[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 31
File: _qg.png (58 KB, 700x700) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
_qg.png
58 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/b5cN2RkK
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

> QM question

How do you convince people that your quests are actually brilliant?


> Player question

Why do you have such bad taste?
>>
>>45274638
>> QM question
They keep coming back, so I guess they must enjoy it
>>
>>45274638
>QM Question
I don't. I'm actually terrible at describing or pitching my own quest.
>>
>>45274677
>>45274724
The secret is that this is the same person!
>>
File: Untitled.png (86 KB, 1646x640) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Untitled.png
86 KB, 1646x640
>>45274861
No, but clearly one of us is OP
>>
File: Try again, anon.png (22 KB, 636x406) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Try again, anon.png
22 KB, 636x406
>>45274861
>>
>>45274886
Those are some nice Photoshop skills.
>>
>>45274876
>>45274886
>Less than 30 seconds apart
>Two separate timezones
... Plausible.
>>
>>45274899
And in the end, that's all we can ask for
>>
>>45259369
>>
Review anon's reviews when?
>>
>>45275801

First Post Quest
>>
>>45275945
Watch as I do something with my life. Like make a quest
>>
>>45275805
I guess you expected the lolrandumb stuff, heh.
>>
95% of QMS are white males

Agree/ disagree?
>>
>>45276020
More around 75%.
>>
>>45276020

As a lily-white male, agree.

97% of us also have our assholes sewn up.
>>
>>45276754
It's allright. The players shit on everything without help anyways.
>>
>>45276020
Yes, I see the problem.
We must acquire more of asian ladyboys to run quests for us.
>>
>>45276020
do we even have more than 20 QMs?
>>
>>45276548
Quest attempt
>>
>>45274638
>How do you convince people that your quests are actually brilliant?

Why would I? People look for the kind of quests they enjoy, so I just make it clear what kind of quest I intend to run. The people that enjoy it will find it, the others will ignore it. I think that's the main thing that causes some new quests to fail, the QM doesn't clearly indicate what's to be expected from the quest, so people will just ignore it and go read one that does fit their interests.
>>
Comfy slice-of-life and worldbuilding wank in a low-fantasy setting with the usual races, y/n?

What if there is a TWEEST on the races?
>>
>>45277129
Including quests that fail and one off QMS we easily have over 50.

But how many good QMS do we have?
>>
Repostin. What happened to Walzerweiss?
>>
>>45277279
>But how many good QMS do we have?
Again, fuck off with this bait question.
>>
>>45277286
was that the really slow one? nobody aside from me and one other anon voted, all within a short span of each other, so the thread kinda fell off.
>>
>>45277279

>But how many good QMS do we have?

Only me.
>>
>>45277354
His low player count was probably because he started a huge shitposting fight in a /wqdt/ right before starting his quest. No one was really willing to play.
>>
>How do you convince people that your quests are actually brilliant?
I don't try to convince because it only make me look desperate. Sadly some QM are quit blinded and believed that their Quest is masterpiece while in reality it is shit.

If people stop following your quest, it could mean that you are running it too long or people get tired or go in direction that anons don't like. It happen me too and I realise that if I want to continue as QM I will need to improve my grammar and running shorter quests.

That is part of QM life, sometime the quests run very short while other run very long.

>>45276020

I disagree, I expect that 60-70% are white guys while other is other ethnic. For my case I'm 50% white and 50% asian.

>>45277063

I know that you can find pretty ladyboys in Thailand... But I'm unsure if some are willing to run quest....
>>
>>45277372
Details?
>>
>>45277372
But he really didnt do anything. It was spontaneous feces combustion.

Thats kind of bullshit
>>
>>45277910
>>45277928
A combustion that he was the source of. I'm not blaming him or anything, but the whole at least 150+ posts Yuri-Female MC shitpost fest began from his post.
>>
>>45277904
>If people stop following your quest, it could mean that you are running it too long
Or you're running it too short and don't get enough in there to satisfy the players.
>>
>>45277948
I can't even say he was the source of it. It was the usual "It's monday, lets all find an excuse to shitpost marathon into auto-sage" event.

Granted, I think the reason his quest failed was because he just took too long to update and his premise was dull and didn't have enough of the numbers sufficiently filed off.
>>
>QM question

It is not. but i try my best.

>>>45278105
>>>45278105
well, we are back after quite some time. for those who want more XCOM, do come here.
>>
REVIEW ANON FUCKING WHERE
>>
>>45276020
disagree
>>
>>45278120
>>45278207
>keeping your trip on /wqdt/
Reported, filtered, and downvoted on suptg. Fuck off.
>>
>>45278188
What quest do you want reviewed so badly? He said he only reviews quests requested by their QMs
>>
>>45278232
oh sorry anon.
there are other who do it though, i thought it was alright to do so.
>>
>>45278248
others
>>
>>45278232
>>45278248

Trips on /wqdt/ is fine if they're actually related to the quest. Someone vomiting out their trip randomly when it's not relevant is where it becomes a problem.

It's totally relevant if you're posting your thread, or if someone asks a question *specifically* about your quest. If it's just a general QM question, that's when you leave your trip off.
>>
>>45278239
I just want to read more of them.
>>
>>45278270
right. sorry anon.
>>
>>45278270
So AMPM is confirmed attention whore for doing it AND arguing against it.
>>
>>45278343
AMPM is just plain terrible at not making a twat of himself with his trip on period.
>>
File: 09.jpg (83 KB, 627x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
09.jpg
83 KB, 627x500
Has there ever been a quest in the mount & blade setting?
>>
>>45278580
No, but the setting is totally pointless and nonsensical anyway.

Find a better way of having Vikings fighting Mongols fighting Arabs.
>>
>>45274638
hive queen quest returns when?
>>
>>45276020
A better question would be,

does it even matter?
>>
>>45278888
Quads demands it!
>>
>>45279041
Well its problematic
>>
>>45277237
No. Never. slice-of-life a shit. Go write your own romantic Choose Your Own Adventure novel, and leave us alone.
>>
>>45276020
That would require there to be 100 quest thread runners , because at least three QM's are female.
>>
>>45279097
Your opinion a shit.
>>
>>45279097
Since when does slice-of-life implies romance?
>>
File: lies.gif (1 MB, 260x180) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lies.gif
1 MB, 260x180
>>45279108
>because at least three QM's are female.
>>
>>45279108
But XS hasn't come back yet
>>
>>45279143
No, it's pretty well known that at least three of them are female, and of those at least two are dykes (oddly, only one writes yurishit).
>>
>>45279108
Who cares?
In the end we're all anons, your resident QM can be a sentient one-legged half-drunk lemur and nobody'd bat an eyelid.

In the end it's the writing itself that matters anyways.
>>
File: 1450614069094.jpg (83 KB, 850x638) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450614069094.jpg
83 KB, 850x638
>>45279195
Stop feeding other bullshit.
>>
>>45279230
Sentient one-legged half-drunk lemur quest when?
>>
>>45279230
The only real stretch is that he'd be only half-drunk.
>>
>Military Mage Quest
>QM says mages are valuable and are a force multiplier
>immediately treats them like Red Army conscripts in an operation

I don't fucking even.
>>
Test
>>
>>45277967

That too, but I can understand why they are running short. Either they get mental tired from running quest or lacking free time.
>>
I'm pretty novice at running quests but I want to do one that features some combat. And the players can chose the MC to be a robot or a dinosaur, I want the two to be a little different mechanically.

Any tips on the combat side? Any suggestions on how I could do the MC?
>>
So am I going insane or did I see rumors about GraveQM and QuestDrone doing crossovers between DASQ and HQQ?
>>
>>45279519
Stop posting with your trip. Stop being an attention whore.
>>
>>45276020
Disagree. Only 35% are white. The rest is all aliens.
>>
>>45279461
I guess he wants the combat to feel gritty, but really he should make mages scarce and kill hundreds of regular joes instead.

