[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 38

File: -.jpg (282KB, 1920x1357px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
282KB, 1920x1357px
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Min-Max edition! Storytellers, do you dislike when your players minmax? Players do you minmax?

I just had my first player to not min-max in some regard hand me his sheet. I'm so excited for this game /tg/.
>>
Reminder that morke and holden are liars
>>
>do you dislike when your players minmax?

Trying to be better at what you do is a perfectly rational aspiration. The greatest invention of mankind, from spaceflight to the Internet is built on this yearning. Min-maxing is not only ok, but I respect deeply people who do it.
>>
>>44829249
>Players do you minmax?
One of the first things I heard about the game is that you just gotta do it. And I have been, but I honestly out my character together in a hurry and made some dumb choices, so I think it really balances out.
>>
>>44829249
>Storytellers, do you dislike when your players minmax?
Yes, if they do it to the "5/5/1, 5/3/1, 5/1/1" attributes way, because having someone be THAT below average in that many areas is an issue.
As far as abilities go, though, I'm fine with it. Hell, my usual method for making my characters when I play is 4/4/3, 3/3/3, 3/2/2, and then 3 points in all but 1 of my caste/favored abilities, with one of them only having 1 point(and most of my favored abilities being raised to 5 with BP)
>>
File: image.jpg (234KB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234KB, 780x1000px
So I'm making a Zenith for a 2nd edition game right now, and I'm trying to figure out what charms to take and what charms not to take. I'm playing a Martial Artist character with a pair of Smashfists, so I invested pretty heavily in Solar Hero's charm tree, but now I'm wondering what charms I should pick up in the Melee tree. I've also invested pretty heavily in Resistance, planning to grab Adamant Skin Technique over Heavenly Guardian Defense. Is Essence-Gathering Temper worth it, and can I use charms like Adamant Skin Technique or Iron Skin Concentration to negate the damage but grab the notes from Essence-Gathering Temper? Finally, are Battle Fury Focus and Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit worth getting, or should I just skip those in favor of other charms?

For reference, I've bought Essence 3 with my BP, and the game I'm joining has already been going for a bit, so I have 40 XP to spend after chargen.

Oh yeah, also, is Red Rage of Compassion as awesome as it looks? I'm stuck between taking Compassionate Martyrdom or Red Rage of Compassion right now, and while Compassionate Martyrdom is less likely to get someone in the party or something important to them hurt, Red Rage of Compassion looks like it could lead to some fun Asura's Wrath situations.
>>
File: cd3.jpg (23KB, 467x325px) Image search: [Google]
cd3.jpg
23KB, 467x325px
>>44832237
>2nd edition
>>
>>44829249
So, has anyone actually read that thing Onyx Path put out last week? Does it do anything interesting to the fluff? Is it worth spending bucks on?
>>
>>44832356
>that thing Onyx Path put out last week

que?
>>
>>44832356
>>44832372

He's talking about the Fiction Anthology, and no, it's not worth it; not on a blind purchase anyway.

Like any other licensed RPG fiction, it's written by people who know about 10% of the setting, 0% of the rules, and just assumed Exalted was a bog-standard fantasy RPG.

There's some good stuff in there that it's worth pirating for to see if they fit your taste, but the 3-4 bad stories are real fuckin' howlers (DOUBLE EXALT; actually what's funny is this isn't even unique, there's a Vampire novel where the same shit happened; a guy was Embraced by two Clans at once and this was treated as totally normal, as opposed to FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE).
>>
>>44832395
>He's talking about the Fiction Anthology

That came out yonks ago.
>>
>>44832414

It came out to BACKERS yonks ago. It didn't go on for-real sale until recently.
>>
>>44832395
>DOUBLE EXALT
Okay, yeah. Time to forget that shit exists. I'll re-read RotSE before I'll touch that shit.

I will never re-read RotSE.
>>
>>44832420
So since Double Exalt is still there, I assume Twilight Solar who is somehow broke and struggling to keep the lights on is still there?

Goddamn these people are retarded
>>
>>44832275
They haven't made the transition to 3rd yet. Remember, 3rd is still incomplete. Charm trees aren't finished, and it doesn't have any stats for non-solar exalts yet.
>>
>>44832460

I'll admit I don't know what, if anything, changed between the two versions, but I doubt they jettisoned two whole stories over muh canon, considering the stuff WW has published in the past (see: Double Vampire earlier).
>>
>>44832483

>Charm trees aren't finished

They are done. Solars are a complete package. All they are changing are spelling errors and layout issues like the fog shark thing.
>>
>>44832483
Let's be honest with ourselves here. We're not going to be playing non-solars in 3e until next decade sometime.
>>
>>44832507
>exalted is going to get anything besides Arms of The Chosen

And if that wasn't already halfway done Paradox would have cut that too
>>
>>44832483
>They haven't made the transition to 3rd yet.
Then their ST and/or group is inflicting suffering on themselves for no reason.

>Remember, 3rd is still incomplete. Charm trees aren't finished,
How can you know enough about 3e to bitch about "MUH ESS 4 WAR CHARMS" but still be this retarded.

>and it doesn't have any stats for non-solar exalts yet.
Fucking so? It's literally more worth it to homebrew non-Solars into 3e than to go back to 2e just for those fuckos. It's not like the non-Solar books in 2E were actually usable to begin with, so you're already engineering an entire book together to get them up to "kinda playable."
>>
File: 1428905310821.jpg (38KB, 382x400px) Image search: [Google]
1428905310821.jpg
38KB, 382x400px
>>44832458
You know, as much as I think the metaplot portions of RotSE should burn in hellfire, I rather love that it went into detail about some places not covered by the other books. Places like the Opal Spire, and the massive reality engine complex beneath Gethemane.
>>
>>44832519
You know what, I'm just not going to argue with you any further on this, because it's clear that you're either a troll that likes to start meaningless arguments, or you're just in a really bad mood.
>>44832504
Are they? I was under the impression that some of the charm trees still weren't complete, like War. Though then again, I've mostly been messing with Dawn ability charms in 3rd edition, so maybe I just assumed that because War was incomplete.
>>44832507
Have faith anon! Surely, we'll find out what the fuck these new exalt types are soon as well. Hopefully.

Anyways, still do need help with my original question.
>>
>>44832721
>MUH ESS 4 WAR CHARMS

You know what I noticed? Literally nobody is talking about Dodge, Survival, or any of the other trees that are thin for E4/5 Charms.

Wonder why that is. Could it be because the complaint is bullshit? Founded not in actual play experience (where E3 Charms are all you actually care about) but in the spergatronic need for numerical parity?
>>
>>44832460
>I assume Twilight Solar who is somehow broke and struggling to keep the lights on is still there?

IIRC, Swan had that issue in one of the official published story. Of course it was mostly because he wanted to keep himself low in a DB infested society, and he was never really poor - he just paid attention to his expenses.

The official books are not a model either. I remember the story about the villainous drug that enslaved every DB in the future (remember kids, drug abuse enslaves your Fire aspect, don't do drugs).
>>
>>44832721

>Are they? I was under the impression that some of the charm trees still weren't complete, like War.

War is complete. It just has no high essence charms.
>>
>>44832795
>>IIRC, Swan had that issue in one of the official published story.

This Twilight in the story was in a bizarre version of the first age where Solars were plentiful but also shat upon
>>
File: c25741934828077f974a1fa699dda0e1.jpg (805KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
c25741934828077f974a1fa699dda0e1.jpg
805KB, 1920x1200px
>>44832809
>where Solars were plentiful but also shat upon
Well, if there is several million Solars in your story, of course some will have difficulty to get by. Perfectly logical and rational, see?
>>
>>44829249
>Min-Max edition! Storytellers, do you dislike when your players minmax?
Yeah, I really hate it. Taking 5s is cool because the Exalts are supposed to be pretty awesome people, but the other side of minmaxing, being distinctly below-average in several respects, is both dumb and inappropriate.
>>
>>44830744
>5/5/1, 5/3/1, 5/1/1

Serious question time:

Would /tg/ allow a person to buy attribute points in play as if they had minmaxed, regardless of whether they actually minmaxed or not?

