[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, why exactly were the Sisters of Silence made female-only?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: Amendera.jpg (304KB, 496x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Amendera.jpg
304KB, 496x1380px
So, why exactly were the Sisters of Silence made female-only? It doesn't really make sense to limit your recruitment of an extremely rare and valuable breed of people by half for no reason. What were done with the male blanks during the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy era?
>>
>>44765077
Because women are more loyal and strong willed than men.

Fighting against daemons and powerful psykers as pariahs requires incredible mastery over one's willpower to channel their pariah abilities and nullify their powers.
>>
>>44765077
>What were done with the male blanks during the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy era?

Served in the Army just like everybody else.
>>
>>44765077
Because you're trying to apply logic to a series who main design philosophy is "WHO CARES AS LONG AS IT'S SO GRIMDARK IT'S FUNNY!"
>>
>>44765123
>women are more loyal and strong willed
I chuckled
>>
>>44765123
Women are a billion times more likely to be corrupted, just ask /d/
>>
>>44765123
>women
>loyal
>inb4 r9k

This shit has been known for thousands of years, then all of a sudden in the last sixty popular pinon on women has changed. Women are temperamental as hell.
>>
File: tumblr_mbbyawQ2j31rndemuo1_1280.jpg (985KB, 1019x1480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbbyawQ2j31rndemuo1_1280.jpg
985KB, 1019x1480px
>>44765077
They're a holdover from the wacko rogue trader days if I remember correctly. It's also why they have those weird pony tails that were everywhere then.
>>
File: Dune_Fish_Speaker_Concept.jpg (156KB, 800x1058px) Image search: [Google]
Dune_Fish_Speaker_Concept.jpg
156KB, 800x1058px
>>44765077

Because the people who made 40k are incredibly uncreative, and noticed that the Fish Speakers in Dun were all-women, and decided to copy that.
>>
>>44765182
Speculation about the ambiguities of 40k lore is half the fun, anon.

>>44765160
That seems like a waste.

>>44765335
Yeah, I actually meant to ask about what the deal was with the topknots, but I figured it can just be chalked up to it being some kind of army culture or something.
>>
>>44765362
Old School orks have them and so do Chaos Marines. They were just everywhere in Old Hammer days. I can't really say why.
>>
File: 1449796254256.jpg (180KB, 534x900px) Image search: [Google]
1449796254256.jpg
180KB, 534x900px
>>44765419
Shit was metal as fuck. Remember, back in the day GW had Bolt Thrower put out a album as a ad. The universe was pretty much a heavy metal album cover. Good times.
>>
>>44765077
most likely, the Blank Men were all being converted into Eversor Assassins.
>>
80's-based 40k style and intention is the only 40k I choose to recognize. The rules may change, the fluff may change, but at the end of the day we're whacking each other in power armor with chainswords.
>>
>>44767561
You mean culexus
>>
>>44765265
>>44765287
>>44765297
Low testosterone levels detected.

Might want to go hit the gym.
>>
>>44765077
>So, why exactly were the Sisters of Silence made female-only? It doesn't really make sense to
What the FUCK are you even... same reason dreadnaughts are powered by dead spacemarines rather than Servitors and SoB use flamers instead of heavy-duty lasers wired to their backpacks.

Aesthetics.
>>
>>44767841
Dreadnaughts use space marines because they're a giant life support system that can keep alive someone who might be little more than a decapitated head. That way they can keep the knowledge and history of a veteran around for far longer, Servitors meanwhile have their brains mostly replaced by electronics. I know it's essentially aesthetics, but there *is* a reason.
>>
>>44767897
Nono, but say Penitent Engines or Flagellants prove you can use someone unwilling for this kind of thing and be at least halfway effective. Dreads do have their place, but it makes no sense to be exclusive like that, TECH HURPESY or not.
>>
>>44767972
I don't think Dreadnaughts are in production anymore though, Penitents and Flagellants are. If they are I'd totally agree though.
>>
>>44765077
For the same reason space marines are arbitrarily male only
>>
>>44767989
>I don't think Dreadnaughts are in production anymore though, Penitents and Flagellants are. If they are I'd totally agree though.
Why would dreads no longer be in production? I imagine they're just not made a lot because, let's be real here, a space marine being injured to the point he's eligible but actually surviving is an extreme fringe case due to just how advanced limb replacement tech is.
>>
>>44765077
They were either culexus assassins or the black ship guards
>>
>>44765297
A more appropriate stance would be that women tend to follow the cultural trends more devoutly than men, so societies that emphasize chastity produce chaste women, and societies that emphasize being a careless vindictive whore and fuck the consequences produce modern women.
>>
>>44768555
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>44765077
because it's called "SISTERS of silence" not "coed company of quiet"

not many people know that the emperor named the order before he made
>>
>>44765077

This is a really good question, and I think it's clear that the consensus is "nobody knows".

Yes yes yes of course they did this for rule of cool. Let's get that out of the way. Now, let's try to interpolate an in-universe explanation for it.

To me, the obvious explanation is that male blanks were being directed to some other job. The fact that we've never seen what that job is means one of two things: either it's super-cool and interesting and secret... or it's boring enough that it doesn't bear mentioning.

Post-heresy, I'd say it's obvious that Inquisitors and high Imperial nobility probably try to keep them for themselves. Perhaps even pre-Heresy this was a thing for senior nobility.

