[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, odd request. A friend has this tattoo in Tolkien elvish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 26

Sup /tg/, odd request. A friend has this tattoo in Tolkien elvish on her neck, and made the bet that the rest of us would never figure out what it says, claiming it took her hours of study to translate the phrase from English. You guys know your shit and you're the first resourse that came to mind, can anyone help?
>>
"Good dick", but phrased in such a way as to sound like a title. Sorta like how "The One Ring" wasn't just "Oh, that one ring, you know the one."
>>
>>44935057
Looks like arabic. Probably has something to do with cocks though like >>44935091 said
>>
>>44935106
Women, right?
>>
"thirty-seven dicks"
Huh.
>>
>>44935109
Nah, sluts m8.
>>
>>44935057
I think its suppsoed to say "moon goddess". Id almost it say the dicks thing.
>>
"Hah, I got a tattoo about dick, and nobody will know because they'll assume anyone who says so is fucking with them."
>>
>>44935057
The One Whore
>>
>>44935057
"Black Only"

Sorry anon, you've been cucked.
>>
>>44935057
Sucker bet. It's not Elvish. Looks like some sort of SE Asia moon runes.
>>
>>44935158
It's Moon Goddess, alright, but she didn't have the sense to have it in Sindarin. Probably becasue 'goddess' does not appear in Sindarin and 'Ithilrhien' is too low ranking for her giant ego.
>>
>>44935057
Decided to actually look it up and >>44935158
>>44935239 are correct.

What is this about "it took her hours of study to translate the phrase from English". It only took me 36 minutes. All I can say is >>44935109
>>
>>44935057
But, what's the bet? What do you get if you're right? Can you pork her afterwards?
>>
>>44935269
Damn, I was hoping for 'insert coin' or something
>>
The rank virginity in this thread is making me gag.
>>
Tattoos are the pitiable self identifier of low class status and poor impulse control. Obviously there are exceptions such as culturally significant tattooing like Polynesians.
>>
OP here, it was 'moon goddess', good work team.
>>
>>44935141
In a row?
>>
>>44935471
What have you won?
>>
>>44935465
You know, not true man.
I've never gotten a tattoo but I've been planning one for years now. It's supposed to represent the story of my life and my personality (in this case both the anima and the persona). I have divided my life in 16 eras and detailed the events then found suitables "stages" to depict in the tattoo, all of which I've handdrawn myself. I have also developed an order for the tattooing to occurs that goes in reverse chronological (with minor changes) to represent the return to the youth, the remembrances and the quest for immortality through memory.
Needless to say the entire thing consits purely of big black penises, totaling 267 total which will cover my whole torso.
>>
>>44935465
I just barely mustered the strength not to waste a hundred words, only to call you a snob. But I will ask why tatoos can't be part of one culture, lest it be considered crude, yet perfectly okay for another culture.

Seems arbitrary.
>>
>>44935644

Tattoos are a good indicator of poor impulse control, immaturity at time of tattooing and lower socioeconomic status. Humans mimic others in their peer groups. It isn't an absolute but rather a good rule of thumb. Well executed tattoos with cultural significance aren't the same as a jail house tat with a homemade tattoo gun and pen ink scrawled Darlene. There are many things which indicate lower Sochi economic status. But they are not absolutes. What are your thoughts on people with names like Porsche, Mercedes, etc..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it
>>
>>44935775
>Tattoos are a good indicator of poor impulse control
And this is when you have to differentiate statistics from the people with whom you are actually interacting.
>>
>>44935638
I was all set to call you a pretentious faggot, and then the last line made me spit my beverage onto my desk.
You win this round, fa/tg/uy.
>>
>>44935465
Wow that's a really long phrase to put into that short a tattoo.
>>
>>44935839
Elven is a rather complex language, senpai
>>
>>44935775
The good thing is they serve as natural markers for law enforcement.

A form of natural selection by the underclass to remove themselves
>>
File: quenya.png (69KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
quenya.png
69KB, 800x1132px
>>44935057
Boy those diacritic marks are sloppy. I can't tell if those are U marks or O marks.

Anyway, assuming it's Quenya, we're looking at something like "Moon Ngwonndess".

Looks like badly translitterated english, since no Quenya word starts with Ungwe.

What gives, OP?
>>
>>44935788
actually its a good signifier that you need to cease association with someone

it is a simple method of singling out the scum of society, their herd mentality and low capacity for higher thought processes drives them to brand themselves
>>
File: 1282072091384.jpg (51KB, 814x500px) Image search: [Google]
1282072091384.jpg
51KB, 814x500px
>>44935471
What a stupid thing to tattoo onto yourself.
Feels like I'm 16 again.
>>
>>44935877
Is earning 5k USD a month doing a job you enjoy in a still-growing field not a better signifier of "lower socioeconomic status" than a stupid fucking tattoo?
>>
I think the Native Americans call menstruation the moon goddess.
>>
File: e725.jpg (30KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
e725.jpg
30KB, 390x310px
but the moon is male in the lotr universe
>>
>>44936075
So? I'm more concerned about what a ngwondess is.
>>
>>44935900

It's really great to see people with this disease striving for a better life in spite of their perminately markings. Keep them covered at all times and start saving for laser removal. For every Inky that is making a solid mild class wage there are 5 in prison making tattoo guns out of pic pens and electric razor motors.
>>
I employ 60+ people in light manufacturing and logistics contracting. All things being equal between candidates I would never hire someone with visible tattoos to a management or sales position.
>>
>>44935877
>>44936127
what about self harm scars
>>
>>44936127
What about people who cover themselves in Medieval iconography as a constant reminder of his connection to yet distinction from the divine.
>>
>>44936127

Is this bait?

