[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 21

File: 1450661290907.jpg (614KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
1450661290907.jpg
614KB, 700x906px
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

>Ravenloft is comin' back, baby!
http://dnd.wizards.com/search/site/strahd

What are some homebrew options to make one-handed weapons worth using in a world where Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter exist?
>>
>>44845872
One handed weapons are more or less the domain of Rogues, Sword and Board or Bladesingers.

They (usually) will never out DPT Great Weapons, but they're generally a good option to take because by having a free hand you can sling spells (without spending a feat) or just give yourself a flat +2AC. Why be a damage dealer when you can make yourself a tar pit?
>>
Already a thread up >>44843295
>>
>>44846076
>>44845872
too bad coz this one seems a lot better and without a meme image...
>>
>>44845872
>>44846454
It is a pretty rad image, but I'm sure once the current thread ends the memers will migrate here.

On a side note I'm still relatively new to this board but it seems as if there has been a lot more shit posters recently. Am I only now noticing them or is it a recent problem?
>>
>>44845979

>Why be a damage dealer when you can make yourself a tar pit?

Presumably because you have no way to prevent them just walking around you to attack your allies? At least a 2HW is going to be more intimidating at opportunity attacks.
>>
>>44846704
Thats why you grab sentinel asap.
>>
>>44846669
it comes and goes in waves idk why...

but yes for the past few threads there have been people who have been trying to bait others i think...
>>
How much would I fuck things up if I had my players generate stats by rolling 3d6?
>>
Just made a new warlock. (My patron is an old one) and my party consists of a fighter and bard.
General build tips?
>>
Just made a new warlock. (My patron is an old one) and my party consists of a fighter and bard.
Can I get some general build tips
>>
>>44850112
Focus on utility and control spells. You'll get all the damage you need from Eldrich Blast (assuming you pick up the Agonizing Blast invocation)
>>
>>44849061
pretty bad. The fact is it's setup so that lose the lowest roll on one of the 4 dice, so that they have an average of higher stats that you would get compared to 3d6. The chance for multiple 14+ stats is dropped greatly.
>>
>>44850112
What's your Dex/Charisma?
>>
So I want to make a badass ranged Tempest domain Cleric that's really fucking wuxia. Thoughts?
>>
>>44845872
oh hey that's my bbeg*
>>
>>44851418
roll good stats so you can be a front liner without much fear

go half orc or v human with some feat to give you survivability so you can spend all your slots and actions on blasting
>>
So are there any official, or custom races for Goblins, Minotaur/Ogres, Skeletons/Zombies or human-comparable Angels/Demons?

I'm trying to wrangle D&D 5e into working for a Ravnica game, and I'd like to see if I can use stuff other people have made before I start making my own.
>>
>>44853000
Minotaurs are in Unearthed Arcana: Waterborne Adventures. They're the nautical-themed Dragonlance ones, but that's pretty easy to remove.
>>
>>44853000
Human-Comparable Angels/Demons? You mean, like, Tieflings and Aasimar? PHB and DMG.
>>
>>44850777
Des is 14 charisma 18
After race mods.
>>
>>44850112
Rest.A.Lot
>>
Ravenloft you day?
>>
Ravenloft you say?
>>
I DMd my first game today with a friend that had never played before. It's very generic but we both had fun.

>PC, Deandre the Archer, sits in a tavern chugging ale
>Two men bust through the door, carrying a third between them, dead a pelted with arrows
>They say they got ambushed by goblins and that their fourth member got dragged away, offer gold to anyone willing to help
>PC accepts and follows the river to the goblin hideout
>Fights some twig blights on the way to introduce him to combat
>Finds a sickly nerfed wolf at the entrance to the cave
>Gets rekt but ends up killing it
>Long rest
>Enters the cave, ambushes some goblins around a fire
>Gets rekt again and goes into death throws, succeeds and I let him revive with half HP
>Kills the goblins and continues through the cave
>Rolls a nat20 and front flips over a decaying bridge to the other side
>Sneaks up on a nerfed bugbear
>Again gets rekt, succeeds on death throws and the two men from earlier at the tavern swoop in and finish off the bugbear
>They turn on Deandre, revealing that there was no fourth party member and that the man they dragged in with them was someone they had killed themselves
>They just wanted some mook to go clear the cave for them so they could loot it
>Fight ensues, one bandit weakened during the bugbear fight goes down pretty easily
>PC tries to intimidate the other but rolls a 3
>Eventually second bandit gets knocked down to low HP and tries begging for his life
>Deandre gives no fucks but misses his next attack
>Manages to land an arrow on the bandit while he attempts to cross the river, body (and some of the loot) floats away
>Deandre returns to the tavern to chug more ale

Originally there was supposed to be 3 players but things came up so I just ran a solo sesh. Friend said he had a lot of fun once he started to understand the rules, and I tried working a decent amount of mechanics in their rather than RP both to get him familiarized and try not to take him out of his comfort zone.
>>
>>44845872
Personal homebrew:

Monks get magic initiate for free at lvl 2.

Yay or nay?

Or, all monks get to choose one of 3 new spell attacks at lvl3 they can use as bonus actions for 2 ki.

All of them use the Wis mod for bonus damage.

Flying swords - Magic swords or daggers are formed and plunged into any opponents within a 10ft range dealing 1d6+Wis mod force damage to all opponents within range. The die is increased by an additional 1d6 at lvl 6, lvl 9, lvl 12, lvl 15 and lvl 18.

Tribulation lightning - the user draws at the power of tribulation lightning to hit all targets within a 30 ft range as well as him self for a 1d8+Wis mod lightning damage. If the user has at least 1 Hp remaining he will regain 5 Ki and for the next Wis mod+1d4 turns his attacks will deal additional 1d4 lightning damage. The damage die of the spell attack is upgraded by 1d8 at lvl 7, at lvl 11, at lvl 15 and lvl 19.

Karmic wave - All opponent within a 30 ft range that are of the opposite alignment of the monk PC (Evil or Good) are hit by a visible wave of prismatic light that deals 1d6+Wis mod force damage, the damage die is upgraded by 1d6 at lvl 6, lvl 9, lvl 12, lvl 15 and lvl 18. (now you can smite with monks)
>>
> $0.05

aww yeah
>>
File: cleric.jpg (9KB, 236x275px) Image search: [Google]
cleric.jpg
9KB, 236x275px
So, whats a fun class to play level 10 and onwards?

My Cleric just ditched his party because of disagreements, and I need a new character to play.
>>
>>44855835
Warlock is my go-to ever since 3.5 and I played a warlock with the Demogorgon abyssal-bound soul feat. Sadly though, 5e warlocks possess no such demon summoning prowess.
>>
>>44855799
most monks I see are neutral desu
>>
>>44855985
It's just an option for the smite bot types.

Also most PCs are NeutralGood and can't help it so it still has high availability.

Tribulation lightning and Flying swords are however following the xianxia monk theme with flying swords being standard magic weapons and transcending lightning to get stronger being staple in most stories.
>>
>>44856026
Like Irelia and Kennen? :^)
>>
>>44855835
If you just want to go balls-to-the-wall, mid-level druids can solve each encounter in a different way without ever repeating themselves.
>>
>>44856055
And Shen.

Fucking stupid rework.
>>
>>44855835
A cleric of the exact opposite disposition and temperament of your last one.
>>
>>44850112
I'm also playing a GOO Warlock right now. Lvl 3 only, but still

Depending on how high in level your party is going, I highly recommend pact of the chain over the other two. It doesn't scale great, but having a CR1 quasit (ask your DM if you can use the variant familiar rules from the MM, too) do your bidding can be very convenient in, and out, of combat.
>>
Weekly session is tonight, /tg/. Any ideas for funny shit to do during downtime in the city?
>>
RAVENLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT
>>
File: 20160118_122012.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160118_122012.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>44845872
>>
Anyone ever run a Christmas themed adventure? I'm brewing one up, where essentially NotSanta is being held captive by the Demon Krampus in a fortress, and NotSanta's elves are laying siege.

In Narnia fashion, the players begin in a snowy forest where a satyr meets up with them, assuming them to be the secret strikeforce that's infiltrating the Fortress through a secret entrance.

Rate adventure from would play to would trash?
Monster suggestions?
Any other Christmas themed adventures?
>>
File: CurseofStrahd_video1.jpg (932KB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
CurseofStrahd_video1.jpg
932KB, 1920x1160px
>>44858135
>>
>>44857382
You the DM or player? If player what class / level?

