[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Slice the Pie, Time to Die

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 41

File: one is the loneliest.jpg (610KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
one is the loneliest.jpg
610KB, 1920x1200px
Last Time, on Song of Swords:
New Edition of Ballad of the Laser Whales!
Laser Whales Fecht, Kane & Cistern vs the entire police department
Krajina Protectorate? Wait, do those mean the same thing?
Stone Age Weapons
Space Age Weapons
Kopeshes

Previous Thread: >>44687094

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .rar archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/12xqm1p2q69m392/Song_of_Swords.rar

Here's Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version: https://www.mediafire.com/?rtbjk51jnm2wv8a

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

You can't kill me, you fuckin cockaroaches, I'm the fucking Legend!
>>
1st for my waifu
>>
File: dear god.jpg (184KB, 843x443px) Image search: [Google]
dear god.jpg
184KB, 843x443px
>>44804871
Did we just watch 2 terrorists successfully escape justice via wanton killing of under prepared cops? What the fuck is Jimmy trying to say here?
>>
>>44805238
Given that they're about to get buttfucked by the SAS, I'm betting the moral is "there's always a bigger fish."
>>
File: Poison Dust, to Throw.jpg (88KB, 532x764px) Image search: [Google]
Poison Dust, to Throw.jpg
88KB, 532x764px
>>44805261
The moral is, you should have had assault rifles since you were not in a whalebone vessel.
>>
>>44804871
>Still calling CotV BotLW
That's not even the newest edition anymore, we need our copypasta fixed.
>>
>>44806521
Ballad of the Laser Whales is objectively the better name.
>>
>>44806521
I don't come to these threads often, just poke my head in to find out how the whole thing is coming, but I have to agree with >>44806706
Ballad of the Laser Whales sounds fucking metal, making it inherently superior to Call of the Void as a title.
>>
>>44807479
I believe the reasoning was that Ballad of the Laser Whales was too hype for the prissy steampunk geeks that Jimmy hopes to wring shekels from
>>
>>44807767
The answer is simple. Title it "Call of the Void; or Ballad Of The Laser Whales"

It's even more Steampunk now while still being metal.
>>
>>44808064
Or we let "Ballad of the Laser Whales remain a "muh secret club" nickname for it.
>>
>>44808243
>>44808064
Either way we should call it the same thing both times it's mentioned in the OP. It's just confusing otherwise.
>>
>>44805815
what the hell
was that a legit fencing technique?
poisoned pocket sand?
>>
File: Gimmick Weapon Blind Toss.png (232KB, 702x546px) Image search: [Google]
Gimmick Weapon Blind Toss.png
232KB, 702x546px
>>44810090
In short: Yes.
>>
File: abandon thread 2.gif (2MB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
abandon thread 2.gif
2MB, 400x220px
>>44804871
>filename

the feels
>>
>>44805238
Jimmy said he wanted to do a fecht based on a famous shootout between the police and the cops from the 1980s. To my understanding though, in that event the cops eventually killed the suspects, whereas this time Ornstein and Smough killed fucking everybody.
>>
So I did some research. The bittenfield is a 12+1 pistol so small it can be concealed in the sleeve of a jacket.

The only analogue for this I could find in the real world was the Glock 26, which is 10+1 and is really tiny, but still not as high-capacity as the bittenfield. That may be explainable by some sort of extended magazine or something I don't know.

Anyway the pocket hammerless is probably still undervalued in its conceal quality.
>>
File: Gurblesgun.png (208KB, 851x463px) Image search: [Google]
Gurblesgun.png
208KB, 851x463px
>>44804871
Why is this fucking gun in the game
>>
>>44812066
To kill tanks, and maybe small civilian voidships.
>>
File: 35ff64a0c9b7ef0c270a43a1c50d5b90.jpg (121KB, 948x1322px) Image search: [Google]
35ff64a0c9b7ef0c270a43a1c50d5b90.jpg
121KB, 948x1322px
Quiet quiet. Is there really nothing in the rules for Ballad to discuss?
>>
>>44812980
Well, it mostly worked to our advantage this time, but the defensive talents are hugely overpowered. We were basically invincible as long as we were in cover.
>>
File: Glock 26 magazine options.jpg (155KB, 736x521px) Image search: [Google]
Glock 26 magazine options.jpg
155KB, 736x521px
>>44811605
Second from right, bro.
It's one of the most common carry options for the 26 because it gives you somewhere to put your pinky for a slightly stronger grip.
>>
>>44813067
We should next have a fecht between one with those defenses against competent people.
>>
>>44813262
>G18+
>You know what this magazine needs?
>A place for your pinky at the bottom.
>>
>>44813427
I think on that it's just there to absorb some of the impact if you just drop the magazine on the floor hollywood style. You should ideally never do that, and always pocket your used magazines so you can reload them later, but sometimes shit happens.
>>
>>44813483
And here I was ready to go and buy one and use it like a fucking zweihander.

Swing, POW!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>44813262
As mentioned last thread, the P7 is also pretty tiny despite holding up to 13+1 rounds. Though still not exactly the kind of tiny you'd easily conceal up your sleeve. Unless you have really huge sleeves, I guess.
>>
File: OPERATING OPERATIONALLY.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
OPERATING OPERATIONALLY.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>44812066
>not wanting to operate with an AT rifle
how plebian
>>
>>44815956
>that chicklean
>>
>>44816222
I think if he leaned any less, he'd fall forwards.
>>
>>44812980
OK, is the Type 71 really supposed to have 8x22 ammo, or is that a typo? If it is, what are the stats of 8x22.
>>
>>44816308
That's pretty much the reason for ALL chickleans, anon. People chicklean because they aren't confident in their ability to hold the weapon steady while in a proper shooting stance.
Plain english? Yeah it looks impressive, but I'd be willing to put money that he wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
>>
>>44816718
Sure, chick leaning with a rifle or shotgun is funny and useless.

But you're not really saying that it's any way plausible to fire AT rifle from shoulder and actually hit things, right?

Complaining that someone is not firing AT gun with a good stance is a bit silly.

Next on the list: Shooting AK with a one hand, practical or practical?
>>
File: M82A2.jpg (136KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
M82A2.jpg
136KB, 580x386px
>>44816786
'Merica.
>>
>>44816718
At that point I don't think it's so much a question for holding it steady, but literally for not toppling over. If the centre of mass is moved beyond the support, you fall down. It's a simple matter of physics, doesn't matter how buff or capable you are.
>>
>>44816786
>Next on the list: Shooting AK with a one hand, practical or practical?
Well, considering that OH-58 aircrew have gotten kills with an M4 in one hand while using the other one to fly the chopper...?
>>
>>44813067
>the defensive talents are hugely overpowered. We were basically invincible as long as we were in cover.
That's intentional. Cover is OP in real life. Anyone who Aims for three turns will get enough dice to make hitting someone in cover with talents a distinct possibility.
>>
>>44818810
I wasn't in the fecht so I don't know how it went down, but an interesting fact about the North Hollywood Shootout. The cops finally managed to bring one of them (the one who didn't puss out like a bitch and kill himself) down by shooting under the car he was using as cover, taking his legs out from under him.
>>
>>44818810
But you can't have that! You've got to think of this in terms of it being a game; you'll just end up with PCs digging trenches everywhere to permanently give themselves a bonus, and that's not something people would do in real life. No, everything should be balanced.
>>
>>44818810
If they have the Wizard talent, it might as well be an automatic hit after 3 aims.
>>
Mat is an autist with no sense of humor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKcU7HmvZ4
>>
So this looks interesting, but how do I teach myself this system?
>>
>>44820038
To be fair to him, *loads* of people have taken it literally and think that's how it works.

