[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General: Political

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 411
Thread images: 25

File: 2011_State_of_the_Union.jpg (125KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
2011_State_of_the_Union.jpg
125KB, 800x533px
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Players: Tell me about your adventures in intrigue and political fuckery. Do you enjoy this kind of game?

GMs/Worldbuilders: What role does diplomacy play in your setting? Are your Kingdoms hidebound and isolated, or is your world rife with background actors?
>>
>>44755420
I made a world with a mixture of kingdoms and intertwining politics and motives which the party in their actions would influence over time in various ways. However my group is bad at long term campaigns. They always wanna play but never commit.
>>
>>44755420
My players have shipwrecked on an island where a minor noble is making a play for the governor's position by making the present governor look like an incompetent buffon; this guy starts riots, incites pirate raids, and spreads nasty rumors about the governor.

Not sure if the party will pick up on that.
>>
One of the games I'm in now is an Eberron one where we're part of a group dedicated to upholding the Thronehold Treaty. There are so many politicians we've interacted with and they're all dicks. I love it.
>>
I'm a blind retard, tell me how stupid it is to play a paladin who two-hands a longsword, and why.
>>
>>44755741
It's not as long as you're playing to just have fun
>>
>>44755741
You would do more damage with a greatsword or greataxe, do the same amount of damage with a pike, and still be just as well protected.
>>
>>44755741
If you only use it two handed and never mix it up with a shield or free hand to adapt to the situation then not using a heavy weapon is pointless.

Of course, you might just have one kick ass magic weapon that's always worthwhile.
>>
>>44755597
> Politics could be described as The Long Game
> Party can't commit to more than a short game
I feel you, Senpai.
>>
>>44755403
Maybe. Given that people are talking about creating a draconic patron archetype, you could probably go either way.

Thematically the distinction between sorcerer and warlock is fuckall by now, so I'm not really bothered either way.
>>
File: monsterGenerator.png (2MB, 3836x1768px) Image search: [Google]
monsterGenerator.png
2MB, 3836x1768px
Hey there /tg/ I found this, but it's kinda limited any ideas how to make it deliver better results? (as in adding more tables for limb numbers or more features)

Also post results, mine was a:
Neutral aligned gargantuan psychic monstrosity in the form of a globe with no eyes and a big jaw, that has the ability to burrow and roars when threatened.

Basically a gigantic underground pacman
>>
File: Gyro.png (961KB, 569x815px) Image search: [Google]
Gyro.png
961KB, 569x815px
How would you into a Steel Ball Run campaign?
>>
>>44756289
You could probably just do a hexcrawl campaign with mounted combat every now and then.
>>
>having to go through all this photoshop shit to get my homebrew to look ok so I can sell it and get 50 cents

Why am I going through this trouble?
>>
>>44756289
Get a small group of people 2~4 players, make the setting really clear to them, and create a shitload of unique NPCs that interact with the party at certain intervals and then choose some of those NPCs to be relate-able villains, finally make an over the top and crazy plot device to make the whole thing more interesting.
>>
>>44755741
Because a D&D Longsword is not a historical Longsword.
>>
>>44756822
Nobody's making you, anon. Why are you?
>>
File: thumbs up tomato.gif (511KB, 409x226px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up tomato.gif
511KB, 409x226px
>start weekly session with very little prep
>players immediately begin roleplaying (all of them, in turn) for half an hour
I love my group.
>>
I could have sworn there was some sort of ability that allowed wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand. Am I wrong?
>>
>>44757272
Some weapons have Versatility that increases their damage when held in two hands.
>>
What's the recommended way to make a pdf for the guild?
>>
Why on earth did wizards give the high elf wizard pregen the noble background, with proficiency in persuasion, and then give him 8 cha?
>>
>>44756649
>>44756827
I suppose as long as the players understand what to expect, the general railroading wouldn't be a big issue. Nobody I play with has read SBR though, so idk how it would go over.
>>
>>44757342

there is a dotx in the extra folder in the mega that has some decent formatting. Or there is some le reddit markdown thing, critical 20 or some shit, but it can't export into anything because retarded reddit
>>
As a drow wizard, I can just use Poison Spray/Magic Missile/Thunderwave/Burning Hands/Chromatic Orb/etc. to get around the sunlight sensitivity, since disadvantage doesn't effect spells with a saving throw, right?
>>
>>44756191
A small, bone-thin, evil creature that burrows below the earth with two clawed and bladed tentacles on it's 8-eyed, chitinous front and another 18 clawed tentacles on it's furry, short-tailed backside and possesses the power of regeneration.
I imagine it looks like some kind of tuber and sits around waiting for someone to try and pick it before attacking, which would make the regeneration very useful should someone take a bite out of it.
>>
>>44757375
Nobody likes snooty noble High Elves, not even other High Elves, so he ain't gonna get shit for Charisma.
Never looked at these pregens before... he must be designed to be an uppity, an over privileged, spoiled brat who picks nothing but attack spells and thinks himself Tyr's gift to the realms.
>>
>>44757681
Yep just attack rolls
>>
>>44757733
Basically correct, yea.
>>
File: Image.jpg (100KB, 554x726px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
100KB, 554x726px
Check out this sweet ass half-elf monk I'm going to play. Her foot game is off the charts and I'm gonna tell everyone at the table my thoughts on her feet.
>>
>>44758953

>scarred, calloused, dirty monk feet

no thanks
>>
>>44758953
I almost wish I could be there so I could throw up on your sheet and books.
>>
>>44758953
her toes a shit

they're not even descending lengths
>>
I don't respond to haters.
>>
>What role does diplomacy play in your setting? Are your Kingdoms hidebound and isolated, or is your world rife with background actors?
Well, the setting is rife with politicking and the entire world is a clusterfuck of factions and ideals, but none of that matters, because my players like it so much that the following exchange just occurred:

>talking about treasure the party received recently
>"It occurs to me that the denomination should have been in platinum when it was tucked into an envelope. Since 300 gold is rather heavy. I'm not saying I'm all about dat realism or anything, but 30 coins is more elegant than 300."
>"It's not too late to introduce paper money [Anon]."
>"I do that, and newspapers become a thing. Granted, I'd say the setting isn't far out from newspapers."
>Bold letters: "Let newspapers become a thing! Exchange rates. My dick is diamonds for currency exchange rates."

I'm 90% sure the next arc of the campaign is simply going to be going through a villain's tax returns looking for fiscal errors in his quarterly earnings.
>>
So I made my new ranger archetype, it's barebones but it's quality I think. Gonna upload it to DMG, should I charge a buck or pay what you want or what?
>>
>>44759472
Its shit
>>
>>44759541
Thank you. Anything else?
>>
>>44759472
I'm of the mind that most everything outside of say, full adventures, should be pay what you want with a suggested price.
>>
>>44759472
I hate you, and I'm not even this guy >>44759541
>>
>>44759581
Fair enough. A buck should be more content than I have right now, anyway.

>>44759586
Haters b hatin.
>>
>>44759472
I'd rather like something more of the OSR scene for 5e. Collaboration and homebrew that's not behind a fucking paywall.
>>
>>44759472
Pay what you want is the only way to git gud since so many people will see and review it.

You might also get some strange anons that give you 10 dollarydoos because they like your work or something that way too.
>>
>>44756191
>Body Type: 5 = Biped
>Hinds Limbs: 20, 18, 17, 4 = 18 feet
>Fore Limbs: 1 = Same as Hind
So it has stands on 18 legs and has feet for hands. This is downright Spore-tier. Also
>Rolled over 75 on the attribute chart five times
This chart is all kinds of fucked up and I'm going to use every retarded creature I roll up with it.
>>
>>44759831
Here's hoping.

Seems I can't quite finish this on my phone. Gotta throw together a cover image and figure out how to add my PayPal to the account. Oh well, I've got the important stuff done.

When I upload it there I'll share it here as well, because why not?
>>
My friends and I just started playing, and as the DM, I'm confused about how I'm meant to convey visual information.

We're playing the Lost Mines of Phandelver starter set, and for example, I don't know how to give the players an understanding of all the various buildings without a physical map to just show them. There's at least a dozen important buildings spread around, plus quite a few minor ones. Or, in the dungeons, with big rooms full of secrets and trenches and furniture and passageways, I'd have to spend a lot of time just explaining the geography of each room - and they'd forget half of it immediately.

I could just show them the map in the book, but those are marked up with all kinds of plot-sensitive information they don't have yet. I couldn't even show them the map of the region they're in, because it gives away every important location (and reveals what the important locations will be).

Should I be drawing this shit out? My art skills are abysmal, so I hope not.

I think I read that someone has made unmarked maps for the campaign somewhere online, and I'm going to go look for those now, but once we move on to a campaign of our own design that won't be available.
>>
>>44760140
Just give brief descriptions
>This is a cave tunnel. There is a river flowing out to your left and another cavern room to your left that you can hear the sound of snarling coming from. ahead of you is a bridge perpendicular to you 10 feet in the air.
Only give them more information if they ask for it.
>>
Does anybody have copies of Confrontation at Candlekeep, Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard? I remember someone posting the pdfs here a while ago.
>>
>>44756191
I saw leather in the skin section and thought "I guess they mean plain skin" but then in the wings section it's got both skin and leather options..
Otherwise pretty decent and probably will train DMs to describe their monsters in more detail more often, whether it's an abomination created by this table or a traditional fantasy species.
>>
Has anyone had any luck parsing the SRD monster list into a spreadsheet, or finding a parsed version?
>>
>>44761045
Literally nobody in this thread has said anything about political correctness.
>>
>>44761080
its a bot, lurk moar
>>
http://www.5esrd.com/ Some guy's been working on getting the SRD in HTML form, it's just a simple Google Sites page and needs more organization, but all of it's there it seems. I emailed the guy to see if I couldn't help him get the classes, races, and monsters better-organized and formatted.
>>
You know, it'd be nice to try and get my own setting published, even if Wizard's is holding my least, since I've crafted it to be inherently tied to Planescape cosmology and thus have made it otherwise unmarketable.

