[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tide of Ages Quest Pt.24

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 4

File: Stone age 1.jpg (33KB, 500x266px) Image search: [Google]
Stone age 1.jpg
33KB, 500x266px
QM was in a food coma edition!

You don't like the idea of hunting without sight, but you really don't have much other choice. Fall is coming far swifter than you would have liked and you could never live with yourself if you jeopardized your daughter's safety. So after allowing Elia a few days rest, you press a spear into his hands and tell him you are going after the aurochs herd. Natrually, he is appalled at the thought.
"Trym, have you lost your mind?!" he snaps, sitting up and glaring at you incredulously. "You're blind and my spear-arm has got no better over the years. Hunting aurochs like this is suicide! I seem to recall you nearly ended up dead the first time we tried it and you could see then! Why not just trade for meat instead?"
"If it comes to it, I will," you say, firmly, "But for now, we'll try our hand at hunting. If you won't, then I will alone."
Elia sighs and takes up the spear, muttering. "I'll come. At the very least, someone has to keep you from killing yourself."

The large hunting parties of before have not really reformed, with farming making up so much of your food now. Instead, the old approach of separating the old, slow or sick from the herd and spearing them, has returned. It's a slow and dangerous method, but you think you have a reasonable chance of success. Still, even with Elia's help, it won't be easy. Magic will help you even the playing field significantly and you think that you know exactly the god to invoke. It's strange to call on one you only know of thanks to the herders, but asking Maar's permission to take some of the herd can only help your chances...
>>
>>44925677
You conduct a ritual to the herder's bull-god, Maar and take up your javelins. You have just enough control over your magic to guide your aim and enhance the potential of your throws, but it will still be close.

>Roll 2d10+2 (Spirit +Shaman +Tool)
>>
>>44925677
I'm here.
>>
Rolled 8, 5 + 2 = 15 (2d10 + 2)

>>44925728
Rolling
>>
Rolled 9, 6 + 2 = 17 (2d10 + 2)

>>44925728
FOR SERAAAAAA
>>
Rolled 6, 6 + 2 = 14 (2d10 + 2)

>>44925728
>>
andthat'senoughWRITING!
>>
Rolled 10, 1 + 2 = 13 (2d10 + 2)

>>44925728
>>
Maar is exactly as you pictured him. Thanks to the herder's influence, he has already taken human form and Elia describes him to you later. He appears as a towering, muscle-bound man with bronzed skin and mighty horns curving from a mane of shaggy, brown hair that hangs over his eyes and falls over his shoulders. Moreover, he appeared entirely naked and displaying his virility for the world to see. A god of few words, Maar merely hears your petition and nods. "You may take the weak from among the herd," he agrees. "I wasn't happy with your hunters before, but you allowed my herd to recover and too many in one place is bad. Take a few, but hunt too many and I will not be pleased..."
Compared to some other gods, like Lugal, he seems remarkably straight-talking... Odd.

Sure enough, possibly by Maar's guiding hand, a handful of the older cows separate themselves from the herd. You and Elia slip close, you following your brother's lead with an ethereal hand on his back. Once you're within range, you both stand tall, bring your arms back and in one clean movement hurl your spears. Yours goes wide, as your vision is indistinct at best, so far out, but Elia's pierces the cow's leg. The beast screams in pain and the rest of the herd stampeeds away, as you both close in on the hobbled prey, pelting it with javelins. After hunting in such a fashion until the coming of fall, you bring back more than enough meat to satisfy Soqed's demands.

You brought back three units of meat. Two will be smoked and reserved for Soqed.
>>
>>44927634
It is now early fall. At last, the unrelenting bad weather has calmed and you are treated to a mild and cool autumn.

What will you do?
>Hunt the aurochs 1d10 (Strength -Blind)
>Fish in the river 1d10 (Skill +Trait -Blind)
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Try and investigate something new (List options)
>Make something special (List options)
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>Change your active jobs and examine your inventory (free)
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Bring more land under cultivation
>Other
>>
>>44927697
Let's talk to the herders that are still around. See how they feel about making this a permanent arrangement.
>>
>>44927805
Seconding
>>
>>44927805
Also, if that's a free action, build them actual huts. I don't think they have any yet, but I may be mistaken
>>
>>44927805
Should be a free action.
How about we train our magic a bit along with talking to the herders and our own people to see how 3 very one feels about he new situation.
>>
>>44927805
Supporting
Also if talking to the herders a free action. How about we make them better homes with logs to futher our relationships.
>>
>>44927697
>>44927805
I'll second it
>>
>>44928143
>>44927805
lets do it.
>>
>>44928038
Support
>>
>>44928038
Sounds good.
Talk to both parties herders and our people + Magic training.
>>
Alright, calling the votes!

