[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duragon Doguma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 14

File: latest[1].jpg (296KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
296KB, 1280x720px
Would you run/play a game in this setting, /tg/?

>Ancient world locked in a cycle of Armageddon and reincarnation
>the decrepit ruins of past civilizations dot the landscape
>Where there is no law there are bandits (sometimes less than an hours walk from the capital!), where there are no bandits there are monsters
>contact with other nations is sporadic because the sea's is ruled by a red fog monster called the Brine that consumes anyone who falls into it's grasp
>Players are or interact regularly with Pawns/Myrmidons, emotionless caricatures of humans that exist only to follow orders and fight
>wander too far afield and you will find the Wind is Pushing You
>>
>>44854663
>The world is actually multidimensional, many parallel worlds layered atop each other, and only Pawns can travel between them
>'God' or The Seneschal may or may not be an inter-dimensional alien
>Elves may exist, but none are known in Gransys
>The Eternal Cycle is pretty crazy
>Like seriously, don't look up spoilers if you haven't played it and intend to
>>
File: Dragons-Dogma-Demo-3[1].jpg (651KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dragons-Dogma-Demo-3[1].jpg
651KB, 1280x720px
>>44854753
>>
File: Dragons-Dogma1[1].jpg (311KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dragons-Dogma1[1].jpg
311KB, 1280x720px
>>44854864
>>
>>44854663
Dragon's Dogma was a fantastic game, but I'm not sure many GMs could pull it off.

The raw temptation of the Dragon's deal is one of them as most players would have already attacked the dragon before it started talking.

Plus, the idea of the senescal thing is that being the intangible master of life and death is hellish due to the inability to interact with ANYONE. Having a group in that role kind of removes a lot of that problem.
>>
>>44854972
to my mind the solution is to not let any of the PC's be Arisen. Either they're normal humans or, as I prefer, pawns who find themselves mysteriously becoming more human despite the lack of a Sacrifice.
>>
>That guy turns up with his slutty waifu character sheet.
>Ogre dance intensifies
>>
File: 1389631237969.jpg (483KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1389631237969.jpg
483KB, 800x600px
>One player is the arisen
>another player his pawn
>the other players play different pawns from the rift and change their characters every session
Because else I don't see why you need to play in this world. Aside from the big twist it's generic fantasy world #3234 and you might as well homebrew this twist into your own setting.
>>
>>>/vg/
>>
>>44855249
ogre dance?
>>
>>44854663
>Duragon Doguma
It's doragon you EOP
>>
>>44855876

Ogres in Dragon's dogma hate females for some unspecified reason. Hate or /really really like/
>>
>>44855840
The question is, is the Setting worthwhile to set a RPG in it?
The answer is no.
So question solved, if people want to discuss the Setting more they should move to vg.
>>
>>44855893
The latter. Their cheeks are flushing red and it's clearly a dance of joy.
>>
>>44854663
Makes me want to unbox my triple and play it again.

>>44855108
Or have one of the PCs be arisen and the rest as pawns. The 'Arisen' would be given the privilege of allocating the pawn's stat or skill point.
>>
>>44855917
>The question is, is the Setting worthwhile to set a RPG in it?
>The answer is no.

That's debatable. It's probably quite difficult to replicate the plot of the game, because it is heavily focused on individualism and making your own decisions.

But there's more to the setting. You have the White Dragon creating his own universe and raising an army of Arisen to defend it. There are demons fleeing from their own destroyed universe, or maybe coming from outside the multiverse. There's Daimon's failed attempt at rebelling against fate, the politics of a world where a great beast regularly takes out a nation and whatever is going on in that mobile game.

And elves are running around somewhere too, apparently.
>>
File: Reeeal Nice Party.png (149KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
Reeeal Nice Party.png
149KB, 500x564px
>>44855918
Reminder that an all male party going to Bitterblack is in for a rude awakening with the Elder Ogres.
>>44856061
Or have the players be Arisen from different timelines/universes, who wash up on Bitterblack Island.
>>
>>44855840
>Would you run/play a game in this setting, /tg/?
It's not "Hey, let's discuss how to beat the end-game boss!", it's how to run the DragDog setting on tabletop.

