[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/spg/- Scarred Puma General- Scarred Puma Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: Scarred Puma_IN.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Scarred Puma_IN.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>What is scarred puma?Scarred Puma is a format where the decks consist of 40 scarred pumas and 40 lands. Each player starts with 0 puma points, and every puma they play gives them one. At the end of 15 turns puma points are totaled and a winner is declared.
>>
>>44958344
Why not just roll a die to determine a winner because there's no actual skill involved in the game?
>>
>>44958344
Holy memes, Batman!
>>
>>44958391
Puma points do take alot of strategy to acquire.
>>
File: scarred_puma.jpg (87KB, 581x420px) Image search: [Google]
scarred_puma.jpg
87KB, 581x420px
Here's some fanart!
>>
Is this the new Storm Crow or a forced meme?
>>
>>44958391
The same could be said for every magic format.
>>
>>44958640
>a forced meme
Bingo, motherfucker.
>>
I've considered cutting a puma for another land so I can up my pumas per turn (PPTs for the uninitiated). Thoughts?
>>
>>44959077
That's a good idea. I wish they would unban sol ring so our puma points would ramp quicker..
>>
>>44958344
Could you just not
>>
>>44959298
There are plenty of of modern threads for you to troll in...
>>
File: 20160121_205348.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160121_205348.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I really want the set of 40 foils. What is the best place to buy.
>>
>>44958344

>see thread about weird Magic format
>get excited about a new way to play the game
>it's a bad joke

What's really weird is that this might actually make an interesting format with some slight tweaking. 60 card decks, decks can contain any number of copies of Scarred Puma, the rest as above. There are probably just enough viable strategies to make it worth a few hours of fun. Do you try to tutor out all of your pumas? Run a sac and recursion engine to milk many points out of one puma? Just run all pumas and card draw and cross your fingers that you win the race by blind luck? How much disruption do you try to run?

I'd play it.
>>
>>44959565
Ill add it to my monored cube
>>
>>44959565
Are you the hero scarred puma needs?
>>
>>44959695

Probably not, no. But I'd play it.
>>
>>44958344
>forcing this hard.

There isn't a reaction image that can contain all the pity I feel for you anon.
>>
File: 26.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>44959565

This could actually work as a neat little alternative format, but it might be a bit too non-interactive since PP can't be removed and counters are the only way to stop them from happening.
>>
>>44959962
Chalice on two, motherfucker.
>>
>>44959991
Er, on one.

Chalice on one, find a way to put them into play without casting them. Rise of the dark realms?
>>
>>44960046

Ather Vial would easily do the trick.

You could play a weird monobrown cat stax.
>>
>>44959962

It doesn't solve the interactivity problem but I was thinking the points would actually be puma counters that players gain, that way it also works with proliferate and similar effects. If WotC would print some way to take counters away from players we might actually have some interesting tools to work with.
>>
>>44960131
They're PCs, right (puma counters)? Well, PC also stands for poison counters. Leeches removes poison counters. Therefore, Leeches removes puma counters.

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS
>>
>>44958344
No. However, if you wanted to play with actual scarred Pumas, then here's a try. All players cannot lose for any reason that isn't damage caused directly from a Scarred Puma. No life point loss is assigned for combat damage that isn't from a Scarred Puma.

60 card deck, Legacy, Each Player may have 10 copies of Scarred Puma in his or her deck.
>>
>>44960116
Yesssssss

I suppose it's worth asking if it's better to award points on etb or on puma in play at end of game. On cast gives us the least options for interaction, so definitely not that. In play lets removal be relevant but also makes board wipes way strong. Not even wraths, just pyroclasm.

Also maybe worth considering - do games still end at zero life? Could trying to aggro/burn out your opponent while you have the puma lead be a thing?
>>
>>44960302
How can you do that if your deck can only contain mountains and scarred pumas?
>>
>>44960749

This is referring to >>44959565 's format.
>>
File: 197[1].jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
197[1].jpg
75KB, 312x445px
I've solved your silly forced meme format.
>>
>>44960802
DidnĀ“t ya hear the news from the mothership....slaughter games is banned in this format
>>
>>44960802
Banned
>>
Post secret tech
>>
>>44958344
Do you think they'll ever reveal how he lost his first eye?
>>
>>44958344
OP: the faggot who was also cancer
>>
File: 111.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>44960227
You got this. So, you can sacrifice three of your puma points, or play two colors (pic related) to remove some amount of your opponent's PPs. All of them? It'd turn into nuclear chess - whoever launches the leeches first, if opp can also throw four of. Or opp loses PPs equal to amount of Pumas controlled at the time, times two or three. So you'd have to keep an amount of your pumas at check. But then, it serves no purpose keeping pumas on board. So maybe it'd be possible to focus pumaness of three pumas by tapping them to add an additional puma point. It'd encourage taking risk of gathering large amount of pumas at one given time, thus making leech strategy of stripping PP from player.
BUT THEN
What does the leeches do? They suck poison or pumaness, but it doesn't dissapear. So maybe some part of puma point would be sucked and transfered to a player? That requires lots of playtesting. As whole format. But could be fun. There is a problem with allowing cards other thel Leeches and Pumas though, but that's a whole other level of pumancy.
>>
Should I start collecting pumas? Are they gonna spike?
>>
Rolled 3 (1d8)

