[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Men playing women

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 21

File: Twi' lek Smuggler.jpg (478KB, 980x980px) Image search: [Google]
Twi' lek Smuggler.jpg
478KB, 980x980px
Alright /tg/, i heres whats up.

in our EoTE game our crew wound up saving a number of Twi'leks from slavery, one was an young orphan, (comparable to 8-10 year old girl), and my character a human smuggler wound up taking her under my wing since A: made the most sense because rest of crew is composed of a Wookie, a Rodian, a Gand, and a Chodrafan; my character being a human smuggler, and B: i was the only one that really interacted with her since we let her stay aboard the ship, ships mascot yadda yadda.

i had the idea to bring her into the next campaign as the adult version raised by her adopted father (my character) and figure it would make for a nice story, the only problem is i still have this hang up about men playing female characters. figured i could come here for some advice.

>Tl;Dr: men playing female characters: ethics and motivations to do so thread.
>>
>IRL

Don't do it.

>Online

Have fun.
>>
If he describes her chest as anything other than busty or flat he gets the boot
>>
>>45045121
This desu. Don't do it in a RL game, it's awkward for everyone involved. No, there is no justification for it, despite what that-guys with gender-identity issues will tell you.
>>
If you feel comfortable and the rest of the group feels comfortable, it should be fine. Honestly, it does sound like good story progression and makes sense-if I was in your group I wouldn't think you were doing it for any weird reason.
>>
>>45045121
/thread
>>
>>45045121
>Don't do it IRL.

Shit. At least everyone in the party thinks my character's a guy.
>>
Don't listen to these guys. Never come to 4chan for this kind of question. Play whatever fucking character you want. It's a great idea and, unless you're playing with a bunch of prats, it'll go fine.
>>
>>45045226
Don't listen to this faggot. Always come to 4chan for this kind of question. Don't play a gender you aren't. It's a bad idea, and even if you aren't playing with prats, it will still be weird.
>>
For me to be okay with it IRL there needs to be a fucking amazing reason. I've never had someone with a good enough reason.

Ran a Shadowrun game with a dude playing a female phys adept and he was fine. Didn't do anything creepy, didn't play up his characters sexuality or anything like that, she was actually described as below average in looks. It was STILL weird because at that point why the fuck don't you just play a dude.

Basically here's what it boils down to. Either you playing a character that is not your own gender is going to be relevant to that character, in which case it's going to be awkward, annoying, and weird (either way, women playing male characters sucks just as bad). Or it ISNT going to be relevant in which case why bother.
>>
>>45045113
Most people will do it just fine and not cause any trouble. But it might be worth raining on the normal human beings' parades just to avoid the sheer degree of awkwardness that certain types of people who do this will bring to the table. Because man some guys can get so fucking creepy with it it's hard to believe.
>>
There's no problem with playing a chick.
>>
>>45045113
Advice? Simple.

You are being a little bitch about this.

Stop being a little bitch about this.
>>
>>45045174

This is false. I play mostly male characters in my RL group yet one of my most memorable/liked characters by the group was a female gypsy witch.

Granted, I'd also GM'd for this same group off and on so they were all used to me playing as female NPC's when they came up. But that doesn't matter as long as your group isn't a bunch of manchildren with crippling insecurities. Better than RL vs online would be to ask why do you think the character you're making should be a girl

>Cause boner

Don't do it

>Works best for the character

Do it, but only if both you and your group aren't awkward fucks.
>>
Dudes playing female characters is almost always awful. I'd be potentially okay with a gay as fuck dude playing a chick but generally speaking playing a character of a gender that you're attracted to, that is likely going to be attractive in some way (let's face it hardly anyone wants to play an ugly chick, and if they do it's probably their fetish) so it's going to get weird FAST.

Now the reason behind this is because, at the risk of sounding really fucking annoying, 99.9999% chance you can't act as a member of the opposite gender in a convincing, non-sexualized manner in an improv setting. Even fantastic writers tend to write better characters of their own gender because the genders are really fucking different.
>>
Oh great it's this thread.
>>
I had to check I hadn't accidentally ended up in /v/ talking about an rpg
>>
>>45045307
The problem is ">cause boner" is always the reason, even when people can't admit that much to themselves.
>>
>>45045113
It just depends how far you go.

Most of time my group forgets women are women because it usually doesn't come up save for the rare seduction rolls or important dudes coming onto you for GM keks.
>>
>>45045329
Do you play with middle schoolers or something?
>>
>>45045329
What if they're gay?
>>
>>45045310

I'm not a fan of that way of thinking, because it tends to discourage anyone of any gender playing another gender out of fear that they'll "do it wrong".
>>
>>45045351
No, do you? I play with people mature enough to not lie to themselves. I could go on a rant why, but >>45045310 pretty much sums it up.
>>
>>45045310

This is the mentality that creates and is perpetuated by homophobes. They cannot conceive of NOT wanting to fuck something they could potentially be attracted to, or at the very least find themselves incapable of not, in some way, acting on the desire, so gay dudes are fucking terrifying because obviously gay dudes just wanna rape them.

Straight dudes are fucking weak, basically.
>>
>>45045329
Fuck off and die Virt.
>>
>>45045174

Kind of amusing how playing a straight up muderer is less awkward to some dudes over playing a chick (of any background) 8-P.
>>
>>45045329
You'd think people in an inherently creative hobby wouldn't have such a narrow perspective.
>>
>>45045395

This is a rather small pool of gamers. Keep that in mind.
>>
File: 1.png (73KB, 755x1255px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
73KB, 755x1255px
>>45045404
>>
>>45045395
Sure, there's creativity... then there's just stupid fanservice.

Guys playing female characters is the latter 90% of the time. It's even worse because tHat Guys almost never realize they're That Guy. Just don't do it.
>>
>>45045369
That dude basically said it's never really convincing or its really weird if it is.

You're basically saying it's because no one can control their boner and openly fap to their characters in their spare time.
>>
File: 1350283591621.png (60KB, 565x562px) Image search: [Google]
1350283591621.png
60KB, 565x562px
>>45045445
>fanservice
Nigga, what?
>>
>>45045113

IME it's fine. So long as you don't go overboard for fanservice, most reasonable people aren't going to make a fuss over your choice.
>>
File: wickedwitchoz.jpg (36KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
wickedwitchoz.jpg
36KB, 640x467px
>>45045369
Witch guy here.
You honestly believe there's no other reason a guy would want to play a female character besides getting off on it? You've never read a book or seen a film that had a female character in it you thought was cool enough to base a character around? You don't believe that predominantly female archetypes, like the witch or femme fetale, might be fun for some people to play despite not sharing the same gender IRL? That's pretty irrational.
>>
Our IRL group is fairly mature, as I said before, the character is a continuation of a NPC the GM brought in initially. Figured it would be good storytelling to bring her in as a PC in the new Game. I am just hung upon how to play it and not come off as That Guy.