Also we already knew that.
>>
>>44820116
Standard procedure is to ask someone in the roll20 room to teach you.
>>
>>44820161
Or to try and make a character. If any trouble happens, ask here.
>>
>>44820116
Read the book and ask here if you don't understand something.
>>
>>44820038
Man I like this guy but one day he's going to cut off one of his elephant ears with the sword he holds on his shoulder while gesticulating.
>>
>>44820038
What, Matt "Go Full Pedant" Easton is a bit pedantic? Call the presses, he's the hero we both need and deserve at /traditional "nowhere does it say how many limbs you have" games/.
>>
File: Vagabond_-_Volume_1.png (3MB, 1008x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Vagabond_-_Volume_1.png
3MB, 1008x1400px
Stat me, /SoS/.

Alternatively, stat me as a Krajini.
>>
>>44825276
nice taste anon

Str: 7
Agi: 8
End: 8
Hlt: 7
Wil: 9
Wit: 8
Int: 5
Per: 6

Calculate the compound stats yourself.
Boons:
Brave
Famous 1
Hale and Hearty 1
Natural Born Killer 2
Tall
Banes:
Enemies (I don't know, there's surely a lot of folks that hate him. The Yoshioka School, for example)
Poor
>>
>>44822247
Surely you mean Matt "Full Anal" Easton?
>>
>>44825276
Is there any other Manga as Song of Swords as Vagabond?
>>
>>44826010
Musashi pretty much embodies the whole concept of the game, so probably not.
>>
>>44819149
>you'll just end up with PCs digging trenches everywhere to permanently give themselves a bonus
No you won't, because moving is just as good as being in cover, if not better because you're mobile.
>>
>>44826010
I was giving it a read the other day, and I was kind of pleased when I saw that nearly everything in the manga can be easily translated into SoS. Like, every single move in every single fight.
It's great.
>>
>>44826940
I was watching Dimicator videos the other day, and I can't see how it would work in SoS. The bind rules suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dc3sFAJWk
>>
>>44827069
It's a bit wishy-washy, but what can you expect when you're coming up with a ruleset to encompass so many styles and weapons?
>>
File: Armour reaction face 156.jpg (38KB, 396x346px) Image search: [Google]
Armour reaction face 156.jpg
38KB, 396x346px
>>44826894
You can't move faster than several rifles. Especially when you're with several other people yourself.
>>
>>44827346
No, literally, moving at all gives you a Defense bonus equivalent to 50% cover, and the Talent line that increases that bonus is longer than the one that increases cover.

So if the choice is between 50% cover and simply loving, optimized characters are better off moving. 3/4ths cover is where it's at though.
>>
>>44826010
Knights is pretty SoS.
>>
>>44826010
Shigirui, once you start factoring in Esoterica.
>>
>>44826940
I'm reading it now after picking up an omnibus. It's remarkable how well it fits the tone of an SoS campaign, albeit with Musashi killing five guys at a time regularly using a Large Club. The only explanation I can muster is that he started the campaign with around 20 CP.
>>
>>44826486
He is the Patron Saint of Murderhobos.
>>
>>44829038
By that logic I guess Shamo is also rather SoS. The assholes also are SoS.
>>
Is Wolfsmund SoS?
>>
>>44832943
Wolfsmund was written into the game's setting, so yes.
>>
>>44832943
Just about to came to say that there's a new chapter of our favorite little castle waypoint. Didn't read it, or any of the chapters since last year. Don't want to get depressed over imaginary deaths any more.
>>
Jimmy! Are there any notable unarmed fighters in civilized Vosca, or are all the people who people think of as great weapon users like Kal'Ceska or Gizka? How would this guy in his prime fare against King? What about when he's using his weapons?
>>
>>44834550
Well, King, obviously.

But that's because King is a retard genius in fighting.

Everyone else is smart enough to have a weapon.
>>
>>44836497
Though really, with how ridiculous his Esoterica is, he doesn't even really need a weapon. The only thing that he wouldn't be able to just punch to death is somebody going full tin can, and against those he can just switch over to wrasslin.
>>
>>44836718
Wasn't his esoterica something along the lines of he can choose which type of damage he inflicts with each hit?

Like all of the martial arts of Hokuto No Ken compressed into one man?
>>
>>44836930
Exactly, yeah. If you give him steel gauntlets, his hands basically turn into swords.
>>
>>44837209
He's got spiked steel gauntlets. Even worse.
>>
File: waterfowl.gif (6MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waterfowl.gif
6MB, 480x360px
>>44836930
>tfw Gizka and King's relationship soured when he gently brushed her cheek and accidentally cut her face in half
>>
>>44833418
Didn't it end already lad?
>>
>>44825276
Oh shit, is that Musashi?
>>
>>44838066
yes lad
>>
Didn't Jimmy promise he'd do a King fecht months ago?
Didn't he promise he'd finish that one fecht with that dude who's name I can't even fucking remember anymore months ago?
>>
>>44839261
>believing his sweet lies
>>
>>44839261
>Didn't Jimmy promise he'd do a King fecht months ago?
>Didn't Jimmy promise
>Jimmy promise

there's your problem
>>
>>44839486
STILL waiting for the Lu Bu vs Gizka fecht
>>
>>44840151
Still waiting for the kickstarter.

You know what's funny?

My phone auto suggested "Australian" and "kickstarter" after "waiting for the".

No, no, that's sad, not funny.
>>
Strength (St)
Strength represents a character’s overall physical power and muscle mass. It plays a part in many physical skill checks as well as determining damage dealt in melee combat.

Agility (Ag)
Agility is a measure of a character’s nimbleness, balance, and hand-eye coordination. It is a frequent component in physical skill checks that require any kind of precision and plays a significant role in calculating a character’s combat prowess.

Stamina (Sm)
Stamina represents the general health and physical ruggedness of the character’s physique. Stamina governs everything from the ability to resist damage or toxins, to the capacity for healing, recovering from illness, and length at which a character may undertake strenuous activity before experiencing adverse effects.

Speed (Sp)
Speed represents the character’s ability to both project fast-twitch muscle force for motion as well as a measure of how quickly their body responds to and can carry out commands. It’s obvious uses plug into the Athletics skill, but it also is a key figure in reaction time, and plays a role in combat as well.

Acumen (Ac)
Acumen represents a character’s intelligence, reasoning and the ability to learn. Acumen is useful for any character type, but it is of particular importance for those who rely on knowledge-based or scholarly skills. Acumen also directly affects Perception.

Cunning (Cu)
Cunning represents a character’s quick thinking and mental resourcefulness. It governs awareness, intuition, and speed of thought. Cunning plays a part in many skill checks, but is also of particular importance in calculating Perception rolls and the character’s combat ability.

Willpower (Wp)
Willpower represents a character’s mental fortitude and self-discipline. It plays a key role in many resistance or discipline based checks, as well as some skill rolls.
>>
Social (Sc)
The Social attribute covers a number of related, but often hard to define elements. It is an overall representation of a character’s charisma, bearing, personal appeal and social intelligence. The Social attribute is invaluable for skill checks to influence, lead, bargain or manipulate. As well, a character’s interactions with others in the world may be influenced by their Social attribute, just as people tend to form opinions and biases quickly in the real world.

