[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That Dm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: uwot.jpg (27KB, 140x167px) Image search: [Google]
uwot.jpg
27KB, 140x167px
>Playing or wanting to play a Werewolf makes you a filthy furry
>Playing or wanting to play a Vampire makes you edgy

Honestly i really hate it when GM's call me a furry or a edgy faggot whenever i wanna play one of there.

Also That Dm Time
>>
>>44806431
Were you trying to be edgy? Give more information.
>>
>>44806466
I just wanted to play a vampire who was looking a way to cure his vampisism and return.
When he saw that i wanted to play one he told me to stop being edgy without even reading my backstory.
>>
>>44806431
Stfu you furryfag edgy fuck.
>>
>>44806431
Well those alone don't make you a (probable) furry or an edgelord but from what I've seen, people are are furries/edgelords are predisposed towards animals/dark stuff.
>>
>>44806621
That's literally one of the least edgy ways you could play a vampiric character. Screw your DM.
>>
>>44806691
Samefag.
Of course it makes you a furryfag and an edgefag.
>>
>>44806431

Should have played Mage you edgy furry faggot lelelel
>>
>>44806621
Question.
Have you considered the fact that your character is effectively dead during the day?
Or are you counting on an endless dungeon crawl?
Seriously, no matter how sweet you pass yourself off as, the second ANYONE but your fellow PCs knows you're a vampire, you're gonna end up staked faster than Drac.
And don't think you can diplomance your way out of the situation, either, because that's the first thing the bloodsucking monster always tries to do. It's like being a succubus- no hunter worth his salt will care if you act cute and innocent or spread your legs, because you're a goddamn succubus, that's the oldest trick in the book!
It's just plain not a good idea to be a vampire, for you or anyone else in your party.
Now, if you're playing a game like LotFP where everything sucks all the time for everyone, I could see it fly.
But Dungeons and Dragons is not the system to run your wannabe Darkstalker character in (though that would make a pretty good game in of itself, I'd suggest BESM).
>>
>>44806431

Okay, new idea.

What if we read player backstories first, and THEN we look at what they are as class and species and gender to see if the backstory fits the mental image the backstory conjured up, or if the backstory is so stiflingly bad that you just throw it out at that?
>>
File: 1431296405809.jpg (27KB, 460x368px) Image search: [Google]
1431296405809.jpg
27KB, 460x368px
>>44806431
>MFW edgy furfag gets BTFO by a GM doing god's work
>>
>>44806891
As much as I want to agree with you, Twilight's success may be the greatest counter-argument to 'Everyone wants to murder vampires' imaginable.
>>
>>44807884
Anyone with any sense wants to murder vampires.
>>
>>44808024

Anyone with any sense would want to avoid vampires. Only the crazy and desperate want to woo/kill them.
>>
>>44808024
Aren't you assuming that the vast majority of people have any sense to begin with?
>>
>>44806431
Maybe the DM just didn't want to deal with the inherent hassle and faggotry werewolves and vampires bring to the table.

I know I for one am burnt out both of those fuckers and would not want to shoehorn then into a campaign for the sake of one person and his shitty FREE ME FROM MY CUUUUUUURSE angstfest
>>
>DM tries to force a character concept and character personality down your throat
So he doesn't want me to be an archer that uses a bow, nope, I have to be a crossbow user, also cold, loner, etc even when I put in my backstory my character is chipper and optimistic he mades me sound like a fucking dick every time I roll diplomacy and don't pass the DC.

So this is what you call stealing players agency? never happened in my life, I tried to talk to the DM but he keeps doing it and removing options for bows so I have to choose crossbows if I want to keep being useful, I'm thinking on leaving the game.
>>
>>44810577
Are you having fun?

