[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Double Cross/Japanese TTRPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: Double-Cross.jpg (124KB, 880x912px) Image search: [Google]
Double-Cross.jpg
124KB, 880x912px
The /jrp/ Trove: https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ

>Chat/Scanlation/Sharing room:
https://discord.gg/0lBHRD5AVt6VkYgM

Players:
What are you reading?
What have you bought?
What are you looking to play?

GM:
>Which system do you wish to run
>Campaign summary?
>What's your timezone?
>Voice/Text/PbP?
>Contact info
>What do you look for in new applicants?
>>
A few days ago, something occured to me
If you can get the right mix of solaris, hanuman, and angel halo, you can make a character that's essentially a walking rave
>>
>>45069133
Oh, forgot to include this
What interesting syndrome combinations have you played or thought up?
>>
>>45069169
Solaris/Chimera is my go-to glass canon build, but it all relies on how the gm interprets a couple of rules.

Also, any GMs looking for another player for DX?
>>
File: grancrest sword lord.jpg (301KB, 701x701px) Image search: [Google]
grancrest sword lord.jpg
301KB, 701x701px
Damn, Grancrest owns. More people should talk about it. The way it set up mass combat and abilities is over the top. Basically, your personal skills always goddamn scale, so your special moves and tricks are always army level.

Your sword can set your enemies on fire? Your sword can also set the enemy military unit on fire.

You can instantly cloak yourself in shadow? You can also instantly cloak your entire unit in shadow.

On the off chance that the guy who translated it is here...

>Night Shroud
>This Art gives you the power to spread or extend a part of your body, creating a shield
of gushing blood that you can use to protect one of your allies.
>Make a cover action towards the target. You may make a cover action even if you are
exhausted, and you do not because exhausted as a result of making the cover action. For the
rest of this phase, add your Strength modifier to all of your defense ratings. You may only use
this ability once per phase. At Level 3, increase its range by 1 square.

Isn't this stronger than the equivalent Paladin skill? Particularly the once per phase thing. I'm a bit sad that an Artist is a better tank.
>>
>>45072203
>Personal and army scale
>Weird abilities

Waitwaitwait
Can it do Suikoden?
>>
>>45072203
Grancrest is super awesome, and I love that the setting was done by the Record of Lodoss War guy. But has any book other than the main book been translated? The mass combat rules are in the second book, I thought.
>>
>>45072203
Well to their credit, Undead are supposed to be hard as fuck to kill (erego the name). In the Paladin's defense, they can use their equivalent ability in either position in Mass Combat, though that's the only real advantage it has over Night Shroud.

I do think that the designers might have a slight bias towards Artists too, for what it's worth, not that that's any real defense.
>>
Any night wizard news, either new PDF or storytime?
>>
>>45072278
The army-level stuff is fairly abstracted but it's still pretty neat. Time and distance scales in the game are arbitrary, so it uses the same "squares" and "rounds" measurements in either. There are a bunch of different unit types you can command (archers, shieldbearers, cavalry, military band, etc) and they each give their own bonuses and use of a unique ability to the character leading them. Units track morale and it rises and falls based on things like killing enemy units, as well as being the resource you spend to use their abilities. If you hit 0 morale you lose all the bonuses from the unit. Also you can either lead from the front, which gives you some offensive bonuses (and some character special powers are restricted to only when you're in front), or from the center of the unit, which gives you a big defensive buff but with a decrease in other bonuses. Ultimately you still move the unit with your character as a leader around like you would in individual combat though; it's not the most detailed mass combat system but it also doesn't involve a whole different set of rules and does add a cool dimension to things.

>>45072331
Mass Combat rules are in the basic book.
Second book has new styles, new abilities and spells, more world fluff, extra enemies, expanded details for dead zones (or whatever the heck I translated that as), and some other minor special case rules. I'm super burnt out and don't plan on translating it any time soon, but you absolutely don't need anything in it to play.
>>
>>45072863
Well, shows how much I read through that whole thing (re: mass combat). And yeah man, I know the translation burn out. I did the NW3 stuff and I translated less than you did. I can't even imagine a whole book.

Thank you for your efforts, by the way!
>>
>>45069133
I still find it more hilarious that a pure Solaris can just talk at people and they die
>>
>>45072863
>Squares
So it's grid combat? Or is it like DX's zones?