Also, /Tg/ should come up with a stamp to sell for character sheets "certified: no boners involved in the making of this character"
>>
>>45045495
Because he is baiting you all. This is a generic bait thread we have had this subject countless times in the past. This is /tg/'s version of do you play female characters in video games
>>
>>45045503
How did your original character raise her?
>>
>>45045503
>I am just hung upon how to play it and not come off as That Guy.

If your group is mature, and you don't act like That Guy, you won't come across as That Guy. If you act like That Guy, or game with people with the average attitude in this thread you will.

Worst case you could talk with people ahead of time and see what they think.
>>
>>45045445
How can you have fanservice in a medium that doesn't rely on anything visual beyond a map and some models?
>>
>>45045174
> it's awkward for everyone involved
No, it is awkward for YOU, and you either lack any kind of empathy to make this judgement or you exclusively play with mentals like yourself.
>>
>>45045519
Ever see the series Defiance? Along those lines. Though for her background im shooting for original character, now moving into old age, was captured on a bounty, she is trying to find him/ possibly avenge him, and that's where she draws some obligation.
>>
File: 1373594768299.jpg (9KB, 252x244px) Image search: [Google]
1373594768299.jpg
9KB, 252x244px
>>45045511
It's probably bait. But even so, some people who've never thought about this topic might read it and not see how stupid it is. Think of the poor, autistic children /tg/.
>>
>>45045495
Sure, there are reasons... but if you have to ask yourself whether playing a female character is "OK" with your group or not, you're better off just not doing it. If you're so invested in doing it anyway that you won;t hear criticisms, then don't come online looking for validation... because the answer you're going to get online is going to be in line with how most people act online... which is making an overly sexualized mockery of the character that's awkward for everyone and being too dense to see it.
>>
>>45045558
The deleted posts in this thread are the most obvious baits.
>>
>>45045121
>IRL
>Don't do it.
The guys in my group play female characters all the time. For some, it's a rarity. For others, it's about 50% of their characters. Either way, nobody gives a shit. We're grown men and can handle such things with maturity.
>>
>>45045310
>99.9999% chance you can't act as a member of the opposite gender in a convincing, non-sexualized manner in an improv setting
There's a 99.999999% chance you can't act as a member of a team of murder hobo adventurers in a convincing manner (much less, an alien or elf). The difference in mindset between you and a girl pales in comparison to the difference between you and somebody who kills for a living.
>>
>>45045564
hold off on the ellipses, it makes you look like a stone cold idiot or some boomer piece of shit who has just learned about shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>45045113
Play anything you want as long as it does not disrupt the game. This is the truth. The concept sounds good enough, if you don't play with idiots there wil be no problem. What, is the GM all of a sudden not allowed to play female NPCs as well? That would be laughable.
The secret is, just know the other players. I have played a female religious fanatic in my group, my friend played a female dragonborn, my ex gf played a male paladin and another friend played a female druid and nothing weird at all ever happened. Not even an hint of the so dreaded magical realm. Play with cool players and you will be able to play whatever you want.
>>
>>45045113
FUCKING DO IT! DO IT FAGGOT! DO IT!

That sounds like a great reason to play a new character.

Unless you are intentionally setting out to have fuck the space pirates then there is nothing that is weird about this. Even if sex, of the fades to black kind, does occur it can still possibly handled maturely depending on the maturity of your group.

"Adopted daughter follows in the footsteps of her father" is a great story and none the worse for having been used before.
>>
>>45045113
How dare you just presume that you can convincingly play a Twi'lek.
>>
>>45045691

Seriously, this. The way people on this board love to pretend they have more in common with a trained killer than a woman is hilarious.
>>
>>45046134
To many people here a girl is far more alien than an elf.
>>
>>45045121
>>45045174

It's only awkward if
a) you are a bad person and thus shits up the character
b) you are playing with absolute shitters
>>
>>45046156
>alien

More like threatening.

It's the whole being judged , found wanting and cast out thing that happens. And If you are brought low then holy fuck does everyone who finds out about the rejection let you know about it.

This sort of thing instils wariness
>>
Question.
Let's say I'm playing a WITCHY FUCKING WITCH.
This witch would naturally fuck with men with various spells to make her seem younger than she really is, as witches often do.
This is acceptable, da?
>>
>tfw end up GMing for a group made up of almost entirely women, all of which you're either related to or have slept with

I've been through some harsh experiences in my days GMing.
>>
9 out of 10 players doing MtF transsexual roleplay is either
>a man roleplaying his idealized dream woman who he wishes to fuuuuck
>a man roleplaying his idealized self who wishes to fuuuuck the other characters (as a girl)
Both are a lot more harmful than merely wanting to play a heroic version of yourself. It's pretty cringe-worthy to see it in action. That said I'm sure it can be done well by an experience, mature, self-aware, and above all intelligent player, but protip that's not you or any of your friends.

t. armchair psychologist who hates embarassing neckbeards
>>
>>45046238
Almost every female character I've seen played by men has either been Old lady, Sassy black lady, Or tank girl.
What's wrong with your group?
>>
>>45046238
>armchair psychologist who hates embarassing neckbeards

So you hate yourself then?
>>
>>45046226
How good are you at concealing the fact that this is your weird fetish under archetypical fairytale behavior?
>>
>>45046256
My weird fetish is some entirely different weird fetish, so I think I'm safe.
>>
>>45045113
Do it man, who gives a fuck. Play her as you would any other character, what changes? Nothing.
>>
>>45045113
Play her as you think you play her.
If you play her as a slut, then she is a slut.
If the other people look at you and ridicule you for playing that character, then fuck those people.
People shouldn't hold anything against you that there character does.
If I made a necromancy and I used animate/raise dead or anything, they shouldn't look at me like I'm the anti Christ and they don't!
Fuck man, just play her as you think she is.

However, if you are playing her in a way that makes no sense for that gender, it's a bit weird. For example if you keep doing guy things that a girl would normally not do ingame (especially if you lend out your female character like the party bicycle and it's way out of character)
>>
>>45045226
/thread
Don't know what the fuck is wrong with the retards saying not to do it, but they have zero business on this board. Probably just idiots leaking out from the quest threads.
>>
>>45046213

What, like this never happened with boys or men in your life? I'm calling bullshit on that one.
>>
>>45045113
I roll everything, including the gender of my character.

