[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General - /gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 36

File: 1454436925114.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1454436925114.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
Old Thread:
>>45176766
>>45176766
>>45176766
>>
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/encounter-red-lantern-green-lantern.html
For paralysis, I want with a somewhat gimmicky approach.
>>
*burps*
>>
>>45257828
Basic Universal Roleplay System?
>>
>>45257602
Not bad. Trying to fight when the light is green and freeze when it turns would be damn cool.

Can't help but think adding a yellow warning light might add to it. 1d seconds of yellow light before it goes red, so if you do anything in yellow you might be able to get attacks at people that don't want to move in case the next second is red.

Makes it risk-reward. Do you push your luck on yellow and attack hard, or play it careful and avoid getting caught moving?
>>
>>45258486
That's a possibility I was thinking about, but I was thinking with the typical pace of combat, making it that slow might ruin the fight... An exploit I just thought of though... either way, it somewhat encourages people to use aims or concentrates if they are in that position... 3ish seconds of hellish straining for some people, 3 seconds of free aims for others.
>>
So, it says in UltraTech you can't combine Monoblades and Vibroblades. I assume this is because monoblades already have an armour divisor of (10).

But GURPSgen, I want to know, what should the stats of a mono vibroblade be? Ignores armour? Just more damage? I want them in my setting, but I have no idea how to stat them.
>>
>>45258719
Armor divisor (50) seems about right. Given time, plenty of replacement blades and a whole lot of nothing else to do you could take apart a battleship with one.
>>
>>45258786
Armour Divisor (50)? Jesus, I thought it only went up to (10). Alright, that seems like it would work. I'm just going to go off on a whim and say they should cost 50x regular price.
>>
>>45258719
I think they can't be combined because monowire makes vibro redundant, not out of any desire for game balance (though I'm sure that may have played into it). Vibro gets the armor divisor because the hyperfast vibrations allow the molecules on the blade's edge to, basically, shove the molecules of whatever they're hitting out of the way in a more efficient manner. Monowire blades don't really benefit from that, though, because they're only a molecule wide to start with; their structure divides things smoothly enough on the molecular level without assistance.

At least that's this Anon's interpretation. I'm no scientist, let alone a one certified to talk about the result of combining two hypothetical technologies.
>>
Hi, /gurpsgen/.

I'm having a hard time understanding the difficulty modifiers for distance and movement speed for ranged weapons. Can someone explain to me a more slam bang way to understand this?
>>
>>45259448
Measure the distance between the shooter and the target, then reference the chart. Say they're 10 meters away, you would look up the penalty for being 10 meters away, and then apply that to the shooter's skill.
>>
>>45258942
Naw, you could combine an ultra-fine blade with a vibrating blade.

With a very, very narrow blade the challenge is less getting it into material then it is overcoming the friction of the material on the sides of the blade.

The oscillating blade prevents that problem by keeping the blade in motion. I could see doing so if you, for some reason, wanted to do micro-scale mechanical engraving.

Keep in mind that these should be pretty fragile, however. Ultra-fine blades have very little material supporting them, so even if made from very strong materials tend to last only a short time when carefully used as a tool. Used as a weapon, well, you'd get one hit in.

You could get some around that by using either automatically advancing replacement blade or a wire edge that automatically feeds fresh wire of a spool.
>>
>>45259494

So a monowire chainsaw?
>>
>>45259448
As >>45259462 said, for still targets you just look up the distance in the Linear Range column. For targets that are overly mobile, do the same, but look up their speed instead of their distance; taking a potshot at a car zooming by at 70 yd/sec, for example, gives the attack roll at -9. For target's that are both distant *and* mobile, add the two values together before looking up the penalty. To find a penalty for firing at a car going 30 yd/sec while it's still 70 yards away, for example, add 70 (the distance) and 30 (the velocity) for a total of 100; going by the table, that's a -10 modifier.

Note that to keep down the math in combat, you normally don't worry about speed penalties until they get sizable. Similarly, I don't remember if this is RAW or a houserule, but only use relative velocities; two cars speeding down the highway at 70 yd/sec don't have a penalty to attack each other.
>>
>>45259636
>I don't remember if this is RAW or a houserule, but only use relative velocities; two cars speeding down the highway at 70 yd/sec don't have a penalty to attack each other.
You're right, I beleive that's what is written in the book, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>45259669
Can never be too sure, there have been similar oversights in the past, i.e. SM modifiers to attack.
>>
>>45259462
>>45259636
I'll try to wrap my mind around it. I really want to learn this, but there's something about this that makes my brain not want to learn it.

I think it's because I'm thinking: if I'm shooting someone that's a football field away, do I really deserve -10 difficulty? What if he's just standing there waiting to get shot? What about -8 for 50 yards away? Is it really that hard?

I'm reading GURPS Lite now, maybe I'll look through GURPS Dummies for more insight.
>>
>>45259955
GURPS light is pretty good, it's what I started off on.

Also, just as a thing, under combat conditions, less than one in every ten shots hit their intended target from ranges of about 10 meters. It's extremely difficult to shoot things under combat conditions, and if you are shooting something stationary a football field away under non-combat conditions, you'd get a +5 for not being under combat conditions, and probably another +5-ish for aiming.
>>
>>45259955
I wasn't paying attention to the conversation, but I think it is -10 if you are just shooting blindly. It's almost always assumed you are going to aim for at least one second if not more if trying to shoot someone at that distance, at least, that's what I assume, and that comes out to a bonus of normally +5 for taking three seconds give or take for especially good or bad guns.
>>
>>45260005
I should have mentioned, the less than one in every ten shots is from real life statistics, not game statistics. Firefights usually waste a lot of ammo, especially when you don't have time to aim and steady yourself.
>>
last page bampu
>>
My game should have started 5 minutes ago, but one player didn't have a sheet ready, and one is 35 minutes late. c:
>>
File: tumblr_nt8pm2cwjH1qlfjv8o1_1280.jpg (57KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt8pm2cwjH1qlfjv8o1_1280.jpg
57KB, 707x1000px
Working out a set of villains for that supers/infinite worlds game, modeled after "greys" Kind of. Spiritually; they'll look more like grey-skinned elves than anything.

Anyways, thoughts are that they should focus on psionics, and high (9-10^, maybe rare 11) tech. Due to the nature of parachronic travel in the setting, they'd have established/co-opted a multinational corporation to start producing the materiel they need for operations; they can only sneak maybe a truckload of stuff into the world every now and then, so they have to produce locally.

Anyways, modus operandi would be an "alien conspiracy" approach, though in this case the aliens are alternate timeline humans, jacked up with all kinds of biotech so they aren't quite so recognizable anymore.

For generic thugs they'd use either kidnapped&brainwashed local humans, outfitted with sci-fi bodysuit armor (with helmets!) and guns. Their commanders for missions/bases are the original Otherverse Humans, who possess some psionic powers, but are generally quite frail.

Still figuring out what other sorts of things they should have access to. Memetech maybe? Androids are an option, but I think they might prefer organics for anything that requires intelligence-maybe they had a robot war or something.

The important thing is that they make for cool fights, and I think "supers vs. evil swat team" should hit that. I can give them UAVs to attack the protagonists with, too.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/
I recently reread the prologue of Fate/Stay Night, in which at one point the dynamics of a sword vs. lance fight are explained (keeping enemy out of range by slashing with the lance, thrusting to not be parried etc.).
The fight is, in particular, interesting due to the forcing and use of openings, driving the enemy back and other details such as these. It read very dynamic.
Now, my fights tend to be a bit boring, as long there aren't any gimmicks (scenery, reinforcements, "stage hazards") involved. GURPS high lethality is kind of a blessing regarding this issue, as fights don't become a huge damage sponge drag. However, I want to make my fights be as dynamic as the one from the prologue. Are there rules for driving back enemies? Do I just have players dodge back to avoid sweeps (in contrast to having their stomach slashed when stationary or sides hit when advancing) and successful hits have the defending/blocking player move back a hex?
I really want to avoid having the combatants just standing in the same hexes, hacking at each other until one goes down. I want them to move.
>>
>>45263294
There are rules for both of those. Blunt weapons push someone back for every (max hp-2) damage they do, including that which is absorbed by DR, and some attacks can have double knock back (cutting can knock back in very rare circumstances, and I think there are optional rules to blow people away with guns.) A retreat gives a +3 to one dodge and can be used once per turn and requires someone to move a space (not necessarily backwards, actually.) Martial arts has a special ability called "roll with blows" someone can learn to take much less injury for much greater knock back.
>>
Speaking of Face/Off Night, anyone ever try running a Grail War? Seems like it could be fun. Either have the players make their characters and servants, or have the DM make seven and dish them out randomly.
>>
File: face off night.jpg (261KB, 1000x1366px) Image search: [Google]
face off night.jpg
261KB, 1000x1366px
>>45263673
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1475x893px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1475x893px
In one of the last threads, I threw some ideas to increase the scale of tactical combat without making it as abstract as Mass Combat. It was mostly about bigger hexes, longer turns and mook squads treated as single entities. But I still thought that hexes limit the size of battleground - if you make 10-yard hexes, then 20x20 map is still going to be just 200x200 yards, and if we make hexes bigger, then the whole thing will be too imprecise. I gave it some thought recently, and made a simple solution - this type of combat doesn't needs hexes at all! In offline games, you can just set some scale (1 centimeter = 10 meters) and just measure distances with a tape measure, while virtual tabletops such as Maptool already do that job for you. Making maps is also easy - in offline games, you can draw simple maps on battle mat with markers ("this blob is forest, this line is road, those squares are buildings"), and in Maptool you can either use textured brushes or just take an image from Google Maps. Let's say that mat has size of 1x1 meter - it means the whole battleground will be 1 square kilometer, more than enough space for several squads and handful of vehicles.

Then I gave it some more thought. You can actually apply the same idea for smaller skirmishes with 1-second turns. Hexes are extremely useful in melee combat, which requires precise movement and facing, but I always felt that they limit me too much in outdoors firefights. 50x50 hex map is barely manageable even in virtual tabletops, and you will still have the measly 50-yard range. Now, if I throw the hexes away and only reserve them for indoor shootouts, this would make things much more neat. My current campaign is on hiatus, but it has a perfect opportunity to try this idea out. The players may at one point have to assault a mansion of crime boss. Currently, it is an ugly building on a tiny plot surrounded by large wall, but if I remove the hexes and increase the scale, I will easily turn it into nice rancho.
>>
>>45263294
Adding onto >>45263517, there are a few other options to look at. Martial Arts also includes some optional rules for GMs that want to run hyper-mobile fights like chambara movies (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon type stuff with lots of movement, acrobatics, and wires); check page 128 for that.

Pyramid has produced a few things that might be useful to you in that they promote smart movement and positioning vs. staying put OR following a set program of movement. The first one is from the Ten Tweaks for Combat article from the first Alternate GURPS issue. Among those ten tweaks is a new rule that makes closing in on your opponent more painful. IIRC, the short version is that closer enemies are harder to defend against; this has the effect of making players think about their movement more so it wont be step in attack > retreat > step in attack > retreat > etc. etc. There's also the Last Gasp system that introduces Action Points – a measurement of your short-term stamina – and managing AP will often require combatants to catch their breath; as catching your breath in stabbing range is less than ideal, this will also promote player movement.
>>
>>45263795
I wonder if there are any map tools that would let you zoom in and out while maintaining consistent distance measurement. That seems like it would be ideal with images like yours.
>>
I like catgirls!
>>
How much of a discount would you give for a limitation on Compartmentalized Mind that only lets the extra mind(s) Evaluate during combat?
>>
File: asd.jpg (199KB, 822x430px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
199KB, 822x430px
>>45263795

In Squad Leader, a game where the largest unit is 10 troops, each hex is 40 yds/meters.

