[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

L5R general-short bus edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 21

File: Matsu_Beastmasters.jpg (60KB, 721x547px) Image search: [Google]
Matsu_Beastmasters.jpg
60KB, 721x547px
Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vx477quhxz4vt/Regend5Ling#btf4cvsidtj6f

Resources:
https://sites.google.com/site/mistralceleste/TRPG/l5r/resources

Question of the Thread:
What's the weirdest, wackiest clan school out there?
>>
>>44742984
Mantis Brawler. It's basically Rokugani Drunken Fist.
>>
Shosuro Actors are pretty wacky. And also really hard to actually integrate into a game.
>>
>>44743411

know what I did?

Introduce a Shosuro actor as a completely different character. They were revealed by their incompetent lord and while the party doesn't TRUST her she wound up going along with them anyway.
>>
>>44742984
>What's the weirdest, wackiest clan school out there?
Togashi Monk.
>>
>>44743411
Speaking of them, are they supposed to not have even a wakizashi?
>>
>>44744415
Compared to the other Shosuro ninja school, they're probably supposed to have the full daisho. It would also help for when they're pretending to be a bushi.
They probably just keep the katana wrapped up when living as an actor who isn't supposed to be capable of swordfighting.
>>
File: 64qxpu.png (177KB, 576x240px) Image search: [Google]
64qxpu.png
177KB, 576x240px
>>44743123
That's awesome.
>>
>>44744663
I'm still waiting for the day I can play a Mantis Brawler PC who doesn't want no trouble.
>>
>>44742984
1e Kakita Artisan. They can make paintings and origami come to life or actually become the characters they are acting out.
>>
What's some of the deadliest shit a ninja could come up with?
>>
>>44746746
Poisoning a well is a pretty good way to murder a lot of people indiscriminately and causing a lot of collateral damage.
>>
So, I played pdf related yesterday, and now I'm really curious what /l5rg/ thinks about it.

I think its cynicism is too heavy-handed and it feels more like a weird board game rather than a role-playing game.

For the record, in our game, four of the five PCs were killed by the fifth PC, and the GM pretty much gave up at the half of the session yet the game went on without him no problem.
>>
>>44747378
>For the record, in our game, four of the five PCs were killed by the fifth PC,

Why?
>>
File: oweme5koku.jpg (324KB, 1540x1060px) Image search: [Google]
oweme5koku.jpg
324KB, 1540x1060px
Heya /tg/, I'm still looking for opinions and advice on this advanced school.

Master of the Calm Heart
The famous Dueling Grounds of Dark Edge Village are not without swordmasters. Though there is yet no formal school of advanced teaching, like the Crane’s Kenshinzen, enough duelists have survived Court and Tourney to develop their own techniques, improving upon the Calm Heart’s teachings: to resolve disputes without needlessly taking life. Though the stances and strikes of the Masters of the Calm Heart may differ, they each have mastered the Serene Blade.
Requirements: Reflexes 5, Void 4, Iaijutsu 5, Kenjutsu 5, Must be trained as a Calm Heart Duelist.
Rank 1: The Sword of Serenity
A master of the Calm Heart strikes without killing intent. When you are wielding a katana or a wakizashi, you gain two free raises on all Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu (Strike) Skill Rolls. These free raises must be used for declaring maneuvers and may not be used for the Feint or Increased Damage maneuvers. Whenever you deal damage with a melee attack, you may discard the highest showing die to add its total to your ATN until your next attack.
>>
File: 1359744893568.jpg (199KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
1359744893568.jpg
199KB, 1200x797px
>>44747818
Rank 2: The Willow Bends, The Branch Whips
A master of the Calm Heart can surprise her opponents with darting speed, leaving them fumbling. A number of times per skirmish equal to your School Rank, when an opponent declares a melee attack against you, if you have not taken your Turn this Round, you may spend a Void Point to take a Simple Action to make an attack against that opponent. This attack resolves before your opponent’s attack. If your attack hits, it deals no damage and the target must roll his Earth Ring against a TN of 20 + half the amount by which your attack exceeded his ATN or be Dazed. If you use this Technique, you may only perform one Simple Action during your Turn this Round. (You may take Free Actions as normal.) You may use this Technique while in the Defense Stance. You may not use this Technique while in the Center or Full Attack Stances.
Rank 3: Heart of No Conflict
The greatest blademasters of the Calm Heart style act without inner conflict, knowing their strikes are sure. A number of times each skirmish equal to your School Rank, whenever you discard a damage die, you gain a temporary Void Point. These temporary Void Points expire at the end of the skirmish. In addition, whenever you would deal enough damage with a melee attack to kill an opponent, you may spend a void point to instead reduce your target to 1 wound.
>>
>>44747818
>diyamo

why
>>
File: 1382313994473.jpg (1MB, 1024x4756px) Image search: [Google]
1382313994473.jpg
1MB, 1024x4756px
>>44747840
because moonrunes are hard, I guess? Not my copypasta.
>>
>>44747818
>>44747832

Rank ones second ability is way to much, that number will regularly be in the 7-10 range, and can quite easily be in excess of 15. At the very least I would add the restriction that it doesn't explode. The first parts good though, but a tad underwhelming on its own.

Rank two is powerful, but not ultimately game breaking, personally I would make this the R3 ability.

Rank three might as well be +3 void points, which is pretty damn good for anyone but quite boring, though I do like the second part of it.

An evaluation of it as a whole, its interesting, but has two main problems that would stop me from allowing it at any table I run. One, its a touch too powerful, not by much, but enough to be questionable. And two, its a duelist class with mostly skirmish based abilities, I'm not saying it would have to be nothing but dueling stuff, but if its a dueling class, at least half your stuff should actually work in a duel at all.
>>
>>44747704
Because the game actively encourages bloodshed as a solution to every problem. It is the perfect system for murder-hobos as you, the PC, can get away with literally anything if you roll well enough.

The Executioner Guy (the one who killed the others) petty much killed (directly or indirectly) everyone who dared to disagree with him. Nobody could beat his five-bazillion dice and he could do whatever he wished with all those Wagers he could afford.
>>
>>44746746
Define "deadliest".
You mean to kill a single person?
To kill many people?
Really, a ninja is capable of pretty much the exact same number of things a Bushi is, and in fact they might not even be any better at it then a Bushi; just because someone isn't SUPPOSED to act a certain way doesn't mean they DON'T act a certain way, that's sort of a human constant you know?
>>
>>44747378
>I think its cynicism is too heavy-handed
John Wick is part of Generation X.
Generation X's whole stereotypical deal is cynicism because they all got real confused and upset that we never fought Russia and thought all of society was going to collapse because of it.
Look at R.Talsorian Games stuff, you see it everywhere there.
>>
>>44748181
Finally, someone with decent advice. Thanks a ton! Yeah, I'll switch up the R2 and R3. Initially, I'd made it half the total of the damage die for the Rank 1, but I figured sacrificing damage was so off-note with the usual way of things in the system that it'd be better to just go ahead and go whole hog.

