[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Paladins love?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 38

File: 1453286384192.jpg (318KB, 891x613px) Image search: [Google]
1453286384192.jpg
318KB, 891x613px
Can Paladins love?
>>
>>45022757
Depends on the setting as always.

But I don't see why not in my games. As long as it doesn't distract from their holy duties.
>>
>>45022757
Of course

They love their God's with all their being
>>
>>45022757
No, they can only smite.

They have a hard life.
>>
>>45022757
No, they can only hate.
>>
Some of the best loves I've seen in games were by paladins.

Also some of the worst though.
>>
>>45022757
I imagine some deities might actually require their paladins to love. Some will likely be more specific than others in love but it's probably going to generally be rather vague.
>>
Depends on the setting, but in my experience, yes, and they should.

I've always done Paladins as people who fight for an ideal or a purpose. They're naturally people of strong conviction, and most Paladins I have played have been passionate people. They draw on their emotions for strength, so of course they love, and they love very strongly.
>>
>>45022757
Yeah. I mean, even if their knightly orders or whatever forbid it for some odd religious reason, it won't stop the paladins from experiencing those emotions regardless. Unless magic is applied in some way to prevent it, I suppose.
>>
File: Ilias.png (363KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ilias.png
363KB, 600x600px
>>45022792
>with ALL their being.
>>
>>45022757

Reminder that every minute you spend with your dick in a maiden is a minute you could have spent smiting evil.
>>
>>45023742
What if she's evil and your dick smiting her?
>>
>>45023742
But in a way, is it not somewhat evil to waste the seeds of life? Would I not be smiting the evil of leaving a child unborn?
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 300x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 300x333px
>>45022757
Yes.

I'd say it makes a Paladin even greater.
>>
Paladins can do whatever, in 5e you don't even have alignments. As long as you've got lip service to some kind of code you're good to go.
>>
>>45023762

If she's evil you should be smiting her with your sword. Dicks are not for smiting.
>>
>>45023858
What if it's her destiny or fate to become good or do good, or she'd be much more useful to the world and the cause of good, as reformed?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>45023871

>reforming

You're either Good or you're not.

Why is this so hard to understand? If a person is Good they should live. If a person is not Good, that means they're Evil. And Evil must be smote.
>>
>>45022757
Don't they love their respective god and his justice?
Isn't that why they are Paladins?
>>
>>45023910

>Evil girl now will save the world in the future
>You smite and kill her

That would make you evil you idiot.
>>
>>45023961
If it was really her destiny then she wouldn't go out like a bitch. Besides, you aren't going to know what someone might do, only what they have done. Evil is evil and it is the duty of paladins to smite it.
>>
>>45024020
You are literally handed an edict stating that this girl will go on to save the world in the future, as foretold since ages past.

Unless some stupid evil fuck just kills her.
>>
>>45024048
That wasn't a part of the original scenario. If he knew what she'd go on to do, then yes that would be bad. But he'd have to do something about the evil part.
>>
>>45024020
>Besides, you aren't going to know what someone might do, only what they have done.
That argument can get a bit murky in a world with functional divination.
>>
>>45022757
>Can Paladins love?
I'd argue you CANNOT be a Paladin without love.
>>
>>45024090
It's not always available at a moments notice, and not everyone had access to it. If you can do that then great, but it's not as easy as just snapping your fingers.
>>
>>45023742
Smiting evil directly isn't always the most effective way to deal with evil. Aside from the obvious outcome of producing little paladins to grow up to smite more evil, assuming that such compatibility is present, copulation has other potential benefits for the side of Good.
>>
File: 1442222565227.jpg (154KB, 650x919px) Image search: [Google]
1442222565227.jpg
154KB, 650x919px
>>45022757
Always. I'd say they're the type to love too easy and too fiercely, even. But they're not retarded loser Jedi or something.

I mean, I'd HOPE they can love, otherwise they'd be inhuman and pretty unpleasant. Got a Paladin in my game, one don't know she is one and never will, reincarnation of some famous actor, and she's head over heels for this kid she met in a war shelter. He even helped her learn how to read and write. Never been happier. Other PCs joke they're gonna get married after their last little spat resolved with them closer than ever.

