[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 266
Thread images: 39

Last thread >>44902535
Pastebin http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>play/buy anything good recently?
>which game in your collection would you most willingly toss?
>how long is your typical gaming dry spell/how long can you go before murder happens?
>>
>>44975934
Getting Forge War for Christmas was an absolute gem. Only downsides are length and finding people to play it with.

Cop-out option of Monopoly. Of games I actually pull out on occasion, probably Settlers of Catan?

>how long is your typical gaming dry spell/how long can you go before murder happens?
I sometimes have to go a couple months without board games. I find alternative entertainment reading or video games. I'd probably be pretty frustrated in half a year or less.
>>
>>44975934
Now THAT is how you make a thread.
>>
>>44975934
that image arouses me
>>
File: pic1083380.jpg (2MB, 4153x2964px) Image search: [Google]
pic1083380.jpg
2MB, 4153x2964px
>>44975934

Snowed in today, so I cracked open and learned Mage Knight.
>>
>>44976924
How did you like it? Did you play it 1 player?
>>
>>44975934

Had our first CitOW+Rat expansion game last wednesday. Two guys bailed, so we played with 3. We had very little clue what we were doing and Nurgle roflstomped us after we misinterpreted the targeting rule and the plaguebearers soaked most hits against the cultists. I got Tzeentch and focused on being an annoyance to everyone. Great fun overall, can't wait to bring it out again.

Already did. Munchkin and expansions have a nice new owner who couldn't care less about the lolrandumb aspect of it.Glad it found a good home, even though I hadn't enjoyed playing it for quite a while.

I get my fix via mobile apps and solitaire variants, but I've had a nice streak of casual gaming lately. Tons of dead time inbetween work.
>>
>>44977018

Solo, yes, and I liked it. I didn't play through the full solo tutorial because it took long enough with interruptions and cooking in the middle of the whole thing, I only played enough to take in all of the rules and get a sense for the game.

That being said, I loved it and can't wait to play it through to completion. And then try some of the custom campaigns that make it more like an MMO than an objective-based 3-day timed game.
>>
>>44975934

Define recently. Played dungeonquest like 2 weeks ago, and as always that's good. Since then it's been work.

What kind of question is this? If you're so ready to get rid of a game why is it in your collection?

I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 weeks. If I want to play some boring as euro game there's plenty of that around, but if I want to get in some glorious complex lengthy ameritrash I've got to wait for the stars to align and various peoples schedules to work out.

Can't say I've ever been frustrated because I'm not playing board games. I play games to socialize, and board games aren't the only avenue for that sort of thing.
>>
>>44975934

Is Tokaido any fun/replayable? I'm looking for a gateway euro to play with my family.
>>
>>44977671

I know a lot of people are crazy enough to buy the stupid expensive collectors edition of it, so I imagine it's not a terrible choice. You could certainly do worse.
>>
The table in the pastebin is ugly as hell.
>>
>>44977671
Feel like it lacks replayability... it IS fun, with some tough strategic decisions, and very pretty, but ultimately it's the same trip over the same map doing the same stuff over and over.
>>
>>44977671
>>44977947
there's individual player powers/starting gold, and you can play the game either left-to-right or right-to-left. Not much but it's something
>>
I have the chance of getting all of zombicide season 1 w/ kickstarter extras for around 200-250ish bucks. Is that a good deal? Is the game worth getting?
>>
>>44978298
What extras does it even come with? Have you tried looking up the individual prices? Have you done any research at all for yourself?
>>
>>44978298

Meant to reply, I'd say no.

Kickstarter Pledge

Base game - 71 miniatures etc
3 Promo Survivors and their Zombie counterparts: 6 miniatures
4 additional Fatties - 4 miniatures
6 additional Runners - 6 miniatures
20 additional Walkers - 20 miniatures
1 additional Abomination - 1 miniature
1 Eagle / Zombie Eagle - 2 miniatures
1 Cardboard Tube Samurai / Zombie CTS - 2 miniatures
1 Troy / Zombie Troy - 2 miniatures
6 custom black dice
6 glow in the dark dice
1 T-shirt
1 signed lithograph

None of that stuff really adds to the game. Just more of the same, and new characters are stupidly expensive for what they do. One guy tried to sell me like 20 promo characters for like 200 bucks. Laughed in his face and asked if he lost his mind. Guess some people would buy into that.

So no. I think if you want the game, buy it used/off the net for like 60 bucks
>>
Played power grid delux.

I had heard it takes a lot of luck out of the game. but whoever is lucky enough to get last place on the first turn gets a HUGE advantage.

I started in last place and made sure i kept myself there by either having the same number of generators as everyone else and the lowest plant number or 1 less city. In the end with me getting first crack at all the cheep coal, gas, oil and nukes i could just surge ahead in 1 turn and win it.

While i have only played 5 games of it so far everyone can clearly see who the winner will be about 4 or 5 turns before it happens.

I hope im doing something wrong. i want to like this game because it dose seam to take a lot of the luck out of it. but when you spend the last 30 to 45 mins knowing who is going to win its kinda eh.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
1MB, 1920x1280px
>>44977739
>>44977947
>>44978232

FUCK i meant TAKENOKO
the one with hexes and bamboos

tokadio looks cool to though
>>
>>44978298
Zombicide is one of those games people seem to love or hate with little 'Meh' in between. I own/backed the Season 1 KS and got a ton of extra Zombies. Which is why my friends have learned not to screw with hoards. It takes a while before I run out Zombie minis to place with the cards call for more zombies.

The one thing we house-ruled was the rules about firing into squares with both humans and zombies. The game rules have you auto-hit the humans which we found unappealing to say the least. We play that if you fire into a square with humans and zombies, roll to hit the zombies as normal and for each shot that misses a zombie there's a 50/50 chance it will hit one of the humans in that square. While this gives humans in a square being overrun by zombies a fighting chance, it's not a sure thing. And we've had more than one character get wounded or go down to friendly-fire.
>>
>>44978669

Kek, that's what I thought you were talking about anyways.
>>
>>44978298
$200 seems like a waste to me, I try to stay away from promos, collector's items and zombies in general.
>>
>>44957560
Personally hated Dead of Winter. I've played four games of it. First few times there was no traitor and it felt incredibly dull. Fourth time there was a traitor but it felt like "oh, okay, there's a traitor, not much we can do about it though and it doesn't affect that much now that we know". Besides that the other gameplay mechanics feel weak, I wasn't taken with the art direction, and a lot of the flavor text fell flat. Full disclosure: I'm pretty staunchly anti-zombie these days, zombie apocalypse settings always just feel like a way for preppers to jerk off. But even putting aside my bias, the writing made me cringe.

The Crossroads cards are a neat innovation though. Favorite moment of any of the games was when I got a Crossroads card that triggered a good event if anyone at the table yawned during the turn. Somebody did.

Had a really great game of Sheriff of Nottingham recently. Had played it before a couple times but now I'm really getting into it. And I'm completely in love with Fury of Dracula now.

Trying desperately to like Mission: Red Planet because I love Citadels and expected it to be something like "Citadels + area control mechanics", and it basically is that, but every time I play I have a mediocre-to-bad time.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-24+at+12.17.45).jpg (734KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-24+at+12.17.45).jpg
734KB, 1920x1080px
>>44975934
Played Dead Men Tell no Tales recently (screenshot of the end gamestate). Also really loved Castle Dice when I played. It was basically just Burgundy with a makeover.

Excluding bullshit like Skip-Bo and Monopoly, I'd probably toss either Call of Cthulhu LCG, Boss Monster, or Hunger Games Training Days first. In fact I know that Hunger Games would go first.

My typical dry spell is 3 days at most. I get antsy after a week. Gotta have my board games.
>>
>>44979237
>bullshit like Skip-Bo

I could never give up on Skip-Bo. Skip-Bo is love, Skip-Bo is life.
>>
File: Yali1.jpg (135KB, 666x440px) Image search: [Google]
Yali1.jpg
135KB, 666x440px
>>44979271
Skip-Bo a shit

Yali for life.
>>
>All these neat/complex games
>Just wanna play Connect4

http://www.mindoku.com/games
Anyone?
>>
Played a fun game of Eldritch Horror with the gf on our anniversary. While the doom track ran out just before we had solved or last mystery, we were able to still send Yog back to the stars. Most of the world was overrun with monsters, but there was still a world.

Fortune and Glory or Arabian Nights. Played them with my pen and paper group, and I don't know if it was just the games or their play style, but I was just so bored the entire time. Especially disappointing considering I was hyped about both games.

