[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>New game >Ask if I can be a druid that lacks wildshape

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 4

>New game
>Ask if I can be a druid that lacks wildshape and gets monk like AC and FE instead (to not outclass other party members)
>GM says ok
>Ask if I can be a man from the not-black continent and have an Ape as an animal companion (4th level character)
>GM says sure
>Ask him if isn't going to be disruptive, or a problem to have a large animal
>GM says not at all, it's like a horse for you
>Kay
>Suddenly nobody lets me enter in the town, dungeons are too small for it, etc
Ok, what's the problem with these people? why can't they tell you no, you can't or whatever? why all this passive agressive bullshit?
>>
>>45305679
Maybe you should stop being a greedy selfish little faggot and just play by the rules
>>
>>45305679
Oh and Apes are medium sized. So stop lying and making up muh stories. Fuck off
>>
>>45305679
Communication is key. He might be totally fine with it, but want to creative dilemmas in order to create content for his game.
>>
>>45305679
Sounds reasonably if people aren't used to that kind of creature and if it's size is large if makes sense. It's passive aggressive bullshit its the DM adding weaknesses to what you asked for. If you have a problem with it talk to him about and stop whining on 4chan.
>>
>>45306109
Create*.. not creative.
>>
>>45306129
*it's not
>>
>>45306085
>Apes are medium sized
You could have fooled me

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm
>>
>>45306129
>OP asks DM if it will cause problems
>DM says no
>DM makes it cause problems
>This is OP's fault somehow.3
Nice logic there.
>>
>not dressing the gorilla in people clothes and trying to bluff that hes your companion whos been cursed
>>
>dm has a obsession with taking all gear from party to drive his plot
>ask if I can use his hombrew feats that give unarmored bonus to AC
>says it sounds great
>ask if I can play healbot cleric because dont want to spend session time tracking down healing items in town/healing downtime
>says great
>ask if I can take feat to give me healing abilities by trading in turning attempts
>okays it
>6 games in, kills my character with a barrage of save or dies
>tells me to never make a character that overpowered again

Well fuck you too cunt.
>>
>>45306053
>>45306085
OP's GM detected

>>45310403
Never play in his games again.
>>
>>45307652

welcome to 4chan
>>
>>45307652
There has been a upswing in people who think that gms can do no wrong and that players are the cause of all problems.

How dare players expect a dm/gm to follow the rules of the game they all agreed upon and have the group agree on rule changes if necessary.
>>
>>45305679
>>GM says not at all, it's like a horse for you

Right.

>>Suddenly nobody lets me enter in the town, dungeons are too small for it, etc

WHAT, YOU MEAN LIKE A *HORSE* ???!!!
>>
>>45309982
i like this guys idea.

personally i would have gone with nothing but a birthday party hat.
>>
>>45310632
>people don't let horses into towns

u wot m8
>>
>>45310707

Stables brah. Most people didn't ride horses through the streets like people drive cars today. At worst all OP had to do was tie the Ape up outside the city walls and come back for it later. Or just tell it to chill for a while and have it climb the wall at night.
>>
I mean, you don't bring your horse into dungeons, right? And you leave your horse in the stable.

Honestly I've seen these problems before while GMing. Animal companions are a common enough class features that towns should see them occasionally. Most towns, as a result, will simply have you leave it in a stable and most towns of reasonable size will have stables for exotic creatures.

You can have it in town, but you will get odd looks. Especially if it's something like a bear, people will actively freak out if they see a bear even if it is currently not eating people.
>>
File: Farnsworth.jpg (59KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Farnsworth.jpg
59KB, 250x250px
>>45305679
>new game
>immediately game the system for unilateral benefit
>uh, okay
>do it again
>o-okay
>and again lol
>sure, why not
>and again cos fuck these assholes
>you got it snowflake
>it was all a ruse, fuck these assholes

"Projection: That psychological phenomenon where delusional people
believe that all others everywhere think and act as they do."
- SADD (Self Awareness Deficit Disorder)
>>
>>45305679

I once cheesed a dire bear animal companion and the dm tried to make it a thing. I just bowled over him and made it funny that the bear was in cities etc. He ended up having a funny bureaucrat try to question the bear instead of causing any actual problems.

