[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>We've been playing D&D for years and only now are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: titansB3079mak.jpg (311KB, 970x441px) Image search: [Google]
titansB3079mak.jpg
311KB, 970x441px
>We've been playing D&D for years and only now are we discovering the magic of roleplaying!
>>
>>45006209
To be fair dude, I don't think roleplaying flashbacks is that common, it's pretty hard to do without it being awkward.

Also,

>We've been playing D&D for years and only now are we discovering the magic of roleplaying!
>We've been playing D&D
>D&D

Sounds about right.
>>
>>45006209
Scott, please stop posting here.
>>
>>45006235
please love me
>>
>>45006209
This comic is awful, and your thread is terrible.

I hope this isn't one of those days where you and your two friends will just keep it bumped with idle chatter for the entire day.
>>
>>45006250
Eh?

Post the entire current storyline?
>>
>>45006250
>awful
I'd say floundering describes it more. It's not really entertaining in any way and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
It's like reading an narcoleptic accountant's diary.
>>
>>45006322
>an narcoleptic accountant's diary
Actually that sounds like something Poe or Kafka could make a hell of a story out of.
>>
>>45006386
Part of the problem is that it's just so emotionally insincere. Like, you can see the points where Kurtz wants it to be heartwarming or badass or intense, but there's no real hart behind the writing.

Just thyroid issues.
>>
This comic looks fucking retarded
>>
>>45007454
It is an epic tale of people learning to roleplay for the right reasons.
>>
>>45006386
Poe: The narcoleptic accountant starts noticing discrepancies int he books, but every time he does he falls asleep, and when he wakes up the discrepancy is gone. He starts getting enourmously stressed; is his boss a criminal, somehow taking advantage of the accountant's condition to remove the evidence of his crimes, or are there sinister forces at work, or is the accountant just losing his mind? Worrying about it makes him actually lose his mind, and he hallucinates that there ARE dark forces at work-- or maybe there actually are, and he hasn't lost his mind?

Kafka: Narcoleptic accountant works the books, through them understands the awful, soul-crushing nature of the bureaucracy which he serves, is himself crushed from above because his narcolepsy interferes with his crushing of those below, eventually goes to sleep hoping never to wake up.
>>
>>45006386
>>45008377
Yes, much like the comic, you couldn't certainly make that subject matter fascinating, but that doesn't make the material as presented (in the one, accounting records, in the other, this comic) any more enjoyable to read.
>>
>>45008377
Poe sounds much more interesting.
>>
>>45008458
I don't think the records themselves were ever the subject of comparison; the original post was

>It's like reading an narcoleptic accountant's diary.

Presumably Poe or Kafka would write a first person account in epistolary format, making the accountant's diary entries the vehicle of the narrative.
>>
>>45008583
Yes, meaning that a good author could create something with that constraint which was very interesting, as opposed to a diary written by an actual accountant. The takeaway is that Kurtz has the writing skill of a narcoleptic accountant.
>>
>>45009253
This is no surprise.
>>
>>45006209
It's not such an odd idea.

D&D is particularly notorious for the way it punishes and restricts roleplaying.
>>
File: 1759367.jpg (76KB, 318x413px) Image search: [Google]
1759367.jpg
76KB, 318x413px
>>45006227
>>45012390
Do you have time to talk about the lord?
>>
>>45008483
Kafka is mostly depressing to read.
>>
>>45012390
>D&D is particularly notorious for the way it punishes and restricts roleplaying.

Exactly how?
>>
>>45006209
Why is a baby at the table
Why does the comic look terrible
I am concerned
>>
>>45012511
The bearded guy next to him is a single dad.

It's Kurtz.
>>
>>45006209
The DM in the second panel looks incredibly retarded and im not sure why
>>
>>45012503
I thought about making the Kafka story a joke about turning into a cockroach, but I wanted to be a little more representative than that.
>>
Aw, shit, it's you guys again, bumping up this thread with your dumb chatter.