Depends. Me and the gf will usually break out Castles of Burgundy or something lighter maybe once a month. Rarely get to play heavier games as my board game group more or less became a MtG group. My pen and paper group plays some board games, but they're often crap like Munchkin.
>>
>>44979271
Amen, brother. Got it for xmas from the gf's mom as she knows we like games like that. Fun shit to play if you can't devote the time or attention needed for deeper shit.
>>
>>44980239
I grew up playing it with my grandparents all the time so I'm attached to it.
>>
>>44979760
Connect four is solved, anon. First player always wins. Put your chit in the center-most column. Now just react optimally from there. Win
>>
I've never really played any board games, mostly just vidya because I never had friends growing up and was homeschooled as a single child. Now I'm a graphic design major at the end of my junior year and we have to design a board game for our packaging design class, and I finally have friends now so I was wanting to get into some for research.

Tonight I played Clue, Quelf, and Cards Against Humanity, even though it's a card game and the project requires a board. We also have Pandemic, Risk, and Monopoly on the backburner for tomorrow. Any suggestions? I like strategy vidya so I'm expecting to enjoy Risk and Pandemic. My idea for the project is a space based strategy game so I'm hoping to get an idea of what's out there so I don't accidentally rip it off.
>>
>>44980263
For me it was Skip-Bo and Tock. I still play Skip-Bo with my mom and sister occasionally, but we haven't touched Tock in years and we had to look up the rules the last time we did.

>>44980444
To be honest, skip Monopoly if you can. You just roll dice, buy whatever you can and see who runs out of money first because of poor rolls. Risk is probably not bad if you've never played board games, especially if it's the newer version. Pandemic is great.

Can't give you recommendations of space games since I tend to avoid sci-fi, but popular names that come to mind if you want to check them out are X-Wing, Twilight Imperium and Battlestar Galactica.

You could look at entries inthe following categories on BGG (scroll down to Linked items and sort by rank):
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1113/space-exploration
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1016/science-fiction
>>
>Can't give you recommendations of space games since I tend to avoid sci-fi, but I'm going to do it anyways
>>
>>44980640
I didn't recommend anything, I just dropped names that came to mind. I haven't played any of them.
>>
>>44980609
Thanks anon I'll give them a look.
>>
>>44980444
Pandemic will be the most informative by far of the ones you mentioned, at least for cooperative games.

Would recommend Ticket to Ride for a basic competitive strategy board game that's easy to learn as a first game.
>>
today I played DungeonQuest, Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Cutthroat Caverns and had a blast with all of them, I took a bit of gamble with purchasing Cutthroat Caverns but I feel like it's totally worth it when you play with the right group, I'll have to look into expansions for that one. looking forward to playing Kemet on Tuesday if there's enough people
Magic: The Gathering - Arena of the Planeswalkers, my only regret purchase to date though I did trade a bunch of MTG cards to a game store so I didn't technically pay anything for it. WotC a shit
I play weekly with my friend who runs a game store and other friends who generally swing by, so I don't have a murderous rage as of yet
>>
>>44982059
Playing Dungeon Quest ATM. It's pretty good so far. I might buy 3rd edition NOT Revised. I checked the revised rules and sure, it eliminates a "clunky" or "slow" battle system but...replaces it with fucking rock paper scissors. Seriously?

The only beef I have with this game so far is the awful instant death rolling crap. Seems like every third turn we're rolling to see if we instantly die. So we've houseruled that instant death rolls are instead suffer wounds equal to the difference in the target and what was rolled.
>>
>>44980444

Don't even waste your damn time with Monopoly or Risk. They're awful games.

You want to break your damn mind at the possibilities of what a game can be? Play Galaxy Truckers or Cosmic Encounter
>>
>>44982117
I can understand the frustration with instant death (I decided to let the first instant death slide for my friend because it was our first time playing it, there was no other instant deaths that game) but it captures the roguelike feel for me which is what really appeals to me the most. I've seen your suggestion as a common house rule and I'd be willing to play with that rule
>>
>>44982117
It has a single player battle system variant.

Roll a 1-2: 1 damage to player
Roll a 3-4 : 1 damage t player 1 damage to monster
Roll a 5: 1 damage to monster
Roll a 6: 2 damage to monster

I never played the earlier combat system but I don't mind just rolling dice a bunch for combat.
>>
>>44982117
>Seems like every third turn we're rolling to see if we instantly die. So we've houseruled that instant death rolls are instead suffer wounds equal to the difference in the target and what was rolled.

You could always just remove the instant death cards. Also just make bottomless pit lead to the catacombs or just remove the tile.
>>
>>44982170
>>44982181
We ended up flipping the table probably 7 times due to instant deaths happening. And there was an awful situation where after she looted the dragon room, a card made her instantly exit with all her loot. Forcing me to get there ASAP and loot more than her, succeeding, then her just sitting there for 12 turns while I leave. I didn't even leave because of the awful bullshit random tiles and death traps in the game.

This game is really really bad. I wanted to like it because it was such a cool dungeon crawler. I will never play this awful waste of time again.
>>
>>44982548
Wow, so you just don't like it at all that you often lose? I find it fun. If you won every time it would get old quite quickly.

Pushing your luck in the dragon chamber and seeing everything go up in flames is fun.
>>
>>44982582
>Wow, so you just don't like it at all that you often lose?
No, that's not what I said. Player elimination is already a tricky subject since people have to take time out of their busy adult lives to come over and play some 3+ hour game with you and learn it. Now they're facing the fact that within 1-5 rooms, they might just roll a die and instantly be killed. Eliminated forever. Unable to experience the game as a player. Even with the variant rules, it doesn't do much to keep that player engaged.

Instant death in games is just a terrible lazy bullshit mechanic that no one likes. Fucking you around all game repeatedly with no goddamn end is frustrating and annoying for me personally and my entire group, but the real asshollery of the game was the instant death crap. If there was a sense of progress in the game like a roguelike, as I said, it may not be as bad. But in a roguelike, you also expect to "meat grinder" and as such they're all single player so you can just roll up again.

"Losing" is not the problem. I play Arkham Horror on a regular basis. This game just has no justification for half its annoying bullshit.
>>
Who's in for The 7th Continent?
I was hype when I kick-started but I've since lost the hype,though I haven't looked at anything concerning the game since.
Will still be happy to get it & hopefully it's what I'm looking for in a game
>>

Buy: I'm buying an expansion to Nightfall as the base game seems a bit dry, should be shipping soon.

Play: StarCraft is a gift that keeps on giving, the games get more and more enjoyable (though I'm getting my shit pushed in more and more at the last turn), can't wait for next Sunday when we'll play again.

Munchkin < Pandemic < Dominant Species (I like it but it gets no play time right now!) < Nightfall
We manage to play pretty regularly, I don't think we had a dry spell that lasted more than three weeks. We have long sessions on most weekends and shorter ones during the work week most often.
>>
Hi /bgg/,

Lately we have been playing a few games of The Resistance and The Resistance: Avalon. For those who don't know, cards are given to make two teams: the spies and the resistance. The spies then secretly recognise themselves and must work together to sabotage the mission. While the resistance must find out who they are and what are sure the missions are clear of spies.

It's a great game that involves a lot of yelling and lying through one's teeth. And it is something that even non nerds will immediately pick up and have a blast, so it's great to bring around to parties and such.

I am looking for other games in a similar vein, can anyone suggest any?
>>
>>44983396
Werewolf
>>
>>44983406

This?

http://www.playwerewolf.co/rules/
>>
>>44983445
Yeah, but look up One Night Ultimate werewolf, it's what I would recommend
>>
>>44975934
>>play/buy anything good recently?
I've just bought Elder Sign, it's good enough for a beer game and gives the time for someone to set up another game. So despite how simple and random it is, I think of it as a good purchase.
>>which game in your collection would you most willingly toss?
Runebound. Thanks god no one wants to play it.
>>how long is your typical gaming dry spell/how long can you go before murder happens?
Usually around 1-1,5 week. Here and there I have a month free of board games, however it's not that bad - I'm also into wargames so it gives me a lot of time for painting.
>>
>>44975934
bought cyclades, waiting for distributor to ship me missing parts
also expansion to kemet which i really like
room 25...? I guess. Played it once or twice, not amazing by any metric
my powerlevel is not high enough to kill over gaming withdrawal syndrome, but it is usually less than a month
>>
Anybody played Illuminati? I read about it 10+ years ago in a newspaper , seemed fun but I was only into m:tg back then.

I've seen a couple of reviews of it and I can't shake of the Munchkin vibe, it just looks like a precursor to Munchkin with everything else that's bad with it.