Have you talked to the GM about it? Have you subverted the other players with your discontent to overthrowing the harsh tyrrany of that which would force you to use a crossbow instead of a bow?
>>
>>44806431
That sucks man. Maybe next time, if your GM starts being a dick, you should listen to him and stop being an edgelord furfag. You cunt.
>>
>that DM who plan everything and force players down a set storyline
I mean it could be fun at times but some improvisation skills are needed if you want to be a DM
>>
>>44810693
Is not only that he forces me to use a crossbow, but also that he's forcing a personality on my character, I don't want to be nothing personel, kid the dark and brooding crossbow user, specially not when my backstory and personality is the pole opposite.
>>
>>44806431
Werewolves are furfags 99% of the time. Ask him to let you prove that you're not one of them, basically. He's not wrong to make the assumption.

Point out to him that at least you didn't ask to be a Sergal.
>>
>>44806621
While I don't necessarily agree with your GM, you really shouldn't be trying to bring a vampire or werewolf into a normal game of D&D/pathfinder(this applies to most systems, really) and you have no right to bitch if the GM vetoes that character when you do. Not being able to travel during daytime, not being able to interact with people normally... It was not a vampire, but once I did allow a player to make a shadow fey who couldn't handle daylight and while there was nothing wrong with the character, it felt pretty confining not being able to have scenes take place outside during the day without excluding him and overall, the hassle was just not worth it. I haven't talked with the players about this issue, but I feel that the game would've turned out better if I hadn't opened the door to such characters.
>>
>>44807052
See >>44809182 and >>44810883

Vampires, werewolves and the like are just a pain in the ass for the GM and the other players 99% of the time, and not worth the hassle. The backstory, no matter how good, won't change that.
>>
>>44810747
Have you talked to your GM about it, though?
>>
>>44810747
Roll on out, nigga. Tell him to stop that shit, or walk. No more warnings. Fuck that bitch.
>>
>Playing a game of FATE where we're all people dragged into the modern age from different time periods
>one girl doesn't make it to character gen, she was a late addition
>everyone else makes their own characters, we end up with a balanced but combat weak party
>girl ahows up to next session
>it's her first dver RPG and she's excited
>GM decided that because she's late and the party needs balancing, that he'd make her character for her
>She obviously doesn't want to play the character GM made
>He spergs out and goes off about how if she'd made first session (which she physically couldn't) this wouldn'tve happened but that it's out of his hands now because thenparty needs balance
>she cries because she got her fun taken from her and now has either doesn't get to play at all or gets a character she hates
>eventually she calms down and leaves wordlessly
>DM says that clearly she was gonna be a stick-in-the-mud and the game's better off without her anyway
>don't turn up to next session

God, what an ass.
>>
>>44806621
>>44806431
Buzzword using GM are the worst.
>>
>>44814324
what about ones who play the cliche police?
>>
>>44814666
>what about ones who play the cliche police?
Even worse. Nobody CARES that you think TVTropes is the best thing ever to happen to fiction you idiot.
>>
>>44811321
>FATE
>Party balance
Eeeeh. That being said, I can kind of understand where he's coming from.
>>
>>44814771
And thats why I changed groups. Sometimes the young peasant boy who may or may not be a distant relation to a dead king isn't a bad story if told well.
>>
>>44811321
Why couldn't he just help her with the stats of a character that she wanted to make? What a faggot.
>>
File: Reallynowfaggot.jpg (85KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Reallynowfaggot.jpg
85KB, 500x500px
>>44814771
I've oft found the other side more trouble, the one that goes into a frothing spergrage if someone uses the word trope or whatever. Far more derailing.
>>
>>44814949
Indeed.
>>44815160
What can I say, everyone's got their issues.
>>
>>44815160
I find it annoying that there are entire sites dedicated to putting every idea into an organized and labeled box and taking away any originality or the specifics of context.

And what's wrong with a cliche, anyway? It's an old hat, but that doesn't make a horrible character, especially if it's done well and played straight.
>>
>write out barbarian character sheet for my first time with a new group
>DM rejects it, saying that it didn't fit the setting he was working on
>no biggie, made a monk and he was okay with it
>at the end of the second day the village our group is staying in gets attacked by barbarians
>their leader is literally my character with a slightly different name
>get railroaded into fighting my own first pick
>>
>>44811321
>bitch is late
>makes a fuss about her character

We have a rule in my groups. If a player is late, we play without them and disregard any of his wishes. If he doesn't come to a session because "reasons", we throw his character to any trap we can't disable.

