[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tales of D&D guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

File: gurps4e800.jpg.gif (208KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gurps4e800.jpg.gif
208KB, 800x600px
> Start GURPS campaign bc D&D can suck my balls desu senpai
> nothing against D&D if you're into that sort of thing, just find it too restrictive and streamlined for cheap high fantasy crap with no depth and if you like it after having tried GURPS you are a pleb
> all new players, except one guy who has played D&D in the past
> probably only majority female group in the world
> intro adventure with pre-generated characters because I don't expect people who want to "give it a try" to read 600 pages.
> D&D guy picks character with a secret
> I hand him the secret on a separate sheet, tell him not to tell any of the other players
> proceeds to read it out loud to everyone with a grin that would make the Joker jealous
> niggah why
> we play a starter adventure with no magic and focusing on RP rather than combat so as to go easy on the newbies
> fight scene comes along
> D&D guy's warrior character slays three bandits in a couple of turns because he gave RNGsus a blowjob
> rest of bandits flee
> „Why are they running?“
> well niggah imagine they guy you just tried to rob for food turns out to be the fucking terminator
> „But Bandits are evil, they don't care about that, they just want to kill us!“
> want to cry

cont.
>>
OP here.
> People enjoyed intro adventure, almost everyone comes over for actual campaign, willing to put in more work
> D&D guy also sticks around
> campaign is set in fantasy world because players expect it, but with highly individual spin
> nocturnal red-eyed nigger dwarves, bulky ginger elves, walrus people, magitech, necromany is good bc free labour, shit like that
> this time, players get to make their own characters
> everyone makes brilliant fucking characters, well thought out, fitting to the setting, believable
> everyone except D&D guy
> he hands in his character sheet with a grin bigger than the circumference of his head
> min-maxed super-warrior by taking disatvantages not even relevant to the setting
> "Phobia: Automobiles", "Enemy: President of the USA"
> say no
> "But all of this is in the rulebook, so it's allowed."
> u trollin' niggah?
> say I'm GM and I can drop an anvil on him if I so desire
> "Come on, the GM can't just cheat by making the players weak."
> tell him to make proper character or leave
> he does and everything is fine
> play starts, characters meet, begin getting involved with criminal underworld and religious crusade
> racial conflict, politics, powerplay, people are immersing themselves in the world I created
> great time
> second play session, D&D guy asks when we're actually going to start the adventure
> ask what he means
> "well, we're still in the starting city and haven't been to a single dungeon. This acting like our characters thing is kinda boring desu. We already did that in the intro adventure"
> it starts to dawn on me
> this guy has never played an RPG, he's only played D&D as a dungeon crawler
> session ends

cont.
>>
> got to pub on weekend, tell D&D guy about a character they might meet bc drunk.
> major questgiver, key character in the plot, even alluded to the type of quest he would give the players
> "well, if he appears, I'll just attack him“
> with a grin bigger greater than the amount of weight Hitler helped the jews lose
> assume he was joking
> forget
> two sessions later, the group meets said NPC
> as soon as I'm done describing him, D&D guy says „I attack him!“ with a grin longer than all the nigger dicks in the Bronx put in a line
> ask why
> „I told you I would do it, remember?“
> ask if he is sure he wants to do that
> „of course. I always keep my promises.“
> worst part is: his character actually does, so I guess he thinks this is also good RP or something
> specifically recommend he not do it, he insists
> you forgot the anvil, niggah
> pretend to roll dice
> his character starts having a seizure
> actually saved by the guy he just wanted to kill, but permanent brain damage
> lower his IQ by 2, give him Gullible disatvantage
> he actually thinks this is unfair
>>
next story

> It's D&D guy's happy day
> we're actually going on a dungeon crawl
> worked on this thing for over a month
> time-space rifts have opened in the catacombs
> highly complex shit
> portals going to other worlds and leading back into the catacombs, alternate timelines, paradoxes, scenes in the future and past of the city
> fight against cannibal barbarians in one room, cunts with revolvers in the next
> amazing puzzles, playing around with time dilation mechanics
> group is really engaged in cracking them
> group, but not D&D guy
> „Honestly, I never even liked the puzzles in D&D. Killing stuff is much more fun.“
> he didn't even play D&D as a dungeon crawler, he essentially wants it to be a hack'n'slay
> ask myself why I expected this guy to be the diamond of the group
>>
last story

