[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 43

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

>Currently Playing?
>Brewing/Finishing?
>Sideboard Tech?
>Aggro, Combo, or Control?
>Next MTG Purchase?

>Playing after January 22nd?
(Post Splinter Twin and Summer Bloom Ban)
>>
File: Damnation.xlhq.jpg (603KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Damnation.xlhq.jpg
603KB, 745x1040px
Here's an interesting read on ban reasoning and post ban meta changes.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/bloom-and-twin-banned-in-modern-what-now/
>>
>>44849229
Just played against UB Eldrazi on Xmage, I was playing Junk.

This eldrazi deck is fucking lame, and GBx is all but dead. My main deck will be Twin for the last time tomorrow and then I'll probably sell out of modern. One, because this new meta shift is about to be gay as fuck, and two, because no tier 1 deck I buy will ever be safe.

Suck my dick, Wizards.
>>
Currently playing Living End. Twin wasn't exactly a favorable matchup, but now infect and burn will be on the rise. Plus Tron and B/x Eldrazi run mainboard relics. How fucked am I?
>>
File: ugin.jpg (55KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
ugin.jpg
55KB, 620x453px
Are the Eldrazi decks actually good?

I've been out of the game for a bit.
>>
>>44849387
Super fucked. Start maining 3-4 Mages and try to keep them off lands, run Dismembers in the side for Infect.
>>
>>44849497
look up Blight Herder, Oblivion Sower, and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, and make note that their abilities are all upon casting them, not resolving, IE your opponent is fucked either way

then realize they have Eldrazi temple, which is essentially a sol land with absolutely no fucking drawback

then realize they play Eye of Ugin, which tutors up any threat they need end of turn, and with Urborg in play, becomes in essence a land that produces 3 mana.

Yes, the deck is fucking gay and will soon rule the meta if it's not banned.
>>
>>44849272
Makes some good points, but Jund is still good against Infect and Storm. I doubt people will be flocking to play storm.
>>
>>44849497
Owen T. thinks it's a Tier 1 or 2 deck.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/owens-pick-of-the-week-for-modern-2/
>>
>>44849272
I'm glad he points out how infect, grishoalbrand, and storm all break the supposed "turn 4 rule" and yet are still here. Can't wait for those to be banned too, then maybe the format will be somewhat interesting again.
>>
>>44849702
How would you ban infect and storm, though?
I guess for storm you can ban Grapeshot and Empty the Warrens, but you'd have to ban every creature with Infect and Inkmoth to stop Infect.
>>
>>44849702

If they ban Infect, I will leave modern cause its my only Modern deck and I cant afford another good one.

Meanwhile I will crush every FNM I can to get the most store credit/money from tourneys.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXKOCfo90c
>>
>>44849685
How about a grixis shell with Ashiok?
>>
>>44849758
My only modern deck is Jund, and that deck is fucked. You just build a new deck.
It sucks, but it's what you gotta do some times.
>>
>>44849758

> Infect on the rise
> Got 8 Inkmoth Nexus from when Scars of Mirrodin was standard legal but didnt use cus I had a better deck to play in that time.
> Wizards ban my Twin Deck
> Scapeshift price increased to 60$

Well, its time to wait till infect dominates the format to sell these inkmoths.
>>
>>44849763
One of my friends had just finished foiling out Twin, SB included, the day the announcement came.
>>
>>44849702
Yeah 4 turn rule is important, but consistentes wins, and low interactivity is the real problem
>>
>>44849763

> Printed paper

Disgusting, get a real card and edit the whole fucking video again you pleb.
>>
File: 4b4.jpg (58KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
4b4.jpg
58KB, 540x360px
>>44849829
>"infect dominates the format"
>>
So since its match up against TRON is terrible, how good of an idea is it to build Melira Coco.
>>
>>44849880
His next goal shall be to foil out Blue Moon. Then Jeskai Flash.
>>
>>44849229
>Currently Playing?
Merfolk
>Brewing/Finishing?
Nothing right now
>Sideboard Tech?
Thassa (Unblock able Scry God)
Aggro Tempo
>Next MTG Purchase?
Nothing else because I have a completed vintage deck (Grixis Thieves), Modern (Grixis Delver, and Merfolk) and Legacy (Dredge)
I LOVE BLUE AND COMBO!!!!
>>
>>44849964
He foiled out Pod right before that got banned last year.
He's taking requests for what to foil out next since it'll most likely get banned. Tron is popular choice right now.
>>
>>44849964
If they ban Snapcaster Mage the Magic Community will riot.
>>
>>44849778
The only Planeswalkers that'll ever be good in modern are Karn, Liliana, Ugin, and Mind Sculptor.
>>
>>44849778
Why ashiok
>>
>>44850100
I'm pretty sure the only people happy about the Twin ban are those not invested in the format (aka those who just see Twin as a bad matchup because they fall for the trap everytime instead of learning to play around it).

There was quite a shistorm friday night.
>>
>>44850478
Elspeth and Gideon could be decent as wincons for control, but control is dead in Modern right now.
>>
>>44850620
Everyone I saw was up in arms about the banning of Twin, not the banning of Exarch. I agree that it would have made more sense to ban Exarch because it nerfs Twin but leaves the combo intact. It becomes a deck like Ad Nauseam, a 2-card combo that you have to have 4 copies of each in the deck to make it combo off.

Printing Splinter Twin and subsequently banning it was probably not a good idea. Exarch should have gotten the axe.
>>
>>44850478
>no new-kozilek

???????????
>>
>>44850782
>Kozilek
>planeswalker

>new Kozilek
>good
>>
File: 1365958479035.jpg (10KB, 137x130px) Image search: [Google]
1365958479035.jpg
10KB, 137x130px
>put splinter twin in MM15
>banned
>>
What's your guys opinion on this mono red deck that drops Blood Moon/Ensnaring Bridge t1 and kills you with Koth? Saw the deck on MTGO the other day and it could be pretty insane. Beating t1 Blood Moon seems like an issue for a lot of decks right now.
>>
>>44850989
You talking about Skred m8?
>>
Should I build infect or affinity in our post-twin world?
>>
>>44851019

Yeah. A guy a my LGS has been testing it for a few weeks and it blows out a lot of the meta decks.
>>
When will the salt start to subside?
Will a top 8 full of tron, affinty, burn and infect restart the salt in three weeks?
>>
>>44850845
If they hadn't reprinted it, it would have been a disaster. 60 USD Splinter Twin which proceeds to get banned.
>>
Since this general presumably has the most knowledgeable and experienced players, I'll ask this here

What does M/tg/ think of Rotisserie Drafting? I like the idea of having a set of cards you can repeatedly draft without the intense financial investment of buying a Cube. What are some of the Magic sets that would be good for Rotisserie Draft?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-mirror-breaker/

This is my attempt at a post Twin-Ban Grixis list, still maintaining the combo but being more control-tempo orientated from the beginning rather than boarding into it. Other options I'm looking into are Pia and Kiran Nalaar and Goblin Dark-Dwellers. Running 1x Grim Lavamancer in place of a 4th Snapcaster as I don't have one, I'm hoping it'll help with my aggro orientated meta however.
>>
>>44851054
Infect beats Tron and often beats everything else. Affinity loses to Tron and reliably beats everything else.

>>44851065
It might be poised to make some waves. Twin was the Great Wall holding back the hordes and now that it's gone some tier 2/3 builds might get in there.

