[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General: All-Kobold Party Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 22

File: 1451174707416.jpg (251KB, 1200x927px) Image search: [Google]
1451174707416.jpg
251KB, 1200x927px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

What are some gimmick games you'd like to run in 5e? Or even ones you've already been part of? Same-party campaigns, same-race campaigns, all-martials, all-casters, etc.
>>
>>44991723
Kind of a niche topic, OP, but in the spirit of participation:

We ran a party of door-to-door salesmen campaign once. Charisma shenanigans. Warlock bought back his soul toward the end.
>>
Can druids wear studded leather armour? Or does it count as metal armour?
>>
>>44991723

Players start off in command of a small retinue. The campaign follows their mercenary shenanigans as they build their rabble into a proper army.

Think Italian city-states and you've got the right idea.
>>
>>44992299
Ask your DM. I imagine he probably doesn't care.
>>
Playing a Paladin, Oath of Devotion. What are some good mounts I can summon for Find Steed?
>>
>>44991723
I want to do a LVL80ETC style game where the party is a band
>>
>>44992299

>studded leather armor

Of all the stupid shit sacred cows, why was this one that got to stick around for so long?
>>
>>44992892
Go with a massive lizard or faerie dragon.
>>
>>44992892
Whatever your DM allows, but out of the examples given warhorse is actually the best. I convinced my DM to let me summon things with a CR equal to or less than a warhorse that I could ride (and it might be easy for you to do the same) Giant Owl is pretty cool.
>>
>>44992958
Because the writers know it pisses people off and find it funny.

Like keeping stats as well as modifiers.
>>
>>44992958
Because it's a real thing and nobody really hated it when making 5e?
>>
>>44992985
>Like keeping stats as well as modifiers.
That's seriously nonsensical, in my opinion.
>Because the writers know it pisses people off and find it funny.
I think it's more that people would throw MORE of a shitfit if it were removed. WotC was careful as fuck not to slaughter too many of dem cows this time.
>>
>>44993033
Is there really anyone who would complain about them replacing the names of armor with something more apropos?
>>
>>44993025

>studded leather armor
>real thing

u foqin w8 mot
>>
Best homebrew Paladin oath?

What features did it have?
>>
>>44992892

I'm a Devotion pally too. I ended up going with a Warhorse after realizing that I couldn't actually use a Giant Crab as a mount. So far, I've not gotten much mileage out of it, partly due to the fact that, right after I got it, I ended up fighting fire cultists who loved Fireball, and the horse simply can't survive Fireball, and my limited paladin spell slots meant I usually wanted to save my slots for a smite or a heal (no cleric).

So, whatever mount you choose, I suggest you find something with a good Dex and Con (for surviving those AOE spells).
>>
>>44993090
Saw one on DMG focused on healing. It was hella OP, but it had some interesting concepts. I think it would be easily fixable if you just fiddle with the numbers.
>>
>>44993106
The alternative is to grab the Mounted Combat feat the level before.

Also bear in mind that you gain the Aura of Protection feature the level after Find Steed becomes available, granting your Charisma modifier to your steed's saves.
>>
>>44991723
>All-Kobold Party
Into the Nine Hells it goes.
>>
>>44993263
... to free Tiamat and take over the Material Plane.
>>
Ran a campaign that wasn't meant to be a gimmick but ended up being: An inquisitor style paladin of Tyranny, a fallen paladin of the same order hiding from said order, and a paladin of a different order that opposed that order and suspected both of them. Every encounter turned into a game of trying to influence events without playing their hand. Was pretty funny.
>>
What's the cheapest way to pick up Proficiency with a Saber as a Warlock?
>>
>>44993501
Is this bait? There's no saber in the phb.
>>
>>44993501

have Avalon secretly embedded inside of you when the campaign starts
>>
>>44993501
Pact of the blade or be an elf/half-elf.
>>
>>44993423
I've always wanted to run a campaign of all paladins. My dream is actually running a campaign which is basically a buddy cop movie with paladins.
>>
>>44993501
Depends on what your mechanical equivalent of a Saber is. For instance, longsword proficiency is available through the High Elf's Elf Weapon Training, while rapier proficiency is available through Drow Weapon Training.

If your desired weapon isn't available via racial weapon proficiency, you'll probably just want to start with your first level in Fighter for the saves. But in general, dipping Fighter is probably your best option for the Fighting Styles (Close Quarters Shooter in particular affects your Eldritch Blast).

You may also go Bladelock, though that will only grant you proficiency with your summoned weapon. And if you're really unwilling to stall your Warlock progression for some reason, and don't want to go Bladelock, you could always fall back onto the Weapon Master feat.
>>
>>44993090
Oath of Silence.
>>
>>44993501
Saber? Where is a Saber listed? At some point, somewhere I recall a book referencing Scimitars as being stand ins for cutlasses, I'm sure they could do sabers too. Alternatively rapier.

>>44993572
I think you'd need a variant half-elf to get Elf Weapon Training.
>>
>>44993543
Pretty sure he was taking a penalty throughout the entire story for using Saber unproficiently.
>>
Instead of 1/rest, racial abilities be X times per ability mod/long rest
>>
>>44993803
Thereby shoehorning those races into certain specific classes to retain use of those racial abilities and still refrain from being MAD?

I'm all for scaling racial abilities with character progression, but I can't see that particular houserule being particularly effective.
>>
>>44993033
I'd like a concise and thorough presentation on whats wrong with having Ability scores and ability score modifiers together
>>
>>44993872
Minimum of 1. So almost all are exactly as efficient as they started.
>>
Your regular reminder that this game both plays better, and has better class balance, if short rest = 5 minutes.
>>
>>44993974
That's not what that anon was saying wouldn't work about your idea. Go back and reread what he said
>>
>>44993974
But your racial abilities will be less potent than those of a character of a similar race who chose a different class and maxed out that ability score.

Though perhaps this is just the part of me that dislikes Dragonborns for how their breath weapon runs off Con when they receive bonuses to Str and Cha instinctively telling me this is a bad idea.

That said, why not simply have it scale by character level, perhaps at the same level cantrips do?
>>
>>44993974
You're changing it from "Once per Short Rest" to "X times per long rest, where X is ability modifier (minimum 1)" aren't you?

Even if the minimum is exactly the same you're creating a strong incentive to make a smaller subset of characters which probably makes things less interesting.
>>
>>44994222
That's a good idea. I suppose the only problem with all this would be compensating races without such abilities
>>
>>44993657
>>44993541
Rapier, sorry. I'll stop being retarded now.
>>44993632
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>44994166
Seems fun but kinda iffy balance wise. Have you played for into a campaign using that house rule?
>>
>>44994166
>suddenly warlocks have access to their spells basically every encounter
I understand shortening the short rest time a bit, but what the fuck?
>>
>short rest is 8 hours
>long rest is 1 week

Who else plays like this?
>>
>>44994166
If you like encounters being trivialized even more than they already can be, sure.
>>
>>44994299
Lets be honest, who is playing the Barbarian High Elf or the Half Orc Wizard
>>
>>44994660
>half orc wizard
m-m-me...
>>
>>44994488
Oh no, warlocks might actually be able to contribute or something.
>>
>>44993907
>Why ability scores, and modifiers, are unnecessary in DnD.
You could change stats to be '0, 1, 2, etc.' And it would change virtually nothing in the game, except that it's simplifying the one time, fairly small, mental hurdle of transferring an '18' to mean '+4'.

>Why ability scores are never going to leave DnD.
Rolling 3d6 for stats is the second most iconic part of the game, only behind rolling a d20 to attack.
>>
>>44994743
Don't reduce short rests. Increase long rests.
>>
>>44994743
Pls no fa/tg/uys respond to this shit bait and we can all have a better 5eg together

>>44994339
You want a rapier but not a blade lock?
>>
>DUELING
>When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon,

>Minotaur horns
>You are proficient with your horns, which are a melee weapon that deals 1d10 piercing damage.

