[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This GM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

Let's reverse the classic bitching about awful GMs we all had in our experience and instead post all the good ones, that went the extra mile to make their games great, both in and out of character.
>>
>>45323015
Best GM I've ever had
>Campaigns always prepared in advance, but with miriads of scenarios and possibilities, giving complete free will while being ready for literally everything
>Story is tailored for the players, instead of expectations about their characters, avoiding the dreaded "but your character should have reacted like that" mess when less skilled players are involved
>Always went to great lenghts to ensure everyone had always enough free time to play and the game day was suitable for everyone
>Always have complete set of notes and always remember where to search for old facts
>Always fresh supply of stationery supplies for everyone
>Uses a whiteboard instead of scribbling on some small piece of paper to present situation during combat
>Is no actor, but still delivers as various NPCs without coming out cheesy, simply by making them distinctive characters instead of one-dimensional placeholders
>If weather allows, organises the game in some interesting local site or outright makes a picnic
>Game starting in the morning: makes break always half past noon, with fresh pastry and coffee for everyone
>Game time in the evening: dinner for everyone and can actually cook

Shame he moved out for better-paying job on the other half of the country.
>>
File: Want.gif (3KB, 186x98px) Image search: [Google]
Want.gif
3KB, 186x98px
>>45323035
I would have moved with him holy shit
>>
>>45323035
>cooks
>cleans
>gives plenty if attention
>takes you to new places each week

Sounds pretty romantic
>>
>>45323035
>Uses a whiteboard
Sorry not every GM is made of money
>>
>>45323499
I'd fuck him for that sort of experience.
>>
>>45323555
I'd fuck him
>>
File: GM's impossible dream.gif (3MB, 380x197px) Image search: [Google]
GM's impossible dream.gif
3MB, 380x197px
My Shadowrun GM's pretty great. He's always able to pull out all sorts of creative ideas each session, and even though we're theoretically going pretty black tie, he allows plenty of silliness and pink mohawk stuff. He's able to make a tough fight feel like a really tough fight and impress us with how serious a situation can be (holy fuck Lofwyr might be watching our opera!), and seems to appreciate creativity from our side.

The only flaw he really has is that every character sounds like they're from New York. Which is a bit odd when we're in Hong Kong, but what are you gonna do?
>>
>>45323521
>Whiteboard
>Made of money
Um... You are aware that average whiteboard for kids costs less than the set of 4 pens to write on it, right?
>>
>>45323015

My This GM has been on a bit of a hiatus, but above all, he really made you care about the fictional world. When we screwed up, and NPCs died, it would really crush you. Motivations were often in things like approval from fake people, even more so than money or power. He's the only GM I've ever had where we had a party voluntarily give up money and positions of power to help an in-game abstraction; the government of a little valley community, keep away from civil war.
>>
>>45323521
If he's doing it at a college, whiteboards are in every other room.
>>
>>45323608
That fucking bird is 12x smarter than my players
>>
>>45323035
Is he in need of wife and/or a man who is willing to get hormone injections to be the wife?
>>
>>45323645
>he really made you care about the fictional world.

This is the reason I enjoy gming. So satisfying when it happens.
>>
>>45323015

>commutes to game
>brings movies to watch afterwards
>takes the train home after movie

good guy
>>
>>45323968
>takes the train home after movie
why does his mode of transport matter?
>>
> The group is trying out a new P&P RPG: Talislanta (French game I think)
> Talislanta has a system so that player can craft their own spells live during the combats
> I build a Muse character (very weak but magically strong)
> GM is learning the rules at the same time as us
> We start in a tropical area
> We get attacked by a murder of parrots
> One beak attack on my Muse
> Death
> GM is surprised, reread the rules, acknowledges he fucked up
> "Those are 'Sprotch' Parrots," he improvises. "Run you fools."
> Our first levels are us fighting über-parrots to help locals while seeking for an artefact in pseudo-aztec ruins
> My muse remained dead

> One game had a rulethat every player had to made the worst puns possible
> GM offered one beer per awesome puns

> If the session had less than 20% of the time spent laughing our ass off, our GM was sick or a reptilian doppleganger

Fun time
>>
>>45324089
I think he's going for ' doesn't make people drive him home', some people seem to actively try to be a burden, including inviting themselves to games despite living 45 minutes away and needing to bum a ride.
>>
>>45324089
Because you don't have to drive him back/collect money as a group for his taxi.
Had too many GMs who did that to appreciate now when they commute/have their own car
>>
This here is a thank you note to my buddy Eddie.