--

http://www.grandheresyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126
>Do you guys prefer to get the beta...sooner or later?
>>
why are bastardsfags shilling their game here?
>>
>>44840914
Because the extreme similarity in their origins with Sos, is imagine. We've certainly talked about them.
>>
>>44840914
Why wouldn't they be? We're here because we liked Riddle of Steel. They're making a game because they too liked Riddle of Steel.
>>
File: 1367144881317.png (70KB, 232x173px) Image search: [Google]
1367144881317.png
70KB, 232x173px
>>44840844
>all posts have to be approved by a moderator before becoming publicly visible
>>
>>44841205
Christ who even got time for that?
>>
>>44840844
Well, I look forward to seeing it. SoS is the horse I'm backing, but you can never go wrong with more games.
>>
>>44842418
If Builder turns out to be way better than SoS, I'm jumping ship.
>>
>>44842532
Anything is possible. They've certainly had the benefit of being able to watch SoS for years, so maybe they'll avoid some of the same pitfalls.
>>
>>44842532
>>44842418
More than likely I'm just going to unite the best aspects of both games into one. I'm looking more towards SoS right now because I like the tone and world they're going for more, and I like the design philosophy that Jimmy sometimes rambles before leaving to not work on the game or Kickstarter. Meanwhile there's some worrying things about Builder that need to be cleared up by actually looking at it. It may turn out to be better, but right now I'm primed to be with SoS. Maybe just because I have more experience with it.
>>
>>44842611
I don't think they've been paying attention to the other game's development at all. They seem to be taking radically different approaches to a lot of things, like their default TN and the weapon construction business. They're forging a new, untested, and possibly even more broken path.
>>
>>44842418
I'm with SoS mostly because I want to see more Laser Whales. IMO it's already a better game than SoS. At this point, Jimmy should be focusing on making SoS more like the parody game than vice versa.
>>
>>44804871
>Army of Two
Stat them in Laser Whales, /sos/.
>>
>>44839261
Tanner?
>>
>>44843806
Just two guys in Battle Plate.
>>
>>44842746
What in particular gets you more?
>>
>>44845798
Not him, but a functional multi-person initiative system is a huge fucking deal.
>>
>>44845798
To begin with, because it was made after SoS and all of the lessons seem to have been learned already, it feels a lot smoother. There are fewer vestigial systems, like Toughness. Proficiencies and Talents feel a lot tighter (though the lack of schools is a bit weird, I like it) and the initiative system for combat is a lot tighter. There also feels like there's more "space" with the ships. It was also the first magic system we got, however lackluster.

Another element is that my big attraction to SoS was Tattered Realms and all the weirdness of its lore. Laser Whales is sort of a continuation of that, but it applies it to a time period and a type of combat I like more. Guns and operators are more my speed than pollaxes and sallet helms. Not that those aren't cool.

Personally I think Laser Whales, if they ever try to make it a serious thing, is going to succeed to a far greater extent than SoS will. Just the name screams millennial appeal.
>>
>>44844374
Possibly.
Snapped some poor saps neck and then stuck in limbo forever. Just like the current Ballad fecht will be.
>>
>>44841205
>>44841480
> To protect this board from spam-bots, I have severely limited the features all newly registered users have access to. Each and every one of you needs to have your first post approved by a moderator before those limits are automatically lifted. As such, we encourage you to introduce yourself in this very thread -- bots are getting really good these days and posting something about your gaming background in a specific thread makes our canvasing job much, much easier.
> What all this means is that until you get approved, your submitted posts will NOT visible on the boards. Don't panic when that happens. Nothing is lost. I can easily approve them all.
http://grandheresyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1

Looks like that was just a way to control spam bots. Only the first post has to be approved, per the statement.

I remember reading somewhere on their forums that the first version was hit so hard by spam posts they had to wipe some stuff.
>>
>>44846394
Tanner's fecht did sort of enter limbo, but Kane and Isis are definitely going to get a continuation.
>>
>>44847177
Will you at least let Tanners tale rest and tell us how he ends up without us helping him along?
>>
>>44847247
That will be necessary at some point. We'll see.
>>
>>44846712
I wonder if the same fate has hit the Opaque forums.
>>
File: Western Rome.webm (3MB, 210x120px) Image search: [Google]
Western Rome.webm
3MB, 210x120px
>>44850072
>>
>>44850787
Historically accurate
>>
Ran a test combat for my players. I loved it, bit jerky cause we're new to the system. My players complained about the supposed book keeping. A real bother cause I found it great fun to run
>>
>>44851847
What did they mean by bookkeeping? Fatigue?
>>
>>44852496
Fatigue, blood loss, stun, pain. It's simple enough for me. I think they're just lazy
>>
>>44804871
What exactly is the story behind Reinhold and Ivan's shit? Apparently they're wanted for involvement in some sort of terrorist attack, but what was the Wire Street Massacre? Why did we jump from the police chasing them to the fucking SAS? Do the British not have a SWAT equivalent? It seems a bit extreme.
>>
>>44853615
Probably a reference to Cable Street, where half of South London showed up to rally against a fascist demonstration.

In this universe, it became a massacre... So probably Ren and Stimpy walked in and slaughtered a bunch of protesters.
>>
>>44853709
What fun people.
>>
>>44854850
They probably deserved in one way or another. I don't think Jimmy has either put or had us play as anyone unrepentantly bad.
>>
>>44855278
You know, except for the guy who killed Sulla and freed the physical manifestation of Really Bad Things.
>>
>>44855304
He was merely misguided and most likely not under the guidance of his own faculties. Either ours or someone elses, likely said manifestation. Reminds me of Ruin in it's own way.
>>
>>44855278
I'm going to guess that they probably didn't deserve it, but that Abbot and Costello had their reasons for shooting up a crowd that made it seem like a good idea at the time. He likes that sort of thing.

This is also Jimmy Rome's mind, where anti fascism protests likely escalate into three day police sieges and the Dacian government sends out ballots to hospitals because political parties kneecap their opponents to make it harder to get to a voting station. The demonstrators may have been crazy assholes too, really.
>>
File: 1331273342164.jpg (273KB, 587x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1331273342164.jpg
273KB, 587x1000px
So how dangerous is combat is CotV? And how necessary is a tactical map? Can you go all Hotline Miami on a building of people you mildly dislike or would you need to be one of the few Void Magicians or a user of The Five? How hard is it to be the protagonist of a John Woo movie?
>>
>>44856371
As we saw in the fecht, it's a really, really bad game to be a mook in, but it can be relatively safe if you have some good Talents or some body armor.

We did that fecht without any sort of visual aid and it went fine, but I think it'd play a lot better with one, since you could see better how you're flanking and outflanking and stuff.

Hotline Miami would be a bit tricky because melee looks like it might slow the game down a bit, but I think if you just kept it to the basics (attack/defend) it would be pretty easy.

