[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wh40k fluff theory: Eldar blood is acid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160129_155501.jpg (188KB, 720x1145px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_155501.jpg
188KB, 720x1145px
The fluff states that the Eldar DNA is made of 3 elixes instead of the regular human 2 elixes DNA. You may think that triple elix DNA is pseudoscience bullshit (like: "hurr durr, let's give the Eldars an other DNA elix, moar is better") but it actually exists and it's called DNA triplex and it is formed with non conventional DNA base pairing. It is thought to have a role in genomic regulation and some reserches are thinking to use it in genetic engineering. This particular DNA structure isn't as stable as the 2 elixes at physiologic pH (~7) but it is more stable at lower (more acid) levels of pH, suggesting that Eldar blood might be acid, or at least more acid then human blood. What do you think about this, /tg/?
>>
>>45087545

Well it's apparently less acid then marine spit so you're not going to weaponize it.
>>
>>45087561
I wasn't thinking about weaponizing it, I just stumbled across real life DNA triple/tetraplex and I thought about wh40k and Xenology. My best conclusion it's that it could not be as acid as metal melting acid, but it could mean that Eldar blood might taste as vinegar or lemon
>>
>>45087620

You know who'd know that for certain?

Kroots, Tyranids, and Slaneeshi cultist/Emperor's children
>>
>>45087720
Then lets go find one of those groups and ask.

Well obvisuly not the nids of course
>>
>>45087720
Maybe in a future Kroot codex there will be a page dedicated to the taste of all the races blood/flesh
>>
>>45087545
Actually the fluff says they have a quintuple helix.
>>
>>45087545
>using science in 40K
Space marines eat brains to absorb memories. It's not even a psychic scan thing, they actually have to chew, swallow and digest before any information is gained.
The short answer to everything is "the Emperor wills it", and the long answer is "the Emperor wills it" followed by a bullet to your head.
>>
>>45087545
In fluff, the Orks also have a triple DNA structure. So their blood would also be acidic as would the Nids. I guess that's where the bugs get the acid blood thing.
>>
>>45087545
>This particular DNA structure isn't as stable as the 2 elixes at physiologic pH (~7)
Doesn't triple-helix DNA require a specific stabilising agent to keep the axis from exploding?
>>
>>45087545
I like how you consistently typo helix.
>>
>>45087890
Yes, science and wh40k usually don't go well together, but Xenology was kind of science-based and I liked the way they described alien anatomy

>>45087908
Maybe they taste like vinegar veggy mushroom soup?
>>
>>45087962

Speaking of which, what would tyranids taste like in general assuming you can drag away the body before it's recombinated back into bio sludge
>>
>>45087910
This non conventional base pairing is called Hoogsteen pairing and it's favourited by the presence of protonated nucleotide residues that are more stable and frequent in acid environment
>>
>>45088025
I've never eaten bugs, but in some countries they eat stuff like fried grasshoppers, I guess they would taste like a acid mixture of that and chicken.
Everything tastes like chicken
>>
>>45088025
I imagine they would taste something like crab meat, but tougher and less watery.
>>
>>45088025
I imagine you'd have to be very careful, as knowing the tyranid hive mind, it'd probably make tyranids inedible just to piss off anyone who tried to use them for resources.

Only tyranids are allowed to eat tyranids!
>>
>>45088082
>>45088088

>Be Imperial citizen
>Planet is attacked by tyranids
>Survived and drove them off by planet is half past fucked
>See all these alien corpses just laying there...
>"Anon this is some good shit, where did you get all of this meat?"
>"If you keep asking I'll stab you with this spoon, just appreciate the fact we have food now."
>>
>>45087545
I think it is an interest attempt at foreign physiology, but there are reasons life centered itself about buffers and water levels of pH.
>>
>>45088143
If tyranids meat is actually good it could be a good propaganda to get more soldier to fight them better.
>Hey, you! Imperial Guard, are you tired to eat the same shit every day? Then fight those fucking xeno scum and you are going to eat like a king!
>>
>>45087773
>implying anything fun like that would ever be released
I wouldn't be surprised if kroot got squatted within the next 5 years.
>>
>>45088657
I hope not! Kroots really are an interesting race, they bring diversity in a galaxy filled with power armors, space elves and space orcs
>>
>>45087545
>Eldar DNA is tripled helix as per image
>Image shows 4 helices
Counting is an important life skill

Regardless, the quad helix DNA doesn't even make any sense. Its basically two different chromosomes looped together to look cool.
The whole purpose of the double helix is to allow copying, you split it down the middle and then attach the missing matched parts on each side. If you add additional helixes they do not serve any purpose whatsoever and they do not actually improve things in any way at all... except for unnecessarily complicating things and making it more difficult to physically fit shit around it.

