[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Pauper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 8

File: rip.png (343KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
343KB, 312x445px
I want to get into Pauper, since they added leagues it now seems like decent option to play online once in a while.

Looking for a control deck is UB Teachings a good choice?

Also how will the Cloud of Faeries ban affect the format?
>>
Acid Trip is best girl.
>>
RIP my faerie tribal. Gimme something fun to play in pauper since i no longer have the second best creature in my deck, nor enough playable faeries.
>>
>Also how will the Cloud of Faeries ban affect the format?
The top 2 decks prior to the ban both ran it. Esper Familiar needed it pretty bad, so it's not really a thing any more. People are arguing about how bad mono-U needed it but it certainly helped.
>>
Any thoughts about my brew?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infinite-capsize-1st-draft/
>>
>>44848803
4 About Face
4 Tireless Tribe
4 Nomads en-Kor
4 Daru Spiritualist
4 Fling
4 Benevolent Bodyguard
4 Task Force
4 Inside Out
9 Plains
8 Mountain
4 Apostle's Blessing
3 Boros Garrison
4 Bonesplitter
SB: 3 Standard Bearer
SB: 4 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 3 Revoke Existence
SB: 4 Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

Combo is always fun.
>>
>>44847703
>Also how will the Cloud of Faeries ban affect the format?
MUH DELVER.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
>>44852564
Ok now I need a replacement faerie because the counter one and the ninja depended on it
>>
>>44853617
I'd say the m15 fae that draws a card if you have another one, 1/1 flying.
>>
>>44853617
>>44853667
Isn‘t it better to just go UB now?
>>
>>44856016
Muh aryan purity.

Maybe.
>>
>>44853667
Faerie Miscreant, and it's from Origins.

That's what I'm going with.
>>
>>44857129
Feels pretty shit, but can cantrip by playing it.

Might try UB. Or just play Tron.
>>
>>44857166
I'm going to try it.

You can still hold up force spike or spell pierce on turn 2, it's not as good but it's not entirely awful. U delver will still be competitive .
>>
Bone Saw is my waifu
>>
File: dega disciple.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
dega disciple.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
oh hi
>>
>>44857491
>3 color
Seems pretty shit
>>
>>44857508
It's really not
>>
>>44857540
3 types in pauper is pretty awful, and mardu is just awful in general.
>removal for days tho.

Post dick.
>>
DELVER ON SUICIDE WATCH.
>>
>>44857602
Delver deserves it
>>
>>44857602
Delver will survive
>>
>>44857980
>>44858209
I wish they would have taken snap too.
>>
>>44857602
I don't really care about Delver but that ban killed basically the last real combo deck.
>>
>>44861078
I blame the jews.

They should have banned delver. I say this as a delver player too, delver is broken and pretty much killed all blue control decks.
>>
>>44852300
Why Bonesplitters?
>>
>>44862058
great weapon
>>
I love pauper as a format since its cute and cheap for a competetive format and I can use the decks to play casually with my mates, I love my sliver deck.

But please, can they ban delver already?
blue/red control and mono blue control is so fucking boring and predictable.
>>
>>44862331
They banned cloud, again showing they're fucking deluded.

The excuse was "Muh familiars"
>>
>>44847703

Familiars is RIP, mono U delver needs a replacement - next best thing is probably faerie miscreant, 1/1 flying for U, draws you a card ETB if you control another one, so it has some synergy with notdh, also being another 1-drop to enable turn 2 ninja, and works with spellstutter.

It's obviously not as strong as cloud, since you have to play it turn 1 for spellstutter to work properly on turn two, which means you cannot delver/ponder/preordain, and if you do play delver turn one, you can't play miscreant and still have mana up for a counterspell.

Overall though, as much as I like cloud of fae (mono U delver being one of my pauper decks), it's not that big of a hit (i'll just have to go and get miscreants now).

>>44848803
well, what do you want to play? I am currently leaning towards UB Angler Delver and Boros Kitty Blues as my favourite decks (also playing Tron and MBC).

>>44849008

"pretty bad" is an understatement - CoF was necessary for it to combo.

The biggest winner, IMO, is Tron, since it had no game vs familiars.

Delver is fine - sure, it is the best blue creature in the format, but much of the strength of mono U delver came from the insane synergies in that deck, rather than delver itself.