In other news, does anyone think the x+yd10 system produces WAY too variable results? I'm thinking of re-balancing it...
>>
>>44929206

What were you thinking about re-balancing it to?
>>
>>44929206
You probably already know this but just to put it in simple terms for everyone:
(x+1)d10, where x is our skill level, gives us more potential to do something awesome, while still allowing us to fail miserably, with a pretty shit ratio between the two, that you think would be prevented with experience. IE: Level 5 skill (5d10) could get you anywhere between 5 and 50, which is absurdly low for a skill that's been trained to that point.
On the other hand, you have the 1d10+x system, where again x equals the skill level. This prevents absurd failures for things the player is experienced in, but allow constricts the max dc on a roll to the highest number on the die, or a few above for extremely difficult things. IE: Level 5 Skill (1d10+5), prevents us from crit failing, and allows a roll up o 15, pretty much guaranteeing a success, and in most cases, a crit. This could potentially lead to a massive amount of positive criticals with few failures. But that could be explained as your experience giving you an edge.

Either way, those two systems both have benefits and drawbacks. The most common (and the ones that generally work the best IMO) I've seen are base d20+x. Due to allowing high dc's and still having a realistic chance of failure even with a high skill level. That's just my two cents though.
>>
>>44929527
I'm sorry, it's a minor error but that first one should be (x)d10, not (x+1).
>>
>>44929527
Or you could potentially use a (y)d20+x system, where x is the skill level and y is some other significant modifier, but that could possibly be overpowered as shit and balanced by changing it to 1d20+x+y, or the slightly more OP version; 1d20+(xy)
>>
I just woke up from my own food coma and am I ready our next inetivtable success or failure.
>>
>>44929463
>>44929527
I was thinking somewhere along the lines of making your stats grant a static bonus, while your job is a die roll, or maybe the other way around. Like maybe if x=stat and y=job then
xd10+(y*4)?

Regardless, I need to remember not to play video games in between posts. RUINS my flow. Writing.
>>
>>44930184
What's the difference between stats and jobs? The formula seems like it would work, I just want to know what kind of values to test it with.
>>
A year has passed since the herders have come to your village and they've had plenty of time to speak with their ring about what they've experienced, so naturally you're curious if they've made a decision to stay or not. When you bring up the question with your semi-guests however, they make a lot of uncertain sounds. While you've certainly tried to do right by them and they can see that the village is totally self-sufficient in farming, they admit to missing their nomadic lifestyle and being unsure if settling is really the best choice. They ask for more time to make such a life-altering choice. In addition, they mention that a few of their kinsmen are curious and have asked if there is room in the village for any more.

How do you respond?
>Let the herders come as they wish
>Reject them, in case they are too much of a burden on the clan
>Only allow invite family of the current herders

In order to convince the herders to join your tribe, you will need a good reputation with them and also to have a clan and village who's achievements are enough to impress them.
>>
File: Stone tools.jpg (40KB, 800x392px) Image search: [Google]
Stone tools.jpg
40KB, 800x392px
>>44930274
Stats are your Strength, Speed, Wits, etc. basically your inherent talents. Jobs are expertise with a type of work. Class levels, essentially.

And traits provide additional bonuses, usually more complex than just raw numbers.
>>
>>44930603

If anyone in our clan gives any fuss about it say that it is going to increase our tribes prosperity to have access to the goats as well. There is plenty of room as long as the land cultivation goes well.
>>
>>44930603
>>
>>44930603
Are we helping them make log homes by the by?
>>
>>44930603
Let the headers come as they wish, but slowly so that there wont be such a strain on food. Integrate them by teaching them to farm and build the homes for them. Each year we can use the new workforce to add to fields and take on more herders each year.
>>
>>44930854
>>44930603
This.
>>
The herders recent home improvements as well as our experiment turning the crystal dust into paste gives me an idea. What if we try to improve on their idea and come up with a sturdier clay (eventually leading to clay bricks? Is that possible RWB?
>>
>>44930854
Seconding

>>44930641
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. That system seems like it would work, especially if stats are harder to obtain than Jon ranks.
>>
>>44930603
>>44930713
Seconding.
>>
>>44930854
This but an exchange of knowledge. Not just giving them tech. We should learn how to heard the animals, and I am sure they have another few things. Sharing of knowledge is good.
>>
>>44930915
They are. We've maybe had two stat increases since the quest began.
>>
>>44930641
While you're planning on retooling the dice system, how about that pastebin, eh?
>>
>>44930962
My bad, I should have used "since", not "if".

>>44931005
Also seconding
>>
dice system i propose is the one GURPS use

3d6+Modifiers

It will still allow crit fail and crit success on 3 and 18, 1% chance, while most rolls will fall in the range of 7-12

Modifiers will be very important on this kind of dice as most rolls will be average (if 4chan dice behaves like rl dice)

This will prevent failures on things we are skilled with while still presenting challenge on that skill
>>
>>44930768
They've started making their own. Based on the semi-permanent lodgings they keep at the places they stay as nomads. Woven-stick walls and mud mixed with straw, covered by light thatch roofs. Not like your houses at all, honestly, but about comparable.

>>44930901
You'd need some good clay first. The mud walls of the houses are good insulation, but not all that durable. The straw is mixed in to help bind it together.