> group slays final boss (mindless creature that formed from different worlds like a snowball would for when rolled down a snowy hill in a cartoon)
> everyone gets awesome gear that is ideal for their characters
> D&D guy gets a ring that removes the penalties of his brain damage and makes his mind reading-proof
> girl who has done amazing RP and essentially lead the group through the campaign gets special gift
> enchanted saber that slows down time and does loads of damage
> D&D guy wants the saber
> tell him he has literally no saber skill and the saber is soulbound anyway (because I'm the GM and I can decide that), just like his ring
> „Well, any magic can be broken, so I'll find a way around it. Plus, I'll just buy a high saber skill with the character points I'm about to get.“
> grin wider than Belladonna's cunt
> does this guy still not understand how this game works?
> tell him no
> proceeds to attack girl who got saber
> decide to roll with it, teach him a lesson
> entire group pissed off, joins saber girl against him
> fighting ensues, he actually seems to enjoy it
> his character dies, he doesn't seem to care
> ask him to hand in his character sheet
> looks confused
> goes on to tell me how he expected to be resurrected
> apparently, his D&D DM would always have them fight over the loot at the end of a dungeon crawl and the last man standing could keep or give out shit however he pleased, then everyone got fully healed
> D&D guy thinks this is how RPGs work
> I say no, your character is dead
> D&D guy flips shit, tells me I'm a bad GM and don't know shit about RPGs
> leaves group
> is now the best group you could possibly want to GM
>>
This bummed me out to read op. I'm glad it worked out for you though.
>>
Sounds like a cool campaign. Are you liking GURPS?
>>
>>44791738
>> pretend to roll dice
>> his character starts having a seizure
>> actually saved by the guy he just wanted to kill, but permanent brain damage
>> lower his IQ by 2, give him Gullible disatvantage
>> he actually thinks this is unfair
Honestly this is maybe a bit unreasonable on your end. Of course, the other guy was being an order of magnitude unreasonabler, so whatever.
>>
>>44792158

He deserves it for playing GURPS though.
>>
>>44792234
I'm actually loving it. I'm thinking about going on an urban fantasy campaign next. I have an idea for a dungeon that is a highrise, each level of which is a sort of different plane, like a big forest, hell or a deserted island. Players have to find keys in there and unlock the next level on the elevator key pad.
>>
>>44792286
Why so?
>>
>>44792263
Yeah, this.
Seizures out of nowhere are a bit shit.
>>
>>44792300

I'm just fucking with you, GURPS is a good system. I like the range table and the realism, I can't wait to use it for a gritty Walking Dead campaign with some "normies" from my college.
>>
>>44792297
I had a bad first campaign as GM almost similar experience; one player kept complaining that magic was too weak and I nerfed it, and it's so slow... so I offered for him to respec his character so he could streamline his abilities and be better at magic; he was a little all over the board. I showed how he could make charms (we were using the RPM style; it's slow to cast it on the fly, but you can make almost twenty charms in downtime which are basically stored spells that take one turn to use) and he complained it was still too weak... so I showed him how he could put a point in a perk or two to make strong spells reliably, like 5d burning, 4 yard area of effect strong... and he still complained.

I made magic stronger, had an enemy play by the same exact stronger magic rules and vaporize him in one turn, and quit gmining that campaign.

Now I'm recuperating by playing simpler GURPS Dungeon Fantasy games until I get the balls to try creating a universe from scratch with a history and plot where fighting isn't priority uno again.
>>
>>44792263
Yeah, this is kind of That GM, honestly OP. And a little bit railroady considering you were unable to roll with an npc dieing. But your Dnd was a huge asshat who kept doing way worse and he deserves it. So I don't blame and I probably would have done the same.
>>
>>44792437
I'd have sicced the whole NPC's civilization on that guy, desu. And let the others denounce him.
>>
>>44792437
>>44792482
>>44792359
>>44792263

