[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Spooky Scary Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 41

File: 1450933458750.jpg (64KB, 500x895px) Image search: [Google]
1450933458750.jpg
64KB, 500x895px
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>Dungeon Masters Guild, buy and sell 5e shit using Wizard IPs
http://dmsguild.com

So, continuing on the announcement of Ravenloft coming back, with a more specific question: what stuff outside of the adventure do you most hope comes along with Curse of Strahd, such as character options, variant rules, stat blocks, and so on?
>>
So Ravenloft having one book means it is just a DMG adventure book? No player supplement with extra cool stuff?Hopefully there is another book that's not yet on amazon, otherwise sad panda.
>>
>>44843324
A player supplement wouldn't be on amazon because they are free.
>>
>>44843324
There's a non-zero chance that it has a free PDF like the EEPC released alongside it or that it has some player stuff in an appendix like PotA had, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
>>
File: Sonic_sonicx.png (194KB, 915x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_sonicx.png
194KB, 915x1181px
What stats does pic related haves?
>>
File: qt elf 115.jpg (127KB, 736x1134px) Image search: [Google]
qt elf 115.jpg
127KB, 736x1134px
Is there any class or build that embraces two-weapon fighting? I'm contemplating writing up a two weapon backup character because I've never actually played one outside of vidya.
>>
>>44843523
stop being a faggot.
>>
>>44843383
>>44843390

Ah, didn't realize the EE players supplement was a free pdf.
>>
Delete and re-add this to the OP

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fOIUVU0Kcj
>>
>>44843523
Knowing that Yamcha can beat absolutely any 20th level character from 5e ever, what do you think? probably a 100 billion level char or something like that, with dex over 100 and 6 digits speed.
>>
>>44843523
is it illegal to stat him and then sell it to the dmsguild?
>>
>>44843535
Fighter does it pretty well. Go human pick up the Dual Wielder feat. Get the Dueling fighting style. Build high Dex, and High Constitution. If you want magic better hope you rolled high in a 3rd stat. Grab two rapiers.
>>
>>44843577
yes he is under copyright
>>
>>44843535
Fighter and ranger both get the two-weapon fighting fighting style, but it doesn't scale very well for them to be honest.

Rogues are pretty good with it since it gives them a chance to get sneak attack off if their main attack whiffs.
>>
>tfw you submitted content to the DMs Guild solely with the hope that Wizards would notice and steal your ideas instead of any other interpretation of the archetype
>>
>>44843535
In addition to what others are telling you, College of Blades bard form the newest UA has you covered, m8.
>>
File: qt elf 22.jpg (123KB, 721x1107px) Image search: [Google]
qt elf 22.jpg
123KB, 721x1107px
>>44843581
Hmm, it'll interfere with Second Wind, but otherwise it sounds good. I need to see which maneuvers would be closed out on account of bonus action conflict.

Any personal experience with one?
>>
>>44843535
anyone who posts an image like this for their character should be forced to post their own image as well
>>
File: qt elf 99.jpg (197KB, 514x1000px) Image search: [Google]
qt elf 99.jpg
197KB, 514x1000px
>>44843609
>>44843652
Duly noted. I'll check out that UA.

Beyond unlocking things and stabbing people, what else does a Rogue NEED to be good at? What else does one need in order to appear useful? I usually end up as Captain Cleric, and never really play rogue stuff.
>>
So does anyone houserule grappling to be more effective by letting a grapple escalate into a restraied condition.
>>
File: qt elf 59.jpg (153KB, 640x893px) Image search: [Google]
qt elf 59.jpg
153KB, 640x893px
>>44843692
Oh, that's just an elf picture. I hate posting too many posts without images, because it looks so boring. Though it would make a good character image, I suppose.

What's the consensus on the Battlerager barbarian? It seems like it's safer than the Berserker, which I like.
>>
>>44843787
You can almost already do that by RAW by combining the grapple and shove special attacks in the PHB (which you can do in one turn if you have Extra Attack).

Restrained:
>its speed is 0
>attacks against it have advantage
>its attacks have disadvantage
>it has disadvantage on Dex saves

Grappled and prone:
>its speed is 0
>its attacks have disadvantage
>creatures within 5 feet of it have advantage on attacks against it
>>
File: Make America Pregnant Again.png (493KB, 594x900px) Image search: [Google]
Make America Pregnant Again.png
493KB, 594x900px
>>44843787
If by "restrained condition," you mean rape, then yes.
>>
>>44843811
Consensus IIRC was that it's a cute gimmick class for DORF bros.
>>
>>44843566
Homebrew is the lifeblood of the hobby. Also nobody got better at doing something by not doing it. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>44843692
>If your character looks good, you need to owe up to it with your face

Yeah, ok. Let's line up everyone playing a handsome and grizzled warrior type and see how many of them could actually lift for shit.
>>
File: 1425210636950.jpg (377KB, 1106x822px) Image search: [Google]
1425210636950.jpg
377KB, 1106x822px
>>44843869
I'm not sure what to homebrew, Anon. Like, I can never decide what's both missing and deserves inclusion, you get me?
>>
>>44843738
Rogues do not specifically NEED to be good at anything other than hitting targets who are unaware or otherwise distracted.

They do get to be better at skills than most classes, and the different archetypes offer different specializations - there's one for being a cat burglar, one for being an assassin and one for having a minor in magical larceny, in addition to the newer ones from the SCAG.

You are generally expected by most people who hear 'Rogue' to be good at sneaking and lying through your teeth, but even Cha skills won't be your strong suit if you play an Arcane Trickster.
>>
>>44843841
That's far too fiddly. I rather have an escalating condition. Grapple and opponent, if opponent is grappled and doesn't escape, escalate to restrained with another grapple check. An opponent can drop from restrained to grapple with grapple check in their favour.
>>
>>44843893
What will be useful to your games? What in the raw are you dissatisfied with? What monsters do you want to create? Homebrew isn't just all classes and races.
>>
>>44843573
>Knowing that Yamcha can beat absolutely any 20th level character from 5e ever
At first I thought you were joking, but after thinking it a little I realized this might be true
>>
>>44844043
I mean, in fairness, Yamcha's from a high power story. It's not that weird.
The least skilled, weakest heavyweight champion boxer of all time can still slaughter kindergarteners in the ring.
>>
>>44843893
Think of a fantasy archetype. Now, think very hard as to how you would be best represent it with the current rules set.

Now, research that fantasy archetype and its roots, and see if you're happy with how you would represent it in the current rules set.
>>
Starting first 5e game as DM soon. One of my players (other player's wife) wants to be a moon druid that only turns into dinosaurs, and will likely never cast spells. I've gone through and reskinned druid forms to dinosaurs and added a few extras for variety. Feel bad for the rest of the party if she isn't going to cast any spells.
>>
>>44844116
If she sees dinosaurs, she'll be able to transform into them if they meet the CR requirements. They are beasts, after all.
>>
>>44844147
>his dinosaurs aren't humanoid

Pleb tier
>>
File: soithascometothis.jpg (36KB, 374x315px) Image search: [Google]
soithascometothis.jpg
36KB, 374x315px
>>44843869
>Homebrew is the lifeblood of the hobby.
>>
>>44843535
You can ignore those other fools. Get the dual wielder feat. Get a horse. Dual wield lances or don't even bother.
>>
should I drop Pathflounder for 5e now that it's OGL familias?
>>
>>44843324
Yeah, looks like it's Greyhawk Ravenloft, not Demiplane of Dread Ravenloft.
>>
>>44844259
If you play Pathfinder solely for the character building aspects, then. Otherwise, yes, and with due haste. Keep in mind that the OGL isn't all of the PHB rules, as it only gives on subclass per class in there, but you can always just pirate the PHB if you want.
>>
>>44844259
no go away
>>
>>44844307
There's no information about that either way, outside of mentions of the original Ravenloft adventure. It could very well start in FR and have characters wander into the Demiplane of Dread (that's what my bet is on it being, anyway).
>>
>>44844350
Given that the last time WotC did an adventure based on Ravenloft back in 3e, and their seeming 1e mindset when it comes to campaign worlds, we're getting Greyhawk Ravenloft.

Hopefully we get some extra shit that at least allows us to stitch together a new DoD.
>>
File: WildElf.jpg (143KB, 897x357px) Image search: [Google]
WildElf.jpg
143KB, 897x357px
Since elves have no option for being a str-based fighter, I was thinking of brewing up a wild elf. What do you think?
>>
>>44845109
>Wild Elves
Everybody forgets the Grugach.
>>
>>44845109
You need to mention a casting stat for the spells, and also reword it to fit with the short rest/long rest nomenclature for players.

