[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made Dark Crusade the better game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 24

File: Soulstorm_Coverart.jpg (204KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
Soulstorm_Coverart.jpg
204KB, 300x417px
What were the things that made soulstorm fall shorts from it's predecessor?
Did the only thing soulstorm did right in your eyes were the memes?
>>
The SOB were pretty fun but Soulstorm had some issues. Fliers were very hastily implemented and either not very good for a faction or utterly mindblowing. Like the SOB flier basically only mattered if you were playing against one of the factions with fantastic fliers.
>>
I still feel Relic should have let the SoB win. Just so they'd have one victory.
>>
>>45194187
But how would you explain cyrus surviving the Kaurava campaign?
And Cyrus is the best part of Dawn of War 2!
>>
honestly, if Relic had made the flyers act like they do in Company of heroes, it would have been far better.
>>45194312
the entire squad is gold
>cyrus with his predator antics and rage
>tarkus being the guy you would fight till the bitter end
>avitus being the big tough softie
>thaddeus being the hothead.
>>45194187
the guard was going 0-2 until that point though.
>>
>>45194054
I distinctly remember playing the game when it first came out. One of the first things I did was build a flyer, then told it to cross a gap of what would be considered impassible terrain. It could not fly over the chasm.

Not sure if this was a bug - but in my mind it was a good indicator of the quality of the rest of the game and I thus haven't played it again.

>>45194355
Relic didn't make soulstorm.
>>
>>45194569
I was talking about the story.
and the flyer thing was a mistake.
>>
>>45194583
You may want to reconsider what you posted for the subject of this thread then.
>>
>>45194675
well the guard was even more of a joke faction than the sisters.
>loses 100 baneblades.
>>
>>45194054
Lots of bugs, the new gimmick (flyers) were poorly implemented, writing was poor, and the campaign was annoying (huge amounts of missions that were just playing a skirmish game against a single AI on a map meant for 4 players, and unlike in DC you didn't get to keep the base structures you had built when replaying the map, forcing you to slog through the whole thing every time somebody invaded the are).
>>
>>45194054
hour plus mission loading times.
The SoB weren't as good as the WitchHunters mod (which has just been ported over to SS and finished! Emperor help you if you're playing against anyone with access to invisibility).
Fliers sucked.
The campaign was less impressive than DC.
>>
>>45194054
I think one of the reasons Soulstorm isn't so well regarded as Dark Crusade is due to the fact the former didn't spawn any high quality fanfic.
>>
>>45194187
Canononicaly we don't know who won Soulstorm.
Only that the Bloody Magpies lost.

Sisters still could have won.
>>
I still don't get why they went with the Living Saint as the SOB capstone.

I mean, not every Living Saint is St Celestine...and even she's not the size of a greater demon.
>>
Dawn of War 3 is coming out any day now right?
>>
>>45194896
What could it have been? There just isn't enough units to of made anything else their extra special one.
>>
>>45194856
But only the imperial guard spare some marines after defeating their stronghold and since Cyrus survived the Kaurava campaign its reasonable to assume that Stubbs won.
>>
>>45194991

I'd have personally gone with a Knight Titan like how the Space Marines call in a Grey Knight Squad to support them. Out of faction but still a clear ally.
>>
>>45194928
pretty sure relic is working on that.
>>45194896
it was fun tearing her down with grey knights.
>>
>>45194928
Any day now ;_;
>>
>>45194928
This e3.
>>
>>45194991
A Grey Knight covered in sister blood.
>>
>>45195030
yeah. would be pretty cool though.
>>
Well, without soulstorm there wouldn't Ultimate Apocalypse mod so there is that.
>>
>>45195030
Strategy games are announced at Gamescon, not E3.
Keep your hype down at least until late August.
>>
>>45195010
Knights as we know them now didn't exist back when the game came out. Back then they were still very much old fluff.
>>
>>45195115
Although one could say that UA became it's own game by now.
Campaign when?!
>>
>>45195401
its not balanced at all though.
>>
>>45195115
Which might have been a good thing in the end.
>>
>>45195411
But balance is for multiplayer and skirmish.
Cylarne words not mine
>>
>>45195448
Why?
>>
>>45195449
yeah, but it is really bad when some factions outright lose to the others because of reasons
Daemons of chaos is hilariously OP while the eldar are underpowered as hell.
>>
>>45195487

But that's ok because Eldar were so OP that they should be made useless now to make up for how OP they were before!
>>
>>45195487
Angron is so good though
>>
>>45195554
demons take very little damage from flashlights as well.
>>
>>45195587
That's why you equip the basilisk magnus with Apocalypse rounds.
Sidenote: Should you be able to build the basilisk magnus in the campaign
>>
>>45195539
>Eldar were so OP
Alright, let's end this discussion once and for all. Were they really that OP or is "Dawn of Eldar" just a troll-page?

I once watched some SS tourney and can't remember anyone taking Eldar.
>>
>>45195683
They were glorious, and I mean 70-80% win rate glorious, in vanilla and to an extent (pre 1.1) in DC. That's about it.
>>
>>45195683
I can tell for a fact it was more balanced than RoTWK 2.01
>>
>>45195716
RoTWK?
>>
>>45195816
Bfme2 expansion.
it was one of those games that had a lot of potential but then EA happened.
>>
>>45195824
Oh return of the witch king! Now I remember I was kinda mad you didn't get a good side campaign on that expansion, only a epilogue.
>>
>>45195038
Also wasn't a thing at the time.
>>
>>45194054
>god tier banter
>actually interesting archives of the different regions
>the archives for the territory that chaos controls in the beginning were actually pretty unnerving to read
>lots of interesting and unique terrain features and strongholds for each faction
>introduced the HQ wargear upgrading system
>introduced the Tau and the Necrons, very different in look, feel and play from the previous factions
>good speeches and god tier banter between the different faction leaders, especially in the case of Eliphas.
>INDEED
DC was the best Dawn of War game.
>>
>>45195987
what were the chaos archives about?
>>
>>45195987
Yep, it was great.

Is that a demonette?
>>
>>45196293
Lazy fuckers so busy shitposting on 40kchan that they don't notice the daemonette
>>
>>45196293
It's for Inquisitorial research purposes.

>>45196340
>40k chan
>he doesn't know about top Zaporozhian bantz
>>
>>45196103
If I remember correctly, the peninsula that had the chaos stronghold on it described the ritual that was used to summon the Word Bearers to Kronus. I also remember a bit about some refugees that had fled into the swamp to avoid the war. They set up shop in some ancient comms outpost, and had to fend off insane swamp barbarians nightly after a point. They sent out a scout party to look for some place to fall back to, and they came back reporting some weird statue they found in the middle of the swamp, that looked like twisting fire. There were people in the fire, with faces that looked an awful lot like members from the refugee party.
>>
DC sucked, capped how many turrets you could build.
>>
>>45196499
Well, when you reach the cap you're either so far in the game that turrets aren't as reliable as a defense anymore, or if it's earlier, you've fucked up investing so much time and resources on static defense.
>>
>>45194054
risk style map was more creative

you can actually build up your holdings instead of constantly rebuilding every time an enemy attacks it
>>
>>45196499
At least dark crusade allowed me to mantain my base!
>>
File: laughing eldar whores.jpg (355KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
laughing eldar whores.jpg
355KB, 446x400px
>>45196499
>he's a turtling fag
>>
>>45195987
Eliphas alone made this the best DoW game. So damn nice to have a Chaos Lord who was suave and charismatic instead of a fucking maniac.
>>
What are your guys thougts about the stronhold mods for soulstorm?
>>
>>45196594
Mehtal bawkses, though?!
>>
>>45196571

The issue with maintaining a base is that it didn't allow the enemy to bring much better forces than normal or their own base structure to oppose yours.

