[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 44

File: IMG_20160103_191108.jpg (496KB, 1023x754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160103_191108.jpg
496KB, 1023x754px
More space wolves shitposting edition
>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
>>
Still lookin for them corsairs!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 6546456.jpg (863KB, 1540x2000px) Image search: [Google]
6546456.jpg
863KB, 1540x2000px
Reminder that 40K may be bad but it isn't AoS bad.
>>
first for yiff
>>
>>44996135
No scans needed, rules are already online...
>>
>>44996196
Unless you buy the books or get the mobi files the game is shit.
>>
>>44996169
>mortuary factory
It makes mortuaries?

I always wanted a factory that makes funeral homes.
>>
File: AWAKEN MY MASTERS.jpg (66KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
AWAKEN MY MASTERS.jpg
66KB, 540x960px
>>
>>44996196
link? All the ones I've found are for the original IA 11 not the update.
>>
File: TempestusScionsgroupshot.jpg (74KB, 800x634px) Image search: [Google]
TempestusScionsgroupshot.jpg
74KB, 800x634px
Anybody else run Scions? I just started running a ground assault formation. I use a mix of space marines and normal guard as allies. I also enjoy running all 4 assassins with them, along with a knight. Anybody have any war stories about playing with a large amount of Scions or against them?
>>
>>44996288
I wanted too, because human operational operators appealed to me greatly. I then realized the codex has 4 choices.
>>
>>44996196

Not with point values. Where are these rules you speak of?
>>
>>44996277
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Eldar_Corsairs_(7E)

+

Battlescribe data will get you a reasonable way in. Also you should buy the IA book.
>>
>>44996427

Battlescribe is for fags. Buying shit before you know what it does is for double-fags.
>>
>>44996288
In my personal opinion, people who field Super heavies and GC's in regular game are cunts.

No offence.
>>
>>44996269
>Wishlisting/complaining time.

I've always wanted a Talon weapon. I hope these rules don't turn out to be absolute shit. I want my 13th company army to be playable. I also hope that helfrost weapons get an actual fucking inclusion instead of being mondo-hyped and being on like two units in the entire dex and making it ridiculous to have more than two of them in your army. Helfrost Long Fang weapons? Add Helfrost to Frost weapons to make them more viable? Gimme something! Also, fuck TWC. They're cool but I don't care for playing with OP units, it gives me less a feeling of accomplishment when I win. I like a balanced unit, not a busted one. I refuse to play Wolfstar, and just run a unit of 3, sometimes a Wolf Lord among them.

Dreadnoughts need updates, Scouts need severe points drops since all fucking scouts are WS/BS4 now, and If that's the case with scouts, all "____Claw" Units need to be WS/BS4 as well.
>>
>>44996169
that map looks like it was made on a facebook game app.
>>
These threads focus way too much on the shitty tabletop.

What fluff are you completely in love with fa/tg/uys?

What stories do you want to take place or be released?

What are your factions biggest threats currently and do you think they'll be able to resist it?

What's really getting you annoyed because you just feel that the events transpiring are a complete punch in the dick?
>>
>>44996528
Oh I agree, I always ask if my opponent is ok with fighting one before a game though
>>
>>44996528
I agree anon. You are not alone and you should mean offense.
>>
>>44996599
Man so close to quad dubs.
>>
>>44996475
>you can use these resources to check out the rules and options even if sometimes the points are slightly off
>you should buy it if you think it's good
>you're a fag

stay pleb
>>
>>44996599
It's not like the fluff is any better. It's slowly losing its edge, because GW is aiming for a younger and younger demographic. The codex writers have gone to shit, BL is doing nothing but milk HH and Abnett is never gonna finish Gaunt's Ghosts.
>>
Can someone explain what makes imperial knights good? Not bait, I'm just an idiot, basically. Their shooting doesn't look stellar given their cost and they only get an invuln save on one facing, what do they offer over other Lords of War? What is it that I'm not seeing?
>>
>>44996599
>What fluff are you completely in love with fa/tg/uys?
In love with anything Aaron Dembski-Bowden

>What stories do you want to take place or be released?
I want something on Garren Crowe's backstory and the daemon blade he wields.

>What are your factions biggest threats currently and do you think they'll be able to resist it?
Chaos cause I play Grey Knights. They will resist them, but it's always been a losing fight...

>What's really getting you annoyed because you just feel that the events transpiring are a complete punch in the dick?
I haven't read any of the new fluff
>>
Day 30 and my gaunts are almost half way done.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it seems to escape from me as fast as I pursue it.
I question if I'll ever escape this Sisyphusian torment.
>>
My favourite amies are Chaos Space marines and Orks. How long will I have to hold out for a new codex thats actually playable versus all this horrible shit at my local club?
>>
>>44996599
The pre-ward era of the long long not really that long a
N/A if we get quality
>What are your factions biggest threats currently and do you think they'll be able to resist it?
Man 40k is only war and suffering, outside of tau land. And places that aren't warzones 50% of the time, 100% of the time.
>What's really getting you annoyed because you just feel that the events transpiring are a complete punch in the dick?
The ward
>>
>>44996785
Orks already have their 7th edition Codex.

CSM will have to wait until AT LEAST 2017
>>
>>44996695
The shooting is better than what you would get one most other platforms for the cost, and with AV 13, it's hard to damage without bringing a lot of S 8+ weapons, and then it can ignore half of them. The stubber is able to mark targets to be charged so you can effectively delete 2 units a turn.
>>
>Leman Russ is the worst primarch
>Ultramarines are the best chapter
>Tau are glorious good guys
>Eldar are more Japanese that Tau
>Matt Ward was a good writer
>Newcrons are better than Oldcrons
>Abbaddon is a success
>Imperial Guard is useless
>>
>>44996695
Being able to stomp, ignoring vehicle damage table results for the most part, being able to fire at multiple targets.
>>
One of the best things about Daemons is that whilst they play really weird and awkward, you can blast out the toolkit against assholish lists on the fly.

For example, that one time someone took three Knights to a pickup game and I killed two of them through a mix of Psyker shit and well picked summons.

The hard part is honestly finding the balance between holding back to not be a dick against most things, and overdoing it and being a bunch of useless gimmicks that do no real damage.
>>
>>44996785
>>44996785
As soon as you use your CSM as SM

Orks have a few gimmicks and are lower on the update totem pole then quite a few armies.

However with the new book series I would love to see a new supplement
>>
>>44996815
So the Knight's stubber works the same as a co-axle weapon?
>>
>>44996288
I want to run scions alongside my knight but I can't give them chimeras with their stand alone codex.
>>
>>44996913
>>44996785

Something something Blitz Brigade.
>>
>>44996695

Its super cost effective - it comes with the stubber which means you get to mark a charging target and not waste your good shooting potentially wiping that out. The Crusader has enough firepower to severely damage if not wipeout two units a turn. It is just a super cost effective package.

>>44996599

I'm currently fluffing up my war convocation. They're going to be from Urdesh which was taken over by Chaos during the Sabbat Crusades but retaken later. They've formed a War Convocation specifically to hunt down relics stolen during the occupation.
>>
>>44996169
I genuinely can't tell if this is a fan map or official GW product.
>>
>>44996955
In an ideal world, the Scion codex would have every vehicle in the Guard codex, heavy weapon teams and instead of artillery, they'd have their own Master of Ordnance type dude, who can call down all types of air strikes and bombardments. Give them some snipers, and you got a legit codex.
>>
Just had my first game with my new CSM force against Tau today.

>He's got a few infantry squads, with crisis suits, a riptide, and broadside in reserver
>Start with a few cultists and a Sonic Dreadnought on the board, keeping the Noise marines and chosen back to avoid the alpha-strike
>Poor positioning on his part puts his Fire warriors in range of my cultists
>Charge in after his turn, only lose a couple in overwatch
>Somehow get beaten up by Tau in close-combat
>Next turn, all his suits show up. Broadside kills the Dreadnought in one shot before it can do anything, Riptide and Crisis teams chew through the cultists
>Chosen and Noise marines come on after, Chosen unleash a rapid-fire plasma volley at the riptide
>Very good rolling
>1 wound left
>Turns around next turn and blows them all up
>Noise marines try to advance up, good saves keep them alive for the turn
>End on turn 4 with a handful of cultists still alive, game was basically over before that

I was expecting to lose, but I wasn't expecting to lose that badly.
>>
>>44997098

You don't reserve to alpha strike, you reserve to null deploy and counter a hard alpha.
>>
>>44997135
That's what I did. I knew that if I started them on the board they would just get blown up by his suits before doing anything. Instead, they were busy trying to kill cultists.
>>
>>44996599
I wish there were more fap fanfic. 40k is extremely sexless in its fluff
>>
>>44997162

But you had no capacity to Alpha strike with them. Plus you said his suits were also reserved. If his suits were reserved why reserve your units - had you had the shooting on the table to alpha you may have downed the FWs before he got his suits in.
>>
>>44997181
Fuck off Deviant Art. You're scum isn't welcome here
>>
>>44996815
Is there ever a reason to take the melta over the stubber?
>>
>>44996778
Kyle?
>>
>>44996599
I want a Tau vs. Thousand Sons campaign book
>>
>>44997260

Not realistically no. The stubber acts as a target painter and might kill a model or two. Its not as though two ord. str 8 shots are bad anti-armor anyway.
>>
>>44997221
As a Tau player this doesn't matter. Leaving them off the board would probably keep them a live longer because I would be focusing on the shit closer to me.

In the end it'd just get blown up eventually.
>>
>>44997248
+1
>>
>>44997221
I might have, if his Fire Warriors weren't all hidden behind a building on the other side of the board.

His suits were coming in, it was just a matter of if they would have valid targets when they did.

If they were on the board, the Riptide would have just blown them all up without letting them get any shots off.
>>
>>44997221

It's obviously a ret cadre from the description. Not sure why he has fire warriors on field in combination with a ret cadre given the points involved, but eh.

He has a guaranteed turn two strike. With +1 BS for the turn. Possibly even with shred against a unit of choice if a Dawn Blade.

And ret cadres are fucking nasty on their strike turn. I decimated a Decurion with my Dawn Blade when I tested it out: The dead pile was astonishingly large considering how tough Decurions are, whilst mine was much tinier.
>>
>>44996599
Imperium. I've been finding myself enjoying morally grey characters, and a dying empire forced to restore to dark methods to stay afloat fits that bill.
I would like some stories about Crusade era Iron Hands to be a thing.
Nids and Chaos. I think it could go either way on who wins.
Grimderp for the sake of grimderp, or cliches that have gotten old.
>>44996675
Also all of this.
>>
>>44997295
I'd literally whore myself out for 1k Sons or even Tzeentch in general, I have a mighty need
>>
>>44997356

That's why it sucks to play CSM because you have no alpha strike and you can't null deploy effectively, I get it.