In the old Panzerblitz style games, a unit is 40-120 men or 4-6 vehicles, at 250 yards to a hex.

10 yards a hex is almost 1:1 skirmish level.
>>
>>45268202
Based on GURPS: Psionic Powers, I'd eyeball it at -60% to -80%. At the same time, I feel there's a better way to approach this problem. Evaluate is, at it's core, Aiming for melee attacks; you spend a turn, up to a maximum of three turns, getting a bonus to your upcoming attack roll. You're trading turns for skill, basically. If you can do that every single turn along with your actual action, that effectively comes out to a free +1 to hit (every round, you can Evaluate > Attack) plus further conditional +1s to hit if you didn't attack last turn (max +3).

Considering that even at the maximum discount of -80% Compartmentalized Mind is 10 points, it's probably cheaper to just buy extra skill levels and slap on an Accessibility limitation for +2/+3.
>>
If a single attack drops you by several multiples of your HP (e.g. from full HP to -2xHP), do you make multiple HT rolls or just one? I would assume the former, but the rules aren't completely clear.
>>
>>45270323
You roll *when you pass each threshold*. If you pass three or four at once, you roll for each one.
>>
I know this ain't no request thread but does anyone happen to have a copy of the last two DF pdfs? I wasn't entirely happy with Glittering Prizes so I'd like to give 'em a look before I shell out cash.
>>
>>45272501
Not the original poster, but do you think that incurring a penalty for each threshold would be reasonable? I was thinking that it would go something like 0, -2, -4, -6,
>>
>>45272572
Idk man, I honestly prefer to stick with RAW. If that means six rolls, then I roll six times. Your odds are probably better that way anyhow.
>>
>>45272862
You'd only roll once though. I'm not sure what's more realistic in that sense, just having a static death save, or a progressive one that gets harder as you take more damage.
>>
>>45272901
At worst you only ever make 4, so it's not like you'd have an endless number of them to do.
>>
>>45272901
Tbh, I don't think a progressive penalty is a good move. Yes, it'll save time, but it will also make character death more likely. While I'm not keen on GM intervention (I generally take the oldschool stance of being a fairly neutral adjudicator when GMing), character death in any RPG, GURPS especially, can be a painful affair. Characters take a fair bit of effort to create, even with templates, and unless you're happy to have Bob replaced with Bob2 (personally, that's a no-no) I don't think it's a smart move. You'll just frustrate your players - instead of a tense series of (probably) reasonable chance rolls, they're now relying on one lower chanced roll.

That's just my opinion though, and you've got to do what works best for you and your group.
>>
>>45272862
You only roll at every full -HP*X negative, and die automatically at -HP*5.

For someone with 10 HT it's worse to roll once at -6 then to roll 4 times unmodified. At -6 they have a 1.4% chance to live, vs a 6.25% for 4 flat rolls.
>>
>>45274346
I'm not planning on making a meat grinder, but I'm not too keen on having the only one death save thing with no penalty. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Though, the more I think about it, maybe it's supposed to be that at those points you're unconscious anyways (Because really, no one is going to make those HT rolls every second forever) and most likely going to bleed out anyways.

Speaking of bleeding, do you bleed for each separate wound, or is it just cumulative for the penalty to fix it and stop it or whatever?
>>
>>45274848
It's not that complicated.

If you are wounded, generally by cutting, impaling and periceing, you are bleeding. You don't keep track of separate wounds, you just have a general 'bleeding' condition.

When bleeding you roll HT every 60 seconds, at -1 per every 5 points of lost HP. Crit and you stop bleeding. Succeed and you don't take any HP loss from bleeding but keep bleeding unless you've succeeded 3 times, then you aren't bleeding anymore.. Fail and you lose 1 HP and keep bleeding, crit fail and you lose 3 HP.

It's up to the GM what counts as a wound serious enough to bleed. You can stop bleeding with first aid.
>>
>>45274957
Okay, that makes sense, I suppose. Since you're more likely to crit fail with higher penalties and all, thus more bleeding damage.
>>
>>45274848

You don't roll to see if you pass out if you manage to avoid doing anything strenuous. Other then that, yeah, HT rolls every second to stay up mean even a tough SOB won't be able to fight long at negative HP.

It's not just one roll, you roll every time you pass a -xHP threshold, even if it happens in one attack.
>>
>>45274848
>>45274957
>>45274414

Keep in mind that you don't die instantly if you fail a HT roll to avoid death. If you miss it by 1 or 2 you are mortally wounded but not dead. It's an HT roll every half hour or you die, with only a critical successes ending the condition and letting you recover on your own. Otherwise, it's surgery. (Granted, with decent Regeneration your mutant healing factor might save you if you can hold on long enough.)
>>
>>45275005
Hard To Kill gives you a buffer that makes you pass out, seemingly dead, then recover at the end of your normal passed out time.
>>
So, I'm sort of new to tg, I've gone through most of a D&D campaign with a friend as GM, I've been reading up on GURPS and i like how the system can be applied to most settings. I'm considering being GM for my first time and writing a GURPS campaign for my friends. Can anyone offer up some advice for a first time GM?
>>
>>45277784
Restrict options, through the use of templates and simplified (or just basic set) combat rules. Then open up after everyone's had some time to ground themselves. Strictly speaking this isn't necessary if your group is good at gurps, but it'll help GURPS Action 2 is particularly helpful at this, it's a pile of GM-side rules to make things flow more quickly.

A lot of other stuff is more specific to what particular sort of campaign you want to run.
>>
>>45277784
Get your story straight, and then worry about the rules.

If you have a story you want to tell, tell it. And then use the gurps rules to translate that to your players through the game. You will get bogged down in rules if you approach things from the back end.

Always ask what gurps can do for you, not what you can do in gurps.
>>
Anybody got Dungeon Fantasy Treasure 2? If so, could you add it to the archive?
>>
>>45277784
Get a hold of How to Be a GURPS GM. It's incredibly useful for newbies.

Learn that "yes but" or "yes and" kills the GURPS game; there will always be options and concepts that are wholly unsuited for your campaign. Say no and wield the banhammer when necessary

Realize your sweet spot of crunch may not equal your group's sweet spot; be willing to compromise on how detailed the game will be.
>>
>>45262216
Once the session got started, not very much of note occurred.
A new player joined, with a character named Wynter. The new character doesn't have much personality, but maybe that's because I was getting frustrated that it was taking over two hours to finish a character sheet when the class was already decided before the session... I wish she did the character sheet ahead of time too, but oh well! I said she can work on 5 quirks and a backstory in the downtime to get some more points.

Sophie, a very self unaware Artificer who with Corduroy, an innkeeper that doesn't want to be tied down with his family business, rescued a rich family in the previous session (back in the last week of December,) was annoying the snot out of everyone by getting up early. She was kicked out of the tavern early and decided to go do some morning chemistry to shake the sleepies away.
However, the shop keeper who sells empty bottles was mad at Sophie for some reason, who managed to scrounge up some bottles anyway. She went out of town to look for ingredients for minor potions.

Meanwhile, Corduroy was asked by the rich family to go retrieve a suitcase that contained important business information, and was tossed away back in the forest where they were kidnapped.

Wynter shows up, for no reason but to say she is tired and searching for "something," and wants to find a place to sleep.

Corduroy somehow overheard this conversation and invited her to his tavern.

Sophie found someone that wanted a bunch of documents burned for money, and so she agreed happily as she is a pyromaniac.

Later that evening, after burning everything in front of the glass shop and playing loud music on a gizmo called a "music box," when Sophie went back to the tavern she asked if anyone else found work, and was told about the briefcase.

The next day the party went out to the woods to bury the briefcase.
>>
>>45278372
When the group entered the forest, they fought a handful of rats with no injuries. This was because Wynter can understand the speech of animals and heard some rats plotting to attack the party for no discernible reason.

Late, travelling without incident, they encountered wolves trying to sneak up on them, but they noticed before it was too late. Sophie's ridiculous weight training pays off as she can now carry her 70 pounds of lab equipment without being over-encumbered, and shows off with her fencing in the middle of a fight. Wynter receives a bad bite, but this is fixed after the battle with a gizmo provided potion that Sophie invented.

Sophie decided to bury the ashes of the documents she burned yesterday here by digging a hole and burying the wolves' bodies as well. She remarked how great it was that her companions decided to keep a shovel around for a day walk.

The final confrontation was a large group of dinomen, over 5 of them. Corduroy wanted to sneak around them and get the chest. Sophie wanted to start a bonfire to get their attention, and use a trap she built with invention skill... "inventing" a trip wire out of a rope, and then "inventing" caltrops from the empty potion bottle. Wynter having book learned wisdom in strategy evaluated that Sophie's plan would work better... but the plan failed because somehow the dinomen resisted the bonfire lure.

Sophie mad that her perfect trap failed shot at the more inordinately decorated leader from a safe place, almost killing him, but not quite. He straggled off, but ordered the men to all attack at once.

All of the men crossed the tripwire at the same time, all failing their contest of perception versus Sophie's traps, and landed face first in a pile of glass shards.... except for one, which Corduroy took out in one good shot. The fight was a complete curb stomp as the enemies couldn't recover from their mental stun.
>>
>>45278372
Noticed the last line is wrong... should be "bury the ashes and find the suitcase"
>>45278550
So Sophie asked if they should take one hostage because she thought it would be good to know about the leader who ran away. The rest of the party disagreed. Sophie cackled gleefully as she piled the dead bodies on the lure fire, the briefcase was found nearby, and they headed home without incident.

The end.
>>
>>45277857
>>45277895
>>45278128
Thanks, great advice!
>>
So I've just got my nose into powers, it's actually pretty fucking amazing conceptually.

A thought though - I'm considering running a campaign where every ability is variable and costs FP by default, using the rules where less damage = less FP. Then I'd allow 'does not cost fatigue' for an expensive modifier.

Does this sound like it would work? Anything to watch out for?
>>
>>45281959
Sounds good. If Costs FP is required in your campaign, I'd say Doesn't Cost FP should be worth +50% (the same as Cosmic, Breaks Rules). How much FP will things cost? 1 FP for every X points the advantage costs? Flat cost?

Also, just to make sure, PCs are getting the point discout for Costs FP, right? Even if it's a campaign decision, don't cheat the PCs out of points.
>>
>>45278372
>>45278550

Not bad. Meeting missions are always a mess, it seems like the players did a good enough job to put things together. Sophie got top billing here.
>>
File: Russia_Arms_Expo_2013_(531-49).jpg (8MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Russia_Arms_Expo_2013_(531-49).jpg
8MB, 5184x3456px
To Vehicular Anon: I finished APCs. Lots of fixes, Universal Carrier, new guns. I may stat some infantry mobility vehicles later (Casspir, L-ATV, GAZ Tigr), and I still need to stat post-war SPGs.