So, a Minotaur can never get the benefit from dueling since it always has another weapon?
>>
>>44994803
What about odd ability scores

how would you roll for scores

how would you point buy
>>
>>44994803

New guy here:

I get that having modifiers and stats is kind of awkward, but if you want to remove one, you also have to find some way to alter it so that the ASI and point buy can still be used functionally as it is now. The way the system works now, you can point buy into an odd number for your two primary stats and then get them both up at level 4. If, instead, ASIs were just "you get +1 to a score," it would lose a bit of its functionality and flexibility. Point buy itself would need to be fixed as well.

I'm sure it can be done, but it's a bit too much effort for me to think of how to fix it right now (when I don't really care that much).
>>
>>44994881
Why don't you try using your brain?
>>
>>44994881
>RAW
SHIGGY DIGGY DOO
>>
>>44994881
Don't be stupid
>>
File: 1437491176791.jpg (210KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
1437491176791.jpg
210KB, 800x585px
>>44994881

I think UA is a bit untested and not worded that well. I would certainly allow Minotaurs to have the benefit from Dueling.

>Just noticed thread has no images
>>
>>44994937
Don't fucking tell me what to do.
>>
>>44994866
>You want a rapier but not a blade lock?
Naw, I just want it for 1) Character concept and 2) Casting GFB with style since while IIRC it's permissible to cast it with any melee weapon doing so with a dagger seems goofy as fuck.
>>
>>44994866
In fairness, if you're already planning to multiclass into another class which also gives Extra Attack, there remains little point in being a Bladelock. I'd far rather have an invisible familiar sitting on top of enemies granting me constant advantage than +Cha mod to melee damage.
>>
>>44994991

Bladelock is interesting though in that you do not have to take the extra attack as a Warlock. So if you're planning to go five levels in, say, Fighter, you could simply not take that invocation and instead get another one. There's plenty of useful invocations after all.
>>
>>44994911
>Odd ability scores
Since feats are balanced around those, that's a pretty fair point. But it's not hard to say 'Strength is 2.5, round down.'

Still more intuitive then a 15.
>How would you point buy
You'd recalculate point buy? That's pretty easy to do.
>How would you roll for scores.
You wouldn't, unless you wanted to do 1d4 or 1d6, but that'd screw up the curve and make high results just as common as low results.

Ability scores work as they because the whole character generation process is built around them. That doesn't mean they should work the way they do.

Don't get me wrong, I like ability scores as they are, but I'm explaining why, from a design and play perspective, there are definitely better options.

>>44994916
It's not something that can be fixed after the fact, too much of the game is built up around how it is. It's the most sacred of cows that could be slain, and will never be slain.
>>
>>44994956
Fsho. Yeah your options are go Drow, Half Drow, Human with whatever the weapon feat is called and pick up idk what else. Whip, scimitar, trident, and....?, or to start/enter a class which grants proficiency. Off the top of my head that's Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger for enter, or those plus Bard and Rogue for start as. Or you can do 2 levels in wizard to blade singer. Or three levels in bard for valor. Or 1 level in tempest or war domain cleric.

Shit there's a lot of multiclass ways.

However, I'd like to bring to your attention you COULD ALSO just ask your DM and he might just be like eh sure.
>>
>>44995072
>How would you roll for scores.
1d4-1d4 could work. Got curves, lets you have negatives too.
>>
>>44995072
Then how do you go into negative? "you have -1 Strength"? Intuitively it looks like you are weaker than a corpse.
>>
>>44995072

I disagree with decimals. If you're willing to use decimals, there's no real reason that you'd have something against the existence of stats and modifiers. Anyway, maybe in 6e they'll do away with modifiers and just have stat scores. I could see them continuing to streamline the game, and I think continuing to do so will only lead to more sales. Hell, 5e managed to get me into the game, and I hadn't touched D&D since, like, 2e when I was 8.
>>
Unless you ACTUALLY have six to eight fights per day like the DMG suggests the game be built around, then short rests need to be 5 minutes in order for the short rest dependent classes to keep up with the others.

If you only have two fights in a day, then your wizard and cleric get to go nova every fight.
>>
I see there is a category for comics on the dms guild, think I could sell some comics or is it for wotc only?
>>
>>44995122
I'd start all scores at -2 and add 1d6, which doesn't have curves, but at least gives us a progression from what is currently stat numbers 8-18.
>>
>>44995169

what if long rests are 1 week senpai, what then?
>>
>>44995173
Roll 7d6, discard highest, distribute as wanted.
>>
>>44995157
"The average human has 0 strength. The average corpse has No strength."

You're right about how having a strength of less then 0 makes it look like you have no strength. Maybe that'd be adjusted. Stats can just run from 1-6. All characters have at least 1 strength. All DC's get jumped up a few points to account for the fact that there are no negative scores. Maybe, it's a possible way to handle it.

>>44995166
>Not using modifiers and just having stats scores.
That would mean you're looking at 'roll 1d20, add your whole Strength'. Which means, if we're sticking with our normal stat methods, means the number you add could be anywhere from 3 to 18. This is a big step away from 5e's Bounded Accuracy, where starting characters should be within 5 or 6 points of each other, and not 15.
>>
Anyone here have the Gambler homebrew that was posted sometime ago in one of these threads? I was searching for it in mega and pastebin but it seems that it wasn't been uploaded. Any help?
>>
What's your current character like, /tg/? If he or she had theme music, what would it be?
>>
>>44995277

If we're removing one or the other, modifiers are the ones that have to go. Having stats is the obvious choice. As was said earlier, obviously, it'd have to be recalculated. I never asserted that stats as they are now without modifiers are to be used, I think you misunderstood my intention.

For the sake of simplicity, I think having it range from a 1-10 scale would be for the best from a streamlined aspect. Current modifiers range from, what? -5 to +10? Hm, that reminds me that negative modifiers are a thing in relation to abilities that hinder, I hadn't thought of that before. The scale would have to be -10 to 10 then.
>>
>>44995250
Then you have to rebalance your entire campaign unless you expect there to be long stretches without combat in your game.

Short rest = 5 minutes requires no such measures, it's just a universal improvement that doesn't require changing any plans.
>>
>>44995361
Murdock Hobbes, the detective of mystery. An arcane trickster with a raven familiar; half elf, half an arrogant cunt, 100% Investigation skill. And about the theme song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS-7ykpDvzM
>>
File: feathers_by_jon_lock-d7axps6.jpg (768KB, 792x1224px) Image search: [Google]
feathers_by_jon_lock-d7axps6.jpg
768KB, 792x1224px
>>44995361
>What's your current character like, /tg/?
Wis 8 UDL DrowWarlock who fancies herself a Paladin. Naive as fuck but genuinely well-meaning as best as she understands.
>If he or she had theme music, what would it be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPf_PJlJsJQ
This. In her head.
>>
>>44995361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU
>>
For a monk would it be better to prioritize maxing dex or wis, or trying to keep them equal?

I've rolled 16, 15, 14, 13, and two 12's. I can distribute them however I want.

We're starting at level 5 so we obviously get an ASI, and if I went v. human the DM would allow me to put both of my points in a single stat but I wouldn't know what feat to get that's useful for a monk.

The only problem I see with trying to keep them equal is that my two highest are even and odd, not even and even or odd and odd.

We also get an uncommon magic item, and the other players are rolling EK, devo paladin, and rogue(?)