>>44851095
The generally accepted best draft formats are Invasion, Odyssey, and Tempest. Take that as you will (draft isn't my forte).
>>
File: 1449974097813_1.jpg (59KB, 468x760px) Image search: [Google]
1449974097813_1.jpg
59KB, 468x760px
*sniff* W-Why does Wizards h-hate the decks I create? You still love me right Anon?
>>
>>44851181
No. Azorious for life.
>>
>>44851181
Izzet-chan x Delver OPT
>>
>>44851217
>Izzet-chan getting raped by insectile abberation
>>
>>44851201
Azorius-chan really likes anal. And not just receiving. Hope you're prepared for that.
>>
>>44851181
I just want to creampie pretty girls, why do all the guildfus hate them except Selesnya
>>
File: lust.png (131KB, 555x378px) Image search: [Google]
lust.png
131KB, 555x378px
>>44851278
Seems only fair if I'm putting it in her butt too.
>>
>>44851304
Pretty sure Golgari would be into it too - biomass is a biomass after all.
Grull might as well.
And Rakdos, but that goes without saying.
>>
File: guildfus.png (3MB, 1200x7200px) Image search: [Google]
guildfus.png
3MB, 1200x7200px
>>44851372
>>
>>44851455
I don't know what's sadder, that someone made this or that I took the time to read it.
>>
>>44849702
It has to do with how consistently the deck can pull off a pre-turn 4 win. However, I don't think WotC has ever given us an exact number and so it seems a rather arbitrary guideline. My guess is that they don't think either of those decks are widely enough played at the moment to warrant a ban.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the next ban announcement was something like Become Immense and Ancient Stirrings given that Infect and RG Tron actually become the new top dogs of the format. That said, I don't actually want Stirrings banned because it enables some of favorite non-Tron strategies and would much rather see the Urza lands get the axe, but I do think Stirrings is the more likely candidate.
>>
>>44851568
It's important knowledge that all magic players should know.
>>
test
>>
>>44851568
You gotta know your matchups bro
>>
>>44851587
Here's a crazy thought: instead of banning whatever dominates the meta, UNBAN some stuff so we can get new decks in here. Start with Sword and SFM.
>>
>>44851687
They do unban stuff from time to time, but when a particular strategy dominates Modern they prefer to ban something from it rather than unbanning something else to counter it. They unban stuff when they deem it safe to do so.

This has to do with their stated intention for what Modern is supposed to be. It's supposed to be a diverse format with many decks and no single overwhelmingly dominant deck. If they had wanted the format to be Jace-decks vs Tron-decks vs Jund decks, for example, they could easily accomplish that, but that's not what they want Modern to be.
>>
Is anyone else concerned with the rash of buyouts?
>scapeshift $50
>eye of ugin $40
>urborg ToY $20
>voice of resurgence $40
>Karn $70
>arcbound ravager $60

The mentality is basically, "this card isn't going to be reprinted at all in Standard because of [insert reason here] and if it's in the next MM it will have no supply at all to satisfy the demand. Better buy this card while it's at $50 before it spikes to $80." Unfortunately that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where the worry of cards spiking in price causes them to spike in the end.

I honestly believe at some point in the future the loss of faith is going to reach a critical mass and trigger the equivalent of a bank run in Magic, where virtually every card is bought out in a mass panic. It will make these current buyouts look like child's play. I'm talking $200 for standard rares level of buyout.

How do we fix this?
>>
>>44850845

I feel really good about the possibility of buying a Splinter Twin playset on the cheap once it bottoms out, on the off chance Wizards actually grows a brain and reverses their decision.
>>
>>44851930
If Pod and Twin ever become unbanned it won't be until several years down the line when Modern has gone so broken that their inclussion won't mean anything anymore.
>>
>>44851889
Play Legacy, and I mean that with unfortunate seriousness. Modern is in the strange place of being in-between a true eternal format and a very long extended format. Legacy's price is only going to fluctuate on occasion and isn't subject to the rash buyouts like modern. It's the only stable AND "affordable" format there is. Modern is affordable but far from stable.
>>
>>44851930
>reverses their decison

Why don't you pick up a playset of Birthing Pod and Deathrite Shaman too? I'm sure their just waiting for the right time for them to come back...
>>
>>44851889
>the worry of cards spiking in price
I don't worry about it. I'm counting on it. Currently none of the cards that people want will be printed in Standard legal sets, and that will continue to be the case until Development starts increasing the power level of Standard to where those cards are acceptably strong rather than bonkers and that is a process that will take at least few years seeing as they don't want power level swings to be sudden from block to block. And as long as they aren't printed in Standard legal sets the reprints won't remarkably affect the price of the cards.
>>
>>44851889
The dilemma of mass buyout in the long run works out.

Just like the stock market with shorting.
20% shorts on a stock, stock goes down 15%
20% of those shorts get covered, and then the stock boost up 12%-16%

Everything bought has to be sold and if the environment says no to $100 blood moons the price will not rise above $100, ad nauseam down to current price.

Karn is eternally around $60-$80 and if they run it above $80 most people will not buy it.

Secondary buyout scenario: HOARDING. When a single players own 20 blood moons and is waiting a year to sell them at profit.
>>
>>44851889

Only Wizards can fix it, but they probably wont because they dont care. They are happy when stores buy all their stuff. As long as people pay for their products, they wont care about the pricing of sec.market.

Modern is a expensive format now. If you cant afford it I suggest you to move on, play in workstation/cockwhatever or use proxies.

I cant afford it and my only deck Twin got banned. I dont hate wizards because of the bad move they made by banning bloom and twin. I hate they did nothing for the players. Modern Masters shouldn't be a limited print.
>>
>>44851979
>>44852000
The thing is, I don't see this kind of explosion in demand being able to limit itself just to modern. A few modern-legal cards like thalia and teeg and ad naus get spiked to absurd amounts, that hurts the legacy decks that run them.

If this run comes, it may start in modern but it's going to hit standard, legacy and vintage very quickly.
>>
>>44852079
So invest and make a profit out of the situation.
>>
>>44849925

Just go Elves CoCo. Better matchup vs tron outside of pyroclasm which you can fuck over with BFT via Chord
>>
>>44852053
>Everything bought has to be sold and if the environment says no to $100 blood moons the price will not rise above $100, ad nauseam down to current price.

Good in theory, but we have seen that it absolutely doesn't work like that. The environment will buy any card at almost any price, for fear the price will go higher before they change their mind. People will accept blood moon at 100 because if they don't buy it NOW it'll be 150, which eventually brings blood moon to 150 because of the expectation. And people will buy at 150 because if they don't it'll hit 200.

You can see where this is going.
>>
>>44851687
If they unban something and it turns out that it really was degenerate, it makes them look (even more) incompetent. But if they ban something and another card/deck becomes overpowered, then they still have plausible "we can't test for everything" deniability.
>>
>>44851597
I'd be curious to see someone's take on shards, wedges and colorless in the same style.
>>
>>44852078
>>44852103
It's not the inflation that I'm worried about - it's that after everything gets run on and the market stagnates, eventually demand is going to dip and drop the price. People will sell off their cards to save their losses, and that's going to trigger a freefall.

Who remembers what happened LAST TIME a shitton of players and store owners lost tens of thousands of dollars in stock overnight?
>>
>>44852240
what happened?
>>
File: 1413505183267.jpg (4KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
1413505183267.jpg
4KB, 223x226px
>>44852138
[Economics Reference] Sir you just described the housing bubble of the 2000s

There is a limit to the line of thought you presented.

Wizards could also do a MM III, and MM 4 to reverse the spikes of the past.
>>
>>44852240
Stores lost heavily on Birthing Pod.
Stores are about to lose heavily on Splinter Twin.
Stores lose heavily when a bulk of their stock rotates out of standard.
>>
>>44852259
Wizards was sued and almost went bankrupt, and the Reserved List happened.

>>44852267
I know. This has all of the characteristics of a price bubble, and IF wizards wants to correct it, they need to reprint these spiking cards - but without the core set or a wide-release MM printing, they have no good way to do so.
>>
File: ohoho_vendor.jpg?1440021965.jpg (248KB, 685x515px) Image search: [Google]
ohoho_vendor.jpg?1440021965.jpg
248KB, 685x515px
>>44852267
>Wizards could also do a MM III, and MM 4 to reverse the spikes of the past.
>>
>>44852328

Why they cant reprint a non limited Modern Masters? Is it because they can get sued?
>>
>>44852297
They did lose, but never on the scale of Chronicles. Stores had thousands of dollars in inventory literally vanish overnight. A lot of them closed down, and several of them filed a class action suit, accusing Wizards of intentionally tanking their assets to force the shops into bankruptcy.
>>
>>44852375
Forgive my ignorance. Can you point me in the direction of the court case or at least an article covering the court case?
>>
>>44852375
There's hypothetically nothing stopping them from a usual-sized printing of MM, but they would have to strike a careful balance - if they reprint too few big ticket cards, it makes the problem worse. Reprint too many and the market shock gets people clamoring for lawsuits for intentional and unlawful price manipulation.
>>
>>44852410
Hundreds of thouands is a bit of an exageration for a single store. When chronicles came out lotus sold for less then $200
>>
>>44852441
Exception to the rule 1: Tarmogoyf

Ever reprint of tarmogoyf had his price increase in value.