Off the top of my head, instead of normal carousing, I've always liked the idea of building a business, or working with a specific artisan / craftsman and building a relationship so that later on, you have multiple people in different industries on retainer.
>>
>>44858366
Would play. Actually enjoyed some of the sillier shit way back when (like how every April until Srs Paizo is srs took over Dragon Magazine had wacky shit all over).
>>
File: cryorasque.jpg (115KB, 948x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cryorasque.jpg
115KB, 948x1000px
>>44858366
My players helped not!Elsa find her ice dragon, leading them to the former divine domain of the dead goddess of winter. There they discovered that not!Santa, the former leader of the Wild Hunt, had been betrayed by his right hand, a Satyr of the Night named Krampus, who had allied himself with Koliada (Winter Witch of the fey), backed by Cryonax (Elemental Prince of Cold), Orcus and Tiamat, seeking to release the imprisoned Cryorasque and let is loose upon the mortal world.

The dead goddess of winter, Khala, had previously allied herself with Cryonax in order to create the monster, but failed to set it free, and the alliance of gods that killed her also sent Turëatar, a mighty firbolg, to guard the realm, aided by a large quantity of gnomes supposed to keep the wards stable.
>>
>>44853000
There's a piece of decent homebrew for playing a Skelton/Revenant/Ghost
It's called Awakened Undead or something

The skeleton can use his arm as weapon
>>
>>44858698
I should add that the party isn't quite done yet, since we had to end the session during the final fight, where the players were facing an unholy hybrid of evil ice elemental and noble winter fey, atop the mind-controlled ice dragon of not!Elsa, that he was aiming to kill in order to fuel the ritual to release the Cryorasque.

Turëatar (not!Santa) also has a company of eight flying wolves, a spelljammer-sled that's bigger on the inside, and the ability to judge the soul of any mortal by looking at them.
>>
>>44858698
Now that's the kind of fun I've missed since 2e. Sounds so fucking tongue in cheek that it now has a hole in it.
>>
>>44858698
>>44858754
That's freaking beautiful man. Definitely gonna cop some of that and throw that in there.
>>
File: neogi.png (50KB, 442x463px) Image search: [Google]
neogi.png
50KB, 442x463px
>>44858761
We're doing 4e but it's also Spelljammer so 2e sounds about right.
>>
>>44858867
Thanks! My players had previously had a winter holiday adventure a couple of years back with not!Elsa - if you've run any previous holiday "episodes", it's kinda neat to tie them together.
>>
>>44858870
I meant the whole maximum overfun aspect.
>>
>>44859254
Yeah, Spelljammer is hard to do right if overfun is turned too low. Giant hamsters and all that.
>>
>>44858706
I dunno, Anon, it's overwritten to hell.
>>
>>44859314
Hell even Ravenloft was overfun. Especially played like it was a Hammer Horror campaign.
>>
>>44845872
I mean longswords/rapiers are already at the level of greatswords with the dueling fighting style. They don't have a sharpshooter/gwm-esque feat, but they get to use shields.
>>
>>44850754
Kids these days never knew the joys of rolling 3d6 in order.

>>44849061
The truth is that 5e is still playable with 3d6 stats, but it lends itself to a very different kind of campaign. It's usually assumed that adventurers are above-average people to begin with, even at level 1, but when you roll 3d6 for ability scores, the average roll is the same as the range defined as the actual human average, i.e. 10 or 11. Use 3d6 ability scores if you want your players to start out as more-or-less ordinary people facing extraordinary challenges. It'll be a little more gritty and deadly, and maybe your players are the kind of people who aren't happy unless their character sheets have all the biggest numbers on them, but when done right it can be intense. It's especially intense if you go 3d6 in order and try to make it work anyway.
>>
So I'm running my first 5e game, based on Dwarf Fortress. There's a lot of homebrew fluff and mechanics based mainly around the game, but nothing too crazy.

Anyone got any reading material involving Dwarf Fortress to give me some ideas of what they could encounter?

First thing they've done is go after a small goblin force that has kidnapped some local children, and second encounter is focused around a corrupted druid that is spreading rabies to the local wildlife.

Anything can do. Ideas, Copy-pasts, lore info. I've got what's on the wiki, the lore, and the Legends history of the world they're currently on, but other than that, any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>44860517
If you haven't read the saga of Boatmurdered, you should. A bunch of people played a campaign for an in-game year each and then passed the save file to the next guy. Then they wrote about it, often in-character. Because they couldn't just restart when things started going sour, it felt very real, and the inevitable disaster was that much more satisfying. Elephants were such a problem that individual elephants started earning names and being featured on all the dwarves' art. And you actually got to see in action the process of ancient secrets being lost - people not remembering or just not being told what all the levers do.
>>
Guys what if they release a new archtype for fighter with the release of ravenloft?

Knight of the Raven
>>
>>44860678
>[Raven Knighting Intensifies]
All of my yes.
>>
>>44860574
I've read boat murdered, and there is going to be a fortress explorable similar to that. Largely abandoned, but the mechanics inside are all hay-wire and navigating will be a deathtrap but with plenty of trade goods and precious trade-goods inside. (House rule is gold/platinum is rare/heavy, and most people can't afford it, but trade goods are a good source of income. The innkeeper can't accept four gold but will gladly accept a few pounds of salt/pepper. As the players receive reknown and attract followers, they'll receive a troupe to protect and manage their findings, ALA 2e DnD.) I've also read Syrupleaf which IS explorable in the glaciers to the south where the Ghoul of Lobsters presides (a 250,000 strong goblin force spread across the continent, with 25,000 at the capital alone, though this large number comes from the multiple goblin clans being aligned under that one major roof and includes slaves, acquisitions, allies, and summoned demons. actual force volume is about 180,000+ over the entire continent, so the biggest major contingent is about 300-400.)

I'm just making sure there isn't anything ELSE like other player stories or lore or idea's in general.

Places to explore doesn't mean they're memorable and NPC's are always a good idea.
>>
>>44860678
Looks more like a paladin oath.
>>
>>44845872
Whats the current year in faerun again?

Also, what homebrew you guys found at the guild that was worthwile and interesting?
>>
>>44860779
I saw a throwing weapons subclass that wasn't so bad. There are some decent monster stat blocks too. Haven't found anything super awesome yet, but I also haven't searched that hard either.
>>
>>44860756
>>44860517

Animals getting rabies would imply that the animals would behave themselves if they did not have rabies. In Dorf Fortress, animals need dorf flesh to get through the working day. It's not unnatural; it's just the way things are. Everything from the elephant to the lowly carp will stop at nothing to destroy you and all you hold dear.

Also, if there's going to be a comically.tragically mismanaged fortress plagued by structurally unsound stonework, malfunctioning doomsday devices, and the whimsically tyrannical demands of the nobility, it should not be an abandoned fortress that the PCs can explore for a day; it should be the one the PCs are currently living in. A campaign based on Dwarf Fortress should be like Paranoia but with more killer carp.
>>
>>44860779
Tyranny of Dragons happened in 1489 DR and Elemental Evil happened in 1491 DR. So it's probably something like 1493 DR.
>>
>>44860866
Thanks a lot, man.
>>
>>44860837
Currently, they're in a sub-standard Human Hamlet with a race superiority issue. The guards would certainly be wary of chasing goblins, but they most certainly won't raise a finger for a dwarven baby/child, which are what have been stolen. (Outcast dwarves from the Circle of Rings nearby.) There will be a hap-hazardly managed fortress.

As for the Rabid animals, you misunderstand. The animals are bad enough as they are, but they're at least PREDICTABLE enough. The rapid nature makes them unpredictable as hell, and almost fearless. They don't even react to being shot by arrows, or even musket fire!

In short, they make the animals nearly unbearable and are will probably wipe the hamlet out in a matter of a few weeks if things keep the way they are. People inside are beginning to run out of supplies but the trade caravan the PC's are currently hitching a ride with are supplementing their reserves.
>>
>>44860779
Genie origin sor had some cool fluff, but needs a shit load of balancing.
>>
>>44860913
>>Worthwhile and interesting
>This one's broken as shit.

C'mon, Anon.
>>
>>44860968
I digged the quirks and flaws, might add it as an option for genasi players.
>implying anyone play as that
>>
>>44860995
one guy has so far only played as elemental evil races in my dnd group. but he hasn't played genasi.

i kind of want to roll an earth genasi, but i'm stuck as human forever because no one else plays humans (half humans galore though) and i don't want to be in a humanless party

and my DM banned variant humans which is dumb but thats okay
>>
>>44861025
>My DM banned variant humans which is dumb
It's explicitly the DM's prerogative in the PHB.
>>
>>44861025
>i don't want to be in a humanless party
fuckin... why
>>
>>44861025
>ban on variant humans
why play humans then?!
Thats kind of a dick move of him.
>>
>>44860912
>Campaign based on Dwarf Fortress
>starting in a human town

I can think of two things wrong with this campaign.
>>
>>44861044
>thatdm detected
>>
>>44861065
>Has any limits placed upon their theorycrafted shitstorm of a build
>>"Waaaahhh, ThatDM!"
Okay.
>>
>>44861111
>builds
>5e
you want to greentext/meme me bro?
>>
>>44861064
Nobody rolled a dwarf!
One of the contingencies of this is that without a dwarf, the players start out at the Federation of Treaties responding to a call of aid from the Circle of rings, whose outward fortress (Based on a fortress I lost to Goblins, Were-creatures, ettins, and a necromancer; read:FUN) suddenly went silent. This outward property was the new major source of food/medicine and war supplies vs the Ghouls of lobsters and the Undead of the Crown.