Am I right or is this game fun?
>>
>>44983396
As an anon suggested before me, One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a game exactly like you want, but with less yelling, as you could just trick people instead of outyell them. But you should also check out Coup, or Coup: Rebbelion G54, with as much as lieing, but with less teamplay, or Deception: Murder In Hong Kong, with a single traitor, and a Concept like investigation part.
>>
>>44975934
>play
Actually had the chance to play Twilight Struggle the other day, both of us were new players though I had some solo experience. Saw somewhere that it was better for newer players to play as the US, so we did that and I gave him a 7 point handicap. He did pretty well for his first time playing the game, but at turn 5 round 3 or 4 it was -19 and he had a terrible hand of atleast OPEC, Blockade, and Quagmire and had already spaced a card, so we ended it there. Was fun, but it'll definitely be hard to bring to the table frequently

>toss
None really, though if I had to get rid of one as a sacrifice for the greater good it'd probably be Castles of Mad King Ludwig due to being hard to get to the table.

>dry spell
I try to play a game once a week, which has been working so far, usually games that end under an hour. The heavier games I can afford to play once a month or more I think.
>>
Bought Sedition Wars.
Reviews aren't great, but it was super cheap and has lots of minis, so even if it never hits the table I'll have fun just painting them.
>>
>>44982808

>Do absolutely zero research on what dungeonquest is all about, then call the mechanics shit because you don't like how cheap life is in that game

Don't really know what to tell you anon. Do more research before you purchase something in the future. It still pretty much sounds like you don't like it because you lose that game so easily, like everyone else.
>>
>>44984364

Shit, meant to reply to this too. I bought it for the minis as well, but if you get a game in I'd like to hear about it.

On the topic of minis, im not sure if you've touched them yet, but have fun with that. Also get some hot water ready to bend and align the bigger monsters. Mine didn't assemble for shit so I had to heat and bend. Still, they make good sci fi minis, and the zombies have a couple uses. More if you don't paint the metal bits and just stick to rotten flesh colors.
>>
>>44975934
Played some CitOW a few days ago, hadn't played it for quite a while. Not bought anything recently.

Arkham Horror and/or the Game of Thrones boardgame (1st edition).

Usually no longer than a week, never gone longer than maybe two weeks without some form of boardgaming since I started.
>>
File: pic2820215.jpg (124KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
pic2820215.jpg
124KB, 1000x750px
Just had our first attempt at Virgin Queen. While we only managed to play two turns, it was still a blast. Can't wait to actually play an entire game at some point.

I played Spain, and had such a solid first turn, keeping the Ottomans at bay, bolstering the Netherlands and hauling all the treasure that once I was withing two keys of a victory, and in the lead in VP, everyone just pulled out all the stops to break me. If we had continued just a few turns more, I have no idea where it would go. Goddamn, I love assymetric games, I love historical games, I like long-ass games, this was just my cup of tea
>>
Touching on that second question, where do you guys sell your games? Selling used board games is a pain in the ass. Starting to think anything less than 10 bucks should just get thrown away/donated
>>
>>44986106
I can't be bothered personally. If I had a local game store I'd trade them in if possible or just give them away for their gaming room or something. I'll bring them to the thrift store eventually.
>>
>>44986106
Trading > selling. Win-win for both parties, most are in acceptable condition, and dinged toys are still fun to play with.
>>
>>44983637
Brother in law is a big fan, makes me play it with him at Gencon every year. It's better than Munchkin and can be quite fun, but for me it takes too long for what it is. Quite a bit deeper than Munchkin, especially among those who play often, and tighter, the 2nd place wins problem can still happen, but not as often. Possibly the best rule from the game is it encourages you to cheat, as long as you're not caught, which makes it a bit more fun to play.
>>
>>44986106
If you can't be assed to spend a couple weeks posting online to find a buyer for a particular game then you probably won't care much whichever way you get rid of it. You could probably just bin it and have no regrets.
>>
>>44986106
Math trade and BGG marketplace, if a game I no longer want isn't gone within 2 years I offer it to the youth group that meets at the church 3 doors down from me.
>>
>>44986264

>Donate to the game library

Local place has something like that. I've got a couple games I've won via contests and such. Think that sounds like a good idea as any. Got a young nephew i could just dump them on as well.

>>44986269

I managed to get rid of a twighlight expansion I had a couple of in exchange for a tub with about...oh...50 or so axis and allies minis, the ones that came in the boosters. The sniper in the grass one was such a neat mini I figured it was worth it.

>>44986325

>If you can't be assed to spend a couple weeks
>weeks

Try months friendo. Months making listings on craigslist, big bartering websites, facebook group postings, and trade events at flgs. All the stuff priced lower than any prices I can find for sale. Flashpoint, Dominion, Age of Soccer, Smash Up, Netrunner, etc. etc. These things do not move.

>>44986355

I need to look into that math trade thing. I've heard people mention it locally but I've never spent any amount of time seeing how it works
>>
>>44986382
>Try months friendo.
That's my problem with this. Time is money and I'm not willing to waste hours posting ads and researching prices just to make a few bucks when I could be playing my other games (or doing something useful).
>>
>>44986434

Yerp. It just grates me something fierce, because I've got a lot of projects all over the place, and I hate looking at shit wasting space, but at the same time it's not really that much space and it could possibly yield revenue just by posting and forgetting about it in various places. But yeah
>>
File: illuminati-cards.jpg (99KB, 645x461px) Image search: [Google]
illuminati-cards.jpg
99KB, 645x461px
>>44983637
>looks like munchkin
Well, it IS a Steve Jackson game. All I know about it is that the game predicted 9/11 and I'm pretty sure it's long out of print
>>44983299
Was super close to backing it. If I was looking for an adventure-exploration board game that game would be it, but I just don't need one of those. I may get it next year on clearance
>>44983638
>less yelling
I have the opposite experience
>>
>>44986757
>long out of print
Deluxe edition is still in print and the one people play, it ended up being #15 in sales last year according to the stakeholder report.

>>44986529
I had a couple promos from cons that I couldn't unload, tossed em up on the charity auction for the one Vasel runs. Got rid of stuff and counts as a tax deduction, always an option if math trading fails you.
>>
>>44986978

Yeah, I managed to get rid of a few promos via ebay. However...

>Fluxx tabletop promo
>5 or so bucks everywhere
>sell it for 4
>someone makes a dollar offer

Think I'd rather just burn it.

Also, I got an odd lot that had malifaux singles in it, singles that are now part of sets. Absolutely do not sell. I'd like to say with minis, it's either sellable or it's rpg fodder for con games whenever I run those.
>>
>>44985592
Too bad the only stuff ever discussed here is fantasy flight/cool mini or not tier crap. Oh, and a couple memers repost twilight imperium shit every thread, without fail. Historical strategy is goat, too bad none of my friends ever want to play it.
>>
>>44987108
Fuck promos, they rarely add something substantial to a game... I got some promo tiles for Keyflower and they don't seem that great.

Celeste, Storyteller and Trader, seller goofed and sent them along with an unrelated order, I asked if he wanted 'em back, he told me to keep 'em for free. I checked and the prices listed are in the 15-60 dollar range for each tile, which is frankly stupid.

Are there really people willing to pay that much? I may list those for sale, even if it takes months to go.
>>
>>44988955
Got $25 in the charity auction for a pair of Dixit promos, sold duplicates a month later on the regular market for $20. Promos hardly ever add to the game, but lots of gamers are completionists and addicts, just requires waiting for that addict to show up.
>>
File: evolution.jpg (46KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
evolution.jpg
46KB, 450x450px
Anybody hear anything about the game Evolution? Artwork looks absolutely amazing but it seems kinda expensive

I love games that focus on the progression of a single species that change over time, but I really can't find a whole lot about the game online. Anybody /ThatGuys/ own it or play if before?
>>
>>44989161
Played it. It is a decent little game. Varied enough to play more than one or two times. You can have more than one species, though. Worth a buy for sure.
>>
Played Word Whimsy, Guillotine and Epic Spell Wars. Heard good things about the new Star Wars Monopoly, so I bought a cheap copy off eBay
Atmosfear - I'm never going to play it
About a fortnight, maybe 3 weeks at most
>>
>>44988955
What the fuck is the point in promo pieces if they aren't normally in the game? I'd understand if they were just alternative art, but when it changes the gameplay it's annoying because they're always expensive or hard to find.
>>
File: pic1424039_md.jpg (152KB, 371x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1424039_md.jpg
152KB, 371x500px
>>44990109
Forgot my pic. These elusive tiles annoyed me.
>>
>>44990109

In a perfect world, they're extra ideas the devs thought of after everything had been finalized. They might be semi untested, and meant for fun only for the fans of the game.

