[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One Roll Engine General Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3

File: REIGN cover.jpg (83KB, 650x330px) Image search: [Google]
REIGN cover.jpg
83KB, 650x330px
Anyone here have experience with REIGN, Wild Talents, Better Angels and other products using the One Roll Engine?

>What is the One Roll Engine?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/One_Roll_Engine

Games that use the One Roll Engine:
>Godlike/Wild Talents
Superhero roleplaying immense customizability in a world gone mad.

>REIGN
Gritty fantasy game set in a weird world that includes rules for running mercenary bands, factions, even entire kingdoms

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
You play as a school age kid with a monstrous companion that helps you on adventures and probably wants to eat pets/people/used tires

>Better Angels
You're a supervillain, and the guy on the table next to you plays the demon in your character's head urging him towards increasingly deplorable acts

>A Dirty World
An ORE product optimized for playing noir detective stories

>Nemesis
Supernatural horror game that uses the Madness Tracks from Unknown Armies to track psychological trauma

Share your stories, favorite/least favorite aspects of the system, ideas for homebrew, etc.
>>
>Wild Talents
I've been playing a Wild Talents game for about two years that's finally nearing its endgame. It's the first game I've GM'd regularly and know inside and out, and in my opinion it's the best superhero roleplaying game out there. Not perfect, but definitely the most fun to play.

REIGN:

With WT winding down I'm working on a REIGN game set in a sci-fi setting, and to that end I'm making some original Martial Paths that I'd love some feedback on. It's a high adventure, space opera type where melee combat is frequently used, and I'm designing the paths to reflect that. Most of the paths from the core book are in there with some thematic changes but with the mechanics intact.

Here's what I have so far if anyone with REIGN experience can offer advice:

>https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxatnv3bbup2zmc/MARTIAL%20PATHS.docx?dl=0&preview=MARTIAL+PATHS.docx
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>45068640
I was thinking of doing some kind of Wild Talents campaign at some point. I don't have any real world/plot concepts yet, but the ORE looks interesting, and I've wanted to run a superhero game for a while now. Do you have any advice?
>>
>>45070161
Sure!

The number 1 suggestion I'd have is to make sure that your players are all on the same page with their abilities. It's possible for two characters that are made from the same point totals to have wildly different levels of ability, where one can fly and the other one can blow people's heads off by looking at them. Don't be afraid to rein in their powers if you think they'll break the game, because Wild Talents is super breakable, basically by design.

Other suggestions:

-A dice pool only needs to be about 6d to have a very good chance of success; if you want an NPC to be reasonably competent at something, use that as a basis.

-If you find that combat is more lethal than you'd prefer, use the Wound Shift rules that let you move damage down to a different location at a cost of Willpower. This has the effect of drawing out combat quite a bit by turning it into a battle of wills (which actually works very well for boss-type encounters)

-You definitely want to be able to give your characters at least some kind of body armor, otherwise any character with a gun, especially one with Spray, will chew them up.

-On that topic, armor in WT is kind of confusing, so feel free to just have it work like soak instead of damage conversion.

Any particular questions you have?
>>
>>45070306
I don't have any specific questions for now. Thanks for the advice, though!
>>
>>45070513
One other piece of advice I'd give is to use this rule from REIGN:

After a fight ends and characters are able to take a minute to catch their breath, they remove half the shock they've taken during that fight.

It makes as much sense in a superhero game as it does a fantasy adventure game, if not more; plus it helps low-level characters survive situations where they are in multiple combats during a session.
>>
Love ORE.

Got into MaOCT. Played Reign, Nemesis. Jonesing for some Better Angels! And Godlike is also on the to-do list.

Best crunch for custom modding.
>>
>>45070916
Glad there's at least one other person on this board with some experience!

When you played REIGN, did you go with the default setting or make your own? I love Heluso and Milonda but I can easily see why a lot of people would be turned off at how unconventional the setting is.
>>
>>45071013
I was just a player and I know the GM has the Enchiridion. We did play on the setting world, but no one knows where, and we haven't encountered any idiosyncrasies. The GM isn't much for explaining and kept it simple.