Due a trident style assault of the Goblins, Undead, and a rogue Elf sect that abhors dwards, they're at a standstill and have offered 1000 platinum to anyone who can figure out what has happened and return back to tell the tale.
>>
>>44861052
Unless Feats aren't a thing in his game, I might agree with you.
>>
>>44861136
>feats arent a thing
thats the only scenario I would be ok with that.
Unless he gave me another good explanation.
>>
>>44861125
>Doesn't think builds are still a thing
Literally every /5eg/ contains somebody asking for them to rate their "build."
And no, I'm not going to "meme" you. Fuck off back to leddit.
>>
Variant Human is only optional because feats are. If you're using feats there's no real reason not to allow it.
>>
>>44858510
Any examples of some other goofy / silly adventures?
>>
>>44861166
>replys with memes and greentext
Bitch just got served.
>>
>>44861199
lvl 1 adventure, wererat hires evil party to get rid of humans living at the inn/tavern.
>>
>>44846917

Found your guy: >>44861206
>>
>>44861166
>>44861206
samefag.
>>
>>44861199
Lvl 3 adventure of a bunch of undead who have been thralled by a necromancer who dies to a heart attack from the strength of the spell and the loss of life energy. Players are the undead seeking not to be giant rotten maggot vessels.
>>
>>44861199
There's a big festival going on. Someone told a nobleman a prophecy that if he does not win the upcoming pie eating contest, he will die. So the PCs have to help him cheat.
>>
>>44861225
>says builds are no big deal
>says builds are a big deal
>both act like bitches
>hurrr this one is a troll, not the other
They both got carried away, anon.
>>
>>44861129
>a campaign based on a particular theme and aimed at having a particular flavor
>not restricting character creation accordingly, like allowing a non-dwarf party in a campaign about dwarves.
I can think of three things wrong with this campaign.

Also, it's not just a rogue sect of elves who hate dwarves in DF. An elf can't say two sentences to you without throwing shade.
>>
You need a human to talk to the cops.
>>
>>44860913
>Looks up GenieSorc
>Busted-ass rules
>Fucked up the MM Fluff for Genies
>>It's ok, I'm gonna change it as I receive feedback.
>Still Charges money for an unfinished PDF.
I hate the DM's Guild.
>>
>>44861199
Actually played both EX1&2. And before that, had a game group that had what we called the Book of Snide, basically the crazy shit we did. Also had a Campaign where 2 sessions in half the party failed a save against polymorph. And ended up massively changed around.
>>
>>44861358
Pay What You Want should be the norm. Paying for rules is all well and good if you like them, but noone wants to buy shitty rules
>>
>>44861358
Isnt it pay what you want?
>>
>>44861358
>>44861397
The genie sorcerer is pay what you want. I do agree though, people should really only post stuff on there that could be considered done.
>>
>>44861174
Unless you would rather there be no option for starting with a feat, and have them be something you need to get later. I wouldn't ban it, but I understand why someone would. Having variant human available makes literally everyone go "hmm, I'm probably better off as human" and you end up with yet another party of 3 humans and a half-elf, just because humans getting an extra feat carried over from 3.5.
>>
Thinking of DMing 5e, as the first time playing it for real.

I want to run this, but I want to set it inside of Eberron rather than Forgotten Realms, and thinking that the whole thing ought to take place inside the gargantuan city of Sharn, with all the dungeons within old buildings, tucked away in alleys and basements, etc.

Anyone familiar with the setting and this adventure have any suggestions on things to change/include?

Alternatively, are there other published adventures that might work just as well in Eberron?
>>
>>44861419
>>44861427
>Suggested Price: 1.00
The point is, the author still thinks it's worth paying for even though it is, by their own admission, not done.
Yes, I'm moving the goalposts here.
>>
>>44861450
I've played PotA. You've got some heavy lifting to do if you wanna make that an Eberron adventure, Anon.

You can always take pointers from published materials, but you really ought to consider just making your own adventure.
>>
>>44845872
So I get that t was partly because they made them optional, but seriously, why are feats tied to ability increase? Wouldn't there be a better way to balance them around class levels?
>>
>>44861450
PotA is waaay based in being in a rural area, not in a city, so you'd have some shit to do for that.
>>
>>44861511
Compared to previous editions, the list of Feats in 5e is shorter, but more potent.
You should think of a Feat as an additional Class Feature that you wouldn't otherwise get. Exchanging an Ability Score Increase for the privilege is one of the better ways to balance it.
>>
>>44860517
Look into using shitloads of random tables to make things. Such wonders they can produce.
>>
>>44861481
>>44861524
The thing I'm caught on is how to make Eberron stuff that takes place in a rural area feel like Eberron, with it's emphasis on high-action and dense populations of vastly mixed people.

Maybe Stormreach would be a better city to stick it in, since it's more spread out than your average city and surrounded by total wilderness.
>>
Any tips on reworking Spelljammer to work in 5e? I life teh weird and the gonzo, so Spelljammer seems right up my alley.
>>
>>44861454
Fair enough.
I didnt see the problem with the flavoring, though, that was the part I thought was ok
>>
>>44861601
i'd liek to put my cawk right up ur alley
>>
>>44861432
Every race gets something neat as part of existing; half of the races have darkvision, a couple get spells, some get natural weapon or skill proficiencies, some have resistance to certain damage types. Humans get a couple more ability points.

In many situations, I'd rather be any race other than a vanilla human.
>>
>>44860418
>Kids these days never knew the joys of rolling 3d6 in order
I played a one shot where we did this once. After witnessing the characters on display (including a character who had 1 positive mod at 12 and innumerable negatives), I'm convinced that anyone who played this way cheated on their stat rolls with frightening regularity or otherwise rolled several characters before deciding on one. Mulitple of us would not have qualified for any 2e class beyond commoner.
>>
>>44861679
>In many situations, I'd rather be any race other than a vanilla human.

Versus

>In most situations, I'd rather be a variant human than any other race.
>>
>>44861454
I don't know if you were wrong or if people complained and he and changed it, but the suggested price is now $0.
You were probably wrong.
>>
>>44861718
You probably still would have qualified if you were actually playing 2e. All you need is a 9 in one ability to qualify for most of the base classes. Ability scores made less of a difference back then - basically every score between 8 and 15 was almost identical as far as the rules were concerned. So 12 would not have actually been a positive mod back then, but on the other hand all those 8s and 9s would not be negative, either.
>>
>>44861844

Humans should be the only race, others are subhuman scum
>>
>>44860779
The Shaman class was pretty worthwhile. Draws a lot from PHB mechanics, rather than reinventing the wheel, so it avoids a lot of the problems that tend to plague homebrew.
>>
>>44861609
>You can be a descendant of a genie that sired a mortal child.
No you can't.
>>
Everything that isn't a white human is a monster. Black people and drow and mind flayers = the same.
>>
File: 1453151429781-1786203511.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1453151429781-1786203511.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How come?
>>
>>44861972
>>44861915
You can delete your own posts anon, if you want.
>>
>>44861972
You're pretty wrong, there.
>>
>>44861450
You know there is a section in the back of the book that gives advice on how to tailor the adventure to fit Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Eberron right?
>>
>>44861853
Meh, most have the sugested price of 1 dollar. So I'll be giving anon a free pass this time.
>>
>>44861844
That implies that feats are important to every character concept. GWF fighter will want to be a human, but half-elf bard and half-orc sword-and-board would be just fine without the extra feat.
>>
>>44862148
>GWF fighter will want to be a human
Your typical Barbarian will also want to be wielding a Great Weapon fairly early on, making V. Human the class of choice for Barbs, too.

The power curve for feats is all over the fucking place, sure, but GWM is easily equal to a 4th-level class feature. To me, that seems to be a long enough wait.
>>
>>44862226
>class of choice
Race of choice. Too much thinking about class features; apologies, Anons.
>>
>>44861558
Suppose that is a good idea. Kaolite swords and Platinuim children toys, here we come~!

>>44861340
>an elf can't say two sentences to you without throwing shade.
>all elves hate dwarves.

That's partially incorrect. Elves can't stand how dwarves treat NATURE. Dwarves who actually try to preserve nature to an extent are fine.

I'll point you to the original post.
>>44860517
>based on Dwarf Fortress.

What is fun in the actual game may not be fun based in tabletop. Examples include virtually invincible Giant Sponges, Omnipotent AI, Dwarven science, etc.