>>44997367
So they were all hidden behind a building but you could assault them with cultists? It just doesn't add up. You went first so you clearly had the opportunity to do something before he did plus his hitters were in reserve. I don't see how you couldn't shoot at his FWs but you could somehow assault them with basic infantry sans shitty infiltration.

>>44997388
Never stated it was Ret Cadre - if your friend plays Ret against CSM, he's not your friend to begin with. That said I still don't see good play. Honestly if you know you're playing Tau and a strong formation at that why aren't you taking the things that are good in the book?
>>
>>44997304
Ok, makes sense
>>
>>44997479

Crisis suits, broadside and Riptide in reserves.

It's a ret cadre.
>>
>>44997479
>So they were all hidden behind a building but you could assault them with cultists?

One squad moved up into a building and got in range of my cultists, the others moved further away because I had my Sonic dreadnought nearby to try and shoot them out of their cover

>You went first

No, he did. He got deployment and spent his first turn shuffling his infantry around.
>>
>>44997479
Not him but I play KDK in a pretty diverse meta but don't see tau. I bring three hel drakes at 1500 and a 12 bike gorepack.
I put up a fight against dark angels and space wolves most of the time but eldar, Ultramarines and crons (even daemons now) are wrecking me.
Tyranids is my best match up in the meta.
>>
>>44996937
no its a completely separate gun, but since you can only charge things you shot at it "paints" the target.
>>44996650
Tried battlescribe, seems like they're missing a lot of the formations and shit.
>>
Ret Cadre and Op Stealth Cadre combo well both thematically and rules wise, but are really hard to both fit into a list points wise.
>>
>>44997520

So was he playing Ret Cadre or not? Either way you knew what he was reserving so why did you choose to reserve your stuff AFTER you knew what he was reserving? I'm trying to figure out why you'd want to keep your hitters in reserve when you know you've got a chance at a decent alpha strike, sure you can't pod in or infiltrate in but you know you've got one turn before his suits come in. Why hold yours in reserve? Was the idea that you'd basically deny him two turns of shooting?

I'm not trying to be an asshole - I get it Tau are better than CSM pretty much every time. But I think you did some things you could have improved on here.

>>44997617

I also play KDK (among other things) in the SoCal area. Stop taking three drakes, stop taking any bikes that aren't characters joining flesh hounds. KDK is only good if you know what to take.
>>
This question isn't about units, it is about special rules and general concepts in the game.

>What shows something as being strong?

>What shows something as being good?

>What is a clear sign of badly written rules?

>What is a sign of over powered?
>>
>>44997734
He was running Retribution Cadre, and mentioned as such, so I decided I'd keep some them back so they didn't just die immediately.

I wasn't confident about their ability to get across the board and kill all his infantry before his suits came in to kill my stuff.

I didn't really have the best variety of units to work with, and I would have taken some more transports if I had them.

I might have done so if I knew he would run forward with that one squad like he did, but that still leaves the other squad hiding in the corner that I had no way of reaching.
>>
I feel like 40k could use a complete rules overhaul, both BRB and codices. Cut down on the USRs, make assault and shooting different but equal, take a look at force org, maybe implement a percentage system like Fantasy, stuff like that.
>>
>>44997836

The unit variety will come in time, I highly suggest investing in Spawn. They're a very good unit. I'd also consider some bikes and a drake.
>>
>>44997836

I came across as a dick and for that I apologize. What I meant to do was point out that while your book isn't as good as your buddy there are some things you could have done in this specific game to have a better performance.

If you know your opponent is going to null deploy for a beta strike your best bet is try to punch him in the guts before he launches it. I'd have deployed your models and tried to punch out the Fire Warriors early. Granted him playing Ret Cadre against you with you having a smaller collection wasn't sporting to begin with.
>>
>>44997734
>>44997734
Unfortunately I can't afford to not take 80% of the models in my collection. Though I have been thinking about dropping a drake or two and switching all my bikes to be more close combat oriented. Maybe getting some bloodcrushers and a second hq instead.
>>
>>44997841
Agreed. I lurk here a lot, and while I'm interested in the setting, and I love the models, the fact that the game itself is a giant pile of turbofucked horseshit is the biggest factor holding me back. And the idea that power balance swings enormously from edition to edition for everyone except Eldar makes it worse. Even if I pick an army that's decent this edition, next edition it could be bottom tier and there's nothing to be done about it.

They really need to just pull back and take a good, long look at the whole game. Tweak the core rules to balance out the stabby and shooty, bring some sense to the dozens of unit types, adjust the distribution of various weapon types, bring vehicles and monstrous creatures into parity. And then, with a saner core ruleset, sit down and design all of the codices in one in-house go. Get all the rules, all the armies, lined up and balanced and flavorful and what-not, before even printing the first book.
>>
>>44997784
Take equivalents from other codices and compare, or compare it to the other units from the same codex with a similar role. General Concepts and Special rules only exist to improve on models, so i'll look at models with good rules.
>strong
Weapon strength, range and fire rate, special rules and mobility.
>good
Price, synergy, opportunity cost
>badly written rules
No-brainer choices, trap options, vague wording open to RAW/RAI shenanigans
>Over Powered
Being better than any other unit in its field.
Internal Overpowered units are better than anything else in the codex-look at Dreadknights. Grey Knights are overcosted in general except for a tough, strong, mobile MC.
External Overpowered's posterboy is the Wraithknight. Jump MC, Ranged D weapons, huge toughness, good invulns, less than 300 points.
Wraithknight to Imperial Knight-Wraithknight is way better in every way for fifty-odd points cheaper, has better guns, GC is miles better than Walker.
Wraithknight to stompa-still many times as good despite being less than half price.
Wraithknight to Gorkanaut-hahahahaha
>>
>>44997896
I've heard good things about Spawn and Heldrakes, though I've already picked up a few bikers. Just don't have them assembled yet.

>>44997970
Yeah. I was rather worried about the setup, but he just seemed really eager to test it out, and I was eager to try out my Chaos force.
>>
>>44997784
Rules are badly written when we have arguments over what they mean for half a thread
>>
>>44997841
Eh. Personally i think 40k is in a pretty good place rules wise. Though assault could use a bit of a tweak. Perhaps bring back assaulting from outflank/inflitrate and make overwatch require a characteristic test (say iniative or LD).
Force building rules are great IMO. No need for change, variety and options keeps things interesting.

Pretty much alll the complaints fall down too certain unita being over/under costed. All that really needs doing is adjusting points costs.
>>
>>44998051
>Personally i think 40k is in a pretty good place rules wise
Are you for fucking real?
>>
>>44997998
How hard could it be? Like honestly? It doesn't have to be perfect, they just gotta try.
>>
>>44998101
The system and the balance are two different things, I personally really like the system right now, with assault being the notable exception.
>>
>>44998202
>The system and the balance are two different things
Not at all. If something is unbalanced, it's a bad system. And currently, assault is impossible, stuff that should be Apocalypse only is in normal 40k, and Tau/Eldar violently rape everything.
>>
>>44998263
Assault and shooting get flipped, how does this change the game?
>>
>>44998263

Assault isn't impossible, it is just reserved to highly specialized units in a few specific armies. I play War Convo and have no issues charging things and beating them savagely with infiltrators and ruststalkers.
>>
>>44998275
No shooting is impossible, stuff that should be Apocalypse only is in normal 40k, and Eldar violently rape everything
>>
>>44998275
You mean the assault phase comes before the shooting phase, so you have to forgo shooting to assault?

It changes assault from bad to beyond awful.
>>
>>44998309
Not no shooting, I mean

Move - Psychic - Assault - Shooting

Assault and Shooting are flipped.

>>44998311
Why so?
>>
>>44996288
Ive got an SS company, they are fun to run because everyone is afraid of the AP3 then they ignore the russes with AP2. I mostly run them when i fight CSM or SM, otherwise they are a waste of points in my opinion
>>
>>44998263
>If something is unbalanced, it's a bad system
Not when its a mater of points comp, its a bad system when its's not fun or doesn't work well, not when points are assigned poorly.
> assault is impossible
An assault centruc army is likely bad, ther are fine assault units, including the sicarians from admech etc.
>stuff that should be Apocalypse only is in normal 40k
OK, nice opinion.
>Tau/Eldar violently rape everything.
Again points comp.
Assault is to difficult to make happen, and to boring when it does, that and points comp are my only issues with the game atm.
>>
>>44998263
Alright to put it another way then. For the most part the only bad parts of 40ks system are the points costs. The rule mechanics are good.
>>
>>44998372
*too
*too
fucking hell me.
>>
File: tumblr_nf4w2oI8P31s2wio8o2_500.gif (2MB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nf4w2oI8P31s2wio8o2_500.gif
2MB, 500x600px
>>44998275
Welcome back to 4th Edition.
>>
>>44998302
And yet every codex has 20-50% of the book devoted to assault units. Orks, Tyranids, Blood Angels, all of them are full of assault units that are terrible because they don't have the ridiculous amount of special rules and exceptions needed to succeed in assault nowadays.

I remember a few editions ago when Assault Marines were ridiculously good. Now they're just shit. It needs to be more in the middle.
>>
>>44998275
>>44998430
Fuck. I thought you meant Assault became op in terms of power and Shooting sucked like Assault.
>>
>>44998372
>its a bad system when its's not fun or doesn't work well
Having a unit of Guardsmen instantly deleted by a Wraithknight isn't fun nor does it work well. And we can just ignore the fact that it costs less than 500 points. So it has shitty rules, and it's underpriced.

>Again points comp
When a unit of Firewarriors can take out a full-sized unit of Death Company in one turn of shooting thanks to 'markerlights' (Tau for bullshit) it's not points, it's shitty rules.
>>
>>44998455

Topfuckingkek mate - Assault Marines were good in 3rd edition when you consolidated into new combats and never after that. 3 S4 attacks a model on a more expensive Marine is not good.
>>
>>44998360
Well, it means that you no longer have the option to soften them up with shooting before you charge even if it's just a few bolt pistols.

It means that aiming to stay in combat for at least two round as to prevent the other guy from shooting you is no long viable as combat is resolved before shooting. It would mean you would have to hope that your slap fight concludes in EXACTLY three turns or that your unit does so amazingly awful they die in one round of combat, softening the enemy up before you shoot them.

I suppose there is the option of killing a unit in assault then shooting a different unit but lets be honest, even if it was allowed most units capable to butchering a whole unit in one round don't have particularly great shooting attacks.
>>
>>44998516
>If 50 gaurdsman can kill a single gaurdsman it's a problem, despite the difference in price.
Having strong effects if fun, and nice to have in an over the top setting, they just need to be priced appropriately, which they currently aren't.
Take an aspren and crymore.
>>
>>44998516

How can 24 S5 shots down a full sized unit of T5 FnP 3+ marines. That math doesn't work. Not unless you're adding in an Ethereal or something. Also - Markerlights are designed to be a force multiplier so they should make the units around them better.

