[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 34

File: mondays.png (2MB, 1020x628px) Image search: [Google]
mondays.png
2MB, 1020x628px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>For Anons
UA for this month: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/kits-old
quarterstaff doesn't have reach
Thanks to whoever is updating the mega by the way

In this thread we talk about who is the best villain? Whats the best end game monster?
>>
>>45078463
>Whats the best end game monster?
Real life and scheduling.
>>
>>45078542
Fuck man, my group hasn't met in almost 3 months now, and it is literally one person who does not live with me that is flaking. Feels bad man.
>>
>>45078463

>End game monsters
>5e

I hope you like Undead or Dragons Anon.
>>
Fourth for Variant Human is balanced and a feat is usually slightly weaker than the average racial bonus set.
>>
Rakshasas are obviously the best villain. Shapechangers who live for profane pleasure and slaughter. They're slaaneshi demon lords with tiger heads, and they're motherfucking charming.
>>
>>45078594
Yeah, my GMs been struggling with this. He's running a 15th level game, and he can find stuff to use, but coming up with minions for them can be challenging. He really wants a Beholder BBEG, but can't think what to use as his servants.
>>
File: Knight01.png (388KB, 400x665px) Image search: [Google]
Knight01.png
388KB, 400x665px
>>45077285
Add something like this: An order of all-male knight-errants have also recently formed, seeking to prove their courtly love of the goddess through heroic deeds and knightly duels.

Finally, my half elf knight shall bag a goddess!!
>>
File: MM_MonstersCR.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
MM_MonstersCR.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>45078671
>>45078594
Theres like maybe 10 monsters level 15+ that aren't undead or dragons

But yeah slim pickings if you aren't making high level NPC bad guys
>>
I'll repost this from last thread because I'm a POS

Looking for a good Artificer-ish homebrew because the UA Artificer is shit. Any suggestions or favorites?
>>
http://blog.roll20.net/post/138220318980/update-128-srd5-mega-update-new-sheet-new

Roll20 has added in-house support for 5e now that the SRD is out. All the content of the SRD is in there, including monster stats and spells, and a simplified character sheet modeled after the official one.

It's a no-brainer that they did this since 5e is their biggest game (and continues to grow), but man this should make running 5e on there even easier..
>>
How do you motivate players to follow your plot hooks if they're new?

Like the players don't know yet that they should follow the breadcrumbs the DM leaves. Is it ok to railroad them a little or should you just have a lot of contingency plans? Or should it be discussed outside the game?
>>
>>45078830
Thank Christ
>>
>>45078671

A Guardian Naga and two Earth Elementals

Mindflayers

A pair of tyrannosaurs named Wilfred and Norma.

With giant apes riding them.
>>
>these threads
Are all of you guys on your period, or is this just a difficult time or something?
Holy shit, you don't even talk about the game, just snip at each other.
What a garbage fucking community.
>>
>>45078725

If you don't wanna use Undead, dragons or Fiends as your end-game threats then you have basically no option left but to brew your own monsters.
>>
File: fs2046.gif (646KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
fs2046.gif
646KB, 250x188px
>>45078946
Fun bait
>>
>>45078946

What the fuck are you on about?

Is there even a single post in this thread yet that isn't discussion of the game?
>>
>>45078861
You should discuss outside the game what kind of thing you want to run. If you all want to sandbox and you are amazing at improvising, go nuts with that. If you are running a module because you don't have much time? Tell the players to take the hint or start DMing.
>>
File: HalflingPilgrimSketch01.png (2MB, 2787x4724px) Image search: [Google]
HalflingPilgrimSketch01.png
2MB, 2787x4724px
>>45078946
Yea I noticed that. I've found it keeps you honest. Most of the time if you post a good idea or a decent homebrew, it gets discussed, but if you post shit, you get destroyed, and rightfully so. People who come into the thread without reading the books are gonna get ruined however. Look at this QT halfling.
>>
>>45078957
There are the Elemental Princes from PotA and Tiamat from ToD.

Or the Tarrasque, but it's lacking in the fun options, and clever players can beat it down.
>>
File: 1379740439530.jpg (41KB, 300x431px) Image search: [Google]
1379740439530.jpg
41KB, 300x431px
Reminder that monk is a better fighter, while also being a better rogue at the same time
>>
>>45079042

>the Tarrasque

I don't think I could bring myself to use it outside of a joke game.
>>
>>45079050
Rogues in my experience are more interesting and fun than monks. There seems to be a few monk fanboys in the thread, I don't mind that, but monks aren't good. I think this is widely accepted? Maybe you should get your head out of your butt??
>>
>>45078463
I really like using Mindflayers cults invoking daemon shit into our world
>>
>>45079050
>>45079089
pls no one engage unless new evidence is brought to light about specifically why monks are or arent worse than anything

i even would dare say this is some same fagging to start off this thread downhill
>>
>>45079068
Honestly, give it a ranged attack and it's fixed. Its stats are high enough to keep it threatening.

Has anyone actually fought it?
>>
>>45079101
>>45078659
these two are great

I've never fought rakashas but I've wanted to after reading people (mostly on tg) talk about them.

Mindflayers are horrifying and awesome
>>
>>45079125
>Honestly, give it a ranged attack and it's fixed. Its stats are high enough to keep it threatening.
I'm getting flashbacks of "20/60 range 1d4 damage boulders."
>>
Monks are weeb trash and reminder: They have sucked in every edition. Goku is not a monk, because he does not suck.
>>
>>45079135
My group is stepping into the plots of a Rakshasa. I can't wait for them to shit bricks when they realize what's up.
>>
>>45079157

Thank you for your insightful contributions to the thread
>>
>>45079178
if they live that long.........................
>>
>>45079148
60'/120' boulder, 20 damage. Boom. Fixed the Tarrasque.
>>
>>45078463
When it comes to high CR late game monsters I love using demons / devils, archmages, and dragons.

As for best villain, I personally have always liked the extremely elegant and cunning caster type, like lichs and devil lords and extremely powerful wizards. A sort of mastermind working throughout the campaign to achieve their goal by any means possible.
>>
>>45079101

>Mind Flayers
>Worshiping anything but themselves
>Put anything above themselves in the hierarchy of rulership.

Naw mang.
>>
>>45079135
>>45079246

Because I dont like to us the forgotten realms, but I didnt want to throw my player into a custom settings they dont understand, i'm using the start of my campaing inside the FR. Basically they are following the classic progression of shit is missing, find who took it, plot twist it was not the low level bandit but a mage, plot twist it was a mindflayer cultist.

Bim boum magic shit and they get throw into a world they dont know, massive mindflayer empire dominating the world and using human as slaves everywhere. Dimensional shenanigan and all..
>>
File: 1453907551896.jpg (54KB, 625x262px) Image search: [Google]
1453907551896.jpg
54KB, 625x262px
>>45079200
yw
>>
>>45079246
That's why the Mindflayers in this last storyline in Forgotten Realms were mind controlled.
>>
>yfw the villain is just a simple fighter who is so badass the lich and cthulhu both are afraid of him
>>
I have a quick question. I went tomelock in a campaign i am currently playing in and got the ritual invocation, but it is just taking up space on my character sheet doing nothing. Because of circumstances I did not take find familiar but I think I am gonna trade invocations when i level up from lvl 5 to lvl 6 and then pick up the ritual invocation again later on.

My question is which invocation can a tomelock grab at lvl 6 that is the most useful? my main considerations are the runekeeper eyes, the at will disguise self, and the at will silent image. If it helps I am playing in OotA.
>>
File: DrowFemale01Cropped.png (552KB, 573x843px) Image search: [Google]
DrowFemale01Cropped.png
552KB, 573x843px
>>45079417
>ut it is just taking up space on my character sheet doing nothing
It's an amazing invocation with a million uses. The problem is you, not the invocation. You don't know anything magic or how it works. You should just play a fighter with 8 int and no creativity required. Christ.
>>
>>45079417
Questions:
What invocations do you already have?
What spells do you have?
What is your preferred role in and out of combat?
>>
>>45078463
>In this thread we talk about who is the best villain?