But only if by some miracle she survives her appointed time of sacrifice and death.
>>
>>45022757
Paladins are knights, not monks.
>>
File: 1323452932918.jpg (404KB, 1509x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1323452932918.jpg
404KB, 1509x1073px
>>45024244
Yes, but most of /tg/'s toast-dull ideas for Paladins revolve around them all being psychotic mass killers who sublimate every sexual and emotional desire into murderous fanaticism.
>>
>>45023742
Reminder that even the gods have to take breaks and fuck around (Sometimes literally, sometimes not) and no mortal paladin can truly claim to have greater physical or mental fortitude than the gods.
>>
>>45024163
>not retarded loser Jedi or something.
I'll be honest that I never play my Jedi as sticking too much to the code or liking the council much.

Like Annie except less dumb.
>>
>>45023097

>Welcome to the Sisterhood, Christina. This will be the last time you will be referred to by that name. Follow me.
>You've been under observation for some time, though I suspect you know that already, don't you? The Watchers are never very subtle. No, please don't talk, your vows haven't been superceded yet. They arent supposed to be subtle, you know. The Watchers. All that talk around the town, the blacksmith who thinks he's being Watched? A load of rubbish. You either know you're being Watched or you're not. If the Brothers assigned to observe you don't think you've noticed them then they'll drop your case straight away. You're not pereptive enough for the order.
>Now Christina, you obviously know what you're being Watched for? Let's not waste each other's time. We need fighters, desperately. You've always been devout, and your training will be taken care of by The Brothers. Your faith will continue to be nurtured by The Sisters. We want you to become a Paladin in Our Lord's service.
>You don't have much time to think it over, I'm afraid. You're almost too old to begin the training already. No speaking, remember, just nod or shake. Do you want to become a Paladin and serve as our Lord's arm where he cannot or will not reach? Knowing the sacrifices you must make, will you take up this burden and save us all?
>Good. Let me Mark you for the ritual. It's just cedar ash. There we are. Thus, I absolve you of your vows. You may speak. You may look another in the eye. You may leave the Abbey. You will no longer be Christina. You will be a nameless force of good and light in this world. Come. We must begin at once.
>>
>>45024390
>>Where are w- *Cough*
>Don't try to speak too much dear. It's been too long. We'll teach you exercises for that again. Hurry up girl, you have to be sanctified. The Matriarchs are already preparing the ritual.
>Well, here we are. Once you step through the door, your purification will begin.
>There is one thing you don't know about becoming a Paladin, Initiate. Now that you have been Marked, you cannot love again.
>>What do you *cough* mean? I'm not allowed *wheeze* to marry? I'm only 11 anyway!
>Allowed? Oh child, no. You may marry if you wish. But you cannot love. The cedar on your forehead has taken your ability to feel love. You can marry, but if you find your husband with forbidden texts, nothing will stop you from smiting him. You can give birth and raise a family, but when the call comes, it will be as easy to leave them as it would be a stray cat. The peole who raised you - well, that's how you consider them now, isn't it? Not your parents. Just caregivers. The ash works fast.
>You will be a force for our Lord to work through. Nothing else. No distractions.
>Now step through the door and begin your journey.
>>
File: aribeth_by_dancinfox-d6ro6nu.jpg (83KB, 600x925px) Image search: [Google]
aribeth_by_dancinfox-d6ro6nu.jpg
83KB, 600x925px
>>45022757
Of course, sister. Just go for it and see where it takes you.
>>
>>45024402
What if the sister wants you, sister?
>>
File: 1392013504525.jpg (89KB, 800x1091px) Image search: [Google]
1392013504525.jpg
89KB, 800x1091px
>>45024390
>>45024398
fuckin' Blackguards
>>
>>45024402
It took her from the shitty main campaign to one of the best expansion packs ever though.
>>
>>45024020
>Kill them all, let God sift through their paperwork
This is a slippery slope to Lawful stupid with the auto-smite button. I've seen characters become jaded and make Goodness an impossible ideal. It's almost sad when they're stripped of their powers.
>>
Look, the whole worthless fear over Paladins in love is all a dumbass self-fulfilling prophecy. And also because people want to see heroes fail and die horribly and pointlessly.

It's an easy fix. Get a Bard. Stern one. Severe outfit. Tell the Paladin the Bard will teach them about love. When the Paladin opens their mouth to ask a question, Bard slaps the SHIT out of them. One good solid backhand to the face. Tells them, "Don't act dumb."

Paladin opens their mouth, WHAMMO, another slap, thrice as hard. Tell them, finger jabbed right into their chest, "DON'T. ACT. DUMB."