Realistically, they probably chop of bits of the game pre launch, then release them in ways that require people to spend more money to get them. Like coming to their booth at a con and buying something or paying to enter their league and get it as a admittance prize.
>>
>>44984424
I didn't buy it, I played it. Just because I played the game without doing a doctorate thesis on it doesn't mean my opinion is invalid. If it's a shit experience, you don't get to silence my retelling of it.
>>
>>44988689
U wot m8. Historical strategy games were shitting up the thread for like the past two threads.
>>
>>44988689
It's kind of sad that you have to shit all over games when you post.
>>
>>44988689
Maybe there's a reason they don't want to play them with you.
>>
>>44986272
Thanks for chipping in! I think I'll pass.

>>44986757
Yep, I know it's a Steve Jackson game my enthusiasm about this game looked like sinusoidal

> 1st time learning about it - excited
> later on ignoring it because no money - not excited
> remembering it again after all those years - excited
> seeing it was made by Steve Jackson - not excited
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6MB, 1040x3642px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6MB, 1040x3642px
I've read that there's a new Batman miniatures game, and even a Batman version of Rory's Story Cubes. Anybody played either of those?
>>
>>44980282
So is chess but it doesn't stop people from playing.
>>
>>44992312
No, chess is partially solved which is why it's boring. Now the only way to play is memorize 400 gambits and their counter moves. Wow, so fun. Much game.
>>
>>44992344

Just play Chess960
>>
>>44983637
Illuminati actually decent and good fun. INWO is even better (just not as a CCG), but at least the last time I checked an INWO One With Everything set was crazy expensive.
>>
>>44990678

Do you also just stumble into theaters, only to think the movie you watched was shit because you don't like the genre of the movie? Man life must be frustrating for you.
>>
>>44993533
You're terrible at analogies. I love the genre. I mentioned roguelikes for fuck's sake. I mentioned Arkham Horror. But god forbid someone bring up cogent points that outline negative aspects of a game you personally like.
>>
>>44993703

Starting to sound like you're just having a bad day.
>>
>>44993751
Why do you deflect and ignore criticism with every post. Look at this:

>>44982808
>"Losing" is not the problem. I play Arkham Horror on a regular basis. This game just has no justification for half its annoying bullshit.

>>44984424
>It still pretty much sounds like you don't like it because you lose that game so easily, like everyone else.

Look, I don't give a fuck what other people think. But when someone brings up points about a game in detail and vents their frustration, what you DON'T do is just dismiss all of them and bring up unrelated shit like "not doing research", insinuating they "bought the game", and implying they "don't know how cheap life is". What you DO, is engage them further, using what they've already said as a jumping off point. One of those makes you a douchebag and contributes nothing helpful to the thread. One of those sparks discussion that can lead to others enjoying or avoiding an experience. Which do you want to be?
>>
>>44993864

Okay, you win :)
>>
>>44975934
There's a discord channel for anyone who wants to discuss board games or design. Especially relevant if you have TableTop Sim and want to throw down.

https://discord.gg/0laJMtUwLNBPxHjX
>>
>>44993864
Oh, look another person arguing for the entire thread. I wonder who that is.
>>
>>44992263
>Batman miniatures game
I've played a few games of it, and enjoy it quite a bit. Its a skirmish size game with alternating activations, though you have to pre-allocate your actions at the start of the turn, which adds a nice wrinkle. I am primarily a skirmish size miniature gamer (mostly malifaux, some infinity) and it feels different enough that I can see playing it along with those games.

Its on the far end of the models are expensive, but you only need a few to play. Hero Models are ~$17 US a pop, but take up 1/3 of your crew, mooks are ~$17 US for a pair. In the end a tournament list will end up costing you on par or less than an infinity list or a competitive Malifaux pool. The models are probably the best metals out there, edging out infinity, though their QC is not as good as Corvus Belli.

Its also worth noting that this month the company behind the game, Knight Models, announces a compatible marvel version of the game centered around spiderman. You can't hire across games, but you can play batman crews against spiderman crew.
>>
>>44992344

You're a fucking idiot and probably a complete patzer.

1. Chess is not solved, not even "partially". The closest thing we have are endgame tablebases that tell us the outcome of games with 7 pieces or less, but if you can't get to a winning endgame, it doesn't count for jack shit.

The weakest "solution" to a game is from its starting position, with optimal play from both sides, a mathematical proof that determines if the game is a win, a loss, or a draw. So far, we haven't even come close the absolute weakest solution.

2. Humans can't even come close to playing at a level where chess being solved would mean anything either way. If chess is solved, or if it isn't, it's not going to change the way HUMANS play, because a solution would entail memorizing a gigantic game tree that would be far, far beyond the limits of human memory, or ability.

3. 95% of chess players don't even play at a level where having a bunch of opening understanding/theory is what's losing them games. It's generally considered that it's not until you become a master that you start needing vast amounts of opening preparation and theory knowledge. If you're below 2000 Elo, you're not losing games because your opponent is more booked up than you, it's because you're still missing tactics, or letting yourself get into too weakened of a position without enough compensation.

Opening knowledge only helps when you're actually a good enough player to capitalize on the small positional edge that a good opening will get you.
>>
>>44995366
This post shows you have no understanding on how to get to midgame. If you play without gambit knowledge, your midgame will be non-existent. The only way to garner a win at that point is if your opponent is straight up worse than you and has no knowledge either. The game is entirely memorization until you're set up.

Let's also not forget that it's imbalanced. Look into game theory.
>>
>>44995458
>If you play without gambit knowledge

Okay, are you trolling me at this point?

I don't know anyone in the chess community who uses language like that, I feel like only a true neophyte would.

You can certainly play without "gambit knowledge" or "opening theory" as it's more normally called in the community, because it happens all the fucking time. Getting into a playable middle game when you're not a grandmaster isn't rocket science, and it certainly doesn't require hours upon hours of theory to be able to do.
>>
>>44995458

Let's not forget either, that even at the top top top level of play, the greatest grandmasters in the world still lose games because they missed TACTICS. Or let themselves get into a POSITIONAL BIND.
>>
>>44995274
Cool. I'm not a miniatures gamer, but it definitely sounds interesting.
>>
File: IMG_20150601_023756.jpg (701KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150601_023756.jpg
701KB, 1536x1536px
Playing lnoe for the millionth time.
>>
>>44996879
>Minifig !!3kTkiqN0Gwz
>I'm not a miniatures gamer
>Minifig

tripfags confirmed for retarded
>>
>>44989161
tried it once, I liked it. Most people say it's better with the expansion.
>>
>>44975934
Played Castles of Burgungy and bought Keyflower. Also in on the Bruges massdrop that started today.

Burn in Hell, and any Munchkin still lurking arouns.

>>how long is your typical gaming dry spell/how long can you go before murder happens?
It's been months in the past, but now have found a weekly group.
>>
>>44975934
Thunderstone is always fun.

Right now Dark Moon. Played it twice total now and it's bombed pretty hard for the group. Most recent play uninfected were getting massively lucky and there wasn't anything the infected could do to stop them. Granted the infected DEFINITELY should have revealed themselves sooner (they waited until after about halfway through) but even then they likely wouldn't have had a chance with the pluses we were rolling. We literally didn't fail a single malfunction test.

I get to play board games around once a month usually. Sometimes a little more often than that since everyone else wants to do RPGs more.
>>
>>44989161
Quite fun. My group has been discovering the nuances, our opinion on powerful cards has shifted repeatedly, and it also changes based in the number of players. Species die a lot, the meta shifts in surprising ways, it is pretty fun. I'm tempted in the expansion, but would like more games under my belt before pulling the trigger.

Also, one of the few games I have that played great at the awkward three player number!
>>
>>44999626

>Thunderstone

I need to finally knock out that deluxe case for all of thunderstone classic. Got all the materials just sitting around waiting for purpose.

Could never think of a nice design for it though outside of just being a sleek box. Maybe a treasure chest or something I dunno
>>
>>44988689
>what is:
>z man games
>wizards of the coast
>asmodee
>plaid hat
>AEG
>days of wonder
>lvl99 games

Maybe we don't bitch about the specific companies per se, but their top games get plenty of discussion and recommendations. Neuroshima Hex, Nightfall, Dead of Winter, and plenty of others come up thread after thread.

To think we only talk about ffg or cmon games means you're either blind or wilfully ignorant because "muh history gamez dun get enuf ".
>>
>>44999975
Historical games even have their own fucking general usually.
>>
>>44995727
Heh, that reminds of a family friend many decades ago who was a serious Chess fan. One of the earliest Atari Consoles had a chess program that would take 12 hours to calculate it's next move at Master level of play. My neighbor would make a move in the morning before going to work, and later that night the machine would be done with its move. One night he comes over and is he ever mad. He swears up and down that the computer cheated and moved one his pieces. Turns out he was right. He replayed the game, and took photos of his TV screen. Sure enough, late in the game the computer actually moved his bishop. Apparently the game was programmed not to lose at Master level. He had it to a point where it couldn't calculate a winning solution, so the machine simply moved a piece (his!) until it found a board state where it could calculate a winning outcome. Atari wrote a nice reply to the letter he sent them acknowledging their error and apologizing for any 'frustration' it may have caused.