Everyone comes in time, if you are a little bitch, you deserve anything you get.
>>
>>44815387
That's horrible, but it could have been awesome if he'd known what your character was like. Imagine being able to really fight your own character.
>>
>>44815303
NO ONE HAS SAID IT'S BAD YOU MASSIVE FAGGOT.

No one but you screaming about how people have.

The whole idea of the stupid site was to help categorize ideas and help writers. It's outgrown that use, and there's a lot of spegs on it now, but it's still of some worth.

Grouping things doesn't make them worse. That's just kneejerk for no reason.
>>
File: 1426675719586s.jpg (3KB, 94x125px) Image search: [Google]
1426675719586s.jpg
3KB, 94x125px
>>44815419
>>
>>44815568
That image is such an interesting read. Thank you for posting it.
>>
>>44810907
>>44810883
>>44809182
These guys have the right idea; vampires and werewolves are usually a hassle, and thus a DM is well within his rights to veto it.
However, I do think that rejecting it as "edgy" rather than over the difficulty it would create is a bit of a red flag. It's one thing to explain that a concept won't work within the setting of the quest, but quite another to denounce it entirely. Not a That DM, but definitely a bit of an asshole.
>>
Page 10 bump
>>
>>44808024
Calm down Coldsteel
>>
File: ararararagi.gif (142KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
ararararagi.gif
142KB, 500x281px
>>44808024
Modern vampire fiction is ambivalent at best about that. A lot of it is about vampires trying to integrate into human society and minimizing the amount of damage they cause. More than ever, the hunter narrative is about people who destroy monsters becoming monsters themselves. Whether or not vampire hunting is 100% morally correct and ethically imperative is up to the setting and the game's tone.

Even fucking anime has stories about good vampires trying to return to humanity now.
>>
>>44819313
What I don't get is why everybody blames Twilight for this shit, when everything since Nosferatu has massively fucked up what is considered the classic vampire of Drac.
>>
>>44820185
People make shit. Thats the problem. Not all people, but enough. Keep this in mind.
Twilight brought the idea that vampires and werewolves can be more than horror monsters. Some people, the shit makers, now know this is a thing. Now not only does everyone know this idea, the shitmakers do as well. Most people don't give two shits and they don't have an outlet for this. Those of us that do, the table top and rp community in general, can use this new dynamic and make grand stories from it. The shit makers make literal shit. Now why does 9 people making good stories and 1 ass making shit mean that shit is what we notice the most? The truth is shit stinks. It stinks so bad that no amount of sweet words from the 9/10ths will ever overpower the smell from one ass spewing constant shit. The real problem isn't even the shit but it is a big part. The real problem is the shitmakers think their shit smells as good as, if not better than, the sweet makers words and they want everyone to know this. So they go around and take a dump on everything you might even possibly look at just so they can be sure you see their piles of crap and know they're big shits and you should for some reason be proud of them for it.
>>
I want to tell a story that mixes in with my That DM story, but is also the revelation of the greatest plot twist I ever pulled in my sessions ever.

Now due to the nature of this twist and storytelling you will all figure thus out way before the grand reveal, but this twist was built up and revealed over the course of 6 months of weekly 4 to 6 hour sessions with the same group so it was way more out-of-nowhere than it might seem during the story. Anyways

>be college gm
>4th ed d&d
>power gaming Swordmage player, chaotic evil Dragonborn Avenger, Dwarf Rumepriest-of-no-real-significance
>party meet in tavern
>ccosmic evil unleashed
>It heads to a nearby abandoned castle
>castle is the headquarters of a 1000 year old Hag named Ollidivarra
>bbasic dungeon crawl, ends with a fight with the hag on top of the castle, party wins
>dragonborn asks for the hag's heart as his gift
>I consider it and agree with my own additions.

