs have talked about how the goal of Nu-Craft is to get folks to

1. Fuck about with smaller crafting
2. Not make every craft project an artifact
3. Not make downtime wizards awesome
4. Make artifacts special and difficult to make.

Problem is, all the Craft Charms are just about pumping up your craft numbers. And, because you have FIFTY charms combo-ing off each other, you end up with the actual set-up being that artifact making is trivially easy with enough investment. On top of this, there aren't any flavorful charms built around small crafting.

Now, when we talk about flavorful, that's a bit of an odd duck; most melee charms are just dice-adders and switcheroos, but because fighting back and forth is intrinsically exciting, that doesn't really matter. But you look at, say, Sail, and Sail is chock-full of neat flavorful shit. A charm that makes you a salty dog, always knowing your position at sea, able to keep easy balance even on a ship practically turned upside down in a storm, alongside being such a tough old sailor you're more resistant to supernatural fear? That's rad! A charm that lets you press-gang Creatures of Darkness into your crew, making them immune to Anti-CoD charms while on the deck of your ship? Also rad!

Craft has about eight actually cool flavorful charms. It has charms to let you build with your bare hands, shatter things with a touch, a few charms revolving around making what you built last forever, and Dual Magnus Prana (I don't like DMP, but, at its core, it's still a cool narrative effect instead of just a dice-adder)
>>
>>45383272
Continuing;

When it comes down to it, charms have been and always will be the meat of your system. The Withering/Decisive combat system is nice, but if you didn't have charms it'd be pretty fucking boring to play after your second combat. Even with gambits, it's...not too much on its own.

The Devs have written some spiels about how Charms in of themselves should not be doing the cool thing, and that your character using a suite of tools should be what's cool.

That's all fine and dandy, but when the charms let me do something I normally couldn't do, it's expanding the list of Cool Shit(tm) I can do.

As a melee character, having charms that let me cram my anima down into my blade, making it glow with molten sunlight and able to melt apart mortal arms and armor gives me plenty of fodder to stunt off of, even if at the end of the day all it does is let me add stunt-bonuses to damage rolls. As a melee character, having Sandstorm Wind-Attack is awesome, sending streamers of colored light ripping through the earth and walls to strike at my enemies from afar, even if it's just "you can make a decisive at a range beyond close".

Craft doesn't have shit that lets me do stuff outside the normal rules of Craft. Or rather, it doesn't have enough. Shattering Grasp is good. Durability-Enhancing Technique is good. A charm that lets me stunt tapping on a few spots to make a door fall apart off its hinges? A charm that lets me make even rice-paper nigh-unbreakable? Cool! I can use that for some real awesome stunts. Making objects and their possessors resistant to the warping effects of the wyld? Cool!

But I can't use 40 charms of "Double 7s and re-roll 2s until they fail to appear. Convert silver EXP to gold EXP. Gain silver EXP every time you sleep. Add (Craft) non-charm dice to your roll. Gain an extra terminus. Gain an extra slot." to do Cool Stunts and Shit. And that's the problem. Pare it down. Fewer, cooler charms.
>>
>>45383214
> why are you venting?
Because when she's not trying to sleep with my character, she's trying to kill him. Hell, she's often trying to kill him even when she is trying to sleep with him. She seems to think that the best way to deal with rejection is a fight to the death. If my char dies, then his exaltation goes to someone who might love her back, and if she dies, her exaltation goes to someone that my char might love. If I didn't know better, I'd think she's was taking relationship advice from fucking Adorjan.

The other lunar mate that's been introduced for another one of the group wasn't even half this crazy, and she was a fucking crocodile.
>>
>>45383403
(I am >>45381977)
That one I can absolutely get behind : Craft charms are certainly not the most exciting out of the book.

I seldom assume people will want to pick all charms in an Ability, because Ex3 doesn't really work that way (unlike 2 and 2.5 where it was kind of expected), but still, even then, Craft charms are quite plain.

Although they do give you bragging rights on who gets to roll the biggest wheelbarrow of dice.
>>
>>45383214
> implying yandere gf is "winning"

Your fetish a shit.
>>
>>45383499
Oh, absolutely the biggest wheelbarrow right behind the Single Point Stylist rolling damage.