Because maneuvering units around the battlefield gives me an enormous strategyboner.
>>
Hypothetically, if a morpheus were to use material synthesis on, say, the severed arm if a gjaum, could the weapon it's fused with gain some sort of buff depending on the gjaum's syndrome(s)?
>>
>>45074925
Mechanically no. But if your GM feel like it, hey, seems like some legit animu bullshit.
>>
File: grancrest in play.jpg (499KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
grancrest in play.jpg
499KB, 1024x768px
>>45073060
Grid. Here's a pic I found from the net.

Complete with attacks with certain shapes too. I love that one of the super moves in the game is just a straight up excaliblast. As expected of the style named Saber.
>>
>>45077326
That looks great. I wonder, will the system support large-scale battles or not.

Those figurines, they're angels from Meikyuu Kingdom, aren't they?
>>
File: grancrest eternal soldier.jpg (311KB, 701x701px) Image search: [Google]
grancrest eternal soldier.jpg
311KB, 701x701px
>>45072863
Hey man, I really appreciate the effort you took. Grancrest is awesome. By the way, do you have a link to scans of the book? I'm mainly looking for character art of the styles and classes. All I can find is art of the pregens, and the warosu thread where they were posted is down.

Also if anyone wants to typeset this, most of rulebook 1 is up for free on the Grancrest site except for the character construction rules.
>>
File: taiyo.jpg (397KB, 1128x750px) Image search: [Google]
taiyo.jpg
397KB, 1128x750px
>>45077387
It's the Tower of the Sun, located in Osaka. Mayokin's "Archangel" is probably based on it though.
>>
>>45077387
Mass combat is fairly abstract, so a force can probably be as many npc soldiers as you want. The only problem I see is that force units are basically "items" in the sense that they are collections of HP and attribute bonuses plus special skills. That means the only real units in the field that will matter is those that are led by a PC. For NPC forces, I guess you can use an NPC to lead them, or just use enemy mob stats.
>>
>>45077662
If I recall, mobs (basically there are no "weak" enemies; since PCs are already superhuman level in power, low-level enemies like bandits or goblins already count as appearing in groups even if there's only "one" of them) specifically get bonuses in mass combat to bring them up to scale with PC units. Or you can probably take the mass combat rules and have PCs fight against a couple dragons or giants or stuff like that too, obviously. I personally kinda like the image of suffering force collapse from low morale as the rest of your soldiers run like fuck after the dragon just eats the fuck out of them. I'm pretty sure there's also a rule where large-sized monsters don't suffer any penalties in mass combat for appearing by themselves, so that's kind of intended.
>>
>>45075860
Hopefully, I had this idea for an orcus/morpheus combo that combines elements of his domain with his weapons
if I can't actually do this, let me know, I don't have the book yet, just some detailed descriptions
>>
>>45072203
>>45072863
I should really check this game out. Sounds neat. You guys have a link to the translation?
>>
File: grancrest rev.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
grancrest rev.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>45079440
>>
>>45079713
Thanks.
>>
Does anybody have Double Cross raw? I looked up on mega provided but there's only the translated one.
>>
>>45072854
>Any night wizard news, either new PDF or storytime?
It's probably dead.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfECBvkdHZA
>>
>>45072203
For some reason, I always read "Grancrest" as "Grancest" and the worst things flood my mind.
>>
File: bagman.png (173KB, 313x432px) Image search: [Google]
bagman.png
173KB, 313x432px
>>45077641
What the hell is a Bagman supposed to be?

Also I really like this artist a lot
>>
>>45079713
Sweet anon, Ill have to look over this
>>
>>45084355
Looks like a guy with a bird head to me
>>
>>45084355
And it's an angel monster
>>
>>45084355
I could swear that this is a reference to some weird ass movie that I saw a long time ago (early 2000s), but I can't remember its name or really anything about it except that it had these weird guys in suits and pointed masks like that. I've actually been trying to find the movie for an age now, but since I remember fuck all about it I haven't had any luck. I'm pretty sure it was Japanese, and that it had the same director as some other movie I liked (which is why I watched it in the first place); I had thought it was Shinya Tsukamoto (director of Tetsuo: The Iron Man) but peeking through his filmography reveals nothing.
>>
>>45086779
I thought it was a Chicken George reference.

