[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more rpgs include playable undead races that compose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg (103KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg
103KB, 500x682px
Why don't more rpgs include playable undead races that compose entire kingdoms like the Forsaken. It's an interesting concept beyond "humans but with pointy ears" and the aesthitic is pretty damn cool.

The closest thing I can think of are 3.5e's Necropolitans from Libris Mortis, but they were never developed into an actual culture.
>>
>>45105296
a) Because they are not a race, undead is a state of existence.
b) System concerns (no HP, or no con, to powerful, to weak, doesn't heal naturally
c) requires high magic in setting
d) requires prevalent sentient undead in setting
e) not pretty enough
f) not vampires, see above
g) may indeed be covered by vampires, depending on your demands for undead
h) game does not wish related themes
i) game does not wish for related aesthetics
>>
>>45105296
while an interesting concept, it just SCREAMS "edgelord material". admit it, 90% of undead players would be fucking emo edgelords. so we're better off without them.
>>
>>45105443
This is a terrible argument against it. You should go to bed, you have school in the morning.
>>
>>45105296
The short answer? Because it's a dumb concept.

Undead either retain their memories, in which case they'd have a strong tie back to their original countries, or they don't, in which case they don't make much sense to be playable.
>>
>>45105510
What if a whole country has died? Dominions does this with Ermor, where attempts to resurrect Jesus went wrong and damned all of Rome to eternal life, with Lemuria, where a portal to the underworld was opened, and the nation's dead came up from below and then immediately started winning all the elections due to being older and wiser than anyone (and the cold of the underworld killed off the mortals after a generation) and Therodos, where a nation pissed off the gods and got killed, but since they didn't notice they were dead they just kept on farming and dancing and doing Phoenician shit.

How are any of those not suitable to the concept?
>>
Undead are cool but the vast majority of RPG players think that undead=evil even though there's no reason for this to be the case.
>>
>>45105424
Don't forget the reproduction difficulties. Undead don't breed, so attrition is a big deal. Not easy to replace killed peasants. Which is actually a really big deal for the Forsaken.

You can't maintain a kingdom if you can't at least keep the population stable.

I mean, sure, you could go around killing others and raising them as undead, but that's painting a giant "WE ARE EVIL AND NEED SMITING" sign on your head, so enjoy all your neighbors ganging up to wipe your kingdom out.

Or, you know, all the newly raised undead defecting because they still remember what you did to them.
>>
Setting a friend and I made has a race called the nhem, who are born in cocoons of negative energy. Normally they're native to negative energy planes, but some cross over, and others are born in plague pits or battlefields. Most of those are killed by peasants or priests, but some survive, and of those who survive, some find their way to others like them, and start small, secret communities.

The original goal was to have a civilized race for the shadowfell, but we went a little past that.

They're not really evil, but they have a tendency to go mad as they age, though they're physically immortal.
>>
>>45105296
Because it's an edgy concept. A kingdom of men, women and elves slain by an Undead army are resurrected as Undead to bolster their ranks. But they break free and are now aimless and ultimately useless to the world at large. Absolutely every faction in warcraft is itching for an excuse to kill the Forsaken, but there needs to be a balance of races so they won't despite Sylvanas being a huge cuntnugget.

So tell me OP,why would you want a race like this in your game? The concept works best as a small city at best, trying to pick up their lives after some passing necromancer dicked them over, but a full race? Nah
>>
>>45105549
This wants me to see a setting with the Undead as Gypsies. They're nice enough people, but constantly rejected and feared due to the influence of a few bad apples.
>>
>>45105717
What if, instead, families brought their dead loved ones to this country to have them raised? As payment, the raised undead will have to stay and work for the country for a while, but after that, they're free to become citizens or return home to their families?
>>
>>45105296
Because their kingdom would smell horrible
>>
>>45105510
undead instinctively hate the living.
>>
>>45112985
According to...
>>
>>45113100
The Church. You aren't calling God a liar, are you?
>>
>>45105443
I always pictured a society of rotting undead as a group of British cockneys who are always doing dumb or amusing shit. Though I can see the edgelord potential in an undead race.
>>
>>45105296
Because the Forsaken are terrible and there's no purpose of a being that doesn't fill a specific niche, which for undead tends to be the "desecration of the natural order of life" niche. And for what reason would most settings have nice undead running around? What would the aforementioned niche be taken by, and how long before you want them to be generic PC races too?
>>
Fallen London. Technically not undead, but the universe doesn't agree with the lifespan Neathers get. Plus Tomb Colonists. Not delving into spoilers.
>>
>>45113213
Like imagine the look on the PCs faces when they roll up to a town expecting some hot wenches in a fancy tavern, only to be greeted by a small group of zombie like prostitutes; the leading lady shambling up to them and saying in the most gritty female British accent "Ello bois, care for a shaggin from m'lasses?" as a song and dance routine from a gang of sewer skeletons chimes in "We'll waggle our bones and take yur thrones, as we're sing an' dance an' holler an' prance..."
>>
>>45113306
That post-PoSI grind slog, though.
>>
>>45113158
Oh I am sooooo calling God a liar, and just to be clear, I'm not the Anon you replied too.
>>
>>45113306
>spoilers
You get tomb colonists going as like the first mission available in Sunless Sea.
>>
>>45113449
Is Sunless Sea good? I dropped Fallen London after a couple of weeks of becoming a Person of Some Importance and doing nothing but clicking the same five buttons over and over, and Sunless Sea wasn't out at the time.
>>
>>45113542
It's free right now, so try it. It has the flavor of Fallen London and the events use basically the same mechanics but the format is way different. You can live a fair few lives before it gets repetitive.
>>
>>45113612
Sweet, definitely will. Always liked the way it treated death as well, with the Tomb Colonists and Drownies and all that.
>>
>>45113542
It's certainly not as bad as Fallen London when it comes to grind. Dying and restarting involves repeating most storylines, and it is a fairly slow paced game all around, but it absolutely beats out the FL grind while keeping the atmosphere and quality of writing.
>>
>>45113687
>Dying and restarting involves repeating most storylines
A lot of them do have some variation in them though.
>>
>>45113213
i'm making a homebrew setting and there's going to be a group of undead skeletons exactly like this
>>
File: 1424721039531.jpg (281KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1424721039531.jpg
281KB, 800x450px
>>45110439
How pleasant.
>>
>>45113697
Fair point. Plus, it's better than Fallen London where you can only play some storylines once per account unless you drop cash to redo them.
>>
>>45105296
Pathfinder has a nation called 'Geb' which is basically this. Even has three castes; the quick, undead aristocrats of various types, the living, who have protected rights, and chattel, mindless human cattle. Mildly amusing with the country having mass inefficiency problems as all the undead think because they're undead they deserve to never work a day in their lives.
>>
>>45113697
>>45113873
Does it have special areas and storylines on certain holidays?
>>
>>45113958
Pretty sure it doesn't.
>>
>>45113958
There was just a Christmas event, I know that. >>45113449
Yeah, but Sunless Sea doesn't give you the backstory of the Tomb Colonists up front. I can get into it if you want, but my connection is essentially nonexistent.
>>
Shit, now I want to play a Fallen London game. What system would be the best? Unknown Armies?
>>
>>45113874
Fucking retcons, I remind back then Geb had a working class made entirely of mindless undead, so the living basically work as white collars and the quick pretty much are economist and scholars.
>>
>>45114495
Maybe Call of Cthulhu, or another system related to the mythos? I suppose it depends on what exactly you'd be going for in the campaign (investigative Watchful challenges vs going out and hunting zee-monsters or what have you), but I feel like you could make it work with that.
>>
>>45105296
It belongs more as a mythical or very much real land of the dead, not a playable race.
>>
>>45114495
My friends actually ran one recently in Fate. Went very well for them. I wasn't into FL/SS at the time, though, so I didn't play.
>>
Eberron has the deathless, who are a different kind of undead. They're not really playable though.