There, all set. Paladin won't be able to shake it from their mind whenever they start to spew their gummi worms all over the table agonizing over love this, duty that. Stupid fucks. Gotta train them like dogs these days just to make them act human. Idiots all worried about 'falling' and 'the right thing' when a Wizard can decide to just fart the wrong way and obliterate the Paladin, the Bard, and half of Wyoming just to see what it smells like.
>>
>>45024439
They're Blackguards, anon. Every one of 'em.
>>
>>45024484
I thought I was in the "Can paladins threaten to/actually rape?" thread for a second and I got really confused.
>>
My Paladin loved. Loved smiting evil and ruining the childhood fantasies of his female party members.
>>
File: 1427732056303.jpg (398KB, 800x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1427732056303.jpg
398KB, 800x1236px
I don't really like my paladins loving anyone, and the main reason for that is that I consider them something like a holy juggernaut. They have a path they are to follow, they have a duty to fulfill, and nothing will force them to leave that path or forsake that duty until the day they are finally brought down. You don't get to put down your sword in a calling like this.

Love is dangerous because it distracts, it hurts, it weakens. In a life where you keep moving ever onward, there's no settling down. A lover adventuring alongside you is only asking for even more bitter tears. It's just better to let it all go, for your own sake.
>>
File: Poetry.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Poetry.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
Senators can't love, so why can paladin?
>>
>>45026396
What was he talking about?

Jar-Jar's dialogues?
>>
>>45026415
The Star Wars movies.
>>
>>45026415
Specifically I think he's referring to the multiple plot lines going on in Episode 1. About how they're all interwoven with one another, how they influence each other.
>>
>>45022757
Depends on the setting.
>>
File: 1401150267653.gif (1MB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
1401150267653.gif
1MB, 640x325px
>>45026415
The prequels. He took many themes and shots from the prequels, recycled them while robbing them of all significance and used this poetry justification for it.
>>
>>45022757
They can, but not every Paladin is capable of pulling off a stunt where they can have a family life and satisfy their god's demands.

And sometimes they also get that whole "lover died because of BBEG" thing, thus either them turning into Blackguards or even people that are all about getting shit done.
>>
>>45024402
I really want to punch Nasher and see Neverwinter ravaged to the point that it will never pull itself together for what they did to her and poor Fent.
>>
>>45023858
Now you're just being needlessly dogmatic.
>>
>>45022757
Allow me to recite my paladin's Code.

To dream the Impossible Dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To try when your arms are too weary,
To run where the brave dare not go...

To right the unrightable wrong,
>To love pure and chaste from afar,
To bear with unbearable sorrow,
To reach the unreachable star...

This is my quest!
To follow that star!
No matter how hopeless,
No matter how far.

To fight for the right,
Without question or pause.
To be willing to march into Hell for a heavenly cause.

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest.
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm til I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuH34mXJ5i4

You tell me, OP.
>>
>>45024089
That's where the reforming comes in, now doesn't it?
>>
>>45026603
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN8OYvD4ejQ
Now kisten as a 93 year old dead man sing you a song.

RIP, sir Lee.
>>
>>45023871
You kill them the second they've reformed, so they get sent to their alignment-defined afterlife, before they have a chance to slip back.
>>
File: Paladin Backstory.jpg (184KB, 556x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin Backstory.jpg
184KB, 556x1116px
>>45022757
You tell me.
>>
>>45026831
>mother protecting her baby
Doesn't count.

Post the one about father leaving his kid under the debris to save many more.
>>
>>45026831
That last panel really fucking ruins it.
>>
>>45023742
>Not leaving behind any successors to continue on your noble legacy of murdering the shit out of evildoers

I can understand if you don't want to raise a kid, but that's why you find yourself a decent order/brotherhood/monastery and have them do it for you.
>>
File: does the paladin fall.jpg (236KB, 427x1600px) Image search: [Google]
does the paladin fall.jpg
236KB, 427x1600px
>>45026867
Okay.
>>
>>45022757
Yes.
But then DMs with magical realms wind up getting them embroiled in harem anime subplots.
I just wanted to show the half-orc girl back home that the world had love in it.
NOT wind up leading around a harem of the most dangerous beings in all existence, and nearly causing an all out war between our allies once they found out about her.
>>
>>45022757
No, because they can not fear.
>>
>>45022792
their god's what?
>>
>>45022757

Well, obviously. Look, assuming D&D, a Paladin is a fighter. That means he already has a great body. He has high Charisma, too, which means he looks REALLY good, or - depending on how you look at it - he's extremely charming in either the aw-shucks farmboy way, or the 'muscular angel about to do something righteous smiting way'.