>>44930915
>>44931005
I promise, I'll get around to it. I'll try and have it put together for the next thread. I'll even try to include rules in it too. God, it's going to be a complete mess. I'm not even sure of all the rules yet!
>>
The more herders come to your village, the easier it'll be to convince them that this is the way forward. You happily extend an open invitation via the herders, who begin to talk excitedly about bringing more of their flocks over as well. Sooner or later, just interacting with them is bound to teach your people the secret. Over the coming weeks, eight more herders arrive, bringing their goats with them and adding them to the pens. A handful of others show up as well to stay with the residents, but they drift in and out.

Beren tells you that the clan is starting to get mistrustful and divisive, with so many new strangers living among you...

It is still early fall. What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Other
>>
>>44931431
I'll be counting any votes come morning. Urgh, I need a few, guys. I'm starting to feel a bit rough.

See you all when the thread re-commences, or next time. Oh my god ow.
>>
>>44931431
>Ask Beren what she thinks we should to about the mistrust (free?)
>make something new (list options)
>>
>>44931431

> Ask Beren for assimilating the clans
> Do stopgap measures like doing some cultural exchange meetings between some of the people
> Keep opening farm like never before
> Make those pens too
> make some festivities or shit to ties together the two villages
> This also shows that we have more food than we can consume
> profit
>>
>>44931507
>>44931629
Supporting these
>>
>>44931431
The herders are trading/sharing with us correct? And doing their fair share, I assume this is a yes.
Have Beren try and ease tension around the camp as best she can.
Work on increasing Magic sight and telekinesis power/control.
We have to get that hunting up there. We have the god's blessing now we need to actually get good. Its will help us have a stronger position in our clan. If we can actually "see" what we are doing, and hunt effectively. And seen as a warrior/protector if danger comes along.

Also until our clan is fine with more people we should stop adding more people. Unless there is a major catastrophe or something.
>>
Rolled 10, 1, 10, 5, 4, 6 = 36 (6d10)

>>44931431
>Make offerings to Rhea
>Invite the most vocally distrustful and a handful of herders to come to Rhea's sacred place at the beginning of winter
>Suggest that the herders bring gifts and offerings to both Rhea and the tribe during said visit, things like spears or cloaks, to show thanks to the village for helping them adjust to living with us
>Ask Beren if she could convince the women of our tribe and the herders to prepare a big meal to share with everyone, right after the visit with Rhea

I'd like to swap craftsman with leader, and I'll roll because this is a big thing to ask of everyone involved
>>
>>44931629
>>44931936
these
>>
>>44931431
>>44931936
Rhea's the goddess of healing AND unity, correct? I'll second this, but swap hunter with leader since I don't see us hunting
>>
Rolled 3, 3, 7, 5, 9, 3 = 30 (6d10)

>>44932039
Forgot to roll
>>
>>44931826
supportan
>>
>>44931936
This all sounds good.
>>
Rolled 10, 10, 2, 4, 2, 3 = 31 (6d10)

>>44931936
>>44931629
>>44932039
>>44931507
this tho maybe ask Elia to make a carving of Rhea in his free time since he's seen her? that way we dont have to swap hunting w/ craftsmen and can train telekinesis like sarg suggested

also rolling leadership
>>
>>44932278
I agree, Elia should carve something since he's actually seen her. He's also not a terrible craftsman if I recall, he made that swank necklace that won Galit over
>>
>>44932278
Second.
>>
>>44932278
This, also sorry I missed the first pass
>>
>>44932278
This
>>
Maybe we should ask the elders to hold communal offerings to certain spirits? For example Isu for our fields and Maar for auroch hunts? People have been mostly indivdually contributing but wouldn't a group festival be more effective?
>>
Alright alright, I'm back. I may have the plague somewhat, but I'm back. Counting votes.
>>
>>44936146
Seconding. I think we should try and encourage festivals at times such as harvest, or stuff like day of the dead. Let's get some culture happening folks
>>
Beren proves herself absolutely invaluable in the coming weeks. Her clever tongue and sharp mind is in its element, drawing the clan together like stitching draws together hides. It is an element furthermore, that has never before existed. Your wife almost becomes the mother of politics, as she appeals to common interest, soothes fears and eases communication and idea sharing between the herders and your clan. If not for your own efforts at instigating this, you are certain that she would be remembered as the mother of the tribe and that may yet come to pass anyway! Still, your position of religious and magical authority is also helpful in uniting the clans.

Beren greets your proposal of a celebration in early winter with great enthusiasm and agrees with every point you have raised to support it. She does however insist that the exchange of gifts go both ways, between your clan and the herders. At your request, Elia begins work on a statue for Rhea, but he has trouble finding materials suitable for the size he has in mind. Your brother asks that you somehow find him something easy enough to work with, like bone, but solid and roughly the size of your head. The problem is, you know of nothing in the valley that fits such a description. Any rocks large enough are simply too hard. Wood might work, perhaps, but Elia claims the colour is wrong. You may need to find a way to look further afield.
>>
>>44937303
Your stopgap measures to unite the herders and your clan are bearing some fruit... At the very least, no-one is any MORE upset than they were. It's definitely Beren's efforts that are by far the more crucial however. You might be able to lead, but her ability to manipulate and let the people think it was their idea all along is unparalleled.

