[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 407
Thread images: 44

File: 0a70a9abb6b3.jpg (279KB, 1229x1500px) Image search: [Google]
0a70a9abb6b3.jpg
279KB, 1229x1500px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf
>>
File: WarbandWorldMap.png (4MB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
WarbandWorldMap.png
4MB, 2400x1800px
This is your next campaign setting

Wat do?
>>
>>45234752
I hold a feast
>>
>>45234574
What paths and features do you people want to see?
>>
>>45234752
MORE BUTTER
MORE RAIDING
>>
>>45234991

Shaman Barbarian path that's, like, 1/4 caster with its own original spell list.
>>
>>45234752
Drink from your skull.
>>
If I replaced all the arcane spellcasting in the bard class with divine, would I be asking for trouble or would it work alright?
>>
I like the fluff for psionics but I wish they did more with the Far Realm stuff in the crunch
>>
>>45235051
It will be an EK but with druid's list.
>>
>>45234574
That's a very nice butt. How do her pants fit that closely in the crack?
>>
>>45235117

I don't really like any of the available lists for a casting Barb, I'd really rather they made up some new Shamanistic spells. Doesn't have to be a lot of them, guy's only gonna get up to second level spells.
>>
>>45235082
Wtf do you think what you wrote means. Bard has a lot of overlapping spells with cleric and Druid, and theirs no explicit arcane/divine divide in magic in 5e anyway.
>>
File: trust.png (278KB, 480x321px) Image search: [Google]
trust.png
278KB, 480x321px
Two sessions ago, the party met an NPC, who we'll call Frodo. Frodo was captured, and last session, they unexpectedly found he had escaped his captors and made it back to town in one piece. Frodo told the party the location of his captors' hideout, and encouraged the party to go after them. The party enthusiastically agreed.

Of course, this was all a doppleganger deliberately leading them into an ambush.

Now, once they make it through the ambush, they're going to find the real Frodo, and suddenly realize they've been had.

I want to send them right down paranoia lane, so, I need for the real Frodo to somehow act sufficiently suspicious that they aren't sure HE isn't really the double. Eventually, they'll make it back to town, and DoppleFrodo will be long gone (with, of course, a conveniently plausible alibi left behind).

Any ideas? I want the party to be pic related by the end of the session.
>>
>>45235207
Removal of non-cleric/druid spells in favor of more spells from those lists.
>>
>>45235219
Maybe there was never a real Frodo. Maybe it was all doppelgangers all along
>>
>>45235233
What would be the point? More evocation versus support spells?

I wouldn't mess with it too far.
>>
>>45235251
Doing a campaign in a setting without arcane magic, so tossing most wizard/sorcerer/warlock spells don't fit.
>>
>>45235131
M A G I C
A>>>>>>I
G<<<<<G
I>>>>>>A
C I G A M
>>
>>45234991
Swordsaint/samurai archetype for the monk. Gunslinger archetype for the fighter. Divination themed sorcerer bloodline. Divine zealot barbarian that gets a channel divinity. Dirge of doom necromancer bard. Invocations that make the bladelock worth taking.
>>
>>45235243
In either case, my concern is just with deflecting suspicion off TownFrodo, and onto CapturedFrodo (Punished Frodo?). Otherwise, the party's instinct will be to trust the prisoner and distrust the one who sent them there.
>>
>>45235266
Sorry I meant more support versus evocation obviously.

Bards super light on spells like that as is. Most of it is subtle. http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com Peep this sorter and look at the bard list by school. It's not super flashy.

But I mean do as thou wilt. If you're only taking out the flashiest spells it'll be okay.
>>
>>45235287
Have more Frodos show up?
>>
>>45235339
At this early stage, I can't imagine two Frodos in one room not ending with the party killing one of them, and their paranoia is not yet great enough for me to allow that.
>>
>>45235339
>the players find an entire village of Frodos.
>>
>>45235283
>dirge of doom
whats that?
>>
>>45235370
Emo necromancer bard.
>>
>>45234991
DESU I'm more interested in them fixing wot4e and the ranger.

AND maybe adding some more high level martial options.

But we don't really need more archetypes or anything. Sword coast was IMO shit. Nothing I would want added.

Though I did like the scout and college of blades UA so idk maybe I'M full of shit.

But expanded wot4e would be first on my list. And revised Hunter and Beast Master would be nice.

It would be cool if they just added Wild Cohort (the feat) style animal companions. Teaching them tricks. No action limitations but they can only do certain things reliably. Slight scaling. Downtime to teach them new things.
>>
What are some reasons Fairies/Elves would want to come into the Material World?
>>
>>45235283
>swordsaint
like the one from pathfinder?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/samurai/archetypes/paizo---samurai-archetypes/sword-saint
>>
>>45235363
>>45235339
>an entire guild of dopplegangers acting in concert to destroy the minds of four people, slaughtering and replacing entire towns

what the fuck did you do to deserve such wrath
>>
>>45235418
More cushion for the pushin on the ladies
>>
>>45235418
Got drunk on tulip-nectar and stumbled through a ring of mushrooms
>>
>>45235380
haha, mite b cool
>>
File: Calradia.jpg (3MB, 3471x3244px) Image search: [Google]
Calradia.jpg
3MB, 3471x3244px
>>45234752

Deflect with an alternate reality
>>
>>45235418
To become drug dealers.
>>
>>45235418
To steal human babies and replace them with changelings
>>
>>45235383
>wot4e
so say we all, brother.
>ranger
yes.
>>
>>45235443
>>45235450

So elves are in our world because they went on a bender, woke up here, and are dtf?
>>
>>45235491
thats pretty evil, yo.
>>
Have any of you had any success with a caster focused on manipulating the weather?
>>
>>45235283
>Invocations that make the bladelock worth taking.
Keep dreaming
>>
>>45235515
It's got mythological precedent, though.
>>
So...I was wondering, Rules of Nature!, how do you accomplish that in 5e?
>>
>>45235842
What constitutes "Rules of Nature!"?
>>
>>45235753
Not even the ability to deliver spells via touch through your pact weapon, with a Dex save instead of another save or an attack roll?
>>
>>45235842
If you want to play a cyborg samurai, Warforged Fighter with longsword is about as close as you can get just now.

If you want to play a metal gear, I'm not sure what to say.
>>
File: 1429456148963.jpg (188KB, 1060x477px) Image search: [Google]
1429456148963.jpg
188KB, 1060x477px
What are the top three ranged damage-dealing builds for fun and effectiveness?
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/2016-february-survey

Fill out the survey. Fill out every survey. It is literally the only thing Wizards cares about when it comes to reviewing UA content.
>>
>>45235802
>>45235515

Yeah but elves should also be playable.

Who wants to play baby stealers?
>>
>>45235913
I guess you haven't played an evil campaign
>>
>>45235889
>If you want to play a cyborg samurai, Warforged Fighter with longsword is about as close as you can get just now.
I think mystic order of the immortal/barbarian berserker fits better
>>
>>45235913
What if elves are the babies the fairies left behind?
>>
>>45235942
I generally don't, no. At most we go neutral.
>>
>>45235896
Battle Master with Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert with a hand crossbow has the highest possible ranged damage output with a weapon.

Sorclock using hex and quickened EB has extremely high ranged damage as well. Not anywhere near the nova of the BM before but its method is more sustainable and it has more shit to do using spells.
>>
>>45235961
Throw Ambuscade Ranger 1 and Assassin Rogue 3 onto that Battle Master Fighter to be 100% absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>45235955
Elves are the main people of the Feywild, High and Dark being two sides of some magic aristocratic Wonderland cold war, with Wood Elves being abberrants that live hidden realms in the prime world. They can't be the weird changeling babies left behind with this premise.
>>
>>45235913
I do.

>>45236049
Wood elves can be weird changeling babies with no problem.
>>
>>45236152
>Wood elves can be weird changeling babies
I don't get how, explain.
>>
>>45236225
Well, there are elves on the material plane because they were left there when their parents substituted them for someone's child. They become Wood elves when they become old enough to run away from home and find others of their kind.
>>
>>45236288
>Well, there are elves on the material plane because they were left there when their parents substituted them for someone's child.

Ok, makes sense but that just brings up the question of why do they want human babies so much they leave their own young in their place?
>>
>>45236333
Because it's the only countermeasure they have against those fucking wizards who keep stealing their changelings and replacing them with human babies.
>>
>>45236380
Baby stealing wars? Fucking wizards.
>>
>>45235955
Faeries take human babies and replace them with elves. The elven features don't come in until puberty, at which point most parents won't react well.
>>
75% done. Now including pictures stolen from across the Internet!

Ugh, so close...
>>
>Can't be a dumb wizard
>Can't be a scatterbrain monk
>Can't be a introvert warlock
I wish D&D didn't make stats the single most important thing and base for absolutely everything in your character
>>
>>45237328
uh... depends on what you call dumb.
A wizard can be pretty dumb, yo.
>>
>>45237328

Your stats don't matter so long as you don't multiclass. You can be a Wizard with 8 Int, I think.
>>
>>45237426
>You can be a Wizard with 8 Int, I think.
You can, but literally everybody will pass your spells DCs
>>
>>45237328
By definition, a competent wizard has to have book learning, because that's how he learns spells. Similarly, a warlock channels his patron's magic through force of personality. And the monk's self-knowledge is crucial to his usage of ki.

You COULD make a low Int wizard or a low Cha warlock, but they would simply be ineffective, just like a retarded doctor or construction worker with osteoporosis would not do well today.
>>
I started making a really in depth rework of 5e, mostly (perhaps even embarrassingly so) to add more character creation sim to the whole thing again. It pulled from the playtest, from pathfinder, from 3.5, from 4e, from a few other games.

Idk maybe 5e just isn't the game for me, but I like the way the backbone of the game is structured, and I like all the classes and stuff.

Is there a point to continuing on? Should I look for a different system? I don't even want to DM anyway, but I don't really think I'll find a DM who shares my same sensibilities in terms of what they/I would want in a game ultimately. But I like being a PC. But continuation means abandoning the PC lifestyle I think. For a while anyway.

I need to herd cats and get a few close friends together to run this shit I guess.

>>45235439
Heres an Iaijutsu Focus adaptation I made for 5e for what I was talking about above. Its barely modified from the oriental adventures skill.
>>
Is there any way to recognize a Wild Shaped druid in animal form? Like, is there any way for a player to discern that an animal (or NPC) is in Wild Shape?