Thoughts? I'm also considering just rolling a full caster, but I'm really stumped on what I would run and none of the +int races really appeal to me if I wanted to play wizard.
>>
>>44994629
masochists
>>
>>44995494

That doesn't look like a her
>>
>>44995410
I guess, saying 'removing stats or modifiers' is sort of a nonsense statement, since they functionally mean the same thing. 'Combine stats and modifiers so that the stat is the modifer'
>>
>>44995590

Combining them is also functionally the same as removing one or the other, so it's a matter of semantics and ultimately a pointless thing to nitpick...
>>
>>44995581

>not playing a female reverse reverse trap drow paladin warlock
>>
>>44995361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_62PVfghXtc
>>
>>44995557
I'd think you'd wouldn't want to skimp on Dexterity since it affects your attack rolls as well as your AC.
>>
>>44995557
Dex, because you need to hit to apply any effects. Wis is still important, though, because you need it for Stunning Strike, but Dex comes first.
>>
>>44995557
Max Dexterity, since it applies to mobility type checks, initiative, AC, attacks, damage, and Dex saves, while Wisdom only accounts for AC, Wisdom saves, and saves against your abilities.

If you're a 4 elements you might consider prioritizing Wisdom.

>Feats that're useful for a monk.
What do you want to do?

>None of the +int races appeal to me.
What races appeal to you?
>>
>>44995613
Yes, that was the point, that we were arguing semantics.
>>
>>44995617

>Playing traps.

I would, it'd be magical realm as fuck, but I don't think I could withstand the questioning gazes of my tablemates. So I'll never actually do it. Although I do plan to play an androgynous character in my next campaign.
>>
>>44991723
Need ideas for a Vampire Lair, this vampire is a vassal that turn himself against the king long ago.
>>
>>44995557
The cape that gives you +1 to all saves is an uncommon, could be a good pick.
>>
>>44995707
>not getting another player to play a reverse trap and having them be a couple
>>
>>44995651
>>44995663

True, but I was thinking better wisdom would mean stunning strike would be harder to save against, and if I had advantage I wouldn't need a huge dexterity bonus, but I'd still need to actually land a hit once.

>>44995667

>If you're a 4 elements

lol

It's surprising to me how barebones Long Death is, but I'd like to do either that or Open Hand.

I could pick up arcane initiate for some spells/cantrips and help out with utility, but the more I think about this, I should probably be rolling a bard.

By 'not appealing' I more meant that none of them have +2 to int, only +1, which would make everything much more complicated with my sixteen.

>>44995719

Cloak of protection right? I've made a list of uncommon items that seem useful and that's on it.
>>
>>44995787

The thought makes me cringe.
>>
>>44992958

Everything in D&D is a sacred cow.
>>
>>44995806
For your fifth level ASI, you can fix your stats up.
>>
>>44995557
>none of the +int races really appeal to me if I wanted to play wizard.
Pick a stereotypically dim-witted race, like Half-orc, and dump Int. Then, take a Headband of Intellect.

Play a Wizard whose intelligence is only a result of the magic headband they're wearing, and they're deathly afraid of taking it off and being found out. At the same time, they realize that they were a lot happier when they were too dull to notice the problems of the world, and yearn to throw away everything to return to those days of ignorance.
>>
>>44995806
>magic initiate
More like Find Familiar: the Feat.
>>
>>44995847
>Not Guidance; The Guidening.
>>
>>44995557
Depends on the archetype. Generally speaking, DEX is better at early levels (especially for Sun Soul monks), but if you go Long Death or Open Hand, investing in WIS is a good idea.
Shadow Monks are good either way
i seriously hope you weren't thinking about Elements monk.

Why don't you go Wood Elf? +2 DEX, +1 WIS.

What feat are you looking for if you're set on human?
If you're not deadset on one feat, there's several that give you +1 to a given stat. You could, for example, put 15, that +1 and that homeruled +2 into DEX and get 18 dex, while still getting 16 WIS. And then there's ASI so you can easily get 18 WIS. Or vice-versa.

Have you considered multiclassing Monk with Cleric or Druid? You get spells, and you get the wuxia goodness.
>>
>>44993062
"What modern gaming referes to as " studded " armour did not exist in Europe. That is the idea of a leather garment simply having metal studs attached to it as a defensive system. This is a misinterpretation of transitional period splinted armours where exposed rivet heads holding plates on the backside of a leather garment or alternating with steel or iron strips called splints were used. In Turkey, Indo-Persia and China there were armour or armoured elements sometimes used made from thickly brocaded heavy cloth with fine nails run through, these were considered light armours."

It's semantic to say studded armor didn't exist at this point. Studs poked through the armor, we call it studded instead of splintered. Pretend it's an American thing, like calling a butt a fanny.
>>
File: Natascha Miniature.png (457KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Natascha Miniature.png
457KB, 1650x1275px
>>44995361
Natascha Maria Santiago de Negron, renown swashbuckler for hire and former Robin Hood of the high seas before her first mate mutinied her. Loves drink almost as much as she loves stretching the truth about her own exploits, and one damned lucky bitch. If you think one part Captain Jack, one part Westley, and one part Wild Wasteland Courier, you're on the right track.
>>
>>44995557
Lucky is a pretty useful feat. Polearm Master or Sentinel could probably work to some extent.

You could use your feat to get another +1 stat to go to 18 16 14 13 12 12. Resilient or Observant or something.
>>
>>44995787
>not playing an Animated Moving Executioner Statue trap Warforged Fighter, searching for a purpose in its existence beyond cutting down hapless adventurers with a smile
>>
>>44995913
The problem with that argument is that it's still described like the original misconception.

>Studded Leather. Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes .
>>
>>44995939

Resilient if useless to Monks, since they get proficiency in all saving throws if they level enough.
>>
>>44995581
>That doesn't look like a her
She's not very feminine-looking or beautiful, no. Her CHA is basically all in how pissed-off and zealous she gets when some evil fuckery is going on.
>>
>>44995707
Never played a trap. Played opposite gender and androgynous. Gotten both sets of reactions. Only one person who's played with me has done a trap (it was a reverse trap, "I'm safer if I act like a boy" thing) and it got weird, but I think that was his fault. He was very murder-y in that game.
>>
>>44995913
But calling a brigandine 'studded leather armor' is wrong. Its armor value came from neither the studs nor the leather.

Yes, the historical item which was mistakenly described as 'studded leather armor' did exist, but the actual 'studded leather armor' itself, as described in D&D, never did.
>>
>>44995984
Let's be real, they won't exactly get to level 14 overnight (and being proficient in WIS saving throws can be a lifesaver)
And even if they do, they can ask the GM to replace the feat, i doubt many GM's would object to that (especially one that's already tinkering with how racial bonuses work)
>>
File: 1416274582843.jpg (157KB, 925x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1416274582843.jpg
157KB, 925x1450px
>>44995361
Oxford Thornstep, an outdoorsman and hunter who got tangled up in some cult business. Currently fighting against the Cult of Elemental Earth alongside his trusty mastiff Braddock and the rest of the party. He is the straight man in the party, constantly keeping the party bard from chasing anything wearing a skirt, and stopping the warlock from turning the next kid who mentions his horns size into a toad.
>>
>>44995913
In ancient china, protections for the forearms made of leather with metal spikes or blunt metal rivets were used as a close combat enhancement to help deflect small weapons. They are still a part of the traditional garb of southern chinese martial arts styles. It is kinda like studded leather armor, but only on the arms.
>>
>>44995959
Use less pronouns. I am really having a hard time parsing what you're trying to say. the beginning of your statement sounds like you're disagreeing, but then your statement seems like it supports what I just said.
>>
>>44995913

brigandine armor is not studded leather, it would be a medium or heavy armor, not just leather armor+

Furthermore, leather armor = leather jacket armor is pretty fucking stupid too, any functional leather armor would essentially be hardened plates layered together ala Mongolian lamellar and again wouldn't be some shitty +2 AC light armor shit
>>
>>44996050
You seem to have ignored my statement about semantics entirely.
>>
>>44996105
Not him, but you might be dyslexic.
>>
>>44996137
It is not semantics to say that a piece of armor never existed if its artwork is based off a historical piece of armor, but it is named wrongly and given an incorrect description.
>>
Remind me again guys: D&D is a fantasy game, right? Not a historical one?
>>
>>44996105
There's literally one pronoun in the entire post you're replying to.
>>
This is an idea i had the other day, and i think it could be useful for anime-inspired games or something like that.
Do you think 4e powers could be ported to 5e as-is? (mostly, anyways. The 'targets defense' part is easily workable) I'm mostly talking about dailies or encounter powers, as some extra boons or special techniques for a more heroic game, without touching the recovery mechanics and such.
>>
>>44995170

Self bumping this, hoping somebody here has a clue
>>
>>44996171
Ostensibly.
>>
>>44996144
How would having a hard time reading individual words impact my ability to understand sentence structure.