I feel like this is bait.
>>
File: 1357269644018.png (193KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1357269644018.png
193KB, 500x379px
>>44935886
>not supporting your local Moon Goddess
>>
>>44935465
>Tattoos are the pitiable self identifier of low class status
>Implying
>>
>>44935465
mad_max_bait.webm
>>
>>44936197
As all good elves should.

Fuck the sun, they only made that shit because Men were moaners and complainers.
>>
>Moon Goddess
>the Moon God is male in Tolkienverse
10/10
>>
>>44936241
He's right.
You can have an opinion, but that's a subjective truth.
>>
>>44935465
*tips fedora*
>>
>>44936323
Do the words even make sense? As in, does Elvish in Tolkien have masculine/feminine/neuter endings that determine the gender, plurals and so on? I mean, in Greek for example, "Zeus" is singular (no plural because only one Zeus) and masculine (no feminine/neuter because Zeus is male).
>>
>>44936181
wow you are so perceptive
>>
>>44936401
The words don't make sense, it's a transliteration for "moon ngwonndess." Sindarin doesn't have a word for "goddess" nor does it have a lone "g" sound.
>>
File: 2vZHliD.jpg (38KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
2vZHliD.jpg
38KB, 512x384px
>>44936242
>>
>>44936140
Define "visual tattoos". Are we talking just neck and facial tattoos? Or are shirtsleeves counted too?
>>
>>44936142
If they're on a girl it means she'll probably put out. On guys expect a 100% increased chance of furrydom and Christian themed fanfiction of Sonic the Hedgehog
>>
>>44936478
Visible tattoos are visible. I imagine neck tattoos would eb okay if the guy wore turtlenecks.
>>
>Ctrl-F 'georgian'
>0 results

It's not SE asian or elvish. Look up what Georgian looks like.
>>
>>44936424
I can't wait until the wall goes up to keep you humans out of our forests.
>>
>>44936579
see
>>44935864
It's a bad quenya transliteration of "moon goddess."
>>
>>44935638
>>44935638
FUCKING
KEK
Well done, Anon.
>>
>>44936478

Visible tattoo is a tattoo that is visible. Primarily I mean any tattoo above the collar, below the elbow. Same for piercings or any other body decor. Anyone who interacts with clients will have a professional, clean cut appearance as they are representing me and the company. So no wearing gloves to hide your hold fast knuckle tattoo.
>>
>>44936622
You must hate milennials then.

A lot of companies seem to be loosening their tattoo policies right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more accepted in the next few decades.
>>
>>44935900
That's why it's called "socioeconomic" and not just "economic", clodhopper. An individual of a low socioeconomic class can end up making money hand over fist by chance, but he's still a prole in heart and soul.
>>
>>44935141
I wasn't even supposed to be here today
>>
>>44936640

I don't hate anyone. Your fooling yourself though if you believe being heavily tattooed won't effect your professional opportunities in most industries. the wealthy decision making class is not tattooed.
>>
>>44936640

Not that guy but I can confirm that I do in fact hate millennials.

>>44935775

Both the baby boomers and my generation did have tattoos. A few discrete ones, usually. And even those sucked in comparatively short order.

Here's the problem.

First, whatever picture you get won't be as clever as you think it is, and ten years from now will look hopelessly stupid and lame even to you. Do you think all those girls with tramp stamps, tribal symbols, and barbed wire rings around their arms are still celebrating how timeless and unique they are?

Second, a tattoo will never make someone more attractive than they are. Sometimes they won't become less attractive (at first) but at best it's neutral. In the vast majority of cases, it makes someone look uglier. There's nothing like taking a beautiful girl and scribbling all over her.

Third, what if you screw up? What if the art is poorly drawn? Both of those are true in this case. The quenya translation is wrong, the mythos is wrong, and the art is poorly drawn, too. All we know is that she cares enough about Tolkien to engrave her body with it permanently, but not enough to study it up. Britney Spears fucked up this way; she got a tattoo of what she thought was the Japanese character for unique; but due to a translation error, it just said "strange".

Fourth, people age. A tattoo often looks ugly from day one, but as the years roll by it starts to get stretched and faded. Nothing highlights sags, wrinkles, and weight gain like an old shitty tattoo.

Most girls are going to be attractive in their teens. That's just biology. Usually in their 20's too, with only a modicum of diet and exercise. By your 50's, unless you struggle mightily and have incredible genes, your days as a hottie are over. The fight is for your 30's and 40's, and tattoos highlight age like nothing I've ever seen. I can't even tell you how many girls I knew who got tatted up in the 1990s and now look like frumpy old whores.
>>
>>44936826

I should stress that 80% of this applies to men, too.

The thing is, people used to get tattoos because it made them feel unique. Now the do it to fit in. Why go through all that just to be yet another inked up hipster? Who really looks at them, other than to say "he's covered in tats".

If you're smart, you'll avoid tattoos altogether. If you have to, then get something discrete that you can easily cover up.

