[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to DnD better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

File: Download.jpg (11KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
11KB, 300x168px
Quick 4chan! If you could name me one thing to make my DnD Sesson more enjoyable, what would it be (except a good party)
>>
>>45006162
I'd switch out the books used for the session with a different system.
>>
>>45006180
This desu senpai

Fantasy Age, Hackmaster, and GURPS are all fun for high fantasy
>>
>>45006162
A good GM.
>>
>>45006180
Who are you?
Every single time D&D is mentioned, you always rush to try and criticize it, like you've got some vendetta against it.

What is your mental damage? Do you actually think your endless bitching will make it stop being the most popular game? Why would you even want to try? Why waste your life constantly scanning /tg/, refreshing every minute, hoping to see someone mention D&D, just so you can show the world how fuck retarded you are?
>>
>>45006162
Do not play DnD
>>
>>45006222
>guy has a car
>guy has problems with car
>guy try to fix car
>car still malfunctions
>someone say "change car"
>guy get mad, and keep car
>guy continue to have problems with car
>"guys what should I do with car?"
>>
>>45006162
Give more options to the players. Avoid hack and slash all the time (although this is basic what the system can do). Create a good story. Let the players start their own quest. Avoid blundgeoning rules just for the sake of them.
>>
>>45006243
Nope. Not engaging you anymore. I'm just going to have to start reporting you and your little friends who just want to shit up every D&D thread like the dumb trolls you are.
>>
File: butthurt yep that's one.png (193KB, 328x251px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt yep that's one.png
193KB, 328x251px
>>45006257
>>
>>45006180
This.
There are a thousand and one systems that are better. DnD is really a game that can be fun in spite of the system, rather than because of it.

Savage Worlds, GURPS, and Traveller all come to mind as better systems for a dungeon-delving game. Yes, Traveller. You can do fucking anything with it.
>>
>>45006162
A common understanding of what everyone hopes to see out of the game.
>>
Heavy drinking
>>
>>45006257
I guess he's not alone about "do not play DnD" stuff.
Maybe you should try a different system. After all, you're the one not enjoying DnD. You said it yourself on your post. If you don't enjoy it, change it.
>>
>>45006162
if your playing 5e switch to any other edition (4e doesent count as an edition it may be fun but d&d it aint)

a less shitposty answer is just change things up a tiny bit i guess not to much though
>>
Can anybody explain to me WHY Savage World or GURPS is better than D&D? I hear everyone talk about it all the time but nobody ever explains why.
>>
>>45006319
because people just like to shit on d&d
>>
>Metal dice
>Minuatures with a washable marker friendly playmat
>Giving players more options when going into a fight than "Kill the enemy as fast as possible by throwing all the things we have at it".
>Make Martials on par with casters if you're using 3.pf
>Ban save or die spells. They're just boring.

Also, D&D is not a bad system. It's just that a lot of hipsters browse /tg/ and attack anything popular. Just have fun with your game and don't listen to the badwrongfun crowd.
>>
>>45006331
Pretty much this.
>>
>>45006162
If you are physically hosting, provide dinner, if that is not too expensive. If it is, provide some light appetizers. My recommendation is Bacon Wrapped Dates. Wrap a Date in a strip of bacon, stick a toothpick through to hold it in place. Repeat until you feel you have enough, then bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees farenheight. Or 177 degrees Celsius if you use metric.
>>
>>45006294
>>45006295
This and this. If you're a GM the first is especially important, the second... also good but can result in games that go a bit mental and then you forget what happened when it comes to the next session. In my experience at least
>>
>>45006311
You can complain about any system, you retarded troll.

Maybe you should stop being a faggot, or at least stop attacking a game solely because it's the most popular one. Really, if you were attacking it for any other reason, you would also be popping up in every other game thread, complaining about all those other games like the faggot you are.

What's your goal? To try and get people to stop discussing D&D here, just by being an insufferable cunt every time it's mentioned?