For instance, lets say a character goes 2/3/2 instead of 1/5/1 for physical stats, and then wants to increase their Dexterity. If they'd started with 1/4/2, then increasing to 2/4/2 would cost them 4xp. Would you let them pay just 4xp to go from 2/3/2 to 2/4/2? They could then pay 4xp to get to 2/5/2, and then they've caught up with the cheap stat boosts of a minmaxer's tertiary attributes.

Similarly, both 3/5/3 and 5/5/1 get to go to 5/5/3 for just 12xp. 3/3/3 and 5/3/1 also get to buy 5/3/3 for 12xp each. (Slight weirdness, the non-minmaxer spends 8xp first, then 4xp.)

If that was allowed, then there'd be no reason for people to give themselves 1s that don't fit their character concepts. Isn't that the problem?

It's a little extra bookkeeping, but this bookkeeping can be done after play starts rather than front-loading it.
>>
>>44833912
flat xp costs solve a lot of problems anon
>>
>>44833912
There's a lot of xp/bp house rules to make character creation the same as in-game advancement.
That mostly solves the issue of it being incentivized to start narrowly focused before widening their skillset in play.
If we use those systems, it'd be much easier for people to start with 2/3/2 and increase to 2/5/2 in play.
>>
>>44830744
1 is only slightly below average.
>>
>>44832237
>buying Essence 3 with BP
Dude, that's just 16 xp. Burning 7 BP is on it is just a terrible idea.
>>
Has anyone actually tried playing a character with more than one martial art?
>>
>>44835737
I plan to, why?
Do you think the core costs are too steep?
>>
>>44835737
I'd be interested in doing this, but I think you need to pick the MAs carefully with regard to Forms. Only one at a time, so you're paying an opportunity cost if they're not clearly situational.
>>
>>44836296
On that note, Tiger and Ebon Shadow Style look like they work well together. Tiger Form improves your withering attacks, ES Form improves your stealth attempts, and both can be activated reflexively with some convenient triggers. They both use unarmed and claws as form weapons, which is nice and convenient, and they both synergise with Stealth.

Side note: I hadn't spotted this rule before now.

a character can only have one Form
Charm active at a time—activating a new one during the
same scene ends the old one. However, when this happens,
all motes committed to the previous Form Charm are
counted towards the cost of the new Form, requiring
that the martial artist pay only the difference.

ESF is 8 motes, and Tiger Form is 10.
>>
Is it better to stack up a huge chunk of initiative and go for that 1 hit kill, or is it better to whittle away at someone's health levels with smaller attacks?
>>
>>44836541

Against mortals or people with average health pools (7 levels) you can probably just go in for the kill. Otherwise you'll probably just end up whittling them down due to their defences. Besides, every health level marked off adds a dice penalty anyway.
>>
>>44836541
Depends a lot on who you're fighting, how intelligent your GM is playing them, and your charms and such. But in general, when you launch a decisive attack and reset to base initiative you make yourself vulnerable to initiative crash unless the guy you hit with that decisive isn't in a position to attack you in response.

Against that, if you're fighting an opponent and trading initiative rather than reliably banking it, you might be better off actually dealing a bit of damage, resetting your initiative, then actually dealing some damage again.

But seriously, actual combat is a lot more complicated than this. A Dawn resets to a higher initiative. A Zenith gets to keep his initiative once a day. A stealthy character can bank initiative from hiding. There are gambits that require initiative but don't take it all away on a success. And there are so many charms.
>>
>>44835899
It's a ton of investment, but it looks like the synergies could be a lot of fun. I'm playing a Brawler in my game and no one has gone into MA so I was interested in how it played out in actual combat.
>>
Where can I find portraits and character art for female Immaculate monks?
>>
File: Air Aspect.jpg (123KB, 700x969px) Image search: [Google]
Air Aspect.jpg
123KB, 700x969px
>>44839535
Here; you just need to ask. Got a particular Aspect in mind?
>>
File: female bored gold jewelry.png (252KB, 571x616px) Image search: [Google]
female bored gold jewelry.png
252KB, 571x616px
>>44839535
>>
File: oplalmaybe.jpg (525KB, 750x1061px) Image search: [Google]
oplalmaybe.jpg
525KB, 750x1061px
>>44839626
>>
File: black jade.jpg (99KB, 681x1172px) Image search: [Google]
black jade.jpg
99KB, 681x1172px
>>44839596
>>
>>44839646
>>
File: fire caste.jpg (221KB, 1236x1020px) Image search: [Google]
fire caste.jpg
221KB, 1236x1020px
>>44839648
>>
>>44839669
>>
>>44839688
Well that was quick, looks like I'm out of pictures.
>>
File: 1402101977400.jpg (154KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1402101977400.jpg
154KB, 707x1000px
>>44839535
>>
You got anything for a male fire-aspect warlord? The more tyrannical, the better.
One of my players used Lore to introduce this guy as a person that exists, and I want him to have a picture by the time they meet him.
>>
>>44836754
A solidly build MA character turns into an unstoppable rape engine--Single Point Style is amazing. However, the costs, in terms of both motes and exp almost make it not worth it. The best investment you can make with MA is in something that sheds anima levels--because you're going to be flirting with Bonfire every time you need to push a little.
>>
>>44839596
>Got a particular Aspect in mind?
No, but generally humble-looking, preferably wearing a straw hat.
>>
File: Fire case warrior.jpg (487KB, 2048x3086px) Image search: [Google]
Fire case warrior.jpg
487KB, 2048x3086px
>>44839835
I think this is a male.
>>
>>44839999
Nah man, that's Minerva from Fire Emblem. Quite female.

Nice quads, though.
>>
File: sidereal_by_taziobettin-d70icv9.jpg (663KB, 651x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sidereal_by_taziobettin-d70icv9.jpg
663KB, 651x1000px
>>44839966
Monks and straw hats are, I think, different aesthetics.
>>
>>44839835
Dunno if this fits what you're looking for but it's the most fire aspect male I've got.
>>
File: 1435346914137.png (699KB, 500x878px) Image search: [Google]
1435346914137.png
699KB, 500x878px
>>44840030
Looking through my folder, I have mostly female fire aspects. This one doesn't have a bust, I suppose.
>>
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/810729-less-gendered-terminology-of-creation

lol
>>
File: 1b2e13babe47485be3966642522e3359.jpg (104KB, 641x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1b2e13babe47485be3966642522e3359.jpg
104KB, 641x1000px
>>44839835
Oh I also found this one. Though it's more barbaric than warlord mayhaps.
>>
>>44840072

The best part of that one is that Prince, as Creation uses it, is short for PrincePS, as in "the first," and it exists in a declension which is the same for all three genders (m / f / n), so it's not a gendered term at all.

This is also why, y'know, they use "Prince" to refer to the people who are at THE FUCKING TOP.
>>
The prevailing opinion seems to be that 3e is superior to 2e. What makes it better? And where does 1e rank?
>>
>>44832721
They are inserting the custom backer charms.
>>
>>44840222

They're not being put into the main Charmset. Backer Charms are being published as a separate pamphlet, iirc.

>>44840175
>What makes it better?
Literally everything. Combat functions and is fun, the Charmset isn't total ass where every Dodge Solar looks the fucking same and all problems aren't solved by "pay motes to crudely and texturelessly demolish this obstacle", social influence functions and is fun, Sorcery functions and is almost TOO much fun, Crafting is polarizing; basically everyone I've heard use it in actual play has a better opinion of it than those who jerk off on imageboards, but still.

>And where does 1e rank?
Depending on which splats you play, somewhere slightly above or below 2e.
>>
>>44840175
>What makes it better?

The combat system functions as intended, rather than functioning to slow down the game dramatically as you try to wear down your enemy's mana-pool before your own disappears.

The social system works more like an actual debate or conversation rather than brainwashing with a pile of dice.

A day when the 2E core was released, the thread title on rpg.net was "you will do nothing but use perfects" while 3E honestly doesn't have any issues where a single charm breaks the entire system over its knee.

I mean, Craft is still grindy but it's not bad. That's the worst I can say about it as long as they don't write more Solar charms in later books (there are lots and lots of charms)

I haven't played 1E, but from what I heard it had issues of its own, especially when you brought in stuff like Power Combat.
>>
>>44840301
>>44840328

Thanks for the answers. The main thing I didn't like about Exalted before was the WHAT THE FUCK huge dice pools you were sometimes dealing with. is that still a thing in 3e?