Girls, if you get a tattoo on the back of your neck or the small of your back, you should be prepared to put out a lot of anal sex over the rest of your life, because I promise you you'll never be able to convince your husbands that you haven't at least tried it and then they'll want it, too.

To anons who think this isn't a social cue of high vs low socioeconomic status, i ask: where are all the kids of politicians and corporate execs who are covered in tattoos? Why is this stuff mostly coming out of urban culture and trailer parks? I'm willing to judge the person on their own merits but you can't deny that a tattoo is indicative of SOMETHING.

After all, saying something to everyone who looks at you is the whole point of getting a tattoo in the first place. You can't very well go around making loud declarations via fashion statements and then get all offended when people listen to them. Or rather you CAN do that but then you're an idiot.
>>
>>44936401
The words don't make sense.
She didn't use the Quenya words for "moon" and "god", but just wrote "moon goddess" in english using a different writing system.

And this is what took her "hours of research" to do.

If she wanted to write "moon goddess" in REAL Quenya, she shoud've written "Vala Isillion", or "Valie Isillion" if she wanted ot to stress the female aspect.

or use "Maia" instead of "Vala" since there isn't a generic word for "god" in Quenya: you have to be precise about whether you're talking about a Vala, a Maia, or Iluvatar.

Or you could use "Fana" if you're talking about the Pure Raiment, the body-shape that houses the soul of a divine being. That's not the being itself, though, but just the form it "wears" to interact with non-spiritual beings.

...Or, you know, just use "Tilion". You know, the Maia that drives the Moon across the sky? The MALE Maia that drives the Moon across the sky.

Christ. It's like they don't even make kids read the Silmarillion anymore.
>>
>>44936975

b..but I was going to get my family crest tattooed on my arm w/Latin motto.
>>
>>44937045
Are you property?
Only property gets the crest.
I don't believe you come from a family which has a crest.
>>
>>44937045
Does your family crest have a proper blazon? Is it properly sourced? Does it respect the Rule of Tincture? (unless they're Arms of Enquiry I guess, but only tryhards, edgelords and the Kingdom of Jerusalem go full Enquiry) Is the latin real, actual latin or just crappy late-medieval fake latin? I bet your arms aren't even canting.

Unlike the rest of the thread, I don't really care what people tattoo on their bodies. It's their skin, they can do whatever the fuck they want with it. None of my business.

But sloppy bullshit pisses me off. If you want elven, make it proper quenya, not an english word written in tengwar. If you want a coat of arms, make it a real coat of arms, and not some Game of Thrones level unblazonable piece of shit. etc.

Just my two cents.

So, what's your crest and motto? Maybe I'm still in time to save you from embarrassment.
>>
File: the dwarves did this.jpg (79KB, 398x724px) Image search: [Google]
the dwarves did this.jpg
79KB, 398x724px
>>44935057
>"She-Who-Likes-Dwarf-Butts-And-Who-Is-Incapable-Of-Lying of the House Siblings-That-Cannot-Deny-That-When-They-See-Dwarf-Butts-It-Arouses-Their-Elven-Ardour"
>>
File: 1445033026567.jpg (10KB, 234x216px) Image search: [Google]
1445033026567.jpg
10KB, 234x216px
>>44935057
This is basically the quenya equivalent of getting "white piggu" in kanji written on you when you ask the tattoo artist to put the symbols for love in Chinese.
>>
>>44935279
Even better can you burn her with acid to fix her horrible tatto choice
>>
File: raven_and_yt_by_nclaire.jpg (127KB, 400x596px) Image search: [Google]
raven_and_yt_by_nclaire.jpg
127KB, 400x596px
>>44935465
>poor impulse control

I see what you did there.
>>
>>44935465
In general I disagree but I also feel a tatto in another language is a poor choice
>>
>>44936242
Urge to make mlp joke rising
>>
This reminds me of a girl that tattooed the script on the One Ring around her asshole.

I wonder how she'll explain that one to her children.
>>
>>44937380
Why would her children see her asshole?
>>
>>44937045

I though awards of arms are to individuals not families?
>>
>>44936975
>Christ. It's like they don't even make kids read the Silmarillion anymore.
I'm only 19 and I could see the education system collapsing around me though all of high school

And it just keeps getting worse
>>
>>44937380
How the fuck do you keep that from getting infected after you get the tattoo?
>>
>>44937380
Well you see son the dark Lord sauron forged 16 rings

It was 16 right I can't auctualy remember how many the dwarves got
>>
>>44937416
Girls don't poop.

That being said it can be done. I've done my share of anus spelunking and it's not unheard of.
>>
>>44937295
Among Japanese hunters, the boar's courage and defiance is a source of admiration, and it is not uncommon for hunters and mountain people to name their sons after the animal 猪

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_boar
>>
>>44937416
bidets exist
wet wipes exist
>>
>>44936975

Best takedown yet.

Yeah what gets me isn't that her Quenya isn't perfect or that she didn't know it beforehand. It's that A) she thought it was some impenetrable mystery (there are people who speak and read quenya conversationally), and B) that she didn't bother doing enough research to get a decent translation.

When the last generation wanted to do something like this, we'd had to go to the library and do ILL requests to get dusty old tomes. Then send away to the Tolkien ConLang journals and order back issues. Then laboriously, painstakingly reconstruct it.

She whips up some grammatically and mythologically incorrect crap, can't be bothered to check it, and then gets it badly scribed on her back. Permanently.