The clan is getting excited fro the promised festival. The sheer amount of food your able to produce now surpasses anyone's wildest expectations. The only slight downside is that the preparations and keeping the clan on an even keel has taken all the first half of the season.

Mesut would like a word with you. He seems happy with how things are going, but it looks like he wants to talk business.

It is now late fall and the harvest has started to come in. Unfortunately, the bad weather earlier in the year has harmed the fields.

The harvest this year is 30 units of food. You lost 1/6 of the harvest to bad weather. In addition to the leftovers from your hunting, you have a total of 31 food for the coming year. You will run short by 1 food in early fall.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Try to summon a new god
>Make offerings to a god
>Other
>>
>>44937574
Large field

We need atleast 30% more fields(12 units) to use as a buffer.
>>
>>44937574
Talk to Mesut after getting some more land for cultivation.
>>
I think I may have left this thread too long... Only two of you?
>>
>>44938298
I just woke up, voting for >>44938129
>>
>>44938129
Seconded
>>
>>44938129
Yeah sounds good.
How about we try and think of a way to get water to our plants. Even on dry days
Irrigation system
>>
>>44938595
Next turn I absolutely agree. If we try to do too many things at once we get punished for it.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>44938627
Except talking to Mesut shouldn't take a whole season.
We're important enough to get a "meeting" with him with in the day if we want to. And a chat about getting our people more food, and expanding shouldn't be to hard to push that we need several weeks of talks for him to convince our tribe to cultivate more land.
And we think of a way to make an irrigation system. Increase yield and prevents droughts some what. and over flooding from happening again.
>>44938595
rolling.
>>
Im heeeere
>>
>>44938129
This thing.
>>
There we go! Okay, calling votes and writing.
>>
>>44938927
RWB, what's our inventory? Do we have anything for what Elia is looking for? Can he spend this turn finding the material. Oh, how about he pray to the forest god and rock god for the material?
>>
>>44939453
I'll second that.
>>
>>44939453
this
>>
>>44939453
Uhm... Sadly, no. No you don't. You'll need to find or maybe trade for something is what I was getting at. You could ask the gods for something though, or take another approach, but in the interests of full disclosure... Do you think the gods would take well to being asked for something that was going to be given to another god?

Equipment:
Javelins
Flint fishing spear
Flint spear
Hide pants
Hide tunic
Goatskin jacket
Sling
Wolf-claw knife
Fine Shaman’s Staff
Fishing net

Belongings:
A few great wolf’s teeth
Fine Charm of Healing
A few fine-quality animal bones
>>
>>44939513
Hand Elia our wolf teeth and have him trade with the Strangers for the material he's looking
>>
>>44939627
This, though maybe offer one or two fine bones as well?
>>
>>44939513
Tell Elia to trade our wolf claw knife for trade, or barring that suggest Elia trade a spear with the Strangers
>>
>>44939627
Second, either this or this >>44939710
>>
>>44939513
>Do you think the gods would take well to being asked for something that was going to be given to another god?
"Hey Allah, I was thinking of getting God a gift, and I thought you could give me some gift giving advice for a guy who created everything, sees everything, and knows all that was, is, and ever will be."
>>
>>44939627
this, lets not offend the gods
>>
>>44939627
>>44939710
seconding
>>
Alright alright. Writing! Sorry that took so long, everyone! I had another thing I was gripped by inspiration for and had to slam out.
>>
File: 1403802447754.jpg (19KB, 274x183px) Image search: [Google]
1403802447754.jpg
19KB, 274x183px
>>44941002
I see, it's okay, I'm perfectly fine if we come in last place for your attention. No hard feelings here.
>>
Anyone else thinking that when/if Sera is finished with her apprenticeship, we should consider allowing Ebba to learn from her god mother (oof)? I feel like that's only fair

Also, hope to see an omake of Sera in the Deep Wyld traveling and hunting with Soqed's pack. That'd be rad as fuck
>>
>>44941605
I'd support this.
>>
File: I need a hug.gif (152KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
I need a hug.gif
152KB, 400x267px
>>44941131
I'm so sorry ;_; I can't help it! And now I'm so tired and cold but I need to do this for you all. I'm sorry.

You have a lot to do this season. The harvest is coming too, so you will have significantly less people to do it with as well. But adversity has never stopped you in the past and it's not about to now! First, the statue. You give Elia your only wealth; the animal bones Mesut bequeathed to you and the teeth of Soqed, the last trophies from that hunt, so long ago.
"I can't get you what you need," you explain to him, "But there are others who might. The herders roam far and wide outside the valley. Maybe they can bring you back something for next year? I know it's not now, but still... We have to do what we can." He thanks you for the gift and promises to leave immediately, but you correct him. "I wish I could give it as a gift Elia, but you're mistaken. This is for the sake of Rhea and the gods."
"But it is a gift, he argues with a smile." By making something to honour her, I show Rhea my piety and maybe that'll reflect on Galit! I don't think you understand how much the hope you gave means to us, brother."