Also, how do the various Savage Worlds conversions for Exalted compare to the actual game?
>>
>>44840399

Dicepools can be use still yes, a full excellency with a light weapon and level 1 stunt can be 28 dice.

I just use automatic dice rollers for my games these days anywho.
>>
>>44840399
>The main thing I didn't like about Exalted before was the WHAT THE FUCK huge dice pools you were sometimes dealing with. is that still a thing in 3e?
They're around, but less common now that you can't keep your Excellency on at full strength for the entire scene.

The highest "resting" dicepool is something like 15 or 16 dice, and that spikes up to 23-25 on people's mega attacks.

>Also, how do the various Savage Worlds conversions for Exalted compare to the actual game?
As with pretty much every other attempt to port Exalted into other, lighter systems, they sacrifice a lot of detail and thematic specific to Exalted to go for a more generic epic-fantasy vibe. Which, if that's all you care about, works great, but has never been palatable for me.

That's biased, of course, because if it WERE palatable, I would've dropped the game in 2e and never looked back.
>>
>>44840051
That'll do, thanks.
>>
So, how do you guys have 3e already?
>>
>>44840496

The backer PDF went out a while ago. It's not the final "for real" sale version, but it's pretty close.
>>
>>44832721
>He disagrees with me
>I'll call him a troll!
You're a nigger. Go back to your tumblr hugbox where you can delete comments.
>>
File: Nataman.jpg (340KB, 945x1215px) Image search: [Google]
Nataman.jpg
340KB, 945x1215px
>>44839835
>>
>>44840143
Dumb SJWs who didn't pass English in high school don't realize that "he" is a gender neutral word when referring to a person of unknown gender.
>>
>>44840436
http://www.miketilly.com/exalted/diceroller.html

I like that one.
>>
>>44840328
>I mean, Craft is still grindy but it's not bad.
So this one player thinks Craft is "not bad", even after this thread repeatedly showed how it's fucking horrible, and how Morke/Holden specifically made it bloated because they hate Crafting systems and had a childish grudge from 2e.
>>
>>44840711
I like some of the ideas in there though...
>>
>>44840711

Some people love spreadsheeting in Eve anon. I am not defending him as I hate Craft too but there are people like that.
>>
>>44840711
>even after this thread repeatedly showed how it's fucking horrible

Literally every actual post of play experience instead of thought-experiment shrieking about 'MUH NUMBERS' and 'MUH SANTA CLAUS SHRIKES' has been "Eh. S'not bad."
>>
>>44840904

No. I have seen a few posts where people quit Craft upon starting it. And one of my players actually did. None of the other people on the table will touch it. Working on house ruling it if this game ends and we do another 3e game. But the player already moved to lore as Supernal and refunded all of his dots and we just pretended it never happened.
>>
>>44840711

>your opinion is wrong! YOU HAVING FUN IN CRAFTING IS WRONG!

Anon I think the craft system needs work too, but you're saying that people who are enjoying the craft system (as few as they are) are wrong, then god help you.
>>
>>44840949
>>44840904
It's a lot easier to see how it clearly is polarizing instead of just plain bad when you look at other places discussing Craft. There's a lot of people who genuinely enjoy that particular subsystem. There's a lot of people who despise it.

Shit happens. Best you can do is just let everyone have what they like, and not be a douchebag like >>44840711.
>>
Anybody got art for an Earth or Air aspect? Genders don't particularly matter, all I got is that they're the generals working under the guy I mentioned >>44839835
>>
Anyone got a MILF wood aspect?
>>
>>44842923
>>
File: Ejava.jpg (517KB, 687x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ejava.jpg
517KB, 687x1000px
>>44842923
>>
File: 1387405291437.jpg (874KB, 960x1264px) Image search: [Google]
1387405291437.jpg
874KB, 960x1264px
>>44842898
Earth
>>
>>44843734
>>44843917
sweet, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1447352925018.jpg (127KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
1447352925018.jpg
127KB, 700x933px
>>44842898
>>
File: 1435354082704.jpg (84KB, 600x858px) Image search: [Google]
1435354082704.jpg
84KB, 600x858px
>>44845125
>>
File: 1435353701248.jpg (98KB, 595x964px) Image search: [Google]
1435353701248.jpg
98KB, 595x964px
>>44845158
>>
File: Solar with glowing sword.jpg (478KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Solar with glowing sword.jpg
478KB, 500x750px
>>44845186
blue jade sword
>>
File: bronze smith.jpg (329KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
bronze smith.jpg
329KB, 700x512px
>>44845211
Don't have a lot of Earth stuff, actually.
>>
>>44832458
>>44832395
I thought the Bee story was pretty cool. Not 100% exalted but a fun read.
>>
>>44832518
Has paradox actually officially sliced things out of the line now?
>>
>>44840056
That's sexy Sauron. Technically male.
>>
>>44846198
No, he's just a paranoid and/or fear-mongering idiot.

>>44839626
>>44845158
Ended up using these, for the Air and Earth, respectively.
>>
whatever happened to the person that was homebrewing playable spirits?
>>
>>44846321
>Air and Earth, respectively.
Fuck, forget the 'respectively' part of that; the Air is the ice dude, the Earth is the chick
>>
>>44840442

>As with pretty much every other attempt to port Exalted into other, lighter systems, they sacrifice a lot of detail and thematic specific to Exalted to go for a more generic epic-fantasy vibe. Which, if that's all you care about, works great, but has never been palatable for me.

>That's biased, of course, because if it WERE palatable, I would've dropped the game in 2e and never looked back.

The 3.5e conversion of Exalted was pretty good.
>>
>>44848263
The what now?
>>
>>44848334

I think he's talking about the Exalted Epic Destinies, which where 3.5e taking a 4e mechanic (Epic Destinies) and trying to write up shit like 'Dawn Caste' as one.
>>
>>44848364
Aaaah. So it's bait.
>>
I have a question about intimacies, one that largely transcends editions. Most Solars and Lunars have to pack up and leave their homes when they Exalt in order to stay ahead of the Wyld Hunt, right? What sort of intimacies does someone who's left home never to return have? There's not much sense, as a player as least, to have strong intimacies for friends, coworkers, places or relatives you're guaranteed to never see again.
>>
>>44849678
>Most Solars and Lunars have to pack up and leave their homes when they Exalt in order to stay ahead of the Wyld Hunt, right?
Not really. Maybe in an extreme long-term sense, or if their Exaltation itself garnered the attention of the Immaculate Faith right away, but a Solar who Exalts out in the boonies of the Threshold can probably stay there for decades before anyone comes looking, and whoops by then he's turned the whole place into his fetishzoo.

>What sort of intimacies does someone who's left home never to return have?
They're still a huge part of his emotional make-up, dawg. Maybe he pines for home, or he's happy to never see that ratty place again, or he still has a sense of loyalty to his people, affection for his mother, or adopts one of his father's principle beliefs as his own, etc.

>There's not much sense, as a player as least, to have strong intimacies for friends, coworkers, places or relatives you're guaranteed to never see again.
Guaranteed is an awful strong word. What's the Solar gonna do if he catches word there's an undead plague heading that way? Or even, y'know, just go back there after some time; it's not like the Wyld Hunt can afford to have monks stationed at every po-dunk village that an Anathema MIGHT return to.
>>
>>44849903
Fair points, especially the last, but I still feel there are some major problems with sticking around.

The IO has successfully convinced most of Creation that anyone who Exalts as a Celestial is a soulless demon, and the person they were before is literally gone forever. How/why would someone stay, when all their friends shun him and tattle on him to the satrap or whoever?
>>
>>44850280
>The IO has successfully convinced most of Creation that anyone who Exalts as a Celestial is a soulless demon, and the person they were before is literally gone forever.
No, they've convinced everyone who follows the Immaculate Order that Celestials made deals with/are possessed by demons, and the only way to save them is to kill them.
Anybody outside the Realm and it's Satrapies, however, doesn't believe them to be demons. Just super-powerful people with a habit of completely fucking shit up, and thus still a force to be reckoned with and feared.
>How/why would someone stay, when all their friends shun him and tattle on him to the satrap or whoever?
Generally, if you exalt in the presence of a friend, they're gonna realize 'wait a second he just exalted and saved my life clearly he's a good guy!' or something like that. If you don't exalt in the presence of a friend, they're probably not gonna know until EVERYONE knows because you're flaring, and even then unless they're hardcore believers or shitty friends(their ties towards you are weaker than their tie to the immaculate faith/anathema in general), they're not gonna tattle.
It's not a given, at all, that everyone in Creation fears the Celestial exalts and will turn them over asap. If you're playing in a game where that's the case, smack your ST a few times for me, then leave and find a better one.
>>
>>44850439
>Anybody outside the Realm and it's Satrapies, however, doesn't believe them to be demons.
If it weren't after midnight, I'm pretty sure I can find a quote from one of the setting books that contradicts that. Something about the largest cultural institution in Creation repeating it for so long that their enemies started to believe it.
>>
>>44850280
>The IO has successfully convinced most of Creation that anyone who Exalts as a Celestial is a soulless demon,
This is not at all true. People in the Blessed Isle almost certainly believe that. People in the Realm Satrapies, or the immediate threshold mostly believe that.