Why not just have it read "I am so litterate!" instead?
>>
>>44935465
>Tattoos are the pitiable self identifier of low class status and poor impulse control.

>>44935775
>Tattoos are a good indicator of poor impulse control, immaturity at time of tattooing and lower socioeconomic status.

At least it's nice to see you're not just parroting the same old shit. When your argument is basically just a single soundbite coupled with a link to a wikipedia page for 'I know it when I see it' (which I'm not entirely sure you understand incidentally as there are pretty clearly defined parameters for what we're talking about) it marks you out as a bit of a cretin.

I don't particularly like tattoos either but you're an idiot.
>>
>>44937531
http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator
>>
>>44937539

Cretin is an awful big word for a inkskin.
>>
>>44937222
This. Thank you.

I'm not a crestfag, but I do not understand how someone can care enough about something to pay for and sit through a tattoo but not spend ten minutes reading a Wikipedia page on the topic.

And why? It's never something that matters, never a case where you're expected to know something you actually don't, so you have to fake it. It's always pretentious bullshit like mystical signs, or foreign characters, or Latin, or fucking Quenya.

I love pretentious bullshit, don't get me wrong. But if you're going to go out of your way to call attention to yourself, try not to piss your pants once everyone is looking.
>>
File: image.png (216KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
216KB, 1242x2208px
>>44937559
>>
File: Untitled.png (3KB, 144x104px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3KB, 144x104px
>>44937559
Truly a majestic language.
>>
>>44937589
Can one of our Tolkienfags translate what that actually says?
>>
>>44935638
>Needless to say
Well played, sir. You had me hook, line and sinker.
>>
>>44937580
There was a guy I went to school with who had his name tatooed in big letters across his shoulders.

In fairness to him the dumb bastard would probably need to refer to it now and again if he lost his ID.
>>
>>44936975
I hope this is Hugh.
>>
>>44937617
It's what is written on the girl's back in transliterated English.
>>
>>44937063

Many, many families do. It's not common in America and even more rarely remembered even when you have one, but it's not exactly rare.

>>44936242

The sun was created by the Valar to house the last fruit of Laurelin. Simultaneously, the Noldor of Fingolfin arrived across the Grinding Ice to attack Morgoth. Also, Men were created at the same moment in the East by Illuvatar Himself, unknown to the Valar.

Many Grey Elves believed that the rising of the Sun showed that the Noldor had the blessing of the Valar-- but both were consequences of the poisoning of the Two Trees and were otherwise unrelated to one another. What Illuvatar's purpose was in timing the creation of Men to that same fateful moment is unknown, but it was in the far East and so nobody even knew it happened until much later.
>>
>>44937559
>http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator
Tried hammering a few words in it and what it outputs isn't a translation but a transliteration, and a wrong one on top of that (tried typing "Arda", got the tengwar for "Randa").

>>44937580
I am a crestfag. If anyone really wants to, i can spend a few minutes listening to your blazons and check if they're idiotic or if they work.

In my mind, it's amazing to delve into pretentious bullshit.

No one in your daily life will probably be able to read Quenya. No one will know how to blazon arms properly. I'm writing a prop alchemy book based on hermeticism for a LARP. No one will read it and complain if my references don't check out or if my latin or hebrew are crap.

When you do this sort of thing, you do them for yourself first and foremost. Which is why you should do them right.
Other people might not ever notice that your pseudomystical crap is wrong, and they probably won't care, but you should. Because you're really the only one who cares, aren't you?

And if you don't care about it either, then who the fuck will?

>>44937589
"moon ngwommbsse"
Spoiler: Quenya doesn't have words starting with "G". The next best thing is "ngw" as a single letter, which just sounds weird as a replacement for english g.

>>44937604
"Re a fgnwa"
>>
>>44937380

Someone once gave Tolkien a coffee mug with the One Ring script engraved on it. He accepted it politely but in later years wrote "why would I ever want to drink from a vessel engraved with something so foul and evil?"

>>44937391

When her meth dealer slash live-in boyfriend Slade drunkenly points it out to them while she's passed out in a pool of her own vomit.

I do have to admit, there's a tattoo that proclaims in no uncertain terms what kind of woman we're dealing with here.
>>
File: uA9B23L.gif (302KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
uA9B23L.gif
302KB, 360x240px
>>44937686
SO, whats so wrong with transliteration? Considering its not really a language so much as a script written up for a book series, isnt it that much easier to use in transliteration than to learn a fake language?

You sound like a star trek dork demanding I pronounce Klingon in proper enunciation.
>>
>>44936650
>he's still a prole in heart and soul.
I thought we were talking about science, not your feefees, faggot.
>>
>>44937749
Tolkien put enough work into his languages that they can actually be treated as semi-languages, not just random script or transliterated English. As I recall, Sindarin uses a lot of Finnish as its basis in terms of grammatical syntax, but it's been a long time and I could well be wrong.
>>
>>44937403

Depends on the title of nobility. Some are inherited, and some are not. The laws are surprisingly complicated, even for something as seemingly simple as a knighthood.

As the system became more symbolic, the ritual and protocol aspects solidified what was once a very practical and fluid element of government and the military.
>>
>>44937749
>You sound like a star trek dork demanding I pronounce Klingon in proper enunciation.
I, a completely random anon, didn't say shit about it beyond "that's what it is."