>The problem with that argument is that it's still

I know that he meant "it" to be the entry on the armor, but that's not what the sentence says. Then he reads the description and it matches what I said, though his statement is worded like he thinks the opposite.
>>
>>44996171
Yes. This means it makes logical sense to have your characters wearing paper armor that isn't magical in any way but protects from fire. You should never try to be coherent or do anything that makes immersion easier whatsoever.
>>
>>44995170
>>44996206
It's likely for WotC only. To get a real answer, email their support or tweet at Mearls or something.
>>
>>44996170
Except that the mistaken naming has been part of the culture for multiple generations, like refried beans.
>>
File: 1362631869173.png (75KB, 983x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1362631869173.png
75KB, 983x1013px
>True Polymorph into a Pit Fiend or an Ancient Brass Dragon
>Now far superior to a level 20 Fighter
>Bored of being the best martial? Cast Clone before Polymorphing and get yourself killed

Kek.
>>
>>44996206
actually i think you can. I don't have any source, but the article in wizards webpage says "content using forgotten realms" and, frankly, comics based in dnd is something hasbro already tried. It's a good market move, and with the DMguild they can get all the benefits of that without much investment.

I'd say go for it, altough i'm pretty sure it'd have to be a lore-accurate Forgotten Realms comic.
>>
>>44996255
And I suppose you would also claim that it is semantics to say that Santa Claus does not and has never existed, because Saint Nikolaos of Myra did?

It is objectively wrong to claim that studded leather armor, as described in D&D, ever historically existed. The fact that the misconception has been perpetrated for multiple generations has no relevance to its historical accuracy. I'm not sure why you are disputing this.
>>
>>44996281
They don't require anything else on there to be lore accurate do they? I think they really don't care as long as it's PG-13, and they get their cut of the money.
>>
Two levels as a bard, then I switched to warlock. How many warlock levels should I take before going back to bard?
>>
>>44996137
It's not a case of semantics, you idiot. It's not just the name that's wrong. It's not just the description. It's everything. The very mechanics themselves are wrong. Brigandine was closer to plate armour than it was to leather armour.

It's not just a case of getting the name wrong. Studded leather armour, as depicted in D&D, did not exist. What did exist, was something completely different, and it was merely it's appearance that led to the confused misconception of there being such a thing as "studded leather armour" as depicted in D&D.

This is not calling something by the wrong name, this is inventing a completely new, fictional thing, that is nothing like what inspired it.
>>
>>44996171
i think people are mostly bothered by the fact the book says something that is not true and presents it as a fact.

But in the end, it's an abstraction. Quite frankly, i just replace 'studded leather' by 'brigantine' every chance i need to mention the highest AC light armor.
In your setting, it can always be a different thing.
>>
>>44996321
It would be wrong to say that Santa Claus had no historical basis.

I'm disputing it because as written, it's clearly splintered armor by another name.
>>
>>44996222
It doesn't match what you said.
>>
>>44996335
Possibly just one if you are an Undying Light 'Lock; two if you want Invocations only; three if you want a Familiar or rituals and Tome. No more than that.
>>
>>44996380
You never said studded leather armor had no historical basis. You said it's semantics to say it never existed.

It never fucking existed.
>>
>>44996388
Yeah, I'm going to at least two because I want the extra damage for eldritch blast and the disguise self at will.
>>
>>44996377
It's not an abstraction.
>>
Anyone got the pdf that has all the released races and their attribute bonuses in it?
>>
>>44996331
I am willing to bet that if you were to make a DnD story, it'll have to obey DnD canon, as does all media.
Consider they get an extra benefit by actually having you promote Dungeons & Dragons, so it must be Dungeons & Dragons brand, not just any fantasy setting.

Then again i have no source, i'm just using logic from a business perspective.
>>
>>44996171
Oh look the stupid non-argument that always gets made by people too stupid to realise how stupid it is.
>>
>>44996377
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splint_armour
This is what I think "Studded Armor" was meant to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine
They aren't exactly the same, but whatever works for you.
>>
>>44996439
Why not? i mean, armor is armor, but the player can make it look whatever it wants, as long as it makes sense. It's more or less the reason we only have one kind of shield now instead of several.
>>
>>44996436
What you are doing IS>>44996439
semantics.
>>
>>44996531
but anon

Splint Armor is Heavy
>>
>>44996439
Everything in D&D is an abstraction, or do you think that people have hitpoints, your ability to hit is based on how strong you are, or that people all stand around while one person acts at a time?
>>
File: 220px-Guenther_von_schwarzburg.jpg (49KB, 220x536px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Guenther_von_schwarzburg.jpg
49KB, 220x536px
>>44996588
I'd argue medium, but sure.
>>
>>44996524

I just think you guys are being fags, getting your panties in this much of a knot over something so trivial. It's like someone getting pissy that Fireball does more damage than Melf's Minute Meteors even though a proper sized meteor would have far more destructive potential than a silly little ball of fire.
>>
>>44996270
That's mostly because the CR numbers are fucked, in all honesty.
>>
>>44994629
Christ, that makes no sense.
>>
>>44996654
But they're minute
>>
>>44996654
But anon, Fireball does no damage. :^)
>>
>>44996654
We're nerds man, we can argue over this, or whether elves are hot or not.
>>
>>44996727
Definitely are.
>>
>>44996727
Would an elf be hotter if you hit it with Fireball or Melf's Minute Meteors?
>>
>>44996727
elves aren't that hot desu. they're all frail and thin and sickly pale looking. not to mention they don't have very good butts or tits.

also they're the ultimate jailbait since they're still not an adult until they're like 100 years old
>>
>>44996654
Consider those meteors are tiny, and if you were to throw them all at once, they'd do more damage than Fireball. And i always imagined fireball as some sort of michael bay-like explosion.
>>
>>44996743
Ew would you fuck a grandma?

That girl has to be like 300 years old that's disgusting
>>
>>44996819
She's probably learned some wild things in those three centuries. I'd be game.
>>
>>44996835
Haha that's gross man

Haha

Yeah

def would also
>>
>>44996727

The fact of the matter is trap elves are the hottest elves
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 261x193px
>>44996787
>Adding desu to the the end of sentence that already contains a copula.
>>
>>44996787
>not to mention they don't have very good butts or tits.
says who?
>>
>>44996685

Why not?
>>
>>44995821
Sad but true.
>>
With things like Shield Master that let you do something as a Bonus Action when you attack can you use the Bonus Action before you actually resolve your attacks?
>>
>>44996969
There was a Sage Advice that confirmed this to be the case though I don't quite see why you should be allowed to interrupt an action with another action myself.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/
>>
>>44997021
You can't interrupt, you can just choose to shove before resolving the attack.
>>
Anyone tried a storm sorcerer yet? I feel like that could be really fun
>>
>>44996902
Typing t b h without the spaces appears as desu when you post.
>>
>>44997102
I played one from 7th to 13th? levels, but it was the UA version with the bonus spells. Call lightning was my go-to and really captured the feeling of having magic from storms itself, but the resistances came up all of once. Being able to nickle-and-dime things with the lightning or thunder burst was pretty good, too.