I also think that I have an excuse to include Teletank. It was based on T-26, which was in turn a copy of British Vickers Mk. E, which was sold all over the world, with several other countries basing their tanks on it. So it's a pretty iconic vehicle, and it may be reasonably bought by adventurers, so there's it.
>>
>>45282842
Dammit, forgot link
http://rghost dot net/6thgDZVtZ
>>
>>45281959
You could require players to pay for the strongest version of the ability they could want with the Costs FP limitation set to the highest value the advantage allows and Variability modifiers. If for example they buy a 3d crushing innate attack that costs 6 FP, and they only want to do 1d, they could pay 2 FP.

The only problem is that buying off the costs FP Limitation is not that expensive. Maybe they need to pay double in the form of acquiring some kind of disadvantage whenever costs FP modifier is bought off? Then they can decide if they prefer the disadvantage and keep it, or pay it off later with more points?

Another way, since "Costs FP" has such a piddly discount, you could make it match "Reduced FP Costs" large +20% anount, so the fact that players have to buy things with Costs FP means they get a big price discount, but it also means they will be needing 4 times as much points to buy it off.... but this might make some incredibly powerful advantages too easily in reach... but you could always veto them I guess.

That being said, anytime I take a swing at changing a core mechanic, I know that I should always be prepared to exercise veto power if unintentional bugs come crawling out of the works.
>>
What's the best way to make a monster have such tough skin that even a hand grenade won't easily dispose of it? I want to make a giant minotaur that is like 10ft tall that can eat bullets like candy.
>>
>>45283449
Lots and lots of Damage Resistance with the Tough Skin limitation.
>>
>>45283449
Around 15 DR, pump the HT up to around 14. At least 18 ST. Get some Fit and Hard to Kill/Subdues - add in Berserk too.

It'll die to a grenade, but not until it reduces the guy who threw it to a stain on the wall.
>>
>>45282842

Awesome, thank you.

I did a lengthy write-up of the M3 halftrack and it's main variants after I found a couple of good sources.

Also a couple of cars. Stanley 'steamer' runabout, Traction Avant, Austin Seven. Also changed a lot of HT scores after I looked at the previously published examples and realised they varied more than I thought. Added the fragile: combustible disadvantage to all the wood and cloth vehicles too.
>>
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/encounter-dream-eater-baku.html
I've finished my series on encounters with afflictions (Not going to do Heart Attack or Coma; they seem way too serious for a minor encounter to me)

I want to do a small article on how to use whips effectively. Haven't spent a lot of (read: any) time doing research on it yet, but I plan on listing critical techniques, perks, and advantages to help make whip users better, And stats for a few stronger whips than the default sw-2(0.5) crushing whip in the book. Anyone have any tips for starters in that regard?
>>
File: Franz.png (700KB, 568x1496px) Image search: [Google]
Franz.png
700KB, 568x1496px
>>45284134
Actually, whips are not about damage, they're about utility. You use a whip to disarm enemies, entangle them, crack the whip to make them drop the stuff they're holding. Damage is afterthought. So, hilariously, whips are most suitable for pacifist characters. BDSM - safe, sane, consensual. I think that most useful whip techniques would be Crack and Targeted Attack (to target unarmored parts).

But if you want a damaging whip, you should look at kusari instead.
>>
>>45284686
Yup, I gather that the main focus is utility. I have a player right now that is getting discouraged because she really wanted a whip and it isn't turning out to be to work well, so I'm looking for ways to make it work better using stuff that already exists for whips, and trying to spin up a few ideas myself. I was thinking the kusari was a better choice too for the particular player, but meh; we can either retcon the character's point investment a tiny bit, I can invent some slightly stronger whips, or she can get used to not being king supreme at dealing damage and using the whip how GURPS wants it used, or some combination of those 3.
>>
>>45284913
Martail arts, silly weapons-Sword whips, yo!
>>
>>45284134
>>45284913
Technical Grappling's treatment of entangling weapons (including whips) is pretty cool; while the basic set lets such weapons do some pretty cool things, TG expands on this in many neat and useful ways. If you're hard up for adding more utility to whip-users, this can be the way to go.
>>
>>45284686
>>45284963
I think what I can do to start with is dissect Kusarijutsu from martial arts for the obviously useful abilities that work equally well on whips and kusaris.
I think I can say Grip Mastery can be used to switch between any of the 1-3 yard configurations of a whip as a free action.
It looks like a SW-3(1) whip could be made with Low Tech Companion 2, p 12.
According to cinematic weapons on P. 17, it seems like adding back another point of damage would be less than an entire CF added, so maybe .5 CF... all together, to get rid of the divisor penalty for armor and keep the damage the same, it seems like a fair price for the modified whip might be $85, not terrible. Unfortunately, apparently, RAW says that Fine/Very Fine *crushing* weapons don't get a damage bonus. But, since it is Swing damage, if she invests in some striking strength, it should get better raw damage quickly (and/or, I could just double the costs of fine/very fine upgrades and say that makes it good enough to get a +1 or +2.)

Adding the techniques from Kusarijutsu, and the ones mentioned here might round it out.
>>45285897
Don't own technical grappling unfortunately, (and I'm a buy friend, I know about the link.)
>>
>>45286016
I sampled TG and ended up using it in a game, so I bought it for reals. I think it's worth the cash if you've got stuff to blow on RPGs. I'm a huge crunchfag, though, and while you can use TG in a fast-paced game I'm pretty sure I liked it so much because of the amount of crunchy deliciousness I was able to get out of it.

>tl;dr I recommend it but I also realize that not everyone's as simulation-happy as me, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.
>>
>>45286218
I do like crunch. I can have fun just reading rules and the like and gluing them together and pulling them apart. My buyfriend modus operandi is to read through it, and if I think I want to use it at all for a real game, then I buy it, so I might look through it then.
>>45286016
Realized my math was off, dur, should be $90... but the way I'm cascading modifiers, I think $120 is actually even more correct... meaning a sw-1(1) whip might cost $480, and a sw(1) whip might cost $3,360.
>>
Page 10
>>
Hey folks, completely new to GURPS 4e (and GURPS in general) but the general feel of the rules and the repeated advocating of it all over /tg/ has got me interested.

I have a few questions though.

> I've seen a few sources claiming that one doesn't technically need anything to run GURPS 4e but the two core books since there are never new rules in them. Is this accurate? If I'm running a particularly exotic setting that doesn't fit into any of the splat-books then do I have nothing to gain from them?
> Would the ability to create, absorb, and manipulate one specific classical element be too broad and powerful to manage on an average starting character? There doesn't seem to be any blanket "elemental control" advantages so I fell you'd have to build it from a bunch of other things which could get expensive.
> What about other simple aspects of existence? I don't see anything in the core books about gravitational control or sonic/sound manipulation. Is this a case of me not recognizing less obvious routes that I should just be re-fluffing?
> If I want a character to only possess an ability because of a removable item they possess, and the removal of that item also inflicts weakness, what's the best combination of things to simulate that?

I realize that I'm asking to be spoon-fed here, so feel free to give me minimal tips or just suggestions if that sort of thing is looked down upon here. I'm just trying to get an idea of whether I can use GURPS for a specific concept I want to run and would rather get the quick answer than have to dumpster dive through numerous rules and books before finding the solution.
>>
File: 1446401031806.jpg (41KB, 520x536px) Image search: [Google]
1446401031806.jpg
41KB, 520x536px
>>45290753
For part three:

Gadget limitations on advantages, and key that item as the Mitigator to some disadvantages you have. I think mitigators are explained under Bad Sight (as glasses are a common one in the modern era)
>>
>>45290753
Some sourcebooks, like Martial Arts, add lots of new rules.

I think you could refluff Telekinesis as controlling Gravity. The mechanical effects should be similar.
>>
>>45290753
1) Yes you can run a game fine without any splats; if it's really weird it may not be perfect but it's pretty damn good. And setting-specific genre books were a thing in 3e. In 4e, splats are as generic as the core system; for example, if your game will have any focus on combat Martial Arts will be useful, doesn't matter if it's TL0 prehistoric wars or TL11^ swashbuckling with lightsabers. You can still run a combat game without MA as the basic rules are pretty good, but MA does add useful stuff.
2) Powers introduces two new advantages: Control and Create. On their own they're pretty lackluster if you're looking for combat effects (still great for utility though) but they're good bases for Alternate Abilities. Broad effects are also handled well by a limited Modular Abilities. Combining Modular Abilities and Alternate Abilities is pretty damn good for making a power spread.
3) See above; Control Gravity is a thing.
4) Gadget Advantage + Mitigated Disadvantage as per >>45290828
>>
>>45290828
That's a lot of terminology, but I think I get what you mean. Thanks!

>>45291070
I guess that could work, I'll have to take a closer look at telekinesis but I suspect that telekinesis is more about having specific control over a single target rather than loose control over an area (which is what I meant by gravitational control).

For those curious, the idea I want to run is a Bionicle game. Bionicle was pretty much my first obsession ever as a kid, so it'd be cool to pay tribute to it. The players would be a small Toa team set in some yet to be determined time-frame.>>45290828
That's a lot of terminology, but I think I get what you mean. Thanks!

>>45291070
I guess that could work, I'll have to take a closer look at telekinesis but I suspect that telekinesis is more about having specific control over a single target rather than loose control over an area (which is what I meant by gravitational control).

For those curious, the idea I want to run is a Bionicle game. Bionicle was pretty much my first obsession ever as a kid, so it'd be cool to pay tribute to it. The players would be a small Toa team set in some yet to be determined time-frame.
>>
>>45291688
Awesome, this is clears up all my questions. Thanks!

>>45291696
An sorry for this post, I somehow managed to double my text.
>>
>>45283449
Really depends on the grenade. Surviveing fragments isn't too hard with DR 10-15 if it's a basic Mk 2 that goes off three meters away.

Eating bullets is harder, they tend to have a lot more damage and armor divisor. For that I'd suggest just give it Tough Skin DR 40 (Ranged Only) with Hardened (2)
>>
>>45291898
Various injury tolerances-in particular Unliving and Homogenous-greatly reduce the damage dealt by piercing weapons (that is, guns). Injury Tolerance Damage Reduction also is an option, it divides final damage.

Not exactly what the original poster asked for, but worth a mention.
>>
>>45286469
>>45286218
>>45286016
>>45285897
>>45284963
>>45284913
>>45284686
This is what I put together. Does it look sound? Did I miss anything super critical?
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/how-to-whips.html
>>
>>45294069
Looks right to me, but I've never whipped it good so I couldn't spot if a problem came along.

A whip is best used as a secondary weapon, less to kill people and more good if you want to take people down alive, disarmed, and bleeding.
>>
>>45295521
Basically this - whip is a less-lethal weapon. When we see whip-wielding character, most of the time they are some kind of slavers or animal tamers if it's not a dominatrix or Indiana Jones - those kind of characters usually face enemies that have no DR, but should be kept alive. Also we have a real-life example of Cossacks - they used short whips instead of spurs when riding a horse, but they also used same whips when they were employed for riot control during revolutions. You can imagine some kind of Evil Guardsmen using whips instead of usual truncheons and polearms.