This addition became thst Ollidivarra's heart would actually be the party's first Major Magic Item (functionally it was a reskin of the Black Ioun Stone, a Paragon tier artifact with its own consciousness and ego floating behind the dragonborn's head granting damage boosts, etc. Since the party was like level 8 at the time it made the Avenger way more effective at his job of killing things.

Anyways the cosmic horror thing went into a portal at the hag's castle that lead the party into the Astral Plane.

Later...

>party is level ten, nearing paragon tier.
>FFinally hunt down the cosmic horror as its changing to its final form
>standard final fight on a big meteor in the Astral plane
>final blow smashes open the floor, party falls through
>reveal secret tomb housing an evil necromancer Blue Dracolich who is the next boss
>intentional party TPK
>I sell it like they totally fucked up at first but tell them after the session that I have plans for them

Boy did I ever. Cont.
>>
>>44822821

So my plan was for an abrupt time skip of an unspecified amount where the heroes all together and alive again would be trying to find this big bad dragon but in addition each player would get their own separate single player session where they essentially fought their way out of the afterlife, acquiring their paragon class along the way (I framed it as a chance for more in depth individual role playing going etc) Swordmage and rune priest had 1 session games that ended pretty succinctly but Dragonborn had a very different experience.

>dragonborn wakes up
>in hell
>has to break out of a prison in hell
>makes his way to the surface of Avernus
>fights his way through the eternal war zone
>manages to tame a Hellfire Drake, rides on its back
>crashes the drake into the top of the tower in the middle of Avernus where souls can be transported to and from the material realm
>is greeted by the Lord of Avernus
>Due to lore shenanigans I explain that in order to activate the portal and leave he must cut his own heart out of his chest and place it on the altar
>the fucker uses a daily ability to cause whatever damage he takes to pass to the Lord of Avernus, THEN cuts his own heart out and places it on the altar
>escapes hell

And that was when the first session of his trip ends. Meanwhile, the group as a whole continues their quest in the unspecified future, where Dragonborn no longer has his Hag Heart artifact. The player is confused but I keep telling him to just play his character as normal and his questions will soon be answered.

>next afterlife session
>dragonborn escapes hell but is instead transported to the Shadow fell
> he has no more physical body with which to return to (getting scorched by dragonfire tends to do that to you)
>has to find the desiccated hand of a God of Nature and Life to restore his physical body
>it's located in the Shadowfell
>goes hunting for it, all the while hunted by Nightwalkers and ghosts and shit
>session goes well

(Cont)
>>
>>44822821
>>44823433

By this point dragonborn player starts getting suspicious and aasks all the right questions because the group session before that I had mentioned that a key component in stopping the Dracolich and his growing undead army was the healing properties of that exact same Hand. He started asking all the right questions ("why don't I just produce the hand now?" "How far ahead in time are we?") And I offered all the shittiest dismissals ("you'll get it when you finish your resurrection quest!"). Things got further suspicious when the party discovered as a group that the Hand was actually STILL at a church on the Shadowfell. So the group finally got an airship (or whatever you call the Astral Plane boats) and headed off into the Shadowfell. This was an eventful trip which included such alarming incidents as the Dragonborn being attacked by an Angel for her crimes against all things holy. The session ended with the party entering the church in the Shadowfell.

>third and final resurrection quest session
>dragonborn enters the church pursued by Nightwalkers and demons, does a bunch of puzzles, enters the inner sanctum of the church, finds the Hand.
>touches the hand
>I describe in vivid detail the pain of having his entire body painfully regenerated nerve by nerve and passing out
>I abruptly end the session there with a congratulatory "You did it!"
>Player is confused as fuck

Back to the group session, the party wastes no time in fighting their way through the dilapidated church. The whole way through I describe the church, stressing the detail of every action the Dragonborn had previously done in this area including all the solved puzzles and every dead enemy up until lthe Inner Sanctum. The party nervously approaches the sanctum and opens the door to the Hand.

(To be concluded)
>>
>>44822821
>>44823433
>>44824044

So the party kicks open the door.