But much farther from that and it becomes less a matter of believing that celestial exalts are demons, and more a matter of believing that the IO will fuck your shit up if you say otherwise.

Of course, all this depends on the person in question actually recognizing an exalt as a celestial to begin with. Your typical lay peasant can't tell apart an elemental from a demon, let alone a Solar from a dude who's just naturally super strong and super charming. And if that super strong and super charming dude just happened to save their village from the fey/route a horde of bandits/help bring in the harvest/tip kind of generously, they probably won't care even if they can tell.
>>
So, tomorrow I'm throwing 8000 zombies at my players. Lets see how his mass combat system deals with that.

If I come out of this not wanting to stab myself in the eyeball, 3E is bestest.
>>
>>44852415
>8000 Zombies

so, what, 4 or so Size 5 battle groups?

It's gonna run as smoothly as a fight against five NPCs would. Smoother, even, since battlegroups don't use charms.

Might want to lower the amount of battlegroups and sprinkle leaders inside each one capable of casting spells and delivering command actions, though, or it'll just be you basic-attacking whilst your Exalts use all manner of charms.
>>
>>44852415
Please don't be Stretch. I will cry if you are my ST.
>>
>>44852561

6 Size 5 Battlegroups, plus their mortal allies (several more Size 4 Battlegroups), plus a bunch of special units. And they have war ghosts leading them, and a Dusk Caste commanding the whole show.

On the other side are about a thousand or so troops, about 2/3rds of which are actually any good in a fight. On the upside, they have a fortified city wall and a circle of Solars; on the downside, none of the Solars is a War specialist (although a couple of them are halfway OK at it).

I am so looking forward to seeing what a Dawn does to a thousand zombies.
>>
Hey /exg/ I need idea help. What is a cool way to seal an Essence 8 god that could be done by the Sidereals and Dragonblooded? I am trying to come up with a fetch quest for the players to have to either help or stop the release of a god by an army of lesser gods trying to free a direction. But I am trying to think of a cool way to seal the god that would allow the seal to be broken into several pieces and placed all over the direction. Probably one piece on the Blessed Isle as well.
>>
>>44854771
What kind of god are we talking about here? The god's portfolio and thematics will inform the way it's been sealed.
>>
>>44855112

Well I am thinking the War God of the West. Changing the lore a bit and basically having Siakal take over after this guy got sealed at the tail end of the Usurpation. Not sure what exactly is purview yet as I am still in early stages right now. Kireeki is part of the court trying to bring him back though. He may not even be a Western God.

I am not sure but has the god of sailors ever actually been put in the lore? Because that may work perfectly.
>>
>>44855198
First idea to come to mind for the Seal : the God was physically chained on a remote island why outor some such mysterious place, then the Sids crafted a Destiny for the Isle saying that only one specific ship can ever reach it - the one they brought the God there with. Then the DBs take the ship appart and use the parts to repair various other ships over time, scattering the pieces over the world.

Breaking the Seal would thus involve recovering the ship's parts and assembling it anew, then sailing to the God's prison to attempt a rescue. The place might be protected some more, of course.
>>
>>44855320

Hmm it would be a nice upgrade to their ship especially if it is a First Age ship. But rebuilding the ship would be beyond nearly anybody as this is 3e and nobody in the party would dare touch Craft besides one guy who is doing it as a side thing with just a few dots put in for character backstory. We could do piecing together a mythical map to find the island instead.

Or a compass to find the island. A horn to call the winds to get rid of a sorcerous mist that prevents you from approaching the island. Maybe a hammer to destroy a earthen stone covering the tomb. And a special liquid to melt the crystal the god is in.
>>
>>44855418
Or you could just add a legendary shipsmith to the campaign. Finding them and asking them to rebuild the ship would make for a cool story too.
>>
>>44852688
>I am so looking forward to seeing what a Dawn does to a thousand zombies.
Redeads them generally.
>>
>>44852561
>since battlegroups don't use charms

What? Why? If I have 20 Blood Apes in a battlegroup why can't it use Blood Ape charms?
>>
File: Zombies.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Zombies.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>44855837
Death 2.0. When dying once just isn't enough.

Get yours today!
>>
>>44857292
Because the whole point of mass combat is simplifying something huge and complex. Instead of charms, you get Might 2.
>>
>>44857292
>>44857333

There isn't actually a rule explicitly stating BGs can't use Charms.

It's ambiguous whether Might is meant to abstract ALL of their magic, or just the magic that the BG's inert initiative renders inapplicable, like JB boosters and decisive attacks.
>>
>>44852688
Get his ass handed to him.

The Solars aren't good at war and have inferior troops. Siege happens. The living starve and fall to despair while the heroes of heaven fail to effectively fight evil.
In the end, the populace opens the gates and embraces the inevitable, rather than continue propping up shiny but stupid demi-gods.
>>
Would you allow someone to come up with with a Martial Art for The Burning Name? If they paid 3 merit dots instead of 2 would you allow them to buy evocations for it?
>>
>>44857639

Martial Arts are their own self contained thing, I'd allow it to be used with Thrown Charms, though. As for Evocations, look at the Candent Carbuncle in the Hearthstone section instead.
>>
>>44857639
>Would you allow someone to come up with with a Martial Art for The Burning Name?
Ehhh. I guess. Not sure there's an entire MA's worth of stuff to be had in mouth-lasers, but if they managed it.

>If they paid 3 merit dots instead of 2 would you allow them to buy evocations for it?
Definitely not.
>>
>>44857693
>Ehhh. I guess. Not sure there's an entire MA's worth of stuff to be had in mouth-lasers, but if they managed it.
Well they managed with Nightingale.
>Definitely not.
Why not?
>>
>>44857687
>As for Evocations, look at the Candent Carbuncle in the Hearthstone section instead.
For advice on how not to do it? Or is 7m, 3i and 1wp really a valid cost for an attack at short range?
>>
>>44857726
>Well they managed with Nightingale.
You'll notice Nightingale has secondary themes to fall back on; and if you're going to expand the MA to be "Ifrit Pact Lord Style" in general a la Black Claw / Bargain With Mara, the Burning Name isn't going to fit as a form weapon.

>Why not?
Because at that point you're literally just taking fire-themed Charms whether they fit your Exalt's thematics or not. The Burning Name is not an artifact, it has no personal story and it has no relationship with your character, it's just mouth-lasers. It's unsuitable for Evocations in every respect.
>>
>>44857749

It is, because it keys off of Brawl, and making ranged attacks using non ranged abilities is a Big Deal, something that's brought up every time someone wants to make evocations.
>>
>>44857454
A Dawn is perfectly capable of fighting an army of zombies.
>>
>>44857876

What about 6 armies of maximum size?
>>
>>44857972
Depends on the broader context. I mean, a Dawn with the right Charms probably could defeat those armies. If those armies don't politely take their turns engaging him and instead march past him to ravage his home and slaughter his people, there's little he can do by himself to stop him. It's hardly a hopeless situation, but it should be challenging.
>>
What constitutes an 'organization' for the purpose of Bureaucracy charms? Does a king's court count? A ragtag rebel militia? A barbarian tribe?
>>
>>44859241
>Does a king's court count?
Yes
A ragtag rebel militia?
Yes
A barbarian tribe?
No. The place you live and your family don't define your 'organisation'. A barbarian army would though.
>>
>>44859321
What about the leadership of a delzhan tribe?
>>
>>44858062
Not easily against zombies. The thing about a Dawn wrecking an army of that size is that he's very much hoping that he can force a rout very quickly. Assassinate the commander so he can't help with that and give command actions, pulp the troops...