Next, the fields need expanding. You never thought you'd need more than what you have, but the year's poor weather still shows you to be at the mercy of the elements. Maybe you just haven't been giving Isu, goddess of the valley her due..? Well regardless, you need to secure your people against want. The first step of that is larger fields, but you know ultimately this is a stop-gap measure. Honestly, your production of grain is starting to out-strip your ability to store it!

You have 8 labour points available. The harvest season has the entire clan working almost non-stop, so you'll be pressed to find those with time and energy. Your land is unsurveyed.
>Small field - 5 points
>Large field - 12 points
>Smoke house - 10 points
>>
>>44942337
>>Small field - 5 points
we can later turn it into a Large field correct? Also dont worry about it. Real Life comes first.
>>
>>44942337
>Smoke house - 10 points
>>
>>44942337
>Smoke house - 10 points
We can't do it all this season, but I'd like to make a smoke house since we're exceeding how much grain we can store. So let's put down 8 labour points down for a smoke house, and spend 2 to finish it off when we aren't busy.
>>
Also I have an idea, we must figure out how to make simple rafts. Then we head up river and cut down many trees and build a simple raft out of them. We travel back down the river and sell/use the materials as we wish that the raft is made out of and is carrying.
>>
>>44942440
No, you can't upgrade them. There are a few buildings you CAN upgrade, but fields aren't them.

If there was a danger of running out of space, you could demolish something to be more efficient, but let's be honest; there is no WAY you can fill up all this space in Trym's lifetime.
>>
>>44942337
>Smoke house - 10 points
>>
>>44942337
second
>>44942481
>>
>>44942337
>Smoke house - 10 points
>>
Votes pretty conclusively called. I'll write as soon as my body stops telling me I am dying...
>>
>>44943064
don't push yourself too hard there mate
>>
>>44943075
Literally every muscle in my body aches, even the ones that adjust my eye focus. I'm shivering cold and also burning up. Eating is joyless and even painful. I'm so tired.

I think I need to lie down with a washcloth over my eyes, folks. If I can wake up again, I'll be back in a little while. Just need a short rest...
>>
>>44943385
Relax man, see a doctor if you need to but for the love of god take a break.
>>
>>44943415
It's just a cold. I'll be back in 30 minutes...

Just... 30 minutes.
>>
>>44943451
RIP
>>
>>44943451
RWB is dead.
>>
>>44943451
Rest In Pepperoni.
>>
Rolled 50 (1d100)

>>44943451
roll determines how many hours until RWB gets back
>>
Rolled 9 (1d52)

>>44948531
How many weeks you mean.
>>
>>44948652
rip quest, it will be missed.
>>
>>44943385
Legit could be tonsillitis or some other infection senpai
>>
>>44943451
RIP Thread hope you're still alive OP.
>>
>>44948531
>>44948652
>>44948729
hurr hurr lookit you all, you're all so funny...

Alright let's fucking do this, at least for a few more hours. You want your QM, you get your QM, but keep in mind I feel worse than I slept and I slept like shit. Mercy is in short supply.
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

>>44956655
Rolling for anal circumference
>>
As agriculture has grown in importance, your people have been hunting less and less to sustain themselves and more to simply bring variety to their diets. Likewise, fishing has served the same purpose. But as your numbers grow, both through your planned addition of the herders and eventually the strangers, as well as your own children growing and starting families of their own, you're aware that you will have a greater need. Add to that, the sheer convenience of the slowly growing herd means that meat is soon to make a comeback and your own small fire-pit smokers just aren't going to be enough. It's time to build something more capable of handling the quantities you'll need.

Sadly, as so much of your clan is occupied with the harvest this season, you only can gather roughly half the support you would otherwise be able to. Using the herder's techniques, you start to lay the foundation of a building, but the difficulties of keeping the fire and smoke contained without simply lighting the whole thing on fire, go unresolved as gathering the grain is simply more important to your people. They may trust you on spiritual matters, but in practical concerns, their own judgement comes first, it seems.
>>
>>44956655
aww, you don't have to do this mate. You can just let this die off if you're super sick. Go see a doctor, drink fluids, and get plenty of rest. It's not worth participating if you aren't at least having some measure of enjoyment too.
>>
>>44957401
This, Quests have went offline for a week for far less than a genuine sickness. Please rest
>>
R&R is for pussies. I'll get you guys through at least one more season before I keel over.
>>44957176
Just as you expected, Mesut visits you as the harvest is starting to conclude. After you've welcomed him into your home and the nigh-obligatory smalltalk is out of the way, he brings up the reason for wanting to talk to you.
"It's looking more likely that you might actually be able to pull this off," he nods, looking into the fire and frowning. Mesut has god no younger, even as you have aged too. You can't see if his hair is starting to turn grey, but he stoops more these days and lacks a little of the urgent energy that he had before. His hot temper has cooled as well, perhaps partly thanks to your intervention when his hunters and the elders nearly came to blows.
"The herders want to be part of something greater," you agree, "And we have a great deal to learn from them."
"True. Having meat readily to hand will be a welcome change to having to run after it. We're both getting to the point where that's not so much fun anymore, huh?" Mesut barks a laugh, but then grows business-like again. "But it's going to come with its own problem, you realise."
"I know," you sigh. "Already there's problems with everyone getting along. Beren is helping with that though."
Mesut nods to Beren and smiles. "Mmh. You've been a great help making sure no-one strangles anyone, Beren. Trym was lucky to be bound to you."
"More than he has any idea," she laughs, kissing your cheek.
>>
>>44957604
"But that is just the start," Mesut sighs. "Their ring, for instance... If they join us, what then? Will the ring decide their affairs and the elders ours? That's just going to lead to problems. Eventually, this tribe you're forming will pull itself apart. You could try and lead, but... I mean no offense cousin, but you scare people. I know you use magic to 'see' but do you know how that feels? Whenever you walk past it's like lots of tiny hands are patting at everyone around you and speaking to you..." He trails off, shrugging.
You never really thought about it before, but your spirit-hands must indeed be tangible to others... Which means to identify people and emotions, you're effectively pawing at their face with invisible hands all the time... Couple that with your blackened arm and sightless eyes and it's small wonder the village is a little scared of you. It's a wonder you don't terrify your own children!