Also, on an aside, the text looks so much fucking better than the actual tattoo. She really did fuck the smallest amount of work she could've put into an artistic act in the ass.
>>
>>44937749
>Considering its not really a language

It is a language, though.
Constructed languages are still languages.
>>
>>44937744

>Someone once gave Tolkien a coffee mug with the One Ring script engraved on it. He accepted it politely but in later years wrote "why would I ever want to drink from a vessel engraved with something so foul and evil?"

Didn't he use it as a ashtray?
>>
>>44937749
Elvish is absolutely a language, not just a script.

If you want to say that "you wrote something in elvish", then it should be REALLY in elvish (translated). Otherwise, just say "it's written in tengwar". (translitterated).

What I'm saying is, if you're getting a tattoo in tengwar, you might as well go the extra mile and get it in actual Quenya.

Because the kind of people who are likely to CARE about your tattoo are also the kind of people who might notice it's crappy.
>>
>>44935057
"The pleasure of being cummed inside"
>>
I hope OP showed that girl this thread so she can get her terrible tattoo fixed.
>>
>>44936826
>tramp stamps, tribal tattoos, etc
Ill give you that the vast majority of people who get these kind shouldve thought about it a lot more and are likely trying to fit in but I wouldnt lump everyone with a tattoo into this.

>tattoos tend to make people uglier
Purely subjective and should not be spouted like fact. Personally, I think women with stuff like full sleeves or nice pieces in other parts are more attractive in general. Sometimes it was a bad canvas to begin with though.

>could get meased up
Thats a risk you take and sometimes the imperfections are what give it personality. As for getting things tattooed on you in a different language its the persons fault if they dont study up on it enough to know for sure what it means, so Im with you on that one.

>tattoo looks ugly from day one
Again, purely subjective and shouldnt be stated as fact.

>people age and tattooes look worse
This is something a lot of people dont think about but it is the truth. However, Ive seen some old biker looking dudes with tats and while they were faded and wrinkly they still told a story, both to people who saw it and to him. Even old, faded, and wrinkly tattooes can have significance.
>>
Cont from >>44937864

>>44936902
Most of this is subjective too but, a few points. The whole a tattooed a girl is a slut is a stereotype, and while all stereotypes have some truth, that doesnt necessitate that every person who meets the prereqs acts that way. Ill concede that some people, potentially even a majority of half, will get tattoos with little meaning to fit in. However, you notice these people more because they tend to get the tattoos in immediately visible places whereas people who get them cause they mean something usually keep them diacrete.

>theyre indicative of something
Agreed, but what that thing is is different for everyone. Clearly for you its of low socio-economic status, poor decision making, and ugliness. But that doesnt mean everyone else sees the same.

>saying something to everyone is the point of tattoos
Again, not for everyone. I have two tattoos and I got them cause I like the way they look and, more importantly, they mean something to me as a person and remind me of what shaped me.

Am I advocating that every tattoo is special and amazing? No, but a large portion, even majority, look good and are important to the person. And thats my opinion, which I wont state as fact.
>>
>>44937765
>Tolkien put enough work into his languages that they can actually be treated as semi-languages
From what I read, which was on wikipedia so it could be wrong, he actually intentionally didn't create an extensive enough vocabulary for the languages to be used conversationally. Much of the vocabulary that exists today was created by fans based on what Tolkien had written.
>>
>>44935775
>What are your thoughts on people with names like Porsche, Mercedes, etc..
Technically, all those brand names were people names first, since the companies and brands were named after founders.
>>
>>44937446

No. Sauron forged only one ring.

The Elves of Eregion forged sixteen Rings of Power which were later stolen by Sauron and then given to his servants and people he wanted to corrupt.

They forged three more that Sauron never got his hands on and had had no hand in forging. Though the knowledge that the elven-smiths used came in part from Sauron. When Sauron first created and put on his Ruling Ring, the elves sensed it and immediately took their Rings off to evade his power. Eregion was destroyed in an attempt by Sauron to get hold of the Elven rings, and since the kingdom had been helped in part by their three Rings, all the good they had done turned to Sauron's advantage even though the rings themselves were inactive. The Elves hid the Three and kept them safe for millennia, until Sauron was finally destroyed by Isildur. Then they used the rings, cautiously, but also knowing that doing so doomed their kingdoms if Sauron ever rose again and got his One Ring back.

That's what's so insidious about the One Ring. It didn't just mind-control people wearing the other Rings. It made the wearer of the One Ring the master of everything that any of the Rings had ever accomplished. It was more about controlling Fate than being an elaborate Charm spell.

So that's twenty Rings of Power total, plus innumerable minor but still potentially perilous other Rings. One made by Sauron, nineteen made by Elves, of which only three remained in their hands by the Third Age.
>>
>>44937568

You're entitled to your opinion, but in my experience people who are tatted up DO have poor impulse control. It shows in other things like life decisions, academic achievement, drug habits, early out-of-wedlock pregnancies, unsafe sex practices, financial irresponsibility, etc.

A strong correlation doesn't mean that it's a perfect one:one relationship, but even a moderate correlation can be very useful for diagnostics.

Besides, it's a fashion statement. It's MEANT to provoke a reaction and give people an impression of the bearer. So fair's fair. You can't go around making statements but then when someone doesn't agree with them suddenly insist that people shouldn't make judgments about what you're saying.