I don't play in games where that actually has any meaning, so it's just a cosmetic change. The personalities are more important than gender.
>>
>>45046313
Anon, stop appending bait to everything you say.
>>
>>45046389
He can't hep it. He's a master baiter.
>>
>playing an ancient elf is ok
>playing a weird magic monster race is ok
>playing a marauder that murders and tortures is ok
>playing a female is not ok
stay classy /tg/
>>
>>45046419
But anon /tg/ says each and every one of those things is not okay, varyingly, depending on who you ask.
>>
>>45046373
That's how I GM, female is just a cosmetic change, if you want to make more of it, whatever, if not cool, no judging from me.
>>
Don't play a woman. You'll probably do a worse job than playing as a man.
>>
>>45046389
That was my first post ITT, and you seriously have no business here if you're going to dissuay people from playing a differet gender than their own. That's some "it's only fine to play human characters or you're playing special snowflakes" level of dumb shit. I recall that being a popular bait awhile ago, or at least I hope it was bait.
>>
>>45046459
Anon, that's not the part of your post that was bait and you know it.
>>
>>45046468
Hey, I don't know where these idiots come crawling out of, but I'm allowed to have my theories, aren't?
>>
>>45046478
If your theory includes "I blame it all on (thing that one niche or another on /tg/ likes)" then you are generally baiting.
This goes for quests, anime, D&D, shadowrun, steampunk, cyberpunk, the word punk in general, the list goes on.
>>
>>45046478
>>45046487
Though, more on topic now that that aside is over:
I dunno mayne. /tg/ is still saying pretty much anything other than a human is special snowflake or fetish these days, ladies included. You just gotta learn to discount that section of /tg/, since they aren't productive.
>>
File: 1420355823615.jpg (187KB, 1100x700px) Image search: [Google]
1420355823615.jpg
187KB, 1100x700px
>>45046134
Yep.
>>
>>45046487
Baiting and trolling are conscious effort to upset, and often involve arguing for positions one doesn't hold. I really do think a lot of /tg/s faggotry is due to questfags leaking out, because why wouldn't they venture out into the larger board? I'm not looking to upset anyone, I'm stating my opinion and highlighting how stupid the complaint in question is, by comparing it to another stupid complaint, and by stating how dumb and unconventional thing it is for a fa/tg/guy to say. Deal with it, ignore it, or fuck off.
>>
>>45046527
See, you're actively attempting to start a quest argument here.
Especially the bits where you forget quests have been here for the vast majority of /tg/'s lifespan, and the populace has always been intermingled with /tg/.
>>
>>45046527
You could have chosen the discussion, anon
>>45046507
Instead you chose to try to derail the thread with tribalism.
>>
>>45046544
I'm not derailing anything. I'm not looking to discuss quests and I'm not going to. For some reason, the guy saying I'm baiting and taking up unnecessay shit is the one trying to argue about those things. I'm not interested. And what the fuck is there to discuss, anyway? The answer is obvious to anyone who isn't a goddamn retard, even to the trolls.
>>
>>45046563
>I'm not looking to talk about the thing I brought up!
If that's the case then let's be done with it now.
>>
>>45045113
I don't give a single shit about what gender I play so I just roll for it for fun.
>>
>>45045113
My experience:

Some players can't play a character of the opposite character without being weird and creepy (mostly men playing women, but in one instance a woman playing bishonen yaoi guys). In every instance, these players will have this weird creepiness surface in some other way if you stop them cross-playing. Just kick 'em to the curb, rather than policing what people can play in the name of trying to stop Creepy McWeirdo being creepy and weird.

Since I purged the creepy weirdos and recruited some better players, men-playing-women and women-playing-men haven't been problems. Had a bloke playing a Mexican ghost-hunting grandma, had a chick playing a brick-shithouse barbarian, had a bloke playing a female IG sniper*, had a chick playing a male goblin thief; all went perfectly well.

Oh and I'm currently running an all-Astartes Heresy-era game, so it'd be a bit unfair on the girls in the group if I banned cross-play.

*This did, occasionally, run into the "Oh hell, I forgot John's character is a woman" issue. It wasn't a big deal though.
>>
File: Riyo Chuchi.png (824KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
Riyo Chuchi.png
824KB, 900x667px
Star Wars qt thread?

Senator Chuchi a cute
>>
>>45045113
The majority of my characters are female. Why? I like women better. Seems pretty harmless and other than some shit talking around the table it hasn't caused any problems.
>>
>>45046527
Haven't quest threads been around for nearly five years now?
>>
>>45045174
I used to play female characters a lot, I don't have gender issues, I wasn't bringing up looks or chest or anything, and no, no one was bothered. Our party was roughly a 50/50 mix of male/female players.
So ask your party first if they would have an issue with it, then go for it. If you roleplay as opposed to playing it like a Hollywood switch-gender movie, then there shouldn't be any issues.
>>
File: highdick6.png (552KB, 613x949px) Image search: [Google]
highdick6.png
552KB, 613x949px
My female PCs are about as prone to be emotional trainwrecks as my male ones, it's never really been an issue.

Then again I'm one of those people that's actually glad to be the foreverGM because in practice I'm a terrible player but a great setting-manipulator. If you take that into account I guess it boils down to, 'play whatever the fuck you want, as long as it fits the game, nigga.'
>>
>>45046622
I played with a guy who did this.
I don't personally understand it, as I generally decide male/female by what kind of image do I want to present to the world, and yes, gender does matter when it comes to fulfilling the vision in my mind.
>>
>>45045113
>raised by men
>likely on a spaceship
>where women were infrequent and temporary
>surrounded by people doing manly spaceship things like being dirty and working with the ship's machinery

Yeah just play her like you would a human man, but with a personality that reflects her upbringing. Environment is a pretty big factor to how one's worldview works.

Hell, she might not think of herself as a woman (instead preferring to see herself as an engineer, a smuggler, or what have you and her gender is an irrelevant component of her identity) or even identify as a man, for all we know or care. Just do what makes it comfy for you bruh.
>>
>>45046638
I partially do that as well, most spell casters are female for me(and I tend to play a lot of casters so...). Rogue-types will go either way and fighters are usually male. I am aware that is is fairly sexist in thought, doesn't really bother me though.
>>
>>45045113
>Playing as the orphaned Twi'lek, now all grown up, raised by a badass smuggler

This is fucking amazing, dude. It already has a lot of potential for excellent story building, why the fuck WOULDN'T you do it, just because a bunch of neckbeards on a Chinese Cartoons forum told you not to.

Don't fuck around with your voice too much. It just makes it sound like your character's in drag, which ruins the immersion. Just use your normal voice, albeit only slightly higher.
>>
>>45046638
I know how you feel. For me, the male characters are usually quiet and not too emotional, but iron-willed and usually the voice of reason. In contrast, my female characters are more emotional and outgoing, and a bit more likely to make rash judgements.

