[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted General /exg/ Looking Forwards Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 33

File: 1449299961502.jpg (158KB, 490x768px) Image search: [Google]
1449299961502.jpg
158KB, 490x768px
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

I'm running a West campaign and am hereby shamelessly soliciting you for plot hooks. Go! (Please avoid established locations.)
>>
>>44948202
>I'm running a West campaign and am hereby shamelessly soliciting you for plot hooks. Go! (Please avoid established locations.)
Giant turtle with ruins on its back surfaces

Lintha doing Lintha stuff

Explorers have pierced a strange fog bank and returned with tales of an island full of riches and exotic animals, but something strange is watching from the shadows.

Friendly tribe of natives (with dark secret!)

something something volcano god

a realm treasure ship has sunk under mysterious circumstances, and the wreck is nowhere to be found

Strange ships crewed by the dead are attacking, ghost corsairs have basis in hidden shadowland
>>
ded game
>>
>>44948202
Isn't that the ritualist from the first Guild Wars?
That game was so good.
>>
>>44948202
Fair Folk Mermaids

Hurricane uncovers previously buried First Age architecture.

Local Volcano god has stopped asking for sacrificial virgins, and his worshipers are worried about him.
>>
>>44948202

I always find the bottom of the sea pretty cool. Make one place the PC's need to go to an undersea manse on the ocean floor.

Let the PC's figure out how to get there.
>>
>>44948707
>Explorers have pierced a strange fog bank and returned with tales of an island full of riches and exotic animals, but something strange is watching from the shadows.
What is this, a Ravenloft campaign?
>>
>>44952947
Yeah, the bottom is a cool place, also the overall concept of "everything is in three dimensions" is also a interesting thing which isn't all that much done in rpgs in general.
>>
>>44950854
Yep, that's a Ritualist.

I miss Guild Wars.
>>
>>44949566
The delay and the attitude of the devs killed it.

WoD games get leaked all the time, their guys don't flip out and brand their fanbase as scum
>>
>>44955893

The leak actually made me get into the game again.

If it wasn't for it, I've moved onto fantasycraft.
>>
>>44953001
Eh?

There's, like, an entire genre of RPGs that do gaming in three dimensions. Space opera.
>>
Has anyone tried making Bloodborne style trick weapons in Exalted? How did it go?
>>
>>44957558

Yes, actually, though I haven't had a chance to play them. The leak had a weapon called a Hidden Dagger Axe that could change between a polearm, quarterstaff, or a walking stick. I tried taking this example and creating a greataxe that could change into a spear and shield. All you really need in order to pull off Bloodborne type combos is to be able to change forms reflexively.
>>
>>44948202
Tap into that PotC "pirates are just freedom loving rebels" theme and have the PCs caught between The Silver Prince and House... Whichever... expanding into the West.

What the PCs do in response will differ depending on their power level. You didn't mention if they were Solars, but if they are then expect them to conquer the West with their own fleet. The Realm and the Deathlords can have all the armies they want, but naval superiority is king.
>>
I don't have a concept, magical material or even really a theme yet, but bear with me. I have this mental image of my character using a spear - throwing it at the start of battle, or leaping and thrusting at her enemies - and the spear being buried in the opponent for... some kind of effect. Honestly, I think I just like the visual of the character not wasting any effort reclaiming the weapon.

The problem with this, is that I don't think you CAN bury your weapon in an opponent. It seems like something you could only do as a stunt when killing someone with a decisive. I don't know how evocations based on this could work.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>44958060
Make it an evocation usable when you launch a decisive thrown attack with the spear for [effect], seems pretty simple.
>>
>John Morke @hatewheel 15h15 hours ago
>Finished writing first draft of the EX3 "backer Charm" supplement on the 18th. Now it's in QA. @TheOnyxPath #EX3 #Exaltedthird #SolarExalted
>>
>>44958225
Should be through QC some time in August if we're lucky.
>>
>>44958343
I remember the days I would have assumed you were trolling. Such innocent times.
>>
>>44958060

I think there's this Archery charm - Inviolable Arrow - in 3E that allows you to do that with an arrow. I don't believe that it does anything, however.
>>
>>44958343
>implying it'll be this year
>>
>>44958060

It's not like having just a spear lodged in them would automatically incapacitate an exalted (or even necessarily stop them from fighting).

You could make it a special attack evocation or a reflexive evocation that can be triggered when you successfully deal damage past certain HLs with a decisive(and/or if they're crashed).

Since you'll be temporarily losing an attuned artifact(until you decide to stunt wielding it WITH the poor impaled guy to attack other people), it should inflict some nice penalties and/or grant you bonuses against the poor dude. Like lowering his defense against only you and giving penalties on attempts to escape/withdraw from you.
>>
>>44959715
This Anon has the truth of it.
>>
>>44959715
Hey, I couched it with us being lucky.

Pragmatically, the game won't reach the public until 2018 probably. Just in time to be completely ignored as the entire hobby has moved on.
>>
Requesting pictures of undead Egyptian-style priests and sorcerers.
>>
How important is winning Join Battle in 2.5?
>>
>>44962645
Not really.
>>
>>44962645

Not very much. At most it amounts to an extra attack or two they get on you before you both fall into the rhythm of smashing your (nearly-)indestructible GI Joes against each other until one of them cracks.
>>
>>44962645
It's important if nobody has Perfects, but everyone has Perfects, so it doesn't matter.

Basically, if you have a low speed weapon(Speed 3 is the lowest it goes, iirc), and you win join battle by 3 or more successes, you're going to get 2 full turns before anybody can act against you.(Granted, if you beat someone by exactly 3 sux, they'll act against you the same tick you take your second turn)

You should really switch to 3e though, 2.5 is trash.
>>
>>44957382
Yeah but thats mostly spaceship stuff, rarely just single people out in space.
>>
Can you use Wood Dragon's Claw with, say, White Reaper Style, or is it just a tiger claws analogue?
>>
Can Evocations be freely combined with native charms and MA charms?
>>
>>44964934
The compatibility relies on the martial art using claw(-like) weapons, so White Reaper (which cares about polearms), Single Point (HONORABRU SWORD ONRY), etc. are all out.

>>44965080
Yes.
>>
>>44948202
>What is exalted?
So I read that part, and I'm interested. What can you guys tell me about the game? What does one do as an Exalted?
>>
>>44965570
One day fate decided you deserved the powers of a demigod. You have no idea how, why or what the hell you're supposed to do next. Also the world's only superpower wants you dead because you're a potential threat to their hegemony.

Best of luck buddy...
>>
>>44965570
>What does one do as an Exalted?
You are a hero, returned to a dying world. You go out and try to fix this broken world. You can do that in different ways. You can go build up a kingdom or empire, bringing stability and civilisation. You can lead a rebellion against the Realm, the superpower at the centre of the world. You can foil the plots of the undead Deathlords, the fae courts or the yozi princes. Or you can forge an alliance between age-long rival empires. You can build giant tower of ivory and jade, channeling the power of heaven to perform a sorcerous miracle that will alter the universe.

Ultimately, the game is fairly sandboxy. You can go and kill the BBEG and foil his plot while being a bunch of murderhobos. Or you can do empire building. You can also try being a courtier and diplomat, since the social system is fairly detailed.

And that's mostly just Solars, the default player splat. The other splats have more specific gameplay, while Solars are supposed to be able to do anything.
>>
>>44965570
More or less, the world is unraveling and beset by malevolent forces hell-bent on its destruction.

Stopping them is kind of a given.
>>
>>44965802

The thing I really like about Exalted is that you're playing a high-tier hero from the start. Not just high-tier, the HIGHEST tier.

Like, in every game, PCs are already exceptional people. Might as well be completely honest about it, and go "Yes, your PCs will change the world and shake the thrones of heaven."
>>
>>44965570
Depends on what type of Exalted

Solars are epic heroes that can be the best at whatever they chose to focus on, unfortunately most of the world thinks they are evil demons who will ruin everything.

Lunars are all about adapting to any situation and surviving the unsurvivable, They are also the second most powerful beings after the Solars, Ditto for "everyone thinks you are a demon"

Sidereals are kung-fu ninjas that have desk jobs in heaven. They broke reality once to create an alibi and now even people who meet them can't prove they exist. Also they can punch people so hard they turn into ducks.

The Dragonblooded used to be the foot soldiers serving under Solar/Lunar generals in the old days. Then they killed their bosses and took their stuff. They run the world mostly, and while there are only a few hundred of each Celestial Exalt, there are several thousand of these guys. They are really good at teamwork

Those are the main types, then you have Abbysals, Infernals, Alchemicals, and as of this edition Exigents, Liminals and Gematians to add to the pile
>>
>tfw players go somewhere completely different than you thought and your preparations become useless.
>>
>>44958060
Gambit that shit. Diff 3, remaining sux as special wound penalty. Don't use it on exalts, they'll just fucking ignore it.
>>
>>44973984
That's why my party always travels by rickshaw. It works in any terrain, just change the species of the driver as appropriate.
>>
>>44974335
Pretty sure he means plot plans

>>44973984
They aren't useless. Change them to fit the new locale, as necessary, and use them anyways
>>
How do poisoned needles work? My group and I are puzzling over what possible use the needles have, when you can just as easily throw a knife at someone and kill them faster.

Do Subtle attacks not trigger a Join Battle? But then that wouldn't make sense because JB is rolled as soon as the Ambush would be declared.
>>
>>44975202
The person being attacked doesn't realise they've been hit, I assume. So if you can join battle and launch the ambush with them, you can manage to poison someone at a party for example without anyone noticing.
>>
>>44975202
>>44975260

Well, you ignore damage it should deal due to the subtle tag, and you can only poison people with a decisive attack. I imagine that it ignores hardness in that case.
>>
>>44975469
I don't think it ignores hardness. You just don't actually roll your damage dice, but you still calculate them
>>
>>44957558
Sure, it's not Bloodborne, and it's a direct ripoff, buuut.