In its zeal not to be "judgmental", we live in an age where people are embarrassed to exercise good judgment.
>>
>>44937391
Because it's all over the Internet
>>
>>44935366
Normie leave plox
>>
>>44935638
You sir, owe me a new keyboard.
>>
>>44937604
Just a wild guess with no research done. Nigger?
>>
>>44935366
subject of OPs picture pls go
>>
>>44937604
"ur a faggot"?
>>
>>44937904
Elvish can't be used conversationally only because it lacks a lot of words that are in common use today.

You could write an epic poem or a ballad in it just off Tolkien's original vocabulary, but you couldn't write a modern day newspaper article. It doesn't have words for, like, "computer", "internet", "car", "airplane", country names, or the likes.

But the language is definitely evolved enough that just adding new words is enough to make it perfectly usable.
>>
>>44937749
If you're gonna carve the Klingon language into your skin, you sure as hell better get the proper enunciation and syntax.

Otherwise you just look like a silly poser and one of those "fake geeks" girls always complain about being accused of...before going and doing something like this where they prove they have no idea what they're talking about
>>
>>44937744
>"why would I ever want to drink from a vessel engraved with something so foul and evil?"
Well, it is coffee.
>>
>>44937723
>lots of great points

>>44937580
>I'm not a crestfag, but I do not understand how someone can care enough about something to pay for and sit through a tattoo but not spend ten minutes reading a Wikipedia page on the topic.

I do. It's called "they have poor impulse control." Otherwise, they'd have put more research into getting it right, getting something different, or getting nothing at all.

>>44937589
>>44937604

It's absolutely beautiful, I agree. Someone else in thread said that that "translator" is making mistakes, but my quenya is rusty enough that I don't know for sure. You can't just rotate fonts, though, which is what most online transliterators do.

Tengwar of Feanor is surprisingly easy to learn and use. And Quenya isn't too difficult as languages go.

>>44937749

Because if you're going to write it using Tengwar with English, then use the Mode of English (which Tolkien did come up with) and actually transliterate it.

But then don't claim it's Quenya or Sindarin if it isn't.

>>44937820

I think so. Or for pencils. I don't recall. It's awkward because the gift was heartfelt.

>>44937857

He won't break it to her. Don't be silly. If she hangs out with lots of gamers, they will eventually all be in on it and laugh at her behind her back. Not because it's not a good idea (though IMO it isn't). Because it's so poorly thought out and executed and because she's so haughty about her own cleverness.

>>44937864

So what if it's subjective? It's still true. This isn't a court of law, I'm under no obligation to be objective or to put aside my personal tastes. Any social phenomenon is going to be subjective.

And as for "there are exceptions", well, ok of course there are exceptions. But speaking in general, what I'm saying is true.

>>44937904

It's true that there's not quite enough for conversation, but I don't think it was a design decision to prevent people from speaking it.
>>
>>44935057
It would take all of 5 seconds with a sharpie to change that tattoo into a series of dickbutts.
>>
>Strg+F "OP is a faggot"
>Phrase not found

I am disappointed.
>>
>>44937920
I see
>>
>>44937904

Jews faced the same problem when re-founding Israel. Jews all over the world spoke a plethora of local languages: arabic, english, german, polish, russian, french, etc. And several jewish creole languages, especially Yiddish, Ladino, and the modern variant of aramaic used by kurdish jews.

Even in the Roman era, Hebrew wasn't a spoken popular language. People used Greek or Aramaic, and even many religious writings were written in those languages.

What they settled on was taking Hebrew, which had been a language of scholarship and religious ritual for at least 2500 years, and converting it into a modern spoken vernacular.

This was incredibly controversial, but ultimately worked. Teams of scholars came up with hebrew words for modern concepts like car, laser and heteroskedasticity, but hewed as closely to biblical Hebrew as possible. That's why spoken Hebrew is so close to Biblical Hebrew despite being separated by millennia.

Fans have done a similar thing for Tolkien's languages. It's not perfect but it's usable. Of course, as with Hebrew, there are concepts that are murky or subjects of disagreement. Scholars argue and the original authority is no longer available. So even some points of "orthodox" Quenya or Sindarin are going to be subjects of debate.
>>
>>44938062

touché
>>
>>44938254

OP is critiquing the tattoo, which is on a friend of his. We're roasting her not him.

Thanks, OP, for giving us this gift.
>>
>>44938310
Would still be an interesting thing to have on a tatto.
>>
>>44938143
>It's true that there's not quite enough for conversation, but I don't think it was a design decision to prevent people from speaking it.
I didn't mean to imply that the intent was to prevent people from speaking it.

>"A precise account, with drawings and other aids, of Dwarvish smith-practices, Hobbit-pottery, Numerorean medicine and philosophy, and so on would interfere with the narrative [of the Lord of the Rings], or swell the Appendices. So too, would complete grammars and lexical collection of the languages. Any attempt at bogus 'completeness' would reduce the thing to a 'model', a kind of imaginary dolls house of pseudo-history. Much hidden and unexhibited work is needed to give the nomenclature a 'feel' of verisimilitude. But this story [The Lord of the Rings] is not the place for technical phonology and grammatical history. I hope to leave these things firmly sketched and recorded."
>>
>>44938310
Still doesn't change what I said and meant.
>>
File: all shook up in sylvan.png (110KB, 219x345px) Image search: [Google]
all shook up in sylvan.png
110KB, 219x345px
>>44937589
>>
>>44935057
>Elvish Sailor Moon
I'm stealing this for my next campaign
>>
>>44937723

> I can spend a few minutes listening to your blazons and check if they're idiotic or if they work.