Having to clear out a trench with a fire spell would better emphasize the horrors of combat. This is all speculation because I don't read it.
>>
>>45279461
It could be worse
You could be riding around on your centaur husband with a permanent -6 to dex from pregnancy all the time
>>
>>45279916
It's like Nanoha or some other magic shonen stuff , but with a lot of 'Nam in Space slathered on. A lot of 'Nam and PTSD suffering shit.
>>
File: 1448861627919.jpg (18 KB, 636x571) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1448861627919.jpg
18 KB, 636x571
>>45279916
>They've hunkered themselves into their trenches with crossbows. I sent two squads down there, but they've been taken capture. What are your orders, Lieutenant?
>Call in a mage.
>S-sir is that really necessary? There are survivors down there from my platoon.
>Don't question me, Sergeant. A fire spell will clear out the trenches. I dislike it as much as you, but if we don't get past these trenches, HQ will see heads rolling. Say a prayer for your men and call for a mage.
>But sir, we cou--
>See it done.
Gritty and depressing a best.
>>
>>45279748

If I was real attention whore, I would have used my trip all the time but mostly I go tripless with most of my posts.
>>
>45279748

Stop being austic with your post. Stop being an annoying neckneard.
>>
>>45280220
How do you fail this hard?
>>
>>45279195
Do undead skeletons count as dykes?
>>
>>45280303
vox is shit
>>
So what happened to Jedi/Sith apprentice quest?
>>
>>45280363
>>45280363
this desu senpai.
>>
>>45280378
Brine is dead and Eail juggles like 4 quests and barely has time to run at all.
>>
>>45280378
Eail rarely has time for it.
Sith Apprentice stopped running because Brine went MIA. Most people think he didn't know in what direction to take the quest next and/or life and work got the better of him

Honestly, I've been thinking about running a Sith quest where the players start as an Acolyte and work their way up, but people might just call me a copycat or some shit.
>>
>>45280270

Becase I can and I love Blatant Fetish quest!
>>
>>45280492

>Blatant Fetish Quest

Shit man... I remember that quest... too much smut for the blue board...
>>
File: Ersatz_Cognis.jpg (118 KB, 1205x633) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Ersatz_Cognis.jpg
118 KB, 1205x633
Mecha Mercs Skirmish Quest is running!

Come on down for some tacticool mechanised skirmish action.

>>>45279676

(Disclaimer, mech in the pic does not actually appear in the quest.)
>>
>>45280432
It's not like he owns the concept of being a Sith or an apprentice.

I wanted to do one as well, but I really don't have the time.
>>
Yes, I'm alive. Yes I'll be running.
>>
>>45280363
I meant XS but okay.
>>
>>45281048
he's shit too
>>
>>45281103
She, but okay.
>>
>>45281043
Are you really, though?
>>
>>45281164
Mostly, yes.
>>
>>45280378
While we're on the topic
What ever happened to Cyberpunk Courier quest?
>>
I feel like those quest where everyone takes on the role of a character and they all interact are fertile ground for a fun quest, but the format needs work. For one I wouldn't use 1d20, and plus I feel there's probably a better method of conflict resolution.

I don't know, might experiment with it at some point.
>>
>>45281043
I really actually thought you were incapable of running anymore. Good thing you're not.
>>
>>45281312
>everyone takes on the role of a character
That's not a quest, that's a forum RP.
>>
>>45281312
>>45281339
This. All the people who think this "format" is a quest are wrong tbqh.
>>
>>45281339
That's kinda what I'm talking about, they're too rudimentary, they need to be optimized for imageboards.
>>
>>45281321
What doesn't kill me only makes me more bitter and resentful towards death.
>>
>>45281397
Is this because Kitty is starting a quest too?
>>
>>45279683
What? Why would they do that?
>>
>>45281387
You can't optimize a circlejerk where everyone posts as many times a minute as possible in order to get maximum attention.
>>
>>45281387
>they need to be optimized for imageboards.
I definitely wouldn't call it "need".
/tg/'s had RPs before, but those devolve into the exact same faggotry we mock other RPs for without question.
For example, Mage's Guild. That shit got rightfully banned, and even now it's probably clogging up some poor archive.
>>
>>45281413
Nope. I've been bedridden for well over a month, and haven't been gaming, writing, or anything other than bedridden and reading for the entire time. Considering I finish one book every 7-10 hours and can barely sleep anyways, I've been bored insane (no electronics in oxygen tents) and need to DO SOMETHING.

I've been relegated to making RPG characters I'll never use and reading and thinking about Ryukusa and friends and their enemies for weeks.

And I don't know who Kitty is.
>>
>>45281467
I'm not talking about that mages guild cancer, more like that line of valg thing up right now.
>>
>>45281043
I swear you're becoming a lich
Artificial lung tech and stomach flora transplants can't come fast enough
>>
>>45281510
Wait, what horrible diseas do you have?
>>
>>45281467

You remember the Modern Fantasy threads we used to get? Funny joke turned pretty quickly into "LET ME DESCRIBE TO YOU MY CENTAUR BRIDE."
>>
>>45281633
oh fuck, know when you're going to die? you gonna live?
>>
>>45276020
According to /int/, since I am American I am non-white by definition. >.>
>>
>>45277234
>the QM doesn't clearly indicate what's to be expected from the quest

I thought people here hated introductory descriptions to games...
>>
>>45277904
>implying
>>
>>45281596
They had to remove several ounces of my lower left lung due to scar tissue punching holes through it and causing partial lung collapse, followed by infection. If it had been any upper part I would have been fine.
:blog

You know how fat people will say "oh, I have asthma bad" when it's just the fat crushing their lungs? I have had asthma so bad since I was 3 that the X-ray of my lungs looks like the Death Star exploding due to the scar tissue in my bronchial tubes. The drugs keep me underweight and I take inhaled steroids so I can breathe without pain. This is the third time I've had a small part of my lung collapse, but this one had extra complications that couldn't be cured with "antibiotics and ignoring it until it healed." 5% of your lung collapsing is pain on the level of a heart attack, but it can self-heal eventually in a few weeks, as long as the injuries aren't self-complicating.

/blog
I'm a gamer because I can't have a real life.

>>45281717
>>45281633
That's later. I've dodged that bullet so far.
>>
>>45281755
Now I feel outright bad for pretending to be you for shits and giggles. Well, hope you live a happy life anyhow, find love and all that jazz.
>>
>>45281717
I uh, damn...
>>
>>45281717
Post with trip, or disbelieve.
>>
>>45281799

I'd give you some lung if that were possible and mine weren't such shit.

I'd ask if you want anything but I'm not sure what I could give.
>>
>>45281510
>>45281633
>>45281717
>>45281799

Shit man that what not good at all...
>>
>Mfw the sudden drop of mood in this thread
Yeah, I need some fresh air from all these feels.
>>
>>45281896
>>45281901
I don't want anything. I write because I enjoy it and I will get to go back to TTRPG in another couple of weeks. I post on /tg/ because the diversity of opinion and new games and creative content are fun. I've had my good times and I'll keep having more until cancer really does get me. It's literally the only thing that has killed anyone in my family for the previous 3 generations, so I'm pretty sure that's my ticket out.