I for one wouldn't touch the setting because it is too complicated to convey. I'd need my players to read articles to even get their characters. And they won't. But it IS a great setting, just not for me. Just like Talislanta or Blue Rose, there's too much explaining that goes with it.
>>
>>45071098
True enough. "Two continents shaped like human beings embracing each other beneath an unmoving sun" is a little far from Middle Earth.

Question: what sort of custom modding have you played around with in the system? I'm currently modding a hybrid of REIGN and Wild Talents into a space adventure game, using MaOCT as part of the spaceship creation rules.
>>
>>45071381
>spaceship creation rules
This is thin ice. I'd try and resolve all that narratively. No need to balance space ships, they will never be balanced. But if you must, definitely look at Diaspora. It has the only space combat I find remotely playable.

ORE Mecha could have a few pointers as well.

I start by considering my game and its themes, then I remember all the fun little mechanics from the many ORE games and see what fits. Staying on the gritty side I tend to go with Madness Meter and per limb damage resolution. For narrative games I enjoy the Relationship stat, it doesn't have to be people but can be concepts or social groups. I like how powers/magic come out different each time, there is no right way but you have to make it fit your setting.

But I'm no master of ORE, I just like the fast gamist mechanism and the easy balancing with a dice pool. You should look into the toolkit.

http://www.1km1kt.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/oretk.zip
>>
>>45071709
Balance isn't what I'm interested in. I cut my teeth in ORE with Wild Talents, where all balance basically has to be done manually by the GM. It should be possible but not enforced because that would restrict creativity.

I'll definitely look up Diaspora though. I've got a space combat system in mind but it's all theoretical at this point.

When you played REIGN, did your GM do much with Companies?

>toolkit
I kind of hate the toolkit actually; it's such a tangled mess of text and rules that I honestly have a hard time parsing it. I found the Enchiridion to have basically all the information I needed.
>>
>>45071813
Nope. And I would have loved to. The GM would have as well, but we just never got that far. Part of it was the GM keeping it small because he hadn't read enough of it. Part of it was the characters were at the beginning of their heroic journey and just hadn't made much of a name for themselves yet. In fact we really tried hard to stay under the radar.

But the way I skimmed the rules it looks like it's more of a meta tool and the GM really has to fluff it out. What it gives you is random decisions behind the scenes, like if players send someone to do a job or there's scheming at court.

I believe the Enchiridion is the best GM book for ORE. Nemesis is the best first look for GMs, MaOCT for players. Nemesis is free.
>>
>>45071098
>>45071381

I'm using Heluso & Milonda in the game I'm running now, and I really love it. H&M is the kind of setting that gives you a lot of cool moments to show off to new players.

Like, the first time they pulled their ship into port I described them looking out at the city as if they were falling towards it, seeing it sprawled upwards and outwards in front of them as if it were a painting on a continent-sized wall that they were sailing towards. Cue ten minutes of excited questions about "Wait, so what if I jump from the land into the water?" "When a river meets the ocean, does it look like a waterfall?" (for the record, we decided it didn't). It was a lot of fun.

I also had a good time the first time they traveled across the ocean. They were all aware of the land bridge that is the Empire connecting Heluso to Milonda. They weren't aware that it's not a land bridge as we generally think of it here, but a continent-sized cylinder that spans the ocean between continents, thousands of feet above the actual sea. I had their route take them under it, and described how as they looked up during the day all they saw was the monumental blackness of the sunless side of the Empire, but at night--without the reflected rays of the sun obscuring it--they saw the faint glimmers of sunless cities clinging to the land far above them, and mentioned that if any of the inhabitants of those cities were to look up at this moment (and it wasn't night), they'd see a tiny speck of a ship sailing across the sea far above them.

One of the guys actually said "woah." I never get that kind of reaction. And they actually bring stuff like that up later, which is something that surprised me--I'd never get them to remember an important landmark in my not-D&D game.