KINDA like Irish potatoes (Higher Supply, Higher Price).
>>
>>44851980
DRS already sees Legacy play and might see some more in Delver builds if Lands rises in popularity. The price can only go up.
>>
>>44852485
that's something that barring a hugely-available printing they won't be able to fix. Every time someone opens 1 tarmogoyf, they immediately have demand for 3 more (becuase just 1 goyf won't do jack shit for you) and that's one of the bigger reasons the price keeps going up. Unless you can get all 4 at once, getting a copy INCREASES demand, rather than decrease it.
>>
>>44852509
I have hoarded 25 Deathrite Shamans in anticipation of the Modern Unban and because I play legacy and vintage.
>>
I don't like the precedent that Wizards is making by banning twin

It wasn't terribly overpowered
It didn't break any of the previously set-up "rules"

It was just popular. I never bothered building twin but it's bad to think eventually my modern decks have a chance of being destroyed because too many people played it.

It makes me wanna cash out and go for legacy
>>
>>44852580
On one hand yes it sets a dangerous precedent of saying "we're going to hit whatever deck wins the modern PT this year".

On the other hand, there have been 4 Modern PTs since the format began, and splinter twin has won all 4 of them. Think of it like the old Jeopardy! Rules: you beat everyone for 5 days in a row, you get to retire as the undefeated, undisputed master while the audience gets some new blood.
>>
>>44852485
That is because when people open one or two of them they don't see it as opening $200 but as a Junk or Canadian Thresh deck suddenly becoming slightly more viable for them and so they hold onto them and want to buy more, increasing demand rather than supply.
>>
>>44852439
I'm pretty sure there is no court case. It's just rumour just like everything else about Magic.

Even if there was a court case fuck it. It happened 20 years ago. The realities then were different than the realities now.

To me, the realities now are fairly simple. Stores should have long realized the business model of singles is horseshit. The sheer labor involved and the volatility of the marketpalce is something any small-business should not and do not have the resources to expend participating in. Let the "big box" companies like Starcity Games and ChannelFireball fuck around with their juggernaut sized distribution and sorting-slaves.

This doesn't mean stores should not buy collections from people - they probably should continue to do this at 20% the cost of the collection then turn around and sell it to the big faggots like Starcity - minimal labor, shipping, maximum return. I know for a fact stores make most of their money simply selling Sealed product and should just focus on securing that market. Competitive players hardly buy from stores because they bitch and moan about prices so fuck them, the store shouldn't cater to people like me.
>>
>>44849763
https://youtu.be/zAk_NGukNEs?t=121

Ricky = Twin
Shooter = WotC
>>
File: Screenshot (188).png (595KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (188).png
595KB, 2160x1440px
>>44849229
Blood Moon Evidence.

The price should ease down after the buyout.
>>
>>44852623
>suddenly becoming slightly more viable for them
A part of Magic that somewhat disgusts me is that it preys on the hopes of people and the people are too stupid to realize it. The improvement to viability isn't significant because they still have to climb a thousand-dollar-sized mountain to reach that dream. But they still think they'll get there when really they never will without making a very stupid decision.

Some people when they open a Tarmogoyf have the right idea. They see a $200 bill and immediately have no hopes at all of making use of it and immediately try to cash out.

I'm a instant gratification sort of person. If I want a deck I'll just buy it outright. My collection of loose singles is fairly small (maybe 200 cards) and consists only of common/uncommon staples. It's disturbed me how expensive some of those staples have gotten. Anyways, I just buy decks outright if I want them. I haven't bought a deck in maybe three years, just Cube pieces. The prices are outrageous - I remember that I could just drop $200 and have a top-tier Standard deck; now nearly every card in a Standard deck is a Rare or Mythic.
>>
Might take this deck I have been sitting on for a while to a local modern tournament, any changes I could make within a week?

Infect:
2x Apostle's Blessing
2x Blight Mamba
3x Cathedral of War
12x Forest
3x Giant Growth
2x Gitaxian Probe
4x Glistener Elf
4x Groundswell
4x Ichorclaw Myr
4x Inkmoth Nexus
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Mutagenic Growth
1x Pendelhaven
2x Rancor
2x Ranger's Guile
3x Spellskite
4x Vines of Vastwood

Sideboard:
1x Apostle's Blessing
2x Autumn's Veil
2x Dismember
2x Gitaxian Probe
2x Nature's Claim
2x Pithing Needle
2x Rancor
2x Stonewood Invocation

I'm new to modern play pls no bully
>>
>>44852799
I personally prefer the deck to 4 Gitaxian Probes because you are essentially playing a 56 card deck. You are infect you do not care about the 2 life. 2 life = shot of doing the T3/T4 Kill.

Other than that I love the deck.
>>
>>44852798
>now nearly every card in a Standard deck is a Rare or Mythic
That has been the case for a very long time. I remember Aaron Foresythe writing an article during Time Spiral standard that noted how some of the top decks at the time were consisted of only like 50% rares as that was very uncommon at the time.
>>
>>44852798
I agree, I realized exactly the same a year or two ago and stopped trying to build a modern deck and just cashed out on a lot of my staples and swapped completely to EDH and occasionally limited. I realized I didn't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a competitive deck like you do and would rather just take my money and spend it on things I do care about.
>>
>>44852779
>Army of Allah

I never knew this was a card.

Fuck yeah Arabian Nights.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (74KB, 1051x431px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
74KB, 1051x431px
Woah.

What am i looking at here?

Is Mindslicer being bought out?
>>
>Grand Prix DC is $225, a $75 increase out of nowhere
>So $75 for 4 packs
>Constructed GP's are $65
WotC has gone mad.
>>
>>44852799
Changes I would make:
Main:
+4 Become Immense 5G Delve
+5/+5 pump spell
+2 Gitaxian Probe
-2 Ranger's Guile
-2 Cathedral of War
-1 Ichorclaw Myr

You have to sneak under twin and control.
Just a suggestion. Become immense is insane.
>Fetch, Probe, Fetch, Probe, Spell, Spell
>For just (G) you get +5/+5
>>
>>44852850
Time Spiral standard had like a billion viable decks though so even then it wasn't as bad. I mean I think the most expensive I remember back then was Tarmo-Rack, though maybe there was something more expensive I'm forgetting.
>>
>>44852906
>>44852835

Thanks friends, didn't realise gitaxian probe was that worth it, ill go acquire the other cards from my LGS after work tomorrow
>>
>>44849229
>Currently Playing?
Burn
>Brewing/Finishing?
Nothing at the moment.
>Sideboard Tech?
The usual, just need to figure out what to replace my Rending Volleys with now
Aggro
>Next MTG Purchase?
WAS going to purchase out a few cards based on the banlist reveal, but it was leaked 2 days early, by WotC no less. I guess that I'll look for more speculated cards perhaps. Maybe UrzaLands?

Still Burn
>>
>>44852850
50% Rares is a GOOD situation from my perspective; boogeymen of the formats like Cawblade, Valakut, and Jund were around 50% commons and uncommons.

Now that number is 80-90% and that's probably just the basic lands. I don't know, I only glance at recent Standard decks.

People tell me that when Madness was a dominant mechanic the deck was like 10% Rares. Even though it was cancer, Affinity was almost all commons.

>>44852876
I'm a low-powered Cube person now. I maybe buy 3 cards per new set for it; it's a 360 card deck that I find so much fun making small and large changes to. And all the changes are old shit nobody wants. It's the best thing ever; I'm sure you feel the same way about EDH.
>>
>>44852898
Ghost Quarter bump makes no sense.
There are other printings of Ghost Quarters.