Thanks dude for always being keen to run a game, or play if someone else wants to run.
Thanks for always playing a character (as opposed to a character sheet) during the games which I run.
Thanks for always having encounters prepared as well as an endless well of potential plot hooks.
Thanks for being attentive, always having copies of the character sheets and keeping an eye on bonuses and maluses.
I appreciate your ability to keep on trying to keep a game on track and to keep everyone focused even past where I would have stopped.
I like the variety of your npc's but I rather think you should have more female npc's. Shake it up a bit, bud. Not everything has to be the wise king or the handsome prince. Not every princess needs rescuing.
I am happy that you are patient with the more trying people that we know. I have not been nearly so patient with them.
Thanks for having a good sense of humor, and for being free to laugh.
Cheers Eddie, you're a good gm and I'm happy to play games with you.
>>
File: bf8.jpg (40KB, 358x310px) Image search: [Google]
bf8.jpg
40KB, 358x310px
>>45324363
>All this crap
>Wait, what?!
>Blog post
Oooooh...
>>
>played a simple farmer who was conscripted
>good at fighting, starts adventuring
>has wife and young daughter at home
>sends letters home anytime he's in a city, tells them where he'll be
>3 sessions in, GM hands me a folded up piece of paper
>had his 5 year old niece draw him a picture of my character fighting a dragon
>attached was a letter from his wife, telling how much they loved him
>apprehension.jpeg
>continue to receive pictures and letters throughout campaign
>we defeat the BBEG, char goes home and buys a villa with his immense wealth and basically lives happily ever after as one of the Great Heroes
I've honestly never been so immersed in a character and it took just a little thought. I totally expected him to kill my family and make me swear revenge, but it just turned out to be a neat little bow on a pretty awesome campaign. GM was a total bro, I miss his games.
>>
>>45325032
>had his 5 year old niece draw him a picture of my character fighting a dragon

You should give that girl some candy or something for making your game so nice.
>>
>Turns out people don't have their versions of This GM
Kind of sad
>>
Perma GM so how about These Players?

Have a couple friends who want to try D&D
>Ask me if I'd be willing to run it for them instead of just 'Hey you play those games run one for us'
>Actually read through the rulebook pdfs I send them
>Actually write up stories for their characters, even as first timers.
>Actually learn the system pretty well
>Actually learn to play their characters pretty well
>When I arrive, because it's in a city an hours drive from my place (I can't drive) the host insists I crash for the night, full on guest room shit
>Order pizza and booze, insist I don't pay for taking the time and spending the money to come out even though I was just happy to spend time with friends.
>One guy loses his character, does not have a bitch fit
>They eventually start trying to come up with silly mechanics for spells, including the red dragonborn trying to light a campfire by sitting in some firewood and then throwing a rock at the nearby tiefling warlock for Hellish Rebuke.
>Gave me genuine feedback post game on things that they'd have liked to see more of in game or from me, always a chance to learn.
>Were understanding when I said I needed 10-15 minutes to figure out what to do after things went crazy quick.

I miss those guys.
>>
>>45328679
> Hellish Rebuke

Gave me a heartwarming, audible chuckle from how adorable that is.
>>
>>45328840
There was also this time I was babysitting, usually when these kids were over I used to read them a chapter of The Hobbit, I decided to try something a little different though, basically ran a game for the two kids, 3 and 4 years old, in complete narrative format, they told me what they wanted to do and I told them what happened.