I've tried changing this, and I've had some success in making intentionally outgoing and silly male characters, but so far all my female characters have been pretty much the same.
>>
>plays as a female character
>very rational, not a slave of her feelings, not bipolar at all
>basically behaves as a man
>"Oh, but I have a vagina when it's convenient"
>is lesbian, or at least bisexual

Literally everytime, don't let beta nerds play females, it's embarassing.
>>
>>45046666
To be blunt I think that anyone who, say, took the time to analyze your character creation patterns and conclude that you were sexist would kind of be an asshole. I mean everyone has some level of internalized tendencies over this stuff, and it's often biased towards what we identify as comfortable in that selected role. But it's a Role-Playing Game, if you weren't allowed to do that how you generally saw fit then what would even be the point?

Recognizing patterns you follow is a good bit of self reflection, though.
>>
>>45046685
*blink*

Wow.

You suck.
>>
File: 1441058385256.jpg (40KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1441058385256.jpg
40KB, 500x333px
>>45046685
>he's never played an RPG with well-socialized humans

Out here on the streets, people who understand how to interact with one another will create characters that aren't designed to be fodder for That-Guy threads.
>>
>>45046690
Gosh anon, good points.
>>
>>45045113
> y playing x
RPGs are all about PRETENDING to be something that you aren't. If I wanted to play a disgusting piece of shit instead of an devout guardsman I would just live my life.

You can RP if you want to
You can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't RP
And if they don't RP
Well they're no friends of mine
>>
>>45046699
>*blink*
You may be right but you're also oh so wrong.
>>
Would you let your party play non-humans? Aliens, orks etc?
If so, why not girls? or vice-versa?
If they can roleplay non-humans properly, then they'll have no problems playing a girl with no silly issues. If they roleplay their non-humans the same as their humans, then they might have issues, but that's only because of their roleplaying ability.

After all, as many anon have said, this is roleplaying, so why the hell not?
>>
Have sex with "her" OP.
>>
I, as a guy, have played female characters before. Initially, the DM raised an eyebrow, but let it happen. She was the most story-driven character I've made. After that, people were fine with it.

Make a good character and people will like it. Make a fetish monster and you'll have a problem.
>>
>>45046783
Are you approving of the SJWery but disapproving of the asterisk-actioning? Because otherwise I am confused.
>>
>>45046685
>all women are slaves to their emotions
>all men are stoic logic robots
Agreed my good sir! *tips fedora*
>>
>>45046910
Are your standards for SJW really "believes women are capable of actual thought."?
>>
>>45046910
Fuck off, ye newfag from/v/ or /r9k/.
>>
You people have serious issues. Why would a guy playing a girl have any effect on anything? Unless he is being a creepy perv, in which case you shouldn't be playing with him at all.

I'm about 50/50 with my character's genders and this has never been an issue with anyone.

tl;dr stop being a socially retarded creep and no one will care.
>>
File: quest timeline.png (890KB, 1303x1351px) Image search: [Google]
quest timeline.png
890KB, 1303x1351px
>>45046628
>Haven't quest threads been around for nearly five years now?

Or something like that.

Longer than most of the people who complain about them, anyway.
>>
Just do it and don't try to act like a girl, just act like a people. Especially since she was raised by a guy, she doesn't have to be feminine. She a normal person, act like one. Men playing women only sucks if they try to be really sexual with it or make the whole character's existence about their gender.

Be warned, other players will think it's funny to hit on you or make comments like "haha seduce the guards" and shit they normally wouldn't even consider. The DM might also have npcs treat you differently, and put you into more romantic and sexual situations you normally would never see. It all depends on the group, but many male gamers can't quite wrap their heads around the idea that women are people. I know that sounds stupid but they really do see female and put them into this box where she's only good as a reward for male characters or something that has sex etc.

I'm not trying to generalise, I'm simply speaking from experience. I'm a girl and this happens when i play girls but never guys. Once my husband made a girl character and the same mlady shit happened so i think it's the characters that cause it. Idk just be aware. But you should do it. It sounds like a great character idea and even if uncomfortable things happen you might learn something or change your own ideas about female characters and be more aware of how you treat them in the future. Though it sounds like you're alright on that score.

Good luck anon
>>
>>45045262

Because why the fuck not? And he does have a reason. A good one.
>>
>>45045113
The disparity of opinions and suggestions you're getting should be a pretty exhaustive answer to your question, OP.
For some people it's fine.
For other people it isn't.
And you want to have good times with your friends at the table, so what really matters isn't what is good or boad in theory, but what's right or wrong with and for your group. Because there's no point in playing a character that /tg/ believes legitimate and good if your friends are going to hate it, or in NOT playing a character /tg/ despises if your group would instead have fun with it.
Just judge based on your friends then, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>45045121
First post is the best post
>>
>>45047079
For you.
Apparently, not to a lot of other people.
>>
File: 1453837139660.jpg (177KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453837139660.jpg
177KB, 500x500px
>>45045113
If someone can play a huge sweating mass of fur who only speaks in grunts and weird ass noises who walk around naked all the time, you can play a damn human female.

It's a pretty good character concept too, who else better to play her than the man who played the guy who raised her?
Just don't try to fake a female voice's pitch (unless you're the 1% who are really good at it) or describe your character rubbing her clit against the enemy's blaster and it'll all be fine
>>
>>45045113
There is no problem if everyone has fun.
>>
Playing the opposite gender really isn't a big deal, all you gotta do is follow one of these two simple guidelines:

A) Discuss it with your group beforehand to make sure none of them are uncomfortable about that sort of thing. It sucks if they are and it's really their problem, but it's still probably not worth causing a fight over, so see how your group feels.

B) OR be that one guy in every other group with the truly phenomonal voices, the one who winds up forever-GM when you finally convince him to give running a game a try because dude has crazy range and vocal control. If you're one of these, it's possible, though not recommended, to skip A).
>>
>be male
>have played female character in literally every game i've ever played ever

>didn't bother anyone

Nobody cares.
>>
I rarely really "pick" my characters gender.

It sounds way too mechanical a progress the way here people describe it.

The gender usually comes together with the inspiration and the idea of the character and is kind of simply part of them "as a person."

Changing it to suit some non-character related reasons seems awkward and unnecessary.
>>
>>45046277
What are supposed to be these "guy things" a girl wouldn't do? I'm genuinely curious.

>I've had the inverse problem
>wanted to play male PCs, but people are somehow not ok with it
>I decided to play characters with gender neutral names, that way I can role play whatever I want and they can think whatever they want about the character too.
>>
>>45045113
As long as the players don't have any weird hang-ups or issues and aren't going to be giant weirdos about it, I'd say it's no big deal.
>>
In the campaign I started up recently, I've invited half of my old group, and the other half are 'normies' for lack of a better word. They don't really know about RPGs but they know they like hanging out with us as a friend group and like trying activities with us.

One of the normies decided to play as a woman, and I was pretty adamant that he shouldn't, especially given that 1) it was his first foray into RPGs and 2) one of my old group members is a radical feminist who I was sure would kick the shit out of him if he didn't play as a woman in the right way.

