[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: allgrownup.jpg (2MB, 2000x1284px) Image search: [Google]
allgrownup.jpg
2MB, 2000x1284px
So, in the absense of /hbg/, I have a project in mind. I looked around the internet for an Avatar roleplay, but only turned up circlejerk online RP boards. If one does actually exist then of course this post is irrelevant, but if there's honestly nothing then I was wondering if there's enough of an interest in the universe to grab some people to help write up some rules. Timeline could be Aang or Korra, or both, or something completely new.

If there are some anons who would be interested in the idea, let me know. It could be pretty good if we kept the autism to a minimum.
>>
>>44744784
There was a good DnD4e version floating around some time ago.
>>
>>44744784
I know there is an RPG system out there, but I just don't have the PDF.
>>
>>44744784
I like 4e, and using 4e for Avatar, but the version that>>44745124 mentions is not great in my opinion. I've had more success by simply using some of the common feat-tax-aleviating house rules, then adding one feat for each elemental bending.
>Earthbending: whenever you use an attack power, you may change the damage type to force, and add the force keyword.

Firebending: whenever you use an attack power, you may change the damage type to Fire, and add the Fire keyword.

Airbending: whenever you use an attack power, you may change the damage type to Thunder, and add the Thunder keyword.

>Waterbending: whenever you use an attack power, you may change the damage type to cold, and add the cold keyword.

Start adding secondary feats for firebending-lightning, bloodbending (thought that might be better as a paragon path,) water-heal-bending, metalbending etc. Only The Avatar can take all 4 feats, though they have to take (or GM fiat earn) each feat separately.

I don't like the idea that all earthbenders must be defenders, all airbenders must be controllers, all firebenders must be strikers, and all waterbenders must be leaders. What about all of those armored firebending soldiers? What about... well... Toph, isn't she a Earthbender striker? Etc. With the level of abstraction/refluff normal to 4e, having bending be a free and optional "tack your elemtal type onto an attack power, and get to refluff it as bending" seems to work just fine.
>>
I think the system used for the unofficial elder scrolls RPG could be made into something for this really easily. Just remove all the magic schools and replace them with a form of bending available only if you're of a certain race.

The TESRPG is also really martial arts oriented with good special effect mechanics. It would also take a lot less balancing work if the game revolved around common skills (everybody has martial arts) with pools of class specific skills (nonbenders/bloodbenders have chi-blocking).

Honestly, I'd play the shit out of this.
>>
>>44745280
Is there a pdf for the elder scrolls RPG? I like your ideas in theory but would like to see the rules, as for a suggestion what about playing up the powers of chi in Legends of the Wulin?
>>
>>44745240
I like 4e too, but I don't think a rigid class based system would work well for avatar. I think keeping away from a class based system would be better for preventing certain types of bending to be shoehorned into roles.
>>
>>44745365
Well 4e, with refluff, and the ability to match any element with any class, is essentially "pick an element, then pick a combat archetype." Being described as an X fluffwize doesn't mean you have to be the class that's named X and vice versa.
>>
>>44745365
Continuing my thoughts from >>44745379
Maybe it's just me, but I've found that "open point buy" systems wind up being less truly versatile and having less true variety, because there is a very limited combination of abilities that are viable relative to the best combination, wheras with a well balanced class system, that's fluff-flexible, the majority of character concepts have viable means of becoming mechanical characters. I feel like that's something an avatar game needs.
>>
>>44745361
It's too big to post here, but all the files are available on http://www.mediafire.com/uesrpg

Look at the core rulebook. Here are some quick ideas:
The races are: Water Tribe, Earth Nation, Fire Nation, Air Acolytes, and Outcasts.

For a race on each bending nation, you must pick at character creation whether or not you want to be a bender. If you do, you gain the Bending [Element] skill. If you don't, you gain a specialization when fighting benders from your nation. Outcasts are people of a certain bending type living in a different nation, often as second class citizens.

Chi blocking would be a special effect gained in melee on a grapple or unarmed attack. It prevents a bender from bending for their next turn. Nonbenders can gain access to a talent that allows them to take a penalty to their attack roll in order to receive a free chi blocking effect. Tiers of bending (Water < Ice < Healing < Blood) would be determined by the skill rank.

>>44745400
I totally get what you're saying with open point buy systems often coming up flat. But at the same time, I view the Avatar as a series about martial arts with elemental and spiritual stuff attached to it; not the other way around. I worry that focusing on the bending and less on shared martial abilities will turn everybody into some type of close range elemental mage.
>>
>>44745451
>I view the Avatar as a series about martial arts with elemental and spiritual stuff attached to it; not the other way around. I worry that focusing on the bending and less on shared martial abilities will turn everybody into some type of close range elemental mage.
1: That's literally why I suggested using class to represent broad fighting style, and having bending-element be either a feat or an alternative to race-choice. Fighting style is indeed more important than element, and each element (and indeed those without elements) should be able to build as all fighting styles. That's actually WHY I suggest 4e (and NOT the fanmade 4e supplement that turns each kind of bender into a new class.)

There's also always Legends of the Wulin. I could see that working extremely well with only a few tweaks (though it suffers from the exact point-buy problem I was talking about.)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.