To his credit though, he did award the guy with a ring that fixed the brain damage at the end... But that is a pretty steep point loss nonetheless... like 50 points?
>>
>>44791844
>apparently, his D&D DM would always have them fight over the loot at the end of a dungeon crawl and the last man standing could keep or give out shit however he pleased, then everyone got fully healed
That's a whole new standart of stupid.
>>
>>44792529
Honestly? I see where you're coming from, and in retrospect I may have done things a bit differently, but I was pretty pissed off at the prick
>>
File: 126546315.gif (801KB, 245x254px) Image search: [Google]
126546315.gif
801KB, 245x254px
>>44791596
>>44791671
>>44791738
>>44791801
>>44791844
Thank you for the story, I enjoyed that.
>>
>>44791738
Honestly, I would've used good old collective responsibility in there - either the party does something about his character acting like murderhobo, or they all get saddled with Enemy disadvantage.
>>
>>44792966
I just found it to be bad roleplaying, that's why I only punished him. His character had literally no reason to do any of that. They just waltzed into the NPC's workshop and he grabbed his axe.
>>
I think all of that is the player's fault, not D&D's. That is a shining example of shitty player behaviour which must not be allowed on any table. I say this, and I play Pathfinder.

And, not sure where to ask, so I'll ask here. How do I get into GURPS? There's so many books, and I can't even find any one named "Core" or similar. Requesting advice.
>>
>>44793741
what are you talking about? there are two books literally labeled "Basic set"
>>
>>44793741
Basic Set. That's all you need to run most campaigns. Though Dungeon Fantasy is also good because it simplifies character generation. DF and Action are the only additional supplements I would ever recommend to new players.
>>
File: Lite.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Lite.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44793741
Lite is free and has the Basic Set's main rules.
You can run shit off it first if you don't want to read the big books just yet. (Although the GM owning and using the Basic Set books while players play off Lite usually works well early on.)
>>
http://mu.ranter.net/pen-and-paper-gaming-adventures/how-do-gurps-and-why-it-sucks-anyway

Thats how you into GURPS
>>
>>44793892
>>44793918
>>44793944
Thanks!
>>
>>44794053
And this is the one free intro adventure.
You can play it with just Lite, I think.
>>
>>44793963
And it has no flavor. NO FLAVOR, DUDE!
>>
File: 1442267750988.png (1MB, 861x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1442267750988.png
1MB, 861x1169px
>>44794224
>>
>>44791596
> I hand him the secret on a separate sheet, tell him not to tell any of the other players
> proceeds to read it out loud to everyone with a grin that would make the Joker jealous

I wouldn't have let him play after this. "Oh. You're retarded. I'm sorry man, I don't have the resources to run a game for the mentally disadvantaged. Get out of my house."
>>
>>44791844
I am glad this story had a happy ending

I hope D&D guy found an MMORPG and will stay away from RPGs forever
>>
File: 61546578.jpg (131KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
61546578.jpg
131KB, 500x414px
ITT: a smug GURPS player writes stories about what he imagines D&D players are like
>>
It's funny because this never happened.

I've done literally all of that "highly complex shit" in D&D, and I've seen hack-and-slash GURP players.

Your passive aggressiveness towards D&D throughout the entire story makes it really hard to believe this actually happened and you're not just flinging shit at the system.
>>
>>44795509
Which is why I specifically said that I have nothing against D&D but prefer GURPS. This is about a guy, not a game.
>>
>>44795532
>> nothing against D&D if you're into that sort of thing, just find it too restrictive and streamlined for cheap high fantasy crap with no depth and if you like it after having tried GURPS you are a pleb

That's a text book example of passive aggressiveness.
>>
>>44795329
>>44795509
ITT: Butthurt D&D players
>>
>>44795614
Have you heard of people being facetious mate?
>>
>>44791671
>> "Phobia: Automobiles", "Enemy: President of the USA"
donald trump was right obama was not born on usa
>>
>>44795329
Come on man, we've all played with That Guy. If we don't remember it then odds are we were/are That Guy.
>>
File: 1445521022837.jpg (44KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
1445521022837.jpg
44KB, 780x438px
I kek'd heartily
>>
>>44791596
> nothing against D&D if you're into that sort of thing, just find it too restrictive and streamlined for cheap high fantasy crap with no depth and if you like it after having tried GURPS you are a pleb

Sure seems unbiased to me, you cock mongrel
>>
>>44801930
> Sure seems unbiased to me, you cock mongrel

Sure seems unbiased to me.
>>
>>44791671
>> "well, we're still in the starting city and haven't been to a single dungeon. This acting like our characters thing is kinda boring desu. We already did that in the intro adventure"
That's when you ask him to decipher the acronym RPG.