>John Woo movie
We need a ruleset for rolling around on serving carts and sliding down rails, STAT.
>>
>>44856371
>So how dangerous is combat is CotV?
you're either 100% percent fine or 100% dead
at least, if you have no armor
>And how necessary is a tactical map?
very, much more than in sos
>Can you go all Hotline Miami on a building of people you mildly dislike or would you need to be one of the few Void Magicians or a user of The Five?
yup, m'lad, you can just gun down thousands of lads, but expect that you'll be using lots of grenades
>>
>>44858543
There is the 0 BS wound cap, which creates a small middle-ground.
>>
>>44856371
>CotV
It's Laser Whales god dammit!
>>
File: black keys.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
black keys.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
Stat the black keys, lads!
>>
>>44859077
Broken Fingers/10
>>
>>44859077
Glory: Rejoice!
>>
>>44859233
>>44859284
I wanted the weapons, lads.
Would some throwing swords do just fine? What do I do if I want to wield all three of them with one hand (assuming animu physics)
>>
>>44842418
> the horse I'm backing
Why do people do this? It makes perfect sense to like one game more than the other for design reasons, or you could "back" both games because you like them. why do people make it into weird teams?
>>
File: Ciel Black Keys.jpg (33KB, 440x476px) Image search: [Google]
Ciel Black Keys.jpg
33KB, 440x476px
>>44859077
CurrybuttDidItBetter/10.
>>
>>44859369
Pretty sure that's just how people are wired. Probably gives an evolutionary advantage to small groups, or something.
>>
>>44859077
Sellout/Music Label
>>
File: MAAAARS.png (700KB, 904x500px) Image search: [Google]
MAAAARS.png
700KB, 904x500px
>>44859586
Hellsing did it best. If you're gonna be stupid, go maximum stupid.
>>
>>44859315
The thing is that from just that picture you can't really get a good idea of what the weapon looks like, much less how it's supposed to be used. So far it looks something like a sidesword with a weird as fuck grip.
>>
>>44859828
Basically, they're used like giant, oversized throwing knives by the Catholic Church's "Executioners" (professional monster killers).
The actual big deal is that they can hurt vampires, and have some weird techniques that can be used with them, like pinning a dude in place by their shadow.
>>
>>44859954
In that case, I guess for melee combat you could probably take the profile of either the sidesword or espada ropera, but reduce the guard value to 1. For throwing, assuming they're balanced for it, take the profile of a thrown sword and reduce the MTN by 1, the damage by 1, and maybe increase the range by a bit.
>>
>>44860029
lad you're a life saver thank you
>>
>>44856371
As for the combat, you can get a sense of how dangerous it is by testing out a few situations.
- Your MP comes entirely from your proficiency
- The Base Defense (BD) for a human is 4
- Moving reduces your dice by 4 and increases your BD by 2
- Three successive Aim actions gives you +(6 + PER) dice, which is enough that you can expect to hit just about anything
- Your caliber determines your starting damage
- BS adds to damage
- If you only get 0 BS, you graze the target. You can't inflict higher than a level 1 on 0 BS no matter what gun you're using

Say you have two guys with 4 Pistol Prof, so they have 4 MP. They have C18 Streithammers, a pistol with MTN 7 firing 9mm. They stand 10m away and do Regular Shots, firing twice at each other. To hit each other, they'd need all of their dice to be successes - even then they'd only graze, and do at most a level 1 wound. If they move, their dice pools drop to 0, and BDs go up to 6. They certainly can't hit each other now.

The way around this is to Aim. This gives you more dice. With a simple binomial calculator like SmallRoller you can easily see how your hit chances change as your dice increase. If our pistol guys have 4 PER, then three Aim actions will raise their MP from 4 to 14. This gives them about a 21% chance to graze - and 31% chance to hit - a moving target with BD 6. So even when they spend 3 phases to aim and fire, their hit chances are not great against BD 6.
>>
>>44860660
Let's look at something else. 7.92x33mm is the weakest rifle cartridge. Suppose you get hit with one. The amount of damage inflicted will be 15 + 1 BS + 4 AP = 20. The AP applies only if you're wearing armor on the struck location. Say you're wearing AV 10 Battle Plate on the location. The damage inflicted is 20 - 10 AV = 10 -> level 5 wound. Clearly, basic Battle Plate is no protection against even the weakest rifle caliber.

Against AV 15 Heavy Battle Cuirass with Bulletproof, the damage inflicted is only 15 + 1 BS = 16. That will inflict only a level 1 wound, but that's because the shot got 1 BS. If it got 3 BS, it'd inflict a level 3 wound, and so on. So against rifles, only the heaviest armor will offer you any protection, and even then it is chancy protection. Thankfully you're not supposed to fight against rifles in Ballad, because you'll be on voidships.
>>
>>44859077
Shit like this being dumb as hell is exactly why I prefer SoS.
>>
>>44860677
And that's why cover is so damn important when fighting against rifles.

I mean, I hope people are recognizing this as a strength. Prior to modern bulletproofing, the weakest rifles could easily penetrate most available hard armor. Unless you were willing to go full NED KELLY on that shit (and that's easy GM fiat to work out), you don't stand a goddamn chance.

There's a reason gov'ts just saved money on armoring the majority of their infantry.
>>
>>44861066
Looking at the new rules, concealment is also really important. The enemy can't shoot you if he can't see you.
>>
>>44859798
Plus, Paladin Anderson used bayonets instead of generic swords.

Throwing bayonets.
>>
>>44862260
I wonder if anyone ever told him he was doing it wrong.

I wonder if they lived.
>>
>>44862260
>>44862562
Hey now, after all the point of a bayonet is that you can mount it on the end of your rifle to extend the reach of your stab. Anderson doesn't have a rifle, so in order to still extend the reach of his stab he just takes the only option available, throwing them. Everything working as intended, making the best of what's available.
>>
File: 1408510001814.jpg (125KB, 414x510px) Image search: [Google]
1408510001814.jpg
125KB, 414x510px
>>44862622
>mfw the party my players made is Angry Celt Alucard, Integra the Celtic Loli, Seras the Roman, Charisma-whore girl, Brienna of RomanTarth, and Gaius The Most Boring Legionnaire.

>mfw their collective accomplishments are rolling a pig around a pen further than some peasant, and cutting several angry villagers who were beating their employer literally in half

>mfw I don't know if they're playing SoS wrong or playing it way too right
>>
>>44858710
It's CotV:BotLW or if we're being really honest and going full acronym; CV:BLW while SoS would be SS.
>>
>>44863322
Ballad of the Laser Whales is the objectively superior option.
>>
>>44863322
Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection
>>
>>44863869
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance
>>
>>44863990
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2
>>
>>44864001
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning
>>
>>44864001
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Prequel
>>
>>44864017
>>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning: The Prequel: Part 1.
>>
>>44864054
>>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning: The Prequel: Part 1: Origins
>>
>>44864085
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning: The Prequel: Part 1: Origins: Fifth Edition
>>
>Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning: The Prequel: Part 1: Origins: Fifth Edition; Volume IX: Night Of The Day Of The Dawn Of The Son Of The Bride Of The Return Of The Revenge Of The Terror Of The Attack Of The Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating, Crawling, Alien, Zombified, Subhumanoid Kickstarter From Hell
>>
>>44864249
Song of Swords: Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales: Resurrection: Revengeance 2: The Reckoning: The Prequel: Part 1: Origins: Fifth Edition; Volume IX: Night Of The Day Of The Dawn Of The Son Of The Bride Of The Return Of The Revenge Of The Terror Of The Attack Of The Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating, Crawling, Alien, Zombified, Subhumanoid Kickstarter From Hell: The Movie
>>
Songs of Horses: Calling from beyond the Grave: A Ballad of Cadavers being Flogged
>>
>Song of Kickstarter Never
>>
>>44864457
How long have we been waiting now? Two years?
>>
>>44864613
Somewhere between two and three, yes.
>>
>>44864457
What's Jimmy even doing?
>>
>>44866245
young boys
>>
>>44866245
Constantly getting sodomized by Galt, Claymore, and Claymore's wife obviously.
>>
>>44825276
>Vagabond
Thanks for letting me know about this, /SoS/. It's pretty great.
>>
>>44866245
Ruling the skies
>>
>>44868247
I thought he was currently researching how to mountain climb up a Minotaurs abs so he could cut its throat.
>>
>>44868299
I'm grinding the shit out of Dragon's Dogma because it hit PC.