Also Unhindered Steps overlaps with a land druid ability completely, so I'm not sure it's the best idea for a racial feature.

It's still probably fine though.
>>
>>44845183
>>44845109
>Grugach Elfs

I love you both.
>>
how would a 1st level wild magic sorcerer do true striking with a sling and the sharpshooter feat? Every other turn shots with advantage ignoring cover.

Then witch bolt, shield and shocking grasp for combat; message and prestidigitation for fluff.
>>
>>44845222
>You need to mention a casting stat for the spells
I was thinking about that, but none of the spells require the use of a casting stat. Also I think I might have to work on the Unhindered Step thing...
>>
>>44845279
I can't tell if you're shitposting, or genuinely want to do these things. In either case, you need serious help, chum.
>>
File: pleading-eyes.jpg (427KB, 1024x752px) Image search: [Google]
pleading-eyes.jpg
427KB, 1024x752px
Do we have a scan of Ravenloft yet?
>>
>>44845279
I mean, I guess if it fits your character concept it would be fine, but honestly you'd get more mileage out of firebolt or ray of frost than a sling. True strike isn't a guaranteed hit in 5e.

Also note that witch bolt is a pretty medicore spell all around, since you have to use your action to maintain it and the ongoing damage doesn't scale at all.
>>
>>44845222
Though it does make some sense, Grugach are basically xenophobic druid-elves.
>>
>>44845367
IT ISN'T EVEN OUT YET, JESUS FUCK TITS.
>>
>>44845367
The one coming out in two months?
No.
>>
>>44845367
>>44845388
They haven't even announced it officially.
>>
>>44845279
How long do you plan on making the campaign?

Later on, sorcerer gets so many cantrips that not picking a damaging one, far superior than sharpshooter, would be a waste. You could be using true strike with acid splashes for instance, outclassing the sling. You're better off picking a feat that will remain useful all around. If in doubt, just pick lucky and roll with it.
>>
>>44845388
>>44845389
>>44845403

>not having a time machine
>>
>>44845457
Time machines are shit and ruin campaigns.
>>
>>44843523
sonic moves at 3000 mph so he can move about
5280 squares in one turn
>>
Race and Background are done, moving onto an archetype before I post it here for feedback.

What do you guys think would be a better choice?
My ideas thusfar are;
-fighter archetype based around using cannons/siege weapons and powder charges, with ribbons for destroying structures or clearing away other environmental issues
-druid archetype based around the sea/water, with healing rains etc. Able to conjure really heavy rain that lets them treat areas as being underwater for the purposes of spells and such
-a monk archetype revolving around pure athleticism and strength - inner strength kinda deal, not put as much thought into this one

all 3 can easily relate to the rest of the content so fluff isn't a problem
>>
>>44845560
The first one sounds really eh, but the other two are interesting.
>>
>>44845560
>Able to conjure really heavy rain that lets them treat areas as being underwater for the purposes of spells and such
Other then fire, what would this actually change?
>>
>>44845671
Water walking so they can climb as high as the clouds.
>>
Where could I find that info/graphic pack for the DMGuild?
>>
>>44845671
maybe bonuses to frost/thunder spells and such
or if there's spells that require a body of water it could count for that? Elemental Evil probably has a few, otherwise I'll just add a few

I'm sure I could think of some neat stuff to do with it
>>
>>44845762
Gonna have to be more specific, anon.
>>
>>44845373
>>44845437
It will just play for one module and we will stay level 1. True striking with the sharpshooter option to do +10 dam for -5 to hit seemed ok
>>
>>44845109
This reminds me. I should write up a superfluous elf stat block. These are the elves who know when they are not needed and get the f*** out. That should serve to cover all the elves past the classics.
>>
>>44845848
Then how do you start with the 6 cantrips already?
>>
File: Unaligned.png (294KB, 629x189px) Image search: [Google]
Unaligned.png
294KB, 629x189px
So it's finally happened, so much time has passed that even the people fucking WRITING the game have forgotten what the fuck Alignment was supposed to represent in the first place.
>>
>>44846050
>All sharks go to hell.
>>
>>44846050
I think the only reason alignment still exists is some kind of general idea of behavioural tendencies. Nothing interacts with alignment anymore.
>>
>>44846097
It's largely there to describe why the Great Wheel cosmology is how it is. Otherwise for most creatures it's completely descriptive with little mechanical influence.
>>
>>44846050
>Lions choose to kill others for food.
>>
>>44846050
What the fuck was alignment supposed to represent in the first place?

>>44846097
It still exists because people get mad if you take it out.
>>
>>44846129
Pretty much and becomes even more irrelevant if you don't use Great Wheel cosmology for your games.
>>
>>44846177
>It still exists because people get mad if you take it out.

Fact. I mean I'm okay with alignment existing for outsiders or as a role playing guide. I just hate alignment requirements on PCs doing shit or things "requiring" a certain alignment.

Too many dumb fucking arguments over the years.
>>
>>44846177
>It still exists because people get mad if you take it out.

Most players and DMs I know never use it. It's now even more mechanically irrelevant in 5e.
>>
I give my characters alignment more out of habit than anything.
>>
What level should I take my players to the planes if I want them to have a bizarre plane-hopping adventure? Looking in the Monster Manual it seems doable as early as 13th level.
>>
>>44846256
You can do it at any level, but if you want them to reliably fight stuff all the time and not sneak or talk their way out of situations then yeah at least level 10.
>>
>>44845887
S-shield and witchbolt are level 1
>>
>>44846331

That's the impression I got. It's a bit different from previous editions where you really didn't want to go to the outer planes before much higher levels.
>>
>>44846344
Fuck they are, sorry, I forgot because I never used witch bolt.
>>
File: saboteur.jpg (34KB, 372x480px) Image search: [Google]
saboteur.jpg
34KB, 372x480px
How would you go about making a saboteur type character? The only real given is stealth, maybe try to work in glyph of warding.
>>
>>44846050
Seems reasonable to me. I mean yeah animals could be considered true neutral but they technically lack the intelligence to act upon more than just instinct so calling them unaligned seems more appropriate.

Also I personally use alignment as a guideline for character behavior more than anything else. I remember how back in 3.5 alignment was important for certain spells but i don't remember any grander purpose for alignment outside of that.
>>
>>44846445
You can use dexterity to disbale traps, you could argue with a GM that you could also use the same for other similar things, or maybe tie it with wisdom assuming they'd know how to hide the mess they made.

Be an arcane trickester, use stuff like invisibility, glyphys, illusions and the like and learn something to run if you get caught. I assume proficiency into acrobatics, stealth, investigation and perception would be best. High dex and int, with moderate into and con and lower cha and str, since someone resorting to such tactics isn't the friendliest or strongest person around.
>>
I have a new player to D&D in general in my game. He rolled up a Rogue and went Thief. How can I make him feel like his path isn't total crap at lower levels? The rest of the table picked good paths and are getting all this cool stuff and he can climb good and jump a little further.
>>
>>44846709
Point out that he can caltrop and ball bearing the fuck out of a significant area in the middle of battle with the "Use an Object" cunning action, and there's nothing stopping him from taking a minute to pick them up after battle so he doesn't really have to spend money restoring his reserves.
>>
>>44846709
put them in situations where his situational benefits apply

maybe they need to get in somewhere and nobody else is capable of doing it well? maybe they're being chased by something they can't fight for x reason and need to get around an obstacle it looks like only the rogue can manage?
>>
>>44846050
>grr what does alignment mean
Dunno what it was supposed to represent previously, but right now it's a sacred cow that makes people very angry with each other when it's mentioned.

I still think the game would be better off if they axed it entirely. They're already rendering it essentially vestigial, so maybe they'll finish the job in 6e or 7e.
>>
>>44846709
Give him a stealth mission that would allow him to have a moment to shine. Something short and simple but something his character would do best. Small things like that can really boosts a players mood towards their character.

Also this >>44846736
>>
>>44846757

They tried to reduce it in 4e but then shitstorms came up and it returned in full for 5e.
>>
>>44843581
>>44843535
Dueling specifically doesn't work with dual wielding. Use the designated TWF fighting style.
>>
how does this sound /tg/? In reference to option 2 of >>44845560

>RAINS OF REGROWTH
>Starting at 2nd level, you can conjure forth magical rain laden with healing energy to support your allies. This rain covers a 10ft area emanating from a chosen point within 100ft of the caster. The covered area expands by 10ft at 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level, to a maximum of 50ft. This rain persists for 1d4 turns, and heals anyone affected by it for 1+ your Wisdom modifier. Once you have used this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

A later feature would let you move the rain around + give up spell slots to maintain it for more turns.
>>
>>44846050

In 2e True Neutral meant two COMPLETELY different things when applied to an intelligent NPC vs. an animal or sub-sapient monster.