>>44748267
Should have guessed it was a shit player.
>>
Was anyone going to finish the history of the Eel Clan, out of curiosity.
>>
>>44748718
>Should have guessed it was a shit player.

The rulebook cheated us. It said that shit was going to be gritty and stuff, with all this "your characters are FRAGILE" emphasis. As it turned out, you can shove JW's words up to you ass, because the system totally supports invincible wuxia warriors and the GM can do nothing to stop the rape-train these characters unleash.

We also had a geisha house filled with lewd catgirls. Old Japan at its best.
>>
>>44747378
I recommend looking World of Dew, which is a 3rd part supplement to Blood and Honor. It deals with playing as anything but clan samurai; ronin, geisha, yakuza, sumo wrestlers, police officers... And it focuses more on Noir themes than on tragedy outright. Much more interesting stuff than Wick's original.
>>
>>44748802
I would, but it would involve starting from scratch and I don't want to just scrap what some anon started unless they aren't coming back to it.
>>
>>44749405

Well I'm not that anon either. So I guess we'll have to wait.

I'm going to see if I can't do some testing in at least a one shot with some of these homebrews, and report back to /tg/ my findings.
>>
>>44749099
So a shit DM unwilling to cold cock a shit player OOC.

I dealt with that very same combination once.
>>
>>44749355
What's funny is most doshin and yoriki WERE samurai. They just also had jobs.
Wick has a really funny idea of what most samurai actually ever did.
>>
>>44748181
Hm. Would you say, for that rank 2, change it only to work in Defense and Center? It's supposed to be half magistrate (bring them in alive!) quarter swordsman quarter duelist, more or less. I just don't want to be stuck being absolute shit outside of duels, much like I took every alt rank in place of abilities that only worked while mounted (as a UBM).

Technically, is homebrew abilities that my character supposedly developed herself for a potential high IR game, and she was wildly successful as an emerald magistrate in the past. So perhaps calling it Master of the Calm Heart is disingenuous. (The Unicorn have nothing good as far as Advanced Schools.)
>>
File: 1371086633443.jpg (215KB, 1054x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1371086633443.jpg
215KB, 1054x1125px
Rank 1: The Sword of Serenity
A master of the Calm Heart strikes without killing intent. When you are wielding a katana or a wakizashi, you gain two free raises on all Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu (Strike) Skill Rolls. These free raises must be used for declaring maneuvers and may not be used for the Feint or Increased Damage maneuvers. Whenever you deal damage with a melee attack, you may discard the highest showing die to add its total to your ATN until your next Turn. This may never increase your ATN by more than 10.
Rank 2: Heart of Conviction
The Conviction of the Calm Heart is so great it unsettles her opponents and guides her strikes. Whenever you would deal enough damage with a melee attack to kill an opponent, you may spend a void point to instead reduce your target to 1 wound. In addition, when making an opposed Iaijutsu (Assessment) Skill Roll as part of a duel, if you win by 10 or more, your opponent may not reroll 10s during the Focus phase. An opponent may ignore this ability by immediately spending two Void Points. This ability counts as a Fear effect for abilities that ignore Fear.
Rank 3: The Willow Bends, The Branch Whips
A master of the Calm Heart can surprise her opponents with darting speed, leaving them fumbling. A number of times per skirmish equal to your School Rank, when an opponent declares a melee attack against you, if you have not taken your Turn this Round, you may spend a Void Point to take a Simple Action to make an attack against that opponent. This attack resolves before your opponent’s attack. If your attack hits, it deals no damage and the target must roll his Earth Ring against a TN of 20 + half the amount by which your attack exceeded his ATN or be Dazed. If you use this Technique, you may only perform one Simple Action during your Turn this Round. (You may take Free Actions as normal.) You may use this Technique while in the Defense Stance. You may not use this Technique while in the Center or Full Attack Stances.
>>
>>44751037
>So a shit DM unwilling to cold cock a shit player OOC.

You can't say no to a PC in Blood and Honor. He takes the roll (a very easy roll) and the scene unfolds however he wants. The GM simply has no tools to stop the PC, all he can do is to go with his fuckery.

As I said, we played the last half of the game without the GM, and everything was fine. In Blood and Honor, the GM is pretty much a player without a character.
>>
>>44750686
Sorry, I'm coming back. School and alls been delaying it.
>>
>>44752339

Oh well, at least we know not to overwrite it.
>>
>>
>>44751086
Looking at Wick's "historical" Japan game just proves how fucking clueless he is about Japanese history, honestly.
>>
>>44755990
It's kinda sad, really.
The one time when Clan affiliation was MOST important was during the Civil War period, at which point there were no courts or politics that didn't revolve around war.
Before that in the Muromachi and after in the Edo Periods clan affiliations was really more about listing lineage; importance and rank and position had nothing to do with Clan and everything to do with closeness to the Shogun himself, who in almost all cases did his best to DOWNPLAY clan affiliation because it encouraged situations like the Civil War period in the first place.
>>
>>44755990
Also, Rokugan's emphasis on tournaments deciding things like the equivalent of Chief Justice and War Leader for the Empire and shit like that is a fundamentally stupid idea.
Though I suspect it was added for CCG prize purposes.
>>
>>44756603
It makes sense when you consider the religious connotations. The gods themselves had a contest to decide who would be the Emperor. Contests (And especially duels) allow Fate itself to weigh in on the issue.
When things start getting more pragmatic, then the organizers of the contest for important positions try to make sure that only people who are actually qualified even get to compete.
>>
>>44756772
It's not the meritocratic thing that's the issue; it's the loyalty thing.
Rokugan has a very strict hierarchy and very divisive clan politics yet SEVERAL positions of extreme political importance do not support the heirarchy and promote people in the HOPE that they don't abuse it when they win.
If literally every contestant for these competitions was better extensively beforehand (and NOT by Clan authorities but by Imperial ones) so you could be certain that their loyalty would be to YOU and not their Clan, then that would make political sense because you still allow meritocratic promotion through tournaments and also reinforce the heirarchy.
>>
>>44756603
>>44756772
There's a lot of room for figurehead positions within Rokugan. Watch 'Yes, Minister' some time.
>>
>>44756983
I love that show.
>>
>>44756978
People who abuse their imperial position get smacked down and forced into retirement. Publicly.
The Otomo are entirely loyal to the Emperor with no clan affiliation, and they make up the vast majority of every imperial bureaucracy. A Jade Champion who starts openly favoring his clan will soon find himself not the Jade Champion. Or he'll find himself dead. Or both, depending on what clans he starts shafting.
>>
Which clan wears the least? No, bear with me here. Crab Bushi wear heavy armour and, judging from the art, not much else. Yoritomo don't wear much because armour + water = bad times. Unicorn tend to go around in their furry vests. Tattooed Monks sometimes rock up 90% naked, but they aren't the whole Dragon clan so they don't really count.
>>
>>44757117
It's a tie between Mantis / Crab. Mantis might wear less, but the Crab have more people not wearing much, and they go wild when off-duty.
>>
>>44757117
Don't forget the Minor clans. Monkey and Kitsune tend to not give too many fucks about clothes.
>>
>>44757117
The crab can be broken down by profession. Wallies tend to wear just their armor or almost nothing (Berserkers tend to go for almost nothing), Scouts tend to wear a little bit more clothing, but travel light and sometimes don't have much armor. Internal security patrols tend to dress like generic bushi. The Kaiu, Kuni, and Toritaka tend towards simple and practical (Meaning armor when appropriate and plain kimono getup otherwise). The Yasuki either dress fancy, but tend to be fully dressed (If showing a bit too much shoulder and cleavage).
>>
>>44757231
>wearing armor and almost nothing