The pre-built factions and political stuff is all super helpful for adventure-building, but the fantastic weirdness of the setting itself is what I think has made the biggest impact so far.
>>
bump for later interest
>>
>>45070161
Power creation can be horrifically confusing for new players and because of the flexibility allowed by the system it can be quite easy to end up with a group with wildly out of sync capabilities.

First time around I would suggest having the players create their characters as normal people ('you have x points; stats are 5 per die with a minimum of 1, skills are 2, base will is 3 and willpower is 1') and then give them pre-built power templates that they can stack on top of that.
>>
>>45068423
>Better Angels
Don't have anything to say as I am still trying to get my group to play it but I did find htis a few days ago

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/the-spared-and-the-spoiled-a-better-angels-campaign/

Which is Caleb Stokes getting his group to playtesting Better Angels in what eventually became the No Soul Left Behind adventures. It has it's moments and my only complaint I have is that it's a bit light on player/demon interactions for my tastes, still a good enough listen.
>>
>>45074866
Basically, Heluso and Milonda are what every homebrewer wants to create for their original setting but don't quite have the vision for. It's a startlingly original world that is genuinely surprising.

>>45076764
This is an excellent approach. There's actually a One Roll Character generator for Wild Talents that works for this. Your suggestion is also a pretty effective way of bringing new players in-- they get to create the person they want to play as, and what powers they get are unexepected, just like they would be in an actual comic book.
>>
>>45077098
I tried reading Better Angels but couldn't get into it, partially because I thought the book was really confusingly laid out. I get what Stolze was going for but I had a harder time than usual following it, especially after reading REIGN which is actually kind of enjoyable to read through.
>>
>>45078481
I also found that powersets were really useful in the event I had to introduce a superpowered NPC off the cuff. It was just a matter of slapping a template on to one of the statblocks in the back of the book.

Here's a couple of 25pt powersets I used in a low-powered game I did a while ago.
>>
>>45079983
That's fantastic, saving that for possible future use.
>>
I really wanna do a Wild Talents game in a setting where every human has a single small but useful superpower.

Mostly cause I feel like Wild Talents would handle a low-powered Supers Setting best.
>>
>>45080113

Alternatively: an ORE hack of Bloodborne.
>>
File: Xanth.jpg (115KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
Xanth.jpg
115KB, 318x475px
>>45080113

Xanth game when.
>>
>>45080342

I don't know what that is
>>
>>45080282
What would you need to have in order to make a proper Bloodborne game?

Because it can probably be done with REIGN. Actually the Souls games in general would be a pretty good fit. Combat in Souls is all about timing and animation interupts, which is how ORE combat works in the first place. All combatants roll at once an actions are resolved in order of timing dictated by the Width of their attack; and if you hit someone before they can hit you, they lose a dice off their highest set.

Not only could it be done, it could probably be done easy with almost no adjustments to the core system.
>>
>>45080113
This could be done just by giving everyone a power with 1d+1WD, so they can always do it successfully, and it gives them room to grow on top of it.
>>
>>45080428
Man I'm going to have to put a little bit of thought into this because it could be amazing
>>
>>45080739
There's a couple of threads on this exact concept in Wild Talents floating around on the net. I can't remember where but google will probably point you in the right direction.
>>
>>45080936
What I'm thinking is this:

The only obstacle between ORE and *Souls is that ORE doesn't really do granular stats or weapons, which is a major part of a Souls game. It's what makes ORE combat so fast paced but it's a consideration that needs to be factored in for a Souls game.

What if a ORE-Souls character had two sets of Stats for combat-- one for rolling, and another for determining effect. Like you roll Strength + Sword and get your normal Width x Height, but instead of damage being Width in Killing, damage is X Points per Width, with the X being a factor of the weapon + your character's combat stats. Massive weapons would have huge damage but suffer a timing penalty during resolution, so you'd need to slow your opponent or have excellent timing to actually Kirkhammer a dude into the ground successfully.