>>>/fuck/
>>>/off/
>>
>>44854753
The one on the far left kind of reminds me of the armor set from Bloodborne that you see on all the promo art
>>
>>44856117
>You have the White Dragon creating his own universe and raising an army of Arisen to defend it. There are demons fleeing from their own destroyed universe, or maybe coming from outside the multiverse

Tell me more
>>
File: ddda-fighting-daimon.jpg (157KB, 1250x855px) Image search: [Google]
ddda-fighting-daimon.jpg
157KB, 1250x855px
I have raged and wrought destruction.

Naught shall remain.

No paths lead hence.

Repent the folly of ascribing meaning to the void.

Fall, molder, and be gone.
>>
>>44857666
>"What a base and trifling creature is man... yet at once he is the master of this empyreal flow, grand as all the heavens."

That line is some top-tier Big Bad material right there.
>>
>>44857798
Daimon's entire monologue before you fight him is excellent as well.

Really, all the good bosses got excellent dialog.
>>
>Players are or interact regularly with Pawns/Myrmidons, emotionless caricatures of humans that exist only to follow orders and fight

this is were you lost me. I particulary dont see the appeal in being emotionless caricatures of humans and having no goal of my own. Nor in interacting with them. Usually i like my fantasy stories to be about people rather than the world.
>>
File: Stupid Sexy She-Goat.png (1MB, 850x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid Sexy She-Goat.png
1MB, 850x1201px
>>44857832
She-goat vs Frenchie comes to mind.
>>
>>44857849
your average murder hobo is pretty much a dead ringer for a pawn
>>
File: 1449341791502.jpg (209KB, 662x900px) Image search: [Google]
1449341791502.jpg
209KB, 662x900px
>>44857849
In my fanfiction-tier opinion they learn how to be human and how to be emotional. It's just that they start from a blank spot, because they didn't develop like a child. Aside from that, they really have their own character, it's just either formed by their arisen, the pawns develop it by modeling themselves on their arisen, or a mixture of both.
>>
>>44857511
That's the backstory of the MMO, I only played it for a week after launch because it's tedious as fuck to play alone.

From what I recall:

>The White Dragon rules over Lestania, either by creation or by conquest. Anyway, everything is swell.
>Seneschal doesn't like the whole rebellion-against-god-thing and sends the Golden Dragon get thing back in order
>Golden Dragon invades Lestania with a shit ton of monsters
>The old civilisation that conquered death itself falls
>White and Gold Dragon duke it out for three days in the sky
>White Dragon wins, but is heavily wounded and lost most of it's power
>The spectators of the battle come in trying to help the White Dragon
>He makes them all Arisen to protect him and fight back against the monsters still roaming the lands
>300ish years later, you are chosen as a new Arisen
>During your training, a misterious aircraft crashes near the capital

You get to see like one cutscene with a demon before you go back to the main plot of a goblin/orc invasion. I stopped playing when they added a raid about exploring some ancient ruins that ended in fighting a dark drake or something like that. Since then they added two classes, so I guess the story was expanded further.

You actually have a real story with decent cutscenes and all, but when I played there was little translated.
>>
>>44858131
That actually sounds interesting, not something I expected from the MMO which, frankly, everything i've heard about was bad.
>>
>>44858281
I it weren't for the bloody exhaust mechanic it'd make a decent, if repetitive single player game. Every boss goes into rage mode where they take next to no damage and you need to use specific tactics to depleet their stamina bar to get them out. Then you have some time to knock them down and open their weak point.

The problem is that your pawns just keep fighting normally, so depleeting stamina takes forever. Because your pawns don't know tactics, your alone at knocking the boss down and you just can't do that alone. So every boss takes forever to kill, and you run through potions at light speed. If you're on PS4 like me the download is even more of a bitch, requirering to download everything from the launcher again, with proxy enabled. So I was behind most players here on levelling, and in a different time zone. Add to that that you need to unlock half the classes and level each seperately and you've got weeks of grinding to even start playing the way you want to.

Still, I'd fire the game up occasionally if it weren't for a giant patch sitting in the way.

It's a real shame because everything is beautifully crafted. You could take any random landscape or enemy design for your campaign, especially the alchemical stuff like the monk class is interesting.
>>
>>44858565
sounds like their lack of experience with MMO's is showing. any indication that pawns can 'learn' to fight smarter like in the original?
>>
>>44858131
So basically, if a Dragon decided "Wait, why am I destroying everything? I can just take over lol"

I always did wonder why they didn't just do that, being unkillable except by a very specific chosen one that they themselves create because of an instinctive drive.
>>
>>44858670
Becausethey test the specific chosen one.
>>
>>44858646
It seems deliberate, actually. They sell EXP and Money boosts and the like. To celebrate a million downloads they handed out codes for the subscription mode and with that everything went much smoother. Just having one other player around to farm bosses/random events on the way gets you decent progress, but getting there is a problem when you can't communicate with 99% of the player base.