Shit that would be great in the game may be just completely and utterly retarded in this setting.

So this leads to a few minor adjustments, such as elves being barbaric yet not without order, and treating all other races inferiority given legs. Threats are a common part of their speech patterns and if an elf is threatened to murder you and flay you alive if you so much as cross him on a bad day, the conversation is going well as if he really WANTED to kill you, he would have already tried to do so.

Elven trading parties consist of sizings, which is when you are inspected for any misgivings/murders, which obviously correlate to anything made of wood. Seeds are fine, as fruit are gifts of the tree and may be treated as such.

Instead of saying what you dislike about the idea currently running, how about giving ideas that fit towards your vision?

I.E. "I don't like thing, It should be X" should be "Instead of X, how about you X?"
>>
>>44862148
Of every party I've played with, the most people not playing variant humans in the group has been 2 out of 5. Even in cases where it isn't essential for people to have a feat for what they want, a lot of the time they still go, "hey, I can use one."
>>
In The Rise of Tiamat adventure, are there stats for the actual diety or just an avatar?
>>
>>44861915
>hurrr its againt the MM lore
You didnt even read the genie lore text from MM, find something else to be mad at.
>>
File: Scout.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Scout.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I am making a character sheet for a human scout. I was probably going to use the soldier background and have him be a former military scout who became an adventurer. Does anyone else have any other creative ideas for his background?

I see him as a neutral good wanderer but I don't know which ideals and bonds and stuff to use. I am not good at this. I had his character trait as: "Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words" which is good, but I can't think of anything for the rest and my game is tonight. Can someone please help?

For some reason doing good in this game is really important to me. I guess it's because nothing else is going on in my life right now and I've been looking forward to it...
>>
Running an all-gnome PC campaign in a very racially diverse homebrew world, what should I throw at them to upset their gnomish sensibilities?
>>
>>44862307
Deity. CR30.
>>
>>44862342
Rust Monsters.
>>
File: gnomes a shit.jpg (624KB, 910x1456px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes a shit.jpg
624KB, 910x1456px
>>44862342
They should be constantly assaulted by kobolds for being the offspring of the shittest god to ever shit.
>>
>>44861052
I actually kind of like it now that I've tried it. My stat spread is awesome and everything is positive. So I'm kind of the uber mensch right now.

Only thing I really miss is the bonus skill.

I mean a feat would be nice but vanilla human opens up some cool stat distributions.

I've decided to just not dwell on it too much. I get why he banned it. I think if I came to him with a concept that variant human would be the only option he'd work with it he just wants to prevent power creep I think. And we're pretty casual so I'm not worried about it.
>>
>>44862342
Okay, so did you decide it was gnome's only, or did the party just tell you they are all being gnomes? Because if you were planning "everybody is gnomes" with nothing to go in with, that's bad form.

Also
>Homebrew world
What are their gnomish sensibilities?
>>
>>44862342
gnomenapped gnomish females being used as prostitutes by perverted human males
>>
>>44861048
Why? Idk favoritism towards my own species. Kind of fun. I'm also magicless (thief) so I'm kind of the super under dog.

I just don't want to be the band of rare race misfits traveling the forgotten realms.
>>
>>44862372
>Garl Glittergold
>Anything but CE
>ISHYKDDT.
>>
>>44862372
>Kurtulmak made his choice.
Kurtulmak could have restored his people with a word and chose to curse his them with a multi-millennia futile grudge. Kurtulmak is an asshole.
>>
>>44862437
I completely get that.
In a world full of uncommon/rare monsters, why do people choose the rare monsters? It typically doesn't make sense.

That's why I typically limit uncommon races to 3 a group, and the rare to 1 strictly. Typically works out.
>>
>>44862437
>I just don't want to be the band of rare race misfits traveling the forgotten realms.
God, I hate this.

>Check out group at game cafe near home.
>2 Ghostwise Halflings, 1 Tiefling.
>Leave.
>>
>>44862461

>The strength to rebuild the mine

Nothing implies that the lost Kobolds would have been restored to life.
>>
>>44862412
They decided to be all gnomes because... I don't know actually. They just told me "hey, we want to be all gnomes."

>what are their gnomish sensibilities?
They are kind of SJW-ey when it comes to being told they can't do something because they are gnomes. Also they get super offended if someone mentions their short stature.
>>
>>44862509
But the mine could have been rebuilt, and future generations of Kobolds could have, you know, not lived in a bunch of scattered shitholes.

>Kurtulmak din' do nuffin
>>
What happens if you cast Awaken on a beast that was a creature polymorphed against their will?

My players have a pet bear, thinking of getting Awaken when the bard is of level, and I dunno if I want to deal with that. Also, curious to see how long it's going to take them to realize it's a polymorphed Halfling (been polymorphed so long, they forgot they were a person and have been living the life of a bear in captivity for years).
>>
>>44862548
The other deities should have fucked Garl like they did Tharizdûn.
>>
>>44862583
Oh, absolutely.

But Kurtulmak made his choice, and his choice was petty.
>>
>>44862583
>The other deities
Like Io, maybe.

Why didn't Garl choke to death on God-Dragon dick while the other gods watched?
>>
>>44862609

Uh.

Yes it does.

Try reading the spell
>>
File: image.jpg (255KB, 778x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255KB, 778x523px
>>44862505
>>44862490
I really like my party class wise but it's a half elf Druid (rare), a half Orc paladin (rare), a dwarf raised by humans monk (half rare half not rare?), me, the vanilla human rogue without dark vision (but my DM has been throwing me bones so it's okay and the Druid can cast dark vision so eh), and then the very big human(?) actually a Goliath but maybe not champion fighter. So we're pretty magicless (our Druid just spends his time as a bear or scimitaring people in the face) which I really like. I just wanted something to balance things out a bit since all four of those are rare except me. Otherwise my original plan was to roll a high elf but eh fate intervened.
>>
>>44862571
The bear initially released a slew of disorganized grumbles, snorts, and snarls.

After a while, it stops, and adopts a strangely puzzled look.

From that point on, it attempts to use pantomime and strangely coordinated actions to let the party know it's smart. The DC for this should be extraordinarily high and read mind/control animal shouldn't work on him. An anti magic field reverses the effect mentally, but not physically. Remove curse could do it, but they'd have to get an inking first that he's more than the average bear.

As a bonus, he now keeps on getting into their food reserves.
>>
>>44862571

Same thing that happens with all fringe rules interactions in 5e

>"Just make it up lol"
>>
>>44862632
Because they'd have to do the same to Pelor-Zarrus.
>>
>>44862640
Half elves are uncommon, not rare. They're heard of, just not typical. Half orcs even more so, but still not rare. The major rarity here is the Goliath, and it seems like he's been fluffed to be not the race but as an Andre, so I'd sell all of those.
Especially love the no-magic part. Those tend to be some of the best campaigns. You actually have to try to solve problems rather than magic your way out of it.
>>
>>44862640
>dwarf raised by humans monk (half rare half not rare?)
Dwarfs are common, but eh.

Honestly, be what you want. There's a lot to be said for party composition, but if you aren't having fun, the game's not worth playing.

I left a game a month ago where I got pigeonholed into a role because the party needed a Rogue, and then they got mad when I tried to play the character as anything other than a dick-ass thief that they could use as a scapegoat.
>>
>>44862461
You know, he may be, I mean, the only ones not at fault here were other gods, they don't really need to care about such things, and Io is the only one doing something right, but if Garl hadn't been a faggot for no reason, kobolds wouldn't be assholes going around and fucking low level adventurers.

Kurtulmak did what was reasonable, because everyone knows that if he had picked the other, it'd be only a matter of time before Garl went "lol, rocks fall, everyone dies" again, and Io would only save his ass until a certain point.
>>
>>44862632

My guess would be that the Gods generally avoid fighting each other since that kind of warfare could easily turn into a mess and it's not like the Kobolds were Io's direct creations so he couldn't exactly accuse Garl of attacking him or his.
>>
>>44862736
>>44862733
And now people can probably guess why I almost always replace Garl "Dickass" Glittergold and his shit creations with some good deity and bolds.
>>
>>44862826
>Garl "Dickass" Glittergold and his shit creations
I got a question for DMs:

Have any of you ever been glad to have a Gnome PC in one of your games?
>>
>>44862826
Or just rename him to Jamhorn.
>>
>>44862852
I was. It ended up being a gnome with a luck blade that absorbed Critical for use at a later date at the expense of an action critically fumbling 1d4+1 rounds of using the Luck blades effect. This was in a one off game, Character ended up dying on a fort save.
>>
>>44862712
Yeah but raised by human sounds rare.