Zombies can't be routed. So every army essentially has to be killed 5 times, even if they get slightly weaker each time you empty a magnitude track.
>>
>>44859389
Can't the Dawn rout them? I mean, they feel fear thanks to the Anima power.
>>
>>44859530
Interesting point, but Perfect Morale and the Dawn anima aren't stated to interact. Completely in theme, though.
>>
>>44859530
The Dawn could; I'd forgotten about that. But if he's not involved, they aren't routing until every last zombie has been killed. Which means his presence will be required for the zombies, and his other circle mates will be the ones forced to handle the mortal groups.
>>
>>44859896
>Which means his presence will be required for the zombies, and his other circle mates will be the ones forced to handle the mortal groups.
Also possibly several battlegroups of zombies. It's not like all of the zombies are obliged to focus on the same opponent, and even the most badass Dawn there ever was can't be everywhere at once.
>>
>>44859988
Yup. 8000 zombies is serious fucking business. In fact, because battlegroups attack in an AOE (They roll an attack and apply it to any opponent within close range/inside them), the zombies can munch on the Dawn AND wreck the human survivors/armies at the same time!
>>
>9001 zombies
Just cast a DOOB at them and be done with it.
>>
What's the best Adamant circle control spell?
>>
>>44860941
Depends on your character concept. I have a twilight who is a brawler in my group. He can convert withering damage into smotes by halving the damage up to a max of 5. So I feel like Death Ray would be something he'd look at.
>>
>>44860941
Total Annihilation or bust.
>>
>>44860941
Unity of the Closed fist
>>
>>44857639
> Burning Name Evocations
Sure, if it's modeled after Mara's Demonic Tattoos. So it wouldn't be so much about spewing fire every where as infusing magic with fire, drawing more power from fire, and empowering summoned elementals with fire.

Also, it would have a fiery tell that gets stronger as the sorcerer masters more evocations.
>>
>>44861233
Aka "Oops. We broke the game."

It's a really awesome spell, but there's a reason it was the only spell or charm from the leak that got cut. Giving a Solar a static Dexterity of 7 is a bad idea.

Fair Folk nobles everywhere are devastated that they once again don't matter.
>>
>>44861495
it sucked in every other edition why didnt it suck in this one?
>>
Can someone explain to me what Overhwhelming Tag actually does
Apparently I am retarded and I can't understand it
>>
>>44862063

Normally soak can reduce your damage to a minimum of 1. The overwhelming value of a weapon instead says "no, to a minimum of this."

So if you had an overwhelming value of 3, even if you smack a guy with 100 soak, you'll always roll at least 3 dice of damage, instead of 1.

Applies to withering attacks only.
>>
>>44862191
>Applies to withering attacks only.
>>44862063
>Overhwhelming Tag
He might be playing 2e, in which case it applies to all attacks made with the weapon.
>>
>>44863102
No one here ever assumes 2e anymore unless its explicitly stated.
>>
>>44857639
Well, I guess you could use Righteous Devil Style with it. Maybe. Dunno?
>>
Did they take Plasma Tongue Repeaters out of the backer pdf?
>>
>>44864266

Looks like. Not like it makes a difference.
>>
>>44864298
Hard to do Righteous Devil without it, isn't it?
>>
With all the stuff a ST needs to keep track of, how would you build an Exalted 3e combat tracker?
Specifically, one used for live games, rather than an online one.
>>
>>44864333

The whole point of moving to a "same 3 statlines + tags" system was to make weapons trivial to stat up.

"What's the artifact equivalent of a needle?"
>take the needle statline
>swap to the artifact statline, same tags
"Oh of course."

"What're the stats on a big fuckin' tetsubo with razors on it."
>sounds like a Heavy weapon with Smashing and Lethal
"Oh of course."

The example weapons are just that.
>>
Can anyone point me to alternate chargen and advancement systems for 2e or 2.5e? There must be pastebin or wiki pages or something.
>>
What's a good hook for a short, introductory adventure to get people into Ex3? Something that should last 2-3 sessions.
>>
>>44864382
https://bitbucket.org/primefactorx01/ex-3e-init-tracker/downloads Friend gave me this thing today actually. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it could be useful.
>>
>>44864393
I can't think of anything besides anathema. There something wrong with it?
>>
>>44864483

he means an actual system, not a tool.

like XP-based chargen, or pyramid (choose one attribute to have at 5, two at 4, and so on), etc.
>>
>>44864386
>>44864333
Similarly, a PTR is just a flame piece with the same tags. There's no official write-up, and the martial art in question doesn't mention an artifact equivalent of the flame piece, so you might need to argue with your GM as to why an artifact flame piece doesn't have the Slow tag (i.e. the one that implies reloading is a factor), while the artifact medium bow just has exactly the same tags as a mortal medium bow.

But that's all pretty much irrelevant, since you can reload really easily with RDS. You can reload when you aim with Cloud of Ebon Devils, and you can reflexively aim with Righteous Devil Form. What more do you want?
>>
>>44864642
Ooooooh.

My sister recommended starting with 200 xp to me once, though that might have been exclusively for Lunars.
>>
>>44829713
Thank you based anon

I would like to add a reminder that Rich is a liar
>>
Hordeanon from earlier posting.

Game went very well. The Abyssal General sent Big Obvious Walking Siege Weapons at the gates to bait the Solars out, which actually mostly didn't work right up until the end when the opportunity for coolness just got too much for one of the (two) Dawns and she jumped off the walls and fucked them right up.

So now she's in a circle getting given the honour of a noble duel with a Deathknight while the zombies stand by and watch. Because rule of cool, basically. She is FUCKED, though; even if she wins, all her support is the other side of the city wall.

So now my players have a choice - sally to rescue her and risk the gate getting overwhelmed with thousands of zombies and enemy mortals, or leave her there to die and hope she manages to protagonist her way out of it.

And that's where I left it for the night. Next week is going to be sweet as fuck.
>>
>>44866417

How did they fare against the 6 Size 5 BGs? Did the walls keep them seperated?
>>
>>44866608
Yep. Evil General Guy has only sent part of his army for this assault (2 S5 BGs of Zeds, 1 S4 BG of decently trained mortals, 1 S1 unit of gatebreakers, 1 S3 unit of flying monsters for harrying purposes), as the intention here was to bait the Solars out.

Turns out crossbowmen on a big fuckoff wall can make a mess of their targets. Again, points to 3E there. My players have done a good job of target selection too.

Biggest issue is the Twilight medic doesn't have much to do atm so I'm thinking of Evil Death Plague Canisters next week.
>>
Using sorcerous workings to increase your breeding, heresy for the Immaculate order or totally okay?
>>
>>44867138
Depends how pious you are. Piety is measured in talents of jade.
>>
>>44867138
>>44867172

Assuming it's even possible.

I'd err towards not, myself, since that's borderline using a Working to conjure up an Exaltation flat out.

But I'm also the kind of person that makes it a houserule that breeding programs, statistically, do not work on DBs; the factors that go into breeding are more complicated than simple heredity.
>>
>>44867405
Interesting you mention that, because using sorcery to assist in DB breeding might actually be possible, if you consider humans to be animals, and dragonblooded-ness to be "The best traits of both"
>>
>>44867562

I wouldn't, any more than I'd consider Solar-ness to be "the best traits of both." Creation is also a bit of an odd place in that humans are distinctly not animals, literally at a soul level; it's definitely possible that apes literally couldn't have evolved into humans, in Creation, anymore than they could have evolved into demons.

But again, I'm that kind of guy; do as thou wilt and all that.
>>
>>44867405
>Assuming it's even possible.
>I'd err towards not, myself, since that's borderline using a Working to conjure up an Exaltation flat out.
While an Exaltation may not be involved, an Ambition 3 Solar Circle Working can grant a mortal power equivalent to a 3rd circle demon, more than enough to crush even the strongest of Dragon-Blooded.
>>
>>44867791

Not actually true.

While Celestial-3 specifically mentions 2CD as a comparison point, Solar-3 only says
>A supernatural being of singular nature and considerable power.