Kike Mearls

> Whats the best end game monster?

the same
>>
>>45079417
Ignoring the shitcunt here >>45079491 is a good idea for everyone.
>>
>>45079157
4e.

Your move.
>>
>>45079548
He's right though.
>>
>>45079567
>4e
The biggest blunder of the franchise? They sucked then I bet, but seriously son, don't appeal to 4e in this thread. Thanks.
>>
>>45078830
>sir bearington
>wizard

wtf is that video? just a still image of a char sheet to horrible music.
>>
>>45079601
Your shit's broken. It goes over the different features of the new 5e SRD integration stuff, how to access the compendium and use the character sheet.
>>
>>45079491
qt3.14 drow
she looks like trouble
>>
>>45079599
So, I can take that as an admission that you have no idea what you are talking about?

Good.
>>
>>45079688
You can take it as a dick for all I care. 4e sucked. Monks were psionic in that edition, and weren't even a core PHB class. Lmao they didn't even put them in until the 2 or 3 PHB.
>>
>>45079678
Shame that you aren't fully versed in the history and mannerisms of Halisstra Melarn, my drowfu
>>
What are some cool ideas for elementals? Just run of the mill elementals are boring as fuck.
>>
>>45079417
Those are all perfectly good invocations. You might also want to look at one of the ones that improve Eldritch Blast. Really, pick whatever you think will be more fun to play.
>>
File: image.jpg (419KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
419KB, 1200x1200px
HotDQ/RoT
PotA
OotA

Which one is best, /5eg/
>>
>>45079726
Keep calm. Show me on the dolly where the bad RPG touched you.
>>
Also a quick google seems to suggest that monks sucked in 4e. Jade Empire sucked. The Guild Wars asian expansion sucked more than the others and sold less. Mists of Pandaria was a very poorly-recieved wow expansion. China is full of smog. Kung-fu movies are laughably bad. Why do you love such a pathetic trop, anon?
>>
>>45079509
Currently I have the agonizing blast and devil eyes invocation (It's hard being human in the underdark) and the ritual book invocation.

I have hex, the fiend patron spells, hold person, fly, shatter, and armor of agathys. Also i have the minor illusion, prestidigitation, guidance, sacred flame, shocking grasp, and eldrich blast cantrips.

In combat i am a back line blaster type. My first turn is usually hex and eldrich blast followed by (depending on who we are fighting and such) scorching ray, because more attack rolls means more chances to proc hex. Out of combat i am good at social checks and such but i tend to sorta hang back because our druid is the type of player who tends to soak up the spotlight a bit more, which I don't mind at all.

>>45079491
I know it is, but between an impatient party and already having a druid and wizard and cleric I realized it was not worth me picking up because any ritual I can cast they can too.

Also I love my 10 int goliath battlemaster fighter don't tell me to play him as if its a bad thing. He, along with all classes in 5e, can be very creative.
>>
>>45079828
>impatient
get a familiar and a demon horse with find steed
>>
>>45079857
I plan on repicking it up later to get the familiar though I may not because I actually got a flumph companion with at will invisibility awhile ago, though outside of scouting they aren't too useful because they refuse to enter combat. the steed will require me to find a scroll or pray the arrogant drow wizard shares his scrapped together spellbook with the slightly mad warlock.
>>
>>45079828
>I know it is, but between an impatient party and already having a druid and wizard and cleric I realized it was not worth me picking up because any ritual I can cast they can too.
>Also I love my 10 int goliath battlemaster fighter don't tell me to play him as if its a bad thing. He, along with all classes in 5e, can be very creative.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0sKqDS67vl7
>>
>>45079985

Why
>>
>>45079985
Oh your back. Glad to see your doing ok after your last drunken stupor. How's the whole gay wizard whatnot going?
>>
>>45080041
>Oh your back. Glad to see your doing ok after your last drunken stupor. How's the whole gay wizard whatnot going?
Oh thank you for asking, it's going fine. I like that character.
>>
Homebrew Rap
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1pRx0niWmXG
>>
So I really want to make the Nine Hells, like hell. I want parties to encounter swarms of lemures, should I stat them like swarms or just have the lemure statblock handy and just have as many as I like?
>>
>>45080161
Who gives a shit, just do it. Stop thinking about it and do it. Don't stat swarms as one thing.
>>
So I've been curious about something, /tg/.

When it comes to finding and retaining players, where do you draw the line between a) being picky in order to have a group that gets along/fits a style of game you enjoy running and b) being a control freak 'That Guy' DM?

Secondary question, if you have a player that isn't an active problem yet still doesn't seem like they fit, how do you go about uninviting them? How would you handle this if they know some of the other players outside of the game or are in your circle of friends/acquaintances?
>>
>>45080182
If give a shit, if no one gave a shit the question wouldn't be asked.

As for stating swarms as one thing, there's already precedence doing so in the MM.
>>
Anyone have a link to Fifth Edition Foes?
>>
>>45079786
HotDQ is the worst.

Haven't played the other two but I know they are fathoms better than the irredeemable pile of shit that is HotDQ
>>
>>45080223
>If give a shit, if no one gave
Learn how to type you baboon ass nigger

And yea you can stat a swarm, I am saying not to, it's too video gamey. Just have a named Lemure named Tosser or something show up with his monkey buddies and fucking fight you. Don't stat swarms and shit, that's stupid.
>>
>>45079786
PotA, but that's because I got to play a fuck awesome character (got to carry it over from the starter set where he was a badass there too)
>>
>>45080296
>Learn how to type you baboon ass nigger
Learn how to respond without spewing piss and vinegar out of your mouth.

I was considering the swarm because atleast that gives exp if you mow them down. Lemures as it are so fucking pathetic they don't even give exp if you kill them.
>>
>>45080161

Make them a swarm.

Killing a billion individual Lemures will go one of two ways, either the party caster has a big AOE spell that can affect them, in which case the encounter is a joke, or they don't and the encounter is a half-an-hour long slog.
>>
>>45080161
Lemures are so weak that I would make dealing with a swarm of them a non-combat encounter, or maybe have them sort of take up space as an area hazard while some imps show up and start stabbing at the party.
>>
File: BearClaw.png (95KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
BearClaw.png
95KB, 400x400px
design a magic item around pic related
>>
>>45080382
What do you expect, they are just tiny monkeys.
>>
>>45080370
>spewing piss and vinegar out of your mouth
that's not a thing people say
>>
>>45080392
+1 random disease. You become infected daily by a random disease.
>>
>>45080382
I'm considering having parts of the backdrop made of lemures. Walking on a road of writhing lemures.
>>
>>45080411
Is this going anywhere anymore?
>>
>>45080392
"Equipping this claw on your hand grants you the strength of a giant bear (24 Str) but also curses you with an insatiable desire for honey. Each day, you must consume 1d4+2 gallons of honey or suffer 5 levels of exhaustion. Once put on your hand, you cannot remove the bear claw for 1 month."
>>
>>45079828
Yeah, the three invocations you mentioned before are fine. Armor of Shadows or Repelling Blast are also good ideas, but at-will first level spells are always fun, especially ridiculous ones like Disguise Self and Silent Image. Have a ball.
>>
>>45080442
He's right though. No one says that. It's like saying "cakehorn"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7IXfEXUy4E
>>
>>45080505
Google says otherwise.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=piss+and+vinegar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=l86qVrmxLMvemAGnta6gDQ
>>
>>45080539
Oh they say piss and vinegar. Of course. But they dont say what you said. Which was "spewing piss and vinegar out of your mouth". You fucked up. People say "spewing shit" or "full of piss and vinegar" but not "spewing piss and vinegar out of your mouth"
>>
>>45080576
I'm being a trendsetter, combining two entirely unrelated insults into combinsults.
>>
>>45080603
No you are just stupid.
>>
>>45080617
And this has nothing to do with D&D.
>>
>>45080603
"full of piss and vinegar" isn't an insult
>>
File: cat.jpg (397KB, 699x491px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
397KB, 699x491px
>>45080603
>I'm being a trendsetter, combining two entirely unrelated insults into combinsults.
>>
>>45080628
>we are discussing bardic insults!
>>
>>45080631
I may just begin to do this regularly just in the hope that some pedantic fuck points it out again, just so I can get my rocks off.