Sorry you got pigeonholed like that. I love rogues idk what I'll do when this character dies (never). Probably roll something else not magical. There's so many bad perceptions of rogues (perhaps deservingly) but they're so fun when you aren't a dick. Everyone else is a bit random or passive but me and the paladin try to keep everyone together. which isn't that hard but still.

>>44862701
Yeah it's not so bad. Our previous party was me the vanilla human paladin/cleric, arakorca bard, gnome warlock, dragonborn fighter, Goliath barbarian. Again not too rare but I still like I said don't want to be the band of misfit rare races. not that I'm all for racial purity or anything just idk maybe too many fantasy pulp novels with human protagonists.

Either way my group is really good and we all met very randomly mostly on the Internet but we play in person. So I'm just glad it worked out.
>>
>>44862571
>My players have a pet bear, thinking of getting Awaken when the bard is of level, and I dunno if I want to deal with that.
Either rewrite it as a normal bear or just don't let them. Maybe the spell will never allow him to regain any of his humanity. Or whatever it's called for halflings.
>been polymorphed so long, they forgot they were a person and have been living the life of a bear in captivity for years
>curious to see how long it's going to take them to realize it's a polymorphed Halfling
Um? They probably won't? If he acts, thinks, and looks like a bear, and he has been a bear for years then there is really nothing to go on.
>>
>>44861994
How come what?
>>
>>44862852

Only gnome I've ever had in a game was gnome illusionist and he was great.
>>
>>44862852
No. I've had halflings, bolds, hell even fucking kender, but goddamn if gnomes haven't been the worst.

>>44862857
It's mostly because gnomes and their fuckstain of a deity are never used anyways, partly due to my unsubtle bias, and partly due to the cause if the bias. Nobody plays David, everyone plays their WoW character from 8 years ago.
>>
Dear friends

how much butthert goes around when you play with the "long rest takes a week" variant rule?
>>
File: ms3mjmAvrQ1qz4rgp.gif (499KB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
ms3mjmAvrQ1qz4rgp.gif
499KB, 500x208px
>>44862954
>Nobody plays David, everyone plays their WoW character from 8 years ago.
Holy shit. I've heard this rant before.
>>
>>44862897
>or just don't let them
That's kinda against my creed as a good DM.

>Um? They probably won't? If he acts, thinks, and looks like a bear, and he has been a bear for years then there is really nothing to go on.

If the spell fizzles, I'm hoping they'll investigate it further and not just think I'm shafting the bard.
>>
>>44862954
Look up Jamhorn Glittergold and use him instead of Garl.

It'll change gnomes towards your liking.
>>
>>44863066
My second sentence was obviously what I meant by don't let them.
>>
>>44862571
I would note that the spell Polymorph can't be maintained for more than an hour, but True Polymorph becomes permanent after being maintained for duration. The meaning of 'permanent' is up to DM interpretation, though I would argue, as Wall of Stone specifically states that it becomes permanent AND cannot be dispelled after the duration, that (by exclusion) True Polymorphed creatures would revert to their natural forms if subject to effects like Dispel Magic and Antimagic Field.

Barring such effects, the polymorphed Halfing is, for all intents and purposes, a bear, and is affected by Awaken as usual. If the polymorph effect is indeed dispelled, the Halfling regains its previous statistics - Awaken is an Instantaneous duration spell, and its effects only occur at the instant of casting. If the unpolymorphed Halfling is then polymorphed again, it is no longer subject to the effects of the prior Awaken.
>>
No animal companions for Druids in 5e?
>>
>>44863208
nah
>>
Guys need help on trickery domain cleric

>>I use channel divinity to invoke my duplicate
>>that requires concentration
>>I use it to cast a spell on an ally that requires conc.
>>the duplicate should disappear
>>but does my ally gets the buff i cast using the duplicate?
>>
>>44863014
Is that some homebrew or UA? I don't see that rule anywhere. How does that even work?
Regardless, my Elf Druid isn't going to give a damn. He'll do his four hour meditation and carry on.
>>
>>44863208
make a path that grants it
>>
>>44863323
It's in PHB. Long rests take a week but recover full HP. Taking any strenuous action during this time disrupts the full rest and offers no bonus.

AKA, You take it easy and dick in a town for a week.
>>
>>44863323
It's in the DMG as a variant to resting rules.

And your elf will care, because elves don't have 4-hour long rests. A long rest is, by default, 8 hours for everyone. It would also be a week for your elf under the variant rule.
>>
>>44863074
Dick ass, but actually meant to be so, and pushes gnomes in the way every iteration since 3e (I admit 4e and PF making them fae faggots was a better step) I like it.
>>
>>44863259
If the buff requires concentration then it would go away if there is no one concentrating on it.
>>
>>44863259
>The following factors can break concentration:
>• Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once.
I would personally say that you can't cast with the duplicate in this instance - before you finish casting the concentration spell, your duplicate disappears. Your DM may rule differently, though.
>>
>>44863208
They're broken enough as it is
>>
>>44863399
that's the point, the duplicate disappears when you start casting the spell or when the spell is cast?

thanks for the advice btw
>>
>>44863411
So are rangers, until lvl 5 their damage output is great, if they play their cards right.
>>
>>44863208
They get enough Animal Companion-y stuff by means of their several many animal summoning and charm spells. You effectively get an animal companion for 30 days with Awaken. If you've been a bro to it, maybe the DM will let it stick around after those 30 days are up.
>>
>>44863473
oh no you didnt
we dont say anything good about rangers, its taboo!!!
>>
>>44863372
You're still the one casting; you can just cast from the space the duplicate occupies. The duplicate isn't a separate character.

>>44863259
Concentration doesn't seem to have a requirement that the target remain in range, so the duplicate vanishing wouldn't mean that you can no longer concentrate on it. What it would do is determine whether or not the target of a spell is a valid target any longer.

For example, Bless has a 30-foot range. Your target is 50 feet from you, and your duplicate is immediately between you both (so, 25 feet from you and from the target). If you cast Bless through your Duplicate, your target is in range; if not, it isn't.

So if you're the DM, what you really need to decide is when Concentration takes affect: when you begin to cast the spell, or after the spell is cast.

I would personally rule that the moment you begin to cast Bless, your concentration on maintaining your Duplicate ends. This seems to match up with the intent of http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/04/10/invoke-duplicity/.
>>
>>44862251
You make a very good case for not trying to adapt something out of a different medium and just doing a normal vanilla D&D campaign. Which sounds like what you're doing, though you don't seem to know it yet. If you had just summarized your campaign as it is without mentioning what it was allegedly based on, nobody would have gotten the reference at all. So by all means, run your campaign about humans fighting evil druids and rescuing kidnapped children. Just change the elevator pitch.
>>
>>44863535
thank for your reply, so in your idea I can't use the duplcate to cast concentration spells at range right?
>>
>>44862887
>Arakorca
>Dragonborn
>Goliath
>Gnome
>Not that rare

>>44862640
>Dwarf
>Half-orc
>Half-elf
>Rare

>>
>>44863494
>>44863473
How do you figure? They're the only class that gets nothing but ribbons at level 1, and while the hunter's abilities provide a small spike in damage at level 3, you don't get those if you're getting an animal companion. Their only valuable core feature is their half-rate spell casting, which paladins get in addition to a ton of other actually useful abilities.
>>
>>44863610
(1/2)
By all means, you're essentially correct. I guess you could say the party derails the initial idea by refusing to play dwarfs.

Basically, I had a Dwarf fortress that crashed and burned on a relatively strange world in which one continent was mostly undead/goblin and the other was normal with an unusual amount of necromancer towers. I'm certain this was a glitch, as any attempt to play the map after year 258 crashes the game.

In this case, everyone chose what they wanted with races assigned to varying parts of the world, with the flavor of dwarf fortress with a intermingling of over fictions the group likes.

The map is the actual map the world uses, All major/minor civs are already created, major characters are listed with history involving each other, along with lore, major monsters, battles, evil forces, and the like.

I did this because the only other DM's in the group are a guy who likes Bleach and only DM's it, A girl that only does modules and only BY THE MODULE, NO EXCEPTION, and the third being a Grognard who only DM's 3.5.

Frankly, I don't like any of that so I went full on lazy and used a dwarf fortress world for the back story.

Plot is Armok hasn't reset the world yet, even though it's WAAAAY past time.

Technology is catching up exceptionally fast to about the point of 18th century, certain races have chilled out relatively, and as a whole, everyone lives in paranoia that this is just a whim of armok to see everyone relax before cleansing the world in a torrent of blood and gore and recreating it in his image.