"I... Hadn't thought about it that way."
Mesut grunts affirmatively and seems a little awkward. It seems bringing this up with you must be something of an unspoken taboo among the clan. "Cousin, your ability to speak with the gods and use their magic is powerful and useful, but no-one really trusts you. Your very gifts make you... Strange. I don't think you could really lead us in your state."
"But once the tribes are united, Rhea will restore my sight-!" you begin, but Mesut shakes his head.
"Even then, the memories will linger. It has to be someone else." He leans forward, his hands on his knees and looks at your bandaged eyes, determined and unafraid. "Cousin, I want you to support me as chief. I may be getting older, but I am still the best hunter. My family is trusted, as we make sure no-one hoards grain. My son is strong and sensible and can carry on after I am dead or too old. Will you give me your help, for the sake of the tribe you want to build?"
>>
>>44957674
How will you answer?
>I will support you then, for the sake of the tribe.
>I trusted you with the grain and I trust you now, cousin. Of course I'll support you!
>I will not support you. I fear you are too unused to power.
>Sorry cousin, but I will not support you. I have my own plans.
>It's too soon to answer. I'll have to see if there's any more suited first.
>>
>>44957674
>>44957691
So Mesut is willing to lead when he knows things are working out, is that it? We do all the work, and he reaps the benefits? Listen guys, I know some of you were willing to support Mesut, but this is low even for him.
>>
>>44957691
"provided you take me as an advisor cousin, I will support you"
>>
>>44957691
>>I will not support you. I fear you are too unused to power.
>>More then that, I do not fully trust you with that power. It was you cousin that nearly drove this clan apart, and it was I who brought it together. Do you think so little of me cousin that you think I cannot lead when times are tough? People did not think much of me then, either.
>>
>>44957691
>>I will not support you. I fear you are too unused to power.
>>
>>44957711
I say that we argue for our two families to intermarry, the first born of this shall lead. Then we take control of that person and we are in control.

OR we say "fuck that shit" and try to put ourselves into a position of power, leading the tribe and see our children lead. Or we instantly give control to one of our children and back them up ourselves, we would teach them magic and introduce them to all of the gods at that holy place where we can gather them easily. If we take this approach, where either we or our children lead we must ask who inherits that power, that responsibility. We must make them well like in the tribe to let them be successful.
>>
>>44957711
>>44957747
>>44957758
Do we really want to be bogged down running the tribe? we have time to experiment currently which we'll most likely lose, and our voice is influential as it stands
>>
>>44957785
I would really like to Trym to step up, yes. I also do not want Mesut to take advantage of us on the premises that we are unfit to rule, given his past behavior. He's helped us, let us help him in leading.
>>
>>44957785
But we want power, we need power, The tribe runs it self currently and we can keep it that way by being smart. Setting up codes of law, using our family to handle situations of minor importance and such. Trust me we need this power or else in future we will need to revolt. So ask your self this, 20 people might die to see us gain power now, in few lifetimes, it would be hundreds after that we might never get another chance.
>>
>>44957814
*by taking the lead
>>44957780
Personally, I say fuck that shit. I like Mesut, and he has been fair in sharing the grain but it seems like every time we manage to achieve something worth while he's willing to take full responsibility for it. I'd like us to take responsibility for a change, not just for power but because I feel like we can lead.
>>
>>44957691
>>I trusted you with the grain, can you extend similar trust to me when I say I can lead?
>>
>>44957859
I agree, honestly i was against giving mesut control of the grain to begin with. Honestly if we had control of that we would already have control of the tribes
>>
>>44957691
>>44957874
this.
>>
>>44957874
Second, I want to see if Mesut is willing to trust us on this.
>>
>>44957874
Do we need to roll to convince Mesut to take us at our word? A leadership roll, perhaps?
>>
Such lively discussion~

Alright, should I call the votes now, or let you talk some more?