I think I rolled something like 50 successes off 30 dice with enough Craft Charms once (just theorycrafting)

Even if you're not buying all the charms ever, Craft still has way too many. I love that most of the charm-trees are big enough to have multiple branching paths within them that you can consider just one of a good capstone for your character.

As a melee character, I could build up a counter-attack monster until I have Over and Under Method, a few bread and butter charms from early on, and consider myself done. I don't need to go all the way into multi-attacks to get Circle of Bright Reaving as well!

But with Craft, there aren't any real good flavorful capstones to point to either, whereas pretty much all the abilities have a few clearly defined trees with a real neat end to them, except Dual Magnus Prana.
>>
>>45383456
See, this is why you really need to talk things over with the ST before delving into solar/lunar mate territory. It's so dependent on personal taste and can end up incredibly weird or awkward or just plain unpleasant if it isn't handled properly.
>>
>>45384013
We did, at least a little bit anyway. The ST didn't want to introduce a lunar mate unless the associated player gave him the go ahead. I agreed because the aforementioned crocodile girl went over really well with the first guy who took that chance. She ended up being the source of a decent bit of humor, and I figured "hey, that worked out well enough, guess I'll give it a shot." Except I ended up getting a crazy brainwashed swan girl.
>>
>>45383670
>I think I rolled something like 50 successes off 30 dice with enough Craft Charms once (just theorycrafting)
Bah! Medicine can easily* exceed 100** successes on a single roll.

*Once per story
**60+ w/o FSSA
>>
>>45384391
> yandere swan lunar
> comic relief crocodile lunar

Tell me where your GM lives so that I may kidnap him.

Or I guess I could just steal the ideas, but that doesn't seem like it would be as fun.
>>
>>45379898
The hell does this meme picture comes from?
>>
So help me understand a 2e thing. Can a god hold positions in multiple bureaus heaven?
Like take nara-o. Hes the god of secrets only one person knows, thats something abstract so that would make him part of the department of abstract matters, and he also holds a head position in the bureau of destiny. Can he hold both of those at the same time?
>>
>>45384846

It's kind of necessary, given the endless chain of departments and hierarchies at play in Heaven. Plus it's thematic; almost every god serves at least two masters, ensuring plenty of divided loyalties and office politic.
>>
File: Criticism.jpg (45 KB, 736x588) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Criticism.jpg
45 KB, 736x588
>>45383403
Can you please provide a homebrew that will entirely overhaul or replace the Craft system then? Because I see the start of an idea, but I don't see substance. The developers, loathed though they may be, have created something. If you don't like that thing, you don't have to use it. But if you're going to bitch about it in an /exg/ thread you should be contributing, cuz we like this game.
>>
>>45385939
Not the guy you're replying to. But

1. Fuck off.
2. Someone wanted to know what his problem with Crafting was. He told them. What's the problem here exactly?
3. You don't need to be able to make a better sandwich to know that the sandwich you're eating is shitty, and why.
4. What exactly does "cuz we like this game" have to do with any of it? He never said in his post he doesn't like the game. He doesn't like that particular aspect of the game. He doesn't owe you a homebrew for stating his opinion. He doesn't owe you jackshit. Fuck, this is a 4chan board. It's 90% Opinion.
>>
What's the best way to have the Broken-Winged Crane show up?
>>
>>45387103

Maybe have a PC go into Limit Break and pen the entire thing by the time they snap out of it. Is there any context to this question or are we just theory crafting?
>>
>>45383499
In my experience so far the charms themselves are dru but what you can do with them is pretty amazing. Artifacts have all the versatility they did in 2e and now with the new hotness of evocations they're even cooler
>>
>>45387191
Well, the PC is the kind of person that would actually consider reading it to try and learn stuff instead of burning it, so I plan to drop it in as loot/source of new spells/shaping rituals/seductive influence that can lead him astray and make him into a pawn of the yozis.

Ideally, it would be in a form he doesn't immediately recognise.
>>
>>45383272
>you end up with the actual set-up being that artifact making is trivially easy with enough investment.
I'm pretty sure that's working as intended. You /can/ get to a place like 2e where you lock yourself inside your workshop and churn out artifacts, its just that that's the pinnacle after alot of effort instead of the baseline.
>>
If I know Wake the Sleeper and use it on my Artifact, can it unlock Evocations that have a higher Essence requirement than what I have?