There's plenty of decks that have no problems with delver (the creature).
>>
>>44862415
>tron
TRON STRONG.
KILL ALL FORMAT.

SOON YOU TOO LEGACY.

Post your trons
>>
>>44862448
UW tron reporting in.
>>
>>44862408
What excuse? Familiars was neither too fast nor too powerful. It was a sweet deck and the only combo deck remaining. They just fucking hate combo, don't they?
>>
>>44862408
Was the Familiar deck ever even that good? I don't get to play Pauper that often, but every time I faced it, it was basically nothing.
>>
Pauper had great archetype diversity before this ban, now there are zero options for combo players. Fuck WOTC:
>>
>>44862547
post list pls

>>44862638
Nope, just annoying if you're bad.
>>44862627
Wizards has no idea how to manage their formats at all.
>>
>>44862973
>Wizards has no idea how to manage their formats at all.
Hey, they do alright with Legacy. Granted, that's mostly by doing nothing at all.
>>
>>44863040
They do fine with legacy and vintage.
Because they don't put their filthy paws in. Yet every time they ban something they break it for years until it gets it's shit back together (also never revise the banned list, lmao earthcraft).
>>
File: Rhystic_Circle_Foil.jpg (249KB, 524x736px) Image search: [Google]
Rhystic_Circle_Foil.jpg
249KB, 524x736px
>>44862973
>Lands
4x Urza's Tower
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Tranquil Coast
2x Remote Isle
2x island
1x Plains

>Artifacts
4x Expedition Map
4x Prophetic Prism
4x Azorius Signet

>Enchantments
4x Journey to Nowhere
2x Rhystic Circle
2x Oblivion Ring
>Instants

4x Condescend
3x Repeal
1x Overrule
1x Capsize
1x Scour from Existence

.Creatures
4x Mulldrifter
4x Sea Gate Oracle
3x Ulamog's Crusher

>Sideboard
2x Curse of the Bloody Tome
2x Outwit
2x Hydroblast
2x COP:red
2x Ray of Revelation
1x Dispel
2x Relic of Progenitus
1x Kaervaks Torch
1x Capsize
1x Electrickery
>>
This is the combo-ish deck I'm currently running. Post-Sideboard, it transforms into weird sort of reanimator.

4 Krosan Tusker
4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Architects of Will
1 Viscera Dragger
4 Monstrous Carabid
4 Pit Keeper
3 Fume Spitter
3 Crypt Rats
2 Satyr Wayfinder

3 Consume Spirit
1 Haunting Misery
4 Songs of the Damned
3 Gnaw to the Bone
3 Grisly Salvage

2 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
2 Mountain
6 Swamp
1 Barren Moor
1 Tranquil Thicket

SB: 3 Jungle Weaver
SB: 3 Elvish Aberration
SB: 2 Gurmag Angler
SB: 2 Violent Outburst
SB: 1 Gnaw to the Bone
SB: 4 Exhume
>>
New to pauper here, was building Delver pauper when this got banned.

Is Delver still gud now?
>>
>>44863300
Best card in the format probably
>>
>>44863326
>Best card in the format probably

probably. Though Gurmag Angler is pretty close - a 5/5 is pretty hard to kill, especially when it dodges doom blade, ghastly demise, and victim of night.
Plus, a turn 2 flipped delver isn't all that scary, when UB can have angler out by then.
>>
is suicide black a thing in pauper I'm very bummed i've never been able to T1 dark ritual -> carnophage -> hymn to tourach
>>
>>44865806

hymn isn't pauper legal. It's an uncommon in the only mtgo printing afaik.
>>
>Chucklefucks of the Coast: Blue is too strong in Pauper, 9 of the 10 most played cards are blue, we need to fix this
>DCI: Huh? What? Shit I don't know how blue works, that shit doesn't even exist in any format I know of. Uh, what creatures are good in Blue. Okay ignoring all this other garbage and Delver (people play instants and sorceries? But why?), Cloud of Faeries does things and I dunno, I guess it looks like it might be playable in Standard despite being Common? Seems banworthy to me
>Wizards of the Synagogue: Perfect, preordain and ponder are now useless since you don't get to play a creature on the same turn, wrap it up guys we've done it again
>>
>>44863679
That's why you should play both.
>>
>>44865876
Have you ever played pauper or are you just came raging from the Twin ban?
>>
>>44866481
you know me too well, Anon

I don't even play Twin, or Modern for that matter, I'm a pure Legacy player because I've always thought Modern was a shitty format, I'm just incredibly amused at how incompetent WotC is at everything
>>
>>44866542
Pauper's banlist is actually the best one. All cards deserve being there and wizards is very conservative with what gets a ban.