There are three major pulls here, See what's happened to armok and restore the manner of things to keep the blood flowing (Which actually powers the planes of existence, ala water wheel style. I guess that makes Armok the Elder god from LoK.) Second is to take stesp to PREVENT a reform and to keep the world as is (Which it has a horrific undead problem as it stands), or to escape to another existence, (GOOD LUCK!).
>>
File: shocked elf.jpg (113KB, 279x492px) Image search: [Google]
shocked elf.jpg
113KB, 279x492px
>today is supposed to be session #3 of an Eberron campaign I joined on Roll20
>campaign page disappeared in maybe the last 24 hours
>GM's account shows up as [deleted]
>only reason I know this is because another player messaged the group Hangouts about it and I got a notification on my phone from it
>>
>>44863919
Do the other players know anything?
>>
>>44863340

I like the idea of a slower paced (in the game setting) kinda campaign where months and years go by between adveplayers and actually going out into dark, dirty old tombs in the middle of nowhere without planning and preparation is fucking crazy thing to do but I'm not sure how well it goes over with players
>>
Trying to create a custom race for 5e. I've written out some of their traits, but I still haven't come up with a name for the race.

They're basically catgirls, but I don't want to use something overdone like "Catfolk". It's gotta sound fancy. Any help/suggestions?
>>
>>44863913
(2/2)
Moderate plot is the Circle of rings, the southernmost dwarven capitol of the continent of the branch's war effort is going south due to a major outpost suddenly going dark. A sect of elves that view ALL Civilization as responsible for the destruction of nature (ala if even ONE human hurts ONE tree, ALL humans are responsible), Goblins from the exceptionally large banner, Ghoul of lobsters, and a sudden surge of undead from a major necromancer tower, are sieging the kingdoms outer defenses. Although they are holding ground, it's a stale mate. Since coins are valued everywhere except the dwarves (they mine a fuck ton, so they're virtually overflowing with mineral), a 1000 P Bounty has been placed to find out what has happened to this providence. You must go there, find adequate evidence proving what happened, and come back to claim your reward. Other reward involve marrying a princess of the family to inherit a small dowry and title within the family (Which probably doesn't matter now) and a royal favor.

Minor is child abduction, the rabid animals, and a small cult dedicated towards an old forgotten one in the town as an attempt to bring forth a surge of blood large enough to potentially reawaken or interest armok.

This is why I asked for reading in this genre, as all I seem to find are badly written fan-fics or dry explanations about the game, or at the very least related material/inspiration.
>>
>>44863995
Nyan-nyans.
>>
>>44845872
What Forgotten Realms god would have a tiefling cleric pretending to be a human paladin cursed by some evil god or wizard, to trick adventurers into helping him recover some treasure from a forgtten tomb?

Improvements on the concept are welcome.
>>
>>44863995
Stop inserting your fetishes into your games.

Felids or felidae.
>>
So I want to run a game kind of like Spelljammer, but it takes place in somethng like the default cosmology turned into a galaxy and I want to run it in 5e.

Questions I have include how I should work the mechancis of the Helms. Should they cost spell levels to power?
>>
>>44864020
What if he is really cursed and still an evil tiefling evil god cleric trying to get treasure and break the curse?
>>
>>44863974
Well, 'DF' Dm here. That's exactly as I play my games. Last game that lasted a while was a cooking campaign in which the world revolved around food and everything about it. Gods loved food as it was the only thing that had true randomness to it. War gets boring, Science goes the same way, and religious zealots are too messy. Truely, food is the most glorious feat humanity has come up with.

A divine cookatholon is held at the other end of the continent the PC's lived on. First quest was getting there. They got to the city within 1 year , 3 months time, and it took them 5 levels to do so.

Then one of our party members made a racist joke and got us kicked out of our host area. That killed that game.

(Pizza hut. I was a part time member. Cooking Campaign was all about food, so I gave you food. Unlimited bread sticks, salad, and soda. Pizza is half off for me and I got buffet pizzas for free, Surcharge per game was 5$ a person.)
>>
>>44864040
someone made a kemono or whatever it is called cat-person anime for 5e in the guild.
>>
>>44863995
Felids, Lynxians, Basteti, weeb-trash
>>
>>44864040
I really like felidae.
>>
>>44863995
Just call them nekomatas and be done with it.
>>
>>44860913
Its not as bad as this thread lead me to believe.
>>
>>44864020
There are no more evil gods in forgotten realms.
Thanks mom assossiation of america.
>>
>>44864098
I'm trying to make them as least weeb as possible, so I'm avoiding weeb names.
>>
How does the Shield spell work, RAW/RAI?

>DM: He hits you.
>PC: I cast Shield as a reaction.
>DM: Sorry, that +5 still wasn't enough. He strikes for 5 damage.

or:

>DM: He gets a 15 on his attack roll.
>PC: I cast Shield as a reaction.
>DM: Okay, his attack is deflected by your magical shield.

?

There are a bunch of spells and class features that do the whole "before the damage/effects are applied" thing, so I'm wondering if there's any official guidance beyond "it's up to your DM".
>>
>>44864208
Seriously though, you called them catgirls, what sort of people do you think you're going to attract?
>>
>>44864238
Spell specifically states you take the reaction when you are hit, so the first one.
>>
>>44864208
Ja'Khaj
>>
>>44864238
You don't necessarily get to know the results of the attack roll. It depends on how lenient and open with rolls your DM is. Either way, the AC bonus lasts until your next turn, so it can often be a worthwhile spell either way.
>>
>>44864269
I should have made it clear the "15 on his attack roll" example is a hit, my bad.

My question is really whether the DM gives the number or not.

Especially since 90% of the time it's going to be, "He hits you for 7 damage," rather than, "He hits you. Do you do anything? No? 7 damage."
>>
>>44864238
I don't believe there is a RAW or RAI with respect to resolving attacks. It's something that varies from group to group and DM to DM.

That said, I believe your first example is generally accepted as a dick move on the DM's part, whereas your second example directly violates the wording of the spell.
>>
>>44864262
I expected joke names from here (nyan-nyans is a good contender), but by the time I'm done writing their descriptions out and stuff I'm hoping to avoid "those" kinds of people.
>>
>>44864238
From PHB:
>[...]you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack

So it does affect the attack that let you react, however, it's always up to the GM to decide whether the rolls should be seen by everyone or not. I'd at least let the character know beforehand if it'd work in the first case.
>>
>>44864285
"Normally" your DM wouldn't be announcing all of his rolls to you, so if he's doing that then that's at his discretion. "He hits you" is all he has to say for you to trigger a Shield reaction.
>>
>>44864238
>>44864277

It says "when you are hit by an attack." I don't think you get to know the exact number of the attack roll.

Hell, as a GM I often don't even bother to finish the mental addition. PC has AC 16, monster rolls a 15 and has +several to hit, I say out loud "He hits you!" and gather up the damage dice. That's when the PC has a chance to shout "oh, fuck, Shield!"

A +5 will save your ass fairly often, but not always. It's worth casting.
>>
Literally nobody on the DMG leaves feedback or reviews.
>>
>>44864208
What sort of cultural influences do they have?
>>
>>44864363
Start a movement, anon. Start rating and reviewing.
>>
>>44864363
Literally 99% of the shit on there is fanfiction-quality garbage so who cares
>>
>>44864358
But, as D&D is in fact a roleplaying game, would it not be reasonable for a player to ask for a description of how narrow or wide a margin the hit was by, and so get at least an in-character idea of whether casting Shield would be effective?
>>
>>44864330
>I'm hoping to avoid "those" kinds of people.
Based on the fact you're making a catgirl race, I'm sorry but you might be one of "those people".
>>
>>44864347
This rustles my jimmies a bit.

The DM, the main narrator of the game, is saying something has happened.

Then a player is saying, "No, that has not happened, because I use this spell as a reaction."

It's like Magic: The Gathering or something. It's a retcon. A stupid feature of the combat mini-game rather than something that fits the core principles of a role-playing game.

>1. The DM describes the environment.
>2. The players describe what they want to do.
>3. The DM describes the results of the adventurers' actions.

I guess they forgot
>4. The players declare any reactions that might undo the consequences of #3.
>>
Guys I have have a black dragon wyrmling that is bossing around another(but weaker) wyrmling that just really doesn't care that much and they are supposed to be a "boss" encounter for my party.
Now the problem is that I don't know which type/color should be the other wyrlmling be, any ideas or suggestions? Doesn't matter if it's from older editions I guess I can just convert it, but I'm having some trouble as, I think that any of the metallics would have already revealed against the bossy black wyrmling instead of just going with the flow.
>>
anyone want drunk vocaroos?
>>
>>44864467
No one wants drunk vocaroos. Thanks for asking this time, though.
>>
>>44864451
Make it shadow. It's not the fact that it doesn't care in the ego sense, just that no matter how much the black dragon bosses him, he can always go Incorporeal and then wreck his shit.

More as 'you think you're hot shit, but I know I am, so keep talking shit, and you'll eventually get learned.'
>>
>>44864467
Have you considered starting a vocaroo thread rather than posting in an unrelated one?
>>
>>44864476
not even a little bit?
>>
>>44864476
>>44864497

Am I the only person who likes this guy?