Do you think it would be feasible for a druid to recognize another druid like that? Like say with a Nature check?
>>
>>45237457

Yeah, I know, but if he wants to play a dumb Wizard, he certainly can. Doesn't mean being a dumb Wizard is a particularly good or fun thing to do, but hey, whatever floats his boat.
>>
>>45237517
Yes, considering animals that are Wild Shaped druids are way more intelligent.
>>
File: BATTLE OF THE AGES by DanP -HT-.jpg (203KB, 640x363px) Image search: [Google]
BATTLE OF THE AGES by DanP -HT-.jpg
203KB, 640x363px
How would you go about making a smoking pipe/bong magic item or magic weapon?

I was thinking maybe a greataxe you can light up pre-combat and get bonuses to str/damage or AC at the expense of dex or to hit, but I want it to have some more interesting magical properties than that

>dude weed lmao
>>
>>45237457
>>45237521
Don't use spells with save DCs. Booming Blade is based off of your combat ability. I'm sure you can find other spells that completely don't require your casting ability.
>>
>>45237517
Druids can recognize each other by speaking Druidic. They don't have good Nature checks because they're not Int-based.

Other people can recognize Druids by sticking them in a cage in such a position that they can't take short rests for an hour and two minutes, and seeing if they revert - if they don't, they're either regular animals, or extremely patient level 20 Druids - or by killing them, upon which they also revert.

There are probably other ways, such as Awaken or other spells that fizzle based on mental stats.
>>
>>45237874
It's literally an improvised club. If you want to actually smoke weed while fighting, consult your DM on drug effects.

dude weed lmao
>>
>>45237503
Oh, I see.
>>
>>45237989
Yeah but it's not just smoking weed
it's magic fantasy weed dude lmao
>>
>>45237874
>How would you go about making a smoking pipe/bong magic item or magic weapon?

I wouldn't, because I don't have a Bob Marley poster in my bedroom, vape, or play WoW.
>>
>>45237940
>>45237826
So in a random chance setting, the implied answer based on you two is no.

Like if the PCs just ran across a wild animal in the forest, there would be nothing (other than erratic behavior) that would tip the PCs off that it is actually a Wild Shaped druid.
>>
>>45237940
Surely there's some sort of a detect magic spell?
>>
>>45238070
(You)
>>
>>45238094
Rechecking the PHB, Nature apparently only represents your ability to recall lore about terrain, plants and animals, the weather, and natural cycle', so that wouldn't be the right check anyway as it's knowledge, but not necessarily application.

However, I could see an argument that a Druid that is attempting to conceal its nature from another Druid would be required to make an opposed Deception check against the other's Insight check, which would be a significantly difficult check. That said, all this would be up to your DM to rule; there is no default rule for Druids to hide from or identify each other on sight as far as I know.

>>45238149
Depends whether Wild Shape detects as a magical effect. It isn't explicitly a spell, though a DM could rule that way. However, as Detect Magic only detects the school of magic, a Wild Shaped Druid would probably detect as identical to a regular Polymorphed creature.
>>
>>45238295
I ask because I plan on having my PCs run into a group of druids that are bounty hunting them, and will initially be disguised as dogs. My players have a habit of saying things like, "Awww, wouldn't I be able to see that or use Check X to determine that?"

Just wanted to see if I could nip that in the bud.
>>
>>45238358
Passive Insight, or rolled if they're actively searching, with a pretty large penalty unless they are very familiar with the behaviors of dogs, I would say.

Just roll with anything they can justify, because you can always trust players to come up with the strangest shit, but slap penalties or disadvantage on there if it's something they logically won't know or be familiar with.
>>
>>45237328
You could if you didn't have the imagination and creativity level of a Turing machine.

Don't blame the system for your insistence on taking everything literally.
>>
>>45237328

>can't be a dumb wizard

why...why would you want to?

how would you even know any spells? Wizards do their entire thing through memorization. That's like trying to play a dumb scientist. Why?
>>
>>45237908
Be a necromancer. You don't need INT to have tons of skelebros
>>
>>45239632
Prepared spells is Int mod + Wizard level (minimum of one).

So with INT 8 (-1) you could still prepare 1 spell at 1st level Wizard, and at 3rd level you could prepare 2 spells. Make use of rituals and Animate dead and you are golden
>>
>>45239687
Damn skippy. Be a Dwarf, for weapons and medium armor. Use Booming Blade with your weapon, and lead the charge of an undead army.
>>
>>45234752
Destroy the Swadians, of course.
>>
>>45238358
Moonbeam reveals and reverts shapeshifted creatures. Your party wouldn't ever have that unless one of them is a druid or a wizard who somehow learned of the spell.
>>
File: 1454179904526.jpg (50KB, 460x333px) Image search: [Google]
1454179904526.jpg
50KB, 460x333px
>>45239632

Some scientists rely on charisma
>>
>>45239809
What about a Dex/Cha-based Halfling Charlatan Wizard with 8 Int, who revolves around bluffing people into thinking he knows what he's doing, tricking people into disarming themselves with Friends before shanking them, and chucking a Sleep out when things inevitably go to hell in a handbasket.
>>
File: you know what I'm thinking.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
you know what I'm thinking.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
>>45234574
How many times does she take the knot a day?
I need fresh doujins like that, the Rush Rise Line is getting kinda dull by now and I've never liked the chubby characters.
>>
>>45240123
That works, too. Go Divination, grab lucky feat. When you really feel the need to use a spell attack, you'll find a way to hit.
>>
Totally off topic, but is there a 'take 20' mechanic in 5e? It was something I saw a lot in previous editions, but I've not yet seen or heard of anyone taking 20 in a 5e game.
Would it work the same way, or is there anything preventing/changing it? I just want to know why I saw a sudden cessation of the mechanic.
>>
>>45240460
It's not a hard rule, but it's recommended in the DMG. "If a character takes 10 times long than normal to do a task, assume they automatically succeed," or something like that.
>>
>>45240460
The bounded accuracy mechanic means that DCs are overall lower than they used to be. As such, 20s become far more potent, as the actual dice rolls themselves make up a more significant percentage of any check or roll - a DC of 30 is still impossible for a level 1 character, but a Very Hard DC of 25 is still achievable for some characters on a natural 20.
>>
>>45237306
>1st to 2nd level
>defeat six wolves

I've been wasting my time with lifting weights, I'll never stop being an NPC at this rate
>>
>>45240572
>>45240590
Thanks, I'll have to bring that up to my group sometime.
I think I'll go with the 10x rule. It seems fair for when the characters have a bit of extra time and don't roll super well the first time.
Of course, I'm thinking about using it more for tracking easy food for dinner and not climbing a building during combat. You get the idea.
>>
>Order of the Awakened restores more HPs than Order of the Immortal
The fuck is this shit?
>>
>>45239764

yeah...but why would you want to? who wants to be the lump?
>>
>>45240688
I heard that Fighter2/Awakened8 is better Immortal than Immortal10
>>
>>45240798
>why would you want to?
That's a very good question. Ask the person who was complaining that it couldn't be done. A dumb wizard is weaker than a smart wizard for a reason. If you want someone who has natural power instead of learned, be a sorcerer, because that's what they are.
>>
File: hurry and die.jpg (280KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
hurry and die.jpg
280KB, 1280x1440px
>>45240590
>>45240572
>>45240460
>>45240682

Taking 20 is retarded. I will now explain to you why.

The concept behind taking 20 is "I will proceed to roll the dice as many times as possible until I eventually hit a 20, so for the sake of speed, let's skip to whenever I do and assume it took ~20x as long as it normally would have."

The problem here is that you're rolling for something that clearly doesn't fucking matter. Why doesn't it matter? Well:
>there's no urgency or time limit
>there's no consequences for failure
Which means nothing is fucking happening and it doesn't fucking matter.

If your players have that much time to waste (aka, no monster is currently in the process of actively stabbing the princess), and failure doesn't carry any consequences, there's no point in having them roll in the first place- nor is there any point in the thing they're rolling to do. Conversely, it means the roll is impossible, which means there's no point in fucking rolling.

Examples:
>the room is clear of monsters
>the door out is locked
>let me spend 20 in-game minutes picking the lock, I take 20

No, fuck your DM.

Instead:
>the door out is locked
>the party is under no time constraint and would theoretically eventually pick a lock with enough tries
>don't even include a fucking lock in the first place

>the door out is locked
>the DC on the lock is literally impossible even with a perfect roll
>that's not a locked door, that's what we refer to as "the wall"

>the door out is locked
>a goblin is currently rape-stabbing the princess, picking this lock needs to happen FAST or the princess will be full of knife holes full of goblin semen
>roll to pick the lock

>the door out is locked
>if the party fails at picking the lock, it will break, and they'll have to take the long way back around through the screaming pigfire hallway
>roll to pick the lock
>>
>>45236380
Eh I don't like that very much. Fairies/Elves need to be doing something with the babies they steal. It's not to repopulate since they replace their own children with human babies. What makes babies so valuable to the Fey?
>>
>>45240865
Mystics don't actually have multiclassing rules yet.
>>
>>45241045

>the door out is locked
>the party is under no time constraint and would theoretically eventually pick a lock with enough tries
>the lock magically disappears

>the door out is locked
>the DC on the lock is literally impossible even with a perfect roll
>the door magically disappears

You are so fucking wrong it hurts
>>
>>45241045

You're my new favorite poster. Wanna make sexy times?
>>
>>45237306
This is just what I was looking for anon. Good stuff, thanks.
>>
File: 1433346916587.jpg (53KB, 850x550px) Image search: [Google]
1433346916587.jpg
53KB, 850x550px
>>45241127
>>
>>45241113
I'm not sure you entirely understand what his point was.
>>
>>45241111
>implying it matters with non caster clases
>>
>>45241113
>the lock magically disappears
>the door magically disappears

Here's a hint: that's actually code for "don't include the door in the fucking first place, because it's pointless". I'm sorry for not including you on the piece of information, it was vital.

There is no fucking reason to add a door that can't be opened by the party. If it literally can't be opened, it's not a door, is it? So there's no reason to have it there.

There is no fucking reason to add a lock that is picked automatically regardless of the player's roll. If you can't fail a roll, it's not a roll, it's a waste of time. Either remove the lock because it doesn't matter, remove the roll and just narrate the player opening it when he says he wants to, or add a reason the roll actually fucking matters. Room is filling with poison, the lock is brittle (does that even make sense) and will break on failure, or something.