So once you had a place captured it stayed damnwell captured as they couldn't hope to oppose an endgame team with a starting one.
>>
>>45196612
But that's what I want I spent my resources and men in order for me to get the relic unit so I crush my enemies, and if they try to retake the province I want my Baneblade welcome them.
>>
>>45196670

Would you like the same if the enemy territory started with Relic units while you had the starting facilities? The game would go nowhere as no one could ever capture territory.
>>
>>45196684
They often start with two bases though.
>>
>>45196594
Too bad they made him lame as fuck and a Black Legionnaire in DoWII.
>>
>>45195987
Is there any chance someone saved/screencapped what they wrote? I remember some anon writing the "Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" but in 40k, to this picture.
Would be really great.
>>
>>45194054
Glitches, game crashes and game mechanics not working properly.
Voice acting.
Writing.
None of the additional base construction you did stayed, you'd always be back to the same 5 or so buildings when defending.
>>
>>45196702
Hell, some of those maps started with three bases.
>>
>>45196885

And BL named him Torquill and gave him Daddy issues up the wazoo.

---

Eliphas ground his teeth. He had hoped that Kronus would seal his place in history and allow him to bargain for Lorgar’s favour. He had failed.

But it was not the end of his ambitions. Even if he had to throttle Kor Phaeron and slay a thousand worlds himself, he would get the respect he deserved...

He walked out into the body-strewn surrounds of the templum. Kronus was a stepping stone, as he had said, but now he knew that he could depend upon the primarch for nothing.

The principles had been proven. Now he would enact his plans on a far grander scale. There would be a reckoning. When the time came, Eliphas swore to himself, Lorgar would finally take notice, and the name of the Inheritor would be known across the galaxy.

Whether as a curse or blessing, he did not care.
>>
>>45197769
>Daddy issues from a Chaos Space Marine
That's like saying water is wet.
>>
>>45197769
Lorgar-senpai, please notice me.
>>
>>45197769

As he went, he heard Eres speaking to Yoth.

‘Why do you call him “Inheritor”?’

‘It is how he came by the rank of Chapter Master,’ Yoth replied with a bitter laugh. ‘During the Purge, he slew the previous leader of the Ark of Testimony, and took his place. Lorgar did not elevate him, saying only that he had “inherited” his command. He never earned his place, and we will never let him forget it.’
>>
I would gladly pay an arm or a leg to have a drawing or Avitus getting raped by degenerate Eldar
>>
>>45196914
>Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks

Here's one I did just now.

Vostroyan Firstborn to the Warmaster of Chaos!

O warmaster, Warp devil and damned Khorne's kith and kin, secretary to Tzeentch himself. What the devil kind of Space Marine are you, that can't slay a squig with your naked arse? Nurgle excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Imperial sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by void we will battle with thee, fuck your Primarch.

You Cadian scullion, Catachan wheelwright, brewer of Krieg, grox-fucker of Tallarn, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Armageddon, pig of Elysia, Praetorian thief, catamite of Valahalla, hangman of Mordian, and fool of all the Materium and Immaterium, an idiot before the Emperor, grandson of Slaanesh, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own Primarch!

So the Vostroyans declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Imperials. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date in the Warp; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Emperor, the day's the same over here as it is over there, maybe; for this kiss our arse!

- Alexandr Mikhailovich, with the whole Vostroyan Host.
>>
>>45194054
The mods are fun.
Ultimate Apocalypse especially
>>
>>45199360
Is there a mod for soulstorm that implement a new campaign or a new faction or even new units into the campaign?
>>
>>45196594
Well, he IS a Word Bearer. "Suave and charismatic" are part of the job description.
Krull did fit as a fucking maniac because he was a World Eater.

The other two Chaos Lords however were legitimately bad
>>
>>45199428
>New Campaign
Probably, but I haven't looked to much into it as there are a LOT of shitty mods made by russians
>New Units
Fucktons of them. UA I know at least doubles the amount of unit types
>New Factions
Same as above, I know there's the Tyranids, Chaos Daemons, Renegade Guardsmen (really needs to be updated and added into UA), and Grey Knights. Those are the good ones anyway
>>
Soulstorm is better balanced and has better multiplayer. Dark crusade is better if you want to play a cooler and better campaign.
>>
>>45199568
Also Black Templars, Dark Angels, Salamanders, Space Wolves, Steel Legion, Daemonhunt, World Eaters and Harlequins.
One day, hopefully soon, they'll finish the Thousand Sons, Mechanicus, Blood Angels and Ultramarines mods too.
>>
>>45199520
Hey now, hammy and cartoonish as it is, I really enjoyed Firaveus Carron's stronghold speech. It felt like old school 80's over the top type evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqP1BqwvIw

And yes, Cornholio Cultist is still worth a giggle or two.
>>
>>45194054
The fliers were the only thing that made me go back to Dark Crusade, they were just not needed for that type of RTS. Other than that though more races the merrier.
>>
>>45195683
Link to that tourney pls?
>>
>>45194054
Broadsides came in squads of three.
>>
File: Emperor of Mankind.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor of Mankind.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>45199118
Thank you anon, that's great.
>>
>>45199885
I thank thee, my Emperor. It is a privilege to serve.
>>
>>45199645
Ah Richard Cheney, It must be difficult to be him.
I bet he is jumping with joy because of BFG.
>>
File: titans.jpg (278KB, 1204x760px) Image search: [Google]
titans.jpg
278KB, 1204x760px
Have anyone heard anything new about the Titans submod for Ultimate Apocalypse?
It has not been updated since the launching of THB.
>>
>>45200114
As far as i know, ded
>>
File: hopes-deleted.gif (279KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
hopes-deleted.gif
279KB, 500x282px
>>45200246
>>
>>45200114
Wait what that was ever a thing? What is the newest version it is compatible with?
>>
>>45200391
The UA that didn't had the THB addition
>>
>>45200432
*The last UA
>>
>>45194187
>>45194187
I assumed that eldar won because their victory conditions have them letting the imperials retake the system
the Imperial guard and sister victories put them in too strong of a light and the eldar one was pretty mild for them
>>
>>45200625
But it doesn't explain how Cyru would survive, It only makes sense if the guard won for him to survive.
>>
>>45200735
he and his scouts ran like bitches?