Eventually something killed the bear and we got him reincarnated but we read it wrong and rolled and he came back as a human. A hairy dumb human barbarian with really good grappling. We bought him some gauntlets of punching and he joined the party.
>>
>>45309982
>That's no gorilla, that's my wife! How dare you speak to her that way!
>>
>>45312034
You must be his GM. Why else would someone ignore reason so hard?
>>
>>45312034
>trading anything from druid for monk is power gaming

Heh...hehehe...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>45312117
In fact, he could have picked that benefit up for 1 level in monk, and combined it with wildshape for kungfu bears.
>>
>>45305679
Honestly I think you were asking for too much. GM should have said no. But punishing you without warning for something he allowed is a dick move.
>>
How has no one realized you rolled Tarzan yet?
>>
>>45312172
That guy also ignored the fact that for one feat, he could have taken a better animal companion or counted as a 7th level druid for his current animal companion.

He also could have taken a feats that allowed him to trade wildshape actions for things like regeneration or +7 natural armor for rounds equal to his druid level.
>>
>>45312202
He really was not. He could have gone far more powerful by taking stuff straight out of the book and actually hamstrung himself in the future by trading his shape changing ability.
>>
>Horse can't enter dungeon

Well, OK. It's a 4 legged creature that weighs a thousand pounds and suited to long distance movements across mostly flat surfaces, just gonna be a big stumbling block in any corridor.

>Gorilla can't enter dungeons

Oh come the fuck on. Especially terrible if fighting any of the dozens of big brutes or small giants in D&D. Ogres alone.
>>
>>45311270
Yeah but people wouldn't tell you to stay the fuck out because you were seen riding a horse, which seems to be what OP is saying.
>>
>>45313037
What about the druid with a WOLF or BEAR?
>>
>>45313195
I see 2 things here

1) The average village, unless heavily defended, isn't gonna risk pissing him off

2) If you're going to apply that, Wizards, Fighters and pretty much most PCs should be told to stay the fuck out or be asked to check their weapons at the entrance to the village and I dont see most parties going along with that.
>>
>>45305679
Oh my, people are racist to someone from another country they've never seen before and who's built like a truck?
Giant goddamn Gorillas are hard to get into buildings?

I for one am shocked.
>>
>>45313383
In what way does it being hard to get into a building prevent it from following him down the street and, say, waiting outside the tavern?

You have a point about the racism thing, especially in a setting with bugbears but its still a dick move for the DM to go ''yeah, sure, no problem dude'' and then have a bunch of issues with it occur in game.

I mean, it'd be one thing with a warning given but if the DM literally told him there'd be no issues and then proceeded to produce in game issues then thats a dick move.
>>
>>45312297
True. Maybe that's just me since I don't like a lot of changes to classes. Of course, I usually play classless systems, but if I'm running a class based system I expect my players to use the classes otherwise I'll pull out GURPS or Fate.
>>
>Ogres, Trolls, Ettins, etc in dungeons
>"Sorry, Gorillas can't enter"
>>
File: 1451903812799.jpg (169KB, 910x815px) Image search: [Google]
1451903812799.jpg
169KB, 910x815px
>>45306053

But this IS a legit alternate druid.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid

>Druid
>The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a swift and deadly hunter.

>Gain
>Bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger).

>Lose
>Armor and shield proficiency, wild shape (all versions).
>>
>>45305679
>it's like a horse
>nobody will let me bring my horse into buildings and the horse won't go into dungeons
strangely enough I saw this coming
>>
>>45312083
>dumb human who was really good at grappling

Sounds like one of my PC's. Whenever I play a game with him I make sure to print out an extra copy of whatever we're playing at the time's grappling rules just because he's that predictable and I know that I'm going to have to reference them whenever he gets into a fight.
>>
>>45317307
>Into buildings
Reading comprehension much? he said town, not into buildings, and again >>45317239
>>
File: 1305180646978.jpg (14KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1305180646978.jpg
14KB, 240x200px
>buy a 10ft pole on my halfling
>DM says it's in the way when I try to hide in a barrel

Fucking DMs am I right?
>>
>>45317239
What if the ogres, trolls and ettins came in through a busted old wall that leads into a larger cave complex which itself has larger entrances than that of the dungeon?
>>
>>45317770
Can't you just drop the pole.