And yet they've decided to go 'Forgettable Realms ONRY' with it, and I have to ask why.
>>
>>44761197
>And yet they've decided to go 'Forgettable Realms ONRY' with it, and I have to ask why.
Because like 1/3rd of all D&D players play in Forgotten Realms. They have outright said they plan to expand it later, and given that one of the upcoming adventures features "barbarians," "an airship," and a "pulpier feel," Eberron is probably coming sometime this year with a DMs Guild expansion to match.
>>
>>44760140
The unmarked maps are on the fucking OP you dimwit
>>
>>44761232
Rephrase: I do actually know the reason 'why', I'm more curious as to why NOT.

If it doesn't sell because it's not Forgotten Realms, I fail to see why they still think to forbid it to begin with.
>>
Wasted most of last night creating a Dark Knight class. Not even sure if the shit's balanced (likely not), but whatever, I was on an FFXIV romp.

Here it is if you guys are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/Dfsdp
>>
File: STOP PLS.gif (191KB, 340x285px) Image search: [Google]
STOP PLS.gif
191KB, 340x285px
>>44761652
>creating a full 20-level progression for something that would better fit as a more elegant, balanced subclass progression
>>
>>44761652
you people
>>
>>44761691
>>44761746
So creating Classes is somehow a big no-no? Aight then.
>>
>>44761788
Dude we've been sitting in this thread since 5e launched, and it's been almost non-stop shit terrible homebrew. It's a serious problem for the thread. And now with this exchange thing every nerd suddenly thinks they are a fucking dev, and now we're getting even more shit homebrew. Like yours. Please stop.
>>
>>44761788
A full class should cover some sort of definitive niche for its flavor. A Dark Knight would work much better as a fighter subclass, or even a paladin oath with some adjustment.
>>
>>44761691
But then he couldn't fit all 50 awesome abilities in it.

>>44761788
Not in principle, but yours is a bad example of what to do in a few ways. It's a very specific idea with far too many toys added on. You'd be better off making a new Knight class with generic abilities and flavor, and have a dark knight archetype.
>>
>>44761788
>>44761874
Also I can't speak for the balance, because no way I'm processing all that shit.
>>
>>44761788
The problem isn't that you're brewing. The problem is that your homebrew is bad.

For example:
> D12 Damage Dice
> Heavy Armor Proficiency

Fuck you.
>>
>>44761914
That low blow class feat.

You can stun twice per short rest. wat
>>
Everyone thinks, "holy shit, a class is just a few paragraphs, it's so easy" then they make the Dark Knight and its terrible and everyone knows it and hopefully now the poster realizes it's much harder than it looks and that he should just give up.
>>
What a buncha poopy anus farts covered in dick waffles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI
>>
>>44761983
Nah, I'll just take more cracks at it til I get it right. You get better by repeatedly doing something, not by giving up.
>>
>>44762004
>You get better by repeatedly doing something, not by giving up.
Who the fuck talks like that. You think if you, a 400 pound white man, practiced enough, you could join the NBA? Sometimes dreams DONT come true.
>>
>>44762034
Nice projecting.
>>
The funny thing was, he probably made the Dark Knight and as like, "I'll post it to the thread and they'll love it. I'm one of the good homebrewers, I'm sure the thread will agree."
>>
>>44761983
Alright, so I called his Dark Knight shit, but you're even worse.

I do a bunch of homebrewing, too, and I was alternately elated/disgusted when the SRD came out yesterday: on one hand, I've got a huge boner for open source projects and am glad the tools are now out; on the other, yeah, we're going to get a shit tsunami of terrible things that people threw together so they can sell them.

But the attitude that he fucked it up and should just stop trying is asinine. Go play your game; let him play his.

>>44762004
I think your Dark Knight is hot garbage; kudos to you for not giving a shit. I might never like it, but it's not your job to care.

Have fun, Anon.
>>
>>44762059
>tfw you made a homebrew once and 5eg almost unanimously liked it

Th-thanks guys...
>>
>>44762080
>on one hand, I've got a huge boner for open source projects and am glad the tools are now out; on the other, yeah, we're going to get a shit tsunami of terrible things that people threw together so they can sell them.
who the fuck talks like this? are you having a conversation with yourself?
>>
>>44762104
Don't push it.
>>
>>44762112
>Straws
>Grasping at.
>Is a 400lb white dude with dreams of joining the NBA
>>
>>44762034
Racism is against the rules
>>
The straws have been totally grasped at itt.
>>
>>44762080
Will do. Good luck in your endeavors, Anon.

>>44762112
I'm pretty sure he was making a point regarding the can of open worms with amateurs like me coming into the fray.

>>44762162
I'll quote the above poster. Are you having a conversation with your self?
>>
Just got home from my first game
>local game shop
>fill in for missing person
>lvl 6 group, playing the tank
>forget to rage
>almost die
>3 healers to the rescue
Stupid 2 headed stone giant

Going to make a ranged rogue next week
>>
>>44762265
What module were you guys playing, if any at all?
>>
>>44762265
>>44762283
samefag
>>
>>44762198
> Anonymous only ever has conversations with itself
>>
>>44762302
for what purpose?
>>
File: 640x425.png (437KB, 639x425px) Image search: [Google]
640x425.png
437KB, 639x425px
>>44761652
>two of the three pictures are grimderp animu women
>another from a JRPG

Didn't even read the rest.
>>
>>44762330
What are you talking about, Anon? No we don't.
>>
File: 85846464.png (51KB, 324x246px) Image search: [Google]
85846464.png
51KB, 324x246px
>>44762342
>not loving dat Jeannu and Saber Alter
Guess you've got brain problems
>>
>>44762417

fucking animeposters pls go and stay go
>>
>>44762283
Cant remember what it was called
I want to say the rise of tiamat is the book the dm was reading from. Or maybe out of the abyss.
A couple angry faces on the cover
>>
File: 1449357871928.jpg (34KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1449357871928.jpg
34KB, 500x350px
>>44761652
>you have taken to a belief so strongly that you shape the very darkness that permeates the void and your own heart

is this a parody of 2edgy4me anime bullshit or are you being serious?
>>
>>44762541
Horde of the Dragon Queen, I'm pretty sure? Out of the Abyss has Demogorgon on the cover.
>>
Guys my boss wants me to play in his DnD game this weekend, he is tired of the group having no focus or actual interest in roleplaying. I think this game might benefit me a lot in real life too, so I don't want to fuck it up.

What should I play?
>>
>>44762749
Dickass thief.
>>
>>44762749
Death cleric
>>
>>44762749
Lawful Good city guard ranger. Show off that work ethic
>>
>>44762749
Oathbreaker Paladin
>>
>>44762749
Lawful evil racist character that appeases authority and goes out of their way to brown nose them, then sells their secrets to their competitors.
>>
>>44762749
Ask what the group needs or what would be good for the campaign
>>
>>44760140
Brief and sensual descriptions. Work with the senses.
>>
>>44762801
>>44762877
I did a quick look and those seem really fucking edgy. I've never played a paladin though, so maybe it's not that bad.

Usually I go for rogues, summoners or inquisitor types but apparently those are not good at inspiring teamwork.
>>
>>44762749

Big Lebowski Druid: "The Drude"
>>
>>44763180
We are clearly fucking with you anon.
>>
>>44762749
>>44763210
>>44763267
DESU SENPAI, just playing a 'good' leaning alignment, maybe a fighter with some sort of neutral alignment, but still holds virtue.

Hey, if its for irl benefits, be his tank, or something. Just be focused.
And dont be a kiss ass, yea? Thats overdoing it
>>
>>44755787
Having fun usually requires having a competent character who can engage in the game
>>
I don't mean to give my DM a hard time, but sometimes the plot hooks aren't tempting enough.
>>
>>44762749
War cleric. Hit shit, heal shit, tank shit. You can interrogate captured enemies by threatening to break their bones, heal them, and re-break their bones.
>>
>>44762265
>>44762541
>>44762659
Two headed stone giant tells me it's Out of the Abyss. I fought in that fight. By which I mean stood out of the way and took potshots with a crossbow while the druid got smashed about.
>>
>>44763359
Yeah Good seems the way to go from what I guess his campaign would be. He's kind of a weeb, don't really know how that will play out.

I really will be bored out of my fucking mind if I'm just playing a fighter class. I just can't bring myself to roleplaying dumb characters.

If only this was pathfinder and I could just wear my familiar like a fuzzy blanket and be tanky as fuck.
>>
>>44763547
So did I. Our Paladin chopped its dick off. He currently wears the stone giant schlog on his belt. The poor guy didn't even get a turn since we all ganged up on him.
>>
File: ashur.jpg (367KB, 1280x981px) Image search: [Google]
ashur.jpg
367KB, 1280x981px
New DM here, I got some questions about the rule

> wizard gets beheaded by baby red dragon
> cleric runs to her aid but has no diamonds (as for components) to cast revivify
> she casts gentle repose on the wizard and the party carries her out of the room

I was unsure about how 'Gentle Repose' work, seems she cast it on the Wizard before the 1 minute limitation for Revivify so they have now 10 days to get the components needed to revive the Wizard.

The question is, is that how 'Gentle Repose' works?

And if the "victim" was beheaded, does Revivify works on him? (they have the head tho)

This is funny but to cast 'Gentle Repose' she had to put copper coins on the dead wiz's eyes and then she just "put the head back in the body" so the effect kick in.
>>
>>44763628
Well, Gentle Repose does the trick for preserving the body just fine. That's what it's meant to do. Whether Revivify works is a little more questionable. It doesn't restore missing parts, but you have the head available. Up to you, though I'd say they need a different spell.
>>
>>44763628
How'd a baby dragon behead someone, anyways?
>>
>>44755741
If you never want to make use of it being versatile, use a greatsword instead and fluff it as a longsword if you feel like it.
>>
>>44760140
>Should I be drawing this shit out? My art skills are abysmal, so I hope not.
Drawing walls based on an existing map doesn't take any artistic skill Anon.

Also, the mega in the OP has unmarked maps for LMoP
>>
>>44763628
>>44763769
I would say that if they can find a way to reattach the head (same as they might do for a limb) then Revivify would work
>>
>>44763628
>>44764216
Revivify rather specifically calls attention to the fact that it can't restore missing body parts, so it shouldn't work on a beheaded corpse.
>>
>>44764244
Restore no, but this is reattaching.
>>
>>44764244
Hence the reattaching of the head to make a whole corpse again.
>>
>>44763628
Make them pay a decent amount to re-attach the head from a surgeon. Then the spell works.
>>
>>44763769
>>44764216
Thanks. Yeah since they got 10 days... I'll make it so they would need someone to help them reattach the head in a surgical or magical way.