I'm pretty sure mine is fake, but it's never been more than a point of idle amusement for my family, so here we go:

Three white fish on a red field, arranged in a triangle with two on top, one on the bottom. A red boar's head in lieu of a helmet (which is why I'm pretty sure it's nonsense), and the shield is mantled.

Hurrah for not knowing proper terms.
>>
File: harrypotter.png (396KB, 594x1146px) Image search: [Google]
harrypotter.png
396KB, 594x1146px
>>44938143
>This Bored
>Replying to 9 different people

I've been there too bro
Have a good day man
>>
>>44936902
>If you have to, then get something discrete that you can easily cover up.

I think that, in the event of a significant life event, a tattoo can be appropriate. I had a teacher in high school who was suddenly diagnosed with cancer and had to quit teaching. A bunch of his students got together and rallied together support and fundraisers and managed to pay for a pretty substantial portion of his treatment. He got a tattoo of the school logo on his arm once he went into remission and came back to teaching.
>>
>>44936902
>Girls, if you get a tattoo on the back of your neck or the small of your back, you should be prepared to put out a lot of anal sex over the rest of your life, because I promise you you'll never be able to convince your husbands that you haven't at least tried it and then they'll want it, too.

KEK this tbqh
>>
>>44938432
>Three white fish on a red field, arranged in a triangle with two on top, one on the bottom. A red boar's head in lieu of a helmet (which is why I'm pretty sure it's nonsense), and the shield is mantled.

"Gules, three fishes argent. A boar's head gules for helmet." would be the proper blazon, as far as I can tell. The use of a boar's head for helmet is really unsual but there's a lot worse.

The core coat would just be "Gules, three fishes argent". When there's three charges, they're normally placed in an inverted triangle, so no need to be specific about it.

It's a legal coat of arms. Is it canting? is the three fishes some sort of pun on your family name?
>>
>>44938572

Three fish, no clue. The biggest stretch I can make is that my surname is Luce, which is a fish in France. Part of why we don't take it too seriously is that we just can't find out if we're the French branch of the family, or the "We're technically British but boned everything" branch.
>>
>>44938572
Are you sticking around for a while, crestfag anon?

I have no idea where mine is but I'll try to find it, I'd be interested in knowing what you have to say about it.
>>
>>44938143
The subjectiveness is highly important because just because one person likes or believes something doesnt necessitate it to be true. Just because you find women with tats to be ugly to you does not make that a universal truth and shouldnt be used in a (legitimate) argument against them and I think that it hurts your argument more than it helps because it demonstrates that you are biased against them which will then bring your other points that were actually valid concerns into question.

Objectiveness matters in a situation like this where people are seriously discussing something. If you arent objective, or at least willing to accept that your viewpoint is flawed by bias, then it just becomes a shitflinging match of opinions with no progress being made one way or another.

I know that were on 4chan and having an intelligent conversation that doesnt devolve into stupid shitflinging is asking a lot but we can try.
>>
ehhhhh.....

Can we trust OP is a truthful narrator?
>>
>>44935106
...that doesn't look a thing like Arabic. It looks way, way more like Telugu, which is the writing system of a people who live on the other side of India from the Arabian peninsula, in the state of Andhra Pradesh.

However, it's neither of those, it's Tengwar, the alphabet Tolkien created to write his various Elvish languages in. The One Ring's script is in a stylized form of Tengwar, for example.
>>
File: 2_282.png (50KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
2_282.png
50KB, 621x502px
>>44938761
Oh, the three writing systems, for comparison.
>>
File: d2653a3473[1].png (8KB, 733x177px) Image search: [Google]
d2653a3473[1].png
8KB, 733x177px
>>
>>44938794
I can't read Tolkien's alphabets, but I have a funny feeling the second line there says "AYYYYYY".
>>
>>44938808
Nah it's
>>44938794
TOKI WO TOMARE
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
I'm waiting for loss.jpg, but instead of 4 pictures, it's 4 flowery descriptions of those pictures, written in elvish
>>
File: Untitled.png (498KB, 560x476px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
498KB, 560x476px
>>44938867
Inelegant, but here you go.
>>
>>44939004
Great. Is the "moon goddess" lying down?
>>
>>44939004
I don't know if you id this on purpose, but I keep seeing BU
I love it
>>
>>44935886
it's almost as bad as getting a tatoo in Al Bhed
>>
>>44935057
Mojon ngwndëndëss/ngwndndëss

Means litteraly fucking nothing.
>>
>>44936826
>be me have Bourdain tier bhudist mystical tattoo
>interview goes well
>i notice the interviewer keeps glancing at my tattoo on my wrist
>I say 'oh btw my religious tattoo isnt going to be a problem is it?'
>interviewer has to think for a while to try and come up with an answer that wont get him in trouble
The only tattoos that someone cant discriminate against
>>
>>44939460
The main problem is the fact that the translation was made phonetically and too quickly.
>>
>>44939596

Oh no not at all. Then not hire you. No one cares about what your tattoo means if they are looking for a pureskin employee.
>>
>>44938678
I'm around.

>>44938638
Then it's probably singing arms. It doesn't mean your family had any french ancestry: french has been the lingua franca of high society (and low society trying to pass themselves as high society) for several centuries.