Also, triple helix doesn't make any sense because they can no longer be matched. A-T G-C are the matched pair
So
A-T
T-A
G-C
C-G

If you make it triple... then what are you putting on the third strand? it will either be a copy of G or a copy of C. but then you are not matched at all.

Of course you could have a completely different set of letters... but then it isn't DNA
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-29-17-52-20.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-29-17-52-20.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>45088779
>four helixes
The fuck you're right, I really thought to be sure about the number 3... That's a big mistake

However an eventual third strand has some purpose: genomic regulation, activating and deactivating some portion of DNA during transcription

Btw I re-read the Xenology page about Eldar DNA and the helixes are 5...
>>
>>45088523
Well Ambull which is an insect like beast is a delicacy in the IoM. So eating nids if they aren't toxic wouldn't be that unusual for people in wh40K. I'm guessing many of them have actually eaten weirder shit.
>>
>>45090667
>In the grim darkness of the far future there is only cuisine
>>
>>45088779
It's not DNA. That's the point. It's whatever better building block the Old Ones used when they created the Eldar and the Orks. It may have some similarity to DNA, but that doesn't mean it is.
>>
>>45087545
>3 Helixes
>>45088779
>4 Helixes
>>45088967
>5 Helixes

By the Emperor they're multiplying!
>>
>>45090718
>>45090667

I think it was in 15 Hours where they are sitting around and the short guy (can't remember his name) talks about when he was fighting along side some Catachans who'd caught and kid a dino to eat and told him to fuck off because they weren't sharing so he called in an artillary strike and bagged one that was killed in it.

Then of course there was another story in the Omnibus about catachans on a death world and how they immediately start identifying what they can and can't eat.
>>
>>45087545
I think then it's not just Eldar blood that would have to be acidic but the entire Eldar themselves. Us humans are set to be around neutral pH with some pouches of acid here and there (like the bladder and the stomach). A DNA is coiled in the nucleus, and said nucleus works into a cell. Since they have DNA, it is safe to assume that Eldar are a cell-based lifeform. Now the problem is that the lipid membranes that form our cells also depend very strongly on that equilibrium for transmitting electrical impulses. Those electrical impulses are nothing more than ions (kations, anions) transiting across channels. Muscle contractions, thought, all of those things depend on the fragile acidic equilibrium of our bodies. So Eldar are more acidic as a whole, or they have very unstable DNA.

The other option, of course, is not to make Eldar acidic but to leave them with their unstable DNA. However, they'd have a much better, safeproof way of replicating than our wonky system. Or, looking to their longevity, their cells last a lot longer and don't need to replicate as often as ours, lowering the need to replicate the DNA, and thus it can stay all coiled and protected. Having a problem uncoiling, replicating DNA and creating new cells could be used to explain the low Eldar fertility rate (producing less gametes).

TL;DR version: either the entire Eldar is slightly more acidic, not just the blood, or the cells don't replicate as often.
>>
>>45090767
It is called "Eldar DNA" and the analysis have been made by a magos biologus, so it is definitely a Deoxyribonucleic acid, this means that the backbone of the molecule is the same of our DNA, the deoxyribose sugar linked to phosphate groups and nitrogen ring bases. In Xenology it is stated that the strands of the helix are 5 instead of 2 and the nitrogen bases are 20 instead of 4 (A T G C)
>>
>>45088967
I just want to point out that creatures with incredibly similar DNA are incapable of interbreeding here on earth. But half-eldar are canon in 40k.