or were already back shipside during said assault?
could have been just as easily explained as he and others who were wounded during the campaign werent present at the stronghold attack
guys missing an eye and it might not be because he wanted more augers
>>
>>45200735
It's fully possible that he and whatever other survivors simply managed to escape.
Or that the Eldar let him go to fulfill one of those stupidly convoluted prophecies they put so much stock in.
>>
The new factions were good, but balance sucked, fliers really did not work as they should have, and the voice acting in the campaign was laughably bad as we all know.
>>
File: 600px-Stubbs.jpg (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
600px-Stubbs.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>>45200834
>>45200846
But Vance though, what about his dream to restore the honor of his regiment and make Kaurava a beacon of the Emperor holy light.
>>
>>45200902
his dream failed anon, shoulda kept them baneblades
>>
>>45201003
Didn't the continent sized manufactorum kinda made his 100 baneblades request a little more sensible
>>
>>45194896
Living saints have differing powers besides being able to resurrect (the living saint death cultist in Atlas Infernal regenerated from bones). Maybe St. Anais' was being a big girl.
>>
>>45201112
if you have 100 baneblades, and your in the midst of a huge war
you can keep them for another month
it was a terrible line that should never have been said
>>
>>45199428

There is a way to enable UA to work with the campaign. Not (currently) supported and probably buggy as hell, though.
>>
>>45201260
Yeah it's better wait until Cylarne implements a campaign properly into the mod, I hope it's map based.
>>
From what I have read, the Imperial Guard won Soul Storm.
Both of the Warhammer 40k confirm this. As does 1d4chan. Take for as you will.
>>
>>45194054

Soulstorm was better.

Better campaign because buildings you built on maps didn't stay for the next battle. People moaned about this but they're retarded. In DC you often had to waste half an hour on a map building up your defences in case that province was attacked later. You'd be doing this only once you'd already basically won because you'd penned the enemy in their deployment area, so it was a chore and not a challenge. In Soulstorm this wasn't necessary because enemy attacks didn't depend on the strength of their origin province but on their army instead.

Better multiplayer because, with the exception of the unpatched SoB abuses, it was better balanced.

Both games needed to be harder though. Remember the Tau strongholds in both games? That should have been the benchmark for stronghold difficulty.
>>
>>45194054
Much like the decline of 40k, it introduced flyers.
Which doesn't suit the scale of the game.
>>
>>45194054
I don't get the love for Dark Crusade. The campaign AI was awful, you have to deliberately lose to end up having to defend your stronghold.
The writing was even more nonsensical than usual, particularly the wargear blurbs...

More importantly the gameplay was waaaaaaaay out of balance. Stuff like the changes to infiltrate, accuracy while moving, and turret placements horribly messed with the balance.
Factions were even more imbalanced than ever. Dark Crusade is where the competitive element of the community died.
>>
>>45205637
Oh yeah and apart from the stronghold missions (which were great), nearly every other fight was just a generic skirmish.
>>
>>45194054
Soulstorm is better if you mod it up.

Soulstorm + Ultimate Apocalypse + Tyranids mod + Daemons mod + GK mod is the ultimate 40k experience
>>
>>45204682
>Remember the Tau strongholds in both games? That should have been the benchmark for stronghold difficulty.
I reluctanctly agree. Being attacked by multiple groups of Greater Knarlocs, Krootoxes supported by Drone Harvesters, Hammerheads, Stealthsuits and Fire Warriors stopped being fun after the third complete base rebuild. And God help you if you are playing Dark Eldar.

But the other strongholds were too easy in comparison.
>>
>Grey Knights mod
First time I heard of this. Aren't you guys confusing the Inquisition Daemonhunt mod for something else?
>>
Dark Crusade isn't that much better of a game now (if it is at all). At release and for awhile after? Most definitely Soulstorm was shit, but with the bugs and what have you mostly worked out, it's more just the shit launch and people talking about it as if it was still launch that has people labeling Soulstorm as shit.
>>
>>45208316
well the fact that the shit lasted for quite a long time before it was fixed kinda fucked the game permanently
>>
>>45195010
Not only are Knight Titans only recently revived in the fluff, but they don't have a very strong connection to the Ecclesiarchy. The Living Saint just works best - big flamey sword and faith.

>I SHINE WITH THE PUREST OF LIGHTS.
>>
>>45208457

It's kinda funny now. People will bitch and moan about every little thing in Soulstorm and how Dark Crusade was better, even if the little things they bitch about are also in Dark Crusade.
>>
For story/campaign? Dark Crusade

For Multiplayer/Skirmish? Soulstorm

>>45204682
>>45205637
>>45206783
These anons have it right, Though, in fairness I got into Soulstorm pretty late, after most of the bugs had been patched, but it is still my favorite RTS of all time. These days I mod it out with UA.
>>45206663
Truth
>Mechanicus faction when?
>>
Dark Crusade had far more memorable characters, where most of Soulstorm's characters felt much more flat.
>>
>>45209607
Commander 'Spaehs Mahreens' Boreale is pretty damn memorable, though perhaps for the wrong reasons.
>>
i'm playing a new IG campaign in soulstorm after I conquered a dark eldar warp gate i notice that the tau already took the spacemarines stronghold and are preparing to take the Orks out.
Should I be concerned?
>>
>>45194689
FOR EMPRAHS SAKE THEY DIDNT LOSE THE BANEBLADES! THEY WERE FUCKING RELOCATED BY HIGHER REGIMENTS!
>>
>>45210302
But a continent sized manufactorum seems like something worth sending atleast a dozen of baneblades for.
>>
>>45204682
So you think its better to defeat the enemy only for them to immediately invade the same place but all the stuff you literally just built is gone?
>>
>>45210355
This, at least have some of the nearest important points already capped or something, being attacked every turn by DEldar, Spehs muhreens and Tau sucked for playing gorgutz, made the first five or so turns awful to play through
>>
>>45200902
caerys is such a slut
>>
>>45200902
I still think there should be a tau girl in that image.
>>
>>45210454
I'm not sure if Tau girls were at all popular back then. Eldar get a free pass because elf chicks, but otherwise Stubbs only pounds loyal Imperials with his Hammer of the Emperor.
>>
Is this a general Dawn Of War thread? Am I the only one that digs Dawn Of War 2? I wish I had more people to play last stand with.
>>
>>45210671
>Is this a general Dawn Of War thread?
Pretty much.
I wish there was another Dawn of war game or atleast another 40k RTS (I know about bfg but I still want to command my guardsmen.)
>>
If anyone wants to play some warhammer with me add me on steam
PillarOfWamuu.

>>45210739
They might do another one after Warhammer Fantasy though.
Is Mordheim any good? I like the turnbased strategy style.
>>
File: DOW2Guide.jpg (977KB, 650x4798px) Image search: [Google]
DOW2Guide.jpg
977KB, 650x4798px
>>45210671
I actually enjoy the multiplayer of DoW2. It's not like the originals, but playing with people makes the problems with the AI less severe and it feels a little more like the tabletop in some ways.

I tried the new Armageddon game a bit back, but it was 2hard4me. Didn't even reach the point where Space Marines saved the day.

My computer is out of commission for the next week or so and I just wanna play videogames and tell my internet friends I'm okay. It sucks.
>>
>>45210804
Whats your steam friend? I will add you and you can accept when I jump on.
Also I have not played the multiplayer only messed around a bit in Skirmish. I do love the new campaigns for all the games and Last Stand mod is fun (though it sucks you need 3 people to play) I feel the gameplay is a giant improvement over the first game.
>>
File: whycantiholdallthesebaneblades.jpg (153KB, 600x725px) Image search: [Google]
whycantiholdallthesebaneblades.jpg
153KB, 600x725px
>>45210302
>>45210332

They were supposed to be still in the system.