5e Unaligned is just the Animal definition of True Neutral given distinction from the other.
>>
>>44846950
The problems I see with that is
1. Druids already have goodberry for out-of-combat healing (which this is, because no one in their right mind would risk healing enemies).
2. Archetype feature improvement should follow archetype progression, not base class progression.
>>
>>44847102

The wording of the spell says-
>to support your allies
So I don't think enemies are affected by it.
>>
>>44847102
What if it had no effect on enemies? Would that tip it a little too flexible?
And noted
>>
>>44847149
It says heals anyone. Enemies are someone,
>>
>>44846950
>>44847224
>healing energy to support your allies
>heals anyone affected by it
>>
>>44847224

Anybody who's anybody would know better than to get in the way of a pack of ravening murder-hobos.
>>
>>44847284
>>44847149

You're a dumbo

The operative word here is "Anyone"

Literally every other spell where the word "anyone" is used affects all creatures within the area of effect.

The "Support your allies" bit is clearly fluff.
>>
>>44847314

Not the same person man, I'm strictly >>44847149
>>
to end this argument, my intention was for it to heal both to encourage smart placement/movement but I now see that might be dumb and thus it only affects allies
>>
>>44847314
Why even write "to support your allies" if it worked on everybody? Why not just end it after "healing energy"? No other heal spell specifically says allies.
This is also a homebrew and assuming they use terms exactly the same way that WOTC does makes you the dumbo.
>>
>>44847446

Shut up author, you're dead now, that's how this works.
>>
File: snug smug.jpg (37KB, 552x571px) Image search: [Google]
snug smug.jpg
37KB, 552x571px
>go to DMsguild
>download a PYWY thing that was just posted because it has some interesting flavor
>open the PDF
>it's shit in every way possible
>it has one 5-star review that its author blatantly made because you can do that for some reason
>give it a 1-star rating and break down why it's so fucking awful
>>
>>44848482
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44844197
>Implying it isn't
>>
>>44848482
Good for you, cautiously judgmental anon.

Sleep snug, smug.
>>
>>44848482
Sleep snug, smug.

I actually gave my own thing a five-star rating at first, since I noticed that everything else was somehow miraculously starting with five stars and I didn't want to be left in the dust because I wasn't exploiting the system like everyone else...

...but I then removed my rating as soon as I had actual customer ratings.
>>
>>44843295
So I just got back from session one of a two or three session thang.

We played a Ravenloft module that was adopted from AD&D2e, and the DM hadn't even heard about the Ravenloft stuff coming back yet. He's had this planned for a month or so.

I played a Rogue 5 (Arcane Trickster)/Rune Scribe 1, and lemme tell ya, it's complete bullshit. My attacks at +7 to hit with easily gained advantage (True Strike, Familiar scrolls) and always being next to an ally were hitting for 2d8+3d6+4 with rerolling and keeping the highest damage result when I used Green-Flame Blade, which is a cantrip. I also got to hit a second target with 1d8+3, rerolling and keeping high.

I was out-DPRing the optimized Champion Fighter and only died because of a Banshee getting the drop on me and wailing me to 0, leading me to rolling 4, 18, 7, and then 4 on death saving throws as the rest of the party alternatively got cockblocked and screamed down.

Advice to GMs: Think long and hard about letting any character who can build into that get it. I got one crit off and did 37 damage before rerolling and taking the high roll (4d8+6d6+4), and that's below the average. Keep in mind, this is at level six, and my HP was 36. I did more damage than I had health in one crit.

Needless to say, I love it and I am planning on playing this character in the next 5e game I play long term.

Next session I need to bring a new character as after dying there's no explanation to bring the same exact character/build. I'm torn between trying out the Psionics from the UA and building a Monk or a Fighter (Weaponmaster). Anyone have any experience with the former?
>>
Question, one of the racials of air genasi grants the ability to cast levitate once per day, and says constitution is your casting stat. I understand that, but kinda confused about setting the save DC.
SInce I'm an air genasi sorcerer
would it be 8+CON mod (3)+proeficiency bonus.
Where do i find the proeficiency bonus for spellcasting?
>>
>>44849168
Proficiency bonus is the same for everyone, as it's based on character level. You should really know what it is because it applies to your save DCs, spell attack rolls, and weapon attack rolls, and all the skills you're proficient in, and saving throws you're proficient in, and maybe other stuff as well.
>>
>>44849194
ah thanks, i keep forgeting about it since roll20 handles most things for you.
I also haven't built a proper character in half a year .
>>
>>44849110
The psionics in the UA play a bit weird. I played a new years' eve one-off with a variant human Immortal Mystic 4. The Psionic Weapon discipline lets you dump psi points into dealing extra d10s of damage, which is a lot like a paladin's smite but you tend to have way, way more uses of it. While it probably evens out once paladins get an extra attack, at lower levels you'll tend to outclass them wholeheartedly, though it probably starts hurting if you blow your load of psi points too quickly.
>>
So in March when the new Strahd adventure module releases my current group wants me to become the DM. Now I've had very limited experience dming for 3.5 before but was mostly looking for tips as well as anything to look out for balancewise in this edition. there's a few things I know of already (like sharpshooter fighters)but was looking for more input. Any would be appreciated.
>>
Is there any release schedule for new books?
I remember when 5e first came out there were a few lists about future releases but I can't find any updated ones.
>>
>>44843893
I home brewed some classes for my modern game since I didn't like the phb ones in a modern setting
>>
>>44849403
The only thing you need to watch out for is Four Elements monks (which you should convince people to not play at all) and Beast Master rangers (which you should throw a bone to like some extra HP for their companion or what have you). Outside of that, even the strongest fighter builds don't outshine other classes all that much, or at least don't to the point where anyone feels useless.

As long as they don't purposely fuck it up, building viable in 5e is a low bar to meet.

>>44849415
Return to Ravenloft storyline is being announced tomorrow, the main adventure is called Curse of Strahd and comes out in March. Outside of that, Wizards doesn't officially announce shit anything more than four months out.
>>
>>44849110
If you want to continue to destroy your enemies like your rogue my suggestion would be a GWM vengeance Paladian. You could easily nova one or two enemies of immense power a day and also hit all other enemies pretty roughly. Plus the bonus you get to all your saves and your healing power will help with survivability.

Also glad to hear the rogue scribe went well.
>>
>>44849491
Oh sweet. I always liked Ravenloft. Just need Ebberon and Dark Sun.

That sucks about radio silence on wizard's part though.
>>
>>44849491
>way of the 4 elements
Use this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwT0tzdmFjeXBHY1U/view
>>
>Play Devotion Paladin
>Read about Undying Light patron
>Want it
>Decide to have a big story scene for my multiclass into Warlock
>Princes of the Apocalypse, using Drown
>Figured it'd be cool if I break free from the curse and attempt to destroy the weapon, only to be blown back by energy yadda yadda
>Ask another player who is a friend of mine to call my character out on his villainy
>Moment arrives
>Other player doesn't really hit any emotional strings due to him joining late and missing my character introduction and basically me not giving him any ammo to use against me
>Whole thing ends up being forced and lame
>Still multiclassed and shot Eldritch Blasts

All together I'm fairly disappointed in myself.
>>
>>44849619
But that's also shit.
>>
>>44849168
There's only one proficiency bonus, it's on all class tables, and is the same if you multi-class cause it's really based on level, they just restate it there so you can find it. At level one it's +2.
>>
Is it just me, or is the "Hottest Titles" bar on DMs Guild determined by how much money they make, rather than how many orders include them? Kind of fucks over people doing PWYW rather than forcing payment.
>>
>>44846950
go back to WoW faggot
>>
>>44849514
I was thinking about Paladining but I'm not sure, I've played so many of them. I love them, but they're my most commonly played class.