It's one thing when humans cheat, it's another with the Computer starts doing it too.
>>
>>45002514
That sounds infuriating from your friend's position but hilarious from an outsider's.
>>
>>45002597
He was seriously ticked off. My parents were laughing at the notion that the computer game cheated (which only furthered his displeasure). But in the end he was vindicated. Ironically it took him a good while to replay the game to the state it was in when it started cheating. So he had to put up with everyone else telling he was nuts to think the game cheated until he finally got his photographic proof.
>>
>>45002677
I can only imagine the fury. But lo and behold, he was fucking right. The sheer "I told you so" value in that must have been cathartic, hopefully.
>>
>>44996908

I'm getting mixed reviews here on that game. For me it looks precisely what I'm looking for - a lighthearted zombie game with B-movie aesthetics.

So - is it worth getting? Is it engaging? Anything better in the survival/zombie genre?
>>
>>45002514

Don't you just hate people who cheat in boardgames? My friend's (now ex) gf cheats a lot and sometimes in a quite obvious matter - peeking at the deck, rearranging the cards , looking at what other people have in their deck so on so forth. I don't know why she does it - I think she think she's fun or something like that.

Although, it's annoying, I wouldn't mind it personally because losing to her is not like losing at all (and most of the time it doesn't matter in the long run because she sucks at strategy) but people get extremely salty and I don't blame them. The game then degenerates to a shouting match with her going "I DIDN'T CHEAT" and people enumerating what would be physically possible for her. I think she adds up at least 30 minutes to an hour to a game.
>>
Started my collection with Axis & Allies 1941 edition, played it with a friend. Was great.
None
I go weeks or months without playing, I quench my thirst though with video games. But I'd probably go insane if I didn't play a board game in at least a year.
>>
Does anyone use varnish for their game components like chits? Mine are getting a little bit of wear and I'd like to preserve them a little bit longer. Would this work?

http://www.daxmagic-webshop.nl/engels/vallejo/mediums--varnish/val27651.php
>>
>>45005137
I have never used anything on game pieces, but I have used puzzle fixers before. You might have some luck using puzzle glue.

How much wear do they have? Do you want to preserve them because they're going to become illegible or because you want them looking nice? You could always use something in place of them to save them the wear if that's the case.
>>
>>45005284

They're only starting to wear but the game was only played like 6-7 times and so far we play every weekend so there's a big possibility that it will start to wear down in a few months, I want to preserve them for as long as possible.

I was considering 3d-printing them or trying to carve them out of wood and painting them because they should be simple enough.
>>
>>44996928
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minifig
>>
>>45004586

I remember that I found the system to be kind of shit and boring. It's been so long since I played it, I sadly can't give you much in the way of specifics.

If you really have a hard on for the b-movie look, then that's probably your best choice. I'd still say you're better off with zombicide or Zombies!!!

>>45004691

>playing thunderstone with friend and friends gf
>explain the rules multiple times to her, finally think she's capable of stumbling through the game
>some time later into it
>notice she's doing things she should be able to do, like purchase cards she doesn't have the cash for or cards she has no use for
>call her out on it
>"I decided to cheat just to see what would happen teehee"

So yeah she got a silent ban from my parties. She's not easy on the eyes either, but I guess she's got some redeeming quality somewhere because friend cut off connections with a lot of friends and family after they got together.

>>45005432

Sheesh, what game are you playing with? My copy of Supremecy is still holding up except for the cardboard box, and that game is like 30 something years old
>>
>>45005878

I guess I'll mull over it and try to read the manuals before buying. I'm really itching for a zombie game. People also diss zombiecide so I guess there's really no THE zombie game.

> Sheesh, what game are you playing with? My copy of Supremecy is still holding up except for the cardboard box, and that game is like 30 something years old
Starcraft. The order tokens are starting to get some wear. Mostly because people are holding them all the time in the planning phase. Everything else doesn't show any signs of wear (well some of the models have to be periodically reattached with plastic cement).
>>
>>45005914

>zombicide hate

Dont see much of that outside of /tg/. Fully coop while LNOE is 1vMany, and the rules are pretty easy to teach. I'll bring it with me if I'm ever doing board games at a con, always get a full table. Not saying impulse buy it, but give it a look over as well.

I'd say zombicide feels like left 4 dead, while LNOE feels kind of like descent.

>tokens

Oh okay I thought you were talking about plastic ones. At least I think you're talking about cardboard ones now. Anyways yeah some sealer should be fine. An alternate route if you're a DIY guy, print out images of the tokens, and put clear epoxy sticker on them. I do it for infinity (mini war game) order tokens. Gives them a nice solid feel, and if you double side them, they're always really easy to pick up because they no longer sit flush.
>>
>>45005967
The 1vMany seems a selling point to me - seldom do "AI" monsters do anything for me.

Anyway for me it's a pick between Zombiecide, LNOE or City of Horror

> tokens
Yeah cardboard ones. For now it's going to be varnish and if they get fucked up I'm going to either make them out of wood or 3D print them.
>>
>>45006001

Yeah if you like 1vMany and the aesthetic, LNOE would be best for you. Also note, I fully well think my distaste for the art style effected my opinion of the game. For the price, the b-movie look just feels cheaply produced.

Know absolutely zero about city of darkness so I'm not much help there.
>>
played Zombicide and Munchkin this weekend with GF and friends - she is very much into Zombicide, it's the first tabletop game any of us have played (excluding monopoly or scrabble or whatever) and aside from the bizzare shooting rules it's pretty great. Plus it got us both into painting minis and away from the TV to the point where we cancelled our TV licence.

Munchkin is just funny and i don't understand why people get so serious over it.

>inb4 lolling at bongistan TV licences.
>>
>>45006070
For me it just aged quickly. Like 4 games quickly. We did have a blast playing the first game but it just went downhill. Most other games I got don't follow that pattern it's usually fun for quite some time and then "It's fun but let's play something else" and we come back to some of those games, other games are just better and better on each play-through when you learn the intricacies and you start to test some wild shit.

So yeah if you like it good for you, you have like 2341234 expansions to keep you occupied.
>>
>>45006091
Yeah we have..uh...all of them. RIP cupboard space.
>>
>>45005914
What about Zombie 15? Heard it was good, though setup seems to be a pain.
>>
>>45006195
>Zombie 15

Haven't heard about that desu, will check out.

>>45006050
I understand you about the aesthetic. I like it but even for me it looks like shit on every other game of theirs. For me it just fits the zombie theme so much.
>>
>>44979237
what s that game?
>>
>>45006310
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Dead Men Tell No Tales.
>>
I just bought Ghost Party (Midnight Party), Ultimate Werewolf, and a childhood favorite Frog Juice.
Risk Legacy because I can't get a good, steady group to play it regularly.
1 or 2 months
>>
>>45006333
seems like it, what s the engined used to play it online?
>>
>>45006508
That's tabletop simulator.
>>
>>44980444
Try playing Go.
>>
>>45006001
I've always wondered about what type of varnish would work best on components myself, but never felt the need to go out and buy some to test. Got a couple cans atm though from finishing up painting minis, so just sprayed a couple tokens with the matte clear I use. In 3 hours I'll come back with a report on how they've turned out.
>>
>>45007488

I bought Army Painter - Anti Shine Matte Varnish, hope it will look nice.
>>
>>45007683
Yeah I always go with Krylon's matte clear, never felt the need to pay more for the primer/finish when minis paint is already so damn expensive.
>>
File: DUST Walker.jpg (47KB, 736x356px) Image search: [Google]
DUST Walker.jpg
47KB, 736x356px
>>44975934
Ta-Seti for Kemet is in the mail, as is World of Smartphones: War of the Battery Life. Remains to be seen whether the latter is good as more than a gimmick.
Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, Ticket to Ride, or Sequence, probably. If I had to pick something I actually like a little, it might be DUST Tactics. The models are such fantastic diedelpunk porn, but the game just never gets played and isn't as deep as I wish it was.
Right now I'm only playing about once every two weeks, mildly frustrating.

>>44978298
It's not a bad deal compared to MSRP, but the number of discreet games you can get for $200 is pretty staggering by comparison. I don't think it's generally a good idea to get that deep into a single game unless you've already got so much breadth in your collection that you gain more by making the games you already play more interesting varied than by adding more games that compete for the same table slot.