It's still weaker than the dragon sorc overall, though.
>>
>>44997085
I'm somewhat confused as to what you mean by this. Unless (as, admittedly, has been suggested before, though I find it a needlessly complicated way to go about doing things, and one which is not implied anywhere in the existing rules) taking the Attack action does not actually directly have your character make an attack, but instead actually entitles your character to make an attack at some point during your current turn, you will make (and resolve) one or more attack as part of the Attack action.

Wouldn't taking a bonus action before resolving the attack(s) but after taking the Attack action therefore be interrupting the Attack action?
>>
>>44997021
>>44997085
Sweet, so I can bonus action to Shove thanks to Shield Master and then get all my attacks with Advantage?

Also, as a Minotaur I could use Goring Rush to Shove a target before actually using my Dash to prevent attacks of opportunity?
>>
>>44997216
There's no rules about "interrupting," but the rulings so far imply that overlapping of actions, bonus actions, and movement are all fine, so long as what you say you do is fully resolved by the end of your turn.
>>
>>44997309
Huh. I always read it as actions and bonus actions being discreet things you can do on your turn, and movement no longer requiring an action meaning it could be done whenever.

I can see it being the way you described, though I don't think I've ever known anyone who's run it that way.
>>
>>44996912
If you are going for realism, a short rest would be a few months. Long rests would be incalculable.
>>
>>44995072
>from a design and play perspective, there are definitely better options.

Not really. I still don't see the problem with having ability score and ability modifiers
>>
>>44995913
>>Pretend it's an American thing
>makes durrhurr stupid yanks joke
>spends rest of thread trying to defend own fucked up understanding of syntax
I'm rolling. 7/6, Anonbong.
>>
Is it viable to play an EK with low Int? Just focus on utility / buff spells rather than attack rolls and saves?
>>
>>44997216
>taking the Attack action does not actually directly have your character make an attack, but instead actually entitles your character to make an attack at some point during your current turn, you will make (and resolve) one or more attack as part of the Attack action.

Actually, yes, that is the case, if you want to be specific. The simpler solution is "you can take your action, bonus action and use your movement in any order as long as you resolve everything by the end of the turn"

The bonus action doesn't come after the bonus action, you could, for example (assuming you have Extra attack) move towards an enemy, attack it, then move towards another, use your bonus action to shove them, and then attack. And then you can use the remainder of your movement if you so wish.
>>
So, wait Sun Soul Monk is just spam lasers errywhere? What? I'm trying to decide if this looks like DBZ in my head or super specialized artillery caster masquerading as a typically melee class.
>>
>>44997772
It's probably possible. It's certainly not optimal to limit yourself in that way, though, when you could instead play a Battle Master or something else that doesn't require an ability score you don't have.

Is there any particular reason you want to do so?
>>
>>44997830
I could be wrong here, but I don't believe there's much difference in terms of damage output between Sun Soul Monks fighting in melee and at range - and literally none once you're past the quarterstaff levels.
>>
>>44997772
>buff spells require no rolls to get the effect
>you don't get additional spells or slots due to high int
What do you think?
It's doable if that's what you want to play.
>>
>>44997893
>you don't get additional spells or slots due to high int
what
>>
>>44997830
It's basically a mix of a blaster mage and a ranged fighter.
Both visualizations work
>>
>>44997893
You don't actually get bonus slots or spells from high Int in 5e.
>>
>>44997930
RTFM
>>
>>44997975
that's exactly what i said
>>
>>44997991
You got a page number or anything? I've read it cover to cover and not seen anything about getting extra spells or slots from high int.
>>
>>44998014
>>44998027
I believe the problem here is that we are reading sarcasm where there is none.

He literally means what he has typed, the absolute madman.
>>
>>44998027

Yes, that's what he's saying. You DON'T get more spell slots for high Int. Not sure if that was a thing in previous editions or not, it may have been, which may have been why he brought it up.
>>
>>44993090
Well, I've got one from my current game now that's heavily fluffed around the setting (so it doesn't convert over too well). Order of anti-mages in a long-post-apocalypse fantasy world. Paladins aren't actually magical, except for the highest-ranking in the order (secretly), so my oath spells are mostly lightning spells from a hand-cranked assembly on my arm.

It's pretty neat.
>>
>>44998071
Oh, the way he'd worded it made it seem like he was saying that a disadvantage of playing a low int EK was that you wouldn't get extra spells [and implicitly that you would otherwise].
>>
>>44998113

It happens sometimes. Everybody makes mistakes.
>>
>>44997882
Seeing as it follows the unarmed progression, I get that. I really do, it's just an odd image for a 'monk'.

>>44997944
I think I like the blaster mage image more. I'm not sure what I think about it. It's a super neat archetype, but it's weird to think of a monastery of dudes just blasting lasers at everything that threatens it.
>>
>>44998158
>but it's weird to think of a monastery of dudes just blasting lasers at everything that threatens it.
Actual monastic orders in east asia would have probably used that well. Seriously, take buddhist monks, for example. They were constantly getting genocided or exiled, leading revolts or training prominent militart figures through the ages.

If you think of a monastery as a political player, suddenly it makes more sense to have additional magical firepower.
>>
File: do you even pose.jpg (98KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
do you even pose.jpg
98KB, 1024x576px
>>44998158
>it's weird to think of a monastery of dudes just blasting lasers at everything that threatens it
>>
>>44998158
I like to think of the attacks as being a mantis shrimp style "Punch the air so hard the shockwave travels 30 feet and kills a guy"
>>
>>44998326
But then it'd have to deal Thunder damage instead of Radiant, anon...
>>
>>44998365
They're divine shockwaves in the Æther, not ripples in the air. Obviously.
>>
>>44998410
>Eladrin Monk who uses interdimensional ripple punches and teleports by punching apart the fabric of spacetime
Would play, but probably only for a oneshot.
>>
>>44998299
Trying to imagine it different ways. Temporarily manifest your 'soul' as a copy of you made of light that punches in concert with your own body.
>>
I just wanna play a kung fu badass like in my Hong Kong action movies. I don't give a fuck about qi or shooting beams or being a stealthy ninja. Is there any way at all to be like Donnie Yen instead of Krillin?
>>
>>44998941
Open Hand Monk, or Fighter or Barbarian (possibly with Tavern Brawler) if you want to also use non-monk weapons.
>>
>>44991723
With all of the talk about the Sun Soul Monk, how about a Laser Floyd party? SSM, UDL Lock, Light Domain Cleric and... new to this edition, is there a Paladin that's especially flashy themed? Or another option to round it out?
>>
>>44998941
Open Hand Monk. Did you even pay attention to the monk archetypes?

You could also be a Battlemaster Fighter and get Tavern Brawler if you prefer STR over DEX/WIS
>>
>>44998979
>>44998996
I just never hear anything about it on /5eg/ so I assumed it sucked.
>>
>>44999022
It's probably the best Monk archetype, in terms of mechanics in combat. We talk about the others more because they suck (as with Four Elements) or because they have interesting out of combat abilities (like the Shadow Monk).
>>
>>44999022
It's actually the best archetype for a pure monk. It's the most well-rounded and is meant to be the 'basic' monk in all of it's abilities.

Now, the question is, why are you even here if you didn't even read the damn player's handbook properly ?
>>
>>44999022
The monk itself is an often overlooked class, mostly because
>Muh weebshit
And also because they do have a slight problem with Ki consumption at higher levels, but that's more a problem with the base class.

