[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this actually a good game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: DtD40k 7e.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DtD40k 7e.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Is this actually a good game?
>>
>>44746179
It is. It's great fun.
>>
It's playable and not an unbalanced mess, though anything beyond that will largely depend on how much you like 40k, since that's where most of the fluff is drawn from.

I'd play it over any of the FFG 40k games, though.
>>
Has jank balance/rules problems, but if you canq get past those it's a fun tool for setting up a game. I never use the given setting though, too jank.
>>
>>44746179
No. It's all memeshit and fetishes with terrible rules to boot.

You're better off playing FATAL
>>
>>44746639
sup virt
>>
>>44746179
Considering there is no such thing as an objectively good game, that would very much depend on your personal preferences.
All I can say is that it is an unholy amalgamation of several unrelated games and settings made on a dare and it works far better than it has any right to.
It is the Frankenstein's monster of Tabletop RPGs, and boy, is it ever alive.
>>
>>44746705
>is it ever alive.
Which is why this thread is so dead lel.
>>
>>44746727
Nice job catching the reference, really...
>>
>>44746208
I disagree. I'd say it's a pretty even split between 40k and Planescape/Spelljammer, with plenty of room for other settings to add their interesting bits.
>>
>>44746316
Out of curiosity, can you give me a list of some of the janky bits?
>>
>>44747075
Exalt vs non-Exalt rules
>>
>>44747075
some of the lore for the more recent homebrewed things. but in their defense they are still working on it.

the current gen Vehicular rules are unfinished

and there are plot hole large enough to drop a planetary system into.(but thats so a GM can just drop a planetary system in them of his own creation and use that.)
>>
File: The_Gift_of_Elder_Kalashnikov.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The_Gift_of_Elder_Kalashnikov.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>44746179
It actually is pretty damned good.
The systems introduced in Book 2 could use some work, and are getting that work at a leisurely pace.
>>
>>44749118
are they working on it?
like the vehicle and spelljammer rules?
all I see is more and more new mods and stat-blocks for vehicles and ships. but no new rules...
>>
>>44749237
people keep saykng they need work, no one's willing to do the work
>>
>>44746179

Yes, it's a lot of fun. In my experiences though, I've had a very hard time getting it off on the proper foot when I've tried to run stuff online. Half of that is the usual problems with starting things online, and half of it's getting people on the same theme. I usually advertise that as a DM I prefer to go over the top and kinda of ridiculous, and then I get a bunch of people trying to apply with 40K grim-only style applications. I feel like this is the kind of game that I'd need five clones of myself to really enjoy.
>>
>>44747075
The balance between exalts is a little funky, the book1 ranged classes don't have gun kata access, gun kata are too class specific, and some uses of background points are way better than others.

>>44748080
Yeah, I dropped the book3 development a while back when it turned from "lets make a small amount of highly polished stuff that fits the setting well and fix questionable stuff from the old book" to "lets just add a ton of races and exalts regardless of whether they fit the feel and ignore everything else". Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but I had such high hopes.
>>
>>44750758
>they fit the feel
The "feel" of DtD is really cringey crossover fanfiction, so I don't see how throwing more shit in would negate that.
>>
>>44750758
in a limited defense of the book3 stuff, they are successively editing the new entries in an attempt to make them feel right...not always a successful one, but they ARE making the effort...

>>44750897
you mad?
I suspect you mad...

the feel I perceive is a vast universe with enough magic to allow a very high level of setting diversity.

I consider it a well made parody and homage to the various source materials. admittedly it does have faults, but most things do.
>>
>>44750897
I was talking more about how nearly every race takes from multiple source materials, like how the eldaring are a mixture of the eldar, the eladrin, and ME's cleansuit aliens (never played, can't be assed to look it up). Of the homebrew races, the githyanki/zerai are the ones that really really hit that perfectly.
>>
>>44746179
Yes, I think the newer homebrew is taking it to far into a bunch of random directions that kind of cheapens it. It's meant to be the ultimate crossover, which isn't necessarily the same as a crossover with everything. The first book picks a few key settings (planescape, 40k, mass effect, spelljammer, a few others) and makes a game that fits together in a surprising way. It shouldn't have made so much sense but it did. Now people are trying to fit as many of their favorite ideas/animoos/fetishes into it, so it feels not as great/more skeezy. Either way it's pretty cool, and if you want to add more shit to it more power to you.
>>
>>44756464
Additionally, they're trying to shoehorn their specific interests in without combining them with other sources, unlike the base setting.
>>
>>44759826
>>44756464
Hey now, there is nothing wrong with the Goblins! I even kept away from trying to make them fetishy!
>>
>>44761039
We're not picking individual races out. But it's difficult to deny how many of them are clearly only a single source of inspiration, usually some anime no one cares about.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.