[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Leaks and Reprints

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: I got wood.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
I got wood.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
MTG Traders may be getting insider information regarding which cards wizards of the coast reprints
manaleak com/mtguk/2016/01/did-mtg-traders-have-inside-knowledge-of-the-splinter-twin-ban-and-a-eternal-masters-set/
>>
>>44882443
>star of david games
strangely enough I saw this coming
>>
>>44882443
this is fucked
>>
>>44882443
Information leaks and WotC? No?
(Deep Sarcasm).
>>
>>44882509
>OY VEY
>>
>>44882443
Legit?
>>
>>44882443
What I want to know is, if the vendors are getting leaks, are they getting them from a corrupt employee or are they getting them from wizards in closed door meetings
>>
Eternal master please be real
>>
>>44886543

You think Wizards is cooperating with the singles market in secret, to keep prices high?

At this point it wouldn't surprise me at all.
>>
>>44887395
if any vendor were discussing it, it'd likely be CFB (because of how deep in bed Scott-Vargas is with WotC) or a larger distro like Maher's company.
>>
>>44887395
They've printed a mint with Modern Masters twice now. Wizards directly profits from price inflation and that's likely fueling their approach to modern.
>>
Would these be Modern legal??
>>
>>44887616
Didn't CFB organize the GP where the alleged overheard conversation happened as well?
>>
>Star of David Games General Manager
>Try to pilpul his way out of this

OY VEY
>>
If Wizards wants to stop the leaks, they need to stop giving God Books to people outside the fucking company.
>>
>>44888425
>implying even the people IN the company would shut up all the time
>>
I know I'm going to be called a shill, but that guy seriously sounds like he guessed the bans almost correctly and then decided to take the time to troll the shit out of everyone by making a bunch of shit up. If Eternal Masters is real I'll believe him, but otherwise I'm just proud of how far this guy went to assblast everyone.
>>
>>44887771
Only if they're already legal in the format. It won't make Wasteland or Force of Will legal if they're printed for instance, but if they reprint the Zen fetches you can use those.
>>
>>44889338
This, his comment said an amulet ban, he hasn't actually gotten anything right besides the wild guess of twin.
>>
>>44892096
What else has he claimed?
Isn't the twin and amulet ban the only things that can be seen as correct, so far? An nothing else has been disproved, as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>44892273

Technically the combo piece that was banned was Summer Bloom rather than Amulet.
>>
Reminder that not a single card from Twin or Bloom spiked recently despite prices going insane.
>>
IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN TO ME HOW WIZARDS MAKES MONEY

ANY PROFIT AT ALL

FROM THIRD PARTIES SELLING SINGLES TO PEOPLE INSTEAD OF THOSE PEOPLE HAVING TO BUY BOOSTERS, THEN I WILL LISTEN TO YOUR STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORY
>>
>>44894477
>"Give me money and we'll tell you what we're going to reprint, ban, and unban."

Not so much Wizards, but individuals at Wizards. And if you're asking why Wizards don't just reprint valuable cards in boosters to sell more of those boosters, then I'd fucking love to hear your view on it because so far as I can see, there's absolutely zero reason.
>>
>>44894477
Wizards as a company? No, but people who work for Wizards, easy money.
>>
>another reprint set
>cards I can't afford will get new printings which I still can't afford
>boosters will be overpriced; everything important will be rare or mythic
>short production run means I can't save up and buy more of it later
>literally nothing changes
>again
I'd rather have another un-set.
>>
>>44894549
Apparently I'm a retard, because I don't get it. HOW do they make money doing this? If a card costs say $50 instead of $5, and I'm a wizards employee, how do I profit off of this card? Are you suggesting that the MTG marketing team is selling singles on the side?
>>
>>44894583
Wizards employees can basically take dodgy money from places like SCG and ChannelFireball to leak information regarding what will be banned or unbanned in advance. This allows those places to offload cards like Splinter Twin and Primeval Titan early so they don't lose money, and allows them to stock up on cards that will most likely be good after the bans/unbans, like how Tron/Affinity/Burn are about to destroy the format. Gaddock Teek spiked up to $50 because he's a sideboard card in Burn against Tron. Burnwillows spiked up because it's an essential Tron card. Ravagers spiked up because they're Ravagers. Scapeshift spiked up because the deck can actually perform in the face of those three decks.