It's definitely a hack, but it's totally doable.
>>
>>45081146
Sure, it's definitely doable, heck you could adjust some of the existing mechanics to get what you're looking for.

For example you could give a weapon a quality 'Massive' with a value of x. Each point grants an extra point of width for damage resolution but subtracts a point of width for initiative in the resolve phase, basically extra Attacks value mitigated by a negative version of the Go First extra in Wild Talents.
>>
>>45080455

The basic idea is that everyone has a superpower that can be potent but is equivocal to something like a modern piece of technology.

So like a guy with super speed could run say, as fast as a car but not much faster.

A guy can shoot fire from his hands like a flame thrower but isn't going to be making pillars of molten lava.

A man can turn invisible but it'll be like a predator cloak where you can clearly see his outline when you get close.

Something neat and potent but not cosmic or game-breaking basically.
>>
>>45081521
That's definitely how I'd see it. Other stuff:

-Base Will becomes Humanity/Insight

-I'd probably drop Hit Locations, since that would require tracking separate HP totals for each body part. It's easy when you're dealing with Wound Boxes, not so much when we're talking double digit numbers. Plus it's not as if a Souls game ever cared about where you hit something apart from backstabbing.

With that in mind, Height becomes a factor mainly in defense (beat their Height to gobble their attack), in backstabbing (you need to get behind them and also hit them in exactly the right spot for massive damage) and in magic (certain sorceries/miracles/pyromancies have Intensities that you need to beat with your roll). Special combat maneuvers too could be dependent on Height.
>>
>>45082082
Sounds cool; it'd be tricky to create an entire setting like that because it would be totally upside down from our own era, but still cool.

Case in point: Progenitor, one of Wild Talent's setting books. In 1968 an American housewife gains superpowers, and they spread to the people she comes across. This leads to a total rewriting of world history over the past 40 years and, like, two separate apocalypses. Might be something worth checking out.
>>
>>45079124
I get what you are on about, something about the way it's all organised in the book seems to make it more difficult than it should be. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what the problem is though.
I like the idea all the same and the demon thing kind of reminds me vaguely of the Wraith shadow deal. I like that someone else plays a complete asshole/corrupting influence over your character, trying to screw you over but you need them all the same for awesome powers.
>>
>>45082370
It's not unlike Panty Explosion, a terrible game with the genius idea of having one player at the table as your Best Friend, who narrates awesome stuff that happens to you, and another as your Rival, who details all the miserable things that happen when you bungle a roll.

God I hope this thread is still afloat by morning. It's the first ORE thread I've seen here in months.
>>
>>45082082
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?496686-Wild-Talents-Good-Cheap-Powers
Here's some handy material on someone doing kind of thing I think you're after.

>>45082124
>Base Will becomes Humanity/Insight
Seems like a pretty solid to translation (I've gotta admit my exposure to Bloodborne is limited strictly to having played the other Souls games).

>I'd probably drop Hit Locations, since that would require tracking separate HP totals for each body part. It's easy when you're dealing with Wound Boxes, not so much when we're talking double digit numbers. Plus it's not as if a Souls game ever cared about where you hit something apart from backstabbing.

The thing to keep in mind if you go this route is that scaling things up will require you to make alterations to pretty much every aspect of the system that interacts with those mechanics, spending willpower to mitigate damage isn't quite as much of a draw if the damage outstrips it so much and the like. By a similar principle it's important to keep track of how much adding static bonuses to the system effects the resolution mechanic (ie. d20+5 vs a DC grants a significantly greater degree of the outcome to the dice roll than d20+50).

It's not impossible to pull off, but it will make it more difficult to crib from other sources.
>>
>>45082586
Well the good thing about ORE is that no matter how high your stats are you only ever roll 10d at maximum.

I figure your basic X+Y stats won't change too heavily, or if they do will require a substantive investment of Souls. Most of what you'd be spending points on is upgrading secondary stats that do things like add points to your damage or defense.