Clearly whatever writer thought that was in any way remotely a good idea has never even touched a suit of armor, so much as worn one.
>>
>>44757550
Presumably they just have a little square of padding stapled onto the inside of each plate of armor.
>>
>>44757647
That makes me chafe just thinking about it.
>>
>>44757550
It's the artists, actually. The writers don't omit all the stuff that goes under the armor (Usually because they don't describe the armor beyond "It's armor") and every in-depth description of how armor works includes under-layers and obsessive amounts of bindings to strap everything down.
>>
>>44757793
There's always been a massive disconnect between the actual written description of... Well EVERYTHING in L5R and how the artists interpret things.

I really hope FFG cracks down on that and only accepts art that actually fucking reflects the setting.
>>
>>44757793
If the Rokugani embraced the use of belts and buckles instead of silk ropes and knots, every suit of Rokugani armor would make Squeenix collectively cry tears of shame for being beaten so handily.
>>
>>44757856
I doubt it.
Artists are always gonna do their own thing most days.
>>
>>44758188
Would be fucking nice, though. Then maybe people would stop with this "most naked clan! Biggest tits clan! Lewdest clan!" bullshit.
>>
>>44758660
It's 4chan.
There is probably legitimately no way to ever get around that until you can either find a way to make sex boring (quite possible, but not on that sort of scale) or unfunny.
>>
>>44759256
True, but it doesn't help that the official art doesn't reflect the style or tone of the setting even remotely a lot of the time, giving people a completely wrong impression.

Almost every time those posts are accompanied by some Genzoman tier official art of some source or another, so by not having OFFICIAL art that perpetuates that bullshit maybe it'll cut down on that kind of shitposting.
>>
>>44760470
Plus the added bonus of ART ACTUALLY REFLECTING THE FUCKING SETTING.
>>
File: Otomo_Suikihime[1].jpg (259KB, 1280x935px) Image search: [Google]
Otomo_Suikihime[1].jpg
259KB, 1280x935px
>>44760470
>>44761345
> it doesn't help that the official art doesn't reflect the style or tone of the setting even remotely a lot of the time

No, most of the time it does.
>>
>>44762607
In the newer art, maybe.
>>
>>44762978
Also note it's mostly the card art that's the problem, the RPG books were always good about it, especially the 1e books.
>>
Hey /tg/

I remembered we were talking about a possible homebrew clan operating near the edge of the Shinomen Mori, a Crab offshoot. I might be playing in a game where that's relevant and the GM seems open to homebrew.

How do you think this works for a homebrew class focused around being stronk and innawoods? Not sure what lore is good for hunting Spider Clan.

KUMA FAMILY: +1 Strength

KUMA HUNTER [BUSHI]
Benefit: +1 Willpower
Skills: Athletics, Hunting, Jiujitsu, Kyujutsu, Lore: Maho OR Lore: Shadowlands, Stealth, any one
Bugei Skill
Honor: 3.5
Outfit: Light or Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Dai-Kyu and 20 Arrows, Any 1 Weapon, Traveling Pack, Pouch of Jade Powder, 3 koku

Rank 1 – Way of the Bear - You may add your Earth Ring x 2 to rolls to resist Taint and Disease, and to recover from being Dazed. You also do not decrease your movement penalty due to natural obstacles, such as thick tree roots or underbrush, and you do not take penalties for using a Dai-Kyu on foot

Rank 2 – Claws of the Bear -. A number of times per day equal to your School Rank, you may reduce the Reduction of an enemy on one of your attacks by an amount equal to your School Rank. You may also add your Hunting Skill Ranks to the damage of any attack made against non-human targets – including animals, oni and supernatural creatures.

Rank 3 – Tenacity of the Bear - You may attack with weapons with the Samurai Keyword, or make Unarmed Attacks, as a simple action.

Rank 4 – Strength of the Bear- You gain a Free Raise on the Knockdown Maneuver, and on Grapple. When making a Knockdown, you can choose to make an extra Raise, to force the enemy to make a contested Strength roll with you if the Knockdown succeeds – if they fail, they are also Dazed.

Rank 5 – Rage of the Bear – By spending a Void Point at the start of your turn, you may ignore your Wound Penalties for that turn. At the end of this turn you suffer 1k1 damage that cannot explode.
>>
I know this is probably gonna look like I'm asking to be spoonfed, but does anyone have a MEGA bin of the MF L5R trove? For some inane reason Mediafire has decided not to play nice with my browser ( >chrome master race), even after I disabled my AdBlock and my script-nullifying plugins, plus it's asking me to pay to download multiple files at once (fuck you, Mediafire; I was able to do that before for fucking free).
>>
>>44763606
That rank 5 is pretty shit. I'd buff it by either making it last a number of rounds equal to Earth Ring (And have the damage apply the round you come out of the effect) or dump the damage entirely.
>>
>>44763606
That Rank 5 is a loooong way down from The Mountain Does Not Fall.
>>
Man, money is all fucked up in this game; costs are all off, the wrong names for coins are used....how are you supposed to afford shit at all?
Are all samurai basically broke fuckers in Rokugan or something?
>>
>>44763770
>>44763682

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was trying to make it different from the Mountain Does not Fall, but rechecking that one, this one is worse.

I want it to be less about shrugging off the wounds, and more about when you're nearly dead pulling off a devastating final attack - throttling the gloating samurai, snapping the neck of the Maho, etc.

Actually, occours to me the most obvious thing to do is just let you make a final attack once you hit Down or Out or something...

Suggestions?
>>
>>44764257

L5R fluff isn't always sense making, but this time its pretty clear on it. Samurai don't keep much money because their lord just gives them what they need. The money is just for luxury stuff.
>>
>>44763606
I would drop the dai-kyu and just make it a yumi. I would also say for rank 5 to make some sort of willpower roll at the beginning that gives the bonus at a duration equal to the earth ring.
>>
>>44764386

Why would he drop the daikyu if the school has an ability on it?

>>44763606
Rank 5 needs to suck less, as mentioned. Maybe it lasts longer but each turn you keep it out you take a little bit of damage?