Please, tell me i'm a fucking idiot nigger that doesn't know anything. I'm almost erect.

Use that bardic magic you fuck.
>>
>>45080686
>I may just begin to do this regularly just in the hope that some pedantic fuck points it out again, just so I can get my rocks off.
So you were just being stupid on purpose so you could laugh at non-stupid people who call you out? Just kidding I was only pretending to be retarded. I'm the puppet master. Rolling with the punches. Lmao jokes on you.
>>
>>45080686
Holy shit this meltdown.
>>
>>45080716
No, the plan is I get increasing more disgusting and vulgar until the topic drops, since this really has nothing to do with anything relevant to the thread anymore.
>>
>>45080754
Work that fucking magic, tell me i'm a dirty little goblin.
>>
>>45080804
Stop spewing douche bags out of your condom hole.
>>
>>45080496
thanks for the imput. I will eventually get repelling blast but I want to get some utility for out of combat first.

As for at will mage armor, I love it but I used variant human to pick up moderately armored so I'm set on ac.
>>
File: 1413734230995.jpg (71KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1413734230995.jpg
71KB, 800x804px
>>45080850
>>
>>45080882
lmao what a terrible build. you used your free feat you gain medium armor. lmao
>>
>>45080903
Eh its worked out pretty well. Kept me alive in some tight pinches. I know there are some better feats but it is still a solid choice.

So out of curiosity what would you have picked?
>>
Piss and Vinegar rap
http://vocaroo.com/i/s18Orb2WKET5
>>
>>45080972
Not that anon, but seeing as you went Fiendlock I would have picked Elemental Adept or Magic Initiate. Maybe War Caster if I felt like getting in the thick of shit.
>>
>>45080972
>So out of curiosity what would you have picked?
If I had a devil patron, the Elemental Adept Fire.
>>
>>45078671
Levelled NPCs.
>>
>>45081075
That is an option I have considered and is definately solid, but honestly you will probably only cast 3 fire spells for day at most assuming you get a short rest, until you get to much later level.

Also, I only need to max cha since I only need 2 mod in dex with med armor, so In truth I can still grab elemental adept at lvl 12 and be fine, though I think instead I am gonna grab lucky so I can reroll when I fail a roll i need to succeed in.
>>
>>45078671
Shit tons of low CR monsters
>>
I think you are cute anon
>>
File: poor bastard.png (488KB, 341x621px) Image search: [Google]
poor bastard.png
488KB, 341x621px
Hey, guys
So the PHB, in Appendix A: Conditions, has the following artwork for "Petrified."
As you can see, the poor fucker's arm's off. Broken clean at the shoulder and everything.

My question is, assuming he were to become un-petrified, what would happen? The thing that's sticking for me here is the fact that Petrified creatures are immune to all damage. So does he just take the damage from loosing his arm after he becomes flesh again? Very curious.
>>
>>45082031

I don't. I still hate myself. Though I no longer wish I were dead.
>>
>>45082083
Petrified creatures are resistant to all damage, not immune. If he's unpetrified with the arm unattached, that arm is gone and he starts bleeding profusely.
>>
>>45082083
He wouldn't have an arm. There isn't a particular damage value connected to loss of limb.
>>
>>45082111
It is as you say, I was wrong to use the word "immune." Cheers.
>>
Time for another stupid question.

I was looking at the stats for the Giant Octopus as a possible Conjure Animals target. I really like that it has a 15 foot range on its attack, that puts it outside the reach of melee return attacks, but...once it attacks and grapples a creature, couldn't the creature simply attack the arms? I'm not really sure what the RAI or RAW here should be. At 15 feet it should be outside the range of almost all melee attacks, but the fact that it grapples on attack means that the tentacles are certainly in reach. What do you guys think?
>>
>>45082317
The RAW of it is that no, it wouldn't be able to attack it.

I'd probably let them attack the tentacles though. They are restrained and have 0 speed anyway, so they have disadvantage to hit can't go anywhere.
>>
>>45078569
cut them out. Seriously. If one person is holding you back, have the DM play them until they can chill in some city while the rest of the group has fun. Otherwise the game will die and nobody has fun. It's happened to me twice because my groups were too afraid to leave somebody out.
>>
>>45079050
monk shouldn't even be a base class.

It only exists to appease the weeaboo kiddies
>>
What do you do when your players want to sexually violate the female bbeg
>>
>>45082438
It's existed since the first-ever D&D supplement and is there because all of the "iconic" classes are there in some shape or another.
>>
>>45082438

the only classes should be fighting man and magic user
>>
>>45082469

I've got my players being thirsty as fug over an inconsequential female NPC. They've been low rolling for two sessions to recruit her, it's hilarious. Like, 30 sub-15 rolls. The spaghetti is at its peak.
>>
>>45082317
I don't think RAI or RAW would let you attack, but if you WANT it to be able to, id set it so that doing a specific amount of damage lets you break out instead of an athletics/acrobatics check, but it doesn't actually "hurt" the creature.
>>
>>45082476
Hey man, Elf is best class.
>>
>>45082469
either let them rape her or openly discuss why that sort of thing isn't allowed at the table? Really depends on your group
>>
>>45082438
Frankly, Eldritch Knight fighter with Wis based casting and an "unarmed" or "fist" fighting style could do monk pretty well. I mean, seriously, whats the point of being a punchy monk when the fighter can punch faster than you?
>>
My phandelver game just went crazy as fuck. long story incoming

>D&D 5e
>party of 3 doing adventure stuff in a Phandalin, the usual
>That guy decides playing a racist human fighter character is a good idea
>Other two players are playing gnomes
>All are first time players
>What could go wrong
>Gnome 1 is a bard and she pretty much only cares about singing and performing, etc
>Human makes unprovoked racist comments constantly, tension slowly builds
>human gets knocked out at one point, so gnomes decide to tie him up and leave him in the goblin cave since he's only ever treated them like shit
>human breaks free after waking up and decides to hunt down the gnomes
>Human eventually catches up to gnomes, convinces them he doesn't hold a grudge
>They agree to travel together, no hard feelings (players didn't want to leave That Guy out)
>They decide to leave for the big city
>Night time comes around, owlbear attacks
>They're all level 2

1/2
>>
>>45082570

>Expect players to just run away (had used every intimidating descriptor I could think of)
>Gnome 2 tries to fight, gets his shit kinda wrecked
>Gnome bard runs away, as does Human Fighter
>They both get on the Fighter's horse, ride off
>Once down the road the Fighter tosses the bard off
>Charges her while on horseback and stabs her with spear
>bard is knocked out, making death saves
>Other gnome is off hiding, trying to lose the owlbear
>Human fighter leans the gnome bard against a tree, tries to finish her off
>Bard player is almost in tears because she really only cares about playing her gnome named Elliwick
>Fighter literally can't roll above a 6 to hit an unconscious gnome to finish her off
>A carriage escorted by an armed guard come around the bend and interrupt the Fighter's plans
>Bard rolls a 20 on her death saves and wakes up, calling for help
>Fighter runs off into the forest

And now we have a new boogeyman BBEG for the players to worry about. Jesus this group
>>
Hey, does anyone have a good Sorc Origin for Undead-focused stuff? A friend of mine is trying to make a nercomancer but dislikes Wizard school and I can't find anything good homebrewed
>>
>>45082568
Monk should have been added in a supplement at some point. It really feels silly as a base class
>>
>>45082650
>>45082570
>all are first time players
>one of them goes full That Guy immediately
A human and his two gnome compadres could have been a great story. Unfortunately, some people are born as That Guy.
>>
>>45082701
It's true. Had they all been friends who were comfortable playing with one another I would have just assumed he was doing it to mess with his buddies, but he really went full That Guy right from the start. It's like I witnessed the birth of Satan
>>
File: 1453430144607.jpg (168KB, 712x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1453430144607.jpg
168KB, 712x1920px
I've had a good group going for the last few months, my first 5E group. One of our Rogues (out of two) is CN, and he has been playing it surprisingly well. He ventures into 'self-serving dick' territory quite a bit, but plays it straight and acknowledges that he's a fucking dick. It's difficult for me to explain, but he's been a good counter to my LN ass and our goody goody NG Paladin.