Why are you wasting time on shit that doesn't matter? Why? When a player builds a character with lockpicking skills, would he rather pick pointless locks all day that are only there to waste 30 seconds of his time as he says "I take 20", or pick one lock every now and then that actually makes a big difference in the story?
>>
File: 1396927178329.jpg (28KB, 246x216px) Image search: [Google]
1396927178329.jpg
28KB, 246x216px
>>45241193

Yes, like that.
>>
>>45241045
Behind your anger and stupidity, you have fine points.

If a roll is impossible, don't make them roll it, just tell them. But don't remove it from the game. This isn't actually related to taking 20, why'd you say it?

If a roll is so low, they're going to get it no matter what they roll, with no difference if they get a 1 or a 20, don't make them roll it, just tell them they do it. You don't need to remove the obstacle. A cell will be locked whether they have +15 or not. Not actually related to taking 20, why'd you say it?

Also, 20 times an action is 2 minutes, not 20 minutes. If a lock isn't super easy to pick, but failing won't break it, the player might just want to skip the die roll and say "I spend 2 minutes to pick the lock."

You don't take 20 when you are under a time limit, or in combat.

Taking 20 is essentially "this is the longest it could possibly take someone to complete a task that is possible and does not have a penalty from failing." It should be used accordingly. If someone can pass something, but only on a 20, you can either just sit their until they roll a 20, or just tell them how long it takes them. Or let them roll once, and use the roll they got to determine how long it takes them.
>>
>>45241265

For ambiance and setting realism.. you autistic faggot.

Not for every game, sure. However, some games can build suspense and flavor with little things like that. Can make for a quiet pacing moment before a big reveal.
>>
>>45234991

Modifying the Ranger's beast companion to make it less shit would be nice. Every time the ranger gains a level, so should his beast (gains HP relative to its hit die) and gains other pluses as well.
>>
>>45241265
A lock that is impossible for them to pick could be opened by other means. Sometimes things will be exceptionally secure. It's called a fucking world. Everything isn't there to fit exactly to the players. That makes it feel fake. If you want that, play a fucking video game.
>>
>>45241045
What this really violates is the 'if the roll doesn't matter, don't have them roll just assume success' rule.

The exception here is the question of time. Tracking time can make the issue matter.

>the door out is locked
>don't even include a fucking lock in the first place

Including a lock still makes sense.

1) the amount of time that picking it takes may matter.
2) there may have been monsters depending on prior PC actions
3) if it makes sense for a lock to be there, a lock should be there

However, the DM shouldn't hesitate to simply narrate that the lock is picked. Just skip the roll if it makes things move better. "After several attempts you open the door, it took you about ten minutes"
>>
>>45241557

Its actually not that bad.

Its kind of an annoying trend that is something is not optimized or being balanced perfectly on par with everything else "its shit".

I've played a ranger beastmaster. I've had them played in many groups. They aren't super optimized, however they did do interesting things when played well, just as a know a wizard who plays like a tard, so "sucks".

They don't suck at all. But then again... I can have fun without placing my insecurities and overcompensation out on public display.
>>
>>45241679
I think the problem with the beast master is that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. The game seems to want to treat the beast as a summon. It is there, it dies, the PC gets a new one, repeat - it doesn't matter beyond that.

But I think that most players want it to be more akin to a companion/friend. More like a best buddy in an roleplay sense, an extension of the character.

Beyond the 'balance' issue, that is the biggest problem I have with the class. And the balance thing isn't really that big of a deal.
>>
>>45241679
>if something is not optimized or balanced on par with everything else "it's shit"
Yes. Yes it is. If somethig is OBJECTIVELY WEAKER in a game where balance is important, you should rebalance it. Yes, they aren't completely batshit useless, but if you want that fluff, you are literally choosing to be less usefull than you could be. Just because it is a team based game, does not mean that this is acceptable to just leave them as is. Your comment about insecurities is irrelevant when it comes to ACTUAL FUCKING GAME DESIGN.
>>
Assertion: The problem with the Beastmaster belies on the fact that, as is, the Ranger gets an Extra Attack feature like any other martial.

Solution: Remove the Ranger's Extra Attack feature, have subclasses feature it, and have the Beastmaster's would-be Extra Attack feature go to his beast companion, perhaps in triplicate.
>>
>>45241557
My fix: Your available animal companion can be CR1/2 at level 7, CR1 at level 11 and CR2 at level 15. Your companion can also be Large instead of Medium. Companions CANNOT multiattack until you get the Bestial Fury feature at level 11.
>>
>>45234752
Begin scientific investigation into those geometrically regular mountains.
>>
>>45241984
Every time I see this I can't help but think that promoting the ranger abandoning his trusty companion is a shit thing to do.
>>
Level 5 and the rouge of the party already has +9 to his deception...
Is this normal?
Also, if someone opts to "take a ten" is that the same as rolling a 10 before the modifiers, afterwhich you'd add on your proficiency bonuses and stuff or like actually taking a 10 as your score for whatever you're attempting to do so you can't score any higher than that 10?
>>
Level 2 with 9 HP. Is this a problem?
>>
>>45242045
I'd let them upgrade it's stat block to a higher CR monsters.
>>
>>45242121
>9 HP
I hope you enjoy being killed by anything
>>
>>45242121

Why do you have 8 Con as a Wizard? What is WRONG with you? Are you in a party with 8 Barbarians and 5 archer Fighters?
>>
>>45241859

If you only pay attention to the numbers, then what kind of game are you playing anyway? 5e is dead easy, and as long as then DM is not being a cunt, you should be ok playing a half orc wizard or etc. If you fear that the DM is only going to throw hard encounters over you, or that you become so connected to a piece of paper you cannot possibly let that character die, then by all means shit all over the beastmaster.

>>45241855

Valid point. There could be a lot more separation. I tend to try to role play/adjudicate them differently so it spreads the class wealth a bit.
>>
>>45242166
6 con as a bard
>>
>>45242119
If he has expertise and 16-17 cha, +9 is possible for a rogue at 5th.

Taking 10 isn't really a thing you do in 5e. There's "passive skill scores" but really only Perception ever applies to that. If you ever actively do anything, you're going to be making a regular check. If you can "take 10" in 3.5e terms, you really shouldn't be rolling at all.
>>
File: 06575221.jpg (87KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
06575221.jpg
87KB, 500x503px
>>45242188
>>
File: 2016-02-05_18-56-16.png (10KB, 82x443px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-05_18-56-16.png
10KB, 82x443px
>>45242216
I do have 17 strength though, so that's something.
>>
>>45242211

I don't agree 100%. I mean you don't want to hang up a game with pointless dice... but rolls can build suspense. Even seemingly pointless ones.
>>
>>45242211
Yeah that's where he got the +9, it really makes any kind of conversation a balls, but it makes sense because he's the party face, the orc fighter can only say his name and the wizard is batshit crazy.

Cool, it's just something I'd heard about here and there, and I didn't like the idea of him saying he'll just take 10's the whole way through conversations and get constant 19's whenever he opens his mouth.
>>
>>45242298
What's the point in having all that strength if you can't take a hit?
>>
>>45242353
No need to tank hits if you can kill them before they hit you.
>>
Is taking Magic Initiate the only way to get more cantrips?
>>
>>45242418
Spell Sniper.

Multiclassing.
>>
>>45242378
That requires you to have maxed Dex for Initiative. Not being a Bard may also help, half proficiency to Initiative checks aside.
>>
File: LeWTFFace.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LeWTFFace.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>45242378
>>45242298

You are the exact opposite of the guy I was offering to do earlier.
>>
>>45234752
Wait for a while, since it's almost harvesting season.
>>
The party doesn't yet know I'm a dragonborn.
>>
>>45235287
CapturedFrodo misspells someone's name. If called out, he starts to stutter and say he's just nervous from being held captive all this time.
>>
>>45235707
You probably can do this with Storm Sorcerer just fine
>>
>>45237328
EK with 8 INT can be pretty rad.
Shield all day
>>
>>45242187
I don't only pay attention to the numbers. My point is still that you can't use "it's a team game" and "it's not about the numbers" as an excuse for something being objectively weaker. This isn't a bad race and class combination, this is a class that is bad despite best options. Your points are nothing when it comes to game design.

As a point, any game with a DM can't be called easy. Nor can they be called hard. I mean the game as a whole, not individual games. Considering most people don't want to just walk around and do everything no problem, we'll say that most games aren't "easy". I don't think my DM is a cunt for making my actions actually matter. Because if the game is "easy", you may as well be doing freeform.

So, assuming you play in a normal game, where your actions matter, if you are playing a class that is weaker, you are choosing to matter less. Having objectively weaker options is bad game design.

The thing about bad game design in 2016, is we have the ability to FIX IT.

Why the fuck do you think they SHOULD stay weaker? What is the point in NOT balancing things?
>>
Skills in 5e that don't seem like they should even be in the game:
>sleight of hand
>insight
>perception
>arcana
>history
>nature
>religion
>performance
>animal handling

So, to be honest, I almost wonder whether the game needs skills at all.
>>
>>45243686
>don't seem like they should even be in the game
Why?
>>
>>45243686
>knowledge skills and performance
I can understand where you are coming from. Performance is flavour, knowledge skills could be useful, but are pretty limited as far as people actually using them goes.

>The rest of them.
The fuck?
>>
File: 1448141306046.gif (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448141306046.gif
35KB, 300x300px
>>45243686

I like skills, they allow for greater depth of character in game, and for my action and enjoyment of the players.

Take sleight of hand for instance. No player really wants to be like "I pick the peasant's pocket" and the DM just blurts out "you succeed and get 2 copper coins."

There's just no suspense, action, or drama. You're just told an outcome with absolutely no sense of having earned it.

For the game I run honestly about half the damn physical dice rolls are skill checks, and each of the ones you listed has shown up in my game.
>>
>>45243686
Knowledge skills are there to bridge the gap between player and character. They represent things your character knows that you yourself do not.

Sleight of hand could conceivably be combined with stealth, which is what I assume you're going for, but cheating at cards is separate enough from tactical espionage action that there can definitely be an argument there.

Perception and insight need to be there, the fuck are you on about?

Animal handling COULD be folded into nature, except that nature is an Int skill, while animal handling is Wis as it is learned from experience and not theory. They need to remain separate, until such time as skills are divorced from ability scores.