You know that painting where Michael is stepping on Satan's throat, about to give him the beat down? Yeah, it's like that. Oh, and he's Lawful Good too, which means you KNOW you can trust him.

I've actually run a campaign where the players were ALL knights, and the group had an on-and-off relationship with a fivesome of magical songstresses. (It's a long story, and I don't want to repeat myself.)

The bottom line is, even if someone like that is sworn to chastity, women are just going to WANT HIM MORE. Regardless of what people say about girls wanting bad boys, it's usually because their idea of 'good boys' are beta orbiters: When you have some who unironically waded through dragon fire to engage in heroic combat with a dark serpent, that gets girls more turned on than anything.

In fact, I would argue that it's a good idea for them to be in a wholesome, fulfilling relationship. Pendragon has entire rules about Love and Amor. (I still think Blood & Lust/The Adventure of the Heart Blade is a great adventure, so sue me.)

Hell, I've personally thought that - in real life - Christian and Catholic priests should ideally be married before they're eligible to be ordained.
>>
>>45026919
Damn
>>
>>45022757
No, you put aside everything for your cause. When you make your oath, whether it be before a king, an angel, or just in the silence of your own heart, you throw aside your humanity to become the sword of justice.
>>
>>45026919
This is why sociopaths are not necessarily bad for society.
Still a sociopath.
>>
>>45027738
>Hell, I've personally thought that - in real life - Christian and Catholic priests should ideally be married before they're eligible to be ordained.
That's retarded. The entire point is that you're sacrificing worldly pleasure and descendants in order to focus on being a better shepherd. A lot of people fail at this because they just understand it as a rule instead of something that was meant to help you.
>>
>>45028266

No, it was to concentrate wealth in the Church's hands.
>>
>>45023858
>dicks are not for smiting

you're just not trying hard enough
>>
>>45028378
Which has not been relevant for a long time since all the money is funneled to Rome anyway. The rule persists as a form of asceticism. Did you know that we also don't have inquisitions and crusades anymore?
>>
>>45028378
That meme gets regurgitated over and over and it doesn't begin making sense with any iteration.
Church property is corporate property. Your employer is not compelled to allow your child or spouse to inherit your job or your office either.
>>
>>45023910
That is the easy path. A paladin should not kill unless necessary to prevent greater evil. It may be hard, and it will bite you in the ass, but paladins should do what is right, not what is easy.
An argument could be made that I've romanticized the good/evil spectrum, but paladins are equally romanticized in nature
>>
>>45028088
What? Nah, man, he was clearly driven by empathy for the others. If he was a sociopath he would've saved his son or none at all, depending on his personal attachment to his son/ the benefits from having a child.
>>
Yeah as long as it's consensual and love doesn't impede their goals and duties. And a smart paladin takes precautions to not let those they love be used as bait or come under threat at all.
My paladin has a family which few know about.

You know how Hawkeye had his family in the second Avengers movie? Like that. Hell not a single BBEG we've met has come close to finding out about them.
>>
>>45022757

Assuming that other people of their species can, yes.

So something like a Warforged, maybe not, but up to the DM for cases like that.
>>
>>45028760
>Yeah as long as it's consensual
>Not approving of paladin on antipaladin rape
http://pastebin.com/4Nz5Q9DN
>>
>>45028899

>The paladin fell and abandoned her path of righteousness for life of debauchery and wordly pleasures
>The youngster is taken under wing of local paladin order as the woman is expelled in disgrace
>Some time later, the reformed anti-paladin recognizes her in as a drunken whore in a harbor tavern
>He takes her hand and offers her a spare blade
>He is at her side as she atones for her fall.
>He remains at her side as they travel the land, fighting wicked and protecting the weak.
>>
Can they fall for someone?
>>
File: 50 Cent.jpg (177KB, 720x951px) Image search: [Google]
50 Cent.jpg
177KB, 720x951px
>>45029089
>>
Paladins are based heavily on Romantic knightly protagonists, more so on the Arthurian ones than the actual Twelve Peers, and they had plenty of love going on. In fact many such stories are essentially just very long dramatic courtships.