/tg/ has some pretty good people in it and I enjoy what it does. Sure, the mods are idiots at times, but they really could be worse.
>>
If I were to run a Nasuverse quest, would anybody be interested in a quest revolving around a Sealing Enforcer?
>>
>>45281510
Man, how's the musculature holding up after a month of lying in bed?
>>
>>45282177
>Nasuverse
Pls no.
>>
mods confirmed not worse than terminal cancer
earlier stages of cancer still have a chance
>>
>>45282196
What musculature?
>>
>>45282234
Dohoho.
Really though, I had to lie down a week and while it didn't really reduce my muscle mass, they were very cranky when I started moving around again. 4 weeks on an already spindly body sounds like it'd be torturous.
>>
>>45282196
There wasn't all that much to begin with. Isometrics and tai chi are the best I can manage, and they got me this far. Pure hate for my body works pretty well in a crunch. You really get a feel for the Sith and Hate=Strength after a while.
>>
>>45281996

I wish you good luck to live out your remaining life. As my mother used to say, "Den dagen, den sorgen." or in english "That day, that sorrow" .
>>
>>45282177
Sure. Better than another Fate Quest, that's for sure.
>>
File: 1449603774957.png (45 KB, 554x439) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1449603774957.png
45 KB, 554x439
>>45282347
>"Den dagen, den sorgen."
I get the feeling your mother is from Dalarna or Norrköping.
>>
>>45282364
they seem to have a very large audience though
>>
Thanks for the support. Dropping my trip.

Also, fuck the moonbunny attacks. I need my Chiaki fix.
>>
>>45282539
Don't worry XS, you can just chill out with Mari- oh.
>>
>>45282539
Before you leave, have you figured out what quest you'll run?
>>
>>45282539
I wish you a longer and more prosperous life than you seem to be living.
>>
File: Oba-san.jpg (628 KB, 700x840) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Oba-san.jpg
628 KB, 700x840
>>45282561
Ryukuza Quest continues tomorrow.

>>45282557
I'll lay even odds Midori wakes up with no memories.

>>45282595
Prosperity is measured in friends. I have enough.
>>
>>45282661
>Ryukuza Quest continues tomorrow.
I really need to finished catching up at some point. Got distracted after the first 10 threads or so and despite loving it the ordeal of catching up over a year's work is daunting enough to keep me from diving back in
>>
>>45282376

Actually she is from Thailand and she possibly learn it from somebody.
>>
>>45282692
It's at 760 pages of 12 point ariel font. Took me most of two days to reread it.
>>
>>45282763
You counted anon? Or is there a PDF or something?
>>
Is romance in SoL quests frowned upon? It's unrequited love between two side-characters that the MC can help or just observe.
>>
>>45282763
>Took me most of two days to reread it.
Was that with out without the chatter from players?
And alas two solid days of reading would keep me busy for at least a couple of weeks thanks to the other stuff I have going on
>>
>>45282801
>>45282807
There's a PDF without chatter from the players. Is there somewhere good for uploading it?
>>
>>45282803
>unrequited love between two side-characters
are they both female?
>>
>>45282844
mixtape.moe seems to be preferred pomf clone at the moment
>>
>>45282803
Probably not really. Unless anons really wanted to romance one of them.
>>
File: _lemur.png (377 KB, 640x425) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
_lemur.png
377 KB, 640x425
>>45279230
>>45279322
I'd play it.
>>
>>45282845
No.

>>45282907
I see. Thanks.
>>
>>45279656
I'm pretty novice at running quests but I want to do one that features some combat. And the players can chose the MC to be a robot or a dinosaur, I want the two to be a little different mechanically.

Any tips on the combat side? Any suggestions on how I could do the MC?
>>
>>45282844
I should have added:
I tend to try to read the chatter as I go when catching up, feel it's rude to play if I haven't immersed myself in the plans and ploys of the current crowd
>>
>>45282922
then as long as its not yurishit its all right
>>
>>45281370
>>45281339
Then it belongs here even more than quests do, since quests are just choose your own adventure novels.
>>
>>45282844
>>45282807
>>45282801
my dot mixtape dot moe/xplqxk dot rtf

Ryukuza Quest as spellchecked as possible with XS' fucked up Wapanese.
>>
>>45282941
Kind of depends on the mechanics in general.
>>
>>45281467
>>45281542
The Mage Guild was great until it got too silly.
>>
>>45282982
>Anti-quest fag
Good evening.
>>
>>45282941
They'll want to be both. I recommend you let them play as a cyborg dinosaur and offer abilities from both sides.
>>
>>45282987
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>45282177
Yeah.
>>
>>45282807
>>45282844
Why would you want it without player commentary?
>>
>>45283102
The PDF also has all the SUPTG archives listed if you want that.

It's bigger than some trilogies by now.
>>
>>45283102
I was >>45282944
>>
>>45282803
Everything is frowned down upon, just the same as everything is cherished.
>>
>>45283340
You might say it's frownished.
>>
>>45283385
Or cherowned upon. You'd be a faggot either way.
>>
>>45283404
You say that like we aren't all already faggots here. Its 4chan after all.
>>
>>45281758
Not at all what I suggested. What you're talking about is indeed poor form, and as far as I'm concerned is just creative bankruptcy. If you're going to write a quest, you also have at least enough sense of setting tone, through both images and words, to clearly show what a quest is going to be simply by writing the opening scene and choosing a fitting OP image. After all, you have all the time in the world to make a good start to your quest.
>>
Muscle Wizard Quest when?
>>
>>45283802
>to clearly show what a quest is going to be simply by writing the opening scene

This simply isn't possible unless you have a shit setting.
>>
>>45284361
When you _____lift____.
>>
>>45283802
>>45284441
While I don't think you can tell people everything about your setting in post one, it certainly helps to give people a solid feel for the tone.

Jarring tonal shifts are the number one cause of shitstorms when the QM suddenly turns their cutesy SoL grimdark or visa-versa.
>>
>>45284361

>Muscle Wizard and Cardio Cleric locked in a magical duel

I could try it as a one-shot next weekend.
>>
>>45284441
You can't explain the entire setting this way, no. But I never said you should. In fact that would be catastrophic! Nothing left to discover that way!

No, I'm talking about tone and feeling, a solid impression of how your MC behaves and thinks, and what your writing is like. These make a quest enjoyable, and these are what you need to convey!
>>
If written well, can a Mystery Quest be done? A Sherlock Holmes-esque quest.
>Every Arc has a Mystery of its own, and an iconic villain behind it.
>Witty humour.
>A side-character that both enhances the MC's personality and growth, but also sets stop to shenanigans.
>>
>>45284561
>>45284488
But given that all stories are infinite, tone is supposed to vary.
>>
>>45284601
Can it be done? Yes.

Can it be done by you? Probably not.
>>
>>45284635
Vary to a degree, but not turn on a dime to something completely unexpected, which is what some QMs have a bad habit of doing because they fail to set up tone and feeling and let people to know the sort of range to expect the quest to fall within.

Look at it this way, if Hermione had been violently raped and murdered in the second Harry Potter book, people would've been to say the least a little perturbed.
>>
>>45284702
So? Bad shit happens. Don't coddle the players.
>>
File: 1447564803548.jpg (223 KB, 1016x548) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1447564803548.jpg
223 KB, 1016x548
>>45284659
>Can it be done by you? Probably not.
>>
>>45284770
I'm not sure that coddling is the same thing as QMs just doing whatever the fuck they want even if it's completely tonally fucked just because.

I know that there's no quality control on /tg/, but at least try to tell a coherent story rather than letting the tone sway schizophrenically all over the place. You know, like real authors do.

Most QMs only have sudden tonal shifts because they think it makes them look clever, or makes their quest DEEP, anyway.
>>
>>45282941
>I want the two to be a little different mechanically.
The only thing a player gets is updates and explicit things in writing. Underlying mechanics and puzzles aren't as important player side if they aren't simple. In simple terms, people care about being cool.

>Any tips on the combat side? Any suggestions on how I could do the MC?
Think of how the MC solves issues, and what happens when his preferred MO fails. Build a small list and use it. The dinosaur scares people; mauls, crushes and throws things around; tanks damage or dodges by instinct. If he fails, goons remember they have guns, people slink into small spaces, someone makes a smart call, etc.

Works for social and knowledge stuff, too. Having that short list adds characterization, since the MC won't just do the perfect genius solution every time.
>>
Be the dog
>>45284879
>>
>>45284772
Wow, you have shit taste in movies and video games. You definitely can't write this quest.
>>
>>45284510
Please do.
>>
Join us for Junkie Quest, a one-shot where being an asshole scores you a cheap supernatural high.