Certainly stronger than a 2CD, but assuming they're a 3CD is reaching.
>>
>>44867886
>Certainly stronger than a 2CD, but assuming they're a 3CD is reaching.
Yeah, there's a gulf between a 2CD and a 3CD.
>>
>>44868278
Though it's not nearly as large as the gulf between an Ambition 3 Celestial Working and an Ambition 3 Solar Working. The former is feasibly achievable by a mortal. The latter is difficult for a Solar.
>>
>Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Maria is working on the correx.

ETA November 2016
>>
>>44868746
You're an optimistic sucker, yes you are!
>>
>>44867405
Yeah, I suppose it might not be possible. Anyone who managed to pull that sort of thing off would be aggressively recruited by Red, Mnemon, and just about every House and Gens until only fine bloody chunks were left.
>>
>>44840904

I've had *actual play* experience of Craft. The only reason it was "Eh, not bad", was that the table trusted the Crafter enough that when he spent half an hour (no exageration) rolling dice by himself, at home, during campaign downtime, we trusted the results.

I sat through some of his rolls the first few times, before he had all his charms online. If we'd had to stop the action to sit through that at the table, our game probably would have died of apathy.

The only saving grace the Craft system has is that because it pretty much only happens in downtime, so nobody has to sit through that crap. It's pretty much just masturbation, with dice.
>>
>>44857454

>implying a dawn cannot handle that

Anyone with white reaper will ANNIHILATE battlegroups, even 6 size 5 ones.
>>
>>44861495

Just count them as bonus noncharm die instead of actual dots
>>
>>44867886
>>44867791
Retardation. I ain't allowing player-crafted exaltations. Grorken disallows enlightenment for mortals because it fucks with the setting, and then allows celestial working exaltations? That shit just ain't right, plain stupid, nigga.
>>
>>44864696

Pure xp based chargen is much more complicated.
>>
>>44840681

They do realize it, that's kind of their point; the male-gendered word is the default, right?
>>
>>44870752
Male are default because male have no intrinsic worth, though. You don't call all your rocks diamonds, because not all your rocks are diamond. Tis simple.

Now the diamonds are offended because we don't call every rocks diamond. Tis stupid at the highest point, and it only get stupider.
>>
>>44870382
>.
>I sat through some of his rolls the first few times, before he had all his charms online. If we'd had to stop the action to sit through that at the table, our game probably would have died of apathy.
>The only saving grace the Craft system has is that because it pretty much only happens in downtime, so nobody has to sit through that crap. It's pretty much just masturbation, with dice.
How many characters actually take White Reaper?
>>
>>44870479
>Retardation. I ain't allowing player-crafted exaltations.
There's a big difference between that and a "player-crafted exaltations."
>Grorken disallows enlightenment for mortals because it fucks with the setting, and then allows celestial working exaltations? That shit just ain't right, plain stupid, nigga.
Mortals can still become enlightened, they just cease to be mortals afterwards. All that changed was the terminology.
>>
>>44870917
>Male are default because male have no intrinsic worth, though. You don't call all your rocks diamonds, because not all your rocks are diamond. Tis simple.
There is actual etymology behind the pronoun "he." Quit trying to pass yourself off as smart by making shit up.
>>
>>44870917
Holy shit that is the most spaghetti-neckbeard view I've ever heard on it

The male pronoun is the default because, for the longest fucking time, the world was run by men; woman was second to man, and it was expected that the man would be doing any important business. Thus if you were talking about somebody visiting you, odds are they were a man, so people just said 'he'.

In the modern world, that isn't the case anymore; you can find women in positions that used to be held only be men, and vice versa. Thus, if you don't know anything about the person you're talking about, since there's a roughly even chance either way, you should just use 'they', which works perfectly find for a singular pronoun.

>>44840143
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>44871111
>[Citation Needed]
My point, there, btw, not being that they don't use it as shorthand for Princeps, but that Prince is intended to be a gender-neutral term.
Because I sure as fuck haven't seen any evidence to that end.
>>
>>44867886
>A supernatural being of singular nature and considerable power.
>Certainly stronger than a 2CD, but assuming they're a 3CD is reaching.
The assumption that it's roughly 3CD level falls straight out of the structure. It's hardly reaching to use that as a baseline.

Now, any individual creation may be stronger or weaker depending on its nature and narrative circumstances. Use powerful, exotic and irreplaceable components and you'll get a more powerful result. Use nothing, and then it probably won't be 3CD-tier.

Fundamentally, this level of working should potentially be able to make beings such as the Deathlords.
>>
>>44869851
>Anyone who managed to pull that sort of thing off would be aggressively recruited by Red, Mnemon
Or, more likely, be Red or Mnemon. Scarlet did have that artifact that made her a Celestial Circle Sorcerer...
>>
File: 39af4d6946324265e43e1084dd4226ef.jpg (143KB, 609x1301px) Image search: [Google]
39af4d6946324265e43e1084dd4226ef.jpg
143KB, 609x1301px
>>44871292
>Or, more likely, be Red or Mnemon. Scarlet did have that artifact that made her a Celestial Circle Sorcerer...

Oh man, I was so excited to use Workings for mortals I forgot the big Realm bruisers have them too. Hell, at 200 or so years of age, Mnemon probably has a half-dozen or so 2CD-alikes carrying out her House's business. Man, having her loan one to the local Mnemon satrap would put a big fucking stick in the PCs' wheels.
>>
>>44871248
>Fundamentally, this level of working should potentially be able to make beings such as the Deathlords.
The Deathlords are no where near 3CD strength, or at least they weren't in 2e.
>>
>>44871621
She may not look it, but Mnemon's actually more like 400 years old. An elder sorcerer like her is going to be punching way above her natural weight class just using personal enhancements alone.

Thanks to her precious Emerald Thurible she's probably more likely to send out disposable fodder like an actual 2cd or three than precious irreplaceable perfectly loyal constructs.
>>
Would porting the Necklace of Solar Charisma as it is in 2e to 3e make it overpowered?
>>
>>44872188
>Would porting the Necklace of Solar Charisma as it is in 2e to 3e make it overpowered?

Yes and no. With the loss of Infinite Mastery and the nerfing of Specialties, passive bonuses to rolls are really hard to get. A +3 to (basically) all social rolls is really strong.

Harmonious Presence Mastery gives that +3, but they're Charm dice, they don't help you exceed the usual 21-25 dice cap. Boosting CHA and APP by three with non-Charm dice means your Excellency can now add 13 dice max (instead of 10 and just 7 when HPM is active).
>>
>>44872064
Odds are, she's got a few constructs that aren't so perfect that she wouldn't terribly mind losing. Even with her fancy hat, she's still only got Celestial Sorcery and DB charms and dicepools.

Though really, with her basically having Resources N/A, she can probably just burn bling to compensate. Or at least, she can now. Any seriously flawed constructs are probably older models that she made before in her first century after Exalting. They might also suffer from being poorly maintained and loaned out to her descendants, since she's too much of a stone cold bitch to keep something like that for sentimental value.
>>
>>44840072
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/810729-less-gendered-terminology-of-creation

>In my day job I'm an academic specialising in gender and literature,

Oh, well this'll end well I'm sure...

>Balancing the in-universe aspects of the game and writing with the existing culture of the audience is difficult, basically.
>(FWIW we did this brainstorming, have adjusted some of the language, but we are sticking with Prince as a gender-neutral term)

Huh. Apparently you can arrive at SanityVille on the CrazyTown Train. Who knew?
>>
>>44870382
No-one has White Reaper. If they did I'd probably still have run this but I'd not have set it up as the massive challenge I've built it up to be, it'd be the equivalent of mulching a band of bandits - an excuse to show off how fucking awesome the PCs are.

Without it, though, my players are running a little scared and functioning at top capacity (except the medic Twilight, of course, but as mentioned above, that's my job to fix).

Gotta hand it to 3E that this is even a discussion we can have. Couldn't try this in 2E. really.
>>
File: cantwakeupskeleton.jpg (11KB, 367x202px) Image search: [Google]
cantwakeupskeleton.jpg
11KB, 367x202px
>Nearly 156 pages of Infernals
>Literally the same size as my first completed draft of Alchemicals
>STILL ONLY DONE THREE YOZI'S
>mfw

I haven't even gotten into the crafting charms yet...
>>
>>44871111
You seem really ignorant to true matters of gender. Are you a feminist, per chance? One who believe in patriarchy and other outdated concept?