He'll Breunor had the first legit tsundere I can recall.
>>
>>45029080
>>The paladin fell and abandoned her path of righteousness for life of debauchery and wordly pleasures
Nothing against a paladin having fun on the way to her next quest

Though it really depends on what god she serves
>>
>>45024439
It's not a slippery slope to Lawful Stupid, it's a high velocity slope to Lawful Evil.
>>
>>45029080
Ain't nothing wrong with a paladin teaching a wayward young man his proper place and having fun while doing it
>>
>>45022757
There is no love.
Only DEUS VULT.
>>
>>45030198
What if love is willed?
>>
>>45028634
That's not how that works.
Completely normal functional humans experience extreme choice paralysis and tend to default to ultimately more selfish/tribal behaviour when presented with a difficult moral dilemma - especially when it involves their children (or a close family member.)

See: those classic "push the fat guy in front of the train to save two people (and other variants)" thought experiments.
>>
>>45030198
But what if god of love?
>>
File: Sayaka.png (2MB, 1270x1560px) Image search: [Google]
Sayaka.png
2MB, 1270x1560px
>>45023799
i'd say it makes them more liable to fall
>>
File: us.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
us.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>45032649
Deus Vult IS love, you fool...
>>
>>45023858
>swiggity swole
>comin for that soul
>>
>>45024244
>implying monks are incapable of love
And above all, these things remain: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.
Also
>implying all love is romantic
>>
>>45027738
>I've actually run a campaign where the players were ALL knights, and the group had an on-and-off relationship with a fivesome of magical songstresses. (It's a long story, and I don't want to repeat myself.)
But I want you to repeat yourself.
>>
>>45027738
>Hell, I've personally thought that - in real life - Christian and Catholic priests should ideally be married before they're eligible to be ordained.
In Protestant churches, it's sort of a long-standing meme that congregations don't trust pastors who aren't married.
>>
>>45032948
She got better, dodged the shitty boyfriend bullet, and got a better love interest.

I'd say things worked out.
>>
>>45027738
What is the logic behind not allowing Catholic priest to marry?
>>
>>45036545
The vow of poverty means you won't be able to support a wife and family.

The vow of obedience means you might be sent to a hostile place not suited to starting a family.

Also it may have been to prevent dynasties forming within the church.
>>
>>45030445
how's psychology 101 going?
>>
>>45036545
>>45036606
All of these and also it's to free them from conflicting duties. As a priest, your duty is to the salvation of all humanity, but if you are a husband and father you must also see to the welfare of your family. There will be situations where there is no good outcome.
>>
>>45036740
>As a priest, your duty is to the salvation of all humanity
This is kind of an important part. It's downplayed, but every Catholic priest is technically on a mission to save the world. You're supposed to give up anything that would get in the way of this.
>>
File: michael&friends.png (45KB, 288x402px) Image search: [Google]
michael&friends.png
45KB, 288x402px
yes
>>
In my setting, most Paladins love, marry, and have children like everyone else. They take up a small territory which they take guardianship of and protect it from internal and external threats.

Paladins that eschew relationships with others become wandering knights, constantly seeking out ever greater evil and challenging it where it lies. These are in the extreme minority, partly because it's almost insane and partly because of the high death rate.

The former tend to be of much less power than the latter, because they're challenged by lesser foes and do not face battle as often.
>>
>>45024020
There's nothing that says the smiting can't be metaphorical.
>>
>>45024336
So Qui Gon, then?
>>
>>45037261
Not quite. More Ben Kenobi as seen in the CGI cartoon.

Only more brazen about loving and a sith-fucking dyke.
>>
File: IGNORE ME.jpg (23KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
IGNORE ME.jpg
23KB, 640x426px
>>45024390
>>You've been under observation for some time, though I suspect you know that already, don't you? The Watchers are never very subtle.