Over all seems like a pretty weak school, but if its minor clan that's to be expected.
>>
>>44764257
Money is strictly for luxury. Everything you need is provided for you. Even while travelling, you can just hit up a random peasant village for food and a place to sleep and they will give you whatever you want.
When the system breaks down or samurai get greedy, they have to resort to becoming merchant patrons (Which is mildly dishonorable if you get too into it) and/or cooking the books to skim off taxes (which is for sure dishonorable and will result in dishonorable execution if you get caught).
>>
>>44764477
Or banditry. Banditry is pretty much the only thing you can reliably resort to if you aren't a tax collector. Fishing for bribes and being a corrupt piece of shit are also time honored traditions for greedy or desperate guards and functionaries.
>>
>>44764477
So basically you're saying it's nothing even remotely like currency or value was in Japan at any point in history?
Gotcha.
I'll just go change all the values of shit for my house game, that'll fix the problem.
>>
>>44764595
Well, nothing like currency when samurai were actually samurai anyway, sure. It kinda resembles Heian Period Japanese economics before anything had actual value beyond it's literal immediate value; a pound of rice was worth a pound of rice and such.
But yeah, basically; samurai weren't even called "samurai" back then, and it's yet another Wickism that comes from his ridiculously flawed understanding of everything Japanese.
>>
>>44764595
The currency in Rokugan isn't even strictly currency from a legal standpoint. It's supposed to be physical shorthand for a specific amount of rice, and could be handed in at a government storehouse to get that rice. The only reason it's a currency is because people started passing it around in exchange for things that aren't rice. Most of the economy is handled with barter. At the low end it's exchanging goods for goods or services. At the high end, it's exchanging large shipments of goods for other large shipments or political agreements.
>>
>>44764656
How different WAS the Heian Period anyway? All I know it was way before samurai were properly in charge.
>>
>>44764733
Very, in short.
The word "samurai" had yet to exist and the group was almost universally called by their class, the Buke, since the class system was much more important then.
Even the ethnic makeup of Japan was very different; for most of Japanese history there's been basically only one socio-ethnic group, the Yamato people, who were mostly descended from Chinese or Korean settlers and the like.
During the Heian Period still significant bits of Japan had ethnic groups and tribes completely separate from the Yamato in many parts of northern and southern Japan; it's the rough equivalent time period as when Britian was still in the process of Anglos and Saxons settling the British Isles, so very little about what we think of as "Japanese" stems from the time period because a lot of it sort of hadn't been invented yet.
Most of the Heian Period court patterned itself off of Tang Dynasty China, basically.
>>
>>44764711
The Rice Standard is a pretty stupid thing to base a currency on anyway. How much of the base good you actually have varies from year to year and doesn't carry over (Because it will rot or be eaten eventually), but the currency is pretty well permanent (A metal coin doesn't rot and won't be eaten unless you get a really weird monk or something). It's no wonder the economy is getting smacked by huge inflation. Holding onto a coin for a few years means you now hold a commodity value that has nothing actually backing it.
>>
>>44764888
It turns out, it WAS a pretty stupid thing to base it on because once Japan actually developed a functioning economy it started to show cracks over time.
It worked in the Muromachi and Sengoku Periods, but by the Edo Period inflation hit Japan bad because the peace meant there was time for trade and the economy to develop the fixed stipends that samurai had almost immediately became insufficient to pay for basic living expenses, which they DID have to do like everyone else because as soon as you develop past a barter economy it's gonna be a thing.
By the middle point of the Edo Period it wasn't uncommon finding samurai who were basically poor people with decent houses because they couldn't find a decent bureaucratic job and the stipend they were given didn't mean anything.
Combined with how they got special legal privileges despite being the social equivalent of armed bums who could treat most people very poorly and legally get away with it and you can see why when the Meiji Restoration rolled around there was very little regret that the samurai were just gone already.
I mean even though the modernization of Japan led to the totalitarian Taisho Period (which is largely viewed as a national embarrassment) they STILL even when romanticzing samurai see the abolishment of the samurai caste as a 100% good thing that happened.
>>
>>44765104
Rokugan is sort of halfway there. Samurai don't pay for things they need (Note that what they do or do not need is based entirely on what their lord decides they do or do not need). There's no point paying rent when the landlord is your boss. There's no point paying for food when the farmers are indentured to the same organization you are. When you get food or goods from somewhere outside of your own lands, the peasants you get it from take note of it and pass it up to their boss, who can either write it off as a tax deduction or send the bill to your boss, who can write it off as a tax deduction.
Presumably they wait until the little bills pile up, rather than send " 1 X helping of rice, 1 X spare kimono" every time you stop in a town.
>>
>>44765188
You can pay directly, but there's almost nothing stopping a samurai from naming their own price (By putting down whatever random pocket change they feel like dropping) or not paying at all. Maybe if another samurai is nearby and politely insinuates that you were mistaken in the amount you paid, but other than that, the peasants just have to sigh and deal with it.
>>
>>44765188
The reason it didn't work is the same reason every soldier, government worker, and state worker in the United States of America isn't paid a pension for showing up for a job on the first day; it is expensive as fuck to support the living needs of a human being and it only worked when you didn't have to support very many.
One of the entire REASONS the samurai overthrew the Emperor and the Shoguns took control was that there were so many of them that that method wasn't really effective anymore, so they started giving the buke less and less to live off of because the government couldn't afford it.
>>
>>44765270
>Maybe if another samurai is nearby and politely insinuates that you were mistaken in the amount you paid, but other than that, the peasants just have to sigh and deal with it.
Could happen. Would be slightly shameful to show knowledge of commerce by correcting another. Merchants and innkeeps will politely ask for your seal or chop for their records, and pass it on to their clan patrons. Eventually it will come to your clan paying the difference.
>>
File: tumblr_mb6a2zxjLQ1r2yvruo1_1280.jpg (316KB, 1280x950px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb6a2zxjLQ1r2yvruo1_1280.jpg
316KB, 1280x950px
>>
>>44742984
Has anyone played a Matsu Beastmaster? How on earth is a GM supposed to make that work in a campaign? How do you get new lions?
>>
>>44767903
what fucking clan is this character
>>
>>44768244
Judging by the boat figurehead and the colours, Crane.
>>
>>44768284
But the hair.
>>
>>44768288
Still Crane. Not everyone dyes.
>>
File: 8220_kakita_noritoshi_b_2[1].jpg (66KB, 512x377px) Image search: [Google]
8220_kakita_noritoshi_b_2[1].jpg
66KB, 512x377px
Not every Crane dunks their head in bleach, anon.
>>
>>44768158

I haven't but I really want to some day. Pity Lions are not anywhere near as badass as Unicorn Horses.
>>
>>44768288
Contrary to the card art, not every Crane is required to dye their hair.
>>
Okay, so I've been looking at a couple different Bushi schools. The Hiruma bushi raises his ATN with every hit he makes, and the Yoritomo lowers his enemy's. Which is a better effect? What are the downsides to each school, when compared to each other?
>>
>>44768352

The Yoritomo is better for his allies, the Himura is better when outnumbered.