>>45282710
>>
File: pg1.png (1 MB, 886x1946) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
pg1.png
1 MB, 886x1946
For all you civilization lovers, be sure to check the weekend discussion:

>>45285064
>>
>>45284975
Hipster pls
>>
>>45284975
Who pissed in your cereals this morning?
>>
File: 1454221667806.png (433 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454221667806.png
433 KB, 1280x720
>>45284975
>>
>>45284975

Are you stabbing blindly for something that may offend, or do you genuinely believe that a common reaction image means THIS MY FAVORITE MOVIE AND GAME?
>>
>>45274638
> QM question
I don't. I'd have to convince myself of that first. Instead, I think everything I do isn't good enough and I'm about to get spit upon by all of /tg/ for being an attention whoring waste of time.

>>45284770
I blinded my players after they ignored an in-character warning and fucked with too much magic.

That didn't go down well... I think a lot of us are worried about losing players if we hurt their character too badly.
>>
Quest reviews when?
>>
>>45285257
>>45285341
>>45285459
Take your plebeian taste to >>>/s4s/ , you meme-loving fucks.
>>
>>45288101
Hopefully never, there's no tier of lifeform lower than critic, professional or hobbyist
>>
>>45287145
Go the opposite direction. Brutalize them mercilessly. It will attract a lot of people.
>>
File: Smug overload.jpg (42 KB, 448x595) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Smug overload.jpg
42 KB, 448x595
>>45288126
You're still angry as fuck? Seek help.
>>
File: 1454587331255.jpg (82 KB, 398x398) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454587331255.jpg
82 KB, 398x398
>>45288126
>a meme is something I don't like
>>
>>45288101
He already did Superhuman Legacy this weekend. He said he'll probably have the review for Crusade Quest and Republic commando quest by next weekend.
>>
>>45288101
When you write one you massive fag. Now quit asking.
>>
>>45288148
Well they're blind now. They're making smarter choices too and their dice are unreal. But some day... Some day I'll get to DESTROY them. The only real bad luck they've had is with their wife. One child stillborn and the two survivors had complications.
>>
File: _b.png (107 KB, 182x268) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
_b.png
107 KB, 182x268
>>45288558
>>
File: _df.png (1 MB, 900x881) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
_df.png
1 MB, 900x881
>>45284803
>>
I live again!

Notice for my players, I'll be putting up a pastebin containing one of the three interludes what open our next thread in about half an hour or so as an apology for the lack of thread this weekend. Granted it may be one of the least relevant to the current plot, but think of it as a reward for again somehow stumbling onto my notes.

Also to all the other QMs who I read that may have run this weekend, I look forward on catching up on what I missed.

And to review anon, I look forward to your review and hope the archive binge has been/is a pleasant experience despite the litany of things I perceive as my quest's foibles, flaws, shortcomings, & etc
>>
>>45290323
>>
>>45290477
If you have to suck dick to get attention, you're not good enough to write in the first place.
>>
>>45290581
>>>/b/
>>
>>45290773
Nah, I'm good.
>>
You're the Dog now Man seemed to go well, I feel good enough to work on my own projects again
>>
Myrmidon quest is starting:

>>45284803
>>
>>45290818
That wasn't a request.

>>45290877
What is that?
>>
>>45289531
Hey, it's the stone age! Death, pain and worse is all around, only waiting for you to slip up. We here in the modern world have no IDEA what our ancestors went through.
>>
>>45291141
>We here in the modern world have no IDEA what our ancestors went through.
Wrong. Historians are pretty sure how life was in the stone age and what our ancestors went through on a daily basis etc.
>>
>>45284536
>>
>>45291415
This belongs in the smut discussions.
>>
How important is a stable schedule?

I want to run a quest and I have ideas, however I have an odd shift work 'schedule' as its basically "You work X to Y tomorrow/You got the day off" and only learn this after I leave work for the day.

The only think I know for certain is that I have at least one day off per week, but otherwise my time is a complete and total crapshoot.
>>
>>45292110
Your quest won't survive if you can't at least run your new quest every day for around 3-5 days. Otherwise, you'll find yourself without a player base at thread 2 or 3.

Once you've done it for a couple of days, you can inform them that the quest will become a weekly thing.
>>
>>45292198
That sounds like too much effort.
>>
>>45292224
Takes effort to QM for people with no promise of payment.
>>
>>45292244
Which is why it isn't worth even trying. I'd rather play.
>>
>>45292198

Fuck that's going to be really difficult with what I currently got.

Back to planning until I get a window then.
>>
>>45292281
Oddly enough, I don't enjoy playing in quests. I only enjoy writing and seeing people discuss my quest, despite the lack of sleep and income that comes with it.
>>
>>45291161
And you think that equates to real experience? Oh you sweet summer child...
>>
>>45292321
And you think you know more than historians how life was in the stone age? Oh sweet summer child...
>>
>>45292311
Nobody likes my quests any way.
>>
>>45292346
It seems you have confused facts for experience. Unless they live in absolute squalor in the third world, they have no idea how it feels.
>>
>>45292372
>Implying third world experience is the same as stone age experience
Holy shit, you're more naive than I thought. I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll graduate from high school, but don't get your hopes up, RWB.
>>
>anon unwilling to recognize history is about 10% of the whole image
non-cute, anon
>>
File: 1453930733532.gif (423 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453930733532.gif
423 KB, 640x480
>>45292476
>RWB got assblasted and cries about it
Shit QM is shit.
>>
>>45292414
Yes, because bones and notes on a paper truly capture the suffering of the prehistoric era...

How sheltered are you?
>>
>>45292513
>Still implying you know more about the life of prehistoric era than people that dedicate their lives to study it
I rest my case. You're an idiot.
>>
>>45292565
See >>45292513 and >>45292372
>>
>>45292580
see
>>45292505
>>
>>45292346
Never said any such thing. I just do my best with what I have an acknowledge it's not close to the full picture.

Still, I intend to take my duty to historical accuracy seriously. Tell me, how familiar are you with 'Living History'?

>>45292505
Assblasted? Since when?

>>45292513
>>45292565
Everyone? Please chill. My original point was simply that many of us, living in our comfy, heated houses, with more food than we can eat and transport to anywhere in the world within a matter of hours, just can't even begin to understand what it was like for Stone Age man.

I don't understand the experience any better, but I do my best to explore it, alongside my players. I grew up in the forest, learned to track deer at a young age, as well as what plants are good to eat and just how clear and quiet the night can be, far from the city lights. I've knapped flint, bound a shaft with a grip and practiced archery. I know just enough to start. The rest, it is up to me to convey through writing. The fact of the matter is, I never feel I do it well enough, so I know I just have to improve.
>>
>>45292789
>Damage control to the max
Yeah, okay, buddy.
>>
>>45292789
Why are you posting with your name? Stop being an attention whore unless you WANT people to shitpost your quest.
>>
Not that this conversation isn't really interesting but let's talk about something else. Namely, me.

I have an idea for a quest in which the characters play an MMO. Now, I am ten million percent aware of all the dumb tropes like "die in the game die for real" and "stuck in the game, can't log out;" I want to focus more on the social aspect and personal lives of the type of people that get super invested into MMOs. That being said, What would be some ways I could go about making it very clear right away that this isn't going to turn into some .hack or Sword Art Online fanfiction, I'm concerned people won't even open the thread because they'll think "well I know where this is going"
>>
File: _seenoevil.png (69 KB, 290x174) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
_seenoevil.png
69 KB, 290x174
>>45292593
Figuratively whom?

Who would be interested in a game of Nomic?

http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/nomic.htm
>>
>>45292862
>have an idea for a quest in which the characters play an MMO.

This idea is a stupid trend. Don't hop on the bandwagon.

Instead, do something original.
>>
>>45292862
>Namely, me.
I like your attitude. Confidence.