>>44858670
Well, you only become the Dragon if you lack the strength of will to persist against the Seneschal. Dragon-hood seems to be a state of defeat, seeing how failed Arisen become Drakes and Daimon starts becomming the Dragon when you defeat him for the first time.

If you consider Grigori's reaction to your fight it seems the situation is much like the Seneschal: Sure, you're immortal and all powerful, but there is nothing for you to do. You know the greatest secrets of the world and know it leads to nothing. Why bother conquering the world? There are already infinite versions of you that did so.
All there is to do is to do your job so that existance doesn't disappear alltogether.

It's not even like the Arisen is a chosen one. They're just people that have the possibility to show their will beyond the frailty of the human body. For each Seneschal you've thousands of faillures like the Duke, Daimon or all the drakes.
>>
I've got a question abouy the setting.

If a Dragon is made by an Arisen that fail to beat the seneschal, but you need a Dragon to make an arisen, how the cycle restart when an Arisen become the seneschal after killing a Dragon? Without Dragon you don't have any more Arisen and without Arisen that fail you don't have dragons.
>>
>>44859215
There's no answer to this, one can only guess.

I know it's a four years old game, but here is my completely unproven and spoiler-heavy theory on this:
The new dragon is formed from parts of the new Seneschal. After the arisen has taken the throne, he has to kill himself to cast away his mortal shell. The soul now freed soul becomes the new Seneschal, the body goes to his pawn and the arisens mind forms the new dragon.
>>
>>44859215
The Sensechal is basically a god, he likely can just create a new dragon wholesale if he needs too.

It could be harder to do so.

Beyond that, aren't there more than one dragon in existence? Bitterbark has various Arisen from all over the world, it's unlikely that they all came from the same dragon.
>>
>>44859215
There are parelell worlds, connected by the rift. So you have countless dragons creating countless Arisen, of whom countless fail or take the deal(or end up the anchestral sex toy of a goblin tribe or whatever), of whom countless get lost in the rift or turn into incomplete dragons. Just very, very rarely there is someone who's inner flame is strong enough to become the guardian of existance. That's how it always been, until some fuckward decided to kill themselves out of boredom.
>>
>>44859379
There are certainly more than just one dragon, but in other worlds. This could mean that the Seneschal could make a dragon from a failed arisen of another dimension, but then there is one missing in this world.
>>
>>44857849

That's a thing that happens in the game. You meet a pawn that thought they were a human and had the emotions and desires to go with it.
>>
>>44859602

Meant to quote >>44858014 and >>44857849
>>
>>44859427
My question is why is this cycle necessary? Is it just so the seneschal gets a break eventually?
>>
>>44859643
>Is it just so the seneschal gets a break eventually?
A break? At some point he just can't do it anymore and wishes to finally end. He's depleted from keeping the universe turning.
>>
File: Dragon's_Dogma_flowchart.png (185KB, 1328x1330px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon's_Dogma_flowchart.png
185KB, 1328x1330px
For those having trouble with the lore, please consult this handy chart now in decent resolution
>>
The setting of DD is pretty standard fare, the game is great because of the gameplay.
Sadly I can't think of any TTRPG system that lets you climb on monsters.
>>
>>44859643
There is no break. The cycle is the nature of the universe. Worlds exist to bring forth new Arisen, so that they may take the Seneschal's place and create new worlds.

>>44859744
>The setting of DD is pretty standard fare
Only on first glance, the setting lacks a lot of common elements of Western fantasy and the background loosely is inspired by buddhism.
>>
>>44859845
Does that mean worlds are abandoned to entropy after they produce a seneshal? The purpose of existence is only to thoughtlessly propogate itself?
>>
>>44854663
>>44854753
Welp, I get why people compared it to Dark Souls now.
>>
>>44855108
Or, you know, have the PCs literally be pawns to the players.
>>
>>44860067
I guess so. The Seneschal can probably copypaste worlds like they're data on a computer. Do you care about every single file on your hard drive?
>>
>>44859744
GURPS

