[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WotC brings out 5e OGL and the "Dungeon Master's Guild"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: lich_by_slipgatecentral.jpg (221KB, 795x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lich_by_slipgatecentral.jpg
221KB, 795x1000px
WotC has done something interesting.

Read what it is here
http://www.dmsguild.com/whatisdmsguild.php

I think they did this to make up for the fact they don't have a lot of people on 5e and most of their content for that is going to be Forgotten Realms. Thus they decided to prop 5e with a place where people make content and they decide what to sell it for.

Thoughts /tg/ ?
>>
More stuff for something other than the Forgettable Realms is a good thing.
>>
/5eg/ (>>44755420) has been pretty optimistic about it. There are a few "ugh homebrew" shitters and a little talk about the legal bits of putting it on DMs Guild, but mostly people seem optimistic about it. The OGL SRD means that the system's simple-yet-solid systems can be used freely by other designers without worry of legal ramifications, and that people who don't want to pay for the books can still play with the SRD alone.

Legally, it's important to remember that putting stuff on DMs Guild is an exclusivity agreement (you will only sell/redistribute that work on DMs Guild) and also that stuff put on there is covered under a pseudo-OGL (stuff that you post on DMs Guild can be used by other people for works posted on DMs Guild). So definitely only post stuff you're fine with other people using. Don't post your darling homebrew setting on there.
>>
>>44757382
I'm personally really interested to see what comes out of the Dungeon Master's Guild. And I'm wondering how long it will take Paizo to swipe the 5e rules for Pathfinder: Second Edition.

>>44760941
>Don't post your darling homebrew setting on there.
DM's Guild is explicitly Forgotten Realms-only. Homebrew settings are the domain of the OGL.
>>
It's cool but it's obvious DnD 5e has already been mothballed.
>>
>>44761063
niceme.me
>>
>>44761085
They have no plans to release things for DnD this year and instead are putting it on the backburner, while collecting some money for the IP from/by fans for this.
>>
Thanks for posting this.

I wonder if the same agreement for original artwork is sufficient, I guess they are really wanting to focus on authorship.
>>
>>44761202
Wow that's fucking surprising.. 5th really didn't get the public interest they wanted?
>>
>>44761202
>They have no plans to release things for DnD this year
Can someone confirm this
>>
>>44757382
For what it's worth, they're all on the same team. The entire D&D team work together on the same projects. I work on a different floor, on the web side, but I can tell you it's not getting divvied up based on FR, etc.
>>
>>44761202
Any sources? I've only found mention of plans for two storylines per year
>>
>>44761447
>>44761202
Except they have at least two adventures in the works and storylines planned out to the end of 2017. And they've said nothing about 5e's sales save for it exceeding expectations, and 5e's popularity continues to grow over time by pretty much any non-anecdotal measure.

They're a small team and don't announce anything until like 3 months before release at max. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce something during their AMA on Friday.
>>
>>44761447
It was actually way bigger than we expected. The response was, overall, super encouraging.
>>
>>44761529
Source, please
>>
>>44761516
That's when they start working on them. They churn out new content in three to four month cycles because they're all working together. The team developing the current stuff is the same team that developed 5e in its entirety.
>>
>>44761595
Purely anecdotal from talking to the team. I just asked how it was received, I haven't looked at any numbers. I just know they did well and everyone was pleasantly surprised. The whole office kind of collectively breathed a sigh of relief.
>>
>>44761529
That's great. I know there was alot of hope for it from fans before release. Glad to hear players are happy.
>>
>>44761202
Care to back any of that up?
>>
>>44761529
While you're here, what is the general age demographic for box/splash/release artwork? It seems to shift a bit, especially with so many possible sources.
>>
>>44761783
Looks like BS untill we see some sources.
>>
File: 4L_f5IUC3To.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
4L_f5IUC3To.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>44761793
No idea! They contract that stuff out to different artists and I think they just get different results. I think most of that work goes toward Magic anyway.

Also, whatever it's worth, I'm not >>44761202
>>
I like to think they stopped the WotC forums to pay for this. They are promising quality control but all content is open for anyone to edit as along as there are substantial changes.

I am not sure if there is a review.

There are refunds so this is not too sketchy.

You can read the thing you bought and then just chuck it, if it is crap.

My biggest issue is that they set the price of the content.
>>
>>44762006
>My biggest issue is that they set the price of the content.
The author of a work sets the price, not Wizards.
>>
>>44762035

Sorry reading Legalese gets confusing.

I wonder if they will take off bad sellers or very low scoring products?
>>
>>44762006
Do they? It seemed like the author sets the price.
>>
>>44762062
Everything you are asking/confused about is in the OP link...
>>
>>44761719
Totally. Personally, I never really liked 4e because combat is the least interesting part of DnD to me. I felt like 5e was like 3.5e without some of the more tedious stuff. It just felt smoothed out and more easy to have fun with. But that's just me, I dunno.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.