>you see the Hand on an altar in the middle of the room
>in the corner you see a collapsed figure shrouded in darkness
>Swordmage: I cautiously inspect the figure
>Me: "It's [Dragonborn's name]"
>whole group looked at me dumbfounded
>Runepriest: "But he's right there (pointing to Dragonborn's mini)
>Me: I never said that. Roll for initiative.

And there revealed my greatest twist of my dm career. There had been no time skip (at least, not by more than a day or so). Ollidivarra's heart had taken possession of the Dragonborn's corpse and reanimated and restored it through dark magic. She had been a spy for the Dracolich this whole time and the party had not only unwittingly lead her to the one weapon that could stop the Dracolich, the Dragonborn character had unwittingly controlled the bad guy for multiple sessions over the course of the past few months. The players had grown so complacent with their chaotic evil party member that they didn't even bat an eye when he was killing civilians and causing general panic or getting abruptly attacked by Angels.

The ensuing fight was pretty okay and ended as a climactic cap to the session with the heroes (and their newly resurrected dragonborn) plummeting to an uncertain fate at the hands of a revived Dragonborn Olidivarra clutching the Hand of the Nature God.

And that's where my whole campaign ended. You see, I had tricked the Dragonborn player this entire time and he was not happy with me. He wouldn't play after that session.

But in many ways I had betrayed the players by deceiving them this whole time . I had given them hints throughout the session, but those hints were few and far between and we're peppered with half truths and outright lies. In many ways although it is my favourite story of DM deceit, I still regret the whole situation.

And that is my That DM story.

Tl;dr Killed a 3 year campaign with a Shyamalan twist.
>>
>>44814771
One of game one of the people I play with has a really bad tendency to call out when people make references and/or use Tropes.
I'm fairly convinced he thinks that anything listed on TvTropes is original content and that no one ever named them or referenced them as tropes before the site was made.
He once Sperged out on me because I mentioned something and just passed off where it came from as "irrelevant to the conversation" when he called me out on saying It was from one thing I read when it had a TVtopes Page.
>>
>>44806891
>you're gonna end up staked faster than Drac.

Easy, bribe someone to use a hunting knife instead of a stake, turn to mistform and escape when they do it, giving the illusion that you died.

Just like Dracula.
>>
Our old gm used to write entire plot lines about hidden clues and certain things he knew about but we did not, then let us sit and slam our heads against the wall when we did not notice the 10th npc we talked to that day was speaking with a slightly different accent then the others.

There were no rolls involved and would throw a fit if we metagamed to get out of the 2 hour slump of trying to remember what he was trying to hint at.

Now me and another player usually gm and we have to stop him from trying to use out of character knowledge of monsters in books and other real world knowledge. I specifically stopped running modern/hard scifi games for the group because he wanted to argue about engineering and explosives in them when we tried to play.
>>
>>44824490
I think it was alright. I mean, an alright way to end the campaign. It's not like they are supposed to run forever. I mean it's not a great twist, but it was fine.

The only thing is how you handled the clues given to the players, a topic we know almost nothing about, aside from one player picking up the fact that he does not have an artifact he is supposed to have, and you dismissed him pretty much, instead of actually giving him a really simple answer of:

- You don't have this artifact
- Why?
- Because you didn't get it. Yet.

And then going from there, giving him vague, but correct answers, instead of shutting him up. Well, it's not like I've been at the session, so I suppose I don't really know how it all went down, hence the statement regarding my lack of information.
>>
>>44811321
The heck? Fate characters are extremely fast to make. I've made my last one (with a clear concept in mind, that I had beforehand, that I formed as soon as I've heard campaign synopsis) in about 15 minutes, 5 of which I was making a custom Survival skill, which FATE core does not have for some reason. I mean, with masters help she would've done it as fast, had he told her to come to the session like 20 minutes earlier not conflict would come to be.
>>
>Party member commits a crime
>Gets punished by NPC
>I talk to NPC, and when it comes up I more or less agree with the punishment
>NPC says I am evil for agreeing with it

I don't even
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.