Midnight Rose(Artifact •••••)
-Grimscythe/Sniper Rifle
-1 Heartstone Socket
When wielding Midnight Rose in Melee, the attuned may reflexively spend 1 round of ammo when attacking to gain either +3 Raw Damage on a Withering Attack, or +1 Raw Damage on a Decisive Attack. In addition, one well versed in scythes may note a number of weight bearings and points of lightness that allow significantly more speed and defensive applications. If the attuned has a Melee Specialty in Scythes, the weapon can be considered a Medium Artifact Weapon instead of Heavy. Changing which one it is set to is reflexive, but can only be done once per round, on their tick.
>>
>>44977449

Ammo if vague as hell in 3e, so I'm not sure that'd work here.
>>
>>44980085
It works fine, given I fussed up some tags to work with shootbangs.

•Automatic: Weapons with this tag may fire in bursts, hurling a storm of lead down-range. An automatic attack costs one point of Defense until the attacker’s next turn, as well as one point of Initiative and 3 ammo, but raises a withering attack’s raw damage by 3, or allows a decisive attack to treat Hardness as two points lower than its true value. When used against a battle group, this attack requires 10 ammo.
•CQC: Mundane firearm weapons have an Accuracy of +0 at Close range (rather than -2), while artifact firearm weapons have a Close Accuracy modifier of +1.
•Energy: This weapon shoots a focused blast of energy that is rather limited in range. Charms that increase weapon range cannot increase the range of any weapon with the energy tag unless the Charm specifically says it can; also, no Charm can increase the range of weapons with the energy tag to more than long. Weapons with this tag may freely fire either Bashing or Lethal Decisive attacks, chosen at the moment of each attack. As well, Lethal attacks may ignite flammable objects.
•Firearm: This weapon can be used to make ranged attacks using the Archery/Firearms ability. All Firearm weapons also have their maximum range listed in parenthesis, along with their ammuntion counts after the slash, such as Firearms (Medium/10+1). A +1 indicates that a round may be kept in the chamber, in addition to the rounds in the magazine. Reloading is an Action that may be flurried. As well, firearm weapons do not add Strength to the wielder’s damage roll. Instead, add +4 to the to the weapon’s damage to calculate the raw damage of withering attacks with a weapon that has the firearm tag.

And the stats for the rifle are:
Catagory: Heavy, Damage: +18, Overwehelming: 5, Tags: Lethal, Firearms(Long/10+1)
>>
>>44980450

I'm not sure you understand. 3e doesn't necessarily have you track individual bullets at all; sometimes you just make an Ammo roll every now and then to see if you ran out for real or not.

And most STs are gonna go with that, on account of "are you seriously asking me to track bullets as a balancing factor" being some bullshit in a heroic fantasy game.
>>
>>44980751
Tracking actual ammunition counts is explicitly given as an option.
>>
>>44981137

It is. That's why I said "doesn't necessarily" and "sometimes."

I can count on one hand all the DMs I've had who cared about tracking ammo even in the heroic games where "count every bullet" was the only explicit option; let alone the number in a game that gives them an alternative.

If you're just designing rules for your table then go for it, but rules where tracking individual ammo is a balancing factor on regular-ass guns aren't going to propagate far.
>>
>>44981242
And literally every single table I've ever been at tracked them. So.

~Anecdotes~

Good for you if you don't care. The rules are there for people who want to use/and or enjoy that sort of thing.
>>
>>44948707

At a certain time of year, a massive underwater manse will fill with air, allowing those who can't otherwise breathe underwater to explore it.

However, parts of the manse are damaged and still flooded. Some of these areas are just filled with water, but some are also toxic, electrified, or are actually terrariums filled with ancient and dangerous solar-crafted life.

The PCs have a limited amount of time to get in and out.

Also, any further damage to the manse itself may cause the systems to completely fail and bring the ocean down on your heads.

It may be possible to fix the manse, and keep the ocean out permanently.
>>
>>44981676

Or just breathe underwater
>>
Is Ascendant Battle Visage not a giant pain in the arse? A charm that completely kills your anima banner messes with about a dozen charms, including its fucking prerequisite.

It actually breaks the first Dawn anima effect. That's 15m, 3a, 1wp to make yourself arguably worse at actually fighting in exchange for utility. What the hell?
>>
>>44983985
anima banner is a resource to be spent in e3.
>>
>>44983985
Anyone? Am I missing something here?
>>
>>44985097
Not when you have ABV. It doesn't just spend it, it locks it down.
>>
>>44985122
That means you always have two anima levels to spend.
>>
>>44985597
Wait, spending anima levels lowers your anima?
I've been thinking, this whole time, that activating charms with an anima cost put your anima UP by the cost(eg going up to iconic for the 3a in ABV, assuming you're at dim)

(Not the guy bitching about ABV btw)
>>
>>44985728

Yep. It goes Dim (0), Glowing (1), Burning (2), and Bonfire (3). So you can only have up to 3a to spend. It's a good way to suddenly go to the dim level other than waiting for 30-60 minutes.
>>
>>44985728
>Wait, spending anima levels lowers your anima?
That is kind of the meaning of spending something.
>>
>>44985597
Even if it does (which I'm not sure about, since you can't go to dim), you still can't use the Dawn's first anima ability which is important at high essence.
>>
>>44986586
It's a fair trade-off for the incredible powers of ABV
>>
>>44986660
>the incredible powers of ABV
???
>>
>>44986696
clashing all attacks against you, complete immunity to crashes by ranged weapons, basically breaking the entire movement system, etc...
>>
>>44986733
Don't forget you're paying 15m and 1wp for that. The cost is a fair trade, giving up what is arguably the most powerful Dawn ability (at Essence 3+) tips it over somewhat.
>>
>>44987984
How often do you actually expect to reset? In practise you probably end up paying something like 4 to 6 init for it.
>>
>>44987984
>>44988085

And remember, this is a Brawl build; if you've got ASB up you've probably got the Charms to beat someone to death with base init whether it's 3 or 5.
>>
What's the best, most unexpected form for the Crane I can have my players find?
>>
Do auto-successes count for penetrating a target's hardness?
>>
>>44990313
Why wouldn't they?
>>
>>44990313
>>44990354

Actually they don't. Hardness only cares about the dice.
>Step Two: If attack is successful, roll your current Initiative value as a dice pool. The Double 10s rule (p. 183) does not apply to this roll. If your target has Hardness (p. 195) equal to or greater than your damage pool in this step, you inflict no damage but your attack is still considered a success;

By a strict reading, any decisive damage booster that doesn't directly increase your initiative (or count as initiative) isn't considered for Hardness.

Which actually cuts the hamstrings on a lot of the more degenerate "can still kill you even at base init" builds, so I'm inclined to go with that.
>>
>>44990430
>By a strict reading, any decisive damage booster that doesn't directly increase your initiative (or count as initiative) isn't considered for Hardness.
That is incredibly stupid, but probably intended.

This fucking game.
>>
>>44990430
You roll your dice pool, but auto-sux are added to rolled sux to form your damage pool, which needs to exceed Hardness.

Similar, but different terms for two different things.
>>
>>44990492
I'm not sure I understood you correctly. Are you saying you roll, then compare your successes to Hardness? Because that's wrong.
>>
>>44990492
>but auto-sux are added to rolled sux to form your damage pool,

Uh, no.

The damage pool is absolutely dice. Damage SUCCESSES, which would include autosuccesses, don't matter until the next step:
>Step Three: Count up the successes on the Initiative roll. Apply that many levels of damage to the target’s Health Track. This damage will be bashing or lethal, as determined by the weapon used (see p. 195).

>>44990457
I didn't say it was intended, just that with a hyper-strict reading of the words, you could get there. All I know for sure is that successes (automatic or otherwise) don't help you against Hardness, and that I personally am leaning towards only letting init itself break through Hardness, whether intended or not.
>>
>>44988463
Unless you're fighting some jerk with dodge charms, in which case you whiff on the first attack and are crashed.
>>
What're some good post-roll charms that you don't need to waste motes on unless you know you need it?
>>
>>44991486

Dodge has a fair chunk of those, mostly in its init-reaping tree, and also its tiebreaker Charm.

I think Melee and Brawl also have some?

Honestly they're kind of sprinkled all over; but they don't compete with the pre-roll Charms for raw power, obvious reasons.
>>
>>44990313
>>44990354
Ended up taking this guy's word for it and letting the Dawn kill an Earth-aspect sorceress. He promptly got rekt by her Fire-aspect general standing not 10 feet away, and died.

Which was all it took for his 2 circlemates to go berserk and fuck him up.(The non-combat Night even got a *really* good hit in that almost killed him, setting the Zenith up for the final blow)
>>
>>44992293
Mind posting stats for the DBs? I could always use more antagonist stats.
>>
Has anyone made a streamlined charm set or a solution to the boring dice tricks among, and as prereqs for, the more interesting charms?
>>
>>44993638
Someone's working on it on the Onyx Path forums, though they're also making a bunch of changes. Looks alright.
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/804702-how-i-wish-charms-were-written
>>
>>44992563
I didn't have charms for them, but here's a rough presentation of their dot spreads
>Fire-Aspect Warlord
Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3
Charisma 2, Manipulation 3, Appearance 3
Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 2
Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Bureaucracy 3, Integrity 3, Investigation 3, Melee 5, Occult 3, Presence 5, Socialize 3, War 5
Specialties: Melee(Swords), Presence(Intimidation), War(Large Armies)
Willpower 6, Essence 3
Had a 5-dot red-jade daiklave and 4-dot red jade articulated plate
>Earth-Aspect Sorceress
Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
Charisma 1, Manipulation 2, Appearance 3
Perception 2, Intelligence 5, Wits 3
Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Brawl 3, Dodge 3, Integrity 3, Investigation 3, Linguistics 1, Lore 3, Occult 5, Resistance 3
Specialties: Brawl(Punching), Occult(Elementals), Lore(The East)
Willpower 7, Essence 2
Had 3-dot orichalcum discreet essence armor
>Air-Aspect Swordsman/Martial Artist
Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Stamina 2
Charisma 2, Manipulation 3, Appearance 3
Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 2
Athletics 3, Awareness 5, Integrity 3, Investigation 3, Larceny 5, Linguistics 3, Lore 1, Melee 5, Performance 3, Resistance 3, Martial Arts(Single Point) 5
Specialties: Melee(Swords), Larceny(Theft), Awareness(Reaction)
Willpower 5, Essence 2
Had 4-dot blue jade reaper daiklave
>>
>>44993692
I'm surprised more of the OPP lickspittles aren't shitting on that thread.
>>
What kind of collection of crafting projects would you clever anons say that building a capital city for a Scavenger Lands country would be? The old capital was ransacked and I'm planning on building a Better and Improved city to replace it.