>5100085 Since the outbreak of the Warp Storm on Kaurava IV, the Imperial Guard had known a humbling series of setbacks – losing a full three quarters of their fighting men was just a start. General Stubbs was determined to triumph in the face of this and all other adversity. Unfortunately, a full regiment of Baneblade tanks, the Imperial Guard’s armored super-weapon, had that very day been dispatched to various territories throughout the Kaurava system.

>5200041 How many do we have on hand?
>5200042 Unfortunately, sir, a shipment of one hundred Baneblades had just gone out to serve–
>5200043 I see.

Perhaps they ran afoul of the Necrons' ENDLESS MONOLITHS.

>5100097 Out of the dry Imossan sands, an ancient complex emerged – part burial ground, part power plant, part staging ground. As builder scarabs removed sands and restored structures to power, its clean-cut, symmetrical, and lifeless form emerged. It pulsed with the green glow of the strange power which fuels the Necrons – vast reserves of it. Enough to drive an endless stream of monoliths and Necron soldiers.
>>
>>45210804
>I tried the new Armageddon game a bit back
wut game
>>
>>45210819
Teithiwr. I cannot for the life of me remember the profile picture, but there won't be too many people with that name.

I wouldn't necessarily call the gameplay an improvement - they were both their own thing. DoW was the RTS throughout, but DoW2 made its campaign feel a lot different from its multiplayer. Last Stand is pretty fun too, but it's annoying being a dozen levels behind on your best character and wanting to try something new.
>>
>>45210671
Last Stand was a bit silly but quite fun. I played the Tyrant mostly with a minions build. It was pretty glorious, I had insanely powerful minions and a lot of life regeneration.
>>
>>45210846
Added.
And again annyone else that wants to add me can right here
>>45210750
>>
>>45210859
Add me as well if you want to play
I messed around with Hive Tyrant and the Tau Commander. They all look cool though.
>>
>>45210825
Warhammer 40000: Armageddon. I do like it. Hex based tactics game, simple dialogue cutscenes but with voiceacting as you work through the 2nd War (vox operator a cute). Complex and I have no idea what half the numbers mean, but you get a good, rough sense of it as you go and it's pretty fun. Pretty much every model is represented except the Malcador.

Cannot figure out the map editor for the life of me, though, and all the single player maps are just some of the campaign maps and scenarios on their own.
>>
>>45210804
>Didn't even reach the point where Space Marines saved the day.
That's where I got bored with the game.

I usually dig strategy hard core, but it just wasn't grabbing me.
>>
File: warhammer.jpg (626KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
626KB, 1600x900px
>>45210876
Forgot the pic.
>>
>>45210876
>>45210885
>>45210891
I might give it a go but its too expensive right now
>>
>>45194054
Basically the development being stopped halfwa into the game.
Iron Lore originally intended to fix all the fuckups Relic introduced with Winter Assault and worsened with Dark Crusade, but THQ decided that Dawn of War 2's release would be to close to the intended Soulstorm release, so they told them to pack up in a month and just released the beta shit.
>>
>>45194153
The Devs were forced to include fliers in an engine that was never ment to support them.
>>
>>45194817
>withchunter mod
>implying people dont already play with the promod or apocalypse mod
>>
>Love mods from Dawn Of War
>Try and find some good ones for Dawn Of War 2
>Codec mod is half Finished
>Cant get Destroyer to work
Atleast I got the Elite mod?
>>
>>45194896
Yeah, somehow people think saint celestine is not!sanguinius, even though her model and backstory only apply to her as a living human being instead of an angel; and this game caused people to think all living saints are angels from the emprah, which is bullshit
>>
>>45195683
Dawn of Eldar is written in Hyperbole, but there is a lot of truth to it.
>>
>>45209607
Boreale is literally the most memorable character in all of DoW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGiNE-FmrLM
>>
>>45211016
Pls, DOW had Eliphas, gabe, SSSSSIIIIIINDRRRRRRIIIIIII, Davy Cool and Gorgutz, all of whom were way more memorable than Boreale. BAWLD AND FEWLISH and a few other stale memes is all there is to remember about boreale
>>
>>45211016
>Not Siiiindri!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tCHVysyUs
I actually cant decide who was a cooler Chaos commander.
Sindri or fucking Eliphas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRlYSE6kWAg
>tfw Relic has a huge boner for Khorne and dont have any chill Slaanesh/Tzeentch Chaos Lords
Honestly every faction should have 4 commanders. It is completely doable.

>>45211051
I also really like the Librarian from the first game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_3ZTp4eG4
>>
>>45211069
the smug and calm voice is fucking awesome
>>
File: 1396103315968.jpg (49KB, 427x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396103315968.jpg
49KB, 427x300px
>Imperial Guardsman Don't have access to Ratling Scouts/Snipers
the Vindicare is too weak by themselves but Eldar Rangers and Marine Scout Snipers fucking wreck shit.

>>45211078
Who exactly?
Also Dawn Of War has cool voice acting. The Commisar is just as bad ass as he was in the first game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6cSEI1FLk
Also
>Play IG
>Select Krieg Skin
>Switch to German Voice acting
>mfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-mX69_2nQ
>>
>>45211105
isador.
the music and the voice gives off the perfect vibe of an angel in complete command of his mid powers.
>>
>>45211117
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5s81NRdQE
The Chaplain is great. Hes like a mix between a Heroic Paladin and a TV Evangelist
>>
>>45211069
>Chaplain
>Captain
>Librarian
>Techmarine/Apothecary

Warboss, Big Mek, Painboss, Weirdboy
Chaos Lord, Warpsmith, Librarian, Dark Apostle
Farseer, Autarch, Spiritseer, Avatar
Company Commander with large, varied squad
Necron Overlord, Court of the Overlord
Crisis Commander, Ethereal, Fireblade, Air Caste Command maybe?
>>
>>45194054
When it comes to large expansion pack i have a rule of three. If a company puts out two successfully expansion packs the third one is most likely a cash grab made to capitalize on the success of the previous two. Thats soul storm's problem, it was rushed and made to make a extra buck
>>
>>45211132
yeah.
Its incredible how relic manages to get the soul of every unit right in every game that it makes.
take CoH2 for example
>ostruppen are angry bitter slavs who want to one up the germans.
>>
>>45211136
>>Chaplain
>>Captain
>>Librarian
>>Techmarine/Apothecary
This works

Warboss, Mek, Kommando Nob, Mad Dok

Chaos Lord, Sorceror, Warpsmith, Cult leader (utilizing a command squad or stealth tactics. Depends how you spec his command squad)
I dont know about the Eldar Honestly
General, Inquisitor, Commisar, Tank Ace
I dont know enough about Necrons
And the Tau is solid except for the 4th choice.
Perhaps a Kroot Chief?