In the case of CoF, everyone could see it was going to get binned eventually. No surprises there.
>>
>>44866460
obviously. Angler Delver is well poised to take the mantle of dominance away from mono u delver.

It plays a lot like the psychatog decks of old.

The list I'm running at the moment:

4 delver of secrets
4 gurmag angler
1 sultai scavenger
2 umara entangler

2 deep analysis
1 ponder

4 accumulated knowledge
4 brainstorm
4 counterspell
2 chainer's edict
1 deprive
1 diabolic edict
2 ghastly demise
1 mana leak
3 mental note
4 thought scour
1 vendetta

4 evolving wilds
4 dismal backwater
7 island
4 swamp

haven't played the entangler much yet (previously ran stinky imp instead), but It looks quite decent.
>>
What are you usually playing online, 8mans, leagues or dailies?
>>
>>44867081
>2 Umara Entangler
Isn't the guy that draws you a card when it dies better?
>>
>>44867374

not sure I need a 1/1 flier. Replacing itself when it dies is neat, but I think I'd rather have a 2/1 prowess.
>>
what does ww look like in the format
>>
>>44867640
White weenies?

Soul warden, soul's attendant, a ton of things to make tokens, guardian's pledge
>>
File: 1442868405586.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1442868405586.gif
607KB, 800x792px
Who's waiting for Friday before theory crafting?
>>
>>44870201
What happens on friday?
>>
>>44865876
>Wizards of the Synagogue
Dredge antisemite/10
>>
What decks would dominate a no-banlist Pauper?
>>
>>44871668
>hating on dredge
Anon pls
>>
>>44872449
storm, most of the banned cards are storm pieces.
>>
File: 1447923192988.png (180KB, 458x533px) Image search: [Google]
1447923192988.png
180KB, 458x533px
>>44872449
jeskai artifacts
>>
>>44872503
yes,but all cards that make storm broken are not commons
>>
>>44872449
Storm, Infect, Affinity.
>>
>>44862058
Because Shuko is not legal and 4x Nomads en-Kor is too few targeting abilities. Bonesplitter is the least bad backup that allows us to use one mana per activation to pump Task Force if the game goes long. Four mana for equip activations and one mana for About Face is already 18 damage. It's also a not-completely-horrible backup aggro plan if the combo completely fails to work.
>>
>>44872512
Yes, and none of the cards that fuck storm in the pussy are common.
See the pattern here?
>>
>>44872501
>Hitler
>Evil
>Dredge
>Evil
Someone post the pasta.
>>
>>44872623

this. All the banned cards make storm possible (warrens/grapeshot/fissure), or make affinity and infect ludicrous (plating/invigorate). Even the "just broken" cards (frantic and cruise) make storm even sillier, and I don't think cloudpost could keep up.

Besides Cloud of Fae, which wasn't that much of a problem card, pauper has a very sensible banlist.

>>44872512

you still have all the draw, all the rituals (including rite and song), familiars, etc. Plus, you could very well abuse cloud and snap and frantic search. And you wouldn't even need to get that crazy with the storm count - just empty the warrens and bushwacker for the win.
>>
>>44867374
Jeskai Sage
>>
>>44873500

right, I was thinking about the faerie for some reason. Will give both a try.
>>
File: swarm of rats.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
swarm of rats.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
Okay, so to preface this, I don't do play pauper at all, so I have no idea of the meta at all. A friend and I thought it would be fun to whip up a pauper deck, him going mono-red and me going mono-black. I was pumped at using all those commons, and wanted to make a sort of rat tribal. Sadly, I didn't realize that the crowning card, pic related, was uncommon.

Anyone know of any good rat cards, or maybe some other sort types I could make a sweet tribal out of? I have a few rat samurai from kamigawa, which is gave me the idea in the first place.
>>
File: 45.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>44875966
Use gatherer. Swarm of Rats was printed as a common in Portal (ie. it's paper pauper legal, although it's not vailable in MTGO pauper). Pic related is also a common if you want a rat tribal.