Performance is retarded, because instrument proficiencies overlap with it. One of them needs to go, though I'd personally keep performance as it is wider in scope.
>>
>>45242823
IRL?
>>
>>45243719
>>45243770

>sleight of hand
Just push everything in here into deception, it all revlolves around misdirection anyways. Also, that will dissuade some people from feeling like they need to steal everything not nailed down go take advantage of their skill set.

Plus, lockpicking has a toolset anyways. Roll using that instead.

>insight
>arcana
>history
>nature
>religion
Knowledge checks are stupid. You either know it or you don't, it's like that take 20 argument above all over again.

Insight is the least stupid of the bunch, but it just seems to usually be an "are they lying yes or no" check, which is kind of a dumb mechanic.

>perception
Between this skill, investigation, and passive perception, there's so much overlap it's irrelevant. Passively notice thing and actively look for thing are all I need.

>performance
Rarely comes up (unless you're a bard), there's instrument proficiencies anyways, and it's just so broad and out of place.

>animal handling
Even more rarely comes up, and is basically "horse riding" once you factor out everything that ends up under nature or survival instead.

>>45243858
I don't hate skill checks, the skills themselves just seem dumb.

Like, for pickpocketing- that's a deception check, easy. Pickpockets are all about keeping your attention off your wristwatch.

I'm not saying to stop rolling for this stuff, it just seems like the specific way we determine and differentiate the bonuses for said rolls has been poorly executed.
>>
>>45243989

>just push everything in here into deception

but they're not even NEARLY the same thing.

>Insight is a dumb mechanic

why? it seems fine, you're able to tell how much someone isn't telling the whole truth or if they're hiding something. seems fine to me.

>perception

and investigation are widely different anyways.
>>
>>45243989
>Push it into deception
Deception is about lying.
>Roll using lockpick
... Pick pockets, with a lockpick?

>knowledge checks are stupid
Opinions. Also, you're stupid.
>You either know it or you don't.
Yes. That is the point of the check. It's good you understand that.
>It's like that take 20 argument
How?

>Perception
Everything you say about this is dumb. Maybe you just don't understand what perception and investigation are and why they are different, but they need to be. Also, you NEED perception to have PASSIVE perception.

>performance
Yeah, it's flavour, and probably just a hold over from 3.5. Could have been done better.

>animal handling
>nature or survival
Nothing from animal handling is nature or survival, though you could put most of it into survival and replace it with "ride".
>>
>>45243989
>Just push everything in here into deception
I don't see that picking a lock with a politician's smile instead of nimble fingers is possible.

>>45243989
>Knowledge checks are stupid. You either know it or you don't
>Insight is the least stupid of the bunch, but it just seems to usually be an "are they lying yes or no" check, which is kind of a dumb mechanic.
Yes, you either know it or you don't. But knowing that gravity pulls down requires effort to recall than knowing the quantum mechanics of gravity. Similarly, being able to see through an experienced conman's bluff is a lot harder than telling that your neighbor is hiding a limp. The result is binary, but the difficulties are different. Knowledge checks in particular tend to have a scale of yes/no thresholds at which additional information are revealed.

Perhaps your DM is just shit.

>performance
>Rarely comes up (unless you're a bard), there's instrument proficiencies anyways
Agreed with you on this, though I think it's better to keep performance as a broad skill than require your bard to train in a dozen specific instruments to do what you want him to, and then still find that your DM doesn't consider viola proficiency to let you play a cello.

>animal handling
>Even more rarely comes up, and is basically "horse riding" once you factor out everything that ends up under nature or survival instead.
That it rarely comes up in your games doesn't mean it's unnecessary. Nature doesn't fit as it's an Int skill, and hunting animals in the wild is hardly the same as taming them. I'd give Handle Animal a wider scope of abilities (perhaps such as Insight for non-humanoids) but I wouldn't remove it straight.
>>
>>45244211
>Deception is about lying.
And picking pockets, cheating at cards, or sneaking in a knife are about misdirection. Misdirection is a subset of deception.

>perception and investigation are different, they need to be.
They really don't. While they're different concepts logically, they're almost identical in terms of what the player is telling you he wants to accomplish. The biggest difference is that perception helps you at Where's Waldo while investigation mostly helps you with things that consist of "spend X time and a moron could find this", which doesn't need its own skill. So keep both perceptions and toss investigation, whatever. Only need the two.

>Also, you NEED perception to have PASSIVE perception.
Yes yes I said that, don't be pedantic.

>knowledge checks
There's no penalty for failing the check, except the DM says "you're not allowed to try again, because I said so". And the random chance is weird too. Your character should know what they know and not know everything else, and the DM should determine which is which. It's a group of skills which behave nothing like the other skills. And it seems to manage feeling like you didn't earn the knowledge.

>>45244363
>I don't see that picking a lock with a politician's smile instead of nimble fingers is possible.

.... which is why I said use the existing lock picking tools proficiency instead.

>insight
Like I said, insight bugs me the least. But it's still weird.

Half the time, it's a "I want to accuse the NPC of lying but don't want to risk pissing it off if I'm wrong". There's no reason to not roll it after every sentence said by every NPC, except if the DM says no. No risk, nothing can be lost.

Conversely, accusing an NPC of lying - or doubting their story out loud - has risk. It's less of a magical bullet and has more impact on the outcome of events.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here, metaphorically speaking. I'm not gonna throw out half the rulebook by my next session.
>>
>>45244679
Perception is noticing or finding things
Investigation is deducing something based on the clues you've found

Perception finds the tripwire, investigation determines what trap it will trigger
>>
>>45244679
>Misdirection is a subset of deception
It's a subset of the concept of deception, but Deception as a skill in 5e is specifically the social application of that skillset.
Being able to lie convincingly is very different to being able to pick a pocket.
>>
>>45244679

What I do with skill checks is like the passive wisdom system. If the wizard has a "passive" arcana of 15 then he knows that such and such is magicky.

I use a lot of the passive idea to speed up gameplay, with checks happening when there is a small chance of getting or knowing something xtra about an item, etc.
>>
>>45237470
So what if they're ineffective though, this guy obviously doesn't care about efficiency
>>
>>45244679
>Deception
Charisma isn't misdirection. Literally LYING and misdirection are different things. Deception, as a skill, is lying. Sleight of Hand and lying are both deception, but not by 5e definitions.

>Perception
Investigation is the search skill. Perception is looking, listening, fucking smelling. You don't search with your nose. Trying to percieve something and trying to find something are completely different. You can't just spot a secret door.

>I said that
You didn't, but whatever.

>Knowledge checks
To each their own, for this one.
Except "because I said so." It's the rules. Also, the logical thing. You don't know it, you can't just keep scratching your head to see if you suddenly know about a dragons weakness.

AND PICKING POCKETS WITH LOCKPICKS IS STILL RETARDED.

>Insight
Your character has the ability to see tells. How else would you like this done?
>>
I've spent the past several days trying to come up with a character for Dragonborn and failing. So, I ask this:

Who hates Dragonborn? I do. Fuck Dragonborn.
>>
>>45245037
Dragonborn are fine if they are an established race in the DM's setting. Avoid being a snowflake dragonborn though.
>>
>>45237517
i would say it's possible, because the Druid transforms basically Into a perfect version of an animal. Meaning no signs of wear and tear. Maybe someone notices that it's spring and this bear's fur isn't matted and there isn't all this extra skin, as if it had been hibernating all winter. Or maybe you don't get to be a fully grown lion without taking a few scars and this one doesn't have a scratch on him. Stuff like that.
>>
>>45245037
If their breath weapon scaled better they would be a lot better. They make decent valor bards and Paladins.
>>
>>45245037
>a character for dragonborn
Try this: Any character, but a dragonborn.
>>
>>45243989
I really disagree with the deception idea here. Lying to someone and pulling some Indiana jones switcheroo are completely different.
>>
>>45245037
Make a naked barbarian and play it like a lizardman.
>>
>>45245153

That's pretty much the antithesis to my thought process. I believe there are terms for such things, but I can't remember them while drunk.
>>
>>45244932
I wouldn't mind having this argument if you weren't completely either misrepresentating or misunderstanding everything I say.

>>45244810
>talking about changing the definition of skills
>no, you can't do that, because it's against the current definitions

Obviously you'd be changing that aspect of the deception skill. But they're natural bedmates, and more importantly, you don't lose anything by combining them. (Well, that is, you don't lose anything from a roleplaying perspective, obviously you've shuffled around things mechanically, like skills per ability and proficiency and all that other minutiae).

What's strange is this is the most obvious thing to change and people are still sticking to it. Although I guess the one guy is the one that either can't read or is baiting. But whatever, I'm not walking into your game and rewriting your session, nothing to get in a fit about. Just thinking about things I feel could be better.

>>45244812
Yeah, I've thought about that too. The problem is that it removes a bit of the players sense of discovery, but that might be worth the tradeoff in consistency.

Honestly, every skill should have a passive value, just about. It'd save a lot of time. I've had situations where I've wanted to houserule passive abilities for most things. Passive athletics replacing strength as the determinant of your "free" jumping distance, for example, it'd add a layer of internal consistency and save a little time. Passive perception works wonders, after all.

I'd have to think about it for a long while before I felt comfortable saying "knowledge skills are bad and here's a way that's better", as apposed to just posting my stream of thought. I don't even know if I'd end up agreeing that they need to be changed.
>>
File: Eeeeheheheheh.jpg (281KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Eeeeheheheheh.jpg
281KB, 1280x720px
>My face when Barbarian and Vengeance Paladin don't work together

B-but...I want it. Why? Why Can't I just make it work?
>>
>>45245461
wouldn't that just be Kylo Ren, autistic shit-fits included?
>>
File: YouMadeTheWrongChoice.jpg (351KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
YouMadeTheWrongChoice.jpg
351KB, 1280x720px
>>45245474

But I can't concentrate on Hunter's Mark or Haste while raging! AND THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!
>>
>>45245426
>What's strange is this is the most obvious thing to change and people are still sticking to it.
My only issue is you're taking things that in my mind, should rely on different stats and putting them under the same skill.
I admit I'm not hugely familiar with DnD as a franchise but I'd assumed they tended to stick to 1 stat per skill.
>>
>>45245426
>I wouldn't mind having this argument if you weren't completely either misrepresentating or misunderstanding everything I say.
Could it be possible there is somethig wrong with what you are saying?
>>
File: 1406008048315.png (1MB, 778x635px) Image search: [Google]
1406008048315.png
1MB, 778x635px
Alright. For reasons I'd be happy to explain if anyone gave enough of a shit, I have to make a race for a game. Trying to keep things not crazy.