If that's your plan, you're really just rolling Sisyphus's stone. I'd recommend quitting before you waste your life away being bitter about how much people like a particular game.
>>
>>45006319
>>45006331
Shitposting aside I too would be interested in hearing some anons talk about the strengths and weaknesses in comparison to 5e of other systems that go for high fantasy
>>
>>45006292
>>45006243
>>45006224
>>45006180
>BADWRONGFUN
>>
As a GM I left my players have a big say in what goes on in our world. Also my friends are also all decent human beings so it works.
>>
>>45006312
>switch from the unanimously least hated edition
>but not to the one that's actually good
>switch to one of the clusterfucks instead! It isn't real D&D if it isn't a badly designed mess!
>>
>>45006348
>GURPS
>Strengths
A lot of splat books
It can do everything
>Weaknesses
It's a clusterfuck of a headache to learn the rules unless you're going strict GURPS lite only.
It does everything just "okay". Nothing really great is from the system.
>>
>>45006319
Both systems are better written, better envisioned and good to do anything as they are generic and player/DM friendly.
You can create anything without the need to homebrew anything, since they do not have nebulous rules: it is transparent to everyone.
So basically, you can create your own classes without any unbalance, dungeon dwelve and slay dragons without any unecessary complications.
GURPS and Savage Worlds do what DnD can do. And some peopel say that they can do it better. Download the core books and see it for yourself.
If you don't like it, go back to D&D. Maybe change the version. 2nd edition was a good dungeon crawler, 3.x/pathfinder are really good for caster players, 4th is a sausagefest/clusterfuck of powerful characters that don't need to give a fuck about anything because they have the biggest dick and finnaly the 5th is a combination of 2nd and 3.xxx with the simplicity of the 4th.
>>
>>45006332
But he's not having fun with his game. That's his entire premise. At least, his players aren't.
>>
>>45006373
GURPS can do everything, it's just that it can only do them "just okay".
>>
>>45006343
>Attacking because it's popular
I always thought that white wolf system was mroe popular. I'm not attackign because of it. I'm attacking it, because it is too plain and too lame.
>>
>>45006382
In the OP he's asking ways to make it MORE fun. That doesn't mean that the party is having NO fun in the game. That's like assuming the middle class man buying a lottery ticket to get richer has NO money.
>>
>>45006389
Just okay is still superior than "meh". It's like a Fighter in 3.xxxx. They can't fight. it's a paradox. You can have more fun doing dungeong and dragons without Dungeons & Dragons. And apparently his group is not enjoying it:>>45006162
>>
>>45006343
>nope, not engaging you anymore
>continues to engage
But he's right, anon. You just seem indescribably butthurt that people don't think D&D is the best thing ever.

>>45006162
In all seriousness, now, I would reccimend trying a couple of other systems. If after doing that, you still want to go back to D&D, you'll at least be going back with fresh ideas and a broader outlook.
>>
>>45006418
>More enjoyable=/= My group is having no fun whatsoever
Also, changing systems and meticulously learning them over a two week period is not fun for anyone.
>>
>>45006389
> wrong opinions
GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy is objectively better than D&D.
>>
>>45006365
im about to say something you will really hate anon

3e is best edition
>>
>>45006348
GURPS and SW are generic, modular games.

GURPS prides itself on being able to do anything, with a simple core mechanic of "roll 3d6", and with its huge amount of splats it actually delivers.

Savage Worlds' goal is to be fast fun and furious. It replaces stats/skills with dice size (so you always know what to roll right away, no modifiers to add), sets up a simple degree of success mechanic with the target number being 4, but earning "raises" by every 4 you pass that. Character building/advancement is done by using edges, which are kinda like feats. Combat is fast and dangerous because of exploding dice.
>>
>>45006435
>Also, changing systems and meticulously learning them over a two week period is not fun for anyone.

Oh, right, another advantage to many other systems is that they re easier to pick up than modern D&D.
>>
>>45006442
All I feel is pity
>>
>>45006350
Badwrongfun is used to describe people who have fun playing a system in a way they do not agree with. It is not used to describe people who recommend different systems because they may be more fulfilling for a player.

If your going to meme at least know what the fucking buzzwords mean.
>>
>>45006450
>you always know what to roll right away, no modifiers to add
Um. It's not really hard to have all the modifiers written out on your sheet nice and clean and then just adding that to whatever you roll. People seem to think it's an anathema to fun to take two seconds to add a modifier to your roll.

>>45006454
Tell me three systems that I can learn in under two hours each. The full system, no rules lite edition. It took me two hours total to learn how to play D&D fully so that's how long you get.
>>
>>45006472
well dont worry i recognize the system has its flaws for sure not so much the caster supremacy that people talk about which is there a tiny amount but nowhere near as much as people say it it as stuff like the skill system.
>>
>>45006450
Thanks anon I appreciate the write up.
>>
>>45006435
If you know basic math you already mastered GURPS by default. Now you use Lite. And you don't even need to read anything. if you want a fast experience DnD style, you play Dungeon Fantasy. New system in 10 minutes plus the time to create your special snowflake to murderhobbo the dungeons.
>>
>>45006487
Not that anon but how fast can you read? Your exclusion criteria is awefully subjective.
>>
>>45006487
Strike!
Savage Worlds
FATE
Dungeon World
Lasers and Feelings
Lady Blackbird

Frankly, I can't think of a system I played that can't be learned in less than 2 hours.