>>45211139
I suck at COH but yeah the dialogue in that is great. I appreciate the random dialogue. They should add that in Dawn Of War.
>>
>>45211183
>orks
I love me a weirdboy, kommando nobs arent that great, and a painboss is a boss nob dok
>cult leader
works well
>eldar
neither do i, i was actually joking about having two of the most high-powered things in 40k being on the same level as techmarines and sorcerors
>Inquisitor, commissar, tank ace
nah, guard should've just had a more varied CCS with better options
>kroot
may as well not exist in current tabletop lore, which sucks. A shaper would be a good fit there though, the games gave kroot a major role in armed forces
>>
>>45211139
>thouse ruskis rubbing their hands and doing the slav squat by the fire to get warm in cold mission

CoH2 had its problems but as far as cherecterezation gouse, it was awesome
>>
>>45211214
>love me a weirdboy
I just dont see a Weird Boy actually leading an Ork Army but sure.
>Cult Leader works well
You could run into trouble with "why is this normal humie ordering around Daemons and Space Marines" But fuck it. Fluff it so hes the inside man and he knows what to do.
>Guardsman Command Squad
But muh tank Ace. Honestly the way the Guard Rely on armor support makes it make sense I think.

>Kroot
I dont know much about tabletop lore tbqh. I love warhammer but I get my information from here, my friend who does play it and the books I read.
>>
>>45211132
Chaplain is easily my favourite command unit. Him and Grey Knights have my absolute favourite lines in game, and I say this as a Guardfag. I've thought about employing these in a Dark Heresy game as a joint operation type thing.

http://hg-rising.deviantart.com/art/Chaplain-WA-Soundboard-170373798

http://gin22.deviantart.com/art/Grey-Knight-Soundboard-205257409
>>
>>45211292
>I've thought about employing these in a Dark Heresy game as a joint operation type thing.
Always on the look out for warhammer games. Where do you usually play?
>>
>>45211303
Well, I'm Yuropoor. Not sure if that's any use to you.
>>
>>45211362
I figured you might play online
Skype/role20
>>
File: chaos gate.gif (263KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
chaos gate.gif
263KB, 800x600px
Chaos Gate > Rites of War > Dawn of War > Final Liberation > Space Marine > Space Hulk (original) > Dawn of War 2 > Space Hulk (new)

I'd recommend playing them all except the new Space Hulk.
>>
>>45211415
A friend bought spacehulk for me cause it was cheap. (the new one)
Why is it bad?
>>
>>45211254
>weirdboy
just let him 'eadbang a nob or two, the rest will fall into line soon enough.
>cult leader
Give him a few favourable mutation rolls, or randomly generate something new every time he's created
>tank ace
Every other commander is an infantry character, don't want to change things up
>tau
new battlesuits are all that get released, ever, and they're constantly getting bigger, uglier, and further away from the sleek, minimal aesthetic that was early tau. Which makes me sad since i loved their basic infantry, allied races and tanks/armour but disliked all the suits other than broadsides. Kroot may as well not exist anymore, the tanks are twice the cost compared to suits, and the only infantry update they've had in ages is a shitty gimmick unit
>>
>>45211362
i am yuropoor aswell!
>>
>>45211436
now kiss
>>
>>45211423
The latest patch (months ago) broke the game. many campaign missions are unfinishable
Unfortunately the developers went bust so it's only 1 guy trying to fix it.

Hopefully it's fixed soon, but wasn't when I last checked a few weeks ago.
>>
>>45211183
>all those /tg/ memes relic could be shoving into dawn of war 3
my body is ready.
>>45211222
kek.
>>
>>45211469
Actually scratch this. Looking at the steam page now apparently it was finally bug fixed a week ago.
I had been waiting since August for that and kind of doubted it would ever happen.
>>
>>45211485
>all those /tg/ memes relic could be shoving into dawn of war 3
huh?
>>
>>45211105
I found the vindi was amazing....just set him up on the other side of the enemy base. Move your men in, have vindi pop any character's they try to spawn in..

Though I'll admit...unless you were super careful with him he was utter grabo
>>
>>45194856
>>45195004

In addition, didn't Relic outright say the IG won?
>>
>>45211566
yeah
>>
>>45211566
I think so...least that's what I remember
>>
>>45211561
he was the CoH2 sniper
>>45211510
relic and CA fill their games with ebin 4chan references.
>drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword
>the fire rises
>now is not the time for fear, that comes later.
>>
>>45211586
>He was the CoH2 sniper.

Oh sweet jesus
>>
>>45211595
he literally was.
undetectable
takes down one model at a time.
>>
>>45211604
I know. It just clicked when you said that.

I mean. I was playing against my friends and picked off his commander, librarian and half of his men between my earth shakers and the vindi.

He was to busy building to try and hold off my armored front and mechanized infantry
>>
>>45194054
I hate how Dark Eldar and SoB have their bullshit abilities no other faction has

How is that shit balanced
>>
>>45211704
because both armies were supposed to play in a unique manner? anyway, faith and souls were both pretty shit powers in general
>>
Gonna play some DOW2 and go to bed. Add me if you wanna play.
>>
>>45211704

Because without those abilities they are a bit sub-par for the course?

They've got faction-scale mana rather than unit-scale.
>>
>>45211717
>>45211771
It's fucking gay I tell you hwat
>>
>>45209607

I was actually really pissed off with the SOB characters.

They took the order famous for it's careful planning, cool heads and even temper...and had them act like the Order of Our Martyred Lady, screaming and ranting.
>>
>>45211799
hey, it was a cool concept they used successfully in CoH.
>>
>>45211704
Yeah, but Dark Eldar were still a glass cannon that was ridiculously glassy and not that incredibly cannon-y, while SoB really struggled on all-out battles since they were flat-out outmatched by other armies:
>Marines had stronger squads and basically as many effectives, better vehicles, and more and better heroes.
>Chaos were even more, and to the Living Saint they replied with Demon Prince and Bloodthirster
>Eldar were fucking Eldar
>>
>>45211860

SOB are suffered heavily from 'Oh, you don't use morale/have good morale? Well, we are fucked'.

Necrons were the prime issue there where without the ability to shatter morale all those flamers were useless. Though guard with enough support and marines could also do it.
>>
>>45211877
>>45211877
they were one faction that needed melta weapons.
something that has low range but can fire on the move and is good against heavy infantry and armor.
>>
>>45211877
Yeah, their only good thing was the special weapon spam, and they only got flamers - which aren't that effective against a gunline with fuckhuge range and damage (Tau, Eldar) or just more practical anti-infantry weapons (SM, CSM), not to mention the immortal soulless robots of course. Or the guardsmen that spammed just as many plasmaguns or grenade launchers.

Yeah, having lots of meltas could be nice, but still they lost tremendously to any enemy infantry.
>>
>>45211904
But they HAD melta-weapons ... or is my mind playing tricks?
They had an alternative to flamers which was good against vehicles, but didn't prove as good as missles against them or as plasma against heavy infantry, I think.
>>
>>45211904

They did have Melta.

But it turned up odd places like the Celestian Squads. Basic Battle Sisters had no anti-tank as they only got Flamer and Bolter.

For some reason the two SOB anti-tank units got completly left out of the game.

Dominions: Fast, Mechanized SOB who infiltrate into enemy territory and blast away tanks before the enemy knows the battle has started.
Retributors: SOB heavy weapons troops with MULTIMELTAS, not just meltaguns.
>>
>>45211936

Addendum: The also turned the Exorcist, a direct fire anti-heavy infantry/anti-tank vehicle with an ungodly rate of fire into an arty piece that did barely any damage but a heap of knockdown.