I'm really glad the Rogue Scribe worked well too, but it would definitely need GM approval for a larger game (finding the Rune to begin with). I definitely surprised the only player there who had looked much into actual optimization of characters; he hadn't looked at RS before.
>>
>>44849855
>blizzard invented and patented the idea of rain that heals
>>
>>44850003
What's next? You going to make a blood elf subrace? Maybe funny troll variants that speak Jamaican?
>>
>>44850089
great, thanks for the ideas anon
>>
>>44850194
Maybe giant shoulders on every characters, everyone get's a legendary! anal blessed blade of windseeker LOL
>>
>>44850233
this is all gold, thanks
>>
>>44850089
>>44850233
These are actually really good, can I steal these?
>>
>>44848482
Sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44850329
>These are actually really good, can I steal these?
anal [Kill Command] lmao
>>
>>44850233
Did someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]? Because I could have sworn I heard someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker].
>>
>>44849605
Just Barovia and Strahd son. We're getting another retread of I6 from the looks of things.
>>
File: 1427831389453.jpg (28KB, 370x200px) Image search: [Google]
1427831389453.jpg
28KB, 370x200px
>>44848482
>Publishing stuff on DM'sG
>List things as PWYW to help circulate and get more ratings
>Some random Joe slaps a 5 star review on both of your new things and comments before anyone else
>Still not worried because acquired more than $5 in less than 2 days
>>
File: Behold my Semitic power.jpg (308KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Behold my Semitic power.jpg
308KB, 1600x1200px
>>44850902
>mfw I've been averaging roughly $2 to $3 a day off of one title
>>
I've got a few titles on DMs Guild as PWYW and have made around $26 now, meaning people have paid over $50 altogether for stuff I make for fun that they could easily download for free. That's like, buy-a-few-games-during-Steam-sale money. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Also my stuff has nothing but good to great reviews so my dick is huge.
>>
So how much better is the Fighter/Scout than the normal Hunter Ranger? I was going to roll up a wood elf and was leaning fighter pretty heavily.
>>
>>44851066
Yeah, but how many reviews per product? I'm sitting here at only three reviews, but over six hundred orders, stewing in my desire for more feedback. Hell, even negative feedback would be wonderful, since it would tell me what to fix.
>>
>>44851098
The only thing scouts have over them is access to utility and healing magic, and I guess Hunter's Mark and some of the Hunter class features can put them ahead in damage until the fighter gets a third attack. But, the Scout is still more versatile in skills and can take Sharpshooter with no worries thanks to being able to spend a a superiority die to add to damage.
>>
What would someone who's barely even heard of Ravenloft need to find and look at, in order to plan an adventure there?
>>
>>44851180
A good place to start is the old 3.5 adventure Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Beyond that there's the old 2nd edition books that introduced the setting, which talk about the use of horror in games and specifically the type of Gothic horror that Ravenloft emulates.

The key decision I think you have to make is how do you want to play it? Because you can either try and enforce a horror atmosphere and convince the table to go along with it, have sinister vampires and werewolf clans roaming the landscape, distrustful inhabitants paranoid about witches and monsters, old curses that stain bloodlines for generations etc.

Or you can treat it as a Hammer Horror style romp, cheesy vampires with black capes and big castles who do not drink... vine, shaggy wolfmen with bad table manners, mad scientists, lurching zombies etc.
>>
>>44850537

That's still a great name that's really fun to say out loud.
>>
Are the DMsguild adventure templates fine for archetypes?
>>
>>44851174
Most I have is 4 reviews, and they're all 4- and 5-star. It helps that two of the things I've posted I've gotten feedback on way before DMs Guild went up.

And man, that site needs better analytics. The only way to see how many times your thing has been downloaded is to go to update the files for that title, and the only way to see what reviews it has is to go to the product page--which there isn't any way to get to from your account dashboard, because the stuff you've uploaded isn't listed anywhere.
>>
First time playing sorcerer/caster, I choose storm origin.
For my cantrips I choose frost ray, frostbite, lightning lure and prestidigitación, but no idea what to pick for spells, any recommendations?
>>
File: Hulk not sorry.gif (983KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hulk not sorry.gif
983KB, 500x200px
One of my party members made a mistake that costed our party's barbarian his tongue. The ensuing slaughter was fucking metal. This gigantic half-elf barbarian just starts throwing this dragonborn around like a toy before forcing his head beneath the water of a fountain and ripped the draconic tongue from his mouth with his free hand.
Another party member managed to roll a 32 somehow in an attempt to magically or surgically attach the dragon tongue in the barbarian's mouth.
So naturally as a dragonborn paladin of Tiamat, my character believes he just witnessed a sign. This should be fun to work with.

I'm glad that the players were mature enough to not take it personally (the dead dragonborn's PC was actually laughing).

Oh, and on a related note, does anyone have suggestions on how to start a cult following in a socially and economically stable city? There doesn't seem to be any overarching social issues that I could capitalize on to build a following, so I need a different approach to the whole thing.
>>
File: S60118-004938.jpg (432KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
S60118-004938.jpg
432KB, 800x1280px
Thinking of playing a regular old human wizard with the personality of matt berrys characters like toast, beef, the one with the american etc

Says whats on his mind, generally ignorant of general knowledge, and all sex is replaced with magic
>>
>>44851381
If you're at level 1, I'd say probably Thunderwave and Sleep. Swap out Sleep at 3rd or 4th level when it starts being less effective.
>>
>>44851430
>with the personality of matt berrys characters like toast, beef, the one with the american etc
No idea what any of this means.
>>
>>44851437
Yeah i wanted thunderwave to clear out the trash, but don't aoe spells affect allies?
Would be kinda shitty damaging them if they fail the roll
>>
>>44851377
Oh, yeah, I went through over 64 drafts and revisions before DM's Guild, but still. Every time someone tells me that something's wrong is another time that something can be made better.

The site seriously needs better analytics, yeah. I'm fairly certain their "hottest titles" list goes off of sales and not orders--and an order only counts as a sale when they actually spend money. That means that "hottest titles" only shows what products are making money, not necessarily the ones that are actually popular.

Shit's fucked. There are even bugs surrounding the Upload/Update Files page, to the extent that I actually couldn't update the files attached to prior orders. New orders would have the updated files just fine, but orders from before the update wouldn't. I ended up having to contact the support team, and they still haven't found the bug--though they did brute force update the data tables so that older orders had the correct files.

I don't actually care about making money, I just want to shove my version of the shaman out there in case it's able to influence any official version of the class that they end up releasing.
>>
>>44851327
The hammer horror part of this is the best advice, the big names have always been Barovia and its master Strahd. The other part that helps is to just make it cut off and technically hell for the rulers.

Say anon should I just help some horror niggas out and explain the Darklords?
>>
>>44851528
Hey, if you're lucky your version might end up the official one. The DMs Guild rules do say they can include our content in official books
>>
File: thunderwave.png (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
thunderwave.png
12KB, 250x250px
>>44851472
Cubes in 5e originate on one of the faces.

Pic related: you are blue, allies are green, enemies are red. Yellow is the thunderwave.
>>
>>44851582
not that anon:

you are fucking shitting me
>>
>>44851582
this is a lie btw
>>
File: 1412387950876.png (335KB, 417x515px) Image search: [Google]
1412387950876.png
335KB, 417x515px
First time DMing ever, got a group of newbies. How can I make this the funnest experience for them? Tips/tricks?
>>
File: cubes.png (100KB, 368x118px) Image search: [Google]
cubes.png
100KB, 368x118px
>>44851616
>>44851627
>>
>>44851645
>>44851627
>>44851582
ah thanks a lot, I need to do a lot of reading about casting.
>>
File: 1364740416404.png (557KB, 1014x3387px) Image search: [Google]
1364740416404.png
557KB, 1014x3387px
>>44851629
>>
>>44851645
I had not even the slightest clue
>>
>>44851398
>Another party member managed to roll a 32 somehow
bs
>>
>>44851645
This depresses me for some reason.
>>
>>44843566
I can't tell if you put a lot of effort into this shitpost, or none at all.
>>
>>44851567
...I was about to say "That's incredibly unlikely"

And then I remembered exactly how lazy by which I mean understaffed and overworked the current D&D team is.

I actually have a decent shot, don't I? At 4/5 stars after 8 ratings and 3 reviews, and currently number 15 in the hottest titles list for the Sourcebooks:Characters:Class/Clan/Faction category...

