[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you depict Gods of traditionally feminine domains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: 1341009810819.jpg (2MB, 2700x4275px) Image search: [Google]
1341009810819.jpg
2MB, 2700x4275px
How would you depict Gods of traditionally feminine domains? What about goddesses of traditionally masculine domains?

Like a God of the home & children, or a Goddess of thunder and lightning
>>
However I want.
>>
File: animoot uuuu.gif (2MB, 381x434px) Image search: [Google]
animoot uuuu.gif
2MB, 381x434px
>>45236633
>>
Feminine but male Gods fit pretty well in a lot of mythology. It represents a sort of otherwise unspoken part kf the population.

Also male gods if the hearth can just be daddy. No need to make them weird. Thunder Goddess is obviously PMSing though.
>>
>>45236594
>feminine or masculine domains
>gods
>having gender
>or a set form
>or being comprehensible
>>
>>45236594

God of Home and Children is the protector, the sire, he builds the home and he keeps it standing, he stands before the gate and challenges any who would attack it but welcomes those who would bring joy and good fortune it
>>
>>45236746
I think a male God of marriage would be like an overprotective father-in-law with a shotgun
>>
All hail Dad God.

His icons are the 50's fedora, tobacco pipe and shaving razor.
>>
>>45236735
Say it with me faggot

DEPENDS ON THE SETTING
>>
File: 1ILelG4dPHg.jpg (90KB, 700x401px) Image search: [Google]
1ILelG4dPHg.jpg
90KB, 700x401px
>>45236932
>gods in his setting are comprehensible

shit setting ds snp
>>
>>45236735
>having your head this far up Lovecraft's ass
>>
>>45237006
>implying you can only have incomprehensible gods if they're rip-offs of lovecraftian ones
>>
>>45236878
Would be a good compliment to Hera's complete bitchiness.
>>45236746
You know, Hestia really was the Best Girl of Greek mythology
>>
>god of beauty, love, fatherhood and sexuality
So, Michael Carpenter?
>would kill and die for any member of his family
>married a 9/10, kids are all good-looking
>has 7 children, foster father of an 8th
>how do you think he got those 7 children
>according to Molly, on special occasions she has to tire the kids out and put them to bed early so they don't get disturbed by all the noise coming from the master bedroom
>>
>>45236594
The God of Home and Children would be literally the paragon of fatherhood and husbandry. His heartwarming smile hiding behind the glorious chestnut-coloured mustache and beard contrasts with his powerful, towering frame that feels like the fifth wall of the house he protects.

No trade is beyond the Allfather's reach - he can build, hunt, cook, sew, repair, do the daughter's hair, you name it. Venturing slightly into almost every domain, the Allfather is on good terms with, again, almost every other deity in the pantheon - in fact, a significant number of deities are his direct children. His gentle and hearty attitude as well as a great sense of humour make him a welcome guest nearly everywhere, be it a divine gathering or a poor shrine in the corner of the run-down shanty, as long as the people there live as a family.
>>
>>45237048
Pretty much, yeah
>>
>>45236594
Fuccbois and musclegirls m8.
>>
Does it really make sense to do that?
If it's a masculine principle or a feminine principle why would you choose to represent it with the opposite gender if there wasn't an explanation for it (i.e. he is the grandfather god, wise man of the family, or maybe a female god of vengance whose god-family is slain and she takes up war)?
Smells like postmodernism to me senpai
>>
File: _LL.png (15KB, 86x129px) Image search: [Google]
_LL.png
15KB, 86x129px
>>45236903
>>
>>45241369
Basically this. That's what you wanted to hear, right OP?
>>
File: 264.png (27KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
264.png
27KB, 650x450px
>>45242571
>>
>>45240815
>What is Abrahamic god
>>
>>45236594
I generally don't bring up gods in my games unless someone wants a set of guidelines for a religious character, in which case we develop some together. We're not into that powercreep shit.
>>
>>45243062
>religion
>gods
>powercreep
I don't understand.
>>
>>45243079
We dunno fite guds cuz shitsux
>>
>>45243122
>detailing gods means that players will kill them

STATTING gods is the problem. If you aren't detailing gods then you're just lazy.
>>
>>45236594
A god of the home would be like a kindly grandfather who's always there for you, y'know what I mean?
>>
>>45243322
Trying to emulate something as disgustingly complex as religion is something I avoid, and the gods generally make no personal appearances.
>>
>>45236746
>Oh mighty god, we make pilgramage to your realm t--
>GET OFF MY LAWN
>>
>>45236594
>God of fertility has a massive fucking sack
>>
>>45236735

Honestly this.