Sun Soul and Open Hand are generally agreed to be pretty tight as far as monks go, with Long Death and Shadow being cool for specific builds, but meh otherwise.
>>
>>44999116
>a slight problem with Ki consumption at higher levels
Do they? I'd think the bigger ki management problems would be at lower levels.

Especially level 5, when you gain the ability to attack more people AND the ability to stun people you attack in a single level, potentially causing you to blow your entire ki pool in a single round.

Unless you're Quivering Palming enemies every round, I don't see that you shouldn't be able to last 3-4 rounds at high levels.
>>
>>44999085
Cool.
>>44999094
>implying I haven't read it because I haven't memorized it
The book's been out for like a year now. I've read through all of it at one point or another but I don't remember the details on all the class archetypes.
>>44999116
Thanks. Guess I'll go open hand.
>>
File: smug as fuck.png (236KB, 350x438px) Image search: [Google]
smug as fuck.png
236KB, 350x438px
>>44999220
>I don't remember the details on all the class archetypes
Just bear in mind the restrictions on monk weapons. You're not going to be able to use Martial Arts with a guan dao, sadly.
>>
How much has changed in 5e FR? Was spell plague + new continent retconned out?
>>
>>44999306
The Spellplague happened but all the stuff it caused has more or less been handwaved away. Even the giant holes in the ground have sealed up, and a lot of the destroyed countries have returned to "normal."

Not sure about the new continent thing, you'll have to be more specific.
>>
>>44999306
Timeskipped past and had its effects undone, but still vaguely recognized as a thing that happened.
>>
>>44999326

4e replaced FR!america with a different continent, apparently 5e has brought America back

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Abeir
>>
File: The_Pirate_Isles.jpg (229KB, 714x600px) Image search: [Google]
The_Pirate_Isles.jpg
229KB, 714x600px
asking again for the sake of a new thread, but where can i find some good resources/tips to help me run a swashbuckling campaign set around the pirate isles?
>>
Any good solo adventures for 5e? Either that or advice with running a party-based game for one person? We're going to be using the Basic rules since he's new to tabletop games as a whole.
>>
>>44999421

watch black sails tbqh unless you're homophobic
>>
>>44995361
My fighter has 3 attacks per turn and can't hit shit. With a +6 attack modifier. 4 attacks if I action surge. I really need to retire every d20 I own.

The wizard successfully used Grease and choke points to trip up a bunch of mooks trying to murder the squishiest members of the group.

Benny Hill theme is probably appropriate for both.
>>
>>44999519
If you have a standard 3 attacks per turn, how do you only have 4 if you Action Surge?

Regardless, a standard CR 5 enemy should have roughly 15 AC. You really ought to be hitting more often than you don't, even with +6 to attack.
>>
>>44999435
Yeah the starter adventure with the full rules in a group of 4-5
>>
>>44999623
Because I typed that wrong and I've been rolling mostly 3-8. It's really quite infuriating. I did pick up a +2 shortsword though so hopefully this shit stops now.
>>
I posted earlier but most were probably awake.

I want to do a doom 5e crossover, by having doom being based on a fantasy novel series that a certain wizard really gets into. He's so interested in it that he enchants already powerful inter dimensional mushrooms that teleport him (and who ever eats them) into his fictional world of fantasy novels.

Basically I need to force my players to eat mushrooms, so they can use fire-arms etc. What do you guys think of this? Johns cousin says help guy in town out, oh wheres our wizard??? oh he left a novel ok.. !
>>
>>44999827
>>44999519

Two weapon fighter, I'm assuming? You should make sure you increase your Dex at level 8. The additional +1 to hit and +1 damage are really, really noticeable.
>>
>>44999519
How do you only have a +6 to hit if you have 3 attacks? You need level 11 for 3 attacks, which means your proficiency modifier is +4. That makes your strength 14 or 15 at level 11? Why? You're already had 4 ASIs by that point.
>>
>thread title

Has it happened? Are there 1st party kobold rules
>>
>>44999421
Go to the OSR General, look up their trove, find the TSR folders, look up the Red Steel series.

Or google it, fag.
>>
>>44997893

One of the things I thought was kinda lame about them. They use Int as their casting stat but they don't really need it. You can be dumb as fuck but still have memorized spells that it takes a Wizard 20 levels to memorize.
>>
One of my players wanted a friendship college, so I made this. Any critique would be appreciated.
>>
>>44993626
I'm playing in a game with all 4 paladin oaths this Wednesday. I'm playing a paladin of vengeance who worships a god of dreams, I couldn't be more excited.
>>
>>45000158

>the college of 'I want the fighter/paladin to fuck my character's ass but I don't want to play a life cleric'
>>
>>45000032
I'm delaying that slightly to dip into Rogue for Sneak Attack if nothing else. Attack, Trip, attack w/advantage sounds too damn good with the extra damage.
>>
>>44999952
So... you want the PCs to pop shrooms and then pick up bazookas and fight demons?

Sounds awesome.
>>
>>45000158
>Comradery
Camaraderie.
>>
>>45000324
basically, im just working out a motivation as to why they want to help a stoned and maniacal wizard trapped in his own head but its another reality man
>>
>>45000071
Typos and two weapon fighting. What I meant was two attacks per turn (action and bonus action) three for an action surge.
>>
>>45000385
Are they good-aligned? Maybe he just needs help. Maybe he's a very powerful wizard, he needs help, and other people need his help that the party isn't powerful enough to provide.
>>
>>45000290

If you're having trouble hitting as is, delaying it might not be a good idea. If you do decide to dip, I wouldn't dip more than one level. You can always get more Rogue levels later.
>>
>>45000438
I don't plan to dip more than one, but I've got a good way to go until the next level so we'll see what the dice do for me. Lately I destroy skill checks and then suck in combat with the people who would prefer I hadn't picked their locks.
>>
>>45000412
I dont know about the characters yet, but one player I might know who roleplays more-so might get a letter from his in game father requesting help from somebody.

The thing is the wizard wants to stay and kill demons for eternity, he was somewhat powerful (mostly did teleportation/trans planar spells) in his niche and just got really into a game, and used ancient psychedelic mushrooms in conjunction with his magic to lace these mushrooms to bring you to the UAC labs moon base.

Oh and his name is Kahn Jarmack .
>>
>>45000087
This is what I use for Kobolds.

+2 Dex, +1 to one other ability score of your choice, darkvision 60ft., adv. to resist disease, can eat spoiled food, advantage on checks made to find, disable, create and set up traps.

Debating whether 120ft. dv or not
>>
>>45000388
You get your extra attacks when you action surge.

If you're 2 attacks plus 1 bonus action attack for a total of 3 attacks normally, then you should get 2 attacks, 1 bonus action attack, and then 2 more attacks for action surge for a total of 5.
>>
I just remembered: My Saturday group does not really understand how jumping works. So how does jumping work? The long jump and the high jump. Does it add to your speed if you jump? We've read the book but we don't really get it fully.
>>
>>44999421
Pretty much any of the various pirate themed games/APs.

Skull and Shackles for Pathfinder
Sundered Skies
50 Fathoms
7th Sea
>>
>>45000158
For the Song of Camaraderie, it is far too strong.

Try instead a wis saving throw against spell dc, where a failure grants disadvantage on attack
rolls UNTIL a successful attack is made or the song finishes

Song of Harmony is likewise ridiculous.