This is a weird feeling that I was not expecting to have tonight.
>>
>>44851696
Honestly, even though I was there and witnessed it, I wouldn't doubt it. I admit I wasn't paying enough attention when it happened. GM might have lied, player might have lied, etc. Either way it went through.
>>
>>44851645
Tbh I was quite surprised when I learned this. It sorta makes sense but at the same time is just seems odd. Though truth be told this makes the spell a bit better. It's more controllable that way.
>>
>>44851696
It's not too far fetched. Expertise would double a +4 proficiency bonus to an 8 and an intelligence of 18 would give a +4 to make a total of +12 which makes 32 possible. Honestly you can go even higher with some skills even easier.
>>
>>44851797

skimming over the shaman pdf, and it is pretty solid. Love the gift of sight, senpai. One quick note is the wording on pic related, seems unclear if it is intended to still cost spirit points. I would assume not since it is 20th level ability, but the wording is unclear.
>>
If you have a ranger who has 14 str and 16 dex, and you are going to be heading into melee, would you be better off grabbing a greatsword with the decreased hit chance, or just stick with two shortswords (i chose archery style so no offhand bonuses there)
>>
>>44852198
100% greatsword desu, senpai.
>>
>>44852198
Honestly, I've been wondering if a GWF focused Ranger would be viable.
You'd probably want your first level in Fighter, or 2 in Paladin, to get the fighting style and heavy armor. Paladin's a bigger sink, and though it does get you Smite, it makes you quite MAD. Then you can grab Defense style from Ranger, and do things like Whirlwind Attack like pic related..
>>
File: Owl Familiar.jpg (78KB, 713x950px) Image search: [Google]
Owl Familiar.jpg
78KB, 713x950px
I've been working on a few character concepts for my first 5e session later this month, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to use. I know I want to play a caster, but I can't decide which one will be the best for my first run. (I've got plenty of experience in PF, but that's about it.)

Current character concepts are:
Illusionist Wizard, Forest Gnome. Travelling the world in search of illusion magic so powerful, it can't be separated from reality. (High level shadow magic, essentially).

Fiend Pact Warlock (Tome or Chain), Tiefling. Stuck in a contract with a Devil made by his grandfather decades ago. Still debating whether I want it to be an antagonistic relationship or more businesslike.

Storm Sorcerer, Human. Free spirit. Wants to be an adventurer for the sole reason that he gets paid to travel and use his magic, the two things that are most important to him.

Are any of these classes particularly better than the others? Also, do any of the character concepts stand out as boring or uninteresting? I want my first character to be a good one.
>>
Would it be worth it as a human scout to take magic initiate for a few cantrips and an owl familiar? Seems like it would really help in scouting, and you could take over its sight and see in the dark. Even if I did that, I could still have 20 dex and sharpshooter by level 8...
>>
>>44852601
Owl familiar bro. Owls can also get you advantage on attack rolls without provoking thanks to help action + flyby.
>>
>>44852551
Most people will tell you that wizard is the most potentially powerful of those. Sorcerer is somewhat weak, even if quite flavorful, and is better as an introductory caster class. Warlock isn't exactly a full caster, since they can become a cantrip autoattack turret in combat, but have a number of interesting applications if you get in the right mindset. Tome or Chain are the better boons for it, though.
Wizard isn't infallible, especially illusionist, but you'll have a hell of a lot of spells and a hell of a lot of options. Just pick smart and play smart.
>>
>>44852152
You know, I had never thought of the spells you cast off of it NOT casting spirit points, and you seriously made me consider changing it to that, but, on reflection, I'm going to keep it as is, with the spells costing points normally.

Thing is, the shaman vs. warlock dialogue is consistently one of versatility versus power. Warlocks get four slots, full stop, while shamans get a more granular spellcasting mechanic. Warlocks get to pick ALL of their spells known, but shamans get to swap out roughly a third of their spells every time they take a long rest. Eldritch blast does more damage than shaman cantrips, but shamans can squeeze out a little bit more damage by consuming some of their spellcasting resource. Gift of Savagery shamans can actually be a melee presence, while Pact of the Blade warlocks lack several of their toys, but doing so, again, costs casting resource. In order to further compensate for the versatility bump, shamans are also one invocation behind the warlock progression.

The warlock capstone lets you regain up to four spell slots by spending one minute entreating your patron. Letting Spiritual Master give you free spells would let you cast up to TEN 5th-level or lower spells, from any of the spells on the spell list. That's more powerful--two and a half times the number of "spell slots"--and incredibly versatile. Given the shaman spell list, it wouldn't necessarily be game-breaking, but it would definitely be far more powerful than the analogous feature from the sister class.

A lot of the base class capstones are things that provide bonuses to play, not huge changes to that degree. I'm perfectly happy with it being more of a versatility tool than a power one.

I'll keep toying with possible changes to it over the next few days, though.

Anything you want me to take a gander at?
>>
>>44852551
Personally I would vote sorcerer, but I'm biased. All three sound grand, but each has strengths and weaknesses. If you want to mainly poke and have a large variety of flavor and utility options, go warlock. If you want to eventually gain at will flying and burst spell more, go sorcerer. Wizards are basically the ultimate balance of utility and burst but if you lose your book somehow your out a lot of money.
>>
>>44852672
I wouldn't call sorcerers weak, they just have less utility. Dragon sorcerer in particular is quite sturdy from my experience.
>>
File: Third Eye Owl.jpg (97KB, 736x858px) Image search: [Google]
Third Eye Owl.jpg
97KB, 736x858px
>>44852672
Alright I'll keep that in mind. I was the party's primary caster (Wizard/Summoner/Druid) whenever we ran Pathfinder, so I think I've got the spell selection mindset down. I'm just not sure how they all stack up to each other now that metamagic is Sorc only and I have no experience with something along the lines of Warlock.

>>44852751
Is burst spell actually viable in this edition or should I look more for utility options? I've seen a lot of conversations in these generals about blasting being better but I'd rather not get to the end of the line and find out I could have done something more useful.
>>
>>44843674
No, Second Wind will interfere with your dual-wielding. Second Wind is a once-per-short-rest ability, it's something you use in an emergency, not something you count on as a staple of your build.
>>
>>44852910
Blasting is ultimately better, but you should always keep a few utility spells in your back pocket to be safe. If you go wizard this will be no problem but with sorcerer it becomes a bit more tricky. However, sorcerer is the only class that can cast haste on more than one person, and honestly that will become the main non burst spell you cast once e you hit lvl 6.
>>
File: its 4 sale ok.jpg (637KB, 1200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
its 4 sale ok.jpg
637KB, 1200x1467px
Hiya /5eg/, just started my first campaign as a 5e PC (DM'd the last one, which was our entire group's first).

I've rolled up a level 1 forest gnome bard, which I know isn't really ideal min-maxing, but I like the flavour nonetheless.

My stat line is 12/14/13/16/13/16.

I know that pumping INT as a bard isn't a great idea, but I got a +2 from being a gnome, and the rest of the party are dumb as bricks - a barb, a fighter and a monk, all with INT as their dump stat.

My question is, how good of an idea would it be to multiclass into Warlock?

I was thinking of grabbing Bard 1 / Warlock 2 / Lore Bard X - that way I can pick up my Bardic Inspiration and Song of Rest, along with Vicious Mockery and Dissonant Whispers for the debuff and damage.

Then as quickly as possible, I dip 2 levels of Great Old One Warlock so that I can grab Awakened Mind (particularly handy when your other language is fucking Gnomish), and Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast/Repelling Blast for some cantrip-based ranged damage.

Then I'd be flipping back to Bard levels to take advantage of the better scaling that Bards have in later levels.

I personally like the idea of a mushroom-quaffing Gnome who's made a pact with some unspeakable eldritch horror and runs around the battle field playing his pan flute and singing ancient magical songs that no man was ever meant to hear, and I feel like the Bard/Warlock mix has good synergy from a crunch perspective.

Any thoughts? Should I stick with Warlock till level 3 for the Pact Boon? Or maybe Level 4 for the Ability Score increase (which would otherwise be quite severely delayed and possibly much-needed given my strange stat line)?
>>
>>44844004
That's not even a little bit fiddly. The only appreciable difference between what you want and what they said is that your second check is a shove and not a grapple.
>>
>>44843893
If you can't think of anything that needs to be homebrewed, then you don't need homebrew in your game.
>>
>>44853084
But homebrew is the lifeblood of the entire hobby!
>>
>>44845848
Most of the time, Sharpshooter every round without advantage is statistically better than Sharpshooter every other round with advantage.
>>
>>44853179
Sharpshooter from being hidden the first round, then use precision attack with your superiority dice to make sure the sharpshooter attack hits when you really need it. I once blew away a giant crab with this technique, and the DM said "this kills the crab" and we all lmao'd irl
>>
>>44853099
Idk if I would say that. Personally I use to ban homebrews as a dm and avoid them like the plague as a player. Even with all of this new open license stuff floating around I've been iffy on it all.

With that said however I've decided to give homebrew a chance. I'm going to try to make a sorcerer archetype that focuses on Necromancy and creating powerful undead. I'll share here after making it, getting local feedback, and improving it.
>>
>>44853267
I was making fun of this guy >>44843869
>>
>>44853292
Ah, ok. Mb.
>>
>>44843295
Scrub GM here.