Also, this makes >>45006435
Fucking childish
>waaaah, I don't want to spend time learning another system!
>I already spent 2 hours learning D&D!
>>
>>45006534
350-400 wpm
>>
>>45006162
What edition you're playing? What happened so far?
>>
What people don't seem to realise is that it's more than just one person learning the basics of the system. It's a group of 4-7 people all learning the system and being led by someone with a degree of mastery of the system and experience GMing. It'll take more than 2 hours as one anon said to teach everyone the system and learn how to GM with that system.
>>
>>45006567
We learned nWoD on the fly because my players decided that they wanted to be Changelings, because someone saw the book and found it awesome.
We learned the core, changeling and then fucking werewolf because fucking Bob (not his real name) thinks a giant troll made of stone removing the head of a full grown man is too faggy because he's a "fairy".
We went full nWoD ever since.
>>
>>45006547
5e has 320 pages with ~1000 words per page. So roughly it takes you close to 2.5 mins to read a page. So the whole book took you ~800 minutes to read aka ~12 hours.

So your criteria should be: name three systems I can read in 12ish hours.
>>
>>45006502
3.PFs problems are threefold. On one hand, the math simply breaks down the higher you go (including skills). There's also the power difference between same classed characters on different optimization levels, and then there's the difference between the classes themselves, and their options to affect the narrative, both inside and outside of combat.

I mean, if those don't bother you it's an ok system. Kinda self defeating to have so many rules that trip over themselves, but whatever, have fun.
>>
>>45006641
You don't need to read the entire fucking book to learn a system.
>>
>>45006663
Yes you don't. But apparently, OP think it does. Since Lite versions - who are basically exactly what you said ("not the entire fucking book to learn the system") is beyond him. He won't read them.
>>
>>45006567
Actually happened with me with Strike!

I was the only one who read the book prior to a session I had to improvise because it happened impromptu. Like "hey Anon, how about you hold a session for us right now?". We had characters ready in 2 hours, with 2 out of 4 players never played an RPG before. Then the session went without a hitch. Only reason we are not playing regularly is that the 2 non RP-ers are in a different city.
>>
>>45006680
I think it's because if he read a rules lite version of D&D it would have taken under 5 minutes to learn it.
>>
>>45006663
you sort of do

you dont have to remember all of it right away that would be insane but you should at least have read it all
>>
>>45006658
This.
The problem is that there are a lot of rules, and the rules at the foundation of it all just don't work, or at the least, achieve what is advertised.
>>
>>45006663
>The full system, no rules lite edition.
So the whole book retard. If you were just looking for the bare bones of a system you should have said stated that origionally.
>>
>>45006757
I learned to play the 4th edition only by creating my character. I never read the rest of the books. And I won't read them.
I already know what I need to know. The rest is DM's territory or minmaxers optmization "I want to win all the time" territory. I play for fun and giggles. And I don't need to learn the entire system for that. And I still don't know how it all works. And I won't learn it! And I still play like a fucking champion!
Judge me.
>>
>>45006805
Nobody expects you to do that. They are poking fun at/calling out
>>45006487
>The full system, no rules lite edition.

Either he's holding D&D to different standards than other games, or he's the Rain Man.
>>
You don't need to get togetehr to learn a system. Download the shit you wanna play today. Tell the players to do the same. They'll read on their pace on their time. When you meet to play you will already have more than the basic notions. Then play it. If you enjoy it, read more. Play again. If you really liek the system, buy the fucking book and roll with it. Or don't.
>>
>>45006867
This works in just about every system that's not post 1e D&D. If you don't want to play properly and ignore a great deal of the rules you can learn D&D as quickly, but at that point you're not playing the system, you're just using it in the background while the DM has to houserule on the fly.
>>
>>45006162
Have you tried asking your group that question?
>>
>>45006162

Do not limit yourself or your players with Core only.

Some splatbooks are really good. Use them

No, martial initiators are not overpowered. Party has two tier 1 fullcasters ffs
>>
>>45006162
>what would it be (except a good party)
A good DM?

Those are basically the only two things that matter.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.