>>44763811
They are medium size so I though with it would be enough to bite through a young thin genasi wizard's neck with a Critical attack roll and almost max damage on damage roll.

poor wiz, that night the dive were not on her side.
>>
Would it be bad for a ranger archetype to grant an increase of extra attack at third level? Assuming that the other features aren't too offensively powerful.
>>
>>44764845
god damn you
>>
>>44764845
>third
Jesus, I meant fifteenth
>>
>>44764880
Yeah I'm not on the ball today
>>
File: Political Map.png (2MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Political Map.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
>>44755420
>What role does diplomacy play in your setting? Are your Kingdoms hidebound and isolated, or is your world rife with background actors?

I have like 3 or so kingdoms and an empire kinda deal. I gave my players the option to interact with them and affect major world decisions.

Most of the time they prefer to have their actions affect a smaller scale (as I predicted) but from time to time they'll get updates on the global scene and they might try and act on it.
>>
>>44764884
no, thats stupid, just play scout
>>
>>44764934
For fucks sake, does the ranger get ANY design space?
>>
>>44764972
no its stupid
>>
Seems to me most 3.5 classes are easily ported to 5e, with some numbers tweaks and changing saves etc to 5e equivalents. Anyone ever done this?
>>
>>44765051
Not well, and also you're wrong.
>>
>>44765051
For some it's easy, for others it's harder than you might think. A lot of 3.5e classes have asinine level layouts and mixes of completely useless features that aren't worth porting over, or features that are too strong to be fully put into 5e.
>>
>>44763402
>>44755787
>>44755741
>>44755852

omg average damage from 1d10 rerolling 1s and 2s is 6.3, average damage from 2d6 rerolling 1s and 2s is 8.3. So you lose 2 average damage, while your bread and butter is smite damage anyway.

Its really not bad. You guys
>>
>>44764988
In any case thanks, I replaced it with something more rangery and another bonus added besides. I think it's better now.
>>
>>44765234
Yeah it's a small downside. And to balance it out the upside is ???
>>
>>44765278
brev i'm just saying, if he wants to play a traditional longsword carrying paladin archetype, and not have a huge sword, hes really losing next to nothing to do it.

the upside is that if he gets a magical longsword he can use it both with a shield or without

the upside is he can wield his grandfathers blade

the upside is whatever he wants, with very very little mechanical drawback
>>
>>44755508
Literally last night: 3.5 I an Archivist and the Rogue had to sneak into a barracks full of men. Went through the sewers I nearly fell to my death. Later I saved the Rogue after he fell during a climb up some slippery rocks (rolled a 2)

Realized partway in that I could alter self into a Mountain folk which is REALLY useful. I managed to make a few strength checks to carry him up with my climb speed. Sadly he broke his fingers... and took massive damage which I healed.

Afterwards we snuck through a barracks full of sleeping men and eavesdropped on a company conversation relevant to plot. We then managed to sneak into almost every captains quarters available before going into the Commander of the Guards room after he left in a huff.

We stole the commanders entire hidden safe which I found when grabbing books on his shelf that seemed vital to what is happening plot wise. Rogue managed to break the safe it was full of books, envelopes and various other shit. Then we robbed his desk and took security postings and other various shit on top of copying their main map detailing what they are doing in the area.

Then we found out the captain of the guard who is the brother of our paladin's master imprisoned his brother. Oh and the shit we stole from his safe had a Seal on it which was abjuration and has an aura of conjuration. Not to mention the letters and other various shit we stole painted a picture that the company is no longer mining and might be sacrificing people to some temple they found underground and the temple might have a Dragon corpse possessed by a Demon from the Abyss. Oh and this demon can summon blood locusts that turn people into vampires.
>>
What are the best-organized D&D (and etc.) adventures you've seen? I know that the 5e ones are piss-poor and make running them a chore, but I don't have any examples of adventures organized correctly.
>>
>>44765840
The best well organized campaign I have ever been in is the OotA i'm currently playing in. The party is well balanced and gets along "relatively" well (I'm a LE warlock and one of the party members is a LG paladin that hates me and sorta wants to get rid of me, but I get along just fine with the NG nature cleric). The game also runs smooth and the DM can roll with anything on the fly.
>>
>>44765949
I meant like, adventure books. Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss are great adventures, yeah, but they're organized in a way that referencing things and keeping track of everything can be a chore, both in my experience and from people who have run them.
>>
>>44765949

He obviously means well written and layed out module.
>>
>>44757435
I don't think they would appreciate it all that well if they hadn't read what you're basing it on, honestly

SBR is pretty bizarre
>>
The Scout from UA is literally perfect. Exactly what I wanted in a nature-themed fighter.
>>
why don't druids get animal companions?
>>
>>44766322
because fuck you
>>
>>44766322
Because they don't need them and companions of all sorts are better handled by DM fiat than game mechanics, e.g. Beast Master being almost universally looked down upon.

Grab Speak with Animals and forge relationships with woodland critters.
>>
>>44766322
They might as an archetype, but it'll be fucking awful I bet...
>>
>>44766271
> When you make a check that allows you to apply your proficiency in Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival, you can expend one superiority die to bolster the check. Add half the number rolled on the superiority die (rounding up) to your check. You apply this bonus after making the check but before learning if it was successful.

What would you call this ability?
>>
>>44765051
A lot of 3.5 classes don't make sense as full classes in 5
>>
New DM here. My players are only level 2 and I'm having a hard time deciding the difficulty levels of Ability Checks. I just don't know how to decide how easy or difficult something should be yet.
>>
>>44766322
Well, they get awaken.
>>
>>44766365
Navigation Instinct.

Alternatively, boring, along with most of that class.
>>
File: DCs.png (87KB, 244x160px) Image search: [Google]
DCs.png
87KB, 244x160px
>>44766417
Use the difficulty guidelines and eyeball it from there. Ultimately it depends on the task at hand, maybe give us some examples of ones you can't decide on?
>>
What's the bestest archer build?
>>
>>44766460
Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
>>44766460
Somewhat Believable Edition: Variant human fighter, take Sharpshooter feat and Archery fighting style, start with a longbow. Go Battle Master and pick stuff like Trip Attack and Goading Attack that don't care about melee vs. ranged. Precision Attack is also great because you can get off the -5/+10 from sharpshooter with ease.

Ultra Cheese Edition: go Crossbow Expert instead, get a hand crossbow as quickly as possible, then grab Sharpshooter after your dex is at 20 (8th level with array/point buy, possibly earlier if you roll stats).

Grab magic initiate and steal Hex or Hunter's Mark to add on even more damage. Maybe get three rogue levels at some point if you've got a melee buddy so you can pick up its low-level goodies, go assassin if you do and snipe the shit out of people with surprise autocrits.
>>
>>44766460
Probably a a BM fighter. Racial options vary but a flying race is superb if you DM allows it. If flying is allowed I would suggest feral tiefling with the variant wings.

Variant human is also a solid choice with either sharpshooter or Alert (alert because the sooner in initiative you go the better chance you can distance yourself from the enemy before being engaged in melee. Sharpshooter is grand for damage but the gamble is pretty high at low levels unless you can gain advantage somehow.). Magic initiate is also a good choice for hex, making you more like a ranger (in a good way).
>>
So if I'm submitting something to the Dungeon Master's Guild, and I've used somebody's photoshop guide and template, is simply crediting them at the end good enough? I don't know the etiquette of this shit.
>>
>>44766507
>Hunter's Mark
You can't access the ranger or paladin spell lists with that feat. No cantrips, anyway.
>>
Rolling a character whose backstory involves them being a human that was (fairly recently) transformed into a Drow through some sort of macguffin.

Question is, where to draw the line with racial traits between Human and Elf? Obviously stuff like darkvision is in, and stuff like being guaranteed to now Elvish is out, but some things...it's tough to tell whether that would be the product of their just being an elf/drow or their upbringing. Magic, heck, even the sunlight sensitivity, for example.

Using the basic player's handbook for reference, if that matters.
>>
>>44766892
With this backstory and what it sounds like you are trying to do, my suggestion would be to be a half-elf (drow), and if you wish you could also use the variant rules to pick up drow magic. Either that or just be full drow.
>>
>>44766892
You could make a case for the magic, but balance wise unless the human is loosing his feats and/or skills it has to go.

The sunlight sensitivity comes with the darkvision.
>>
>>44766892
Would agree with >>44766957 use the Half-Elf (drow) variant from SCAG.
>>
>>44766892
If you were magically transformed into a Drow, wouldn't you be, for all intents and purposes, a Drow? You would retain all your class features and so forth, but you would lose all racial abilities from being a human, as per the Reincarnate spell.

Unless the macguffin only half-transformed you, in which case things would, of course, be different.

>>44766507
Ultra Cheese actually is BM Fighter 11 / Ambuscade Ranger 2 / Assassin Rogue 5 / Warlock 1 / Whatever The Fuck 1, wielding a heavy crossbow with 20 Dex, the Archery and Close Quarters Shooter Fighting Styles, and the Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expertise feats.

Open combat from stealth with surprise whenever possible. If circumstances are unfavorable, double Dash away with at least 90 ft. of movement a turn. For maximum speed and stealth, take Wood Elf as your race.

On your Ambuscade round, Hex and volley a faggot with your Attack, saving your superiority dice for Precision Attacks when you're going to miss. Don't forget to Sneak Attack. Then, Action Surge and Ready an Attack on some off-turn trigger so you can Sneak Attack again. Then your actual Surprise round begins, and you volley the faggot again in a similar fashion before Hiding with a bonus action and fucking off as fast as you can.