What's the general consensus on having a 'Deadly' encounter for a party as the final fight of a one-shot/campaign?

I want to create the heroic final stand kind of vibe whilst avoiding the dickbag 'Rocks fall' feel. But, that said, I'm something of a sub-par GM when it comes to actual narration and such.
>>
>>44853509
Give them a couple of light encounters first to get them fired up and spend a spell slot/hit dice or two. Then hit 'em with the big one. Make sure to build up to it in the smaller encounters with shit like "As the last goblin dies he squeaks that Big Boss Skullgnasher is gonna fix you good!" etc.
>>
>>44853541
Yeah, that had been the plan.

Party called in to hunt monsters that have been raiding the town at night or whatever.
Progressively stronger fights.

Big bad monster comes out on the final night to smashfuck the party.

The idea was a pyrrhic victory kind of thing.
>>
File: 1452845732511.jpg (128KB, 770x1557px) Image search: [Google]
1452845732511.jpg
128KB, 770x1557px
>>44852077
>>44851842
a rogue with expertise in medicine? if true thats awesome and sounds like it fit well into the game the original poster i responded to is playing

BUT STILL 32? guidance i guess could easily make the aforementioned expertise 18 int medicine healer rogue need to roll ONLY a 16 to get a 32. plus what if there was bardic inspiration in the mix?

alright i concede its all possible. i've rolled some ridiculous untrue story sounding things.
>>
>>44852497
whirlwind attack sucks and you're pretty much gimping yourself to go ranger past say level 8, but ranger does get some cool tricks up its sleeve, all of which are applicable (and perhaps moreso) to great weapon fighters. such as a free extra attack.

especially if you go the variant non magic ranger.
>>
File: Owl by gaudibuendia.jpg (269KB, 1000x1026px) Image search: [Google]
Owl by gaudibuendia.jpg
269KB, 1000x1026px
>>44853712
If your players are smart they'll try to take measures to skew the odds in their favor. Let them. Encouraging creativity in players may make your deadly encounters significantly less deadly, but in the end your challenge made them use their brains to get through it.

At the end of the day, it's less about your players surviving the challenges you throw at them and more about them overcoming your challenges.
>>
>>44853821
You would be surprised what crazy scrap can happen if you get lucky enough rolls. I got a wild magic surge once that landed on the one minute of wild surging, and I got nothing but good effects off of it all and even one shot an enemy cultist cleric.
>>
How strong would 6 level battlemaster be with tavern brawler and grappler?
>>
>>44854232
Weaker than the same BM that focuses on actually using weapons
>>
>>44854232
You would definitely be a solid grappler and could hit fairly hard. It's not optimal but in the right party it could definitely be effective.
>>
>>44854232
If you can knock an enemy prone and keep them grappled, it should work pretty decently.
>>
>>44846709
Also use object doesnt always mean ball bearings and shit.. depending on characters str and whatnot you can use the use object skill feat whatever to throw tables, stools... etc.
>>
File: 1452843897053.jpg (540KB, 658x878px) Image search: [Google]
1452843897053.jpg
540KB, 658x878px
What are peoples thoughts on knowledge skills? Have you used them? Were they cool? Anyone expertise history? Nature? Medicine?
>>
I'm thinking about writing some stuff up for DMsGuild. Is there more of a desire for short adventures, longer (maybe short campaign length), or just classes and race varients?
>>
My players got quite lucky last session and found a magic lamp. They got even luckier and got 3 wishes from the Djinni inside.
As I explained this to them the first guy just shouted "Battledonkey" without the others having any chance to intervene.
He shall get his battledonkey. So far I was thinking of giving him the stats of a unicorn (no heal spells) or a hellhound. Need some help and ideas. Setting is low magic fantasy early middle ages.
>>
>>44850902
>>44851066

How bad of an idea would it be to pump out a bunch of adventures to make some beer money? If I can get $3/day per adventure, I could easily write a dozen and get $36/day, more or less. Lord knows I have the time and old campaign notes right now.
>>
>>44846950
Resto Shaman homebrew ahoy!
>>
>>44843295
Personal homebrew:
Monks get magic initiate for free at lvl 2.

Yay or nay?

Or, all monks get to choose one of 3 new spell attacks at lvl3 they can use as bonus actions for 2 ki.

All of them use the Wis mod for bonus damage.

Flying swords - Magic swords or daggers are formed and plunged into any opponents within a 10ft range dealing 1d6+Wis mod force damage to all opponents within range. The die is increased by an additional 1d6 at lvl 6, lvl 9, lvl 12, lvl 15 and lvl 18.

Tribulation lightning - the user draws at the power of tribulation lightning to hit all targets within a 30 ft range as well as him self for a 1d8+Wis mod lightning damage. If the user has at least 1 Hp remaining he will regain 5 Ki and for the next Wis mod+1d4 turns his attacks will deal additional 1d4 lightning damage. The damage die of the spell attack is upgraded by 1d8 at lvl 7, at lvl 11, at lvl 15 and lvl 19.

Karmic wave - All opponent within a 30 ft range that are of the opposite alignment of the monk PC (Evil or Good) are hit by a visible wave of prismatic light that deals 1d6+Wis mod force damage, the damage die is upgraded by 1d6 at lvl 6, lvl 9, lvl 12, lvl 15 and lvl 18. (now you can smite with monks)
>>
>>44851562
Sure Spoony, feel free.
>>
Just food for thought. I'm currently talking with my GM about my character. The setting is Forgotten Realms and I've essentially built a demonologist. Rather than delve into evil for evil's sake, I've been aiming to use what I summon for uses other that "Fuck that guy up." so far Dretch as construction workers, helping haul around goods. The big debate though is alignment. Some say that any interaction with fiends, no matter how little or it's use is evil, while others are more judge the craftsman not the tools. I personally see the character as reimagining of King Solomon, who built a kingdom using demons, which wasn't exactly Christian, yet in the bible, God praised him for his wisdom.

What do you think?
>>
>>44854841
My general rule is that alignment is based on intent, not consequence. Because you intend to use them for good, I'd allow it. But don't expect people in the campaign world to see it that way. Also, if I were your DM, I'd be sure to give the demons a chance of breaking free, or maybe recognizing you when summoned by someone else.
>>
>>44854552
Steel hooves, teeth, and a hide that can turn swords. It's smart as a really smart dog, and perfectly willing to trample things.

Also, give it a sonic attack that deafens/damages things around it.
>>
>>44854841
>Wasn't exactly Christian

Solomon was a Jew.
>>
>>44854931
He was still praised for being a demonologist in the Christian bible though.

>>44854869
That makes sense, thank you.
>>
File: 1429659969603.gif (902KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1429659969603.gif
902KB, 500x375px
Two questions...
Ravenloft is confirmed?
and
Is the warlock class doomed to only be a two level dip?
>>
>>44855004
>Ravenloft is confirmed?
Yes, the fifth version of I6 will be coming out in a couple of months.
>>
>>44855004
Well unless they include new higher level features for the class i doub't it's ever going to be more than a lvl 2 dip.
Especially since you can go Fighter(Battlemaster) 18/Warlock 2 and get the best of both worlds.
>>
Blind to 5e. Familiar with PF. What should I know?
>>
>>44855028
OP's MEGA link has the PHB. RTFM until you understand the system. Good luck and God Speed, anon.
>>
>>44854460
Cleric with soldier background, essentially field medic, my DM tends to let me play around with medicine quite a bit. Finding out how people died, severity of injuries on allies/enemies, the ability to discern a medical from magical malady.

Oh, and surgery to remove a Slaad tadpole.
>>
>>44853821
Could be a healing bard, they get expertise too you cuck
>>
>>44855052
I downloaded the stuff and mostly understand the rules. Let me rephrase.