I'm thinking it would be something along the lines of a superior project to build the infrastructure and general houses along with a major project for each single civic facility. Currently I only have Craftsman Needs No Tool and Thousand-Forge Handswith plans of maybe getting Shattering Grasp to scavenge the old capital for general materials.

Gonna be building some aqueducts later on for improved water sanitations and such and then doing some Sorcerous Workings to improve things further. Also starting some hardcore schooling projects to uplift the people.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>44994738
Around 30 000 people lived in the old capital, if thats important.
>>
>>44993715
>I didn't have charms for them

But they managed to kill your Dawn? How'd that work out?
>>
>>44993692
>a bunch of changes
It's functionally a complete rewrite of the entire charmset. It's not focused on simplification so much as arbitrarily changing things to fit the authors whims. Some things are far stronger, while others are far weaker.

Also, the author doesn't like non-charm dice, so expect more dice-tricks.
>>
>>44994885
It was entirely the Fire-Aspect warlord attacking him twice in one turn using charms from the Antagonists chapter.
Specifically Ringing Anvil Onslaught, Perfect Blazing Blow, Thousand-Ton Hammer Smash, and Essence-Igniting Strike.

Attacked him with a full excellency using PBB, then activated RAO and payed the WP cost because he'd already been crashed to do a Decisive attack against him using TTHS and EIS
>>
>>44993692
Thanks, reading it now.
Anyone else got some links?
I'd love a rewritten, merged or erased charm list, there's so much bloat and speedbumps.
>>
>>44996645
He couldn't lose an arm or something to survive?
>>
>>44998752
He was already a one-armed blind guy. Losing the other arm would have made him useless, as would losing a leg.
>>
>>44998963
>Losing the other arm would have made him useless

You underestimate the Chosen.
>>
File: asura-no-arms.jpg (31KB, 500x238px) Image search: [Google]
asura-no-arms.jpg
31KB, 500x238px
>>44998963
I disagree?
>>
>>44999314
isn't this the kind of shit the third edition was supposed to be getting clear of?
>>
>>44999325
The part where Solars are immune to DBs? Yes it did.

Why this guy got taken out by a DB in two hits remains to be seen (shit build, out of motes, injured, etc).
>>
>>44999325
If it is, then I have no desire to play.Storyteller isn't a super fun system to run, and playing it is just OK, so maybe the setting would be interesting, but no more so than any other well fleshed out setting. So, If I can't play as a god-like being, what's the point.
>>
File: b0CZ5yl.png (2KB, 100x155px) Image search: [Google]
b0CZ5yl.png
2KB, 100x155px
>>44998963
>Blind one-armed
Christ, what was he fighting before then?

Also
>Not letting him survive with no arms so he dropkicks and headbutts everything.
>>
>>44999419
You still play a god-like being, it's just "god-like being" doesn't mean "I could wipe out half of Creation with a particularly gnarly fart" anymore.
>>
>>44999408
He was an out of motes E1 Solar who pissed off an E3 Fire DB enough to use a very powerful and expensive charm combination against him.
>>44999037
>>44999314
The player's entire concept for him was being an Iaijutsu master; without that, he didn't want the character.
>>44999484
I offered to let him not be dead, just alive and beaten the fuck up, but he didn't want it. He started out blind and one-armed, by his own choice, because he wanted the Flaws for sxp/as a result of a guy he had a Defining tie of hatred towards that he fought before he Exalted. DESU his exaltation story fit a Lunar a bit better, imo, but we don't have rules for them yet/I wanted an all-Solar game, so w/e.
>>
>>44999676
Well, if the player got his fulfillment out of it, that's all that matters.
>>
>>44999676
>He started out blind and one-armed, by his own choice, because he wanted the Flaws for sxp/as a result of a guy he had a Defining tie of hatred towards that he fought before he Exalted.
Oh, so he's Raiden?
>>
>>44999767
Basically, except he didn't have a robo-arm or eyes. Just Awareness charms.
>>44999722
Main downside to it is that I only had 3 players, and since he dropped out, the game is basically dead in the water, now.
Probably gonna be switching to Demon: The Descent, which I've been wanting to run for over a year, though, so w/e
>>
>>44999816
>Player dies in a situation he probably shouldn't have died in
>Refuses ST's attempts to save him
>Drops the game
>Game dies
Yeesh, sounds rough. From what you said, he sounds like a bit of a That Guy.
>>
I've been thinking about making a quick and dirty port to d20. Has this been done with any other Storyteller systems? An example would be helpful.

For example, in Exalted 5 dots is peak human attribute. d20 is 18. 18/5=3.6 so let's say each dot of attribute is equal to 4 points. And so on.

Is this a good idea or is it entirely too much work?

Also, what sort of challenge might a fresh solaroid exalt find in a D&D style world? Would they be the leader of an adventuring party or would they be a world-straddling colossus?
>>
File: 1443573876678.gif (3MB, 396x335px) Image search: [Google]
1443573876678.gif
3MB, 396x335px
>>45000296
>d20
WHY?

Even 2.5e is better.
>>
>>45000518
Just for ease of crossover. I want to play an Exalt in Toril.

Maybe the other way around, then?
>>
>>45000211
100% primadonna.

You're 100% better off without him.

If you've only got 2 players, try something designed for that like Gumshoe.
>>
>>45000296
>Has this been done with any other Storyteller systems? An example would be helpful.
There's a d20 World of Darkness, if you really want to be this stupid.
>>
>>45000531
Oh, a crossover? I don't know what to recommend then. Maybe 5 dots = 20 ability score?
>>
>>45000296
Someone made a port for the Cortex system, which is a much better fit for the anime/wushu shenanigans.
>>
>>45000564

I ran a two player Exalted game. One of the best ones I've ever done.

Really helps that the game is classless
>>
>>45000564
>>45000211
I think it's more that he just isn't a fan of the system/setting, and couldn't think of any other characters he wanted to play that would actually be fun to him.
>>
If I have nothing else suited to my character to spend merits on, are artifacts really worth the cost without evocations?
>>
>>45004682

Not really, no.

The statbump + attunement bonus is (probably) worth the 5+ motes committed, but not the 3 dots spent on top.

If you're really against Evocations as an option, maybe pick up a utility artifact instead, or expand the concept to find something else to spend the merits on.
>>
>>45002200
>I ran a two player Exalted game. One of the best ones I've ever done.

I'm firmly of the opinion that three or fewer players is the best. A full Circle has a sort of "Justice League" feeling where everyone's sort of together and doing stuff but there's no real reason for them to be doing that instead of chasing their own personal priorities. Fewer players also means the ST has less to deal with in terms of remembering what characters can do and how to challenge them; it also speeds up play, which at least in previous editions of Exalted was a huge deal.

My next 3e game will not be more than 3 people if I can help it (though it will probably end up at 4).
>>
Roughly how many solars were there in circulation during the empress' reign?
You can have one post-usurpation that's still a few hundred years old, right?
>>
>>45004933
>Roughly how many solars were there in circulation during the empress' reign?
I think 5 or 10 is the usual number?
>You can have one post-usurpation that's still a few hundred years old, right?
It'd be astonishingly unlikely, since the Wyld Hunt was stronger, better-equipped, and had only half as many Anathema to hunt down for that stretch of time, but possible.
>>
>>45004952
How long have the other shards been released?
Damn, I was wanting an older solar but not full on ancient first age dude.
>>
>>45004964
>How long have the other shards been released?
The Empress vanished 5 years ago, and I think that was supposed to coincide or nearly so with the return of the Solars.

>Damn, I was wanting an older solar but not full on ancient first age dude.
Really it's a question of why and how he's hidden for so long; if you can explain that reasonably the idea of a Shogunate Solar is far less weird.
>>
>>45005014
Just putting them together now, but I was thinking ashamed for failing their circle and unable to prevent their deaths, so retreated into hiding and focused on self-reflection and training monk-style. With minor interactions in nearby settlements.
Originally thinking about 800 years ish, but as low as 200 would be fine too.
I just don't want to try this if it's some mary sue rare chance shit.
>>
>>45004964
>Damn, I was wanting an older solar but not full on ancient first age dude.

I'd allow it, but it would be a very, very paranoid Solar, with a proper backstory explaining how he survived all this time.

I once played a Solar who went in the bordermarches for several centuries. He had some ties with a local Lunar faction and survived by never approaching reality and being badass enough to wither anything that went his way.
>>
>>45005055
>mary sue rare chance

Well, for one, it's a Solar, so you're there by default.

For two, I'm assuming this is an NPC, so mary sue doesn't really apply, since you already get to be the guy who plays literally-unique characters, never before seen monsters, and the likes of Ligier and Kejak.
>>
>>45005103
PC actually
>>45005099
I was going to play them as quite paranoid and defensive, with maybe some integrity charms and a focus on physical perfection all to tie-in with the monk lifestyle.
It would be deep threshold or bordermarches, with a focus on stealth and combat to stay out of trouble. Might even do some incidents with the wyld or raksha.
>>
>>44994648
>I'm surprised more of the OPP lickspittles aren't shitting on that thread.
Because contrarily to what you might think, people on the OPP forums don't give a shit wether or not you're working on something, they only care if you're talking shit but not putting your money where your mouth is.