That's a potential total of 9 attacks (from 3 Extra Attacks), each with Sharpshooter applied, 3 3d6 Sneak Attacks, and 9d6 from Hex which all crit due to surprise. Attacks are made at +9 with advantage before magic items and superiority dice. The DM will invariably give enemies fuckhigh Perceptions or the Alert feat, but you still shit out a ton of damage before the first turn.
>>
After the end of my current quest line that's been going on for a year, I'm excited to come up to with new adventures. The most obvious plot hook right now is that one of my players gave his blood to a demon and recently learned what that entails. Basically although his body is still free roaming the upper world, his soul has been sent to a twisted version of Valhalla, where it fights every day at the behest of his demon prince in a war between all the Devils, and each time his soul reawakens after falling in battle he loses a bit of himself. What are some ways that I can go about the quest to retrieve his immortal soul? Thoughts and suggestions welcome
>>
>>44766322
Because he can charm an animal to be his buddy for a day at 1st Level.

Because he can summon a small army of animals when he hits 5th Level.

Because he can make just about any animal his buddy for thirty days (if not permanently) when he hits 9th level.
>>
>>44767344
yeah its there its just not explicitly a class feature

still i wish they had given them their own find familiar spell which let them make a permanent non combatant animal companion out the gate

but i guess just picking up animal buddies as you go along is kind of the same thing
>>
>>44761836
yeah this new thing wizards is doing is a website i'll never look at for pretty much this reason
>>
>>44767247
True Resurrection, Resurrection, Raise Dead and Revivify return creatures to life (with decreasing time limits) if the soul if free and willing. They may need to kill the actual body for it to work, but that's a secondary concern.

Your players' main problem is clearly the 'free' part, since he'll most certainly be willing. They're going to need to either Plane Shift (or similar) into Twisted Valhalla and break his soul out; or else contact the arbiter of this plane and bribe, lawyer and otherwise haggle for the soul back - hopefully without losing any of their souls in the process.

I'll note here that it's explicitly stated that demons are chaotically-aligned, while devils are the ones who are lawful. If the player didn't actually lose his soul in any sort of formal contract, but instead got sucked in by the influence of the entire plane itself, things may become rather more difficult, since the process may keep continually repeating upon his escape until his blood is no longer in the possession of that (or any) demon.
>>
>>44758953
all toes the same length
square feet
no nails
likely hard and caloused from walking barefoot everywhere

what are your thoughts anon?
>>
>>44767206
I suppose, but what I was kinda getting at was, like, sorting racial abilities into two piles: Shit They're Born With and Shit They Are Taught During Upbringing.

I guess, for a less magicky example I could ask what kind of traits a Drow who, say, spent all their life in Human culture wouldn't (and would) have.

I'm still kinda new to this, so if this all comes off as wacky, my apologies.
>>
>>44766817
Hex then cunt
>>
Nature cleric 17th lvl feature is useless
>>
>>44764418
>>44764443
>>44764244
It's worth saying whether the head was cleanly lopped off or blow off
a destroyed neck will not result in a healed nor short necked individual
>>
>>44767430
Darkvision, sunlight sensitivity, fey ancestry, keen senses and drow magic they are born with. Drow weapon training they learn.
>>
>>44767430
In that case, everything short of Drow Weapon Training, and arguably Drow Magic, are basically biologically inherent to Drow. Talk to your DM to see if he'll permit you to swap those out for something from Humans.
>>
>>44767452
In what way? It seems like it has a huge amount of out-of-combat potential.
>>
>>44767430
I'd suggest just using all the drow stats as per book
>>
>>44767475
What beasts/plants are you fighting at 17th level exactly?
>>
File: 1375869292259.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1375869292259.gif
999KB, 250x251px
>>44767492
>out-of-combat potential
>what are you fighting
>>
>>44767467
>>44767473
>>44767475
Thanks for the input, guys. Humans don't seem to have much physical/phenotypical/innate/whatever advantages, so as it is this build does seem a bit overpowering.

As it is, I'm thinking along the lines of what >>44767473 was thinking (w/o magic) and axing the free feat/skill and/or tanking the character's charisma stat (since they wouldn't be very comfortable in their own skin...right?) in exchange. Either way, I'll touch base with my DM.
>>
>>44767513
Thank you.

>>44767492
You've never found yourself caught in Dino land, have you?
>>
>>44767382
>>44761836
Yes, the only sort of outside homebrew I'd look for are individual things like ideas for magical items and unique creatures that I could pick and choose from. Although that kind of stuff is easy to think up oneself since they typically have little in the way of rules to balance. Just slap some silly effects on a stick and you're good to go most of the time.

Unless there's an all new homebrew Class or Race that knocks it out of the park with the concept and many people actually take to it, they'd probably be the last thing I'd consider.

Thinking about it from a producer's perspective, a class, a race, an item, whatever are things that perhaps one person in any game group will make use of, a fraction of the playerbase will want it. But a map, the entire party makes use of it when it comes into play. A library of well designed maps would be used and reused by DMs and walked through by adventurers all over.

Classes and Races are the kinds of things that go for a dollar or less. The kind of dime-a-dozen imagination thing that only needs a creator to work off the existing rules and plug in some words.

If DMG allows for people to submit a PDF which is just a whole bunch of nice maps, that'd be a prime pick. There is demand there, and it'd take more than some lines on gridpaper to be of worth, meaning that when it is done, it'll have some genuine value. Technical, artistic skill just to make it look nice. A mind for meager, reasonable, extravagant and extraordinary building design with varying aesthetic styles. Different kinds of wild landmasses and magical environments that could be formed. Locations that would be great for combat scenarios, special events as well as just looking pretty cool, and to visualize it would be ideal.

I'd buy a pack of maps.
>>
So what book is coming out next?
>>
>>44767768
We should have an announcement soon.
>>
Provided they have the toolkits needed do you as DMs allow your players to make potions?
>>
>>44767787
I let them craft potions of healing, if they have the will to.

I have yet to actually run into players who want to actively craft in 5e, though.
>>
>>44767513
What out of combat potential
>>
>>44755420
Im currently the DM of 2 partys and a player in a third.
one of the partys I DM to is all about violence.
They will kill npcs for no reason and bitch for any consequences it may bring them.
Also, they bitch on how they dont each have a +1 weapon and armor at level 5, because Im holding magic items on them.
One of them wont keep track of his ammo or coin, because it is boring.
>>
>>44767892
THIS SUMMER
ONE DM
IS ABOUT TO FIND OUT
THAT ONE GROUP
CAN ALL BE THATGUY

THIS SUMMER
LEGENDARY PICURES PRESENTS
"A TABLE OF VIRTS"
Rated pg-13
>>
>>44767787
Yes, but it costs mo-mo and tim-tim.
money and time.
>>
>>44767793
>>44767787
All I do when there's downtime is craft. There's a lot of opportunity for roleplaying AND mechanical benefits in putting those crafting tools to work.
Tools section is so woefully barren and not fleshed out. I try to make the most of it and houserule with my group to do some flavorful stuff.
For example:

Smith's Tools. Fighter would find the local blacksmith and offer to help out, making a couple weapons each day. Gets a small payout, makes a friend of the Blacksmith, gets a nice workout from hitting that anvil all week.

Alchemist's Supplies, Sorcerer would go picking flowers and haggle with the local apothecary owner for the components he needed to create potions for cheap. Couple days of letting them brew, he's made a few healing potions at a fraction of the cost it would have taken to buy them.

Painter's supplies. Bard would make a nice work of art that took a couple days and would try to sell it for a good chunk of cash. His paintings made him popular around town and got the party in to see some noble. The lot of them get to spend a week in some posh mansion while the Bard paints a portrait of the Duke who owns the place.

For virtually any artisan tool that could create superficial, subjective things, like the Bard painting a nice picture...
"Roll a d4 to determine how many Gold pieces you spent on materials for this work.
"Roll a d20 + Proficiency to determine the relative quality that may actually entice more wealthy people.
"Natural 1 is a failed piece, you may as well throw it out. Value of less than 1 GP.
"2-6 is yard sale level, you're lucky if you break even. Value of 1d4 GP.
"7-15 is good quality, the kind of thing you'd find in a nice tavern. Value of up to 20GP.
"16+ is an excellent piece, a noble is likely to pay handsomely for it. Value of up to 50GP.
"Natural 20 is a stellar work of art fit for a king. Value of up to 100GP if not more."

Something like that.
>>
>>44767768

>WoTC
>Releasing books

hhhehehehehe
>>
>>44768305
More like
>modern WotC
>releasing books
>>
>>44767892
So, no political fuckery then.

Just general fuckery.
>>
File: 1449910932070.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449910932070.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
>>44756289

While I'm not running a SBR campaign I'm currently using the holy corpse as the McGuffin they're officially on the hunt for the others now.

None of the players has touched the first corpse part yet, fucking pussies.
>>
>only female player in grouis female aasimar sun soul monk whose celestial ancestor is "the sun"
>other player is basically Solaire of Astora
>they have no idea
>>
>>44768552
no idea about what?
>>
>>44768573
>player one is basically the sun
>player two is obsessed with the sun
They told me what their characters are. We aren't playing until tomorrow
>>
>>44768573
I think he's saying that the player made a character resembling another but doesn't actually know the reference material.
>>
>>44768637
Oh, haha... this will be fun.
>>
>>44768552
Will your campaign at some point involve the moon crashing into the earth and/or the sun going out?
>>
My spells so far, as a 5th level Diviner Wizard:

Cantrips:
Firebolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, True Strike

1st level:
Fog Cloud, Grease, Identify, Shield, Silent Image, Witch Bolt, Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar

2nd:
Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Alter Self, See invisibility

3rd:
Tongues, Fireball

What do you think /dnd/? Y/N? I still have chance to change the 3rd level spells.
>>
>>44768857
Well, well, well... it seems we have a blaster here, boys and girls.
You clearly arent a min/maxer. We respect that.

Tongues can be useless if you DM doesnt bother with leanguages, if he uses it a lot, is good.

No minor Ilusion as a cantrip? You got balls.
>>
>>44768857
>>44768895

>it seems we have a blaster here, boys and girls.

I mean, at 5th level fireball is actually pretty damn impactful, blasting isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Though he really needs some good concentration spells, like come on, alter self? If you can find a place to buy a 2nd level scroll you should consider picking up something like Flaming Sphere.

And yeah, tongues is pretty bad, it can be flavorful but it's also pretty unlikely to actually come up.