A god is beyond the boundaries of gender or even binaryism.
>>
>>45243590
>Trying to emulate something as disgustingly complex as religion is something I avoid
This is honestly the last thing I expected to read
>>
>>45244044
The more I learn about the complexity of development of culture, the less interested I get in simplistic depictions of it.
>>
File: real-santa-claus.jpg (228KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
real-santa-claus.jpg
228KB, 700x400px
>>45236594
Like This
>>
>>45244095
I can get behind that.
>mfw me and my entire group are Christians and the guy in seminary suggests playing DnD
>>45244276
What traditionally feminine thing does Santa Claus represent?
>>
>>45243322
I've always prefered to keep my settings' gods outside the purview of "yup, they definitely exist, and we can measurably prove it." In [assumed D&D great wheel noteurope] this requires some modifications to the nature of divine magic so that it could just be a different branch of magic who's methods/initiation-rites are a closely guarded secret of various churches, and modifications to resurrection to make people either not remember the time between death and rising, or have weird dreamlike memories that don't corroborate.

Such a world allows for faithful characters to actually express faith, and for churches to be able to splinter and infight without daddy being able to solve their disagreement.
>>
>>45244311
>What traditionally feminine thing does Santa Claus represent?
He clearly represents generosity, is strongly associated with families, especially children, and is primarily revered as part of a birth-celebrating ritual, so yeah...
>>
>>45244453
>families
>children
>women only
Takes two to tango, but I get those. But how is generosity feminine?
>>
File: 1437962520909.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1437962520909.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>45237184
Michal is the hero we need and deserve instead of Dresden
>>
>>45244531
I'd be happy with just a short story from his perspective. I'd like to get inside Michael's head.
>yfw he's just as ridiculously horny as Harry
>but every observation ends with "but she's got nothing on Charity's [body part] [/spoiler]
>>
>>45244518
It is merciful and providing, i suppose.
As opposed to just and demanding, like the efforts of men.
>>
>>45244947
But the efforts of men are meant to be providing, i.e. putting food on the table.
>>
>>45236735
This concept is relatively new. In ancient times gods were just humans with super powers basically.

You don't have to be a huge pretentious faggot about it.
>>
>>45245005
Yeah, but they don't actually go out and give, they make and trade.
Women give out of love which is necessary, men take out of necessity which is loving.
>>
>>45245258
When men go out and give, it tends to be the last thing they ever give.
>>
>>45236594

Many ancient civs had intersex (hermaphrodite) gods, the greeks literally had Hermaphroditus, the son/daughter of Hermes and Aphrodite

The mexicas (aztecs) had Ometéotl (lit. "Two-god") an androgynous god/goddess of duality, which was actually the fusion of Ometecuhtli (lit."Two-Lord") god of masculinity and Omecíhuatl (lit. "Two-Lady") goddess of femininity.

Many North American native tribes believed homosexuals and bisexuals were "two-spirit people" and accept it as completeley natural and they held special positions as warriors or shamans in the tribe.

You could explore these and other similar themes and expand upon them.
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 512x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 512x1024px
Athena- defender of truth and justice, wisdom, and strategy
>>
>>45245088
Eh, depends on the culture. The fucking Babylonian angels though, that's some trippy shit.
>>
>>45236594
Goddess of thunder and lightning:

https://youtu.be/6l_DwhjDIGs
>>
I'd probably just take inspiration from the historical record, lots of gods/goddesses ruling over conventionally masculine/feminine domains.
>>
>>45242966
>hebrew cults
>not lovecraftian

m8...
>>
File: gaiztoa.jpg (58KB, 545x810px) Image search: [Google]
gaiztoa.jpg
58KB, 545x810px
>>45236594

>or a Goddess of thunder and lightning

>Mari lives underground, normally in a cave in a high mountain, where she and her consort Sugaar meet every Friday (the night of the Akelarre or witch-meeting) to conceive the storms that will bring fertility (and sometimes disgrace) to the land and the people.
>Mari was associated with various forces of nature, including thunder and wind. As the personification of the Earth, she may have been worshipped in association with Lurbira.
>Mari is the main character of Basque mythology, having, unlike other creatures that share the same spiritual environment, a god-like nature. Mari is often witnessed as a woman dressed in red. She is also seen as a woman of fire, woman-tree and as thunderbolt. Additionally, she is identified with red animals (cow, ram, horse), and with the black he-goat.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.