When we finally got round to playing, he didn't actually just walk around seducing everything or acting out some kind of fetish, but the defining trait of his character was stoicism, and amazing our group radfem didn't bitchsmack him. I still don't know why his character needed to be female but he's not annoyed anyone with it.

I think the key thing is don't make your character defined by their gender. There's always race for that if you want to be lazy.
>>
>>45045113
Play them the same as you would any other character.

Dont describe a ''heaving chest'' unless youd also describe a male characters ''taut pecs'' or something.

Beyond that, play whatever you want. Me, personally, I flip a coin to decide gender but then I use dice to decide almost all physical stuff. I'll choose 4 hair colours and roll a 1d4, Ill choose 4 eye colours and do the same, etc etc.
>>
>>45045113
Personally, I think it's fine. As long as you don't make it wierd, but that applies to anything does it not?
>>
>>45049286
"Heaving chest" means you're breathing so heavily your chest expands and contracts more than usual. It's something used to describe both men and women.
>>
>>45049850
Yeah but I've never seen someone use it for a guy, I usually see it used to describe a girl.

Same with the pecs thing, technically applicable to both but I've only really seen it used in reference to dudes.

Either way, its pretty obvious what I was saying, wouldn't ya think?
>>
>>45045113
Normally I say no since it's always fetish reasons, but since this character was introduced as an npc first and you just want to do it for character progression, I think it's fine. If you just showed up with a brand new female character then usually I would say no.
>>
>>45049850
Or that your breasts are so big the smallest breath makes them jiggle and bounce.

Still applies to both men and women, though the implications for the former are considerably less tantalizing than the latter.
>>
>>45050133
That's not how breasts work.
>>
>>45045310
>MFW men have been playing as women in theater since the greek ages
>MFW women were only allowed to act within the last 300 years
wat
>>
Do what you want OP. If you and/or your party aren't secure enough to have people play across genders/sexualities, I pity you.

>>45045121
>first the worst
>>
>>45045226
>>45045250
Don't listen to either of these faggots. Any character you make that isn't you with life-appropriate stats is wish-fulfillment and should be frowned upon.
>>
>>45045310
Dudes playing non-human characters is almost always awful. I'd be potentially okay with a buff as fuck dude playing a dwarf but generally speaking playing a character of a species that you're attracted to, that is likely going to be attractive in some way (let's face it hardly anyone wants to play an ugly elf, and if they do it's probably their fetish) so it's going to get weird FAST.

Now the reason behind this is because, at the risk of sounding really fucking annoying, 99.9999% chance you can't act as a member of a different race in a convincing, non-sexualized manner in an improv setting. Even fantastic writers tend to write better characters of their own race because the races are really fucking different.
>>
If you are playing any character, their gender shouldn't be a deciding factor in what sort of person that character is.
My most recent Star Wars character is noted for being both ruthless and quick to get angry when someone fucks up. She also doesn't see the value in other people (men particularly, but that's because she's from Dathomir) unless they've done something better than her. Pretty selfish and very goal-oriented.
>>
>>45049286
Question. If you define your male character's body type as mountain or bear-like muscular versus other types of muscular, then is it fetish if you describe your female character as athletic or curvy or what-have-you?
>>
>>45049850
Okay then, don't use voluptuous or heaving bosom.
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 2048x192px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 2048x192px
>>45045113

I really don't see why it's so hard for so many people to cross-play. Play the character, not what's on their chest or between their legs.
>>
While I don't oppose the idea of cross-gender roleplaying, i've never seen a male roleplayer play a female character anywhere near convincingly. The characters are just dudes who spend some time working on their appearance in-game, more or less. And the GMs I've had have never stretched beyond talking in a lighter voice.

I don't subscribe to the character creation method of "write a male character and then just change the gender", since that takes no consideration to the characters upbringing or culture, and how a persons gender affects those factors. And if you play in a world where both genders are absolutely equal in both society and physical prowess (inb4 -4 strength), which many setting designers seem keen on developing nowadays, you don't have that many roles or stereotypes to break or subvert when it comes to gender either, which is unfortunate since many characters are different from regular people.

But hey, those of you who's pulling it off, my hat's off to you.
>>
>People can roleplay as fucking elves, half orcs, and Tieflings, and tons of other monsters the DM has to play as
>Can't handle being the opposite sex of the same species
I'd hate to roleplay with these people. Every group I've ever been in has had at least one guy who played as a female at one point and it's never been awkward for anyone there, including other female players. I know this is probably just a shitty bait thread, but I really do not understand the amount of shit people give about it.

If you're shit at roleplaying you'll be shit at roleplaying everything, not just females. So yeah, maybe some of you shouldn't play as females because you can't fucking put yourselves into the skin of something or someone else at all.
>>
>>45051084
Gender is a significant factor in personality. If you ignore it you are ignoring a large aspect of a character.
>>
I guess male writers can never write female characters and female writers can never write male characters then.
>>
>>45045174
If you mean 'awkward' in the sense that people need to remember the right pronoun and occasionally mix it up, then sure.

If you mean 'awkward' in that everyone is uncomfortable, then no, you're wrong.
>>
>>45051376
To be fair, players are generally unable to roleplay as another race as well, unless the whole sum of the dwarven experience is "beer and axes XD" or a 400 year old elf acts just the same as a 20-30 year old human.
>>
>>45045310
>Dudes playing female characters is almost always awful
Citation needed.

>face it hardly anyone wants to play an ugly chick
Citation needed.

> it's going to get weird FAST.
Citation needed.

> 99.9999% chance you can't act as a member of the opposite gender in a convincing, non-sexualized manner in an improv setting
Citation needed.
>>
>>45051232
This is the part where you explain the difference between a male fighter and a female fighter without mentioning how the world approaches them.
>>45051494
>Gender is a significant factor in personality
Only if you factor in the cultural norms that promote them in the setting you are playing in.
>>
>>45051557
All of his citations are personal anecdotes DUH.
>>
>>45045113
First, hang-ups about gender in games are silly. There are people who honestly believe that they understand the mindset of an alien with bug eyes and a sucker face more than they could possibly step into the shoes of a human woman.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how fucking silly that is.

In your specific case, you already know the character. You know how she behaves better than anyone, what she likes, where she wants to go in life, and you know how she was raised. You pretty much know everything about her because you already helped mold her into the character she is.

If a girl joined your group, do you honestly think she could do a better job understanding this character than you could?
>>
>>45045113
>Females can't play pnp
>Men can't play females

Just admit you're a fucking faggot already.
>>
>>45053786
If you surround yourself with liars, you begin to forget the truth is something you can discover for yourself.
>>
>>45045113
>character who happens to be female
It'll go fine unless you or another weird it the fuck out.