The best cards to run a buyout on are:
[1] Single Print (one version one set)
[2] Undiscovered synergies
[3] Low start price $1-$5

The most logical card for a buyout would Young Pyromancer

[1] 1 Print., Magic 2014
[2] Sees lots of play
[3] Average price $2.50-$3.00

Someone buys $10,000+ (3,300+ Young Pyromancers).
>>
>>44849387
Mainboard the hate cards for infect and cross fingers.
Mainboard Ingot CHewers
Mainboard ETB Kill Effects
>>
>>44852898
>What am i looking at here
The excuse I need to dig through my box of old commons and find all my Urzalands since they apparently are more than .50 like I thought.

>>44852903
Gotta make sure that event's dont cap.

Although it the event does cap with this retarded price jump I will be very sad.
>>
>>44852903
I actually heard of packs potentially increasing in price soon.
At least its one excuse for why my LGS has increased their drafts to $20.
>>
>>44851455
>You will never be a lawmage with your qt boros angel waifu as muscle
End my suffering
>>
>>44853123
>LGS has increased their drafts to $20
Jesus did they get their WPA pulled or are there just no other stores in the area?

Hell you could host your own drafts for cheaper at that point unless he's going crazy with the prize support.
>>
>>44849229

>Currently Playing?
Mono U Fishies (Merfolk)
List:
4 AEther Vial
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Cursecatcher
4 Harbinger of the Tides
11 Island
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
3 Master of Waves
4 Merrow Reejerey
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
4 Mutavault
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Spreading Seas

Sideboard:
1 Blighted Cataract
3 Dismember
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
4 Tidebinder Mage
4 Vapor Snag
>Brewing/Finishing?
Nothing right now.
>Sideboard Tech?
Blighted Cataract (Draw Cards_
Thassa (Scry Unblockable Indestructible God)
[CONTEMPLATING] Unified Will (1U)
Merfolk is an Aggro deck with elements of tempo (form of control) and soft locks.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Vntage [x]
Legacy [x]
Modern [x2]
SO YEAH NO FUTURE PURCHASES PLANNED.

I plan on playing merfolk (the fishies). Those disruptive Fishies are deceptively good.
>>
>>44853123
God I hope not. It feels like every day there's some news of stupid shit happening in Magic, and though most have registered at "mildly annoys me" to "doesn't affect me thank god but I know this is dumb." Raising the price on packs might actually be the one to legitimately piss me off.
>>
>>44852328
>core set
The Core Set wouldn't help them at all in the current situation. It's the power level of Standard that's the main concern, not that some of the cards have setting specific names. Goblin Guides could exist on any plane that has goblins, but Standard wouldn't be able to handle a hasty 2/2 for R at the moment.
>>
>>44853151
Well there are other cheaper stores that I can visit.

But this particular store closed for renovations last year for a few, cancelling all events during the Serum Visions promo month and cancelling the BFZ prerelease and gameday events. So now that they opened they have increased the cost of their events.
>>
>>44853166
Now here's a thought: What if they reprinted Goblin Guide, but banned it from standard play? This satisfies the desire for a reprint, and keeps Standard how they want it.
>>
>>44852903
$225 gets you three playmats, 12 packs and the promo.

To me, that's about $75 in product. The remaining $150 goes towards admissions and shit. I actually think that's pretty reasonable. It takes an army to run these things, setup and breakdown, and renting the venue and possibly hiring food services.

$75 a head for a day's entertainment is a pretty good deal. People have to eat too.

I bitch and moan about card prices harder than anybody else but this cost to run an event seems right.
>>
>>44853217
That would make a whole lot of people very upset that they couldn't put the cool rare they opened into their Standard deck.
>>
>>44853226
Its literally a $75 jump from the last team sealed, the judges make no more money than they did 2 months ago, the staff certainly is paid no more, and there hasn't been some retarded currency crash in the us making our money worth as little as Canadian dollars.

Hell the Canadian GP is fucking cheaper and their currency is worthless!
>>
>>44853217
I love that plan. Goblin Guide is not on the reserved list.
>>
>>44853243
They could sell it for a card they can use. Guide would probably fetch a pretty penny.
>>
File: 1388972555250.gif (445KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1388972555250.gif
445KB, 250x188px
>>44853148
>you will never be an elite boros soldier protecting a qt lawmage
>>
>>44853217
They could easily toss in modern staples in event decks. Hell they did a modern event deck once.

The same reason why we haven't had a Wasteland or FoW reprint in a supplemental product despite people begging for it for nearly a decade now. WotC is mean
>>
>>44853256
I am not terribly interested in what it was like before. You're probably completely right that compensation hasn't changed and people aren't getting paid more and they're just pocketing the extra cash.

To me the price is fair. $75 for a day's entertainment and a giant mouse-pad souvenir. I'm not even considering that you get packs and a promo.
>>
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Dark Confidant
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Fulminator Mage
2 Phyrexian Obliterator
2 Thundermaw Hellkite

3 Liliana of the Veil

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
3 Terminate
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Kolaghan's Command
2 Maelstrom Pulse

Lands, with Mire/Cairns to filter BB.
>>
>>44853296
BW Tokens was amazing reprint.

Solution: Reprint fire and lightning. It helps soothe the cost of modern and legacy.

Instead of the same Fire and Lightning Include swiftspear, rift bolt, and goblin guides. Possible name "Turn and Burn" "Fire and Lightning Revised"
>>
So, is there anyway to solve the costs of these fucking price spikes?

Theres no way that WotC could create enough reprint sets to cover every popular card in Modern.
>>
>>44853396
>So, is there anyway to solve the costs of these fucking price spikes?
Kill demand.

WotC is trying their hardest to do so anon.
>>
>>44853396
They've printed two Modern Masters sets, each with limited supply, lower pack count, and increased price.

They have the means to improve the situation; they don't even need to come up with a new Limited format; just rehash an old MM one and just reprint only good Rares. For only speculative reasons they do not.
>>
>>44853415
>Next Set: Shadows over Innistrad

Possible reprints:
(1) Reprint Geist of Saint Beatings (1UW)
Current Price: $11.99
Rarity: Mythic Rare (keep the reprint as a mythic)
(2) Reprint Liliana of the Veil
Current Price: $90
Rarity: Mythic Rare (keep)
Upside: Played in all formats, two printings (Innistrad, Promo), and should help newer players build for modern and legacy.
>>
>>44849229
>>Currently Playing?
U/W Mentor
>>Brewing/Finishing?
Skred and U/R Delver
>>Sideboard Tech?
Spreding seas vs burn
>>Aggro, Combo, or Control?
Tempo
>>Next MTG Purchase?
Stormchaser Mage and Twisted Image
>>Playing after January 22nd?
U/R Delver
>>
>>44853449
Wizards also have no interest in killing the interest of future MM sets by reprinting all the most expensive cards right away in sufficiently high quantities that they prices actually drop.
>>
>>44853500
I seriously doubt LotV will get reprinted. For whatever reason they never reprint walkers, choosing to just make new versions of.

Honestly shes probably too strong for standard hilariously enough also.
>>
File: goose-sama.jpg (59KB, 350x497px) Image search: [Google]
goose-sama.jpg
59KB, 350x497px
>>44853500
They're already gonna reprint Geist in a duel deck.
>>
>>44853500
>Geist of Saint Beatings
>Liliana of the Veil
Too good for Standard. No reprints.
>>
>>44849229

>>Currently Playing?
Twin(Rip), Jund, and Esper Mentor
>>Brewing/Finishing?
Esper Gifts and Junk
>>Sideboard Tech?
Boomerang
>>Aggro, Combo, or Control?
Control
>>Next MTG Purchase?
Just bought the stuff I needed for Gifts and Junk
>>Playing after January 22nd?
>(Post Splinter Twin and Summer Bloom Ban)
Everything -Twin
Also I want the new Snap Promo, I just remembered it today
>>
now that twin is banned will keranos go up, down, or stay the same? debating whether to get rid my 2 copies
>>
>>44853540
They considered reprinting Liliana of the Veil in M14 but didn't because
>too strong for standard hilariously enough
>>
>>44853540
It's because walkers are the main characters of the story. LotV was one chapter in Lili's story that has already closed. It won't be reprinted in a standard legal set ever again.
>>
>>44853585
>>44853592
What are the chances we get a brand new (probably jankier) Geist card?
>>
>>44853585
That is the point. Geist in control shells is a beating and it if roared back into the format it would change a lot of removal packages. Most removal packages are pin pointed, but there are sweepers such as radiant flames.
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 310x223px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 310x223px
>>44853340
?
>>
>>44853609
Not true. They have said that they are willing to reprint walkers where appropiate. Sets aren't necessarily told in chronological order either, so they can always jump back in time to a point where Liliana was of the Veil if they need to.