It's the SOB equivalent of a Predator Battle Tank, not a Whirlwind.
>>
>>45211936
>>45211829

These together make me really pissed off.

The order that took part in Soulstorm? Are well known for having the highest numbers of and most skilled Retributors in the SOB Orders. Yet the game didn't give them access to Retributors.

It's like including the Raven Guard as your marine chapter and saying no one gets to be stealthy.

If they actually played like the order they were supposed to be they'd play Moving Firebase. Dismounting an ungodly amount of heavy weapons and setting up a horrifying firing range before packing up and moving elsewhere. With the issue that if they get caught out of position a lot of that heavy weaponry is in trouble.
>>
>>45211933
>>45211936
the baseline infantry didn't have it.
so their bread and butter unit was useless against vehicles and necrons
>>
Is there any actual concrete evidence there is a dow3 in production?
>>
>>45211566
Well, kind of hard not to with all those Baneblades backing them up.
>>
>>45211370
Not running anything at the moment since I'm swamped with college. Sorry mate.
>>
Are the Blood Ravens speshal snowflakes? Are any specific characters special snowflakes?
>>
>>45198197
Isn't that wrong, though? I was under the impression that the Dark Inheritance was something to do with the ritual that summoned Eliphas.
>>
>>45211936
Celestians also didn't have the meltas as default, which could have been their saving grace.

>>45211953
Exorcist also did a lot of morale damage, and the disuption was borderline OP
>enjoying your infantry mass? Well FUCK YOU, watch it get erased by an Exorcist and a squad if HB Sisters
>>
File: relic04747.jpg (716KB, 1279x1023px) Image search: [Google]
relic04747.jpg
716KB, 1279x1023px
>>45211877
Necrons still used morale. Warriors, Immortals, and the Lord could all be broken (Builder Scarabs too, though for unarmed units having their morale broken is only a plus). The Necron Lord in particular had the lowest morale of any primary commander, funnily enough.

>>45211924
Battle Sisters had heavy bolters as well as flamers. And, of course, the faithlasers.

>>45211936
>Retributors: SOB heavy weapons troops with MULTIMELTAS, not just meltaguns.

Celestians had multi-meltas in addition to meltaguns. 2 of each per squad.

And to be fair, pretty much every faction had units and weapons left out or changed from their tabletop roles. Instead of Dominion and Retributor squads, Battle Sisters had extra flamers or heavy bolters while Celestians were fast-moving anti-tank. But on the other hand, Space Marines never had Tactical, Devastator, or Veteran squads, only Space Marine squads, with extra special/heavy weapons. Chaos Marine squads originally had all the same weapon upgrades as their loyalist counterparts, then lost everything except heavy bolters (though Dark Crusade gave them their plasma guns back, at a later tier but much more powerful).
>>
File: 2016-01-09_00003.jpg (501KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-09_00003.jpg
501KB, 1920x1080px
The only good thing about Soulstorm is the Firestorm over Kaurava mod.
>>
>>45208856

There's a mechanicus faction mod for soulstorm. However it's not real mechanicus, but all the made up forge world shit.
>>
>>45214909
MechanicuM and MechanicuS are two different things, and two different mods.
>>
So Warpstorm over Aurelia is also unfinished. I hate unfinished mods

>>45212384
Fair enough bro. I am in 3 games already so I might not make it anyway.

>>45213112
Whats that one Grey Knight Ward keeps making into a Big Dick G?
>>
>>45196589
How can you even play imperial fists without having million turrets?
>>
File: img4ae01ebd12b54.jpg (104KB, 466x800px) Image search: [Google]
img4ae01ebd12b54.jpg
104KB, 466x800px
>>45216182
>How can you even play imperial fists

Good question.
>>
File: HERASY.jpg (131KB, 1255x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HERASY.jpg
131KB, 1255x1080px
>>45216182
>Turrets in Dawn Of War 2 cost Pop cap
>>
The one thing I really don't understand is why there aren't 40k mods for Men of War yet.

That shit is fucking gold
>>
>>45212107
No but I think they bought the domain name for it.
>>
>>45216887
Speaking of mods
What are some good ones for Warhammer 2?
>>
>>45195010
I don't think Knight Titans were even out yet when the DoW games came out.
>>
>>45210804
Funny thing is, you just have to focus on power nodes to switch off any difficulty of the game.
>>
>>45217873
>Codex: Imperial Knights (2014)
>Soulstorm: 2007
Nope, they weren't.
>>
>>45194312

you know Blood Ravens lost Kaurava in the canon?
>>
>>45194312
>And Cyrus is the best part of Dawn of War 2!
I concur
>Stealth
>Satchel Charges
>Melta Bombs
Fuck yo buildings and tanks bitch
>>
>Play DOW1 campaign
>lose consistently and never beat any of them/have to keep defending territory and stunting my progress
>DOW2 campaign is easy to understand and play
Am I a pleb?
>>
>>45219185
Ehhh, they're different types of RTS so it's normal some people will like one and not the other. So no, this doesn't make you a pleb. DOW1 was probably a more complex game, but not necessarily a more 'elite' game.
>>
>>45219303

I wouldn't say DoW 1 was more complex, but it was more relentless, whereas in DoW 2 you could usually have time to plan.

>that fucking DC Tau Stronghold. God it felt good to kill that fucking Ethereal.
>>
Who is the best Imperial Commander and why is it Lord General Castor?

>>45219303
COH also kicks my ass harder then the other games.
I might try and get back into the other games though.
Basically units in DOW2 actually feel usefull.
Snipers in DOW1 sucked shit. In DOW2 theya ctuall kill infantry in one shot.
Anti Tank troops (Missiles, Lascannons) took a while to bring down a normal tank.
In DOW2 a couple good shots can easily ruin a tanks day.
Also Suppression is way better then breaking morale as a mechanic.
>>
>>45219346
>but it was more relentless
This so much
>Build up a huge army and fill out my population cap
>Enemy launches their attack and wipes out my army barely surviving
>spend all that money and time building back up again
>rinse and repeat
thats just not fun.
>>
>>45219389
You won't get better if you just auto-attack in the general direction of the enemy.
>>
>>45219443
I didnt get out of my based before they attacked
>>
>>45219463
But you need to get out and get those strategic points.
>>
>>45219512
But then my lone basic scouts/Infantry get wrekted by the enemy.
The AI cheats because they can input commands faster then a human can.
>>
>>45218985
Imperial Knights have been a thing since the fucking beginning m8.
>>
>>45219545
If you do not contest strategic points you're going to be in resource disadvantage. This means even if you survive an enemy attack and wipe out their army, they'll build back faster than you. Also strategic points allow you to see what's actually happening on the map, prevent attacks or counter-attack accordingly, and so on.
>>
>>45219545
After the first wave it's time for you to get the fuck out and get some map control.