Much better to either pick something flavor appropriate to the character but which would still be useful, like Clairvoyance, or a powerful buff like Fly or Haste.
>>
>>44768857
Look kiddo, Im the best D&Dnext player this board has to offer. I was shitting on it even before it came out. I tryed those so called min/maxing builds so many people talk about and found them beath my capabilities.
When I see a spell selection like that I just dont even... HARD. I woudlnt allow anyone in MY party with that list and if I was the GM I would outright make you a target.
That said, lets try to fix your shit, at the expense of my precious time and sanity.
First.
Your fucking cantrips.
Prestidigitation? True Strike? Mage hand?
And NO MINOR ILUSION?
What kind of bullshit is that? Is this bait? If it is, 7/10, made me reply, asshole.
1st Level
Where the fuck is your arcane armor? I hope the other people in your group are doing their fucking jobs, otherwise you're dead, kiddo.
Kudos on the find familiar and shield. Nothing like getting advantage for free just for telling your pet to give you advantadge as a free action. At least you have some common sense. Comprehend languages? No, fuck you. You are supposed to be a god, not some bitch that talks to people.
2nd Level
Thats it? No invisibility? Bait.
3rd Level
Tongues.
Fucking tongues.
What the fuck will you do with this fucking spell? Nothing. You will never use it. Who gives a shit about what the orcs or giants are saying, you are just going to kill them.

So a big fat NO to you, kiddo.
Better luck next time.
>>
>>44769004
We have a blaster here guy!

I agree with you, anon!

I hope his play style doesnt come off as frustrating for him because of his spell selection.
>>
>>44768895
Are you trying to sound like a redneck from the swamp?
I read that as if you were a redneck from the swamp.
>>
>>44769023
>Kudos on the find familiar and shield. Nothing like getting advantage for free just for telling your pet to give you advantadge as a free action.
Is that a thing?
>>
>>44768895
>>44769057

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lKCfLba0OH

my mic sucks
>>
>>44769080

The familiar can use the help action to give people advantage on shit.
It's really pretty dumb.
>>
>>44768895
>>44769048
>>44769023

Keep in mind it's my first DnD session, so I'm still a newbie and the other players were experienced in 3rd edition only, so it's also technically the first session too. That also goes for my DM.

I picked up the spells that seemed useful, not min/maxers. That said I think I should change the Tongues spell, maybe
Clairvoyance?

And yes, it's a bit frustrating, and the fact that the DM gives VERY few scrolls and/or includes NPC wizards that I can interact and trade spells with it's no help.
>>
>>44769108
it's magic you ain't got to explain shit
>>
>>44769229

Clairvoyance is a fine spell if you want something flavorful, it's pretty much guaranteed to come in handy every now and then.
>>
So if I have a two handed sword and a longbow, I can stow the sword for free, but need an action to draw the bow, right?

What if I have a sword and a shield? Put shield away for free, action to sheathe sword, next turn draw bow for free?
>>
>>44769303
you can draw in the same action used to attack
>>
>>44768895

I had to have blast spells since we have one barbarian and no fighters... so yeah it's pretty much fucked up, lol

Now that I think about it, I should work on spells to buff people. Maybe that'd help better instead of doing damage outright.
>>
>>44769303
Equipping/unequipping a shield is always an action
>>
>>44769329
Oh, really? That's a bit of a bummer.

>>44769311
Right, which would just be using the next turn's free action instead of this turn's action.
>>
>>44768857
In the interests of a second (third?) opinion, I'll run through your spell list as well.

>Cantrips
Firebolt is a good damage cantrip, but consider taking a second damage cantrip if you don't have the stats to use a weapon. You don't want to be fucked over if your DM throws something with fire resistance at you.

Mage Hand and Prestidigitation are the sorts of spells you use out of combat to pull hilarious bullshit. I personally never build a Wizard without at least one of them. Another such spell is Minor Illusion, which is hilarious due to the fact that inspecting the illusion to disbelieve it is an action. Try to take Minor Illusion somewhere along the line, but read the description carefully so you're aware of its limitations.

While True Strike is literally the only Divination cantrip available to you, it won't see play 99% of the time, as simply attacking with the action you use to cast it is mechanically superior. The exceptions are when you can cast it out of initiative prior to combat, and when you have a high-level ranged spell attack that you definitely do not want to miss and waste the slot of - however, most attack spells you take will likely be save-based anyway. The only applicable spells you currently have are Witch Bolt (which is kind of shit) and Scorching Ray (which has multiple attack rolls, diminishing the usefulness of True Strike).

tl;dr, True Strike is pretty shit. Swap it out for something else. Take it later if you really want to.

>1st level
Generally decent picks, except that Witch Bolt is pretty shit for a damage cantrip, as it deals continuous, mediocre damage, instead of simply hitting the enemy for damage upfront and taking it out of the battle faster. Remember - most combats don't last more than 5 rounds at most. Comprehend Languages similarly isn't a spell that will see use often, unless you're in a political intrigue campaign, because most races that have languages already speak Common.
>>
>>44769355
>2nd level
Also decent. See Invisibility is questionable, but I suppose you're going for Divinations for flavor. For that purpose, I would personally have gone for Detect Thoughts myself, but pick what you prefer.

>3rd level
Tongues won't see much use for the same reason as Comprehend Languages. Fireball is decent at 5th level. Consider taking Haste or Fly for combat purposes.

Also remember that, as it's cheaper for you to copy Divination spells into your spellbook from external sources than other spells, it's actually more advantageous to learn non-Divination spells as you level up, and get your Divination spells from elsewhere.
>>
>>44769338
Drawing to attack does not count as using your interact with an object action. You can sheath a weapon then draw and attack with another all on the same turn. And dropping a weapon isn't an action at all, so you could technically drop and draw a fresh weapon with every attack. I'm pretty sure you'd cause someone to sperg out in the process though.
>>
>>44769318
Get spells which take creatures out of the fight temporarily so that the Barbarian has to keep less enemies occupied, and your party can focus on taking enemies out one at a time.

For instance, Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Web or Stinking Cloud.
>>
>>44769377
So can I make multiple attacks with throwing weapons in a round, as if they were ammo?
>>
>>44769440
Yes.
>>
>>44769355
>>44769375
>>44769414

Many thanks. I'll try to squeeze my DM for more spells. That, or I'll just have to wait for my Wizard to get killed and make another, now with your advice in mind. In this case I wonder if I should go with diviner as well.
>>
>>44769377
This is incorrect.

>Your turn can include a variety of flourishes that require neither your action nor your move.
>You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.
>If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action.
'Draw or sheathe a sword' is later listed as an example interaction.

As such, you may perform one interaction for free, and interacting with additional objects requires the Use an Object action. The fact that the interaction may occur as part of your Attack action has no bearing on the limitation that you may only have one.
>>
>>44769452
While a DM is not obliged to give you additional spells - you're already getting them from your class - you can request them as rewards from your adventures.

One other hilarious thing you can do is have two Wizards in the party, each with spells from the other's school, and then copy spells from each other's spellbooks at half price and time, doubling the contents of your spellbooks. This will, of course, still be quite expensive.
>>
>>44769452

I'd argue that Diviner and Abjurer are the two most powerful specializations, closely followed by Conjurer and Transmuter. Necromancer is pretty lackluster, Enchanter is strange because it isn't really doing what a Wizard usually wants to be doing and Illusionist pretty bad until it hits it's level 14 ability at which point it arguably becomes the most powerful one.
>>
>>44769463
So I guess all thrown weapon builds are busted.
THANKS WOTC.
>>
>>44769503
Indeed.

Unless you're a Thief Rogue who's taken levels in Fighter for Extra Attack and Archery or Close Quarters Shooter Fighting Style, and chucks darts at faggots while using your bonus action to Use an Object and draw more darts. Even so, you're still pretty shit, because thrown weapons have next to no support from most class features.
>>
>>44769503
There's a reason the "Boomerang Throwing Axe" EK build doesn't really work.

That said, I like "drawing a weapon can be part of an attack action rather than your free action" enough that I might houserule it.
>>
If two wizards use Ray of Frost against the same enemy, is its speed reduced by 20 feet overall?
>>
>>44769673
No
>>
>>44769673
Effects from the same source don't stack
>>
File: FABPm.jpg (306KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FABPm.jpg
306KB, 1280x720px
Is using a reach weapon with polearm master as a paladin somehow a bad idea?
>>
>>44769722
No

Print off the mounted combat rules now, your DM will need them later
>>
>>44769711

Can a creature gain the same condition from multiple sources?

Like, if one spellcaster cast Evard's Black Tentacles and another cast Web, would a creature gain the Restrained quality twice and need to save against both of them each turn?
>>
>>44769886
I believe so.

I wouldn't say that that creature gains the Restrained condition twice per se, but it would be Restrained until it satisfies the escape conditions for both spells.
>>
anything weird in the Elemental Evil spell lists I need to know about before allowing it?
>>
What would you think if your DM told you the setting would be a "burn the witch" type of world, and you can only roll a spellcaster with permission from the rest of the group?

He may or may not have also alluded to making the sorcerer's critical failure table global.
>>
How do we fix Hoard of the Dragon Queen?
>>
What's the composition of your party, /tg/?

Monk, paladin, cleric, wizard, ranger here.
>>
>>44770103

Barbarian
Wizard
Cleric/Fighter
Bard
Ranger
>>
>>44770099
I would enjoy the ride.

Seriously, 11/10, would play.
>>
>>44770103
Rogue/Shadowdancer
Fencer/Wizard
Limit Knight
Samurai
Fighter/Cleric/Bladedancer

I'm pretty much the only core only character, consequently, I'm basically the weakest if not for a few gadgets the DM gave my character throughout the game.
>>
>>44770103
party 1: bard, fighter, fighter, sorcerer, druid, monk

party 2: paladin, wizard, bard, [homebrew class secret for plot reasons]
>>
>>44770165
>[homebrew class secret for plot reasons]
Uggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh...
>>
>>44770103
I don't have a party ;_;
>>
File: 1370562563547.gif (250KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1370562563547.gif
250KB, 256x192px
>>44770180
>>44770165
I'm guessing multiclass in Warlock?