It's unlikely to be out of place.
>>
>>45317770
>Oh shit, is a stick next to a barrel, that can only mean someone is hiding!
Yeah, your GM seems like a retard
>>
>>45317770
Once had a GM that didn't even give me a stealth check, nor rolled a perception check to spot me. I was hiding in a cardboard box in a storage room, sitting up against the wall.

>NO-FUN-ALLOWED.jpg
>>
>>45317811
>>45317830
Well I suppose it could have been a barrel factory or something.

Although if you have time I would just break the pole into smaller pieces better a gold piece worth of equipment ruined then dead.
>>
>>45317785
I'm this guy >>45317239, and no, the dungeon didn't have any other entrance, not even hidden, long time ago destroyed, etc, literally had large and huge monsters who must be magically spawned there, but not magicians inside

Happened to me, not with a gorilla though, but with a dire wolf, he said corridors were too small (though three medium characters could walk next to each other without penalties and ogres and trolls too), same with my wildshape, and when asked explanations on why some large creatures could fit perfectly, and other with less weight/height couldn't he just told me "I don't have to explain myself, I'm the DM"
>>
>>45317882
Jesus Christ how horrible.
>>
>>45317882
>"I don't have to explain myself, I'm the DM"
If you're not making this up, that is pretty low.
>>
>>45312034
>immediately game the system for unilateral benefit
Are you implying wildshape is weaker than the existing druid variant with some monk powers?
>>
>>45317908
I wish I were making that up, first strike was when I asked him at the begining of the game what kind of game was it going to be to build a character who could fit in the setting, he didn't tell me shit, in the end I was playing tribal man nature lover in Eberron, in the end it made for a fish out of water comic relief character.
>>
>>45317770
10ft poles aren't typically always 10ft long, they're generally a few pieces that you screw together when you need it that long.
>>
>>45317934
>first strike was when I asked him at the begining of the game what kind of game was it going to be to build a character who could fit in the setting, he didn't tell me shit
Now, see, that should have been the ONLY strike.
>>
>>45317934
Ah, and I left pretty much after that session, the one with ogres and shit in a "tiny" dungeon, it was clear that the GM didn't like me or my character, made friends with the rest of players though and ended playing with them for some years
>>
>>45317958
This.

I have been a forever GM partly by choice, because most GMs I've met did this shit.

You need to tell your players what the fuck the game will be about. At the very least have a hook of some sort, a few sentences at the very most, that will give your players an idea of what the game will be about.
>>
>>45318030
>Playing 3.5
>Ask DM
>No info
>Roll TWF Rogue
>DM says cool
>Game only has elementals, oozes, constructs and undeads
Either this was the biggest coincidence ever or was premeditated...but it was a precon campaign so probably the former
>>
>>45318051
Did the same once. GM even helped me with my concept, which was a hyper aware ranger who could spot anything. It seemed workable, until it turned out that 99% of the pre-written campaigns all include some form of "fuck you, you don't notice his happening, and now you are surrounded by an army of super godlike stealth soldiers in heavy armour"

I mean, the first campaign was the Randal Mourn campaign from Forgotten Realms, where you get captured, and the LITERAL description of what happens is "as if materialising out of thin air, a large group of soldiers appear in front of you, and the roof tops starts bustling with several groups of archers armed with crossbows, that appear to have uncanny precision" which is apparently how people said "fuck you" back when it was first written.
>>
>>45318438
Thats a convoluted way of saying ''My DM was an utter cunt''

What edition was this, out of curiosity? Ive not seen one where it happens but Im half thinking of having it in my pocket to unleash on PCs that want some fuckery.
>>
>>45318438
The problem was that my rogue was literally useless in combat, I could have been a mouse and wouldn't even matter, and the lack of damage showed, also I spent 4 feats on a character for absolutely nothing, because, again, I did zero damage.
>>
>>45318569
2nd, I think. Might have been 3rd edition, but I can't honestly remember. We went through 2nd to 4th edition in like 1 year, so it kind of blurred together at some point.

And then we thankfully stopped playing DnD, not that the system has anything to do with it. Same shit happens all the time in pre-written scenarios, or maybe I just keep stumbling onto the bad ones by coincidence.