I feel it wouldn't, but all other Charms of such ability typically say "only one you would qualify for" or some such. While Wake the Sleeper says "automatically unlocks one of the artifact's Evocations without spending experience points."
>>
>>45387256

Well, there's no description on hat on of the innumerable copies look like, IIRC, so he won't recognize it until he reads it.

According to the White and Black Treatises, page 34, the PC will need to make a Willpower check upon opening the book to not go mad. But that's second edition and I don't know how much you want to fuck over your player.
>>
>>45387476
>the PC will need to make a Willpower check upon opening the book to not go mad. But that's second edition and I don't know how much you want to fuck over your player.
yeah no, not going to be that much of a dick.
>>
>>45387509

Yeah, I was thinking a good alternative might be that they instead make an (Intelligence+Integrity, sub other attribute if you think it'd make more sense) at increasing difficulty (start at one and add one upon every success) for every interval he spends hunched over the learn eldritch arcane secrets (roll every scene/day/week or when ever, could change as he gets further into the book).

The new Flaw subsystem allows for derangements to begin at the Minor level before going up through Major and into Defining. Try something like that, shouldn't be too bad if he has so much as an Integrity Excellency.
>>
File: welcometopol.png (735 KB, 598x840) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
welcometopol.png
735 KB, 598x840
>>45378507
>>
>>45326652
Holy shit I'm trying to learn 1E and it is not going well.

Jesus Christ tell me that 3E is better at least a little bit and I'll jump to it.
>>
>>45389316

Enormously. There's no reason to learn 1E's or 2E's system at this point.
>>
>>45389316
1E has some pretty good fluff, but there's really no point in bothering to learn the actual system.
>>
>>45384789
Law & Order SVU. The character there in that picture always has some crazy fucked-up shit to tell a story about in every episode, because he's seen some shit on the streets. The captions on the meme picture are bullshit not from actual episodes, but for anyone who's seen a lot of SVU, it takes a while to realize that fact because this is actually believable dialogue for him.
>>
>>45387193
>the new hotness of evocations
>having to buy additional charms to have artifacts be anything other than bigger numbers
Evocations are the worst addition to 3e so far, though I expect one of the new exalt types will top them for that trophy. They're just a horribly botched implementation.
>>
>>45389316
1e has some fluff high points (and some tremendously low points too) and trash mechanics.

2e has fewer high points (and less extreme low points) and even worse mechanics.

3e seems to have mostly solid fluff and really solid mechanics, but all we have so far is a core rulebook.
>>
>>45326652
Does the copy pasta for these threads irrationally irritate anyone else?
>>
>>45390445
What would you change it to?
>>
>>45391025

inb4 that one that got stuck up there for a while that goes to the effect of
>What is Exalted?
a fat slobbery turd hurf durf

>Boy that sounds fun
well then you're a stupid cunt ain'tcha
>>
>>45390255
I wouldn't switch off Sweet Chowder.
>>
>>45391041
It's weird how butthurt people get when the system is arguably now one of the better ones out there.
>>
Anyone have a map of the 3e place they're willing to upload?
>>
>>45391475
People don't like it when other, obviously dumb and probably morally reprehensible in some way, people like things they themselves dislike. It's not really weird as much as one of the more pathetic sides of human nature.
>>
>>45392758
check out http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/map/ it's better than map, click on map twice and learn terrible secrets.
>>
>>45392950
>it would take a Stormwind Rider 4 days to cross the Blessed Isle East-West

Oh shit son
>>
>>45393072
Creation a big. Stormwind rider also very fast.
>>
>>45390371
You have to buy 5-6 evos tops, sometimes as little as one. And you can use Solar XP or just meet the story prereq. What's the problem?
>>
>>45390371
Evocations were great in the leak, their final implementation is donkey bollocks
>>
>>45393457
Evos were cumbersome and bloated in the leak, they are much better in the backer preview.
>>
>>45393677

Evos are better in the preview, but since the devs just did a last minute hack-and-slash on them, pretty much anything that interacts with them is nonsensical.
>>
>>45390371
I think you mean being able to buy charms to make them more than bigger numbers. Except for a couple random things, 2e didn't give us many cool artifact weapons and no cool artifact armor (disregarding magitech which while cool was it's own bag of weirdness).