And yes, the ai cheats. Welcome to every rts that is still beatable.
>>
>>45219624
>>45219660
I do this actually except for the one edition that actually has a cap on turrets which is horseshit
>>
>>45219700
Turtling not allowed, this is an aggressive game. There is also a cap on units, so I don't see why you should be allowed to fill the map with turrets.
>>
>>45219730
>so I don't see why you should be allowed to fill the map with turrets.
So I can defend my bases effectively
>>
>>45219700
It's not like turrets are going to be of any help in the mid-to-late game. There's that sweet spot in the early-mid game when you can actually afford them without hampering your military or research too much AND have a positive effect on the game, but when you can actually get to the cap they're already pretty much pointless. It takes several turrets to hold back just a couple of squads, and I'm not talking about heavy-armored anti-armor squads, just regular marines. And artillery and Tau can just troll you.
>>
>>45219575
Sure, but before 2014 they hadn't really gotten mentioned since early Epic, and were generally assumed to be "squatted" since there was no mention of them at all in more modern fluff.
>>
>>45219760
There are enough turrets to build for your base but you are retarded if you think you can get a 100% secure base.
>>
>>45216278
>Aggressively claim every power node as soon as possible
>Put a single turret on each
>You're done
>>
>>45219792
Ok so the cap only goes to 20 right? I have to spread that over specialist troops and vehicles.
So I go out and expand lets say with basic Guardsman squad. I usually send 2 off at a time and sit back and build some infentry with my commander to build and defend my main base.
As my guardsman are capping points and I am sitting back building my varied army for the actual attack. I dont have enough troops to both defend my main base and expand at the same time.
>>
>>45219859
Identify and exploit chokepoints.
Try to get to tier 2 as soon as possible, to get vehicles. Everything gets easier with vehicles.
Do not waste resources until you've got a solid army.
>>
>>45219972
I do try and get vehicles asap. I usually build atleast a few basic troops to guard my commander.
I wish I had more people to play with honestly. I might learn a thing or 2
>>
>>45220021
What difficulty setting are you playing?
>>
>>45220477
in DOW1 easy
in DOW2 normal
DOW2 I find way easier to understand and play.
>>
>>45220539
That's ... uh, strange.
What is your building order?

I usually go this way:
-Immediately build barracks with the starting worker; order two 'explorer' squads from the HQ (the basic, cheap, capping infantry) and a second worker after them.
-Send the squads capping. Check on them to avoid conflicts since they can't get any damage done. When the barracks are ready, I usually start with a hero, then a basic squad immediately afterwards.
-Build an energy battery and start fortifying one or two capped points. Get the second basic squad ASAP.

Then I proceed accordingly to the situation, sometimes it's better to put more resources to get three full squads soon, other times it's better to proceed to tier 2 and get vehicles.
>>
>>45220651
>I usually go this way:
>-Immediately build barracks with the starting worker; order two 'explorer' squads from the HQ (the basic, cheap, capping infantry) and a second worker after them.
>-Send the squads capping. Check on them to avoid conflicts since they can't get any damage done. When the barracks are ready, I usually start with a hero, then a basic squad immediately afterwards.
>-Build an energy battery and start fortifying one or two capped points. Get the second basic squad ASAP.
Exactly my gameplan
Except I build extra Builders to send with my explorers and fortify all my captured points on the way
>>
>>45220539
DOW2 focuses much more on micromanagement on squads and effectively using cover. It is much more forgiving on resource management, since your requisition income buffs when you are low on population, and horribly unforgiving in combat, since squads are damn precious and feeding enemy squads is something you'll regret.
DOW1 requires you to manage and compromise several things at once:
>Control: cap and contest points, fight off enemy capping units
>Defense: opponent is very aggressive, base is very vulnerable compared to DOW2
>Research: you have to power up your squads, advance your HQ, build structures...
It's an all different RTS. I found DOW1 much easier, but I've grown on that kind of game (with Age of Empires, Empire Earth and Age of Mythology in my childhood, and Warcraft 3 and Starcaft as my cruel mistresses)
>>
>>45220707
Have you tried only Guards or you have the same difficulties with all factions?
>>
>>45220783
Basically all factions. I only used Guardsman as an example

>>45220760
>DOW1 requires you to manage and compromise several things at once
Pretty much. I am shit at that. My prefered tactic in other Strategy games was Turtling but the way that points work in DOW thats almost impossible to do.
In DOW2 I dont need to worry about anything other then the dudes I bring with me and the smaller scale actually helps a lot in managing my guys.
And like I said the Vicious countering is really fun'
Anti Tank Units decimate vehicles and snipers will kick the shit out of most infantry. Flamers Shred through light infantry as well. Makes special weapons way more useful.
>>
>>45210355

YES. That's what I'm saying. Wasn't it clear from the part when I said exactly that?

>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but muh realism!
>b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but muh immersion!

I'll take better gameplay over that any day. I'd sooner play skirmishes where a) I don't have to waste time building dozens of buildings on a map where I've already practically defeated the enemy force, and b) when I'm attacked I'm not 100% guaranteed to win within three minutes because I have unit production buldings and turrets over every square millimeter of the map apart from the enemy DZ.

In Soulstorm, if you use the Forward Bases ability to buy buildings, those buildings do stay anyway.

And if your autism is still making your ass break out in painful rashes, just assume it's a load of prefab buildings intended to be temporary. Why you would be bothered specifically by this and not any of the other arbitrary RTS nonsense in the game, like say the fact that you can't ever have more than two Leman Russ tanks, is beyond me though. Stupid cunt.
>>
>>45194054
My biggest gripe with Soulstorm was how much of a corridor the campaign was, if felt like rasing the stakes by getting us to fight over multiple planets but all it really did was cripple my opinions of which direction to go.
>>
File: Crying Otome.gif (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Crying Otome.gif
3MB, 720x405px
>mfw all those fantastic mods will not be released in your lifetime, or ever
>>
>>45211566
No official word has ever been given.
>>
>>45194054
It's literally unfinished, even many details in the menu are clearly placeholders, off the top of my head that graph on the left saying "Kaurava system planet".
>>
>>45219357
I am always partial to Bernn
>>
>>45210846
I KNOW YOU, YOU FUCK.

RHACE REPORTING.
>>
>>45220858

>snipers will kick the shit out of most infantry.

They always did in 1. Squads with snipers were always strong, it's just you had to get more then one on a squad, which considering how pop cap works between the two games, it isn't terribly different between the two.
>>
>>45224922
Really? Most marine scouts took ages to kill a basic guardsman squad.
In DOW2 I can reliably kill commanders with Marine Scouts
>>
File: Winter_Assult.jpg (502KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Winter_Assult.jpg
502KB, 1680x1050px
>>45219357
>Who is the best Imperial Commander and why is it Lord General Castor?
First is best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIAMAqGNIY
>>
>>45224937
Think of it as the exact same in DOW 2 against guardsmen then, where snipers will kill one reliably but take fucking ages to kill them all.
>>
>>45225089
If Snipers cant kill Heros then whats the point of them? I hardly ever used them.
>>
>>45225126
Attrition, more than anything. Two squads of micro-managed scout squads will wreck peoples day. I used to run 4 squads of 2 snipers and 2 shotguns while a buddy ran AV and vehicles. Mix that with a techmarine relay and you've got a great setup in 2v2's
>>
>>45224998
Either that commander is the distant relative of an Ogryn or those are the Manlet Marines the Emperors shortest
>>
>>45225429
the first dawn of war didn't give a fuck about proper scale
>>
>>45225478
I know, but still I wonder if out in some fringe sector Manlet Marines exist who haven't learned the actual scale of the Astartes and think themselves to be the ideal space marines.
>>
>>45225535
they're called the sisters of battle