Is it because you just came home from school? You know you need to be at least 18 to post here, right?
>>
>>45012586
its ok anon, its not your fault, come hug me and just let it all out
>>
>>45012626
they do God's work, anon
>>
File: SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg (105KB, 499x691px) Image search: [Google]
SWEX-e1334179194612.jpg
105KB, 499x691px
>>45012462

I'm sorry I've pledged my loyalty to another.
>>
>>45012511
That's their rules lawyer and best player. The only one that can carry the ragtag party to safety.
>>
>>45012553
The mouth, looks like half it has a paralysis
>>
the biggest problem is the format. its a newspaper strip style comic, averaging about three panels an update and updating maybe twice a week at best, that is trying to tell a grand fantasy adventure and slice of life drama at the same time. Any sense of wonder or drama is being stifled by their decision to make the comic potentially syndicatable.
>>
File: heresy heretic.jpg (47KB, 499x468px) Image search: [Google]
heresy heretic.jpg
47KB, 499x468px
>>45012634
>>
File: 1393457013605.jpg (74KB, 700x925px) Image search: [Google]
1393457013605.jpg
74KB, 700x925px
>>45012655
>>
File: argh a.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
argh a.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
>>45012674
>>
>>45012674
I don't know what this image has to do with anything, but I'm laughing hard enough that I don't care
>>
>>45012674
Clearly he strangled a child out of anger and is now going for the child's faggot friend.
>>
>>45012653
It updates three times a week, but that's balanced out by Kurtz sometimes spending two weeks on 'cinematics' like scenery or 'splash panels' of combat.
>>
Maybe we should all admit that the comic is bad.
>>
>>45012722
I wonder what he did to deserve it
>>
>>45012789

He knows what he did. He told them he'd do it.
>>
>>45012725
>updates three times a week
it just doesn't and never has.
>>
>>45008483
Poe is Gothic in sensibility, Kafka likes social and bureaucratic oppression as the theme for his horror, Kafka likes hideous ironic torment, Poe likes Orang-utans with cut-throat razors.
>>
>>45007882
>epic
>right reasons
Don't you have a subreddit to be lurking in somewhere?
>>
>>45012390
Really? D&D's one of the most open in that regard, it eschews anti roleplaying mechanics like narrative crap, Hurt Feelings Points that penalize you for not playing your char a certain way, etc.

Its not remotely perfect but its one of the better.
>>
>>45006242
No
>>
>>45012674
My sides are in orbit
>>
>>45006209
I am amazed he somehow made a DM Mary Sue. Kurtz must jerk off to John Wick.
>>
>>45017147
>anti roleplaying mechanics like narrative crap, Hurt Feelings Points that penalize you for not playing your char a certain way, etc.

Elaborate, please?
Honestly curious about this shit.
>>
>>45022142
There's some discussion/debate/yelling-back-and-forth about the topic of RPGs and the more rules heavy approaches like D&D/GURPS and the more rules light approaches such as FATE.

People who say rules light is better, often point out that D&D is an issue because if you don't have points distributed in such a way your background/RP doesn't matter, while in rules light systems you just say it fits with the character you wrote down before and you make it work.

People who says rules light is worse, often point out that rules light systems are entirely arbitrary in how you use them and don't force you to actually keep to a character as much as it just excuses you to do what you want and when you want, while in a system with more rules the way you construct your character determines their life and background.

All of that said, it really comes down to the kind of group and kind of game.
Someone looking to abuse a rules light system will just come up with a bunch of bullshit to excuse literally anything.
Someone looking to abuse a rules heavy system will just min-max like shit and give 0 fucks about story/background.
>>
>>45022142
He's basically making strawman arguments about games that have functional mechanics around players rp'ing the things that happen.
For example, WoD is the best example of a pnp game with very strong roleplay mechanics and a narrative eye towards the system itself.
Unlike D&D, where using social mechanics and capabilities on other players is a faux paus, it is entirely expected in WoD, with both sides expected to fulfill the end of their interaction.
If we were playing WoD, and I decided to attempt to seduce your character, and succeeded, then you as a player would be obligated to follow thru on that line of rp with your pc.
>>
>>45006209
>That girl with the dyed hair
who is that semen demon?
>>
>>45022470
>who is that semen demon?

Lilith.

She plays Lylith.
>>
>>45022470
check your privilege
>>
>>45006227
How are you meant to run a flashback anyway? I tend to run a few side stories with minor characters when the whole group can't get together but never a flashback with the main players
>>
>>45022637
Apparently the players took turns telling the DM what happened to them rather than letting him control it.
>>
>>45007882
What reasons?
> epic
Please don't misuse a genre like that. Unless it is a tale that fits the definition of epic (Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size), don't use epic.
>>
>>45012503
Kafka was delressed most of the time.
>>
>>45017082
>>45023490
You fucking faggots do realize he's being ironic right?
You're just pretending to be retarded, for sure?

I mean there can't possibly be people on /tg/ this fucking new and stupid.
>>
>>45012509
The modules maybe? A coworker of mine was running a first edition campaign, and was annoyed at how inflexible the adventures were. Too many scenarios that railroaded the party into combat.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.