What should my expectations be like for the system in actual use and how should characters be played to avoid being 3.5 monk variants?
>>
>>44855028
It's the same but different. There is a heavier focus on balance. Casters still get silly at high levels. Multiclassing doesn't hurt you much, so there wont be a lot of new classes in the future, cause you can just multiclass to get what you want. Overall, numbers don't get as high.
>>
>>44855004
Well depends on if you want full optimization or just a solid character. Warlocks will never be fully optimal, the base class is just not good enough, but it is still a solid playable class that can hold it's own. It's just sad that some of the most powerful features can be grabbed at lvl 2.
>>
>>44855075
I don't really understand the last part, but scaling is different. It's generally less complicated. Feats are more powerful, and you don't get them very often. And they don't chain.
>>
>>44855075
Classes and archetypes are largely viable.4elements and beastmaster are the exceptions, both need a bit of love to work
Game is really simplified, especially in terms of character creation.
The background feature having mechanical impact is really nice for building non-stereotypical characters without just being EVIL or whatever.
Numbers in general stay relatively similar. Damage and health go up, but it avoids the DC/AC/+Hit bloat making numbers of lower level enemies a threat.
>>
>>44851377
>site needs better analytics

Agreed. The UI is terrible and not very intuitive either. Probably one of the most difficult marketplaces I've ever tried to navigate too.
>>
What do you guys think of Treantmonk's God wizard guides? Good? Bad? I've been trying to follow his example to keep my friends alive.
>>
>>44855128
It's alright.
>>
>>44855075
It's much less a game of system mastery and more a matter of applying common sense to your character concept and building from there.
>>
>>44854232
You don't need the Grappler feat to be good at grappling. Tavern Brawler is all you need really.

Ran a Conan clone once that was Barb/Rogue with tavern brawler and shield master. The character could lock down single targets very effectively with expertise Athletics and Advantage from Reckless Attack.

Bonus was that when I did attack every hit was like a Mack truck, since you can activate your own Sneak Attack every round via reckless attack or knocking something prone with Shield Master.

Culminating moment for the build was around level 9 when I grapple/dropped three ogres off the flying castle in a single round in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
>>
>>44855004

>Ravenloft is confirmed?

I mean, kinda.

I hope you weren't expecting an actual Campaign setting book.
>>
>>44853509
Are you worried about the difficulty rating specifically? I personally wouldn't. This CR system is hilariously off, every session in one of my tables (5 players, leveling up each of 4 sessions, starting at one) we have at least 1 deadly and 1 hard encounter, usually without a rest, and usually with only 2 of us even taking damage. I keep wanting to show off Fiendish Vigor but I haven't gotten a chance yet.
>>
>>44854552
What does low magic mean these days?
>>
Why come the Wizard level 18 ability is so much better than their level 20 ability?
>>
>>44845558
>in 3.5
>have build character that moves at like mach 5
>no bonuses to attack or damage, no bonuses to AC (in fact penalties because I didn't have run feat)
>same in 4e though I couldn't move that fast
>same in 5e though I can't move that fast
>>
Can a simulacra heal itself via the alchemical process described?
>>
If a Barbarian is polymorphed while raging will he still be raging in his new form?

Sage Advice states that you can still concentrate on spells while polymorphed but I don't know if an effect like Rage would interact differently.
>>
>>44855671
I would say yes
>>
>>44855707
What if he's polymorphed into something incapable of feeling rage? Like a golem?
>>
>>44855547
because they did not properly think through how good the lvl 18 ability could be. they just thought higher spell lvl better than lower spell lvl.
>>
>>44855715

If you're using True Polymorph then he retains his own mind anyway, normal polymorph can only transform into animals
>>
>>44855671
Can you wildshape while raging, for raging animal forms via barb dip?
>>
>>44855715
When you polymorph you don't lose your personality and metal stats as far as I know
>>
>>44855715
Polymorph doesn't affect you mentally. Rage is a mental effect
>>
>>44855707

What about his Unarmored defense ability?

Would you say it applies in all cases or only if the beast he's transformed into doesn't have the "(Natural Armor)" tag or would it not apply at all?

>>44855742

>Polymorph doesn't affect you mentally

Well, it kinda does, for the level 4 Polymorph spell you gain the mental attributes of whatever you're transformed into while still generally retaining your personality.
If it COULD transform you into a creature without an Int score then you wouldn't have an int score either.
>>
File: tumblr_nsp1peCkhu1usv7xpo1_500.png (162KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsp1peCkhu1usv7xpo1_500.png
162KB, 500x276px
>>44855671
I'd say yes as well.
>>
File: 1393844334217.jpg (115KB, 600x807px) Image search: [Google]
1393844334217.jpg
115KB, 600x807px
So, whats a fun class to play level 10 and onwards?

My Cleric just ditched his party because of disagreements, and I need a new character to play.
>>
>>44855875

Just pick a spellcaster out of the hat.

They're the ones with the most later game toys by a far margin.
>>
File: 1393840745228.jpg (218KB, 640x577px) Image search: [Google]
1393840745228.jpg
218KB, 640x577px
>>44855908
I definitely wanted a spellcaster. I just can't decide between Sorcerer, Wizard, or Druid.
>>
>>44855922

Conjurer Wizard then, that's my favorite.
>>
>>44855922
I've been having good fun as an Illusion wizard. Been controlling lots of fights and good shits and giggles out of them as well.
>>
>>44855922
I would personally say dragon sorcerer but abjuration wizard deep gnome with the racial feat is quite impressive too.

though desu I would make a necromancer wizard if I were you because ive been itchin to play one for some time now.
>>
>>44854839
Okay. So Darklords, the rulers of the various domains of the Demiplane of Dread. The average one is evil, like have my own grandfather "accidentally" fall on my knife 39 times in a paranoid bid for power and fit if jealousy and still think I did the right thing evil. Basically the Dark Powers give these souls power, but with a caveat, they're always for lack of a better term punished. They get redemption and escape dangled on a string inches away, but by their unrepentant nature refuse to actually take it. Note this only applies to non-deities.

So far there have only been two escapees, Lord Soth and Vecna. Lord Soth bored the DPs because he wasn't playing their, look at the carrot game (and some shit back here in the real world). Vecna on the other hand went with becoming a deity, in essence cheating to leave.

So in short, they're evil, unrepentant playthings of shadowy, dark versions of the Lady of Pain who happen to make life in the Demiplane hell for normal people.
>>
>>44856213
Also, the Darklords are almost indestructible.
>>
>>44855075
Not getting the latter part, but think of it as a more forgiving 2e, or 3e not made by tourneyfag Magic players with priapism towards magic chuckers.
>>
>>44856233

Even if they were destroyed the Dark Powers would just remake them.
>>
>>44843295

Running a maritime campaign, WotC had no rules for armor and swimming, wanted to come up with my own. Rough draft, help me tweak it familia.
Light Armor: Swim speed is decreased by 5. Any Armor that causes disadvantage to stealth also causes disadvantage to checks related to swimming.

Medium Armor: Swim speed is decreased by 10. Any Armor that causes disadvantage to stealth also causes disadvantage to checks related to swimming.

Heavy Armor: Swim speed is decreased by 15. A DC 11 check must be made every movement to stay above water or sink 5 feet. Any Armor that causes disadvantage to stealth also causes disadvantage to checks related to swimming.

Every round spent underwater wearing medium or heavy armor requires a DC 5 check to maintain your equipment. If the throw is failed the adventurer will lose one item at random.
Bow Ranges Underwater:
Short Bow: 10ft/30ft
Long Bow: 20ft/50ft

Hand Crossbow: 50ft/80ft
Heavy Crossbow: 80ft/120ft

Spear: 5ft + 5ftxSTR Modifier
Dart: 5ft + 5ftxDEX Modifier

When shooting INTO the water, all normal ranges are halved.
>>
>>44856256
Some of them have been permanently removed, such as Duke Gundar.
>>
>>44843535

Swashbuckler Rogue is specifically built for dual wielding.
>>
>>44843566

Salty pls go
>>
>>44856233
I thought I made it clear that there's only two real escapes for them. Cheat because gods don't have to be repentant, or go, "okay, yeah that was fucked up" and bore the Dark Powers... Cancel that, just bore those faggots, they'll let you die, and give your curse to your killer.
>>
>>44844532
>Given that the last time WotC did an adventure based on Ravenloft back in 3e, and their seeming 1e mindset when it comes to campaign worlds, we're getting Greyhawk Ravenloft.
I'd doubt it. If they don't have the players start in FR initially, how're they gonna tie it in to the Neverwinter MMO, or the Adventurer's League?

Face it, 5e's gonna die out before we get anything that's not Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>44856426
Oh they can place it in Aber-Toril, I just use Greyhawk in this case to mean shit like every other iteration (I6, Castle Ravenloft for 3.5) basically, you're getting a plug and play adventure, not the Demiplane.

Also
>Wanting setting bloat
>wanting untested splats
>wanting the worst if 2&3e
>>
>>44856505
>>setting bloat
>more settings is bad
>>
>>44846149
Cecil is turning in hell right now.
>>
>>44856518
>I never played during 2e with its toss away settings.
Hey remember Red Steel? How about Jakandor? Mystara? Oh I know, Maztica.
>>
>>44856548
>Mystara was a 2e toss-away setting
Ha.