Then there is Indiana Jones who usually uses his whip as tool, not a weapon.
>>
If I have Extra Attack can I use it to kick, or is it restricted to only your off hand? Is Extra Attack worth it?

It seems like doubling your rate of fire is damn useful. Is there no penalty if you have ambidexterity and extra attack?
>>
>>45297434

>If I have Extra Attack can I use it to kick, or is it restricted to only your off hand?
Dude, read the advantage description. They even have an example of when non-hand limbs are used.

>Is Extra Attack worth it?
It's an option.
For demons, dragons, robots and what have you it's often the only legal option, if you for example want to breathe fire at range while simultaneously fighting in melee.

In most regular cases regarding humanoid adventurers (dual-wielding rogues, akimbo shooters, barbarians, martial artists, etc.) who do one thing well it's much cheaper to start with Dual-Weapon Attack technique and Off-Hand training perk, a total of 6 points. The only drawback is that you're only skilled with one particular weapon type, e.g. a pair of daggers, axes, or pistols. If you want to use a rapier and a pistol you need to pay 6 + 6 points to be proficient with both.

>It seems like doubling your rate of fire is damn useful.
You know what's also damn useful? A shield.
But yeah, dualwielding is an option. You're sacrificing your defenses or the added oomph you'd get from a two-handed weapon, but aside from that, no penalty.
>>
>>45297679
Do you lose the defense bonus if you beat people with a shield while getting stabby with the other hand?
>>
>>45297756

I like the way you think.

No, you don't lose your defense bonus. The only drawback is that shields have poor damage.
>>
>>45297789
Yeah, barely better then a punch kind of stings. Swing - 2 Cut for a sharp edge could work though, especially when it's a good shot to take first and convince the other guy to blow his best parry/block on.
>>
>>45297789
>>45298287

As per the FaQ, you can trade any attack off for a feint.

So, Dual-Weapon Attack, feint with your shield and strike with your pointy stick.
>>
gump
>>
File: forrest-gump-vietnam.jpg (667KB, 1443x813px) Image search: [Google]
forrest-gump-vietnam.jpg
667KB, 1443x813px
>>45299824
very much so the proof you can play a 9 int character, with stupendous levels of luck, Serendipity, and Intuition

Also, perk;
>Do exactly what the drill sergeant says
Forrest can do any task under the Soldier skill at maximum speed, assuming of course he was ordered to do so.
>>
>>45294069
Looks good. I'd suggest looking into substituting the Rapid Strike penalty instead of Fast Draw for readying the longer whips, but Fast Draw works, too. Not sure if you've read the Forgotten Realms Dark Elf Trilogy, but the main character's dad would interrupt spellcasting by cutting the caster's tongue out with a whip. I'd price that at either -9 or -10.
>>
>>45294069
For reducing readying time of whips, I had it require a perk. Since Quick Swap, Quick Sheathe, Reach Mastery, and Grip Mastery are all perks that remove the need to use a Ready action in combat, it seems right that a perk can shave off a second of readying. With a perk, short whips can attack every round while longer ones only have to wait a single round between attacks (which honestly isn't that bad; PCs with ranged weapons should be aiming and melee fights should be using feints instead of attacking every round). Quick Sheathe is also worth noting because it requires a Fast-Draw roll and can be combined with the Reverse Grip technique to immediately sheathe your weapon as a free action. Maybe the perk for whips could drop ready times by another second with a Fast-Draw roll? Or you could require two perks, one to remove one Ready action and another to remove a second Ready action with a Fast-Draw roll?
>>
>>45300124
I like those ideas. I was thinking a 10 point advantage, based on the fact that a technique to do something instantly is usually ten points (a -10 penalty for haste;) a five point version could work for the shorter whips, but it seems precedent for covering similar via perks exists, so that makes it cheaper.
>>
>>45300460
In that case, you are better off making a technique
>>
>>45290753
One of the older editions had "Obvious Focus" as a restriction/disadvantage for powers/spells. I haven't read any of the 4e books, but if there's something like that as an option, that would be your best bet.
>>
>>45300636
It could be a required disadvantage of unnatural feature maybe? "Always slightly damp" for water powers, or "often sweating profusely" for fire powers?
>>
>>45300685
It was more for things like super-tech, powered armour, items imbued with spells, that sort of stuff - where the ability obviously relies upon the item to work.
>>
>>45297789
Slams, baby, slams.
>>
File: economancery.png (41KB, 314x247px) Image search: [Google]
economancery.png
41KB, 314x247px
Are elemental wizards more powerful in unstable economies?

Is this why dragons hoard gold?
>>
>>45301619
I've always liked the explanation that dragons hoard gold because they are cold blooded and gold has good conductivity.
>>
File: lonely-prologue.jpg (78KB, 760x297px) Image search: [Google]
lonely-prologue.jpg
78KB, 760x297px
>>45301814
>>
Does anyone have the editable version of this?
>>
To make martial arts styles more of a thing, I'm thinking of making a few adjustments to the system and I want /tg/ to tell me if my ideas are stupid.

1) TBaM/WM is no longer a prerequisite for cinematic skills (but see #3).
2) Every martial art gets ONE and only one cinematic skill or major cinematic technique (minor cinematic techniques are still scattered about and repeated among many styles, because no one is going to bother learning a whole style to get the Fighting While Seated technique). The only way to train these skills/techniques up is by learning the associated style (but, again, see #3).
3) Once a character has learned at least 5/7/10 (I haven't decided yet) different styles, they can take TBaM/WM. TBaM/WM allows access to cinematic traits outside your learned styles; you should still probably pick up more styles because being able to invest points in the field is insanely useful, but even without, with a bit of downtime and unspent points, you can teach yourself all sorts of nifty cinematic things.

I'm hoping this will emulate fantasy action movies and vidya a bit more closely, where people have reasons to learn many different styles and each school comes with it's own unique awesome capstone skill or ability.
>>
>>45302987
I was also considerings something like basic and advanced styles that required or complemented skills and techniques from the requisite basic style; for example, to learn the style that teaches Flying Leap, the student bust already be trained in the style that teaches Power Blow, because Flying Leap has Power Blow as a prerequisite. Similarly, to be taught the style that teaches Invisibility Art, the student must show proficiency with Hypnotic Hands, not because that skill is RAW required to learn Invisibility Art but because the two are very strongly thematically linked.
>>
File: oh thats naaaasty.png (20KB, 344x130px) Image search: [Google]
oh thats naaaasty.png
20KB, 344x130px
Some of these more obscure perks are fucking nuts.

Anyone got the chance to use Natural Pocket?
>>
File: 8b2ofUW%255B1%255D[1].png (108KB, 1440x663px) Image search: [Google]
8b2ofUW%255B1%255D[1].png
108KB, 1440x663px
I wrote a blog post on a simple way to implement elemental resistance/weakness meta-traits, and worked an example for pokemon gen 1.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/ability-elemental-rock-scissors-paper.html
>>
>>45306787
never in a game, but I've keystered stuff to get it into jail once or twice. With enough stretching you can fit a cell phone in there, but I stuck with cigarettes and a lighter since I only did soft time.

That whole 'pull your cheeks apart and cough' thing isn't as universal as you'd expect, and it doesn't work perfectly, either.
>>
>>45309822
Yeah, but is it possible to fit a can of condensed milk in there?
>>
>>45310085
You'd be surprised what can fit in an asshole. A surprising amount of people get wine bottles stuck in there
>>
>>45311007
>>45310085
>>45309822
holy fuvk is this in character or in real life

because im not prepared for the DC80 escape artist check either way
>>
>>45305681
>>45302987

It's a bit complicated, but cool. It would be worth it for a pure martial arts game.
>>
>>45299847
>a 9 int character,
I hate to brake it to you anon, but as someone who's worked with those with different needs, I can safely say forest had at maximum 8 IQ.
>>
>>45313101
Hey, that's another 20 points.
>>
>>45313918
Well, he had decent will; arguably perception as well; so it's another 10~15 points.
>>
File: 800px-Checker_Taxi_Cab.jpg (68KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Checker_Taxi_Cab.jpg
68KB, 800x533px
>>45283930
I think we need some more vehicles in those categories:
- Civilian medium trucks. Probably some design from early XX century, and some modern European one.
- Luxury cars. Probably a modern stretch limo and older touring limousine. I already statted Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, so early vehicles are covered.
- Taxi cabs. London black cabs, and either a Checker Marathon, or Ford Crown Victoria (former is more iconic as taxi, but latter doubles as iconic police car)
>>
>>45314476
Good call. I've been pondering what category to put the Crown Vic under. Maybe 'fleet cars'?
>>
>>45313101
I don't know. His verbal skills fucking sucked and he wasn't a good judge of people but his technical skills weren't particularly compromised. I'd say IQ 9 with several disadvantages.
>>
Is there an advantage that lets other people benefit from your feints?
>>
>>45315426
seems like it would make more sense for an advantage that lets you benefit from other people's feints instead
>>
>>45314726
>Good call. I've been pondering what category to put the Crown Vic under. Maybe 'fleet cars'?

It's just a sedan. Police commonly used an upgraded version, and old police cars were often bought by cab companies, but the stock model wasn't all that different from a Taurus.
>>
>>45314726
>>45315644

Naw, fleet cars really works. Very few were sold at dealerships to people, almost all were sold or leased as fleets of police cars, taxi cabs and company cars.
>>
>>45315644

A sedan isn't really a class of car though, it's a body style. It could be a 'large car' (except there's a category of even larger cars, so that seems wrong) or a 'full-size car' (except that's an american term which doesn't translate well to cultures where people think of compacts as being fairly big).
>>
How does space-level tech GURPS stack up against systems like Stars Without Number or any other non-Star Wars or 40k system?

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I'm starting a sci-fi space exploration game soon, and want to know if I'd be better off relearning GURPS or picking up a new system for it.
>>
>>45316596
All I can say is that I am really not satisfied with laser weapons in GURPS 4E.
>>
>>45316596
Aside from the weapons it is a great fit. I ran a Starship Troopers/Armor/Old Man's War game that turned out very well.

Ultra-Tech sucks in comparison to the other tech books. It was one of the early books of the edition (it came out something like 8 or 9 years ago) so it's missing some of the rules stuff from the later versions (Cost Factor for example). Plus it isn't very generic or very balanced (which was a bit of a problem with some of the very early books) which is an issue for weapons specifically and armor slightly less so (TL 8 firearms can outperform TL 9 or even TL 10 versions). There is a Pyramid article that redoes laser design but I haven't used it.

I just generally take High-Tech, lower the weights a bit, maybe reduce Rcl, increase damage a bit, increase shots, maybe increase Acc. Then file off the names and say the new gun shoots energy bolts instead of bullets. The rest of the equipment from Ultra-Tech can be used as is if it fits your setting.
>>
What advantages would represent being the leader of a modern country? Does Rank cover it all, or should you take the government as a Patron too? Should bodyguards be taken as an Ally Group?
>>
>>45315859
In that case, you can put GAZ-21 in that category as well.
>>
>>45315426
Teamwork perk
>>
File: raw.jpg (85KB, 570x629px) Image search: [Google]
raw.jpg
85KB, 570x629px
>Read Filthy Lucre
>Love the currency talk
>Read the gem section
>Decide to want to model the value of a gem 'coin' roughly quarter sized for every gem value level, the metals too, just for a sort of easy ref table for gameplay rewards
>Have no fucking clue if it's right

I swear this system sometimes
>>
>>45316596
To piggyback on this, what books would be best for a gritty near future space exploration game?
>>
>>45317864
Basic Set, Space and Spaceships, though the latter can be omitted and the combat rules within are mostly useless. Weapon damage and defenses are so far divorced from each other that the rules are unusable.
>>
>>45316980
As a leader, all you need is Rank. However, most leaders also have levels of Wealth and Status above and beyond the free levels granted by Rank.