Exalted has both the Abyssal Exalted, and the cities (like Thorns) that are in Shadowland and has a large undead population.
>>
>>45108336
>a few
>>
>>45114520
It still kind of does, they have a magnificent mindless military who are constantly rented out to the undead lords to work the fields and so on.
Basically you have a mindless working class that we hear nothing about as they're mindless and thus boring.
And a cocaine fueled decadent overlord class of vampires, sexy ghouls and the slut-queen.
>>
>>45113814
I mean, let's be real here, if the undead are able to communicate with the living in a way that doesn't result in them getting brutally killed, I think that would mean they at least don't look completely hideous.
>>
>>45105510
>Dumb concept

Opinion.
Forsaken are one of the more interesting races in the Warcraft universe. I loved playing them in WoW. I piloted a Forsaken Warlock through the original game and the first expansion.

21/40 Shadow Bolt spam is still the best nuke build Ive ever played in a game.
>>
>>45118390
Yeah, Forsaken are arguably one of the only really interesting and new ideas in the entire setting, though like all of Azeroth, it's gotten repeatedly shit upon by modern WoW. But the core idea is still pretty dope.

Lightslayers were here. Fuck yo churches.
>>
>>45118390
>calls someone out for stating an opinion
>states an opinion as counter
>>
>>45118390
>Forsaken are one of the more interesting races in the Warcraft universe.
>in the Warcraft universe
Can't we have higher standards than that?
>>
>>45118495
Eh, Azeroth was originally actually pretty great, it's just suffered greatly at casualization and the whoring out of Blizzard. I mean, fuck, even as retarded as Thrall and the noble savage orcs have become, when Warcraft 3 dropped, the idea was pretty dope. Not forgotten shit like the quilboar, the Forsaken, ever-devolved goblins, etc.

Don't judge the universe solely on Cata-era WoW and onwards. Or the writing of Knaak and Golden.
>>
>>45118568
Originally, the factions were literally Orcs and Humans. The occasional good ideas that bubbled up have been minor notions, not fully explored and soon abandoned. None of the shit you mention really fits that description, though.
>>
>>45118908
Right, sorry I had an incorrect opinion. I'll report to a Re-Education Facility tomorrow, I swear. Silly me for liking something you don't like!
>>
>>45119051
Well, just don't do it again.
>>
>>45119051
To be fair, you did imply that the noble savage thing was novel when Thrall first dropped.
>>
>>45118568
>>45119142
To be honest, even WoW itself flip-flops with the idea of noble orcs. Even now, a lot of the orcs are either just noble or savage. But I tend to focus on Alliance-side because I RP there.
>>
>>45118454
Except I didnt try to pass my opinion off as anything but an opinion.
>>
>>45118495
Someone never played Warcraft 3.
>>
>>45119051
You started your post off with

"The short answer? Because its a dumb concept."

Thats doesnt sound like an opinion. But you're gonna be an argumentative faggot, so go ahead and fuck off.
>>
>>45121730
Someone played it early in life and remembers it only with rose-tinted goggles.
>>
>>45105478
Tomorrow's Sunday. If you're going to insult him for using poorly conceived terms at least do so in an intelligent manner.

He obviously has church in the morning, followed by Sunday school.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.