That said, it won't get reprinted in a Standard legal set unless Development starts increasing the power level of the format.
>>
>>44852877
Arabian Nights is the absolute best set that's based on an issue of Sandman
>>
>>44853654
Most of the new flip walkers have a edge because of the existence of one card (CoCo).
If CoCo player can live to T4 then they can CoCo and get baby jace, Nissa #1, Nissa #2, or other new Flip Walkers.
>>
>>44853512
You're right.

But the format is dying. I guess the community asked for it when they demanded that Modern become a Pro Tour format. In retrospect we should have just let the format die in peace like Legacy has.
>>
>>44842349
Bump
>>
>>44852548
Do you play 4 and 1/4 team america decks and hate unsleeving?
>>
>>44853745
I've seriously thought about doing this for Abrupt Decays and DRS.
>>
>>44853738
Legacy is "dying"
Legacy has been "dying" for 10 years.
Vintage has been "dying" for 5 years
Come on guys get real. Standard is just hyperinflation with new fags.
>>
>>44853782
I did hear an interesting theory that vintage gets a little less interesting every time they print a creature that says "can't" in its rule box.
>>
>>44851687
>SFM

lol
>>
>>44853772
Build every conceivable flavor of delver at once
>>
>>44853798
i heard that vintage gets much less interesting with every 0 tacked onto the back-end tof the price of moxen.
>>
>>44853782
Eternal formats only exist in high population density centers and online. And honestly who the fuck just decides to pick up Eternal online when Moxen are still $50-70 fucking dollars and Underground Sea are like $20.

The formats are fucking dead as far as I'm concerned. New players only know of cards like Jace the Mind Sculptor on the same level as Black Lotus.
>>
File: 1446604213585.jpg (191KB, 400x523px) Image search: [Google]
1446604213585.jpg
191KB, 400x523px
>>44853847
>complaining about price
>in the format with the most 10-15 proxy tournaments, and prizes for playing without the most expensive cards in most other tourneys
>>
File: madolcheOTK.webm (857KB, 400x316px) Image search: [Google]
madolcheOTK.webm
857KB, 400x316px
Magic will never be this good
>>
>>44853860
It takes work, but my store has recently started getting legacy staples out to people and its starting to take
>>
>>44853898
GTFO. Magic is super fun time Japanese card game. It is a great American based game.
>>
>>44853898
That looks pretty fun desu
>>
I just want magic to go back to fallen empires. 4 different art choices for every common would make modern pimp decks more interesting
>>
That graveborn premium deck seems kinda cool.
>>
>>44853898
I probably wouldn't mind their reprint frequency in MTG, but their bannings are fucking terrible
>"Lets print a set with abrand new broken archetypes!"
>"Whats that, the packs that these Archetypes are in are no longer being sold? Okay lets ban cards from them and make the nonviable in the meta!"

Also E-Homos are the only archetype that has had support for over 10 years.
>>
>>44853898
Turn 2: The Trading Card Game
>>
>>44853974
Bro-Fist of Approval.
>>
>>44853915
Good on your store. But I'm going to remain highly skeptical that it's worth the effort to get Legacy staples to a core group of 16 players to make a format run.

I know the cards are out there. I've seen people with collections in shoe boxes, playing with duals in dogshit decks with Serra Angel still in them. But short of robbing those people, killing them, or paying tens of thousands of dollars for their collections, the supply is strangled.

I haven't seen a real dual in two years.
>>
>>44854026
You are salty as fuck. I play legacy and vintage. I have a core group of 4 friends who play legacy, modern, and vintage with me.

>YOU ARE THE ONE LOOKING IN THE
>WRONG PLACES.
>>
File: Foreign Pimp.jpg (587KB, 1512x1934px) Image search: [Google]
Foreign Pimp.jpg
587KB, 1512x1934px
Archive this thread?!?!?!?
>>
>>44854026
I remember when seeing a dual land was a holy shit moment. Once you own a couple the impact wears off
>>
>>44854079
The foreign is cool, but that's the wrong printing of Lord of Atlantis for me to deem that pimp
>>
>>44854104
Some Russian dude probably owns that modern/legacy portion of the merfolk deck.
>>
>>44854129
Nah the pictures labeled foreign pimp. FBB lords would be sick though
>>
>>44854104
No earlier printing of Lord of Atlantis exists in Russian.
>>
>>44853798
Does revoker really make vintage that much less interesting?
The next ones down the list are: ethersworn cannonist, aegis of the gods, spirit of the laborynth, leonin arbiter, xantid swarm and Dragonlord Dromoka, containment preist doesn't actually have the word but that might count too.
Are hatebears really that bad?
>>
>>44851889
I bought 3 PLC Urborgs for 10 bucks two days ago on TCGplayer

They haven't shipped yet

Chances of my order getting canceled and the seller screwing me?
>>
Grixis Twin transforms into Grixis Control
+4 Baby Jace
+1-2 Pia and Thopterling Bro/Sis
-4 Splinter twin
-3-6 Twin targets
>>
>>44854201
If the seller backs out he, THE SELLER LACKS HONOR AND IS NOT A MAN OF HIS WORD.
>>
>>44850845
glad im not the only one who noticed this to
>>
>>44853892
>proxy tournaments
anon i have some bad news for you
>>
File: Salty Bitch.jpg (36KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Salty Bitch.jpg
36KB, 480x480px
>>44850845
Salty bitch detected
>>
>>44854195
Revoker was ok. All the white hate bears, yeah kind of, the deck they naturally build is pretty uninteresting, and eventually they will print one that's good enough to make it a pillar.

The real fear is that spells will never get better, but creatures may to the point that vintage games will become more and more about playing creatures to counter their creatures, as opposed to having counter wars over tinkers and time vaults
>>
>>44854201
If he fucks you, publicly slam the shit out of his feedback. Bad business deserves a bad reputation. If he wants to hurt himself in the long run by jewing you over a few dollars, then let him lie in his bed.
>>
on a serious note, you niggers need to get into commander; competitively its on the rise, duel commanders a nice format in itself and its eternal.
You can even play tiny leaders in between games.
That or run budget decks in standard to shit on the DCI scoreboards

>Commander= Child of Alara alt-win con deck (duel commanders ban list doesn't contain coalition victory or most other win cons)

>Tiny leaders= Marath will of the gardens, Aleisha who smiles at budgets and Isumaru, puppy of konda
>>
File: 20160117_204150.jpg (2MB, 3200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_204150.jpg
2MB, 3200x1920px
>>
>>44854275
Proxy tournaments aren't going anywhere, the chicken-littleing was for nothing
>>
>>44854255
Everyone noticed. Everyone else has alread gotten over it and realized that it was the only sane thing to do as the prize dump would have been much worse if it hadn't been reprinted.
>>
>>44854296
>you niggers need to get into commander
Sorry I dont play kitchen table.
>>
>>44853937

It is. Pendulum summoning is so fun, it gives me goosebumps every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-lfqtY9DnQ
>>
>>44854296
>Commander= Child of Alara alt-win con deck (duel commanders ban list doesn't contain coalition victory or most other win cons)

Sheeeeit, that sounds pretty entertaining. I always thought it was horseshit that Coalition Victory was banned.
>>
>>44854314
>the one format that prides itself on creativity
>the one format that doesn't revolve around the biggest wallet
>the one format that in multiplayer requires you to actually interact and work with opponents

nice autism you have there bra
>>
>>44854311
hardly gotten over it seeing the amount of tears and articles over the web about it. People are dropping out of standard and modern like flies
>>
>>44854327
Duel commander has made the commander idea realistic and 1v1. Being able to avoid play sets is a thing of beauty
>>
>>44854328
>>44854328
>the one format that prides itself on creativity
>the one format that doesn't revolve around the biggest wallet
>the one format that in multiplayer requires you to actually interact and work with opponents
Kitchen Table magic?
>>
>>44854303
Wow, full Australian Bordered deck. Nice.
>>
>>44854328
>oh shit I don't have a come back. Better call him autistic!