Anyway, these last few months the dude has gotten into smoking herb, though he's been kind enough to not do so on game nights. Our last two sessions though, the guy either came blazed or blazed during one of our food/drink/cigar breaks, and he's fucking insufferable (my dislike for stoners aside, the weed makes him an obnoxious RANDUM assbag). Most of us (apart from his roommate) are getting fucking annoyed. We tried talking to him, but he said we were being 'uptight'.

Been thinking about talking to the DM, try to kill this faggot off. Anyone here do something like this before? Trying to kill off this assbag to where we don't split the group up.
>>
>>45082469
Vagina dentata.
>>
>>45082662
There's an undead patron for Warlocks in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide that provides necromancy spells and gives you features that make you semi-undead which people seem to think is a prerequisite for necromancers for some reason.
>>
>>45079786
PotA has cool enemies, like (very minor spoilers:) guys floating with balloon backpacks, rock martial arts, steam punk pirates. So thats my vote. A little bit nebulous at times though but thats okay. Just need a DM who actually reads its through and makes decisions.

I only did a little bit of HotDQ but it seems stupid, like why in the very very beginning does your level 1 party just run towards a dragon.....?

Haven't done OotA, sounds kind of cool.
>>
>>45080489
>Turning people into honey zombies.

I approve.
>>
>>45080392
bear claw

1d4 cinnamon damage, but then next round it heals you 2d4+2 hp.
>>
>>45080903
>>45080972
i mean its not that bad for warlocks, especially if you're strength based. you get shields and better armor, so thats easily (with his 14 dex) +3 or 4 AC when he wants it.
>>
>>45083344
Currently I have scale armor with a +1 shield so I have a 19 AC atm. It's pretty rad.

However I am not str based. I am actually only gonna pump cha then grab feats with the rest of my ASIs.
>>
As a general rule, is it better for me to rush an attribute (or two attributes, for certain builds) to 20 with ability score improvements, or should I take some feats I find cool?

From a mechanical standpoint, of course.
>>
>>45083594
Depends on class, build, and preference
>>
>>45083410
Also sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>>45083594
Yeah its just highly dependent.

Mostly increasing your attacking stat, whatever that may be, is your best option. But its not your only option by any means.

You might just need to hit 18 in it for a while, then take a feat (or two or a different stat or whatever), then go back to 20.
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 268x188px
>>45080489
Where in god's name does one even get 3-6 gallons of honey to consume per day? Like..holy shit.

I want to play a bearmode druid with a sweet tooth now.
>>
>>45083674
>>45083697
What about a Paladin with 16 Str, 15 Con, and 14 Cha?
>>
>>45083709
I'd probably start increasing stats, but that's just me. Also depends on what magic gear you're getting. For example, if you have gauntlets of strength, I might drop a couple points into CHA, otherwise I might dump some stats into STR
>>
>>45083760
I think the best magic item I could get is an Amulet of Health. I really want Resilient (Con) so I can have good Con saves, but I also think that War Caster is required for a Paladin that doesn't forget it has spells.
>>
>>45083774
I'd totally forget I have spells.

Lawful Good fighter with benefits lets goooooooo
>>
>>45082650
I don't give two shits about players going 'but muh freedumb,' PC vs. PC conflict in my games is only permissible at the consent of the players involved, i.e. something that will be enjoyed by both players and therefore improve the overall game.
Fighterdouche shouldn't even get the satisfaction of having his character be an antagonist. He should just be caught, stripped of his goods, and thrown in the stocks, only showing up occasionally solely for the purpose of being a joke that everyone spits on. And then kick the player out if he doesn't own and apologize for his shitty behavior.

Glad that it turned out so karmic, but you were the one that allowed it to possibly go a lot worse by not putting your foot down the second he rolled to attack. Easy mistake to make, but I'd keep it in mind the next time a player is being That Guy.
>>
Does Bruenor Battlehammer's horn actually summon Pwent the Battlerager to fight or is it just an image?
>>
>>45084490
In story, it's just an image. They put Pwent in the horn to house his soul or some shit when he got turned into a vampire, and when he was cleansed and went to Dwarf Heaven, part of his personality remained in the horn or some shit and whenever Bruenor blows on it, an image of Pwent shows up and kills stuff.
>>
>>45082841
Yeah, definitely talk to the DM. He's being a jackass by just blowing off your complaints.
>>
>>45084517
So it does fight?
>>
>>45084528
I think. It functions like a Horn of Valhalla, iirc.
>>
>>45082469
What >>45082522 said. Make sure everyone at the table is affirmatively okay with it and the level of detail involved, otherwise nope. Bitching about it punishable by level loss.
>>
>>45084542
So it summons berserkers OR does it summon a battlerager Pwent?
>>
>>45084617
Used to summon berserkers. Now it summons a construct that looks like Pwent.

I can't remember if it fights like Pwent did or if it just looks like him because I checked out soon after Neverwinter wrapped up. It's got really fucking stupid and I couldn't deal.
>>
>>45084651
Could you double check for me? I'm thinking about statting Bruenor and I want to be accurate
>>
>>45084689
Book references it as a "Horn of Summoning", which isn't a thing I can find in 5e. However, it also says it summons Pwent and that it cries out "me King!" when he does.

I would have it summon a highly buffed Berserker from the MM and just call it Pwent.
>>
File: gygax.jpg (47KB, 354x236px) Image search: [Google]
gygax.jpg
47KB, 354x236px
>>45078594

>going by CR

Master plans don't need a high CR, just a high Int.

from the DM as well as the monster
>>
>>45083701
Giant bee hives?
>>
>>45084856
Are those hives with giant bees or giant hives with regular sized bees?
>>
Does the stuff in the trove have good bookmarking? I hate having to go to the index all the time for nearly everything.
>>
So I want to try something with the Honor mechanics in the DMG.

The setting is generally pan-pacific flavored, and the most powerful reigning nation is a provisionally-governed remnant state of not!Meiji Japan after their empire shattered into principalities that blew eachother to kingdom come. As you'd imagine, there are lots of factions at eachother's throats to fill the power vacuum, and the general state of civilian affairs is less postwar Tokyo and more 1950s Los Angeles: lots of suspicion of misplaced political loyalties and a shit-ton of foreign interests, both legal and criminal.

The nut of this is that even within this one city-state (and there are others), a PC's Honor is likely to pull different weight with different groups. The DMG states that Honor can be adjusted on a per-session basis based on player character behavior, but I feel like players might instead need a sheet to track their Honor score as it applies to different groups. Am I just overcomplicating the entire principle of the Honor ability?

>inb4 where's the combat
The group is fairly experienced and are interested in a more global-scope campaign. This city serves as a social hub/relative neutral ground, and so combat is not meant to be a practical solution here.

Plenty of wilderness for that.
>>
>>45084795
Well apparently he is a battlerager, so I'll make it a mountain dwarf berserker with battlerager abilities
>>
>>45084969
Give them a separate honor stat for each group maybe, and instead call it reputation or something, a la FO:NV (but with reputation actually mattering of course)
>>
>>45085032
Is Battlerager a thing in 5e?