That's why people who shitpost about Craft without proper work get their threads rushed, when those like Sanctaphax who wrote an alternative system and a bunch of charms was congratulated on the quality of his work.
>>
>>45005371
What do you think about this charm rewrite?
>>
>>45000296
>I've been thinking about making a quick and dirty port to d20

As someone who has walked that path, don't.

Primarily because d20 is about dungeon crawling and murderhoboing, Exalted is very nearly the antithesis of this. Additionally, d20 has very limited room for out-of-combat utilities that don't boil down to getting ready for combat, while Exalted allows completely non-combat characters if you really want. Secondary character concepts like Limit and Merits are also anathema hurr hurr to d20.

If you absolutely MUST run it on something that isn't native, I hear good things about that Fire and Blood versions someone made while waiting for 3e. Failing that, MURPG could actually work pretty easily.
>>
>>45005387
I have absolutely no use for it, because I'm fine with the charmset as it is, and I'm fine with the charmset as it is because I've left behind the 2ndEditionism that you should always consider that you will buy every charm in an ability, so I don't actually consider the Solar charmset to be bloated or speedbumpy, only very diverse.

As for the rewrite itself, I find that it is much too kneejerk a reaction for my tastes. Let's look at the objectives of it ("you" is impersonal) :

>Clarify rules and standardize terminology.
That's great. I can get behind that any day and would find much use in it.
>Remove non-charm dice and speed bumps.
Have you considered balance? Have you considered why these charms are there? Are you approaching this from the standpoint of a charmtree being something you have to complete? Did you consider the impact of Solar XP on the amount of available XP for charms?
>Remove stunting from charm texts.
That one I understand. I appreciate the way charms are written in the book, but as an ST I could do with the naked mechanics of the charm for quicker reference.
>Remove unthematic charms. Solars do not mess with fate, they do not inhabit clone bodies, they do not cause natural disasters by research.
Yeah, fuck off. This is when this stops looking like a genuine effort to rewrite the charmset for clarification ("How I wish charms were written") and crosses over into "This is the charms I like and the charms I dislike, here's my table's homebrew charmset". Which is great, but also a different thing.
>Shorten the chapter. The charm descriptions are generally 1/2 to 1/5th the original length.
That's useful.
>Being a queer woman myself, I have experience with some of the issues around gendered language, but in this case I've preferred brevity and clarity over gender-neutrality.
A choice I can get behind when it comes to an attempt to clarify text.

All in all it would be useful, if it were actually focused on clarification.
>>
gimme plothooks for a north campaign. Please
>>
>>45006915
a giant snowstorm is slowly wandering south, it has been dubbed snowzilla and seems to make a beeline for [local important city]
Some think it's just a fluke, but could some malign intelligence be piloting it? And what would you find in their centre?

A powerful fae-lord with ice-themed aestethics and his court of winter fae? A behemoth that wandered into the world, bringing snow and storm wherever he goes? An ancient, malfunctioning first age weather machine? The elemental dragon of air, finally awoken and doing things for mysterious purposes? A deathlord and an army of the dead, ever-growing thanks to the countless people that die to the storm?
>>
File: 1448633809691.jpg (235KB, 600x865px) Image search: [Google]
1448633809691.jpg
235KB, 600x865px
>>45004777
I've found the game basically a nightmare to play with a full group, let alone run.

It lacks focus. Even rewriting the crafting stuff to be more in tune with a high action, high energy game doesn't solve the problem.

It's just stunningly badly designed from a perspective of player and time management.

It's such a letdown coming back to it after playing other game engines.

It's truly odd because most World of Darkness games don't feel that way. In fact, the more the merrier seems to be the general consensus.

I think it's because other games tend to enforce the group working together to accomplish singular goals rather than everyone heading off in their own directions because they can accomplish what they need to alone.
>>
Has anyone tried playing a Single Point Shining Into The Void user? How does it feel in actual play?
>>
>>45004964
>How long have the other shards been released?
Shards very well might not be a thing in 3e. From what I've read so far, it seems like people exalt if/when Sol wants them to, and after they die the exaltation dies with them.
>>
>>45009486
That's too much of an assumption, I think.

Exigents and "black market exaltations" make it clear that shards exist as discrete entities
>>
>>45009580
what
>>
>>45009642
Black Market Exaltations.

Basically an Exigent's shard that ends up in the hands of someone it's not supposed to and implanted into a buyer.
>>
Hmm, I wonder what I should get for my Celestial Circle control spell. Magma Kraken looks fun, but I also like Cantata and Distance Without Travel.
>>
>Go to the exalted forums because why the fuck not I'm bored and stupid enough to
>That one topic that's currently on the thread turns into a tumblrite crusade against white people
Well. The forums haven't actually changed I see.
>>
>>45010159
I'm not even white, but white people self-flagellating for points is still weird.
>>
>>45009486
> From what I've read so far, it seems like people exalt if/when Sol wants them to,
More or less.

>after they die the exaltation dies with them.
This is only true for the inferior mass production models. The traditional Celestial Exaltations are all imperishable, thus ensuring that the incarnae stay on top and that their underlings do not have the power to overthrow them.
>>
>>45010159

Which thread is it? I'm in the mood to cringe. Is it "(Less)-Gendered Terminology of Creation," or some other one?
>>
>>45010361
yes
>>
What evocations would weapons made from vitriol-reinforced metals have, generally?
>>
>>45010899

First you got to find out what Vitriol is and does in Wx3, then you've got to find out how that interacts with the MM.
>>
>>45010361
Looks like one "I'm not a racist, but-" guy who says dumb cringy shit like "why can't all these modern Negroes be civilized like Martin Luther King Jr and not listen to the rap musics and smoke the weed" is having a bitch fight with some white guilt bitch who thinks that a minority can't be racist because some dumb liberal professor made up some bullshit that says they can't. Pretty funny.
>>
>>45009720
is this canon in 3e?
>>
>>45011258
It's mentioned in the core book.

I'm kind of interested in what a black market Exigent would be like. I'm imagining some hardcore motherfucker that could give a Full Moon Lunar a hard time in a fight, but at the same time he's barely sane and will die in like a year and day from when he got the black market Exaltation or something.
>>
>>45011258
Exigency and Black Market Exaltations are mentionned, but that anon's extrapolations on exaltations being a physical thing are his only.
>>
File: 5284903f8f3b3ed1f3163247e3a0d8a2.jpg (462KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
5284903f8f3b3ed1f3163247e3a0d8a2.jpg
462KB, 1440x1920px
What would be the evocations of a 「Glorious Solar High Heels」?
>>
>>45012184
God-Kicking Boots focused around knocking people down and walking all over them.
>>
>>45012395
Gains Lethal tag when used against a prone enemy
>>
>>45012184
I'd probably give it a bunch social combat abilities. Metaphorically having people grovel at you and such over actual combat.
>>
So me and another player are debating. Is brawl stronger than Melee? And if I get hammer on iron with my supernal athletics am I going to trump our dawn? I don't feel that's the case but the dawn is worried. I feel like combat is a group thing and considering how thrashed my night got. he decided to shift from straight athletics to more brawl and dodge charms.
>>
>>45005534
Blood and Fire also seems a bit too game-y, with losing even social or mental combat effectively killing your character.
>>
>>45012804
You're unlikely to be better than him at combat unless you have more combat relevant charms.
>>
File: 1441597152710.jpg (76KB, 736x980px) Image search: [Google]
1441597152710.jpg
76KB, 736x980px
>>44948202
So, with Alchemicals done, and Sidereals and Infernals being in the work, which splat do you all hope gets converted to 3e next?
>>
>>45013911
The issue is that was presented with is that Increasing strength exercise + Hammer on iron and five fury onslaught was the strongest single target move in the game if it hits.
>>
>>45014028

There's a Dragon King conversion. I don't care for them personally, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness' sake.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NK47sNjn5B6CxXTKwwhhuetBFGrIvn_h3ikpDdrGjQw/edit

What else is there? Abyssals and Lunars? Converting DBs seems wasteful seeing that they're next after Solars.
>>
>>45014028
Gunstar.
>>
>>45014105
>well this seems neat
>I wonder how the paths look
>dat entire Celestial Air Path
>close document
>>
>>45008581
Our groups Dawn Single Pointist is very killy, at least. But then again, apart from him and our Ebon Shadow stylist Night the rest aren't really fightan men.

He has pretty much demolished most opponents we have gone against. Then again, I think our ST hasn't really pushed the envelope that much yet, when it comes to combat.

That being said, the combos are pretty sick once you build some initiative. Also the "destroy environmental/shaping magic" charm is pretty sweet.
>>
>>45009882
They are all pretty sweet, but I have atleast gotten quite a lot of bang out of Distance Without Travel. Deep Strike teleporting Solar squad hooo~!

Just need to think up a way to get rid of the fatigue penalty for combats.
>>
>>45014262
What's wrong with the Celestial Air path?
>>
Hordefag from a couple of weeks ago reporting back.

Second session went swimmingly. Two Size 5 zombie battlegroups, one Size 4 Tear Eater BG with axes, 1 Size 1 BG of giant ushabti dolls to smash up the gate, and an Essence 2 Dusk Caste vs 2 Dawns, an Eclipse and a Twilight plus a couple of crossbow-armed Fyrd units and a small group of Icewalkers, all behind a city wall.

It eventually came down to shooting the fuck out of the Dusk while he got his Essence bled off by the other Dawn and the Eclipse did lots and lots of Command rolls. My players seem very happy with it all. Only real difficulty is it ate two whole sessions, which is pretty much fine as it was kind of a Very Big Deal.

Really very happy with how the Ex3 combat rules handle big fights. Really massive battlegroups are scary as shit due to their damage output but they have trouble one-shotting solos, as they only do health damage if you're already Crashed, which means you can just bug the fuck out if you need to. Huge challenge and only some good luck on the dice kept everyone alive.