I'm not disagreeing with the overall bent of what you're getting at but your examples are bad. You sound like a really whiny CSM player as opposed to someone with actual unbiased opinions on the subject.
>>
>>44998455
Can't think of a single unit in the Ork codex except for MANZ that is dedicated melee unit.

I see no access to shred, no ap weapons except PK's, no bonus to assault or charges, have furious charge but that is just a one time situational buff. Nothing else screams out any semblance of a unit that is meant to be stuck in, except for 3 attacks in melee, which is nice but again lacking the above.

So we have;

Warbosses
Manz
Stormboyz
Deff Dread

for dedicated melee.

Then support roles;

Big Mek, Mek, Painboyz, Weirdboyz, Special characters.

Then in the middle somewhere;

Boys, Grots, Kommandos, Nobz. Warbikers.

Then shooting units:
Burna Boyz, Lootas, Flash Gitz, Mek Guns, Dakkajet variants; Looted Wagons; Orkanauts

And then everything else. So I'm not seeing how Orks have a 20% dedicated assault unit spread across their books, or how they can even be considered "assault" units due to having a couple extra attacks yet still low strength.
>>
>>44998580
T4, but 5++ which is objectively better.
>>
Blood Angel fluff seems really cool to me but I know they aren't the best and won't be updated soon. Is it worth starting 40k with an actual BA force or should I just paint red space marines and use their codex in the game.

Are there any cool Blood Angel models or bits I could use for regular space marines?

Would using both troop slots for scouts be bad. Both choices bore me and I just want them to sit on an objective.
>>
>>44998523
Being a nigh-invulnerable unit with powerful special weapons that carries grenades that can crack anything short of a Monolith isn't exactly shit. Before all this s6 and AP2 shooting was fucking everywhere, you could send an assault squad to jump behind enemy lines, multi-assault a platoon of tanks and nuke them into fucking oblivion. If they don't die, they go kill another unit. If they get shot, it took way more than 200 points to kill them, and they took out a fuckton of rear-guard.

God, that was the shit. Now they can't even jump out and nuke a vehicle or something the turn they pop up.
>>
>>44998580
I was watching a battlereport on miniwargaming, and I think the Tau had an Ethereal. All this rules bullshit, it just pisses me off is all.
>>
>>44998455

Orks are a mass volume mid range shooting army that has a few units that one can use to block key combats/tie down units. That said the bulk of the army is actually designed to be an 18" dice machine. The issue currently being that at 18" Tau are blasting your asshole to bits.
>>
change charge back to d6+6

bring back target priority, meaning you can tarpit your assault units to get them into CC

remove tau
>>
>>44998660
They could be updated at any time actually.
>>
>>44998553
On the contrary, it is still going to take a fair while to get into combat, so your x amount of turns spent shooting is the "softening" up of targets.

Also makes it a very difficult choice if played right, for example do I go to tie up his assault unit heading towards me or should I focus on his back line, can I guarantee that I'll keep them down while I press my advantage.

Currently it feels like, ok what do you have, lets select this unit delete it, and then whatever you have left I'll tie up or just assault with stuff that shouldn't be in melee cause you're at 1 model.

Not really seeing a downside to it.
>>
>>44998660
Your best bet is playing them as Red Marines, as much as it pains me to say this.
>>
>>44998695
>remove Tau

You do realize that you would just remove Hunter Contingent? That would send Tau back to 6th edition where they were simply just good.

Eldar are by far and away a larger problem at the Codex level than Tau, Necrons or Ad Mech can ever hope to be.
>>
>>44998661

Did you ever play 40k at a competitive level? Assault Marines have been a bad choice since 4th edition. Having melta bombs is worthless given that you kill marines with volume before they make combat. The fact that you think S6 AP2 is what makes the game bad and assault bad shows that you're not particularly good at 40k. The reason assault is dead is because volume shooting is at an all time high, not good AP shooting. It never took more than 200 points to kill an assault squad - it took doing 30 wounds, the same as it takes to kill a 10 man marine squad.

>>44998689

Well yeah once you start tossing Ethereals and the like in they're going to get much better but that's a much higher points investment.
>>
>>44998660
Look into their tabletop rules more their are tons of formations and supplements I think. If I remember some of them let you take alternate troop choices or are formations that don't bother with them
>>
>>44998784
was mostly a joke. I actually have an old tau army. it's just their entire playstyle revolves around "make a gunline and field as many riptides as you feasibly can"
>>
>>44998821
That's early 6th edition Tau that was getting exposed even as of late 6th early 7th.

Tau win a lot of the more competitive games on the back of their mobility than their range.
>>
>>44998821
>make a gunline
This is not a decent way to play Tau, it's both boring and not effective.
> field as many riptides as you feasibly can
Riptides aren't the end all be all of the dex, and have well they are the sturdiest thing in the book (baring shitsurge) they under-dakka say crisis or broadsides.
>>
>>44998660
Blood Angels rules for 30k should be coming out next month which will basically be like having an entirely different way to play the army. With the way the current 40k codex is...you might have more fun AND win more with a 30k list until they update the 40k codex. Two birds with one stone?
>>
>>44998738
>it is still going to take a fair while to get into combat, so your x amount of turns spent shooting is the "softening" up of targets.
That's just shooting, not assault. You don't blast a space marine squad with plasma to soften them up for your assault units, you aim to remove them.

It sounds like the right choice is to always go for the back line, then over watch the assault unit because it doesn't matter if they don't kill your whole unit on the charge and get held up in combat so you can't shoot them, the second round is before your shooting phase so you can resolve combat then just blast them with more plasma.

It makes shooting even more important as it's harder to hold a unit up in combat to avoid it, holding stuff up in assault was one of the last few functions of it but now that's removed there's no point, just sit back and over watch.
It doesn't benefit the assaulter at all because even if the assault phase is concluded before the shooting phase they can't assault again afterwards and they're still just sitting there for the enemy guns.
>>
>>44998660
Blood Angels have some of the best looking SM models out there. But the rules suck. A lot compared to Dark Angels or vanilla Space Marines. Personally I hate army hopping Bullshit but do what you got to do
>>
>>44998971
I would have to find someone to play 30k, I only just found quite place for 40k. Though it does help a bit
>>
>>44998263
>assault is impossible
AHAHAHAAAHAHAHA
Seriously?
AHAAHAHAAHAHAHA
Get a load of this kid.

I play melee guard, I get to melee things. All the time.
My daemons? They don't have a single ranged weapon. Melee all day.
GK? The turn one deepstrike helps, but yes they get to melee damn fast.
>>
>>44999059
As long as you aren't gaming with a group of assholes, most would be cool with it. You should ask around and see what they say.
>>
>>44999059
30k is generally UP, but not as UP as BAngles atm.
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 1321x946px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 1321x946px
You guys all give your rosters fun names, right?
>>
File: icanfeelmyselfgoingcrazy.jpg (24KB, 401x372px) Image search: [Google]
icanfeelmyselfgoingcrazy.jpg
24KB, 401x372px
>>44996169
>>
>>44999311

>1990
>2003
>1950
>1993
>453
>1998
>1195
>1204
>1951
>1818

Okay fucking stop that round your points out.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 1075x176px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 1075x176px
>>44999425

No.

[Spoiler]These are mostly experimental lists where I don't feel the need to micromanage, just ballpark. I haven't played a single one from that list as is.[/spoiler]
>>
File: Disgusted magnus.png (118KB, 252x187px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted magnus.png
118KB, 252x187px
>>44999311
>Start collecting scarbs
>Tanks for the Mammaries
>Trrrrriipppptiiiidddeeeeeeee
>Two skittles and some donkey crawlers
>Vm
>Whaddup G?
>Wolftalon
>mfw
I had to think hard about the picture I needed for this. I'm reading these right? What madness is this? That third one could just be an all female regiment that's big on tanks, but that cogboy list made me laugh I will admit.
>>
>>44999489

Start collecting Scarabs is a hypothetical list making a scarab spawning list from the Start Collecting Necron formation and a CAD.

Tanks for the Mammaries is an all-tank list using the Cadian formations.

Triptide is fitting the three Riptide variants into a list at once with adequate support.

I have no fucking clue what vm is from memory.

Whaddup G? Is a list for playing against a guy who's name starts with G. Was a 2500 point list originally, I then took a look at downsizing it for more normal games.

And Wolftalon is just a list built around spamming Flesh Hounds and Warp Talons.
>>
File: image.jpg (226KB, 1536x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 1536x1222px
>>44999662

Update: I looked at the list for VM and I still don't know what the theme is meant to be.
>>
>>44999723
>Nids must
Nids must what?
>>
>>44999801

Consume.
>>
>>44996599
Honestly, I've been really getting into Tau fluff recently and aside from the mary-sue characters, their fighting styles are pretty cool and I wish they translated better onto the tabletop (only Mont'ka really does, you can't really play Kauyon) but I'd like to see Gue'vesa'la explored a bit more with human/tau interactions.
>>
>>44999873
>you can't really play Kauyon

Ghostkeel unit with counterfire defence systems left just barely in charge range, with your marker drones chilling out just behind them.

Come at me bro.
>>
File: Vlad.jpg (33KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
Vlad.jpg
33KB, 600x620px
Fantasy is kill, and I'm not really into AoS. What's the closest thing to VC in 40k?
>>
>>44999873
You're basically left with overwatch traps for kauyon.
>>
>>44997098
The mighty Mont'ka strikes down another enemy of the greater good!

That really sucks, CSM vs Tau is just one of those matchups where you need above-average rolling all game and that's ONLY if the Tau player doesn't bring a strong list.
>>
>>44999996

what kinda VC did you enjoy?
>>
>>45000007
Yeah but it still doesn't feel that great, Kauyon is all about luring them into an ambush which doesn't really work when your opponent knows the positions of all your troops and can probably make educated guesses at your targets. I shouldn't be complaining anyway, Tau are in a great place game-wise and complaining I can't play a fluffy tactic is just nitpicking.
>>
>>45000038
I always stacked my lords with as much gear as possible, lots of hero vampires, with a nice core of skeletons. All those cool bat models, like the vargheists and varghulf.
>>
>>45000136
There is one BA successor chapter that has some bat themes if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>45000095
I managed to pull off a fairly nice Kauyon against a Necron player the other day. Lured him close to my board edge, then sped across the board in the final turns to kill his troops and snag his objectives.

All of his best guys were left sitting in my deployment zone when the game ended.

Kauyon is much trickier to pull off though, since it requires actually tricking the player, rather than Mont'ka which can be mimicked with brute force.
>>
>>45000136

Gotcha I'd actually consider Necrons then. You can do some pretty stacked lord choices + the option for courts of lesser nobles with a decent variety of choices.