All the price spikes you've seen over the last month are basically SCG pre-emptively making money off the new metagame before it happens.
>>
>>44894688
Holy FUG that'd explain all the weird buyouts
>>
>>44894738
Well no fucking shit Sherlock you've finally got it.
>>
>>44882443
I'll quit magic if this is true
>>
>>44894688
This is kinda deplorable
>>
>>44896045
And, I believe, illegal. But nobody cares because "Lol, who would spend that much on a kids' card game?"
>>
>>44892315
I fully believe that was a last second switch. Bloom hits THAT deck whereas Vigor would have hindered the playstyle. Vigor seems like the better ban because it addresses the underlying issue amulet bloom represented.
>>
>>44894477
Because those cards aren't in print so Wizards isn't LOSING any sale. When the prices are driven so high that a reprint sells out due to basic economics for a handful of value cards, Wizards rolls in the dough.

The high prices of singles inflate the value of the packs themselves, even when most of them are 15 useless cards for the format it's being printed for, which drives demand.

WHY ARE WE YELLING ABOUT THIS.
>>
File: 185[1].png (36KB, 185x179px) Image search: [Google]
185[1].png
36KB, 185x179px
>>44896174
Would be nice if YELLINGBIRD still tripped here...
>>
>>44896086
It's an artificial market and we can barely regulate the real ones. It's certainly something you fire people over and WIZARDS will definitely be able to sue them for damages, but it's not illegal outside contract agreements.
>>
If Wizards is coordinating with SCG to increase profits by letting them know what is about to be banned isn't that tantamount to insider trading, which is highly illegal?
>>
>>44896086
The law is still the law, if there's any concrete proof of this then WoTC is gonna get btfo. They're not a fortune 500 company so they can't attempt to throw money at the inquiry/litigation, and they're not a small business so they can't pull the "stop being mean to us" card. They're a moderately sized business which is the worst place they could possibly be.
>>
>>44896500
But it's a children card game, nobody cares about 100$ pieces of cardboards in real life.
>>
File: 1255028561266.png (40KB, 142x165px) Image search: [Google]
1255028561266.png
40KB, 142x165px
>>44887771

imagine:
>conspiracy cards are now modern legal
>tfw swords to plowshares intead of path
>>
File: 1446769941593.jpg (31KB, 436x402px) Image search: [Google]
1446769941593.jpg
31KB, 436x402px
>>44882443
Fuck that kike Ben Bleiweiss. BEN BLEIWEISS WORKED WORK FOR WIZARDS.

And now he's the head of Kike City Game's financial series.

It's not even a joke. If you don't think that there isn't insider trading going on, you have your head in the sand.
>>
>>44894757
U seem disgruntled
>>
>>44896633
WotC is owned by a publicly traded parent company, Hasbro, they exchange stocks on the open market. Insider trading is still illegal and its still a serious crime.
>>
>>44896500
Anon, there are no laws regulating the secondary market of a children's card game.
>>
>>44896863
This isn't stocks. It's trading cards.
>>
>>44896500
Insider trading deals with trading in stocks. What Wizards and SCG do is a form of "price fixing", which is defined as a conspiracy between two companies to set or alter the price of a commodity and is a prosecutable Federal offense under antitrust laws. If someone could find hard evidence of the conspiracy we all know exists and could pony up the money, it's triple damages and you recoup the legal fees (in some cases).

It would probably have to be WPN stores, one or more, which could demonstrate that collusion has in some way caused them financial damage.