>They find a small old shack
>There's some cows outside, a man crying on the porch
>Ask him what's wrong
>Explains that the giant in the mountains had been stealing his cows, he needs them.
>Kids tell him that it will be okay, then tell him to take his cows into the shack, put them in front of the fireplace, give them a blanket and some hot chocolate.
>They go to castle
>Find the giant and the cows unharmed
>They go and ask the giant why he stole the cows
>Explains he's lonely and wanted company
>Kids go back to the cattle farmer, explain, they resolve the situation by convincing the giant to let the farmer and his cows all live in the castle with him
>They lived happily ever after

It was beyond adorable. TFW 90% of players I know would probably have just butchered everything.
>>
>>45328679

"Ironscale, what are you doing?"

"Lighting the campfire."

"Lighting the campfire?"

"Yes."

"It looks like you're throwing rocks at Xalvath."

"Yes."

"...Can you tell me why you're throwing rocks at Xalvath?"

"Simple. Hit him with rock, he uses devil powers, devil powers light campfire."

"And he's okay with this?"

"Yes."

"...And you're not using your own fire breath because..."

"Fire breath might hurt Xalvath. Rock much safer."
>>
>>45329088
You're actually pretty much right on the money
>>
Had one GM throw a colossal Mimic disguised as a warehouse at us.

a Werehouse.
>>
My DM was always pretty professional, tonnes of world building, good preparation, minimal railroading (terrible at accents but no one's perfect) but towards the end of the campaign he pretty much pulled out all the stops

>Campaign has been building to a giant war the entire time, every session is pretty much us doing prep work/guerilla warfare to ready our kingdom for it
>For weeks he's been discussing with me how to do it (I was co DM and subbed in occasionally). Still I didn't appreciate the scope of what he was going to do on the day
>Day finally comes for the big battle. He prints out a larger map of the Sword Coast and bought a bunch of dowels and little stands and prints out little vinyl banners for each member of the party
>"Okay so the way this system will work, is that each of you are essentially a leader of a unit and the goal is to prevent the enemy army from reaching Neverwinter city."
>Massive battle takes place. In place of a lot of our spells and abilities, we instead get "Army commands" and "NPC actions." Army commands are essentially our character sending in a squad of soldiers appropriate for them (the wizard got spellcasters, the warlord got elite knights) to achieve a certain effect. All these units were based off the prep work we'd been doing for the past year or so of sessions
>DM created a special "NPC action" for every friendly NPC we had met so far and gave them a special one-time use only ability in place of our dailies (it was 4e) so that we could call upon the bros we had made in our time of need
>Battle goes on for hours, everyone's fucking loving it. The guy who's house we did it in even had a riding crop which we used to push our little stands around like army generals. Shit was cash.
>Pic related is one portion of the battle. Got pretty messy at some points but still fun as hell.
>>
>>45329057
Most adult players would have surely just killed the giant and then raided his lair after taking the cows back.
>>
>>45323035

>Campaigns always prepared in advance, but with miriads of scenarios and possibilities, giving complete free will while being ready for literally everything

It would be nice but I've done this several times for my players, and they demand me to put a carrot on a stick. it kills me

>Story is tailored for the players, instead of expectations about their characters, avoiding the dreaded "but your character should have reacted like that" mess when less skilled players are involved

that's cool I do that

>Always went to great lenghts to ensure everyone had always enough free time to play and the game day was suitable for everyone
>Always have complete set of notes and always remember where to search for old facts
>Always fresh supply of stationery supplies for everyone
>Uses a whiteboard instead of scribbling on some small piece of paper to present situation during combat
>Is no actor, but still delivers as various NPCs without coming out cheesy, simply by making them distinctive characters instead of one-dimensional placeholders
>If weather allows, organises the game in some interesting local site or outright makes a picnic
>Game starting in the morning: makes break always half past noon, with fresh pastry and coffee for everyone
>Game time in the evening: dinner for everyone and can actually cook