Keep in mind that the way Pwent fights is to grapple onto someone and just move his limbs (which are covered in spike riddled plates) around until they die.
>>
>>45085053
There is a Battlerager archetype for the Berserker class in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide
>>
File: 89Nx0o5.jpg (152KB, 839x850px) Image search: [Google]
89Nx0o5.jpg
152KB, 839x850px
>>45083774
i would probably hit 16 charisma at 4, and then 18 strength at 8. then you can kind of be more free to do whatever. which oath are you?

and remember that your paladin aura will add to your constitution saves so idk how important having resilient con or war caster is for paladin necessarily.
>>
I set up a plot point last night that I won't be able to expend for at least a year or two.

Life is suffering.
>>
>>45080293
HotDQ is my first D&D experience. I'm enjoying it a lot.
>>
>>45085228
Ancients. Think it's cool.

War Caster I think it incredibly necessary, since a lot of Paladin spells that are desirable are concentration spells (such as bless). I feel that Resilient for the Con proficiency or War Caster for auto advantage on concentration checks is required, especially since I'm a melee Paladin and I'll probably be getting hit a lot.
>>
File: Wtf_3e6385_474933.jpg (26KB, 471x480px) Image search: [Google]
Wtf_3e6385_474933.jpg
26KB, 471x480px
>>45082650
I agree with this guy:>>45084447
You just could have the carriage come earlier or something. And after the session is done, you must had a serious talk with That Guy. What a douche.
>>
>>45082650
>>45084447
To be fair, the carriage and armed guard was a good start at salvaging the situation (I'm assuming that wasn't scripted).
>>
>>45084892
Yes
>>
File: mccoppin1.png (235KB, 200x261px) Image search: [Google]
mccoppin1.png
235KB, 200x261px
What's the best class(es)/archetypes to play in low level campaigns that either go really slowly exp wise or probably wont end up in higher levels due to campaign falling apart?
I don't mean damage per round wise or anything like that, just what has the best abilities or options for early level adventuring? I feel like Warlock is pretty high up there, but I'm unsure.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1422x3226px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1422x3226px
>>45079042
You could try to pull something like this with the Tarrasque, have the initial BBEG be a batshit insane dracolich disguised as a normal lich trying to summon their god, players suspect someone like Vecna or Orcus, enter the Tarrasque. At least that's how I'd go about it
>>
>>45085409
Base fighter's not too bad with Second Wind, especially if that Fighter is a Goliath.
>>
>>45085409
I thoroughly enjoyed playing a Shadow monk for a campaign that barely passed through level seven.
>>
File: 1452420335117.jpg (105KB, 551x439px) Image search: [Google]
1452420335117.jpg
105KB, 551x439px
So /tg/, I've been playing 3.5 for about 3 years now with a few different groups, and I was wondering if I should suck it up and buy a 5e handbook, as all the local groups have switched to it. If I should, just how much has changed?
>>
>>45085482
Might as well. They're very different games.

As for what's changed, go grab the Player's Handbook from the OP and check it out. It's nothing like 3.5.
>>
>>45085482
It's a good deal different from 3.5, but a lot more similar to it than 4e is.
>>
>>45085428
>goliath
because of stones endurance?
>>45085446
My campaigns (if I'm not DMing) usually get like a level, maybe two. shadow monk still fun if we start at 3, maybe 4?
>>
>>45085593
Yeah. Gives him a d12+Con reaction to reduce incoming damage and a d10+Level Bonus action to heal damage. Pretty good imo.
>>
Question:

A player has proficiency in a musical instrument, and he wants to play it on occasion. Should I have him roll Performance any time he plays the instrument to determine how well he plays, or does his proficiency in it mean that if he's just playing it casually (such as at a campfire with his party or at a festival, not trying to get money or entrance people with it) he doesn't have to roll?
>>
>>45085593
I'd say that open hand is better for being that early. Could also go fighter; I really enjoy most martials early on though
>>
File: D&DLemure.jpg (16KB, 161x272px) Image search: [Google]
D&DLemure.jpg
16KB, 161x272px
>>45080296
>lemure
>monkey buddies
what
>>
>>45085652
Google it. It was a joke. Lemures are monkey irl.
>>
>>45085695
>Lemures
I mean Lemurs
>>
>>45085617
What purpose does rolling serve? What interesting outcomes do you get from success or failure? That's not rhetorical ; if you can answer those questions then you should have him roll otherwise there's not really any point in it.
>>
>>45082129
>>45082111
You don't bleed profusely from amputations, your body has nerves that inform it where to pump blood, and if you lose those nerves through, say, getting your arm cut off, your body pretty much won't send blood there anymore.
>>
>>45085768
it creates tension, highs and lows, "holy shit" moments, RP opportunities, Wil Wheaton dying in acid
>>
>>45085617
Depends. Is there anybody of significance in the audience he might impress?
Is his poor playing going to attract a bear?

If there's consequences, I could get behind rolling, but if there's no effect to be had, who cares?
>>
>>45085844
>>45085768
That's typically my mentality. If there's no consequences for succeeding or failing, all rolling does is slow down the game (unless the player ASKS me if he can roll for it, like if he wants to try playing some speed metal or something stupid), but i also understand this bit >>45085809. Him failing or succeeding spectacularly could give me bits I could play off of and improvise.
>>
>>45085809
If his playing around the campfire could realistically lead to somebody dying in acid then yeah, you should totally roll for it. If he's just plucking out a few chords with no actual consequences either way likely then you probably don't have a reason to call for him to roll. Him rolling and getting a high result and therefore feeling awesome could well be reason enough though.
>>
>>45085962
>If his playing around the campfire could realistically lead to somebody dying in acid
uh yea of course it could
>>
>>45085987
I asked what purpose rolling to play tunes round the campfire would have and the guy responded claiming that Will Wheaton dying in acid is one purpose of it. I don't know how campaign, maybe that's true in his setting.
>>
>>45085987
>>45085962
>rolls a 1
dex save
>fuck, another 1
>>
precise tones cause the ground to open up, revealing dwarven trap
>>
>>45086049
or if you roll well... dwarven tap
>>
>>45086078
>or if you roll well... dwarven tap
haha
>>
Rolled for scores and got 13 16 16 16 13 17, what play?
>>
>>45086099
Anything you want. Your character can be good at whatever.

Paladin stats, though. Str, Cha, Con, Wis. In that order from highest to lowest.

Rest whatever.
>>
>>45086099
did u roll these at home alone
>>
>>45085804
Unhh nope
>>
>>45086099
Barbarian. Starting AC 16 while naked.
>>
>>45086123
Full Plate equivalent. Even more if you strap on a shield.
>>
>>45086106
I would have done monk but my DM is doing a more wild west setting and ruled that monks can't deflect bullets with their deflect missile ability.
>>45086120
Nah, DM watched me do it, but see reply to other anon
>>
>>45086099
Whatever the fuck you want, you've got the stats for it. Probably a Strength character with spell casting since you'll have decent mental stats and don't have concerns about low stats in Dex or whatever.
>>
>>45086148
Yup. High stat Barbarians are great. Shit doesn't get much harder to kill.
>>
>>45086163
Problem is that other guy is doing a barb.
>>
>>45086163
Advantage vs Dex saves is so fucking good

>>45086099
Gnome bearbarian
>>
>>45086158
Oops, meant to reply to
>>45086117
>>
>>45086169
How about you tell us what is off limits before asking?
>>
>>45086099
could do sorcerer
CHA for casting
>>
>>45086193
That's literally the one thing.
>>
>>45086235
You turned down Monks too.

Seriously man, just do whatever. Barbs and Monks are probably the best for taking advantage of a bunch of high stats. Bladelock also I suppose.
>>
Are there any UA I shouldn't allow at the table for balance reasons?

I don't want to have to read through them all in advance just in case someone brings one.
>>
>>45086169
>only one character per class per table

No

>rolling stats

No
>>
>>45086337
3D6 STRAIGHT DOWN
>>
>>45086337
If there's only two of us playing then I wouldn't want to play the same class as the other guy.
>>
>>45086412
>two players
>both roll barbarians

so play a fucking viking campaign you kek

>>45078463
>Fighter: Scout

Really just kicking the ranger while it's down now, eh Wizards?
>>
>>45086394
Rolling stats makes sense in a highly lethal environment.