What you are describing is not competitive magic. There's nothing wrong with it, but it isn't comparable
>>
>>44854303
I love it. BW grind it out, Best of luck on your next tournament. BW Grind/Tokens is severely underplayed in many metas.
>>
Are Planeswalkers necessary to be a competitive Magic player? They seem very powerful, like Magic's response to Synchro and XYZ monsters in YuGiOh.
>>
>>44854351
Mature. Have fun blowing $$$ on cards that get banned when they do well
>>44854357
Just because it isn't standard or modern doesn't make it not competitive. Duel commander is played at tournaments
>>
>>44854296
>duel commanders
Force of Will?
>>
>>44854328
>doesn't revolve around the biggest wallet

don't have you to play like imperial seals and shit in this to stay competitive?
>>
>>44854373
Nah.
>>
>>44854374
>Duel commander is played at tournaments
Yea man I see people cubing at the side tables of GP all the time too.

Glad you are having fun.
>>
File: hot buttered memes.png (1MB, 1655x804px) Image search: [Google]
hot buttered memes.png
1MB, 1655x804px
memes here!

get your hot, buttered memes right here!
>>
>>44854355
this gave me a chuckle
>>
>>44853595
How much will this snap be worth?
>>
>>44854357
It's only not supported competitively because people could actually make a cheap as dirt deck that wins, and that wouldn't be good news for Merchants of the Coast and StarofDavid Games who need people buying packs and singles respectively.

The playerbase and popularity of the format could easily fill a competitive environment.
>>
>>44854355
criminally underrated post right here
>>
>>44854373
Depends on the deck. Lots of them are powerful, but there are a ton of decks that don't play them. Planeswalkers aren't even the most expensive cards a lot of the time. Yeah Jace, Lili, and Karn are super expensive but most of the others cap out at $20-30 when they're played in standard then fall back down to less than $10 when they rotate out.
>>
>>44854378
commanders card limit is 100 including your general sadly
>>44854384
not at all, its a bonus but isn't life threatening
>>44854389
It's interesting the "league/division" attitude competitive players get in all sports. Seriously mate, build a budget duel commander and give it a whirl, you'll change your mind
>>
>>44854393
Am I the only one who thinks this is too many creatures
>>
>>44854374
100 card singleton has too much variance to be competitive. Its a game of drawing the right part of your deck, or having 5 different cards that do the same thing.
>>
>>44854408
No.
>>
>>44854393
Grixis Delver. It is a deck that does super value. NO SNAPS? NO SNAPS?
NO SNAP HULK MAD!!!!
>>
>>44854413
I can tell you don't play commander often, no offence
>>
File: 1382338765262.jpg (3KB, 109x120px) Image search: [Google]
1382338765262.jpg
3KB, 109x120px
>>44854399
about $42
>>
>>44854404
If you make it a competitive format then you have a meta and a best deck. The guy that bought all the most powerful cards is going to win.
>>
File: 1426125119012.png (343KB, 942x942px) Image search: [Google]
1426125119012.png
343KB, 942x942px
>>44854405
What does Australian border mean anyway?
Do you mean black border?
>>
>>44854407
>competitive players get in all sports
Its more of someone throwing a nerf ball in a trashcan and wondering why people dont take wastebasket ball as seriously as they do normal basketball.

Why are you trying to shill your shitty casual format in the modern general anyway?
>>
>>44854423
I played it, but I don't anymore. I don't enjoy playing formats where building the best deck is frowned upon, and eliminating people from the game makes you a monster
>>
File: 1379458994642.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1379458994642.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>44854434
they're upside-down you mong
>>
>>44854441
A competitive modern thread at that.
>>
>>44854434
upside down cards

You should really feel bad that I had to explain that to you
>>
>>44854441
have fun with your most well played and crucial cards being banned year on year. Eventually you will quit or swap formats. Also, football is kicking a bit of leather between two metal posts; we can make anything sound retarded if we break it down.
I'm here because modern is dying and becoming as boring as standard
>>44854447
Then play duel commander, its 1v1
>>
>>44854416
no counterspells, either. i don't think that kind of delver is good without daze and force, so i'm going aggro with swifty and abbot instead of 'oh i just lose to leldrazi and etc.' with countermagic, scour and fish.
>>
>>44854328
>>44854374
I can't believe you are talking about French Commander here.

Where decks price tags can make legacy decks blush, the tournaments consist of 30 dudes because its a non supported format, where they banned fucking top of all cards.
>>
>>44854296
>Tiny Leaders
Oh man that was hilarious all two months of its existence.
>>
>>44854538
>can
>CAN

Decks win without the top tier cards. 30 is highly unrealistic but alrighty
>>44854546
This isn't some Eldrazi shit, its still around I'm afraid; once again it doesn't agree with Merchants of the Coasts ideology though
>>
>>44854546
I remember it getting shilled to hell and spammed in every mtg group I was in.
Then literally nothing, I had completely forgotten it was a thing.
>>
>>44854580
It's because it's not casual enough to be fun nor is it competitive enough to be fun. Also it was supposedly solved? not sure though.
I played it a bit, pretty sure it was made to sell usually unplayed cards, like the 93/94 format. Fuck that format.
>>
>>44854580
I thought people actually tried playing it then realized it was neither fun nor interesting
>>
>>44854599
I'd play 98/99 mtg. Turn 1 unmask, swamp, dark rit, necro, pay 6, go
>>
>>44854612
>>44854599
its still fun but tiny leaders would never be competitive due to its tiny pool of leaders available.
Like any new toy or fad it doesn't stay popular forever. Its made for play between rounds

Either way it beats a turn 4 format; I'd rather play vanguard for the tits on the cards
>>
>>44854546
I laughed at the idea of Tiny Leaders too. Now nobody talks about it.

Typical. I wasn't skeptical about it because of what it was; I was dismissive of it because people playing Magic can't commit to fuck-all. They have a dozen decks "on-the-go" when the money/effort can be focused on one deck and it would be actually ready to go. People are always proposing ideas but don't have the fortitude to see it through.

I had an EDH deck and Duel Commander deck built for about a year before they showed up at my store. When the store experimented with the formats I was ready and committed. Then I learned that people did not enjoy the experience because I actually showed up with something good.

So fuck new formats.
>>
>>44854643
I feel your pain. My store doesn't have heating and is in a shitty warehouse in the centre of Liverpool. If you don't circle jerk standard or modern then you're an outsider.
Best bet is just travel to better stores that do play it or travel to tournaments? I have 6 after May this year abroad
>>
File: 1417158457305.gif (220KB, 286x119px) Image search: [Google]
1417158457305.gif
220KB, 286x119px
>>44854428
>3/5ths joke falls flat

that was a good-ass joke you philistines.
>>
>>44854668
Thats too obtuse anon.

By including the original price in the statement it would have worked. You could have gone full caveman and said 3/5's of a normal one also.
>>
File: 6e2bfe90a98f3d2f31cf7968bd468375.jpg (182KB, 1024x750px) Image search: [Google]
6e2bfe90a98f3d2f31cf7968bd468375.jpg
182KB, 1024x750px
So I'm going to be leaving my shitty small town in about a year, what's the best place to be for playing (competitive) magic in the US?
>>
>>44854691
One of the two coasts
>>
>>44854599
I don't think anybody makes up formats to sell cards. I genuinely believe they are just flexing their creativity and want to try new things. And they just share the ideas with the rest of the global Magic community.

That being said I can't believe people get so bored so easily. How much Magic do you have to fucking play to exhaust a fresh Sealed/Draft format every 3 months, Standard, Eternal formats, and EDH. And Cube.

"Look at all the variety in ways to play!" Fuck variety. It just means the limited player pool's attention is distracted by a billion formats and nothing runs or becomes boring because not enough people are playing a format to achieve variety.
>>
>>44854668
Honestly $42 could also be a Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.

When making a 3/5th joke would have been better on a more basic level.

Comedy when way to subtle is like the onion without sarcasm.
>>
>>44854700
>And Cube
No one gets bored of Cube.