2e was way worse in the "artifact weapons are bigger numbers" thing. Examples of otherwise were what, Daiklave of Conquest and that invisible fucksword? The former was like never given to a player I've seen/read. The later is "thing you lose as a joke from ST".

Evocations are cool, and aren't even what you say since every example one in the book has some sort of base effect now. So basically, fuck off.
>>
>>45326652

I'm actually wondering - Is there any reasonable alternative to rule-by-Solar? Like, it seems the Deliberative would naturally emerge as a system of government if there are enough Solars extant; They are simply the people best equipped to rule.

If you don't, if you restrict yourself to "I'm not going to be king, but I'll wander the land teaching and helping people" you actually do more harm in the long run. When the Fey invade or something terrible happens, you don't have armies to stop them - Also, everyone has a far, far lower standard of living as it's not guided by a god-king's beneficence.
>>
>>45326652
Hold up. That's a WoW picture. A really new one. And I'm pretty sure the city it shows runs on liquid cocaine.
>>
>>45387103
My entire DB campaign revolves around the Broken Winged Crane, copies of it, faked copies of it, Mnemon attempting to find the empress's current location using it so she can finally have her murdered, people stealing and selling them for profit.

You can exploit the book's Phenomenal Cosmic Powers, but I find, much like the Necronomicon, that the most interesting stories are those about the people around it rather than the book itself.

In my campaign the book's occult contents are only tangentially related to the plot. The thing is, the Empress is gone because she's been invited to attend The Ebon Dragon's wedding (not as a bride but as a guest of honour), and the Crane is also a chronicle of the history of Malfeas.

Mnemon used her copy to stage a murder attempt during the Wedding, couldn't confirm the kill, and is now manipulating the PCs so they bring her more copies (always different) in hopes of finding her mother's trail again, or confirm her death. This manipulation involves forged copies of the book, to make the whole situation even more confusing, and real copies owned by luminaries of the world (in the Heptagram's high security Library - the one with the Ape - , in Mnemon's personnal stash, one was the property of the Tri-Khan but disappeared years ago, another lies among the ruins of the lost city of Tethys in the Deep South).

The entire plot revolves around people looking for and stealing copies of the book to try and gain an advantage over others. Wanton and irresponsible use of Satan in book form for political purposes seems really appropriate.

It will also involve the Original : once (if) my players somehow manage to come out on top of it all, realise they are being manipulated by Mnemon, reinstate the Empress or take the Throne for themselves, banish the treacherous sorceress, stop the civil war and establish long-lasting stability among the Realm, then in a few decades, Mnemon will pen the Original herself after years of
>>
>>45393457
Evocations were even worse in the leak. Their final implementation at least lets you unlock the first evocation just by attunement. If it weren't for that, artifacts would just be identical cookie-cutter shit until you invest charms in them, and that's awful.
>>
>>45390371
>having to buy additional charms to have artifacts be anything other than bigger numbers
>2e, where a Daiklave can only be a sword with bigger numbers
>>
>>45393794
>They are simply the people best equipped to rule.
This is frankly bollocks. The majority of Solars aren't politicians. A Night Caste assassin, a Resistance Zenith, a Craftnerd? These are all strictly worse at rulership than a Water Aspect with three Essence 1 Bureaucracy charms.

Yes, Solars have the highest hypothetical ability when it comes to being leaders and governors. But most Solars don't invest in those charms and are thus largely unequipped for the tasks involved in being the boss.

So, yeah, there is a reasonable alternative. And it's 'the dudes invested in Bureaucracy and Socialize charms rule.'
>>
>>45394597
>2e, where a Daiklave can only be a sword with bigger numbers
100% false. Artifacts in 2e were assumed to have unique powers above and beyond just their numerical statblock, especially when purchased at a higher Artifact rating than what the base weapon costs. Now, in 3e, you have to actually spend experience points to unlock any of those powers instead of having them be actually inherent to the weapon.