You'll want a Yoritomo to tear the TN of an Oni down but if being assaulted by a horde of angry peasants you'll want a Himura to push himself out of reasonably hittable range.
>>
>>44757058
In other words, you gotta bribe the Otomo first.

More seriously the clans probably vet potential contestants pretty extensively since the humiliation of a corrupt champion could shake the clan to its foundations.

Which doesn't stop, "Win a tournament, make this important official a tainted kolat baby kicker!" but those days seem to be gone.
>>
>>44758660
Its a game about picking teams.

That shit was gonna exist no matter what.
>>
>>44764257
Remind your GM that you can ask your lord for stuff.

EVERYONE forgets that because money's a thing. The cash you get is supposed to be for luxuries, not stuff that's immediately important to your mission. Getting shit also gives that one courtier player something to do.

Yeah equipment and magic items need to be more plentiful, but at least the element books finally gave guidelines for making nemurenani on your own so you can find a legendary blacksmith to get a new sword that can talk to ghosts and cool samurai fantasy shit.
>>
>>44768336
Daidoji do it the most common I think since it was Daidoji himself where that tradition originates.
>>
>>44769434
I did this >>44764595 and it worked fine actually, so I didn't my need to do that. I'm GMing not playing.
>magic items need to be more plentiful
Do they?
Right now most of my group is rolling quite a bit of dice for many things and with a bit of effort they've still killed the few supernatural creatures they've run up against quite handily.
>>
>>44769540

If I recall correctly, Daidoji are "forced" to to dye their hair, while the rest of the clan simply does it to honour the original Daidoji who ventured to the Shadowlands.
>>
>>44769659
Doji Hayaku must have been some kinda badass to survive in the Shadowlands alone for three years.
Guys like him are why the Daidoji are awesome; in a clan of very un-samurai-like behavior (you can argue about that all you want but the whole "prissy courtier" thing is traditionally a very unmanly and discouraged thing in real-life Bushido which all "decent" samurai were supposed to follow in theory) the Daidoji are some of the most sturdy and faithful samurai groups in the entire setting; loyal, unshakable, unwavering, willing to sacrifice the honor for their Clan, and always acting in their best interests.
>>
>>44765188
There was a really good article on the forum about Samurai economics, including a bit on "shit your Samurai wants that he'd have to pay for."
>>
>>44769584
I just think its a shame that so many l5r games never go past the starting outfit when 'magic object' is such a big part of Japanese myth. Smithing was a sacred act for a lot of Japanese history and it'd be cool to play that up with rare materials and techniques like the Kaiu and the Tsi and Kakita have.

I've got the option to make my game have more awakened items now with at least a rough guideline to make my own, so I'm content.
>>
>>44769728
I wish the rank and rile Kakita Doji got a little more love, those poor bastards fought the Lion for a THOUSAND YEARS and managed to keep Crane lands in roughly the same shape.

Yeah Crane use courtier tactics but I think there are a lot of good samurai stories in the poor bushi who held the line while the courtiers and duelists did their magic.
>>
>>44770120
Kakita Doji I'm an idiot I meant Kakita Bushi.
>>
>>44769584
Also, sorry, was being a bit rude there; I assumed you were playing because its a thing I've heard from players since the 2E days when I started with the game, and whatever works for your game is obviously the right answer.
>>
>>44770120
Kakita lands border Lion ones, but according to the official army structures of the Crane's two standing armies the Daidoj-trained samurai make up the vast majority of their military forces; it's not like when another Clan attacks a Family's lands only the Family in question mobilizes to defend itself.
Kakita Bushi are supposed to be relatively rare though as well; I believe I remember reading that the Kakita Dueling Academy is the ONLY dojo that teaches the school (it's a pretty elitist group remember) and that while they have battlefield uses they more a precision instrument in court. The Kenshinzen are far more useful in the open battlefield (it's sort of what they were created for) but they're even fewer in number then the regular Duelists are.
>>
>>44770093
I totally get that, actually.
It's just that "magical" weapons in Japanese myth tend to not really functionally be much more then what the weapon already does, but better; sword wat cuts good and all that. Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi might be the exception to that entire thing, sort of.
>>44770196
Not a problem anon.
Actually, in my experience most people posting on /tg/ are GM's and not players.
>>
>>44770236
See I think that's putting too much on the Daidoji, who're now the Crane's merchants, regular army AND special forces. Like that's absolutely how the top of the families should work, but I feel like one of the flaws of the Crane books is they never ever talk about the buke outside of the Daidoji and that's a huge waste of potential.

Plus there's the Tsuma, those spearmen vassals of the Kakita who's whole story is the lion wrecked them so there's some discrepancy there.
>>
threadly reminder that the Crane can do no wrong
>>
>>44770418
Nearly all of the Clan books are filled with stupid garbage though here and there, particularly where it comes to armies and stuff.
The formations it talks about (especially the extremely smart-looking Unicorn cavalry-mounted infantry formations) are sensible enough, but it's repeatedly stated that as soon as the battle really gets underway to always devolves into skirmish warfare between individuals or small groups; the formation is just the beginning stuff.
That WAS how samurai fought for some time....back before they developed tactics that were anything like decent. Up until the Kamakura Period samurai warfare actually WAS this semi-ritualized skirmish warfare (usually archery horseback duel type things) because they only ever really fought other samurai.
Then the Mongols Invaded and in every battle that the Japanese didn't very heavily outnumber them the Mongols demolished them because fighting a mass battle as if you were a group of individuals instead of a trained army is fucking moronic and is a nice way to get dead.
Japan learned pretty quickly, but apparently in Rokugan this is still a thing that happens meaning the "tactical genius" of the Lion is actually less efficient and less effectual then almost any army in the history of the world. They're like a better equipped version of tribal African warfare basically, where half of it is ritual.

It's yet another Wickism and him and AEG not doing their research or confusing different periods of samurai culture as being exactly the same.
>>
File: 1371092690122.jpg (203KB, 764x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1371092690122.jpg
203KB, 764x1000px
>>44751600
No thoughts at all?
>>
>>44772531
Haven't you already posted it on here a few times? Not this specific thread, but the generals I mean?
>>
File: 1359744695746.jpg (177KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
1359744695746.jpg
177KB, 1024x731px
>>44772567
And received an opinion on it all of once.
>>
>>44763606
Maybe set up the Rank 5 like the Crab Berserker?
>>
>>44768367
Doesn't yoritomo only lower it for his own attacks, though? I don't think it actually does help the whole party.
>>
>>44772893

I changed it to this.

