[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaming Ireland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: ireland-flag-header.jpg (45KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
ireland-flag-header.jpg
45KB, 620x372px
I fancy getting into some wargaming related hobbies for a change of pace and looked around to find the gaming scene is down right pitiful here or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. To my knowledge there are only a handful of small stores deal in /tg/ stuff in this country and that includes Dublin. If there is anyone else who can fill me in on the general scene in Ireland that'd be great.
>>
>>45230424
whereabouts are you living?
and you're right, unless you are in dublin, or in Uni, the gaming scene is tiny to non existant
>>
File: the wretch.png (16KB, 1084x156px) Image search: [Google]
the wretch.png
16KB, 1084x156px
>>45230424
gamers world in town, just beside the ha penny bridge is decent enough
or games workshop on liffey street
both in Dublin
the gaming in UCD isn't bad, you gotta cherry pick from the terrible scene cunts who have taken over the sci-fi and gamesocs
can't tell you about the other uni's though
>>
>>45230694
A stones throw away from Cork city. I know there is a new WH store opened there I have to visit and that Sand Castle place which wrecks of genuine autism so it kind repelled me from setting foot in that store. Other Realms I stop into every now and then to have a quick look but heard mixed things about the staff and the people who come in to play TT games.
>>
>>45230424
Well there is hidden shops around the country of course, but your best bet is really universities, well big universities. Like UL or something.
>>
File: howitfeelstobebritish.jpg (308KB, 1020x746px) Image search: [Google]
howitfeelstobebritish.jpg
308KB, 1020x746px
>>45230424
i hear hide the potato is popular in Ireland
>>
>>45230776
>>45230826
Thanks, its a shame that it takes a good amount of digging to find anything like that here, It can't fuck simple can it?
>>
>>45230867
Could be worse, I'm stuck in Donegal.
>>
>>45230963
Oh boy I feel bad for you.
>>
>>45230424
Generally speaking, your best bet is to find some friends and start up yourself or to go to your local uni and see if they have a games soc that does it.

For example, UL has a Game Soc and some of them run D&D and such. Most of them are either grognards or trying to playtest their homebrew but you'll find some stuff usually. Your best bet is still to grab a group of friends and play yourself though.

I've spent like 5 years building my group up from 3 people to finally having a full 4 person party. Feels good bruh.
>>
>>45230789
Spanisfag who just moved to cork 8 days ago, reporting in.

There is a Warhammer shop by Patricks quay; also with time I'd like to form a group for tabletop gaming if you're interested. I want to test my new homebrew. It's a PBTA hack
>>
>>45230789
Where's this new WH shop? I live close to cork and am in the city every day for college
>>
>>45231383
Thanks Spain I'll stop in an have a look at it this weekend hopefully. I wouldn't say no to joining any group but first I need to judge if it's worth the money to invest in a hobby that isn't a dead end.

>>45231454
It's across the way from the Bus station and Dun Stores over the bridge. Google facebook warhammer cork and ull find it.
>>
Bumping in case more irish wish to join the thread and give info.
>>
>>45230963
Not far from Derry city, you tried find anything there?
>>
>>45230424
Eyup Chuck, you're in a similar boat as me, being in an area with a relatively poor distribution of trad gamers.

If you build it they will come, you've just gotta put in the ground work.

Pick a game or a system to learn and start running a bi-monthly.
>>
>>45231531
Is it Warhammer only? Or do they have any other stuff there? Like roleplaying stuff?
>>
>>45231944
Haven't gone to it yet but safe bet is it may have black library books, Space hulks board games. The full GW range is my assumption. Sure if you're in the city its just a short walk to. I heard it from a friend of mine they opened recently and with the prices of rent it might not be too far off the store having a short life.

>>45231931
That's an idea, I'd basicly have a monopoly on /tg/ stuff in Ireland if I form some kinda guild/club thing. What's bi-monthly?

Do you guys think there would be a great demand for such a thing in Ireland?
>>
>>45232048
Well, when I say bi-monthly I mean twice a month.

Once a week can be a little too much of a schedule monopoly for people who ain't dedicated to /tg/, and it also allows you to run two games in parallel, or have a break week between games to prepare, whichever suits your schedule.

Also, don't get stick in the D&D rut, it's fun, but there are other systems that are worlds apart, and may be better for running certain kinds of game, like Runequest with it's classless system, lethal combat and d100 skill checks, or Pendragon, with it's built in conduct expectations for playing characters like knights, and dire penalties for failing to live up to the ideals of Arthurian chivalry.
>>
>>45230424
I don't know how things are south of the border but up in the North the wargaming community is its own worst enemy.

To insular with different groups hating each other and people unwilling to travel for events even if its only 10 miles away by fairly good public transport.

Its a shame since there are hardly that many Wargamers given the low population density anywhere outside of Belfast but 30+ years or public terror must have done something to the mindset of people up here.
>>
>>45232460
Interesting. I'll see how it goes if I make any headway, even a game or two of Warmachine to get a feel for it.

>>45233163
Airn't the Beasts of War channel guys from there? The thinks I know about /tg/ stuff are pretty much self thought. If it wern't for the Warhammer games i'd wouldn't care ha. The North always seemed very clannish to me for some reason. One time a store clerk asked me where Donegal was.

I'd be willing to travel 10 miles for a game of something. Are you apart of anything there or is it from experience.
>>
>>45230826
I don't think there's anyone plays any wargames in UL, the Gsoc is littered with people who used to play but mostly the only TT is card games and RPGs.
>>
Culchies don't deserve to play TTRPGs.
>>
>>45233595
Ignore him, He was recently made an honorary culchie, and is still butthurt about it.
>>
>>45233595
Found the Southsider.
>>
UCC has a boardgames society, they play everything from munchkin to pathfinder.

Theres a shop in Popes Quay Shopping center that does Warhammer/Comics/RPGs etc, called Other Realms.

Marks Models at the end of Olliver Plunkett St. (Down near the bus station) used to sell warhammer, its definitely got some old school grognards who play napolionic era and such. Also trains.

Best bet though is find some friends who would enjoy that kind of stuff and play with them.
>>
Anyplace I can get cool dice in Cork?
>>
I've just been going to board game meet ups in pubs in Dublin, Pretty comfy.
Haven't gone to any events yet, don't know any.
>>
There's clubs up north (northern wasters), one in Louth (Drawdah games club) , Then Dub-a-lin. UCC has one and does a Con every year too. Limerick has The Gathering shop
>>
>>45230424
irishgamingwiki dot com
>>
>>45230789
I know a GM who lives in Cork.
>>
Anyone interested in 5e on Mondays in Dundalk? Lost a play due to college work and I'd feel better with 4 players than 3.
>>
>>45233529
Yeah, I heard. A friend of mine used to be the head of that society and he kept asking if my friends or I could host games down there.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.