Make it VS beasts only (I get the pied piper reference) and make them follow the Bard until the song ends OR they take damage

Encouraging Verse and Calming Word are both fine
>>
>>45001180
Have you actually read the book
>>
What are some good spells I should get for my fifth level valor bard?
>>
>>45001180
seriously fuck off and go read the book, if you have questions after that come back here

and no, you clearly didn't read the book so don't respond saying "I DID READ BOOK IT JUST HARD READ GOOD"
>>
>>45001180
PHB page 182. All the info on jumping is right there.
>>
>>45001329
Awaken, Banishing Smite, a lower level smite, Circle of Power, Teleportation Circle, green flame blade
>>
>>45001397
>fifth level valor bard
Anon, valor bards don't get magical secrets til level 10.
>>
>>45001397

t-thanks
>>
>>45001180
I think other people are being needlessly agro about it, but the rules do seem pretty simple and explicit. What do you specifically not understand?
>>
>>44991723
I've often considered a party with everybody having a major disability of sorts.

Blind, deaf, missing a limb or some shit. I'd likely never do it due to the potential for dumb shit disabilities that aren't actually fun being chosen.
>>
File: Kobold Race.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kobold Race.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>45000087
Honestly I think these are perfect. Well if you're okay with races that can fly.
>>
Berserker Path Barbarian/Open Hand Monk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ulk-vLgO8
>>
>>45001406
>>45001415
oh sorry i really misread that lol

for some reason i thought you were asking for 5th level spells my bad

for 5th level bard AKA THIRD LEVEL SPELLS if you can read, unlike me, you really want Leomund's Tiny Hut.

If your party is like mine and always forgets to do non lethal damage you definitely want speak with dead.

I'd look into dispel magic and hypnotic pattern too.
>>
>>45001440
>Katawa Adventurers
Might be fun, but roleplaying a deaf or blind character would be particularly difficult.
>>
>>45001507

with the way my DM is I'm sure he'd try and dick us over if I tried to use the pizza hut to get a rest
>>
>>45001521
My general idea was more extremely disabled characters could get some neat shit to help compensate for it.

I once had a blind barbarian party member that I granted Blindsight while raging, kinda inspired the entire party idea.
>>
>>45001504
Holy shit that's amazing.
>>
File: yay.png (72KB, 285x315px) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
72KB, 285x315px
>>45001468
>mfw someone posts and recommends my homebrew

I actually did some format changes and put it on DMs Guild the other day as PWYW because no one had put up a kobold race yet.
>>
>>45001631
I posted it because I like it, you cutie.

Only change I'd make myself is lower their walking speed by 5 since they're small. As for the archetypes, I'd call the Winged Kobolds "Dragonwrought Kobolds" and make their scales tinted based on the type of dragon they're descended from. Maybe advantage when using a Charisma check when interacting with dragons.

But that's mainly fluff, if you want your Urds to be plain old Urds, then that's cool.
>>
>>45001791
not koboldanon, but I just thought I should point out Kobolds usually have a higher than average speed for small creatures.
>>
>>45001631
have you made any cash dollars yet off it?
>>
>>45001791
Didn't Dragonwrought Kobolds show up initially in Races of the Dragon? I approve, by the way.
>>
>>45001896
Yeah, it's a Feat from RotD, but it's notorious because it allowed a PC to take a lot of crazy dragon related shit from other books. When I think of Kobolds I think of Dragonwrought ones.
>>
>>45001870
I've made a few bucks, nothing amazing. It takes time for things to make money on DMs Guild, usually a slow trickle unless you get lucky.

>>45001849
This anon has it right why I left it at 30. Both in the MM and in past editions, kobold races haven't had a speed penalty.

>>45001791
I actually had dragonwrought kobolds instead of urds when I originally made a kobold race for this big doc of monstrous races I was doing a long time ago. They kind of OP (sorcerer magic initiate, basically). Maybe dragonwrought would be best brought back like it used to be, as a racial feat? As much as I hate the idea of them, they can be a decent answer to such niche but powerful racial options.
>>
>>45001299

If I'm an Arcane Trickster and I use Magic Initiate to learn Shield, can I cast Shield using my own spell slots?
>>
>>45002010
I seem to remember the devs said "eh, sure", to that, when asked on Twitter.
>>
>>45002010

>>45002076
that sounds familiar to me too
>>
>>45002111
>>45002076
>>45002010

This should answer the question:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/01/09/eldritch-knight-with-magic-initiate-feat/
>>
File: RhvoyRb.jpg (888KB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
RhvoyRb.jpg
888KB, 1736x2456px
>>45001468
Reminds me of this.
>>
>>45002133
you're the man anon
>>
>>45002187
Way too many features imo.
>>
>>45001538
Funny thing is the hit is unbreakable and impassable so unless he is gonna dick you hard with a mage casting dispel magic you should be solid with it.

I also was having the same problem with my valor bard and I chose the hut and major image. You can hide a small house with that thing, the utility is awesome.
>>
>>44999290
Which is really fucking dumb.
>>
>>45001521
I had this character idea for so long, a mute human monk. The guy is mute by choice, because mystical oath and shit. He can communicate with others by writing on papers with all kind of stuff he carry around. I always imagine he ends up forced to use his voice in to save a player, and to compensate cut one of his hand/arm off.

Of course in the long run, it because I want a prosthetic arm.

I never explored the idea more because I never play, I always GM.
>>
I've been thinking of homebrewing in a mechanic that uses Exhaustion levels as a resource like Overdrive or something.
If a Spell caster burns a level, they can use it to cast a spell at a level higher than their highest unused slot
This goes from a Level 1 wizard being able to cast a spell he prepared at a higher level 10 a level 20 being able to push his spell to an upper limit of level 14 (Technically he could go to 15, but that would be instant death)
>>
>>45003063
Am I reading that wrong or are you saying a level 1 wizard could cast spells that are effectively 10th level?
>>
>>45003114
They could effectively cast a level 1 spell as a level 7 spell, though the end result would be very messy.
>>
Has anyone made additional background presets for characters? Like, a Gladiator one that is an edit of the Playerbook's Soldier bg
>>
Would it be too autistic to get a leather bound journal and start writing my spells in that if I play a caster class at some point? Entire group is martials at the moment so if I end up dying that's what I'll reroll into. I think it's a fun idea, makes for better roleplay and all, but I'd like some opinions.
>>
>>45003380
Not autistic, just a bit of extra work for you to maintain. Nothing wrong with props as long as they're not super distracting or cumbersome at the table
>>
File: Smetana kot.jpg (597KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Smetana kot.jpg
597KB, 800x800px
>>45003407
I have more free time than I know what to do with thankfully. Figured it might be a bit over the top for my usual group since we're super casual but I'll give it a go if the chance arises.
>>
Would a battlemaster fighter/hunter ranger be a decent mix? I read the players handbook and seemed decent, or am I mistaken?
>>
>>45003531
For maximal oomph, go as a spell-less ranger.
>>
>>45003531
With Combat Superiority, Colossus Slayer and Hunter's Mark, you can expect to do quite a bit of damage.
>>
>>45003582
Spell-less rangers is a nonfunctional mess.
>>
>>45003380
I actually had a character who kept a journal a long time ago and I took notes in my characters perspective in a notebook. It was quite fun, but it is a fair bit of extra work after awhile.
>>
>>45003618
>one of the best thought-out early UA
>nonfunctional mess

You're sure you're not confusing it with the Spirit Ranger?
>>
>>45003380
I had a character who almost compulsively took notes about everything that went on in game. He was the party's cartographer, translator, and plot hook catcher.

I kept a spiral bound notebook with the notes and rough sketches in it, so don't feel like it's something weird.
>>
>>45003531
It'd work, though your effectiveness would be heavily based off of what hunter abilities you take, as well as what weapon type you go with. Note that Colossus Slayer doesn't scale very well into the later levels, since it's only ever 1d8 per round.

>>45003648
>Two features taken from other classes and a spell on what is effectively a long rest timer
>well thought out
>>
How do people feel about the first draft of psionics (mechanically) that came out with UA? I like the idea of having a bunch of low grade abilities available that you can power up with points for new effects. It would fit nicely as a regular variant of the current spellcasting system (and kind of already does with scaling spells + MP variant), but I'm not sure how I feel about the different disciplines effectively being stances that you shift into at will and then burn points to use abilities.