Through all history, males were disposable, and still are. Males were expected to die in war and to provide for their female counterpart. The female is always considered as exceptional, not because it is 'inferior' like you seem to mistakenly believe, but instead because of an inherent self worth. It is lauded from the oldest fertility cults to the cult of the Virgin Mary.

This is a well understood evolutionary phenomenon of course. Women are important for reproduction, while men are disposables. Societies that put importance and emphasize women are societies that have a better chance of survival. Just like what you are doing, right now.

What is exceptional is, well, exceptional. An exception. We don't call anybody a 'she' because not anybody is a she - not anybody is exceptional like that. This is very simple to understand.
>>
>>44873107
Can we fuck this shit back off to /pol/ where it belongs, plz? Same applies to that "lol neckbeardz lol" fag upthread.

Some of us are trying to talk about fuckin elfgames.
>>
File: 1427040979309.png (564KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
1427040979309.png
564KB, 500x738px
>>44872980
On one hand, I feel for your suffering. On the other hand, my feelings on all the Infernals stuff coming up.
>>
>>44840072
>>44872980
Having read that entire thread, I find myself left wondering where all that madness and ridicule is supposed to be found.

I only see polite discussion in there. Am I blind or what?
>>
Can someone explain Iron Kettle technique in 2e to me?
Does it make Oak meditation permanent and then you can supercharge it so that it becomes ever stronger for one scene or it's not permanent and you can spend 4 mote to activate for a scene
>>
>>44830744
Does buying the second dot in an attribute still cost less than buying the third dot?

Why are you asking your players to fuck themselves over by literally wasting XP on what amounts to just a different configuration of starting dots?
>>
>>44833912
>For instance, lets say a character goes 2/3/2 instead of 1/5/1 for physical stats, and then wants to increase their Dexterity. If they'd started with 1/4/2, then increasing to 2/4/2 would cost them 4xp. Would you let them pay just 4xp to go from 2/3/2 to 2/4/2? They could then pay 4xp to get to 2/5/2, and then they've caught up with the cheap stat boosts of a minmaxer's tertiary attributes.
But then the player who did start with a 1 gets punished by having to roll shitty dicepools that include that 1, while the other guy gets the benefit of never having 1s while also getting the benefit that the guy who did start with a 1 gets (i.e. cheaper advancement).
>>
>>44873933

If you don't know 2e by now stop. You are not meant for it.
>>
Am I wrong for thinking that my GM is an asshole?
One of our characters was unconscious and as a stunt Abyssal exalted cut off his arm and used it to hit someone...can you even do that in a stunt?
>>
>>44874023
That's pretty fucking dumb.
>>
>>44873989
I just started playing it and am on my third session, why be a dick, just explain how it works.
>>
>>44874029
Having just started playing 2E is a good time to stop. Not that guy but I'm not joking about this. You are in for bad times.
>>
>>44874040
But my GM refuses not to play a game that has millions of splats because he is too lazy to stat out and think of stuff by himself
>>
>>44874109
>refuses not to play a game
I really need to sleep.
I meant, he refuses to play a game that does not have billions of splats and pre-made content.
>>
>>44872913
>Gotta hand it to 3E that this is even a discussion we can have. Couldn't try this in 2E. really.
How so?
>>
>>44874119
Quit.

No, seriously. Quit. Whatever else you can find, even if it is doing nothing, you will find more joy doing anything else than playing with this guy.

With a good GM, Exalted 2e can be tolerable.

With a bad GM, I would legit put thought into smashing my thumb with a hammer rather than put myself through that.
>>
>>44873933
No, it doesn't make Oak Meditation permanent. Oak meditation gives you 8 Hardness before your opponent rolls damage. What that means is that you activate Oak Meditation before they roll damage, and if their raw damage (the amount of dice they will be rolling for damage) is less than or equal to 8, then it does nothing. Iron Kettle Body is activated and lasts for the whole scene, but rather than giving you hardness, it gives you bonuses to your soak for the whole scene. Soak differs from hardness in that hardness either stops the attack (by being equal to or greater than the attack's raw damage) or it doesn't and does nothing. Soak doesn't stop damage, but what it does is reduce the amount of damage you take after they roll their actual damage, which may end up reducing it enough so that you don't take any damage from the attack.

Sorry for all the unhelpful replies in this thread. 3rd edition is definitely much better than 2nd edition, so most of the anime mean well, but they tend to be really unhelpful when it comes to 2nd edition because their general response to all questions concerning 2nd edition is "play 3rd edition instead". Like I said, 3rd certainly is better, but when your group is using 2nd it's not exactly a helpful response.
>>
>>44874235
I wouldn't go that far. With a good GM who understands the system and keeps an eye on his players, you can have lots of fun in 2E. With a gentleman's agreement, you can entirely ignore Chungian combat. On the other hand, this does take a bunch of effort, houseruling and basically banning Grand Goremauls.

For a bad GM, sure. Playing nothing is preferable to playing 2E with a bad GM. Quick question for >>44874109 is your group using the 2.5 errata?
>>
>>44874214
Have you seen 2E's mass combat rules?
>>
>>44867791
>an Ambition 3 Solar Circle Working can grant a mortal power equivalent to a 3rd circle demon
I know this discussion was a while back and is probably dead and done, but doesn't it just say that an Ambition 3 Solar Circle Working can *create* a "supernatural being of singular nature and considerable power"? That it's possible to create such a being with a Working does not imply that it's possible to bump a mortal up to the level of such a being with a Working.
>>
>>44873795
It's funny you say that, because someone has since started shitting up the thread with arguments about identity politics. Sounds very much like someone from here.
>>
>>44874369
I played 2E for years, and I still don't understand how poisons work in that system.

Way happier with 3e, crafting and all
>>
>>44875033
Another Solar 3 Working lets you transfer a mortals consciousness into a magical vessel, which could include a working-forged godbody
>>
>>44875033
>That it's possible to create such a being with a Working does not imply that it's possible to bump a mortal up to the level of such a being with a Working.
True by itself, but a Solar-1 working can transfer the soul of a mortal, and a Solar-2 working can utterly transform the inherent nature of a soul, so it should be possible.

Starting from scratch gives you a lot more freedom, but it won't let your waifu go on adventures with you.
>>
>>44877180
>not creating your waifu from scratch
This kind of half-assedness is the reason we're living the Age of Sorrows.
>>
I figured out the ultimate strategy with social influence system.

Step one: get as many dice as possible for Performance, specifically for oratory.
Step two: use this to yell about how horrible things are going to happen because of [those fuckers] who are going to take [our shit]. Inspire fear.
Step three: now yell about how you'll totally save them from [those fuckers] and prevent them from taking [our shit]. Inspire hope.

Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.
>>
File: THOSE FUCKERS.gif (95KB, 468x602px) Image search: [Google]
THOSE FUCKERS.gif
95KB, 468x602px
>>44877644
Does linguistics cover political cartoons?
>>
Would "reshape a dead Neverborn into a race of beings meant to guide ghosts to Lethe" be an appropriate Solar Circle Working of Ambition 3?
>>
>>44878041

No.

At that point you've gone way beyond "Make subtle alterations to the metaphysics of the entire cosmos" and deep into "Make vulgar, hentai-level alterations to the metaphysics of the entire cosmos."

At absolute best, Workings would be part of that process, as a massive campaign-long undertaking requiring dozens of skills and simultaneous approaches both in and out of the Neverborn's tomb-body.
>>
>>44878041
Sounds more like a Void Circle Working, if even that.
>>
>>44878082
Well, we're on the trail of the Eye of Autochthon, so maybe that would help out.
>>
>>44878041
If it's the focus of your campaign? Absolutely.
>>
>>44878133
The focus of your campaign should absolutely not be solved with a single working.
>>
>>44878122
>Eye of Autochthon
>maybe that would help

This kind of shit is the reason we're living the Age of Sorrows
>>
>>44878161
Well at the very least it'll help with the other problem we have, the First and Forsaken Lion.
>>
>>44878122
>Eye of Autochthon
>maybe that would help
Well, it was nice to know ya.
>>
>>44878161
>>44878277
Let's be honest, the smart money says the GM hands them all their hopes and dreams on a platter.
>>
>>44878383
Well, the way you guys are making it sound, it sounds like some horrible cursed item. I just thought it was a horrendously powerful item that people went power mad over because it gave them power. Now I don't want any of that shit.
>>
>>44878383
Any ST who treats the Eye as anything but a cock-up wrapped in clusterfuck paper and tied with a FUBAR ribbon deserves to have their license revoked.