What would I need to do to make a race whose schtick is being highly resistant to all magic, friendly and enemy, balanced? Or just fucking playable?

Pic unrelated, I just like it.
>>
>>45246387
>highly resistant to all magic
In what sense? Because gnomes have advantage on mental saving throws versus magic. Do you mean advantage on all saving throws? And making saving throws to see if friendly magic effects you? Or do you mean half damage and healing from magic. Spell out what you mean, mechanically, or we can't tell you if it is broken or weak.
>>
>>45246605
Advantage on all saves against spells, with saves for friendly effects.

Alternatively, half variable effects and half duration for all spells.
>>
Where do you think the state of the game will be in a year, two years, five years?

At some point, splat book additions to the game will eventually result in characters having advantage in every situation and other weird shit like that
>>
>>45246732

Based on the impact SCAG had, I give it three years before the game is nigh unplayable. However, unless WotC is entirely staffed by morons, I figure they will begin working on 6e two years from now. So everything will work out fine.
>>
>>45246685
Considering a healing spell is much weaker than a damaging spell of equal level, I think it is broken. The benefits are too worth the penalty.
>>
>>45246732
>advantage in every situation
How? What has given us this so far to make you think that will happen?

>>45246784
How the fuck did SCAG make anything more unplayable? What makes you think the 3 or 4 splats we'll get in 3 years will make this game unplayable?

Do you two just come to 5eg to bitch about 5e, or is it just one of you who is samefagging?
>>
>>45246816
Hm. And Disadvantage for all friendly spells? Would that bring it back into balance?
>>
>>45246784
If I remember correctly, they actually have a plan on how much more content they plan on making and when they plan to ultimately release 6e. It should be up in 2020. Just what I have heard from some local players though.

Also Idk what impact you think scag had, but from what I have seen things are playing pretty much the same with the occasional scag option popping up for small variety.
>>
>>45246929

Are you retarded?

>>45246947

That'll be the first I heard of it. I mean, I'm not gonna lie, 5e is my first edition and I haven't even been playing for a year yet, but I've already had a guy claim he was a close personal friend of Gary Gygax. I don't put any stock at all in what tablemates say, much less what tablemates of people online say.

That being said, SCAG is important not for what it provides, but for what it shows us that WotC will not provide in the future.
>>
>>45247017
>Are you retarded?
Got any actualy explanation, or do you just like to spout things?
>>
>>45246387
>>45246685
If I had to do this, I would make it to where the race just can't be targeted by spells. It's not the most ideal setup but a racial ability that resists friendly magic also is less than ideal.

Note that aoe effects would still hit you but I can't think of a reasonable way around that without opening a can of broken.
>>
>>45247046

I ask you the same.

So, you're confirming you are retarded. Not surprising, this is /tg/ after all. Could you retards stop living up to the reputation of being the dumbest board?
>>
>>45235077
B-but... sir...?
http://oglaf.com/skulls/
>>
>>45246944
A catch all "magic resistance" might be something you want to avoid in a player race. With magic being such a big part of the game (only 3 classes even have options to not be magic), it's a little too intense and volatile for a player option.
>>
>>45234574
5e?

my god this place has gone down hill.
>>
File: TheFuckDidYouJustSay.jpg (184KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuckDidYouJustSay.jpg
184KB, 1280x720px
>>45247075

>Not keeping the skullcap on and just inverting the cup
>>
>>45247067
Mmmkay.

Here's your (you).

No need to talk to this guy anymore.
>>
>>45247067
Glad to see there's still those of you with the maturity and eloquence of a thimble of donkey piss.
>>
>>45247101
que
>>
>>45247113

>lmao (you) meme

I don't even use your shitty 4chan expansions.

Fuck off with your stupid bullshit.
>>
>>45247062
>>45247086
Hm...what if I limited it to just Resistance on damage from spells? It's not ideal, as both of you have mentioned.
>>
>>45247134
I legit don't use 4chan enough to know about the expansions. (you) comes up after someone replies to your post. You may have noticed.

You really are retarded.
>>
>>45247134

It's not an expansion. At least I don't remember installing anything.

Or is this a "look at me! I'm so old! Totally not a newfag!" kind of thing?
>>
>>45247155
You'd need weakness to a physical type of damage, at least.

Magic is just way too present.
>>
>>45247175
>>45247178

>I dunno what things mean, but you're retarded because you do!

You are literally more stupid than the ironic parts of /pol/. Reconsider your lives.

>>45247114

Proving my point.
>>
File: 1413123066415.jpg (96KB, 736x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1413123066415.jpg
96KB, 736x1070px
>>45247181
Beginning to see that. I suppose I could make them an NPC race and just use them to fuck with the players. Still, seems a shame. Thanks anyway.

Here's a pic for your trouble.
>>
>>45247017
Well I mean they are trying to make an edition that does not focus on having 50 class options and 100s of feats and races like previous editions, which is a respectable change. The scag may look like it offers only a little but between backgrounds and pretty much every class at least being viable to play in a good variety of ways every new thing opens up a lot more options than previous editions did.

Honestly 5e is my favorite edition I have ever played, but I have only played 3.5, 3.pf, and 5e so my opinion is not the most open it could be. It's simple and much more open to making characters focused on RP without sacrificing combat potential, and vice versa.
>>
File: spooky mage.jpg (110KB, 565x800px) Image search: [Google]
spooky mage.jpg
110KB, 565x800px
Am I the only one here who really does not like the Old One Pact for Warlocks? I don't hate it, I just really do not like it, and it has nothing to do with the Pact itself. It has to do with the fact that almost every person I see who wants to be an Old One Pact Warlock wants to worship some HP Lovecraftian tentacle monster and be dark, broody and mysterious and in no ways interesting or having any character depth.

I know that the Old One pact can be fucking amazing (and really anything for that matter) if you RP it well, but I just have yet to see anyone do Old One pact well enough that I don't cringe every time I read their backstory/see them RP.
>>
>>45247155
It's probably better to limit it more. Try balancing it against Gnome Cunning and Fey Ancestry.
>>
>>45247230
>I dunno what things mean, but you're retarded because you do!

Is actually

>You're claiming this is something I don't even really know anything about, which makes you retarded because it definitely isn't.
>>
>>45247274
Hm. Like, Advantage on Strength and Wisdom saves against spells?
>>
>>45247252
To drive the point home- Rakshasa's are immune to a certain level of magic, but are vulnerable to piercing (admittedly from good aligned creatures)

So that's a good place to start.
>>
>>45247261

No. No no no, SCAG does not offer little. It may offer little compared to earlier editions, but I didn't play earlier editions, so I care fuck all about them. SCAG sets precedent. And you can extrapolate a lot from that precedent, unless, of course, you have sub-100 IQ. For fuck's sake.
>>
>>45247304
Yeah, like that. Or even just advantage against certain schools.

>>45247252
Well, hey, if it's an NPC race, it can be as resistant as it wants to be.
>>
>>45247297

Were you just, like, not here during all the 4chanx nonsense? What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>45247318
Can you maybe actually explain what you think this precedent is? Because no one seems to agree with you. Maybe if you actually explained what you meant, we could even more thoroughly explain what a fucking idiot you are.
>>
>>45247306
Rakshasa's vulnerability would be...weird to apply to a PC race, but I like the idea. Not sure what would be a good vulnerability though, since the race in question is supposed to be kinda big and tough.

>>45247351
>advantage against certain schools
Maybe Advantage against Evocation and Enchantment?
>>
>>45247378

> we could even more thoroughly explain what a fucking idiot you are.
>lmao talk more so I can nitpick what you say like a pedantic cunt more

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>45247355
No clue what 4chanx is. Took a decent break from /tg/, and it's the only board I go on.
>>
>>45235418
Why do material planers love going into other planes?
>>
File: Yuyushiki1.jpg (153KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
Yuyushiki1.jpg
153KB, 1280x718px
>>45247438

> it's the only board I go on.
>>
>>45247413
I'm not talking about nitpicking. I haven't even done any nitpicking. Everything you said has been completely idiotic and I fully expect your full explanation to be utter bullshit. You just haven't actually explained anything at all yet, so I'm wondering. Maybe, somewhere behind you being an idiotic asshole, you actually have a good point. But you definitely haven't said it yet.
>>
>>45247473

>lmao you're an idiotic asshole, please tell me more about what you think

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>45247467
>elitism based on board preference
Hoo boy here we go.
>>
>>45247467
... And? I used to go on /x/ occasionally, and /vg/ for the odd game translation. I am fairly inactive on /tg/. I don't even go on much more than /5eg/ on here.
>>
>>45247458
Why do extra planars keep coming to the material plane? So many fucking angels, and demons, and elementals around, gotta beat 'em away with a stick.
>>
>>45247514

You will note, as someone who hopefully speaks English, that I made note of the fact that /tg/ was the -only- board rather than the -primary- board. Because you're not a retard and you understand context and language.

No. Wait. You completely missed that. Because you're a soloboarding retard. No better than someone who solely goes to /b/.

>>45247516

Same to you, since you somehow managed to miss what I said entirely. This is why everyone thinks you guys are retards. Nevermind reading the fucking book, you guys should all learn to fucking read.
>>
>>45234574
Who here is looking forward to the Mystic class?
>>
Man I swear every recent 5e thread has had a massive twat of a troll ruin a large portion of the thread recently. Is it all just the same person or is it just a string of bad luck?

On a 5e related note anyone have an interesting story from a recent session this past week? My group had a pretty lackluster session today so I've got nothing good to share.
>>
How many playable races do you typically offer players in your settings?

I tend to offer a lot since my party is the kind that wants no overlap thematically or mecahnically. It's a little special snowflake, but I give particular conditions and downsides to more exotic races.
>>
>>45247632
Mystic? When was this announced?

I'd love to see a new book that isn't tied into some shoddy adventure path or setting.
>>
>>45247632

I've got my hopes up for the Mystic. I'm hoping it'll open up a lot of multiclassing options, which is pretty much a fetish for me.