Don't think about it too hard.
>>
>>45090837
Yes, by stating that Eldar blood might be more acid than the physiologic 7.6 pH I meant also that the eldar cellular environment might be more acid
>>
>>45088967
I have several problems:
quintuple DNA, but which strands carries the actual information? In human is it double DNA but only one direction gets translated into mRNA and into protein. So either 3/5 or 2/5, but probably 3/5 or else you'd have a redundancy.

Secondly, 20 bases, assuming they are grouped by three, gives a MASSIVE number of codons, so either Eldar physiology also works with a much bigger number of amino-acids to construct protein, or there is a lot of redundancy. Assuming the first, the Eldar would need to eat very different things than we do, however what humans and Eldar eat seems to be sort of similar (they can survive on the same planet before Vulkan crisped them all, meaning that biotope works for both.)
Obviously, being superior everything, you could simply say they synthetise all their amino acids from others.

Regardless, if we still go with the "built with massively different proteins", I really do wonder what Eldar would taste like.
>>
>>45088779

Well since it actually exist irl you're argument is invalid, but do let me say that the OP arguments is also invalid cause hell if the freaking people at GW give a damn about anything it's freaking FICTIONAL don't look for hiding meaning where there is none.

You OP look like the freaking Language teachers, what was the author trying to say with this, well guess what most of them what's fucking writing not some hiding agenda with a gazilion layers.
>>
>>45090955
Half Eldar are canon? Never heard about it. I believe that one of the reasons of the over numbered helix was to make eldars and (for example) humans not able to make hybrids

>>45090974

As long I believed the strands were 3 it kind of made sense, but with 5 it's harder
About the bases it's definetely fluff bullshit (moar is bester) if they didn't mean to talk about something like our less frequent bases or the methilated bases, in that case it makes sense in a epigenetic way
>>
>>45091134
Half Eldar are kind of retconned/forgotten canon.

As far as we know, nobody except maybe some crazy commoraghan maybe tried to make eldar/human hybrids for shits and giggles.
>>
>>45091029
Kek, I wasn't looking for hidden meanings, it's just a flavour fluff thing
It's thinking that a thing in the 40k universe might be made in that way, and that the fluff writers (very probably unintentionally) wrote something that scientifically speaking might hace sense
>>
>>45091166
Retconned to make the 40k less fantasy looking (half-elves)? Just as (if I recall correctly) in the past there were female ork and the ork race reproducted sexually and then they made them fungi-plant-algae-mammal mix in order to give them a more sci-fi fluff
>>
>>45091279
Yup, like that.
>>
File: 14563415645.jpg (19KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
14563415645.jpg
19KB, 178x178px
Xenology is full of bullshit. Nothing found therein should be taken as surprise nor fact.
>>
Is it heretical to eat the xenos?
>>
>>45091451
That, Anon, is a good question
>>
>>45091371
You realize you just described the entirety of WH40k, right?
>>
>>45091451
The emperor has provided you with good quarry, it would be heretical not to eat it, right?
>>
>>45091549
Yes but Xenology is considered an unreliable source within the setting that already is filled with unreliable sources. Its like, super unreliable. Its the cheap printed tabloid rag your aunt keeps buying at the check out line tier of reliability.
>>
>>45091371
>>45091742
Still it was a good reading imho
Inb4 I study biology and the idea of dissecting an alien life form almost gives me a boner
>>
File: ff6c634c71[1].jpg (97KB, 356x559px) Image search: [Google]
ff6c634c71[1].jpg
97KB, 356x559px
>>45087545
>look at picture
>it's actually a quadruple helix
God damn, get it right GeeDubs
>>
>>45093366
Ya can't see the fifth strand 'cause ya ain't no psyker
>>
>>45091451
By eating the meat you break it down and absorb it.

It becomes apart of you.

You are part of the imperium.

You have absorbed xenos into the imperium

You are now Tau.
>>
>>45091451
Well we have this guy:

>>45090974
> I really do wonder what Eldar would taste like.
who seems not to care and do it for science.
>>
>>45094626
Damn cogboys.
>>
Of all the boards of 4chan, /tg/ is really the true one god(emperor)-tier board
>>
>>45093366
That DNA doesn't connect...

>Elder are actually two different species connected on the cellular level

>The reason their species can't breed anymore is because they've become immune to whatever it is that fuses the DNA together for breeding.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.