Really nice guy. Hopefully you guys were nice back.
>>
>>45323015
I am still questing for the good Gm, I know he's out there, somewhere, waiting for me to find him.
>>
File: believe_in_yourself.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
believe_in_yourself.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>45333733

Maybe it's you.
>>
>>45334377
OH SHIT!!!! someone archive this.
>>
>>45333733
This is the first step to self-acceptance and becoming a perma GM
>>
File: 1454774809466.jpg (23KB, 499x430px) Image search: [Google]
1454774809466.jpg
23KB, 499x430px
>>45334766
>>
>Rips off almost all his scenarios from some book, film or play
>Still manages to spin them into something creative
>Always inform in the end what was the original source
>Literally NEVER picked something we knew before the game
I mean from one side it's so fucking uncreative it's insulting, but at least "his" scenarios are consitient and we can always compare with the original. I'm glad I've learned about Ravenous thanks to this guy.
>>
>group being fans of darksouls , elder scrolls and the recent exanima (some of us even go sparring every few weeks)
>DnD doesnt give much realism in mechanics
>DM tailors us an own gaming system because he is interested in the idea
>this is going on for a year now , something new added almost every week
>sandbox-y campains but with prominent plotlines
>he counts the days of the journey , while "untouched" plotlines progress by themselfes
>combat is hard but rewarding , instead of dungeon crawling , we have one or two big fights per session
>he made an own excell file for new players so that they can calculate and manage inventory and character properties
>heavy focus on roleplaying outside of combat , checks for diplomacy and such are only there to modify your own ability
>provides a good portion of dice by himself
>he still looses his patience fast if you ask him the same thing more than twice
>pretty much remembers all events of the campain since day 1 by himself
>instead of 2-axis alignment systems (he hates that stuff), he can flag a character with personality points (f.e. greed , altruism , mercylessness , etc)
>>
>>45335295
>Ravenous
My african american companion
>>
File: Jones.png (208KB, 608x256px) Image search: [Google]
Jones.png
208KB, 608x256px
>>45335552
>... with his servant, Jones.
>>
File: LOw5roo.png (45KB, 272x273px) Image search: [Google]
LOw5roo.png
45KB, 272x273px
>>45335637
>That giddy music slowly turning more and more grim the further they are in their journey
Fucking perfect
>>
>>45323015
Itt things that never happened
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>45336230
>He never had a good GM
>>
Our GM likes to pull nice little flourishes like a couple of goofy road wardens having a theme song. Adds a lot of life to the game.
>>
>>45323630
That's the joke.
>>
>>45323015
>Two years ago
>Me, my GM and a few players are talking over dinner
>Start coming up with character concepts that would raise a red flag to other groups, but actually miht be good ideas
>DM shrugs and says if we want to try it we can
>I do, and that character is still being played and my favorite character to play
Thanks for legitimizing my fetish
>>
File: here's to you lu.jpg (168KB, 1261x801px) Image search: [Google]
here's to you lu.jpg
168KB, 1261x801px
Posting elf-bro
>>
>>45336363
>Tells of an awesoem character who is awesome against all odds.
>Doesn't elaborate.
Don't be THAT Anon, anon.
>>
>>45331252