I remember all of those.
>>
>>44849403
When you get your hands on the module, read the shit out of it and plan every adventure, daily encounter and other shit before playing.
Make reference tables for yourself.
Dont be lazy and be organized.
>>
>>44850902
Whats your title?
Mind sharing tip
>>
>>44856505

>>wanting untested splats

The only thing untested about 3.5 was the fucking Core books.

The splats were much more carefully written and balanced.
>>
DM is being cool as hell and letting me smite with ranged weapons instead of melee. I'm level 1, and every encounter is going to be in the deadly xp range, how do I capitalize on this?
>>
>>44843535

Paladin is the best two-weapon fighter desu
>>
>>44856666
>level 1
>all combats in deadly range
Have 3 identical character sheets ready to go
>>
>>44856703
Meh, we keep making it to lvl 3 and starting over, I haven't lost a dude yet, patience, planning, and starting at long bow range no matter what my optimal slogging weapon is. That said, other than sharpshooter I don't know what to do with this opportunity
>>
>>44844004
The Grappler feat allows you to do this, except the restrained condition can't be broken unless the restrainer allows it.
>>
>>44856557
>less supplements for a full fledged setting than any other
>Have to convert BECMI to 1e, then 2e to actually utilize anything on the actual world.

Like I said they're taking a 1e approach to this.

>>44856609
CW Samurai, True Namer and half of Complete Psionic would like to discuss, "play tested" thoroughly with you, well, if they could do shit.
>>
>>44856561

>>44849491

thanks guys
>>
>>44856744
>BECMI to 1e, then 2e
RC has direct-conversion rules to 2e.
>>
>>44856744
>>less supplements for a full fledged setting than any other
But that's not right.
>>
>>44856771
Full fledged, if you're going by straight made in 2e, and not a subset (like Al Qadim, or Maztica) of another world...
>>
>>44856846
Spelljammer: 19 products in total
Mystara: 16 2e products, and at least 50 Basic products (I can't remember exactly which Basic products are Mystara, and which ones are generic, but I know that at least 50 of them are.)
>>
>>44856870
Wasn't counting basic, since by the logic of you can convert, we have just about every one since Blackmoor.
>>
What's a good race for a moon druid? And why is there no race that gives +2 WIS when there's a race that gives +2 for every other ability? I've only played a human wizard so far, so I'm still pretty new.
>>
>>44856901
Alright then.
Lankhmar: 14 products in total.
>>
>>44856933
If you're going onion druid, I dunno, maybe hill dwarf to be just a little bit more unkillable.
>>
>>44856744

>CW Samurai, True Namer and half of Complete Psionic would like to discuss, "play tested" thoroughly with you, well, if they could do shit.

Point is that the actual ratio of shitty broken content to decent usable content is much further into the "Decent and usable" camp in the splats, where as all but a few of the character classes in the core book are either utter shit or way too strong.
>>
>group sorcerer threatens to play a 6-personalitied chaotic neutral wild mage if his character dies
>he is now effectively immortal because no one wants to deal with that shit
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (33KB, 574x430px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
33KB, 574x430px
>>44856998
>>
>>44856998
You guys deserve it if even your GM is bending over to such stupid threat.
>>
>>44857023
Inside out.jpg
>>
>>44856998
"Rocks fall, you die" exist.
>>
>>44856998
Does he not understand the DM can veto characters?
>>
So my group suffered a TPK, need to bring a new level 5 character to the table next week. What are some interesting builds to consider?

My last character was a rogue, and I'm trying to talk myself out of playing another one.
>>
>>44853038
You'd permanently be a spell level behind everyone else for the sake of having pew pew lasers, which get old kind of quickly, but hey, if you want to.

And don't worry about languages/telepathy. You're a bard. If it ever actually comes up, which it very well might not, you can cast Comprehend Languages.
>>
>>44857136

>5e
>"Builds"
>>
>>44857136
a barbarian who uses a shield and does not attack recklessly all the time, making him supremely hard to kill. Sentinel to make him sticky.
>>
>>44857136
Variant Human Sun monk with magic initiate for Sacred fire, sanctuary and spare the dying from the clerics spell list.
>>
>>44845560
Isn't open hands supposed to be basically what you are thinking of with the 3rd one?
>>
>>44851006
Put that shit into savings son! Shit will add up quickly.
>>
>>44856939
Got me there. Then again they lost the rights to a better system.
>>
>>44857287
What?
>>
>>44857171
Seriously it's almost a joke in this edition. What's next tiers?
>>
>>44857296
TSR. They lost the rights to make a Nehwon/Lankhmar setting to I forget if it was Chaosium or ICE.
>>
>>44857345
>ICE
>better system
Right.
>>
>>44857356
For Lankhmar it was. It was harder to make shit like Sheelbah or even Mouser in 1e.
>>
>>44857406
Fafhrd and Mouser both have stats in 1e.
>>
>>44857424
Yes, I am aware, I owned the book, but they really didn't capture Mouser's life before the first meeting, and Fafhrd having some problems. ICE just ended up working better.
>>
>>44857462
It wasn't ICE, it was Mongoose, who released it for Mongoose RQ.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/return-ravenloft

The official announcement
>>
>>44856580
Make it balanced and pretty. Use the homebrew formatting guide in the OP links.
>>
>>44857960
Retread of I6 with some other shit like Tarokka confirmed. At least it's a literal retread.
>>
File: D&D_Ravenloft_YouTube-Header.jpg (1019KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Ravenloft_YouTube-Header.jpg
1019KB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>44857960
That sounds pretty nifty! I wonder what level range it will be.
>>
>>44858502
It says 1 through 10.
>>
>>44858555
Whoops, so it did.

I'm looking forward to this. I like the idea of running a Scooby Doo kind of campaign.
>>
>>44858720
"Jinkies! Now let's see who this Beast of Barovia really is..."

"Old Man Zarovich!"
>>
File: 1264969195892.jpg (31KB, 526x300px) Image search: [Google]
1264969195892.jpg
31KB, 526x300px
>post about my Ravenloft campaign on 5e generals all the time

>no one gives a fuck or replies

>now wizards is releasing Curse of Strahd, everyone talking about it

The salt is real. Fuck you guys.
>>
>>44859146

Teehee
>>
>>44859146
Just repost them then you hipster fuck, we know you have them saved.
>>
>>44859247

going to work now but will later
>>
>>44858880
And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling adventurers and your pesky animal companion.
>>
>>44855474
lol my thoughts exactly
>>
>>44856296
I think you got the ranged weapons reduction of distance just about right.
Also I'm assuming you mean Light Crossbow where it reads "Hand Crossbow".

The armor speed reductions sound alright, too.
Guessing that Heavy armor DC11 is a Strength or Athletics or Acrobatics check.

Need more detail regarding losing one item at random. Is it absolutely ANYTHING on your person that can be lost? Or is it limited to "You're flailing about, trying to stay afloat. Your moment of scrambling causes you to drop the weapon in your hand."
I think it's a little excessive as it is. Anything secured to your person like a weapon in the sheath or stuff in a tied up pack should be safe from this condition. And the 25% chance (assuming that DC5 is generic and not based on a stat) of dropping your weapon/shield/whatever every six seconds is pretty severe, many martial classes will be getting disarmed quite a bit.
Suggesting this could be nixed or altered to being more conditional rather than happening every round.

Will there be any equipment that could improve swimming and mitigate those difficulty checks?
A knight in flippers and arm floaties.
>>
>>44859293
Nice one, I do love a good campaign highlights post desu
>>
>>44855474
>>44859381
Low-magic = Dark Sun
High-magic = Eberron
>>
>>44859495
so low magic includes high order magic such as wishes, battle donkeys, etc?
>>
>>44859517
Yes they can as long as those things are extremely rare.
>>
File: 1447556245453.jpg (42KB, 473x603px) Image search: [Google]
1447556245453.jpg
42KB, 473x603px
Are the new Player's Handbooks more durable than the last batch? The binding on mine finally gave up its ghost, and I know there was a later version because my brother's has the errata printed in it. So anyone hear anything about the binding on later printings?
>>
>>44859884
idk i only have scans i didnt spend money on that garbage
>>
>>44859884
I haven't seen any complaints about later prints, just the initial run of the core books. I bought Out of the Abyss and it has a superb binding.
>>
How does water combat work when you aren't a creature meant to fight underwater?
>>
File: underwater combat.png (326KB, 367x350px) Image search: [Google]
underwater combat.png
326KB, 367x350px
>>44860027
PHB pg 198.
>>
>>44860043
I must have glossed over that very specific line that I needed about needing a natural swim speed.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.