>>44770181
Pic related.
>>
>>44770103
Druid
Rouge
Paladin
fucking special snowflake min max sorlock mary sue background who doesnt like to RP
>>
>>44770103
Bard, bard, bard, sorcerer.
I'm the sorcerer.
I think they're mocking how I always play bards usually...
>>
File: NoFunAllowed.jpg (12KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
NoFunAllowed.jpg
12KB, 218x231px
>>44770180
>>
>>44770102
By rewriting the second book and shortening the caravan section from book 1
>>
>>44770103

Barbarian, Rogue, Cleric, Cleric, Wizard(Me).
>>
>>44770103
Paladin, Sorcerer, Rogue

Paladin, sorcerer, wizard, ranger, bard
>>
>>44770180
I'll spoil it with Arcana checks soon enough.

>>44770202
Nah, they're martial. Only class specific thing I've seen them do is some 1d4 lightning shit tacked on to a regular attack.
>>
>>44770103
Wizard, Fighter, Monk, Paladinx2
>>
>>44770224
>>44770103
My current party is three paladins.
We were sent out by the not!pope to combat heresy.
>>
>>44770270
>I'll spoil it with Arcana checks soon enough
Fair enough.
>>
>>44770303
Deus Vult
>>
>>44770103
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Paladin

Yeah we suck at most things.
>>
>>44770312
Ad Victoriam, brother.
>>
>>44770227
Yeah, because it's a blast when a player refuses to disclose their capabilities because muh mysterious guy.
>>
>>44770314

You can always hit things a lot until they fall down.

At least you don't have any squishies to babysit
>>
What think?

>homebrew subclass idea
>rogue subclass
>holy agent
>Paladin-Rogue hybrid
>knows a few spells, focused on sneaking and doing damage
>does stealth
>is basically a paladin assassin, without the moral code
>>
>>44770390
So the Inquisitor from Pathfinder?
Be more creative, anon. Why do you assassinate people? Why does the religion tolerate you?
And most importantly, how does it fit into Forgotten Realms, since that's the only allowed homebrew setting these days.
>>
>>44770411

>how does it fit into Forgotten Realms, since that's the only allowed homebrew setting these days.

So why exactly DID they make the Realms the default setting? That place is such a fucking mess of retcons and bullshit.

Just for the sake of name recognition?
>>
>>44770390
Why is it necessary compared to a Rogue/Paladin multiclass? Or compared to just a rogue? The only answer I see seems to be "because muh paladin code", which is only the entire point of the paladin.
>>
>>44770434
I think because of the video games.

Grognards will nard their grogs, but new players who played the video games might be turned off if everything is immediately different from what they expected. Keeping it consistent across mediums helps players of one transition to the other.
>>
>>44770434
People like the Realms, probably because they grew up with it.
It's not really default anyway; 5e doesn't have a default setting.
>>
>>44770448
I'm glad you asked.
Divine spells and connecting the character to a church.
Stop worshipping your god, lose your spells. Move more than one alignment step away from your god, lose your spells. Get excommunicated, lose your spells.
It combines stealth with cleric spells, that's why.
>>
>>44770448
>Rogue/Paladin multiclass
Because that's real fuckin' practical.
>>
>>44770471
>Divine spells and connecting the character to a church.
>Stop worshipping your god, lose your spells. Move more than one alignment step away from your god, lose your spells. Get excommunicated, lose your spells.
>It combines stealth with cleric spells, that's why

So... all you really want is for clerics to fall.
>>
>>44770488
No, I want assassin clerics.
Or more specifically paladins who won't shy from breaking the law if it's needed in service of the church.
>>
I'm making a ranged rogue next week

What would be the best sceme to take?
Should I just make my own?
What would be the best multi class for this kind of play style ?
>>
>>44770504
Vengeance Paladins are already that, just multiclass into Rogue for a few levels and bam, done.
>>
>>44770390
So avengers?
>>
>>44770514
>MC into rogue
>needs 13 STR, DEX, CHA
>>
>>44770466

That's the most sensical explanation I suppose

>>44770468

>It's not really default anyway; 5e doesn't have a default setting.

Aren't you required to use it if you wanna publish shit on the OGL publishing thing?
Sounds pretty default to me.
>>
>>44770535
Yes, they've made it the required setting for the OGL, but they're probably going to let us do Eberron stuff too after they release the official Eberron book.
>>
>>44770529
You can have 15, 15, 13, 8, 8, 8 with 4 points left over using 27 point buy before racial modifiers. What's the problem?
>>
>>44770529
Should you make a homebrew every time a RP-heavy build gets too MAD?
>>
>>44770566
Getting items for that build and keeping it competitive is sure going to be fun and easy!
>>
>>44770508
>What would be the best sceme to take?
For killing? Assassin.
>Should I just make my own?
No.
>What would be the best multi class for this kind of play style ?
Fighter or ranger, but just for the fighting style.
>>
>>44770471
This is bad. And in any case, it's place is as a setting detail not actual mechanics.
>>
>>44770570
>Should you make a homebrew every time a RP-heavy build gets too MAD?
And, on that day Anon finally figured out where all these shitty homebrews keep coming from.
>>
>>44770558

I think it's lame, I've never been much of a fan of FR and it's such a strange move given how much the Core books for 5e actually do to give information on a bunch of different settings.

>after they release the official Eberron book.

hhhehehehe
>>
>>44770597
They released a conversion book, not a setting book.
>>
>>44770578
A Dex-based Paladin is a difficult build to maintain? There's no reason to need to push your Str past 13 or use it for that build.

Not to say that it's well-optimized or even particularly useful, but still.
>>
We need a throwing-weapon fighting style or subclass
>>
>>44770103
Good comp.

The party for the game I'm DMing is:

Tiefling vengeance paladin
Halfling Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster
Human Lore College Bard/Rogue
Human Battlemaster Fighter
Kobold Life Cleric
>>
>>44770597
I think it's largely because they don't want contrib material to contradict their published stuff.

It's still super-lame, and it excludes custom setting work as well. I'm just glad I was planning to open-source anyway.
>>
>>44770659

They just need to tweak the rules so that throwing weapons are worth it in themselves
>>
>>44770661

>Kobold Life Cleric

*Cough*
>>
File: Trash.jpg (105KB, 398x503px) Image search: [Google]
Trash.jpg
105KB, 398x503px
>>44770661
>kobold
>>
>>44770659
Would you fucking stop? You're not getting any results by posting this every couple of hours.

Brew it yourself or shut up. Fuck, man, they'll even pay you to do it now.
>>
>>44770661
>Tiefling vengeance paladin
I am the Night

>Halfling Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster
Either hilarious or memey as fuck

>Human Lore College Bard/Rogue
Vanilla

>Human Battlemaster Fighter
Vanilla

>Kobold Life Cleric
Excuse me?
>>
>>44770103
>Dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer, aloofness out of game translates in game as well
>Mountain Dwarf Fighter, can't grow a beard, will throw his battleaxe at you to run up and punch you if you bring it up
>Ghostwise Halfling Cleric, thinks she's everyone's mom and lets them know
And then the rest of the surviving OotA NPC cast.
>>
File: HowHorrifying.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
HowHorrifying.png
117KB, 444x440px
>>44770738
>dwarf
>can't grow a beard
What an abomination
>>
>>44770738
>will throw his battleaxe at you to run up and punch you if you bring it up
What does he do when he they're faster than him and runs out of battleaxes?
>>
>>44770701

>Human Battlemaster Fighter
>Vanilla

Yeah, so boring. It's not like there's anything to a character other than class and race, right?
>>
>>44770807
>Yeah, so boring. It's not like there's anything to a character other than class and race, right?

Were we discussing anything beyond race and class? I said the race and class were vanilla, not that the player was a boring person from a boring family and traced his ancestry back to a boring nation.
>>
>>44770761
Welcome to Darksun, motherfucker.
>>
File: 1435464337595.jpg (64KB, 1024x815px) Image search: [Google]
1435464337595.jpg
64KB, 1024x815px
>>44770761
That's why he left his keep after getting no respect, to pursue his family's long-honored tradition of skullcrushing. Also why he flies off when it's mentioned.
>>44770778
Haven't had that problem yet, still trying to get out of the Underdark and everything wants to eat or kill us more than run.

We had a half-elf rogue as well before the character got themselves killed and the player had to take a break for IRL shit. The entire reason the dwarf busted out the bars in the first prison room was because the elf made a snide remark and they were the only thing in the way.
It's gimmicky, but a better defining trait than anything the sorcerer's done, unless playing 3DS is a character trait.
>>
>>44770778

The thing dwarves usually do when someone outruns them.

Swear profusely, stamp the ground like a toddler and go home to drink himself into unconsciousness
>>
File: tumblr_mbwmzl9nwc1rejsa3o2_250.gif (806KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbwmzl9nwc1rejsa3o2_250.gif
806KB, 245x200px
>>44770103
Bard
Druid
Rogue
Battlemaster
EK (player runs same character in every campaign)
Sorlock (wanted to be warlock but party wanted me to be wild sorcerer, so now I make sure to surge when they are bunched up in hopes of rolling a fireball mishap)
>>
>>44770846
And shout suspiciously British-sounding threats in the offender's direction.
>>
Made a warforged stand-in race for a custom setting due to unhappiness with the UA one. Added subraces: one for 'forged classic, one for fantasy R2D2:
> +1 Con, immune to non-magic poison and disease, can attune to armor they're proficient with for ac+1
> Subrace 1: +2 Str, Intimidate proficiency, can attune to a melee weapon they're proficient with to impose disadvantage on attempts to disarm him.
> Subrace 2: +2 Int, arcana proficiency, may cast Identify as a ritual.

Too much bleed into features that should be class/archetype features or nah?
>>
File: Ar'Tur Dent portrait.png (293KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ar'Tur Dent portrait.png
293KB, 500x600px
>>44770103
Playing OotA

Female Dwarven Warlock (who is greatly concerned about her looks)

Goliath Barbarian (who is a Groot clone, can only say "Oatmeal")

Me- Human Knowledge Cleric- Pic fucking Related.

I was the one who sprung us from the initial jail... I still feel pretty dirty about it, ended up getting two NPCs killed. But yeah, I'm a "Planar Hitchhiker" wondering what kind of trouble Ford got me into this time.

And we have two more unknowns who are supposed to be joining us. Not sure what they are playing.