I was torn between Gizka and Eskarne for pawns, but there's no spear class (gay) so I had to make do.
>>
>>44868385
hey faggot r8 my husbando >>44859077
>>
>>44868445
Rejoice/10 with trait "Loved by the Hero(False)"
Out of standard F/SN your husbando rates at 2nd of 8 spots. Extended nasuverse drops him down at least 3 spots though.
>>
File: 1338835425406.png (144KB, 856x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1338835425406.png
144KB, 856x1200px
I just noticed that CotV and SoS don't really have poisons, Jimmy will you rectify this or will you leave it to the GM's discretion?
>>
>>44870631
You could probably do it as infection.
>>
>>44868385
I got that on PC because I have no non-Nintendo consoles.

It runs like shit. It's meant to run on a fucking toaster and it runs like shit.
>>
>>44871827
It appears that your PC is in fact a potato. Sorry you had to find out this way.
>>
>>44872421
It's not, that's the thing. I mean, it's an Alienware laptop from several years ago (i.e. when I was young enough to buy an Alienware laptop) but it *should* be able to run fucking DD:DA. It meets the requirements et al.
>>
>>44872615
I have a toaster and it runs DD:DA. But then again, it's not alienware toaster.
>>
>>44873160
Yeah, I'm pretty certain it's seriously messed up.

I mean, I was having framerate drops and screen tearing in fucking Undertale. And I didn't realise it because I was fighting Sans and thought it was part of his shtick.
>>
>>44873386
Screen tearing should usually be alleviated by enabling Vsync. As for framerate drops, first off try updating your drivers, and then check the hardware monitor to see if there's perhaps a bottleneck somewhere, possibly with the RAM or CPU load.
>>
>>44868385
>Not making Based Sulla as a warrior
>>
>>44870631
That dialogue's photoshopped in, right?
>>
Hey Jimmy, how much truth is there to The Da Vinci Code in actual Catholicism?
>>
>>44875937
A highly ranked source in the office of meum asinum has in fact confirmed that there's a lot more truth in the movie than you'd think.
>>
>>44875937
>Huu huu the Catholic Church created Racism
>The Catholic Church invented Sexism
>The Catholic Church invented Nationalism
>The Catholic Church did the dark ages huu
>Huu huu muh matriarchal religion

It's like 99% horseshit Tyson-tier falsehoods and 1% Vatican conspiracy. The reality is that if there were living descendants of Christ today, nobody would care and nothing would change.
>>
File: neil_degrasse_tyson_v6.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
neil_degrasse_tyson_v6.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>44875994
What you got against Tyson?
>>
File: The_King_of_Jordan_in_2013.jpg (1018KB, 2050x2752px) Image search: [Google]
The_King_of_Jordan_in_2013.jpg
1018KB, 2050x2752px
>>44875994
I dunno man the descendants of Muhammad are usually pretty big deals.
>>
File: one-punch-man.jpg (201KB, 780x718px) Image search: [Google]
one-punch-man.jpg
201KB, 780x718px
>>44876057
>Flunked out of uni by being a stupid alcoholic nigger
>Cried like a bitch about racism
>Gets a degree for bitching so loud
>Does nothing relevant in his field
>Becomes Meme Science Man
>Gets Isaac fucking Newton's birthday wrong while trying to burn Newton's religion

He's a stupid, ignorant know-nothing nigger who failed college and got a media job because some white liberals felt bad for him. He expresses a distaste for philosophy because he can't think. He is literally fed lines by a team of writers, every time he says something on his own he sounds like a stupid asshole.
>>
>>44876069
>Fly combat missions against ISIS
>Rule the actual Palestinian Kingdom
>Literally nothing wrong with the country
Jordan is based as fuck.
>>
File: Matt.png (52KB, 203x236px) Image search: [Google]
Matt.png
52KB, 203x236px
>>44876133
>>
>>44876133

Philosophy is pretty stupid though to be fair. Or at least most things that are passed as philosophy nowadays are, and a lot of the things passed as it oldendays too.
>>
>>44876741
Well to be Nietzsche did take to poor dear out back and shoot her some time ago.
>>
>>44876741
Everything is stupid. Every station in life is bedeviled by fools. Philosophy has the benefit of an ultra-competitive environment in a field where "winning" only satisfies the ego and holds no material value. Thus, it is free from outside interest, and only the strongest survive.
>>
>>44875994
Don't forget the part where a character who is an Englishman talks about "lol chevrons is dicks" in reference to military rank.
Even though the UK, and most other places that use chevrons, use downward facing ones. The upward pointing chevron is a pretty distinctly American thing, and only after 1903.
>>
>>44877330
Not even all branches of the US, I've seen downwards chevrons on the cops where I live.
>>
>>44877418
True, but cops don't fall under DoD.
Navy and Air Force us down-pointing too, though.
Upward pointing is basically only Army and Marines, and only here in burgerland.
>>
>>44876697
I think Viper might just be Matt Easton in blackface.
>>
File: 2015-01-29_00007.jpg (431KB, 1920x1028px) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-29_00007.jpg
431KB, 1920x1028px
Random vidja plug: Naval Action is about to launch into EA in two days. It's currently a pretty rough alpha (especially the UI is basic as fuck), but goddamn does it ever scratch that Hornblower itch like nothing else.
>>
>>44878946
Now if only it was in Void.
>>
>>44878946
Is that PC only?
>>
>>44880920
It is, yeah.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some osprey books that would give me a nice look into 13th century armor?
>>
>>44846712
If they're using PHPBB3 all they have to do is enable Q&A on registration. Stopped all the spambots for me.
>>
File: Cardinal-Dolan-500.jpg (100KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Cardinal-Dolan-500.jpg
100KB, 500x281px
>>44875937
Okay book, terrible movie. Factual errors abound.

The mythology is also mostly wrong, but it's full of interesting ideas. Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

The assertion that Opus Dei has fucking assassin-monks is pretty laughable. If anyone does, it's Cardinal Dolan, who I can confirm regularly storms heretic strongholds with a brigade of swiss mercenaries, like a much worse dressed Darth Vader.
>>
File: Death to America.jpg (508KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Death to America.jpg
508KB, 850x1200px
>>44875867
Yes, and I'm ashamed of you for not knowing the source already
>>
>>44883725
Jimmy