Rank 5 – Rage of the Bear – You may spend a Voidpoint at the start of any turn to enrage yourself. The Rage lasts for a number of turns equal to your Earth Ring. During this time period, you ignore your wound penalties and add your Earth Ring in unkept dice to your damage rolls. At the end of each turn, however, you take 1k1 damage that does not explode as you push your body too far – you may not voluntarily stop Raging unless there are no enemies left to fight.
>>
File: 1359741969729.jpg (815KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1359741969729.jpg
815KB, 2400x1800px
>>44772987
You should still look at Crab Berserker so you can make it read all professional and shiny.
>>
>>44773032

Yeah, I'll give it a look. Basic idea better though?
>>
>>44773189
Yeah, I suppose so. I was going to write it up shiny and pretty with +(School Rank) Reduction and ignores Penalties and Effects of Wound Ranks, instead of damage, and keep the whole bit where you can keep fighting even when dead (and die instantly at the end of the Rage).
>>
Do I risk life and limb picking dark secret (knowledge of gajin pepper) and forbidden knowledge (gajin pepper) in order to bring guns to the land?
>>
>>44775020
There's a simple question I ask in picking negative qualities - how much do I want it to bite me? If I don't say, "I want it to come up in-game and potentially be revealed!" ... then I don't take it.

Do you want to be revealed as a gaijin pepper user at some point?
>>
>>44775020

Just tell everyone you're a Dragon clan fireworks manufacturer.
>>
>>44776512
Doesn't really work when your "fireworks" don't explode into pretty lights.
>>
>>44776371
Kind of want to talk the prince into helping me create a proper army to retake the Shadowlands
>>
>>44776809

Clearly you have to bring actual fireworks too. It's just an excuse for why you have so much suspiciously looks like gaijin pepper stuff with you.
>>
>>44777037
Good fucking luck with that. It took an entire clan working with a massive number of taint-resistant naga to even push back to Hiruma Castle. And that was after nearly 800 years of failed attempts and the ritual destruction of the entire local spirit population.
Firearms don't help when the terrain you marched over turns out to be made of vines that burrow into your legs and kill you from the inside. Firearms don't help when goblins sneak up on you, douse you in tar, and take a light to it. Firearms don't help when you're fighting something that shrugs off projectiles the same way it would shrug off a mildly annoying insect. Firearms don't help when half the things you fight radiate supernatural fear that overrides any attempt to harm them or not run screaming into the nearest deadly terrain feature. Firearms don't help when merely existing in that physical space drives you to corruption and evil. The shadowland is not a place where shitty troops with good gear can get shit done. You need elite, fearless troops with supernatural support AND good gear. And you need shugenja willing to burn out their own souls in an attempt to burn out the kansen.
>>
So in Rokugan when you go off on a vendetta killing do you need to do the thing where you get official permission like in the Edo Period, or can you just go find and whack the guy?
>>
>>44763617

Seconding this request; using Firefox.
>>
>>44777543
Fine, we won't be able to walk into the gaping maw but a series of cannons along the great wall would make me feel a whole lot better.
>>
>>44777634
Usually it's announced publicly. Officially, vendettas are honorable and shouldn't be stopped, so it's more like nobody gets in the way and you get a slap on the wrist for pursuing it. If, say, your lord didn't want you to do it, they might try to resolve it in other ways (If they're also your target's lord, they may order you to hang the entire issue on a duel result and call it done). The Emperor sometimes tells people that their situation is resolved, and because he's infallible, they have to accept it as honorably ended.
If you don't announce it publicly, then it depends on whether other people know about him wronging you. If everyone knows that you had a good motive, then you may or may not be told to commit sepukku, but someone will probably write a play about it and the story will circulate as an example of bushido done right.
>>
>>44777692
Take all the shit out after the #, it works fine then.
>>
>>44778920

I did and it's still acting up.
>>
>>44778943
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vx477quhxz4vt/Regend5Ling

Here comes the airplane! Vrrrrrr!
>>
>>44778965

I keep getting "connection reset" whenever I try to download something.
>>
I had a question, is it a good idea to take Gaijin Gear: Fork for an interesting character asset, or am I just being a stupid dumb asshole who wasted 5 xp on cutlery?
I'm a Tamori Sugenja if it matters
>>
>>44779891
You can turn an exotic trinket into a conversation piece. It's not illegal to own (As long as you are firm in telling anyone who asks that it was first obtained back when legal gaijin trade was happening).
Other than that, it's not going to see much use.
>>
>>44780026
>it's not going to see much use

That's the thing. Actually eating with it will probably get you looked down on by every traditionalist samurai you run into. Of course being a Dragon you're probably used to that, but even so.
>>
>>44780102
You could probably turn it into a party trick at a bar. "Hey everyone, look at this crazy gaijin way of eating!" and then you dramatically spear a bit of fish with your fork and take a big bite out of it.
>>
Huh.
So...peasants and commoners actually COULD carry swords after that law was passed? And did?
Fuck man. What DID L5R get right?
Anything? Anything at all?
>>
L5R isn't a historical japan wargame. It's a fantasy version of japan that is based on a romanticized idea of samurai culture.
>>
>>44780201
There's a reason why "Rokugan is not Japan" is commonly stated. It's really not. It's a 1300 year long fantasy setting loosely based off of random bits of a few hundred years worth of real history.
>>
>>44780275
I don't mind the fantasy stuff. I just mind that apparently I can't use the real world culture as an inspiration that often because of what the fluff says and HAVE to end up relying on the published setting info. Mostly because the published setting info can be really, really fucking bad sometimes and is rife with 90's TRPG bullshit.
I love the basics of the setting, I just want to elaborate on it more using related or similar stuff but apparently I can't because the setting says it's badwrongfun a lot of the time, which is a term I've literally never had to use and thought was completely made up until now.
>>
>>44780424
>badwrongfun
Oh wow, man.
If you think it's bad NOW you should've seen it back in the day when one of it's primary designers was a guy who's fundamentally against player choice.
4e is free as a fuckin' daisy by comparison.
>>
>>44780201
It kept out the spergs that couldn't understand intentionally not creating a perfect copy of Japan.
>>
>>44780424
>I just want to elaborate on it more using related or similar stuff but apparently I can't
... because "Rokugan Your Way!" was not an AEG catch phrase for years. They actually employed a hit squad of elite magical samurai to commit sudoku on anyone who dared use homebrew in their setting.
>>
>>44781342
Honestly, I'm pretty sure everyone ignores most of the canon material at this point; there's so much of it that so few people liked as it went in that just ignoring half of what AEG said or published and keeping the outline was a matter of course eventually.
>>
>>44781153
Hey be fair; those kind of spergs didn't exist yet in 1995 and you're not young enough or dumb enough to think that they did either.
They sperged about different sorts of stuff back then in games at the time.
>>
>>44780424
A lot of that attitude in the playerbase came from historical spergs who wigged out whenever L5R had the same kind of dissonance you get with a fantasy game set in not!europe.