Also probably Legal Immunity, though that can probably be covered by Rank under the rules from Pulling Rank.
>>
>>45318064
Well he did say "gritty." The offense/defense issue is only a problem if the genre expects spaceships to continually exchange fire like space opera. Eggshells armed with war hammers may for his campaign.

I also thought that when the numbers got crunched, the imbalance is less of an issue than it appears i.e. a single missile does indeed wreck a ship, but to overcome even a modest point-defense system, the ship has to dedicate the vast majority of its volume to missile launchers and ammo storage, and that many missiles costs more than the ship itself.
>>
GURPSgen, how would you stat pic related? Say it's a homing attack, maybe? I don't think the standard smartgun system really handles it properly, since it's meant to just represent a HUD system rather than a targeting system.
>>
>>45319526
I'd say it gives the Acc bonus from aiming without having to make any Aim maneuvers, but you don't get any extra bonus from aiming. Also, on a miss, the gun doesn't fire at all.

Homing ignores range modifiers, which doesn't really fit.
>>
>>45319526
That's tricky. Maybe a couple of things, either together or on their own.
1) Treat the shooter's skill as the maximum possible skill for the gun; going by Tactical Shooting, that's 22+2*(the gun's innate Acc). Every gun has dispersion and the bullet can spin out of line. I'd apply range penalties to this, but not darkness penalties.
2) Maybe no defense roll alowed? In GURPS, "dodging" gunfire simply means bobbing and weaving to not be where the gun is pointed when it goes off, NOT actively dodging a round in-flight. Since that smartgun tech only allows a shot when the enemies in its sights, that doesn't really work. This sounds broken as fuck though, so I don't really recommend this. I'd let people with ETS still dodge normally though.
3) >>45319676 is actually pretty good. Probably more balanced than my ideas.

How does the targeting laser work? How can it trigger when reflecting off an enemy and not, say, a wall or rock? Because as-is that description sounds like some sci-fi stuff and the shooter can close his eyes, spin in a circle, and recreate most scenes from Equilibrium with no effort or skill.
>>
>>45260005
That's about the right answer too. In non-combat situations you get a bonus, also the aiming, with more for bracing and/or a scope.

At the gun range shooting with a scoped hunting rifle at a hundred yard target is pretty doable even for a fairly middle of the road shot.
>>
>>45319715
>How can it trigger when reflecting off an enemy and not, say, a wall or rock?
Point cloud lidar does this now. At least for detecting person or dog or even parakeet vs. wall or rock.
>>
>>45319715
You're maybe right, I think I could go with
>>45319676

I was considering giving it the gunslinger advantage (Where you have to buy that specific advantage for your eyes, with a -20% limitation for smartguns only). Though the weapon not firing on a miss, I'm not too sure about, because there's still some margin of error with it where you can fire and not hit. Maybe a miss by 1-2 fires the weapon, and all other misses do not, or something like that.

As for the targeting laser, they have things similar in real life, though they're stationary points where the laser designates, not moving. I believe prototypes for tracking smartguns are being tested currently though.
>>
>>45320063
>>45319715
>>45319676
How does this sound:
A smartgun has two conditions. The first is it being jacked in, which allows the weapon to be fired neurally. This only requires a neural plug and an interface cable, as well as a smartgun compatible weapon. In game terms, this gives a +1 to the weapon's accuracy due to not having to depress the trigger, and makes using any of the weapon's controls (Fire Rate selector, mag release, etc) a free action. This does in effect lower the reloading time of the weapon by one second due to not having to manually remove the magazine. The second condition is when the weapon is jacked in and the user has smartgun optical chipping (Whether that's in cyberoptics or just a chipped optical nerve is up to the user. This entails a Gunslinger (Smartgun -20%; Electronic -20%) advantage.). This allows the laser designator mounted on the side of the weapon's barrel to track targets through the targeting systems in the optics and a complex series of neural commands, effectively making the weapon not fire until it is aimed at the target. In effect, this gives all the previous condition's perks as well as the Gunslinger advantage. Under condition two, the weapon will not fire if the roll to hit is not made, though it will fire if the roll to dodge by the target is made.
>>
>>45320281
I'd also suggest some clever techniques and other stuff just because you can get away with different things using a smart gun and generally operate somewhat differently than with earlier guns. The paradigm is different.

Different enough to warrant a style, potentially.

You would derive little benefit from using a style based around earlier firearms, and as said, would probably benefit greatly from working your unique advantages and such into a new way of shooting.

This in turn could be used to inform your world building in general because if it's a distinct style other people have probably worked it out and you are going to see smart gun toting operators working around those assumptions and using similar techniques and tactics too.

This would tell you how SWAT teams and the Army and other people would do stuff.
>>
>>45320372
I never really thought of that before anon, but that's a great idea. I'm going to do a big writeup about smartguns and how they have affected soldiers and the like's tactics, and try to rack my brain to try and think of everything I can. Thanks.
>>
>>45316999
>In that case, you can put GAZ-21 in that category as well.

Seems like a decent fit to the concept. The Hindustan Ambassador should probably be moved there as well (currently in 'family cars' although it was really something between a really bad luxury car and a fleet car).

Also gives a category for weird things like custom designed postal trucks.
>>
>>45319715
>1) Treat the shooter's skill as the maximum possible skill for the gun...

That seems unlikely. For a start, if you are moving the gun while it fires, there's going to be some wobble between the time the primer goes off and the time the bullet leaves the barrel. Plus it seems likely that there will be a delay from when the gun is pointed at the target to when the computer decides that it's time to fire, especially if it only gets target information from a laser mounted on the gun so it can't see anywhere except where the gun is pointed.
>>
>>45321570
I assumed an insignificant delay time resulting in near-perfect shots that would only miss due to bullet dispersion (max skill + range penalties) or target reaction (dodge).
>>
File: 1438060919640.jpg (35KB, 850x545px) Image search: [Google]
1438060919640.jpg
35KB, 850x545px
is there some disadvantage to zoophilia? in my setting centaurs are treated like animals but two of my players created a centaur/human couple
>>
>>45324105
Odious Personal Habits (Injects his horrible fetishes into the game)
>>
>>45324105
In regards it causing problems to those involved? If its a human doing the dicking, no problem assuming consent. If its the human getting dicked, you risk exceeding damage of internal organs.

Also, pretty sure they would be incompatible biologically (no kids) and I doubt a normal human dick would be satisfying for a centaur lady.
>>
>>45324105
I would expect a Secret or negative Reputation to be involved.
>>
File: tp2-xs2-oblique.jpg (478KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tp2-xs2-oblique.jpg
478KB, 1620x1080px
>>45319715
>>45319957

Well, the IRL example I can think of is TrackingPoint's automated gun.

It uses a rangefinding laser, but tracking is performed by image recongintion software. You can't just spin around with it because you do have to acquire the target with the scope's sensors and keep the target in the (rather wide) field of view to keep tracking it.

The rifle then shows you were to aim. You adjust the aim then pull the trigger..

And the gun picks when it will shoot based on if you are on target or not.
>>
>>45324105
Social Stigmas (Criminal Record, Disowned, and/or Excommunicated) might be appropriate depending on the precise social context. Also Social Disease, potentially.
>>
File: tp-track-640x204.png (202KB, 640x204px) Image search: [Google]
tp-track-640x204.png
202KB, 640x204px
>>45324361
http://bcove.me/6fxezipd

The weird drop at the start is when they 'tag' the target, then the rifle calculates the drop for the 750 yard range and lets you know you need to aim up.

Mostly it's a rifle thing. I'd say that you need to spend at least one second to tag the target (a Guns skill roll at +5 for Very Easy) then spend a second action laying the gun on the target, where it fires with a skill level of the targeting computer. Call it 20 or so, automatically using 4 points of that for Predictive Shot.
>>
>>45324463
I might include something like that as a primitive smartgun, but with the ones I have in the game, the tagging is simply done as a neural command and takes only a split second.
>>
>>45324265
>>45324262
they already have negative reputation and there is no dicking envolved, they are two females, so maybe some fisting?

>>45324128
noone is talking about sex ingame, they are just running around acting like close people and trying to make an centaur insurgency
-
Also the human female rides the centaur female, IRL they are Twin sisters and my cousins. Anyway, should i give any more penalties beyond negative reputation?
>>
I made a table that adds the treasures from DFT2 to DF8.

http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/table-integrating-dungeon-fantasy.html
>>
>>45324714
What else would there be? What else COULD there be? Unless there's some supernatural effect linked to hot lesbian woman/horse makeout sessions, the only possible consequence is social in nature.

Same goes for any sort of taboo sex thing (or really any taboo thing period). Homosexual in 1950s Bible Belt? Some combination of Secret, Social Stigma, and negative Reputation. Interracial girl/boyfriend in the 60s? Some combination of Secret, Social Stigma, and negative Reputation. Actual vile shit like babyrape, bestiality, and necrophilia? Some combination of Secret, Social Stigma, and negative Reputation (though necrophilia will eventually have some sort of physical consequence too; corpses ain't clean bruh).
>>
>>45324914
>corpses ain't clean bruh

Remember to always use a condom, or suffer 1d+1 damage every hour
>>
>>45325502
nah, make a HT test to avoid infection, you take -1 for every 6 hours the body has been dead and not refrigerated.
>>
>>45325774
Just -1? I think if you went and fucked a body that's been lying out in the sun all day you'd have to pass a better check than just HT-2

What d'you figure a critfail would mean? Mother of all urinal infections?

Necrosis?
>>
>>45326222
Necrosis looks neat but i will do some research about it, i will be back soon
>>
>>45326527
I know I heard a story about a guy who did unprotected anal and ended up with necrosis. A dead body couldn't possibly be any better
>>
File: Sem título2.png (55KB, 230x397px) Image search: [Google]
Sem título2.png
55KB, 230x397px
what are the dimensions of an elephant using hex grid? and how do movement works on hex?
>>
>>45327662
4x3
>>
>>45327811
And based on it filling up its area, like a van, give it another +1 sm, so 5
>>
>>45327662
See Multi-Hex Figures (p. B392). Short version is that you treat the "head" hex as the character for the purposes of tracking movement and as a pivot point for turns. The example is a long dragon moving and turning; while the head only move 3 hexes, with the turn the tail swings through 10 hexes, trampling and whacking anyone unfortunate enough to be in that area (MonHun players know this feeling all too well).
>>
File: Base1.jpg (215KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Base1.jpg
215KB, 1360x768px
>>45327662
>>45327811
>>45328022
Is this correct?
>>
File: One_Nation_Under_Cthulhu.jpg (8MB, 3200x2160px) Image search: [Google]
One_Nation_Under_Cthulhu.jpg
8MB, 3200x2160px
Does anyone still have the gurps edit version of this pic?
>>
New GURPS player here, is there really no way to buy a better parry ability, aside from raising your weapon skill? No technique or anything?
>>
>>45329617
Look at Enhanced Defences, a Basic Set Advantage
>>
>>45329651
Eh, that doesn't really fit that well. It's limited to only +1 to parry, and isn't really skill based like would make sense.