Muahahaha! Dance, my puppets! Dance to the tune of your master!
>>
>>44958057
what this guy said
>>44957940
>>
>>44958084
I have a feeling any form of no, even 'no, trust us to do it brother' is going to fall on deaf ears. I hope I'm wrong though
>>
>>44957691
>I trusted you with the grain and I trust you now, cousin. Of course I'll support you!
>>
Meant is going to push for chief no matter what happens here, this just determines whether we sat and with him. If we agree it will be much easier for him to get into power, but I don't think he should be able to reap everything we work for. Just try to intermarry or something like the one anon said.
>>
>>44958057
I feel like nearly an hour is enough for discussion.
>>
>>44957940
>>44958084
You'll have to see after you pick that option. IF you pick that option.

>>44958141
Hmmm, okay. Votes called. Let's destroy some dreams.
>>
>>44958131
If Mesut brings it up, I'll certainly consider it, though honestly I don't really think he likes our family all that much given he never considered the idea our kids could lead in our place.
>>
>>44958155
ah, well, consider me >>44957940
a vote for that then. I just wanted to know if we should roll up front or something
>>
>>44958164
The fact that he's even asking us shows that he considers us a person of power. Even if he personally doesn't like us or our family, if getting us on his side means he can lead even in the interim with no conflict, I think he'll take it.
>>
>>44958200
I think it is rather he is afraid, we are one of the few to have ever stood up against him and are a threat to his rule.

Honestly, i think we could rule and would have the support of the tribe for it but if you guys push for something else i will deal with it
>>
We could just push for a council with like 3 members from every tribe. Totaling 9 members once we integrate the strangers.
>>
>>44958210
Yeah, I don't know, it's hard to gauge his intentions. I believe RWB at one point mentioned Mesut does things because he genuinely thinks he's doing the right thing by doing them. So in all likelihood he probably thinks that it will help everyone if he and his family leads. It's my hope we can convince him differently, that we can be a capable leader even if people aren't entirely fond of us.

Also, while Mesut's intentions are probably all well and good, it is pretty shit of him to offer to lead as soon as he felt we had something worth leading, irregardless of whether he honestly think he's the best to lead.
>>
>>44958231
A fair point but we would still not be in complete control, if we could make the other councillors elect us to rule then i might agree but not with the possibility of losing in the long term, we need to be in a position where we can only lose power by war or death of all out family
>>
>>44958266
We also can't be sure of the quality of his family a few generations from now, what we can say is that we will have perfect control over our children and therefore the future rulers
>>
>>44958231
The only problem I could see is that what you're talking about resembles the clan ring of the herders, and some people might not go for that. We also haven't even broached that with the Strangers, and they are very much a 'might makes right' sort of clan.
>>
>>44958266
You know who else thought he was doing the right thing and thought he was the only one fit to rule? Hitler.
>>
>>44958383
Mesut's Law is in effect.
>>
>>44958287
>>44958308
We could try to make a theocratic system with each tribe sending(whether through election or challenges) a few councilors, and have us above them as the speaker of the gods.
>>
>>44958457
well yeah, but none of that will happen if Mesut's the one in charge. We can attempt to get in his good graces and bind our clan together and ultimately try to subvert him later, either by ourselves or proxy, or we can make our intentions clear now and deal with the consequences.
>>
>>44958457
I could live with this but i want to be certain we never lose power, if there is even a minor threat of it then we can't let it happen
>>
>>44958530
We're going to die eventually. No matter how hard we try there are going to be ups and downs, shit will hit the fan, and we will lose everything. We can either take a system that allows us to repeatedly have our kids come into power or we can try to pull some supreme leader plan out of our ass and probably fail. Basically, absolute power is not feasible at this point.

>>44958526
I say we give a plan for a council with us as god speaker, and make sure he knows that he'll most likely end up with a seat on said council.
>>
>>44958591
Aye it will have to do i guess for now, i still feel we must concentrate power in us
>>
>>44958591
Absolute power is exactly what Mesut is asking though, or the closest thing to it. He's even considering a primogenitor-type of rulership. If we let Mesut rule, then he's going to want his son to rule, and so on and so forth. So we can allow Mesut to try and pull a supreme ruler on us and lose out on any chance of putting your system that you want set in place to succeed for at least several generations or we can step up and rule for now until we have our system set in place.
>>
>>44958687
That's why we ARE NOT giving him power now. Why the fuck would I continuously push for a council and then give Mesut absolute power?
>>
>>44958739
I'm sorry, you've mentioned wanting to cooperate with Mesut about getting a council going and I was like 'but Mesut doesn't want that' and I thought you were continuing to push for his cooperation even knowing that all he wants is for us to support him in leading.
>>
So to sum up current discussion;

1) Mesut is gaining no more power off our back

2) We want as much power as possible and if at all possible for it to transfer to our children

3) We really, REALLY don't want mesut to have power of any kind, especially hereditary.