I just usually make shit up so my players have a chance of not bring railroaded too hard, even if it means derailing the pre-written scenario entirely.
>>
>>45318438
>make scout, both class and character concept
>have high as fuck hide/move silently/spot/hear
>have feats to improve that
>have feat that allows me to spot AND hear as a free action every turn
>average roll in any of those is like a 25 on a 5th level character
>ambushed in absolutely every encounter ever because precon game fucking throws monsters at you without allowing you to spot/hear/hide from them
I used to think it was the GM fucking us, then, when I left that hideous game, I read the precon game and realized it was both the GM (for following blindly the encounter without thinking if it made sense) and the game (for being awfully designed).
>>
>>45318581
Unless your acronym of TWF means something entirely different to what I am used to, I see absolutely no reason why your Rogue couldn't do damage based on your post alone.
>>
>>45318438
>>45318593
Grrrrr.
I remember when I was running through the Slaver series. At one point the DM said "OK, you've all been captured"
There was a collective shout of "BULLSHIT!"
DM goes on 'the module explains that it is an inescapable trap and that you are captured"
"BULLSHIT! Let's roleplay it!"
We beat the fucking 'inescapable trap' and slaughtered half the slavers' high level casters.
"They appear and you can't ever, in any way detect them"?
"This trap is completely undetectable"?
"You are captured, no matter what"?
Are all code for 'the moron who wrote this module should be fucking shot dead'
>>
>>45318606
>for following blindly the encounter without thinking if it made sense
As a primary GM, this is why I hate precons, because they teach new GMs that it is okay to just railroad the FUCK out of our players, and basically ignore any player agency that isn't combat, and even then, only let then do what isn't messing with your narrative.

It is understandable, because what can they do? A book is similar to a game, you cannot reasonably be expected to think of everything the players can do. But the GMs really need to know when to break away from the text and actually GM, rather than just read from a book and roll dice once in a while.
>>
>>45318621
Because Elementals, Oozes, Undeads and Constructs are Immune to precision damage AKA Sneak attack. They also have DR, lowest tends to be 5, enough to laugh at my short swords i(d6) and my 12 Str, because I thought I could deal Sneak Attack, so I made tons of attacks, with two weapon fighting, that dealt zero each one of them.

I also had improved feint and other feint feats to feint as a swift action, but against mindless creatures doesn't work.
>>
>>45318653
>Are all code for 'the moron who wrote this module should be fucking shot dead'
Like video games, the books are very limited in what they can predict in terms of player actions, so they sometimes have to make a "this is the only sensible option." choice.

Of course, the fact that the story REQUIRES the capture of players is completely retarded, and poses the question of why the fuck this guy was even doing writing a pre-written scenario in the first place.
>>
>>45318663
That's a problem with your weapons and low strength, which for a melee damage dealer is a pretty huge mistake on terms of character building.

Sure, it sucks not being able to backstab or feint, but a reasonable GM would allow you to switch out some of the feats that haven't even been used, and are unlikely to ever be used either.

Although the best answer to that is most likely just
>Haveyoutriednotplayingdnd.jpg
>>
>>45318699
You can't do more shit as a rogue in combat, they lack the profiencies in good weapons, their light armors and skills force them to have high Dex instead of high Str and a long, you can't even be archer due how SA works, etc. Put monsters immune to SA and you basically deny that class to be even remotely useful in combat, but yeah, that's D&D for you.
>>
>>45318699
>"That's a problem with your weapons and low strength"
>You should be playing a rogue with martial weapon profiencies and rolling high as fuck to have Str, Dex, Con and Cha high enough
Yeah, what a fag
>>
>>45318746
Reread the post mate.

The entire post.