Crypt Rats is the best rat in the format and whatever you play you want them.

Chittering Rats is for many the backbone of MBC (Mono Black Control) , one of the most solid T1 decks in the format.

Ravenous Rats is a solid card and Rotting Rats is also neat. Skullsnatcher allows you to replay them for extra value (or return Rottting Rats before the get exiled if you unearthed them).
>>
>tfw basking + mongrel synergy made it to stompy
It's such a good feeling holy shit
>>
>>44878030
>4 basking
"outplayed"
>>
>>44877545
Thanks man, I'll check it out! I'll got my ravenous rats, but I'll try and grab the ones you suggested, and look out for more combos.
>>
Would Relentless Rats be an OK downgrade from uncommon to common?
>>
>>44879063
I hardly see them breaking the format. I guess they'd play like GW slivers but in monoblack. I'd love them to be common.
>>
>>44879181
Making them common would also help them become a viable draft strategy. Uncommon is not good enough.
>>
How does pauper work with cards that were released in multiple rarities? Like one that was printed common and then reprinted uncommon, and vice versa?
>>
>>44873118
I am not familiar with this pasta
>>
File: PeasantBanlist.jpg (3MB, 2400x2720px) Image search: [Google]
PeasantBanlist.jpg
3MB, 2400x2720px
>>44875966 Make a Peasant deck. /shill
It's basically pauper with up to 5 uncommons.
(also a different banlist, pic related)
>>
>>44880084 ...also what >>44877545 said.
I really need to get into the habit of reading the whole thread before replying.
>>
>>44866734
Oh well, excuse my shitposting then if you'd be so kind.

Cloud of Faeries just seems so innocuous in comparison to Gush, Angler or Delver (though Delver and Angler are obviously quite a bit weaker when you can't play Brainstorms because you don't have fetches)
>>
>>44879830 The lowest rarity it's been printed *anywhere*.
ex: a card was printed at common only in MTGO, it is pauper legal in paper

One thing to be mindful of, Gatherer assigns rarities inconstantly in some older sets.
A full explanation of this can be found here (-> http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/casual-related-formats/paper-pauper-and-peasant/177219-casual-paper-pauper-peasant-forum-rules#c16), but most play groups will just use Gatherer's rarities.
>>
>>44880084
It's amazing how much the budget changes from no uncommons/rares to 5 uncommons at most
>>
>>44880084
Peasant has some cool decks, like Arcane Tide (Play high tide, then start playing Arcanes and Splicing Psychic Puppetry to untap lands and win by milling with spliced Dampen Thoughts).

Sadly, there's absolutely no support for it outside of some LGS that do events.

Here's a page with archetypes you can check: http://mtg-peasant.com/home/
>>
what are the beaters of choice for pauper tron?
>>
>>44880758
most lists i've seen have ulamog's crusher and/or hand of emrakul, but any chance of kozilek's pathfinder being an option?
>>
>>44880822
Doubt it. 5/5 with dependency on mana to be unblockable seems pretty bad compared to crusher.
>>
>>44881225
Yeah, IMO Crusher is irreplaceable in Tron.
But maybe as a 1 or 2 of.
>>
>>44880822
>>44880758

don't forget fangren marauder - a 5/5 that pumps you full of life whenever you crack an egg.
>>
>>44883428
that's pretty good, I'll definitely have to try it out. I feel like it could SB material against burn but I'll try MBing it
>>
>>44883608

most tron decks running green MB it. Now that gurmag angler is around, though, a 5/5 for 6 mana is nothing special, but the life gain is significant.

My current tron list:
4 fangren marauder
1 maul splicer
4 mulldrifter
2 sea gate oracle
3 ulamog's crusher

4 ancient stirrings
2 arc lightning
1 rolling thunder

4 scour from existence

1 aether spellbomb
4 chromatic sphere
3 chromatic star
4 expedition map
2 pyrite spellbomb

4 crumbling vestige
1 evolving wilds
1 forest
1 island
1 mountain
1 thornwood falls
4 urza's mine
4 urza's power plant
4 urza's tower
>>
>>44884781
thanks! i'll be sure to check this out
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.