It doesn't make sense in the dramatically less lethal post-3.5e environment.
>>
>>45086439
If both players want to play Barbarians, that's awesome.

In this case though, the guy seems to me to be saying he doesn't want to play a Barbarian because the other guy is.
>>
>>45086255
>Monks
this meme again
>>
File: keikaku means plan.jpg (12KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
keikaku means plan.jpg
12KB, 400x225px
>>45078659

My nigga!

>tfw introducing clues that look like mistakes on your part
>they still have no idea
>>
>>45082650
>making someone roll to attack an unconscious target pinned against a tree
>>
Hypothetical situation. If I'm a multiclassed Cleric/Sorcerer with the Tempest Domain, could I use Charisma to cast Call Lightning from my Domain's spell list? Or would I need to learn it as a Sorcerer in order to do that?
>>
File: modrons.jpg (300KB, 1380x679px) Image search: [Google]
modrons.jpg
300KB, 1380x679px
If they ever make a 5e Planescape book, what new subclasses or other crunchy things do think it should have?
>>
>>45086786
If you're casting it as a Cleric spell then I believe you'd need to use Wisdom.
>>
>>45086870

Yeah, I just reread the section on multiclassing and you're right. Damn, Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorc is more MAD than I expected.
>>
>>45082476
I actually like this idea. More emphasis on choosing from a large list of Skills, features, feats, and abilities instead of just arbitrarily getting whatever features.
>>
What should I name my viking minotaur's clan?
>>
>>45087649
Clan Scarhorn
Clan Bloodhorn
Clan Bearcrusher
Clan Thunderhorn
Clan Stormhoof
>>
>>45078671
Tell him to google 2e's Monstrous Arcana. There's a three-part mega-campaign that is all about Beholders, including one supplement that is nothing but the ecology of Beholders.
>>
>>45078799
Artificer of Alancia on DMsguild.com. I've used it before, and its great.
>>
>>45087649
Clan Boveen.
>>
>>45078830
Only annoying part is I'd have to start a new game in the System, and I have literally everything planned out for my entire campaign...the next 12 levels...and I can't change my current campaign to use that new stuff...

I have no desire to do it again. *angryDMface*
>>
>>45087671
Clan Stormpelt
refering to the salt etc getting cought in their hair after months at sea.
or Salthide, or something like that.
>>
>>45078861
I like to include "Character Hooks" that players can build characters around, juicy little hints to get them into it a bit.
>>
Is Ravenloft any good in 5E?
>>
>>45079808
...what kung fu movies have you been watching? lol
>>
Building a sorc for the first time, which would you say is a better metamagic choice at early levels- Quickened, or Twinned Spell?
>>
>>45078861
One of the absolute best ways to do it is.

"Hey guys, I'm thinking of running a campaign where a witches coven is terrorizing the countryside. Take that into account when making the characters"

Failing that, talk to them about their backstories and include it if possible.
They served in the army, perhaps they run into a deserter trying to drink away the horrors of war in an inn and they get talking.

Perhaps there are rumors afloat that their merchant uncle has run into some very rough times because of brigands (that might answer to the bbeg).

and so forth et cetera
>>
>>45087784

It's not out yet.

But in terms of how well it'd fit with the mechanics I think it'd be fine. It certainly suits the game better than a setting like Eberron
>>
I'm needing to find a place in Faerun that isn't detailed enough to make my grognard players angry when I change stuff.

Any idea where I can place the campaign that's just basically a name?

NOTE: Three players have been playing since B/X, and consider themselves experts on all settings, and I got roped into DMing.
>>
>>45087920

Just use a setting that isn't shit, possibly your own.
>>
>>45087956
If I had time to prepare, I would...I'm going to be winging it as it is, since the game is Sunday, and they requested FR.
>>
>>45087920
Have the game take place in whatever area you feel like you know best. Make your adventure about someone messing with history and any time a player calls you out on an inconsistency their character suffers a temporal backlash and takes psychic damage.
>>
>>45087976

>I'm going to be winging it as it is, since the game is Sunday

Shiiiieeeeet.

Anyway, Faerun is a fucking mess of retconning, so much of the map has been rewritten over and over again, I'm not even sure what's where anymore.
>>
>>45088084
Yeah...it's going to be interesting. And, to top things off, I have to work all weekend. >.>

I've got a plot outlined, and encounters I can do in my head. Just need to find a place to put it that's close enough to the Sword Coast to satisfy their desires while lacking enough details that I can put the plot there (the plot requires a deserted mining town, an abandoned-and-nearby castle, a larger city with a mage's guild and/or university, and orcs in the nearby wilderness).
>>
File: Faerun_map.jpg (2MB, 4000x2878px) Image search: [Google]
Faerun_map.jpg
2MB, 4000x2878px
>>45088155

See that lake way up North of Netheril, the one slightly smaller than Highmelt Lake?

I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing there.

Just make up a city and plop it down next to the lake.
>>
>>45088233
Highmelt Lake?
>>
>>45088254

No, the one to the left of Highmelt lake, on the other side of those mountains.
>>
>>45088155
While that sounds like the Phandelver region, you could also cheat and put a small landmass just west of the Sword Coast and say it was a bit of land that got displaced after the Sundering, and the people there are trying to rebuild upon their cracked and broken island.

Make forgotten realms actually earn its keep.
>>
File: 61JBRQAA96L.jpg (65KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
61JBRQAA96L.jpg
65KB, 385x500px
WIZARDS!

RELEASE A 5e CONVERSION OF RED HAND OF DOOM ALREADY

I'M TOO LAZY TO DO IT MYSELF
>>
File: Hobbitfu.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Hobbitfu.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>she will never save you from a goblin by sneak attacking him in the balls as he raises his blade to impale you
>ywn tickle her feet while she laughs
>ywn catch her burgling cookies in the middle of the night
>why even live
>>
>>45087729
this tbqh faM
>>
>>45088522

>Hobbitish

But Hobbitish is just a dialect of Westron.
>>
File: 1413484239595.jpg (171KB, 768x820px) Image search: [Google]
1413484239595.jpg
171KB, 768x820px
>>45087784
Can someone explain to me what's so great about Ravenloft? I'm pretty new to D&D.
>>
>>45088670
It's gothic horror where no one wins.
>>
File: BelladonnaTookWorg02.png (624KB, 1024x1026px) Image search: [Google]
BelladonnaTookWorg02.png
624KB, 1024x1026px
>>45088670
Super grim dark always dark world, with vampires. Hmm kinda sucks wen you see it all written out like that.

>>45088620
>But Hobbitish is just a dialect of Westron.
Also trap sprung. Fucking nerd.
>>
File: 1453608037950.jpg (183KB, 1400x842px) Image search: [Google]
1453608037950.jpg
183KB, 1400x842px
>>45088670
Gothic Horror is cool, breh.
>>
>>45088670

World floating in endless sea of mist, ruled over by evil overlords who are placed there as punishment by some malevolent force no one understands.
Everything is awful, the villains are as miserable as their subjects, no one ever wins and nothing good ever happens.
>>
File: american-eskimo-dog2.jpg (96KB, 335x400px) Image search: [Google]
american-eskimo-dog2.jpg
96KB, 335x400px
>Your DM tells you he's starting a campaign using 5e rules, races, classes, etc, but in a modern setting, intermingling fantasy and technology.
Sorta like a less technologically-advanced and dystopian shadowrun i guess?

What's your character?
>>
>>45088823

Sounds like a terrible idea, I'd rather just play Shadowrun.

D&D is for fantasy, that's the only thing it's good at.