"IGNORE ME!"
>>
File: 1438164845203.jpg (143KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1438164845203.jpg
143KB, 600x750px
>>
>>45026919
The worst part about this is it's real.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2008-05/16/content_6688997.htm
>>
>>45028404
What is ascetic about molesting alterboys?
>>
>>45037573
Nice edge.
>>
>>45030445
The guy was a cop and ex-military. He simply retreated into his training.
>>
>>45036606
Except that for much of Catholicism's history, the richest people in europe were priests. Perhaps not laypriests, but definitely cardinals and such. And while there may not have been a papist dynasty, there were factions in the church that existed either mostly or entirely along bloodlines. For examples of both you need look no further than Borja.
>>
File: 1427353672040.jpg (189KB, 435x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1427353672040.jpg
189KB, 435x1600px
>>45037492
At least they aren't all sad.
>>
>>45030445
>tend to

So you're saying that sometimes completely normal functional humans don't resort to selfish/tribal behavior, like this cop?
>>
>>45037719
Which is one of the reasons why the church underwent reforms.
>>
>>45022757
A paladin not only can love, a paladin HAS to love.
A paladin must love life and the world as a whole, only then he would be capable of fighting against evil
>>
>>45038211
>Oh sir Paladin, can we ever be together? I love you!
>And I love you too! In fact, I love the whole world, and life!
>...So is that romantic love, or is that just-
>I love the whole world! No exceptions!
>>
>>45038728
>not loving the whole world romantically

whoa, what a pleb
>>
>>45038211
But Evil also loves.
>>
>>45039011
A paladin must love evil too, because evil people are evil because they haven't been loved enough.

A paladin must love them so badly that they forget about being evil.
>>
>>45038757
>I love you, pretty barmaid!
>I love you, married lady!
>I love you, old crone!
>I love you, ugly barman!
>I love you, mercenary who threw me out of that bar!
>I love you, horrid dragon burning this town!
>I love you, kolbold minions of that dragon trying to skewer me!
>I love you, foppish doctor trying to sew me back together!
>I love you, gravedigger taking me to my place of rest!

Is there some horrible love potion gone wrong going on here?
>>
>>45039102
But what if the BBEG is in fact a married couple with a healthy and stable relationship and no interesting in being swingers of any sort?
>>
>>45039232
You talk to him when he's waiting for the bus, making uncomfortable small talk
You bring him lunch when you notice he hasn't eaten that day
You look at him in the distance, wistfully thinking him
You bring him an umbrella when it's raining and he forgot his own
You give them expensive gifts to the couple with warm letters revealing the tip of your feelings and how you love how they live as a wonderful couple
>>
>>45039121
Yes, and the name of that potion is JUSTICE
>>
>>45039452
That's creepy as shit.
>>
>>45041242
u wanna fight about it m8

i smite u
>>
>>45026415

If you want an hour-long read, google the Ring Theory of Star Wars. If you don't, basically the prequels purposely mirror and simultaneously subvert many themes and cinematic elements from the original trilogy.

Essentially, given similar circumstances, Luke and Anakin make opposing decisions and their good/evil decisions are what turn them into the people the become.
>>
>>45036545

The belief that a wife and family would distract you from your priestly duties, and could possibly interfere with your relationship with god by placing her above Jesus or god.
>>
>>45041500
>Choose one, preacher. God, or your precious daughter!
>Don't do it papa! You can't let him shoot god!
>>
>virginal paladins being seduced and broken by a sorceress
>not the best way to play
>>
File: 1412626492474.jpg (171KB, 862x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1412626492474.jpg
171KB, 862x1080px
>>45041723
>Chaste paladins defeating a wicked sorceress and helping her on the path to redemption by teaching them love that's not just an illusion
>not the best way to play
>>
>>45039121
Nigga do you even agape
>>
Love can be either fuel for the fire of whatever ideal it is you pursue, or a steel-beam melting flame that breaks that same ideal.

It's up to you.
>>
>>45022757
Aren't there gods specifically ABOUT love and romance?
>>
>>45027738
>(It's a long story, and I don't want to repeat myself.)
At least find it in an archive if you have told it before.
>>
>>45043202
But what paladin would follow such gods?
>>
>>45032649
sort of imagining a paladin of the god of love.

Instead of trained for battle they are trained to rush ahead fearlessly into romance, as in with the same type of fury and vigor.

Just imagining a paladin shouting Deus Vult after he succeeds in getting his first kiss from a woman pleases me.
>>
>>45022757
are you retarded?
>>
>be a paladin
>get a love interest
>love interest is an on par NPC that joins the party
>DM kills her off for dramatic effect
Nope
>>
File: 1453670662239.png (202KB, 413x777px) Image search: [Google]
1453670662239.png
202KB, 413x777px
>>45043288
One who is true to his/her faith and wishes to use their power granted to them to protect the world from dangers that would destroy the ability to love freely?
>>
>>45043430
...Okay, I'll allow it. But if I throw in a strained marriage or an overworked brothel, you're obliged to take action, okay? And sometimes it's going to cause problems, like encouraging a princess to leave an arranged marriage to be with the stableboy.
>>
Depends.