>>45247640

Not sure how amusing it is, but:

>Adventurer's League
>Party is now 7 large
>Four players don't show up this week
>One player is playing another player's character this week, so we got four
>Fight a fucking Hezrou and two Drow Veterans
>I get into melee to stop the heavy crossbow bullshit from the veterans
>Get low on HP, Conjure 8 Giant Badgers
>Forget to heal myself next turn
>Drow Veteran kills me
>Giant Badgers disappear

I was berating myself hard for forgetting to heal myself. The week prior I forgot to heal the party paladin and he/she permadied. Whoops.
>>
>>45247653
I allow my players to play what they want without question if they choose a playable race. If they want to play something that's normally monster only I talk to my players to see if I can convince them otherwise or tweak the race to make it similar to an already playable race but different enough to satisfy my player.
>>
>>45247578
>shitposting on multiple boards is better than shitposting on a single board
Hilarious
>>
>>45247746

Don't have kids.
>>
>>45246732
In a year: Eberron has made its return as an adventure and a setting book is released or announced with psionics included. Wizards expands its D&D dev team slightly. Wizards has started purchasing some material from the DMs Guild for official published use.

In two years: Dark Sun has made its return, the first non-setting-dependent splat is published. Wizards has started hiring a small number of DMs Guild workers. Alternatively: the DMs Guild is a bust and is shut down.

Five years: development is all over the place, probably including a few books that overhaul 5e's base system similar to Essentials, possibly in reverse with more complex classes. If the DMs Guild still exists, it has gone through a full overhaul. At least one adventure and one setting book has been published for each of the major settings (FR, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Eberron, possibly Ravenloft, I doubt we'll ever see any Greyhawk, Dragonlance, or Spelljammer stuff). Development of the next edition is announced.
>>
>>45247695
It's been in two Unearthed Arcanas, so I assume they're getting made into a full class.

The v2 Mystic seems good, I like it.
>>
>>45247653
The only one I don't offer are the Aarakroca. I dislike races with a flight speed. But everything else? That's fair game as far as I am considered.
>>
>>45247703
That is always a pain, especially all those people bailing, but sometimes you make a mistake and shit happens. It's how life goes. Also I thought you could be brought back to life by your factions in AL.

Anywho thanks for sharing.
>>
>>45247770
>still pretending to be mad over nothing
Come on man
>>
>>45247653
I pretty much always offer "core, with supplements and homebrew on a case-by-case basis." In the future I'll probably just straight-up say EEPC and SCAG are fine, and people who a bird person better have a good backstory.
>>
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there really no defenses other than AC in this game?
>>
How does teej feel about race-specific class specialties?

It's honestly my favorite flavor for a setting, even if my players never take them.
>>
>>45247578
Okay, it seems pretty clear the first part was directed at me, because I'm the one who said I only go on /tg/, and the person you've been arguing with the most, aside from one or two other people calling you out on your bullshit, but you didn't actually REPLY to me while saying that, as it happens. I'm actually the SECOND person you replied to, there.

I only go on /tg/ because it is the only board actually relevant to me. 4chan isn't some amazing paradise website that you should spend all your hours going through every board. I don't have the time for that, and I don't even care about any of that. I use /tg/ for rpg resources. That's it. Why SHOULD I go on other boards?

Also, I'ma just sumarise the arguement
>5e is gonna crash and burn
>Why
>SCAG
>How
>YOU'RE A RETARD

You still never have explained ANY of your points.
>>
>>45247860
AC and saves. That's it.
>>
>>45247808

At least one faction can. Perhaps a less amusing story:

>AL game
>All players are 20+, maybe 25+
>Except one 15 year old girl
>Plays edgy as fuck vengeance paladin
>Does stupid shit all the time, like positioning herself away from the party, taking opportunity attacks for no reason, and one time just simply running away from combat with rust monsters because "muh equipment"
>Kills herself three weeks ago gay-making out with an incubus for "poetic justice."
It was actually kind of a cool moment, but still
>Drag dead paladin back to town
>Res him
>Next session, enter Underdark
>Gay paladin dies to black pudding in 18 seconds
>Like, permadead
>Pudding eats his body

For fuck's sake. This was a week after we rezzed his/her stupid ass.
>>
File: 1450457627213.jpg (53KB, 475x645px) Image search: [Google]
1450457627213.jpg
53KB, 475x645px
So the general consensus is that pact of Rome is the best warlock pact, but I don't understand why. Having an invisible imp servant is proving to be insanely helpful, as opposed to a few rituals, that I could have gone with.
>>
>>45247252
You could make it so everyone has to make con saving throws (maybe 8+ your proficiency) to continue concentrating on effects that do anything to them (this makes it so the flavor is more like they can shirk off magical effects with no effort).

You can't reasonably be buffed, and spells like hold person and polymorph don't really work against you. It also doesn't fiddle with stuff like healing and spell damage.
>>
>>45247860
AC's meant to be a catch all of defensive forms, since it's less of a hassle to keep track of. Damage type resistance kinda works, although it's fairly rare and expensive.

Unless you also count saving throws or activated disadvantage.
>>
File: PlasticMemories2.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
PlasticMemories2.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>45247878

>Why should I play anything else other than Fighter?

Kill yourself.
>>
>>45247974
You really like to misquote me. I don't even know how you got to that one. It's a pretty impressive stretch.
>>
File: caesar.jpg (44KB, 337x455px) Image search: [Google]
caesar.jpg
44KB, 337x455px
>>45247934
>Pact of Rome
I can see it.

Otherwise I assumed Tome is great because of the companion AND extra cantrips, considering Warlock's extremely limited spell base.
>>
>>45247922
>>45247969
Well I personally think the four defense were perfectly fine, but oh well. I'm sure they thought it through
>>
>>45247695
The beta version up to level 10 ii in the OP. It's been known ABOUT since the last quarter of 2015.
>>
File: Shiroukumacafe1.jpg (208KB, 1152x645px) Image search: [Google]
Shiroukumacafe1.jpg
208KB, 1152x645px
>>45248008

Stretch in what way?

>I only like THING and THINGS other than THING don't interest me

So you're either a boring faggot, a boring stubborn faggot, or a retarded faggot. No matter which way, you're a STUPID faggot who should definitely stop talking because you know jack shit about anything. Expand your fucking horizons before talking about anyone else about anything else.
>>
>>45248020
To be honest anything that speeds up combat is A-okay in my book.

I know it's some people's jam, but combat's always been a MAJOR slowdown with very little feeling of reward.
>>
>>45247794
It's they are using UA to get feedback and give people spoilers.
>>
>>45248020
Do you mean 4 saves as in Reflex, Will, Fortitude, AC? Because if you count the saves, there are 7 defenses in 5e.
>>
>>45248057
>what boards you visit on 4chan are a 1 to 1 representation of all of your interests
Not everyone needs to shitpost online about things to validate their enjoyment bud.
>>
>>45247929
I love stories of stupid and cringy players, they're both enjoyable and assure me that my worries of being a bad player are unfounded.

Still though, that's just strange. I understand charging ahead to meet your enemy head on as a paladin, but everything else is just ridiculous, especially choosing to make out with a fiend. Also, how did she die to a black ooze so quickly. They are a pain but a solid smite would have done the trick easy.
>>
File: Got em.jpg (72KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
Got em.jpg
72KB, 960x600px
>>45248057
>you're either a boring faggot, a boring stubborn faggot, or a retarded faggot
epic burn bro *tips katana personally behind you*
>>
>>45248062
The stated intent of UA IS "public playtest of new content", isn't it?
>>
File: 1398639694955.jpg (42KB, 380x534px) Image search: [Google]
1398639694955.jpg
42KB, 380x534px
>>45247963
Adds concentration to spells that effect them? I like the idea.
>>
>>45248073

See this: >>45248080

This shit's probably what you think I am, but what you actually are.

Regardless, you're both trashy faggots who actually shitpost. Fuck off.
>>
>>45248072
Yes, those. To me they made perfect sense, but I guess there's saves which basically do the same thing. It just feels wrong to have to save against charm, rather than having a solid will defense
>>
>>45248057
Okay. Even bigger stretch than I thought. I don't need to use other boards. I have other websites, and I actually go out and DO things. There is something seriously wrong with you. You can't even tell that NO ONE agrees with you. And all this fucking fighting and argueing, YOU NEVER ONCE SAID WHAT YOU EVEN MEANT. You made 0 points other than saying people were dumb and 5e is going to die. Quit being such a shit.
>>
>>45248020
Eh, anything they kept from 4e they obfuscated to avoid backlash. It worked out even if the design isn't the best.

It's easier to understand when you look at how they centralized everything around the six ability scores and the d20. There are three d20 rolls: attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws, and they all boil down to d20 + ability + proficiency bonus. Other modifiers don't apply outside of specific spells and class features that can be precalculated or won't be stacking with something else, all without having complicated bonus stacking rules.

The drawback of this is that saving throws are made by the defender, while attack rolls are made by the attacker, instead of all rolls being offensive/made by the situation's instigator. This isn't as clean as 4e's defenses, to some people's chagrin.
>>
File: 1454615865995.jpg (67KB, 416x508px) Image search: [Google]
1454615865995.jpg
67KB, 416x508px
>>45248117
>>
>>45248079

I'm fairly sure the black pudding death was a combination of her wanting to kill her paladin for good and the DM wanting to kill her paladin for good. She hit it with slashing, splitting it in two, and the DM had the two puddings hit her (all rolls beating her AC, which I can believe) and using average damage. 18 acid damage x 2 is some serious shit.
>>
>>45248119
Wasn't Will a save and not a defense? You rolled it the same as a save in this edition, yes?
>>
Premium Bait in the water tonight, I see
>>
>>45247934
In my case I planned to get an imp originally but my group was playing OotA so when it came time to choose a pact I chose tome because we were still mostly broke and without proper gear. The imp is my personal favorite but tome is pretty solid too since it gives you access to the other two pacts via proxy and ritual casting options from all classes is very handy.
>>
>>45248178
Too good to pass up.
>>
>>45248164
No, in 4E it was a defense that was static. 4E is where I started, so it's hard not to compare. Nothing wrong with other ways of doing it, just sort of tough to wrap my head around.
>>
>>45248119
Not sure what previous edition you were talking about, but as I recall stuff like Will has always been saving throw.
>>
>>45248130

>I gots da social life
>So that means you don't
>That makes you the wrongs!

Go fuck yourself. Seriously, stop shitting up the fucking thread with your stupid fucking bullshit, asshole.