>female who happens to be character
Everything is bad forever.
>>
I've noticed a trend. People who are convinced men cannot convincingly play female characters have unrealistic expectations of women.
>>
File: everyone is stupid.jpg (186KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
everyone is stupid.jpg
186KB, 500x376px
>>45054883
Can't you just say they have unrealistic expectations of everyone's lack of ability?
>>
>>45055146
There's probably some of that involved too.
>>
People should never be able to play characters whose gender they are attracted to. That means that straight men shouldn't play women, straight women shouldn't play men, gay men shouldn't play men, lesbians shouldn't play women, and bisexuals should play only genderless automatons. Pansexuals should never, ever play any sort of cooking apparatus.
>>
File: laughingelf.jpg (917KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
laughingelf.jpg
917KB, 1350x900px
>>45058589
>>
My group is made up of only guys but we have 3 females in the party. I roleplay as a female elf, and we also have 2 human females. It's never gotten weird between us because we know that we're not there to make our characters fuck. We just decided out characters would be females because it seemed really interesting for the story. The male characters do tease us when we're roleplaying (and also because that's how their characters are, they tease everyone not only the PC's) but it stays in the roleplay. We're not in a magical realm of the DM, we chose to be females so that we can develop the characters in the story.

People saying that males can't play female characters are probably homophobes or basement dwellers that pop a boner at the single thought of women.

Go roleplay that character, OP. It has a great story setup.
>>
>>45045121
It's usually fine IRL provided the guy doesn't constantly try drawing attention to it, creepily talking about her body and "duties to her past master", and speak in a horrible falsetto every time they speak in character.

Like if you can do voices and want to do them fine, but otherwise you just look and/or sound like a fuckhead.
>>
Basically my run down on it is "Unless you know the person really well and trust them never fucking let someone play across gender lines"

9 out of 10 times the dude who says "Hey I'm playing a female character" is going to be a fucking awkward sperg. I have literally never seen someone play across gender lines well, and they usually play it bad enough to be entirely incompatible with the group. This goes both ways too.

I once had a chick play a gruff barbarian dude and everyone was cool with it for a bit but then she started going crazy and played this weird stereotyped buff dude who wanted to fuck everything in sight and hated women.

What it comes down to is that there are two options.

1. Your characters gender really doesn't matter and you just play them like a normal character. Genitals never come into play, and the characters gender never becomes relevant. In this case just play your own gender instead and have the same character.

2. It DOES matter. This gets weird super fast because you are not that gender and as a member of the opposite gender you really don't know what it's like to be said gender. This is very different from playing a fantasy race since nobody is an elf in real life, and you aren't the opposite of an elf in real life.

Since men and women are actual things that actually exist in the real world you can't just make up rules for how they act. You really have to get it right or else you become creepy or boring.
>>
>>45060365
I can already imagine your group and it's fucking awful. A bunch of dudes roleplaying gender based "teasing" to a bunch of other dudes playing as chicks is about the cringiest thing I can think of in the context of tabletop games.
>>
>>45060798
You aren't very imaginative.
>>
>In almost every game the male GM will play the part of at least one woman. No one gives a fuck
>You you will still sperg out about male players playing female PCs.

If you can't trust your group not to be magical realming at full force then why are you playing with them?
>>
>>45046313
>le quest boogeyman
>>
>>45060798
The feeling that something is cringey to you is a failure on your part. A sign of improper socialization as a child.
>>
>>45045310
Mmm this worm looks tasty
*omnomnoms the worm*
Wait.
*tries to swim away*
The worm concealed a HOOK!
*flails*
Oh no! I've been caught! D=
*is caught*
IT WAS BAIT
>>
>>45045375
>so gay dudes are fucking terrifying because obviously gay dudes just wanna rape them.
To be fair, even if not all gay dudes are rapists, there's always the minority whose sex drive overrides their morals and would honestly force some unwilling person to take part in their fetishes. Pays to be wary.
>>
>>45045503
"Boners involved in the making of this character" is now a character stat.

I want to optimise a character around having a high as possible Boners Involved stat.
>>
>>45045226
>>45045250
>>45050412
Don't listen to any of these faggots. Playing ttrpgs is a futile exercise in escapism and any time spent coming up with characters is a waste of time you could have spent doing something more productive.
>>
>>45045113
I play chars of both genders, and in some cases (Scion/Demon) no gender. I don't do it cause, bewbs. I actually have a system for character Gen.
>Character Concept
I get a quick idea done for character like my Demon when it was an Angel acting as a Combo of Nova (SC2) and James Bond while being a diplomat between supernal splats.
I also knew my Demons Vessel would need to be a Mage since the rest of the party decided out of all the splats in existence to be mages.
> Get an image for the character and either draw it, commission it or find a close enough picture.
Demon again, Demonic form was easy choice, described quickly as a Metalic skeleton wearing a suit of armor, instead of Flesh and meat has Blue plasma with electricity sparking off and USB Tentacles for hair. So with quick research I felt Thresh was close enough. For his human form I needed his Cover to be someone who would look to be a Mage from New Castle, Boston or Arkham, of course that would be someone in their early 20s in the local colleges. So I went through my folders and my friends picture bag for a college kid picture. Found some guy with a beard that looks like a college kid wanting to be a mechanic from Persona I think and used that as my Demons cover. His other cover, I had to choose between a Ghoul or Vampire. The Vamp was the Childe of my Elder from a previous game while the Ghoul was created by said Elder. I decided my Demon made a Pact with my Malkavian Elder and took the ghoul as a cover as well, in return my Demon would help if they needed something done in Arkham. The ghoul also happens to be a female nurse. (I played my Schitzophrenic, Narcassistic, Paranoid Malkavian pretty strait with random bursts of comedy... The reasons he ghouled her were for good reasons as a Kindred, horrific for humans) So now I have to play a Demon hiding from a God, paranoid about fellow Demons, mage and Vamp enemies. Also I have to roleplay a genderless entity roleplaying a woman and man.
>>
>>45061553
>To be fair, even if not all gay dudes are rapists, there's always the minority whose sex drive overrides their morals and would honestly force some unwilling person to take part in their fetishes. Pays to be wary.

The same could be said of every man, woman, child, and dog.
>>
>>45051084
>Alien
>masterpiece of character writing
Ripley was boring until Aliens, in which her gender DID define her character. God damn do I hate that image
>>
>>45060798
Imagine all you want. You don't know us and you probably didn't even understand what I said.

It's not even teasing all the time. It was done mainly to get on the nerves of the female character who also had really bad tolerance. The guy playing her actually played her really well. I ain't explaining everything to an idiot who says everything is "cringy". Maybe go outside some time, that would help.
>>
>>45062051
Oh hey, Scion player.

Links to your favourite house rules? I've been hacking away at Magic and Knacks for a while. Epics were easy to change to my liking at least.