Very impressed. Hope the DB stuff functions as well.
>>
>>45017532
Oh, and the Area of Effect attacks from BGs also make people think carefully about calling in assistance from archer units unless they're pretty sure they can tank it.
>>
Which dodge, stealth or athletics charms stick out to you as speedbumps or boring dice tricks that should be merged or dropped?
>>
>>45018801

Those three in particular? Not many.

The only actual speedbump I can think of is in Athletics (Ten Ox Meditation is later invalidated by an E5 Charm, Nine Aeons Thew).

Most of Dodge's and Stealth's Charms are new tricks outright, and Athletics spreads its dice-fondling across its speed tree and its lifting tree.
>>
>>45019042
Thanks, that's good to hear.
>>
>>45019042
Nah, Nine Aeons doesn't invalidate Ten Ox Meditation.

Difficulty for a FoS /= Minimum Strength Required.

Nine Aeons Thew ESSENTIALLY gives you 2 auto-sux at all times for any FoS, whilst Ten Ox Meditation lets you sacrifice sux for strength to hit the minimum strength required. If you aren't the type to walk around with ISE committed at all times, Ten Ox...can see SOME use, but it's still the lamest charm in the Hulk-Strong tree of athletics.
>>
>>45019223

>Summoning the might of untold forces, the Exalt crosses the threshold of legend. This Charm is the gateway to outrageous shows of physical prowess—the Solar gains double 7s to attempt a feat of strength, and she counts as meeting its Strength prerequisite (p. 229) no matter how high that requirement might be.

Did you miss that last sentence?
>>
>>45019287
Hold on, I think I'm mixing up charms; I mixed up Nine Aeons Thew and Aegis of Unstoppable Force.

Ten Ox is still an absolutely trash athletics charm even without Nine Aeons Thew existing; sacrificing three successes means that a 5 ST Solar just trying to hit ST 7 FoS will, unless he's also activated a full excellency, be giving up his ability to hit ANY minimum successes by reaching the ST minimum. It's a very poorly thought out charm.
>>
>>45019392
Three Successes per point of Strength*.

Just laying out the math; lets say you're a ST5 Athletics 5 Solar trying to accomplish the bare minimum of a ST7 FoS, 10 successes to "Lift an Elephant, raise a drawbridge, or punch through a brick wall."

If you're going full STRONKMAN we'll also be generous and say you have 3 dots of Mighty Thew and a specialty in Athletics (FoS), for a total of 16 dice with a stunt.

16 dice is, on average, 8 successes; not QUITE enough to hit the 10 sux minimum to lift your elephant, so to be safe, you'll spend 10m on an excellency, bringing you to 32 dice, which will on average produce 16 sux;

6 of those sux are immediately swallowed up bringing you to ST7. So, on an average, middle of the line roll with a FULL excellency, a specialty, AND three dots of cap-breaking merit-granted dice, you are just, just reaching the minimum sux required due to Ten-Ox sucking things up.

So you had to spend 12m to have a 50/50 chance of doing it.

Which tells us that Ten Ox Meditation doesn't actually play nice with the high-difficulty FoS at ST7 and, god forbid, ST10. Which says that...Ten Ox Meditation isn't for the 5/5 Attribute+Ability Solar, but instead the 3 strength 5 athletics solar trying to accomplish ST5 FoS.
>>
>>45019526
Wouldn't an excellency bring you to 26 dice rather than 32?
>>
>>45014100
The Dawn has ISE + Iron Whirlwind Attack + Invincible Fury of the Dawn, which they only have to pay once to enhance each attack with charms like Excellent Strike + Fire and Stones Strike + Hungry Tiger Technique + Immortal Blade Triumphant. They get one less attack, but also don't lose initiative for missing.

Though unless it does 100 levels of damage from ambush, without bothering to win join battle, it still doesn't beat the Heart-Ripping Claw + Vindictive Concubine's Pillow Book doom combo.
>>
How good of a starting investment is Agile-Dragonfly Blade?
>>
>>45019729

It's not bad, but I wouldn't rush for it. E2 and E4 Charms are situational/refinement Charms; E1 and E3 Charms are the real keystones for competence and whoashit, respectively.
>>
>>45019713
You're right; I mixed up and doubled the numbers AFTER Specialty+Mighty Thew+Stunt instead of just the 10 for Ability+Attribute, so...

26 dice
13 sux on average

6 sux cost to hit S7

Which means that Ten Ox Meditation+Full Excellency gives you a considerably worse than 50/50 chance of doing shit if you're S5
>>
>>45019720
>it still doesn't beat the Heart-Ripping Claw + Vindictive Concubine's Pillow Book doom combo.

Either you misunderstood how Vindictive Concubine works or neglected to mention a pile of other Charms.

Let's say a starting init of 20 I guess. +5 for a full willpower bar. Tripled for a Defining Tie to 75. Double 7s average 0.8 successes, 60 successes on average, and that's with a massive JB so we're already implying other Charms.
>>
>>45019765
What essence 3 charms would you recommend?

The only one I have taken right now if Flashing Edge of Dawn because, frankly, it seems amazing.

Would it be best to continue down its tree and get Fervent Blow?
>>
>>45019894

Fervent Blow is also solid; Iron Whirlwind Attack is an incredibly efficient flurry Charm (and it's... Essence 2; weird).

Don't neglect your defense, either, Fivefold Bulwark Stance is the biggest "eat shit, penalties" available to your Defense score. (Also E2)
>>
>>45019958
Hmm, I could pick up FFBS if I dropped Hail-Shattering Practice as well.

Is HSP particularily good? It seems very useful to me, but having it at low Essence levels might be a bit of a waste.
>>
>>45019958

Iron Whirlwind Attack is good but if you've Supernal Melee then you might as well pick up Invincible Fury of the Dawn. Combine it with Strength Increasing that little bit more "Fuck You" out of it at E1.
>>
>>45020099

>but having it at low Essence levels might be a bit of a waste.

You're probably right. It is still a good charm if you find yourself in clashes, but you should try and avoid those if you can see them coming, stick to Bulwark Stance and Solar Counterattack instead.
>>
>>45020099

At E1 it's basically a 1/2-mote discount on your Excellency, or a couple extra cap-breaker "dice" when you go hard.

And later it grows into a nasty post-roll boost, yeah.

Not a bad investment by any means; certainly competes with the likes of Drifting Leaf Elusion and such.
>>
So I bought Mr. Gone a pizza, and he made this for me. This is the PDF from the back of the book, but with all the values you need to actually play the game.

Enjoy.
>>
>>45020280
still much shittier than the alternatives
>>
File: 73c3c305.jpg (62KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
73c3c305.jpg
62KB, 500x750px
>>45020224
>>45020228
Alright, neat.

Thanks for the help, gents. I appreciate it.
>>
>>45020120

>Combine it with Strength Increasing that little bit more

Combine it with Increasing Strength Exercise for that little bit more*

>>45020228

While we're talking about Solar Melee, how good are the Sandstorm Wind Attack and Fire and Stones Strike sub-trees?

>>45020280

Oh, hey, thanks, but there still doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between Caste, Favoured, and Supernal abilities, or differentiate between Bashing Lethal, and Aggravated damage.

Who's Mr. Gone?
>>
>>45020374
For all editions don't you just fill it differently for different HLs?
>>
>While we're talking about Solar Melee, how good are the Sandstorm Wind Attack and Fire and Stones Strike sub-trees?
Sandstorm-Wind and its children seem basically designed to deal with large numbers of individual heroic opponents. "5 guys each with their own init tracks" is something Brawl and Thrown kinda sweat about, but Melee is specialized against them. To that end, if you face a lot of Shikari, as opposed to boss monsters or BGs, they seem solid.

F&SS I'm less sold on, because penetrating soak is rarely (unless you slam into a Resistance Solar or some shit) a big thing; even a light weapon vs. heavy (mortal) armor is still rolling Str+extra successes damage vs. their Sta.

>>>45020280
>Oh, hey, thanks, but there still doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between Caste, Favoured,
These are immaterial. Once you begin play there's no distinction between a caste or a favored ability, and there's no possible situation where they would matter.

> and Supernal abilities, or differentiate between Bashing Lethal, and Aggravated damage.
These, though, yeah, kinda matter.
>>
>>45020458

Not on the PDF in >>45020280. On that sheet, you can only click on a box saying "Yep, that health level is filled" but there's no way to tell what it is filled with.
>>
>>45019856
Just Thunderbolt Attack Prana to double damage again, and also Open Palm Caress make it in self-defense. (Also for +5 initiative and to make it an ambush.) Optionally add Thunderclap Rush Attack to go first and steal even more initiative.

Rather tricky to set up, but absolutely will kill anyone who doesn't have Heavenly Guardian Defense, Seven Shadow Evasion, or maybe Reflex Sidestep Technique.

Just don't blame me if you rip your own heart out because you attacked a Solar with Seven Shadow Evasion + Drifting Shadow Focus.
>>
>>45021193

So at this point we're...

48XP into Dreaming Pearl (E3)
72XP into Black Claw (E3)
24XP into Athletics (E1)

and god knows how many motes and willpower

Yeah you probably should be annihilating people with at least 144XP sunk into "kill shit hard."
>>
>>45021889
Not the guy you were addressing but they could always be a Dawn with Martial Arts supernal and just 24xp into Athletics at essence 1. 15 charms and all.
>>
>>45021939

I didn't say it was 144 "actual" XP, just in terms of overall investment between slots and XP.

Similarly, I would absolutely hope a Dawn who sinks literally all of his starting Charms into killing shit hard is damn good at killing shit, because the first non-kill shit problem he runs into (or the first time his killshit fails him, such as a bad roll or an enemy with one of the hardcounters) is going to pucker his asshole.