It would need a lot more thought put into it but I'll admit I'm a little excited at the idea.
>>
>>45082342

My idea was that I was going to have the world basically be unrecognizable save for some cultures being similar enough on the surface it feels familiar. Since humans developed talents sometime in ancient history a lot of research and religions revolve around talents and their use and such.

The "setting" the PC's live in is a large developed nation called Erickas. It's developed technology to the point there are things like computers and televisions and cars but talents are more or less a staple of the way of life.

The main religions are:

1) The Prime Church. According to them their church was founded by "The First Talent". A human who was said to have performed talents beyond our scope and comprehension. Their doctrine primarily revolves around the ethical use of Talents and they're the primary religion of the nation. They were pretty strong 400 years ago but since splintered off into roughly 4 different branches. The Heritagists, the Seperationists, the New Bringing and the Literalists.

2) The Wisen: Who hold a mandate that ANY usage or display of a talent is in direct opposition to the Mother. Initially they were incredibly staunchly against Talent usage to the point that members of the church who used them openly faced some rather medieval punishment. But thankfully nowadays they just speak to their local Keeper about "moments of weakness" and ask for pardon.

3) The Shapers: Who believe that ones talents are a window into the soul of an individual and that people with certain talents are simply more or less suited to certain positions in life. They're a foreign faith from overseas like the Wisen and they believe that through prayer, practicing the ways of Shaping and harmony that one can either change their talent in a new life and become something greater.
>>
>>45082664
Are talents genetic or totally random? Like would the son of two flamesprayers have a fire talent, or would have have something totally different?
>>
>>45082812

A lot of the time they're "random" but there are a lot of superstitions that people born to certain talent members will still have talents that either reflect their parents or keep to a similar theme. Sometimes these are stretches though.

Like you'll get new-age hippie types who note a guy who can spray flame and be like "Could your dad spray flame too?" and if you answer with "no he could fly" they'll explain how you shooting fire is another form of propulsion that sends people away much like how he could send himself away.

It also doesn't help that when a child is born with the same or similar talent as their parent it sometimes makes news or talk shows which continues to perpetuate this perception.
>>
>>45082557
>first ORE thread I've seen here in months.
Because normally they start, everyone says how much they enjoy it, a few people talk about what they are doing or have done, then it stops.
Without editions wars, anti-ORE posters, and shitposting in general it doesn't stick around.
>>
>>45084678
So what you're saying is that ORE is just too good for this board then. I can agree with that.

>>45082875
That's actually a sweet idea that's definitely got my attention; like there does appear to be a genetic component but its mechanism is practically alchemical-- half psuedoscience, half philosophy.
>>
bump for interest
>>
So here's a couple things that I've been working on for my ORE Homebrew:

>https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=DOGFIGHTING.docx
This is the spacecraft combat system that I referenced here >>45071813. It's pretty abstract, using a sort of range band system, but I'm hoping that it works as smoothly as I intend.

>https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=NEW+ADVANTAGES.pdf
These are some specific Advantages I made for using REIGN's system for sci-fi. In particular Implanted Weapon replaces Cannibal Smile. Robot Sidekick doesn't replace Animal Companion-- you can have both or either.
>>
>>45087871
Neither of those are accessible, you might have to alter a setting somewhere.
>>
>>45088415
Try these:

>https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0lxa1jahxzfrvc/DOGFIGHTING.docx?dl=0
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0fceh20poud9qd/NEW%20ADVANTAGES.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>45088499
Gracias, I'll have a looksee.
>>
>>45088597
Appreciate it. It's hard to get feedback on ORE homebrew stuff.
>>
>>45088801
I really like the dogfighting rules, can't find anything bad that sticks out about them. It might get a bit hairy with multiple combatants but I think that's an inevitability with an abstracted system.