As for your quest idea, people usually only open a thread based on the OP image and the quest name. I bet people will open it if done right and from there on out it's the OP post that will determine if you get players or not.

I'd say go for it, because so many quests before has gone down the route of "VRMMO" so it would be refreshing to see a quest where you play the guy playing a character.

>>45292862
>>45292913
While this guy isn't wrong (nor is he right) and an OC quest will always be considered better than fanfiction quests, your idea is original in and off itself as long as you base it in an original "game world".

Just because it belongs to a highly popular trend/genre, doesn't mean it cannot be OC.
>>
>>45292862
>>45292969
Make it about Second Life or something else instead, if you must use virtual reality.
>>
I have run (well, more failed than run) two quests or one shots. Just recently in fact. One was Imperial Grunt, which I ran a few minutes ago with my sister, and the inappropriately named Failing Utopia. Here is what learned.

>Lore is not plot.
I was so excited about the setting I came up with that I forgot about the plot to be set in it. The plot, not the setting, should be the selling point of the quest.

>Definite directions.
Their should be clear goals to strive for, be it temporary or permanent. This should be obvious but I somehow forgot about it. I had no idea what the endgame was suppose to be or if there even was one.

>Meaningful Choices.
This is another basic. My mistake here was giving choices that wouldn't really affect the outcome all that much.

>Being a soldier is boring.
On a more specific note, running Imperial Grunt quest was really boring. There are not a lot of things a soldier can do, at least independently.

Feel free to correct or further criticize me as I have proven incapable of critical thinking and would like to know how to improve.

With all that said, I think I wont be QMing for a while. At least until I have better idea of what I'm doing.
>>
WHERE IS HQQ
>>
>>45292862
Give a short "not a death game" in the OP

intermix.....you know what, you don't need anything else.

There's been, like, 1 other quest that did the same thing, and at no point in time did anyone ever think it would go into Death Game.

Well, that's a lie: there was 1 other quest, but that gets a pass because it was blatantly based off Moonlight Sculptor.
>>
>>45292996
He never said it was going to be virtual reality though.
>>
>>45292996
Maybe even a transhuman setting where most people spend most of their time in cyberspace, because running your meatbody is expensive.
>>
>>45293003
Also, sorry. I forgot to drop my trip.
>>
File: stufftg.jpg (122 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
stufftg.jpg
122 KB, 600x1000
My wacom pen broke and now I can't run my quest.

I envy you writefriends.
>>
>>45293003
Plot is overrated. Your players were shit.

Goals are for people who can't enjoy the experience of the moment.

All choices are meaningful.

Well, yeah. M*A*S*H* taught us that.
>>
>>45293055
>All choices are meaningful.
I respectfully disagree with your inexperienced opinion.
>>
>>45293051
NO!!! We will never get a conclusion to the Nerv Quest!
>>
>>45293051
Who's that demon semen?
>>
>>45293084
I disrespectfully disagree with your uncreative opinion.
>>
>>45293230
Then we're at an impasse, my good sir. Let's agree to disagree. Good day to you.
>>
>>45292837
I've seen his quest. It's deserted most of the time.

If you started shitposting it, you'd honestly be doing him a favor. RWB can't keep a regular speed to save his life.
>>
File: stufftg.jpg (112 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
stufftg.jpg
112 KB, 600x1000
>>45293089
I plan on running it tomorrow.

Are Mondays too shitty to run Quests?
>>
>>45293549
It's called "Shitposting monday" for a reason, but good luck if you decide to run. You need it.
>>
How does a quest last 30+ editions? That's insane to me, at least if you're actually writing as you go and not just railroading
>>
>>45293779
Some people are better at improv than others. If you just give someone a concept and tell them to run with it, they can keep it going for as long as the writer and players stay interested.

But part of me thinks this is bait, and you're just shitposting, so here's your reply I guess.
>>
File: 1451428194293.jpg (67 KB, 500x354) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451428194293.jpg
67 KB, 500x354
>>45293824
I'm diamond hard right now.
>>
>>45293824
It's not, it was a real question. Have we reached the point where legitimate curiosity is indistinguishable from shitposting?
>>
>>45293883
It's a shitpost question that gets asked relatively often, so yes. It's like someone innocently asking who the good QMs are so they can read up on them and try and learn things, or who the worst QMs are so they can see what not to do.

The question itself can be completely innocent, but is typically used for shitposters just trying to get a reaction. People will call it out as such, because you can't discern a difference most of the time.
>>
>>45293926
Well that sucks I guess.
>>
>>45293549
I've found mondays are a surprisingly good time to run quests.
>>
>>45294028
I mean I write a quest that just entered the early thirties.

And, really, as long as you have a long plot with multiple points set up from the beginning, it will take you much longer to get where you're going thank you think.
>>
>>45294080
What makes you figure that?
>>
>>45293779
Depends on the Quest. A Quest based on a sort of road-trip format where you spend a lot of time travelling from place to place could last for a very long time, just see any episodic television show.
>>
>>45294263
I guess I just need to plan ahead then. Maybe I'm just too overeager to get to the juicy bits
>>
>>45294283
My threads have been a bit more active on mondays recently.
>>
>>45294330
Your plan should at the very least have a good idea for the beginning, maybe four to five middle beats and then an end beat.

If you are on the third middle beat and decide you want this to go on longer slip something in, but you'll never feel like 'shit, what next' if you have it planned out seven to ten steps ahead
>>
I have the opposite problem. My Quest is drawing closer to its inevitable end and I'm worried I have too much stuff planned out to do beforehand. I don't want it to get too cluttered and add even more loose ends to resolve.
>>
>>45293549
If it's at the same time as before, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Just make sure to get word around for it.
>>
>>45292513
Nothing truly captures anything. The most you can do is evocate emotions that will make your reader, or player, or spectator, or whatever, empathize with the characters in the story. A perfect writer is capable of making any human empathize with any other human. But that is moot, since none of us are perfect.
>>
Has anyone else developed a setting for their quest and decided that it would be a lot more fun with multiple players, and decide to throw together a homebrew system for the setting to drag your hapless RPG group into?

Because I'm really, really tempted to do that. If it weren't for the fact that I'm already running a game with them (and only started the game a session ago) I'd probably already be working on it.
>>
>>45296174
I'd be pretty fine with playing in the AToW setting, Hex.
>>
>>45296243
Same.
>>
>>45296243
>>45296381
I'm not Hexer, I'm afraid.
But I would totally play in the AToW setting too.
>>
>>45296174
Well, JQOP apparently homebrewed his own system for the Quest and mentioned that he'd probably release both it and the setting notes once the Quest is finished.
>>
>>45296174
I've been turning my setting into a FATE-hack system in my spare time. It's fun.
>>
When I first started my quest, I recieved a number of requests for making it into a TT system. Not quite sure how a mashup of Amber Diceless and Legends of the Wulin would work in tabletop.
>>
Dragon Rider Quest when? I know Paolini gets a lot of flack, but magic dragon cops would be heaps fun.
>>
>>45298236
Eragon's worldbuilding is utter shit.
>>
>>45298261
I know it isn't incredibly original, but neither is a lot of fantasy
>>
>>45298313
You can do Dragon Rider Quest while distancing yourself from Eragon as much as possible though.
>>
>>45298313
>Elves are staunch atheists despite there being numerous physical proofs of a god
>Magic is so completely and utterly retardedly overpowered that there's no way that there weren't a line of tyrants before Evil mc Eviltorix
>Magic can synthesize plastic
>can't do it to magic spacerocks though lol
>Magic Hyperspace is a thing
>Like holy shit the magic makes 3.5 level 20 magic classes look like Exalted's Heroic Mortals in comparison.
>Magic dick-measuring is how people do things
>Furfag elves that mindrape humans passively
>Elves are so ridiculously perfect at everything that there's no way they weren't once the tyrants mentioned above
>Literally only one important muggle
>I TOLD YOU THE TRUTH FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW
>A species that loses the INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT ABILITY TO SPEAK WHEN IT TURNS INTO AN ADULT
>Wordless Magic asspulls


This isn't even going into the literal Starwars plot.