So I could see the Emperor making a compromise, saying that some Blanks work for him as Sisters of Silence, and others continue to work for the nobility. But how to ensure an equitable split? Separate them by gender!

Plus, if I were of a conspiratorial nature, I might want lots of female Blanks so I can either breed them out of the human population (removing alien tampering and also paving the way for the human psyker future the Emperor was canonically planning for ). Or alternatively, breeding them deeper into the population so he can have a ready supply.
>>
>>44769842
>To me, the obvious explanation is that male blanks were being directed to some other job. The fact that we've never seen what that job is means one of two things: either it's super-cool and interesting and secret... or it's boring enough that it doesn't bear mentioning.
Also possible is that whatever training/implants the Sisters need to become true SoS only works on women, same reason only Men can receive Gene Seed.
>>
>>44769858
The Sob don't have implants
>>
>>44765561
>had Bolt Thrower put out a album as a ad.
No, back in the day GW had a record label.
>>
>>44769858
>>44769892

That we know of.

I think this might also be a good explanation. We know there are some gender-specific genemods/biomods in canon. Obviously SM geneseed is an example. Also, remember the Geno Five-Two Chiliad?

There's also another possibility. What if there was a whole Space Marine Legion that recruited Blanks? (/tg/ was there first!) They'd have to hoover up millions of blanks to find the very few who are fit to become aspirants and neophytes-- boiling down to the very few of THEM who make it all the way to become Space Marines. I'd not be shocked to find that every single male Blank has to be collected for this to have worked.

Then, post-heresy, you'd have male Blanks everywhere, naturally falling into the retinue of the Imperial nobility to protect them from one another's psykers. Not to mention psykers belonging to heretics and xenos.

Such a hypothetical legion would have been the II or XI legions, purged entirely. This might also offer possible explanations for what they did to be purged so utterly. Blanks are so valuable that there might have been jealousy. Their resistance to psykers, even the Emperor Himself, might have made him suspicious. Their psychopath soullessness might have lead them to do something that was an imfamia. Or perhaps there are other effects latent in those Necron genes that might have been triggered by geneseed or so many of them gathering together at once. Or, perhaps, eliminating them was an early plot by Chaos as part of the larger effort to foment a rebellion. After all, Chaos is at its worst when facing an entire army of Blanks.
>>
>So, why exactly were the Sisters of Silence made female-only?

Because even amongst pariahs, the female segment only have half a soul.
>>
>>44770030

...or, perhaps, we can merge two hypothetical ideas about this hypothetical legion of Blanks. Perhaps appropriate Blank aspirants are so rare that only a very small number of them can be created in any generation.

So potential recruits for the Empty Legion are carefully selected and brought to their hidden facility on Pluto, hidden amidst the ammonia processors. There they are trained to a razor's edge and implanted with geneseed. Perhaps a single such acolyte is processed in every generation. Who can say who is entrusted to train these men, or what training they are put through?

Once they're ready, their progenoid glands are removed to be used in future recruitments and they themselves are put into stasis. Over ten thousand years, an entire Legion has been raised, never having seen battle, quietly waiting alongside their Primarch.

And what rough beast, its hour come 'round at last, slouches towards Terra, waiting to be born?
>>
>>44765077

Because Pariah men were made into assassins. The most capable men were universally made into Space Marines.

The SoS were a 'I guess we could use them too' late-comer. They're all gone by 40K, and no-one misses them.
>>
>>44770154
>They're all gone by 40K, and no-one misses them.

Are they actually gone, or are they merely not mentioned? It's a pretty big difference, when it comes to Warhammer fluff.
>>
>>44767832
>oh you are saying women aren't saints! I must insult your masculinity!
This is some Special Ed. Bait.

Protip: I actually go to /fit/, your meme attempt doesn't fit anything.
>>
>>44770030
Blanks are a thousand times rarer than Psykers and are reviled by most. Finding aspirants who could survive the trials after a life of abuse would be near impossible. They would have trouble dealing with allies and their brotherhood would be forced at best
>>
>>44765123
>Because women are more loyal and strong willed than men.
>>
>>44770149
I like it
>>
>>44770519
post pics. derail shit thread.
>>
>>44767998
Their modification process is only compatible with females?
>>
>>44765077
do we even know if they are recruited or "made"?
>>
>>44770563
>nigh impossible

I agree, which is why after ten thousand years, they only now have a legion. Stored up in stasis, one by one.
>>
File: 1334982201316.jpg (115KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1334982201316.jpg
115KB, 500x500px
>>44769661
>"coed company of quiet"
this is now my headcanon
>>
>>44769892
SoB=\=SoS
Dumbass
>>
>>44770030

There is an expunged chapter (II I think) of blank marines fighting in the small portion of the imperial webway, they and the emperor is the only thing holding chaos at bay from rectum-slaying terra.
>>
>>44769892
>The Sob don't have implants
Yeah, sure, like I believe they all have natural tits.
>>
>>44765077
How are they supposed to be *Sisters* of Silence if they aren't female?
>>
>>44770154
Their with the custodes fighting off the daemons Magnus Let into the imperial palace after that little incident with the psyker powers
>>
>>44767832
>i don't know what it feels like to put my dick into warm pussy
>>
>>44765297
>>44765265
>>44765287
>>44770589
Fishspeakers.

Look them up.
>>
>>44765123
>women are more loyal and strong willed than men
http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/c/chichevache/
>>
>>44767989
Box dreads are still in production, it's the fancy Whore Heresay era ones that aren't.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.