Eventually it got to the point where someone shouted "Guys! Its not a Japan! Jesus!" and the term stuck.
>>
>>44781782
I wouldn't say most. The colonies were cool, and the idea of the taint and shadowlands becoming less "mordor" and more "actual japanese demons" (well, baby steps) was nice despite everyone freaking out about taint being less crippling.
>>
>>44781875
Take a look at Wick's shitty "historical" Japan game Blood and Honor.

It becomes pretty clear that L5R originally did set out to make an authentic Japan analog, it's just that the original main writer had no idea what the fuck he was talking about.

"Rokugan not Japan" was an afterthought, not the intent.
>>
>>44781935
I think teriyaki mordor is better than "yet another way to be Japanish". You could always get the tone of "actual Japanese demons" by being literally anywhere but Crab lands and using spirits. The shadowlands and the taint were fine how they were. Completely changing the metaphysics because the company executives had a massive Spider boner was not nice. Also, the Taint going from creeping soul death to superpowers that can be used on a whim and then abandoned was pretty cheap.
>>
>>44781935
I think the change in how the Taint worked was basically purely to continue promotion of the Spider Clan.
I mean I could be wrong, but every single story change or event for some time involved somehow promoting the Spider Clan without exception at that point, so I don't think I am.
>>
>>44782008
There's also the part where the taint wasn't actually held back. It was, as predicted by many players, actually just made invisible and undetectable. Because evil Jesus can do anything with his fat stacks of fiat power.
Also, because the taint wasn't actually withheld from the unwilling, the agreement was void and the Spider had absolutely no legit claim to the throne, or even to clan status.
>>
>>44781973
We should say "semi-authentic".
Obviously it wasn't Japan, but many of the societal details, social customs, and linguistic terms were meant to be very much based or lifted directly off of Japanese ones.

It's more that the broad strokes of the setting (the clans, the geography, the magic) were supposed to be unique while the smaller details were, but instead both were wrong.
>>
>>44782124
Yep. In the story, the only reason it was changed was because Daigotsu made an agreement with the Empress that he would change it if the Spider got to be a great clan.
It was complete bullshit, since the taint is the will of Jigoku itself and not even Fu Leng was able to directly control it. Daigotsu should have been even less capable, considering that he was fused with an Oni (A physical node of Jigoku's will) and had been tainted so hard that he shouldn't even be capable of independent thought regardless of oni-mixing.
>>
>>44782153
Daigotsu's fiat penis was truly immense.
Like unto a tetsubo was his fiat penis.
>>
>>44782224
Yeah, wasn't it that Fu Leng didn't START evil, but when he hit Jigoku he ended up that way?
>>
>>44782285
He may not have started evil, but his backstory certainly seems to suggest some kind of pre-existing moral failing before he fell into Jigoku. One has to wonder the Shadowlands would be such a problem if, say, Hantei had been the one to pierce the crust.
>>
>>44782244
they REALLY WANTED a thousand years of darkness i guess.

So the progressives were just total dupes huh? Jesus.

>>44782124
I know it was a Spider Clan work, I was just trying to find a positive spin on it like "letting crab samurai be off the wall".
>>
>>44782285
Pretty much. Fu Leng wasn't exactly good, but he was pretty severely flawed. He was stronger, faster, and more talented than his siblings, but he was also a coward and somewhat douchey.
All of the spirit realms have an equivalent to the taint. Ningen-do's "taint" is mortality. Jigoku's is very strong and because it actively seeks to oppose the correct ways, it does not limit its influence to its own plane of existence. That is why the shadowlands exist. If he had broken through to a different plane, it would still be a giant hole that spits out spirits, but it wouldn't affect the surrounding area nearly as much.
>>
>>44782414
>Chikushudo's taint is being a furry
>Sakkaku's taint is /b/
>>
>>44782414
That would actually have made for some pretty cool alt-histories for another Imperial Histories book; Fu Leng falls into a different spirit realm, and history proceeds from there.
>>
>>44782513
Well, for one thing, the first war wouldn't have happened, even if he fell into Toshigoku (Mostly because there just wasn't in there yet) and the Nezumi would still have an empire that might have clashed with the Rokugani.
>>
That's a neat idea. How would the empire look if Fu Leng fell with the other kami and Hentei fell into Jigoku? What if Fu Leng won the right to be emperor?
>>
>>44782124
The last storyline tournament before the FFG buyout pretty much boiled down to "winning clan gets to decide how the Spider gets to be awesome."

I said it before and I'll say it again, thank fucking GOD AEG isn't in control of the IP anymore.
>>
>>44782473
Chikushudo's control only takes effect if you voluntarily choose to stay there permanently. Then it turns you into a mundane animal spirit. Not the worst thing that could happen to you, but does take you entirely out of the kharmic wheel, which is bad.
Gaki-do only uses its control on its denizens and disruptive visitors. Its control is the endless hunger for unclean stuff. Go ahead and hang around (If you don't mind being fed upon by whatever gaki happen to be around), but don't try to take one home or you'll be eating shit with the best of them.
Jigoku is a greedy bastard with a greedy bastard control called the taint. You know how this works.
Meido's control is "Sit down and shut up until Emma-O tells you otherwise. Also, you won't get bored while doing nothing.". It enforces its control on its denizens (The recently dead). Feel free to hang around, just don't get in Emma-O's way and don't fuck with the stupified ghosts. He'll punt you all the way home with his giant metal foot if you do.
Sakkaku basically does make you /b/tarded. And it maintains its hold just long enough after you leave to spread a little /b/ cheer to your friends and loved ones.
Tengoku's control is actually stronger than Jigoku's, but it will only assert that control to stop troublemakers. Don't fuck around here, they'll make Emma-O look merciful.
Toshigoku slowly turns you into a slaughter spirit. But it wears off pretty fast if you leave.
Yomi uses its control to make you more awesome. That's literally it. A Crab becomes an awesome Crab. A Lion becomes an awesome Lion. ect. They don't mind visitor's either, although you shouldn't linger for too long, since you're supposed to be trying to get here legitimately instead of visiting.
Yume-do exerts no control unless you actively attempt to immerse yourself in its power. Then it gives you as much as you have the time and desire to take, right up until you become a creature of dreams and lose your connection to other realms.
>>
>>44782851
And then there's Maigo no Musha, the realm of thwarted destiny. It's pretty much like Meido, but without Emma-O.
And Ningen-do, as already said, exerts its control in the form of mortality. If you show up here and get even a little bit of ningen-do in you (It'll happen eventually, not even Jigoku or Tengoku can shield beings from this), you will die and go to Meido eventually. Unless you're heavily tainted by Jigoku. Then you go straight there, because Emma-O isn't interested in that malarkey and can bar the way to meido at will.
>>
>>44782559
They'd have to finally reveal what Fu Leng's original name was.
>>
>>44783373
Fu Leng's original name was Fu Leng, but then people started to question why only the evil god had a Chinese sounding name so they decided that wasn't actually his real name.
>>
>>44784000
That was back when "Jigoku" meant the sum total of the other planes and there were only 9 kami total.
>>
>>44777634
>>44777795
I had totally forgotten how in the "civilized" period of the samurai's rule you could go and register a complaint with another samurai's family and then any fucked up murder shit you wanted to do to them was then completely legal and aboveboard.
Can you even imagine how fucked up places like the US would be if people could request the government to legally sanction grudge killings? And imagine how state laws would come into it! Some states would be known for their high number of "legally justified vendetta slayings" or some ridiculous statistic like that.