An empty giant lair should not be left unguarded if you wish to have the lion's share of loot. It's a much better idea to take everything you're able and use the cows as pack mules to unload the spoils in town before returning them to the farmer.
>>
>>45336366
I'm not sure I like that GM.
A tear-jerker of such magnitude count as fucking sucker punch in my book, like dead children or tortured little animals in movies. You just don't do stuff like that.
>>
>>45336402
A lesbian anthro woldgirl who is on a quest to win back her former love. Has borderline personality disorder (like me), and has the flaw of not being able to let any misfortune go. It's a real blast playing her, especially for the catharsis factor. But I wanted to play a character with mental illness, and her journey is about the climb out of a pit of depression and the eventual ability to live normally
>>
>>45336445
Why return them?
>>
>>45331071
That's fucking amazing. I'm DMing atm, with shit building up to a planar invasion, might have to steal this idea.
>>
File: baww.png (90KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
baww.png
90KB, 400x319px
>>45336366
I'M NOT CRYING. SOMEONE THREW WATER AT MY FACE.
>>
>Pre-campaign, GM encourages us to flesh out the families of our characters
>Do that, with a little family tree and some general character notes
>First two sessions at character's home, GM really runs with it and creates some fun interaction between the party and family members
>Actually kind of bond with them
>Actual adventure commences, family out of the picture for the time being
>Things draw to a close, the great final battle is coming up
>Looking to be a big goddamn massacre where no clear outcome can be predicted
>All party members have some time to chill and interact with their family members at the base camp
>My character's little brother comes up, tells me he's going to take part in the battle
>Don't have any way to refuse or forbid him
>Never been this anxious about an upcoming fight.
>>
>>45323015
>Well, he's been able to run a game for nearly 4 years now and it currently has 48 players.
>While running more games on the side.
>He uses a more Dark Souls style approach to lore, letting us piece it together from the clues we get from the environment.
>Some really imaginative ideas. Such as sentient sounds and a kind of magic that relies on performing complex, seemingly arbitrary numerical calculations.
>This: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/llsh00sgxtfes77/AAD3qL0_FjtbKOtbOLklH3h6a/World%20beyond/Deadlands%20swamp/areas.txt?dl=0
>No railroading, the PCs have a definite impact on the world. In the 4 year old game, we've accidentally killed a massive portion of the human race and rendered the dominant form of magic too unstable to use.
>He makes generators for other people to use in their own games. And has created a few game systems of his own.
>>
>>45329088
top kek
>>
>>45336909
Was little brother kill?
>>
>>45337119
Don't know yet, the game is still ongoing and the actual battle has only just started. Hence the anxiety.
>>
>>45337150
Shit son. Hope it goes well.
>>
>>45337150
Fingers crossed, anon!
>>
File: original.jpg (1MB, 3234x2748px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
1MB, 3234x2748px
>>45323015

I just gotta say, that dude's carry form is awful. Though, since his patient can apparently levitate, maybe it's fine.
>>
>>45336909
I need to steal that for my next campaign. Let us know what happens to little soldier brother yo!
>>
>>45337150
Kill him first, keep him innocent forever
>>
>>45323727
>>45323608
The players would ether pick the thing up and tilt it so the treat would fall out or miss the big stick and waste how ever much time trying to get it out with the small stick
>>
>>45337500
The medic quickly dashed under his floating compatriot to foil the war paparazzi's shot.

Can't leak military secrets, man.
>>
>>45337150
http://youtu.be/RQaKsgMiSxA
I hope for the best for both of you. Take them down, you both.
>>
>>45323035
...Anon, do you suffer from hallucinations? Only I'm pretty sure that your GM didn't exist. I'm sorry.
>>
>>45337500
Don't blame me for artistic reinterpretation of "combat medic", I'm not the one who did that cover for the game.
>>
>>45323645
>care about the world
How does a GM do this? I aspire to do something like that and just can't find the trick. How did he do it?
>>
>>45338125
Not the anon, but perma GM anyway.
The best way to get invested with the world it by creating it from a scratch in general and then keep filling details as the game progress and more and more campaigns are played. Players' imput also helps.
I couldn't care less about worlds straight from the book, but when you are creating entire region and then expand over it and then more and more, it's pretty much your own creation, so you simply grow attatched to it.
>>
>>45331071
Could you give an example of an NPC Action? that shit sounds cool af
>>
>>45338155
My bad, I meant how do I make my players attached to my world, I'm already pretty attached myself.
>>
>>45330708
Goddamnit, under-rated post.
>>
>>45338125
An important part is establishing some kind of connection between the players and the world. Something that puts the world into context for them, gives them a stake in its situation. A home, a shared business/base, a family, some friends.