I am not an attorney. If memory serves it's generally good to make that clear in case some Muppet mistakes this for legal counsel. Stranger shit has happened.
>>
>>44894477
Where do you think do singles dealers get their cards?
By buying a shitton of product, ripping open the packs and selling the content.
In order to get better prices for the cards, they also promote the game. Higher demand means higher prices.

How does Wizards make money? By selling product to dealers and selling product to customers. And a lot of customers get recruited through dealer-driven promotions.

Now, if Wizard started to reprint high-value cards, the singles dealers woudl lose a lot of money. Selling Magic would become a lot more dangerous, because the value of a card could crash through reprinting. And thus, buying product and promoting the game would become less attractive, thus losing Wizards sales.

Making Tarmo a Mythic in MM never was about the collectors. Wizards doesn't really give a shit about collectors. If they did, they'd produce actually product armed at them, like Super Special Edition Ultra Lotusses or some shit. It's about preserving the money of the secondary sellers.
>>
>>44897127
In my experience, judges usually don't want to deal with bullshit cases about children's toys. In the mindset of most judges, it's stupid shit that keeps them from actually important cases and both sides should just fuck off and die in a fire. So they deliver half-assed work and in the end, both sides either settle out of court or are somehow both worse off than before.
>>
>>44897127
>If someone could find hard evidence of the conspiracy we all know exists

#cardgamergate
#notyourdefender

sounds like a job for Vivian Games, QC and a Daily Dose of Ethics
>>
>>44897247
Then you must have met shitty judges. The judges and former judges I'VE known would treat it the same way as any antitrust litigation, mostly handing off the workload to the small army of people working for the court in various capacities not because they're unprofessional but because they're swamped by cases.

The real problem is demonstrating that a conspiracy exists and that damage has been caused, which at present nobody outside of Wizards and SCG effectively can do.
>>
>>44897362
>which at present nobody outside of Wizards and SCG effectively can do.

Until somebody somebody pissed enough breaks into Ben Bleiweiss' email and leaks everything, causing mass mayhem
>>
File: ehm_no.gif (2MB, 233x131px) Image search: [Google]
ehm_no.gif
2MB, 233x131px
>>44897205
Almost nobody would have had any problems with Tarmo beeing rare in MM. Except Speculators and single dealers. But they shouldn't be the ones the product is printed for.
>>
>>44897362
I don't know, from my experiences judges just have incredibly shitty attitudes when it comes to game companies, but then again, my experiences are pretty west-US centric.
>>
>>44897414
>Except Speculators and single dealers.
Yeah. That's what I said.

>But they shouldn't be the ones the product is printed for.
Unfortunately, it is. It's mostly printed for the hyper casual mass that buys boosters just for buying boosters, and single dealers that drive events and sales. As for speculators, if Wizards could help it they'd all kill themselves because they eat into same niche as the singles dealers, but without providing support for the game.

Dealer support is also the reason why LCGs will never take off like CCGs. There's just no incentive for the secondary market to promote them the same way, since the company printing the cards will always make the most cash.
>>
>>44897385
Actually, if the case is brought to civil court and Bleiweiss is not named specifically as a defendant, the exclusionary rule wouldn't apply because illegally gathered evidence is admissible in civil court if it's gathered by a private party, or if it's gathered from a third party.

So although it is quite illegal it would technically work. It'd just look bad. This is still not legal counsel, and I am not advising anyone to commit any crime.

>>44897416
West coast here, naw. I don't know specifically how they treat game companies, but most judges are professionals. The problem really is an excess of cases, especially in major cities, and if the evidence is all laid out clearly the court as an entity tends to get things right in spite of any personal attitudes or opinions of its individual components.
>>
>>44896750
I'm actually inclined to believe him in this instance. Not because I think he's innocent of all wrongdoing, mind you, but because SCG stands to profit the most if one of their major competitors (Say, CFB, for instance) gets implicated in this. GP Oakland was a CFB event, not an SCG one, so it would make sense for them to not be there, and that gives them plausible deniability.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.