Having only played one session, I think I'm really going to dig this adventure.
>>
>>44769722
why would you even ask this question
>>
>>44771097

>>Goliath Barbarian (who is a Groot clone, can only say "Oatmeal")

derisive_snort.wav

Tell me it's less annoying than it sounds.
>>
>>44770211
>>44770314
my party is similar to these

druid
rogue (moi)
monk
fighter
paladin

our only caster is the druid, and he spends most of his time as a bear

so mostly we just get up close and personal and break things until problem solved

i think i'm the only character with a ranged weapon and the stealth skill

>>44770164
wtf
>>
>>44771152
It actually isn't too bad. He pantomimes almost everything, so it's entertaining at least.

Honestly, considering the cast of NPCs they threw into OotA, he fits right in.
>>
>>44770485
Its really not that bad.

Auto crit smite from stealth is ridiculous.

If you had two brain cells to rub together, you could think of more cool combos.
>>
>>44771191
While I do not disagree that Rogue/Paladin is far from the worst of combinations, given that you can only Smite from melee, I cannot imagine that as anything other than stabbing someone in the back and going 'Nothin personnel kid'.
>>
>>44771191
Plus, you're literally Batman, depending on the background you took.
>>
>>44771232
well... you probably need to take a break from 4chan then
>>
>>44771191
If you had 2 brain cells to rub together, you'd realize you're working with a 3-4 ASD.

Manageable, and maybe good if you're going from Paladin into Rogue, but far from auto-take, and horseshit if you're going from Rogue to Paladin.

If you've got the stats for it, go for it.
>>
>>44771301
What do you actually need beyond Dex, Cha and 13 Str?

Well, I suppose Con is nice to have, but that applies to all classes. It isn't strictly necessary, since it's not like you're going to be maintaining concentration checks for multiple rounds.

Again, it's not the best of builds, but it's far from unviable.
>>
File: 1425673061222.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1425673061222.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>44771232
>He can't see why a justice seeking warrior with a trickster side and quick wits/skills isn't a fedoratanaenchcoat
That's unfortunate.

I think the best way to do it might be to put 13 in Dex, first level in Paladin, max Str, and use a rapier with shield to proc sneak attack when possible. Dex isn't a bad thing to keep at +1, and bonus dice when working with allies or after knocking enemies prone is good.
>Shield Master for bonus action knock prone, advantage grants sneak attack while you stab/smite them
>>
>>44771382
>Con is nice to have
>Paladin
>nice to have
>Con
*headslam*
>>
>>44771382
The con is needed for everyone so you have enough hp to not die in melee. You want a +1 there at least, ideally 14 or above. INT and WIS can be freely dumped, but dat perception man.
>it's not like you're going to be maintaining concentration checks for multiple rounds
>paladin
come on man.
>>
>>44771401
>justice seeking
Anon, I... think it's pretty clear he's just a Charlatan background Sun Soul Monk with possible levels in Mastermind Rogue.
>>
>>44771301
just go non variant human or half elf and you can easily figure out the stats with point buy

but paladins and rogues both have tons of defensive and offensive abilities, so i don't think the stats are such a problem like they are on some other classes.

yes your con might cap out at 12, but you have so many ways to mitigate damage to yourself and heal yourself.

yes your dex might cap out at 18 instead of 20 (lets face it, you're definitely pumping dex if you do this, so i doubt what i'm saying even but lets just say) but thats -1 to hit on a class which wants advantage on hitting people and has class features via paladin for helping them do it. plus skill wise you are taking expertise in stealth anyway.

yes your charisma might never be above 16 or 18 but you can expertise your social skills if you want, and you... idk this just is whatever. i might even prioritize this over dex if you really want to go for it as you can bump your accuracy with class features and spells and the meat of your damage is from smite and sneak attack anyway. but that might be too madman idk.

yes you need to have 13 strength. that just makes you better at jumping and climbing. not that bad.

so you need charisma and dex, followed by con. then you need to hit 13 strength. thats pretty much how life is for all characters. needing a few stats.
>>
>>44771473
By that logic, Dex is needed by everyone so you don't go last in combat.

Con is useful for everyone to have, without exception, but can't reasonably be said to be an especial dependency for classes that don't have a use for it beyond having more hitpoints.

Admittedly, I had momentarily forgotten about Shield of Faith, so my bad there, but I was thinking that a Rogue/Paladin multiclass would be more focused on casting Smite spells, which tend to be expended in the same turn as they are cast.
>>
>>44771538
plus if you ended up say 12 rogue 8 paladin you would have 6 ASIs, more than just a paladin, same as a rogue.
>>
File: 1436716761358.jpg (39KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
1436716761358.jpg
39KB, 233x233px
>>44771488
W-why anon, I also... agree that would be a better way to stat Joseph himself, but characters like him and the other Jojos, still being shonen protagonists, can serve as good inspiration for paladins. Even so, Joseph is paladin-like in his actions sometimes. Never running unless it's a ruse to draw the enemy away from noncombatants, fighting to save the world, having a hotheaded blonde Italian fighting companion/boyfriend
It sure wasn't legit to have an affair or lie to Suzy about his whereabouts, but we don't know much about their life between BT and SC
>>
>>44771538
>con might cap out at 12
Yeah, those d8 hit dice'll make up for it.

And as a frontliner with lots of buff spells, you don't really have to worry about con saves against disrupting concentration.

Oh, wait, I goofed: it's actually the opposite
>>
>>44770038
>>
>>44771606
ok so you have one idea of how to play this character

i wasn't even imagining a front liner. you literally have to be trolling me if your idea of a holy assassin is a guy up front maintaining concentration on shield of faith and tanking

so... good bait i guess? since i responded? idk what you want
>>
>>44771644
I didn't make the homebrew, I'm just calling you an idiot.

There are 80+ unique posters in this thread. If anonymous posting confuses you, go back to GITP.
>>
>>44771644
Paladins are intrinsically designed to be frontliners. You can't Smite from range. How exactly did you intend to play such a character from range?
>>
>>44771682
lmao dude thats not even what i was saying you need to go back to school and learn better reading comprehension. sorry i won't shit this thread up any more by responding to you

sorry to all my fellow fa/tg/uys
>>
>>44771704
He just doesn't want you to be the big guy with a shield, he wants you to be the rogue behind the enemy, stabbing them in the back.
Just with a smite bonus.
>>
>>44771711
> can't follow a conversation
> accuses anon of crappy reading comprehension
Ok.
>>
>>44771704
the same way you would play a rogue who uses daggers in melee to sneak attack. you go up front, you aren't an archer, but you aren't a tank

but literally i imagine you would use ranged combat mostly and get up close when you want to smite

or you could wear heavy armor half the time and be a tank (relying on good positioning with cunning action and surviving with things like uncanny dodge) and then when its time to assassinate dignitaries you can take off your armor, plan for a week as a good assassin does, and when the timing is right toss more dice than you've ever tossed in your life.

or you could idk be an archer paladin rogue and just use branding smite and whatever the other smite spell is that doesn't specify melee.

or.... 1000 other things

i think this is same fagging with that other troll but if its not you guys use your heads. you can do anything you want in this game.
>>
>>44771724
I'd still be fighting at the front line, though.

Unless he intends me to Smite from the second line with a whip. Which is a hilarious mental image in itself.
>>
>>44771577
If you're in melee, you need HP. You'll live it you're slow, not so much if you can't take a hit
>>
>>44771782
There are few mechanics that prevent the inevitable ranged enemies from targeting your squishy casters in the back either. Everyone needs hp.

Con is a useful tertiary or quarternary stat to all characters without exception, but it's not crucial to most characters as primary or secondary stats are.
>>
>>44771600
That cheating thing was just an excuse to
a)use jotaro, not as in a father figure
b)shit on old people and hamon lovers
>>
Okay, so which homebrew race (or any race, really) should l include in my Arabian Nights' setting?
From most common to rarest, here's what l have in mind:
>Dwarves, proud sultans and lords of giant cities
>Humans, workers and warriors, live close with the dwarves
>Elves, mystics and hunters of the desert, usually live far from other races. Half-elves are fated to live with humans
>Dragonborns, once honourable warriors, now lazy and fat kings of golden cities
>Loxodons, ancient and wise hermits

Orcs, halflings, tieflings and gnomes are either too rare or too distant.
>>
>>44755420
>I shoot my arrow/spell and run behind cover
>enemie does the same thing
>player calls it bullshit
>>
>>44755741
I'm doing the same thing. It's not retarded, but its also not optimal. The point here is to make your character the best character not the best pike of numbers.
>>
>>44771932
Fat dragonborn sound amusing
>>
>>44771932
Genasi are vaguely genie-flavored. Up to you, though.
>>
>>44770103
Monk
Barbarian
Warlock
Wizard with 1 level in cleric for some reason
>>
>>44772065
Wizard probably just wanted cure wounds handy.
>>
>>44771932
>not Dragonborns, descendants of ancient dragons who once ruled the deserts eons ago, now proud warriors who live by tradition and honor amidst the sands their ancestors roamed
>not Elves, once mystics and hunters who fled a cataclysm in their otherworldly realm for the far more forgiving harsh sands of the desert, now lazy and fat kings atop crystal spires
>not Humans, proud sultans and lords of giant golden cities. Half-elves are fated to be thrown out into the sands, inheritor to neither crystal nor gold
>not Dwarves, fat, short men who dig holes
>>
>>44771711
>you need to go back to school
>eschews all punctuation
My sides.
>>
>>44772065
>>44772085
Could have partially been a dip for heavy armor. I could see an Int/Wis Dwarf Cleric 1/Wizard X with Con tertiary as somewhat viable. No one cares about the Wizard capstone anyway.
>>
Paladin/Rogue sounds amusing. If you took variant human to pick up booming blade or greenflame blade, that sneak attack assasinate smite would be hilarious.
>>
new thread when
>>
I want to play a loli magical girl caster of some sort.

Before I even begin thinking about classes, would this raise any major red flags if a player showed up at your table with that concept?
>>
>>44772223
>Before I even begin thinking about classes, would this raise any major red flags if a player showed up at your table with that concept?
If you have to ask, you already know the answer.
>>
>>44772223
Of course.
>>
>>44764934
Fuck you, UA's are literally just homebrew with a fucking brand name.
>>
>>44772223
You just need a silly as fuck campaign to play it in.
>>
>>44772223
No, but then again I only play with my friends, so.
>>
>>44772223
i would in my head think you were a little weird but wouldn't say anything in person or really care, unless you really just went there with the magical realm part of it and had to make things sexual or something.

if you just want to play a little girl then... thats not really bad to me
>>
>>44772263
Naw they are better. Scout is the perfect ranger. Delete rangers forever.
>>
>>44772223
Yes.