>Le no one agrees with you

Showing your monoboarding retardation. This ain't a popularity contest, faggot.
>>
>>45247974
>>45248057
I swear to god you are more retarded than a downsy kid getting a lobotomy while having the left hemisphere of his brain replaced with a potato.
>>
File: Fractured_Ass.jpg (46KB, 680x570px) Image search: [Google]
Fractured_Ass.jpg
46KB, 680x570px
>>45248228
This can't be real, I won't believe it
>>
>>45248205
Oh. I'll be honest, didn't play much 4e, kinda forgot. Thought you were coming from a 3.5 perspective.
>>
>>45248261
>>45248260

>/tg/ is stupid as shit

And no one was surprised.
>>
File: 1372873392576.png (84KB, 398x272px) Image search: [Google]
1372873392576.png
84KB, 398x272px
>>45248228
Would you fuck off already? You're making the rest of us cross boarders look bad.
>>
>>45248292
Man, you sound like you actually need help
>>
>>45248159
That is quite true. I could definitely believe that to be the case.
>>
>>45248303

>/tg/ is retarded beyond fuck all ever since I landed here
>Point it out
>Y-you need help!

Go fuck yourself.

>>45248297

3/10
>>
>>45248292
>>45248303
He does need help. He needs someone to show him how to get back home, to the potato farm.
>>
>>45248335
Like, is there something wrong that you feel the need to take out on strangers because they can't retaliate? You've spent what I assume is hours arguing about a game. That's not something people do, even assholes
>>
>>45247273

my GOO warlock was quite friendly and pleasant, if a little unhinged by terrible dreams.
>>
>>45248178
This is some classic 2004 trolling here.
>>
Roll initiative.
>>
>>45248366

I see you're new to /5eg/. You clearly weren't here for the recent "can barbarians punch themselves" debacle. In which case, you are the newest kind of newfag, and you should fuck off.
>>
File: 1372457172467.png (232KB, 762x557px) Image search: [Google]
1372457172467.png
232KB, 762x557px
>>45248335
Keep trying I'm sure you'll fit in eventually.
>>
>>45248374

I've only been on 4chan since '05, but I appreciate the compliment. I try.
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>The odd man taunts you, claiming you have a learning disability! Make a Will save.
>>
>>45248390
It really does feel like you want someone to ask you what's wrong, but you're too afraid to open up to strangers because you think they'll bully you for being sincere
>>
>>45247273
Completely agreed. I picked it purely for metagaming reasons, but basically downplayed it as much as possible, playing a bardlock

But I recently played a one-off with exactly the guy you're talking about, who would not shut the fuck up about his edgy shit every time he attacked or did basically anything

Combined with a lawful douchebag neckbeard cleric, it was not a good night
>>
>>45248228
I don't even need to insult you, you add extras when you misquote me. Instead of just flailing your arms and going "I'm not dumb, everyone else in the world is", why not just either:

a) Actually make your point about what is happening in 5e, and the precedent SCAG set, actually EXPLAINING what you mean.

b) Go away. Because you are a flailing fucking idiot. If you stop posting your stupidity, people will stop telling you you're an idiot.
>>
>>45248390
Wait... Are you the SAME guy who thought barbarians COULDN'T?
>>
>>45248438
He might just be actually drunk
>>
>>45248469
In that case, he is surprisingly coherent.
>>
>>45247273
I prefer to see the Old One pact as basically Seen Some Arcane Shit (tm)

Not necessarily tortured, insane, or edgy, just the magical equivalent of walking into the wrong room and walking away with a better understanding of BDSM.
>>
>>45248469
I hope so. I've been watching this unfold and its fucking hilarious
>>
>>45248411
It's a art. Just stringing them along with the occasional insult.

The kind of trolling you don't see any more. Now it's just shitposting and false flagging and /pol/ or SJW nonsense. Bait's just too obvious in this day and age.
>>
>>45248502
People don't appreciate the art of the chase anymore. Giving a little, then reeling back. They just want to throw the nets out and catch whatever happens into them
>>
>>45248528
It's this world of instant gratification, I tell you.
>>
File: AFateWorseThanDeath.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AFateWorseThanDeath.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>45248420

>Projecting

>>45248438

>Why don't you stop insulting people, even though I ran a string of insults upon you because your opinion isn't like mine!

>>45248463

No no, that guy's a retard. I'm one of the people who argued against him. Though the one troll who pretended to be him and gloated around the thread for a few hours was pretty glorious.

>>45248469

I'm about 5/10 on the drunk scale. Surprisingly sober for me.

>>45248502

After over a decade, the only thing I've learned is that the best way to troll anyone on 4chan is to have an honest opinion.
>>
>>45248540
All the extremism and hyperbole have made subtlety a rare treat
>>
>>45248502
Wait, how is this not just shitposting?
>>
>>45248548
I didn't say stop insulting people. I said make your fucking point.
>>
>>45248580
Because people are still biting and falling into the logic loop, and they still aren't seeing it.

That puts it far above the average bait shitpost.
>>
>>45248584

>Just make your point after I spend 40 minutes throwing a temper tantrum

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>45248580
I bet you think Chateau d'Yquem is just wine
>>
>>45248611
Successful bait shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>45248611
But people pointed out it was a shitpost long ago, anyone replying now is just shitposting themselves for giggles.
I know I am.
>>
>>45248646
Eh, you got me there. Let's stop shitposting about shitposting and get back on topic.
>>
>>45248646

I really wish this would stop happening every time I post.
>>
I was forever DM. Got opportunity to PC. Now I just want to DM again. Anyone else know this feel
>>
File: yi7KYisdBkwKqj.gif (852KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
yi7KYisdBkwKqj.gif
852KB, 500x271px
>>45248676
>>
>>45248676
I like doing both.
>>
>>45248676
I want to clone myself so I can run the game of my dreams and also play without having to keep track of separating DM and player knowledge.
>>
>>45248664
maybe you could start with your points instead of making baitposts ;)
>>
>>45248612
You realise you've been contiuously telling people they are retarded and to go fuck themselves? Do you know what a temper tantrum is? Because ONE of us definitely threw one.
>>
>>45248691

>Separating DM and player knowledge

Holy shit yes. I've gotten burned a few times trying to remember which player knows what. Holy shit.
>>
>>45248676
Almost all of the time. I have too much of a desire to build.

To be honest, I have no idea what I'd do as a player. I haven't done it in so long, I'd be afraid to be an accidental meta-gaming fuckstick.
>>
>>45248712

I'm fairly certain several faggots threw temper tantrums because I wasn't posting like they're used to on reddit. And they can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>45248737
You're adorable.
>>
>>45248716
I tried having a DMPC once, it didn't end well. I ended up having a section where each party member was talking to an NPC about where they were from and where they were going (3.PF Rise of the Runelords), and awkwardly tried to do both roles..I glossed over that as quick as I could.
>>
>>45248719
What's worse is when you become that meta-gaming fuckstick without realizing it. Simply because you've been in the other chair for too long.
>>
File: 6491b8e7cb12ef2f624e2446016adcc1.jpg (170KB, 1000x1535px) Image search: [Google]
6491b8e7cb12ef2f624e2446016adcc1.jpg
170KB, 1000x1535px
>>45248759

No I'm sexy~
>>
>>45248793
No.
>>
File: 1381110563552.png (485KB, 850x1275px) Image search: [Google]
1381110563552.png
485KB, 850x1275px
>>45248821

What about now?
>>
>>45248737
>Is still throwing a tantrum.
>Still hasn't even made his point.
>>
>>45248836
Pedobait is never sexy.
>>
File: 1397026212574.jpg (103KB, 549x710px) Image search: [Google]
1397026212574.jpg
103KB, 549x710px
>>45248855

Hey! Ichigo is legal thank you very much!

At least, I think so. It's kinda hard to tell sometimes.
>>
Is a combat options flowchart a good way to help a floundering player get used to play? Telling them to RTFM isn't helping much.
>>
>>45248922

There's really not that many useful combat options in the average round. Like, the average round is:

Move, unless you're already next to a guy
Attack them

Or if you're ranged

Just attack someone

Pretty small flowchart. Even spellcasters are all like

Are they grouped?
AOE them
Are they not grouped?
Cantrip somebody
>>
>>45248922
What class are they playing?
>>
File: 1449699921105.jpg (89KB, 900x665px) Image search: [Google]
1449699921105.jpg
89KB, 900x665px
>>45248962
you forgot:

position yourself so enemies will probably attack your party mates instead of you

attack a less important target so that your party mates are between you and all the archers shooting at you guys.
>>
>>45248962
This is true, but they can't seem to keep track of it.
>>45248969
Sorcerer. You'd think it would be relatively easy despite being a caster, but...

It gets awfully frustrating when they don't know what to do so they pass their turn unless you convince them to throw a cantrip.
>>
>>45249008

I didn't think of the first point, since it comes instinctually, but the second point...I'm not sure that's ever come up in my games. You've given me something to think about though.
>>
>>45249033
>It gets awfully frustrating when they don't know what to do so they pass their turn unless you convince them to throw a cantrip.
if its really like this, sit them down and ask them if they are okay.
>>
>Monsters are immune to trip+grapple, they still stand up just like that
>Monsters can hide in plain sight and all seem to do it as a bonus action
>Players can't do any of this
I'm out of this 3rd level game bullshit
>>
>>45237306
Dang anon, this is nice stuff. Keep up the good work!
>>
I haven't post in 4chan for months.
EK still shit?
>>
Would it be possible to make a decently balanced 9th level spell that can be cast as a ritual?
>>
>>45249311
Yes.
>>
Hey sorta new to 5e.

Can Sword and Board be "good" I just wanna protect people and throw out some decent damage
>>
>>45249355
No UA to fix it? Fuck it then.
I want unique spell for EK.
>>
>>45249349
This is completely possible. It would be difficult but definitely possible.
>>
>>45249359
Grab the dueling fighting style, and check out the sentinel feat.

>>45249349
The thing about rituals, is the higher level the spell, the less that 10 minutes extra time is worth. Occasionally, taking that 10 minutes for a first level spell won't be worth it. For a 9th level spell? You get 1 slot. If you can cast it as a ritual, it is ALWAYS worth it. You can't balance that.