4) A council of 3 form each tribe could work but only if we can overrule them

5) A god-king-priest approach is the other possibility.

6) We intermarry mesut and then gain complete control that way by killing off all his children except for those we can transfer MC-ship to in order to gain power

anything i missed?
>>
>>44958814
I don't know about the bullet points 2, 5 and 6, but I do agree with the rest.
>>
>>44958814
RWB must be so happy to see us argue like this.
>>
>>44958814
Also, we can probably sway Mesut into agreeing with point 4 if we let him know how likely it is for him to get picked as a council representative. After all, he is one of the most prominent members of the clan.
>>
>>44958926
>>44958814
Jesus fucking Christ, guys... I love it! I don't even have to DO anything to fuck with you anymore!

"You're right, cousin. You are trusted because of your management of the grain. And it was I that gave you that trust when I introduced our people to farming."
"So you'll support me then? Cousin, believe me; I accept that you were right about uniting the tribes. I honestly should have supported you earlier, but I do not want your effort to go to waste-"
"No, I will not support you, Meust."
A log collapses in the fire, sending a spray of sparks up, before they are stifled by the smoke.
"...Why not?"
"A number of reasons, honestly," you reply. "First, you're not used to power. I haven't forgotten how your actions very nearly split one clan in two, much less a whole tribe-"
"That was years ago, cousin!" sighs Mesut. "You know full well that I'm not that person anymore."
"Secondly," you continue without missing a beat, "You have little stake in the tribe's unity. Beren and I did the work, but moreover, a leader from just a single clan will fracture the unity before it even has time to form."
"Ours would be the clan hosting this unity and bearing the greatest burden of it," Mesut contends, "And of our clan, I'm the most capable of leading. You can't have missed how irrelevant the elders have been of late? They're far too set in their ways to adapt to change."
"And finally," you conclude, "Just as I trusted you to see to it our clan is fairly fed and no-one hoards food from others, I now ask for your trust. Unsettling I may be, but I ask for your trust, Mesut. Trust that I can lead the tribe."

>Roll 3d10+12 (Charisma +Leader)
>Yay for testing new systems?
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 3 + 12 = 17 (3d10 + 12)

I'm scared
>>
>>44959126
DONT FUCK THIS UP GUYS
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 2 + 12 = 16 (3d10 + 12)

>>44959126
>>
>>44959164
Well, we are fucked

YOU FUCK IT UP ANON, YOU HEAR YOU FUCKED IT UP.

Okay plan B we are going to have to remove mesut from power seeing as he won't support us now, assuming the rest of the rolls go that bad
>>
Rolled 5, 8, 7 + 12 = 32 (3d10 + 12)

>>44959126
PLs dont die
>>
>>44959191
hey, so did he
>>44959188

thankfully >>44959202 comfy came in with the save
>>
>>44959221
and by save, I mean he rolled better then we could. So here's hoping a 32 is enough
>>
>>44959241
It better be it is 32 out of 42 as a max roll with modifiers or 76.2% of the possible roll if rounded
>>
>>44959164
fuck
>>44959191
FUCK
>>44959202
holy fucking shit thank Awak
>>
>>44959280
Any bets that Awak is going to show up for our first feast? Out of all of the gods, I bet he's the party crasher.
>>
>>44959365
Nah, i think the bear, honey is a luxury we would have there and he likes honey.
>>
>>44959414
I could see the bear doing that. He seems like the Chaotic Good character.
>>
>>44959449
Nah, to me he seemed neutral, he taught the strangers how to get him honey more effectively and has made no requests of us. Honestly we have interacted with him twice and one of those two times was in the first thread
>>
>>44959164
>>44959188
AAAAHAHAHA! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh man, first time with a new system and THIS is the result-?! Oh man, this is just too-

>>44959202
Fuck, had to come and ruin my fun, didn't you?

Well two can play at that game motherfucker. I think three days of one thread is more than enough, don't you?

We'll see the thrilling conclusion of all this politicking NEXT TIME!

Yes I'm fully aware this make me a liar. God I am just nothing but trash, aren't I?

I'm not actually mad, it's just this was the perfect spot to make a cliffhanger anyway and I have chores I need to do today. As fun as you guys are, my place is starting to resemble Oscar the Grouch's summer home.

>>44959365
>>44959414
whynotboth.jpg
>>
>>44959492
haha clutch save at the end! At anyrate, you take care RWB!
>>
>>44959492
Hopefully it doesn't smell like Oscar's summer home. In any case, thanks for the thread RWB, was good fun and lots of discussion was had. Looking forward to seeing how our new festival will turn out.
>>
>>44959548
Not since that one time I left the dishes too long.

Yeah, that's not happening again. EVER. I still have nightmares - that shit grew more of a culture than America. Where is my damn dish soap? I am FANATICAL about keeping my damn house clean since that time.
>>
>>44959492
Should be good.
>>44959907
Yeah shit happens. x.x Gotta stay on that, I feel like if that ever happens to me. I'd throw away all my dishs/pots and just buy new ones. since I could replace most of the essentials with like 200$
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.