My character is "Call me when you start another game"
>>
>>45088838
rood tbqh senpaitachi. I agree really, but we've been on hiatus for a bit and i want to play with my group
>>
>>45088823
Think I've responded to this before, but an elf who has watched the world go from swords to this modern nation would be real fuckin neato

Alternatively, an orc barbarian from a native tribe or something who has no idea how any tech works?
>>
>>45085804
Yes, you do. Your body can indeed divert bloodflow from wounded parts of your body to prevent blood loss, but it's not that effective when it comes to extremely serious wounds such as being de-limbed. You'd still lose lots of blood in a very rapid amount of time, and if you didn't get a tourniquet on it quickly he'd likely die. What did you think tourniquets were for?
>>
>>45088823
I'd rather use Shadowrun or another system for something like this....
>>
>>45088838
I honestly agree.
>>45088823
If I had to I'd play a Rogue and restat magical weapons to work for such a setting.
>>
>>45088823
This sounds stupid. What is this, Star Trek the table top roleplaying character driven roleplaying game? No Thankee Sai
>>
>>45088823
I'm making a setting like this, except the only remotely modern technology is internet, rudimentary computers (circa 90s tech), and circa 60s recording devices, with shitty smartphones thrown in for good measure. The technology only works when in range of massive monolithic structures that nobody knows the origins of, and the farther you get away from them the shittier everything works, and the range is only a few miles. I call it Swords & Sorcery & Selfies.
>>
>>45086904
>Yeah, I just reread the section on multiclassing and you're right. Damn, Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorc is more MAD than I expected.
Do Storm Sorc/UDL Lock. Though FS/UDL is probably a better Sorclock in every way to the point it might border on cheese.
>>
>>45088838
>>45089086
>>45089109
truly helpful. look the fact is that this is what my group is about to play whether i prefer something else or not. I'm just looking for some inspirational sparks.

>>45089064
>>45089098
Thanks, I especially like the sort of idea with the elf.
>>
>>45089263
Well, if you're stuck with it, take a look at the WotC stuff they put out for a modern game. A gun-pact warlock sounds fun.
>>
I'm mostly excited for the new minis that will inevitably come out with Ravenloft.
>>
>>45078957
Just up defense, HP, DC and damage some and make it X but bigger!
>>
>>45089229

Doing a lightning/thunder themed guy, don't really see anything in Warlock that would further that, even if it is more mechanically powerful. I've sort of decided that I'll simply sacrifice his Strength entirely and give up the chance to use Booming Blade as well as cutting his Con a bit. I guess I don't really need 16 Con if I'm throwing lightning from the back, right?
>>
>>45088670
Its the defacto horror setting for D&D. It also the holder of the "dark fantasy" slot when compared to the other settings.
>>
If I'm understanding this right, this Ravenloft thing is, essentially, the edgy piece in D&D, yeah? So my PTSD Halfling Ranger would fit right in during the Strahd campaign, yeah? I didn't really want him to go past level 10 anyway, so that works out just fine.
>>
>>45089628

>this Ravenloft thing is, essentially, the edgy piece in D&D, yeah?

I mean, if you're the kind of colossal fucktard that refers to anything grim as "edgy" then yeah, I suppose.
>>
>>45088670
The module's already been written.
>>
File: 1428262474581.jpg (35KB, 197x246px) Image search: [Google]
1428262474581.jpg
35KB, 197x246px
>>45089654

>Grimdark shit
>Not edgy
>>
>>45089682
>Why bother with different genre, just call everything edgy ! Do I fit in on the 4chin yet ?
>>
>>45089705

I think you've lost perspective, son.
>>
>>45089682
The line is thin but there is a difference, usually relating to good storytelling. Grimdark refers to the kind of settings where the key goal is survival and humans have to make really difficult decisions to stay alive, often losing their souls/sanity in the process. Apocalypse Now might be called grim dark. Edgy is the same shtick but with bad storytelling and inadvertently hyperbolic TRAGEDY. It's characterized more by characters who do terrible things but not for a terribly convincing reason.
>>
>>45089711
oh the ironing
>>
>>45089597
Not the guy you were talking to, but if that's what you want to do, the first way that comes to my mind would be a Wis/Cha primary, Con tertiary Dwarf Cleric/Sorcerer. Run heavy armor, obviously, and grab Magic Initiate for Shillelagh if you want to do shit in melee. Somewhat MAD, but at least you can dump Str, Dex and Int.
>>
My PCs are going to a silent auction (which is then going to be interrupted by a bunch of Sahuagin barging in to reclaim a stolen artifact). The local police force are suspicious about where the items on auction have come from.

What are some interesting ways my players can learn that the items are stolen and/or cursed?
>>
>Adventurer's League
>Dumbass paladin gets him/herself killed by gay-making out with an Incubus, reducing his/her own HP into the negatives
>Drag his dumb body back to down, revive him
>New adventure
>Descend into the Underdark
>Dumbass paladin dies in 18 seconds to a pudding, which proceeds to eat his body
>She's rolling up a Bard/Wizard/Rogue with 0 Con next

Send help.
>>
>>45089782

>Organized play

Not.

Even.

Once.
>>
>>45089754

Yeah, I was gonna go with a Mountain Dwarf for the guy. His story is that, when he was born, lightning struck through his mountain home and gave him his Sorc powers. When he becomes a man, he decides he wants to worship whatever sky god blessed him, only to find out there are no dwarven sky gods. So he sets out to find one, or a non-dwarven sky god, or whatever. The +2 to Str and Con were big boons too. But yeah, the only thing losing Strength costs me is I won't be able to use Booming Blade (or make any attacks at all really). Heavy armor was a given. As for my weapon, I was gonna use a Pickaxe because I thought it was cool, but using Shillelagh instead...can you Booming Blade with Shillelagh? It'd eat my feat though...Unless I took a single level in Druid? Yuck, getting out of hand.
>>
>>45089840
>can you Booming Blade with Shillelagh
Yes. Despite the name, you only need to make a melee attack with a weapon. Quarterstaves work. Clubs work. Even fucking improvised melee attacks with a crossbow work. Funnily enough, unarmed strikes don't, though.

Therefore, you should optimally take Hill Dwarf for the Con/Wis bonus.

Your backstory seems a bit off to me, in that being struck by lightning shouldn't give you lightning powers unless it's somehow radioactive lightning and your name's Peter Parker, but that's your DM's and your business, not mine.
>>
>>45089926
Could be a dwarf named Earnest. Especially if he went to the dungeon.
>>
>>45089767
>The nature of the items be clear, or at least highly suspicious, to anyone with a good knowledge skill or academic/relevant background
>The people who "found" the items chatting up the crowd and the party notices they're not telling the whole story
>Someone touches one of the items and gets a funny feeling
>A crazy man is standing outside the building yelling ominous nonsense
>Everyone is offered a fortune cookie at the event and the PCs all get weird messages in theirs
>>
Got a question anons what should i do with this party
>anon is the dm, running OotA
>party consist of 4 pc's : CN Half Orc barbarian - CG Human Arabian Fighter- NG Halfling thief-CN Elven Bladesinger-LE Tiefling Warlock
>Party succesfully escapes from prison
>Takes Stool,Kua-tao guy and buppido with them
>Goin straight through to sloopludop
>Saw demogorgon
>Escape through the Graclestugh
>Kua-tao pacifist starts making mushroom weed with halfling
>Buppido kills kua-tao
>Buppido convince tiefling he is a god
>Tiefling eats stool because off immense hunger they start to suffer
>Finally made they way through the city
>Arrested by Stoneguard escape in the midway
>Warlock suggest following buppido to his home
>Buppido say them to wait outside the cave
>Gives him halucinogenic mushroom
>Sacrifice tiefling to himself
>Party finds it out
>Barbarian goes mad when he saw his dead bff's guts.
>Barbarian kills the buppido,lies his body into altar and starts to rape him
>Arabish dude attacks barbarian while shouting infidel ,Halfling gains a one level of madness and bladesinger sleeps everyone.
>They found dragon egg while exploring the cave.
>They Snitch the dragon egg
>Player of dead tiefling starts to play as red dragon wyrmlig
>they do all the shit first part
>Halfling gains indefinite madness in neverlight grove and becomes a CE
murdering little bastard
>Arab guy becomes CE
>Before they make their way to the surface they find out drow chasers
>Ambush em
>Arab takes ilvara and priest as concubines
>They now left the underdark and never want to return they
>Refused Bruenor's offer
>They want to continue to this game
Any good ideas
>>
>>45079786
Well, playing Horde of the Dragon Queen right now, and either all y'all are lying liars who lie all day; OR I have an amazing DM who can transmute base metals into gold; OR Princes and Abyss are absolutely the best modules of all time that make all others look like shit by comparison...