...Also advancement. If you can sum up how your table deals with getting/spending XP please share.
>>
>>45045113
Just play them as a character and not as a "female character" and it wont be an issue. What I mean by that is that your character's gender rarely comes into play. Use it when you need to (descriptions, occaisonally doing gender specific things- like following a suspect into places where male characters can't like a locker room or public restroom.) Constantly talking about how NPCs should be attracted to you, or mentioning your breasts constantly is a big no-no. I tend to play genders almost randomly and nobody cares, because I play characters as though they're just people. Magical, murderous people. Sometimes with a vagina.
>>
File: Witch of Izal.png (366KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Witch of Izal.png
366KB, 600x480px
>>45062051
> Then Finally Stats.
Though the most memorable female character I have played that I can think of would have to be my Wizard from Anima. She was complicated. She was a Master of Creation and Chimerad herself for power. She wouldn't betray allies if it hurts them, but the effects of doing so wouldn't negatively effect them AND she gets power, she would do it. She was also extremely charitable with money and would help others out. She was nice enough she was made a Saint for the Church of Abel. She ended up desperately trying to create an artifact so she could teleport her friends to safety only for it to blow up, and for us to realize next session that I didn't kill us all and we would have teleported away, except for me, I was dead.
I need to stop rambling about my Chars...

But my point is not once in that game did my party (Or the current) ever claim it was weird for me to play a female character, I don't go into detail on genitals, its not really important to the character. I don't want to know how big your characters cock is, and if we ever enter PvP for any reason and you EVER bring up your characters dick, breast or butt sizes, we're more likely to shove a halberd into them and keep you on top of it like your one of Vlad's bitches. The only time it is appropriate in a session to bring sexual themes in is when your party is playing something where the BOEF should be used, or your mature enough to not use it and use your imagination. My groups rules on this:
> No hitting on players/PCS, its weird and if ur hitting on your S/O just fuck before the game or stay home.
> No explicit details, we know how sex and seduction works, if new guys do this, we get the idea that they are there for porn.
> Do NOT whore out your Char just because.
There are good reasons IE: Setting up a future PC for a time skip, your a Vamp feeding, Black Widower .etc If your doing it just cause sex, then you're detracting from the plot and are not developing any characters.
>>
>>45046738
Underrated post
>>
File: Ra.jpg (223KB, 579x974px) Image search: [Google]
Ra.jpg
223KB, 579x974px
>>45062321
My party just makes epics 1 box = 1 auto success, dodge can only be used against ranged attacks while keeping health boxes, run/jump distance, throwing and lifting the same. We also dropped the speed system and adopted NWODs initiative by taking join battle, subtracting the weapons speed and then rolling a 1D10 and adding them together to determine your order in the initiative. Most of the time when we see something OP we discuss if it truly is OP and if we can find any way to Nerf it or if there's an easy counter to it. So far its been working fine, Untouchable isn't an issue anymore and the system does enough that the party consists of less Dex users than when we played as is by a long shot. My Scion is STR/STA/INT child of Osiris, Loki's is INT/MAN/APP, while the rest are all STR/any other non combat stat. Versus our original parties, DEX/STR/MAN or DEX/STR/STA for everyone.
>>
>>45050813
Just don't stick them in a gimp suit and you should be fine.
>>
>>45045113

People get really weird about it. Every GM ever has played multiple female characters. They've also probably played genderless automatons, sentient weapons, and all sorts of other shit that lack dicks. It's not hard. It's not rare. It's so profoundly commonplace that I am continually surprised by how heated discussion about it gets on here.

There are a few things that /tg/ absolutely flips its shit about, and this is one of them.
>>
>>45061215
I don't understand this thread.
Do male GM's populate entire games with only male characters?
How is it different that /any/ NPC exist as female, than an individual player having a more developed female PC?

I mean I'm cool with anyone who isn't into that, but I have no idea how people can be abhorred by others playing cross-gender PCs.
>>
>>45062893
As an aside. The only thing I believe can truly not be played by anyone (Human at least), is anything perceived or designed to be "Completely alien" in thought or motive than a human.
Basically, it's impossible to think of anything without it being brought back into the lens of our own existence. But AFAIK, that is a given, and can not be escaped.
>>
>>45045113
ITT: /tg/ being autistic

Can you play a female character without making references to her gender every 5 minutes? No? In that case, avoid playing women. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

It's that simple, and you should ignore any retard who claims otherwise. It's just a fucking gender.
>>
There's a guy in my group playing as a chick. Hell, I think he's even playing a lecherous lesbian. Nobody seems to really care aside from the occasional joke and he doesn't make all that big a deal about it.

Maybe he's doing it for magical realm reasons, but he's not shoving it in our faces, so c'est la vie.
>>
>>45062979
>I have no idea how people can be abhorred by others playing cross-gender PCs.

Some people have had bad experiences with repeat magical realm offenders (either the player of the female character, or the other party members), some people are homophobic and insecure in a way that causes them to be bothered by it, some people have highly stereotypical views of women and cry unrealistic any time a female character acts outside of those expectations, and some people are trolling.

There may be a few other reasons, but those seem to be the main ones.
>>
>>45064024
In short, autism?
>>
>>45064150
Indeed.
>>
>>45045113
Being someone who plays more for the "Roleplaying" aspect of roleplaying games, I see no issue with it. The point of roleplaying os to be someone you aren't, and if there's one thing you aren't as a man, it's a woman.

That made a lot more sense in my head.

Point I'm trying to make is, it's all about the adventure, and as long as someone isn't playing a female because "LOL TITS" it'll be fine.

I haven't had my coffee yet today, can you tell?
>>
Normally I don't post in these threads, normally I think "grow up guys"

But my group have just dropped their characters for the next campaign, star-wars Force and Destiny. Players are all men around the age of 30 (or older). All have created their characters without talking to each other. All are pretty decent chaps, typically no gushyness.

Game starts with one character rescuing the others from a prison.The rescuer is male, the 3x rescuees are all female.

This causes me a hint of hesitancy. I'm going to just pretend its perfectly normal and fane"meh" when they all notice... but this could go very wrong if the players turn full retard!
>>
>>45066458
If they're all 30-ish, I would assume they're mature enough to look past such things. Unless, of course, they're autistic manchildren, in which case why are you playing with them?
>>
>>45062853
BUT IT'S ADEVA
>>
>>45066739
Then the barely repressed psychosexual hangups should be perfectly in theme and not at all out of place.
>>
File: 1388957074994.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1388957074994.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>45066739
Then why describe a 14 year old's body in such detail?
>>
>>45066826
BECAUSE
IT'S ADEVA
>>
>>45045262

Your argument could be said about almost anything. Why play a dwarf if you aren't one irl etc.
>>
>>45045392
That's an extremely false comparison.
>>
>>45045691
The problem with your comparison is that elves and aliens don't exist in real life, members of the opposite sex do. We know what the latter typically acts like and so have something to compare to while with the former you're just making it up basically because there's no real world comparison.
>>
>>45046318
I believe they're referring to being rejected in the romantic sense, something which generally doesn't happen to straight men when dealing with members of their own gender.
>>
Men playing women (and vice versa) is never a problem as long as the player is able to conceptualise the opposite gender in a nonsexual way. Which is actually pretty easy when you do have relatively regular contact with the other gender in a nonsexual way in rl.
>>
>>45066977
>The problem with your comparison is that elves and aliens don't exist in real life
Sez you.
>>
>>45066977
People who fight with swords have existed. Knights have existed. Soldiers have existed. Black people have existed.