Notice the last line?
>>
>Set up a game thats been delayed for months because people kept cancelling 2 days before hand
>Finally game night
>Hey DM can I play my broken powergaming(tm) homebrewed class that has the best of all classes? Also I start off with dualwielding greatswords without problems, I mean, I did start with 18 in all stats at lvl1 so I can do that
>Hey DM I want to play a whore, can I play a whore?
>Hey DM I kinda wanna play a druid that can't shapeshift, and instead of adding this interesting personality trait to my class I'd instead want to change the class completely and have a pet
>Oh a pet cool, I want a pet too
>Me too
>Everyone gets pets
>The fuck DM why are you throwing us challenges to overcome as a group, stop fucking with us
>Why is the game so hard DM? why can't I just charge in with my druid, who is also a monk and a ranger dualwielding 2 greatswords with 18 in all stats at lv1 and having 3 bonus actions per turn, also he can hear and see through walls
>>
>>45318802
Sounds like an average game of Anima.
>>
>>45318802
what are you trying to convey what that amount of words? it's hard to follow
>>
>>45318802
Animal Companion (Ex)

A druid may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.
>>
>>45318837
yes and?
>>
>buy about twelve javelins for a new character
>DM decides that I can only carry ten on my character at a time, but I could store the rest somewhere else

It's not the worst ruling I've ever had, especially since I could just make sure I never actually have more than ten and avoid a headache all together. But where the fuck else would I store those extra javelins? I don't exactly have an animal companion.
>>
>>45319717
buy a black female slave. Without hands of course.
>>
>>45320127
That makes no fucking sense. If they don't have hands, how would they hold javelins? And why female?
>>
>>45320242
1:you give them a backpack

2.to trigger as much people as possible
>>
>>45320242
also, they cant throw the spear at you without hands.
>>
>>45320250
>>45320269
Brilliant, really. Now they can't hand javelins to me if I need one quickly.

I'd be better off hiring an NPC.
>>
>Ask if I can be a man from the not-black continent and have an Ape as an animal companion (4th level character)

why was it so important to let your gm know you aren't playing a black man?
>>
>>45319717
have another party member hold them
>>
>playing a half ranger half monk with an ape friend
>not just playing an 8' tall ape monk that grapples everything

neither am I because its impossible to schedule anything, but I almost got to
>>
>>45320347
>why was it so important to let your gm know you aren't playing a black man?
Not him but it's always good to ask if your foreign PC fits in the setting, I know a lot of GMs who go mad and start screaming weeb if you play samurai in their medieval fantasy setting
>>
>>45320347
He was playing a black man. He was trying to say that his character was from the not!black continent, like how we used to call Africa the dark continent.
>>
>>45320458
>>45320501
oh ok that makes sense
>>
>>45305679
Maybe when you asked wether it would be a problem he thought you were just talking about the mechanical side of things, since it's kind of a given civilized people will react to a fucking gorilla chilling out in the city square
>>
>>45320562
In a world with wizard towers in almost every city, dragon raids every month and zombie infestations every tuesday I doubt civilized people will be surprised at a gorilla.

For fucks sake, wolves the size of a horse are supercommon, also fucking dinosaurs everywhere.
>>
>>45320616
The wolfhorses and the dinosaurs are not allowed to enter cities though, precisely because there's people working to make the wilderness stay in the wilderness
>>
>>45320643
>precisely because there's people working to make the wilderness stay in the wilderness
See the druid, I think people should give more credit to adventurers, specially the 4th+ level PCs kind
>>
>>45312246
You... I like you
>>
>Pick monk
>Try to optimize it to not suck
>GM thinks you're a powergamer and kicks you at
>There were a Cleric and a Druid in the party
>Druid had natural spell and fleshraker as animal companion and wildshape, cleric had divine metamagic
Fuck.This.Gay.Earth.
>>
>>45305679
>Ok, what's the problem with these people? why can't they tell you no, you can't or whatever? why all this passive agressive bullshit?
Why passive agressive? Big animals are big. This has nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>45306216
They're medium in 5e
>>
>>45322120
Druids don't have animal companions in 5e, neither can exchange wildshape for monk's AC and FE, so what's your point?
>>
>>45320664
Personally, I don't feel like druids would be as common as say, a fighter or a rouge, because they'd probably be both fewer in number, and less likely to actually go into towns, in general.

But, I agree that it's stupid to deny a druid to enter a reasonably developed town, as to have a guard or police-type force safeguarding its citizens.

At worst, it should be made to be tied up in a stall, like a horse, unless it was making death eyes at the entrance guards or was known to be violent.

They could have also role played around that, claiming they needed the gorilla as a, "seeing-eye companion," or something.
>>
>>45318438
Poor man
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.