>>44980444
>Strategy Vidya
Kemet, Rex, Chaos in the Old World
>Space Strategy
Twilight Imperium, Exodus: Proxima Centauri, Eclipse, Hegemonic, Cosmic Encounter (very light), Chaosmos.

>>44983396
I'd highly recommend Mafia De Cuba, One Night Revolution, and Two Rooms and a Boom, as well as seconding Coup G54.

>>44983637
Seconding that it's too long for it's depth.
>>
File: 20160125_122142.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160125_122142.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>45007488
So tokens ended up drying quite a bit faster than plastic minis. The varnish has taken pretty well, and the matte definitely takes some of the shine off. The un-coated tokens feel slippery, those that have the matte don't feel rough, but they've definitely lost the ultra smooth/slippery feel. If you're going to do a bunch of tokens tho I'd recommend just a couple at a time because these got pushed all over by the spray. When I went to do the reverse 10 minutes later I had to pry them off the board I use as a spray surface because they'd slid into small pools of the varnish, no damage but annoying. If I were going to do this for a game I know is going to be played a ton I'd prolly just spray the unpunched sheets when I first got the game.
>>
File: fucking-genius.gif (682KB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
fucking-genius.gif
682KB, 320x179px
>>45008899
>spray the unpunched sheets
Although I do wonder if that would make them difficult to punch out.
>>
>>45009103
>>45008899

Ait I'll try that for the next game. Wonder how the SC order tokens will come out, though.
>>
>>45009103
Might make it a bit tougher, if the token was a bit bigger, I wouldn't worry about it and just spray them after punching, but wrangling the lil fuckers was a pain. Then again I'm also crazy enough that I color the edges of tokens in most of my games, so if there was any chipping on the very edge I'd just paint/varnish over it.
>>
File: Primed 01.jpg (186KB, 819x614px) Image search: [Google]
Primed 01.jpg
186KB, 819x614px
>>45008899
>>45009103

The problem with spraying them while they're unpunched is that they may well stick to the board and then get damaged when you try to remove them, and the edges will be unprotected. You might try using blue painters tape with the sticky side up. You should be able to flex the tape and remove the tokens without damaging the bottoms, and the tokens won't slide around / get stuck together while you're spraying them. I do the same thing with my minis when I'm spray priming / base coloring them.
>>
File: Ready to be primed.jpg (162KB, 819x614px) Image search: [Google]
Ready to be primed.jpg
162KB, 819x614px
>>45009370
The nice part is you can often reuse the original strip of tape. Just flip over the part and put it right back on the uncovered area of the tape. Because having parts stick together sucks.
>>
File: pic150626.jpg (99KB, 574x390px) Image search: [Google]
pic150626.jpg
99KB, 574x390px
Why is this game so expensive? Anyone know if it's any good or not?
>>
>>45009459
>Why is this game so expensive?
Out-of-print = sellers getting big dollar signs in their eyes
>Anyone know if it's any good or not?
Sam from The Dice Tower will praise it to high heaven if he has the opportunity. I generally trust his judgement on board games, but I'd advise you to do as much research as you can.
>>
>>45006070
>Zombicide and Munchkin

The novelty for Zombicide wore off shortly after the first game I played. The novelty for Munchkin wore off during my second turn.

>paying your tv license
Please see: https://www.youtube.com/user/fu4nvf
>>
>>44975934
I recently bought Onward to Venus. I have to play it with more than 2 people, but it's pretty fun. Hard not to enjoy using blunderbuss rayguns to take out those pesky Venusians and swipe their mountain for mining.

I would probably toss Castle Panic. I like it well enough, but all my friends are artists and really don't like the airbrushed art style and so I can't get anyone to play it with me. I do feel like the mechanics of using cards with soldiers on them to take out certain regions is kind of lame sometimes.

I can't go more than a month without some gaming with friends. I've stopped playing video games altogether because I've begun to find this much more enjoyable. Something about being actively engaged with your friends around a tablet, drinking and chatting and also cursing at each other as you screw up their plans is much better than all staring at a screen or yelling over a mic at one another.
>>
>>44980444
I know you're probably already done with your research at this point, but Stratego, for me personally, is one of my all-time favorite games. It's two player, just you sitting across from your opponent like two commanders in a game of guess who-meets-battleship.

The mind games are what sells this game for me, and the replayability of setting up your troops. You each have soldiers to set up on your own side of the board, with their pictures facing you, so the other person doesn't know what's there until they move up pieces to try and capture them. In the new version, higher numbers are best (which I prefer, makes sense to me), and beat out those tiny numbers.

You're trying to capture the enemies flag, hidden somewhere among all their pieces, and probably surrounded by bombs! Luckily some of your pieces can do special things like defuse bombs, or the spy, who can assassinate their high-ranking general, or the scouts, who can run across the map to help reveal pieces. A good memory and good bluffing/ deployment often leads to victory! But don't doubt that the other person will have tricks up their sleeve as well...STRATEGO!!!

How's that?
>>
File: Supply-demand-equilibrium.svg.png (56KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Supply-demand-equilibrium.svg.png
56KB, 1024x1024px
>>45009543
>Out-of-print = sellers getting big dollar signs in their eyes
Do you even economics bro? if its priced too high then it wont sell and buyers will just buy the cheaper price when it comes along. No ones just gonna give you the MSRP if there is a demand at a higher price, and since it is oop there's no price ceiling on the secondary market.

gaurunteed if you had a copy and put it there for .99 auction people would bid it up to it's current market price.
>>
>>45010288
no one really cares for your armchair economics lesson
>>
>>45010288
Some sellers can only kind of into economics - if it's too high and nobody's buying, they'll just fall for the gambler's fallacy and go "Well, SOMEBODY will buy it eventually! Eventually, they'll have no choice!"

I'm not saying it makes sense, but it does happen.
>>
>>45002369
that's wargames you nonce
>>
Looking for a hidden movement game, perhaps Spectre Ops or Fury of Dracula. Any opinions on these? Any suggestions for other ones (White Chapel, etc)?

I value mechanic intuitiveness the most, if a game flows without hiccups then I greatly appreciate them.
>>
Got Xenoshyft and it's been the most quick fun we have as a group besides MtG so I love it and might get the second edition coming out
I would never want to toss out a game but it would probably be Smash Up because so few of the people I play with like it
We usually only go a week without playing but a month is the longest I can go without even booting up Tabletop Simulator or something to scratch the itch
>>
>>45006070
>>45009552
>TV license
Amerifag here, I still have no idea how this works. Is it like you need a license to own a tv? or like you can own a tv but in order to legally watch it you must have a license? What about computer monitors, these daysthey are essentially a TV and come with hdmi.
This still kind of blows my mind, especially since i live on Kauai where there is no broadcast TV signals and have been getting all of my shows online.
>>
>>45010508
A few guys will price things oddly, yes, but unless it's some ludicrously rare item those will merely provide you with the outliers on the price graph, not the norm.
>>
>>45010606
What is google? Is it really that hard to research for yourself?

board games
>>
>>45010606
It's used to fund the BBC, which doesn't have adverts (aside from BBC programmes, of course) or sponsors of any kind. The current government is trying to do away with that, but only because the BBC didn't suck their dicks during the last election.

Anywho, what do you guys think of DVD board games?
>>
>>45010747
quit spoonfeeding faggot

dvd board games are shit
>>
>>45010747
The Klingon Encounter star trek vhs game is hilarious beyond reason.
>>
>>45010606
It's used for any live broadcast on any device anywhere you are whether its watched over the internet or satellite
>>
>>45004691
I'm lucky enough that I haven't had to deal with that since childhood, but it wouldn't last long until I just stopped gaming with cheaters. If they want to win so badly they can go play video games on easy settings.

The exception being Munchkin. The rules do encourage you to cheat, so there's a common assumption that it's going to happen. If you get caught with too many cards, they go to another player, so it's a bit of a risk. Plus it's genuinely easy to forget to take off an item after your race changes or things like that, so it's good to get used to making sure your opponents' setups are legal.
>>
>>45010606
It's a fee to watch live broadcasts.

It's due to England having a law where the General Post Office officially controlled all methods of mass communication except written words controlled by another government agency.

IT came up when the telegraph was invented, and the post office said "Look, they're basically letters being sent through wires, so we should control those." The government said "Yeah, that makes sense.".
Then, the telephone came out. "Yeah, but those are basically letters being read aloud. I mean, there's a sender, and a receiver, like the other two."
"Okay, that makes sense."

Radio comes out. It's originally called "Wireless Telegraph". So the GPO argued "We control Telegraphs, so we should control wireless ones as well." "Sounds right."