Is there some especially good reason there aren't any parry techniques or anything, anywhere? Am I missing something?
>>
File: print1.jpg (486KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
print1.jpg
486KB, 1360x768px
Do the system allow me to do this? a 2hex creature like this?
>>
>>45329617
>>45329709
Active defenses are one of the most precious "resources" in GURPS, you can't just get them on silver platter. Carry a shield, use retreats, if you are using Martial Arts - take Defensive Attacks and Defensive Grips.
>>
Is melee combat supposed to take forever? I've run a few sessions, and every time both parties have a reasonable dodge, it seems to turn into an eternity missed attacks
>>
>>45329837
Oh, so you're saying it's just a balancing thing; throw realism to the wind in favor of making sure things don't get overpowered?
>>
>>45329849
You are supposed to use maneuvers that reduce enemy defenses. Deceptive Attacks and Feints are safe options (DA is easier to use, Feint is cheaper to improve). Martial Arts introduces risky Riposte. Enemy mooks should use their numerical advantage instead, flanking PCs and attacking them several times per turn to take away their best defense options.
>>
>>45329915
GURPS only suggests to limit Enhanced Parry to 1 or 2, but if the GM thinks that enough training would get you better than this they could remove the limit, or introduce a technique for parrying
>>
>>45329915
I don't really see how the current system is especially unrealistic.
>>
>>45330137
Because in real life a very good fencer is also very good at parrying.

in GURPS this would not actually be the case, because of how this is set up.
>>
>>45330164
Fencers already have lots of defensive bonuses for parrying while using a fencing weapon
>>
>>45330164
Fencing weapons do get a bonus to parrying.

P92 of Martial arts describes some specific techniques to buy off penalties for weapons that are bad at parrying, for example, small knives or whips.

Enhanced Defenses is literally the advantage to buy more parries. GMs are recommended to limit everything however they want, but a GM might also not mind allowing a player several levels of enhanced parry.
>>
>>45330244
"More parries" should be "better parries."
>>
>>45330164
A good fencer would also follow the proper style for fencing: present weapon side (+1 parry), retreat when attacked (+3 parry b/c fencing weapon), take a defensive stance (All-Out Defense, either +2 to Parry or get Parry AND Dodge vs. single attack), and making probing thrusts (Defensive Attack) until the opponent overextends themselves (Riposte/Counterattack or exploiting opponent's All-Out or Committed Attack).
>>
>>45330164
No, it's exactly the case. The better you are at fencing, the better you are at parrying. It's just the parrying score is rising slower than fencing skill - but that's how it is supposed to be, because active defenses are not skills.
>>
>>45329812

Yes
>>
>>45328742
Yep! Looks right to me
>>
>>45330164
>>45330298 again, I also forgot to mention that a trained "professional" fencer (whatever that translates to in your setting of choice) with Rapier-14 would have Parry-10 *before* factoring any of the bonuses I listed. Even with just Retreat+Weapon Presentation, that's Parry-14, a 90.7% chance to straight-up no-sell an incoming attack.
>>
File: print4.png (988KB, 985x768px) Image search: [Google]
print4.png
988KB, 985x768px
>>45330434
but what if he moves like example 2
>>
Lowtech says that muzzle loading flintlocks go from 40 seconds to reload to 30 seconds to reload when you fast draw ammo.

It also says that if you're using paper cartridges, you halve the time required.

What would I actually do if I used both of those? Bring the time down to 30, and then halve it to 15?
>>
>>45330769
>2016
>not using aperiodic tiling
>>
>>45330823
yes, it would be 15seconds

>>45330862
gurps can't be played at tabletop with AT maps
>>
>>45330823
Yep! That's historically pretty close (Technically some people could do faster, but 3 rounds a minute was the standard.)
>>
>>45330164
Depends on the style. Most sport fencing styles heavy emphasize the retreat and advance though. Footwork, in sport fencing, is a HUGE part of defense.

So yeah, you get a bonus as long as you have room to move.
>>
>>45329617
Combat Reflexes and Enhanced Defenses (Parry (your sword type) could be used to show a fencer with exceptional skill at defense.
>>
>>45330769
While the character may be walking due south with shoulders squared as shown in #2, on the mat it's represented by sliding #1 southward. One foot/side will always be in front of the other, even if it's by a little bit, so make your call that way. Similarly for #3, while the giant may occupy that position, his mat placement will have to be a rough approximation that again is more akin to #1; is he more to the left or the right, more to the front or rear, etc. That line on he grid some infinitely thin bullshit and it's impossible to straddle evenly, so pick a side, we're at war.
>>
Anyone here ever pull off a pure non-combat GURPS campaign? Just curious.
I could see a mundane pioneer game being interesting or a survival on a deserted island thing working... but they still might have a bit of fighting in the way of hunting.
>>
>>45332651
Here, i'm the guy who GM a merchant campaign(although it started as a dungeon crawl), now my players are founding a colony to cultivate sugar
>>
>>45332651
I did a very low combat detective game. There simply weren't many situations that turned to violence, and when it came up it was resolved very quickly and brutally.
>>
>>45332651
does hunting count? because i play a survival
>>
>Let's GURPS
So, how useful CER has actually been for you? What are the advantages when compared to just eyeballing the numbers? Have you actually used it when designing encounters for your group, and how did it turn out?

Your blig CER encounters are quite useful, but I don't see myself going through each bestiary entry and balancing it around.
>>
>>45264817
Where to find this?
>>
>>45330301
thought experiment: what happens if Parry becomes a DX skill pegged to weapon skill-2?

or something like that
>>
>>45332651
LTC3 + Social Engineering, my favourite combo.
>>
File: GURPS Sacrifice.png (5MB, 2048x1382px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Sacrifice.png
5MB, 2048x1382px
>>45329031
>>
I once had a TL11 soldier in an Ultra-Tech campaign learn engineering: small arms so that he could modify his semi-portable blaster to be twin-barreled.

Fun times.
>>
>>45336094
Thanks
>>
>>45335796
I've kinda wanted to do a civil engineering campaign once using a similar combination. It fell apart when one player kept derailing it though and I didn't have the spine to kick him out.
"Ugh, this is so boring, I want to fight more stuff."
"Wah, everyone is stronger than me."
"You're just letting me win everything."
>>
>>45335514
At higher skill levels, Parries would be near impossible to overcome; Rapier-16 now has Parry-14 instead of Parry-11, for example, and that with no supplement from shields, positioning, maneuver choice, or retreating. Combat now drags on forever because no one will be able to land a blow.

The issue is that attack/defense rolls aren't quick contests of skill. You don't need a defense score comparable to your attacker's score to make it in combat. Your opponent has to make their skill roll and you have to fail (or be in a situation where you can't attempt) your defense roll to be hit.
>>
>>45337543

Supers had a rule where you treated Dodge/Parry/Block as a quick contest, if one or both of the defense rolls was very high--16+ I think.

I'm not sure why you couldn't do that generally, other than more math and dice rolling.
>>
>>45338057
In the general case, a quick contest gives a very big advantage to the attacker who will usually have more attack skill than the defender will have active defense. Small differences in stats give a big difference in probability in quick contests. I think it's not a quick contest usually because the idea is to give the defender a bit more of a chance to succeed.

If active defenses are scaled to be on par with attacking skills, it would invalidate a few techniques like deceptive attacks.
>>
>>45339429
Bumping to keep thread alive.
>>
>>45340534
Thank you
>>
I got nothing particularly interesting to say. I wrote up Breathe Water as a sorcery ability on my blog, 18 points for an affliction to breathe underwater for 1 minute.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/sorcery-breathe-water.html
>>
>>45332651
I ran a game where everyone was an enchanter. This resulted in the Giant Jade Crab and a campaign I still refer to 20 years later as "GURPS Spreadsheets." I will speak no more of it.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER

What would the stats for this baby be?
>>
How should i make a proficient archer in a tl4 fantasy esque game?
>>
>>45340936
Strongbow perk
Elven Bow
Heroic Archery
Possibly a Weapon Master
>>
>>45341021
what books are these in?
>>
>>45341111
MA, DF, BS
>>
>>45340936
We talked this over last thread, I wonder if it's still up.

The takeaway, from what I remember:

Some rabbits look very sad.

ST is a mediocre investment for bow damage because they deal Thrust damage.

Pay for Fine arrows. $6 each and they deal +1 damage.

Targeted Attacks are the way to get around armor that becomes common at TL4. If you are picking between more ST and more skill, go for more skill.

With a reflex bow and fine arrows you can do thrust + 4 impaling, or periceing with a (2) armor divisor.

People with shields are hard targets.
>>
>>45340860
Well, it's a plasma weapon, so probably a Plasma Cannon (p. UT128) with oodles of Gadget Bugs (p. B476) because it's a prototype.
>>
>>45342859
is there a perk or advantage or anything for shooting into melee so you're more likely to not shoot your friendlies?
>>
>>45343362
Does it also means that plasma weaponry is not a super-science?
>>
>>45344112
Firing into melee in GURPS has a couple effects: you take -4 per occupied hex (friend or foe) between you and your target, and if you miss you can hit someone in said occupied hex on a 9 or lower (you can also overshoot on a miss or if the guy dodges). If you're shooting into Close Combat (i.e. two dudes sharing a hex), your attack is at -2 and you have the same chance to hit a friendly.

Most RAW option to avoid harming an ally? Extra Option (Friendly Fire) lets you never have to worry about damaging your teammates again. It doesn't do squat for the attack penalty though, it just negates damage.

There's also the Battle Drill perk; it halves the penalty and means you never accidentally hit an ally. However, it's a teamwork perk; everyone needs to have it for the perk to have any effect.

A sane GM would probably allow a perk in a cinematic game that lets you ignore the -4 for shooting through allies' hexes.
>>
>>45344292
Mmmmaybe? I don't really know what makes plasma weaponry super science in the first place; I'm not a physicist, I don't even know what parts of it are wrong. Maybe plasma as a concept works, but making it a reliable portable weapon that can handle battlefield conditions requires super science tech. Maybe it's just not nearly as effective as it's portrayed in fiction, so it's the 6dx25 burn ex sur that's super science and not the plasma source.

Also the information on M.A.R.A.U.D.E.R. is vague and not from the most reliable sources. Maybe it didn't work as some sources claimed, it actually was scrapped, and plasma weaponry is still nuzzled safely in the realm of super science.
>>
>>45344598
The problem with plasma is, roughly speaking, that you have an awful lot of very hot gas, which really really wants to reach thermal equilibrium with the not-hot-at-all gas around it. So it'll try to expand, fast.