Thank goodness the final version unlocks the first evocation on attunement automatically, or the entire Evocation system would be irredeemable.
>>
>>45392950
>http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/map/
Are those travel times for traveling 25/7, or do they assume only eight, or only sixteen, or whatever hours per day?
>>
>>45394678
It's 24/7 in 3e
>>
>>45394685
Is that a pedantic correction or the actual answer to his question?
>>
>>45394685
Pedantic correction, although i hold that it was acceptable
>>
>>45394678
Some are 24/7, like the merchant ship, while horses assume you sleep. I don't recall the specifics, though.
>>
>>45394765
Is there anywhere I can check which is which? Also, is it an oarship or a sailing ship? Because sailing ships are rare in Creation, and most oarships can't hold enough people to have rowing shifts 25/7.

>>45394685
>It's 24/7 in 3e
I'll ignore that piece of fluff, thanks. I much prefer keeping in line with the fives motif, for association with the elements/maidens/castes.
>>
>>45383272
There was a thing on the reddit about some guy who 'fixed' craft. Basically scrapped the whole thing and wrote his own charms. We've been playing the edit-version in our own game, and it flows a lot better than the 3e stock version.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/797631-why-craft-sucks-how-i-fixed-it
>>
>>45393794
Reasonably good rule by reasonably competent and benevolent rulers seems like a better idea to me than a bunch of egoistical god-kings not answerable to anyone pursuing their own, different, often conflicting visions on how the world should be run. So yeah, there are reasonable alternatives to rule-by-Solar, and rule-by-mortals-assisted-but-not-dominated-by-the-Exalted is certainly among them.
>>
>>45394531
>then in a few decades, Mnemon will pen the Original herself after years of
Sadly, our copies of this post end here.

The full, complete version of this post is yet to be written.
>>
>>45391025
I have no idea "epic high-flying role-playing game" just makes me cringe every time I see it.
>>
>>45394843
I've been using that one, actually! Helped keep our Craft-guy, who was a player new to the system, from having to deal with bean-counting on top of a system he was already unfamiliar with.
>>
File: best alchemical.png (1 MB, 996x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
best alchemical.png
1 MB, 996x500
Ever played an Alchemicals game?
>>
>>45391025
Put the entire thing in a ridiculous brit bong slang
>>
>>45397540
Eh, it's kinda florid but so's the whole game.


>>45399757
This is a suggestion I can get behind. Let's hurry before this thread gets archived:

>Wot's Exalted?
An ace high-flying role-playing game about stonkin' god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start 'ere:

>That's proper blinding, mate, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: It'll get you well familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gawd I'm chuffed now. How do I find a knees up?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

>Pip pip!
>>
>>45377447

>our system is shit, so please dont use it!

Fuck this game
>>
>>45378105

There is. Integrated Aresnal system allows you to make SMG's.

The mutation package lets you turn into a bike if you can fluff it.
>>
>>45402241
But anon, the combat system isn't shit. There are things about Ex3 mechanics that are shit - Craft and certain boring dice trick Charms, at the very least - but the combat system isn't one of them. It just happens to be the combat system, designed for combat, not the generally-shanking-people system designed for killing people who really aren't in a position to put ip a combat. And besides, "make an Attribute+Ability roll" against the appropriate difficulty" *is* a system, so, you're basically complaining about the game saying "Don't use this specialized subsystem in situations it isn't meant for, instead use this simpler and more appropriate system".
>>
>>45402241
>Fuck this game
That "mighty Dawn Caste warrior wielding a formidable artifact weapon" is going to beat that "inexperienced sentry" one hundred percent of the time, without expending any resources, regardless of the combat system.

It'd be a waste of playing out the results of the combat, regardless of the combat system.

You'd be better off deciding how quietly the dawn defeats the sentry with a single roll (and do note, the roll is only to determine how quietly) rather than playing it out, regardless of the combat system.

This is not something unique to Exalted, either. For example, a level 1 character in any edition of Dungeons and Dragons can step on and kill ant (assuming a typical ant with no template) without rolling initiative, as well. It's the same principle here.
>>
Do you have to explain what your charms do when you use them out of character?

Like, is the meta of what going on is clear to all the players involved as well as the characters too?
>>
>>45403564

The system is assumed to be transparent to players by default. Like, you can get away with telling them that there's a nasty curse dripping off the Raksha's blade as he goes to strike, but you can't just say "The Raksha takes a swing." "Okay... looks like he hits, I'll have to tank it." and then go "AH HA HA, NOW YOU'RE A FUCKIN' FROG, DIPSHIT."