I guess if I could read the flavor text I might be able to guess the reference, but I can't
>>
>>45084355
The bird head might be a reference to the kanji reading, as it starts with "tori" which means bird.
>>
File: Plague_doctor_Wellcome_L0025222.jpg (1MB, 1144x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Plague_doctor_Wellcome_L0025222.jpg
1MB, 1144x1558px
>>45086996
>An angel dressed in the style of the Capitalistic Holy Republic of HAGLMA. They call him a debt collector but no one is quite sure what debt it is he comes to collect. However, he only seems to appear at the entrances to homes whose occupants are close to death.
Nothing particularly revealing there. Could just be a general reference to plague doctor outfit too.
>>
I'm almost learning Japanese just to be able to read the hundreds of board games and RPGs that are never getting a proper translation.

But I can't find any good guides and courses focused primarily in READING instead of speech first, probably because most people learn it either to visit the country or because they're huge weeaboos who want to watch animay with no subs.
>>
File: cplarOi.jpg (159KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
cplarOi.jpg
159KB, 500x750px
>>45077641
It's in fact a giant robot in disguise.
>>
>>45087295
Well yeah, but so is everything else in Japan.
>>
>>45087186
Well that does fuck all.

Pretty neat flavor text though.

I wish that draft had the setting info translated
>>
Is there an Alshard translation available?
>>
>>45089444
Nooooope.
>>
Alshard Gaia looks like such a clusterfuck.
>>
>>45087212
Speech is important, especially with nipspeak.
>>
>>45089444
>dis nigga
>>
>>45072203
>tfw no group
This sounds like everything I want in a Fantasy game.
>>
>>45069169
Kerberos.
Chimera/Salamandra/Orcus Tri-Breed.
>>
>>45077641
...that's one of those D-Reaper marionettes.
Never thought they were based on something like that.
>>
Where can I find japanese (raw) rulebooks? The mega link provided on the first post contains almost nothing.
>>
>>45095533
Shesh, that surely has no reason beyond people just not feeling like it.
>>
How do I build a strong Tri Breed in DX? They just don't seem worth it.
>>
>>45079713
>_rev
Wait, did this get revised?
>>
>>45099584
nothing major
>>
what do you think your syndrome(s) would be?
>>
>>45099782
What would I want?
Morpheus/Black Dog. Fuck yeah simple powers.

What would I probably get?
Pure Solaris, my body is already trying to kill me, now it's an outright poison factory
>>
>>45100124
dude, just figure out how to vent aphrodisiacs from your pores at will, instant orgy whenever you want
>>
>>45099337
Simple Power skill monkey with your few Major Powers built around one good combo.
>>
>>45101462
>Simple Power

Huh. I didn't really consider that. Simple Powers really are fun as long as the GM encourages player creativity.
>>
>>45079713
Reading the rulebook carefully I now realize PCs will usually roll 2d6 for most skill checks and 3d6 for the specialties damn near every time. You don't advance your skills when you level up, you just gain abilities.

That's interesting and makes all those abilities with flat bonuses to skills much more worth it.
>>
>>45100124
what i'd want: morpheus, orcus, or hanuman, in no particular ombination
what i'd get: exile, bram stoker, or a mix of both
>>
>>45101248
But I don't WANT to do that. I have negative interest in doing something like that.
>>
>>45105206
Okay then, I'm sure there's some way you can find a use for them
>>
>>45105432
Your powers, I mean
>>
>>45079713
Thanks!
Now i only need to find people to play with.
>>
File: 17.jpg (2MB, 2132x2984px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
2MB, 2132x2984px
>>45072863
>Leading from the front or center has different mechanical effects.
I like this. The game sounds like it has just enough crunch in mass combat to feel different from single combat, without getting bogged down by having two different combat systems.
>>
>>45107268

On the low right. Is that a young Albert Einstein, playing dice?
>>
>>45107268
>cleric'ss fw
>fukken HELL, what am I wearing, I'm serving the goddess of purity, for crying out loud
>>
>>45107268
Should I play Suikoden? I feel like I should probably play Suikoden.
>>
>>45108238
The earlier ones, definitely. Suikoden IV has... problems.

Suikoden II is the highlight of the series for many.
>>
>>45108238
You should feel like playing Suikoden. Except IV, that one's pants.
>>
>>45108340
LUCA BLIGHT BATTLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bV9Lx5SFI
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.