I might also consider Dark Eldar - particularly Haemonculus themed stuff. Again plenty of options for loading up characters, the Haemonculus covens have all kinds of twisted flesh beast options as well.
>>
>>45000200

Mont'ka and Kauyon are actually roughly the same strategy: Overwhelming firepower at a critical time and place to cripple the opposing army.

The big difference is the philosophical approach. When and where to land the blow.

Honestly I prefer to launch a series of Mont'kas as my obvious surface strategy, removing key elements of the opposing force and limiting their options, whilst attempting with variable success to weave Kauyons into things through positioning, lures and so forth. Trying to get my opponent to fuck up so I can capitalise further.
>>
>>44999996

Dark Eldar?
>>
I got my cherry popped today. Played 2 vs 2 with us on Space Wolves vs Tau and Khorne Daemonkin. After 2 games and 7 hours, I can assuredly state that 40k is the greatest game of all time.
>>
>>45000424
Truly the forgotten race of this universe. I really want to get into Dark Eldar but I am just not in the mood for fielding another shit army, and I really don't want to venom spam.
>>
>>45000454

You'll hate it next month
>>
>>45000471
I don't even have a rulebook let alone an army. I borrowed some dude's minis.
>>
>>45000454
>I can assuredly state that 40k is the greatest game of all time.

Summoner Wars and Gears of War the board game both completely disagree with you.
>>
File: 1377477000410.jpg (17KB, 472x332px) Image search: [Google]
1377477000410.jpg
17KB, 472x332px
>>44999485
>Busty
>>
How do you all afford to play?

Do you budget really well? Have a lot of money? Pick up armies little by little?
>>
File: 3223543-mephiston_blood_angels.jpg (85KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
3223543-mephiston_blood_angels.jpg
85KB, 620x877px
Playing this WYSWYG with only the models I have, non-competitive meta, not a tournament, casual stupid fun but still looking for critiques.

Blood Angels (2000pts)

Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (BA Baal Strike Force) (1275pts)

>HQ (75pts)
Sanguinary Priest (75pts)
Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Jump pack (15pts)

>Elites (585pts)
(6) Sanguinary Guard Squad (243pts)
6x Angelus Boltgun, Chapter Banner (25pts), 4x Encarmine Sword, 2x Power Fist (20pts)

(6) Vanguard Veteran Squad (342pts)
Jump Pack (18pts), 6x Lightning Claw (90pts), 2x Storm Shield (20pts), 2x Thunder Hammer (60pts), 5x Vanguard Veteran (95pts)
Veteran Sergeant (59pts)
Storm Shield (10pts), Thunder Hammer (30pts)

>Troops (395pts)
Tactical Squad (195pts)
Flamer (5pts), Heavy flamer (10pts), 9x Tactical Marine (126pts)
Tactical Sergeant (54pts)
2x Lightning claw (30pts), Veteran Sergeant (10pts)

Tactical Squad (200pts)
Grav-gun (15pts), Plasma cannon (15pts), 9x Tactical Marine (126pts)
Tactical Sergeant (44pts)
2x Grav-pistol (30pts)

>Lords of War (220pts)
Commander Dante, Chapter Master of the Blood Angels (220pts) <- Warlord
>Strike Force Deathstorm (725pts)

Captain Karlaen (160pts)
Cassor the Damned (140pts)
Raphen's Death Company (210pts)
Squad Alphaeus (215pts)

>TOTAL: 2,000
>>
>>45000775
I have a job you fucking NEET.
>>
>>45000775
I've been slowly but surely building up my old CSM army these last few months. A kit here or there. I'm a poor ass student and even I can do this.
>>
Has anyone ever seen a good Boss Grimskull (from Space Marine) conversion? I really want to see one
>>
>>45000775
Budget and pick up little by little. Even setting asside $10 a week will let you get started after a few months and have a fairly large army within a year.
>>
>>45000864
Do you buy in big loads? Ive never gotten how people can just afford to spend a thousand dollars a month on it, unless they have good jobs.
>>
>>45000775

I pay very little rent to rent from my in-laws, all that money has mostly gone into savings but I splurge here and there on models or gunpla I absolutely want.
>>
>>45000932
A thousand dollars a month? What are you on boy? If you do not have an army and you've spent over a thousand dollars you've done something very wrong.
>>
So I found the issue in this game, it's pretty obvious.

1500 points of one army does not play like 1500 points of another army.

Well, that was simple.

Oh and just a reminder that GW only consider about 20% of their consumers play the game or have an interest in it's fluff.
>>
>>45000775
You can get a 1500-200 pt army for $400-600.
Buy used / ebay / starter boxes / LGS discount and you can cut the price significantly.
The second trick is to just buy a box here and there over time saving $40 per pay check can get you a huge army pretty quickly
Compare that to pretty much any other hobby and the price isn't that far off the norm.
One of my buddies goes and sees a minimum of 1 imax movie a week typically at $20 a ticket and usually another $20 in food/drinks/gas which also equals out to about $40 per week.
>>
>>45000982
bit of an exaggeration there, but I mean people will just be picking up multiple knights a month or whatever
>>
>>45001046
See I already have my army, 2 actually, which ive built up over the years (started as one of those whiny 12 year olds whos parents bought them everything). But now im older, and trying to get back into it/get friends with me, and its hard to encourage people saving for school to commit hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours into a thing.

Im thinking china men for now, and when they get into it more they will be willing to spend on legit stuff
>>
>>45001081
1) Having a good job
2) Having an okay job, but no GF/wife/children
3) Having a shit job and bad priorities
4) It isn't a regular thing
>>
>>45000775
Minimum wage job, student. Buy 200$ worth ish every few months. No girlfriend, budget food
>>
>>45000775
I earn the equivalent of $60,000 a year.
I buy about $200 worth every 4-5 months.

Game is only as expensive as you make it.
>>
>>45001151
>hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours into a thing.

Its a hobby, hobbies take time to dedicate yourself into and are expensive by their very nature. People spend thousands of dollars on bikes, on their cars, travelling, golfing, playing music, as far as hobbies go this is one of the cheapest. Play historicals if you want to go cheaper or spend $50 bucks and play kill team.
>>
>>45000775

I put $20 a week on to a Visa gift card and that's my hobby money - if I don't have it on the card I don't buy it. However I do it every week even when I'm not working on a project and it adds up pretty fast.
>>
>>44996106
After reading through the last couple of threads about ork BS and what some people said, how is this?
>shootier, these gits have "mastered" the art of aiming! Increase BS by 1, X points cost
With X being different depending on the unit buying the upgrade, much like chaos marks, available to all units but grots. Boyz would have it cheapest and flash gitz would have the highest point cost for BS4.
>gitfinda is simply +1 BS, no downside
Then allow the usual characters characters to buy it alongside flash gitz having them as standard.

Would this change be agreeable?
>>
>>45001648
BS3 too good, twin-linked or nothing.

Agree with Gitfinda change. Also, give Gitfindas or Squig targetting systems to Gorknauts and Morkanauts so they can fucking hit something....and also a gun stronger than a fucking big shoota for once.
>>
>>45001701
Twin Linked is statistically better than BS3...
>>
>>45000775
I buy Chinese
>>
>>45001648
Make it Twin-linked instead of +1 BS, since they're fairly identical and Twin-linked is better fluff-wise.

That said, I think the concept works. Either make it an upgrade for the model or make it an upgrade for the guns themselves that just adds a second barrel.
>>
>>45001763
Only chinese?

Who do you buy from? Im thinking i might try out Z
>>
>>45001701
>>45001744
Yeah I'm not too sure about TL, I don't think it really fits and rerolling 60 odd dice would get tedious for the other player. Obviously I'd fucking love it though.

I agree with vehicles, honestly I complete forgot to include anything to do with them there. More upgrades for them to do with crew beyond grot riggers overall would be great. Shit you could even equip the 'nauts with shoutas that allow boyz within 6" of the vehicle to reroll LD or something.
>>
>>45001814
I buy some kits from gw, but most of it is from Z/ebay. Z is good most of the time, but be aware you're going to have to put time into the minis to make them look legit/from ebay.
>>
File: 5SMl4TY.jpg (128KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
5SMl4TY.jpg
128KB, 1920x1080px
>>44996169
This isnt official, right? Please tell me its from deviantart.
>>
>>45000775
I paint very slowly and I don't buy new units until I'm coming up to being done on the last ones.

Plus, I sometimes buy Chinamen.
>>
>>45001886
>I don't think it really fits and

Go read the fluff on what makes a weapon twin-linked and then come back.

Also, you're not rolling 60 dice a turn anyway because you're still losing boys and units just as quickly as you currently do.

Not to mention, how slow do you pick up and roll dice that it is tedious?
>>
>>44996599
I really like most things by Abnett, McNeill, or ADB. I've been powering through the Horus Heresy novels and their books have been consistently decent to amazing, while everyone else is meh to ugh.

I'd love to see something with the / a Primarch returning as the 13th Black Crusade reaches Terra. It would give Forge World a reason to produce Daemon Price Primarch versions. Maybe some further fluff on if Dark Angels and Alpha Legion are actually loyalists and/or traitors.

I play Imperial Guard, so the 13th Black Crusade; and Tyranids, so I have no clue.