>>44853615
>>
I am still excited.
>>
You can't fool me with beautiful words like "kickstarter" and "soon" any longer, Jimmy!
>>
File: TV-101021.jpg (21KB, 520x300px) Image search: [Google]
TV-101021.jpg
21KB, 520x300px
>>44883725
Everybody knows that the actual hardcore order that you call for the black ops shit is the Pugnus Dei, anyways.
>>
File: 1438645892117.jpg (359KB, 600x851px) Image search: [Google]
1438645892117.jpg
359KB, 600x851px
>>44890382
Post more buff dudes so we can summon Jimmy and get him to yell stuff at us.
>>
File: 0365066_13327_MC_UTx360.jpg (30KB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
0365066_13327_MC_UTx360.jpg
30KB, 640x346px
>>44868385
Yeah Jimmy if you could just give me your Steam ID so I can rent your Gizka that would be great.
>>
>>44889712
You can fool me any time you like, Jimmy.
>>
>>44883725
Speaking of mythologies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhf-AcnIyw
>>
>>44893320
But you can make your own Gizka, anon.
>>
>>44897304
>making waifu pawns
Absolutely degenerate.
Do you really want to spend the rest of eternity on your own Butt Blasted Isle like Ashe/Daimon because you made a poor life choice?
>>
>>44893320
Literally just search Jimmy Rome. It's either him or a fucking sports host, and I doubt that guy plays Dragon's Dogma.
>>
Jimmy, what do communion wafers taste like? This is genuinely important to the campaign I'm running.
>>
>>44898458
>Jimmy, what do communion wafers taste like?
like an unsalted cracker because that's all they are
>>
>>44898458
Like bread. It's a piece of bread until you eat it. Then it's the body of Christ.
>>
>>44898458
They basically don't taste like anything. One step above eating paper. I mean, they're made of flour, starch, water and nothing else, plus there's barely anything to them.
>>
>>44898492
>>44898596
>>44899094
Good, so almonds and the like should definitely show up.
>>
>>44898596
man that moment where your mouth fills with blood and raw meat is the worst
>>
>>44899134
Fuck you, I love steak tartar.
>>
>>44898458
They really are not very nice tasteless and dry, one got cough in my throat once at communion I think it knew I was a secret Prodie!
>>
>>44899106
So, are the players the ones poisoning people, or are they the ones being poisoned?
>>
>>44901535
Being poisoned, although it's not the players themselves. It's their ward, who they're shepherding in order to get dynastic leverage (he's heir to a minor barony that one of the players is next in line to).
>>
>>44901719
I suppose for more general slow-acting poisons, you could just take the sepsis/infection rules and compress the timescale a bit to make it fit.
>>
>>44901719
>he's heir to a minor barony that one of the players is next in line to
So... will they actually be trying to prevent this poisoning?
>>
>>44902506
Even odds that the player mentioned is responsible for it.
>>
>>44902561
>>44901719
Said that the players aren't responsible, and I presume that includes independent action by individual players. So it's probably someone else.
I'd be willing to bet that 'someone else' is someone the players really dislike, though. Allow it to go through, then point the grieving baron at the technically guilty party... it's win-win.
>>
>>44902506
I hope so. Because the whole point of it is to make it look like the players poisoned him. Which will allow the third-in-line (plus other nobles) to seize the barony and prevent the player(s) from gaining a voting foothold into the state. The third-in-line doesn't actually care about the ward, see, and the players can't actually take advantage of the barony if they were to gain it (they're too far away and while they're relatively powerful mercenaries, they fear a noble faction forming).

If you want to know why the local nobles are so focused on keeping the player out, it's because there's a lot of class tension going on already; let a burger become nobility right now and anyone might cut out a slice of the pie. The first-prince-elected is turning a blind eye because the player's tangentially related to nobility in a very rival country; he fears its use as a means of controlling his state via vote.
>>
>>44902775
You're definitely doing SoS right.
>>
>>44902775
So is the player a Burgher, or is the ward?
>>
>>44903459
Player. Ward is a legit noble, if minor. He's also like fifteen. And, perhaps, could become something more important.
>>
>>44902775
Sounds fun as hell. What setting are you playing, historical?
>>
>>44904091
Inspired by history, but definitely fantasy. The country in question is a small-ish border state in between one huge expansionist not!Polish commonwealth that would very much like to puppet them in order to threaten the large tribal confederation of Russian/Sumerians (imagine the Akkadians invaded the Kievan Rus with shadow daemons) on their other border. They combine the fiercely democratic nature of the not!Poles (along with their ancient imperial longings) with the Slavic shadow-worshipping culture of the confederates. Which it is informally a part of.

The players themselves are Arabic militia-mercenaries from not!Italy.
>>
>>44904536
How the hell did one of them get in line for a Barony?
>>
>>44905174
The Arabic guys have Genoese style trading colonies. Some are in the north. The heir lived in one of these, and joined the Arab-Genoans in order to make *some* name for himself. He's also from the nearer not!Poland. So it's more that one of the Russians ended up becoming a mercenary. That said, the Arabitalians are prestigious enough that one of their magnates could have married into the royal line.
>>
>>44905295
How's the system handling all the politics? As far as I know this is one of the first games of this type anyone has run in the system.
>>
It's not like I wanted a Room Temperature Puzzle this week Jimbo.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP89o3lwgjU

Sempai is answering questions! What should we ask?
>>
>>44853615
The Wire Street Massacre was a disaster that occurred in Albion six days prior to the events of the Fecht.

Basically it was a demonstration by Albish fascists to try and capitalize on an ascendant ultranationalist movement in the country. It was protested by a very large antifascist group, and the protest turned violent.

Reinhold and Ivan were ostensibly a security detail for Harland Burrows, the leader of the party, but they were in fact hired by the Abwehr to massacre the protestors when things turned violent, as a cover for the assassination of two members of parliament who were attending the protest.

The street itself was essentially a cul de sac, and the congestion created by the protest made escape impossible. Kane operated a BZK-303 placed in a strategic location at the event, and Ivan performed the actual assassinations with an M28 from a balcony overlooking the scene.

Hundreds were killed either by gunfire or by trampling, in addition to the actual targets. Burrows and his men were among those slain by the fire, confusing authorities as to the nature of the attack.

They almost got away with it as well--unfortunately for them Albish Intelligence were able to form a composite sketch of Kane from witnesses, and he had already been on a watchlist because of his Chironic ancestry.

The question now is whether they'll be able to make it to their escape ship before the SNS kills them.
>>
>>44913489
>The question now is whether they'll be able to make it to their escape ship before the SNS kills them.
What, so the Navy proper can kill them instead?
>>
>>44913536
Their odds have diminished significantly, but they have the benefit of chaos on their side, and an unusual escape method. Only time will tell if they can actually pull it off.

The odds are bad of them even making it to the shore, though.
>>
>>44913489
So they gunned down a crowd of innocent people as cover to kill two other innocent people?

Our heroes ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>44913822
>MPs
>innocent
>>
File: THE Operators.jpg (520KB, 566x720px) Image search: [Google]
THE Operators.jpg
520KB, 566x720px
Stat these two gentlemen in Laser Whales.
>>
>>44914332
Reinhold and Ivan, except good guys instead of terrorists.
>>
>>44897981
I hadn't thought of that and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

>>44913739
Yo Jimmy, I need your oawns stats so I can find her in the Rift because apparently being able to search by name/steam ID was too much for them to put in.
>>
>>44915236
Jimmy Rome is right. Anyone who wants to friend me, go ahead. You'll get to see how long I spend playing Guns of Icarus and Atilla instead of doing my actual job.

As for Gizka, she's a level 48 fighter. I think she's a Scather, which felt really appropriate thematically and is also the best option for a fighter.

I play a Ranger because magic is for fags, but an advice to you guys who play shit that sucks: Don't get High Anodyne. The extra two seconds isn't worth the healing bonus.
>>
>>44907436
Huh? It's basically all I've been running. The game was pretty much made for political games. The whole point is to deal with your enemies as safely and surely as possible.
>>
Hey guys I was wondering how many of you have used the sysem (either SoS or BotLW) for your own settings, how did it go?

>>44915397
Your a pretty cool guy Jimmy.
>>
>>44915594
Went fine. It's by necessity very setting agnostic. Probably only really works for realistic-type settings, though.
>>
>>44915667
I've been working on a DS inspired sitting that takes place in the afterlife centred around the ruined City of the Gods. Just waiting for monster and magic rules before I try and mash them together.