It has one purpose, and that purpose is to fuck up whatever it's possessor is doing. It's a practical joke Autobot played on humanity, and we're all just too stupid and tiny to understand his alien, cancer-ridden sense of humor.
>>
>>44877659

I think it would. You're not trying to make a piece of art that shakes the heavens, but making a statement.
>>
>>44878503
The Eye of Autochthon fucking up everything is a meme like blowing up Gem. don't listen to people that spend all day in this thread discussing the game because they can't get into a game.
>>
File: I Had Fun Once.jpg (58KB, 401x479px) Image search: [Google]
I Had Fun Once.jpg
58KB, 401x479px
>>44878544
>>
>>44878503

I distinctly remember the way one of the Eye's users ended was up.

As in, he and all his armies and his city started rising into the sky. Forever.
>>
>>44878606
Fuck, guess I better treat that thing with kid gloves. GM did mention that the last user nuked themselves along with a host of Fae in the South along with that city you just mentioned, but I guess I just chalked it up to "lol Terrestrials suck and can't into magitech".
>>
>>44878606
Basically picturing it as the glitch from Black Flag.
>Imagine the Eye of Autochthon's powers being entirely videogame glitch related.
>Women start flapping around like crows and taking off
>People walk through other people - you see their eyeballs while walking through
>Carts sink into the ground for no reason
>>
>>44878667
>nothing bad ever happened to a Solar, what could possibly go wrong
>I wonder what happens when I press this button....
>>
>>44878667
It was a mortal actually that nuked himself. First he built himself an empire to rival the Realm, though. It's extremely powerful, even if it can really screw you over.
>>
>>44878706
>Hey, that monkey's paw made that guy a king, I should totally use it
>>
>>44878761
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here
>>
>>44878761
>monkey's paw

Seriously anon, this is the Eye's deal. The Eye of Authochthon will be a huge asset as it's immensely powerful and almost universally applicable, but no amount of Eclipse/Sidereal/etc. legal-ese will get you out of the catastrophic and inevitable consequences.
>>
>>44878793
You mean you don't know what a monkey's paw is, or you don't know what it has to do with the Eye?
>>
>>44878818
>but no amount of Eclipse/Sidereal/etc. legal-ese will get you out of the catastrophic and inevitable consequences.
you don't know that. It could simply be that it requires a roll and a botch fucks you over. We don't exactly have a big sample size.
>>
>>44878843
I don't see what you're trying to actually say. You're not exactly disagreeing or adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.
>>
Ah, N/A level artifacts. Always fun to deal with.

Speaking of which, in my lewd campaign, my character is planning to overthrow the Sword Prince of Vaneha (his half-brother) by taking the imperial Daiklave to help him legitimize his rule. My ST has told me ahead of time that said Daiklave will be a 5 dot artifact that may eventually grow to N/A level over time. Said Daiklave is apparently sentient, and will become stronger via spilled blood, until she's eventually able to break free of the Daiklave, "For good or for ill" as my ST said.

On a scale of 1 to PANIC, how worried should I be?
>>
>>44879311
Your ST is letting you have an N/A Artifact that isn't a Warstrider.

It's already too late anon, just enjoy the ride/
>>
>>44879345
Well I mean to be fair, it's not going to start off like that. It'll just get to that level after it's been fed enough.

Considering I plan to conquer the Hundred Kingdoms and then take my huge army into the jungle to deal with that Ma-Ha-Suchi fucker who keeps throwing beastmen at us though, it shouldn't take to get it to that point.
>>
>>44873972
>But then the player who did start with a 1 gets punished by having to roll shitty dicepools that include that 1, while the other guy gets the benefit of never having 1s while also getting the benefit that the guy who did start with a 1 gets (i.e. cheaper advancement).
That's the whole point. The benefits of having cheaper advancement outweigh the benefits of having a higher dice pool, since a character with cheaper advancement with always be ahead on XP while the character with a higher dicepool will lose that advantage. That method of XP costing is meant to remove this disparity.
>>
>>44879519
>then take my huge army into the jungle to deal with that Ma-Ha-Suchi fucker

RIP in pieces, anon.
>>
>>44878606
>As in, he and all his armies and his city started rising into the sky. Forever.
Not forever. There is a ceiling to the world, it's make of Adamant, and there are a few craters on it shaped like Manosque Viridian and his army.
>>
>>44880868
He's probably about as strong as Ahlat. I'm sure a good Essence 4-5 Solar spec'd for combat could take him.
>>
>>44881215
A good Essence 4-5 Solar spec'd for combat could take him in white room combat, probably.

Ma-Ha-Suchi is a guerrilla fighter, though, and anon would be fighting him in his home turf. No one gets the chance to fight him in white room combat.
>>
>>44881496
Then pull a Vietnam. Burn him and his shitty forest hideout and his shitty barbarian lackeys to ash. He deserves no quarter or mercy. Creation will thank you... eventually.
>>
>>44881496
Ah. Well now you need a good general, and one not stupid enough to make the mistake of trying to burn down his jungle to counter , as the local Wood elementals will probably join Ma-Ha-Suchi (if he hasn't already made deals with them) and smack down any dumb fuck who torches their home. They will need to convince forces on Ma-Ha-Suchi's side to spy for them and turn traitor in order to counter the guerilla tactics, as well as train their own forces to adapt their tactics to the jungle.

Should be a hard fight but it's possible.
>>
>>44881766
>>44881814

I laughed heartily
>>
>>44881496
>A good Essence 4-5 Solar spec'd for combat could take him in white room combat, probably.

He's gonna have to solo MHS. This is a lewd game. The only other character is optimized for Occult.
>>
>>44881814
Bullshit. One casting of Total Anihilation, and that luddite shit for brains and his merry furbarian animal shaggers are fucking history. Total Anihilation solves everything.
>>
>>44881886
have you tried seducing MHS?
>>
File: Screen.png (844KB, 682x697px) Image search: [Google]
Screen.png
844KB, 682x697px
>>44882186
Even partially chimerized, you're not going to beat Ma-Ha-Suchi at something he's been practicing since the first age.
>>
>>44882766
>The Wolf with the Red Roses
I feel really stupid for never noticing this Meat Loaf reference before.
>>
>>44881766
>Then pull a Vietnam. Burn him and his shitty forest hideout and his shitty barbarian lackeys to ash. He deserves no quarter or mercy. Creation will thank you... eventually.
Just a heads up, but the people who tried those tactics in Vietnam didn't actually end up winning.
>>
>>44881496
I say that there is literally no way for a smart player with a combat oriented essence 5 Solar not to beat MHS
And by that time he probably has an army of automatons or some shit too
>>
Is it okay to introduce a 1st age solar that survived the usurpation by staying in an artifact time capsule or something? He's crazy because of the great curse and wants to kill the elemental dragons.
>>
>>44884172
Never introduce 1st age exalted until your players are at least essence 5
Generally never throw cool shit at players at the start of the game, this is a problem with a lot of GM's, they don't know how to create sense of progression
>>
>>44884000
You should have a chance if you can get past or destroy his army without sapping your strength(an achievement by itself.) MHS is strong, but a combat-focused E5 Solar is someone who even Sidereal Elders would not risk attacking without backup.

Or at least that's how it should be. In an ideal game.
>>
>>44884245
I think it's stated that even First Age Solar rarely broke through E5 barrier. So you could introduce him as early as E3 when the most potent effect come into play and maybe stall the actual confrontation until your players are around E4 or E5.
>>
>>44882999
>in b4 "because politics"
>>
>>44881814
>Well now you need a good general
Yeah, the plan is to conquer the Hundred Kingdoms first, then use my huge army to go fight him.

>>44882186
I should mention I did take the Sex Performance charms. Dunno if making a Defining tie of lust with him is a good idea though.
>>
>>44879311
>lewd
>'she'

Anon, it is your duty to fuck that sword. Before or after it 'breaks free'. Just watch your fingers.
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.