Not much really. I know Raven Guard, White Scars, and Tau finished dusting it up in the East. Has anything else besides Mont'ka and the 13th Black Crusade happened recently?
>>
Is there a way to make a semi competitive CSM list that uses Tzeentch without demons
>>
What are some good sites/streams/channels to sate my thirst for more 40k?
>>
>>45002141
>Is there a way to make a semi competitive CSM list that uses Tzeentch

Well, I guess if you-

>without demons

Nevermind, I got nothing.
>>
>>45002141

no
>>
>>45001959
>These weapons are grafted to the same targeting system for greater accuracy.
How does this represent shootas let alone every single other ork weapon?
>>
As a new player I feel drawn to the named character hqs but it seems generic ones with warhead win out in most lists. I am curious how it is in general but I am playing Necrons.
Do I need any of these generic hqs?
Currently I have Obyrn, Sveras and Immotekh as well as the two Overlords that came with my barges but they just have a polearm and orb.
>>
>>45002158
That literally just means it's two barrels next to eachother. It's firing more bullets at the same time to increase the likelihood that one will hit.
>>
>>45000775
I make decent money for my age and situation since I split rent one day of overtime or a pick up can give me +$1-200 so I pretend to earn it.
Unfortunately I don't paint enough on my weekends and usually work four on three off then three on four off and add overtime then.
>>
>>45002141
Nope.
>>
>>45002180
As a very general rule, you get more bang for your buck out of named characters. They've got good cost for what they bring to the table, at a loss of customization.
Yes, Papa Smurf can smack a bitch ten ways from sunday while buffing his army, but he still will get steamrolled by Smashfucker.
>>
>>44996695
Knights are a great bundle of firepower and movability. They arent great though because their equals in other armies are typically better. For the 350+points you pay for a knight, some guy could bring a wk that does more dmg in either shooting and melee and is more durable for half the cost.
>>
>>45002180
You can do some interesting things with some of the necron specials, but you don''t need to take any of them. Imotekh is also way overpriced for what he does.
>>
File: do the mon'keigh with me.png (139KB, 357x353px) Image search: [Google]
do the mon'keigh with me.png
139KB, 357x353px
Still working on the re-balance of 40K. Topic of this era is DEldar, on page 13, I think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3McsA8eGVenhHWgUph8_ftWpJChVubTa24BTyZWWh4/edit

Looking for any feedback, as last time. Snuck a bit more AP2 into them, along with haywire, jet pack infantry, and an overhaul of the Razorwing.
>>
>>45002338
The problem is I only want to take them.
I've been missing the Lord of War as the traveller since I found he isn't worth his points.
>>
File: My_4dcf87_5808555.jpg (84KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
My_4dcf87_5808555.jpg
84KB, 780x520px
>>44999311
You are a disgusting human being.
>>
>>45002387
Reading Ork stuff, on the Squigstew Relic you have the fluff in normal print and rules in italics
>>
>>45002411
Well obyron and szeras are decent, Imotekh is let down by the fact that he doesn't have a melee weapon.
>>
>>45002387
>Still no AP 2 weapon for archons
why anon
>>
>>45002464
An odd observation, but sure.
>>45002479
Djin Blade didn't get a point increase for shit and giggles. It cleaves assholes apart now.
>>
>>45002477
I meant using not missing. I saw he didn't have a melee weapon. That cant be intentional right?
>>
>>45002520
He's meant to used as a ranged fighter, so yes it's intentional. He's just not worth 190 points, if he was cheaper he'd be ok.
>>
>>45002560
Ranged fighter? His fluff says he is eager to jump into melee combat with worthy foes.
>>
>>45002560
That's why I use him as the traveller who comes with a scythe and works well with my other two characters
>>
>>44996169

>No other images found

Dear god it's real isn't it. This must be from the new Chaos book.

That's just straight up awful. The art is terrible and the naming isn't any better. It genuinely looks like something an edgy high school graphics student would whip up for his death metal band's album.
>>
>>45002603
A generic overlord will outperform the traveller in most cases as Anrakyr lacks an invun save.
>>
>>44996135
>>44996196
>>44996227
>>44996277
>>44996411

>Imperial Armour The Doom of Mymeara – Second Edition
https://mega.nz/#!HIhiiLaQ!0daF2EumnTs-FC7o_n5UGtz2EH7IPPZfBwuEd7_2H-8

Crappy quality, but readable and complete.
>>
>>45002843
I'll totally suck your dick if you live in illinois
>>
File: ha gay.png (115KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ha gay.png
115KB, 480x360px
>>45002901
Unless he's a chick
With a dick.
>>
So am I chump if I buy my minis directly from the GW site? I feel like I can possibly find stuff cheaper elsewhere but I'm not sure where to look.
>>
File: liartownusa.png (486KB, 1000x547px) Image search: [Google]
liartownusa.png
486KB, 1000x547px
i need some paint scheme for dark eldar, anyone have any they particularly like? i like the kabal of the flayed skull they have in the DE paint guide, but theres something off about it to me
>>45002647
>invun
fucking stop that
its invuln or invulnerable
about 3 people at the local store will actually say invun out loud and it makes me want to kill
>>
>>45003136
Very, but we can remedy that.
>Ebay
>Amazon (Sometimes)
If an LGS has a website, they probably sell 40k, but you have to email/call for a catalog because GW hates money.
>>
>>45003152
Thanks, I'm putting together my first army and I really need to try and save every penny to do it. What about paints and glue? Would any glue and any paint of the same type be fine?
>>
>>45002278
Age n occupation?
>>
>>45003182
If you have a hobby shop nearby, look for Model Master's Liquid Cement for Plastic Models, or any other game brand's glue, only use superglue for Finecast models. Paints, I like Citadel and Vallejo. Army Painter makes good spray primers, but really any Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint that says it bonds to plastic is fine, just be careful when spraying it, you may spray too much.
>>
>>45003152
>because GW hates anyone else getting any money, to the point that they'll settle for nobody getting any money at all if that's what it takes to stop anyone other than them getting all of it.
fixed that for you
>>
>>45003208
>All that stuff about paint
So I'm not supposed to just grab a brush, dip it, then apply to my naked model?
>>
>>45000775
I incentivize my diet with warhammer money.
1 dollar an hour for every hour I work. 1 dollar for dieting on a non work day. If I fail my diet 3 times I lose all my cash and have a 100 dollar deficit to overcome to pick it back up.
>>
File: monkwithbeer.jpg (172KB, 782x1000px) Image search: [Google]
monkwithbeer.jpg
172KB, 782x1000px
>>45002843
>https://mega.nz/#!HIhiiLaQ!0daF2EumnTs-FC7o_n5UGtz2EH7IPPZfBwuEd7_2H-8

MY MAN!
>>
>>45003215
They've already made their money on the models by the time they get to the shop, I believe. So at that point it's up to the shop to make up the money they spent on those models and the profit by selling them at "MSRP". At least that's what how I think things are. I may be wrong, but I really don't know why they insist on keeping that archaic policy.

>>45003237
No, I'd recommend looking up WarhammerTV on youtube, they recently did an Advent Calender of all kinds of Tutorials and Duncan and Emma do a good job of explaining basic and some advanced painting methods. Also, don't waste money on GW's brushes, I bought these, and although they took 2 weeks to get to the States, they're great. (http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/rFyjqFM3F). But really any decently small brushes will work great. I've got some Walmart brushes that I still use and I started almost 2 years ago.
>>
>>45003325
>I really don't know why they insist on keeping that archaic policy.

GW is only just starting to grasp the idea that buying models in a bundle should offer savings compared to buying them all individually.
>>
>>45003388
shut up and buy more models, nerd
>>
>>44996528

If one where to follow each and every "do´s and don'ts'", all based from personal preferences of your current opponent, you wouldn't have anything to play with.

I have met guys who in all honesty claimed my hormagaunt was OP for its points cost (1 lonely gaunt survivor of a unit of 30, reached his unit of 30 guardsmen and miraculously killed 2 in cc, he didn't kill it back and was run over... Sometimes shit just happens).
This in regards to just about any unit; Its there, its available, and it opens up a range of new tactical options on how to build a list.
If you play above your local meta, fielding cheese in copious amounts, then maybe its time you moved on to a higher league, or scaled your list down a few notches. Its all about balance, having a great and fun game, and giving both players a go at the win (with a bit of challenge to boot). But to roll over and say "Nah, I wont play that!" is just a rotten attitude to begin with.
Hell, I play DW, and loose on a regular basis. But I don't mind an uphill battle, makes for an even sweeter victory!
>>
>>45002387

I play orks, so I'll comment on these.

>Squigslime's Brew (15 points)

Given that the highest number of wounds that this will ever regenerate is 2, on a Warboss, this feels pretty pointless. Great fluff though.

Mob Rule change is good. I'd personally have it work on Fear too, but Fear is already pretty useless as is. Trouble is that Fear really fucks Orks over badly.

Waaagh changes are good. Though frankly you could combine effects and it still wouldn't be OP. Maybe have two sets of effects, Brutal (Assault, shooting) and Kunnin' (Movement, leadership, FNP etc). Then you choose which set you want, Brutal or Kunnin'.

'Ere We Go!, Mob Rule and WAAAAGH, as written in the Ork Codex, won't work with the Ork Mob, since they require all models in a unit to have the rule. I do like the idea of the Ork Mob though.

I still don't think the Orkanaut rework makes them useable. Depends on what you've done to other weapons and units in other codices.

Stompa is still overpriced at 670 points.

Flash Gitz are going to get really expensive really fast. Also wait, you NERFED them? WHY? Dear god, WHY? Changing their guns to Heavy and bumping up their cost for no freaking benefit, base? Dude, I'm not sure if someone tabled you using Flash Gitz in a Blitz Brigade, but Gitz are not good units. Also with all upgrades they'll be 50 points per model. That's...really really bad on a T4 6+ save platform. They're bad NOW, and that's at 22 points each.
>>
Should I go Space marines or Tau? I really like most of the tau stuff but im gay for dreadnoughts. Is a mostly dreadnought army viable?
>>
>>45003325
Thanks man, lotta shit to start going over for this game.
>>
>>45003449
>1 lonely gaunt survivor of a unit of 30, reached his unit of 30 guardsmen and miraculously killed 2 in cc, he didn't kill it back and was run over
Thats fucking amazing and that gaunt deserves to have its biomass absorbed and reborn as a Hierodule
>>
You know what would make a balanced 40k?
If Blizzard was given the task of pure rules balance, and then release the next edition!

Sure, we would have to wait like 9 years until an actual update, be robed of just about all rules except the core, and have no more options available to us, so to make it all easier to balance.

Is this what we want?
>>
>>45003528
No, we want Matt Ward rehired and given every codex to write for.
>>
>>45003499

Yea, I thought it funny as hell as I had actually managed to snipe of his commissar just 2 turns earlier, all from a bad positioned character and that 1 on "look out sir". '
To be fair, he thought it funny as well after the battle was over, but he was mighty grumpy at the time of the incident!
>>
>>45003388
GW's combined boxes have always offered savings

>b-but online bundles
I'm talking stuff like the squad+transport, or the various army bundles/battleforces. Stuff repacked into a new box.
>>
>>45003200
Flight Attendant for a major U.S. air carrier. I will be 23 soon but have been with the company for almost five years. Love it.
>>
File: balance patches.png (247KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
balance patches.png
247KB, 700x600px
>>45003528
>Blizzard balancing
No thanks.
>>
>>45003528
>blizzard
>balance
you're joking, right
>>
>>44999311
I've got:
(Warpsmith Intensifies)
Missin' a Fistin'
Come at me Loyalist Dog!
Just as Planned! (A deep-striking focused CSM list with Hellbrutes)
Toughness 3 (a skitarii list)
Mr. Clean and the Dreadknights(Gk list)
And finally:
Mutual Suspicion: (a Grey Knight/Skitarii list)
>>
>>45003545

The problem with Mat was never writing OP rules. The problem with Mat was his horrendous ability to spoil a few teams. He had his obvious favorites that he simply made better than anything else. And that, in my book, is not what balance is about.
>>
File: file.png (31KB, 439x481px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
31KB, 439x481px
>>44997626
Formation are found by adding a formation detachment Force.