Care to tell me more about your own setting?
>>
>>44915397
Note that you can actually get a pretty sweet rapier as a fighter weapon for her, though only through a quest with a variable outcome. You can get it soon after you're allowed into the castle. Slight spoilers: It's the one involving Ser Mercedes. Make sure not to interfere in the duel at all to get the rapier, as otherwise you'll only get a cutlass.
>>
File: Revolutionary Bull Stratocrats.png (4MB, 1151x1668px) Image search: [Google]
Revolutionary Bull Stratocrats.png
4MB, 1151x1668px
>>44915763
Your setting sounds cool. How do you deal with the high combat fatality rate in a DS inspired setting? Do you have a "respawn" deal, or do you just let your players roll up new characters? What's the focus going to be -- combat, exploration, base-building politics?

Mine's the communion wafer one, if you want to read about it. I also post in the worldbuilding threads and on /r/worldbuilding. It's pretty much totally fantastical (it's not a distorted historical Earth á la WHFB and Tattered Realms) but it is heavily inspired by things from history. It's best described as unending masturbatory Realpolitik. It contains such marvels as a Wakou HRE and Turkish Communists.

You could always jerry-rig your own magic rules. It's what I did; right now a hell of a lot of it comes down to GM discretion, though. Thinking about cleaning it up a bit to be more mechanical and then releasing it in case anyone else wants to try it.

I also made my own monster hunter rules. Basically it boiled down to making each monster its own puzzle, with lots of skill checks to do stuff like climb into their mouths to blow shit up, and special woundable areas not covered by armour.

I'm waiting for CotV to polish up a bit so I can use it in my magical singularity Stalingrad setting (the future of the above setting). This seems to be the part of the setting that most people actually think is best, so I can't wait for the thing to be decently playable (I'll need to make some adjustments).
>>
>>44915918
>Turkish Communists

Ottoman Communists actually happened in the 15th century, funny enough. Mehmed I and his son, Murad II, had to deal with the rebels.
>>
>>44915918
Your setting sounds cool anon, I'll check it out.

As for the player death issue I was thinking of going the respawn route with cumulative negative modifiers each time they die. Maybe hand out/create banes that will restrict or dictate how their character will act to a small extent. Of course this will get to a point where the character is fairly far removed from the original idea that he/she is no longer really the same person and at this time I would consider the character dead as they've pretty much just 'Hollowed'.

When the gods died the land became barren and the skies filled with clouds so dark no one remembers the last time that there was light. This ofcourse has led to the madness that grips the living inhabitants of the city. Finding anything colorful/alive like a flower or a beautiful dress reminds the characters of how they are and this will remove the negative side effects of death. Fulfilling character goals will also help with this where as failing will add more banes/restrictions.

I'm wanting this to be really character driven and my games to really focus on the goals the players have set for their characters, anything ranging from finding the corpse of the god they worshiped in life to finding their childhood sweetheart that passed away moments before them.

This is all still very WiP and a lot has to be iron and hashed out but hopefully this gives a good idea of what I'm trying to go for.
>>
>>44916918
>As for the player death issue I was thinking of going the respawn route with cumulative negative modifiers each time they die. Maybe hand out/create banes that will restrict or dictate how their character will act to a small extent.
That's a pretty damn good idea. Especially the hollowed thing. D'you mind if I steal it?

How do you control when players find something colourful? Is it used as a reward for exploration, or do you drop it in when you think they deserve it?

It looks like a very good setting so far, anon. Are monsters going to be the primary enemies? How do you think the players are going to react, given that SoS is mostly about making sure that by the time you're in combat you've already won?
>>
>>44914332
>lackingbeard/10
>nohulkbulkhuge/10
>upside-down knives bonus: 0
>>
>>44915594
Running a mid 19th century fantasy game atm lad. Works fine.
>>
So are the Zells ever going to get a less tongue in cheek description in Laser Whales?
>>
>>44918492
The game has memes built into it, what do you think.
>>
>>44916967
As far as the colored items go I will probably treat them as high end loot drops. Something an important NPC might have on them or something gained at the crescendo of a long quest. Something like that.

Because the creatures were created by the gods for specific tasks I want them to be in areas that make sense for them. Harpies in the messenger tower or werewolves guarding some divine estate. Unless the players are traveling to areas that house these creatures I don't expect them to run across them too often.

Primary antagonists will mostly be NPC's and the insane/undead that wander the city.

I want to include pockets of supporting NPC'c, much like the Firelink Shrine area in DS, these places will be quest and trade hubs where the players can learn information about the surrounding area including what enemies may be where. I'm also planning on notes, maps and journals scavenged from the insane to play a role in the game. Hopefully enough information will be floating around for them to be able to plan ahead and tip the balance in their favor.

All in all it will be a very sandboxy campaign driven by the players.
>>
So, let's talk about SoS's skill system for a bit. It tends to get lost next to the focus on combat, but given how combat in archetypical SoS campaigns tends to be a rare (though important) occurrence, the skill system probably sees as much or even more use than the combat system. That kind of highlights the problem that the skill system is kind of not very good. Now, it's functional and generally serviceable, but at the same time it's pretty unwieldy and inelegant. You have 26 skills in total, each of them with a possible 10 ranks and its own unique set of RS allocations. It tends to prolong chargen quite a bit, since even with skill packets you have to juggle a whole lot of things until you're all done. Also, the high degree of granularity somewhat reduces the feeling of progression you get out of character advancement. Adding a point or two here and there just doesn't feel like much of an achievement. And on a minor note, it takes up a boatload of space on a charsheet.

So, what could be done about it? The system as a whole doesn't need to be fundamentally changed, but it does seem like there's some room for optimisation. Some ideas:

-Standardise the shit out of skill test RS values and bonuses. One table for basic difficulties (e.g. "routine" - 1 RS; "extremely difficult" - 5 RS), and maybe a second table for classifying possible bonuses/maluses from circumstances or items.
-Skills have fewer ranks but each rank has a greater effect.
-Fold some of the skills into each other. Athletics, Climbing, and Swimming don't seem like they'd absolutely need to be separate skills.
-Perhaps even go a bit more free-form with the system. Consolidate the current skills into much fewer and rather broad categories, and then allow players to pick their own specialties (which offer a significant bonus) once they've invested enough. E.g. there might one generic "Expression" skill, and one player may opt to make bluffing their specialty, while another takes something like singing.
>>
>>44919921
What bothers me the most about the skill system is how it throws the entire PCP idea out of whack. A single point of PCP is supposed to be of a standard value, and with the current chargen system, it isn't. Skills are woefully underrepresented in chargen, gaining only a paltry THREE INDIVIDUAL DICE per PCP that must be allocated among different, discrete checks.
Whereas Attributes are fucking rolling in new dice per PCP (though it has its own inherent problem of having a fucking geometric power progression while everything else is roughly linear).
I think that Skills would get more love if people could actually have Skills at chargen.

As to the Skills system itself, I feel like the skills do need further refinement and definition. There are quite a few currently (and this is a crunchy system), with references to the nonexistent Leadership skill persist in the books, and other confounding things

I think it could do with some standardization, yeah, but then we run into issues of different Attribute values scaling at different rates while Skills all scale the same- and both are used to calculate the skill pool.
>>
anime
>>
>>44920112
I've been homebrewing Skill Packets back in to make skills a bit more attractive. You pick five skills, sometimes choosing the same skill multiple times, and level them all up by 1 in exchange for 3 points. It's a tiny fix but at least it adds some meat to Character Creation.