Draft is dependent on the set, the last few blocks have been stupidly narrow to draft which makes it boring as sin after 2-3 times.
>>
>>44854697
Figures. Shits expensive and id probably have to live in a big city which would be awful

>>44854700
Disagree desu. With the 93/94 format they specifically said you can't play with reprinted versions of cards. So you have to play with the originals, which were convinently jacked up in price.
>>
>>44854744
>With the 93/94 format they specifically said you can't play with reprinted versions of cards. So you have to play with the originals, which were convinently jacked up in price.
Are you fucking serious? Fuck that. And fuck them. If I gave half a shit about that format and built a deck and someone told me it wasn't legal because it wasn't "original printings" I'd castrate them on the spot.

>>44854736
>No one gets bored of Cube.
Exactly. Most Cubes, regardless of composition or theme, have a shelf life of at least 10 drafts until people figure out what's good and it takes another 20 drafts until people break it in half.
>>
>>44854772
>A total of seven sets are allowed in the format; Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends and The Dark. Non-English versions and reprints after Unlimited are considered proxies, and 93/94 is not played with proxies. The hard, time consuming and expensive road to build most decks is considered an important feature of the format. You play with what you own, and try to find what you need.
http://oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/p/historik.html?m=1
Isn't their philosophy so fucking cute
Most pretentious bullshit of all time
>>
File: 1382336684324.png (16KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
1382336684324.png
16KB, 200x300px
>>44854686
>>44854716
fair points
>>
>>44854795
I wish I had a vocabulary big enough to describe with precision how ridiculous that limitation is.
>>
>>44854818
It was a good joke anon, I will probably steal it around friends but with zero subtlety.
>>
File: 1451320704060.png (199KB, 640x530px) Image search: [Google]
1451320704060.png
199KB, 640x530px
>>44854829
I don't think words can describe their smug
>>
>>44854772
Creation of Modern:
Starcitygames & Friends had a gluttony of cards in the "modern" block. Starcitygames went to DCI and WotC and they strong armed the company into making the fun and diverse format.

Format was born out of a large card seller needing to sell a massive bulk of cards.

Created: And subsequently officially codified on August 12, 2011
>>
>>44854691
Somewhere in the Ohio Valley if you're interested in the SCG Open Series. Cheap housing, yokels to farm for IQ/PTQ shits, 3-10 hour driving time to pretty much every Open. Close to Michigan in case of HAPPENING.
>>
>>44854744
Virginia is stupid cheap and puts you next to SCG's headquarters and a bunch of opens and big cities.
>>
>>44854889
>>44854908
Thanks friends, I'm gunna check these out as well
>>
>>44854925
Check out Oregon. Portland is bullshit prices for rent, but everywhere else is pretty good.
>>
>>44854908
Hey I am currently in Maryland. Have you seen the snap casters (Twitch Streamers) in the Maryland / Virginia (Curio Cavern) / Washington D.C. Area?
>>
Just put the bulk of my collection on MKM, comes to 2110 euros because before I'd even finished listing, someone had bought my Urborgs. Fuck this game.
>>
>>44854996
What is MKM?
>>
>>44849229
Made a jeskai combo, missing the birds though. Gonna have 16 lands.
What do you guys think, r8/h8

Might add a faithless looting for dat digging, also fatestitcher
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>44855047
forgot pic whoops
>>
>>44855039
european card market for magic cards, they do their own tournament series even though its only two years in
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>44855058
holy fuck
>>
>>44855058
T2 Jeskai Ascendancy Kills
Net Mana, Play Probe
Rinse Repeat, and then glimmering wish them to death. Cool deck.
You can Flesh/Blood the massive mana dork for 20+ damage.
T3: Safer with Carytaid (Hexproof)

That deck ripped my face. I was playing Grixis Delver and he comboed through 2 remands.
>>
File: ayyyyyy.jpg (432KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyyy.jpg
432KB, 2048x1152px
all hail the Dredge King
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>44855087
this the sb so far.
Missing wear/tear, kioras follower, scarscale ritual, fiery justice, 2 swan song and a shoal
>>
>>44855104
Dredge vine can rip into an unprepared meta. A prepared meta will keep you from combo, but allow you to do the slower value kill.
>>
>>44855134
holy shit learn to take a picture famiglia
>>
>>44855104
I love me some vengevine. Dope archtype, it's golgari as fuck.
>>
>>44855151
i know... baka
my phone flips em when i post
>>
File: Image.jpg (26KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
26KB, 223x310px
Modern reprint WHEN?
>>
>>44855184
>I'll take Thing That Will Never Happen for 500, Alex.
>>
>>44852328
wow you literally know zero about the reserved list, huh - top-tier fanfic though

anybody who played when Chronicles was out knows Chronicles was 95% hot garbage same as every other set. Nobody took a loss on Chronicles but whiny cunts who should never have started playing the game, and who now seem to have the most influence over WotC's every move
>>
>>44854865
search is coming up blanks, source?
>>
File: en_qwaVdKGXfL.png (195KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_qwaVdKGXfL.png
195KB, 265x370px
Is Eldrazi a meme deck?
>>
>>44852799
Chalice of the void on one
GG
>>
>>44855291
/th/ thinks every deck is a meme deck. It seems to me that Eldrazi.dec might be the real deal, the question being if it can keep up in the coming years as it won't get any new threats for at least three to four years. It's ridiculous mana base might be enough to keep it alive though.
>>
>>44855431
>Ramping into dumb value creatures
How could that NOT be the real deal? How exactly are fair decks meant to compete with that?
>>
>Currently Playing?
Love and money aka hate bears aka giant side board the deck
>Brewing/Finishing?
Naya.... idduno it's feel slow but I love all the cards
>Sideboard Tech?
I'm thinking or trying that flying hippo instead of torpor orb
Aggro.... but aggro that fucks there shitty stupid "I'm gonna blah blah my blah blah" deck into the ground.
>Next MTG Purchase?
That flying hippo thing. maybe that black rhino
>>
File: 1452603248363.png (42KB, 200x173px) Image search: [Google]
1452603248363.png
42KB, 200x173px
>>44854322
Imagine if a broken mechanic like this existed in Magic. I set Memnite and Emrakul as my pendulum scale cards, now I can cast any creature spell that costs between 0 and 15 FOR FREE. I drop my hand and win, good game :^).
>>
>>44854393
Dies to VOICE
>>
So now that Twin is banned do you think it's a good time to pick it up for kitchen table magic once the price drops?
>>
>>44854393
>delver
>no countermagic
>no snaps

Tier 3 burn senpai
>>
>>44855711
Tempo != Counterspells. Delver is supposed to be a proactive deck, not a reactive one. Remand gets away with it because cycling keeps tempo up so god damn hard.
>>
>>44855798
Then why not run remand? Is it really worth playing blue just for vapor snag? Where's the tempo in that list? You're basically just trying to goldfish and you can't beat burn with delver in pure goldfishing.

Delver without spell snare/leak/remand or similar is just a meme based on people overrating delver imo
>>
How do you guys feel about a Jeskai Prowess deck

1-3x Snap
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Monastery Swiftspear
Maybe some Abbots or Monastery Mentors?
-----
??x cantrips and dumb shit
4x Jeskai Ascendancy
-----

It's just kind of a lose thought, but I like the idea of just pumping with burn and draw spells and swinging
>>
>>44855855
Not my deck, I'm just saying that Delver decks don't really run "countermagic".
>>
>>44855861
The problem is that you're trying to force a cute little theme rather than just focusing on how you're going to deal maximum damage to your opponent. If you want to play efficient threats, Delver, Snapcaster, and Pyromancer are generally what you should be considering. Swiftspear gets a look in too.
>>
I've figured out how wizards can save modern:

1. Appoint an independent committee to manage the bans and unbans. Committee should be composed of volunteers from pro community, and other community pillars. Nobody who has affiliations with a card shop allowed.

2. Return to Timespiral; Back to the Future set after Return to Innistrad. It's a standard rotation set, but it's really just modern masters 3 with some new time themed cards. Fetches, Duals, and Tarmogoyf printed at uncommon.