The only thing it's lacking that I have noted is the Eldar alternate core choice from IA 11.2
>>
>>45003559
Seriously, things like that are why i still enjoy playing 40k. I had my dreadknight get knocked down to 1 wound on turn 2 against nidzilla, before not dying and taking out a Trygon and a Tyrannofex, and it felt amazing to beat the odds.
>>
>>45003449
>Sometimes shit just happens
I once had a fucking invisible Skarbrand killed by 10 guardsman with Yarrick and a priest.
>>
>>45003574
>>45003575

No matter what you say, you only come of as bad players when claiming the opposite.

Say what you will, but Blizzard play test the shit out of just about anything they release before an actual release. The opposite can be said about GW.
>>
>>45003605
to what daemon did you sell your soul to for rolls like that?
>>
>>45003564
Can you not say which one?
That must be an interesting and exciting school right out of high school, but don't you need to be able to serve liquor?
>>
Where can you find the Assassins in Battlescribe? Are they the same from Mont'ka or from the old datasheet. Is there any difference between the two?
>>
>>45003615
>Blizzard play test the shit out of just about anything they release before an actual release
In some ways. But balance is not one of them.
>>
>>45003491
No one?
>>
>>45002325
>Knights are a great bundle of firepower and movability. They aren't great though because their equals in *two* other armies are typically better.
>>
>>45003597
>>45003605

Thats awesome! I totally agree, this is why I enjoy 40k above other games. Things like this just don't happen in games of, say Warmahordes. You don't leave anything to chance in those games. Nothing is random and everything can be calculated.

I had a squad of 4 surviving Wyches kill of the 3 remaining wounds of a Riptide, after managing an 11" charge!
The same turn, a unit of 5 Wyches managed a 10" charge in to his commander suit unit, killed of 3 drones, and didn't suffer any casualties, they ran them over soon after (I6 vs I2-3, I mean come on!).
>>
>>45003615
Playtesting the shit out of something and being terrible at it isn't much better than not playtesting it at all.
>>
File: 50332_2309116943_7517_n.jpg (5KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
50332_2309116943_7517_n.jpg
5KB, 200x150px
What are the colour of the Tyranid, Tau, Ork, Eldar, Dark Eldar blood? Is there anything equivalent (lubricant) for Mechanicus and Necrons?
>>
>>45003628

Yea we get it, you got fucked over on some lone patch didn't you?
Yea, it hurts, but you probably raped ass in the patches before that, and now your hurting as your rape-train of death ended.

But that doesn't mean it isn't balance. Hell, they butchered of half of WoW just to make it more "fair" for whiners like you.
>>
>>45003661
I've rolled 3 1's when saving against Lasguns on my Dreadknight. I had 3 wounds left. My Ork player friend had a single Ork Boy surviv combat long enough to wound the Swarmlord.
>>
>>45003590
He only "spoiled" who he wrote for.
>5th ed blood angels
Fucking powerful
>5th ed necrons
Fucking powerful
>5th ed grey knights
Do I even need to say it?

Then if you also played fantasy you'd know he wrote the last daemons and dark elf books, which are also ridiculously good. Every single book he wrote was powerful, flavourful and fun. If he wrote every single book there would be no problems.

Just remembered he also wrote the 5th ed muhreens book as well which brought back GRENADE FISTS. How can you hate that?
>>
>>44999311
>>45003581

Now I want to think of a name for my Black Templars list.

Crusaders in Crusaders or the Yo Dog

Imperator Vult

Flamers, Chainswords and Chaplains, Oh My
>>
>>44996778
Shut up drew. You deserve it for working at a gw
>>
>>45003620
It is one of the three that would come to mind. I actually bring a small force with me when I travel, it has been a fun hobby to pick up that doesn't revolve around alcohol.
A few passengers have worn 40k apparel or have a citadel/miniature case carry on for a non miniature reason and I will chat them up.
My co-workers think its either "crafty, nerdy or adorable"
>>
>>45003681
Tyranid- whatever you want
Tau- Red
Ork- Red
Eldar- Red
DEldar- Red
Mechanicus- whatever color lube
Necron- black lube
>>
>>45003683
Look mate, I've been participating in blizzard beta tests for a very long time. Sending off physical letters for a disc in the mail, back when that was a thing.

Starcraft has historically been a mess when it releases, balance-wise. Every time. It's only after literally years of tweaks that they achieve a modicum of balance.
>>
>>45003620
>but don't you need to be able to serve liquor?
you can usually do that as early as 16.

I wish I could get a job as an attendant. That'd be a dream.
>>
File: carwars.jpg (152KB, 450x668px) Image search: [Google]
carwars.jpg
152KB, 450x668px
>>45000502
That's a funny way of spelling CAR WARS
>>
>>45003770
You have to be eighteen for my company but my first two years I did shit tier grunt work loading planes. Internal movement f a m, gotta get that toe in the doe.
>>
>>45003681
In order green, blue, red-green-black (depends on their last meal), red and red. I like the idea of white lubricant "blood" like in alien, but that's not official. Necrons are made of nanomachines powered by magic so there won't be any fluid there.
>>
>>45003807
There's artificial blood that's more efficient that the Mechanicus has, but it makes the flesh look pale and ill. So I guess they all have it.
>>
>>45003263
You know what? Good for you. That's a fucking fantastic.
>>
>>45003734

>Years of play testing
>Years of balancing and tweaking
>Constant patching trying to balance

Seriously, what more do you want? I'm starting to think its the crowd thats a bit retarded now. Because no matter how you twist and turn, someone always gets disappointed.

And just the mere fact that Blizzard is actually trying, and in my personal opinion, doing an ok job with it is more than tenfold of what GW does.
So to complain about Blizz not trying hard enough, when in a 40k-thread just points out how nagging /tg/´s 40k-crowd is.
>>
File: 20160115_062056.jpg (125KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160115_062056.jpg
125KB, 1600x900px
'old on here, does this mean you're limited to a basic infantry squad and the 1w baby commissar for the formation?

Not even vets or a lord? Interesting.
>>
File: 1453607319760.jpg (93KB, 1209x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1453607319760.jpg
93KB, 1209x1078px
>>45003605
damn
>>
>>45003954
>guaranteed 4+ cover in the open, plus giving a camo'd tank 4+ in return
sure, the commissar is a 25 point tax, but its one of the better start collecting formations nonetheless
>>
>>45003948
>Seriously, what more do you want?
I'm just saying, blizz ain't a paragon of balanced rules. And there's nothing to say they'd be very good at tabletop rules as opposed to vidya statistics.
>>
>>45003876
Thanks. I got the idea from the freakanomics podcast. i've lost 23 pounds from the new year so far.
>>
>>45003978
Yeah, a tidy little 300 point detachment to hold an objective. I might pick it up just because it reminds me of that one Dawn of War mission where the guard hold off the orks for you.
>>
>>45003954
>Can't use Veterans
I guess letting a squad walk around with 3 special weapons and the option to get 3+ cover for 10 more points was out of the question.
>>
>>45004025
>Implying you dont already have them in a Chimera
>>
>>45000855
I like BA, but what in the Emperor's name is going on with your Vanguard Veterans?
>>
File: file.png (36KB, 614x516px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
36KB, 614x516px
>>44999311
Some, though I try to strike a balance between fun and descriptive.
>>
>>45000775
Second hand.

I only buy hobby material new, everything else is bought used for ~half off compared to the discount retailers.
>>
File: Weirdboy POWER OVERWHELMING.jpg (35KB, 301x447px) Image search: [Google]
Weirdboy POWER OVERWHELMING.jpg
35KB, 301x447px
>>45004183
>Weirdboy Tide
mah digga.
>>
>>45000775
I can only afford to buy rulebooks and codexes. Since I can't afford to buy an actual army, I just proxy everything. This is actually more fun for me, as I can proxy different army lists whenever I get bored of my current army. Most of my codexes are outdated though. :( The only one I have up to date is Eldar, my main faction. I also have IG, CSM, Tyranid, and Tau codexes, but they are all really old, around 4e-5e. I'm hoping to get the new Dark Eldar codex soon though. :)
>>
>>45003605
Naw, he actually committed suicide rather than hide like a coward.
>>
File: ffd14dde4d[1].png (12KB, 470x381px) Image search: [Google]
ffd14dde4d[1].png
12KB, 470x381px
>>44999311
This is just a fucking mess.
>>
>>45003619
I was playing Skarbrand!
>>
>>45004289
The fuck's a .rosz
>>
File: 1448831164322.png (856KB, 1057x895px) Image search: [Google]
1448831164322.png
856KB, 1057x895px
>>45004466
>>
>>45004482
a roster file, i imagine
>>
>>45003491
If you like them both equally, flip a coin.

Running a dread army is fairly doable (but you'll need to go unbound or use Forgeworld rules) and not completely noncompetitive, but it's much more restrictive and less competitive than a tau mecha army, so if your reason is that you want
that, your life will be much easier playing u.

Space Marines are broadly more consistent from edition to edition and battle to battle. Also, Armies of the Imperium get cool extra toys. Plus Space Marines are at the core of 40k, so there'll always be more people buying, selling, painting, talking about and generally interested in Space Marines than anything else, even Chaos.

Tau style is more unique than anything else in 40K, but they're neither unpopular nor are they instant-fedora (although sometimes their fluff raises a few eyebrows). They've been rock-solid for two editions straight without being completely broken (except against daemons for a brief window back in early 6th).
>>
Can you delete old list in the Battlescribe?
>>
Writing a friendly list to bring out. Please C&C so I can make improvements before I finish assembly.

Dark Angels Battle Company 1850

Company Master, Relic Blade, Jump Pack 130

Chaplain with Jump Pack 105

Assault Squad x 5, 2 Flamers, Combi-Flamer, Drop Pod 90

Assault Squad x 5, Veteran Sergeant with Power Sword, Jump Packs 110

Devastator Squad x 5; 4 Missile Launchers, Razorback with TLLC 150

Devastator Squad x 5; 4 Lascannons, Razorback with TLLC 150

Tactical Squad x 6; Plasma, Combi-Plasma, Razorback with TLAC 129

Tactical Squad x 10; Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod 170

Tactical Squad x 10; Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Multi-Melta, Drop Pod 170

Tactical Squad x 10; Plasma, Combi-Plasma, Plasma Cannon, Rhino 180

Tactical Squad x 10; Plasma, Combi-Plasma, Plasma Cannon, Rhino 180

Tactical Squad x 10; Grav, Combi-Grav, Grav Cannon, Rhino 200

Scouts x 5; Camo, Snipers, Missile Launcher 84

1848/1850
>>
>>45003491
Unless you opponent bring a great number of anti-tank it should be rather viable.
You should also know that with Space Wolves allied with Blood Angels you can make a bound mono-dreadnought list
>>
>>45004526
>without being completely broken
only behind eldar, tied with gravbiker spam as second-best. Maybe not as broken as elves, but still at the top of the top.
>>
>>45003954
Hmm, that's actually pretty neat. With 4+ cover in the open the guardsmen can provide close support to the Russ and provide an infantry screen to keep the tank safe, while the commissar makes sure they stay in the fight.
Opinions on loadouts?
I'd assume any LR variant is fair game, so the MBT and the Demolisher seem like they'd be the best choices for the tank. Camo netting is basically mandatory anyway, but it seems to be even more so here.
As for the infantry squad, I'd say leaving heavy weapons at home for the sake of keeping pace with the Russ is the way to go, but I'm kinda stumped when it comes to special weapons.
>>
>>45004526
Dread armies don't have too be unbound. Both chaos and space wolves have formations of only dreadnoughts.