You would also have to consider that a feat (ritual caster) could now give anyone a 9th level spell.
>>
Too much loot to start a party of 4 level 3 characters with? They have a benefactor who is financing their expedition and so I figured it'd make sense to give them some fun l00tz

>Immovable rod
>Bow that converts arrow damage from piercing to radiant and in doing so consumes an arrow (does not confer a +x mod to hit or damage)
>Mace which deafens people within 5 feet of it when swung
>Rod of searing light (Gives cantrip which is just a radiant reskin of Chill Touch)
>>
>>45249430
note on mace deafening - requires DC 12 CON save.
>>
>>45249430
That's all pretty minor stuff. Does the person who swung the mace need to make the save. too?
>>
>>45249359
Honestly, S&B is the better combat style if you are not going full offense GWM. Protection would be the fighting style you want if you want to help protect other front liners, duelist is the better fighting style option imo and it's the one that make S&B solid damage dealers.
>>
>>45249455
Yeah. In another campaign with a different group, we're having a lot of fun with a Sword of Blinding Light, which blinds anyone within 5 feet of it and is +1. So everyone tells the paladin to please step away from them in fights and the paladin sometimes swings the sword with their eyes closed. The paladin eventually got a helmet which provides advantage against being blinded, which helped with scaling the sword up to the level 5~8 range.

The blindness only lasted for a round, and I think I'll rule the deafness the same way.
>>
>>45249414
>>45249462
Thanks a lot friends.

Could I multiclass this with Paladin, or does the multiclassing gimp you too hard?
>>
>>45249513
Multiclassing really just isn't worth it most of the time. I'd say go pure paladin or don't do it at all.

Unless the rest of your group plans on multiclassing, in which case, do so to your heart's content.
>>
>>45249414
Only if they find a scroll with that spell on it and it would take 18 hours and 450 GP to scribe it into the ritual book. You make a very solid case without being hard to balance though. In truth the only way to balance it would be to actively make it weaker than most 9th lvl spells or to make the cost of it high enough to were people would not spam it. That's just my thought on it.
>>
>>45249414
Well there are no level 8 or 7 spells and only 1 level 4. Just feels a bit lame how there is so little rituals to me. A lot of other spells in the game could easily carry the ritual tag without breaking anything.
>>
>>45249543
Just as a thought, what about a mega-suped-up version of identify? Basically pull up a Wikipedia page about any thing which you cast it on. Know the life's history of some random fox.
>>
>>45249532
Not the same anon, but how does Sorc 4/Warlock 2 sound (we're level 6 right now) for the "Spell-Sniper"? 4 levels into Sorcerer to get access to metamagic + 4th level feat and then 2 levels into Warlock to get the Eldritch Invocation.
>>
>>45249636
Sorclock is like the one exception to the "multi-classing is generally suboptimal in 5e" rule of thumb. A bit cheesey imo but if you want to make it work, that's your prerogative.
>>
>>45249543
>>45249580
I feel like 7, 8 and 9th level spells were specifically avoided. For one, that isn't really a ridiculous amount of time and money for a spell of that level. I feel like ritual casting has its problems, but not having high level spells isn't one of them.
>>
File: drow sorceress-warlock.png (410KB, 640x1076px) Image search: [Google]
drow sorceress-warlock.png
410KB, 640x1076px
>>45249665
The way I'm fluffing it is that my character was a Drow Sorceress who stumbled upon some tomes that depicted a Bloodborne-esque Old One that was signified by a gigantic eye and macabre imagery, and every time she does the whole "1200 ft. range eldritch blast" she empowers it and a big ol' eye opens up in front of her to shoot it.

Also taking the "Devil's Sight" to signify her gouging out her eyes due to that whole "not meant for the eyes of mortals" and having her eyes replaced by a floating arcane one.
>>
>>45249636
why do you need 1200 ft eldritch blast

i'd much rather be a level 6 sorcerer (or anything) than splashed 2 levels to pick up a good at will cantrip, yes, but not one thats so much better than having another level of spells, another class ability, more spell slots, etc etc
>>
>>45249815
Well, I don't really need it, and I don't really want to go for a Sorc 6. I'm going for the warlock splash because I like the flavor of it for RP. From a chronological standpoint, it also sort of makes sense if the character was already a 4th level sorceress when they became "enlightened" as a warlock.

I doubt I'd ever use the eldritch-sniper, but there's always the novelty of just being able to pull it out and finish a fleeing enemy in style.

The long range might be cheesy, but I don't really care all that much about 100% efficiency.
>>
>order of the immortal is a better blade fiendlock than warlock
>>
Help me brainstorm some almost-completely-useless wands. Stuff like wand of create wand of create wand of (...) (one charge) and a wand of temporary monochrome (i.e. turns an object a single random color for some period of time).

Useless, but curious.
>>
>>45249895
>UA material is more powerful than one of the weaker classes!

Tomelock makes a better bladelock than bladelock. What's your point?
>>
>>45249899
wand of banish nigger
>>
>>45249584
A mega identify could be within reason but I think there are other rituals that can do similar stuff to that.

>>45249688
I can agree with that too. I'm not saying they should of made one for sure, but it would of been nice and I feel could of been done without it breaking the game. Then again I can't think of anything within reason better than forbiddence without it being unreasonable or useless so it is what it is.
>>
>>45249899
Wand of create wand of (...) could be very useful. Each time you use a wand, you get a free stick. You have infinite sticks! You should call it the wand of infinite sticks, but leave it with the same effect.
>>
>>45249873
well shit alright.

just promise me you'll actually use that huge ass range and straight up tell your DM "i'm going to snipe the guys on the wall" or whatever.

sinking that many resources into having ridiculous range... you better make it playstyle changing. you know, you up on the roofs sniping guys in the street for your party or whatever.
>>
>>45249937
Ah, but it turns into an inconsequential amount of dust when used. Less dust than is blown away in the time it takes to pick up and wave the new wand.

(The secret is that after they use the wand an arbitrary number of times, it turns into something cool. Maybe a wand of wish. We'll see.)
>>
>>45249947
Without burning the sorc points, it's still a 600 ft. range eldirtch blast, so you can bet that my character would be sitting way back serving as the "Patron's Eyes", granting the groups enemies "otherworldly knowledge" with her eldritch blasts. Unfortunately most people aren't ready for that sort of thing and just die from the shock.
>>
What's the advantage of going dex martial over str martial? In this case fighter
>>
>>45249964
... I'll be honest, I kind of just want a wand of infinite sticks...
>>
>>45249895
EK is a better bladelock, bladesinger is a better bladelock, that subclass was made with sucking clocks in mind
>>
>>45249987
If I ever DM for you, you can have a wand of infinite sticks.
>>
I want a wand of infinite steaks
>>
>>45249999
How do we get this game rolling?
>>
>>45250024
Let fate be our guide. (I am going to bed now. I am sorry.)
>>
>>45250048
May you dream of infinite sticks.
>>
>>45249899

Wand of infinite dreams about sticks
>>
wand of stupid posts
>>
>>45250095
Look, it's working.
>>
>>45250095
>>45250101
3d10 fire damage
>>
Do you like the unused idea of Warlock become archetype of Mage?
>>
>>45250229
>idea of Warlock become archetype of Mage
shut up
>>
>>45250261
Make me
>>
File: My Opra.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
My Opra.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
What is the best class for a Grapple wrestler that isn't monk? I wanna play a mustachioed, curly-chested mashugana, that punches and man-handles everything into submission.

Due to fists not 'technically' being melee weapons, I don't get any benefit from any fighting styles (I don't really want to wear armor either, unless my DM rules shirtless leather armor as enough to give AC), so fighter doesn't seem all that great for the job, but I also don't really like what barbarian brings to the table besides Bear-totem's resistance to all damage.

I of course intend to take the grappler and tavern brawler feat as a level 5 human. Can anyone shoot me some ideas?
>>
>>45250314
Oh, and because I don't really want to wear armor unless my DM makes a special ruling, barb also gets to add Con to AC, which is another reason to take it, but I just don't care much for the rest that it gives.
>>
Sup /tg/?

I'm a player in a 5e game and we're about 6 sessions in. We've got a Moon Circle Druid (me), a Ranger, a Monk, a Necromancer Wizard and a Life Cleric. All of us are at 4th level, about 4-600xp away from 5th.

It's been fairly noticeable that without a rogue we're not too good at sneaky stuff. Now, I'm planning on breaking into the guildhall of a fairly powerful guild in order to retrieve a magical medallion and a book. I've cast Detect Magic from outside and haven't found any protective spells, so I think I'd be good to sneak in as a cat and have a look around. I was wondering if you guys could advise me on what I could be doing, given I'm still fairly new to D&D.

I've got a spell list worked out, but it's a rough draft:

2nd Level Spells
Enhance Ability - Just in case I need to get in anywhee.
Locate Object - For the medallion, possibly the book as well, if it turns out I don't need EA.
Pass Without Trace - Sneak in as a cat.

1st Level Spells
Charm Person - Just in case
Detect Magic - Useful for if Locate Object runs out and I need to find the medallion.
Longstrider - Run away!
Fog Cloud - If I need cover, this is what I use.

Cantrips
Only really useful one is Produce Flame. Guidance too, if I need a bonus but can't use Enhance Ability.

How does it look?
>>
>>45250328
>>45250314
Barbarian with a dip into Rogue or Bard to get Expertise in Athletics.
>>
>>45250314
look up the 5e grapplers guide

theres a fat guide about it, and it used to be on the wotc forums, so I guess its probably on EN world now.
>>
>>45250383
hmm, good idea, I'll definitely consider that. It also makes barbarian sound a bit more interesting.

>>45250407
As a matter of fact, I just found it. I'm giving it a read right now, thanks for the suggestion mate. It is on EN world.
>>
>>45250314
If you want to be armorless barbarian is your best bet. However if your willing to wear a breastplate (basically the best armor for shirtless look because usually designed to look like abs) you could go valor bard with expertise in athletics. Your grapple checks would be amazing and you could sing of your might as you punch your enemies in the face and pin them to the ground
>>
>>45250432
hmmm, I could pull a sort of skyrim Dovahkiin look with the regular iron breastplate and no shirt underneath. Not the most realistic, but neither is grappling ogres and pinning them to the floor.
>>
threads sinking lets just migrate

>>45250454
>>45250454
>>45250454
>>45250454
>>45250454
>>45250454
>>
>>45242334
Recommend DC for medium tasks is 15, for hard is 20. He shouldn't be getting his way all the time.
Also, I as DM wouldn't let take 10 in social interactions, there's just so much that can happen that letting go the luck aspect isn't really justifiable.
>>
>>45250314
>monk
>grappler
Top kek
good as a wizard at that
>>
>>45244679
>gotta switch an object protected by an alarm with a fake
>roll to lie to the alarm
>>
>>45249980
Better initiative, better dex saves, better skill bonuses, better stealth
Thread posts: 407
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.