[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So our GM is experiencing burnout and wants to play. I am thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: theborneidentity.jpg (547KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
theborneidentity.jpg
547KB, 1920x1080px
So our GM is experiencing burnout and wants to play. I am thinking about running running a game based heavily on Bloodborne as no one in the group has played it.

I'll be running it with Shadow of the Demon Lord which is a system that really fits the overall theme but there is a couple of issues I am running into.

One is how do you contain the players? A locked gate works great in a videogame, but is barely a challenge in an actual RPG.

How do I stop or discourage the players from breaking into every home in Yharnam, stealing everything that isn't nailed down and fleeing the city?

What kind of NPCs are they going to run into? Fromsoft have fucking enigmatic bastards that tell you next to nothing but that's part of the mystery, what's to stop players from grabbing Iosefka and just kicking the shit out of her until she tells them what they want to know?
>>
>>44739545
>One is how do you contain the players? A locked gate works great in a videogame, but is barely a challenge in an actual RPG.

You're in a Nightmare, what happens when you try to stray off the path?

You wind up right where you started.
>>
>>44739545
>How do I railroad my players?
>>
>>44739622
Yeah but the railroad though.
>>
>>44739682
Don't be shitty
>>
>>44739545

>How do I keep them from stealing shit and then fleeing

They have a disease.

Yharnam is the only place that would have a cure, if anywhere has it.

If you leave Yharnam, the rabid dickrot devours your scrotum and you die.

Just like it is in Bloodborne.
>>
>>44740155
Good advise thanks.

Ironically there is a spell in SotDL that melts peoples dicks off.
>>
Well in the game itself, it's the night of the hunt, everyone has barricaded their doors and many have gone mad or turned. So if your PC's try to break into a house, have said house be trapped to hell and back, guns rigged at the door, detonaters that trip when a windows broken, inhabitants that play dead and shoot you in the back. Yharnamites are crazy after all, plus if they actually find a person in the house said person is probably going to take every blood based narcotic they have in an attempt to fight them off regardless of what it turns them into. Heck if the PC's insist on attacking the townspeople, have a Hunter of hunters start tailing them.
>>
>>44742838
this is actually a great idea for any DM/GM that's looking into making their players stay on a set path without making it completely obvious to the players.

There is a way to bypass all the traps and such, but would prove to be way more difficult that it's worth, meaning, most likely the players would just move on, knocking on doors to be offered to come in, not just barging in, or trying to rummage around.

I think this is a brilliant idea, and would work well for you OP.
>>
Have a PDF for this system OP? I'm going to try running a Bloodborne campaign as well.
>>
>>44739545
I don't understand why you want to stop them from breaking into homes and fleeing the city exactly?
>>
>>44744528
There's lots of fun beasties to see in Yharnam, I imagine he wants them to see it all.
>>
>>44744540
So let them dick around and waste time if they want. Just make the outside portion fairly boring and they will eventually find their way back to the city
>>
File: 1451693680125.jpg (104KB, 1024x464px) Image search: [Google]
1451693680125.jpg
104KB, 1024x464px
>>44739545
simple

have it be done before the events of the game, and have them pick one faction (all players have to agree by majority)

Vileblood Knights or Executioner Initiate

once they pick a side, have the first few sessions be about low level world and faction building, with hints of what is about to go down soon

eventually, the Vilebloods send the party to kill hunters for blood dregs to advance in rank, and the Executioners are there to stop them. this is how you level them up before the main campaign, and this gives you time to work out any bugs in the system

the main campaign would consists of the assault on vileblood castle, with the eventual fall and destruction of both orders. this is how you prevent them from busting down doors and being generally murder-hobo

because you are further back in the timeline than what occurs in the game, you can have them meet the NPC's in the game, but because they haven't done what they will be known for in the game, you can attach consequence how you like for metagaming.

hell you can even do them as low level hunters during the Ashen Plague before the church rose up. they can kill beasts, meet friendly NPC's, and this way you can encourage exploration to root out as many beasts as you can
>>
>>44739801
>>44740146
well which is it?
>>
>>44739545
Are you planning on putting the Bloodborne hunter tools and weapons in? I'd like to know how you stat these things and how you treat trick weapons.
>>
>>44739545
The characters are essentially stuck in a dream world. Let them have the run of Yharnam and it's surrounding environs, but have them unable to actually LEAVE, something always getting in the way preventing them from getting away until they complete their quest and have the Old Man kick them out. Also it might be a good idea to have each player have a reason for being in the City. Trying to find the cure to some disease that's ailing them or a loved one. Maybe there trying to find someone in the city? If each character has a particular quest their less likely want to leave to begin with.

There's nothing really preventing them from breaking into houses and taking everything not nailed down....Though to discourage players I'd have pointed out there was likely a lot of looting already. Or point out that breaking into a Home in Yharnam might actually be really difficult considering the locals have to worry about Werewolves. More then one occupant probably also is probably aiming a pretty big rifle at the door ready to blow off the first head that pokes in. Finally there's also the fact that where the fuck would they store any of their loot? Worse, if they intend of taking it with them it'll likely just wiegh them down....Considering mobility and speed are key survival traits in Bloodborne? Yeah.
Also as for fleeing the city? There stuck in a dreamworld. :p

NPC's would actually be rather fun. I'd divide them up between Civilians who don't know shit and are just trying to survive the night.
Mobs who are trying to keep the beasts at bay.
Hunters who are doing their thing.
And then various members of the Conspiracies. (The Church for example.)
>>
>>44739545
If the players want to break into every home in Yharnam, let them. It's not like they'll find anything game-breaking in there. You shouldn't have to worry about them fleeing the city either, they didn't sign up for a Bloodborne game to run away from fights.
>>
Are there images and stuff in the official guide or anywhere on the internet that would be good for references?
>>
File: Darkest-Dungeon-Characters-1.jpg (89KB, 850x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Darkest-Dungeon-Characters-1.jpg
89KB, 850x1070px
>>44744473
There are many and more of us.
>>
>>44739545
>implying that Church sponsored temptress wont have them kicking down doors for her.
>>
>>44744473
>>44745485
I have the starter PDF here, it's missing magic and leveling up but it does have the system and character creation rules.

Unfortunately it's slightly to large to put here and I don't know how to pare it down properly.
>>
>>44745057
No plans to. They're ostensibly a mechanic of the game and not really required in a pen and paper.
>>
>>44747646
I personally am running a modified LotFP altered to simulate the fast combat using replacing HP with Health and Grit (Like a dodge bar) and expanding the depth of stances with weapon transformations and fast/hard AB.

It works well, and its a system that my players found easy to adapt to.
>>
>>44749155
I had considered that but with something like BB being a skill based game and most pen and paper being games of chance I don't know how to properly implement it.
>>
>>44749155
Have that written down anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing how it works.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.