Try killing someone with a gun that shoots steam and you'll see the problem. There are presumably ways around it but if we could contain plasma easily we'd have fusion power already.
>>
>>45344809
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
Use an ionized trail from a laser a-la electrolasers (LIPCs) to direct the plasma bolt.
>>
>>45344809
>if we could contain plasma easily we'd have fusion power already
Amen. It's funny how finding the solution to one problem solves five others along the way.
>>
>>45344809
Very good point. The other problem is that, being very loosely associated with itself, plasma transfers all of it's energy to the first thing that it hits. A sheet of thin material will absorb a plasma bolt (and explode).

So your plasma bolt might only stay intact for 1/1000 of a second after you shoot it.

One option to keep it going is to shoot it really, really fast. If you can get it up to .5c then in that 1/1000th of a second it travels 150 kilometers and even a tiny amount of plasma hits like a fright train.

>>45344292
It's no more super-science then many things that we accept as part of hard science fiction. It's hard, but very likely to be possible, like thorium fission reactors and SSTO heavy lift shuttles.
>>
>>45342859
where are fine arrows at?
>>
Here's one for you GURPS Gen:

I have a character who is kind of a low-magic druid, with a cuddly animal companion. The druid is physically weak the companion is physically strong.

Here is what I'm trying to figure out to do: The animal companion has 1 HP / hour Regeneration (only unconscious/asleep -20%), how do I make that shareable? So if the animal is at full health, he can cuddle the injured druid and the animal's regeneration heals the druid.

I can't figure out if I should buy this as Regen with lots of limits for the druid or as some kind of enhancement to the animal's regeneration or what.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>45345836
I see it explained on p. 26 of Dungeon Fantasy 1, and probably in other places as well.

Fine projectiles are +2 CF; a regular arrow is $2, so that makes it $6. I never thought about it, this is actually pretty helpful.
>>
>>45346584
The easiest I think is Granted By Familiar in Dungeon Fantasy 5 kinda lets you buy an advantage with a pretty big discount, so you could give yourself the same advantage with maybe an 80% discount when you add up "While asleep, Bear must be at full hp and close."

I'd think a weird version of aura might let the bear spend points to make his healing work on you instead... but it probably requires modifiers to modifiers which some GMs don't like.
>>
>>45346584
If it's only the druid, give your character Regeneration (1/hour, only when sleeping, only when animal companion's at full HP). You may have to hunt around for guideline on much an accessibility discount that last bit gives.

If the companion can snuggle up to anyone, the companions has Affliction (Regeneration, 1/Hour, only when sleeping; always on; melee; aura; only when sleeping; only at full HP). The companion could share a bed with any character and, if *both* are asleep and the companion's at full HP, the character gets 1 HP/hour. Alternatively dropping the earlier "only when sleeping" would mean only the character has to be asleep; the companion can stand guard. Dropping the latter means the companion has to snuggle up and start snoozing, but the character can be awake if not up and about; I find this cuter for some reason, and lets your druid (or any other character) do passive things like read, talk, eat lunch, etc. while healing.
>>
>>45346741
>>45346892
Good stuff.

One thing I never understood about "Granted By Familiar" is if that requires you be in contact with the familiar to use it or the familiar just has to be alive and functional or what.

Second, when putting limitations on Regeneration, do you have to omit 5 points of it for the Rapid Healing part, so that works all the time, or do you not need it all the time? I'm unsure when you check for a limb to be crippled.
>>
>>45347040
DF5 says it's up to the GM, but recommends "typically within 60xMove" which I kinda roughly interpret to mean 300 yards give or take, but should probably be read as "within a minutes travel at near top speed." That being said, with GBF meaning "close" you might be able to eke a few more percent out of the discount if you hadn't hit the 80% ceiling before.

Dunno about the second point.
>>
>>45346622
i have no idea how to make them on GCS.
>>
>>45347406
I don't think it has it Built in... so you kinda have to make a custom item for it. Just add arrows a second time to someone and then double click it and edit it to be called Arrows (Fine) and change the unit price to $6. For consumables like that, It's also probably better to leave it on the sheet even if the count is 0 so you can just easily up it or down it as you buy/use them up.
>>
>>45347406
You can double click on Arrow. Make a new item with the same cost that cost $6 and has the feature "adds +1 damage to weapons that require the skill Bow"

It's under Features.

That will give you a stat line for your bow that is correct for your weapon as long as your fine arrows last.

You can even save this to the equipment library for Basic Set or Low Tech.
>>
>>45332946
I need to you to go into great detail about the mechanics at work in your game.
What rules/skills/attributes come up often
What houserules if any are used
What splats you're using
This is extremely relevant to my interests
>>
>>45257541
So Im fiddling around with this Character sheet you all have and it's rather cool, but how do I go about adding a new race or something? On another note, is there a guide on where to read these advantages or not?
>>
>>45349543
The vast vast vast majority of advantages are in basic set characters... if you are using GCS, almost all of the advantages have a page reference. To add a "race" to a character you add a "racial template" which is a wrapper around a bunch of advantages and disadvantages that costs exactly the same as if you bought them all separately.
>>
Here's a thought....

How hard would it be to stat up Bioshock plasmids in GURPS?
>>
>>45349842
Extremely easy, really. Just use innate attacks.
>>
>>45349889
And Modular Abilities, since you can't simultaneously use more than one plasmid.
>>
>>45349645
Huge advantage to Races though.. Disadvantages reduce the cost of a Race but don't count to your disadvantage limit as a character.
>>
>>45349889
>>45350013
Sure, but what about cost of use and damages and such?
>>
Anyone interested in playing in a STALKER game on roll20?
>>
>>45350013
If you want it cheaper and don't care about picking them up on the fly, alternative attacks/abilities might also be appropriate.
>>
>>45350116
Either just have plasmids consume fatigue points instead of EVE, which should make as much sense as anything with them being biological and all, or have your EVE pool be a kind of energy reserve, maybe modified to not regenerate naturally (basically FP but bought separately solely for weird powers, in the Powers book.)
>>
>>45350488
Yeah, FP would work except you wouldn't be able to regain them NEARLY as easily as you do EVE
>>
>>45350321
Possibly. Care to elaborate on it?
>>
>>45350522
EVE hypos might be or be replaced with some sort of high-grade super stimulant to get back them FPs fast. With or without the usual drawbacks to those.
>>
>>45350556
You know, a nice blend of roadside picnic and SoC. Some cheeki breeki, some swag, some vudka.
Or do you mean the logistics?
>>
File: get_out_of_here_stalker.jpg (79KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
get_out_of_here_stalker.jpg
79KB, 750x600px
>>45350701
>>
Doesn't Exist. [+210cp]

You are a figment of your own imagination.

This is a combination of Invisibility [+40], Insubstantiality (Always On, -50%) [+40], Magic Resistance +20 [+40], Psionic Resistance +20 [+40], Flight [+40], Reduced Move (Flying) (-5) [-25], Doesn't Eat or Drink [+10], Vacuum Support [+40] and Zeroed [+10]. Non Existence is the equivalent of a 25 point Social Stigma

Affecting the physical universe (or metaphysical universe, for that matter) is very difficult to impossible for you. You can only interact with other people or objects that Don't Exist. The good news is, you can't be harmed by anything, unless it also Doesn't Exist.

You have the same senses an an actually existing person of your species, and can (not) exist in any environment. You have the normal ST, DX, HT, and IQ of your species. You have the Flight advantage, but your base move is not doubled. You can't walk, run or swim, as you are unable to interact with either the ground or the water.

>He blinked twice, then said "I'll allow it."
>Fuck, I hate 400-point campaigns.
>>
>>45350868
How would you stat a fictional character - i.e. he is completely made-up in-universe and doesn't exists at all outside of paper, film, internet?
>>
>>45350701
Sure, anything you want to say. Either way, I suppose I would be down for it.
>>
>>45350987
[email protected]
Email me
>>
Rock: [-184]

You are a large rock, roughly 1' x 1' x 3', suitable for a park or garden. You weigh anywhere from 150 to 200lbs. You have a nominal ST, DX, and IQ, but no real way to use them. You have no skills, and are not even considered a creature, let alone a person. Your Body of Stone gives you PD 3, DR 8. You have no blood, brain or vital organs, and only one hit location ("Body"). Failing a HT roll to avoid "death" likely means you have been broken into a number of smaller Rocks.

ST 1 [-80], HT: 10 [0], DX: 1 [-80], IQ: 1 [-80]

Advantages: Body of Stone L12 (Amorphous, Always On, net +5%) [+101]; Doesn't Eat/Drink [+10] Doesn't Sleep [+20]; Injury Tolerance (All) [+50]; PD3, DR8 [Free from Body of Stone]; Unaging [+15]; Vacuum Support [+40]

Disadvantages: Blind [-50]; Cannot Learn [-30]; Deaf [-20]; Mute [-25]; No Sense of Taste/Smell [-5]; No Manipulators [-50]; Sessile [-50], Unhealing [-30]; Social Stigma (Inanimate object) [call it -20]

>"You're..trying to tell me something, aren't you.
>OK look, buy a Patron or Ally group, and some Wealth & Status.
>You're a rock, but you're some kind of Very Important rock, and you've got a group of people looking out for your interests.
>This is a valid GURPS build.

This is a valid GURPS build.
The three most horrible worlds in the universe are "I'll allow it"
>>
>>45350868
>>45351765
Are you telling me that being a fictional rock is a net positive?
>>
>>45350967
Part of the creator's Reputation?

The actual IP as a special sort of wealth?

The fandom as a Patron or Ally Group?

Some sort of Astral Entity because *handwave* something something collective unconscious?

Fuck if I know, somebody just let me play a non-sentient boulder. I don't get this system at all.
>>
>>45351847

Template stacking is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>45351847
Some of the Advantages are duplicated, and the rock loses the figment's movement abilities...hang on a sec...OK, it's looking like -29 points all told, so no.

But an invisible, imaginary rock *is* playable in a 100pt campaign. Ook.
>>
>>45345410

But if you shoot it really really fast, is there even a point in shooting plasma? When the majority of damage is done by kinetic energy, a solid projectile that doesn't disperse sounds more logical to me.
>>
>>45351765
Wouldn't setting ST, DX, and IQ to 0 and buying a bunch of HP separately make more sense?
>>
>>45351765
>You're a rock, but you're some kind of Very Important rock, and you've got a group of people looking out for your interests.

That actually sounds sort of interesting, as long as you get very heavy input on your Allies' actions.
>>
>>45352202
That's a great question. Plasma's advantage as a projectile is that it's conductive and provides very low friction.

It also stays plasma if you heat it tremendously via friction and inefficiency with your mass accelerator.

So if you use, say, super conductive electromagnets to pull the plasma forward and the projectile experiences inductive heating, plasma doesn't care much, beyond pushing harder at the barrel or magnetic fields containing the plasma as it expands a bit.

The same thing happens, basically, if you use rail gun to accelerate plasma using Lorentz force.

The limitations on how much you can accelerate a projectile include how much abuse the projectile can take. Even made out of irridum a rail gun projectile is likely to be reduced to plasma if you pour too much energy into it.