>>44791738
Should've let the party members stop him.

>>44791801
>> ask myself why I expected this guy to be the diamond of the group
What, you didn't know that 50% of new players are amazing due to sheer enthusiasm they put into the game? With the percentage quickly dropping off for experienced guys. Especially D&D guys.

>>44791844
>> apparently, his D&D DM would always have them fight over the loot at the end of a dungeon crawl and the last man standing could keep or give out shit however he pleased, then everyone got fully healed
Woooow.
>>
>>44792359
I once had an Async guy in Eclipse Phase try to reach out and touch my head to mindread me while sitting across from him at a restaurant table.

He rolled a crit fail on his attempt and the results/rules indicated that he would suffer a seizure.

It was pretty lame even when it's not out of nowhere and actually part of the rules for those powers.

Luckily he had made stupid amounts of clones of himself that emerged from the crowd and got into a Jackie Chan-esque martial arts fight with me that ended up with me being on the news.
>>
>>44793741
Agreed. The guy didn't exactly play DnD correctly either, it seems.
>>
>>44809447
Where can I find these enthusiastic new players?

Or are they the same new players I get that are 1) incapable of parsing middle-school level difficulty rules texts on their own and 2) put absolutely no effort into anything fucking at all, yet somehow are super enthusiastic ?
>>
>>44811141
Keep trying. Or maybe you landed in an area with shitty demographics for that.

Also
>middle-school level difficulty rules texts
ACTUAL middle school is the perfect starting age.
But of course getting them is tricky.
>>
>>44811178
Yes... pasty, fat neckbeards stalking around in front of middle schools asking kids if they wanna come experience their dungeon.

Can't wait for the second Satanism craze.
>>
>>44811192
Obvious solution is to make your own.
>>
>>44811200
That seems like a long-term solution to having access to middle school-aged children, but what about the short-term?
>>
>>44811241
Get a job a a teacher, start an "acting club".
>>
>>44811241
Adopt.
>>
>>44811319
I can't afford to adopt a whole party.
>>
File: 1432375363679.png (90KB, 200x218px) Image search: [Google]
1432375363679.png
90KB, 200x218px
>>44791671
> this guy has never played an RPG, he's only played D&D as a dungeon crawler

This is why I want to murder every retard who say that DnD is a great system for beginners.

It ruins people forever.
>>
>>44811349
None of the systems you see on this board are good beginner systems. Though admittedy 4th and 5th Ed being glorified Hack n Slash/MMOs are pretty bad choices.

If you want a legitimately good beginner system that teaches people how to roleplay, teach them with Mouseguard RPG, since it actually incorporates using your negative character traits against yourself in its mechanics to encourage roleplaying, and features many discussions of your actions among the players to put the portrayal into the spotlight.

I'd wager Paranoia is also pretty decent, as is Cthulhu Dark. But especially the latter is just a rules-light, nearly freeform system, whereas Mouseguard actually intelligently uses its rules and mechanics to encourage RP.
>>
>>44795509

You can do "highly complex shit" in fucking Magical Witch Adventures.

Doesn't change the fact that DnD is one of the worst systems around.
>>
>>44811336
No no. You're not thinking it through. Adopt one or two. Two offers best chance in case one of them is shit tier at making friends. They invite their friends over to play.
>>
>>44811413
What if their alignments are incompatible?
>>
>>44811417
Then you have an exciting adventure where people with differing ideologies have to work together toward a common goal. You get to play god to middle schoolers and you get to teach them valuable life lessons.
>>
>>44811408

Savage Worlds is good for beginners. GURPS is perfectly fine for beginners if GM is good and makes premade "classes". WoD is also fine for beginners.