I guess you can't play any of them because they in fact exist in real life, too but you haven't actually defended yourself from someone trying to gut you, right?
>>
I honestly think the main reason why there's such a violent reaction to crossplaying characters is because the vocal minority want to use these games as dating sims to find a girlfriend, rather than risk finding out that clever, fantastic and engaging female character they were playing with turned out to be a man.
>>
>>45066951
Well I sez it's an extremely true comparison!
>>
>>45045113
Used to play a game where there was a dude playing a chick, a chick playing a dude, and it was awkward for exactly nobody because we're adults.
>>
I had a group once that consisted of three women, two had male characters, and one man, who played a female character. We played for about half a year until some people moved.

Reading these threads (and also the ever returning "omg female player") one would assume it should've been the worst thing ever, instead it was one of the best campaigns I ever GMed.

Grow up.
>>
>>45045113
I say do what you want, it doesn't really matter. From personal experience, I play probably 40/60 male/female characters and my male characters are almost always more interesting and memorable than my female characters. I like to play female characters because I like cute 2D girls and I wish I was one, but the group I play with is dominated by masculinity in a very non-cuck/dudebro way, so everyone is all rational and jaded/cynical, which makes it hard to be the little girl. My group also instinctively looks to me for party leadership regardless what role I'm playing which frustrates me even more than being one of only two rotating GMs in a group of 8, and again frustrates my ability to be a 2D qt.

I guess I'm saying that you should be aware that playing a woman can be hard for reasons outside of the actual presentation you give.
>>
>>45068230
Then make a female character right now. Let's see what it's like? Sure, you might not get to use her, but at least it's something to muse over. And hell, it's great/hilarious that a group of stalwart, robust men might be taking their orders and advice from the oracle of a young girl. Very Spartan.
>>
Your female characters probably are less interesting because you're both
A) worrying too much about them
B) putting too much effort into the idea of "2D qt" without expanding on it to make the character, well, a character

And magical women make a decent party leader role, especially if they're formally in charge. Magical girls is a different pickle entirely.
>>
File: 3554c9c53fbd8f0a2ac1a68d35bf0e69.jpg (159KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
3554c9c53fbd8f0a2ac1a68d35bf0e69.jpg
159KB, 850x1202px
>>45068313
I mean, as I said, I play more female characters than male characters, it's not that I make female characters and then don't end up playing them because of the group dynamic. My issue is more that there's very little room to actually express femininity. Now that sounds pretty gay, but I mean that in the literal sense, like, the kinds of interactions that happen in most campaigns are masculine - they're straightforward, rational, violent - and so even if you play a female character you're really playing a cute 2D man.
>>
>>45069535
I don't think you entirely understand how people work.
Sure, a game without any social element makes it difficult to express one's character, but framing the terms "straightforward, rational, violent" as things that only manly men are possessed of is, in two words
Fucking Stupid.
>>
I played a female because that's how I imagined the character. Play the character you want to play.
>>
>>45069558
>Sure, a game without any social element makes it difficult to express one's character,
That's not my point, there's a lot of social interactions that happen in the games I play and run. We have a long-running L5R game that's seen exactly zero combat encounters, for instance.
>but framing the terms "straightforward, rational, violent" as things that only manly men are possessed of
That's not what I mean, in fact the issue stems from this being so obviously false. These characteristics are nearly ubiquitous in roleplaying games, largely due to time constraints and the game side of the equation, which is fine, but feminine things like intimacy are largely absent.
>>
>>45045113
You are quite literally That Guy only if, after it is clear that you are making the table uncomfortable, you push forward with it anyway (or the opposite: everyone likes something and you are the only one fighting against it).

If the table (or the skype call or whatever) is fine with it, do it.
>>
>>45045262
>...because at that point why the fuck don't you just play a dude.
Because he clearly didn't want to? Maybe he wanted to subvert some tropes without drawing attention to how he's doing so, maybe he's irritated with where women are in regards to their expected roles in the character roster, maybe he's irritated with every PC girl being a super-hot awesome-goddess and wanted to play some Whisper motherfucker or something. Maybe he just wanted to annoy an autistitic tit like yourself.

Maybe he just wanted to play a girl and not have it be a big deal.
>>
>>45045310
This is some "men are from Mars, women are from Venus," bullshit. You want to know how you play an effective female character if you're a male?

You play a goddamn person. Like, an actual person. Let the gender thing fill in itself. Not all women act like the stereotype you want to fuck in your head.

Your post is petty and immature. Go away.
>>
Stop feeding the fucking trolls. Nobody who roleplays has a problem with anyone playing another gender. They are baiting you. You are not making them change their minds, they don't actually think what they say they think, they are doing it to get replies because they are underage fucks from /b/ or /v/ or wherever, or because they are retards in general. Don't feed them, don't give them what they want, and they'll go away.
>>
>>45069660
If you are trying persure seriotypically feminine traits in games they are not difficult to express. Kindness, teamwork, and sociability are all very easy to express through even sword and sorcery type systems. I think you are blaming your lack of creativity or willingness to roleplay in a feminine way on other players tendency to ignore those traits.
>>
File: avatar5185.jpg (50KB, 585x380px) Image search: [Google]
50KB, 585x380px
>>45045555 (You) #
>>45046677 #
Quads and dubs, fuck, now I HAVE to play this character.

In all seriousness though thank you all for the constructive replies, except those of you whose only apparent existence is to shit post
>>
File: 1409979144473.png (537KB, 629x466px) Image search: [Google]
1409979144473.png
537KB, 629x466px
>>45059048
>>
>>45046677
>Don't fuck around with your voice too much. It just makes it sound like your character's in drag, which ruins the immersion. Just use your normal voice, albeit only slightly higher.

I just inflected and enunciated differently personally. I found that talking in the manner of a Sailor Moon character was easier than talking at the pitch of one.
>>
>>45045532
>using maps or models
>>
>>45045113

>>45045121 is sort of right. Most people won't even recognize a female character. Depends on how comfortable you are with playing the character or not and how passable as female you are to others when in-character.

Online though? I haven't met someone who has played a female character poorly in my campaigns I host. In fact, four of my players are fa/tg/uys and 3/4 of them play female characters.
>>
>>45045113
>men playing women

Faggotry. Nothing else to say about it.
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.