A small mass of plasma can have a lot of kinetic energy poured into it because it's intensive to heating. Lower projectile masses, at the same energy, mean the projectile moves faster and generates less recoil (recoil is dependent on the ratio of the mass of the weapon to the mass of the projectile).
>>
File: Print159.png (19KB, 276x443px) Image search: [Google]
Print159.png
19KB, 276x443px
>>45347961
>What rules/skills/attributes come up often
Mostly IQ and Per. We started at 50/-25 and now they are at almost 130.
>What houserules if any are used
Mostly costs for things that Lowtech can't provide
>What splats you're using
City Stats, Hot spots renaissance, asparagus, fantasy, lowtech, lowtech companions 1, 2 and 3(serious, get companion 3, u will need it), Martial Arts, Social engenering, Swashbucklers for the ships system, Supporting Cast Age of Sail Pirate Crew, Aspargus and lots, LOTS of historical and farming books for reference
>>
>>45340637
>http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/02/sorcery-breathe-water.html
At a quick glance you forgot Reduced Duration, 1/3, -10%. And afflictions don't work the way you built them. Unless I'm wrong. I think it should be Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%; Magical, -10%), +80%; Sorcery, -15%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Reduced Duration, 1/3, -10%; Increased 1/2D, 10x, +15%; Reduced Range, 1/5, -20%) [15]

Fixed Duration, +0% makes afflictions last 3 minutes. Look at the other examples in Thaum:Sorcery with Fixed Duration. Most use Extended Duration but it's pretty obvious what the base time is.

I'm sure there's another reference to fixing the duration on Afflictions somewhere but I can't remember where.

Afflictions cost 10 points per level and the modifiers (total of +50%) to it adjust that price so 10 x 1.5 = 15. Right?

You wouldn't have to roll to cast it but do have range penalties on your Innate Attack (Gaze) roll to hit someone with it (which is why I usually increase the 1/2D by 10x and reduce the range to 1/5 for a total -5% modifier and 20 yards range), if you touch your target you don't even have to roll that. Either way it's resisted automatically if your target wants to.

Because sorcery spells are all alternate abilities it would cost 3 points to learn.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'm new to Sorcery and the first game using it is this coming Saturday.
>>
>>45283930

I can think of two vehicles which, while admittedly possessing a narrow niche as far as adventuring potential goes, you may want to consider for your Vehicles PDF.

* A relatively modern day passenger train that regularly makes transcontinental trips. It ought to be diesel powered, as trains of this sort typically run on diesel fuel.

* A modern day "light rail" train for cities with excellent public transit systems. This train would run off of electric current directly supplied from an outside source.

"Campaigns" does feature a train, but it's a mid to late TL5 locomotive that would be more at home in "The Great Train Robbery" or "Back to the Future III".

---

On a more personal level, I would appreciate it if you at least considered statting up a 1950s/1960s era Cadillac convertible (cherry red, natch 8-^)).
>>
>>45351765
This is bullshit.
Are you igneous, metamorphic, or sedimentary? Hell, this doesn't even begin to address how to delineate advantages and disadvantages on a ternary diagram. What if I want to play as a slightly more felsic rock.

I just hope GURPS Geology has solid PC character creation options. I'm tired of having to eyeball the difference between playing an alkali-feldspar granite and playing a siliciclastic limestone. Universal my ass.
>>
>>45347961

>Rules that come up most often

Spotting clues and danger, telling when people are being deceptive and combat. IQ is most important for my characters, along with spell casting. IQ is super important in GURPS! It is your ability to talk to people, be perceptive and kill people with your brain.

>House rules.
I don't know. I'm not sure if some things are house rules or things the GM knows but I don't.

>Splats
Low Tech and Horror and now we are going to be doing Ritual Path magic.
>>
>>45352918
>2k16
>playing sedimentary rocks
look at this faggot. Look at him and laugh
>>
File: 002277.jpg (70KB, 600x419px) Image search: [Google]
002277.jpg
70KB, 600x419px
>>45352918
>playing a siliciclastic limestone

Goddamn special snowflakes playing carbonate rock as siliciclastic.
>>
>>45352974
>siliciclastic limestone
Anon, it's 2016. Just because it has carbonates doesn't mean that it can't be a siliciclastic reservoir instead (or both at the same time!)
>>
File: 800px-Parovoz_FD21-3125.jpg (114KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Parovoz_FD21-3125.jpg
114KB, 800x599px
>>45352838
>>45283930
I also thought about which trains need to be statted, but I think it should be a bigger category. Right now, I think we need one of following:
- Soviet steam locomotive from the first half of XX century
- American diesel locomotive from the second half of XX century
- One of the Japanese Shinkansen
Or maybe it should be French TGV and one of the Japanese light passenger trains, like in my Japanese animu? Anyway, it's up to Vehicular Anon to decide.
>>
>>45352645
thats me

>>45352930
do you understand that he is asking about what i most needed for GM a NON COMBAT campaign?
>>
>>45352261
These are 3e stats:

--Attributes only go down to 1. I'd bullshit zero as [-100] or [-125], but it's not Rules As Written.

--HP are based on HT, not ST. so it has average human HP--which, admittedly, is kinda low--but shitty Fatigue, which is fine because it couldn't use any if it had.
>>
>>45352838
>>45353096

I did the Cadillac and the TGV train (which at least has the advantage it's all one vehicle so I can put off working out how trailers work a little longer).
>>
General question to the thread:

How many of you use the apparently common house rule that uncouples Will and Per from IQ, leaving IQ as 20 points (effectively doubling the cost)?

The arguments for it all seem to make sense to me, so that's what I'm doing for my first campaign. I'm just wondering if its as popular as I've been led to believe it is.
>>
>>45354388
Never been an issue with any of my groups. Either the points total has been high enough that it didn't matter that IQ, Per, and Will were high or the points total was low enough that none of them got too high to worry about anyway.
>>
>>45301170
Slams are shit, because they regularly cause less damage then simply bashing somebody with that shield.
>>
>>45354737

In this case, you're not slamming for damage.

Shield slams let you add your shield DB to damage, and that's a flat value. With a heavy shield that's +3 damage, almost an entire die on average, more than you'd get from DX+2 levels of Sumo.

In fact, the LESS damage you do, the better. Slamming from 1 yard (Velocity 1) lets you roll 1d, while your opponent has to roll 1d-3 (assuming your opponent has 25 ST or less). That's some pretty good odds you'll knock your opponent prone or at least force him to roll DX
>>
>>45354356

Bad-ass, buddy. As always, you come through 8-^).
>>
>>45353096

Hm. While the maglevs and "bullet" trains are nifty modes of transportation, I feel as though they're not quite as "adventure friendly" as the wider and slower models that typically operate at city limits and/or in countrysides.
>>
>>45354388
I do this in my game. I also uncouple Magery from IQ. Mages use 10+ Magery.
>>
>>45352751
I think it is a 0 point feature to gimp the spell for less casting time. If I didn't do fixed duration, it would be 1 minute for every degree of success.You don't get points back for that. I just tried to make it as close to the original spell as I could. You could potentially reduce the range of the spell if you like though. In your case, you are right about 15 = 3 because of the fact that Sorcery uses alternate advantages.
>>
>>45356377
>If I didn't do fixed duration, it would be 1 minute for every degree of success. You don't get points back for that.
Fixed duration does make it so your margin can't ever be better than 3 though. Which is a 0-point feature.

It's not casting time. All (for a given value of 'all') Sorcery spells cast in 1 or 2 seconds. What you're altering in the Affliction limitations and enhancements is the Affliction itself. Afflictions are normally 1 minute * margin like you said. Fixed Duration makes that a flat 3 minutes. Increased Duration or Reduced Duration alter it from there. See Tanglefoot, No-Smell, Gift of Tongues, etc. Not to mention a whole slew of Afflictions in Psionic Powers (c.f., Curse, Drain (Attribute), Drain Emotion, etc.)

You do get points back for reducing your fixed 3 minutes of duration to something less.
>>
>>45357708
I should have worded that better.

*What you're altering is the afflicted effect itself.

That's why Magical and Sorcery on the same spell aren't double-dipping.
>>
How bad an idea is it to combine magic styles and martial arts styles? Considering running a kung-fu not!China game and being able to focus your chi into a bolt of fire or concentrate it under your feet to windwalk or just buff yourself up to ridiculous proportions seems like decent capstone abilities. I was considering dividing up styles between Earthly Styles that offer cinematic skills and Heavenly Styles that offer blatantly magic spells; a character would need the "blessing of heaven" (i.e. Magery) to make use of Heavenly Styles.
>>
File: 004.gif (145KB, 1317x813px) Image search: [Google]
004.gif
145KB, 1317x813px
>>45354356
If it's of any help, I found a book on Soviet train cars. I think we can just write some typical train cars (passenger car, flatbed, box car) for every train in the table, without the write-ups.
>>
>>45357708
Ah, I must have read it wrong. I can make the correction... I think I've made this mistake several times over though. Thanks for looking out.
>>
>>45357771

Martial arts are rather weak even when just compared to weapons, with magic in the picture you'll risk making the martial arts part essentially non-viable.
>>
>>45357908
Martial arts includes weapons use bruh, and the magic was going to be a capstone/compliment to martial arts styles.
>>
>>45357955

My bad. With your misuse of the term chi, I assumed you were misusing the term martial arts as well, it's very common for people to use it referring to unarmed combat exclusively.
>>
>>45357850
Thanks for being a sounding board. I'm trying to cram for Saturday's game so that bit was recently slogged through. I'm glad I got it right (if I did).
>>
>>45357771
With all the reading up on Sorcery I've been doing (and Psis, Psionic Powers, Psionic Campaigns, Divine Favor, and Thaum:Chinese Powers) I'm pretty sure it will work very, very well with Martial Arts.

In fact, Sorcery is the system I was was core with the 4th edition. It's balanced against advantages and powers at every level I play in (50-800 points) as far as I can tell and it stacks up against guns as well as Innate Attacks do.

I really wanted to like Ritual Path Magic because I really like the atmosphere it seems it would have. It doesn't. And it isn't remotely balanced against anything. It took forever to build the spells and then the other characters became obsolete.

The only thing I have bad to say about Sorcery so far is the shortage of published spells. I like building abilities though so I'll call it a wash personally. I'd still kill for an 800 spell catalog like the skill-based magic system got.
>>
>>45358493
It's Cunningham's Law
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham%27s_Law
On the internet, you learn faster not by asking questions, but saying the wrong thing and waiting for people to correct you.

That's kinda another one of the benefits I was shooting for when starting a blog: hoping people would correct my misunderstandings... unfortunately, people are starting to accidentally take me at my word and think I know what I talk about because I say it so matter-of-factly.
>>
File: Steampunk 16.jpg (2MB, 6400x3600px) Image search: [Google]
Steampunk 16.jpg
2MB, 6400x3600px
Page 10
>>
>>45354935
Not to mention all out strong, mighty blows if you use extra effort or something like the shoves and pushes perk.
>>
I've got a question.

I'm going to be playing a 3e game on Roll20 soon. Will it be fine if I make my character using 4th edition rules? Or will it fuck everything up?
>>
>>45350868
Yet, see invisible and a ghost touch knife or somesuch could still get you killed.
>>
>>45362004
The biggest differences between 3e and 4e are at the character creation, so use the 3e book if you can

But if you can't, there is .this .pdf related which could help you:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/resources/4eupdate.pdf
>>
Anyone making a new thread?

Or should I?
>>
>>45362993
Do it
>>
>>45363298
>>45363298
>>45363298
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.