Aaaaah, nothing is quite as amusing as real life.
>>
>>44777634
Illegal duels are frowned on, but expected. So long as no one dies or you return the loser's daisho to their family, local magistrates will overlook the odd duel or two. The family may or may not attempt to kill you in return, legally or not.
>>
>>44785488
I wouldn't be surprised if some magistrates get retroactive sanctions just to avoid the trouble.
>>
>>44780477
>fundamentally against player choice.

... Then why play at all? At that point you're just watching the GM masturbate all over his own story.
>>
>>44786018
Don't try to comprehend John Wick. Some things were not meant for man to know. Also, he's an ego-tripping douche.
>>
>>44786166
Wick thinks of himself as an "industry celebrity," I think that alone pretty much explains everything.
>>
>>44786166
>>44786203
Go home, Wick. You're drunk.
>>
>>44785768
Getting sanctions would be work. Corrupt or lazy magistrates would pin it on the nearest ronin, force a confession, then execute / sudoku / march them up to the dead samurai's estate so they can deal with it.
>>
Does anyone have any good music to go with a campaign? Like besides Last Samurai and Ran OST.
>>
>>44786640
There is only one answer
YOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nonshitposting one. Check out Total War Shogun I guess
>>
>>44780477
>If you think it's bad NOW you should've seen it back in the day when one of it's primary designers was a guy who's fundamentally against player choice.

Having actually played the game on and off since the beginning, L5R was probably at its best during the Wick years. The 1E books, especially the "Way of.." series were (mostly) spectacular. I remember buying them even when I only played the CCG just because they captured the world so well. The metaplot stuck to a single narrative without having tourney victories lead to colossally stupid shit, and Wick was willing to put his favorite clan through the grinder for a good drama instead of the blatant favoritism we saw with the Crane during Diamond and the Spider during Emperor. Clan War was the Golden Age of L5R. (Jade under WotC was kind of like a bizarre Silver Age, where the card game was actually pretty fun but things were just really zany. I remember when the Crane won a tournament that they were rewarded with losing Doji Reju to the Dragon, and the next tourney the won led to Kumo destroying their fields. Fun times.)

He deservedly gets shat on a lot for being a terrible GM but he's pretty decent at settings and story. It's part of what made 7th Sea work too, though I hear he's planning on going back to fuck it up now.
>>
>>44786242
Dude we're making fun of Wick, not defending him.
>>
>>44787100
That's exactly what Wick would do, in the hopes of getting someone to defend him. You're not going to fool me.
>>
>>44786864
Thing is Wick is good at writing shit only when he has someone there to look over his shoulder and tell him "no."

L5R 1e was some of his best work because he had dudes like Wulf there to keep him in line. When he works independently his true colors show and he goes completely of the rails and dives head first into the retard river.
>>
>>44782374
>they REALLY WANTED a thousand years of darkness i guess.

Yep. Being one of the Spider players in WC4, I was kinda pissed when I found out that no matter which side won the story wasn't going to change and the Spider were going to rebel.

>So the progressives were just total dupes huh? Jesus.

It was more design team/story team/corporate railroading. No matter which side won the Spider were going to rebel latter that year. Even if they had to create a vary stupid reason.
>>
>>44782513
>>44782374
I wanted the alt-history of Jade Stars, where the Spider Clan found its niche being the creepy science guys.
>>
Between the Hida Pragmatist, the various monk schools, and the Mantis Brawler, which is the most mechanically superior? More importantly, which one is more fun ?
>>
File: samuraisalot1-color.png (599KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
samuraisalot1-color.png
599KB, 956x619px
Saw some mentions of historical accuracy in the official art earlier. For my characters, I usually consult Ming-Ju Sun's "Japanese Fashion" book. It goes through most of the eras and details outfits from all social classes.

Also, I'll toss in some of my own L5R art. Various Great Clan doodles and current-game stuff's on my artblog http://petarvee.tumblr.com
>>
File: samuraisalot9-color.png (660KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
samuraisalot9-color.png
660KB, 956x619px
>>44787723
>>
File: samuraisalot7-color.png (648KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
samuraisalot7-color.png
648KB, 956x619px
>>44787731
>>
File: samuraisalot8-color.png (583KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
samuraisalot8-color.png
583KB, 956x619px
>>44787737
>>
File: samuraisalot11-color.png (443KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
samuraisalot11-color.png
443KB, 956x619px
>>44787746
>>
>>44787723
>>44787731
>>44787737
>>44787746
Do you do realism or is it all cartoon network ripoff style?
>>
>>44787757
I used to do realism forever ago, but that was sorta draining. Now it's Genndy Tartakovsky with a little bit of Alex Toth.
>>
>>44787809
Oh.
>>
>>44787593
They're all fun. The pragmatist hits things hard and hits them again when they fight back, while the brawler will generally dodge, weave, and ignore conditions.
Brotherhood types really depend on your use of kiho.
>>
>>44785488
>Magistrate: "Worthless scum! Why have you murdered this samurai and his wife and child?!"
>Samurai: "It's cool, I had this all sorted out, it's legal."
>Magistrate: "Hmm, your paperwork does seem to be in order. Okay, you're free to go!"
>>
>>44786640
Use the soundtrack for the Tenchu games, it's fucking sick.
>>
>>44787593
I personally found the Hida Pragmatist to be a bit mechanically better in play, but that's just a personal experience.
Both are pretty fun, because both Crab and Mantis don't give no fucks.
>>
>>44786640
>>44789269
Observe; http://youtu.be/aVEeGtO0Px4
>>
File: Baiken.jpg (108KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Baiken.jpg
108KB, 1024x768px
>>44742984
Is anyone running or getting a game together, that would be willing to accept a newcomer? I've skimmed the book a bit, and heard a lot about it, and I'm really interested, but I'd hate to spend a ton of time studying and learning everything about it, and have it be yet another game I'd love to play, but can never find a game for.
>>
>>44787809
Don't mind the haters, the caricure style lends immediate personality to the artwork.
>>
>>44786864
Yeah it was super great being crane and watching my boys win and then getting fucked over because fuck the crane I guess.

At least we're not the Lion, poor bastards.
>>
>>44787809
Oh dude I've seen your work before! Love your stuff.
>>
>>44742984

That lion looks like a victim of surprise anal.
>>
>>44791294
You can't trust those Beastmasters, man.
>>
>>44792983
Lions never call
on bold Matsu ancestors
lest lions answer
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.