TV comes out. "So, there's still a sender and receivers, so the argument we used on Telephones works. And, it's basically just radio with pictures, which we already control." "That all seems in order."

So the Brits gave one agency control of basically all of telecommunications. At which point the agency realized it needed money if it wanted to do that. Especially to actually, you know, MAKE radio and television broadcasts.

So basically, the TV license is a "government issued license to watch and record live television broadcasts", but it's really a tax used to fund the BBC.

It's like how a set amount of your tax dollars pay for PBS and other basic channels, but the system is more direct.

>>45010288
Ah, but you forget the power of initial listers on information-diminished markets.

If I go to sell my copy of Marvel Heroes, I don't instinctively know its sale value, so I'll check the market. Amazon has two copies for sale, one for $130, and one for $175. I have to assume that those prices are at least nominally accurate. Checking Boardgamegeek, they're inflated, with the real value sitting around $105, but I don't know that without more research.
>>
>>45010599
>Got Xenoshyft and it's been the most quick fun we have as a group besides MtG so I love it and might get the second edition coming out

I've got Xenoshyft as well. How often do you / your group survive all 9 waves? We routinely get pummeled somewhere between wave 3 and wave 7. (And yeah, I'm considering the new Death Mire KS too.)
>>
>>45010921
I've actually got that... but I'll never get to play it, so I'm selling it.
>>
>>45012028
If you were in the US, I'd buy it. Maybe. I think my copy is missing pieces, wherever it is.
>>
Anyone played Medieval Academy? Looking for a drafting game I can play with kids and I'm sick of 7 Wonders.
>>
>>45010288
Failing introductory college econ strikes again. In the real world, people don't have perfect information, which you're taught to just assume in econ.
>>
Some games claim to be 1vMany pvp, but in actuality the DM/GM/Overlord has to hold back from wiping out the pc's. Does /tg/ know any games that aren't terrible in this regard? If I've got to pull punches and make experience instead of a game, I'd rather just run an RPG.
>>
>>45015387
Sure as fuck not Descent. I think DOOM is like this though.
>>
>>45011332
Ebay prices, look at sold auctions
>>
>>45015387
Level 7: Omega Protocol is by far the most no-holds-barred of these that I've played.
Don't know if you'd still count Fury of Dracula, that gets pretty brutal as well.
>>
>>45015647

>Doom

You know, I've got that and gears of war, but nobody ever wants to try them

>>45016061

I think if anything, I'll be getting both of those games based on what /tg/ has said. I just wish omega wasn't so stupid expensive. Is it worth the asking price?
>>
anyone know a good music playlist I can play as background music for Eldritch Horror? i suppose it has to be something that will last for hours since the game is suppose to be super long.
Gonna be playing it for the first time tomorrow in our board game meetup.

We usually just play random music for background noise while we play our games but I kinda want to set the mood for this one since the game is very thematic with all that flavor text.
>>
What are your suggestions for 1 player games?

I do not like arctic scavenger's single player.
>>
>>45017565
Nox Arcana - Necronomicon album.
>>
>>45017595

I've heard Mage knight is best with 1

Nueroshima base has 1 player puzzles
Zombicide
Xenoshyft
Descent has full coop rules so you can 1p that
Dungeonquest
DC Deckbuilder

Really any fully coop game can theoretically be played by one person
>>
>>45018016
Deckbuilders are bad enough with the shuffling. I can't imagine playing one and managing multiple hands, decks, and discard piles.
>>
>>45018059

Oh no, it's just your hand. Generally you vs the boss
>>
File: DoomtownReloadedBox.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
DoomtownReloadedBox.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
Pic related any good? Not like I need more games but I like Wild West a lot as a theme.
>>
File: gaems2.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
gaems2.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>Play/buy
No playing recently, but purchased g54 because coup is a mega hit among my group.
>Toss
Probably CAH. Never hit any expansions so it's become very stale. Won't because it was a gift from my gf though.
>Dry spell
It's been months. I have two jobs right now so very little friend time and we/they prefer to go out when we all miraculously have a Friday/Saturday off. Parents aren't big on games but I sort of scratch the itch by playing Magic with my brother on weekends. Several of these games have yet to be played. Also not pictured is BattleCON: Devastation of Indines.
>>
>>45018189
I read that you need multiple copies to have all cards available for 2 players. It looks fun to me but I passed, mostly because I'm trying to avoid games with that much set-up.
>>
>>45017565
I put this together years ago from Amnesia and American McGee's Alice tracks; I'm not sure I ever used it, so see if you like it:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA5EC2B3346FF825B
>>
I asked this in another thread, but is the Xcom board game any good?
>>
>>45017845
>Nox Arcana - Necronomicon album.
thats actually pretty good. might use that. for some reason I was expecting death metal music or some shit.
>>
>>45015387
>>45017417
Fury of Dracula definitely won't have you pulling any punches. You'll be using every ounce of your wits to try to outrun the hunters. The tradeoff: my group has yet to have a game where Dracula won. I came closest, but still got pinned down in Greece at the end. So if you're a sore loser and you keep losing as Dracula, you might not like the game. But I imagine it'll make an eventual Dracula victory all the sweeter. It's mostly just really fun to watch everyone else scratch their heads when you pull off a really clever bit of misdirection, then watch them all explode when they finally figure it out a few turns later.
>>
>>45017417
It's a little expensive for what you get, but it's by a miniatures company, so go figure. That said, I don't regret the purchase.

>>45018189
It's pretty good. Some unintuitive stuff, but good. I like netrunner better, but that's largely due to the asymmetry and liking the theme better - I like my western unfettered by fantasy.

>>45019285
It's not bad, but much of the challenge is derived of time constraints, the individual minigames are relatively simplistic. Still, lots of fun if that won't bother you.
>>
>>45019285

>pretty much requires a digital tool to play the audio
>lots of worker placement and d6 tests
>high difficulty
>requires everyone to not be dumb
>uses the XCOM setting and not a whole lot else.

Personally I found it to be shit, but that's because it felt nothing like XCOM to me, which is tactical combat on the ground, where every troop lost is felt, and you advance by turning the enemies tech against them.
>>
>>45019681
Nox arcana has a theme for just about anything.
>>
>>45018016
Gears of War can easily be played solo, though I'd still find it a lot more fun as a true co-op myself. There's also a set of solo scenarios for Archipelago which I'm itching to try out. And Nations has a decent solo game element as well if that's to Anon's liking.
>>
Anyone got any scans of Gears of War missions? Want to update the vassal module as it only comes with Belly of the Beast.

Also what would you suggest I play with the wife, Dungeon Quest or Dungeon Run?
>>
>>45018189
It's an updated version of one of the best CCGs ever made. The main problem is finding players, since deck construction is a vertical learning curve.
>>
>>45021035

I'll go take some photos when I get home
>>
>>45010579
Personally I prefer Fury of Dracula, Spectre Ops felt too easy for the player hiding from the rest.
>>
>>45010747
gone the way of VHS games, and frankly good riddance.
>>
>>45019954
The first combat had Dracula rifle blasted every time he tried to run-away. Dracula almost died to a hobo with a shot gun.
>>
Anyone have any opinions about Super Dungeon Explore (especially Forgotten King) and Kemet: Ta-Seti?
>>
>>45015217

One of the most common myths out there along with "hurr durr your theory assumes that people are acting rational", supply/demand doesn't require perfect information because the prices are information about scarcity - see price signals.
>>
File: tropicaltycoon.jpg (29KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
tropicaltycoon.jpg
29KB, 346x346px
>>45024169
I suppose it is cheaper to make an app for a game (ONUW, X-Com), or just put out a DVD trivia game. Still, at least it gave us a tolerable version of Monopoly.
>>
>>45024753
>Kemet: Ta-Seti
Dawn phase, new victory, new cards are musts.
Black pyramids and Ta Seti are okay.
>>
>>45017595
I got a few for solo.

Mage Knight I've only played a bit but liked so far.
Lotr the card game. Friday. Others I have that work would be legendary encounters aliens, though I'm keeping that for a group session.
Source hulk death angel I got a few weeks back and seemed to work
>>
>>45026365
Haven't played it yet but for me
Dawn Phase > Black Pyramids > New Cards > New Victory > Ta Seti
>>
>>45024753

>SDE

I really need to replay it again. There was a rule that I need to confirm was in the original rules they got rid of in the updated stuff that really diminished my enjoyment of the game.

Anyways, it's not terrible. It's usually pretty pricy, but you get a lot of stuff in the box. Also good for you getting into the game now that it comes with updated materials. I got into it early on, so I'm stuck with a shit rulebook and imbalanced characters.