Boons and Banes should probably be toned down a tiny bit when it comes to skills. Charisma based skills especially. By daisy chaining Beautiful, Known for Virtue, the various voices, and high Charisma, you can get 20+ dice right off the bat. Nobody can stand up to that unless you start making the RS for Charisma rolls a person's raw Will rather than an opposed roll, and even then a good diplomancer is going to reign supreme.
>>
>>44920624
I continue to remain absolutely bewildered as to why Opaque buffed Charisma with the last release.
>>
>>44918492
The Laser Whales description seems pretty straightforward. It's actually more intelligible than the sentient bees thing.
>>
>>44804871
Summarize the combat rules of this game in 10 lines or less.
>>
>>44921829
Poker.
>>
>>44921829
You have a dude.
The other guy has a dude.
You have a pool of dice.
They have a pool of dice.
Someone gets initiative.
Guy with initiative puts X dice into an attack.
Guy without puts Y dice into a defence/counter attack.
Someone dies or maybe not.
Someone ends up with the initiative.
Repeat from six once, then everyone gets their dice back and repeat from six again till someone dies or can't fight getting dice back every second time.

It's real simple.
>>
>>44921829
Combatants have a combat pool of dice (the size of which depends on their stats) that serves as the primary resource during combat. They spend a freely chosen amount of these dice on a variety of maneuvers to either harm the enemy or protect themselves. For resolution, the dice that were spent are rolled and successes counted just like in most other dice-pool systems. The combat pool refreshes every other round, meaning that expenditure of dice has to be carefully managed so as not to overspend and end up defenseless.
>>
>>44921829
A fight happens.
The combatants throw dice of different colors to determine who is offensive and who is defensive.
Offensive combatants declare maneuvers with a number of dice from their Combat Pool.
Defensive combatants declare maneuvers with a number of dice from their Combat Pool.
Both sides roll the number of dice declared at a TN determined by their weapon and the maneuver.
Whoever gets more successes wins. The attack hits, or the defender defends.
This is an "Action." After two Actions, the Round is over and a new one begins, refreshing Combat Pool.
Continue until someone dies.
Wounds reduce Combat Pool or inflict Bloodloss or other ailments that can eventually kill.
>>
>>44921963
>>44921970
>>44921973
alright, thanks
>>
>>44919921
Shouldn't you be able to perform routine tasks without rolling though?
>>
>>44922182
No? What do you mean by "routine"?
>>
>>44922058
You here to join in the fun Anon?

Your friend send you here?

You just like swords?
>>
>>44922219
I'm just a fag who sucks dick for fun.
>>
>>44922273
JIMMY!!
>>
>>44922211
Well, for me routine means getting out of bed and having a shower, everyday stuff. If I did daily/bi-daily exercise that would be routine and probably not worth rolling for. Y'know, like the definition of the word routine. I'd make them roll for that stuff in the middle of a raid/other stressful situation probably not, except for the exercise but at minimum I'd make people roll for dangerous, or uncommon/precise activities like mountain climbing without kit, sailing in a storm or combing dangerous reagents into a potion.
>>
>>44922389
I thought it was standard RPG procedure to only roll for things in which there is both a reasonable chance of failure and for which success or failure has consequences.
>>
>>44923162
Only for good GMs.
>>
>>44922389
Yeah, I was thinking "routine" in the sense of being routine for an average practitioner of the skill in question. So something like applying a simple pressure bandage would be perfectly routine for a field medic, and usually something that needn't be rolled for. But then that field medic gets himself shot, so now the rookie with no medical training whatsoever has to apply the bandage. To make matters worse he himself is also lightly wounded, and there's people shooting at him and oh my god there's blood everywhere, and suddenly the usually routine task carries a distinct chance of failure and can reasonably be considered something you should roll for.
>>
>>44919921
The number of available skills does not offend me, but the cost of becoming skilled does. The uses and implementations of all the skills are also not entirely clear yet - some aren't even written yet, after all.

I wonder if the system wouldn't benefit, in the long run, from a more ... involved? method of resolving checks. Something to make it more interesting that just passing a test. At the very least, it should more emphasize that rolled successes are just that: successes; maybe the character didn't roll well enough to perform completely, but that doesn't mean they fail absolutely, does it?
>>
>>44925461
The sliding scale of failure-to-success being enshrined in the rules is always welcome, one of my least favourite thins about RPGs is the tendency in certain groups to treat success of any degree as a grand achievement and failure of any degree as an embarrassing defeat.
>>
>>44913489
>Abwehr
Wait, Nazis? Why did the Nazis hire two guys to slaughter a bunch of fascists? Isn't that sort of counterproductive?
>>
>>44925653
No no, they slaughtered the people protesting against the fascist gathering as cover for assassinating the two MPs.
>>
>>44925738
They also killed the leader of the fascists, who they were officially supposed to be protecting. But I guess that just makes it a false-flag. Maybe it's supposed to look like some Antifas got carried away and killed a bunch of innocent people while trying to get to Not!Mosley.
>>
>>44917064
Carrying knives aviator style is fucking stupid unless you're an aviator.
>>
>>44923162
Normally yes, but this is the birthplace of "What do you mean I need limbs to grapple" and other such bouts of foolishness.
>>
We're on version 1.9.9 of SoS, right?
>>
>>44929574
Yeah. We hit 2.0 as we go to KS when the Australian pulls her thumb out and does the editing.
>>
>>44927694
What do you expect? They're Cananadans.
>>
>>44929574
Does anyone have an up to date Longsword Jobber paste2?
>>
>>44931552
Bitch I'll rape you don't you disrespect God's own nation
>>
Does anyone know where it states how much Brass Knuckles are?
>>
So are we ever going to find out what that Ruvian unleashed and killed Sulla over?
>>
>>44933265
SoS is never going to top that fecht. Nothing will.
>>
>>44933265
'no'
>>
>>44933423
Know what I think would top it? A one sided perspective of a Voscan exploring some foreign state, like Tattered Realms China or Tattered Realms Japan or Tattered Realms Aztec Empire. It would quickly became a bunch of weird, horrific, and unexplained shit popping off all around the character with both him and us being equally confused.
>>
>>44932368
Nobody here is badmouthing Serbia.
>>
>>44925461
>>44925602
On that note, I've recently been introduced to a couple of systems that separate occurrence of success and quality of success in a pretty simple yet effective way. They both use d6 dice pools, and determine the basic question of success vs. failure the usual way (one counts successes, one takes the sum of the dice results). Then if and only if you do succeed the test, you count the number of individual 6s rolled to determine the quality of that success. No 6s mean it's a regular and unremarkable success, one means a good one that will get you some extra goodies, and two or more usually mean something really outstanding. Personally I find this to be a very good mix, since you still have the ease of use of a dicepool system, while at the same time also getting some extra anticipation and variance from what's essentially a critical hit.

Now, I dunno whether that'd work well with a d10 system (though we do generally have fairly large pools), or whether it'd even be useful since we already have quality of success represented by BS. But perhaps it's something to consider?
>>
>>44934647
God's Kingdom is Serbia. His own country is Canada.
>>
>>44935446
I don't think this would work, since SoS difficulty doesn't change how many dice you roll. Mostly. You'd need to count successes over the RS.
>>
>>44932368
>>44934647
>>44937575
You all fucking disgust me. God has only one kingdom and we are all in it.

I bet you're fucking Catholics too.
>>
>>44937821
Forgive him, Galt, for he knows not what he does.
>>
>>44937821
> God has only one kingdom
Kolob?
>>
>>44937870
I know what I do. How could I not? God's own spirit resides within me.
>>
>>44938404
>God's own spirit resides within me.

That's a strange name to give to a dick.
>>
>>44938419
I already told you I'm not Catholic.
>>
>>44937821
>Kingdom
We were talking about countries. Learn to nation-state, laddy.
>>
>>44938597
>he's never heard the phrase "the Kingdom of God"
I think you dropped your third chromosome, buddy.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.