I'm surprised nobody in this thread has brought up the 30-attack flurry Melee has, though.
>>
>>45021997
Oh god please don't talk about that. One of my players is in here and I don't want this.
>>
>>45021889
>and god knows how many motes and willpower
Surprisingly cheap: 17m 3wp (+7m if you hit). Unlike some of the others, you might survive fucking this one up.

>Yeah you probably should be annihilating people with at least 144XP sunk into "kill shit hard."
Indeed, you should be, and I wasn't kidding when I said it was hard to set up, either. It's mostly of interest to show that while HL are very useful, they alone are not enough.

It's also amusing because pure Brawlers appear to have no counter.

>>45021997
>Similarly, I would absolutely hope a Dawn who sinks literally all of his starting Charms into killing shit hard is damn good at killing shit, because the first non-kill shit problem he runs into (or the first time his killshit fails him, such as a bad roll or an enemy with one of the hardcounters) is going to pucker his asshole.
Ah, but here we have a socialite who spent nearly all her "real" xp on social charms, so her deadliness might be unexpected to some.
>>
>>45022747
The best you can really do is force a clash and roll higher for brawl but you do want to take another ability.
>>
>>45021997
>I'm surprised nobody in this thread has brought up the 30-attack flurry Melee has, though.

What're the key Charms?
>>
>>45023520
Yep. But good luck winning a clash against someone who can trivially slap a 12+ dice penalty on your attack for 5m, 1i using Doe Eyes Defense and two socialize charms(3m committed indefinitely).

Black Claw may not create clashes, but it wins them.
>>
>>45024085

12+? I can see 8+ with that one Socialize charm, but whats the other?
>>
>>45024068

Iron Whirlwind and Peony Blossom and a whooole shitload of motes.

I'm not sure if the full 30 is possible, since I was too lazy to do the motemath, but 30 is where your willpower runs out.
>>
>>45014138

That's... more of a setting not a splat.

You can easily do a Gunstar 3e game.
>>
>>45024128
6 (base) + 3(Guarded Thoughts Meditation [3m indefinite]) + 2 (Shadow Over Day [1m]) + (Intimacy value)

So technically 11+.
>>
>>45024579
How does the Intimacy add to your Guile value? I thought that bonus was reserved for Resolve.
>>
>>45024655
The penalty imposed by Doe Eyes Defense is Guile + (the strength of *their* positive tie towards you).
>>
>>45024721
Oh, how foolish of me.
Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
All these dice tricks are confusing, if the average result of 1d10>=7 is 0.5, what would it be if you rerolled all non-10s once?
>>
>>45024821
Each die has a .7 chance to be rerolled, and each reroll produces .5 successes. So .7 x .5 = .35.

If the Solar has a Charm that rerolls all non-10s once, then the expected result of each d10 is .5 + .35 = .85 successes.

This is massively OP unless it's tremendously expensive.

Am liberal arts major so probably screwed up somewhere.
>>
>>45024913
That doesn't seem right.
The charm is Perfect Shadow Stillness 1m 1wp to reroll a stealth action, preserving the 10s from those results and rerolling the remaining dice.
I'm not sure how you'd calculate that, nor how to input it into anydice.
>>
File: bluezima-shin-dong-wook-2.jpg (616KB, 1358x1920px) Image search: [Google]
bluezima-shin-dong-wook-2.jpg
616KB, 1358x1920px
>>45024148
So, essentially: Iron Whirlwind (5m, 1 WP, spend 10m on supplemental Charms to reach bonfire)
-> Peony Blossom (1m 1 WP)
-> turn PB's bonus attack into an Iron Whirlwind (5m, 1 WP, spend 10m on supplemental/reflexive Charms to reach bonfire)
-> Peony Blossom (1m, 1 WP)
-> turn PB's bonus attack into an Iron Whirlwind (5m, 1 WP, spend 10m on supplemental/reflexive Charms to reach bonfire)

Etcetera?

If you went 5/3/3 in your Primary and maxed out with 10 WP, you could spend 16m, 2 WP for three attacks apiece, and blowing your whole mote pool will net you 15 attacks, although the last six won't have any enhancements (your opponent's DV is in the extreme negatives, though, unless they have an onslaught-negator).
If you have Invincible Fury of the Dawn, you are doing 25 attacks.

Going this route definitely requires the high-WP starting build, because as your Essence increases, the major limit on your attacks (motes) increases.

All of Melee's ranged attack Charms are Simple, so this combo only works on opponents at close range, meaning you're likely to blow 32m, 4 WP dealing with one opponent at close range, and leaving yourself vulnerable to the next guy. However, this build only needs ~5 offensive Charms, so you can buy a defensive suite and some Awareness for a better JB and still have a couple Charms left over for whatever you need to buy to convince the ST you're not a remorseless killbot masquerading as a hero.
>>
File: crow-god-adv1280.jpg (451KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
crow-god-adv1280.jpg
451KB, 1280x1707px
>>45024966
Yeah, I fucked up - I did the math for "all non-successes," not "all non-10s."

...all non-10s is much harder to calculate at 2 AM while drunk. I'ma give up, hope some MathsAnon logs in by tomorrow morning.
>>
>>45025152
I think it should be a 0.65

0.2 for the 10s first time. + (0.5 * 0.9) for the re-rolls on the non- 10s.
>>
>>45025598
That looks right, thanks, I just couldn't grok it instinctively.
>>
File: 952a7755e36922dc00462b3890e040bd.jpg (533KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
952a7755e36922dc00462b3890e040bd.jpg
533KB, 1440x1920px
>>45012395
>>
File: 1453686396252.jpg (69KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1453686396252.jpg
69KB, 707x1000px
>>45026755
>>
What would be the easiest way to do a character with Compelling Voice in 3E?
>>
>>45024913
>>45025104
>>45025152
>>45026755
>>45026899

Watch out, its the Unrealistic Proportions Cheesecake Brigade!
>>
>>45028083
Watch out, its the Joyless Tumblr Landwhale Brigade!
>>
>>45027878
Kill you are self.
>>
>>45028083
>>45028417
Watch out, it's the Who Fucking Cares Brigade!

Game question: Does anyone have any tips for taking a large collection of charms, like a martial art, and then visualising how that will play out? I'm not good at getting a holistic feel for how a fighting style will play in game, so I have trouble picking charms.
>>
>>45028417
>>45028497

Hey if drawings of women who are at best Wyld Mutants is what gets you off that's fine. I'm just calling cheesecake what it is.
>>
>>45028564
Do you want a medal for stating the obvious? Who cares?
>>
>>45028083
Used to post more dudes and landscapes, too, but no one ever posts positive feedback to those. And, y'know, we're 225 posts in and only 10 images. You could post stuff too.

>>45027878
Compelling Voice, like the TVTrope?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CompellingVoice

The problem with that idea is that it's basically a 'save or die' effect - even if it doesn't get around unacceptable influence, with only a little bit of cleverness the speaker can order people into situations where they'll basically die. 3E deliberately moves away from save or die effects because you're playing a Mighty God-King and dying immediately to some bullshit is for level one chumps.

You could probably get reasonably close with Soul Voice, Pivotal Encore Performance, and Memory-Reweaving Technique (p. 362-363). Use Memory-Reweaving Technique to introduce facts that support what you want the group to do, then pile on the Performance boosters to get everyone to act according to the new truths you've implanted in their heads. To an outsider it probably looks like mind control.
>>
>>45004933

IIRC, there were maybe twenty or so total. The ones from the Invisible Fortress plus maybe a Night Caste or two who hid for long enough the Sids went "Fuck it, good enough" and sealed up the Jade Prison.
>>
>>45028609
Why is Ligier naked? And blue?
>>
Would Ride charms work with First Age personal vehicles?
>>
>>45029205
They work on motorcycles, so sure
>>
>>45029205
depends on what exactly they do. I mean, you could argue that you'd need special charms for certain things, like with Firewands and archery charms.
>>
So House V'neef runs the merchant fleet of the Realm, right? But what exactly does that mean in practise? Do they keep ALL money it earns? But if they do, is it really the Realm's fleet or theirs? And do they pay for repairs and stuff themselves?

Or do they just take a cut of the profits and give the rest back to the Realm?
>>
>>45029521
It means they tithe to the Empress just like everyone else.

But most of the merchant captains you'll encounter will either be V'Neefs or mortals. A few will be Water-aspected members of other Houses, but they're much more likely to be commissioned into the Realm Navy.
>>
>>45029521
The Realm is a balancing act.

On the one hand, V'Neef has to subjugate itself to the Realm because if they don't they'll be destroyed. So they pay taxes, they obey the law and they fly the scarlet flag on their ships.

On the other hand, if V'Neef decides to withdraw or turn against tthe Realm, they're fucked because they are basically defenceless without them. So the Realm turns a blind eye to illegal trade, lets taxes slip through the cracks, etc.

The merchant fleet is basically a massive game of chess crossed with the two players also playing chicken.
>>
>>45029521

...Wait, if they control the ships, how does that make sense if Ragara controls the money?
>>
>>45030925
Ragara controls the money?
>>
>>45030925
This system was outlined by someone with a Master's Degree in macroeconomics. Of course it doesn't actually work. More to the point, the details were fingerpainted in by high school dropouts.
>>
>>45024085
I thought there were ways around those penalties. If not it seems like there should be in Integrity.
>>
>>45031192

There's plenty of ways to negate penalties to your static values (Defense, Guile, etc.), but not so many ways of negating penalties to your attacks (Archery has some?).

While in theory such a Charm would be Integrity, there's not really a good way to phrase it to make it generally useful without just obliterating huge swathes of penalties. "Whenever you take a penalty predicated on the value of an Intimacy"? Whoops, now leveraging your Intimacies means nothing.
>>
>>45031234
'Whenever applying social penalties to physical actions' or something? So you can still be convinced of stuff, but people can't use your feelings against you during a fight
>>
>>45031234
Well Socialize prevents that but I meant being immune to socialize penalties. I figured they'd have to succeed against you but doe eye defense not having any counter seems really dumb. Just auto inflicting 7+ penalties before other charms is dumb.
>>
Why does the signature Night caste wear a marching band uniform?
>>
>>45031270

That might be more doable?