Even the official motto of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is in french: "Dieu et mon droit"
>>
>>44939596
Bourdain can get away with that shit because of who he is.
>>
my dad got bored after drafting class and took a needle and some ink and made a tattoo with his initials above the web between thum and index. His father saw it and proceeded to remove it using a stainless steel brush. My father swore he would do the same to any of my tattoos.
>>
>>44939757

Then in the spirit of this thread, I go to get the coat of arms tattooed on my hiney.

Wish me luck, Anons.
>>
File: luci.jpg (92KB, 627x690px) Image search: [Google]
luci.jpg
92KB, 627x690px
>>44940124
>>
File: jesuschrist.jpg (33KB, 180x166px) Image search: [Google]
jesuschrist.jpg
33KB, 180x166px
>>44936378
>subjective truth
>>
>>44936650
You Eurotrash or somethin? In America, money talks.
>>
>>44937063
Yeah its actually really common. So common I suspect there's an awful lot of Ellis Island fuckery going on. "What's a last name? Oh! Oh, I'm a van Bleek!"
>>
>>44936378
>subjective
>truth
>>
>>44937416
Enemas and care.
>>
>>44935465
Nah, they're cool.
>>
File: owtheedge.png (36KB, 1343x188px) Image search: [Google]
owtheedge.png
36KB, 1343x188px
>>44935187
>>>/pol/
>>
>>44940546

I was just reading about lottery winners who were no accepted in their new wealthy neighborhood. "New" money is always looked down on. In 'Murica too. The filthy rich old families aren't tattooed either.
>>
>>44940774
Old money always hates new money until that new money becomes old money. Then that new old money hates on the new new money and so on and so forth
>>
File: 1452616897978.png (134KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
1452616897978.png
134KB, 600x601px
>>44936181
No wait... it's bigger than bait. I can just make it out...
>>
>>44940774
Thats because most of the people who win are not high enough class, eg upper middle would probably have an easier time than lower.
Imagine having the Beverly Hillbillies move next door.

Also, Lotto winners are notoriously bad with their winnings.
>>
>>44940954
>Also, Lotto winners are notoriously bad with their winnings.

What the fuck do they do with all that money to lose it all, anyway?

I guess I'm not a backwoods hick because all I'd want is a couple cruises and a house in the nice part of town.
>>
File: keksimus.png (280KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
keksimus.png
280KB, 596x628px
>>44935638

Well done, anon
>>
>>44941010
Well, the types of people who win the lottery are the types of people who play the lottery. Since the lottery is just a way to give away money you don't want anymore, it can't be surprising that lottery winners aren't paragons of wealth management.
>>
>>44941010
>a couple cruises
>>
>>44941201

A good quality cruise with a penthouse suite is only in the low thousands, anon.

When you've got millions in the bank, that's chump change.
>>
>>44935775
>mobile links
please die
>>
>>44941330
They load faster and don't have begging bullshit. Stop being a pedophile
>>
>>44937749
Yeah, that's also like asking why it's dumb to transliterate English into Latin. Just because a language isn't spoken widely (or really at all) doesn't mean there still isn't a right and wrong about it. No one's gonna hold a gun to your head to make sure you get your Klingon perfect, but the only people who will give a fuck are the people who know you are wrong.

The problem is that people don't seem to see an important distinction between "correct" and "incorrect". Spoiler alert: You get no social points for being wrong in public, no matter how cool it would have been if you were right. The thing that impresses others is that you properly executed a difficult project, not the pretty squiggles. So, you're right. It is easier to use transliteration than it is to learn a fake language. However, social points are simply not awarded for "easy".

So, yeah. You can call someone a dork for knowing better Klingon than you, but who was the tattoo meant for if not people who speak Klingon?
>>
>>44938771
Sorry m8, Arabic looks like Tengwar just written by an old person with shaky hands.
>>
>>44941270
Right. So you'll go on two cruises, ever, and then be perfectly fine not ever doing anything fun again. Sounds like a great plan. You should win the lottery.
>>
>>44935465
My best friend is afraid of getting tattoos as well
>>
>>44937531
Shouldn't you be shouting at neighborhood boys to get off your lawn?
>>
>>44939757
>Even the official motto of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is in french: "Dieu et mon droit"
No it's not. That's the motto of the monarch of the UK (excluding Scotland). The UK doesn't have an official motto (which is probably why the monarch's is sometimes mistaken for it)
>>
>>44941521

I've got three weeks left on my restraining order, so no lawn patrol yet. It's this or /r9k/.
>>
>>44941532

The United Kingdom doesn't have a motto because it's not real, but the monarch of the united kingdom does exist so their motto est su motto
>>
File: DSC_0043.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0043.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>44939757
Hey crestfag anon, still here?

I've got one, but I think it's just a coat of arms, and is quite possibly not a real one.

I'll take a picture, can you crestfag it for me?
>>
>>44937568
*an
>>
>>44938143
>So what if it's subjective? It's still true.
I think you may have some misunderstanding of what the word true means.
>>
Come on crestanon, I know you're here somewhere.
>>
>>44938033

ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Actually "ur a fag" but close enough.
>>
>>44945027
It just had that look about it
>>
/r9k/ ... I haven't been on there since it was first made. How is it nowadays?
>>
>>44946067
Murderous
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.