Is said Paladin a Dwarf?
-Then of course they will love. And love they will! A proper Dwarf's Beard attracts the Lady Dwarves like flues to honey. A Paladin Dwarf's Beard attracts even the non-Dwarf Ladies.

Is said Paladin a non-Dwarf?
-Then they may possibly love.

Is said Paladin an Elf?
-Haha! Just kidding. Elves are too fragile and weak to be a Paladin. Not like Dwarves at all.

Is said Paladin a Human?
-Then they will most likely love.

Is said Paladin a Gnome?
-Just kidding, I've never heard of a Gnome Paladin.

Same for Halfing Paladins.

Is said Paladin a Half-Orc/Full Orc?
-No. No love at all. Doubly so if his Charisma score is low.
>>
>>45043553
>like encouraging a princess to leave an arranged marriage to be with the stableboy.
You could at least make the person the princess is really in love with actually interesting. Stable boy is just, bad.
>>
File: WIZARD.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
WIZARD.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>45043553
If that is what the princess truly wants that so be it, but the paladin would also likely preach about true love, and warn about flightiness that it's not the real love [LOVE GOD] wants you to experience.
>>
>>45043599
I was just making up a generic example. How about her bodyguard?

>>45043609
That's true, and there have been real examples of true love being found in an arranged marriage, but if the arranged marriage is already unhappy, then you should encourage her to follow love and find happiness.

The scenarios I'm making up are mostly focused around a lack of love or romance, or institutions and social constructs that restrict the freedom of love - which is what your paladin is mostly about, right?
>>
>>45043683
Depends on the exact qualities of the bodyguard and the history between them and their charge.

Ideally I'd prefer said bodyguard having basically been raised into the position at the same time the princess was growing up. Get the sort of lifelong servant thing going on that is basically entirely loyal to the princess and nobody else.
>>
File: 1453760679030.jpg (46KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
1453760679030.jpg
46KB, 500x707px
>>45043683
True that.
But instead of "go get the stable boy/bodyguard" it would be more of encouraging finding your own lover, declaring that the arranged marriage isn't right either to those who wish to force it upon the princess.
Follow your heart, but remember to temper your judgement and to think deeply about it.
>>
>>45043739
I think that it's an implied part of the general plot that the whatever is already actually in love with the princess and vise versa and not just "bang the random servant".
>>
File: 1417903732088.gif (506KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1417903732088.gif
506KB, 500x500px
>>45043765
Still the
>Follow your heart, but remember to temper your judgement and to think deeply about it.
then. Be sure he's the one.
I would also assume said love god could be somewhat family-oriented too, thus giving grounds for the paladin order to also be more mediators in family disputes like this.
>>
>>45043823
Depends on your flavor of love god.Some tend to be a bit, let's say wild.

Also I don't think that any paladins of love would be all that popular with the nobles that are actually in charge.
>>
>>45043870
Likely not, but if they get caught trying to get said paladin of love into shit it would be pretty bad publicity for the noble as well.

>Oh the ____ Family is such a disgrace for renouncing the church over such a greedy matter of pawning off their daughter in some arranged marriage!
>>
Who is this absolute waifu?
>>
>>45043737
That's basically what I was going for, yes. Maybe the bodyguard already cares for the princess deeply, but doesn't show his feelings due to his position, and she's unaware of them even as she complains about her unhappy marriage and how she wishes she could be with someone who loves her.
>>45043765
Yes, that's what I was implying.

>>45043823
Well, love and romance is usually kept separate from family and domesticity, at least in ancient religions. Hera and Aphrodite and all that. I assume it would be the same for fantasy as well.

But at this point it's honestly starting to sound more cleric-like than paladin-like, you know? Not exactly a warrior of love. Admittedly it's hard to think up more martial scenarios when love is involved, and a paladin can be laid back and more diplomatic, but I'd still question why a paladin and not a cleric.
>>
>>45043913
>>45043823
Failed to link. Who is she?
>>
File: 40365310.jpg (295KB, 588x1000px) Image search: [Google]
40365310.jpg
295KB, 588x1000px
>>45043918
The original idea of "Warrior of Love" honestly would be more fitting to a situation where
>an ancient evil has arisen
and most warriors/fighters find more strength from their god/goddess, and play to their ideals.