On the topic of multiple combatants how about a Defensive Barnstorming maneuver to endanger pursuers by leading them through a tight space in an appropriate environment?
>>
>>45089204
Oh yeah, absolutely; that's actually the one tactical advantage of being pursued: that anyone following you needs to make the same maneuvers that you do to stay locked in. So you can drag them through an asteroid field or into range of your mothership's anti-interceptor guns.
>>
Not trying to make this into a thread about my stuff, but something else I'd love some feedback on is the system I'm using that combines Wild Talent's Powers with REIGN's magic and Esoteric Disciplines into a single monstrosity called Marvels.

>https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9zhrpfeyfj5ecj/MARVELS-REVISED.docx?dl=0

It's about 10 pages long but it's mostly lists; I'm not really looking for an in depth critique of the system as that would be pretty time consuming, more a general impression and if I presented it in a clear enough way.
>>
>>45091541
yes
>>
Does anyone have PDFs they can post?
>>
Anybody used the Pursuit & Evasion rules in Reign? Anybody like them?

I've given them a shot, but it ends up with us just choosing largely the same skill-checks and playing rock paper scissors. Like, you set up a rooftop chase, and the number of relevant skills are pretty limited. They're either going to athletics, climb, or run. Maybe they climb down to a busy street or something, but even then you've still got those basic three and maybe a bluff or intimidate roll to herd the crowd. It doesn't seem particularly dynamic, and--especially with low dice-pools--it seems to take forever.

I get that you're supposed to be unexpected with your skill checks and that trumps are supposed to speed it up, but that's hard to do. Some skills are going to be extremely rarely applicable, and some are applicable in just about any situation. If you've got a high Run skill, you're pretty much never going to go wrong picking Run, even if the guy trumps you because of it.
>>
>>45094248
That's up to the GM's skill in any game.

Pace cannot be molded in rules. Rules can only hurt it. The trick is to preserve the random factor of challenges while also sustaining the speed of the story and keeping it interesting.
>>
>>45094248
I've done it a couple times in WT; one where characters where chasing a villain down a corridor while he was throwing obstacles in their way, and another where they were fleeing through a sewer connected to a government facility; other times they were more variations where the PCs were navigating an area trying to reach a destination and accumulate a certain amount of Width in progress while I was rolling against them using a certain amount of Threat Dice to produce obstacles to hinder them. It's worked out pretty well and I've found that the randomness of Threat Dice makes things nicely dynamic.

Recently, me and my players worked out a really interesting system for exploring hostile areas. The GM puts together a map with up to 10 main areas that can be freely traversed. Then you have pools of different colored dice that you roll each time the players try to move from one area to another, each color representing a kind of NPC/enemy they might encounter in the area or in neighboring areas. I used to to simulate the patrol routes of guards in a russian mafia hideout and it worked kind of amazingly well.
>>
Hellu, I'm kinda green and wanting to get into tabletops and this thread caught my attention, the games sounds interesting and enjoyable. Would you recommend these ORE games for starting out?
>>
>>45097092
What kind of game are you after? A specific genre or style?
>>
>>45097125
Honestly I have no issues with genre, fantasy to cyberpunk it don't matter much to me.

I have to say REIGN is really grabbing my attention at the moment, I'm about to skim through a PDF, the idea of running large groups of people either strikes a cord in me. Might be my inner tyrant but I have meds that should be keeping my megalomania in check.

Better Angels also looks good, being a villain always appealed to me, but I haven't gotten a better look at it yet.
>>
>>45097280
There's basically two strains of the ORE system. The stat+skill based resolution found in Reign, Wild Talents and Godlike and the primary stat+sub-stat based on opposing dualities and a system of adjusting capabilities based on character action, found in A Dirty World and Better Angels.

The important thing to take into account with Reign's group rules is that they're best used to simulate groups of proximate size. Otherwise you end up with situations where a gigantic empire can be picked to pieces by tiny bandit groups that barely qualify.
>>
>>45097661
You always play on the level of the party. If there's an empire and the party are a gang of thieves, then the empire is represented by settlements, garrisons, or other subunits.
>>
>>45097661
>Otherwise you end...... andit groups that barely qualify.