The chaos hellpack is actually alright too run, 3 dreadnoughts and they gain deepstrike.
>>
>>45004975
I wouldn't recommend it but you can also take 3 groups of 3 dreads per CAD now as well.
>>
>>45004975
I think most of the chaos dreadnoughts look kinda silly. What are the dreadnought formations called?
>>
>>45004526
I totally agree with you on most aspects, but
>without being completly broken
is utter nonsense. Fish of Fury was a thing, as was endless missile spam and now the bullshit stemming from the more absurd formations (looking at you, Optimized Stealth Cadre).
>>
File: image.png (858KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
858KB, 1200x674px
>>44996269
I really hope those guys will get some nice rules; the old ones wouldn't really cut it in today's 40k environment.
Maybe roughly the same statline but with Rending, Fleet and, say, Rampage instead of the old special rules. Options obviously include a selection of frost-weapons.
>>
Why are the Flayed One models so shit?
I just wanna make a spooky skeleton army.
>>
>>45005116
Man if only one of the major fations was an army of spooky skellingtons
>>
File: ravecrons.gif (153KB, 290x300px) Image search: [Google]
ravecrons.gif
153KB, 290x300px
>>45005116
Find old ones or make you own.
>>
>>45005129
I see where you're coming from, but I really like the concept of Flayed Ones, but the models just don't do it for me.
And I kinda wanted to do Drazak.
>>
>>45005146
Plsticard + Warriors
>>
>>45003483
Most factions I have down are just basic ideas, and haven't been put through the ringer. The reason I've only actually got Space Marines done so far is because I went over it with a fine-toothed comb.
Running the numbers and matches takes for fucking ever. It's why I'm trying to get feedback now, so it's less of a headache later.

So yeah, Flash Gitz are more expensive because I haven't gone back after fiddling with their weapons. Used to be Heavy 4, and the extra shot was where the price hike came in.
>>
>>45000775
Little by little, a box at a time and e-bay. It gives me something to look forward to each month. My CSM and Grey Knights are both done, now I'm wavering between building a small Imperial Fists list or jumping into Skitarii.
>>
>>45005217
are you me?
>played Grey Knights since Wardex days
>Picked up a friends Imperial Fists army soon after seventh started
>just started collecting Daemons, own a Thirster, a Throne and a dozen bloodletters
>turned down a Skitarii box to buy the Daemons
>>
>>45004124
he has like 9 sets of weapons... hahaha
>>
>>44997044
This
>>
What's the verdict on Legion of the Damned?
Both in crunch and in fluff.
>>
>>45003688
He also wrote the 7th Orc and Goblins book which was the worst army in the game until they got their 8ed book
>>
>>44999662
>>44999311

Wait, is this magic? I still don't have these formation in battlescribe - where did you found it?
>>
>>45005348
Idk shit about their fluff but they're pretty solid on the table top.
>>
>>45005348
Fluff swings depends on who's writing, but usually pretty good. Possibly Imperial Daemons is pretty cool, although i hope they never give concrete answers to their backgrounds.
Crunch-wise? pretty decent, the invuln is great, and they make excellent substitutes for meltavets, fire dragons and other guys designed to get behind things and turn them into slag. Make excellent allies for Grey knights in fluff and crunch
>>
>>45005352
>>44999662
>>44999311

I Mean "Start Collecting" from necrons - where did you found it in scribe?
>>
>>44996695
they're pretty good, but not invincible. people like to cry when they can't just use their regular list and have to use basic math to build a list with anti vehicle shit in it.

they aren't actually that hard to kill if you aren't just running a generic s7 spam list.
>>
>>45005237
Wow, that's super close to my experience.
Started with Chaos, watched them get ground down to near-irrelevancy but appreciated the Dinobots. Picked up Grey Knights because I wanted to try a small elite army and GK were a good way to practice painting. GK's mediocre codex begins to sag under the advent of Decurions. Then I decided to try Imperial Fists because I like golden yellow and regular bolter dudes. Gonna get some tacticals when the first of February rolls around.

Side note: are Fists best painted with black or grey primer? I've got spray cans of both and a pot of Averland Sunset. Any suggestions fellow Fist?
>>
>>44996277
http://m.imgur.com/a/Lh1Ab
>>
>>45005477
I'm not a great painter, i just go black followed by two yellows and white/red highlights. The friend later did my Lysander for me, it looks baller as fuck compared to my work, but more orange than all my other dudes. Theres a great tutorial for yellow if you ask the /wip/ guys, i ruefully didnt discover it until i'd already done 1000 points worth of painting on top of my bought 1500 points worth. Almost considering getting some FW stuff and taking the plunge into HH, but theres only like three people in my city who play Heresy. Yellow is hard but paint is life in the service of the Emperor.
>>
>>45005477
Brother - try brown. Yellow goes great over brown.
>>
File: MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER.jpg (82KB, 317x250px) Image search: [Google]
MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER.jpg
82KB, 317x250px
>>45002843

>Expect the same pics of rules
>Full scan

You iz my nigguh anon.
>>
File: knight.jpg (322KB, 1195x1600px) Image search: [Google]
knight.jpg
322KB, 1195x1600px
So warp hunter or Lynx?
>>
Looking into Blood Angels to help my IG with some holes in their game plan. What would be a good 500-700 pt addition?
>>
>>45005715
What are you looking for? Sanguinary Priest and Death Company works decently well for a fairly dangerous, relatively cheap deathstar, but if you want MSUs/scouts/fire support/whatever else, look to vanilla/DA
>>
>>45005739
Looking for something that can come in and snipe off cc units that will chew up my tanks.
>>
>>45005746
>snipe off cc
uhhh, this is blood angels, you could countercharge them, i suppose, but if you want anything remotely shooty go vanilla. Death company with jump packs and a Sanguinary Priest are good, but more suited to offense than tank-guarding, and everything else in the dex is done better by vanilla. If its fluff you're after, then run whatever, tac squads are decent bubble-wrappers but your infantry do that better than any marine could for a third of the price
>>
>>45005787
Sorry bad wording. I want something to drop in and charge whatever antitamk cc units that is planning on killing my tanks
>>
>>45005384

It's four standard units you can add to a CAD bra.

Just pretend they're in the formation.
>>
>>45005816
Well, your troops section is subpar so probably get a min-sized tac squad and either pod them in somewhere or give them a box to hide in. The Sanguinary Priest is incredible, being a 60-point HQ that gives +1WS to his unit, which makes Death Company even more rapey. Death company are the bees knees, twenty points a model is pricey but they mulch most enemies pretty quickly. Keep the pistol, you play guard, you don't need more shooty. Give them Jump packs, they need the mobility.

Depending on points, maybe add an assault marine pack for a secondary CC unit, but they lack the DC USRs, so keep them cheap. Finally, consider a drop-pod melta devastator unit to plonk behind a tank and turn it to slag. Look through the codex, pick what units help mitigate your weaknesses, and post a list for c&c.
>>
>tfw rediculous bargain up on ebay, probably even better than Chinamen but it's real models, barely any shipping cost either
>tfw the torture of stripping paint turns me off buying it

I've never been so torn.
>>
>>45005900
give me a link, i'll take it off your mind
>>
>>45005909
no
>>
>>45005900
If it's orks, nids, or chaos, I'll make the decision for you.
>>
File: 1418017481174.png (31KB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
1418017481174.png
31KB, 207x207px
>Reading this thread like
>>
File: welcome to my nightmare.png (77KB, 598x267px) Image search: [Google]
welcome to my nightmare.png
77KB, 598x267px
>>45006047
>namefagging like...
>>
What formation does the Tau start collecting set have?
>>
>>45006110
they get to move the squad leader 3" and then reform around him as a free move on top of normal movement and doesn't count as movement.
>>
>>45000775
Budget myself
You could be like my faggot asshole friend who is so well off he dropped around 5k in the span of 6 months on the hobby. Full Necron, Spees Mahreens, and Craftworld armies. Shit is fucking insane. And the cunt is talking about building a fucking nids army now.
>>
>>45006190
I know people who drop pretty much their entire wages on the game minus living expenses.
They for new year new army they started tyranids, eldar and a new chapter of space marines as well as picking up all the AOS fireslayer models because they looked cool.
>>
>>45006232
>>45006190
how do they paint their stuff though. I would get pissed building all the models, nevermind painting them.
>>
I hear from friend about guy, who never play in wh30k, but have a ~5k pts iron hands. ThaT's wierd.
>>
>>45006148
>>45006110
Correction, they get to nominate a model in a unit as the lynchpin and redeploy the rest of the unit within 3" of him.
>>
>>45006254
>Painting

What's the statistical in-game bonus?
>>
>>45006315

>Buying the models instead of cutting out and marking appropriately sized cardboard shapes

What's the statistical, in game bonus?
>>
>>45006338
Being allowed to play.
>>
>>45006349
where I come from you need prime + 3 colors to play, and those colors have to be somewhat neatly put on the model.
>>
>>45006415
I was hesitant about going to the LGS because my army wasn't all that great. I get down there and its one of the best, everyone one was coming around to tell me. It felt real nice after worrying about it.
>>
>>45006415

God, so pretentious. What if you say, have someone who's too busy with university coursework to often sit down for lengthy painting sessions?
>>
>>45006447
>God, so pretentious. What if you say, have someone who's too busy with university coursework to often sit down for lengthy paediatrician sessions?
>>
>>45006459

You really shouldn't start a family whilst still at university, that's getting your shit in order 101.
>>
>>45006480
Yeah, you should get that shit settled in 5th grade.

Livin' the dream.
>>
>>45006254
He never paints them or plays them. He has a painted space wolf army he uses and nothing else.
>>
File: 452125485.jpg (259KB, 1024x634px) Image search: [Google]
452125485.jpg
259KB, 1024x634px
hey guise, i just thot of something, hear me out...