Maybe something like

Emulation of the Tear-Streaked Stone, Integrity 3 / Ess 2
3m, Reflexive, Instant, yadda yadda
Reduces any penalties to physical actions predicated on the character's Intimacies or other emotional/social manipulation by the Solar's Resolve, as his unflinching conviction smothers the feeble heart.

Or a more expensive scenelong version, maybe, so that Integrity's other Charms can plug directly into it.

>>45031292
If I was looking to nerf Doe Eyes in particular or Black Claw in general, I might let the martial artist's target apply counteracting Intimacies or spend willpower to resist like any other "social influence."
>>
File: Whitewashed.png (1MB, 811x765px) Image search: [Google]
Whitewashed.png
1MB, 811x765px
>>45031392
Because she's a strong black woman that don't need no man
>>
>>45031459
>no scar on her knee
BACKING STATUS: CANCELED
>>
>>45028609
>Used to post more dudes and landscapes, too, but no one ever posts positive feedback to those
Assume I tacitly approve of any male you post as long as they're as hot as that one.
>>
>>45031803
Novia seems to be quite popular.
>>
>>45031459
>Black
>>
File: All The Cakes.png (792KB, 925x609px) Image search: [Google]
All The Cakes.png
792KB, 925x609px
>>45033263
>>
>>45033263

She is black, but a shitload of artists apparently don't know or don't care how to draw brown people so a lot of the art of her ended up white.

Like, so much art that they couldn't even just not use it all; pieces were sent back like "BRUH SHE'S A NIGGER FIGURE IT OUT."
>>
File: E3 Novia.jpg (91KB, 560x749px) Image search: [Google]
E3 Novia.jpg
91KB, 560x749px
>>45033289
>She is black, but a shitload of artists apparently don't know or don't care how to draw brown people so a lot of the art of her ended up white

Welcome to Exalted 3rd Edition
>>
>>45029521
>But what exactly does that mean in practise?

I don't think the books go into much detail.

Gonna throw some ideas here.

So being Imperial servants carries a few big benefits for V'Neef. Chartered Imperial cargo ships enjoy priority in docking and other harbor services, because you're not going to hold up Her Redness' business unless you have a damn good reason. Imperial agencies don't pay taxes on the services they deliver or receive. The Realm insures the ships and pays for all expenses. So a V'Neef ship with an Imperial flag can pull into a Realm harbor with a load of salted pork for the local legion and they get immediate service from the portmaster, they get waved through customs, they pay no import tariffs, they pay no fee to dock, to rent a government warehouse. Additional, private cargo just happens to enjoy some/all of these benefits.

The downside of delivering Imperial cargo is that Her Redness also keeps all the profits – if you deliver a boatload of Chiaroscuran glass, you are not seeing any of the money it would be worth. However, you CAN bill the Realm for any expenses incurred along the voyages – and with your cousins sitting on the other side of the negotiating table, it's going to be extraordinarily easy to get a contract that includes outrageous salaries for every V'Neef – think of the U.S. Pentagon paying for $600 hammers, or the F-32 boondoggle.

Of course, they can't get too greedy. Even if the House matriarch is Mom's current favorite, she can't risk even being seen doing damage to the empire, so graft is kept at reasonable levels that will avoid having any V'Neef scions garroted in their sleep by enraged magistrates. It's still a tremendous amount of profit, especially because it enables even greater margins on their other specialty, wine, which travels well.
>>
>>45031803
Welcome. You're late to the "money back" party.
>>
File: SJW.png (766KB, 600x2644px) Image search: [Google]
SJW.png
766KB, 600x2644px
>>45027878
>>
How do you avoid stretching your character too thin and still fulfilling a wide enough concept instead of a minmaxed specialist?
>>
>>45037566
Put 9/3/3 charms in at character creation, those being primary/secondary/tertiary things you wanna do with your character. Usually its a good idea to beeline with those 9 charms to some cool charm at the end of some tree in your Supernal ability and get useful/powerful bread-and-butter charms in your secondary and tertiary things.

Its also kinda nice to find something to use your Solar experience on other than stats, so maybe consider picking up a martial art, artifact with evocations or maybe even some teaching charms in Lore or Sorcery, if that fits your character concept. That being said, spending Solar shekels purely on stats is of course quite powerful effect, but I atleast consider the other possibilities with a dash of stats much more interesting thing.
>>
>>45037965
Is it okay to just have 3s and no charms for your other skills, taking a few charms here and there during play?
>>
>>45038057

As in 3 charms in five abilities? Not really.

You really want to make use of your Supernal and get a good deal of E2+ charms. Your Supernal is central to your character concept, what your character will build his legend around, there's a reason every character build and concept has at least eight charms in it. Solars are specialists, not generalists.
>>
>>45038266
No, I mean take 9 charms for my 5dot supernal, 3 charms for two 5dot focuses and then no charms for the other 3dot skills that are part of the concept.
I sometimes see how much use a few entry level charms are for a skill and wonder if I should find a way to get them.
But I also hear 8d10s plus excellency is enough to get by.
>>
>>45038505

>No, I mean take 9 charms for my 5dot supernal, 3 charms for two 5dot focuses

That's a perfectly legitimate way of building your character. For the most part, an excellency will be all you need if your outside your area of expertise, especially if all you need to do is wait until the rest of the circle arrives.
>>
>>45038266
>Solars are specialists, not generalists.

Like insects.

>laughingheinlein.jpg
>>
>>45038505
> the other 3dot skills that are part of the concept
What did you spend your BP on, if not your 3dot skills?
>>
>>45038665

The most overwhelmingly successful lifeform on the planet short of bacteria, yes.

Nevermind that it's not even true; it's not like there's 50 kinds of ants witin a hive for dealing with specific tasks, each ant tackles exactly the same breadth of tasks (or, at least, equivalent) that Heinlein expects of humans.

And no human is usefully generalist; they're specialists at one thing (their profession or passion, if even that), and then "good enough to not fuck up" at everything else.
>>
>>45038584
Well the 9charm supernal is my expertise, the 3charm skills synergise with that concept and together those all afford me attack, defence and some specific utility.
I was wondering if only 3dots and no charms in other skills are enough to say "that's a thing I'm good at", even if it's not my supreme solar focus.
>>
>>45039050

Yes, in the scope of nonmagical opposition, a 3 dot skill is higher than most people you'll run into, and par with most people you'll run into who'd call themselves a good [skill]. Skilled thieves have Larceny 3, etc. An Excellency is "thing I'm good at" even against a lot of magical opposition, so grab 1 Charm in your 3-dotters if you're really paranoid.
>>
>>45039112
They're caste or favoured with at least 1 dot, shouldn't I get the excellency for free without having to buy a charm?
>>
>>45039166

Ah, yeah. I thought you were talking about non-C/Fs.
>>
>>45038695
Using a flat xp cost system for chargen and advancement, I spent it on raising some 3s to 5s, and the rest on attributes because i'd rather gain skill and techniques in play rather than grow my innate talent.
>>
>>45038057
Yeah, thats totally ok and also most likely what most people will be doing. Having just Excellency in an ability is well enough for superhuman prowess, considering you can double your dice pool with that and thus you are going to win most roll offs with non-exalted/supernatural opponents.
>>
>>45040984
It really depends on the campaign and the level. Eventually you'll want to consider grabbing things like awareness charms if you've been dealing with sidereal assassins.
>>
>>45038726
>Nevermind that it's not even true; it's not like there's 50 kinds of ants witin a hive for dealing with specific tasks, each ant tackles exactly the same breadth of tasks (or, at least, equivalent) that Heinlein expects of humans.

I'm not sure why you think that's an argument that ants aren't specialists; the hive might be a generalist, but an individual ant is a specialist, and Heinlein expects a human to be competent at /all/ the skills listed, not just one.

But that's not the point, either. Heinlein's list wasn't some exhaustive list of skills. The point is, humans are adaptable. I might not be able to conn - but I could learn to. And if I'm in the habit of picking up new skills, I can probably pick it up pretty quickly. That's Heinlein's point - a human, properly motivated and educated - should be able to adapt to whatever the situation is.
>>
>>45042264
>an individual ant is a specialist, and Heinlein expects a human to be competent at /all/ the skills listed, not just one.
No, they aren't, that's what I said. EACH ant tackles the tasks in front of it. There's e.g. no such thing as killing all the baby-feeder ants in a hive; other ants just start feeding the babies.

There are fighty ants, one babyshitting ant, and there are worky ants, but that's literally the end of the specialization.

>The point is, humans are adaptable
As a group, yes. As individuals, not really.

>I might not be able to conn - but I could learn to.
Sure, in the way a pencil pusher has 'learned' to cook by dint of the fact he can feed himself. You'd need an exceptional talent to catch up to someone who does it as a profession on any real timescale.

>That's Heinlein's point - a human, properly motivated and educated - should be able to adapt to whatever the situation is.
I already acknowledged that "enough to not die" is within reach, but that's as far as humans get as "generalists." They specialize, because specialization is the only way to be useful unless you are literally alone.
>>
>>45044515
dude!
WTF are you on about?
Humans aren't generalists?
Compared to what? Tell of another creature that's more of a generalist than humans
>>
live long and prosper /exg/
>>
Do I count as "rushing" when someone disengages from me and I win?
And vice versa for beating an attempt to rush me.
Basically, are those just words for chasing and fleeing in combat irrespective of who initiated it?
>>
>>45045530

No.

You're only rushing someone if you literally took the action.
>>
>>45044515
>I already acknowledged that "enough to not die" is within reach, but that's as far as humans get as "generalists."