Characters, however, aren't necessarily aware of everything that's happening in the same sense. Without a relevant roll, he might not even consciously recognize the curse; but his player is allowed to know it's there so he can make an informed decision on Charm use.
>>
>>45404047
>"The Raksha takes a swing." "Okay... looks like he hits, I'll have to tank it." and then go "AH HA HA, NOW YOU'RE A FUCKIN' FROG, DIPSHIT."
Well, he might have a charm he can reflexively activate after landing a hit.
>>
>>45404386

True, and in that case transparency doesn't apply, except insofar as the player knows that it's (say) a curse, and not a poison or a disease, again so he can activate the right Charms.
>>
>>45404047
>>45404386
>>45404633

So transparency is there. As in "If I touch you with x charm activated, bad stuff happens. This is poison and works on inhalation" etc? If that is the case, fair enough.
>>
>>45404918
Yeah, the explanation from a more meta-level is that, if you have charms you can spend motes on to resist poison, the GM has to let you know you're being poisoned so you can spend the motes to resist it. Otherwise, every single defensive charm is essentially useless unless purely passive.

The more IC explanation is that you have something of an intuition to more or less figure out what the foe is attempting; whether or not they're skilled enough to make it work is what matters. Your character may not know the blade is poisoned consciously, but subconsciously his deific physique is working hard to neutralize every micro-gram of deadly material.
>>
>>45395719
I was in a hurry and left without realising it was not finished.

This is the best possible way things could have played out all things considered.

I'll let everyone come up with how Mnemon could potentially end up writing the original Broken Winged Crane! If you've got good ideas I'll be glad to hear them.
>>
If Primordials, at their core, embody a concept...

What about the primordial of [Insert Indefinite Pronouns]? Basically, "fuck you, I'm rewriting my statistics to read however I want. Nyah, nyah!"

Is that a viable concept?
>>
>>45394600

Yeah, but Solars can learn those charms REALLY, REALLY fast. Like, the characters have only been Solars for less than a year, right?

I assume these would be Solars with decades to centuries of experience under their belt. They'd literally be good at EVERYTHING. No human could possibly match that. In fact, no human could even resist being mind-whammied for a substantial amount of time.

I know it hurts your democratic sensibilities, but mortals cannot rule. If it were only mortals, they'd still live until the dominion of the Primoridals, or the tyranny of Gods. Creation is hands-down fucked without Exalted rulers.
>>
>>45406474
>If Primordials, at their core, embody a concept...
False premise. Primordials have central themes, but SWL is no more the embodiment of "order" than she's the embodiment of fire or glass.

>What about the primordial of [Insert Indefinite Pronouns]? Basically, "fuck you, I'm rewriting my statistics to read however I want. Nyah, nyah!"
Such a being would never become a Primordial in the first place. That's called a Raksha, and their nature is antithetical to the Titans.

For a Primordial to change, it has to maim itself.
>>
>>45406474

Not really. He still has to stand for something, because the whole point of Primoridals is that they're points of solidity in the infinite chaos of the Wyld.

Sure, a Primoridal could represent the principle of Entropy, or how a situation tends to spin out of control. In 2E, his Excellencies could be "Gain dice when performing spontaneous actions (Like just deciding to haul off and someone), undermining order, or unleashing chaotic and uncontrolled attacks." In contrast, his flaw would be that it doesn't work when trying to do something tightly disciplined. You can use his Excellency for War when leading a horde of half-crazed berserkers, but not a proper army.
>>
File: 1402560815700.png (34 KB, 275x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402560815700.png
34 KB, 275x200
>>45406542
Please read his post again. Then, and I know it hurts, try to use your brain. Please note that at literally no point in his post does he talk about mortals ruling.
>>
>>45406740

Yeah, I think I misread that. But the issue is, it's still 'rule by Exalted'. And who has the best Charms? Solars, hands-down.
>>
>>45407049

They have the best-at-being-human Charms.

Being a human is a terrible way to rule things. All being an awesome human does is make you more awesomely terrible at leading things.
>>
>>45406690
It doesn't have to maim itself, it has to grow, which is equally painful because titans are normally static and narrow-minded. Autochthon gained the ability to learn, then promptly entered a coma.