...because we're basically at the end now, with the flying castle and stuff, and I've been having fun the entire damn time. Hell, the two-month caravan was the best part. The DM didn't skip a single day of the caravan. I mean, sometimes nothing much happened and so we just remarked on small things that we did, but we never went "and so four days passed uneventfully.."

So, yeah. I don't know what 5eg is always going on about with regards to HotDQ. Perhaps your DMs sucked/you sucked as DMs, or something.
>>
>>45090019
How would you feel about giving the party like five or so items and having them figure out which specific one was stolen?
>>
>>45090028
...segue into Princes of the Apocalypse or Rise of Tiamat?
>>
How are you supposed to run the game in a town? Just give them a map with stuff on it and say "where do you want to go" and narrate NPCs at the appropriate places? I'm just not really sure how to do this while keeping up the verisimilitude
>>
>>45090155

Just read Keep on the Borderlands or something.

It's not very hard.
>>
>>45090300
Keep on the Borderlands 2: Keep On Keepin' On
>>
>>45090155
You describe the places they see and the people they see. Have adventures handy (an aligator in the cistern) and let them overhear people talking about them. Once they establish themselves, people will go to them with problems.
>>
Theoretically, what is the highest a Shadow Sorcerer could push their Con save for their Strength of the Grave feature to?

I can only see Con mod+Cha mod+proficiency on a Sorc 1 / Paladin 6, possibly with a miscellaneous +1d4 from Bless or similar.

Unless I've missed something, this means that even with inexplicable 20s in Con and Cha, they can on average save from being dropped by a hit of no more than 21 damage level 7 (which is pretty decent), scaling to 24 damage at level 20 (which is not).
>>
>>45082841
You're all faggots. You can drink and smoke cigars but dude can't get high? When I first started smoking I got really talkative but my mates (and general experience) just let me know and helped me relax and think more than speak.
Marijuana can be a great way to immerse yourself in the adventure and characters. of suggest to him that his behavior isn't cool or funny but that you don't mind if he tries again after becoming a little more experienced with the effects.
>>
>>45082841

>Trying to solve out of game problems through in-game actions.

You're a gigantic fucking retard.
>>
>>45090800
Not him but chill man. Differnt people act differntly when high. I smoke too and I really spazz out when I do and I couldn't ever imagine myself playing D&D while high.
>>
>>45078725
>>45078957

If I wrote up a bunch of level 15+ monsters that aren't undead or dragons, would people buy it? What would people want? More godlike things like Great Old Ones and Lords of Hell, or more of the sort of monsters that can do the job of mooks in a high-level dungeon?
>>
>>45090897

>more of the sort of monsters that can do the job of mooks in a high-level dungeon?

That's definitely what I'm looking for, some big monsters that aren't The Big Bad. I'm fine with writing up stats myself if I need a custom Big Bad, but I'm seriously struggling with making encounters besides the Big Bad himself that aren't just bigger hordes of shit they've already fought.

Also, avoid Fiends, we have plenty of those too.
>>
>>45090800
Weed is great.

Being the only one high is awful for everyone.

Getting high when you know you're going to be hanging out with people who aren't is rude.

Have some fucking class, kid.
>>
Maybe more monsters that hit hard but are fairly brittle. HP scales a lot faster than damage does, so it takes a level 15 party way longer to kill a CR 15 monster than it does for a level 1 party to kill a level 1 monster. The table for monster stats by CR gives everything a shitton of HP, and even though actual monsters in the MM tend to have a lot fewer than the recommended amount of HP, it can take a while to get through them. Though 4e's good ideas were few and far between, one of them was monsters who die in one hit but still could get in an attack or two that would significantly set back a high-level character.
>>
>>45086554
>>making someone roll to attack an unconscious target pinned against a tree
yeah this tbqh
>>
File: p1588008387-3.jpg (174KB, 580x375px) Image search: [Google]
p1588008387-3.jpg
174KB, 580x375px
>>45088267
>>45088254
>>45088233
Id the SCAG is anything to go by, that area froze over again when Netheril fell for the second time, and now it's part of the High Ice.
>>
>>45091265

This shit is why Eberron is my favorite setting.

Fuck meta-plots, fuck novels, fuck a tool meant for use for a game progressing in ways that make it impossible for anyone to figure out where anything is or what's going on.
>>
>>45091265
I actually decided to place it in the Greypeak mountains, just south of the High Forest.
>>
>>45091310
inb4 they move the setting year forward when they adapt it to 5e
>>
>>45090054
>and either all y'all are lying liars who lie all day
>4chan
>not full of hyperbole about everything
>especially fa/tg/uys talking about d&d

glad you had a good time with it, I enjoyed it while I did it too (we never finished t_t)
>>
>>45091363

I will literally shit my pants in rage.
>>
Any advice on distributing my stats? 27 point buy, no feats game, starting at level 1. We are running the starter set then moving into hoard of the dragon queen. I am going to play a Goliath Barbarian with plans to go Totem. Thanks.
>>
>>45091363
THERE WERE EBERRON NOVELS!? WHY WASN'T I TOLD!!??
>>
>>45091423

>t_t

Out.
>>
>>45091310
It's playing a different game. FR is so fuck-huge that it lends itself to being a shared world. You could meet another player at a con from half a world away who has never played in a campaign with you before, and if you've both been playing FR it's likely that the tales of your two campaigns will be more-or-less compatible so that they could have happened in the same universe. Eberron is more like one of those "legacy" board games that you fuck up and deface while playing it. You're going to kill all the most important people in Khorvaire, because there aren't that many of them and they're only level 9-12. When two Eberron players talk about their campaigns they're inevitably going to be talking about the two different ways their respective parties killed the Lord of Blades. Both approaches can be good, they're just different.
>>
>>45091495

They're actually pretty good.

But the best part is that they are entirely and EXPLICITLY non-canon to the actual RPG setting.
>>
>>45091510
...linky to epubs? I'll read them over the next couple days.
>>
>>45091593

Here's a list.

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R20R5ZFFK3RO81
>>
>>45091508
I agree with this. I'm currently running a game in Baldur's Gate and playing in a game set in eastern Faerun. They will likely never intersect in any way and we'll likely never meet anyone "famous." Its nice having a setting that just lets you pick a spot on a map, have some back story and locations ready, and play.
>>
>>45091475
Str, Con, Dex, Wis, Cha, Int in that order. Only Str and Con should be 15+.
>>
>>45091475
Strength > Con > Dex > Wis > Cha >= Int

Barbarians are hard, they are MAD.

If you want to be an absolute madman 15/15/15/8/8/8 that shit

now since its a +2 str/+1 con race, instead you could

14 strength, 14 dex, 15 con, and then have 4 points left over if you want 12 wisdom or 10 wis/10 charisma. but if you decide mental stats are for chumps, and at 4 you want to be bumping your strength to 18 and your dex to 16 instead of strength to 18 and dex stays 14, you can do what I said earlier and 15/15/15/8/8/8
>>
>>45078569
I always write summaries right after a session so that someone who isn't there can be filled in on it, and adjust the encounters a little bit according to people not being there.
>>
>>45092075
>barb
Yeah, I am thinking 14 str and dex 15 con before racials. Then 10 wis and int with 8 cha. Thanks anon.
>>
New thread.

>>45092402
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.