manlets don't count as "men under arms"
>>
>>45225189
I dont have anyone to play with really. The only other person hates the game and just got the Last Stand mode
>>
>>45226038
They do, as conscripts or ratlings. None under Astartes, though.
>>
>>45225535
>>45226410
Arent Alpha Legion fairly short for a Space Marine? So they can blend in as Human?
>>
>>45219357
I love Castor, he's such a fucking smartass
>>
>>45227275
>smartass
bah nonsense. He is an Officer and a Gentleman.
>>
TO ME MY BROTHERS!
>>
>>45216253
That's a pretty fucking strong rope.
>>
DoW2 had shitty Reddit memes and failed to make its cast of characters interesting beyond a few simple traits, as well as tarnishing characters carried over from the previous game.
>>
>>45227711
>Reddit memes
I hate this.
>>
>>45227992

The meme of blaming shitty ideas on Reddit, even when it makes no sense?

I agree.

Reddits have enough breadth that you shouldn't demonize the whole thing.
>>
This reminds me, is Love Can Bloom really that good? I need quality writefaggotry to compare mine to so I can get gud.
>>
>>45228027
Fuck you Destroyer.
>>
>>45214909
Link? I know the codex mod has a mechanicus sub faction, but it doesn't really add anything new.

There's only two Mechanicus mods on Mod DB that I know of, and neither of those are done yet.
>>
>>45227711
DoW 2 and Chaos Rising were fine in their own janky way.

Retribution failed firstly because it tried to ape dark crusade poorly, secondly because you weren't playing as fucking Gabe in the conclusion of the first fucking game's story.
>>
>>45224998
My nigga. Castor was too fancy for my taste.
>>
File: 1337938900902.png (11KB, 330x173px) Image search: [Google]
1337938900902.png
11KB, 330x173px
>>45228077
Winter Assault's Imperials were fucking perfect.

>mfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afLCfgMI74
>>
>>45224998
Well, technically the first IG Commander in DoW was Colonel Brom who eventually fell to Chaos and led a rather large group of Guardsmen against the Blood Ravens in that one mission
>>
>>45228182
oh shoot, I forgot about him

Brom a shit
DoW1 guardsmen had the best voices, though.
>>
>>45228204
>Brom
Wasn't that guy a commissar? I thought he remained loyal and showed up again on a later mission, but it's been years since I played the campaign.
>>
>>45228072
Was I the only one that found Retri a lot easier than DoW 2 or Rising? Probably because they had to simplify and shorten the campaign so that it could work for every faction.

>>45228128
Everyone forgets how badass the Cadians actually are. They face the forces of Chaos on a regular basis, and know that they're destined to die for the sake of the Imperium - and not in a Krieger sense, where they think giving their life is all that matters, but in the sense that they can't escape dying because they're born for service in the Guard, and all they can chose is if they want to die well or not - a surprisingly individual choice.

I dunno which regiment Castor came from, but even though he had sentiments that a Guardsman's life is to die, it was more in a Krieger sense - it's something to be used en masse. Despite his speech about never wasting men, he didn't exactly care about giving them a good death.
>>
>>45228182
>>45228204
>>45228240

In the game, Brom stays loyal.
In the novelization (by C.S. Groto) Brom turns to heresy.
>>
>>45228348
Goto*
Why do I always add an R to his name? Also, he was a colonel. He sort of appears in Soulstorm if the Eldar win.
>>
>>45228046
:< okay
>>
>>45228027
No. DoW canon actually went out of its way to prove it wrong, even.
>>
File: 1382876420323.jpg (136KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
1382876420323.jpg
136KB, 400x640px
>>45228348
>In the novelization (by C.S. Groto) Brom turns to heresy.

Ah, so it's non cannon then.
>>
>>45228436
Oh. What's some good fanfiction then?
>>
>>45228537
No, there are plenty of cannons in them.
>>
>>45228596
How many cannon?
>>
>>45228607

All the cannons.
>>
>>45228709

Bitches love cannons.
>>
>>45228417
I'm joking. Keep up the good fight,
>>
>>45228348
>Black Library
>CS Goto
Safe to ignore, then.
>>
>>45229608
The problem is he's written the only books on DoW. He's the one explaining what happened, and so far there's no other explanation. He's a shitty writer, but is headcanon more shitty?
>>
I wish there were formulas on how to make certain armys in the army painter. I tried recreating some by eyeballing it but they are probably wrong
>>
File: relic00678.jpg (443KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
relic00678.jpg
443KB, 1280x1024px
>>45228348
>In the game, Brom stays loyal.

Strictly speaking, he just vanishes about halfway through, though in his last appearance he's still loyal with no particular reason to think otherwise. In the mission where the Eldar are trying to bury the big Chaos marker, Brom arrives with some Imperial Guard to hold off Ork attacks while the Blood Ravens push up the mountain. After that he's never seen or mentioned again.
>>
Just bumping to reach 300
>>
>>45228547
None for DoW, I fear.
>>
>>45219730
>turtling not allowed

Why? I mean, turtles (and their relatives like terrapins and tortoises) themselves are incredibly survivable! Those 150-year-old tortoises didn't get that old by dying.
>>
>>45233744
They wouldn't survive long in the grim darkness of the far future.
>>
>>45226469
I believe so. Still big fucking humans, but more human sized.
>>
>>45195683
They were op as fuck in the original game with no patches

I used to play a lot with my buddies, we joked about how good Eldar was and we ended up doing a 3v1 vs. me, I won just spamming wraithlords.
>>
>>45226469
The actual Alpha Legionnaires are Astartes sized, because, well, they ARE Astartes. They are very good at hiding, too.
Their operatives on the ground (and the most "public" aspect of the Legion, as it were) are regular humans.
>>
>>45238027
They had a lot of incredible things. Their hero could ruin a squad's day with her psychic power. They could make Banshees, an elite and melee specialized unit, basically from the start, and they were fucking fast, fucking tough, and ,well, were melee specialist, while other races don't get anything that can counter that until tier 2 or 3 (some not even then). And then the wraithlords have ungodly durability and damage output and, unlike dreadnoughts, can get ranged options without losing melee power. Oh, and then there are warp spiders, who can jump around, have a terrifying damage against melee infantry and a grenade that can take off half a Predator's life (or a third, I'm not sure), and aren't anywhere near as glasscannony as they should be (at least not for the glass part). And then there's the seer council and the Avatar, and well, you got the idea.

Not to mention the invisible buildings.
>>
>>45240937
*warp spiders have terrifying damage against heavy infantry, not melee. Sorry, got carried away.
>>
>>45240937
Also, webway portals count towards the Annihilation condition and don't need to be built within control area, so if your enemy was feeling specially dickish he could teleport Bonesingers all around the map building those cloaked portals everywhere, forcing you to take spotter units with antibuilding units everywhere, even long after you already "won" until he ran out of resources... which will never happen if a Ranger squad survived and is capping everywhere you aren't looking.
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.