"Not die" is a pretty weird benchmark for a lot of the elements of Heinlein's quote. Changing a diaper isn't really a matter of life and death. Neither is building a wall, or pitching manure. And a lot of them don't need specialists - I mean, sure, we have specialist accountants, but you don't need to be an accountant to balance the books. You don't need to be a professional mason to build a wall, or a professor of mathematics to solve an equation (depending on the equation, of course).

There's a whopping, great excluded middle between "not die" and "specialist", labelled "adequacy" - and it's really not a particularly high bar for an intelligent person in many fields. You just need to be willing to learn.
>>
Someone on the OPP forums just pointed out that thanks to the Scene Of Destruction sidebar in Melee, ISE is free outside of combat.

Holy fuck, that's going to save me a lot of motes. Before anyone says anything, it isn't 2m or 2i 'whichever is higher'.
>>
>>45047292

Not that anon, here's the sidebar in question

>Scene of Destruction : Sometimes it becomes dramatically appropriate to use a Charm with an Initiative cost outside of battle. When this happens, ignore the Initiative cost.

I'll let everyone be the judge of wether the claim holds or not. I'm fairly convinced it's bullshit, there's a mote cost right there by the Initiative cost. In this case where we have two options, ignoring one option doesn't result in the choice becoming "2m or No Cost". The result is that you ignore the option to pay initiative and have to pick the 2m option.
>>
>>45047825

Honestly ISe is thematic enough I'd let it slide for no cost. Someone wants to play STRONK, let them. If it's a crucially vital scene I'll whack them with the 2m cost at that point.
>>
>>45047825
If you have two options, why would you pay the higher one? In this case it is 2m or no cost.
>>
>>45048482
It has two cost options in combat.

Out of combat there's no initiative, so it's just 2m
>>
>>45048482
>If you have two options, why would you pay the higher one? In this case it is 2m or no cost.

Do you often respond to messages you haven't actually read?
>>
>>45048496
You ignore the initiative cost, not the initiative option.
>>45048551
Yeah, the guy claimed that the option to pay with initiative went away if outside of combat. He has no ability to actually back up that claim though, so I ignored it.
>>
What's with all the hype about Adorei? Is it all for the story and attunement bonus or are the evocations a lot better than they look?
>>
>>45049832
It's because she's a sword waifu. That's literally the short and long explanation.
>>
>>45048934
I hope you are being dense on purpose because otherwise holy shit.

The sidebar quoted in >>45047825 says verbatim : "When this happens, ignore the Initiative cost."

It doesn't say "the cost becomes 0". There is no "0i cost". If a charm requires that you pay 2mAND1wAND1i and you activate it outside of combat, you ignore the init cost and pay 2m 1w. If a charm requires that you pay 2mOR2i and you activate it outside or combat, you ignore the init cost and pay 2m, because that's the only option left to pick.

This is the litteral application of the text as written in the fucking book. "You can pick to pay in initiative outside of combat so ISE becomes free" already requires interpretation. More importantly, it requires the assumption that there is such a thing as initiative existing as a concept outside of the combat system and that the costs are just waved to simplify things, which the sidebar clearly signifies as not being the case because it calls to completely ignoring initiative costs.

You're the one with no ability to back up your claim to begin with here. RAW, using ISE outside of combat costs 2m. If you actually have a leg to stand on, feel free to actually argue you case.
>>
>>45048934
ISE costs 2m at all times, but in combat you can choose to substitute 2i instead if you wish.

This option does not remove the need to fuel the charm outside of combat.
>>
Is it mechanically effective for my Brawl supernal Dawn to invest heavily in White Reaper Style to be better at fighting battle groups? They don't have any shared weapons...
>>
>>45050636
What do you consider "mechanically effective"?
>>
>>45051179
Am I going to lose fights?
>>
>>45051257

You're a Dawn; the only fights you could even theoretically lose are against other Exalts, combat-optimized E6 spirits, or E8 spirits.

Anyway, Brawl is already good at mauling battle groups, because it mauls single targets with withering damage very well, but what White Reaper does offer you that Brawl can't, is a decent Parry defense when you're outnumbered, which is where Brawl really sucks hard.

So you'll be taking White Reaper less for "there's an army" which you can already crush pretty easily, and more for "there's 5 Dragon-Bloods with attitude," which is what gives Brawl real trouble and where White Reaper doesn't do too bad at all.
>>
>>45051340
>it mauls single targets with withering damage very well
Really? I thought Brawl was all about killing tough targets when you only have 3 initiative.
>>
>>45051366

It can do that, which is also good against battle groups (since they don't get to apply their soak against it), but it's not a good idea to fight at low init vs. BGs, because while they are fragile, they hit like trucks.
>>
File: Solar hero style.jpg (139KB, 610x412px) Image search: [Google]
Solar hero style.jpg
139KB, 610x412px
>>45051402
Then which Brawl charms are good for stacking withering damage? The only one I can find is Rampage-Berserker Attack, and that's once per scene.
>>
>>45001142
And here it is
>>
>>45051689
>this gimmick again

sigh
>>
>>45051595

Every clash charm for starters, since you're never going to use a decisive attack on a clash if you can help it.

Fists of Iron is 1m for +5 damage against anyone with literally any armor at all.

Adamantine Fists rockets your withering damage to the stratosphere. Shockwave Technique. Etc.
>>
>>45051738
>sigh
It's not like it was posted apropos of nothing; someone brought it up.

Relax.
>>
>>45052134
Why do people dislike it so much? I personally prefer Storyteller but it doesn't seem that bad from what I've read.
>>
>>45052215

I think because it was posted in every single thread for a while.

Personally I think it should go in the homebrew section. People wanting to use different systems for Exalted is nothing new.

That said, here's Infernal's 0.4, now with SWL charms and various other minor edits. Crafting will be done at a later date to help preserve my sanity.
>>
>>45051808
>Adamantine Fists rockets your withering damage to the stratosphere
Does increasing the Overwhelming damage really help that much?
>>
>>45052718

When your minimum damage is 10 or 11, on a light weapon, yeah.
>>
>>45052611
So what's next on the Infernal Design Agenda?
>>
>>45054721

Vidya

Though Cecelyne or Infernal Monster comes next, depending on what interests me more. Crafting stuff will probably be done once I get most of the Yozi's completed and I weep internally over all the zipping across that massive document I'd need to do.
>>
File: 1450579854058.jpg (183KB, 819x633px) Image search: [Google]
1450579854058.jpg
183KB, 819x633px
>>45054986
Pls Ebon Dragon first.
>>
>>45050636
Actually they do share weapons. White Reaper allows you to use scything unarmed strikes for it and unarmed is what you use for Brawl.
>>
I need some goals for a group of Gemitians in my Ex3 campaign. I've got the characters— 5 magical-girl-esque Gemitians, one for each 'anticaste', but... I'm not sure what I should have their motivations be in setting, or how it could interfere with the protagonists.

Background:
The party started out at a city in the South-East, which they saved from an arsonist, and then three of four Exalted. Not many people know this yet, and the party's ride-along NPC Sidereal (only present for the first campaign, now gone back to Yu-Shan) made it clear it was a bad idea to just reveal it willy-nilly, because the whole Anathema thing.

Now, I'm currently running a bunch of plot hooks that could go in different directions:

• Mnemon 'Mnemon' Mnemon has invited her great-great-great-great-etc-granddaughter (the party sorceress) back to the Blessed Isle, with subtext that's "I know you're a Solar, come back anyway. And bring your friends".

•There's Lunars wanting to make a settlement to the north of the Threshold city, which could destabilize the city's economy... or solve a lot of its problems, depending on what happens to the forest surrounding the city. (The party is working on this quest line right now).

• There are one or two compatriots of the original arsonist out there— powerful beings with a secret that's not of this world. If the party moves to a different area of the world, they may have one or more of these villains trying to kill them again.

• I am introducing ways for the party to get first age flashbacks. There is a giant spider boss that, if it bites one of the Exalts, they'll start flashing back to their past lives later on. (Alternately, if it bites the one remaining mortal, he gets spider-powers. :D)

• And there's these Gemitians... who are probably going to try to use the party in a way that favors THEIR goals. But what are they? (I'm trying to suss this out)

So yeah. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>45055081

Ebon Dragon is still far off, as I need to plan out his charmset.

I can give the yozi Dankus Memeus though.
>>
>>45055372
First thing to do if you're seriously including these guys in a campaign is learn the correct spelling and pronounciation. It's "Getimians".
>>
>>45055624
Isidoros? I hope its Isidoros.
>>
>>45055774
Whoops. 'Gemitians' is actually a group in-joke. 'Getimians' it is.
>>
File: 1451279486174.png (20KB, 176x158px) Image search: [Google]
1451279486174.png
20KB, 176x158px
>>45056811
>Gem doesn't blow up like it's supposed to
>Everyone living there glitches out of Fate and Exalts as Getimians
>>
>>45056885
Wait, wouldn't those people then be Gem-itians?
>>
>>45055363
Yeah, but you can't parry lethal unarmed without spending motes. You also can't get an Artifact unarmed. Though if Brawl really is good at fighting battle groups, then I'll probably use it exclusively.
>>
>>45057344
I'd say Smashfist count and maybe Razor Claws for White Reaper.
>>
>>45057526
>I'd say Smashfist count and maybe Razor Claws for White Reaper.
...how exactly? They don't fit at all.
>>
>>45058413
Of course you aren't going to be using the smashing feature on Smashfists and you can very easily stunt doing swiping and scything attacks on gloves with blades on them. If you are so super precise/anal about it, just make up something like Scythefist or something and lose the Smashing tag and maybe add something instead of that. Or don't.

There, easy fitting homebrewed unarmed artifact weapon for you. Like you are meant to do with 3rd edition weapon rules. Cant find something fitting? Just make shit up, bruh. Like in my game my Black Claw Stylist made himself some artifact finger nail guards, cause you know, you are supposed to homebrew shit up in this edition cause the rules support that.
>>
If I have 2 essence, 5 dex and 5 dodge, with an evasion of 5, how high would Reed in the Wind allow me to raise it?
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.