>>44962558
This would all be a lot more interesting if the winner was decided based on who controlled more SPs at the end of a variable turncount. Say, 1d6+4 turns, rolled before mulls.
>>
File: 20160109_173601.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_173601.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
What's yalls highest puma points score?
>>
File: 1451594877539.jpg (55KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
1451594877539.jpg
55KB, 500x412px
>>44962660
900% of price overnight. New god is being born.
>>44962661
I'm afraid you are right. Or, taking this idea further, making some kind of turn tracker. Like this:
Before game, take 5 Pumas and 1 Leech from outside the game, shuffle them together, keeping from view of any player.
Take 4 Pumas from outside the game and put them on top of Pumas and Leeches. You have 10 card turn tracker.
At the end of each turn, reveal card from the turn tracker. It it's Puma, the game goes on. If it's Leech, the game ends, and puma points are calculated.
in that case, leeches mechanic could work in the other way: You give the opponent one of your pumas permamently in exchange for up to three of their pumas just until the beggining of the next turn. It's still a roulette, but a little more exiting one
>>
>>44963231
>60 card decks
>any number of Scarred pumas
>all slaughter games type effects are banned
>game ends when turn counter reaches 0 or if any player would otherwise lose the game
>when game ends whoever has more pumas is the winner
This might not actually be that shit a format
>>
>forcing your random-ass meme this hard
The fuck is this, /v/?
>>
Rolled 2 (1d8)

>>44963795
I'd take objection to "or if any player would otherwise lose the game" because that means you can suicide when you've got a puma lead and win.

Meddling Mage and other such effects like CotV would have to go too.
>>
>>44963839
Suicide how? Concession? Would probably need a clause to stop that. Otherwise though, I don't really see a problem with decks whose wincon is some sort of suicide button. How many of those would really be relevant anyways?
>>
>>44963231
Fuck yeah
>>
Rolled 6 (1d8)

>>44963903
Concession instantly terminates the game and overrides normal loss procedures. You can concede with a platinum angel in play, for example.
What I'm worried about is dumping all your life as part of a cost, because that means if you ever get a puma lead you can win on the spot.
>>
File: pumas.jpg (18KB, 426x124px) Image search: [Google]
pumas.jpg
18KB, 426x124px
>>44963231
I've conducted some playtesting and ther results are:
even 40 cards is a little too much with no cards other than Pumas and Leeches. Would cut down on size.
Cost of playing Leeches is to give your puma to an opponent, then grabbing three of theirs. At the beggining of next turn, those three pumas flee - one to the top of your, one to the top of opp's library and one to the graveyard.
Turn tracker stays the same.
Now it's a three minutes roulette game, with easy high risk high gain tech in form of Leeches.
>>44963795
You presented a diffrent idea at the point, but it seems cool too. Playtest it yourself tho, I've had pu much of this.
>>44963839
is kinda right too, there is too much of "pay x life" effects. If you start, you can put a puma, pass, go puma, than dark rit into necropotence, kill yourself and win. Not worth.
"players can't pay life" and "prevent all damage and life loss from sources other than Scarred Puma" on the other hand...
>>
>>44962975
Bout nine puma points turn 5.
>>
Will there be a pro puma tour?
>>
File: 7224.jpg (115KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
7224.jpg
115KB, 435x435px
>>44958344
>le random meme xDD
>>
>>44965542
Serious pUma discussion only please
>>
>>44963839
Fuck no, Mage and Chalice should stay. Just play removal. Unless you're cheating all your Pumas into play ala pumastax upthread, you're playing red, so packing artifact removal and some burn is trivial.
>>
>>44967065
nevermore
>>
>>44958344
>Legacy banlist + slaughter games effects banned
>All damage/life loss caused by game objects not named "Scarred Puma" is prevented
>Otherwise, it's normal magic
Thoughts?
>>
>>44967646
Oh, forgot
>Players may have any number of cards named Scarred Puma
>>
>>44967646
Everlasting Torment says hi.
>>
>>44967808
Point.

What if we use a pauper banlist instead? That would eliminate a lot of the stuff that straight ruins Scarred Puma decks, make decks a hell of a lot cheaper to buy, and probably cleave a lot closer to the "spirit of the format" since there's no way this thing would work any way other than casually.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d8)

>>44967870
Eh, in my opinion the best way to handle this would be to have nearly no banlist aside from what actually breaks the format ("Exile all pumas from your library, bitch!") or is just too OP (moxen).
We can prevent other wincons by just adding
"No other rule or effect may cause a player to win or lose a game of Scarred Puma" after the bit about the format wincon.
>>
>>44967942

Thrumming Stone also needs to go.
>>
>>44968241
>>44967942
There's a *ton* of cards out there that get crazy strong if your entire format is built around one card. To my knowledge, none of these are printed at common.

My personal bias might be coming into play here, but if this turns out to be playable I'd actually like to put together some decks to play at the kitchen table. For those reasons, I'm in favor of the pauper idea.
>>
>>44968309

>if your entire format is built around one card

I know most of the discussion has been trying to make a format out of OP's forced meme, but we don't have to be married to just using Scarred Puma.

I think you could open things up in a good way if you instead changed the rules to either only allow CMC 1 creatures to deal damage, or even only allow creatures in your deck if they cost CMC 1.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpe.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpe.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>44968423
>>
>>44968423
There's something that just seems so fun about swinging at another player with an army of shit commons
>>
>>44958640
Storm Crow is a forced meme already
>>
>>44968466

Yeah, I thought of Delver almost immediately after hitting submit.

Still, besides him and Deathrite most should be fine.

>>44968485

I agree, but limiting this format to the puma means it'll be really hard to actually play with in kitchen table Magic.
>>
>>44968525
>Scarred pumas are 10c each
>Buy 100 for $10, playgroup is now ready to play Scarred Puma: The Format
>>
>>44968567

>several guys buy bulk Scarred Pumas for their playgroup
>scalpers start bulk buying them to horde
>retailers start jacking the price
>laughingstarcitygames.gif
>>
>>44968651
You might just be right. Fug.

Better place all my orders now then
>>
Okay which one of you faggots just bought out all the 10c Scarred Pumas on TCGPlayer?
>>
Should I buy now?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.