I don't want to encourage him if it RUINS THE THREAD.

Not that he gets many replies now anyway.
>>
File: wizard separation.gif (949KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
wizard separation.gif
949KB, 275x275px
>>44864418

If you wanna go that route, it makes just as much sense to be fuzzy in the opposite direction. "The Ice Giant's axe is coming down, it looks like it might hit you! Gonna be pretty close!" And then you sometimes waste a Shield spell on what would be a near miss.

You're making a split-second decision, you don't get to calculate the precise severity of the hit and whether the protection of the spell will be sufficient. You barely have time to cast, you really don't have time to evaluate like that.
>>
>>44864373
I kind of want a mix of a victorian/gothic-like background for them. I'm taking influence from Bloodborne's setting.
>>
>>44864534
I feel like I get some good replies, and some people like me and others dont. I am not saddened by any negative replies either.
>>
Would running space fantasy setting be feasible in 5e? Like a mix between destiny and spelljammer.
>>
>>44864545
And you have to remember to say that every time to the wizard/sorcerer/whatever who has the Shield spell prepared.

Meanwhile, for the fighter: "The frost giant's greataxe lands a heavy blow! 28 damage."

At least stuff like the Protection fighting style occurs BEFORE the attack roll.
>>
>>44864438
I don't think I'm one of "those" kinds of people for wanting to make a serious sounding race for something that's usually seen as not serious.
>>
>>44864451
A wyrmling is a dragon of 5 years or younger. Mechanically, it's CR 2. It's pretty unlikely that it's managed to get out much at all, let alone find and subjugate another wyrmling of a different color to boss around.

But if that wyrmling did have someone to boss around, it'd probably be another, younger, black wyrmling.
>>
File: crow familiar.jpg (98KB, 704x733px) Image search: [Google]
crow familiar.jpg
98KB, 704x733px
>>44864448

I love the shield spell. Having the occasional thing they can do when it's not their turn keeps the players paying attention throughout the round, and the image of a panicked, unarmored mage throwing up a defense at the last second and screaming for help is great.

I really think this is a silly thing to be upset about. The core principle of a role-playing game is that everyone is telling a story together. The GM has the final authority (and can, in fact, say the monster hits anyway,) but the PCs also get to influence the story.
>>
>>44864596
"Wait a moment. Would defensive duelist turn that into a miss?"
>>
>>44864561
I should probably clarify that. They're more of a "look to the stars" than "gimme yo blood" kind of race. If that makes sense.
>>
>>44864596

I always roll for hits, then roll for damage. So the mage can shout "Shield!" as I'm picking up the damage dice. It's really no problem.
>>
>>44864636
About your picture, I still haven't played a caster in 5e, do crow/ravens still get a language?
>>
>>44864684
Ravens don't speak but can mimic simple sounds ("such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering.")
>>
>>44864652
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cu.aspx
It's not about cat-people but it may be an interesting read for you if you haven't read it already.
>>
>>44864636
I think it's great too, gameplay-wise, but I think it goes against the core idea of the game.

And I get that it's exception-based, but this is some time-travel/retcon nonsense that breaks the flow of the game.

"He swings his mighty hammer at you, and hits for 10 damage!"
"Wait no, now that doesn't happen. What you said hasn't happened because I do a thing after the fact."

Usually in my groups if there's some mistake (an attack deals damage that it shouldn't have, someone moves too far, etc.) we roll with it and make a mental note to not do it again. You can't call backsies on something if it's happened, you simply pay more attention next time.

Shield doesn't even make sense RAI. The attack hits, which with an attack roll I've always taken to mean you strike the opponent, accurately and hard enough to overcome their defences (dodging, shield, armor, magic). Yet now, it hits, then it doesn't hit. They bring up their shield just in time is the idea, but then how has it "hit" in the first place?
>>
>>44864702
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0E6WyzpFY79
>>
File: lolidk.jpg (77KB, 657x593px) Image search: [Google]
lolidk.jpg
77KB, 657x593px
>DMs Guild no longer lists suggested price for PWYW items but instead lists the average amount people have paid for it
Hmm. Hmmmm.

I guess that's one way to make the PWYW portions of DMG completely controlled by the consumer.
>>
post some homebrew if you want me to review it over vocaroo, i am an expert who has played in over 1 million 5e games in my life
>>
File: bear monk.gif (4MB, 200x164px) Image search: [Google]
bear monk.gif
4MB, 200x164px
>>44864747

It hits their shield.

There's no retconning the way I do it. I roll to hit, then roll damage, then describe what happened based on the severity of the rolls. The cry of "Oh, shit, Shield!" comes after the hit roll and before damage or description.

Our general ethos is that something "has happened" once the GM describes it. You can say you try to pick the lock, but the door isn't open until the GM says that it happens. So Shield works the same way bardic inspiration, Inspiration advantage, and a bunch of other mechanics do: they're player decisions that happen during the dice-rolling phase. Since the DM's Word (which is Law) comes AFTER the dice-rolling phase, there's never any retcon.
>>
Anyone have any experience with the Bladesinger yet? Would a few levels in Fighter, or perhaps Paladin be worth it assuming you like the idea of sometimes engaging in melee?
>>
>>44864857
Rangers using camouflage also inflict a disadvantage against detecting them.
Primeval Awareness now no longer takes up a spell slot to use.
Hide in plain sight no longer needs reapplying if you choose to limit your move speed by half.
Favored enemy now allows a ranger to add Proficiency bonus to hit and damage against their chosen enemy.
Foe slayer has been changed :At lvl 20, rangers receive their wisdom bonus as extra d10's to their favored enemy or to receive advantage against all actions their favored enemy does, and to act against them.

Beastmaster: Your creatures now gets as many actions in it's turn as you do. It's initiative operates separately from yours if you so will it. You may verbally command or use body language to command it outside your turn since those are free actions and thus therefore unregulated by rules. Rangers without Beastmaster still gain pets but they work by traditional rule.
Your creature you are bonded to levels as you do without the option of perks, feats, or archtypes.
Your creature gains your extra attacks and may use your feats within reason.
Exceptional training is lvl 3 instead of lvl 7.
Share spells is now a level 7 trait rather than 15.
LvL 15: Bestial Casting. You may now cast spells through your bestial companion. All standard rules for casting through it apply.

Trying to make rangers not shit, but I might have done it in the opposite direction TOO much.
>>
File: 5e still winning.png (187KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
5e still winning.png
187KB, 500x731px
>5e continues to sap away from 3.PF's Roll20 community

http://blog.roll20.net/post/137560897420/the-orr-group-industry-report-q4-2015
>>
>>44864968
Good.
>>
>>44864932
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1prRtiZKhw3
>>
>>44864068
>kemono
You mean the Kitsune? That's a fox.
>>
>>44864932
I like rangers, but try to fix them right.
Give primeval awareness some sort of limitation then, like using WIS mod times per long rest, otherwise, rangers could use it endlessly.
Word favored enemy like expertise: you already add proficiency on attacks to hit, say the bonus is doubled and that the base proficiency is added to damage.
Foe slayer is worded pretty badly, you don't limit it in any way, you're pretty much saying a ranger might add 15d10's if he's TWF. Second part should read advantage against all saving throws or ability checks.
>>
>>44864968
>3.5 has nearly half as many games a PF but basically the same amount of players
Sounds like hell
>>
File: heavy hold up.jpg (30KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
heavy hold up.jpg
30KB, 400x384px
>reading through the Dungeon Master's guide for the first time
>mfw reading the cost + stats table for the various mounts available
If I'm reading it right, why would anyone ever buy a pony? The donkey/mule has the exact same stats but is nearly four times cheaper; what gives?
>>
>>44865128
Because no self-respecting knight rides a donkey.
>>
>>44864563
>I am not saddened by any negative replies either.
That's the spirit.

Also, goddamn, shut up.
>>
>>44864561
>>44864652
I see. Also, are they a race that covers the felidae family in general or are they more specific?
...Is the race actually beastlike in appearance, or are your "catgirls" just humans with cat ears and a tail?

Going off on my own with this - You could specify the Pantherinae sub-family as a source, and then break down your cat into subraces of Lions, Tigers and Jaguars. They'd have visible differences and would work as subraces.

And then based on the Pantherinae classification, the legendary "Panther" creature being a favored mount of the god Dionysus... The old Gothic language takes a lot from Greek, so Latin scientific classification...

The "Cervere" Race, divided between the Tigri, Leo and Onca.
>>
>>44865165
>shut up
what have i done to deserve this
>>
>>44865158
No self-respecting knight rides a pony, either.
>>
>>44865085
The vocaroo said the same. Wis Mod+1. Good idea.
Agree with both of what you said. I'll word favored enemy as you said.