What if we gave vehicles an "armor" save in Close Combat? Because its pretty stupid a strength 3 primaris psyker with a force axe could glance my leman russ to death, unless he gets lucky

so pretty much if its an av14 front vehicle it gets 3++
AV 13 front gets 4++
AV 12 front gets 5++
AV 11 front gets 6++
AV 10 front gets nothing

that way my leman russ battle tanks wont get torn to shreds by a -half way across the board- "I got ya" sneak attack perpetrated by a necron in a chariot
>>
So is loading up a devilfish with a breacher team a good idea? If you disembark right at a unit's doorstep that's 20 s6 ap 3 hits.
>>
>>45006499
No one care about you.
>>
>>45006499
That's a shitty idea and utterly pointless beyond granting insurance against being a incomptent commander that allows his tanks being caught with their pants down by melee squads.
>>
>>45006307
Thanks m8
>>
>>45006499
>Giving tanks an invul save for no reason
No. Tanks can't fight back in assault, so they should auto-die if they get charged.
>>
>>45006538
It's probably the only way to make use of breacher squads outside of city fights and Zone Mortalis. You need to play *very* aggressively and set the whole thing up with some care, but it can work.
I'd recommend using the devilfish and its drones to block charge lanes towards the breachers.
Even then you'd better be prepared to to loose the unit once you've blown a whole squad to hell after hoping out of the transport.
>>
You know, if the transition from walkers to monstrous creatures was completed like some people suggested, the Triarch Stalker would be fucking brutal.

AP2 makes its 3 S7 melee attacks actually mean anything, and Quantum Shielding would probably translate as T6 W3 counts as T8 until it loses it's first wound.

And it comes in squads of 3.
>>
>>45006499
>fix walkers

Remove Hull Points
>>
>>45006638
Ho ho holy shit, you obviously weren't around during 4th edition.
>>
>>45006638

What do glances do?
>>
>>45006669
Infuriate you because of your inability to pen.
>>
>>45006499
>frontal AV14 gets a 3++ in melee
Yes, let's do this. THis way my tank company will not only be devastatingly powerful when trading fire, but also never, ever die in melee, the one weakness it suffers from. Brilliant.
And when a tank has moved that save is increased by +1, obviously. Nobody would ever hit a moving vehicle.
>>
Walkers not having AP by default is really weird.

It doesn't need to be as all or nothing as they made monstrous creatures, but getting your face smashed in by a dreadnought shouldn't be deflectable by a wet t-shirt just because it has gun hands.
>>
>>45006614
Triarch Stalker would probably be T7, considering how many MCs have equal S and T. Quantum Shielding might be a invuln that goes away on the first failed save, sorta like the DE shadowfield. 4++ maybe? 3++ might be too much...

That said, I am all for the Walker->MC conversion. Most walkers would be a lot more appealing that way...
>>
>eBay seller had a start collecting set for £45 yesterday
>check today
>increased to £55
Why do this? If you price your shit higher than GW you might as well not bother.
>>
>>45006792
Its GW actually doing this. They buy cheaper, and resell them for higher. Its how they make their profits.
>>
>>45006792
Might have went out of stock, it's often cheaper and less hassle to keep something up but for a price no one will pay than it is to take down the auction then put it backup in a week.
>>
>>45006792
It might be the item owner on an alt account trying to get people to panic bid.
>>
>>45006542
>>45006544
>>45006597
>>45006638
>>45006704

meat shield it is then faggots. did you know that if you have a really power explosive, something say equivalent to a krak grenade but for our modern era, you could destroy an M1 Abrams tank simply by getting really close and sticking your bomb on it ! doesnt matter if its the front armor either!

fuck all you /tg/ virgins
>>
>>45006951
sounds good, that's all guardsmen are good for anyways.
>>
>>45006951
Krak isn't an explosive :^)
>>
>>45007174
what is it then, fgt
>>
>>45007254
Implosive
>>
Didn't see a list thread so I'll post this here:
Playing my first game since 5th in a few days against an ork player.
>HQ
-Pedro
>Elites
-Sternguard x6 w/ combi-flamer, heavy flamer in drop pod
-Assault Termis x5 w/ x2 hammers in LR Redeemer w/ multi-melta
>Troops
-Tac Squad x10 w/ flamer in rhino
-Tac Squad x10 w/ flamer in rhino
-Tac Squad x5 w/ melta, combi-melta in drop pod
-Scout Squad x 5 w/ heavy bolter and camo cloaks
>Heavy Support
-Dev Squad x5 w/ x3 missile launchers
1500 pts total
>>
>>45007254
Not him, but it's an explosively powered shaped charge.
Not a HE, which is what Frag is.
>>
>>45007401
Then why can you throw it?
>>
>>45007414
I don't know how it works, I'm just going to assume its science magic.

>I should really just relax
>>
Spore Mines should have an assault phase ability called "Shaped Charge".
>>
>>45007401
>Krak grenades are implosive charges designed to crack vehicle armour.
>>
>>45007414
It's a shaped charged that explodes in the direction that it is hit against.
>>
Are there any examples in the fluff of high ranking Gue'vesa? Or are they all slapped with pulse rifles and lasguns and sent into the meat grinder?
>>
>>45007706
so is a football
>>
File: 1447124084981.jpg (173KB, 625x505px) Image search: [Google]
1447124084981.jpg
173KB, 625x505px
>>45000922
so much this.

You cannot paint $20/week of models.

Also, there will always be something you want and don't have - get used to it.
>>
>>45001031
get gud, son.
>>
>>45007709

No examples of high ranking Gue'vesa. They're explicitly said not to be used as cannon fodder.
>>
>>45007735
No it's rounded for easier throwing and wider hit area. So if you wanted to fuck a dude up you would have to hit him pretty much head on.
>>
File: tumblr_nyb6i0BgkE1s71q1zo1_1280.png (982KB, 700x1009px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyb6i0BgkE1s71q1zo1_1280.png
982KB, 700x1009px
>>45003661
1850 competitive game last night, I lost my warlord to 4 snapshooting lascannons who all hit (4x6s). It took me from a safe winning position to complete disaster. Today I get to stew and think about how I could have played my hand better.

The joy of the game is in it's capacity to deliver surprises. If we really wanted consistently fair and balanced we'd play go or chess.
>>
>>45007808

Cannon fodder is a relative term, however.

They're not sent out to die specifically as a tactic, but there is still a sort of hierarchy where Auxilliaries are given work more likely to result in their deaths than fire warriors, who in turn are more likely to die than battlesuit veterans.

Just because they try to minimise casualties and not waste resources doesn't mean they won't have Kroot storm the enemy line to draw out defenders, or fire warriors stand out as a lure for a Kauyon, holding out until the enemy are in position to be ambushed.
>>
>>45007819
>be be
>tom brady
>deflate the frak grenade a few psi
>throw it like no bodies business
>mfw it works
>mfw I get away it and no repercussion
>>
>>45007883

Serves you right for taking a Titan under apocalyptic point levels.
>>
>>45007888
>Chapter Master Belichick doesn't tell anyone
>Forced to get last round pick of recruits
>>
File: 546435.jpg (181KB, 550x358px) Image search: [Google]
546435.jpg
181KB, 550x358px
OH NO!

You've just been Blitz Brigade, only a rolled 6 can save you in over watch.
>>
>>45007886

>Cannon fodder is a relative term

No it isn't you dip. It means what it means. You use soldiers as bullets sponges for less expendable targets then they're cannon fodder.
>>
>>44997998
https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/one-page-40k/

These guys went a long fukken way to make the game playable & simple. They even made a better Ork codex than GW, & it's better-balanced.
>>
File: tumblr_nhenv9Phpw1ro2bqto1_500.jpg (50KB, 500x191px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhenv9Phpw1ro2bqto1_500.jpg
50KB, 500x191px
Rules Arguments:
Swiftstrike delivers +3 initative during the fight sub-phase. Does a nid warrior (no mtc) with lash whip bone sword strike at I4 or I1?

Gargantual Creatures move 12' in the movement phase. When moving through cover, they use the rules for Monstrous creatures. Therefore, does a gargantuan creature roll 3d6 to move through cover - per the rule?
>>
>>45007901
> warlord!=titan
que?
>>
>>45008009
first one depends if the nid uses an unwieldy weapon. if so, he strikes at I1 because of the order of stat changes (first multiplication, then addition/subtraction, lastly set values)
>>
>>45007979

Right, and both examples I gave, directly from the fluff as standard operating practice, are what exactly, having the more expendable assets hug kittens?

Every millitary uses cannon fodder, the difference is whether you're being a wasteful ass about it.
>>
>>44998614
All Ork units get 'Ere We Go, which is just fleet (re-roll 1 assault die), so that's OK.

WAAAGH! let's Orks run before charging, so that's also awesome.

Orks still lost all invulnerable saves except for a 1-turn change to Ghazzy's 2+ or a supplement's 50-point relic.

Same said 50-point relic is also the only Ork source of Relentless & Eternal Warrior, so not even MANZ can really take advantage of WAAAGH! anyway.

Fucking Necrons have better assault units. Fucking army-wide FNP & 4+ invulns on S5 infantry? Easy to get a relic or HQ with EW? Jesus.

NECRONS. ASSAULT. BETTER.
>>
>>45007973
Funny thing is most lists I see that use blitz brigade actually only have one assault unit (usually MANz), the other battlewagons often carry flash gitz, tankbusters, or just shoota boyz.
>>
Hmm, how would I best go about converting a Farsight without using finecast?

Looks like the two Forge World commanders have large shields, would either of them make a good base?
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 6, 6, 5, 6 = 27 (6d6)

>>45007973
good thing I've got those ion rakers
>>
>>45008130

Lychguard are really weird in loadout compared to terminators.

You start with one chainfist with -1 S +1 I.

And you can upgrade to a +1 S power sword and storm shield.

And you have a tweaked FNP instead of an invulnerable, and T5 instead of 2+.

Before the price cut and the change to reanimation, they were shit. Now they still kinda need a Land Raider, but are a lot more viable.

Like a lot of non-warrior and thus partially sentient Necrons, they have a bizzare lack of a unit champion or the ability to mix and match wargear or take specialists.
>>
>>45008217
new thread
>>
>>45008075
>order of stat changes (first multiplication, then addition/subtraction, lastly set values)

Where is this RAW?
>>
>>45008450
In the rule book
>>
>>45004124

Paired lightning claws. Battlescribe doesn't parse it very well for some reason.
>>
File: f9e2143ec6e28116de714c10dc231524.jpg (318KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
f9e2143ec6e28116de714c10dc231524.jpg
318KB, 1008x720px
>>45008218
Put a Overlord with veil of darkness in a unit of 10 lychguard with swords and shields. Have them either as part of a decurion or with a cryptek. Now they T5 3++/4+. Put that staff that makes everything snapshots for one turn or a rez orb, or both. Turn 1 teleport them right into the middle of the enemy force. Now they either have to deal with this deathstar right in their face or get charged next turn. I have never seen any force kill more than 3 in one turn. Even with everything shooting at them. Even other armies cc deathstars will get slaughtered by yours if they want to go toe-to-toe. The rest of your army advances un-opposed. It would cost about 500-600 points but would earn that back and more everygame.
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.