Basically the worst thing for setting immersion is when your party is just a vagabonding group of murderhobos kind of floating through the setting, only doing stuff because they can.
>>
I'm almost a forever GM, and it makes me feel sad knowing I'll probably never be a This GM because my IRL situation prevents me from having a really great group. I have my group of close friends that are also divided into two sort of sub groups of three; each group has two good players and a shitty player, and the most of the good ones are really, really unreliable for scheduling. Thus, I've never had a game run consistently or for more than 4ish sessions. I even tried to run a prewritten short adventure and half the group decided two sessions in that the preset time no longer worked for them, and that I had to change it.

>>45329088
Rare kek
>>
>>45323015
> NPC cards prepared with the information specific PCs have about that NPC.
> Prepare cards with knowledge DCs on them and various results.
> PCs get to distribute information in-character instead of just letting the DM tell everyone what he knows and then re-tell in character.

Devil's in the details.
>>
>>45337733
My fucking feels, man...
>>
>>45330708
This is brilliant and I know I've heard that joke somewhere
>>
Best GM I've had so far had a few great moments and some generally good and brotastic habits.
>Runs Legend of Dragoon as a campaign, me & one other dude are only of 2 of 5 players who've played it.
>I'm the Dart analogue, but Doppelganger Barbarian/Crusader, and powergaming is allowed but not required.
>We go off-script session 1, DM rolls with it. Has some Monty Haul tendencies but also OP enemies so it balances out.
>I end up with insane sentient armor that gets in a fight with a sentient cloak shortly before everyone tells me to stop touching things. Fight results in transforming me into a half-celestial.
>This is after a huge siege where we all set up traps like Predator-style. We stopped the forces assaulting but the dragon they three at us trumped a lot. Our efforts were successful but heavy losses sustained.
>DM is totally upfront when he have us too much power/resources but makes an in-universe justification for the retain that brings is back down to reasonable. All parties feel satisfied and fair.
>End up fighting Lloyd in the arena, was supposed to be a cut-scene defeat of my PC in source material. He lets me roll it and FUCKING STELLAR luck allows me to actually defeat an undefeatable encounter. That's a good story all it's own.
>Later, DM rolls with it when crit-fail rules we were using made a boss monk punch his own head off in first round of combat. He is angry at the lost time he spent on the encounter but rolls with it and doesn't punish us for his dice, which he let fall where they may and rolled in full view.
>Always tough but fair, we constantly felt challenged/at risk, even introduced some riddle puzzles in dungeons that were enjoyable and without ass-pulls (with one forgivable exception)
>Even brought food to make occasionally, a grandma recipe called Zupa (basically a brothy soup made of potatoes, garlic and sausage. As a pro cook, 8.5/10, would nosh again.)
Zach, we miss you. Hope Indianapolis is treating you well.
>>
>>45348468
Wow, autocorrect fucked up a lot of words in my post. Well, the main points were gotten across. Also
>Campaign conclusion was adequately epic. Levels 5 to 22 were totally worth it.
>Still a close 2nd favorite character I've ever played, 1st was in a different campaign of his.
>Finishing campaign got my character Rose as a waifu, having spent most of the campaign romancing her as an npc.
>Lots of moments of my meathead trying to woo her and failing due to low knowledge. Like that time I gave her the same black rose strain that killed her family. She still finds me endearing for some reason.
Anyway, I have a lot of stories from that campaign that simply kicked ass. I'll admit I was a jerk on more than one occasion, but That Guy named his character Rakanishu (which should sound familiar to anyone whose played Diablo II. The goblins said it often) so I called him by a different name every time. Rocky Nice-Shoes was my favorite. Anyway, GM was bro.
>>
>>45335295
I do this constantly but my players are fairly ignorant so i get away with it constantly, 40k apocalypse now is my personal highlight
>>
>>45325480
He also should have given his wife candy too his dick
>>
>>45340419
I'm sort of in the same position in that while I really like my groups, you'll never see any of them saying anything positive about the game.

I like to think I'm pretty decent, but my one group has been with me so long that they just accept all the work I put in as a given, and my other group is made of alright guys, but getting them to actually care and be involved is near impossible.