I guess I prefer my psions like my sorcerers, from a casting perspective.
>>
>>45003851
Personally, I enjoy the base mechanics, but I feel as though the concentration requirement needs to be changed. Not removed, just, changed. Like, a smaller base effect, and a bonus to that if you choose to concentrate on it.
>>
>>45003741
In that case I'd probably go with horde breaker. Would multiattack defense be better than escape the horde or are they both good depending on the situation?
>>
So i've always hated D&Ds Baphomet. It's got nothing to do with Baphomet at all, and there's nothing interesting about a demon lord of angry beasts, and mazes have nothing to do with the fall of civilization. Baphoment as is, is the "Minotaur Demon God" and that's it. Fuck that.

Instead i'm drawing from the original ideas of Baphomet, a thing worshipped by the Knights Templar that was discovered when they were undone. Also more occult representations of Baphomet as this occult source of power and knowlede. Ultimately it is all the great lie of Baphomet.

Baphomet is a demon lord of false idols, false knowledge, and false enlightenment. She encourages heresies and iconoclasts, relishing in converting the faithful of other gods to her flock. She sits in a meditative pose in mockery, adorned in holy symbols of priests she has converted. Her head is that of a cat with a lower humanoid androgynous body. Her avatars are cats and wandering priests.

What I need help with mainly is what kinds of madnesses she instills in others as per OotA.

I'm thinking something that makes people doubt everything they learn, one that makes people think they're right no matter what, something that shakes a persons faith, or something that makes people distrustful of holy people or places.
>>
>>44996787
>Consumption isn't hot

0/Byron
>>
>>44997477
It's a level of obfuscation which adds nothing. It's not a very big level, but the only thing *gained* by it is that you can roll 3d6 for your stats while keeping DC's low.

Which, since it's DnD, is kind of a big deal. But, it is a relic of older game design.
>>
>>44999480
Did Michael Bay make a gay pirate show?
>>
I'm.giving one of my players a special magic item which is extremelt powerful, but using it will cause them to gain one or two levels of exhaustion. Exhaustion is dangerous as fuck so I feel it is a good balance. What do you guys think? They're not at a level where they can easily get rid of exhaustion and even later on only one in the group could cast Greater Restoration to begin with.
>>
Creatures are surprised for the entire first round right?
>>
>>45004512
If they get snuck up on, sure.
>>
>>45004529
But I mean the surprised "condition" lasts for the entire turn, right?
Regardless of if they're attacked or whatever?
>>
>>45004120
I enjoy him personally, but he is drastically different from his source material.

He definitely is a good patron for a power hungry warlock, like what I am playing in my OotA group.
>>
>>45004645
>He definitely is a good patron for a power hungry warlock, like what I am
wow biased much?

OH HAHAH YEAH MY DEMON LORD IS GREAT I ENJOY HIM

fuck off baphomet shill
>>
>>45004560
Yeah, they should be surprised during the entire surprise round if they start being surprised.
>>
>>45004702
So Assassinate + Extra Attack(s) is pretty OP, huh.
>>
>>45004367
Depends on how much down time you allow them. You might just be better off giving them something with charges. Like, say, 3 charges, regains 1d3/ day, if it runs out of charges it goes dead.
>>
>>45004749
Not much. Surprised is a horribly difficult condition to apply. Rogue sneak attack damage is far more efficient with Assassinate than extra attack is in comparison, unless you're using BM maneuvers as well I guess.
>>
>>45004755
I forgot to mention it also keeps the user from resting if certain situations don't apply. The players aren't in a hurry but they can't slack off for days either. Basically the user must kill one creature every day to sate the ring or else they must make a Wisdom save or be unable to sleep. So they can't just rest for it to wear off and they don't know the condition yet.

The exhaustion is also thematic as it is basically a berserk armor, using it drains your body rather than the item.
>>
>>45004789
Since you have a whole item, instead of just a mechanic to explore, why don't you give us all of the information? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>45004698
I never said I wasn't biased. I just wanted to give my opinion. I'm not good at homebrewing stuff I couldn't help ya with your problem.

No need to get so uppity.
>>
>>45004749
Yeah one build people talk about but probably don't do is a fighter with a 3 level dip in rogue, but uses heavy weapons, and uses assassinate, great weapon master, and a greatsword (or what have you) to leverage the +10/-5. Gets ridiculous once you hit 11 fighter and can do 6 attacks in one nova round. Don't forget the bonus action attack on a crit. So thats 7 attacks for 4d6 +10 + your mod (probably +5 at this point). So like 28d6 +85 damage if you can land them all.

But thats all assuming you somehow get the drop on them, so its kind of pointless.
>>
>>45004832
Sorry I was just kidding
>>
>>45004832
That wasn't me (who posted about Baphomet) who replied to you.

I just find him so one dimensional and dissonant in theme. He's literally the Demon Minotaur God. His profile of being the lord of beasts and savagery doesn't work. It would be more suited to Yeenoghu or something.
>>
>>45004821
Because I'm on my phone and don't have the full item functionality available to display and it's full of bonuses making writing it all down more a hassle than it's worth. Did you step on a piece of lego, anon? I was really just looking into seeing how effective exhaustion is as a drawback
>>
>>45004883
Naw, I'm just hungover at 4 AM.

I'd still advise against it, because it's the type of item your players might never use, or will destroy themselves over, but if you handle the pacing of encounters carefully enough then it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>45004848
Oh, your good. Sometimes it's hard to tell sarcasm from sincere posts.

>>45004864
That is probably true.

Tbh I picked Baphomet on a last second whim in the first session of OotA because I forgot to pick my specific patron, I only picked the patron path of fiend.

With that said though, it is strange to see the drastic difference between Baphomet the bull demon and real world Baphomet. Why do you think they changed him so much?
>>
>>45004935
Gygax's description and artists interpretation most likely.
>>
>>45004920
It is currently a big issue since Exhaustion adds on when the character can't sleep, but the item isn't one easily removed through magic (It isn't cursed, which they thought it was). I'm not going to kill the character with exhaustion, but they will either lose the ring or figure out how to "tame" it. The best part is that the Rogue put it on and the Fighter is now hella jealous but can't have it until the ring is displeased with the wearer. (Cutting the finger off is also an option, but the Rogue doesn't like that)

It's basically a torment to keep, a blessing to use and a curse in between. The upsides are massive (lots of resistances to damage, immunity to many conditions including exhaustion), basically +2 AC platemail, +6 strength, fist weapons, the ability to keep going below 0 HP at risk of attacking allies when you run out of enemies. It's a semi-intelligent magic item with the spirit of an ancient beast filled with hunger and rage. I basically stole the berserk armor Gutz uses and made my own version of it.
>>
>>45004985
That's retarded. You should feel bad for that.
>>
>>45005170
The players seemed to enjoy the wicked item and the Rogue is taking it quite well. If you're saying it's because a Berserk reference/rip-off then kindly fuck off, faggot.
>>
Fuck
>>
>>45004935
Because it's a completely made up character that people later made up even more shit about and then way later a nerd thought this demon thing looks rad, I'm gonna put it in my fantasy game?
>>
I apologize for the shitstorm I am likely to kick up here;

What's the Caster/Martial balance like in 5e? Does it do the 3/.5 thing of going absolutely retarded after level X, or did they pull off an act of god and manage to get everything close enough to not make everyone who can't cum lasers out of their nipples cry?
>>
>>45004985
It's too much regardless of the downsides.
>>
>>45005824
They're pretty close now, relatively. Mages get more toys, but they can no longer stack boosts and conditions due to the concentration mechanic. Martials tend to have the advantage in damage.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.