In one masterful stroke, WotC would create both the greatest modern format, the two greatest standard formats, and the greatest limited format to ever exist.
>>
>>44854441 >>44854700 >>44855683 >>44854385
"There may be little honor in my tactics, but there is no honor in losing."
>>
>>44855889
But that's wrong.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/grixis-delver-primer/

This version of the deck doesn't even run Remands at all but it does run one copy of Dispel and two Mana Leaks in the main.
>>
>>44855931
And you know what else? It's SHIT. So go ahead, run whatever cards you like in a shit deck. Just don't think that it means anything.
>>
>>44855946
Everyone already knows that Delver is a trap in Modern. The much more pressing issue right now is how wrong you were and how much cock you suck.
>>
File: 20160118_140446.jpg (547KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160118_140446.jpg
547KB, 1280x960px
>>come at this shit
>>
>>44855969
The list you linked has done nothing in Modern, so I don't see how I'm wrong. Delver is all about playing efficient threats to push lethal through. Mana Leak doesn't really achieve anything Remand doesn't also achieve, especially right now when Lightning Bolt is as good as useless in Modern.
>>
I play Storm, will I like Living End?
>>
>>44855977
No. Storm takes skill to play. Living End is more "oops, I win" about 37% of the time, with "oops, you beat my easily disruptable combo" about 63% of the time.
>>
>>44855976
I'd also like to point out that every single Grixis Delver list that has performed at all in Modern have played actual counterspells.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11053&d=262879&f=MO
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=10885&d=262126&f=MO
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9805&d=256547&f=MO
>>
From what I've played against the Memerazi decks, it seems that it's a perfect coin toss, either they have 2-3 IoKs and or Thoughtseizes followed by Seers and paths for your threats with Ulamog at some point or they just do nothing and die over.
>>
>>44856072
what color were you playing against?
>>
>>44856129
Mostly against monoblack, seen some BW with the paths as well.
>>
>>44856133
I wonder why BG isn't more common. Ancient Stirrings seems like a perfect fit for the deck.
>>
>>44853974
It is, but last time I checked it's pretty expensive to buy now compared to the singles you'd want out of it.
>>
>>44856151
The deck is consistently good, it just needs early removal.
>>
I just started getting into Magic. I bought the brave the battle intro pack and ordered an origins fat pack and a deck builder's toolkit. Did i fuck up?
>>
>>44856195
Yes
>>
>>44856164
But playing BG gives you access to the best early removal spell in the format.
>>
>>44856199
How so?
>>
>>44856195
>I just started getting into magic
>did I fuck up?
Yes.
>>
>>44856219
you just started one of the most expensive hobby
>>
>>44856195
Only if you want to play competitively. Playing casual with friends is a good first step as it allows you to evaluate wether you actually enjoy the game enough that you're willing to spend the kind of money you need to spend on this game to be competitive.
>>
>>44856195
get jace and you are good if you sell it.
if not,yes,you are fucked
>>
>>44855970
>4 Mana Tithe
>>
Someone link me a good UB Eldrazi list.
>>
>>44855970
just the cards i have,no helixes no charms no bridges
>>
>>44855906
you're letting your salt levels show on this one, twin player
>>
I am reluctant to ask here because LOL MODERN ONLY
But gonna ask anyway.
Anyone here play Legacy?
Anyone here play more than one deck? In legacy or ANY FORMAT
Anyone here have advice for a guy that owns the two best decks in a format but doesnt really play much let alone ever?
I own Lands and Miracles, I don't really care about this game as much anymore, I know I will one day, But I also know it will be years and years and years before I can settle down and play professionally, (LOL I NEED TO WORK FOR THE NEXT 40 years!!!!!!! LOL #REAL LIFE}
Should I sell my decks and just keep a proxied out deck around? I don't 'need' the money per say, but I don't need the decks either. I am living comfortably at 10.50 an hour+over time.

TLDR is this hobby worth keeping a $3000 deck over? or should I be enjoying life?
>>
>>44856626
If it was me I'd probably sell the cards. By the time you're prepared to play the game again chances are no one in your area plays Legacy anyway.
>>
What's a good starting modern deck( plus sidebboard) that isn't burn? I'm looking to proxy up a deck to try out tonight. If it helps I'm used to playing aggro and combo decks.
>>
>>44856542
Actually I only play budget homebrews because I'm poor, but better than you.

The twin ban was silly though.
>>
Hm, do I really wanna buy into the Eldrazi meme deck with OGW coming up? I'm heavily debating selling out of Auras/Bogles.
>>
>>44856626
Keep your decks. Play when you can. In 40 years that deck could be worth 10 times what it is now or more, assuming WotC is still in business.

Sell bulk; don't sell decks.
>>
>>44856699
Oh, hi me! I saw you this morning at the other side of the mirror!
You were sleepy, I waved at you and waved back at me, hihi
>>
>>44856699
>but better than you.
Yeah, you are now that Twin is banned.
>>
>>44856944
Not the same anon. But I do too make my own brews and I never had a problem with Twin since I did brew thinking to myself: "Can I beat twin?"
Now that it is gone I have so much more options to work with but also much more things to worry about (tron) ...sigh it was easier for me before the bannings I got to start brewing all over again for a new meta but I like change
>>
>>44855325
Would Spell Snare be able to counter Chalice in response? Never occurred to me about converted mana costs in X spells.
>>
>>44857096
yes
>>
>>44855540
It's gonna be the real deal, there are almost no answers in Modern to a turn 2 Thought-Knot Seer
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>Mfw being a new magic player and trying to understand all the different formats and bans and restrictions

Whats the normal etiquette for what people usually play as casual games?
Modern? Standard?

Am I right in thinking modern format is essentially cards from sets released in the last decade roughly?
>>
>>44857204
A turn 2 4/4 with ability to rip apart hands

>That is magical Christmas land.
>>
>>44857291
either go all in and learn modern/legacy or draft. standard is for plebs.

modern is everything since mirrodin (2003) with the exception of some banned cards found here

http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/bannedrestricted
>>
>>44857291
Most casuals would probably be playing Standard or Modern decks depending on the cards they run.

Modern covers everything released as far back as 8th edition, which was released in 2003, but Standard only consists of Khans of Tarkir and onwards for now, and rotates around every 1 1/2 years now.
>>
>>44857293
My UW/Esper Control player friend is in denial about this card.

I want to bop him on the head hard.
>>
>>44849763
Holy fuck I am laughing so hard
>>
>>44857204
Turn 2 is a little difficult to do.
>>
>>44857096
Chalice has a cmc of zero unfortunately Anon.
>>
>>44855259
youkai shoujo monsuga.
>>
>>44857481
on the stack it's converted mana cost includes the value of X. void for 1 has a cmc of 2 until it resolves.
>>
>>44857481
On the stack it has the cmc equal to the values chosen for x.
>>
>>44857509
Worded that a little wrong, a chalice at 1 would have a cmc of 2 on the stack(but nowhere else).
>>
Me and my friends decided to prxoy out vintage decks, have fun with your expensive cardboard, scrubs!
>>
File: Free Delver.png (49KB, 952x340px) Image search: [Google]
Free Delver.png
49KB, 952x340px
>>44854393
Posting my Delver list again, loving the free spells to catch people off guard and Trickbinding fetches is fun. I've been going back and forth between Trickbind and Squelch though, any thoughts? With the pitch spells that fact that Squelch cantrips is nice, but split second and hitting triggers is also great.
>>
DONT ANY OF YOU NIGGER SEE LOAM POX DECKS BEING GOOD IN THIS META HOLY SHIT. DEFEATS INFECT,BOGLES, and storm ez pz. Tron is an alright match-up, and for eldrazi desu senpai their win cons will be discarded before they play them.
>>
>>44856740
No dont sell bogles wtf senpai its a good deck.
>>
>>44856697
storm is cheap af or you can try jeskai ascendacy.
>>
>>44857375
That's funny because as far as I've seen TKS and company absolutely destroy control decks.
It's gonna be a baptism by fire I guess
>>
>>44856626
I'm putting together temur delver. In legacy. Used to play jeskai Stoneblade but sold out to pay off some debt.
>>
>>44849229
>>44858822
>>44858822
>>44858822
>>44858822
new
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.