So I'll forever be this guy who spends hours of my week writing, mapmaking, setting my games up, and doing character voices and improv stuff only to be met with "Eh. Yeah ok. Let's go to the dungeon I guess."
>>
>>45336839
Good luck man, it takes a lot of fucking work.

>>45338908
So for example we met and befriended a down on his luck pirate on the very first session and throughout the campaign he sorta became the party sidekick and he eventually through our shenanigans, gained control of a major pirate armada. His NPC action was that we could call in a coastal bombardment and pretty much obliterate an entire shore of enemy troops once.

Another is that we managed to impress this legendary retired general and his NPC action was that we could retcon a "plan" into battle once and claim he had the foresight to make such a trap. We used it to make a giant net that took down a bunch of enemies riding griffons.
>>
File: indispensible.jpg (89KB, 500x626px) Image search: [Google]
indispensible.jpg
89KB, 500x626px
>>45323035
I do not understand why not everyone uses these.

You can draw on them with dry-erase markers, or use permanent ones when preparing dungeons way ahead of time. Then you can clean off the permanent marker by drawing over it with dry-erase and wiping that shit off. There are practically no situations where these are a bad idea, and you can pick them up for less than 20$.
>>
>Uses whiteboard, chips and lots of other little things to help us keep track
>Freedom of choice up the wazoo, but is willing to give us common sense prods or in character knowledge to help us if we get stuck.
>Preps location/theme atmosphere music which isn't shit.
>Knows rules almost perfectly and remembers all the little things about our characters
>Fucking awful at accents
>World feels like it's happening around us instead of for us
>Always makes time for us around the week if we have questions
>Provides in world news that's not character centric but still makes us feel the weight of our actions
>Decent bloke out of game as well
>>
>>45352875
Do we have the same DM?
>>
>>45352699
>20$
What size it is for such sum? Half the wall? You can get a less space-eating one for a fiver. But true, those boards are absurdly useful
>>
>>45352699
Because some of us care about our games more than just a shitty whiteboard scribble.

Yes, I'm accusing everyone who doesn't make their maps in Photoshop and get them printed at 1" scale of being lazy and bad at DMing.
>>
>>45354470
>Printing maps
This got one, HUGE problem.
Turns your games linear, because there is highly limited number of maps that can be used and instead of full-on free will players can pick from 2-3 premade choices
>>
>>45352699

I might have a look.

At the moment I'm printing maps and using a clear plastic board with a grid sharpied onto one side. Works pretty well, though I could do with a bigger table.
>>
>>45354558
>Bigger table
This is probably the only bad thing about my GM. The table we are using for playing is 60x60 cm. With half-meter tall legs. It's too short to use chairs, but too high to sit on the floor. It's too small to contain everything, but not small enough to really buy him something bigger
>>
>>45337693

my players would probably torture the small stick to figure out what it knows. Actually, in the process of torturing the stick, they might start chipping away at it bit by bit (making it impossibl to fish out the larger stick). They really need to calm down with maiming things.
>>
>>45352537
Oh man, im actually sorta jealus. But thanks for telling me mate, gives me idead of what i myself can implement to my players
>>
>Comes with photocopies of important book pages for everyone for quick reference
>Own setting that is not Clicheland: Fantasy Edition
>Can maintain flow of action when the party splits
>Always having back-up plans and back-up plans for back-up plans
>When someone needs detailed description or doesn't understand him, makes a fast drawning of object, location or person in question
I mean his sketches alone are totally worth it.
>>
>>45328679
>Actually read through the rulebook pdfs I send them
Luxury.
>>
>>45330708
Stolen
>>
>>45357038
As a perma GM, I've got a strange streak of experience with this. Because in every single group I'm hosting with, it goes like this:
- one-two players read the book from cover to cover
- one-three players read the important bits of crunch
- single person who didn't even touch the pdfs nor books
And suprisingly enough, the non-reading person is usually the one which plays all the time, regardless of schelude or anything, so it's not like they are dropping.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.