Honestly, it might be more fun to dick around with turning into a tyrant with the OP ass magic.
>>
File: 1451483531571.jpg (101 KB, 848x900) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451483531571.jpg
101 KB, 848x900
>>45298236
>>45298328
Pretty sure there was (is?) a quest on /tg/ about a dragon rider.

I glanced into one thread to discover that she was having an emotional breakdown about having been captured, raped and impregnated by enemy soldiers in the thread before.

Which, you know, is exactly the sort of thrilling action one reads a dragon rider quest for.
>>
>>45298367
>I TOLD YOU THE TRUTH FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW

The Jedi are evil?
>>
>>45298374
Smut quests a shit though.
>>
>>45298367
... huh. Didn't really look at it like that when I was younger. Kinda forgot how retard magic got which is a shame cause it started out cool.
>>
>>45298390
It wasn't even a smut quest. It had all happened in fade to black or something. I think the QM just thought that rape = mature plot and character development.
>>
>>45298395
>rape = mature plot and character development.
So, a shitty writer?
>>
>>45298408
That's what I'm saying, yes.
>>
Speaking of retarded magic, how does one avoid it when you write something with magic included? The only thing I have set in stone for now is that there is elemental magic and the cost of using magic is a Recoil of sorts; Depending on how powerful your spell is or for how long you cast a spell or several spells in a row, the Recoil will be stronger and last longer. Essentially, you hurt yourself to some degree when you use magic.
>>
>>45298391
The magic in that setting can fuel itself from the lives of others.
It's not even considered hard to do something like murder a large army in order to lift their home city and throw it somewhere else.

The only reason there's any conflict in the series whatsoever is because of "countermagic lol" which rings hollow when the only mages are either elves, Dragon Riders, or people who enter a pact with a spirit (Which has a 50/50 chance of turning you into a horrific pained abomination).
>>
>>45298428
Okay, this question comes up a lot in many writing situations and quests are no different.

Part of the problem is that in a game, magic has to be codified and set in stone, and that's what /tg/ expects - codified, controlled, absolute magic=science facts.

Magic in ANY book is rarely such a thing, because magic in any book is exactly one thing: a plot device. No matter how internally consistent, no matter how seemingly organized, no matter how strange, simple, or scientific (or the lack of those qualities!) it is, magic is only ever a writer's plot device used to manipulate the story into going where it needs to go.

The problem with magic in Quests on /tg/ is that the player base expects codified, scientific-style magic. If you don't give that to them, they try and make it that way anyways so they can attempt to rape the setting with it (see Eragon comments above). So first look at how YOU need magic to work in your quest. THEN you can determine how accessible and useful it an be to the players. If you don't need it to work in a specific way to advance the plot, then really, don't bother with it.
>>
>>45298517
Thanks, gave me lots of ideas.
>>
>>45296997

I don't think it will work for standard tabletop gaming. You've seen how recent threads absolutely break down when multiple combatants are involved. A six-on-six fight between powerful characters has taken MONTHS, and it isn't over yet.
>>
>>45298517
If I were to run a magic based quest on /tg/, I would run it like Zelazney's Madwand. Mages in Madwand run the gamut of powers and styles, and they are all terrified of untrained mages who spontaeously manifest magical ability. These mages are called madwands, and their power is inexplicable.

A typical madwand's magic latches onto the paradigm of whatever mage he's currently in battle against, and their magical powers translate exactly, so it quickly become a test of power over skill, since the mage has skill, and the madwand is just learning how the current form of magic he is using works RIGHT NOW.

The most terrifying madwand was the one whose magic didn't follow ANYONE'S paradigm. He merely willed his magic to work, and it did. The madwand youth couldn't get a handle on how the elder's magic worked in the slightest for the longest time...
>>
>>45298517

Frankly, I do like the idea of magic being fired from guns. That's the only thing Mahouka did right: Their version of wands are GUNS.
>>
I really really want to run a superhuman quest where your power is adaptive regeneration (this is just my favourite, i have some other powers ready as well) but i'm very afraid it'll look like a HMQ-clone since i binged the entire HMQ over the past 3 days.

Any tips on how to not look like a total ripoff? I was planning on having the character in need of money and giving the players the choice of living a harder life putting other people in front or going criminal and prioritizing family.
>>
>>45293926
But seriously, why do quests have to linger for hundreds of sessions? The Simpsons taught us that quality is inversely proportionate to length.
>>
>>45299039
Sometimes things don't go as planned.
>>
>>45299039
Some people aren't yet infected with the ADHD of American millennials.

Speaking as an American.
>>
>>45298913
If you don't know what choice /tg/ will pick every fucking time you haven't read enough quests.
>>
>>45299108
I've seen some quests where the character walks a better path even thought it's harder for them unless you mean becoming a lawful paladin of JUSTICE
>>
>>45299232
>some quests
Every quest.
>>
>>45299249
I could enjoy writing a quest where your only remaining family (a younger sister) is slowly dying because you have a lack of money after a superpower apocalypse and your character place other people above their family.
>>
>>45299079
There is no way those quests are any good, especially the episodic ones.

All the best series have a deliberately limited run.
>>
>>45298776
>That's the only thing Mahouka did right
>only thing
But Mahouka also did the incredibly overpowered protagonist thing right.
>>
>>45298776

>magic gun

Outlaw Star Quest when?
>>
>>45298517
>because magic in any book is exactly one thing: a plot device
I am not going to completely argue this point, since magic is always something that moves the plot in some direction, but that's honestly a pretty bad representation of all of literature.

The general rule for magic is that if it IS a plot device, something to introduce conflict for the majority of the main cast and move the plot in a direction outside of their control, then it needs to be left mostly undefined and untouchable. It isn't something the MC should ever have reliable control or access too and it should be more often in the hands of others who may help or not help the MC. It still needs to be defined to a certain extent, but only enough to show a reliable way to beat it, such as the ring in LotR needing to be thrown into the lava of Mt. Mordor.

If the magic is, however, a tool that the main cast can use to try to resolve conflict and try to advance the plot in a direction more close to their choosing, then it needs to be defined, codified, and sufficiently explained so the readers/players know what to expect from it when it's used.

Some books have well-explained magic because magic is in the hands of a lot of people, including usually the MC, and if the author doesn't actually have an explanation for how magic works and hasn't built an expectation in the reader's when it's used then he's writing a long series of nonsense asspulls that don't matter. Others don't have much of an explanation of magic's rules and limits because it's closer to the monster in a horror movie, and unknown thing you have to fight.
>>
>>45298617
That's mostly because JQOP can only run once a month because of his new schedule and spends up to ten full posts describing all the shit that happens every update and thus can only put out 3-4 updated per thread. I doubt it'd be that much of an issue in a regular tabletop game.
>>
>>45299039
The reason quality is usually inversely proportional to length is because in those cases the stories are generally artificially lengthened beyond the scope they were originally meant to cover due to popularity or something else. If the story is planned to be long from the start and all the content required to sustain everything in the long run is present from early on, it's not nearly as much of an issue.
>>
>>45299295
>All the best series have a deliberately limited run.
Such as? I've read a few short Quests that used to be praised and while good, they were far from being the best ones.
>>
>>45299989
>ten full posts
Sounds extremely boring.
>>
>>45299784

No, man. It didn't. I argue that an overpowered protagonist only works when there are a lot of overpowered protagonist at odds. In that situation, each person is basically a nuclear bomb.

Can you imagine the stories set in a world like that? A guy sweating and coming this close to pissing himself, when he has to tell a superhuman:

> "Echo-1 is moving towards Florida. We think he's creating a gravitational singularity. You are the only thing that could possibly stop him."