But my question to you is, TWF?
>>
>>44865059
"Kemono" just means "beast," but is also used as the japanese equivalent of "furry." So like, anthro animal people.

Yiff in Hell, weeaboo furfags.
>>
>>44865158
What about Don Quixote?
>>
>>44865225
Not actually a knight, recognizes his own delusions for what they are in the end, loses his self respect.
>>
>>44865177
I'd like them to resemble something like the Mithra/Miqo'te race from the FF universe.

Something more human-like, but not straight up "humans with cat ears". And I don't want to go as far as the Khajit are in Elder Scrolls either.

They'll probably end up being a more specific looking race than something that covers an entire family.
>>
>>44865218
Two weapon fighting. I dunno what you meant by foe slayer, but that means a level 20 ranger has +12 + DEX Mod + other modifear to hit, which means a huge chance to hit any favoured enemy, 3 times a turn with an attack, an extra hit and the bonus action for the other weapon. This means he has a vary high chance of doing 3 times WIS mod of d10's every turn unless you specify something else.
>>
>>44865177
I forgot to add, I currently don't have any subraces written out, and I don't plan on making any.
>>
>"What we’ve done in Curse of Strahd is given you a bigger sandbox. The land of Barovia is more detailed than it has been previously, and there are more cool places to go and more cool people to meet, and a mechanism to guide you." - Chris Perkins.
>"This new version of the story will be more than 250 pages long, and include everything Dungeon Masters will need to get their players situated in the kingdom of Barovia. The centerpiece will be Strahd's castle, Ravenloft, but Perkins says the entire play area is roughly the size of half of Rhode Island and contains many new locations and characters."
>Pre-order Tarokka card deck (54 cards) from Gale Force 9 soon.
>Here's what Curse of Strahd means for s4 of the D&D Adventurer's League. "As befits a gothic storyline, for season 4 we are releasing fourteen adventures (in addition to new DDAO and DDEP adventures and some other surprises), but unlike previous D&D Adventurers League seasons, where adventures were somewhat more episodic while adding to an overall meta-plot, this season is a tight, continuous story. For maximum enjoyment of this season the intent is that you start 4-1 Suits of the Mist with a 1st-level character, then play 4-2, the 4-3, and so on following in order until your character is 8th-level at the end of the fourteen part series."
>>
>>44863787
No no I already agreed main party wasn't too rare.

They're all too rare for my (human) blood though
>>
>>44865368
>Chris Perkins
i think i might be in love with him
>>
>>44865368
I should learn not to trust Chris Perkins' testimonials, but that does sound neat.
>>
>>44865368
Source?
>>
>>44865201
Maybe not, but squires do.
>>
>>44865405
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3164-CURSE-OF-STRAHD-Here-s-The-Official-Announcement!#.Vp2DOogrKUl
>>
>>44865225
He rides a work-horse, Rocinante. Sancho rides the donkey.
>>
>>44865334
Oh shit. I should probably state that bonus is FLAT and acts at a weapon bonus outside of normal damage dealt. (AKA TWF 1d8 x 3 per arm) + 3d10 with +3 wis mod.

The idea was either to make them ultra effective or deal damage along the same curve as other classes deal at that time.
>>
Completely new to ttrpg and me and some friends are going to play 5e and aside from wanting a tiefling bard i dont really know how to make my character or where to start or even how to play a bard, where do i start?
>>
>>44865189
>what have i done to deserve this
Well, for one, you lied: you got saddened by the negative replies.

You've let us all down, Drunk Vocaroo Guy.
>>
Are the homebrew resources in the OP usable on Dmsguild?
>>
>>44865477
Open the Player's Handbook to chapter 1 and follow it.
>>
>>44865488
no...no....i am human
>>
>>44865467
See, in that sense, you'd better just give an example or word it throughly. Gotta make it so that if it's Raw people still get what you mean.

Biggest problem with favored enemy is striking a nice balance, you have to make rangers feel strong against them, but not too strong that they wreck those too easily, while still keeping them useful against other enemies.
>>
>>44865535
I figured a damage boost that was flat or always having advantage would do that.

At least always having advantage seems to be a good idea.
>>
>>44865477
Read Chapter 1.
Then, read chapter 2, specifically the Tiefling section.
Then, read chapter 3, the part about bards.
Then, chapter 4, and decide on your background benefits.
AND SO ON.
>>
>>44865499
>>44865569
But reading is hard, senpai.
>>
i love perkins and the phb
>>
>>44865606
Just throw some dice or something, famprie. It'll be fine.
>>
>>44865494
Probably not.
You can find similar fonts for free elsewhere, though.
>>
Does Out of the Abyss have any room for becoming a ruler of a fiefdom?
>>
>>44865622
me too id suck his dingaling if i could
>>
>>44865638
Maybe if you want to rule a fiefdom of mushroom men.
>>
>>44864968

>Newest edition of D&D
>Deliberately written and marketed to win back the grogs that 4e lost
>It's somehow any kind of surprise

In other news, Coca Cola winning over Pepsi.
>>
>>44865640
me too hope he didnt see this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA
>>
>>44865662
Oddly it's working, hell I've heard tales that it's working on ultra-grogs that thought 3e was a mistake.
>>
>>44865780
That's because it's also fixing lot of the mistakes that 3E and 3.5 made.

From all accounts, it's the 3E that 2E players wanted and the 4E that 3E players wanted. Which is a pretty good spot to be in.
>>
>>44865780

It's working on me.

I'd be willing to move on completely from 3.5 if the amount of content on offer wasn't so piddling.
>>
>>44864448
If the DM described action a little slower and methodically maybe the characters could interrupt with their reactions at the appropriate times to create a better narrative flow but that has never been D&D's thing. In fact I can't think of any game that is designed to play like that. I would probably be very difficult and despite what I can already see are huge hurtles I'm going to start brainstorming for this. I'll probably come up with a rudimentary system before Saturday's game.
>>
>>44865850
At least the content there is solid unlike 3.5's multiple splat books.

Goddamn Vile darkness.
>>
>>44865960

>At least the content there is solid unlike 3.5's multiple splat books.

A ton of the 3.5 splat content is really solid, especially the later stuff.

Book of Vile Darkness was 3.0 book.
>>
Whats a good spell book app for android?

I just picked up the character creator and the spell book is leaving me wanting.
>>
Can the free narrative books for the expeditions be put in the mega? Thanks Mega anon.
>>
>>44865678
I got an insight into Vocaroo Anon's psyche there that I didn't want.
>>
New thread

>>44865929
>>
>DM tells us we can use "greatshields"
>basically a big ass shield that is two-handed, counts as a heavy weapon, deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage, and has an AC bonus of +4

How do I abuse this to the maximum?
>>
>>44865863
This is how I feel about D&D actions in general. Conversation order trumps initiative order where that order doesn't matter.

>"We walk into the room."
>"Okay, you walk into the next room--"
>"I PROD THE GROUND WITH MY 10-FOOT POLE."

Don't be a dick with the interruptions, but anything you don't declare in time is going to lead to assumptions. So you step on that pressure plate unless you say something, in real time, that would prevent it.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen has a cool encounter where cultists are trying to batter a door down, and the book encourages DMs to remind the players of each thud every X seconds in real time. I thought that was neat. Fuck initiative, fuck slow thinkers (although you can adjust the timing), your players and their characters have to think FAST. The pressure is real, it's not something that can last minutes while the players argue.
>>
I've been using an owl familiar on my arcane trickster to great effect for scouting, trap finding, and using the help action in combat, but it has become increasingly obvious that this owl is squishy. What can I do to improve my owls defenses or bulk? Is there bird armor or anything like that?
>>
>>44866123
One word: Cover.

Tower shields aren't op due to Ac:4.

From what my old DM did, Cover means that cover gave a percentage that the attack either missed or hits the cover you are behind.

Tower gave 75% cover.

Deploy cover, 75% chance all attacks don't effect you.

They might shatter the shield if bad enough, but that's rare.
>>
>>44864747
Stop rolling to hit and damage at the same time and start following the rules and you won't have this problem.
>>
File: Savra.jpg (150KB, 620x622px) Image search: [Google]
Savra.jpg
150KB, 620x622px
>DM Princes of the Apocalypse on Roll20 with friends
>Group is about to hit Feathergale Spire
>Looking for images I could use for Thurl and Savra
>Can find anything
>Google shows pic related
>Decide to use it for her
>Group spends about an hour trying to woo her, all of them rolling low and spilling spaghetti left and right

Awkward, but fucking hilarious.
>>
I want to do a premade adventure, how much should I read before starting? Is it necessary to read the entire module front to back before doing anything? kinda lazy desu
>>
>>44867184
You should always read the whole module through so you understand what's going to happen and what parts of the adventure are key.
>>
>>44866260
>bird armor
I mean, with the right smith, anything's possible.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.