Combine it with the new fatigue system and grappling rules and you should be pretty goddamn close to DD.
>>
>>44854663
Honestly, the game was awesome but the story and setting are both vague and kind of dumb. Gransys was just a place holder for any generic city and the bulk of interesting story stuff happens in the post game. The mega dungeon is kinda cool, and maybe I'd nab that for a session or two but in the longterm the setting just wouldn't work for me
>>
File: Fucking Griffons.png (396KB, 613x3801px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Griffons.png
396KB, 613x3801px
I've actually used the Soundtrack in my Anima game once or twice. "Gran Soren" is great for general small city atmosphere.
My players have also encountered Grigs and the Arisen seperately, in little outtake encounters.
>>
>>44860487
The vagueness helps it, I think. It adds to the weird mystery of the the complex cycle.Looks and feels like pure high fantasy, with some very weird, cosmic stuff going on in the background that is mercifully never properly touched upon.
>>
>>44854663
Mercedes sparked my lust for brown girls.
>>
>>44862178
>cosmic stuff going on in the background that is mercifully never properly touched upon.

But deepest lore is best lore.
>>
>>44863917
I think it's good it's never touched upon, there's only brief glimpses and mentions that lend weight to it.
>>
>>44864364
Kinda like some of the background stuff in Fury Road?
Like those stilt walkers in the former Green Place.
I wanna know what the fuck was up with them!
>>
>>44866142
Yeah, that stuff's great! It lends flavour and character to the setting, I always prefer a little mystery in a setting because it allows for lots of stuff to happen, new things to be brought in and not have to re-write other sections of lore or bullshit reasons. A little ambiguity is always good, I think.
>>
>>44858670
The Dragon destroys because it cannot not. Every moment it is not destroying to create new Arisen it's own nature drives it into a frenzy; which means it wrecks stuff.

Imagine it like the feeling of insects crawling under you skin, always growing stronger but it isn't in your skin it in in your mind, your soul. The only thing that makes it go away to destroy something and create a new Arisen. This only makes it go away for a while though and the only release possible is to be slain by one of the Arisen you made.
The other kicker is you MUST offer them the deal; you hope beyond anything that they will refuse it, that their outrage at you threatening the one they love most will spur them on, but there is always the possibility they won't. That is why you only pick those who fight beyond all reason or opposition; because they will finally free you from this living hell.
>>
>>44866142
Keeps you out of the toxic sludge and its actually a good way of moving around swampy shit and if i recall some frenchies had a town that was swampy 50% of the year so they used them alot. Adding more legs just means more stability. The aforementioned frenchies used them and sometimes a walking stick and if they wanted to rest they wedged the stick between the stilts, sat on the stilt tripod, and knitted while watching their sheep flocks from on high. I can only imagined the extra on each arm would add stability when resting properly and with finding loose footing or dropoff's ahead of time.
>>
>>44857849
Over time the pawns begin to mimic their arisen and gain emotions
>>
>>44866520
Or at least the semblance of emotions.
>>
>THere will never be a class in any game as fun as the magic archer.
This is the travesty. Video games are making abilities that are way cooler that never see any actual translation into a table top game. Them and the special knights in FFT are the fucking best.
>>
>>44855539
>go to play game
>buddy wanted to be arisen so i'm stuck with pawn
>bring character sheet along with all possible pawn lines I could find.
>interject at every moment that seems fitting,
>>
File: DM throws player a clue.jpg (623KB, 1804x2040px) Image search: [Google]
DM throws player a clue.jpg
623KB, 1804x2040px
>>44866732
I know what you mean. Immolation is reason enough to go MA. Getting Ricochet Hunter, Sixfold Bolt, and the others are icing on a delicious cake.
>>44866735
That's exactly how you pawn, anon.
>>
>>44859845

It's actually the exact opposite. Dragon's Dogma isn't Buddhist, it's Nietzschean.
>>
DD is somewhat barebones there's alot you could flesh out on your own to fill it in
>>
>>44867902
There's a partial reason for that.
Dude creating it wanted to add a shit-ton more content initially(we're talking separate WORLDS, a trip to the MOON), but CAPCOM was adamant about the release date, so a lot had to fall by the wayside.
>>
>>44862283

I feel you anon
>>
File: Cloudwine is a helluva thing.jpg (157KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
Cloudwine is a helluva thing.jpg
157KB, 500x706px
>>44862283
>>44869155
My fellow disappearing fathers!
>>
>>44860097
It plays so differently and the atmosphere is radically different, even in BBI. Its DMC Dante Must Be High Medieval
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.