And this walking nuclear bomb gives you an inscrutable look, stands up, and says "Very well. For God and country, then."

Mahouka's problem is that Tatsuya is the only one with that level of power. If China and all the other countries each had a handful of apocalypse-tier wizards, we're in a perpetual Cold War with civilization-ending human weapons and the intrigues around them. The main questions would be: How do we control these people? How do we make more? Can we breed him with someone? Is there a process that can turn someone into Tatsyua? If he goes off the reservation, how do we stop him?
>>
>>45300035
That'd probably be the case if the players actually new the results via rolling. Since the QM handles all the mechanics in the background, anything can go wrong at any point and players are stuck worrying about whether their plan works or they get buttfucked in the next post.

I still remember laughing at how hyped everyone was at the QMC pulling off a glorious cross-counter, before finding out that the opponent was resilient enough to largely shrug it off and smack the QMC away like a red headed stepchild.
>>
>>45300130
>Since the QM handles all the mechanics in the background
Ah, so he can railroad as much as he'd like. Good plan on his end.
>>
>>45300168

Honestly, given how things have turned out, it's not likely. Another QM would just have given up, because the players have made shitty decisions and dodged plot points.
>>
>>45300188
>Honestly, given how things have turned out, it's not likely.
Just because things have turned bad doesn't mean the QM isn't railroading. The fact that he's the one rolling in the background would be the first dead giveaway.
>>
>>45300188
>>45300168

Actually, how can you tell if a QM is railroading or not? In any Quest, I mean.
>>
>>45300231
Too little player agency in most cases.
>>
>>45300231
Let's use an example. Do you remember Crusader Quest? Used to be shilled in here quite a bit; thank fuck that's stopped.
Anyway, the players wanted to save some chick from an arranged marriage. Or something like that; it doesn't quite matter.
What does matter, though, is that the QM had the husband-to-be come in with his guards, have all the warriors on our side lose, and then lovingly, floridly described the rape of the chick in question while the player character was forced to watch.
Later in the same thread, he admitted he had wanted to write a rape scene for quite a while now.

That's railroading.
>>
>>45300035

There are too many people fighting. Each round has to cycle fully before the PC gets to take another turn. So after the PC goes, everyone else gets to act, and then this has to be translated narratively.

Like, you can tell that what is actually happening is:

NPC 1 attacks NPC 2. 3 attacks 2. 4 attacks 3.

PC move.

Then ALL the NPCs move again.

I sympathize, really. Quests are not made for these kind of big fights with only one actor and a shitload of NPCs. For some reason JQOP is doing things round by round instead of abstractedly with the NPCs killing each other off-screen, which I would have done instead.
>>
>>45300272
To be fair the players ignored that subplot and could have prevented it.

But also to be fair HF ran like once a month back then and no one could be bothered to remember every little detail or subplot/intrigue of your quest if you run so damn infrequently.
>>
>>45300272

I thought it was because the PC didn't actually do anything constructive to help her.
>>
>>45300272
I remember the shitfest that started after that. I think that thread got around -50 downvotes on suptg before the proxy voters votes were taken down.
>>
>>45300331

Sounds like a typical Exalted 2E battle.
>>
>>45300331

There's getting your quest stuck on Namek, but it sounds like JQOP bought property there and settled down to start a family.
>>
>>45300272
I actually just finished reading this part, and your recollection is a little off.

The greek trap evidently had this whole plot thing going on that the players never saw, which was passed off as 'running in tangent with your story and you could have changed her fate if you had met her sooner, except there was never any way for the players to know they could meet her and it was completely never mentioned until she showed up just now and it was already too late'.

At which point we could have then also potentially escaped the rape if we 'went to see the lord of the city first thing in the morning so he could tell us about the huge fleet of roman gallies parked in the harbor that we had no idea about and also weren't mentioned, that way we could escape with her from the city sooner from the people she told us she had already lost some towns ago'.

HF's explanation for this was "your servant/advisor told your briefly that getting involved with her would be trouble" - Said character also effectively shrugged when you didn't necessarily agree. Which was painfully in character, because the quest has literally been the playerbase screaming "BARD KNIGHT" and sticking their dick into and/or championing every woman they found.

At this point you were written into the scenario described where in you had two options as to whether to use your charisma to try and save the girl, or to let it happen. Both options actually did nothing, because HF confirmed she would have been raped and carried off anyway, and that attempting to fight them would have probably gotten you killed.

So your conclusion about railroading wasn't actually wrong, but I figured I'd expand on the details since I just closed that thread a few minutes ago.

>>45300340
Sub plots cannot be ignored if you never had a chance to realize they existed soon enough to affect them.

>>45300350
She was given asylum in Ramla as soon as the players were leaving town (which was ASAP since business concluded)
>>
>>45300331
>For some reason JQOP is doing things round by round instead of abstractedly with the NPCs killing each other off-screen, which I would have done instead.
Because that would prevent the PC from directly interfering in the fights between the other NPCs and thus saving an ally or scoring a cheap hit on an enemy. It also prevents the enemy NPCs helping jumping between fights to support each other when one of them is confronted with the PC or for them to be then beaten down by one of the ally NPCs.

For example, this was necessary when the PC was immobilized at the start of the fight, so he had to be defended by another NPC and then saved the same NPC from taking a possibly fatal hit the moment he could move again. Later there's the part where the PC was about to kill an enemy NPC and a second enemy NPC got in his way. The next round the PC was having a hard time after killing the first enemy, so an allied NPC dropped in with a surprise attack and saved him.

All of this wouldn't have worked organically if it happened off-screen.
>>
>>45300463
Also, we're really goddamn outgunned. Last episode/session we finally got rid of someone who was basically the Terminator on ultra steroids. We shot him with a black hole and it nearly still didn't work.
Next time, we can FINALLY get started on Alura, who's got a whole shitload of arcane shit going on.
>>
>>45300408

The other problem is that JQOP is resolving EVERY character subplot at once. The good thing is that it shows in the way the people are fighting. The bad news is that this takes FOREVER TO RESOLVE.

The big sign that this is an actual battle is how the characters are fighting. In a tabletop game, characters don't move when it's not their turn. Here, the posts are literally "Now this guy is moving, and people are reacting to him." and the actions on the side stop while focus is on one particular skirmish.

When fudging, all the conflicts would resolve simultaneously. If I Was writing, there would just be a big explosion off to one side and one guy would have killed the other guy. Here, the PC can actually run around and interfere with EVERYONE ELSE.

The absolute worst part is that one of the enemies throws around an RPer's bane, status effects. One ally got hit by a blind(?) spell, and he spent around three turns more-or-less helpless, because he was completely blind. This is shit that actually happens on the tabletop, but tabletop resolves things a lot faster.

Then you have really weird fluke results like the hands-down toughest (Not the strongest, specifically the toughest) allied guy getting blown up by lucky enemy criticals. The scene is strange and kind of anticlimatic because sometimes tabletop games get strange and anticlimatic results.

He is very clearly playing out the actual battle, props to him, but it's really slow.
>>
>>45300529
God, yes. I really dislike the crit system in JQ.
Hecate ;_;
>>
>>45300529

This is why you don't allow save-and-die spells. Is there a reason it wasn't cast on the QMC?
>>
>>45300586

The QMC seems to be immune to a lot of mental fuckery, which has turned up as a plot point. His direct antagonist has the same ability, so it seems to be a Joker thing.

There is a scene where a large area is engulfed by a bioweapon, and they're the only two people who don't get mutated or dissolved.
>>
>>45300529

Is there a reason in-universe that things happen this way, or are we just seeing the seams of what happens when you try writing fiction that plays by game rules? I kinda agree with you, I'd keep tight narrative focus on whatever the character's fighting up to the moment where he maybe sees an ally in trouble and has to make a choice between pressing an advantage now or giving his opponent a chance to recover in order to keep someone alive. What do I know, I never bothered with a proper stat system for any quest I ever ran and I was never near JQOP's playerbase.
>>
>>45300643

I think it's the latter. Try running a regular Pathfinder combat between two groups in a Quest format, and you have a logistical nightmare.
>>
>>45300496
>Next time, we can FINALLY get started on Alura, who's got a whole shitload of arcane shit going on.
Depends. Anima just gobbled down the most lethal chemical weapon to exist in the setting. She's probably fucked at this point.