That or really they are empowered by something like Sune to be more like guardsmen to places of her power.
>>
>>45022757
>Can Paladins love?
Of course, nothing more pure than the love between a ladyknight and her shota trap squire
>>
>>45043920
Gatchamon Crowds, it's alright
>>
>>45030445
You don't actually know what you're talking about, but you're talking like you do, which is the most tragic of ignorance.
>>
>>45030445
You have to be at least 18 to post here.
>>
File: 1452041086671.jpg (295KB, 1066x918px) Image search: [Google]
1452041086671.jpg
295KB, 1066x918px
>>45023742
>>
File: 1445688524379.png (232KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1445688524379.png
232KB, 540x489px
>>45024390
>>45024398
This doesn't sound very holy
>>
>>45022757
Never, in any setting.
>>
>>45041376
Really? All I got from the prequels was Anakin doing retarded shit all the time because other people played him.
>>
File: sex crusading.jpg (116KB, 960x622px) Image search: [Google]
sex crusading.jpg
116KB, 960x622px
>>45023742
>>
>>45034642
>>45034642
>She got better, dodged the shitty boyfriend bullet, and got a better love interest.
>I'd say things worked out.
all true but she still fell
>>
>>45037719
I never said it worked only what the intentions probably were.
>>
>>45026569
I'm in the same boat. Aribeth falling, and all the damage she caused can be laid at the feet of the rat-fucker shitlord that is Nasher after he threw her husband to a bloodthirsty mob to save his own ass from his political owners in Luskan.

And now, in Neverwinter Online, Aribeth's name is still cursed by the people and is remembered as a traitor foe seeking vengeance on Nasher, whos remembered as some great and goodly leader, rather than a cowardly piece of filth willing to sacrifice the innocent for his own safety.
>>
>>45047084
Falling is tragic, but what matters more is getting back up.
>>
>>45048901
Exactly
>>
>>45037719
>For examples of both you need look no further than Borja
Exactly. And people like the Borja were the cause of the reforms
>>
>>45048901
all i'm saying is that love is what caused her fall, i can't deny that love also motivated her to get back on her feet
>>
>>45028060
Worst kind of paladin right here
>>
Only young boys
>>
File: kyuuby paladin.png (221KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
kyuuby paladin.png
221KB, 1000x700px
>>45032948
>>
>>45027688
Oh, stop pretending you don't know.
>>
>>45026795
Obviously, paladins should he killing all good people, least they have a chance to turn evil. Simple as that.
>>
>>45054304
And only if ladypaladins
>>
>>45023858
Not all smiting has to result in bloodshed. Sometimes in order to stop evil, the blade needs to be sheathed.Anyone who understands Latin should get the joke
>>
>>45061662
Sheath and Vagina are the same word in Latin that's the joke right
>>
>>45061662
>Anyone who understands Latin should get the joke
i got the joke and i don't know latin
>>
>>45061662
But what if she's a virgin
>>
>>45062160
DEUS VULT
>>
File: Aribeth.jpg (107KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Aribeth.jpg
107KB, 1280x1024px
>>45026569
I for one rejoiced when Neverwinter was leveled in the 4e conversion.

Toss up in every plathrough if I romance her or Nathyrra. Such a difficult decision.
>>
File: hot robot-on-robot action.png (923KB, 900x1020px) Image search: [Google]
hot robot-on-robot action.png
923KB, 900x1020px
>>45022757
Yes.
>>
File: Anakin-Skywalker-258x300.jpg (15KB, 258x300px) Image search: [Google]
Anakin-Skywalker-258x300.jpg
15KB, 258x300px
>>45022757
You might say that we are *encouraged* to love.
>>
You can love after you find your holy avenger.
>>
File: image.png (472KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
472KB, 600x441px
Yes.
>>
>>45039622
Now you understand what it means to be PALADIN
>>
>>45065889
No, I don't think that's right
>>
>>45045058

/thread
>>
>>45024163
But Anon, what greater miracle is there but love?
>>
>>45022757
They generally have high charisma and immunity to disease, making them the best lovers.
>>
>>45024163
>But only if by some miracle she survives her appointed time of sacrifice and death.
She better
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.