Hell "roll d100 for everything, GM explains what happens" is a perfect "system" for beginners.
>>
>>44811440
Nah. You seriously underestimate how clever Mouseguard is in getting people to roleplay of their own volition.

The char creation questionnaire by itself basically draws a character concept out of people they didn't even know they had.
>>
>>44811349
It's not even that simple and beginner friendly. They only recommend it because "durr hurr no one plays anything else".
>>
>>44811336
>>44811319
You only need to adopt one. They can recruit. Speaking from experience.
>>
File: 1414930481776.png (853KB, 570x729px) Image search: [Google]
1414930481776.png
853KB, 570x729px
>>44794149
Be careful, the stats for enemies in this are completely broken.

It gives basis thugs super elite skill levels, you need to drop their weapon skills to 12 or so, its 16 by default.
>>
>>44793741
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Basic/
It's two books.
>>
>>44812288
Untrained thugs shouldn't even have weapon skills. They should have at most a few levels in brawling.
>>
>>44811768

It's not simple at all and has one of the worst and most over-complicated magic systems in history.
>>
>>44814497
Nah, they should have some skills. Most likely they have been in some fights and know how to hold their weapons. It would be silly to assume otherwise.
>>
>>44814544

>one of the worst and most over-complicated magic systems in history.

It's simpler than D&D's magic system.
>>
>>44814622
Wasn't he talking about D&D? GURPS magic system is pretty simple, you just take bunch of skills.
>>
>>44814657
And the Innate Attacks to be able to actually throw your fireball, etc.
>>
>>44814657

Disregard my post, I'm a moron who didn't read the reply chain.
>>
Guys like him are the reason I believe in abortion and eugenics.
>>
>>44812288
I'mma pimp something I worked on a bit using the CER system from another supplement.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2015/12/enemy-caravan-to-ein-arris-fighter-i.html
This version of Fighter I is something somewhat closer to the appropriate difficulty level of someone around the point level recommended that isn't a min-maxed murder machine. I never attempted rebalancing the others, but it would probably be the same principle. I think the one slightly difficult variant is the archer which should probably have a bow skill of 9 and 1d-1 impaling to be on par with broadsword user.
>>
>>44815166
Hey man you should post another gurps gen.
>>
>>44818135
By the way, anyone got that .pdf that was used as /gurpsgen/ OP pasta? I need it for reasons
>>
>>44818439
Are you referring to this?
https://thecollaborativegamer.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/a-ridiculously-huge-system-of-tables-for-creating-adventures/
If yes, there you go.
>>
File: 1412736991327.gif (970KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
1412736991327.gif
970KB, 500x360px
>got started on roleplaying games in 5th grade
>friend's mom ran an afterschool program with it using GURPS 3e
>big group of boys and girls all makin' crazy shit
>got confused when reading the core rules print out and took like -200 in disadvatages
>first campaign ever was full of shit like betraying nations and deciding whether murder was the right thing or not on top of screaming crazy because of giant fucking lizards while we dug shit up in ruins

I can say I'm pretty happy. Thank God I didn't start out with D&D. I tried it two years later after GURPS with the same friend and we both just stopped about 30 minutes in and went "Ah fuck it I can't even start out with a giant dude who knows a bit of magic and swordplay on top of being a school professor" and then we ran a GURPS Supers game.
>>
I feel for you. Last year I started a Star Wars game and half the group was "D&D guys".
>>
File: 1452516150952.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1452516150952.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44818802
You mean this?
>>
>>44811464
I'd be interested in playing it, do you have a PDF?
>>
>>44819053
Yes, this one. Should we use it to make another /gurpsgen/?
>>
>>44819347
Yes please. I actually want to try to help a bit with the Vehicles-thingie, eve though I know shit about vehicles.
>>
>>44819395
So, who is making it? You or me?
>>
>>44792555
No, he was a cunt, if not he would have rolled with the fact that you forced his character into developing real character, but he fought you tooth and nail.
>>
>>44819424
You can do it. I'm cooking right now. lel
>>
>>44819486
>>44819564
>>44819564
>>44819564
>>44819564
I did it.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.