That sounds like it would be embarrassing and horrible to witness.

So of the two systems which would you say is the easier one to start with?
>>
>>45097790
Ah, that is actually a very sound way to do things. So as the party levels, do the lower level sub units get replaced with a higher equivalent unit? Or do they remain in place even as you level up?
>>
How would you handle a mechwarrior-like setting with these rules? In looking over the Mecha rules they already have, it seems that most mechs would be overpowered or very anime-esque.
>>
>>45097852
ORE Mecha is made to play giant anime robos. If you want actual Mechwarrior you can actually play the Battletech RPG. It's great for MW but a bad RPG.

If you want it good you're going to have to make it. ORE Mecha can be a starting point, but not the extent of it.
>>
>>45097790
Absolutely, that was the intended point.

>>45097844
I don't believe there is rules support for this, but I could be mistaken. If you, for example, unite the valley tribes into a single kingdom the mountain raiders and river pirates become less of a immediate concern, environmental hazards rather than existential threats now that you have a standing army. Even if you wanted to deal with it directly, it's a problem better delegated to someone else because now you have to worry about establishing trade and diplomatic relations with the old kingdoms to the south who think you're a bunch of backwards savages.

The way I would handle this in mechanical terms is recreating the units with smaller numerical values based on the strengths of their components on the understanding that this is a representation relative to the size of the pond they're in. The game zooms out and is the same, but on a broader scale and for higher stakes.

>>45097805
Honestly, they're each built to a genre of play and have their own little quirks (but are pretty homebrew friendly). I would let the type of game you want to play dictate that choice starting out.
>>
>>45098747
>I don't believe there is rules support for this...but on a broader scale and for higher stakes.

Ah, very informative. I like when people can properly explain things like this. That was very helpful.

>Honestly, they're each built to a genre...

Well then I guess REIGN it is for starters.
>>
>>45099035
Get Enchiridion. All the rules, none of the fluff.
>>
So does anyone have a link to a combat example? I'm going off the toolkit and the Enchiridion, and i'm having a bit of trouble understanding it.

What I'm seeing:

Step One: People declare actions, from the slowest person to the fastest.

Step Two: People roll dice, width determines when things actually happen so Step One pretty much means nothing.

Step Three: Resolve... in what order? Order of Step Two? Or Step One?

I'm loving every other bit of ORE i'm reading, but I think I'm too dumb to handle the combat as a GM.
>>
>>45099163
It is important to declare first because that determines your dice pool, the order is irrelevant.

Then you are free to say everyone goes on their width, the order remains for the whole battle, NPCs all move at once, left to right around the table. Whatever works for you.

The most mechanical way is by width every round.
>>
>>45099163
Phase One - Declare
People declare actions, in ascending order of their Sense stat. People who are more aware of what's going on around them have a better chance at co-opting people who aren't.

Phase Two - Roll
Everyone assembles their dicepools and rolls.

Phase Three - Resolution
Actions go off in descending order of width, with height acting as a tie breaker (ie. 4x5 beats 2x8 beats 2x6). This means things will get a bit chaotic and never go quite as people planned, the guy you were shooting at might make it through the door and outside even if you declared after him.
>>
>>45099114

The fluff is baller though.
>>
>>45099308
No contest.
>>
>>45099283

Okay, I'm gonna see if I can work this out.

Bubba, Cletus, and Durcel are visiting the big city, and get into a dust up with three of the town guard.