Anyways, yeah. If you want to do 1vMany, SDE. If you'd rather do FFA with PVE elements, is suggest Arcadia Quest.

Also, damn I want Von Drakks manor for those sexy ass castlevania esque minis, but that price just feels so steep.
>>
Bumperial Bumplers
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2MB, 1366x1618px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2MB, 1366x1618px
I've heard that Potion Explosion is kind of like Columns: The Board Game. Anybody played that?
>>
File: IMG_20160126_104838331.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_104838331.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey guys, got my Pixel Tactics Deluxe. Want to play?
>>
File: IMG_20160126_104944474.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_104944474.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>45031210
>>
>>45031210
>>45031259

No fuck that shit.
>>
>>45023460
Lovely, thanks mate.
>>
>>45031210
>>45031259
Man, I feel bad for you Anon. That's going to be tough to transport. ;)
>>
>>44975934
I'm still relatively new to the new to the hobby, can anyone explain the deal with Warhammer? I know they have their own general but can anyone explain the appeal? None of it is really rated highly on bgg...is there a reason? They have a whole section dedicated to it at my FLGS so I just want to be in the know.
>>
>>45033467
IMO games workshop shit is too expensive and I've also never felt the desire to start painting miniatures.
>>
>>45033467
MIniatures gaming is more like a cousin to board games, there's websites dedicated to it, BGG isn't really a place the fans congregate.

>>45033557
Never was really into it either, but I do enjoy painting my board game minis. Can be costly, but it's a fun diversion that gives me more hours with any game that has pieces worth painting.
>>
>>45033467
Warhammer is a 'wargame'. It functions on very different levels than board games and as such is not very comparable. Warhammer (both Warhammer: Fantasty and Warhammer: 40,000) have had their share of meh to poor board games like Relic and with fantastic ones like Forbidden Stars, but the wargame that was the origin of the franchise has always been vastly popular in large part due to it being THE quintessential wargame many people think about when miniatures are mentions, and its age. If you are getting into wargames then you practically can't go wrong with Warhammer as it is almost guaranteed that there is someone near you that plays it.

I however do not like the ruleset and prefer other wargames much more than warhammer fantasy or 40k.
>>
>>45033467
Warhammer 40k is the Dungeons and Dragons of wargames. With everything that implies.
>>
>>45033467
Tabletop wargames like warhammer have a whole spectrum of reasons people enjoy them, generally stuff like;
>Investment in the lore of the setting or units.
>Enjoying the activity of designing and painting their models and armies.
>The long-term commitment to your own unique army over potentially many years of play, and the extended competition with friends as they do the same.

And some people genuinely just enjoy the games. They offer, in some ways, attention to detail or simulation that few boardgames are willing to compete with, and that appeals to some people. You don't see them highly rated on bgg because the bgg user base are not largely miniatures gamers, and because those games don't have significant merit in the areas that bgg users tend to rate games on.

For most people, tabletop miniatures games like warhammer are simply too expensive in terms of commitment in both time and money for the enjoyment they're likely to receive though gameplay alone.
>>
What are the best solo vassal games?
>>
>>45031967

If anon doesn't deliver, I'll...oh hell I've got some time before I go back to the grind. Pics here shortly...
>>
>>45034881
I love you.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>45034915

Have to use my phone for now

1/4
>>
>>45034915

2/4

Next two are the same cards flipped
>>
>>45033467
I doubt someone can make you "like" something or see the appeal of something. It's like trying to explain why you like an artist or a painting.

If you like painting miniatures and playing war games in a fantasy or sf setting then warhammer is your deal.

Personally, I never played it but if you want to get into it ask a friend who's into it to let you play or something. From the overview I guess it's kind of like m:tg in some regard - you collect your army choosing a particular style (or race) and then duke it out against other players. Plus you also pimp out the miniatures so that they look cool
>>
>>45035088
Quality is great cheers!
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>45034915

Looks like last one didn't go through.

2/4
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>45035120

3/4
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>45035120

Annnnd this is the last

4/4
>>
File: 14281805684423433.png (73KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
14281805684423433.png
73KB, 900x900px
>>45035184
And you're making this man very happy, thank you so much.
>>
File: image.jpg (164KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164KB, 500x495px
>>45035219
>>
File: 1393964323261.gif (2MB, 520x320px) Image search: [Google]
1393964323261.gif
2MB, 520x320px
>>45035369
>memegenerator
>namefag
>>
>>45035566
These threads...
>>
File: 1333869083630.jpg (38KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1333869083630.jpg
38KB, 400x300px
>>45035369
inb4 trip hating on a samaritan
>>
>>45035566
Gud Jerb Anon! If you're going to be impotent, you might as well look impotent.
<Golf Clap!>
>>
>>45035369
Everyone remeber Talismayne helps people. Remember his name because it's important that he be noticed.
>>
File: pic2359414_t[1].jpg (12KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
pic2359414_t[1].jpg
12KB, 200x150px
>>45036436
>tali me banana...
>>
Can someone explain Archipelago to me? I was looking at reviews, and a fair number of them talked about how politically incorrect it is, one person comparing it to CAH.
Isn't it a resource building game, like Catan or Power Grid? Does it secretly come with a copy of Mein Kampf or something?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (173KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
173KB, 1440x1440px
>>45035804
>>
>>45036952
I think it's because it's white meeples moving in and putting black meeples to work. They also have a gauge with a white piece on a happiness track and a black piece on an unrest track or something. I don't own the game so I might be wrong, but there's also an abridged copy of mein kampf in the back of the game manual.
>>
>>45037475
People are fucking ridiculous and it is embarrassing that I live on this planet with them.
>>
>>45037793

The-quest-for-attention-and-what-people will-do-for-it.midi
>>
File: subversion-in-a-box.jpg (334KB, 1208x1180px) Image search: [Google]
subversion-in-a-box.jpg
334KB, 1208x1180px
>>45037475
Pretty much - it's obvious 'Caucasian Pro-Imperialism Propoganda' trying to keep the indigenous meeples down while exploiting their resources and shit. The personality damage that results from playing Archipelago is obvious in much the same way that playing Monopoly with your children results in them growing up to become George Soros or Koch Brothers. Or how playing American Civil War historical games results in one becoming a gun toting, slave owning, plantation manager. (Neal Young - the Southern man don't need him around anyway...)

Mainly it's a bunch of idiots whining about irrelevant shit. I just got my copy of Archipelago a couple of days ago and I'm highly looking forward to reading the rules and perhaps playing a solo game as I snagged the solo expansion too.

Next up on "SJW - My heart bleeds just for you Anon!" Why playing 'Snakes and Ladders' with you child leads them to increased tendencies of animal abuse and a lifetime of social ladder climbing and ruthless ambition. Pic related already shows serious warning signs of anti-social behavior and mental aberration. Quick! Someone tell Jenny McCarthy
>>
>>45038107
>highly looking forward to reading the rules

COMMUNIST
>>
>>45038169
>COMMUNIST

Oh Hell No! I'm not sharing my resources with any of you, you unwashed Godless heathens. Besides, I prefer the term 'Adventure Capitalist' or 'Gun-boat Diplomat' thank you very much!
>>
>>45038490
You should check out merchants and marauders. I don't have a copy but it's high on my list. I just need to make friends before I can play it.
>>
>>45038535
> wanting to play merchants and marauders.
> not buying off or enslaving other players...
>>
>>45036436
He could've helped people the same without being an attention-seeking faggot.
>>
>>45040098
The only one in here being a faggot is the guy being so severely triggered by seeing someone fill out the name field, he has to point it out to other people.
>>
>>45041059
I bet you're one of those people who always says "Why don't you just ignore him and talk about board games?"
Try doing that.
>>
>>45041166
Why the fuck would you have to ignore any of the name fags in /bgg/? They actually contribute to the thread. Unlike you, bitching about a non issue.
>>
File: 1441836521425.jpg (34KB, 522x464px) Image search: [Google]
1441836521425.jpg
34KB, 522x464px
>>45041239
No, I'm saying to ignore the guy bitching.
>>
>>45041239
Right, that's why we kicked out whatshername
>>
>being this butthurt about either side of the tripfag argument
>all this shitposting for nothing
>>
>>45041374
Ah. My bad.

On topic then, anyone know where I can find the complete image files for Illuminati NWO? Every image set I've come across is barely complete, and I've been meaning to make proxies to play with my group.
>>
>>45041524
>make proxies
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
The Talisman guy is a faggot simply for recommending Talisman unironically.

Terrible fucking game right there.
>>
>>45042133
They're all faggots for unironically using names on an armenian templating collective
>>
>>45041763
The games long dead.
>>
>>45042234
Here we go again.
Thread posts: 266
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.