If I were the DM I'd let you do that and immediately you'd get cursed to be an 18 year old man. :^)
>>
>>44772223
If this is your starting point, you should just go play MAID or Magical Burst and have done with it.

I personally want to play a Warlock whose pact is ambiguously with an entity who may just be a figment of their own imagination. Once I realized that would literally be a character whose power came from their imaginary friend, playing a kid seemed to be the natural conclusion. But I'd never bring that to my table, because I'd probably get laughed out the door.
>>
>>44772305
What would happen is that the first time the character cast a spell that objectively worked, it would be clear that the patron is not imaginary and that would be the end of that.
>>
>>44772263
The core rules are just homebrew with a brand name
>>
>>44772223
I'd force you to skip the first two rounds of each combat due to transformation sequence.
>>
>>44772372
What if the ambiguity is more like "it's the imaginary friend" or "it's another patron and her warlocking requests are apparently getting to the wrong address"?
>>
NEW THREAD >>44777777
>>
>>44772372
Let me ask you: if a little girl believes with all her heart that an invisible magical teddy bear would protect her from the bad man who's about to stab her, would she be more surprised if it happened or didn't happen?

It's obviously the power of belief! Don't you believe in magic in a young girl's heart?
>>
>>44772400
But it's not the imaginary friend. Because the imaginary friend is imaginary. Of course the patron is someone else, because the patron exists. A character who's completely and obviously mistaken about a fundamental aspect of his chosen profession would probably wear thin pretty quickly.
>>
>>44772223
You must mulitclass into bard and sing your theme song.
>>
>>44770529
Actually, no. Nothing ever states that you need the multiclass stats to start in the class. Start as paladin, buy your equipment if you need, pump your dex instead of strength and multi into rogue. EZ PZ
>>
>>44772444
Yes, an imaginary friend in a world where you can spontaneously conjure beings into existence because you really really want to, and your great grandfather fucked a dragon.

Do you really believe a being can't come into existence based on faith alone?
>>
As a DM, if a grown man wanted to play a little girl character, I would either:

1. Kill off the character instantly if I knew the guy.
2. Tell him he is not welcome at the group if I did not know him.
>>
>>44772469
Multiclassing rules specifically state you need to meet your class requirements to multiclass out of it as well.

>>44772482
>little girl can play grown man
>grown man can't play little girl
You can't say that, that's sexist! Or ageist! Or something!
>>
>>44772441
Surprises happen. Reality does not rewrite itself to prevent surprises. Something can be surprising to someone without being impossible or even unlikely. Indeed, if you're bad enough at predicting the future, as young children often are, you can be surprised by something that was in fact inevitable.
>>
>>44772494
>Reality does not rewrite itself to prevent surprises
In a world of wizards, sorcerers, paladins and dragons, where gods and mortals alike can gain power from sheer faith and belief, I would argue the contrary to be highly possible.
>>
>>44772478
Sure it can, but the warlock class depends on a more potent source of power than one child's imagination. I'd let you fluff a warlock magic initiate that way, maybe.
>>
>>44772478
Suppose this is happening in a setting where divine magic isn't picky about what you worship and deities are created by belief in them, then you could in theory create a divine being by believing in it, but then it would be real. It would not be imaginary. The idea of a friend that is simultaneously real and not real is a contradiction even in a magical universe.
>>
>>44771932

>>Dragonborns, once honourable warriors, now lazy and fat kings of golden cities

So I'm just gonna go ahead and steal this idea

Thanks
>>
>>44772482

Or you could just explain the simple fact that children aren't adventurers.

If by "Little girl" you mean a woman in her early twenties or possibly late teens for a few classes, then I'd ask you to consider not being such a fucking sperg.
>>
>>44772540
What about the power of ALL children's imagination?
>>
>>44772539
Then why does the surprise round exist? Seriously. If belief really worked in that way in the D&D universe, you would never be able to ambush an enemy, because the enemy's belief that you are not there would erase you from existence, or at least catapult you far away from them.

You would also run into some impossible contradictions pretty quickly, as parties would come into conflict, each with a belief that it will defeat the other, and they can't both be right. One of them must find their beliefs proven untrue.
>>
>>44772540
>>44772545
The point is literally that, to the child, perfectly normal effects are occurring due to her beloved invisible giant teddy bear friend protecting her; while to external observers, magical effects are occurring, and no one's sure whether this is a self-rationalized manifestation of latent sorcerous powers, a malicious entity preying on an innocent child, or a literal magical tulpa.

Mechanically, she is a Warlock.

Is this so difficult to understand?
>>
>>44772491
Stop infringing littlegirlkin rights!
#littlegirlkinlivesmatter
>>
>>44772548
You're welcome
>>
>>44772603
This thread is troll heavy today, I wouldn't let it get to you.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone in my party playing a little girl, as long as they didn't make it a problem and literally played a little girl and didn't make it magical realm.
>>
>>44772636

>I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone in my party playing a little girl

Like, really?

I mean, I personally think that all the griping about it being "creepy" is just dumb, but even without bringing in the argument of tone I wouldn't allow it for the simple reason that it makes no sense for a child to have gained enough experience of any kind to be able to fit in the shoes of any of the character classes or have the same developed stats as an adult.
>>
>>44772574
he said loli, preteen girl
>>
>>44772603
>Mechanically, she is a warlock
If it were all in her head and the magic were coming from inside herself rather than from a relationship with some kind of patron, mechanically she would be a sorcerer. Magic exists in D&D, but it has rules. deal-with-a-devil magic has different properties from inside-your-heart magic. This mystery you're setting up is easily solvable by in-game characters with a little bit of in-game knowledge. As a rule, it's a bad idea to have too much forced mystery in a character's backstory, especially if it requires everyone around your character to be an idiot.
>>
File: snug smug.jpg (37KB, 552x571px) Image search: [Google]
snug smug.jpg
37KB, 552x571px
>All future D&D Adventurers League adventure designers will be paid exclusively through the sales of their adventures on the DMsGuild site with no cap for those payments.

Oh man, Wizards is basically gutting the AL system, despite it appearing pretty successful--though I guess since there's no entry fee or upkeep, they're not making any money off it and don't care anyway.
>>
>>44772726

Yes I know, I'm a retard. I considered deleting my post but I hoped no one would notice.

That's what I get for reading the thread from the bottom.
>>
>>44772742
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>44772729
Characters don't look at the numbers and say 'oh, she has too many spells per day, guess she's a Warlock then'. Mechanics and fluff intersect, but fluff can be refluffed.

A Warlock could easily be a Cleric of a forgotten god. A Cleric could easily be a Paladin. A Paladin could easily be a sorcerous Fighter.
>>
>>44772820
Its b8 m8 best to not respond

one guy all day has been writing in that voice trying to act innocent about it
>>
>>44772491
I went back and RFM.

I was wrong, you were right.
>>
>>44772729
>mechanically
You're talking about thematics.

Both of you are talking about thematics.

You're both dicks.
>>
>>44772415
Kek.
>>
>>44772820
Why wouldn't they? Vancian magic is very countable, and even a lay observer can probably tell the difference between a Firebolt and an Eldritch Blast. This is reality for these people. Clerics can raise the dead, paladins can lay on hands, and warlocks and eldritch knights can't do those things. These are things that you would want to keep in mind in case you got sick or injured in this world.
>>
Which is more important for a traditional paladin, str or cha?
>>
>>44773206
Strength.
>>
>>44773206
In a typical combat heavy campaign, definitely strength. You'll be hitting things for most of the game and most of your spells will be buffs or heals.

But charisma is important for any offensive casting you do that isn't smite, and it improves most of your paladin abilities, AND social skills are really useful if your party doesn't have someone else with them.
>>
>>44773035
>Vancian magic is very countable, and even a lay observer can probably tell the difference between a Firebolt and an Eldritch Blast. This is reality for these people. Clerics can raise the dead, paladins can lay on hands, and warlocks and eldritch knights can't do those things
From an omniscient, purely mechanical point of view, yes. But, as I keep saying, mechanics can be refluffed. The numbers and names are there for the players' benefit, but what exactly they mean in-game is up to player and DM discretion.

How would anyone in-universe know precisely who can and can't raise the dead? Absence of proof isn't proof of absence. Perhaps ancient unknowable entities who can bestow the ability to revive the dead do exist. Perhaps your character, who performs elaborate formulaic rituals and believes himself to be a wizard, is actually a Sorcerer whose magic just works because he thinks it should.

Just because your character doesn't know that something exists or works in a particular way doesn't mean it doesn't. It's a game of pretend. The numbers are just there to help you along.
>>
>>44773206
The most important ability score is the one you're going to be making your attack rolls with
>>
One of my players, despite my suggestions to the contrary, has built what he calls a "Strength rogue." He faffs around with throwing weapons and has an AC of 11, not even wearing light armor because "a sailor wouldn't do that." I should point out that we've been on dry land the whole campaign. Should I just let this guy kill himself? Should I try to slip them some good defensive magic items that will probably just be stolen by the party wizard? Should I indulge his sailor fantasies and have an adventure on a boat, so that he can get stabbed to death in a more familiar environment for a change?
>>
>>44773206
Depends what you mean by "traditional".
>>
>>44773240
When divine magic is as widespread as it's assumed to be in D&D (temples in large towns and cities selling cures for disease and injury, maybe even resurrection if you're lucky,) word is going to get around. That is important information, and people who for whatever reason ignore it will be weeded out by evolution. Wizards might philosophize about the burden of proof and the potential of arcane magic, but the general population will know not to knock on the wizard's door if they break a leg or catch something nasty.
>>
>>44773357
idk is he happy how he is?

his character sounds cool to me.

i'd try and float him some magic items to help him out, but also try and send challenges his way
>>
Can Umberlee turn sailors into zombies?
>>
>>44773388
Also, look at all those dubs.
Thread posts: 411
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.