>>45300586
The MC is resistant to most status effects. Not perfectly, but it's not worth using it on him since there's no guarantee it'll work.
>>
And after this, we'll still have to face Pazuzu. And probably the White Joker.
Odds are we'll have a confrontation with the Black Joker, too.
>>
>>45300739
White Joker fucked off somewhere and the Black Joker with him. We probably won't be seeing them until we leave the Diadem.
>>
>>45300785

Some of the sexual stuff in Joker is actually kind of fucked up. There's objectification of women, and then there's what Naoya is going to do to Mio. Let's not even get into what's up with the whole Hyades thing.

I can't tell whether it depicts guys are basically being hormone-driven morons looking for women to white-knight, or that women are fundamentally manipulative and evil.
>>
>>45300815
Why do you always have to bring this up in the most awkward tangent possible?
>>
>>45300815
Would you fuck off already? You bring this up every time you feel like you can and everyone always gives you the same response. It's aggravating at this point.
>>
>>45300815
God, anon, why do you keep on bringing up the women thing?

I mean, it's fucked up. Now what? Where's the discussion going from there on out?
We had a good thing going here and you ruined it. Jerk.
>>
>>45300835
>>45300855
>>45300859

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>45300815
>Naoya
>Mio
>Hyades
Sounds like a shitty weaboo quest. Glad I didn't pick it up.
>>
>>45300859

>We had a good thing going here and you ruined it. Jerk.

No you didn't.
>>
>>45300882

Well, yeah. It's supposed to be like a seinen anime, the way Mobile X Destiny was a battle harem, DXQ is a lighter seinen (possibly shonen) series and Card Priestess is a traditional magical girl series.

There are probably more Quests that try to capture that 'original anime' feeling, but none of them come to mind right now. I'm excluding the ones based on licensed properties, but including DXQ because it's just a setting/game system.
>>
>>45300939

Wait, there's Ryuukusa and AToW as well. No actual magazine would carry all of the above series, because the target audience is so different.
>>
>>45300964
>AToW
Was it this one or that AToH or something that was essentially Attack on Titan Crossover with Pokémon?
>>
>>45300994

I think that one was literally called Attack on Pokemon Hunter. AToW is A Tale of Witches.

Princess Guard is also an anime-ish one, but it gets really boring at times. I personally wish that we had more quests like these, because right now only Joker Quest does the male-oriented seinen manga thing. The problem is that it doesn't make for light reading and there aren't any other quests.

I would run one, but everything falls apart once I think about how to get the players actually involved. I did think Cyberpunk Courier reminded me strangely of Darker Than Black. No, there weren't any superpowers, but each Agent had a unique 'gimmick' (Triggerman, rigger and so on) that was less like Shadowrun and more like their personal area of excellence, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>45300994
>Attack on Titan Crossover with Pokémon
That's AToH. AToW is A Tale of Witches, a quest about young witches going to a witch school in an extremely detailed nobledark setting.
>>
>>45301060
Once I've done my SoL quest (I'm aiming for 30-35 threads at most) I'm considering doing a "Seinen" quest in a roman setting, but that's ways off.
>>
>>45301105

Are you the guy who wanted to do GARO in Rome? Because we've seen GARO in Italy and GARO in ancient Japan, so there's precedent at least.

I'm a sucker for waifus. I want to do a dark urban fantasy quest based on Japanese misintepretation of Christianity/Catholicism. Demon-hunters and nuns with guns. I think there's an actual genre for this, but I want it to be low-key instead of vampires vampires vampires.
>>
>>45301160
>Are you the guy who wanted to do GARO in Rome?
Can't say I am, although thanks for giving me something new to watch.
>>
>>45300692
This. Dear fucking G-d this. I don't know what I was thinking, okay maybe I do know but that doesn't make it any better, and running rounds has proved difficult. In too deep now to sweep it all away, though.

Still having fun with the outcome even if the process is resource consuming on the QMing side though.
>>
>>45301215
>G-d
When did we start censoring that word?
>>
>>45301160
>Are you the guy who wanted to do GARO in Rome?
No, that was me. Still not quite gotten around to running that yet. Keep deciding I don't have enough details about culture, pictures, and shit like that stocked up.
>>
>>45301060
>Everything falls apart once I think about how to get players involved.

/tg/ is really pretty shit of an environment for this, I've noticed. You've got 4-6 threads or so to get newcomers before people start getting turned off, and you can't really discuss your quest or content/concept in wqdt without people flipping their shit and complaining about shills.

The few quests (and QMs) who do actually get stuff discussed are things like Joker (has been running forever. and stuck in one place forever.) or AToW which... Doesn't actually get talked about so much as referenced as cool, and then complained about because Hexer never runs.

The only actual discussion about quests in the past few months started when review anon showed up, and that's not even a discussion.
>>
>>45301215
God
>>
File: God.gif (953 KB, 330x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
God.gif
953 KB, 330x300
>>45301215
>>
>>45301231
My phone's autocorrect learning from me texting with relatives where I present myself as a slightly more respectful shekel counter than I am, at least when I remember to be
>>
>>45301296
Ah, makes sense.
>>
>>45301312
Though given my love hate relationship with d20 it might as well deserve a level of religious reverence.
>>
If i want to learn how2quest, what are the best superhero quests available?
>>
>>45301574
Homeless Mutant.
>>
File: 1449090670598.png (165 KB, 600x675) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1449090670598.png
165 KB, 600x675
>>45301574
>>
>>45300815
>There's objectification of women, and then there's what Naoya is going to do to Mio. Let's not even get into what's up with the whole Hyades thing.
>I can't tell whether it depicts guys are basically being hormone-driven morons looking for women to white-knight, or that women are fundamentally manipulative and evil.

>waah waah misogyny
Who gives a fuck?
>>
>>45301829
>who gives a fuck?
The ones who expect better writing and creativity than that?
>>
>>45301861
Dunno why'd you expect that when you are reading a grim seinen anime quest. Seems counter intuitive.
>>
>>45301861
That's a nice argument that has absolutely fucking nothing to do with your criticism of the quest. It triggers you, so you say it's bad writing.

If you want to police JQOPs thoughts or what makes his dick hard at least be open about it.
>>
File: 1451261616348.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451261616348.gif
89 KB, 600x450
>>45301888
>>45301896
>waah waah anon doesn't like my waifu QM and my favorite quest
>waah waah
>>
>>45300043
That's interesting.

Probably stealing.
>>
>>45301923
I pity the idiots that fall for this bait.
>>
>>45301964
I mean one of the things he linked to was shitting on the quest. I don't think he even read the posts.
>>
>>45301896
What makes your dick hard is between you, your wife, and your bucket full of tissues.

Not a blue board.
>>
It's really unfortunate when you realize your fanbase doesn't build, but dwindle from your first thread.

Your fanbase only builds if it's awesomely written and appeals to /tg/'s eclectic tastes.
>>
>>45302141
>Eclectic tastes
Waifus and/or comfy slice of life? Pretty sure that's it.
>>
>>45302181
and food porn.
>>
>>45302181
>>45302203
>Waifus
>comfy slice of life
>food porn
Sounds like a Hobbit Quest in the Shire some anon suggested a week or two back.
>>
Before we fall off board, who are the next few review anon is covering next weekend?
>>
>>45302235
I think they said they were working on Crusader a few days ago. Other than that, I think Eclipsed Moon was what they were trying to do next.
>>
>>45302235
>>45302313
Crusader and Republic Commando
Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 31
Thread DB ID: 509645



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.