Thanks to the magic of Imagination, Order of declaration is as follows:

Guard2 - Club Cletus
Guard3 - Bash Bubba
Bubba - Shank Guard3
Guard1 - Call for Backup
Cletus - Run away
Durcel - Fisticuffs, Guard2

Dice pools are assembled, and rolled. We end up with the following order:

Durcel 4x7
Guard 3 4dx6
Cletus 3x4
Guard 2 3x2
Guard 1 2x4
Bubba 2x1

Now, how does this affect the declared actions?
>>
>>45099163

Step One:

>Ted: I'm going to try to attack and parry
>Steve: I'm going to throw a dagger at his head
>GM: Bad guy's going to try to dodge and attack

It's important that everyone says what they're doing before dice hit the table, because you roll different dice depending on what you're doing. Ted is going to pick whichever skill he's worst at (attacking or parrying) and roll that pool, minus one die for the multiple action. The GM character is going to do the same. Steve's going to make a called shot, which means he loses one of his dice and then gets to set another one to whatever location he feels like (in this case location 10, the head).

Step Two: Everybody rolls

>Ted gets 2,5,5,8,9,10
>Steve gets 2,4,5,10, and he set aside another die as a 10 because of his called shot, giving him a pair of 10s
>The GM's bad guy rolls 3,3,3,6,6

Step Three: Figure out what the fuck just happened

Combat is resolved by width (how many of a kind you got), with height (how high the numbers that came up are) acting as a tie breaker. Three of a kind goes before pairs. A pair of 5s goes before a pair of 4s. So, combat resolves thusly:

>Bad guy got three 3s, he goes first. Decides to use it for his attack, and smacks Steve. Steve has to drop a die from one of his sets, so his head-shot just got foiled.
>Next we move onto the pairs. Steve's pair of 10s would have let him go now, but the bad guy smacked his ass around and he lost it.
>Next is the bad guy's pair of 6s. He's using these to doge, gets two gobble dice set at 6.
>Last is Ted's pair of fives. He was trying to do two actions, but only got one result, so he needs to decide what he's going to use it for. If he uses them for the attack, the bad guy's gobble dice at 6 can foil his pair of 5s. If he uses them to parry, it's too damn late--bad guy already went. Ted you useless sack of shit.

Then everybody grabs up their dice and does it again until somebody gives up, runs away, or dies.
>>
>>45099516
Durcel thumps Guard 1 in the sternum for 4 shock to the torso.
Guard 3 does likewise to Bubba.
Cletus legs it.
Guard 2 takes a swipe at the retreating Cletus but wasn't fast enough (I don't recall whether there are rules for disengaging).
Guard 1s cry for help is choked off as Durcel's blow winds him (he loses a die from his 2x4 set because he was injured).
Bubba, unsteady from Guard 3's blow, misses his dagger stroke (loses a die from his 2x1 set because he was injured).

You just go down the list in the order the set dictate and try to make sense of the chaos. >>45099598 's example is a really good illustration.
>>
>>45099598
>>45099830

These are excellent, thanks Anons. The book could really benefit from a few more detailed examples.
>>
>>45097661
The way that REIGN handles assymetric warfare is that huge empires are represented as several smaller Companies working together, so while a mercenary band can't take on the entire thing at once, they can compromise one part of it enough to have an effect.
>>
Safety bump
>>
>>45102815
>>
>>45102815
WE CAN BUMP IF WE WANT TO
WE CAN LEAVE THOSE CHUMS BEHIND
BECAUSE YOUR CHUMS DON'T BUMP AND IF THEY DON'T BUMP THEN THEY'RE
NO CHUMS OF MINE!
>>
Of course if no one cares...?
>>
>>45110423
I care, kinda.

>>45108413
Nice
>>
>>45068423
>ideas for homebrew
Anyone ever made work not using Width for both speed and damage? Or just changing how the roll reads in any way.
>>
Still tryi g to working out how this whole ethics as stats system in dirty world an better angels works. I do like the idea however.
>>
>>45111985
If you aren't using Hit Locations, and enemies are just big bags of health, you can use Height for damage instead of Width. That's the most directly example of what you're talking about.

REIGN also has examples where attacks deal Shock or Killing equal to the number of your Waste Dice; you could work with that and have Width be speed, Height be location and Waste be Damage.

Of course these make damage much more variable, and the second example in particular could result in a situation where no damage if it's 100% based on your waste dice.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.