>>45407049
The Guild rules. Its membership is largely human, but it's still a power to rival the Scarlet Empire in the current era. If you could find a way to make the Guild even more powerful, who knows what would happen.
>>
>>45394821

View source on that page. There's an array right up the top which contains two numbers per mode of travel. The first is the speed in mph. The second is the number of hours per day the vehicle is assumed to travel.
>>
>>45394821
The obsession over groups of five fails for an awful lot, though. Alchemical and Lunar Castes, days in a week, weeks in a month, months in a season... the only mention of a twenty-five hour day was in Autochthonia back in Time of Tumult, but then Autochthon got his own elements, so it doesn't necessarily make sense that it should continue, even for Creation (which has five elements and the sun, moon, and stars as players, so at least eight things to deal with, or four if you put the elements into one category)... tl;dr groups of five in Exalted are vastly exaggerated in cosmic importance.
>>
>>45406690
>>45406703
I'm trying for something akin to a combination between Oramus' good/evil twin, an Aswadim (MtAw), and Azathoth/Nyarlathotep. In personally it's intended to be a deranged cross between Genie (Aladdin), Discord (MLP), GIR, and Patrick Star. The idea is that it essentially represents the recognition that order is necessary for chaos to be defined as something (the modern concept of randomness and possibility) rather than nothing (the ancient greek concept). It sits on the middle of the scale between the unsurvivable extremes of order (only one possibility exists) and chaos (every possibility is exhausted) and recognizes the importance of maintaining it but unlike say Elric's Grey Lords of Balance it doesn't feel particularly responsible for said maintenance. The other primordials don't like it because it's too whimsical ("we should overthrow Theion and put the magic conch in charge, it will be totally awesome unless you're weaklings") and the raksha don't like it because it's too contrary ("you can't destroy Creation, that's where I keep the stuff I refuse to throw out! what did it ever do to you?").

But in game rules that's difficult to quantify satisfactorily, so I would think the best way to represent that is: "Excellency: you may buy any excellencies."
>>
>>45408561
>and the raksha don't like it because it's too contrary ("you can't destroy Creation, that's where I keep the stuff I refuse to throw out! what did it ever do to you?").

Literally impossible. Raksha LOVE contradiction. Hell, there are Raksha with that exact position. Raksha who love Creation with the same seething hatred they feel at its very existence.

tl;dr: Your primordial of LOLRANDUMB XD is, at best, a lazily-written Raksha, and certainly not a Titan.
>>
>>45407520

Apparently Primoridals canonically cannot learn martial arts either.
>>
>>45408746
>tl;dr: Your primordial of LOLRANDUMB XD is, at best, a lazily-written Raksha, and certainly not a Titan.

This. It's silly, and not in a good way. There is basically no point to the primordial beyond "LOL CHAOS".
>>
>>45408461
It's important for anything related to the seasons or time in general because of the five maidens/elements/castes. Days had 5 sets of 5 hours for the five castes of the sun (associated with different times of day), weeks had five Maiden days (like Saturnday) and a sixth and seventh day for the Sun and Moon, and the year had one season per element, because the elemental poles dominate the natural order of the world.

It's not that five dominates, it's that the elements and Incarnae are symbolically relevant in celestial things, like days and the seasons.

Also, Lunars only having three castes is consisted a 'broken' state for them to be in.
>>
>>45408746
This. In 2e at least, there was actually a faction of Raksha whose goal was to defend Creation for no particular reason.
>>
>>45409021
>>45408746
>>45407520
Okay, let me pick a different approach...

So Primordials have difficulty changing because it's horribly painful or requires surgery (?). 3rd circle devas or princes (?) are the primordials' equivalent to intimacies/other statistics (?), but unlike normal characters these statistics are characters in their own right (?) with their own statistics that are also characters (?). Altering the devas is a way to alter their primordial (?).

So what about a primordial with an arbitrarily high number of princes and fetiches of dizzying varieties?
>>
>>45409234
>Also, Lunars only having three castes is consisted a 'broken' state for them to be in.
But in the edition where Lunars don't (yet?) suck, it's supposed to be a deliberate upgrade to make themselves more flexible.

I think the sacrificed the extra castes to get more favored attributes. The Solars should follow their example. It's not like Eclipse is a real phase of the sun anyway...
Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 32
Thread DB ID: 510949



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.